Speaker 1: What is up, fellasicos. I am Dan Favalley coming at you with our annual buy or Sell the biggest Takeaways from NBA Summer League. Coming at You delayed this year for two good reasons. One, I have a guest on who's not grant first time. Yes, Stephen Gillespie of no draft No, my god, no drafts, no ceilings NBA always do that. Follow them on the Twitter machine at no Ceiling, No Ceilings NBA. And you can follow Steven on Twitter at steven g hoops. That's at s T E P h E n G h O O p S. Thank you so much Steven for coming on. This is also delayed though, because Lebron just doesn't care about our Summer League takeaways schedule.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, First off, shout out Lebron James for keeping the whole basketball community hostage. Hopefully this is the last time we ever have to worry about anything like that.
Speaker 3: But Dan, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You know, I see it on your shirt and you introduced you know that we're doing this for the sickos. It's it's so fitting that you're having me on because over at No Ceilings, my co host Jam and I we do a podcast and we are known as the draft sickos, So this just felt like it was kind of meant to be that we were going to be doing a show together. Man. But happy to be here, happy to talk summer League, and glad that we're starting this, you know, basketball relationship between the two of us.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see how the show goes and what the future holds for just us two kind of draft renegades here, but.
Speaker 1: I have enough of don't call me a draft run again. I chop her in for like a couple months a year on the guys who really gets to the NBA. But yes, I've been following no ceilings for a while, of course, and then you and Iron locked on knicks together and you were kind of to come on, let me pick your brain about rookies and sophomores, and you're gonna play buy or sell with me. I'm always I love when people are down to do that. So are you ready to get started?
Speaker 2: I could not be more ready, Dan, And I know I told you this on the side. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it here on the pod while we're recording, But you sent me the outline for the show, and I was looking at this and I got super jealous. Man, I'm like, how in the world did we never think to do something like this? Like I responded back to you, and I was like, Dan, I'm so excited to be on the show because this might be my most favorite line of questioning that I've ever been asked as a guest on somebody else's show.
Speaker 3: So I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: Dude, your Venmo's on the way. Thank you so much for that.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, Yeah, if you need me to, you know, spell the characters out so you can send that my way.
Speaker 3: Whatever you need to talk about it after.
Speaker 1: Well, you were much too conder, especially because the outline came late because again Lebron James. But we're gonna start with some of the top picks, and I'm interested. I just I would love to know your general thoughts on any of these guys. If you have ones that you don't think people have noticed or deviate from consensus, you could feel free to say that the buyer sell is stupid too. I always appreciate those as well. We will begin with the first overall pick in the draft. AJ debantsa my buyer cell. I have two buyer sells for him obviously because of who he is. My first buyer, cell is, do you buy, buy or sell that he will be more of a defensive playmaker in the NBA than he was in college, because that was one of my biggest concerns again during the minimal prep I did before the draft, and then it felt like he was just making coming up with more of those stocks for sure in general during during his brief summer lea extint, but also just more active defensively in general. Do you see that being a realistic equilibrium for him to strike at the NBA level.
Speaker 2: Dan, I'm buying it because listen when Jam and I when we do we do like these segmented like previews for the season where we talk about you know, incoming freshmen, returners, different position groups and all those things. When we were doing our freshman preview for this you know, this past year, I picked aj Debantsa to be one of the best perimeter defenders in all of college basketball. Now, it didn't work out that way for him at BYU, and that's for a number of different reasons. But if you watch the high school tape, and a lot of NBA teams will tell you that the.
Speaker 3: High school film does matter.
Speaker 2: It's not just the one season sample size at their school, you know, their collegiate school that they went to that dictates the future of these players.
Speaker 3: High school still matters.
Speaker 2: And when you watched when Aj was engaged, or when you watch him in like USA film or FIABA film or whatever, he would be locked in on the defensive end and his size. If he is locked in like he can be, I think that he can generate those stocks that we did see at Summer League. And I'm sure we're going to talk about this, you know, with the team construct and who else Washington has on this roster. The fact that AJ's not going to have to like shoulder the creative load at Washington like he had to do at BYU with Richie Saunders getting hurt in the other cast of characters that he kind of had to to kind of like during along if you will over at BYU. I think he's gonna have the latitude to be able to sell out a little bit more on the defensive end, and I think that's going to make it more impactful on that side of the floor.
Speaker 1: You mentioned him not having to be the primary creator, which I think leads into my next buy or sell with him, which is buy or sell him being a league average three point shooter out of the gate one of my biggest questions, and I just I'm a big believer in if you're a young team or you've a top prospect, there's value in streamlining, simplifying their role by having maybe someone who can handle the primary workload and they can do a lot of the secondary stuff. Trey Young feels like he might veer too far in towards the ball dominant direction, but I'm just curious how you feel. I guess about what ag is going to look like offensively on the Wizards in general, knowing he probably won't have the ball nearly as much as he did at BYU or even in Summer League, but also what you make of the three point accuracy overall, because that was one of the things that probably came away one of the only things I came away disappointed from based on what I had seen from him in summer league.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of different things that you could look at as to how much we should hold on to one season of college basketball determining, like how effective a player is going to be as a three point shooter once they get to the NBA. I actually did during Steph Castle's draft year because he was my number one prospect when he came out of his draft class. I actually did a piece on how much the shoot this three point shooting matter for the development of number one picks. And I went through and did a lot of data digging. I made charts and grafts for people who love those visual representations of how players improve over time.
Speaker 1: And dude, so you're saying Kevin Durant did not read it?
Speaker 2: What you're saying, Kevin Durant did not read well, maybe he did. I don't know. You know, I would never sell out whatever he does on the internet like some other people have to do over time. You know, Okadi, your seekers are safe with me. But people just get better at shooting over time in the NBA, Like these dudes are like top top tier athletes. And if you look, I even wrote a piece over at No Silings NBA dot com about Ajdavans and how far along, how much further ahead he is at his player type, you know. And I did research with Jimmy Butler, you know, Jalen Brown, like a whole bunch of these like power wings and forwards that kind of fit that ajdadvanced archetype. And he's so far ahead of where those dudes were in their draft year Dan that I just kind of hit I'm hitting the I believe button that he's gonna get better because we do see touch indicators in the mid range, the level of difficulty in which he can hit those shots, free throw percentage, the willingness to take three point shots actually is a good indicator of like how good these guys are going to be moving forward as well. So I'm buying that he's going to be a better three point shooter than whatever those numbers were be YU this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he was at like thirty three percent or whatever. And like the role difficulty I think is a big one. And he even as like the what will he land in Washington's pecking order, maybe two or three, he'll probably still average like eight free throws p thirty six minutes. That's the other people did not undersell his ability to get to the pre throw line at will. He's just like he goes through guys, He goes around guys. It's it's insane. And he's listed at six', eight six' nine.
Speaker 2: Sixty nine he could still, be growing.
Speaker 1: Right he look he looks like he might be. Seven foot he's one of those guys that came, with whoa he's way BIGGER that. I thought, he was just way bigger than. He listed when then. He's listed, Excuse, Me.
Speaker 3: YEAH and i think that there's something.
Speaker 2: To that, you know if you do what, we do eventually you do see clips of players on social media, and STUFF and aj kind of, funnily enough he admitted that, he flops, you know like it is a is a necessary part OF. Today's nba if you're going to be an offensive engine and if you're going to show her a, scoring load it's a. Learned skill like every even your, favorite player your favorite best player IN, the nba they. Do it you KNOW what. I mean it's a.
Speaker 3: Necessary Evil.
Speaker 1: Darren peterson speaking, OF people I said aj looked bigger than he. Was Listed, DARREN peterson i came away think he looks a little smaller than. He's, listed okay. My question he was one of the people and you had also. Mentioned this we're saying high school. Tape MATTERS when i was talking about him or thinking, about him a lot of smart draft people said you need to watch the high, school tape so very minimum OF it i, could see like the athletic pop, ON ball i FEEL like i didn't, see it as he could do a lot of things. On ball in, summer league it did like A ton he was a better PASSER than i was. Expecting to i'm Still just i'm not SURE where i land on the on ball athleticism or thrust. With him And so i'm going to ask you to buy or sell the Idea That darren peterson's on, ball athleticism ability to create separation or whatever. Is OVERRATED am i jumping the?
Speaker 2: Shark here i'm going to respectfully sell To WHERE and i know where we're going with the next part of. This TOO so i do think it is kind of like threading a needle here. TO where i do think that he does give you good on, ball juice. YOU know i think that there is a good portion of him that where you can trust him on the ball to blow pass players and stuff. Like that if you get him on these like, stampede actions, you know running off of screens away from, the ball you can trust him to do a bunch of. Different things and watching him at summer league, you know he did do some some very good you know on ball creation and.
Speaker 3: That respect now with that.
Speaker 2: Being said i'm not gonna sit here and tell you that he should be like a lead lead guard or anything. LIKE that i think it's great that he's going to a Team Where keyontae george is going to be able to kind of like assist in. That nature but the other Aspects Of darren peterson's game are just flat. Out special he was my number one prospect on my BOARD because i do think that he does have, creation ability but he has such an easy shot, as well, you know like the thing is just butter as he's. Shooting IT and i like his defensive tools. As well and for all the, you know extracurricular conversations that happened with him. This year Dan if if this Year, at kansas which was not a, great ecosystem he was one of only two players on the team that shot over thirty five percent from deep, this year and his coach didn't have his back like throughout most of. The season to put, it nicely, if shooting if scoring twenty points per game on forty forty eighty is like a bad year, for him then there's a lot of goodness to look Forward To.
Speaker 1: WITH peterson i have no notes on the shooting or the. Floater specifically he's able to get those things. Off quickly my other buyer sell. WITH him i don't have two. FOR everybody, i, promise well you KNOW that i take you to the outline try or sell him being a better table Setter Than donovan mitchell as his. Career outcome i'm going to.
Speaker 2: Push that you know you SAID that i can kind of of teeter. Between that i'm gonna cheat a little bit here as the first Time guess i'm. GONNA push i think that he can be, as good which for what he can do as, A score i think. IS awesome i think you picked an excellent like over under in terms of you of how you want to classify him as. A playmaker if you would have did like just a half, step down it's an. Easy Buy But donovan mitchell is known as a score first guy with good on, ball, Juice RIGHT but I just i think that he's more wired as a as. A score so if he is able to read and understand like the pressure that he can apply and how much attention that's going to attract from away from the defender of. HIS teammates i think that he can be just as effective on the ball in every in every aspect as as who are we? Talking about who We're Talking? Donovan, mitchell, thanks yeah sorry. ABOUT that I completely i completely.
