Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Pictures Media Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Policy and Rights, the show about DOLCOM policy and human rights.
Speaker 1: Alright, welcome back to Policy and Rights. Here in Depictions Media Radio. I'm your host, Michael Cloggs. Why don't we start uh from some YU United Nations updates. Uh, well, we'll just reduce some of the highlights. As we know, the WHO has been trying to launch a polio vaccine into Gaza and UH, as reported UH by doctor Tedros from the WHO. UH said today that about seventy four thousand children are estimated to have been vaccinated as of yesterday, which is only two days into the Into the campaign itself, UH, there have been lots of of hurdles and everything for them to leap over in order to get this done. Oja College. That said, Israel bombardments and ground operations and heavy fighting continue in multiple areas, resulting in further civilian casualties, displacements, destruction of houses and civilian infrastructure. They have flagged palace in the families and continue to flee and they find themselves in overcrowded areas and inhumane living conditions, which couple with the lack of clean water, sanitation facilities and basic hygiene contribute to the speed the spread of the disease, polio being one of them. Of course, there are many other diseases that the it that are included in that UH polio because they're focusing on polio because of the vaccinations. They also want to reiterate the parties must always respect international humanitarian law, which means civilians must be protected and their intentional needs including food, including shelter, water and health must be met whenever they where wherever they are in UH In gazam So and they have a report from Lebanon. The colleagues in Lebanon and You and Peacekeeping Force otherwise known as UNIFIL have confirmed earlier today that contractor traveling to provide services to UNIFL Spanish contingent was injured in gunfire near Sarda and in Syria. Humanitarian update for Syria, which the colleagues from OSHA tell that the north east of the country and the u N carried out across across line inter agency assessment to that is first such mission in twenty eighteen. The mission apparently took place on the first of September. The inner agency team met with local communities visited essential service points including water, sanitation, hygiene facilities and health facilities and markets. Just to give a bit of the Al Khardish was impacted by the recent escalation of hostilities and details are which resulted in at least twenty five civilians being killed.
Speaker 3: And in.
Speaker 1: Yemen, where a country Friday marks a grim milestone of humanitarian colleagues. The three months that humanitarian colleagues and Yemen were detained UH by aser Allah and whereabouts still remain unknown UH for those particular people. So moving on into the Ukraine, the Office for Coordination and Humanitarian Efforts UH tells that aid organizations continue to provide emergency support to people impacted by the latest attacks across the country. In Kargave City UH in the northeast particular effected by sustained to attacks on August thirtieth and September one.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 1: The authorities says at least six people were killed in one hundred and fifty others injured, including thirty children. Humanitarian partners on site also noted the scale of damage to civille infrastructure and ninety residential buildings, shopping centers and sports facilities, as well as two educational facilities were damaged in the attacks, So why don't we move on, uh back to Canada. And as we you may or may not heard, uh, Jack Meet Singh has rescinded the agreement that he had with with the Liberals. He is not citing anything that that Pierre Poulvier was talking about. What he is actually citing in collapsing the agreement was the heavy handedness that as he claims, the heavy handedness that the Liberals put against the teamsters union with the railroads. He said that the binding arbitration and forcing people back to work is actually harmful to the work and gives the employers exactly what they want, no matter how much they tried to harm the workers that work for them. So he collapsed the agreement with that. And we're going to hear some other comments from a mister Povier and from mister Trudeaux as they talk about what all this could possibly mean. And of course the Conservatives are still pushing forward with their common sense way of running the government. The real issue that, of course we've mentioned this several times on this particular podcast, is there is no actual plan to fix some of the problems that there are. There that no one is laying down a step by step thing that is going to happen. They are not citing that we're going to have certain types of programs appear to make things better. What they are doing is just coming up with patchwork fixes for things that are actually happening in Canada, which brings me to a very interesting point that was brought up in another podcast that the average Canadian loses more than forty three percent of their income to taxes. Well, it isn't just the obvious things either, is that the taxes are layered on top of each other. And the point that this person made was rather interesting. Let's consider this. You jump in your car and you go to work. Okay, so you go to work, you earn a paycheck. Well, that paycheck is handed to you after taxes have been collected. You go to the grocery store, you go to buy food. Well, the food that you bought was bought with money after it had already been taxed, and you pay a sales tax, so you pay you used already tax money to pay more taxes on top of that. Well, if you live here in British Columbia, at least once a month you have to pay an insurance tax, which means that you have to buy your car insurance from the government, which essentially is another tax. So right there, you've we've already listed three levels of tax. Well, on top of all those taxes, we can go on and on about this, about how you have to pay a communications tax for your cell phone, you have to pay an electric electricity tax for the power up your home. That there are so many, so many different taxes that actually come they come up, but they're all for the average person paid out of already taxed dollars. Because your paycheck, as a baseline, was already taxed and there's no chance of evading that tax or sheltering your money from the tax. Okay, so let's conversely, let's look at the the extremely wealthy. They actually get their money before it's being taxed. They're allowed to shelter that money now that they have just been that they have just gotten from being taxed any further than that. So when they go to buy goods, yes they still have to pay the sales tax. Yes they still have to pay the carbon tax, but in a lot of cases they may actually find a way because they have a home business. They find a way, and this doesn't count. This only counts for the extremely extremely wealthy, not just your simple entrepreneurs. They still and a lot of cases still paid just as much tax as the average employee. That by time that they are they're allowed to evade most of the taxes that this the simple citizen pays. The average person, the average working class person, the one who even if their business makes in rough revenue, say two hundred and fifty to five hundred thousand dollars a year in rough revenue, that they still fall the category of they cannot, they cannot take advantage of certain large tax shelters that they still had to pay out most of the most of that forty three percent of their income into taxes. There's no way around it, in which case, after all that all that money has been taxed. Yes, there's the child tax credit, there's all these other other things. If you qualify to hand hand you back some of the money. But by time you use that those those quarterly things to buy groceries or whatever, that you've actually put more money back into into the tax system. Forty three percent tax and it's all because of how it gets layered on and it goes even higher when we consider that to put fuel in your car you have to pay a carbon tax. To put fuel into your home for heating during the wintertime, you have to pay even more tax. There's a lot of taxes out there. So with that being said, why don't we listen to today's clips and starting with what Jack had to say about the Liberal government and dividing arbitration that was imposed against the railroad unions as they try to negotiate a better paycheck for themselves. And well we'll hear from mister Pobier and from mister Trudeau.
Speaker 5: Last h what happened recently, which really for us was was a was a pretty big deal.
Speaker 4: There's a line in the sand that was crossed.
Speaker 6: The line that was crossed when Justin Chrudeau for a team served brothers and sisters that were on strike and he forced binding arbitration.
Speaker 4: That was wrong. Not only was that wrong, what he sent was a message that if for employer mistreats the working.
Speaker 6: People, negotiates and bad faith doesn't actually honor the agreements of the workers, undermines a good process from going on.
Speaker 4: He rewarded that bad faith.
Speaker 5: He reworded that bad faith by saying okay, if you hurt the worker, we're gonna give you what you want anyway.
Speaker 4: And forced buying the arbitration.
Speaker 6: So we want to send a message that's that's a that's a breach of trust with working people.
Speaker 4: That was wrong and that was shameful.
Speaker 7: Key, yeah, I think they wing my best.
Speaker 8: You take a bath. The numinee t back hounds the campaign ym on fire at you. They play bells ex ja the paper saying you m PreK ca Canada, namb of the key the nmporter who name of the ec of Canada's mouth sake through the car, I pray the found the shoe stands to go in the block lyder hare good could blue shi the trabi if you play the koolage mouth, I do blay let that nasa man I do blay and shows to set some yards and the dead missing and inflas young he gon f lily so making the fire salad the black the black. But they sound kept having rid or gal thether theyple sang some and they bouncing plasionist you're actec stralis adress on the park jack in sing come the alson a stand the car and am stack he gall's as Abel eve consoi Blanche Blanchet. Yeah, but they sound captaving who gad to so the confiance he met night lah or so vesu stignsudo possibility so.
Speaker 9: Or Galdi Trudeau don't tout soft the vert the confiance a met nah lah for sauves stand Rudeau, A focility acquired the pay plus on tax and Paul and Flacci a coup additionnel doncdri Mo massage or eve Francois Blanchette le Black said directe the super stages stands Rudeau. He said, pounce and flapcionist, the irresponsive Arete, the galley off war and primunists quire Lance and Todi Mirac all the control Arete, the galad of and premiers frandis atar donist and not pay verve console the grob sons.
Speaker 7: To Vick Lanchet this Alexi to Verte au.
Speaker 9: Quiva coupe tax sample batsy of the large man rapper j is stopped crime point in Canada, U too, sir a sell rafi a capabab the gang, the check the peu the nuts or de la sounds a the large mount Abo dab don communote security there s Sir leg sons met now set to block at this day Eski call justin rude couturi verte Paul. You know that Deli and Gum keep a coupe tax sample Batsi the large man rapper is stop Eli crime say cesa a liberal monsals. Thank you very much everyone, And before I start, I just want to point out how great it is to be back in British Columbia where my family I used to take us for little vacations, camping trips.
Speaker 7: My folks were school teachers.
Speaker 9: They adopted me, and even though we came from modest means and went through a lot of hard times, it was always possible to have a modest vacation in our neighboring province of British Columbia. And my folks would tell me that, you know, in Canada didn't really matter where you came from, it mattered where you were going. That anyone from anywhere could do anything. That's the country my wife came to as a refugee, starting a six people in a two bedroom apartment. But now all of them have succeeded. That was the Canadian promise. Unfortunately, after nine years of Trudeau and the NDP Liberals, that promise is broken. Everything costs more, work doesn't pay. Housing costs have doubled. We now have the worst housing costs in all.
Speaker 7: Of the G seven.
Speaker 9: Housing is twenty five to forty five percent more expensive in Canada than it is in the United States of America, where they have to house eight times the people on a smaller land. Mass crime, chaos, drugs and disorder are now taking over our once safe and serene streets.
Speaker 7: And what would the MVP do about it?
