Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Pathland, Chile for part two of our series on the disappearance of Glenn and Bessie Hyde. Robin, do you want to catch everyone up and what we talked about in our previous episode.
Speaker 2: Well, this is one of the oldest mysteries we covered, as it took place nearly a full century ago in nineteen twenty eight. Involved a newlywed couple named Glenn and Bessie Hide who lived in Twin Falls, Idaho. But because Glenn was a very adventurous guy, he decided that for their honeymoon, he and Betsy were going to go on a whitewater river rafting trip through the Grand Canyon on the Colorado River, which would right about two hundred and seventy seven miles, and he was hoping to break the speed records so that they could become famous. But they were making good progress, but then they vanished without a trace, and their abandoned boat would be found in one section of the river, and even though their supplies and all their personal possessions were still inside and the boat looked undisturbed, no trace of Glenn or Bessie could be found. There was an initial assumption that they had drowned or drive of exposure after wandering through the park, but nothing. The search effort failed to turn up anything, but over the years there would be some weird twists and turns. In nineteen seventy one, there was another river rafting trip that was going through the Grand Canyon and a woman named Elizabeth Cutler told the group that she was Bessie Hyde and that she had killed Glenn and decided to walk out of the canyon on her own and start a new life under a new identity. But this was pretty much completely debunked as the facts did not line up. There was another woman, a very famous female whitewater rafter named Georgie White Clark who died in nineteen ninety two at the age of eighty one, and she lived a very private, secretive life, and they wound up finding a copy of gled and Bessie Hyde's Mary Certificate in her possessions following her death, so they looked at the possibility that perhaps she was Bessie, but when they looked at the backstory of Georgie's life, they realized that this just was not possible. In nineteen seventy six, the skeleton remains of a man with a bullet hole in his head was found inside a boat house belonging to a photographer named Emery Colb who lived in the Grand Canon on the Colorado River, and because he was one of the last people who had seen the hides alive, there was speculation that perhaps he killed Glenn and kept his remains in the boat house, but they completely debunked this idea and realized that the remains likely belonged to a unidentified man who had shot himself in the Grand Canyon sometime during the nineteen thirties, and because Cold worked for the coroner's office at that time, it's been speculated that because the victim could not be identified, that Colb took his remains home with him and kept them in the boat house and forgot about them for several decades before he died. So, even though this skeleton is not believed to have any connection to the high case, it's still a big mystery who exactly this John Doe really is. But nearly one hundred years have passed and no trace of Glenn and Bessie has ever been found, so this is still an unsolved mystery. So I couldn't tell you how many times I watched the Unsolved Mystery segment about this story when I was a kid, as I once take this particular episode off of TV and pretty much wore out the VHS. It may not be the first Unsolved Mysteries episode ever produced, as there were others made before it, which were hosted by Raymond Burr and Carl Malden, but if you decide to start watching the series on Amazon Prime or YouTube, this is the first episode you're going to get. The theme of the episode was four mysterious stories involving a husband and a wife, and it's pretty much a gold mine of some of the most memorable segments Unsolved Mysteries ever produced. In addition to this case, the episode covers the murder of Shannon Moore by her husband Dave Davis, the unexplained death of Alien Conway, and the disappearance of Dottie Kaylor. And of course, while there was hope that the exposure on national television might help law enforcement solve the other three featured cases on the show, the Glen and Bessie Hyde disappearance was nearly sixty years old by that point, so the segment was pretty much just there for entertainment, but It's a very well done segment and does not scamp on the production values for the reenactments, as you get to see unedited shots of the actors portraying Glenn and Bessie going down the dangerous rapids of the Colorado River in a wooden scow, much like the real people did back in nineteen twenty eight. I used to find it incredibly creepy that this couple would completely vanish without a trace, while their supplies and personal belongings were found inside this completely empty, undamaged boat, especially.
Speaker 3: When you think about the way that unsolved mysteries dramatizes things, it leaves things out. And then, like you said, this was the very first episode of the entire series that came out. So since we've learned a lot of information two about some of these myths being kind of debunked, I think it could be as basic as they fell off of the scow and they passed away. I think that Glenn was incredibly reckless and Bessie was not experienced, and even on the easy parts of the rapids, they were having struggles where Glenn even was falling off and needing to be rescued from the water. So who's to say that without life preservers, without any of those other things, that it wasn't just simply one of those moments where neither of them were able to actually wrests.
Speaker 1: Like a micro version of a ghost ship. And I couldn't remember the details of it, so I just looked up the Mary Celeste and I don't know if you both are familiar with this. It was founded direct in the Atlantic Ocean in eighteen seventy two with no crew aboard, but in seaworthy condition and with personal belongings and cargo intact, and the fate of what happened to the captain and the cruise still remains a mystery. So this is an interesting parallel to that, where all the belongings on the boat are still intact, the boat is still in river worthy condition, but yet Glenn and Bessie are nowhere to be found.