Speaker 1: Blink there, it's late total. Get it what, is up. Fellow sickos you're listening to this episode right now, thinking wow it would be so cool if there were no ads.
Speaker 4: On it we have the power to make this the last ad you. Ever hear and that's not, a threat it's more of. A promise the best way to support the podcast is to Join, our patreon which you can do at patreon. Dot Com, SLASH hardwoodknocks nba tons of. Perks there in addition to the promise of and. Not threat can't emphasize that enough of no, more ads which is a. Huge bonus we're going to do a Couple of patreon subscriber only pods. Every month you get access to. Our discord you just get to be a bigger part of. This community you get our, sincerest appreciation which really can you put a price? On it if you want to support, the pod that is the best way to. Do it thank, you again, as always for listening and, For watching and.
Speaker 1: Now back to. The Show cam boozer has been a fascinating prospect for me PERSONALLY because i read and heard a lot about HIM before i really dug in and. Watched him so my opinion of him was not the greatest, going in and then when you start to, WATCH him i, came away, blown away and summerly didn't change that. For me and so the worst buy or sell on him is buy or sell him being able to play or provide more defensive pressure on the perimeter or even be used as a day facto three than most. People THINK and i understand that's probably like a vague way of, putting IT but i think a lot, of people, myself included initially where he's just this one, position guy especially on the, defensive end where he might even be like a half positioned guy. Or something and seeing Him In summer league Where the grizzlies did do a lot of pressing and everyone's gonna remember the pick six he Had On caleb wilson in, THAT game i was, just like what ELSE am i just gonna learn about this GUY that, i like we're Gonna have my opinion of Completely flipped.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna and this may not shock some people if they listen to ANYTHING that i do the, Draft coverage i'm gonna. SELL it i still am skeptical of the perimeter defense With. Cam, Booser now i'll tell You that i'm gonna buy the offensive use that he has on, the BALL and i feel much more comfortable than what my projection of him was Coming Into summer league on. That end but on the, DEFENSIVE end i still think that against the elite wings that he's going to have to go up against on a, night in night out basis IN, THE nba i think that he's still going to have so much room to grow on, that END where i feel much more comfortable with him being a four on both ends of. The, floor now can he like show and recover and, you, know scramble recover all these? Different, Things sure but in terms of like going and guarding the best players IN, the nba which typically do play that, Three position i'm still a little bit more skeptical.
Speaker 3: Of that.
Speaker 1: What would you need just around him with To try campbooser at? The five like who would have to be his ideal front? Court Partner Does aaron Gordon Healthy aaron gordon Or og ananobi even do it or does it need to be.
Speaker 2: SOMEONE else i think you have to have like both of.
Speaker 3: THOSE guys i think that it's GONNA and.
Speaker 2: I mean this would love. YOU know i, Never like i'm never one of the people who are.
Speaker 3: Like this guy's like wash the bomb.
Speaker 2: Or WHATEVER but i think that you have to have a team just completely complimented with. SWITCHABLE people, i think, you know Like A columbary Boils for toronto would be. The ideal oh sort of a player that you would want to put next to him to where they. Can swap and there's the ATHLETICISM that cnb Has that i'm not Quite sure cam is going to have that like vertical pop to. His game that's going to be required for him to contest the significantly larger people that he.
Speaker 3: Has to go.
Speaker 2: Up against and he looks like he lost weight too For, summer league which is great for him to do more, Perimeter stuff but if you're asking him to play full, TIME five i think that he went in the wrong direction in terms of The weight.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna i've not been giving my own opinion. ON it I think i might buy the. DEFENSE part i DON'T think i don't want him to be, a THREE but i think he might be able to provide more pressure up. Top consistently summer league. Pilled though they say don't read too much in the, summer league and HERE here i am doing.
Speaker 2: Just that you're only supposed to do it if it supports whatever agenda that you have correct the.
Speaker 3: Player's, PERFORMANCE right i.
Speaker 1: Need to start coming up with stats and statistical models that only prove, my AGENDAS because i feel like that's that's also a BIG key.
Speaker 2: I whatever we need to do to make that. Happen again we'll name it.
Speaker 1: Boozer too they're all named, after players, now right name. It boozer just got to come up with an acronym. For.
Speaker 2: IT yeah i love the ones that are named After, Like darko, like, yeah like why is there a stat named.
Speaker 1: After dark THAT'S how i. Feel like that's how you know it's probably like as accurate as a catchup can be is if it's named after a forget About the lebron all the. People drink, these stats by, the way, are great but Forget about Lebron or raptor Or there's, Draymond, right uh There was. Carmelo too at ONE point i think that fell by, The way but there Was a carmelo.
Speaker 2: We need Like a gimmer or At the beat or. Something something, it's like the name is so great that you know you can.
Speaker 3: Trust it what.
Speaker 1: Would a hoizonia stat be since he's coming back TO, the nba what would? That, MEASURE yeah.
Speaker 2: I, don't know maybe on offs from INTERNATIONAL, To, nba, like yeah how that translates the?
Speaker 3: WINS losses i think there's.
Speaker 1: Something there do you buy or sell the idea That camp boozer should Be the rookie Of the year favorite heading into. THIS season i didn't look at the betting ODDS before i wrote. THIS down i would ASSUME that aj is. The favorite that'd be. My GUESS but i think my pick right now Would be boozer when trying to factor in who's going to have the longest runway and even just the opportunity and usage on the. OFFENSIVE end i.
Speaker 3: Haven't looked at the.
Speaker 2: ODDS either i Would pick darren JUST because i think IN the i think that SO many i think so, many STATS and i know that you pay attention, to this like as someone who covers the. League nationally so much of the voting now is based on, WINS that i Think that utah has a really good shot OF being i know that they've been losing on, purpose forever but if you look at the roster construction for, YOU to i think that they probably have the best shot of winning out of, You, Know, Washington, chicago Memphis and utah with everyone else on. THAT team i think that if he looks good on this team and they're like a ten or a nine seed coming out Of, THE west i think that He's probably rookie Of the.
Speaker 1: Year FAVORITE what i find INTERESTING is i would almost view it like in, the opposite through the opposite lens, of saying if He wins rookie Of, the year there's been no. In between it's not a nine. Or ten it's either they won fifty plus games and he was a huge part, of it or they just ended up being bad and so he got way bigger of. An opportunity because RIGHT now i feel as if he plays alongside everyone on that team is very complimentary of one another and plug. And play but in theory he is even if you view him as your secondary Ballhander Like lowry Market And Jaron jackson Junior And keyante george are all ahead of him in the. PECKING water i also am curious as to what we see more because of how maybe not maybe deep is the wrong Word, for Utah Like ace bailey is there, as well and they are they not Gonna Give darren peterson as long. Over runway early on in the season when looking at, crunch time, you know you had to ask me who plays more crunch time minutes? This season and is Is It cam Boozer Or? DARREN peterson i might Still pick boozer even Though the grizzlies in theory should be worse Than, the jazz but they have a LOT of nba guys on. Their roster he Would be i'm trying to think who The last rookie Of the year that came from a really good. Team was It's Probably. SCOTTIE barnes i Think those raptors won did His his rookie of? The year they won? Forty eight I'm making.
Speaker 2: I'm, thinking like what did What did brogden look like in the year that he?
Speaker 3: Won it On?
Speaker 2: The?
Speaker 3: Bucks? Too like is that too?
Speaker 1: Far back So the raptors did win forty eight During the, brogden Year the bucks won. Forty, two Sorry the bucks won forty two During the. Brockden Year the raptors won forty eight During The staddy. Barnes YEAR so i don't think THAT.
Speaker 3: It's i don't think it's out of the Question that utah could win. That too and if you talk about like.
Speaker 2: What, He Brings jaren laurie like so much of that front court kind of. Feels duplicative it's almost like they Need what darren can bring to the table and, He had like to, your point they're so complimentary of each other where you just need a guy who can come in and.
Speaker 3: Eat twenty points on.
Speaker 2: High EFFICIENCY and i think That's what darren can, do there and if It helps utah go from being laughing stock of the league the past couple of seasons and we trust and we actually kind of secretly like the coach, there too even though he hasn't been given license to.
Speaker 3: Win yet is it even?
Speaker 1: A secret i think everybody, LIKE well i thought he would get fired at one point because they would win too many games, under him.
Speaker 2: Winning too, Many GAMES but i think they have like the they're kind of like the wolves and sheeps closing if. You WILL and i just think that winning Is if utah can go back to their winning ways and this is like such a historically winning franchise that if they can go back to That and darren is putting up, you know primaries scoring numbers on the team that has like A defensive player Of the year candidate To most improved Candidate, and kyante they got floor spacing that's going to open up the driving lanes.
Speaker 3: For, HIM like i just think that.
Speaker 2: The path for him, is easier Where, like boozer sure like he could go on that team and and put, Up NUMBERS but i think that those two to me are like the one and. THE two i don't Know how AJ's gonna look with Eighty and trey being on the team and like how much he's going to be allowed, to do and then.
Speaker 1: They might NOT have nba Spacing and washington, quite frankly depending on the lineups.
Speaker 2: They're running and speaking OF no, NBA spacing, i Mean, hello chicago you know, they slap, They should they, Sure SLAP but i.
Speaker 1: Don't Know josh getty is like one of their two. Best shooters that's never really a great spot to.
Speaker 3: Be in what?
Speaker 1: A segue you're a, professional podcaster h could you seguate us To The Bulls. CALEB wilson i have to do. This one this is the low, hanging fruit but historically three point volume, is among if not the Absolute stickiest summer league stat as they like to. Call, it so are you buying or selling thirty one attempts During? Summer league what do you play like just one hundred and Whatever minute it wasn't even like one hundred and twenty minutes or whatever it ended. Up being do you buy or sell the three point Volume From.
Speaker 2: Caleb wilson i'm, buying. It Dude and i've been A Faithful caleb wilson follower all. Season long, you know when people were commenting on his defense, being laughable or when people were talking about well he, doesn't shoot or the injuries or whatever the case. Might be i'm looking at a GUY who i compare to as like This Generation zamari stodomer and with the potential to be a better defender because of the length that, he has the timing that. He has, you know.
Speaker 3: He's got the.
Speaker 2: Right mindset the, thing that more so than Anything about CALEB that i buy moving forward is just him as a person and the work ethic that he's shown over the past several, seasons motivated, you know has stuff staved on his background to motivate him, before games like this Is Some michael Jordan Stuff chicago.
Speaker 3: BULLS fans I.
