Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M. Six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: At my house about nine o'clock a couple good, like window shaking gusts of wind, and they were relatively calm throughout the night. We slept through the one of our windows open and we could hear it. It wasn't too bad. And then this morning, driving in coming over the New Hall Pass, the wind.
Speaker 3: Hit a couple of times.
Speaker 2: It was your windows open, windows, it's just one.
Speaker 4: All the way open or just a sliver.
Speaker 2: It was it opens this way and I hit it opened maybe about.
Speaker 4: Put the heater on it all at night. No, my god, that sounds cold.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, it's not that cold.
Speaker 2: I mean we have a shade drawn over the so it's not like it's just blowing directly into.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: Hey listen your parents, yes, right, better for you, absolutely, no. Ventilation is very key, especially when you're sleeping. But it woke me up this morning and everything was just blowing. The the sails in the back, the overhangings which is flaping like crazy, like the wind is here. My husband's like yeah.
Speaker 4: So it's just wind.
Speaker 2: It isn't It is weird weather though, because up over the San Gabriel all through the Angelus National Forest out to Big Bear and places like that, they're actually seeing snow this morning. I mean, the the what do you call the velocity of the wind has Usually when we get wind like this, at least in sort of October November, December, it doesn't come with clouds like this, right, And now that we've got these clouds that are coming down, there are places up in sort of Palm Dale Annimal Valley we're seeing some rainfall also chilly, chilly rainfall. So it is going to be a that that is good just in terms of decreasing the fire danger in those already fire prone areas.
Speaker 3: The rain, the precipitation is great. The wind is not.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: They are calling this destructive, life threatening. It is going to dramatically raise the risk of wildfires for the next several days.
Speaker 4: They say there is a.
Speaker 1: High confidence in strong offshore winds with the potential to be the strongest wind event of the season. As we reported yesterday, the valleys are the concern that two ten corridor from Silmar to Azusa. They're worried primarily about trees, branches, power lines down. If you live near the foothills and the mountains, be ready to go. I took some pictures of fire engines locally where they're already out. They're out of the garage, they're parked, ready to go, in the ready position, and that's how they kind of want everybody to be just in case.
Speaker 4: We'll stay on top of it.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk to the National Weather Service to find out what the peak times will be as we move forward, and as the forecast has adjusted in the past twenty four hours or so.
Speaker 2: Your point also about the fire crews being ready positioned, pre positioned. CalFire has prepositioned a bunch of Northern California assets and trucks and crews, etc. Down here, because up there nothing to worry about. They have had plenty of rain over the course of the last several weeks. We haven't had rain since May basically, so this is a particularly dangerous time. And as as you mentioned, we'll talk with the National Weather Service. Our friend Henry de Carlo is going to call us back. We're hoping to try to get Henry on as well, and he described listen here's a guy who's been doing this for a long time. He said, I don't think I've seen a pattern like this before, where in the morning you've got the clouds, the potential for rain, even some places with fog this morning, and then by the evening the chance for one hundred mile an hour gusts of wind.
Speaker 1: Well and up where I live against the foothills, they say that there's going to be those mountain waves, and you could feel it the way the wind just cascades down the mountain and then whosh right when it hits the flat land and it hits damn hard or as President Biden would say, g d hard.
Speaker 2: La Unified has relocated to Panga Elementary students to Woodland Hills Academy in San Fernando Valley. Topanga is going to be closed between Mulholland and pch from about ten o'clock this morning through Friday through six o'clock Friday night.
Speaker 3: Now we saw this when the Franklin fire started.
Speaker 2: The Topanga had been closed and that's kind of where the fire started, was on the West Way other on the western side of Topanga. So this is another precaution that we've seen in the last couple of years where they will shut down Topanga except for you know, local traffic and business and stuff like that. But if you're there, if you're headed that, if you use that to get up and over that hill towards towards Malibu, you're going to be in trouble.
Speaker 1: Did you know that Greenland is bigger than Mexico but has the population of Carson City, Carson City, Nevada, fifty six thousand people.
Speaker 2: We will be talking about, Oh, Henry's going to you want to do him next?
Speaker 3: Is he available? Let's do it? Yeah, let's get the Hank.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we can call him Hank. Do we have that kind of Henry cred? We could ask him. We'll have to check some guys. It's interchangeable, you know. But I don't know about Henry. But he might have a problem.
Speaker 4: He might It might be a strong family if he.
Speaker 3: Has any nicknames. Also, it's going on right now.