Speaker 4: That's horrifying. The entire crew is missing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, wow, Okay, this is two crazy adventurers going missing, But that's an entire crew.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna have to go do a deep dive there.
Speaker 3: But this one too, the way the way it's portrayed, there really were to me, there also could have been the ability that at least one of them could have gotten to a shoreline and tried to hike out. But again, they're in the middle of the Grand Canyon, right, Yes.
Speaker 2: And it wouldn't have been very easy to get out of there, even if you were an experienced hiker.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, And who knows.
Speaker 3: That's such a vast, unkind of navigatable place that if they had climbed out on the banks, especially only one of them, I could see also perishing on, you know, in the Grand Canyon, trying to find a resource to get away, to get out.
Speaker 2: As a side note, the Unsolved Mysteries episode featuring this story is also the same infamous episode featuring the interview with Juwel Kaylor that we always liked to poke fun of. So if you have not seen this episode, track it down right now on YouTube because it is a gold mine.
Speaker 1: All that being said, if you do further research into this story and check out Brad Dimmick's book Sunk Without Sound, it becomes apparent that Unsolved Mysteries greatly exaggerated some of the more mysterious aspects of the story, such as the discovery of the skeleton in Emery Colb's boathouse and Elizabeth Cutler's so called confession that she was Bessie Hyde. Since the segment put a lot of emphasis on Cutler's confession that she stabbed her husband to death in self defense after he beat her up, it's easy to come away thinking that Glenn Hyde was some sort of abusive brute who dragged his naive, innocent newlywed wife on a dangerous trip against her will, with no regard for her personal safety. And for whatever reason, this segment gets Bessie's age wrong, claiming that she was only eighteen years old when she was actually twenty two. They made no mention of the fact that Bessie already had one previous marriage and divorce under her belt, which was not very common for a young woman during the nineteen twenties. So she was definitely a lot more worldly and independent than the segment portrayed her, and pretty much ahead of her time. In fact, Bessie's brother was once quoted as saying she should have been born a man, and he meant it as a compliment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course he did. I mean, think about the power that men had compared to women. We couldn't vote, we education wasn't something prioritized for women. Having your own financial access was not something that women had when you know, when they were married, and we talk about there's a chance she might have been pregnant and sent away, she was in an abusive first marriage. She's trying to navigate the world and creating very innovative ways to get a divorce from.
Speaker 4: Her first husband.
Speaker 3: So she is absolutely filled with it. This kind of confidence. It was not given to women at the time, right, You weren't allowed to have those kinds of feet underneath of you to say I will do what I want with who I want.
Speaker 4: I'm going to say no to a man. I'm going to divorce a man against his will or knowledge.
Speaker 3: Even if let's say she went ahead and had an abortion and or put a baby of her adoption, that too would have been something incredibly controversial back then. So she just seemed like a very innovative, ahead of her time kind of woman. And when she runs into Glenn, it's like this magical relationship where she sees this other very bold, very clever, very kind of risky kind of man. And I think she liked that because she was so bold herself. And could that have been their demise as being a little too confident. Bessie did show a little sign of fear throughout this trip and concern, but it almost seems like Glenn could either comfort her or kind of override that and continue on with this legacy trip that he was hoping to have.
Speaker 2: When Brad didn't research sunk without a sound, everything he turned up about Glenn Hyde suggested he was a gentleman, and there was no indication that he ever abused his wife. At the outset, at least, it seemed like Bessie was just as enthusiastic about this lengthy rafting trip as Glenn was. You can definitely question Glenn's judgment about a lot of things, particularly as refusal to bring along life jackets, but it sounds like he and Bessie genuinely loved each other. Now. To fully understand Glenn's reasoning for this trip, you have to remember that adventurers were very popular during this time period. It was only one year beforehand when Charles Lindbergh took the world's first solo NonStop transatlantic flight from New York to Paris in his plane the Spirit of Saint Louis, which made him one of the most famous celebrities in the world. So you can see why Glenn would be tempted to achieve his own fame and fortune by setting a new speed wrecord for river rafting through the Grand Canyon. And I'm sure he loved the idea of putting his wife in the history books by making her the very first woman to accomplish this feat. And they almost pulled it off because when you look at the hides and known movements and see the location where the empty boat was found, they were only about forty to fifty miles from their destination and on pace to break the speed record before they vanished. You can understand why there has always been a major fascination with this story, even though in the grand scheme of things, it's not hard to come up with a logical theory about what likely happened to Glenn and Bessie.
Speaker 4: And I do very much think she was excited about this.
Speaker 3: I think she could have been hesitant, or she could have concerns because anyone when they see this scal they're like, Okay, we're going to go on this incredibly complex route. Like we said, maybe ignorance was bliss because how much exposure would she have to information, but I think this kind of high. They had just gotten married, this is their honeymoon. He Glynn chose a woman who was bold and adventurous, and she chose a man who was bold and adventurous. So I think this was very much an exciting thing for them. I don't think he forced her. I don't think any of that. I think as a trip went on, it's possible Bessie started to go, WHOA, I might have bitten off more than I could chew here, But again I think Glynn could have probably reassured her and said, hey, we've got this. Like you know, just keep in mind, we're ahead of schedule, we're going to make records, we're going to be in the history books. And to Bessie that's exciting.
