Speaker 1: Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are. Get off our show, idiot. The kids are playing or trail off punctures are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 1: All right, let's get the party started, shall we welcome in to a game day kind of a snow day edition of Coffee and Company, fuel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: There's still snow on the ground there.
Speaker 1: The temperatures are still very very cold, and roads are kind of you know whatever, I was distracted, we were we were sweating there at the end because we couldn't figure out why we couldn't connect and hear each other, meaning myself and the one and only Austin Montgomery, who's back at the iHeart studio.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: I figured out what the issue was.
Speaker 2: Oh what happened?
Speaker 3: It wasn't me right, I didn't have my microphone plugged in.
Speaker 2: Oh well that's important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that matters. That's actually you know, I can give you guys. Sometimes I do give you guys a little bit of inside info and a little bit of some secrets of the biz. And when it comes to radio, the microphone does need to be plugged in. Yes, I can confirm. And now you guys know that too.
Speaker 4: So there was a sweat when I heard you say that I'm talking and I'm like, oh boy, yeah, i know I'm connected.
Speaker 2: Everything's here. But you're a smart man. I knew you'd figure it out.
Speaker 1: Well. I could hear the station and he couldn't get me in, and I'm thinking, what's going on? And then I realized, oh, yeah, you unplugged your mic because you were I was using it for a different piece of equipment earlier today. So it was on me and the reason that I was not ready to go, and I had a very unfortunate start to the show. We're going to get this thing back on the rails and we're gonna have fun. But I'll explain myself. So I made the decision today to leave the house in my vehicle, and I had not done that since the snowing on Saturday, Like a Sunday morning, so again, I have a driveway that anybody who ever comes to my home for the first time probably pulls in or chooses not to pull in, and then they walk up to the home, or maybe they did pull in and they just think, man, it would suck to live here. This driveway sucks and it it You're You're not wrong.
Speaker 3: It's not ideal. I mean we're used to it now.
Speaker 1: And uh when when whenever we don't have ice on the driveway, it usually is something that you know, that's that's not not much of an issue for us. But my wife, she has a newer vehicle. She's the you know, she's she's the one with all the money. Well, actually, if we have any money, it's because of her, That's what I'll say, because I don't even know.
Speaker 3: Again, I got this plastic card.
Speaker 1: I swipe it when I need to survive with gasoline and food and that's where and it works. Got got it connected to my FanDuel sports book accounts, so you know, it's all I need.
Speaker 3: I'm a simple man.
Speaker 4: She doesn't get mad when she sees a fandel deposit, does she?
Speaker 1: Oh, no, no, okay, yeah, she knows if that's all he's gonna If that's all he's gonna be worried about, then I think I'll you know, I don't have some coke habit or anything like that that she's got to worry about. So she lets me. She lets me get away with, you know, depositing some money here and there to get the action.
Speaker 2: She sounds like a keeper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's great. And again that's why she's got the newer, nicer vehicle. And it has one of those uh you know, you can go into like off road mode, you can go into snow mode. And I've been driving her vehicle yesterday in this morning to take the kids to get him out of the house. And she went to work today and then I had to had to run an errand so I left and I felt not great, you know, because I was I mean, I didn't have to do anything.
Speaker 3: Other than just have it and drive.
Speaker 1: I didn't puts the gas and as soon as we hit the driveway hill going down, it was it was a smooth slide to or you know, just ice. So I come back and it's about two fifteen and I'm thinking, all right, let's make sure you know, we're not coming in crazy hot, but let's get some speed because I'm gonna need to really test this twenty nineteen Volkswagen Atlas to see if it's gonna be able to get up this hill.
Speaker 3: And it did not.
Speaker 1: I got close to close to the top and then just kind of slid down, got out of the vehicle, started doing some shoveling, had the not only the snowshovel, but the actual shovel. I just to crack the ice, you know what I mean, Yeah, and get it out of the way. And I thought I'd given myself a pretty you know, pretty decent amount of space for the for the tires, and my tires are new new ish, I should say, there were less than a year old. So I thought I left enough traction area to where if I get some decent speed, I've now got some spots to kind of, you know, take off from. And I tried, and I got even closer. But what happened is once I once I started sliding back down, my vehicle completely slid to the left.
Speaker 3: So right now I'm in the middle of my.
Speaker 1: Driveway, which is a big hill, and my vehicle is facing the street. It's if I'm driving down the street, but I've just been driving through yards, not you know, the actual road itself. So uh, that's you know, I tried to And now now I'm worried if I've run out there during the break, like did you know, did the momentum of my vehicle did it make some of that ice melt to where my vehicle is just gonna flip over?
Speaker 3: Like it's not not ideal?
Speaker 2: Wow, but you know that's what is your battery on? Not backwards?
Speaker 3: Oh no, we don't. We're at that. It's okay, no battery issue here.
Speaker 2: But I think that's important too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and I'll tell you what had had had I not had to go run an errand and I mean it's my wife's fault. I'm not gonna blame her, but I'm just gonna tell everybody that listens to my radio sure that it's her fault because I said, look, honey, I don't think it's a good idea for me to be out uh and in risk not having because we've got enough snow here now to where they're the the the community that I live in, I'm not sure if it's like the government city the city if I don't know who does it, but we get our like the community, we live in plows our roads. So you know what's happened is that like every but the end of everybody's driveway is just a big wall of snow because they're just pushing it to the side. Right, So I don't even like, I don't even have the ability to leave my vehicle in the road. So I did not want to get my car out. I wanted to say, look, I'll just work from home. We're gonna go to the game tonight, Like, well, you know, I'll just meet you meet me here after you get off work and when I'm done with the show, bull head down and we'll go because I don't trust my vehicle.