Speaker 2: President elect Trump is holding a news conference down at mar A.
Speaker 5: Large doubt about it, and we're going to find out. But Ashley Babbitt was killed. She was shot, should have never been shot. She was shot for no reason whatsoever.
Speaker 4: He's dying on this Chane that she was trying.
Speaker 5: To hold back the crowd, and the crowd he kind of.
Speaker 1: Mentioned that Hesblah was involved in and then said that there will be major pardons.
Speaker 2: He said he was asked, would would you pardon those accused of and found guilty of violent offenses and he said, well, we have to figure out what it is. And he talked about the potential involvement of FBI agents which has been disproven there were FBI informants in the crowd, and then said that Hezbollah might have been there.
Speaker 3: So we'll see, we'll talk about that. We'll try to get Henry.
Speaker 2: We got a bunch going on today, a bunch, but it's almost like the big twelve o'clock.
Speaker 3: Hour is every hour.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what, you're not wrong.
Speaker 3: It's a good thing. You worry r S kick and boots today I did.
Speaker 4: These are my Santa boots because S needs to be kicked, my black Santa boots.
Speaker 1: What happens is when he comes to my house, he leaves me these boots and then he puts on his birken stocks and continues on the way.
Speaker 3: I don't like that. What are you talking about? I don't like that.
Speaker 2: He kicks his shoes off at your house. I like that he's comfortable, little elfin feet with the elf and ToeJam in there. Obviously, big story today through the next couple of days is going to be the extreme winds that we're expecting here in Southern California.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, it is KTLA's Henry de Carlo, the voice of Southern California Weather, the face of Southern California Weather, and our friend, Henry de Carlo. Henry, good morning. Gary called you Hank earlier. Is that acceptable or no?
Speaker 6: Completely acceptable? Many people of my close friends call me Hank. So you're in good company, Gary, No problem at all. Yes, So this did well.
Speaker 1: This looks Henry like like, it's not like crying wolf. This looks like a major wind event that we should absolutely be paying attention to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a tough one, you know. I always when we talk about these, Sorry, I'm going to turn down my air conditioners so you can. I'm driving. It's a little loud. I apologize, you know, whenever I go on TV and we're talking about whether it's rain or storms, I always try to be really cautious because we don't want people to get alarmed, and I don't want to build something up just for the sake of building it up for TV ratings from television stations usually often want.
Speaker 4: You to do.
Speaker 6: But this is one of those that definitely looks like it has all the ingredients to be a major player for us. So, you know, I try to explain things simply to people and just say, you know, when we look at weather, I look at it almost like a like a recipe, and if we put all of these ingredients together, this is how it will come out. And as we're looking at the way things are setting up, everything is setting up to where the winds are going to be extremely strong, and it's going to be could be the strongest winds that we've had in years. Some of the computer models saying eighty ninety miles per hour winds. Now that gets people obviously really alarmed. But you know, I think you those fifty sixty miles per hour winds, especially with fire concerns and power outages, I mean, this is this could be a really tough wind event, especially when we get to tonight, overnight, tonight through tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Knowing that this was coming this morning when I got up, I was surprised to see as many clouds as I did this morning, and they're still I mean, we're looking out sort of to the east over the San Gabriel Mountains and we can see plenty of clouds up there.
Speaker 3: Despite the fact that the winds are so strong.
Speaker 6: It really is a weird day. There's so much going on. We actually had some decent dusting of snow up in the mountains, and we had some rain up in the foothills. You know, it's actually part of what's going to create the stronger winds. When we get cold air and warm air together, that create and we get high pressure low pressure. It's what we call it pressure gradient, so the stronger the two systems. So we have this area of low pressure that's passing to the east and it's wrapping around a little cloud coverage, so it's not coming in typically what we would get west to east, where it might be something coming off the coast. This is actually coming from the north. So basically that's part of the reason for the setup for the strong winds. We have this really cold pocket of air that's right just off towards the east of us, east of the mountains, kind of clipping the mountains and then we've had generally mild, warmer air, and it's those two systems that are together. It's that cold air that's just slamming through and that's what's bringing the clouds and the you know, partial rain and a little bit of snow up in the mountains, and it's just creating what we call a strong offshore, offshore wind event. And it really is, you know, part part of the reason why we're going to see such strong winds. And that's one of the reasons why I feel like the winds may end up being as big as forecasted. Because even the threat of rain for today that we had yesterday was very slight. We actually did get rain and some snow up in the mountains. So that tells us that colder pocket of air is here, and that's just one of the components that could create some really strong, dangerous winds, especially overnight tonight through tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was reading about those mountain waves. If it's coming from the north and the east, I guess that's why they're most worried about that two ten corridor from Azusa to Silmar there up against the mountains.