Speaker 1: It is exciting, and I can understand why a married couple, no matter how much you love each other, there's going to be periods while you're stuck on this small vessel that you are going to irritate each other to no end. My husband had these friends that years ago they did basically an around the world sailing thing, and it was this big idea with the three kids, the two of them are going to go and at first everything was great. But by the time they were getting off that boat, she was leaving him, they were getting divorced, and she'd already found another man, and everything was everything fell apart. It was like a catastrophe. So I think these small, all enclosed spaces can have different results for people. But with just Glenn and Bessie, this tiny little boat and these arduous conditions, I can't imagine the stress that they were both under for sure.
Speaker 3: It's almost like when you think about instances where like even a healthy couple, I would murder my husband if we lived in a tiny home, right, I couldn't do it. I'd probably have to take out some of my kids too, right, Like, it's just not it's not for me. I need my space, I need my privacy, and they do too. And then you think about couples like you have Gabby Petito and her killer.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, And so even had they been super healthy on their ride, I think there would have been problems because they're young. They're new now. Remember Glenn and Bessie are newlywed. So to what extent, I think as you age in your marriage, you learn the goods, the bads, and the ugly about your spouse, especially if you haven't been dating that long and there's still love and respect and admiring, but you can definitely the longer you're together or start to realize, oh man, I don't like that, or this is scares me, or I'm worried. So I think Bessie and Glynn were good to each other. I think they went on this adventure. But when I do think they could fuss hurt each other, I doubt it, But I also think I'm sure there were moments where people saw them kind of at each other like I want to go faster, I need to slow down, this seems too risky for me.
Speaker 4: Could we try this?
Speaker 3: And kind of debating back and forth because they're still navigating their relationship much less the treacherous track they're on as well, And.
Speaker 1: You also have to take into account the fact that, like, what type of creature comforts can you have? Like maybe Bessie is bold and she's a risk taker and she's out there, but when you take away things like getting to sleep in clean sheets, being able to bathe properly when you're both probably smelly and you're in this small space together and you just aren't comfortable a lot of the time. I think that that could breed resentment, and it could breed irritation, And I think you're right Ash, like they did love each other, Otherwise, I don't think she would have agreed to have gone on this adventure. But I do think that things can happen to you, even the healthiest of couples, when you're put into a pressure cooker like this.
Speaker 2: And that's pretty much what Emory Cole felt when they stopped at his place, because it looked to him like Bessie was becoming less enthusiastic about the trip and wasn't sure she wanted to continue. And you can imagine after visiting him at his house, she's probably thinking to herself, Ooh, I could sleep in a bed tonight if we stay here for the little river and not have to be out in the wilderness. But I don't think that fits the narrative that like Glenn pretty much forced her against her will to go back on the remainder of the trip. I think she went along voluntarily, and I don't think things escalated into violence where Bessie flat out murdered Glenn and then just took off.
Speaker 1: Of course, another compelling aspect to this mystery was the discovery of the skeleton in Emery Colb's boathouse nearly fifty years after the hides went missing, which helped bring their disappearance back into the spotlight. If this situation happened today, it would be very easy to answer the question of whether or not the victim was Glenn Hyde, as all it would require is getting DNA from Glenn's surviving relatives and comparing it with DNA from the remains. So it's quite amusing to watch the Unsolved Mystery segment and see how they handled this situation. In the pre DNA world of nineteen eighty seven, doctor Walter Burkby uses a rather primitive method of superimposing a photograph of Glenn's over the victim's skull in order to conclude that they did not match. Since a bullet was found in the skull. I can see why people would instantly jump on the theory that Emery Cold murdered Glenn, particularly since Bessy had allegedly expressed concern to him about completing the rafting trip, as this would have been a perfect opportunity for Cold to quote rescue her. But doctor Burkeby pretty much shoots that theory down in his interview and makes a valid point. If Cold committed murder, why would he have kept the damn body around? L Ay Unsolved Mysteries segment frame things, you get the impression that the hides vanished immediately after visiting Colb's place. They make no mention of their subsequent meetup with Adolph Gilbert Seutro or the abundance of evidence such as Bessie's journal entries which showed that the couple were still alive for at least the next two weeks after they parted ways with Cole. I guess this was done in order to build the suspense over the idea that Cold murdered Glenn, But once you know all the full facts, you realize just how absurd this idea really is. In order for Cold to have been the killer, he would need to have traveled around one hundred and forty miles to track Glen down, and instead of disposing of him in the water or somewhere in the wilderness, he inexplicably decides to lug Glenn's body all the way back to his property and store it in the boathouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just seems like an odd decision, but I do understand when he sits there and he says, hey, listen, this is a John Doe.