Speaker 2: Just i'm buying whatever this kid wants. To do i'm not going to be the one to tell. Him no and the fact that he went out there and attempted and made more Threes In summer league than he did in AN entire, unc season which to, be fair that team was. Pretty limited they did make a coaching change after he left and, was injured and it was pretty apparent that he was the gum and paper clips holding that. Team together i'm not selling him short. Of anything the touch indicators, were there like he was hitting these like reclining mid range fadeaway shots over multiple defenders. In college, you know he's solid free. Throw shooter even the shots that he, did take like the motion didn't. Look busted he just had to do so much around the RIM for unc comparatively to the other prospects that were on, that roster and he showed good playmaking, touch too, you know SO like i buy him being able to he could be as good as he wants. To Be like i'll put it to you, Like, That, dan like if he wants to be a three, point shooter he's going to be a three. Point shooter if he's going to be a, point forward he he he'll. Do it, You Know i'm I'm but i'm buying the shot to answer the, Question here so.
Speaker 1: You're buying the next. One too the idea of just his on. Ball OFFENSE and i mean what you said point foward is a great descriptor rather than Just like i'm not even talking about just like the catch and fades on. The block i'm talking about like being able to they set a ball screen at the top and you want him to attack. That way you buy the idea that he could do that. AS well.
Speaker 2: I do i mean we saw that in college. Even too, you know we saw it in. High school when he grabs, a rebound he wants to be the one to push. The brake, you know, he's long, he's athletic he covers a lot. Of ground he's a heads up dribbler for his, position too which speaks to how advance he is at. His age we saw That At summer, league too where he was so perimeter ORIENTED that i, was, Like, hey caleb don't forget what got?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 2: Here dude like you fantastic finisher around. The BASKET but i also understand that he's trying to modernize his game and show what he can do away from.
Speaker 3: THE ball i think that he can, do that.
Speaker 2: But it's it's all gonna be contextual On what chicago does with the spacing. Around him you know You Hopefully matas rose is a three. Point shooter we just got done Talking about giddy might be the best three point shooter on. The team he's gonna need some help to get. It done but, YOU know i think if altering s, break right he could be a really good on ball creator IN the nba.
Speaker 3: As, WELL yeah.
Speaker 1: I did i was impressed with the handle On The summer league FILM that i saw. From him i'm Looking at chicago's roster right now because you said something About like giddy and. The shooting if we wanted to Build A caleb wilson plus, SHOOTING lineup i don't even think we could Because There's norman Powell And josh giddy and you would HAVE.
Speaker 3: To i was gonna get, shots, UP right i.
Speaker 1: Guess so like they Do Have jalen Smith and Zach, collins man that'd. BE rough I Like. Leonard miller it's not a lot of shooting on, this Team so i'm curious to see What his and Also with Giddy and powell there and Even Just trey Jones and Rob dylling hamiston on, this team curious to See What caleb wilson's offensive role ends up. Being in there's no one who should usurp him in the, pecking order but just by virtue of the talent that's, Around him i'm curious to see how they deploy him in.
Speaker 2: Year, One YEAH and i think that's a perfect way to look at. It TOO and i think so we get so wrapped up about like do it NOW that i don't know how many people are gonna watch Her One kleb wilson and, Just, think kad this is going to be all that we can ever expect, of him because he's clearly shown from college to summer league, at least that there's so much more to be unearthed within. His game he's just going to have to be in a good system that allows him to be able to.
Speaker 1: DO it i would not have had him hitting even if it was even if that was the only game where play score thirty FIVE points i never would have had him hitting these off the dribble threes would have not been on My Summer league. Bengal, card no not.
Speaker 2: AT all i mean in that set of key debut record by, the way that thirty.
Speaker 1: Five Points Just blake griffin used to, have, it right yep.
Speaker 3: Mm, hmm yeah which good company to.
Speaker 1: Be in that's not bad HE turned I Think blake griffin turned out. All, right yeah he.
Speaker 3: Was, fine yeah he eventually turned into a, Shooter too.
Speaker 1: THAT'S right i think my favorite Version Of blake griffin was like the one healthy season he Had in detroit.
Speaker 3: Because he wasn't.
Speaker 2: Doing, anything, yeah, Yep, absolutely okay no.
Speaker 1: Pressure here this Is a this is One of dan's draft darlings in so far as you could be a darling when you're in the conversation for a top, Seven pick Mike Kel. Brown jr will be the best guard prospect of that four guard glutt Looking At, Keaton WOGGLER. Darius A, Cuff Junior, Kingston flemings buy? Or sell.
Speaker 2: This is tricky and anyone who covered the draft or paid attention to the draft even late into the cycle knows that this, draft class yes the top four like made a bu bunch, of headlines but the identity of this draft class was defined by the freshman guards who provided so much of this class's depth, This year so it ultimately became super tribalistic in the terms, Of like i'm a part Of Tribe mikel Brown or darius Acufb Junior brandon BURRY'S and i don't believe anything that these other guard tribes. Are saying it's really DIFFICULT because i Really Like Mikel. BROWN jr i Said that my comp for him all season long was This is LaMelo ball with.
Speaker 3: Defensive UPSIDE and i mean it's just on.
Speaker 1: The COURT that's i interrupt JUST because i did not hear you. SAY that i Called him lamello ball with a defensive conscience when we were, doing UH when i did my draft pre draft Pod With. Jonathan wasserman so just that to interrupt and throw that.
Speaker 2: In there how serendipitous again that we are doing a podcast are draft?
Speaker 3: In engage see you know, you're proven.
Speaker 1: YOU'RE pasi i can come in and say things like This where i'm like these are like you should not as someone who is so deep into the draft like. These are i'm so detached from covering. These guys that's easy for me to throw out borderline. Inflammatory THINGS so.
Speaker 2: I gotta step up. MY game i Gotta step.
Speaker 1: You're doing this. Smart approach i'm the one who like sees these Guys In summer league and does filmwork before the draft, Was Like Michil, BROWN junior i already know he's gonna be the best of these. Four guards, I've decided, OH.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean i'm not ruling. It out like there are a lot of dudes That know silings who have HIM as, pg one and we're gonna talk about other guards too throughout, this episode where like it's not gonna surprise me if, he is but he's not my favorite to, do IT so i don't know if that qualifies as, a push but if you have him as your favorite guard or the, top, Pick like i'm not gonna rule. It out we saw It At summer, league too how creative this. Guy is and he's SOMEONE who i CALLED and i compared Him To kingston FLEMINGS and i kind of Low balled flemings early on in the year to WHERE as i looked At Mi keil BROWN and, i said if you just look, at him move on. The court he's like a joystick player out there on, the COURT where i Called like flemings a, dpad player, you know for you gamers. Out there so mikel is just, SO flexible bindi creative sees the floor like maps out where everyone is going to be before he.
Speaker 3: Hits these drives and.
Speaker 2: He has he is not shy at, all about, you know getting the flashiest pass. Off possible but he connects on. Him too, he's athletic, he's bouncy he plays. Good defensively this kid still might even be, Growing Too, DAN like i think this guy is so skinny because he's constantly he's been on a perennial growth spurt over the past like. FOUR seasons i don't know if he's. Even done so.
Speaker 1: Six going on, six seven six eight Is basically.
Speaker 2: I'm, not lying like he could Be What sean livingston was supposed.
Speaker 3: To be, you know.
Speaker 1: You Mentioned, kingston FLEMINGS who i was not a. FAN of i would say, AFTER not i want to say not a. FAN of I wish i want to be wrong about Anyone who i'm not high on for. The draft That's what i'll. ROOT for i came away From something league a little bit more impressed, with him and it had almost nothing to do with, his offense like some of the passing was. Really THERE but i have questions about his finishing on. THE rim a lot of people have talked about his on ball juice and like it's, clearly THERE but i was expecting MORE when i was Seeing The derrick Rose And john, Morant COMPARISONS so i have questions about. The finishing the defense might actually. Be, insane though where are you At With? Kingston flemings and do you buy or sell the idea that he will become like a caps locked dangerous finisher IN. THE Nba m i'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna sell, the FINISHER but i don't think that that's going to limit how good he, can be if that. Makes SENSE like i think he's so good at the everything else aspect of being a guard IN the nba that even if he is just, like average then you're still have a very. Dangerous player like how good of a Finisher Is, Alex caruso like how good of a Finisher Is? Cassan wallace, you know how good of a finisher are those types of guards and doesn't matter compared to like what they provide your team and SOMETHING that i kind of had a Revelation With kingston flemings, Myself too dan to where like all, season long, YOU know i spoke about how tribalistic we got with the guards all, season long like covering, the Draft and, i'm LIKE do i want.
Speaker 3: This guy to be my on?
Speaker 2: Ball Creator like i'm looking at him Compared to mike the Aforementioned, Mikeel Brown, Darius Akuff, Keeping Wogger brandon burry's like he's so much of his identity was wrapped up in his two way ability That if i'm asking him to be my sole source, of creation is he going to be able to expend all that energy that makes him so special on the. Defensive, end well then he gets Drafted to atlanta AND then i do, you know one of my favorite Exercises that i've ever done is you know my uh post draft like the environment adjusted mont graft IS what i caught.
Speaker 1: It incredible but that's an. Incredible concept by, THE way i didn't mean to interrupt. YOU there i think that that's you were mentioning it when we Did The Lockdown nick show the, other week and that's that's just a FANTASTIC because i think we, forget, so like even in this in the Context Of summer, league rosters if you're looking at Someone Like, kingston flemings who's responsible for driving, the offense playing with guys he's not, familiar with most of most of whom are not going to MAKE an. Nba roster on the, flip side when we're talking, about bigs which we, eventually will, it's well they're prodeed on getting the ball out of the times and they're on rosters that aren't geared towards, doing that like with the. Most talentable so that's just that's a home run concept. BY you, i plauded. NOT not I swear i'm not even blowing smoke just because you're on. THE show i thought when you, SAID it i was, just like that's. Fucking, COOL.
Speaker 3: Well I appreciate i, appreciate THAT and.
Speaker 2: I don't i'm not gonna sit here and Pretend like i'm the FIRST one i ever thought. Of IT but i went through and did, the exercise AND once i found Out That kingston flemings was gonna be, on it and they're one of the few TEAMS and I think toronto operates a lot like. This, too dan it's like the team is the. Point guard so he's going on a team where You, know DANIELS gnaw, Cj McCollum. JALEN johnson i think combined they all average close to like twenty assist, a game just like as. A collective so if he's going to a team where the team is the point guard and he can sell out on the defensive end and he can be a nuisance in transition and he can still alleviate some of that creation load off of them, as well then he ended up being fifth on my board JUST because i think that he gets to be all the best parts of himself and he's so well insulated that it's going to allow him to develop in those other areas.
Speaker 3: Of concern, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah i'm in terms of like the, FINISHING stuff i, don't KNOW but i don't think that it's gonna matter as much based on where.
Speaker 3: He landed.
Speaker 1: So you don't think it like when it to his just shot profile, in general where we know he's mid. Range heavy but do you do you view him after having watched him for so much then looking at him in the context of this team as someone wh will at least develop into a multi level score just because even the three point volume in school and in summer league, was higher but it wasn't. Astronomically high he's not known, as that even though the percentages at school.
Speaker 2: WERE fine i think that he has every, opportunity to, you Know on Yuko kong wu grews a three point shooter this, Season too so when you have a four, spacing five that changes the geometry on the court. So much they BROUGHT. Back, cj McCollum who's a reliable. Knockdown shooter naw really took off. This Year Nikhil alexander walker took off.
Speaker 3: On this team.
Speaker 2: This Year dyson daniels is going to hold you back a. Little Bit jalen johnson isn't the best three, point SHOOTER but i think there is enough three point shooting on this team that's gonna give him every opportunity that he wants to improve as a finisher around. The RIM so, I mean I guess I'm just IT'S like i would sell IT if i like water gun to, MY head i would. Sell IT but i don't feel great, about it, you KNOW like i don't have like a strong, either way it's probably a clean push. For Me.
Speaker 1: Darius acuff junior buy or sell him having the most frustrating shot selection among rookies. Next year that's my way, of SAYING as i put this in, THE notes i don't have any idea what to think of HIM when i watch him the aesthetics of. HIS game i want to, love HIM but i come away thinking he's going to get. SOMEONE fired i feel like he could also get someone like hired or, to extension so there he feels like a real boom or. BUST guy i just haven't seen nearly as much of him as you And some i'm curious where you land on The Whole darius acuff. Junior experience.
Speaker 2: I'm conflicted with this one, because listen, you know people probably can hear my accent and probably Guess that, i'm from like Somewhere, around ARKANSAS which i am So big. Acuff supporter EVEN though i didn't really like him that much. COMING in i had him ranked in the twenties in my pre board coming into, THE cycle I just.
Speaker 3: I didn't like.
Speaker 2: The shots, IT'S funny i didn't like the shot selection that he showed in, high school but then he Comes to arkansas and he's a three. Level scorer and he's also one of the best playmakers in this entire draft, class too which was the biggest CONCERN that, i had, was like what is this guy going too at look like as a facilitator? For Others But man sacramento really does a great job of making your most bold opinions of a player a little bit more watered down than you would like them, to be you KNOW what. I MEAN LIKE i i don't know if they could have drafted ANYBODY and i would have felt, great about, you know like that the highest end upside potential of being actualized on. That team to answer the question is as painful as it is for me, To say i'm probably buying that the shot selection is going to be not for the faint, of heart just because he's going to be asked to do so much creation on this. Team Too Like, MEET clifford i think his stock took a little bit of, a hit as big of a Hit As summer league can give you in, terms, of like, you know ball handling duties. AND responsibilities i did not LIKE what i saw From maxim reino like as a facilitator from the big man Position At summer league. This YEAR either i just think there's gonna be so much put on his shoulders and he's gonna be asked to put up a lot of grenades and a lot of bill out possessions and stuff like that for this team that it's not going to. Be Pretty so i'm probably buying the frustration that's gonna come along with the shot Chart WITH.
Speaker 3: Darius a cuff.
Speaker 1: Junior, here yeah it'd be interesting if he had been drafted by someone like one of these. Other teams had had it Been, the clippers had it Been, the nets had it Been. The hawks i'm curious If the king stigma is coloring my impressions of his summer league and him. In general that's a. Fascinating question The, Final well I'm A braden, burry's guy so technically in the Fine But keaton wabla like SOMEONE who i want to be the best guard of anyone we're. Talking ABOUT but i wanted to know buy or sell his ability to consistently puncture the paint AT the nba LEVEL because i came Away From summer league and feel like he was just getting bumped off of course a ton and it was more than just to me. At, least oh he needs to and will get stronger and this will.
Speaker 2: Resolve itself i'm selling the paint Puncturing For keaton wogler and.
Speaker 3: So much of his success, last year which.
Speaker 2: Was fantastic by, The way we're talking about a guy who was ranked outside like the top one fifty among a lot of reputable grassroots. Scouting services so this wasn't like a campaign to keep him out or anything. Like that just so many people either didn't see enough of him or what they, did see he didn't blow, him away even though we're talking About Like gatorade player Of the year coming out of the State, of kansas And somehow kansas didn't, recruit him by.
Speaker 3: The, way Interesting But.
Speaker 2: Keaton wogler, his season he played with a lot of Upperclassmen at illinois who made his life easier and even played Next To, colin boswell who's a, very strong powerfully built fire hydrant of a, point guard and just a lot of dudes with A Professional european european basketball experience that he was put in a system to Where Coach brad underwood does a great job of putting his guards in the. Right position but he's to, your point he's a little thin now he does clear this magical number of one hundred and eighty pounds that he weighed in at the combine to where you can for, WHATEVER reason i don't know the science. Behind it it might be a worthwhile thing to, Look, Into dan but for, whatever reason if you hit one hundred and eighty pounds like your your chances of survival IN the nba. Looked great like one eighty was exactly What Shake gilgis alexander weighed in AT his. Nba combine if he was one hundred and seventy, nine pounds, who knows if we're talking about, A.
Speaker 3: Champion i.
Speaker 2: Don't Know but keaton, cleared it so he has a good shot of being as good as he could possibly be IN.
Speaker 3: THE nba.
Speaker 2: I didn't i still did, worry about like his contacted version Playing.
Speaker 3: At illinois but the thing.
Speaker 2: That kept me In On keaton wogler as opposed to completely selling out on the like his unwillingness to get into the paint or dunk or Anything at illinois was the fact that he is a lights out three. Point shooter and we did see That At summer League right like there was almost like the safety blanket, of, like hey if, everything hits we might have the Next Shake gilgus alexander Here With. Keith walker but worst, case scenario we might also have the best three point shooter within this draft at good size and could play both.
Speaker 3: Guard, Positions Right so.
Speaker 2: I'm selling the. Paint puncturing but he still showed that he is every bit as dangerous from outside the three point line as he was.
Speaker 1: In, college yeah he remains my second favorite of. THE four i don't know when we've band it, TO five i don't know if he's still the second Favorite Because. BRAIDEN burry's i was intrigued by him going into, the draft and then one of my questions was, just, like well what would he look like if you were doing more? On ballwork and so now we're on the opposite end of the spectrum HERE where i need to ask you to buy or sell his ability to provide on, ballroom pressure which he did in spades During The.
Speaker 2: Zummer league you could ask buy Or Sell braiden Burry's and.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna, say bye no matter what the rest.
Speaker 2: Of it no matter what the rest of that, comment is as long as, it's like do you believe that he can? Do something the answer to that question is always going to. Be yes actually, had him so in terms of THE guards I Had, MIKE keel I HAD. Darius A, CUFF. Junior, Mikel Brown braiden Burry's Than, keith, WOGGLER.
Speaker 3: Right i wanted To put.
Speaker 2: Braiden higher but to, your point we just didn't see him do so much on. The Ball But braiden burry's is gonna serve as like a like a tent pole philosophy shift for me moving forward in terms, OF like i don't care if we didn't see him do as much on.
Speaker 3: The BALL do i buy?
Speaker 2: The? Physicality YES do i buy?
Speaker 1: The?
Speaker 3: Touch YES do i buy?
Speaker 2: The? Defense yes is this? Dude does does he have a screw loose in the best?
Speaker 3: Way?
Speaker 2: Possible absolutely. You KNOW and i started doing like some podcasts like as the draft was, Ramping up dan for Like some arizona based, you know coverages for like the, you Know the wildcasts Or The phoenix suns, or whatever and so many people kept bringing up the story about How coach Lloyd at arizona told him after a, few, games, like dude what's? Going on you're Like mister, California.
Speaker 3: Here you're one of the best scorers in. The class what's?
Speaker 2: Going on he, Was like i'm Worried that i'm gonna step on the toes of this like Very. Senior layden there's like a great mix of Like, senior leyden, you know contributors on this team returners with also a couple of really high end freshman recruits. As well he, WAS like i don't want to step on Toes And coach floyd essentially, told him, you know riverdance on him if they want to get out of, the way get out of.
Speaker 3: The way and.
Speaker 2: He, Did man and like so many people probably forgot that he led the team, in scoring and he did so by being differential to. Everybody else that when we saw him in summer League in milwaukee, was, like dude cook he. Did that and the strength that we knew coming into the Draft That brandon burry's had watch just fresh off of watching playoff basketball to where you have to Have what I'm because i'm not a, CREATIVE person i call it, Shoulder game like can you create separation by just use of your shoulders while you're driving to. The basket that's such an invaluable skill or physical trait. To have dan as, you know like watching the finals that if you can, do that you have a leg up on pretty much. EVERYBODY else i should have ranked him as high as my heart, wanted to but my heart's deceived. Me before so it's like this concept. PUSH pool i wanted to have him as my, top Guard but, I'M like i don't know if you can create to the Level of Darius or Mike kel but he did everything else that just as good or a higher level in the everything else aspect of basketball compared to those two to where, It's, LIKE god I wish i would have just went with my.
Speaker 1: Heart here so you're on the clock at number five where they're redoing the draft, right now we're are even we're a month removed. From it are You Taking braiden burry's at? Number? Five?
Speaker 2: Yes absolutely Like the clippers that if They keep kawi, Like Whatever like i'm could you imagine like if They, keep kawhi they Bring In braiden berry's and anyone else they have on, This roster Like.
Speaker 1: He kawi is like a that's a legit, like, one. Two, three yeah.
Speaker 2: He's an, Amplifier dude like he does everything else like he he just makes people around him better because he is, so good, you know like we saw That. At arizona He Made brandon burry or, excuse, me uh He Made jaden bradley a better facilitator because he was on. That team he took pressure off Of. Co opete He made Ivan, karl chenkov who could not shoot to save his life, this year playable from the perimeter because of how much gravity he had as a three.
Speaker 3: Point shooter, you.
Speaker 2: Know like he, play made he play make for, others too even though he was just the. Leading scorer there was just so many good things about him this year that in a redraft outside the, top four the top Guy that i'm going, right NOW and i know he hasn't seen A real nba minute, or whatever but, God BLESS like i was Skeptical, of milwaukee and He's almost milwaukee proof even though they just moved off of. Y honest, you know like there's so much reasons to. Be, optimistic yeah like Him And ryan, rawlins, together dude that's gonna be so.