Speaker 6: Right because wend you know, we can get strong winds all the time, but when they come out of the northeast, that's really when we start talking about sant Ana conditions. And it's the way that it moves through our mountain mountains and then down through the canyons and the passes, and we call it compressional heating. When we kind of squeeze all that air through all those passes, it warms up and it and it also creates intensity of the wind. So if it was more of a northerly flow, it just kind of be a chilly, windy day. But it's out of the northeast. So when it comes out of the east like that, it dries out the air, so it starts this cold moist there and it becomes dry, so we still have the you know, cool component to it, but we just strip it of all the moistures. So now we get into the fire concerns because it's not just wind, but we're no you know, the humidity is so low, so it's all about the orientation. And that's said, it's just one of those kind of weird things that we get occasionally with Santa Anas when we bring in some clouds and the weather stays a little bit cool. Usually we generally think of sunny and warm and warm up, but this is this is a little bit different makeup, but the results are going to be really strong winds.
Speaker 4: Henri Dea Carla.
Speaker 1: Smartest meteorologists you're gonna find, not just a pretty face.
Speaker 6: Gary.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Henk, Well.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it anytime. You know, it's always hard trying to explain these things. Well really, my wife always says, you know, forget all that stuff. Just tell me how Wendy's it going to be? And what can I wear today? So Wendy today, but you can still wear shorts if you want to.
Speaker 3: Excellent, Henrita Carlo, thank you very much.
Speaker 6: You're welcome. Thanks Gary, Thanks.
Speaker 2: You're Katla meteorologist Henry Carlat we're up here, you know, on the fourth floor where.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what did you see?
Speaker 2: There were there were leaves that were blowing up here. Yeah, from I mean past our wink.
Speaker 1: That's all I was saying. It was like that game concentration. It was wild with them in the air. There has been this idea floated that Trump has his interests set on Greenland. It's kind of been a funny ha ha, except for now Trump at mar a Lago as he's doing one of his free willing press advance availabilities, says he will not rule out the use of military for to seize control of Greenland and the Panama Canal.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, guys, buckle up.
Speaker 3: I love this term. We mentioned it eight years ago.
Speaker 6: This.
Speaker 2: Some people take him seriously but not figuratively. Other people take him figuratively but not seriously, or literally but not seriously, seriously but not literally. And it's it's the weirdest mental game to play while listening to him, because one of the things that I was going to credit him for doing was staying quiet since the election.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's been quiet, but that is not his name.
Speaker 2: Or two of these news conferences, and I don't know who it is that was able to get him keep him out of the spotlight all of this time. Is it Susie Wiles, the new the new chief of staff, I don't know. But but when and then he goes back in front of the podium and just goes right back to what you would expect from the guy, right, I mean, it's the same, it's the bombbast it's this he did well. Okay, the breaking news about Donald Trump is that the judge in the Florida Documents case, Judge Aileen Cannon, blocked the Justice Department from releasing what was going to be a report on the two prosecutions, the one the Florida Documents case, but also the election interference case, the ones that are being handled by Jack Smith, or i should say were being handled by Jack Smith. She was asked by a couple of code defendants in the Florida Documents case to block the release of both sections of the report. It's not clear yet exactly what kind of an impact she's going to have on this, because there was a prior ruling that from her that tossed the whole case that they are still appealing before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Trump has also, at least his legal team has also specifically asked Merrick Garland, Orney General, to block Jack Smith from releasing this report. They've had an opportunity to read it, and they say it's all one sided.
Speaker 3: It's all, you know.
Speaker 2: The true proof that this was a concerted attempt to weaponize the Justice Department, and on and on and on, and that's why they don't want this thing report, or they don't want this report released.
Speaker 3: They believe that it would be imminent, so it would.
Speaker 2: Take place probably before the inauguration. And their argument is the only reason they would release it is before the inauguration is for political damage because they know that Trump would never allow it once he becomes president.
Speaker 1: Back to this entertaining game of risk. He has talked about getting control of the Panama Canal and Greenland.
Speaker 4: He was asked about that today, would you.
Speaker 1: Would say, though, you wouldn't use the military to do that, right?