Speaker 4: No one's going to claim him, so I'm going to take him home.
Speaker 3: It seems kind of interesting that in his mind it's possible he thought it was a more respectable, kind of interesting thing for him to do and kind of find some kind of scientific or career value to this skeleton. But it's definitely a bizarre choice. I do not, in a moment, think that Colb actually went and killed Glenn to rescue Bessie. I mean, he wouldn't have stuck around, and if he was that passionate, wouldn't Bessie and him have ended up together or something. So I think that's quite a stretch.
Speaker 2: Even after it was conclusively determined that the skeleton did not belong to Glenn Hyde, there was still a big mystery for a while about who this man really was and why colp had his remains. It's actually pretty remarkable that they were able to at least partially solve this mystery seventy five years after the fact, when the uncovered the photograph of the skeleton remains of a suicide victim found a Grand Canyon National Park in nineteen thirty three and matched it to the remains from Colb's boathouse. Once it became apparent that Coolb served on the county Coroner's journey at that time, this became less of a case of quote deranged murderer keeps victims remains on his property than quote while meeting citizen keeps an unidentified decedance remains on his property and forgets about them for four decades. It's very likely that Cold decided to take the John Doe's remains home with them, which might seem weird, but I can understand his reasoning. Since the victim couldnt be identified, he likely would have been buried in a pauper's grave somewhere and been difficult to find, so I think Cold wanted to hold onto the remains on the off chance that the victim's loved ones might come around looking for him someday. Sadly that never happened and we may never find out the true identity of this John Doe. But the evidence clearly showed that there was no foul play involved in his death, and due to Emery Colb's connection to the Hydes, disappearance, the situation pretty much blew up into a major misunderstanding. As a side note, I originally covered this story on episode number one twenty one of the Trail Went Cold six years ago, and I soon received an email from one of my listeners who had heard the episode and realized that the unidentified Cold Skeleton was not listed on the Dough Network. So this listener took the initiative to submit all the victims information to the website, and by October the nineteenth of that year that the seeded finally had his own profile page. And given the remarkable things that have been done with DNA and genetic genealogy these past several years, perhaps the Cold Skeleton will finally get his name back someday.
Speaker 3: Robin, that's incredibly cool that a listener was sitting there hearing your podcast took the initiative to go look on the Dough network and said, wait a minute, this is not listed. And so the individual got their own profile page, And like you said, who knows there is a potential that through some even maybe other cases, there could be a link to this individual's identity. It was a long time ago, but crazier things have happened in the world a criminal justice, So very very interesting.
Speaker 2: Good job, Robin, Yes, thank you. I was pretty flattered by that. And this listener was a very humble person who didn't want any credit for it, and they probably did not want me to mention their name on this episode, so I won't do it. But it was so cool that they just realized that this person who died back in the nineteen thirties was not on the Dough Network, so they took the initiative to submit him. So put it this way, if Henry Cole had not kept this man's remains in his boat house for four decades, he would not be listed on the Dough Network today. So silver linings.
Speaker 1: Of course, The Unsold Mystery segment also put a heavy emphasis on the possibility that Bessie Hyde could have murdered her husband heights out of the canyon and traveled somewhere to start a new life under a new identity. This idea came about because of the story shared by Elizabeth Cutler during a commercial wrapting trip in nineteen seventy one, where she told everyone else sitting around the campfire that she was Bessie Hyde and revealed the full truth about what happened. The way the segment frames it is that Cutler was dead serious when she told the story and became incredibly defensive when people tried to question her about it, later denying that she ever told the story or even knew who Glenn or best Hide was well. When Brad Dimmick did further research into this angle in Sunk without a Sound, he concluded that the details of Cutler's alleged confession seemed to have been greatly exaggerated by the sound of things. Since she had worked for many years in the field of psychology, Cutler had a tendency to say outrageous things just to see people's reactions. Since this rafting trip was camped near the spot where the Hide' vote was found and the guide decided to share the story about the disappearance, Cutler probably thought this would be a fun opportunity to troll people and claim she was Bessie Hyde. One of the members of this group was interviewed on Unsolved Mysteries and he claimed the Cutler was a very serious and quiet person throughout the trip, which is why her story about being Bessie came across as believable. However, when some of the other group members were interviewed for Sunk without a Sound, they described Cutler as a witty, cheerful character who loved to tease everyone, so they just felt that she was joking when she told them that she was Bessie. I think it's likely that when the legend of her story grew and eventually got blown out of proportion, Cutler tried to deny ever telling it because technically she did confess to committing murder, which joking or not could have landed her in some hot water. But whatever her motivations were, there is concrete evidence that Elizabeth Keutler was born in Pomeroy, Ohio and was living under that identity in nineteen twenty eight when Bessie went missing. So there's no way that they could possibly be the same person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean, they are able to prove that it's not her, But it does make you think, a psychologist or not, what is the motive for claiming you are a killer? It would be wildly incredible if she made this whole story that she's Bessie and she says, you know, Glenn drown this is you know, we were on this wild trip we were going to make history, and she really became kind of this infamous legend as Bessie. I could get that that's for attention, But when you start to say, hey, I actually killed my husband, I have no qualms telling you that, and I'm Bessie, it seems like one she would get in trouble and I assume she didn't, and two like it boggles my mind that someone would think that was a smart thing to do. We see false confessions all the time, but this doesn't seem like someone who would be desperate for attention like that. Because she is a professor, I mean she had to work very different, very hard as someone born in the what twenties or no, no, nineteen oh eight, right, yes, yes, Okay, so she's born in nineteen oh eight. This is a woman in the field of psychology that used to be male dominated. She'd becoming a professor also a job that started as a male dominant thing, and she's moving and making waves just like Bessie did. Why would you kind of regress and say, oh, I'm going to try to get attention by being Bessie and saying I killed someone.