Speaker 3: And she's like, no, but we need to meet for lunch. We need to go to lunch.
Speaker 1: I want to go to lunch, and I mean, story of my life, right, women, women can't get enough. My wife can't get enough of that's right. So you know I ended up meeting for lunch. And I knew whenever I made the trip back here that it was gonna be tough.
Speaker 3: And now here we are so sounds.
Speaker 4: Like she's already stir crazy. Once you get out for lunch, get out of the house.
Speaker 1: It sounds too Yeah, yeah, I was stir crazy myself, and it was it was nice to to to you know, to to leave and actually you know, see other humans and that kind of stuff. But I just I now, you know, I knew when we moved in the hill was an issue. And we had one little weather weekend where it was just really and we got a little bit of something to where it was, you know, for one night, I couldn't get up the driveway and now like I'm worried. I mean, I'm gonna have to literally either pay somebody to come and completely clean off the driveway or I'm gonna have to do it myself because if not, like we're not getting me we're not getting below freezing anytime soon, and we're gonna get more of this you know, wintery mix or whatever. Maybe it's snow, maybe it's ice. I haven't followed, but I know Friday we're supposed to get more winter weather. So I got to figure something out. But I just now know that with the vehicle that I have, I'm just gonna have to leave it in the garage if in fact we get weather like this, because it's it's a it's a nightmare scenario for me. But hey, at least have electricity. There's still people out there that they don't have power, which would be a real issue. Apparently some folks in Oldham County are still dealing with some power outages, So godspeed, that would be that would be the worst uh being being stuck in with no electricity. And I mean even if you could find a way, like if you have a fireplace or you've got like a generator, like obviously you know that could that that could help you get by to where you're not gonna freeze to death. Maybe you can keep your fridge on that kind of stuff. But still, like that's such an inconvenience and it and it, you know, I mean, if you don't have those resources, like a generator, that kind of stuff, it can be more dangerous. But yeah, if if the only thing I gotta deal with is making the decision myself to leave and then not be able to get up my driveway, then I'd say I'm doing okay compared to some Because again, I'm sure there are many of you right now that may not even be listening because you don't have electricity.
Speaker 3: Maybe your phone.
Speaker 1: Died, I don't know, or maybe you're in your car driving around staying warm because you have no heat in your home.
Speaker 3: Which that's right, that's the case.
Speaker 1: I feel sorry for you, but at least you know we're here and hopefully we can distract you from from those from those inconveniences. So anyways, we got we got a big afternoon for you, guys. I was gonna say three hours, but I've already wasted eight hours or not. I've already wasted nine minutes of the first hour here discussing my personal issues, which I'm sure none of you care about, but Louisville Clemson's and eight Can I say it kind of feels like a big game, like it kind of feels like, you know, it kind of feels like something we haven't had in a while. And when I mean by that is a conference game where you have momentum and you realize you're playing well enough to where you should win.
Speaker 3: You're on your home floor.
Speaker 1: And also it's a win that has value, right, I mean, this one has more value than the Carolina one. I mean, maybe that won't be the case at the end of the season. And look, I'm well aware that even the wins that we are claiming have some type of value in the acc those that value is not very much, but at least it's something. So I don't know what the crowd's gonna look like. I know Rick Kieber has really been very gracious with tickets. I mean, he's purchased I'm not sure how many in total, but I know a lot of folks were able to secure a couple of tickets, and I think even earlier today. I don't know if they're still available now, but I know he did a giveaway yesterday, last night and even earlier today, So I'm sure if you want to try to find some tickets for free, it wouldn't be that difficult to do. Maybe I'm wrong, but either way, the folks that are there like this is where we're at now. And I know I'm setting myself up here to say something that gets used against me, to make fun of Louisville basketball and all that kind of stuff, and I know people are going to hear what they want to hear and take it in whatever direction they want to take it.
Speaker 3: So I'll live with it.
Speaker 1: But right now, if you have the Lower Bowl rocking and there's good basketball being played, there are plays where there's clearly some momentum being shifted, like the atmosphere is gonna be good and it'll look good on TV. And unless the players themselves are looking up to the upper level and noticing some empty seats, like I don't think it'll be much of an issue. So I know that that's not ideal, meaning where Louisville basketball just becomes a program that you know, for games that have value, they're at least filling up the lower bowl. Like I know we want to get back to twenty two thousand plus and all that, and maybe we will one day when it comes to the big games. But I mean, I bring all this up to say, I still feel like, even though the number may not be impressive on the box score or whatever they announce, maybe you'll go tonight and you'll look up, you'll look upstairs and see that it's not full.
Speaker 3: Maybe it'll be the leading.
Speaker 1: Topic on KSR tomorrow if there's some empty seats like whatever, I just know that the crowd tonight that is gonna be there. There'll be enough of them to where again, if there's good basketball being played, that place is gonna be an atmosphere where you have an advantage. If you're Louisville now doesn't mean you're gonna win. And I know some people have complained about this team maybe not playing as well at home and all that nonsense. But I'm pumped for tonight, I really am. And I hate that I even brought up attendance. I really didn't want to do that, but I started talking about how the tickets could still be available, and I just, you know, I can't help myself.
Speaker 3: Like Austin, you and I were.
Speaker 1: There along with Mercedes on on Sunday for the sorry on New Year's Day for the Carolina game, and at no point did I ever even look or think or let alone speak about crowd or seats and the amount of people because Louisville was playing well and really led for what the nearly the whole game, yeah, to where like it just you know, the energy was good, Like you know, I just I hate that it's still a topic. But that's that I guess that's really just a rivalry.
Speaker 3: Thing, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we're having a good time. We're vibing.
Speaker 4: And honestly, as I've gotten older and have gone to these games, as long as especially at the Young Center, as long as like the lower bullpart is packed, then that's where like all the enthusiasm comes from.
Speaker 2: It's awesome.
Speaker 4: Whenever you could get was a young center hold like about is it twenty thousand and twenty two, twenty two thousand, and I would I would at least say an extra eight to ten thousand is probably up at the top, but it was pretty still lively and kicking in the lower bowl air. I feel like that always makes a difference.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, I go back to the whole generational conversation because I think it's really just an example of how different generations, different eras of society developed different habits as far as what they do when it comes to how they spend their money, how they spend their time. So, you know, Louisville basketball and even Kentucky ran into this at some point, and I'm not sure if it's still the case or not, but the lower level people would be dressed like you know, business first class, and they wouldn't necessarily be into it as much, and it would be a complaint because you know, there'd be you know, it's funny how things evolve. The conversation about a crowd and attendance this day and age is now about like way, there's many people go into games like, well, can you believe there's empty seats? That kind of stuff, but you know, not even I guess maybe right around ten years ago, the conversation was about not about the people who went, because you had people that went, but it was about who they were, right, like why can't we get more or the high energy fans down there instead of the red sweater vests that have their arms crossed. You know, why is the students section not a bigger representation? Why isn't our student section better? Because years ago we didn't leave that many seats for the students because you know, there were other people that will be paying top dollar to get season tickets in that spot because that was kind of a thing to do. So look, I think the whole you know, the generational aspect of it is is a bigger deal than people realize. But to your point, the people that are down there now in those lower seats, I mean, I feel like more often than not, it's not just like what they show on the big screen or what you see on television, but like if you're there, like it's a good atmosphere. The people that are there clearly are all.
Speaker 3: In on this team.
Speaker 1: Not to say they think they're going to be, you know, phenomenal and make a deep run in the tournament. But I think those that are showing up, maybe not every game, but those that do make it a point to be there, especially for a night like tonight where the weather sucks and it's convenient to just not go because of how cold it is, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Like, the people that are going to be there, they made the decision.
Speaker 1: They're excited about this game, and they're expecting Louisville to to continue to ride that momentum that they have. So I'm excited. And it's not just Louisville that's got a big game tonight. There's a lot of really good college basketball games. We are only seven days into January and really just kind of getting into the year now that the holiday has passed. So you're gonna start seeing every Tuesday, every you know, every Wednesday, the occasional Thursday, like the college basketball we got conference games from the Power five leagues. Really Monday through I mean, it's all week, to be honest with you, but I think Tuesdays are going to continue to be the big days where.
Speaker 3: You see more college basketball games than any other day. Of the Yeah, any other.
Speaker 1: Weekday, I should say, So we'll get into all that also some of the things I want to spend some time on before we wrap it up here and get out of here at six o'clock.
Speaker 3: I do want to talk. I'll give you you know where Louisville is right now.
Speaker 1: And I hate acting like I'm about to provide information that you guys probably don't already have or you clearly you know you just don't utilize this show to get your information. But they're starting to run out of spots, I feel like in the portal for Louisville. So we've got a pretty good feel for what the class looks like right now, and I'll give you kind of my thoughts as to where it is right now. Bracketology is something that I oftentimes kind of laugh at, and I still think it is funny that we look at it so much, because you know, we know there's gonna be a lot of games played, and whatever your resume looks like now may not look that way. In fact, there's a good chance it doesn't look exactly the same when you get to selection Sunday. But I've just been able to ignore bracketology in recent years for obvious reasons. But now I'm looking everywhere any you know, anybody that's got to that's got a bracket that they've put together that partakes in bracketology. I'm wanting to see where Louisville is. And it's just nice to know that, like, hey, we're we're able to kind of right now. No guarantee they make it, but right now looks like they're probably in. And to know that, you know, you're alive when we're you know, a couple of months away from from from selection Sunday. We don't want to feel like this is like a reason to party, but it kind of feels like a reason to party because of how bad things have been in recent years. And we got a lot of other things we'll get into today, so stick around. It's Coffee and Company. We are fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety from the Fox Sports Studios in Los Angeles. You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine day. So no movement yet in the point spread. Louisville still favored by three and a half. That is what I saw is the opening line yesterday. Not a not a real surprise, probably probably a game that you know makes sense that there wouldn't be much change before you get to actual tip off. And I'm just looking here at all the games that we have tonight. Kentucky's taking on Georgia at Georgia clearly a road game in the SEC, with the league being as good as it is. I mean one, I don't know if there's anybody in the SEC this year that you look at a road game and think, you know, well, let's just go in there and get it over with because we know we can play subpar.