Speaker 3: Much fun like they're gonna be a.
Speaker 2: G League pass they're gonna be a League past darling with the backcourt that.
Speaker 1: They, have, yeah especially there's like might even be the car crash theory of Like having nata meant there and what is he gonna do on a game to? Game basis, So UH Jaxell, MVP lindebergh i am trying not to get too excited about him because He hadn't he really did have an excellent summer league where he just. DID everything i had questions about what he would able to be able to do defensively at, this LEVEL and i still going back and watching some of the summer, league stuff especially Against, the lakers it kind of felt like some of the blocks that, he had it just felt like teams were giving them, to him just like the releases were slow where they were so low was just but he WAS so i thought he was really. Good defensively do you buy or sell the idea that he can consistently defend twos threes even do some point of. Attack work and the Only reason i'm actually asking this IS because i think that it's his clearest path to immediate playing Time In. Golden state you look at the injuries they're dealing With To jimmy Butler And. Moses moody i'm assuming they Get deanthy. Melton back now that The whole lebron stuff is settled and he's their instant best point of like. Perimeter defender but, after THAT it's, I know draymond Is, still draymond but he's not like a. Lockdown perimeter do they need like a combo? Forward Defender And jaxa lundenberg right now is the, YOU know i don't mean to Disparage Like gui santos, or anybody but he feels like just their. Only, option yeah.
Speaker 2: They do we Know that draymond's even coming Back To golden, state too by, The.
Speaker 1: Way like you think he'll be the one to Go, to cleveland.
Speaker 2: He might be the one To follow Lebron. To philly, who knows, you know to give You some? Joel insurance could You imagine minnesota needs?
Speaker 1: A four do you think Him And rudy gobert would be willing to? Play together or IS that i.
Speaker 2: Don't KNOW that's i would pay to WATCH reality tv show Him and LaMelo and ant together like just.
Speaker 3: Hanging out could you imagine? Those, THREE no.
Speaker 1: I couldn't and especially you throw Like The rudy gobert wild guard, INTO there. I wouldn't i wouldn't be able to.
Speaker 2: Picture it it would Be, like seinfeld but reverse right to where like those three would Be, Like elane George. And jerry and then here it comes in like a straight, laced creamer, just, like hey that's what's, going on, You know and they're like hanging from the ceiling fan, or whatever you KNOW what, I mean like they're just doing.
Speaker 3: Crazy stuff who do.
Speaker 1: You think so let's Throw The rudy Gobert like draymond's history equation out. Of it who do you think would have been able to handle the dina or would fit better into the locker Room dynamic Lebron or draymond and Just hype. MINNESOTA hypothetically i feel Like, it's lebron even though.
Speaker 2: He's, older yeah it's Gotta. BE lebron I mean i think that he could fit in pretty much any locker, room too by, the WAY but i just feel like they would be hanging on his, coat tail just like please tell us like all the stuff that, you know Except maybe aunt might challenge him a, little bit and it sounds like.
Speaker 1: He did there was a pit like come here and don't. COME here i don't care Very very Kobe recruiting dwight were THE vibes i got off they said it, was PLAYFUL so i don't think it was longla but, very, like, yeah, whatever man you, come here don't. COME here i.
Speaker 2: Don't, care yeah apparently there was A report i saw and it Was, on twitter so lord knows if it was real, or not but there was like apparently a part of the Conversation was Lebron, telling, aunt, like hey LET'S say i don't.
Speaker 3: Go there what do you think happens with.
Speaker 2: The team, he's, Like then i'll just bust your head whenever we play Against each other's, like whatever like you come here, Or not i'm going to be.
Speaker 3: Great REGARDLESS so i.
Speaker 2: Don't KNOW but, i mean he was about to go Play With, jaylen brown who just insulted his son's ability to play INTO. The nba so, who knows, YOU know I think lebron could make.
Speaker 1: It, Happen Yeah joelle embiid is like a ten year old tweet or something. HE said i can't remember what he said About. About Lebron SO i'm i have A feeling i'll get. Over it.
Speaker 3: I'm, With you i'm. With you, BUT ye i.
Speaker 1: Don't KNOW how i took us To The minnesota Timberwolves and lebron, Off this.
Speaker 2: I'll blame ME because i would LIKE to i give an answer with something that has nothing to do with the question. That's asking try to REMEMBER what i was SAYING when i tie it. ALL together i like to. Challenge MYSELF but, i, think yaxl this is TOUGH because i don't know if he's going to consistently be able to do it like night in, night out like be the guy who's guarding, two guards point guards and stuff. LIKE that i think that you give him looks, For sure but if, you're, saying, like consistently night in, night out he's gonna guard the best player on the, OTHER team i would.
Speaker 3: You know i'll buy it just based out.
Speaker 2: OF necessity i don't think that is probably the best thing in, the WORLD and i think it speaks to the state Of The Golden. STATE warriors i think that, he will but, also like this is a guy that you can't.
Speaker 3: Roll out to do.
Speaker 2: Anything like his developmental path is one of the more unique in this entire. DRAFT class, i mean this guy almost didn't play high school basketball because he didn't take it. Seriously enough his mom pretty much cried him into playing basketball and then Goes to juco dominates goes to You, ab dominates then goes To. The combine, he's, LIKE hey i want to BE an. Nba player, they're, like okay go do X. Y z not only not only does, he go does he go and do x, y z but he Transfers to michigan Plays For dusty may in a front court that wasn't supposed, to work, you, know, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah they were like giving up FROM what, i know they were just gigantoids and no spacing.
Speaker 2: Right exactly LIKE, at uab because, you know with these mid low major schools, like them if you have any size, at all you're going to play minutes at. The five and you saw you actual play the five a LOT.
Speaker 3: At uab.
Speaker 2: Then we saw More as johnson like not really get a whole heck of a lot of playing Time, at illinois and he is like at arms reach on offense coming Out. Of illinois so he's playing at. The five and then they bring in this like failed PROJECT from Ucla and ademara and they all, you know ostensibly play. The five, so like How Does dusty may make? This, happen well you actually had to play the three for like the first time, ever consistently and he he was the best player in college basketball and win a national championship doing, It RIGHT so i, don't KNOW like i don't feel great about him, Doing it but kind of LIKE what i said with Kayleb Will or, wilson earlier, It's like i'm also not going to be the one To Tell yaxel linnenburg that he can't, do something because he's going to and then he's going to clown you about.
Speaker 3: It afterwards.
Speaker 1: You KNOW so, i guess based just on what, you're saying you would pfer see more looks of kp at the Five and yaxles at, the four or even in some lineups Where maybe draymond's the Five and yaxle's.
Speaker 4: The.
Speaker 2: Four, correct yeah that's the ideal scenario For Me, WITH yaxel i think that he could be a dynamite four man IN.
Speaker 3: The Nba.
Speaker 1: Janni steinbach SOMEONE who i was probably ambivalent to coming into, the process maybe just a little bit lower on him than let other people buy or sell his ability to play semi regular center minutes IN.
Speaker 2: The nba this is TRICKY because i was not A huge steinbach guy coming into, the year and he didn't really do anything for me throughout the rest of the year to kind of like curb my concerns or CAUTIONS that i had within. HIS game i get that he's arguably the best rebounder in, the game but rebounding is a very. Translatable skill by, The, Way dan i'm sure that, you, know right like to the best players IN the nba at, their position like regardless, of position like relative to, their position they're, great rebounders, You know so rebounding is usually a, good indicator but you kind of have to bring something else to. The game and That's where i'm kind of Concerned with steinbach because if he is, a five big men are asked.
Speaker 3: To do more today than.
Speaker 2: Ever, before dan like we TALKED about i think we talked about this unlocked on with. Big men you have the traditional big men things that they're asked, to do, Right rebounding steinbach, can do, RINT protection i don't Know if steinbock do finishing around the rim over other giant. BIG men i don't know if he's going to be able to. Do that but then passing is such a big part about big men and like how long they're able to be on, you know a starting rotation on, the FLOOR and i don't EVERYTHING that i saw this year and NOTHING that i Saw At summer league kind of. Like ease my concerns with That is steinbach is not a very, connective passer, you know so now you're kind of looking, at him in, my opinion as like an undersized FIVE who i don't know how he finishes over the best of the best IN, the NBA and i don't know how he protects the rim at the five IN. The nba so But admittedly i'm one of the lower people. On him, you know he does move well on, The FLOOR so i think the hope is that you're looking at some sort Of Like alprin shane goon domas the. Bonus disciple but those guys pass the ball and. He doesn't so now you're looking at Is a yaka partle but not as, Good defensively like it's a weird it's A weird vinn diagram, for me like scouting wise as to like how Good can? Steinbach BE like i get that he, could rebound it as a very important skill to have IN, the nba but what else is he going to do on a team that just lost their, offensive engine like and really sole source of? Rim, pressure like how is he going to work on? This?
Speaker 3: Team now.
Speaker 1: Buy? Or sell throwing out concern dispensing with the Concern For bennett's starts And a diemarra which, some people a lot of people are talking about coming Out Of.
Speaker 2: Summer league i'm buying IT because i did like the two men CHEMISTRY that i did See between Starts. AND mara i get the concerns for both. Of them maara didn't really quell any concerns about, the physicality the leverage issue with him as being, a rebounder people people being able to essentially dig him out of whatever position that he's trying. TO establish i just Think And, bennett sertch by, the way is like one of the best basketball minds within this, class too and ridiculous three point shooting range that we did See In summer league.
Speaker 3: AS well i.
Speaker 2: Just think that when we think about how these guys In The summer league are going to translate to the to the big club IN, THE nba i think their jobs are going to.
Speaker 3: Be so.
Speaker 2: Like very apparent as to like you are going to DO a B and c when you're on. The court even if if at all we get to eight OR to b and c on, That List like Bennett s ertch you might just be a. Floor Spacer, at amar you might just be a. Rim protector but they each have like these other great qualities to. Their game dan to where, You Know bennett SERTs can play make with the best. Of them he's going to be able to operate a pick, and roll and he's got good size as a, point guard and he can.
Speaker 3: Be disruptor he can be a pass on the.
Speaker 2: Defensive end and we All know adaymar like at seven, foot three like he was arguably the best Quarterback in michigan, last year and he. Played basketball you know with the full court passing that he HAS the dho capability within. His game he flashed a lot of that At summer. League too EVERYTHING that i Said About, hannes steinbach can he do all the big man things AT the? Nba level significantly fewer concerns in my opinion With the DeMar being able to score at, the rim protect, the, rim rebound and pass.