Speaker 1: Were they drinking? Robin?
Speaker 2: It's never been specified, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised because that would probably shed a lot of light on this because they don't get the impression Cutler knew much about the story beforehand and maybe was learning about it for the first time when the guy told it around the fire, and if they were drinking or possibly even smoking pot, she might have just at the time thought it was an amusing thing to do, to spontaneously claim that she was Bessie and that she killed her husband.
Speaker 1: So I don't think it's that wild in that context. If we've all known somebody that says things just for pure shock value, and if they've had a little bit of alcohol, I could see a situation where somebody would say that completely joking. But if somebody else takes it the wrong way, or if they retell that story, it becomes a game of telephone. Whereas she could have very obviously been teasing or joking about it and been like, oh, yeah, haha, and I killed my husband and this is how I did it. And then you get somebody who says, oh, no, she was a very serious person. That's why we took it very serious. So I think it's just context matters. And the way that somebody relays the story it as we can see with a game of telephone, and like eyewitness idifications, any ear witness identification, any type of recalling of events, we don't have one hundred percent accuracy. So I think that there is a scenario where she could have been joking and that after she just backpedals like WHOA, Now investigators are coming to ask me about this, I'm just going to deny it.
Speaker 3: Especially you have to pay attention to to who's saying it, because you're right, I didn't even think about it from that perspective. But what if someone's frustrated with her, insecure about her those kinds of things. Could they then say like, oh, this is how she meant it and actually try to slander her character when literally ingest she's teasing, which you know, I probably wouldn't encourage people to tease about murdering somebody. But you know, if she really was let's say, drinking or being silly or taking someone's comment and twisting it out of jest, and someone else is like, you know what, I'm really going to try to bring her down, then they could start that's you know, spreading the rumor there too.
Speaker 2: And then there was a theory that George white Clark might have been Bessie Hyde, an idea which spread when a copy of the Hyde's marriage certificate was found in her possessions after she died, along with a birth certificate that showed that Georgie's original birth name was Bessie. It is odd that Georgie would have a copy of that marriage certificate, but when you consider that her life were evolved around river rafting through the Grand Canyon, you'd have to think that she was familiar with the story of the Hide's disappearance, and she probably decided to acquire their marriage certificate as a souvenir, much like the Elizabeth Cutler situation. The problem with believing that Georgie white Clark and Bessie Hyde are the same person is that there's an actual historical paper trail for Georgie prior to nineteen twenty eight disproving the notion that she had assumed a new identity. And when you consider the fact that Georgie gave birth to a daughter in March of nineteen twenty nine, there's no way Bessie Hide would have been whitewater rafting through the Grand Canyon without anyone noticing she was five months pregnant.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so, especially because remember they said she was tiny, she was ninety pounds. I mean, I feel like you would quite notice that five months at least a poot where people would make assumptions of saying, do you guys think she's pregnant?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: I don't think even Glenn would be that arrogant to say, I love this woman. You know what I'm going to do if she's pregnant with my child or someone else's child.
Speaker 4: Even if you loved.
Speaker 3: Her, you probably wouldn't put your pregnant wife on the raft. So even poor Glenn, right, I don't think his story needed to be my pregnant wife made it as a hero on this trip. I think he would have been probably more cautious at that point because Bessie becomes a more fragile woman he wants to protect instead of this person who's going to be his partner in a legacy.