Speaker 4: And he said, wait.
Speaker 2: Let me slow that down. Wait, you want to use the military right.
Speaker 1: To seize control of Greenland in the Panama Canal And he said, I'm not going to commit to that. He said, it might be that you'll have to do something. He went on to say the Panama Canal is vital to our country and we need Greenland for a national security purposes. Now, he has also floated the idea of having Canada joined the United States, right, but kind of backed off the idea of using the military to seize Canada because he would rely on in his words, economic.
Speaker 2: Force, economic force, and basically he was suggesting that he doesn't need Canada needs us more than we need Canada. And that if this becomes an issue this Canada, I don't know, becoming part of the United States, if it becomes an issue in their upcoming election, because we know Justin Trudeau was out that unless the Conservative Party leader in Canada agrees to that, he's probably going to.
Speaker 3: Lose the election, is what Trump said today.
Speaker 2: He also he mentioned, of course, the big decision from yesterday, the Biden administration putting off limits hundreds of millions of acres of offshore drilling for oil and gas.
Speaker 5: President Biden's actions yesterday.
Speaker 7: On offshore drilling, banning offshore drilling will not stand.
Speaker 5: I will reverse it immediately. It'll be done immediately, and we will drill, baby drill. We're going to be drilling in a lot of other locations and the energy costs are going to come way down.
Speaker 2: He also talked about, and this is referencing the breaking news that Judge Aleen Cannon has blocked the release of the Jack Smith report, saying Jack Smith is a super nasty guy.
Speaker 7: They brought this moron out of the Hague.
Speaker 6: He's a mean guy.
Speaker 5: He's a mean, nasty guy.
Speaker 7: His picture was perfect because you look at his picture, you say, that's a bad guy with his robe, his pope purple robe, and he executes people. He shouldn't be allowed to execute people, because he'll execute everybody.
Speaker 5: He's a nutsyet.
Speaker 1: My god.
Speaker 2: They are alerting more than four hundred thousand customers that they could see some outages over the next couple of days because of them, because of the wind.
Speaker 1: Walter White's home is up for sale in New Mexico. Of course, the home featured in Breaking Bad is in Albuquerque. It's on the market for just under four million dollars. The owner of the home recently said to a local TV station that the fans visits soon became too much to deal with, and that the recent passing of her parents led to the decision to list the home. No meth included four million dollars in Albuquerque.
Speaker 2: I after we watched Friday Night Lights, the great TV series my wife and I and the movie, of course, my wife and I went and saw the homes where they and the locations in and around Austin where they filmed most of Friday Night Lights.
Speaker 3: And that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: But we didn't go like, we didn't stop, we didn't move there. We did go to the teacher, but I just the idea that like you'd buy it or you'd annoy people.
Speaker 1: Like he is this you would have, I mean I for four million dollars, you would have to turn it into a tourist destination kind of zone.
Speaker 4: If the zoning would help, would allow.
Speaker 3: You to hear that you could do an airbnb.
Speaker 1: I mean you got to throw in some myth, don't you, or some myth making stuff, or you just pretend like like a like a like the.
Speaker 2: Old rock Candy play school myth set.
Speaker 3: Do they do they do that? Do they make those?
Speaker 4: They don't now, but they could.
Speaker 2: I have a question. I have a statement and then a question. No, I have a story, a statement and then a question. Wow, okay, story is just quick. That there was an earthquake in Tibet death all over one hundred, one hundred and over one hundred I've seen different numbers, but over one hundred definitely.
Speaker 3: And this is in an area that's it's like Chinese proper.
Speaker 2: What's someone I'm gonna try to say within the Chinese borders, but also Nepal and parts of India have been hit by this earthquake.
Speaker 3: That was the news.
Speaker 2: The statement was Golden globes saw a seven percent increase year to year in ratings, which is good. That means that Nikki Glazer is probably going to be coming back. But what I was surprised that I don't remember this from last year was when Joe Koy hosted last year. That was a fifty percent increase from the previous year. Really from the NBC broadcast from twenty three. And then the Chargers assigned Ezekiel Elliott, Yeah to.
Speaker 1: The practice squad. Here's the thing. Gus Edwards, who's that big back. He has been injured, so so you just have JK. Dobbins who's coming off an ankle injury. He just came back a couple games ago after missing four games. This is a guy who had season ending achilles surgery last season. After Week one he's torn his MCL, his ACL. He is a great comeback player. But he's been running hard, he's been running violently and he's wonderful. But if he gets injured and he's not willing to go, they are s out of luck at running back.
Speaker 4: So Ezekiel Elie can't back there.
Speaker 1: No, So Ezekiel Elliott, he asked the Dallas Cowboys, hey let me go last week. So they let him go and he was able to sign on to a playoff team in the Chargers. Here's the thing, he's got five days to get up to speed. He's we're playing in Houston, so that's good. But likely he'll come out here and try to get Greg Roman's playbook and just learn it and be ready to go and be active on game day. We'll see what happens nine I think right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, obviously his prime years are behind him.
Speaker 1: Jerry Jones likes to form his teams around the best players of a decade ago. But still it's it's a big back, you know, still low to the ground, but a big back that that will be the number two guy. You take the run game out of the Chargers offense and you're screwed. We've seen what happens. As soon as JK came back. They were a different offense. You know, they've scored one hundred and eight points in the past four weeks. You didn't see that kind of production when JK wasn't there. See, he's got me starting.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I shouldn't have its time for terror in these guys.
Speaker 1: Like you Zero Nier, you're player for day off.
Speaker 6: Roger get off my plane, Roger Rogers, what's our victor?
Speaker 5: Victor?
Speaker 4: Enough is enough?
Speaker 6: I haven't read it.
Speaker 3: With these multi pike snakes on this.
Speaker 1: Money, it's Gary and Shannon's.
Speaker 3: Terror in the skies.
Speaker 2: On K five, Jeff Blue had a very disturbing statement this morning. They found a couple of dead people in the wheel well of a Jet Blue airplane.
Speaker 3: This was JFK to Fort Lauderdale.
Speaker 1: And we've seen this before when people try to sneak onto flights using that wheel well. The way to do it was that woman who was able to get on board several planes, remember, out of Lax several times.
Speaker 3: She went through the door. She went through the door.
Speaker 4: That is still a mystery of how that was able to happen.
Speaker 1: But anyway, yeah, unfortunately it's not a good passage.
Speaker 4: It's not a good passage the wheel wells.
Speaker 2: It's also important to point out that according to law enforcement, well, okay, so this plane lands most recently, it went from JFK to Fort Lauderdale. Landed last night about eleven o'clock at Fort Lauderdale. Time Gate Tech in the landing gear area noticed a couple of males who appeared to be Signal seven, which is their term for dead, and that was only about fifteen minutes after the plane had landed. County M's office performed autopsies or will perform autopsies to determine the cause of death. But they said both bodies were badly decomposed. And I don't know. My initial reading of that makes it sound like.
Speaker 6: While.
Speaker 1: But what does the cold air at thirty thousand feet doe to a body.
Speaker 3: Nothing, I mean, it would preserve it.
Speaker 2: But the thing is they're being thawed and frozen and thawed and frozen.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that'll do it. I've done that to a piece of meat before. Yeah, and it's not good now.
Speaker 4: The smell.
Speaker 2: The other The reason I bring that up is because, yes, when you read that statement, the assumption is they've been there a while. But the other thing is maybe there was just damage and the decomposition doesn't as.
Speaker 1: Well say damaged, they'd mutilated or whatever. They wouldn't say decomposed. That makes it sound like they were there for a while, right.
Speaker 3: The A three twenty was in service.
Speaker 2: It was an airbus plane nearly all day yesterday, took off from Kingston, Jamaica in the morning, arrived in New York went to Salt Lake City, flew back to JFK, and then went down to Fort Lauderdale.
Speaker 6: So that.
Speaker 3: Even if they they were there all day.
Speaker 2: That again, that's the freeze and thaw over and over again in just one day.
Speaker 3: That can't be good.
Speaker 2: No, two weeks ago, they found a body in the wheel bay of a United Airlines flight from Chicago all the way to Malley.
Speaker 1: Speaking of freezing and thawing. An update on our Greenland acquisition, Donald Trump has told people of Greenland were going to treat you well.
Speaker 3: All that's good.
Speaker 2: Maybe we get an exhibition NFL game up in Greenland.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, there are no roads in Greenland. You know that, right, So they only they only use like snowmobiles and other snows vis snow vehicles. I don't even know about to get around in planes. No vehicles, don't I don't even know about. Greenland's government, by the way, says that Donald Trump Junior's visit today is a private one, it's not an official government visit. And DENMARKUS said that Greenland is not for sale. But we'll stay on the developments right here on the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: More when we come back after this you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio Lab