Speaker 1: The, basketball yeah he threw some really nifty passes At. SUMMER league i was kind of hoping he'd be a little. Bit more, AND again i don't know how much of this you talk about, your environment. Big board okayse summer league environment wasn't necessarily conducive to him being or being in the best situations to be more aggressive as, a scorer and they almost needed. His PASSING but i found him, overly deferential and that was THE thing i clocked the most. With him And so i'm curious what JUST because i don't even know what type of lineups he'll be playing with, AN okase i guess they have the benefit of not needing him when You have hartenstein And, Chet Holmgren jay will and also You Know thomas sorber's. Healthy Now so I'm just i'm very curious to see when he, does play what, he does what he does look, like offensively the passing. IS great I just i was hoping for more as a or just. GENERAL physicality i was hoping for more of that or just more as a SCORE.
Speaker 2: And I and i totally understand. Those concerns but to, your point whenever he gets To The oklahoma, city proper, you know whenever he gets to the to the thunder, ACTUAL club i think a lot of his life is going to be just made so much more simple to where he can rely on his, you know just him being seven foot three with almost ten foot, Standing reach like you can't teach. THAT stuff i think that you can play Him and. CHET together i think you could play Him in. Hartenstein together jay will obviously Super Versatile jalen Williams The Arkansas, jaalen Williams. Not JDUBB but i think that he's super versatile as well to where you can get real Creative And oklahoma city can run a two big lineup essentially whenever they. Want NOW and i think too in terms of like the environment adjusted aspect people were, concerned about like the minute load that he would be able to Handle At, oklahoma city don't even really got to worry. ABOUT it i think that it's pretty much just copy paste what we Saw. From michigan that's the hope for here is that funnel things. To him he's going to be able to get his hand, on shots he's going to be able to finish at, the basket and he's going to be able to attract attention and reliably kick the ball out to whoever it is that's open.
Speaker 3: From Deep.
Speaker 1: Malie thomas knew nothing about him Coming Into summer league and, WATCHING him i feel like you could put him in some Type of american gladiator, obstacle course and whatever route he needs to take to get to, the whop he'll just figure it out. To SCORE and i also came, away thinking when you look at scoring Champions In, summer league it's we're conditioned to take those guys with a grain, of salt specifically buy or sell his scoring ability being more translatable TO the nba than The average summer league score.
Speaker 2: Success Story so i'm gonna preface this again WITH that i Am, from, arkansas RIGHT so i understand that people are gonna take whatever it IS that i say next and they're gonna skew It because i'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Have this, You know i'm gonna support. My people for lack of a, better, Expression here i'm.
Speaker 2: BUYING it i said it coming coming into the draft that people might Not, remember Dan But malik Thomas AND. Darius A cuff junior were both recruited out of high school at the exact. Same position both were recruited out of high school as. Point, Guard OBVIOUSLY. Darius a cup being the higher, ranked guy he was the one that you prioritize the structure of the, offensive round which meant, That maliite thomas had to learn how to do ant sillary things and it wasn't an easy immediate translation. For him he actually got benched by Coach kyl pari early on in the process because defensively he. Was unplayable he. Didn't rebound the decision making, was solid but it wasn't as great as it would it end up being throughout the rest of, the year but he was still put in positions to where he could build his confidence, that way when he was inserted back into the, starting lineup we got To See malik thomas be a really solid defender AT the, sec level which some might argue is the most athletic conference in, college basketball so we got to see elite take on those athletic assignments on the. Defensive end his rebounding, got better and then if you look at Just as sister turnover ratio in college he was as high as some of the best people within. This class and that's with him sacrificing the mode potent aspect of. His game and then you start, thinking, about like is there the Coach cal pari effect here where like the second or third guard they typically have to sacrifice a lot whenever they play for coach cal for the greater good of. The program so is there this like unearthed on ball Potential With maliite thomas that we didn't get to see because he played with the people who he. PLAYED with i thought that coming out of his lone Season in ARKANSAS and i had HIM ranked i think like twenty second or. Twenty third and that's.
Speaker 3: Me being high.
Speaker 2: On him, you know in a class that, you know typically you're not gonna see more than you know twenty two to twenty five players survive a. Draft Class so, I'M like i still believe in, this GUY but i still have. My doubts but to see him come Out for cleveland and drop thirty balls like, it's nothing and not even just, the numbers but it's the manner in which he's. Doing, it dan the fact that he's driving and dunking on people, is like.
Speaker 3: Where in the heck we're in the heck is?
Speaker 2: This MAN but i genuinely think that him learning how to do that everything else at a high level and a very competitive conference in college basketball helped his development to the point to where he knows what the number one. Guy needs but he still has that diet you know that dynamism to his game to where you have to pay attention to him as, a scorer and it just made him such a complete basketball player in his loan season in college to, Where yeah i'm buying there's probably some really good scoring potential here, with him and It's not he's not a one. Trick pony like we Just Saw isaiah evans come Out of duke and Play. For minnesota he did not a lot of People Liked isaiah evans more So Than eliite thomas because the size and whatever the case. Might be but we saw him Struggle. At minnesota he did not look anywhere near as Good As. Malik thomas and you, Might, say okay he did so good a, summer league now we can't trust him if you want to play. THAT game i totally. Understand IT but i believe that this could have been a possible outcome with him before we.
Speaker 3: Saw it, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah i'm Buying The malik thomas stock that there is more to him than what we got to See.
Speaker 3: At. ARKANSAS yeah i.
Speaker 1: MEAN also i mean six assists per one hundred to two turnovers basically per one hundred possessions for summer league. Is insane like it's. JUST bonkers i do want.
Speaker 2: In keeping with his college, Numbers too like if you look at, his college if you go To bart torvik and look up, college stats his assister turnover Ratio at arkansas was at.
Speaker 1: That level is he someone who can like generate more free throw attempts or is that not going to be part of? His game do you think.
Speaker 2: That's Where i'll i'll put on the brakes a little bit to the to the Train that i'm. DRIVING here i don't know if he's going to be a natural. DOWNHILL driver i think he's gonna need to. Get stronger but, that frame super, squared off, upper body, long arms looks he's going to be able, to support, you know some some developmental strength as he.
Speaker 3: Gets better i'm.
Speaker 2: Not really it's NOT what i would be hanging my, hat on Like if i'm, Developing, HIM like i don't think that it's gonna be a big part of. His GAME but i think it's gonna be something that he's going to have to LEARN because i don't think he's been put in position to where that's like a natural aspect of. HIS game i think that's going to be something that, You know cleveland is going to have to work with him on to get there because we just haven't.
Speaker 3: SEEN it i.
Speaker 1: Don't know if he even needs to be like a downhill threat to get because some of the circular paths he took to, the BASKET as i would, describe HIM and i think IT was i want to say it Was the. Miami game we're. Just stunning. To me we're just like it was just kind of bailouts for cutest pass to. The basket and so if he's going to be able to do that in addition to shoot the ball the way that he did and then not even, just passed but like just protecting possessions the way to make.
Speaker 3: Great, decisions yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like are we gonna sit here and say we did This With jalen tyson. Last year It's like cavs like might have kind of just mind this gem and it seems like they might have done. IT again i Really liked.
Speaker 3: Tyson too you're Talking at maharshing's here with.
Speaker 1: The names they need. Him now he's that as we're. Recording this he's their best on ball wing defender at, the moment so they. Need, him UH before i ask you for some like quick hitting stuff on sophomores In. Summer league were there any other rookies or any other just general takeaways and some of the first year players that you saw that you wanted.
Speaker 2: To discuss I'll give coapte a shout out because he was the guy throughout the YEAR that i, was like his production did not match the accolades that he had coming into. The year dan like he was the only guy who Could Rival cam boozer in terms of high, school, accomplishments. Recognitions, accolades like however you want to, phrase that he was the only one who can rival That Of. Cam boozer his first Game against florida was a, fantastic game but it was a roller coaster. ALL season a lot and a lot has been made of his three point, shooting pre during and, post combine and it was just like one of those things where he's got, the frame he's got. The athleticism he clearly is a, smart player because even though he was a, disappointing year he was like A High may hawkes to this team to where he could like make good decisions with the ball and pass. People OPEN and i, was like my comparison for him was How may Hawks like i'm PRETTY sure i would draft him in the Same range hawkes. Was Taken but i'm also worried that he could have been This Year's. Peyton watson BUT then i watched Him At, summer league and The Whole payton watson thing was highly, regarded recruit underperformed, in college still found a way to be productive and valuable IN. The nba we're seeing that now with, you Know the hull contract projections with him for his free. Agency NOW but i started THINKING when i was Watching Co o pete playing For the phoenix that maybe that bar was. Too low maybe me saying that he could be this Class As peyton watson was too low because we saw him shoot the ball, With confidence we saw him attack, the paint we saw him head topping people and dunking on people In In. Summer league we saw him kind Of Taunt, nata mint who was drafted, significantly higher whenever he finished, over him hitting him with the two small selly. On HIM so i just was so impressed with the confidence and the productivity With co OPETE that I that i'm worried that we as a draft community. Undervalued him and there is always like there's it feels like almost every class has this guy who, was like did not play up to, the expectations but we should have seen it coming And, CO opede i feel like it's.
Speaker 3: That guy.
Speaker 1: I'm curious to see if he'll get Minutes in phoenix just because the forward Now With miles, bridges there they have OsO in the front court to go with common mile A Watch. Mark williams i'm curious if he'll be able to Get.
Speaker 3: Sure fleming was pretty good Too In. SUMMER league i.
Speaker 1: Thought he was gonna play or sounded. Like sheer fleming was in line to get like thirty minutes a game next season Before The miles, bridges trade which is maybe why part of the reason you Make The miles. Bridges TRADE do i need to? Really QUICKLY do i need to sell my dawn swayin stock or is he simply not a? Point guard IS that i?
Speaker 2: WOULD say i would say. Sell IT and I Like dalan swain a.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: Bit, yeah sometimes like people will, you know in what, we do people ask you questions on like what do You, Value dan like whenever you're looking at, you, know contracts team, construct whatever like what do you?
Speaker 3: Value MOST when i Was At.