Speaker 9: Well, For the last two years, sell Out Sing has signed on to a coalition, a costly coalition, to keep Trudeau in power, raising taxes, doubling housing costs, and unleashing crimes and drugs in our streets. Sell Out Sing betrayed workers who thought he would vote he would stand up for them.
Speaker 7: Instead, he has stood.
Speaker 9: Up for Trudeau, allowing Trudeau to double our debt and cause the worst inflation in forty years. A third of Canadians now say they consider leaving Canada.
Speaker 7: Two million line up at food banks.
Speaker 9: Two thirds of kids, young people and families who don't own homes believe they never will in Canada. We never imagined that it would be so bad that hospitals would have coolers full of dead bodies because family members can't afford burials or cremations. But that's what Justin Trudeau and jag Meats saying, Sellout saying have delivered. And then on food prices, well, food prices, I think regard a CBC. Oh my goodness, CBC's microphone has falling down. What do you know, who would have thought that I'd be holding onto the CBC loco here today. I'll give that to you. I don't know if that everything is broken in Canada after nine years of the NDP liberals, including the CBC microphone and now Sellout saying has pulled a stunt, the sellout saying stunt today where he came out and claimed that he was wrong, that the coalition was a bad, costly idea, but he refuses to commit to voting for a carbon tax election. So my message to sell Out Saying is this, if you're serious about ending your costly carbon tax coalition with Trudeau, then commit today to voting for a carbon tax election at the earliest confidence vote in the Commons.
Speaker 7: That way, we can have a carbon tax election.
Speaker 9: Where Canadians will decide between the costly coalition of Trudeau and sellout sing that tax your food, punish your work, take your money, double your housing costs, and unleash crime and drugs on your street. Or common sense conservatives who will ax the tax, build the homes, fix the budget, and stop the crime. In so doing that, we'll bring home the country we love, where hard work earns a powerful paycheck that buys affordable food, gas, and homes, in safe neighborhoods, where our military is strong and our people are safe, Where immigration is welcome but controlled, Where drug addictions are treated, not worsened, where children can play safely in the streets, where the flag flies high, where we are the freest country on earth, where the common sense of the common people are united for our common home, Canada.
Speaker 7: Let's bring it home.
Speaker 10: Thanks everyone, We're going.
Speaker 4: To open enough of questions starting to get here with.
Speaker 8: CDC k their former CDC.
Speaker 11: How quickly will you trust the NDP to see if they're willing to support Turner.
Speaker 9: We have to wait till we get the calendar right now. We don't have uh a k a calendar to indicate when we can put forward a motion, but they're the NDP will have to choose are they going to h after jag me Sing, after sellout Sing did this stunt today? He is going to have to vote on whether he keeps Justin Trudeau's costly government in power or whether he triggers a carbon tax election so Canadians can elect a common sense government that acts as the tax, builds the homes, fixes the budget, and stops the crime.
Speaker 7: Basically, wait MESSI.
Speaker 9: Called la balamontaire or indy k conde vats by mayor and maman daney uh leblac the de vois dcd uh Aveca jag meets sing Esquillevota ran on carle or in sound cast of vegnifeum for a bor Galleyiu stintrou Trudeau U prouvoi augmonte la dat del deficito en concis counts who esquil le vette or de clanchet uh in alexion or curly quebecqua Roman sounds kill a coupe tax sample j uh battsio the large man is stopped.
Speaker 8: They name esp uh.
Speaker 1: Andy Garlands c TV news What what are the chances of an early election? Uh with this news?
Speaker 7: Well, it d depends now on whether sell out Sing is going to.
Speaker 9: Do what he says and vote to trigger a carbon tax election at the earliest opportunities, so Canadians can decide between a costly coalition of NDP liberals who tax your food, punish your work, double your housing costs, your unloosh crime, chaos in your community, or common sense conservatives who will act the tax, build the homes, fix the budget, and stop the crime.
Speaker 12: Need Holmes, anonoymenus now and mister polipress your disappointment on social media in regards to a machete attack you're in a nine or two years ago. In regards to a man out on bail and alleged to have unleashed a very serious attack impacting multiple people, can.
Speaker 4: You clarify your stance on.
Speaker 12: Jail before a bail, What does that me expand on that and how could that potentially impact in is like this or stop him from happening the first place.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much.
Speaker 9: The people of Nanaimo, Vancouver Island and all of Canada deserve to live in a safe Canada like we had before the NDP liberals.
Speaker 7: The NDP and liberals have.
Speaker 9: Brought in catch and release bail that allows the same repeat violent career criminals to be released within hours of their arrest, often before the paperwork on their latest crime is even filled out by the police. In Vancouver, they had to arrest the same forty offenders six thousand times in one year.
Speaker 7: That's one arrest per offender every two days.
Speaker 9: It takes work to get arrested every two days, like you have to be really out and early every day committing.
Speaker 7: A lot of crime. But no one should joke about it. It's very serious. A machete attack in Canada.
Speaker 9: My common sense plan is to repeal the NDP liberal catch and release system and replace it with a law that bans anyone with a long ru rap sheet of serious offenses from having bail, parole, probation, or house arrest. It will automatically be jail not bail, jail not bail, so that offenders like this are behind bars and our people can feel safe in our streets.
Speaker 10: Thank you well, just flee of this cat.
Speaker 8: Candidate of Florida counter sim I don't.
Speaker 13: Just appointed a radical trans extremist to the Senate, ignoring Alberta's.
Speaker 14: Elected senators in reading this comments his undemocratic supermajority for another generation.
Speaker 1: If Canadians give.
Speaker 9: You a supermajority in the House.
Speaker 10: How will you deal with the Trudeau Senate that.
Speaker 11: Road blocks your government?
Speaker 7: Well, this is another lie from Justin Trudeau.
Speaker 9: He said he would only appoint independent, nonpartisan people to the Senate, and instead he's appointing hardline, radical liberal active to cement his radical agenda.
Speaker 7: My message is that Canada is a democracy.
Speaker 9: Canadians will vote in a carbon tax election and they will elect a common sense government that to act the tax, build the homes, fix the budget, and stop the crime.
Speaker 7: It is the obligation of all Senators to pass the.
Speaker 9: Agenda, the common sense plan the Canadians vote for, rather than trying to overturn democracy and keep Justin Trudeau's costly, chaotic, crime ridden policies in place.
Speaker 15: Question.
Speaker 16: Yes, you mentioned what took me sing to do to force an early election. Does his announcement today Does that open up any avenues for you or your party to be able to do things to force an earlier election, or at least ask for one differently or argue for one differently.
Speaker 9: It does, but it will depend on whether sellout saying is serious or a stuntman. Will he vote for a carbon tax election at the earliest opportunity, or will he vote again to keep the costly coalition with Trudeau in power to hike taxes, double housing costs, and unleash crime and drugs on your street. We need a carbon tax election. My message to sell out saying is vote with us to trigger a carbon tax election so Canadians collect a common sense government that will make Canada a country where hard work earns a powerful paycheck that buys affordable food, gas and homes on safe streets.
Speaker 7: Thanks, thanks very much, take care.
Speaker 10: Good afternoon. My name is Megan Power.
Speaker 13: I am the principal here at Grossmorne Academy, and I am thrilled that we have some special guests with us today, of course, including our Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, our Premier Andrew Fury, and other special guests.
Speaker 17: UH.
Speaker 13: First day of school is always exciting for staff and students. This is certainly no exception very excited. As educators. We are eager for our students to always have the best when they come in the doors. And I'm very pleased to be part of an announcement today that we know will directly impact our students and other students in our province. So I would like to ask the Honorable Minister Goodie Hutchings our MP to speak were.
Speaker 9: Megan.
Speaker 10: Thanks now see Meghan in the academy.
Speaker 18: Folks, look before we get started today, I'd like to recognize we're on the traditional land of Theothic and the Midma people, and how important it is for us all to hold hands and walk the path of reconciliation together.
Speaker 10: Prime Minister, welcome back to the Long Range Mountains.
Speaker 18: Framer, always good to see you, Jenna, Welcome to the Best Coast of Newfoundland.
Speaker 7: Story premier.
Speaker 18: But I have to get that again and I have to give a showed it to my colleague.
Speaker 10: I know, I know, I know we do share that we do share. That have to give a show it to my colleagues.
Speaker 13: Of course, Insurance Joanne, Seamus vonn and of course here friends, I like.
Speaker 18: To tell a story about a stool. So a stool has to have at least three legs to be balanced. One is the economy, which is very important. Everybody needs a good job. The economy needs to be going. Another important leg of that school stool is the environment. We have to look after our environment here on Grossmoor, and we're in a unesca world heritage site. It's very important to look after it, especially with the realities of climate change. The other important part of that stool is community and communities comprise of many things, their indigenous communities, everyday people and children. And what we're here today to talk about his children and how we're giving them every step, every advantage they can to make a better start in life for them. Therefore making that stool even stronger and stronger and stronger. Because they're going to grow out of the economy, they're going to look after the environment. So friends, without further ado, please welcome my boss, our Prime minister.
Speaker 7: All right, honorable just Intrudeau.
Speaker 4: Thanks Joddy.
Speaker 11: It's great to be here in beautiful long Range mountains in Western Newfoundland. It's just wonderful to be back here in the province with such friends. Premier Fury Andrew. It's great that you're here today to make this important announcement together, because good things happen when we work together, when all of us work together. Great to be here, Megan, thank you for your welcome, our outstanding Newfoundland Caucus Minister jenesidz and Minister of Agriculture Lawrence McCauley. It's an opportunity for us to come together and kick off this school year in the right way. But before I get into that, I just wanted to say a couple of words about the Bank of Canada's decision earlier today.
Speaker 3: This is good news.
Speaker 11: This means that Canadians, it's families or small businesses or workers, are going to see a little relief with the dropping of our interest rates for the third time in a row. Canada is now the first major economy to have three interest rates cuts in the row, and it's because we've got inflation under control. Wages are growing faster than inflation, our economy is in a solid position, and now we're going to make things more affordable for Canadians. So this is a good, big piece of news that Canadians can be really, really excited and reassured that we're on the right track as a country. Basing responsa if I disippe, the part of helping families right across the country is making sure we're stepping up. As even the economy is doing well at a macro level, Canadians are still facing real pressures in their daily lives with the cost of living, and that's why as a government, we're continuing to step up and right now, as we're seeing the school year apart start, we know that being there to make sure that no kids are going hungry, make sure that kids have access to good, high quality food in their schools is both important for them and their learning. I know that as a teacher, I know that as a parent, but I also know they it's something that takes pressure off of grocery prices. The school food program that we're going out across the country as provinces sign on it is expected to save hundreds of dollars up to eight hundred dollars for a family with two kids across the country, and that's going to make a real difference at a time where prices are high and people are squeezed. The fact that we're able to announce this first in Newfoundland is really a testament to the work that Premier Fury has done in putting kids first and making those investments that are going to support people right right across through Finland and Labrador. We're talking about thousands of kids who are going to have access to school food across the province, and indeed, as we continue to sign with provinces across the country, more and more kids from coast to coast to coast.
Speaker 3: There's a number of provinces ready to sign on next.
Speaker 11: We're hoping Manitoba and Lawrence McCauley's home of Pi are going to be the next two provinces, but Ontario is working well and others are coming on board.
Speaker 3: But we do want to put pressure on all provinces to.
Speaker 11: Step up and deliver for those organizations that are already delivering school food programs across school districts in schools across their provinces that could use the money that the federal government has put on the table to make sure that no kids are going hungry, that kids can concentrate in class. This is something that is basic and important and it's something that we're getting behind and that we need to sign on to with many provinces.
Speaker 3: On the Tutli province, santage A government.
Speaker 11: Qu Avec vent Guerri, he owned La Presasuvid Sunken, the Dai.
Speaker 3: Province their cd cool Milo Polizian.
Speaker 11: There's a lot of work to do as we continue to invest in Canadians, as we continue to grow the economy, as we continue to protect the environment and move forward.
Speaker 3: I'm looking forward to continuing to do.
Speaker 11: That work with collaborative partners like the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador and many governments right across the country.
Speaker 3: Looking forward to keeping it up.
Speaker 11: But for now I'm happy turn it over to the Premiere to talk about Newfoundland and Labrador.
Speaker 3: Thank you well, thanks Prime Minister.
Speaker 19: And first of all, before we start, I want to not just remind Goodie, but welcome everyone to my beautiful district, to Hama Gros Morne as well. I hope everybody who made the time to travel here gets to experience the true beauty that is this whole area. The district is absolutely spectacular.
Speaker 3: That said, especially.
Speaker 19: Welcome to the Prime Minister. Of course, there is no stranger to this region, and always welcome back.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I did want to pick up first on something the Prime Minister said.
Speaker 19: I was criticized significantly when I offered my opinion on the Bank of Canada increasing interest rates, so let me also echo what I think is good news and what we've seen as significant cuts to the interest rate. I think it's going to help Canadian families, is going to help people in Newfoundland and Labrador tackle the cost of living, but it's also going to help spur spur.
Speaker 3: The economy again.
Speaker 19: So very thankful that the Bank of Canada made, in my opinion, what is the right decision in cutting and cutting interest rates. We're in a school for a reason, and it's not just because of this particular program. It's because this represents the future of Newfoundland and Labrador represents the future of Canada. And we just had the opportunity to speak to some students and really it's about making them see and understand and reach for their full potential. But you can't reach your full potential unless you have a full belly, and so I think it is incredibly important for us as governments to focus on how we make sure that children are able to learn and meet their full potential, including being well fed. Our government recognized that perhaps before some others last fall when we launched it as part of our poverty reduction strategy. It was one of the key elements of child poverty reduction, recognizing that children were going to school hungry. So we made sure that we increased our pre natal nutritional supplement, extending from what was zero to one to zero to five years of age and said that's not enough, because then they go to school then we said, okay, we'll build on the existing school breakfast program and extend it to school lunch from K to nine. So I'm happy to say right now in Land and Labrador, over sixty thousand children a veil of the school breakfast program, and now thirty thousand because of our investment last year and our budget will avail the school lunch program. Partnering with the federal government will allow us to achieve higher metrics at a faster rate than we even than thought possible when we announced this program last year.
Speaker 3: So for that we are all grateful.
Speaker 19: This is what Canadians expect and want when facing poverty issues and cost of living issues. As the Prime Minister suggested, we know my government understands that these issues hit your table, They hit you in your home. The price of groceries, the price of milk has all escalated over the last few years.
Speaker 3: And if you're trying to return children to.
Speaker 19: School with school supplies and having to look after their launches and breakfasts, that can be an extra stress and strain.
Speaker 3: Well that's the role of governments.
Speaker 19: That's the role of government's plural and that's why I'm happy to cooperate with the federal government, all the colleagues here to ensure that this program will be effective and efficient and will lead the rest of the country with the most aggressive school breakfast and launch program out of any province.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 14: Medicine's amazing well, Thank you very much, Premiere, Prime Minister, colleagues. It's really a fantastic day and it is great to be here in Newfoundland and Labrador as we launch and we announced the first province that has signed on to our national school food program. This is a historic moment. This is a moment to reflect, to celebrate, but also to continue the work to ensure that it's not just one, but we have all thirteen provinces and territories alongside us as we build out this program. As we've heard today, we know that there are families in this country who are struggling, are feeling the cost of raising children in today's economy, and that's why this measure in this program is so timely but also so important for the children of today. Today marks an investment of nine point one million dollars in Newfoundland and Labrador over the next three years to see more schools come online. As a Premier has rightly said. There is an amazing breakfast program already here available in Newfoundland and Labrador. But as we look to expand upon that and expand upon the lunch program, we'll see fifty eight more schools come online with lunch programs, fifty eight more schools like this one that we're in today, Grossmoorn Academy, where the children will be able to benefit from accessible, healthy food so that they.
Speaker 10: Can focus on being kids and they can focus on learning.
Speaker 14: Having said that, I'd be remiss if I didn't remark that time and time again, as we have discussed, as we've put these measures on the floor in the House of Commons, that Pierre Polief and the Conservatives continue to vote against these critical measures that support children and Canadian families.
Speaker 10: We will keep fighting. As I said, we have now.
Speaker 14: Newfoundland and Labrador signed ready to go moving forward with the National School Food Program, and we will ensure we'll work with all provinces and territories to continue the dialogue to ensure that all agreements get signed.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much.
Speaker 7: This question goes to CP.
Speaker 20: Prime Minister Trudeau. You no longer have the support of the NDP. Your party is trailing in the polls, and the Conservatives are calling for an election. Is it time to set Canadians to the polls.
Speaker 11: We're here today because we're delivering on school lunches and school food for thousands of kids across the province, and we're making investments that are helping are going to be helping hundreds of thousands of kids off the time across the country as people step up. These are the kinds of things that Canadians are looking for. As I traveled across the country this summer, people talk to me about making ends meet. They talk to me about the high costs of rent and need for more housing. They cost talk to me about the environment and climate change and the impacts of it. And these are the things that we're focused on. I'll let others focus on politics, but I will point out that I really hope the NDP stays focus is focused on how we can deliver for Canadians as we have over the.
Speaker 3: Past years, rather than focusing on politics.
Speaker 20: Well, what will become of the programs that you announced as part of the agreement that you had with the NDP, such as pharmacare and dental care.
Speaker 11: We have delivered on dental care half a million Canadian seniors now access dental care. Just in the past few months, despite Pierre paulyv On the Conservative's opposition to it every step of the way, half a million Canadian seniors have now had dental care, many for the first time in decades.
Speaker 3: This is a program that has helped Canadians.
Speaker 11: We still have work to do to continue rolling out dental care and I hope the NDP will continue to fight for that.
Speaker 3: This fall, we're going to be moving forward and.
Speaker 11: Making sure that nobody has to choose between paying for groceries or rent or paying for much needed insulin. Pharmacare is going to become a reality as we work on that in the House, and I hope the NDP stays focused on that. As a government, We're going to stay focused on delivering for Canadians at a time where people need that we have in the Bank Accounada announcement today underscore that we have the strongest fiscal position of any country in the G seven right now. My belief, our belief is we need to set that fiscal position to work for Canadians by delivering spaces at ten dollars a day in daycares across the country. Delivering dental care, rolling out the Canadian Disabilities and kids under eighteen, Delivering a school food program that's going to make sure that kids don't sit in class to focus on their bellies rumbling, to focus on the teacher.
Speaker 3: These are things that.
Speaker 11: Canadians care about and need. These are the things that this government continues to focus on.
Speaker 4: Next question by mister Don Bradshaw MTV.
Speaker 3: Have you had an opportunity to think about what your fall will look like now?
Speaker 4: Will it be another just a regular.
Speaker 21: Return to the House of Commons or do you now have to start thinking about maybe calling an election before something happens.
Speaker 11: Not focused on politics. I'll let other parties focus on politics.
Speaker 3: I'm focused on.
Speaker 11: Actually delivering the things that Canadians told me this summer they need. I had thousands of conversations with people across the country.
Speaker 3: Very few of them wanted to talk politics.
Speaker 11: They wanted to talk how are they going to make sure that they can afford their rent as they get back to school in the fall. How they're going to be able to hope to one day be able to own a home. That's why we're investing in the most ambitious home building program.
Speaker 3: The country has ever seen.
Speaker 11: They want to know how we're going to help with the price of groceries while rolling out these school food programs right across the country, as more provinces come on board, is going to make a real difference in family's bottom lines. I'm focused on Canadians. I'll let the other parties focus on politics.
Speaker 3: But with that said, you have to focus on politics at some point.
Speaker 21: When you look at what you're doing, the announcement today, for example, the Bank of Canada rate dropping, it would seem like these would be positive signs that maybe you would want to go.
Speaker 3: Through the polls with. So when do you start thinking politically.
Speaker 11: Delivering for Canadians is at the heart of what politics is supposed to be about. We're about being there to make sure that as Canadians are hurting, but as our economy is in many ways one of the strongest in the world in terms certainly in terms of fiscal position, we should be putting that economy to serve them. That's why we stepped up with ten dollars a day childcare. That's why we've stepped up with dental care. That's why we're continuing to fight for pharmacare. This is why We're drawing an investment from around the world at levels that nobody's ever seen. We're up sixty percent beforeign direct investment. Last year, we were the number one country per capita among advanced economies in the G twenty for companies wanting to invest in Canada. There is there is opportunity in Canada that we cannot let slide. That's what we're focused on. An election will come in the coming year, hopefully not till next fall, because in the meantime we're going to deliver for Canadians. And the contrast with a conservative leader that wants to cut dental care, cut, the school food program cut, cut the insulin for through pharmacare cut, the programs that Canadians are relying on to help them through this difficult time. Well, that'll be a political decision the Canadians get to take in an election. But in the meantime, I'm not letting down Canadians and I'm going to stay focused on them. The PA program on Renovo conti, the Reno.
Speaker 3: Came in Jui plitic could leave me Marie.
Speaker 11: In the in the stress and fiscality preferred DPT.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Next question, all right, Troy to CBC.
Speaker 22: Just to get back to the nd P announcement today, what conversations did you have with mister sing prior to today's announcement.
Speaker 11: I have had over the past number of years many, many conversations about how we get things done for Canadians and that has led to things like ten dollars a day childcare, dental care that has made a huge impact.
Speaker 3: But both of those things have.
Speaker 11: More work to do in Parliament this fall as we're moving forward on pharmacare as well, to make sure that free prescription contraceptives, to make sure that free and is available to Canadians. These are things that I know the NDP should care about because Canadians care about it. So I look forward to conversations with mister saying about how we're going to continue to demonstrate that confident countries invest in their citizens, invest in their future, because that's what we're doing well.
Speaker 22: Leading up to today's announcence, by the pre Poliev had made a call to the NDP too to get out of that governance agreement. Is there a fear that these two parties will form a similar type agreement and how would that affect you leading into the.
Speaker 7: Next year and the next election.
Speaker 10: I think.
Speaker 11: Canadians are beginning to realize that Pierre Poliev is wrong when he says he doesn't want to invest in food for kids at school. He's wrong when he doesn't want to see ten dollars a day childcare spaces created. He's wrong when he doesn't want to see free insulin go to Canadians in need who are fighting diabetes. He's wrong to not want to put the strongest balance sheet in the G seven in service of Canadians. Confident countries invest in their citizens and in their future. That's what we're doing. That's the choice he wants to take away from Canadians. And I truly believe that progressive parties like the NDP and we Liberals need to continue to deliver for people in this challenging time because that's how we've grown the economy over the past years. That's how we'll continue to be there long into the future for Canadians.
Speaker 3: Next question of guards with an answer in French as well, please okay.
Speaker 11: The decisionment can Davis, Sir can Coupi, the Supposey program, the Nuvizi policical program, the the Garderi, the suppose O Gram, the skeel.
Speaker 2: Or dij u x.
Speaker 11: Christ conif who service they can bozue the lenpgavoir Polici la serve relieve Republican none effect not Vernon believer polican.
Speaker 3: Next question, I just don't.
Speaker 23: Break the independent, mister Trudeau, No doubt there's this is a very positive announcement in the fact that there are going to be a lot of students in this province and eventually around Canada who won't be hungry at school during the day. I know that there are a lot of students and parents and teachers, a lot of people across the country who are wondering why, given the compassion we have for our own children here, the Canadian government remains complicit in the slaughter of civilians, including children and students in Palestine.
Speaker 3: What do you say to all the students.
Speaker 23: Who are watching wondering why Canada hasn't done more to end that violence.
Speaker 11: We have been calling for a ceasefire since December. We need to see an end to the violence. We need to see a return the hostages. We need to see Hamask lay down its arms and stop using Palestinian children civilians as shields. We need to see the Israeli government abide by international law and rules, and we need an immediate ceasefire. We need to get back on that path towards a two state solution where a peaceful, secure Israel lives alongside a peaceful, secure Palestinian state. That is the work that Canada has been doing on the world stage for many months. That is what we are going to continue to do to push for that two state solution.
Speaker 23: Well, it hasn't really been having an impact though a lot of people have been saying for months that the Canadian government should unequivocally condemn Israel, cut to diplomatic ties, and categorically have an arms embargo, including sending weapons and arms good arms goods to other countries like the United States. We know they're getting stuff from Quebec that are then being sent to Israel to bomb Palestinians.
Speaker 3: Why haven't you put an end to that.
Speaker 11: Israel has a right to defend itself in accordance with international law. On October seventh of last year, they lived through one of the most horrific terrorist attacks in history, and we need to continue to stand for peace for israelis for Palestidians in the region. Long into the future. That's why we're calling on Hamas to lay down its arms. That's why we're calling for Israel to abide by international law.
Speaker 3: That's why we're.
Speaker 11: Calling for an immediate ceasefire so that we can get massive amounts of humanitarian aid to end the ongoing tragedies that are happening in Gaza right now. This is an incredibly difficult situation that has repercussions, tangible repercussions on millions of Canadians who are worried about the rise and hatred here at home, who are worried about.
Speaker 3: Sending their kids to school.
Speaker 11: As a new school year starts in universities and high schools across the country, we need to remember who we are as Canadians, which is fighting for our values of peace, openness and understanding, putting aside the hate, and being committed to a peaceful future in the Middle East where and secure Israel lives alongside a secure and internationally recognized Palestinian state.
Speaker 7: Next, so it.
Speaker 3: Sounds like you're downplaying the significance of genocide or.
Speaker 11: Very well, yeah, you got two questions. There's a whole bunch of other journalists I look forward to hearing from them.
Speaker 3: As well.
Speaker 15: Thank you, I'm good after doing the Prime Minister Jrudau, welcome back to new from I hope you're enjoying your visit here. Always nice to my day in the beautiful community of the Rocky Harbor Deep Park AFM by the way, And what is the significance with this announcement being right here in Rocky Harbor today you speak about a little bit.
Speaker 11: Listen, we know that Rocky Harbor, like many communities across Newfoundland Labrador and indeed right across the country, is beautiful place with strong communities and strong families, but also people facing real chatallenges and being able to step up in a riding and in a community that is exemplifying some of the challenges and some of the greatness that you see right across the province in the country.
Speaker 3: Is a really nice thing.
Speaker 11: I will say that it probably contributes significantly to it that I have both a minister and a friend who is Premier, who represent this beautiful community and wanting to showcase the impact of this announcement for kids here in their home districts that are going to be impactful right across the province and right across the country. For me, any excuse to come back to Grossmoorn and Rocky Harbor is a good thing for me.
Speaker 3: So I'm really really glad to be here. Follow Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 7: Lost question.
Speaker 17: Hi Sanuda Ranawake, CBC News, Prime Minister. Considering that you've lost essentially a support of the NDP, what does that mean for some of the projects that you mentioned they're giving to Canadians going forward. How much of a support are you losing here?
Speaker 11: Well, I think the NDP is going to have to make decisions about whether or not they want to stand with pure Poliev, who's going to cut the school food programs, cut dental care, not deliver on pharmacare, or whether they're going to focus on what means to Canadians to be there to give them support through this difficult time and to be investing in the future, whether it's drawing in global investments or fighting climate change. At the same time, every politician gets to choose whether they want to play politics or whether they want to serve Canadians, and I certainly hope that the NDP will stay true to its fundamental values, which is making sure that Canadians get the support they need and keeping away the austerity, the cuts and the damage that will be done by Conservatives if they get the chance.
Speaker 17: Follow up, Could I get an answer in French boot m.
Speaker 11: P D vada schwas civil ju la politic, civel livre policanagia on demo, dric on concretely shows only can on buzuy course course for continuation MATII, quatral economy course met plus de jean lisprogram musical calaire republican armaments. If said see just said kill novelta Qulpi kill novelta fermal Who can mama continus c we can a MPD the personal proper him as optimist, convert functioning parallemo republican.
Speaker 17: I'd like to look at the other side of things, your relationship with the provincial government and New Una Labrador. You've had disagreements before, especially when it comes things like the carbon techs, but now here you are today announcing almost a deal together. What does this make of your relationship between the government of Newfland and Labrador and the federal government.
Speaker 11: Well, I think for people who've been paying attention, they've seen that we've been able as a government to sign deals and deliver things for Canadians. Right across the country, childcare agreements with Alberta, investments in housing in Saskatchewan.
Speaker 3: We even managed to make a few agreements signed with New Brunswick.
Speaker 11: We will work with people across the political spectrum to deliver for Canadians because that's what Canadians expect.
Speaker 3: Of course, it's always more.
Speaker 11: Fun to be standing beside my friend Andrew to deliver concretely for the people of Newfoundland and Labrador. And as we have across the country, there will always be multiple different solutions proposed perspectives on different challenges. And that's one of the great things about Canada that we get to work together and figure things out. And I have to say I rarely have had better partners. Even though we've seen disagreements on certain issues, the values are aligned and the desire to deliver for Canadians is always at the forefront of everything that Andrew does. And I'm really happy to be showcasing that. Delivering food for kids in schools right across the country starts here in Newfoundland and Labrador because of and the Fury's leadership. Okay, you want to say for the words ever, so I'm happy to address that and the Prime Minister and I have had frank and conversations about the areas of disagreement, and as the first Minister representing Newfoundland and Labrador, that is my job. My job is to stand up for Newfoundlanders and Labradorians. I make no apologies for it and I will always do it. And so while we have disagreements on things like carbon and cod what we are here today to discuss is something that there is no disagreement on. That children deserve to go to school not thinking about where they're getting their next meal. That families deserve to have a break on groceries for their children and to take that stress off them. So while there will be disagreements, and managing a broad country with multiple different socio political interests, perhaps there always should be disagreements, but this is something that we firmly agree on and I have no doubt every parent in Newfoland and Labrador would echo that statement.
Speaker 7: Thank you everyone.
Speaker 1: The show has been produced by Depictions Media. Please contact us at Depictions dot media for more information.