Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. It's nine forty five right here on K one, the one you trust me. I've got a Claude new fella, just to start speaking to you on the phone here a little bit of going. We've got some big doings with the American Legion. Claude, how are you doing today?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. Just I'm just kind of enjoying watching this little snowfalls now.
Speaker 1: Claude, you're with the American Legion. We also got the auxiliary and this is over in Barnstall, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Barnstall American Legions and American Legion Auxiliary Posts two two seven.
Speaker 1: Two two seven. You've got a big dinner coming up here this weekend.
Speaker 2: We do. We're having a Chilians to dinner on this Saturday, February twenty seconds from eleven am to two pm. And we're just asking for generous donations to help us with some of our numerous programs that we are involved with. A lot of this will be going to some of their programs and activities for students from the school system. It is going to be at our American Legion building which is four sixteen West Maine. So we just love to have people come out and eat and visit and enjoy company with the neighbors and local veterans.
Speaker 1: And you got some celebrating to do because you guys knocked out a pretty good sized national award here recently. Tell us about it.
Speaker 2: Well, we were very fortunate that this past summer at the Summer Convention, our posts received the awards for all four of the pillars that the American Legion is based on, that's Veterans, Administrations and Rehabilitation, national Security, Americanism, Children and Youth. And as a result of winning all four of those, we were selected as a Small Post of the Year for the state of Oklahoma. Wow, fall you go when we did get our American legs in auxiliary groups started or chartered again.
Speaker 1: So very good, very good year. Indeed, man, this is really good, you know something with this snow coming down, big old bowl or chili, big old bull of stew, sounds pretty darn good.
Speaker 2: It's going to be perfect. It sounds like Saturday. Maybe it's going to start to warm up a little. Hopefully the roads are going to be cleared off so people can get out and come over and visit with us.
Speaker 1: And how can people find out more about the Legion because Legion does so many different things. Like you said, you you help out with some of the projects at the school. You also help out veterans all the time.
Speaker 2: Oh yes we are. We help you know, haul veterans back and forth to appointments, and I mean they're just all kinds of different programs that we do for the veterans, you know, in our school. And I say, where something this money is going, we do well. We have seven students that have been selected that's well qualified, that have expressed interest in Boys State and Girls State programs this year, which are some excellent programs for the young students that's juniors going into their senior year. We also provide an essay type scholarship contest for graduating seniors and through the American Legion Auxiliary program, there is an Americanism Essay contest that is for third grade through seniors. They have six different categories there of students that can write an essay and win and have their essays if they're chosen through the state, can go on to national as well through evaluation and potential selection there excuse me. We also train encourage the national ratorical contest, which you know if you go on to national, if you'd win the state and go on to National. Through there it's first, second, third place is like twenty two five hundred and twenty five thousand dollars scholarship awards, and that's actually for freshmen through seniors. So you know, we're really active through the schools. So that's like say of one of the groups, the Children and Youth Group, and part of that's the American is and Pillar as well, So we really do stay active and involved with the school with the veterans and Veterans Support. American Legion is just a great program to help the communities and the people in the community.
Speaker 1: Now, if you've served in with the with the United States arm Forces, how do you become a member of the American Legion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've served, and even if you've only been like National Guard and Army reserved for eligible as well. Excuse me, but essentially you can just contact my phone number nine one eight seven four two to two four zero or any Legion member that you're aware of and fill out an application. Then you'll be reviewed and evaluated and approved and just get you logged into the system and actual fees for American Legion is forty dollars a year. For American Legion Auxiliary is thirty five dollars a year.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is pretty cool. You know, I became familiar with American Legion back in the nineteen seventies when I was a youngster, and it was all about the boys state at that time. And that's a big deal. For folks who don't know about it, you got to read up on it. That is a very big deal there really are.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's an excellent program for youngsters to learn you know, civic ow our local government's work. They actually sat up like a two party system that's what they call now the Boomers and Sooners, the two parties, and they they actually suggest, you know, concerns they have with the government, whatever it may be, and it's primarily you know, like just our state government actions, and they will actually have hearings, they will elect judges, they will elect you know, governors and lieutenant governors and senators representatives, and they'll argue on the floor, you know, different bills and things like that that they're pushing for or if they're against or whatever those things, just like our state legislature does like I said, it's a really excellent program and they have athletics and things like that going on as well, so it's it's a wonderful program for both the young men and the young women. The young men's le more now that young women goes to Edmund to the colleges there and they just live on the college camsus for the five to seven days that they're at the program.
Speaker 1: This is really good stuff. And folks, you can help support great programs like this by just actually enjoying a nice friendly dinner right there at four sixteen West Main and Bartonstall coming up this Saturday, and that'll be the twenty second from eleven am to two pms Chili and ste and is put on by the American Legion Post two twenty seven and the auxiliary as well. And what's the cost on this, Like.
Speaker 2: I say, just we're not specifying a cost. We're just asking for generous don't Okay? Thank you can help us with to help keep some of these programs going for.
Speaker 1: Well, that sounds pretty darn good. Alrighty, Hey Claut, I didn't catch your last name. I'm sorry about that. We all got excited about everything that was going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm Claude Rosendale, Rosendal's commander of the post there in Barnsall. And actually Linda Sam says they I think I call it chairperson or chair woman, you know as martin American Land and audillary and she leaves out there in Bartlesfale.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, alrighty, I'll tell you what. We're going to send a bunch of folks out there, hungry folks, and we'll tell them fatten up their wallets too while they're at it, because this is all going to go for a great cause. How does that sound?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's that's sounded great.
Speaker 1: Hey, Claude, thank you very much for being with us here kind of long distance. I don't think we'd want anybody traveling in this today. I know you're you're not getting it so much out there in Barnesdall quite yet. But it looks like a snow globe here in Bartlesville right now. But take caring Saturday. Let's make it a big deal. Okay, you bet?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: All righty, Thank you very much. That is Claude Rosendale, commander there at the American Legion, and thanks for being with us here on our community connection. It is at nine fifty four, and we've got to look at your weather coming up, closing the cancelations, and we'll even get an update here from our good friends at O and N in just a moment