Speaker 2: SUMMER league i got asked that question a, few, times, Like, hey steven you know obviously like certain things or sticky to the question that you, asked earlier like certain things are more sticky. Than others what is it that you look for from a prospect Here At? Summer league, to me it's come, For ABILITY like i don't necessarily care so much of the efficiency or you know how many touches you're getting, per se but how comfortable do you look with the role and the opportunities that are giving. To You dalen swain did not look comfortable out there on, the court, you KNOW. Like i he didn't look. Comfortable shooting he didn't look comfortable being. A playmaker there was So Much noah essenay out there To where, i'm Like if noah S and gay is kind of pushing you in terms of like role production stuff, like that it's not a. Great SIGN and i just Think that chicago probably was one of the more kind of like downside environments for him to LAND because i don't think that he he doesn't solve any of the problems that the, roster HAS and i don't think that the strengths.
Speaker 3: That he that he provides are more than what's.
Speaker 2: Already there if that, Makes SENSE so i think it's a tough spot For him land.
Speaker 1: It makes sense and absolutely disembattles my soul at the, same TIME so i hate. It.
Speaker 3: Too brother let's talk.
Speaker 1: Some sophomores let's see how many of these guys can get through before we NEED discadadle i. NEED to i think the two that need to be talked about Start With yegor joeman Buy or sell his sudden improvement as an inside the arc attacker And finisher ali hoop.
Speaker 2: Finisher Too yeah i'm, Buying, Man yeah i'm. Buying it, you know when we went to our team Dinner In caesar's Palace, in vegas we actually Walked pat we were like walking in Step with yegor And With mike hel and a few other players for the For, the NETS and i just looked at HIM and i, Was, like gosh this dude, is huge and he's getting, like stronger like you can, see it and like the mass and, the definition and he already blew the doors off of my expectations as a shooter in his rookie season For the nets TO where i felt like that made the rest of his game that much more projectable and the developmental path for him a little with less resistance in him getting to where he needs to. Get TO and i think that what we saw him Do In summer league is only just like a slight indication of like what the rest of the league kind of has to look forward to because he's he's making that sophomore improvement in terms of like rounding out the entire offense.
Speaker 1: For him he was one of the very FEW things i was right about with in the past year was pumping the brakes on people saying That the nets completely fucked up their draft. LAST year, i thought.
Speaker 2: You gotta hammer the you gotta hammer.
Speaker 3: The, victories dude you.
Speaker 1: Were right the shooting, was like that WAS what i was told to be concerned about, Coming IN and i think one it makes for an easier fit Now Alongside Mikel. Brown jr and they Are Throwing julius randall into. The Mix The julius randall trade bums me out a little bit more NOW because i don't want it to monopolize Touches From jeglor Joeman Or Mikel. Brown JUNIOR but i think both of those Guys are everyone probably hates this word now but they're scalable enough to make, it work like the Jeg or Joe And Michael. Brown junior even Just Having Michael porter, junior there whether he's a long term piece, or not this team has the potential some really interesting things. On offense, and yeah talk about a Sicko With jordi fernandez is your head? Coach, Too uh they're gonna be a sneaky good league PASS watch i think. This season uh with you buy, Or sell i've got acually two, for him but buy or cell common, model watches three point touch or just viability is the pick and pop threat that he Was In.
Speaker 2: Summer league i'm buying IT if i can. Sell anything it's. His nickname people are calling Him, man MAN and I hate oh They're not please tell Me, that no that's That's, that's oh it's. A thing it's it's, a THING and i. Hate IT but I we i feel LIKE if i, CARED enough i could help. Workshop something but to, the question the the one that, YOU asked i am buying the three. Point shooting i'm in an Almost Like brydon burry's Territory with mam malowatch to where like you, can say can Come on malla watch dot dot dot do you buy?
Speaker 3: Or sell i'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Buy IT and i was not a big mam mallow watch guy coming into his draft because, YOU know i talked ABOUT how i value comfortability for. Big men if there's ANYTHING that i want to see in a, big, MAN like i want them to kind of have. A problem i want them to be a little bit mean. AND nasty i want them to be. A bully And man man. WAS not, I know i tried it ON and i. Hate it i'm returning it back to the nickname store. Right Now, at douke he was so DEFERENTIAL that i, WAS like i don't KNOW if i can buy. Into THIS like i get, THE potential i get that he's late to, THE game i get, THE size i get the all. These things but he was so DIFFERENTIAL that i, WAS like i. Don't like mentality to me is like one of those things that's like it's kind of who, you are, You know so Like if i'm the guy that Misses on Kama, Male watch i'm gonna be the guy that misses. On him and we didn't see him play that much as, a rookie but watching Him In, summer league, It's, like oh this dude has been working on literally every aspect of basketball to include that three. Point shot i'm, Buying IT Like i i'll wait until to the second by sell, with him But like i'm in dangerous territory Here With.
Speaker 3: Kama.
Speaker 1: Mola watch so the second one is do you he did still make me nervous in some of his catches on, The move so do you buy or sell that his, his hands that part of, his game the coordination is gonna.
Speaker 2: Be okay i'm buying that it's gonna be okay just because of the literally the development of everything Else from you're one.
Speaker 3: To, Two like i'm.
Speaker 2: BUYING it i think that the hands are gonna are gonna. BE there i just think the mentality shift for him to where, for me the question was as a rookie with him is like is he going to be like a starting level center IN? The nba can he be like a top twenty center IN? The nba, Like now, I'M like i might need some billsim and settled down, Juice Here but i'm starting to get to. The question i'm starting to. Get to the points is like can this dude be like one of the best big men IN, the nba like upper echelon big men IN, the nba Like not Nikolaiokich or Joe, l embi, but like can he be like In that bam outa bio level of Big MEN like i don't think that's outside Of the romo.
Speaker 3: Possibility anymore with his year one to year or. Two, improvements wow that's.
Speaker 1: THAT'S exciting i don't KNOW if i could get, The offense i'm still kind of have question marks for but the defense is just and he looks stronger even. On offense the screens just feel like he's. Connecting more he knows when to slip him or when to. Not to now that's the final BUYER cell i have. For him, IN spoiler i, WOULD buy i said buy or Sell common mala watch starting For the Suns by christmas and that's a team that's trying. To Win and i'll Stick with Christmas and i'll just. Take by at, THIS point i might Not, be oh he's The next bam like, you're SAYING and i know you're not necessarily. Predicting, that yeah just start, him now what are? WE doing i know you Just Resign mark williams and you Have no just start, Him, now.
Speaker 3: Yeah this is clearly.
Speaker 2: The future Like the suns sneakily have like one of the more interesting collection of young talent on, this team and it shouldn't be that way with how you know by this now you know kind of like f them, picks mentality they should not have an exciting collection of, young talent but, they do, you know like and it's all in the, front court by, the way so they got to round. It out it's got to be a little bit more. Evenly DISTRIBUTED but i Still Like. Raser flemings, YOU know i said on our show that a smart team should try to make this be like the Second To, Monty kamara like they have so much stuff at that, four Spot and rashier has looked good with every Opportunity that phoenix has given him to, where Like if i'm a, smart teamer.
Speaker 1: Trade doesn't like displace him from.
Speaker 2: The, rotation yeah the smart team should pluck him away from. That situation like two second, round picks three second. Round picks, you know it's gotten a lot better Talent Than rashier fleming TO where i think if you came To the suns with two second round picks and like a stash candidate like maybe you can sway.
Speaker 3: Them, Away.
Speaker 1: Uh i'm trying to SEE what i. Get THROUGH so i want to Talk About yugo gonzales really quickly buy or sell the idea of him getting, i'll say noticeably more on ball Responsibilities in boston because it'd probably be. Tough too when you're looking at the on ball action share of possession that he had, last year it'd be tough for him to like, go down there's really nowhere. To go but but, but yeah put the ball in his hands a Lot In. Summer league he wasn't hyper efficient as, a scorer but for a team that some of the passes, he threw he's running pick and rolls some of the pass, HE threw, i thought we're just really spot on and they need another perimeter player who is comfortable After Trading, jalen brown because That's Not paul pulters might be a better fit for assoula Ball Than, jalen brown but he's not going to give you the on ball rim pressure from the wing. Spot anymore and, You lo. Gonzales might and so if he, can pass or if he can just take a ball screen and kind of run the offense, That way i'm not really, predict IT but i might be prepared to buy this one in a WAY that i would not have been like four to six.
Speaker 3: Weeks ago i'll.
Speaker 2: Give it a slide up arrow JUST because i think to the point that you Just made dan like there's like a vacuum that it's got to be filled in. The aggregate And if boston is looking to put him in the position that they Did In, summer league then that tells me that that front office is thinking that there could be something. To that But Even paul george and like the role that he's, IN now i think that he's going to be asked to make. Good Decisions peyton pritchard is everyone is trying to make can be The New, jalen brunson, AND uh i don't know if that's going to be, a THING but i think that he's gonna ask to do a lot. Of CREATION and i don't want to forget too That Like baylor shireman in every level of college that he played showed that he is like a very good like ball handler and. Passer too LIKE if i had to buy anyone from like the lower portions of that rotation to take a step up and playmaking, and distribution it Would Be. Baylor SHIREMAN but i think you like in terms of like where they were last year to, this Year can google could take? ON more i, think so just because it's got to be one and, the aggregate But not i'm not buying As much HUGO as I Am.
Speaker 1: Baylor shireman the other THING with, i mean even both those guys, is that Like, with ugo the Role In summer league is not even to be kind of indicative of what he's doing on The. Actual CELTICS so i might be getting a little bit too carried away.
Speaker 3: With that's the.
Speaker 2: Summer league as for though you're supposed to if you like, the guy you're supposed to hammer the summer league showing that's.
Speaker 1: The, RULES well i can't tell if this is reckless anymore. Or Not Because blackcool bali was one of my. Favorite prospects buy Or Sell will riley being a better prospect Than Block cool bali, Right now i'm.
Speaker 3: Buying it, you know is it.
Speaker 1: Even the question at? This point is?
Speaker 5: IT debatable i think some people, would, say well technically on, this team you know what Ball Cole a bali brings as a perimeter defender, And like i'm sure you could probably get real, you know you could get a lot of, you, know scrutiny depending on what you value more in.
Speaker 2: A Prospect But will riley was just, very much very apparent that he's ready to take on a larger, scoring responsibility which again is interesting with the whole tree young and. Ad acquisitions and you Still Got keishaan george on this team too.
Speaker 1: Before he got injured last. Year, too.
Speaker 2: Yeah fantastic and then you Add aj debasa who inherently is going to take on a lot of usage and a lot of playmaking and stuff, like THAT which i think east away at the stuff That Ballall cola bally is. Good at by, the way he's not a, floor Spacer And will riley just flat out phenomenal like as a floor spacer now with, good size a good, decision maker stronger than what his frame would. Otherwise indicate, Forgive me i'm forgetting the player's NAME because i call him by his awesome nickname. So much but Who is Kelly You. BRAY jr i remember his NAME before i. EMBARRASS myself i.
Speaker 1: Think, That's great that's that's a.
Speaker 6: Great Nickname will riley has got a Lot of tsunami poppy in his in, his GAME and i think we saw a lot of That At summer, league too to where like he is so he's better at.
Speaker 3: The fundamentals than like the like.
Speaker 2: The flashy nature to his game like gives him, credit for but he's so much fun to watch whenever he's on. A heater that's kind of like the ROLE that i See Will will riley bringing To The washington wizards is like this, heat check offensive engine guy who can do a lot more of The anti larry things than he's gonna get. Credit for but he's gonna be kind of like the fan Favorite Like. Bobblehead night, you know he's gonna be the guy that the fans are getting behind and making cool chants for and stuff. LIKE that i think it's easily in my Opinion That will riley is gonna usurp ballall Cool of bally.
Speaker 1: That wing Rotation, in, washington man is.
Speaker 2: It's, Legitesty YEAH can i ask question about oh about? That team what do you Think about alex sar on this team? Moving forward like he's the one guy to WHERE like i don't know like what to expect from him at all with the way that this roster is kind of fleshed out.
Speaker 1: As NICE i'm I think i was higher on him before they Brought In. Anthony davis and obviously those two have not played, together yet but it shows that, to me, AT least i telegraphs and then they go ahead and trade for eight and that they want him to play more of a. Four ROLE and i actually think when you're looking at the physicality and kind of, THE finishing i. Get it but just the things that he can do, ON offense i think the shooting is gonna be fine when he's putting the ball on. The floor even some of the things that he can do from, THE standstill i think that's more of. A mismatch i don't even think we know that's more of a mismatch at, the FIVE and i think that. He is they haven't had great with the Exception of Balakol, about, lee like they haven't had great defensive talent. AROUND him i think that that's someone who could, be inoperable like. Five Anchors so i'm still pretty High On. ALEX sar i don't like the IDEA of i don't want it to be their default or their, Go to like if we get to a point, where, Like Oh alex aar. IS closing i know we're seeing more dual, big LINEUPS but. I don't i just feel like that puts him in a position to where the three point shot needs to be a marquee element of, his GAME and i don't necessarily when you look at his skill set and the things that he, COULD do i thought getting Someone Like trey young in there was just enough because that WAS he i thought he just needed someone to set him. UP more. I didn't he needed that to me way more than. He, NEEDED oh i need another big or two to.
Speaker 2: Insulate, Me yeah and that's kind of Like where i'm at. As well it's almost kind of it's like it's their Version Of Jaron jackson junior on a team that already had enough front court play on it, to like how is this gonna fit on? This team does he now play? The four is he is he still? A, Five like i'm just curious what his function and role on that team is. GONNA be i think that they're gonna need HIM to i think they're gonna need that three point shooting to be to word that you, just said like a marquee element with the floor spacing that this team is, gonna have at least in The immediate it's gonna be interesting to see if they look to play Him and, davis together because defensively that could be. Really fun, but, offensively like you're talking about two guys who aren't shot shooting, from deep but they're not the most efficient from out.
Speaker 3: There either.
Speaker 1: Can you buy? Or sell i'm gonna frame it, this way buy. Or SELL if i set the over Under At trey johnson as a one and a half, level scorer you're going to buy or sell the over the under. On that how's that for a confusing?
Speaker 2: Frame, IT no i get exactly what, you're saying and it's almost to the playmaking portion of what we talked about Earlier With. DARREN peterson i think that's the like you should be a bookie with the lines that.
Speaker 3: You're selling.
Speaker 2: I'm probably gonna, sell IT and i don't feel great about IT because i Really Love trey johnson coming Out of texas within his, DRAFT too i think that he is going to provide a scoring punch that is. Desperately needed we talked just a second ago about the three point shooting woes that this team. Might Have trey johnson has got to be the guy that opens the floor up for so.
Speaker 3: MANY people.
Speaker 2: I think that he can be, a good kind of like complimentary scorer to.
Speaker 3: The team you.
Speaker 2: Obviously don't the, problem IS and i think that a lot of people people would answer this in a similar way to where how good is the team going to Be If? Trey Johnson trey johnson is your number one scorer on, your team because in, my opinion it's not going to be as dynamic as it's going to be compared to the like the good teams IN.
Speaker 3: The, Nba right so if.
Speaker 2: He's your, best score, to me that says a lot about where your team is and it's developmental stages and probably in the win loss column.
Speaker 3: As well But.
Speaker 2: If trey johnson is like, your second, you know score offensively but still kind of like your third or fourth, best player then you have a really.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: Team Right so i'm selling that he is the best scorer on this TEAM because i think this team is starting to is going to want to start taking steps into improving their win loss column. This year.
Speaker 1: Liam McNeely fooled me once. Last year he might be fooling me Twice because i'm prepared to, buy this but buy Or sell liam McNeely being, more important playing a more prominent role In the hornets. This season And Then grayson Allen And. Christian anderson oh that's a two For their.
Speaker 2: That's interesting i'm not A Big christian, anderson GUY but i know a lot of people. Who Are And GRAYSON allen i think is. Phasing out let me. BUY this i think that this this should be. A, buy like if You're a, hornets fan you want to. Buy this this is enticing stock for you, right now especially with, You know ball being out of. The system now You Have konkin nipple who's probably gonna take a larger. CREATION role i, would imagine, you know because you know rookie of the year favorite for most of the season. LAST year i Like What brandon. Miller does he's not a big pressure point. Offensively either so if You want kawn to be this on ball guy who is going to be taking some of the offensive. CREATION duties i Know that white is on. This team he's also not like the most ideal table. Setter either he's more scored tilted then he. IS passing i Think if con is going to be the guy who this team is going to be looking to, to be, you know to kind of bear the burden of. Creation role you need a Guy like liam McNeely to step up and be the Teammate To cooper flag that, he was And To derek queen and all these other great talent and be that knockdown three, point shooter this dynamic scorer who is going to work well off of. ANOTHER creator i think you have to buy this if You're a. HORNETS fan i still want. TO believe i still want to invest into the good will that this team showed. Last, Season Dan so i'm gonna Buy the liam McNeely being significantly Better Than grayson Allen And. CHRISTIAN anderson i.
Speaker 1: Wanna buy it to it really dig in my heels after some of the RECKLESS things i said about him after Last Year's. Summer league are there any other sophomores that you wanted to that you think that you'd like To DISCUSS before i let, YOU skidattle i.
Speaker 2: Would just give a this is you know For the sickos we Talked about. Sikos Earlier cheney johnson For The, BROOKLYN nets i think. WAS fantastic i think that he should be, hands down like ON an. Nba contract brooklyn didn't really front a lot of big men out there and like no Offense To, danny wolf but he did not answer any of the concerns that we had. With him outside of just being a floor spacing. Big Man chaney johnson did so much of the dirty work For The. Brooklyn nets we saw him dive on, the ball, rebound, pass defend like finish around. THE basket i just think in terms of LIKE a i, don't know like A da quon PLoud and For The, sacramento kings who has gone From the hawks To the kings SURVIVED to nba teams ON real, NBA contracts i think that you can look at a Guy Like cheney johnson and, be like very okay with him being a part of your rotation if YOU'RE an, nba team because. He sacrifices he does all the things that the cool players on the team don't want to do that they. STILL value I just i was really IMPRESSED because i didn't have many thoughts about him coming Out of auburn SURVIVING, the nba but he very much so looks like a like hands down should be ON an nba. Contract guaranteed moving forward for the rest of his career type of.
Speaker 3: A player i.
Speaker 1: Felt a lot of the things you said ECHO how i Feel About javon Small, in memphis especially because sure now he's, on it they have too many players and so he's on his Two Way and i'm just he's A standard. NBA player i mean you look at things he was doing defensively as, a passer as.
Speaker 2: A finisher i'm, With, you yeah he's another guy who hands down is LIKE an, Nba, player like what are we doing other TWENTY nine nba teams who probably need some point, guard depth, you know, like ye to, your point they have a bunch on they have an embarrassment of point guard prospects on.
Speaker 1: That, Team, uh steven this was. Absolutely fantastic thank you so much for giving me so much of. Your time you're able just to tell our listeners audience members on YouTube where they can find you and all the great work that.
Speaker 2: You. Do, yeah well, First, off dan thanks so much for thinking of me after The lockedwn nick show that we were.
Speaker 3: ON together i had a blast.
Speaker 2: With, you then super grateful and thankful that you reached out to me to be on the. Show today anytime you, need me send me the bat Signal and i'll be here, for, you dude you want to, talk draft, summer, league, Whatever like i'm here. For you if you want to, Follow me I'm gonna i'm a big we over. Me guy Go TO noseilings nba. Dot com everything that we do written. Work there we have like a standard entry level article volume that you're gonna get for. Free there but if you want to be A No ceilings, plus member we have that option available. As well you'll get more in depth pieces and you'll be supporting us be able to go to like live events and stuff, like that and everything that we learn at those like we go and gather information and bring it right back. To you we don't keep seeing grus from family At. No ceilings so if you invest, in us you're gonna get the best quality work that you're that you can get out there from. Anybody else that's me patting myself on the back here trying not to break. My arm but on YouTube NO ceilings nba we podcast throughout the, draft cycle which is going to start around about Like the september timeframe is when we'll kick it back up in the, high year and we have, prospect breakdowns, prospect interviews podcasts where we bring, on guests we're bring on players and stuff. Like that dan would love to have you on. The show i'm gonna apply some, pressure here would love to have you on. The show uh to work into.
Speaker 1: Anytime you want to tank your downloads and views?
Speaker 3: On there, all right it. Sounds great i'll take you up.
Speaker 2: On it But NO ceilings nba on YouTube and anywhere podcasts, are available And NO.
Speaker 3: Ceilings nba and if.
Speaker 2: You still for WHATEVER reason i want, to follow just little old Me on twitter is the best place to. Do That at steven g Hoops that steven with, a Pah not Stefan but stevens with the pH THE letter g and then Hoops and, dan again thank.
Speaker 3: You so much brother for. HAVING me i had a really good time here on.
Speaker 1: The show the links To no ceilings YouTube Channel No ceilings plus will be in the YouTube and. Podcast descriptions go check, them out Go, support steve and the social media handle will be in there. AS well i can't thank you enough for. Coming on this is, great man and look you boxed yourself into. A corner i'm definitely gonna be bast bring you again in. The future so. Thank you.
Speaker 2: So much, yeah man, literally anytime