Speaker 3: But they're so bad.
Speaker 1: I mean, I believe george is a team that is technically, when it comes to the numbers, the metrics, the formulas, if you will, they're one of the worst teams in the SEC. But I think that probably says something if I'm being honest. So Kentucky favored about two and a half. I think that's also the line that opened up yesterday. But yeah, just conference matchup after conference matchup, and a really big one tonight in the ACC because Duke and Pitt will play. Pitt will go to Duke, and I cannot believe Duke's a fourteen and a half point favorite. I guess, I guess that makes sense. Duke's a really good team. You know, they have a great, great resume right now. I mean, their losses are too good teams, and they actually have decent wins. They're really really favorable in both the Ken Palm and the nets.
Speaker 3: So you know, Duke is good.
Speaker 1: But I guess what's crazy and scary is that Duke's a team that already has put themselves in a position, as we get January, started to be one of the best teams in the country, a number one seed right now if the tournament started today. And yet the scary thing is that they're supposed to be a lot better, probably in like six weeks or two months, because you know, they got freshmen that you know will no longer be freshmen by the time you get to later in the college basketball season. So maybe I shouldn't be surprised, because look, the ACC stinks, but Duke's an elite team this year that nobody'd be shocked if they end up winning the national championship. Therefore, Pittsburgh clearly being the second best team in the ACC, them being you know behind, you know, them being favored by fourteen and a half, I guess really isn't that big of a that big of a surprise. But according to Ken Pom, Pittsburgh seventy eight. I'm sorry, Duke will win seventy eight to sixty six. So if you for somebody that wants to get in on some action there, the Kin Palm formula would tell you that Pittsburgh should be able to cover that big number there. But yeah, I mean, let's just get into it. Because bracketology, you know, everybody's aware that it's really not worth a whole lot. And the reason I guess I feel the need to kind of remind people all the time about that is because I feel like a hypocrite because I've always fought anytime I see a bracketology link, rather it be from Lenardi or some of the other college basketball outlets out there that do bracketology.
Speaker 3: There's Jerry Palm from CBS.
Speaker 1: I always mention bracket guy Dave, who used to work for NBC Sports and now he's doing his own thing, and he is when it comes to bracket Matrix. He is one of the most accurate at predicting the bracket every year. He just doesn't work for one of the big companies. But you know, whenever you've got a team that, of course you know, is looking like they're safely in the tournament, looking like they're going to be on the bubble, you know, you find yourself looking pretty often because you just want it's a reference point, right You know that whoever's putting that out there, it's not the real bracket. You also know that college basketball still has plenty of time to go before we get there. So you know, I think we can acknowledge that it doesn't mean a whole lot, but also, you know, it gives you at least a reference point because more often than not, in bracketology right now as it stands, with what fourteen to fifteen games for everybody that's that's played, and you still have your entire conference slate to go for everybody, it's not it doesn't take that hard to kind of really, you know, it wouldn't be easy to just snap your fingers into. But if you look at generally where teams are in the kin palm and the net, you could even reference the AP if you want, you can probably get a feel for like the range of whatever seed certain teams would be. And at this point in the game, that's what at least I'm looking at, right, I'm not looking at who they're against, what region they're in, because that is the ultimate toss up that really you can't predict. That's just that's that's not based off of you know, resume quite as much. So again there's my claimer. Yes, I have oftentimes talked about how silly bracketology is, but it probably.
Speaker 3: Came from a sad place.
Speaker 1: It came from a place of me just missing being you know, able to look at bracketology and want to see where Louisville is and either be pleased with that potential scenario or yell about Joe Lenardi not being credible. So anyways, right now, Louisville according to Lenardi, And I mentioned this yesterday with bracket guy Dave, and I always shout him out because he's just a regular dude who just decided he wanted to get in that game, if you can call it a game, the bracketology game, and every year Bracketmatrix dot coms allows anybody to be a part of it and share you know, their updates and far as far as what they project, and you know, they don't treat anybody any different, right, And That's why I always make funnel Nardi because this is you know, he's Joey Brackett's he's in his bracket bunker whenever they've got college basketball going on in February. And yet he's not even like for years, he wasn't even a top fifty guy as far as being accurate when it comes to how the field looks. So anyways, but the one that everybody looks at more often than than you know, than others, and it's reference more than any than any place on ESPN and Leonardi, So I'll use is just because I realized that's the one that you know, even if he's not the most accurate, it's the one that most people are probably gonna reference. If you google bracketology or if you ask somebody have you seen the latest bracketology, They're probably gonna think you're talking about the one and only Joey Bracketts. So LOUISVI right now, according to Lenardi, would be in as a ten seed, and they are one of five ACC teams that would be in today. So again this goes back to the conversation about the ACC.
Speaker 3: Like Duke is e lead.
Speaker 1: Duke right now is a one seed and I don't I would. I don't think many would disagree that they've qualified to be a one seed. And then after that, you've got four teams that are projected to make it and one on the bubble. The best seed currently and I you know, you can't really dispute this, but the best seed outside of Duke is Pittsburgh as a sixth seed.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I think Pittsburgh's good.
Speaker 1: But even if they end up like being as good as I think they are, because right now they're sitting at twelve and two and they have two losses to two teams that are both currently in the top twenty, Wisconsin and Mississippi State, So I think Pittsburgh's actually really good. They have wins against West Virginia, LSU, Ohio State, you know, and then the rest of the way they're gonna play ACC teams, So tonight this is their biggest chance to kind of show who they are a road game at Duke, but like if they end up getting blown out, wouldn't be a big shock. And then the rest of the way, like they could end up going let's just let me throw it. Let's say Pittsburgh goes sixteen and four. Seventeen and three in the ACC. That I mean that that would put them at twenty six and five. Like you would think typically an ACC team with that kind of record would get a really good seed, but at this point, like I don't know if they would. They're gonna clearly they'd make the tournament and they'd have a fine seed, but like the I think right now seeing sort of where And this isn't just Leonardi again, nobody's picking on the ACC. Anybody claiming that college basketball nerds and bracketology folks are you know, just they're biased against the ACC. No, like pay attention, wake up. The league has fallen off in hoops in a major way. And yes, I'm aware Louisville had a big role in that they were really bad for a long time and they used to be counted on as a program to support the belief that the ACC is a really good league. But you know what, like they're probably well, they could finish in the top five of this league this year. And you know, I think that's say a lot about Pat Kelse, but let's be real, it also say a lot about the league as far as what it is now compared to what it wants. To be what it once was, I should say, so Pittsburgh is a sixth seed safe and then after that you gotta go down to a non seed. That's where Clemson is. Louisville is a ten seed, Carolina is an eleven seed, which actually puts them on the bubble, and technically Louislle could be on the Louis's on the bubble as well. I guess they're not the They're not the.
Speaker 3: Last four in. They're that next group.
Speaker 1: So you know, they are the number thirty nine overall seed according to Lenardi's projections. Here, so you got Louisville, Carolina, and smu are are all bubble teams. Two are projected to be in now one is not. But man, I feel like even Clemson is a nine seed, Like I kind of feel like you could make the case that they would be a bubble like a non seed.
Speaker 3: I feel like maybe you're flirting with the bubble.
Speaker 1: I kind of have always viewed that as like you were on the bubble and it's like a gift that you got in. Like anytime I see an eight or a non seed, I typically think, well, okay, what they're doing here is just saying, hey, we don't really think you're good enough, but you know, you barely made the cutoffs. So here's your chance. You play another team of your caliber that's fortunate to be here, and your gift is having to play one seed in the second round, and that'll be where you really get a chance to show if you're good or not. Like, in fact, the eight nine games typically I feel like feature at least two or three, in fact, four of the overall eight seeds that go out to the eight or nine seeds that are out there, if you know what I'm saying. And I think I may not have worded that the way I wanted to, but you know what I mean. Right, there's four eight seeds and four nine seeds at least half of each are teams that, like you kind of know should have been better than they were, but like you know, you understand why they're seeded where they are. But if they get hot, like maybe they could end up really challenging that one seed in the round of thirty two. I'm just getting I'm just getting lost here talking bracketology because it's been a long time. It's kind of like I forgot how good a drug was then I was away from it for a while and now it's kind of back, like I'm just want to talk brackets.
Speaker 3: It's January seventh. I feel good, dude, January seventh.
Speaker 1: I want to talk selection Sunday like that's It's kind of where I'm at right now. So anyhow, the ACC's it's not in a good place, and that is not a good thing overall. But I knew as soon as Pat Kelsey got hired and as soon as he started putting together the key pieces to this team. It's never an ideal situation for your conference to be falling off a cliff like this one is in basketball, However, you could take it. You could take advantage of that, and you're one with Pat Kelsey. And I think you know tonight like Louisville to me with the way they played against Carolina, And I know Carolina is way down, like they're not safely in the tournament, no doubt, trust me. I know all that, but I still believe despite that, they're one of the more talented teams in the conference. Therefore, like if you can beat Carolina, beat Virginia about twenty, and then take care of business and beat Clemson at home, a team that right now is in the tournament, and if you beat them, it probably doesn't remove it won't remove them from the tournament. Therefore, like I feel like the rest of the way, not to say you can just put it on cruise control and not worry about anybody else, because you could lose to anybody. We learned that against Utel, we learned that against EKU, So like they're gonna have to come ready to play. They have very little room for error when it comes to poor play and still expecting to win. But just given where the league is, you've already played Duke, that's out of the way. They're clearly in a world of their own when it comes to this league right now, and you don't play Carolina again. If Clemson is like these two, these next two games Clemson and Pitt, those are your opportunities to get wins of value. Now Pitt will be here at home at some point later in the year, so you'll have an opportunity for them twice. You will play SMU at their place, and that'll be a quad one win, but not like a valuable win. So I kind of feel like these next two games, not to say that they're going to really decide where this team goes.
Speaker 3: But I feel like if you if you go.
Speaker 1: One and one, there's really no scenario where you can look at the rest of the schedule and feel like, you know, you can't take care of business and make the tournament. Now again, if your bubble team, I guess it really comes down to how they view the ACC and maybe you have a dud Knight and lose to somebody you're not supposed to.
Speaker 3: But I just feel like.
Speaker 1: As much as I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, kind of giving them a pass when some fans weren't. When they got blown out by Ole Miss, when they were leading for thirty percent of the for thirty minutes of the game against Duke and then lost by eleven. They competed but still lost to Kentucky and gave up nearly one hundred points. Like I wasn't as critical as some fans were, and it's because I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. I felt like, Okay, yeah, losing always sucks, but man, I think they're starting to get a little more comfortable each game with this new version of themselves without Prior, without Korn, and they're gonna get Trey ou Ray back, and at that point, who knows what the ceiling is. But man, I still feel like this team, despite these losses piling up pretty early in the season one, it's been a really challenging schedule, and the rest of your schedule is really not all that tough considering how down the ACC is. So like, I don't want to act like I'm gonna, you know, turn heel and start, you know, crushing this team. But I think if you win one of these next two, and hell if you win two of them, both of them, I should say then, like, there's really no excuse for you to not do what's needed the rest of the way to make the tournament, because, you know, unless you have an injury, unless somebody, you know, unless something happens like that, like you've told on yourself to an extent. And I don't want to act like I'm setting them up for I got your moment where hey, I propped you guys up and you let me down.
Speaker 3: I'm not, I'm not. I'm not looking for that.
Speaker 1: But I feel like they've at least eighty percent of the way confirmed kind of what I thought, meaning, yeah, they're still losing to these teams, but these teams are really good, and once they get an acc play. If this is the team I think it is, they should be able to be one of the top four teams in this league. It'd clearly make the tournament. And I think they've They've shown me enough to where I feel like I can expect them to win one of these two. And obviously tonight's a much more winnable matchup than it is on Saturday, because at pitt you got to go there, and they're better than Clemson. I feel like, maybe even a lot better now that I consider, because I've watched both these teams play at least a couple of games, so you know, you still have to go out there every night. You can't take any buddy lightly just because you know, Louisville basketball used to be in a world where you could have a C plus game and yet still win by double digits against a lot of the teams you play in your league because you were in the elite standard of your conference, and you know, like I remember winning ugly against like teams that were like right outside the top twenty five and being upset on a post game show. What a world? What a what a wake up call? I received over these last few years. And I know that sounds crazy. It wouldn't like I was calling for anybody's head, but like we we used to have a I mean, think about what we used to call a down year for louisvill basketball. Think about that, Like I remember Rick getting in the tournament with what team was it. I feel like the twenty eleven team was like a down year. Oh yeah, and yet they actually and they lost to more Head State, but that was kind of a fun ride and they got a four set. You know, they were one of the best teams in the Big East that year when the Big East was on steroids. So like, I'm not bringing it up to say, look at where we are now. Hahalat's laugh at us. But I'm just like, you know, life has a funny way working out to where now it's not even something I even think about anymore. I'm not I don't have any radar upstairs to tell me. Wait a second, Nick, you can't celebrate beating this team because they're bums in Louisville is a three time national championship program. Like I'm just now like, hell, yeah, we beat Bellerman, Like it's just life can be tricky like that, to where you find yourself in a much different situation than you were years prior, and it really it really gives you a chance to have some some different perspective on things, like I mean, imagine telling us, I don't know seven eight years ago that there'd be a home game in January with snow on the ground and it's Clemson coming to the im Center, and it's one of the few opportunities left for Louisville basketball to get a resume win against Clemson. Nobody believe you, Nobody would. But that's where we are, unless, like, is this the twilight zone? I don't think it is. But yeah, tonight, seven o'clock espn U is where the game will be and I'm hoping the Card's gonna pull it off.
Speaker 3: I'll be there.
Speaker 1: That won't make an impact on the game at all, but looking forward to to catching a vibe. I think the folks that are gonna be there are gonna be rowdy, and that that should be a lot of fun. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side. A lot more I want to get into before we get out of here. At six o'clock. Wwe debuted Monday, night were all last night on Netflix, right, I've got to get Austin's thoughts on that, because hul Cogan got booed and I'm learning that the Hulkster is a villain.
Speaker 3: I wasn't, but not in a good way, like not in like, oh he's got good heat. You like that termino.
Speaker 1: You like what I'm talking away heat, Yeah, he's got like get the hell out of here.
Speaker 3: We hate you.
Speaker 1: We're not even booing as part of like you know, like this is you know, this is no k fabe here, right, like this is.
Speaker 3: We hate you, which I've did.
Speaker 1: I'm not a work brother exactly, It's not a work there you go, thanks for picking me up there, So we'll get into that. Also, this Fox Sports lawsuit, I mean, I don't know what's true and what's not, but that's that's juicy, no pun intended, right, quick break, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: It's Cofee and Company.
Speaker 1: Feel abou Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Man, it would be awesome to have been alive when this was the vibe. I mean, it's still a today but oh yeah, stuff, good stuff. You've been You've been kind of low key crushing it with the music lately.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you're like if you're if you cause you're given Like we got a lot of latitude here, we can go in a lot of directions and it still kind of fits.
Speaker 3: Like you know, it's good stuff, So thank you.
Speaker 4: I just master flash. It's old vice City used to be an old grant the thought of Vice City. That's how I learned a lot of my music was through video games, Grant Theft, auto wrestling video games. That's how I kind of learned my rock and indie hard rock and like Guitar.
Speaker 1: Hero like got me feeling some nostalgia right now because there are certain songs that like I didn't like, I didn't know what it was, but I heard it NonStop because I played the video games so right that I just like it stuck with me. Like there was a Tony Hawk video game that like in the first two I guess like gosh, I'm not even.
Speaker 3: Sure what they're calling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tony Hawk's pro skater.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like did you have like different courses like different like different uh, yeah, Like I know the one when you start when you're in that like dark warehouse kind of plays in the hangar and you jump through the glass or whatever, and the upstairs like at the roof, near the roof or whatever the story I should say, like there was a song that played that like just stuck with me. And then there was the first And I don't know if this was I know it wasn't what my dad purchased, but I think there was some kind of a special going on when he got me my first PlayStation. The only it came with a game, and the game it came with was Nascar. I knew nothing about Nascar at that time, but it was like the EA Sports Nascar game. Yeah, and there was the song. There was a song that played like NonStop, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I'm not doing a great job with the rendition, but like, yeah, I kind of forgot about how there are there were songs that just kind of stuck with me because of video games. So exactly we've got, you know, I just I'm just catching a vibe. But it's been, it's been, it's been noticed by myself and others that listen to the show that we've had some good tunes lately, thank you.
Speaker 4: And some grand Master fly for you. That's a kind of like that's back in like the hell. I think this was maybe even like the seventies early eighties where guys are just walking around with the froze and they had the boombox right next to their ears, just catching a vibe, dude.
Speaker 3: And they weren't distracted by devices.
Speaker 2: And oh yeah, not a phone inside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, they were just they were just vibing.
Speaker 2: Man, cango hats.
Speaker 3: We should rock kangle hats.
Speaker 2: I'd be down for that.
Speaker 3: Like we need like we.
Speaker 1: Need we need a remote where like anybody who shows up wherever we are has to wear a cagle.
Speaker 2: That would be nice. That'd be something that was such a style back then, dude.
Speaker 1: Oh and it's funny because it's one of those things and I'm sure this is this is one of many style things that catch on and in the moment you're like, damn, man, why have we not been rocking kangle hat since the beginning of time? And then twenty years goes by and you look back and you're like.
Speaker 2: What were we doing right?
Speaker 1: Man? It's it's it's wild how fast style of you know, goes in different directions, but last night this was this was a big deal in and I will say the world of uh sports, uh entertainment, because the w w E is not like the you know, it's not like the NBA of the NFL and you know, college football that kind of stuff, but it is I mean, they're both under the same the same business model, and that is that they are live entertainment for people who enjoy sports or you know, whatever you want to call wrestling. Wrestling is entertainment. It's clearly choreographed and all that, but you know, it's got a huge audience and.
Speaker 3: It's one of it's one of the rare.
Speaker 1: Things that that I don't I don't know, I don't know what a comparison is out there, because it is a niche thing, meaning that if you're really into it, like it's just kind of part of you in a way that makes sense. However, the people that like aren't into it, they they look at it as if it's like something for into them, Like it's something that like they could never comprehend and it's just like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what the hell is that wrestling? So silly?
Speaker 1: But the people, but the amount of people who are kind of into that niche. There's a billion of them, Like you know what I'm saying, Like it's it's a huge world.
Speaker 3: But I think they they just and.
Speaker 1: It's really a respect to to to wrestling because they're aware of like where they fit socially where you're not. Like, if you love it, you love it. And there's clearly platforms and big audiences that that that you know, go to the events and talk shows, podcast all that kind of stuff, like, but it doesn't intertwine with a lot of the other things, you know what I'm saying, Like wrestling is huge on its own and kind of stays in its lane to where the people who aren't into it, don't care about it, don't don't look for it, they have no clue how massive it is, if that makes sense, whereas those that are into it, you know, like there's people that I've met along the way just because of my uh work with ov W over the years that I never knew, like I've known this person for a long time, rather it be from a professional standpoint or from you know, just being friends with them socially, whatever it may be. And like I didn't realize that, like they're really into wrestling, you know what I'm saying, because you could, you know, And I kind of wonder, is it because people like you're clearly very visually, you're visible within your world of wrestling, you host podcast to you go to WWE events with credential, like clearly like you're you're covering the business in that aspect. But but you know, why is it that that that it's just such a I don't know, Like I was blown away to see once I once I kind of realized how big it was this day and age because I was so out of it for so long and I technically still am. But I don't know, Like wrestling is very unique and rare when it comes to just what it is, but also the community and people who love it, like it's it's just a different thing, man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a television show basically, and it's a television show that you're so that's just what it is. Yeah, it's it's what you're invested in. My lovely fiance, by the way, we went to WrestleMania a couple of years ago, our very first one, and she's also in that minority where she's like she doesn't really get it. So she's looking around at Sofi Stadium. There's thousands, thousands, thousands of people there, and she's like, I can't believe how many fans there are of this show. And it's just a tight knit community. A lot of people have just like opinions, and now with social media, it's easier than ever to share your opinions, whether you want to go do a podcast or you can make like a quick reel and get interactions. You have your good guys, you have your bad guys. It's just classic storytelling. And when shows are hot, especially like when Game of Thrones was a big thing, people are having watch parties and people are having trivia nights and stuff like that. And the thing is is those kind of shows aren't continually running at the same pace at WWE's on in professional wrestling is run. WWE, if you remember, was like one of the only live things still going on for most of COVID when the whole world shut down, it was to a lot of people's despair and they didn't like it, and of course for the safety of other wrestlers and workers, but like they were there for a lot of other people. And even though that that was tumultuous time, really not a great time in terms of storytelling, and some of the product may have just been bad. And it comes to those they have their eras where it's loyalty testing eras. They're in a good era right now now that the cross the cross platforming that they do. Like last night they had Travis Scott and he's coming down.
Speaker 2: Smoke in a joint and.
Speaker 3: Let's paid a ton of people to be there, be visible.
Speaker 2: Vanessa Hutchins is there.
Speaker 3: Bill Simmons, which was which was weird.
Speaker 4: I thought, I think he's a big wrestling Macaulay Culkin, Mcaulay Colchin was.
Speaker 3: I guess that's probably what it is, is they know, like they're aware.
Speaker 1: Of like big because again that speaks to kind of how like a lot of people would never know where gets that mccaullay Cochin is a huge wrestling fan, but he is because like you just wouldn't know unless you asked it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Because it's those people that are really into it.
Speaker 1: They they they stay in that world to themselves, right, And it's I guess just because in a way like socially maybe it's just not as I don't know, maybe they're aware that there are people that you could mention the biggest rest and I'm one of these people you could mention currently like the five wrestlers that have the most momentum right now that are like rising stars, and I wouldn't know them if they walked in the room.
Speaker 3: Sure, so a lot of wrestling fans are.
Speaker 1: Aware that there's people like that that are just not into it, don't really know to where like you're not really going out of your way to talk unless you're aware that somebody's got you know, the chops to do it, meaning they follow it.
Speaker 3: They follow it as well.
Speaker 1: So Netflix purchasing the rights to have Monday Night Raw Live every Monday the most long with the longest it's the longest standing television live television show es. So the fact that they purchased it, they saw the value and last night it debuted. And before we get into Houlk Cogan really quickly here, that's right, what all right brother did the wrestling world. And I'm sure there's many with type with different takes, but like was that viewed as like they met the bar as far as debuting on a new platform really getting people to tune in because I feel like more than anything I'm seeing is about Hogan getting booed, but also people kind of being underwhelmed about it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: I think it was in terms of well, WW has like the best production live production like ever. It's it's very spectatical than anything. It's on par with the NFL. It's it's it's amazing the stuff that they do live. There's no waste of movement with anything, timing camera shots, and you know, on a smaller scale of working in the bowels of OVW and that's that's where they kind of trained, the smaller, minimal scale of that. But I was as a it was a huge raw one. It was the most viewed raw ever, obviously because it's easier just to get on Netflix and stream it, so it had a lot of attention.
Speaker 2: I thought it was just like a reset it was for to.
Speaker 3: Do that that made sense, right with the debut on.
Speaker 4: For people that haven't watched wrestling in such a long time, for them kind of to come back because, like like I was said a couple of weeks ago, the Rock last time we saw him on television was a bad guy and he is like a real shoot in real life. A TKO board member TKO and Endeavor now owned WW their partners same people that own UFC, But that was part his final boss gimmick was derived off of him being a power hungry boss basically, And yesterday he came out just baby facing it up. Last time we see him, he was whopping Cody Roads with the Mama Roodes belt and coming after him saying he wants a championship. But it's almost like they said, scrap that, We're getting a brand new audience and we're gonna remind everyone who this is and then we're going to jump to the new era of it. There were some good matches, but in terms of storylines, there wasn't a lot of like real investment and a lot of hardcore people. They there are some people online that will just tune into hate WW or Monday Night Ron and say on a on a three hour show, there was a total of fifty two minutes and thirty six seconds of wrestling. And I've never been a huge fan of the fake fighting and all that. I'm more invested in the stories, and when there's stories and a reason to have a confrontation, then I'll get invested. But just pulling up matches just to have them and people wrestle for thirty minutes with like no story and like, Okay, what's up for this guy?
Speaker 2: Now? That doesn't really interest me.
Speaker 4: So they were like completely resetting and they had a bunch of people come back, Hulk Hogan obviously the rock John Cena is now starting his retirement year. They just had a few blowoff matches from the last era that needed to be put to bed, and I think going on from here on out with Netflix are going to start building on that. But yes, yesterday was a complete reset, welcoming in a whole new audience if you haven't watched for a while, like this.
Speaker 3: Is what was?
Speaker 1: That was their chance to make a splash, and really, I mean probably the first time in a long time they had a moment like that where they could say, Okay, we have a chance here to get a ton of new people who've.
Speaker 3: Never really experienced what this is.
Speaker 1: Let's try to make it as welcoming and as understandable in inviting as possible. So if that was their goal, it makes total sense. Now will that work out? I guess only time will tell, but we'll let you hear whole Cogan getting booed That's what I wanted to bring this up, but we didn't save enough time for it because I just never thought i'd ever see the day where hul Cogan like would be booed like that, because when I was growing up, like he'd kind of already had his biggest run, but he was still.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was he was the American hero.
Speaker 3: He's whole coging baby, that's right.
Speaker 4: He was beating down the Iron chic and and and everybody back in the day.
Speaker 1: He was like he was like a real life superhero to kids like me, Like it was crazy.
Speaker 3: All right, quick break, two hours left. It's game day.
Speaker 1: We'll get into Louisville Clemson as well as we move forward here. Stick around on Sports Talk seven ninety