Speaker 1: So while the idea of Elizabeth Cutler or Georgie white Clark being Bessie Hyde has been conclusively disproven, I guess it's still tempting to explore the possibility that Betsy really did hike out of the canyon of her own accord and started a new life somewhere. During their trip, Glenn and Bessie were photographed multiple times and were usually shown smiling, but a number of people have taken note of the fact that the final photo of the couple, taken by Ali about Gilbert Sutro, the last known person to have seen them alive, see some much different picture. So in this picture, Glenn and Bessie looked pretty sullen, almost as if the riggers of their journey had completely sucked the life out of them. Since Bessie had expressed noticeable concern about embarking on the rest of the trip during her visit with Emery Cole, perhaps there is some truth to the idea that she wanted to bring an end to this and the only way to escape from Glenn was to kill him and leave the area on foot. Well. The problem with this theory is that all of the couple's supplies, including their food, winter clothing, and hiking boots, were left behind in their abandoned scale. Hiking out of the Grand Canyon in late November or early December is no picnic. So I think that if Bessie took off on her own, she would have at least taken some of the supplies along with her, because otherwise there's no way that she would have gotten out of there alive. No, it just seems likely that when the couple disappeared, they disappeared together. I know that over the years, Bessie's brother often liked to point of finger at her ex husband, Earl Helmet, since he was known for having a violent temper and had refused to grant Bessie a divorce. Perhaps he tracked down the couple and murdered them in revenge. Earle wound up getting remarried in nineteen thirty, and whenever he was asked about Bessie, he refused to talk about her. However, there is no evidence at all that Earle was involved in Glen and Bessie's disappearance, or that he even traveled to the Grand Canyon National Park at all. Really, what are the odds that Earl, who lived in an entirely different state, would have been able to track down the couple to a remote wilderness area along the Colorado River. To put this into perspective, even though the Hydes boat was spotted on the river from the airplane during the search efforts. It was six days before anyone physically made it to that location and found the boat. That should give you an idea of how inaccessible this jagged terrain was. So I'd say the odds of Glen and Bessie running into anyone there who murdered them are pretty much nonexistent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that did not happen. It's not as if they are social media vlogging their trip or something right where. Oh, today, we're at this point. Tomorrow, we're hoping to get to this point and if someone can hop on a plane or you know, quickly get to them, or even like you said, scale down the terrain to find them.
Speaker 4: They're on this wild trip through.
Speaker 3: The Grand Canyon, which is just a crazy, incredible physical existence. And so the fact that some ex husband who couldn't even find her when she was filing for divorce behind his back, is going to be able to locate her in the exact spot alone on this trip and access her physically is just that just did not happen.
Speaker 2: The most logical explanation is that the hides drowned in the river and their bodies were simply never recovered. I guess. One of the things that has given their disappearance is an extra or a mystery, is the fact that their empty boat was found upright and completely intact, with no signs of any damage, so on the surface, it doesn't look like they could have gotten into any accidents which caused them to drown. After all, all of their supplies and possessions were still inside the scow, which would not have been the case if they tipped over. But let's not forget that earlier in the journey, the rough rapids had caused Bessie to fall out of the boat before Glenn was able to rescue her, and Glenn also apparently fell into the water on two separate occasions as well, so it's reasonable to assume that this could have happened again, only this time they were not lucky enough to survive. There's also been this romanticized theory that Bessie fell into the water and let heroically dived into save her, but the two lovers wound up drowning together. According to Bessie's journal, the couple had made it as far as Diamond Creek rapid, which was located at river mile two twenty five, and they were about to enter one of the most dangerous sections of the river, in particular the two thirty two mile rapid, which has been nicknamed Killer Fang Falls. This is a spot where a pair of large, jagged bedrocks aka the Fangs, protrude from under water at the end of the rapids and they can just sneak up on rafters, as there are numerous documented cases of boats being capsized or seriously damaged after crashing into them. Considering that Killer Fang Falls is only five miles away from the spot where the Hide's empty scow was ultimately found, it seems like this is one of the most logical spots where they could have fallen into the water. Even though Glen and Bessie were both considered to be excellent swimmers, this was a very rough section of the river, and let's also not forget that Glenn stubbornly refused to carry life jackets in the boat. If he and Bessie are wearing life jackets at that time, then this is a survivable accident, but without them they may not have made it out of the river alive. This also would have taken place at the start of December, so even if the couple made it to shore, the cold winter temperatures could have caused them to succumb to hypothermia or exposure.
Speaker 3: It's also interesting when you think about you know, people saying, oh, well, they were strong swimmers. Like you just said, if you don't have a flotational device and you hit a current in a rapid, remember there's different levels of rapids and when there's actually places where they they are known kind of fatal risk, like you assume the risk in a good whitewater rafting boat. You think about this scal that is basically this handmade floating log. I don't know that you're going down the river end. I could easily see them getting bucked out of that, standing up at the wrong spot and falling over. But if you're a great swimmer and you get caught up in a current, if you get ripped under and get caught on a log or a branch and the current holds you underneath the water, if you hit your head on a rock, I mean there's a billion things that at that point you can't get back to the surface. Like you said, if we have a life veest on, it's possible to get back to the surface. But even with that you see people's life fest get caught on logs and actually be held underneath the water. So a million things can go wrong. It is so risky, and especially when it's just the two of you, if one person has to go in after the other, it's like all bets are off. There's no one watching for y'all. There's no one else who can rescue you. So incredibly scary to think about, but that is by far the most probable thing. I could see Glenn falling in and Bessie trying to save him, and I could also see Bessie falling in and Glenn trying to save her and both losing their lives.
Speaker 2: And considering that Bessie was only five feet tall and weighed only ninety pounds, it would have been very easy for her body to disappear and never be found if she wound up in the water.
Speaker 1: So we previously mentioned that while writing Sunk without a Sound, Brad Dimmick went all out when doing his research, going so far as to build an exact replica of the Hides wooden scal in order to recreate their journey along the Colorado River as closely as possible. After personally navigating the two hundred and thirty two mile rapid. Dimmick's conclusion was that Glenn or Bessie likely fell out of the boat and drowned there well. The empty scow continued to float down to where it was found at river mile two thirty seven. It seems odd that the scow could have potentially collided with the fangs without sustaining any damage, but in the book, Dimmick recounts incidents from his trip down the river whereas scow got involved in violent collisions which failed to leave noticeable damage. Now, I know Glenn and Bessie's bodies were never found, but the Grand Canyon is a large place, the search effort didn't launch until a week or so after the couple went missing, and there's no way to check every single into the Colorado River. But there are two little details in this story which could potentially shed some light on what might have happened to the couple. You may recall that when Emery and Ellsworth Colb found the scow, its bowline appeared to be fastened in a crevice in one of the rocks and caught on something underwater. Since the brothers were unable to dislodge it, they decided to cut the bowtline. While the Colbs received some criticism for this decision and later expressed regret about it, because some people believe that the other end of the bowline may have been attached to a body that was stuck in some rocks under water, which is why the boat had cut into a halt at that particular spot. So by cutting the bowline, the Kolbs may have severed their best chance of possibly recovering Glenn or Bessie. The other interesting detail is the alleged sighting by the prospector of the brown leather jacket floating in the Colorado River. Now, this jacket was never recovered and no one could confirm this sighting was one hundred percent legitimate. But if the prospector was telling the truth, what if he did not just see a leather jacket, but rather a jacket being worn by somebody whose body was floating down the river. After all, Bessie was known to have worn the jacket on this trip, so this sighting could have very well been the closest edyone ever came to uncovering conclusive proof that the couple drowned.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, I mean it could be something as simple as the jacket fell out of the boat, it could also be as tragic as saying, you know that was not just the jacket, that was Bessie in the jacket floating by. But when you talk about the rope, remember it was lodged in those rocks, and when they're trying to heave it out right, pull this line out, they can't. There's something that's stuck on. The weight is there. So you know, you would think if it's just a rope, it almost would feel like you could have an easier chance of dislodging it. But if there's a weight attached to that rope and then that weight is stuck underneath something like an anchor, a body, something like that, it makes it way harder to dislodge and get that rope pulled out of those rocks. So think of the weight it has on the boat itself and then the weight it has of this object.
Speaker 4: Pulling it underneath the water.
Speaker 3: And it really kind of creates like dental floss almost where it's stuck down in between the two rocks because of the weight. But if you could, you know, let go of the weight on one side, you could pull it out of that crack, and so when they.
Speaker 4: Cut it, who knows.
Speaker 3: It could have been a tree log, It could have been an actual little anchor that they had self created right that got stuck. But it also could have been a body. There's really zero way to know that. And it's sad when you think about the poor colds. They're sitting there going, oh my god, did we like actually cut their bodies away? Or at least one of them. There had to be some you said, there's regret. There had to be some guilt and a lot of emotion surrounding that too. Did we blow it? Because these are two individuals who likely lost their lives in these waters, but they had no way of knowing that.
Speaker 2: And I do wonder if either Glenn or Bessie, in order to protect themselves, could have tied the bowline to their legs. Like Bessie is a small person, so maybe she was thinking, this will save me if I get knocked out of the scow and I go overboard, or maybe if Bessie fell in and Glenn decided, I'm going to tie this to my leg so that I can go in and rescue her and hopefully remain tied to the boat but still wound up drowning, and for all we know, maybe if the sighting of the leather jack was legitimate, maybe Betsy's body was floating downstream at that at a totally different spot. But Glenn was separated from her because he was still tied to the bowline and he was underwater next to the abandoned scow, and the cold didn't even realize it. So when you look at all the evidence, the only explanation which made makes complete sense is that Glenn and Bessie both fell out of the scow and drowned, likely around the two hundred and thirty two mile rapid, and their bodies were simply never recovered. All the other twists in turns of this story, such as Emery kolbs skeleton and the woman claiming to be Bessie Hyde, are nothing more than red herrings, though they have allowed the legend of the story to live on for nearly a century, and I'm sure this tale is still told around the campfire in the Grand Canyon today. Obviously, given all the time that has passed, the Highs disappearance is no longer being actively investigated by law enforcement, so I'm not going to advise you to contact the appropriate authorities in case you have any information. I think the only chance this case will ever have of being solved is if someone happens to stumble upon Glenn or Bessie's skulls remains in the Colorado River somewhere, and with all the advances we've had with DNA technology, remains could be positively identified if this ever occurred. Overall, however, I think it's most likely this story is destined to remain an unsolved mystery. Jules Ashley, any final thoughts on this case?
Speaker 3: Okay, let me ask you guys this honestly, do you know who fred Noonan.
Speaker 2: Is Amelia Earharts navigator?
Speaker 4: Dang it?
Speaker 3: No, Robin, I didn't know that, Okay, so let me just say I did not know that. But in the back of my head, I was like, I'm pretty sure that she had a male companion, but I don't know him, Robin stop. I did not know who his name his name was, And in my head I just kept thinking, Man, had they made it, would Bessie be the next Amelia Earhart of the rap is right where she's this woman who Glenn even almost gets forgotten, and Bessie becomes this person that I'm reading to my girls about, right about this strong woman who has broken the mold.
Speaker 4: She stepped out.
Speaker 3: She's a legend in her own right, and Glenn or not, Bessie has this legacy behind her, and so it's I don't know. The whole time, I'm just kind of smiling thinking of her on the cover of like a.
Speaker 4: Who was book?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Who was Bessie?
Speaker 3: And unfortunately you have these two newlyweds who had actually like literally moved mountains and gone into hiding and tried to set up residency and fled an abusive marriage all for the name of love and freedom and kind of this hunt for adventure. And we have no way of knowing what happened to them, but most likely in their pursuit of creating this story that they could go around the world and tour telling people, they ended up losing their lives together. Which is just this really tragic start to what should have been a really long, adventurous life together and it was cut short.
Speaker 1: It really is a sad case. Betsy was such a trailblazer at this time to be going from having this really difficult husband who was prone to these violent outbursts and for her to go, I don't want to be with this man. She had the fortitude to leave him, and even when he didn't want to grant her a divorce, she doggedly pursued that she moved so that to a different state so that she would have an easier time divorcing him, and she basically did an abventia because he didn't show up. She goes on to Mary Glenn and they have this amazing adventure planned and I can imagine how exciting it would be, Like this is like climbing a mountain. Like I said earlier, you got this exciting prospect that very few people have been able to accomplish this, and Glenn has made this boat and although I'm sure it was a little bit scary, it was also very exciting. So to think of their mindset at the beginning of this trip to them disappearing, it's very sad. And then I do think it does get very convoluted when you've got Cutler confessing to being Bessie and murdering her husband, and then Georgie having this marriage certificate and having the name so similar that it can be very compelling. But it's very obvious that these two people were not Bessie. I think that the most likely scenario is that they perished in this river. I didn't even realize it was one week when they started the search efforts, so those bodies very likely could have surfaced and then gone back down again in that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mentioned many times that I was introduced to this story as a child when it was featured on Unsolved Mysteries, and we've talked about what a trailblazer Bessie was, but the segment kind of does a disservice to her because they don't really talk about her achievements and her prior divorce or anything like that, and kind of makes it look like she was kind of a naive newlywed who was dragged along on this trip by her domineering husband and wasn't that enthusiastic about it. But actually she was a very adventurous person who really loved her husband and was hoping to make history, possibly go down in the history books like Amelia Earhart. But unfortunately she became famous for a completely different reason, and that was vanishing without a trace. Of course, back when I watched this on TV in the eighties, I thought there was some credence to the idea that maybe Bessie was still alive and had killed Glen and had hiked out of the canyon and started a new life under a new identity. Also wondered like if Emery Cole was involved in their disappearances, and what this big mystery was with the skeleton inside his boat house. But once you do further research into this, you find out that a lot of this stuff isn't as mysterious as as it looks, and that all these angles with like Elizabeth Cutler and Georgie white Clark and the cold skeleton are nothing more than red herrings, and that the simplest explanation is probably the correct one, and Glenn and Besley probably just drowned after falling out of their boat and are still somewhere in the Grand Canyon. I got to give a shout out to the excellent book Sunk Without a Sound by Brad Dimmick, and Ashley was talking about at the startup part one, how terrifying it sounded, the idea of going down the entire Grand Canyon on the Colorado River on a wooden scow back in the nineteen twenties, and Brad Dimmick decided to recreate that. He took the initiative to build his own scow so that he could try to recreate Glenn and Bessie's journey as accurately as possible in order to figure out what happened to them. Even though it sounds like a pretty terrifying prospect in modern times to go on such a lengthy trip on such a primitive boat, but it did pay off, and the book does provide an excellent recounting of the events and comes up with the most logical theory about what might have happened. But regardless, this is still a fascinating mystery, and even though a full centuries passed, it has not been forgotten, and I'm sure people won't be talking about it still for centuries to come.
Speaker 1: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold?
Speaker 4: Patreon?
Speaker 2: Yes, The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon if you join our five dollars tier Tier two. We also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on The Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon and if you join our highest tier tier free the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Saw Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 5: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jules and Nashty Patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Path Went Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very many, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those, so we hope you'll check out those patreons, we'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 2: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or d rate and review is greatly appreciate it. You can email us at the pathwent Chili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 1: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy