Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI A M six forty.
Speaker 2: She's mom is about well listen her business. Your Lota says it short, workout, this.
Speaker 3: Bad job, don't work out.
Speaker 4: The M six forty is Later with Mo Kelly live everywhere on social media and the iHeartRadio app. Claudine Cooper now joins us in studio. She's back.
Speaker 3: She was away for a while.
Speaker 5: I'm so happy to be back.
Speaker 3: Mo the nice exercise lady.
Speaker 5: Although everybody says, everybody says, oh, now we know what you mean when you say you're not the nice exercise lady, because now everybody in here has pretty much taken my class and they know I'm not really the nice exercise lady.
Speaker 3: But my wife until we exercise.
Speaker 4: Yes, my wife Lablu Harris done your class, Daniel, our video technical director has Carnecie, who's not here tonight.
Speaker 3: She's done your class.
Speaker 4: We got to get Twalla out there so you can you can bust his ass too.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I've done her a few times.
Speaker 5: I've done it a few times.
Speaker 3: She's trying to kill me.
Speaker 5: It's it's all in love, though, I just you know, it's my my labor of love.
Speaker 4: You I think, did you announce here on your show your new endeavor.
Speaker 5: Well, when I visited you for your holiday party, I announced then. But I'm I'm supposed to be. Mum's the word about it. But for those of you who just between us, I am working with Nike a little bit. So that's exciting for a fitness person because Nike is like the pinnacle of fitness.
Speaker 4: The public word word. But it's great to have you back. I'm not going to tell all your business, but you were on vacation. You're doing You're so very busy, and we appreciate you coming here. But this is the season in which people do go on vacation. People may get distracted by life and other things. You had graduations, you may have anything going on over the course of summer, and you may find that your exercise routine may be interrupted for an extended period of time.
Speaker 5: True most people, unless of course, you work in exercise like me, But for the average person with a lot of things going on that can definitely become distracted. A week can turn into a month off of exercise real quick.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And beyond that, you have those who may have been away even longer, and I in my life, I've learned that the longer you stay away, the more difficult it is to get back. Just taking those first steps back, what do you recommend and as far as the mental as well as the physical preparation to push through?
Speaker 5: Oh, I love that you asked about the mental piece too. Here's the thing. Yesterday I went to an event. It was a PRESP Award panel discussion, and they talked about rituals. What rituals do you have before you start your day? In other words, do you go get up, pray, meditate, eat, drink coffee. Whatever those rituals are, they should set the tone for the day. And it got me to thinking about this exact question. What do we do when it's time to restart the workout journey? What rituals put us back in to the mode where we know it's time to get back in the gym or into the I mean, any kind of peloton whatever it is that you do for your workouts, walking outside. But what about you, mo What type of rituals help you lock back in.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I have a a ritual.
Speaker 4: It's almost like I have to just grit my teeth and do it, and it sucks for the first couple of days. It does because my body is not where it was. My stamina is not where it was, my flexibility is not where it was, conditioning is not where it was. And then if I can get through the first week, then I'm okay. But I gone through it enough times to know that I have to get through the first week.
Speaker 5: Oh, in that first week of soreness is a beast. When your wife came to see me, she took my plates class and right after that, by the way, it's their anniversary. You guys so happy. So she came take plates and then right after that she came in did the outdoor workout, and I thought about your wife after that, like, I hope her body is okay.
Speaker 3: Oh she was.
Speaker 4: She was feeling it and she was sore and she was taking it out on me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Poor you Now listen so insincere, I will say, as a wife, I know husbands, you guys are well cared for in most cases. I'll just put it like that and I'll leave it alone. However, I will say this, when you get back into your workout journey, there's a couple things that you can do to alleviate some of that first week's soreness. Okay, okay, So the first one is instead of taking a scalding hot shower after your workouts or the next day or two after, stick with a lukewarm shower or even a cool shower. Because the heat actually expands the muscles. It doesn't do what you think it's going to do, which is alleviate the sorn.
Speaker 4: Is one thing that I've learned, and I don't know if you use one as well. I have a hand massage or a gun style, and it has changed my life. I used to use even like a bread roller and just need get it out. Yeah, knead it out. It's like I didn't know it could it could. It's it's life changing actually, especially the soreness.
Speaker 5: So at the gym that I work out, we actually have those for the trainers to use on their clients. So there's a whole row of them. They can pull them out and use them for the people who are experiencing an intense amount of soreness. It's an excellent recovery tool. There's also ways that you can alleviate being so sore, and one of those ways is don't overdo it. The first couple of days.
Speaker 4: That's easier said and done, because you always want to go back where you remember got your work.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And something else that I've learned and I swear by is stretching every single day. Stretching even after you work out, so your your muscles don't just retract and constrict. You know, those are the things which have helped me in my old age.
Speaker 5: Old age.
Speaker 3: You admit to it, Oh, I admit to it. Okay, I can't lie about it.
Speaker 5: Here's the other thing. Even if you're on a break from your workouts, even and if you are dealing with graduation and vacation on all these different seasons that prevent you from getting to the gym, incorporating some kind of a stretch into your life both morning and night is going to prep you for when you do get ready to restart that fitness journey. So I would say flexibility is a non negotiable as we get older. But even for people who are younger. You might remember when you were I don't know, in high school, you were probably more flexible than you are today. So if you would have just taken every single day to just do some slight stretches by the time you get to be fifty, you're still somewhat flexible.
Speaker 3: But a lot of people don't do that, haven't done it.
Speaker 4: And I know if not for martial arts, I wouldn't have done it because martial arts were stretching all the time. That's just function of it. But a lot of people have not employed stretching. Before we go to break, what would you recommend to him or her or them as far as to gently start that portion of their journey.
Speaker 5: The first thing I recommend is get comfortable being on the floor. Preach that's a huge part of flexibility, as being able to get down and up off the floor. Put a mat on the floor wherever you find yourself starting your day and ending your day, could be your bedroom or living room. Put a mat there, get used to being down there, and then start the flexibility journey.
Speaker 4: Clauding Cooper, Well, this Wednesday, we'll have more with Clauding Cooper in just a moment when we come back. You might have seen some of the video we've had Daniel put up some of the video of the free community workouts that she has going on all through summer, and if you would liked the opportunity for Clauding Cooper to kill you.
Speaker 3: One of her workouts will tell you about how in just.
Speaker 4: A moment, Kay if I Am six forty elive everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: KFI AM six forty is Later with Mo Keli.
Speaker 4: We're live everywhere on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and the iHeartRadio app. And I just want to say shout out to pH Survivor on the YouTube Momigo's motown chat, very kind of you for the donations one was and I'm quoting pH Survivor. Respect to Mom's Moe's mom for keeping it real and who will cuss you out? If you didn't hear earlier in the show, was talking about how profane my mother is. And she's listening right now, so she's probably applauding and cussing up a storm as I say this, But yes, she will outcuss anyone you know, including you, Claudine, including my wife La Muhir, including anyone you know. There's no one who can outcuss her, And so people want her to come on the show so they can prove me right, you know.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, but thank you very much, pH Survivor.
Speaker 5: It's Cassine aloud on the radio.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: There are well, there are like seven words. You can't say a dirty word. Yeah that George Carlin will let you know. There are words like I can say. I can say ass, but I can't talk about what it does. Ah okay, Like you can be pissed off, but I can't got it opposite.
Speaker 3: Things like that.
Speaker 4: You know they're things and you know the sec you're not supposed to be gratuitous. I can't do it every single segment, but you know, I'd like to push the boundaries and mark He'll say something which will go right up to the line.
Speaker 3: Every now might it's your tongue.
Speaker 5: These guys here, they will all push it to the line. That's what I do know me personally, I just defer to your mom. If she's Queen Cusser, she can.
Speaker 3: Did you get a chance to meet her when you came out the house.
Speaker 5: I didn't. I didn't get a chance to meet her. When was she was?
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was in the kitchen. She was sitting next to the wall away from the kitchen.
Speaker 5: Was she one of the judges for the dessert cont No.
Speaker 4: She was not, Thank goodness, No she was not. But she did feed me all the desserts. Yes she did.
Speaker 5: She was very kind those desserts. I'm telling you chef's kiss.
Speaker 3: And now we're working off those desserts. Basically.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the plan.
Speaker 4: Your free community workouts each Saturday at the Hollywood Retail District or have that.
Speaker 5: Right, Hollywood Park Retail District in Inglewood, California on the SOFI Stadium campus. Best way to get there is to use Prairie and Century find the parking. Your parking is validated, The workout is free, and everybody who comes is very cool. No judgment, all shapes, all sizes, all levels, all ages.
Speaker 4: Yeh, yeah, absolutely you will see someone who either looks like you or who you're aspiring to be.
Speaker 3: Put it that way.
Speaker 4: And for those who have not been a part of the free community workouts, what are some of the things that you will put have people do or how you put them through their pace?
Speaker 5: Oh, you know, we just do like a little walk or a jog. So I always try to modify the workouts to meet people where they are. Everyone is at a different place in their fitness journey. So I wouldn't expect you to be able to do what a ten year old child can do. So a lot of times what I'll say is like to the younger kids, I'll say, Okay, you guys, run as fast as you can. Well, obviously, i'm fifty, I'm not going to run as fast as a ten year old. But I can jog or I can walk, and then we do things like squats and jumping jacks, all modified as needed. So really, body weight conditioning is my specialty. I've been working a lot in the plate space lately, which also incorporates a lot of body weight work as well.
Speaker 4: And if you're looking at the video, that doesn't even give it real justice. There are easily a good hundred people out there most Saturdays.
Speaker 5: And even more so now because we're wrapping up a summer series, which means that there's a block of classes that are held during the summer, and then we take a break and then we do a block of classes that are held in the fall. So if you want to come, the best time to come is between now and the end of July. There's going to be a big splash on July twenty sixth, which is Saturday, We're going to have some events, some free stuff, and that would be a great day for everybody to pull up. And it runs how long, it's only about forty five minutes. We use about fifteen minutes to socialize. Maybe go over to the farmer's market, check out the gym for people who have never been to that area. Inglewood has really developed and grown over the last let's say, what about five years.
Speaker 1: Or so.
Speaker 3: Very quickly.
Speaker 4: How can people get in touch with you and see more of what you're doing, be a part of what you're doing.
Speaker 5: Well. I'm always happy to respond to messages, but it's gotten to the point where I've gotten some crazy, kooky messages. So no, I don't know. I'm not sure what's going on.
Speaker 3: But your famous. Now I'm saying that. Look, I understand. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I never really wanted to be famous, mo. I just want to teach my workouts, my my own business, go raise my children, be married to my husband. You know, live a very simple life. But here I am on the show with you.
Speaker 4: You are a person of faith as I am, and sometimes sometimes what is for you is bigger than what you might have envision for yourself.
Speaker 5: And that is indeed a word and a sermon tonight, because I definitely did not envision half of what's going on in my life, and I'm very thankful. I'm very grateful. But you ask how people can reach me. My website is Claudinecooper dot com. I do respond to messages, but the ones that seem sane, I just.
Speaker 3: Tell them, you know, don't be an ass, you know, be respectful. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I always say, address me as you would if we were on the street. And if you don't have that modicum of respect, just put delete, don't even send a message.
Speaker 5: Something about that keyboard makes people very courageous.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and I'm not exactly sure why.
Speaker 5: Something we can explore next week.
Speaker 3: But you're saying. As far as contacting you, they can.
Speaker 5: Go to Claudinecooper dot com. There's a little message bar in there. You try to make it simple and everything everything.
Speaker 4: It's great seeing you has been more than a month, and hopefully it won't be a month until we see you again.
Speaker 5: I hope it won't. Plan to come back next Wednesday. If you'll have me, We'll always have you.
Speaker 4: This later with mo Kelly kfi Am six forty We're live everywhere on YouTube. You can see the show on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram. You can always listen to us anywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty