Speaker 1: I feel like I'm in like South Beach Sean this set of scarface back in the nineteen eighties. We're doing eighties one hit wonders for the next hour because Chris camaradis live in studio. All right, this was your choice. Take us through, Take us through the process.
Speaker 2: Well, like this song, I'm a one hit wonder as well, you are not. Don't say that it Vice City by city. This is what it's I mean like that. This is the first time it really came on to my radar. Okayack when I used to play video games twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: So like Grand Theft Auto, Vice City, it does have a little scarface for South beach Field early eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seems like the vibes were probably high back then. Well you'll see what I did there.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, The vibes were very high. I didn't mean it. I didn't mean to interrupt you. It may have been the cocaine. But since we're in the space and this is what we do every time you join us, that's okay, since we're not in the cocaine space, okay, but since we're in this space. Best gangster movie of all time?
Speaker 2: Oh, good Fellas, Good Fellas, mostly watchable for me? Is Good Fellas? Godfather too? Up there?
Speaker 1: Do we have to say Departed? For John Paul?
Speaker 2: We can Casino's really up there?
Speaker 1: Casino?
Speaker 2: We have to say casino for John Paul. Yes, because of his place. He gets the chicken palm.
Speaker 1: Yes he does, Yes he does. I'm making the Italian hand gesture. Now. John Paul used to before we do the show, he would get up at like eight and watch Departed. Because you work in the afternoon, at night you have games, he would like watch three or four hour movies like in the morning.
Speaker 2: It's getting into character.
Speaker 1: That's a weird habit man Untouchables, Kevin Costner.
Speaker 2: It's good. Sean Connery was good.
Speaker 1: Yell of the men. Now, j'ell what's the what's the scarface take?
Speaker 2: It was good, I mean it was. It was cool to like when you were a teenager, young adult. It's still good. I mean, Gino's awesome. Michelle Pfiffer's awesome. A ridiculous storyline, but to me, it's gotta be Goodfellas. Like the Wonder shots for John Paul, like the soundtrack, the the Raliota voiceovers, all of it is just for John Paul.
Speaker 1: It is so Rolling Stones list Number one Godfather Part two, number two, Good Fellas, number three, The Godfather, the Original, Number four, Once upon a Time in America, which I've never seen. Number five Public Enemy, shout out classic gangster movie. Number six. Eastern promises. Number seven City of God. Have you ever seen a phenomenal move? If you've never seen that one? City of God is.
Speaker 2: Worth when it was a sundance like in two thousand and three or four Rip Sundance. Eastern promises, also very good, Vigo Mortensen playing the most yoked, scary, tatted Russian mob hit man. And you would just do this to people. Okay, that means like lights out?
Speaker 1: I do I do know what that means. I've never seen it. Boys in the hood under are.
Speaker 2: We talking about mob movies or like organized crime?
Speaker 1: Good line of delineation. This is the Rolling Stones list of the best gangster movies. Departed is at fifteen. Can I offer up Snatch brow Yeah, absolutely liked eggs. Sure, what's what's up with those sausages? Five minutes? It was five minutes ten minutes ago, Guy Ritchie phenomenal. Obviously Lockstock too, smoking barrels guys movie before Snatch? Uh, you know what, I was gonna ask you to come up with a trivia question to give away golf. Do you want to just ask for somebody's favorite gangster movie? Yeah, Porter, what's your all of gangster gangster movies, mob movies, whatever the definition definition is, do you have a favorite?
Speaker 3: That's a that is a hard one. I mean I lean towards when you're talking like gangster mob. I lean towards like the Wild West movies. That's organized crime. It's yeah, down that lane. But I might have to go with uh, I might have to go with the Godfather as well as if we're going down the kind of the mob gangster route.
Speaker 1: All right, so eight seven seven three five three zero seven hundred text in your favorite mob movie, your favorite gangster movie, and the reward today, Chris, this is not intentional, but it's ironic. We are giving away a free round of golf to Wassatch Mountain State Park, which course, though it does not say and that's a good question, we need to get a clarifier. Both of them are awesome. Though a Porter's saying the mountain course.
Speaker 2: Okay, then I'm definitely okay. People better get their answers in quick. We all. We love the mountain course.
Speaker 1: We love the mountain course.
Speaker 2: I mean, no offense. The late course is great. Yeah, yeah, the mountain course is where it really happens. I got to get up there.
Speaker 1: That is one of the that is God's country up there and the site of the original trave Okay, so let's be clear. Wasast Hatch State Park holds a soft spout to all of us?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: So eight seven seven three five three zero seven hundred, your favorite mob movie, your favorite gangster movie, and then maybe make Porter laugh because he's the one that's gonna choose. Shout out to Trav, the original Trav. How do you feel about Sundance leaving our market? By the way, since you brought it.
Speaker 2: Up, bummer man. For a state and a governing body that is obsessed with toting the the financial successes, I believe the governor last week at the Miller unveiling was bragging about the state's GDP.
Speaker 1: The EBITA correct for finance bros out there.
Speaker 2: The fact the fact that we've lost outdoor Retailer and Sundance in like a five year span not ideal, not ideal. And I understand that there are growth in other places, you know, the Silicon Slopes. People are elated over it, and we're having more lego apartment buildings popping up left and right. But Sundance, man, you needed a little bit of a curveball, You needed a slider to what is very paramount at this state and the culture, and we're losing it to arguably not arguably, I can say this a cooler place, boulders cooler, a little more travel for folks who are going, you know, Denver Internationals forty five minutes. It's not as easy to get to Park City. But yeah, you can take an l We're taking ls a lot lately.
Speaker 1: Spence losing Sundance but gaining more trucks than Tesla's. Is that what it comes down to? More trucks and Tesla's less Sundance Film Festival or Tesla trucks or Tesla trucks. Good call. There are conversations about a replacement festival coming, maybe a little Forrest Gump, maybe a little Avatar. We're just gonna do Avatar, bro all right, inside joke. I do have to do the read giving away golf as we're doing every day. It's our Festival of the Teas ESPN Festival of tas powered by the Utah Golf Association each day of spring ESPN seven hundreds giving away rounds of golf from the best courses in the state. Listen to the Down and Dirty with Scott Mitchell the Sean O'Connell Show from eleven to two. In this little program, the drive was spent. Check as from two to six for your chance to win each day from ESPN seven hundred and the Utah Golf Association. Details can be found on ESPN seven hund sport dot com. All Right, ceks with us for an hour so we'll save some college football some transfer portal. You guys are mad at each other online. We'll get to that coming up in the four o'clock hour. But while we're here, with about ten fifteen minutes in this segment, let's do a little RSL. John Kimball, the president of the club, hopped on the program yesterday to break the news that the diego in a red card has been rescinded, and John asked, like as I brought him in, has this ever happened in the history of pro sports before? And I can't necessarily answer that emphatically, but I will say this my entire life around pro sports, working in it, being around it. The typical situation not to go Dave Matthews Honyo on a Wednesday. But typically the leagues want to protect their officials and they want to protect their processes, and they want to protect, you know, any and deflect quite frankly, any criticism comes away to the refs outside of like a Tim donaghey situation with the NBA when David Saron wanted that dude swimming with the fishes. So this does not happen very often. Now in real time, Chris, when I'm watching the game and I just see kind of out out of the corner of my eye Diego standing over the player, it looked bad in real time, I'm like, did he kick him? And is he kind of rubbing it in? And then when you see the replay and you're like, dude, he didn't even touch him. That's not even a yellow. But this is pretty rare that this happens. So RSL they go through the appeals process and it actually was approved and the red card was rescinded, was not even awarded a yellow, and he'll be playing on the weekend against San Diego. What'd you make of this?
Speaker 2: I think Kurt was on your show a couple of weeks ago and he said that he's not a fan of VAR. Correct Kurt Schmidt, RSL Technical Director, And I disagree with that sentiment, but now I kind of see where he's coming from. Like, if the point is to get it right, and you're going to stop the game, you're going to slow everybody down, You're going to wait for somebody from another state to patch into your headset and say go check it out, and then to waste more time and then to still get it wrong. Yikes, man. And this is not specific to MLS. I mean we've seen vargo wrong at big levels over in Europe. We've seen it go wrong in the World Cup. It is it is a byproduct of human air, which I'm always going to be a proponent of. It is the reality of it. But you can have human air without VAR. You can't have human err with VAR, because otherwise either you're incompetent or you're just doubling down and you are refusing to correct a wrong. I think it was hard to slow down because Luna moved so quick and got his leg out of that scissor hold so fast that it could have looked like he stomped him while he was getting his feet out. I agree, but as they showed replay over and over, once his foot was cleared, he didn't step on him. So to your point, it shouldn't have been a yellow card. It should have been play on. It should have been hey, you guys, come talk to me. Let's keep it cool, let's move on, and you know, play on. I don't know if Diego being involved in the last twenty nine to thirty minutes of that match changes the outcome. I think Garcel ended up about shooting him, like twenty four to two. That's another topic that I'm sure we'll get to, but it's I mean, the league did the right thing. Like you can't protect mistakes at that level, especially considering red cards aren't only the ejection from the current game, but an ensuing suspension from the following.
Speaker 1: It's very punitive. I mean, I could remember before I even knew anything about soccer at all, because, as I've told you before, prior to bringing the club here in two thousand and four, I maybe a World Cup here there I never watched, and I was very much anti anti soccer. I told you the story when my father flew into town and said, I want to take you lunch. And we went to lunch and he said, here's my idea. I want to bring soccer to salt that I'm like, what are you doing? What a bad idea? I mean, I told him not to do it. He was right, I was wrong, of course, that's how it goes. But when I first heard about what a red card was, I'm like, wait a second, he sits the rest of this match and he can't play the next game, Like they don't do that in the NFL or the NBA. You get ejected and you have to sit the next game.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, it is sure if you're talking a blanket statement. Soccer it is different from other sports. Yeah, and yes there are levels. I mean, if you run our test a fan, you're gonna miss some time. But if you just get ejected for arguing with a ref or a hard flagrant foul, unless it's really egregious, you're rarely suspended in soccer, are red means you're out the next game. And Christopher, a team that's hemorrhaging points, losing their best player in Diego Luna, even you know, just for one game, felt pretty harsh. So were you surprised that the league did this?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what I was. I was very.
Speaker 2: Surprised surprised it. I don't know if there was precedent for it. I feel like in the NBA there have been times where they've rescinded technical fouls that end up accumulating in a suspension.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, that's true. They did to Luca I think last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's very rare. I understand the league's desire to protect its referees. But again, I think if I think the fact that they went to var and they and then the referee still went with the red card, I think that was even that much more damning.
Speaker 1: So for a team that at this point has three wins through nine games, I don't really have the stomach for it. It's all the ref's fault. However, I will present this to you Peel's read at home against Dallas.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: We talked about that the week after it happened. Uh. That felt a little harsh based off of the entire flow of the actual play, where the Dallas player probably should have been called for a foul before that. The PK in that game was a bad call against Dallas. Muktar from Nashville, No big deal. I've got MLS knowledge, clearly initial hated.
Speaker 2: But I got you. Really Yeah, but Muktar is on Nashville.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, no, Muktar drew the penalty.
Speaker 2: Oh, Muktar drew the penalty. Yes, I thought you were talking about the elbow to Mark Soup.
Speaker 1: I was getting there now. Now I'm glad you said that because I didn't know the dude's name, but that clearly was a red. He hit Don with the elbow. Then Muktar initiates the contact against Nelson and falls PK. There there is and look, we don't really hear from players in that post media scrum at America First Field, and Alex Katron has had some things to say. So while I'm not going to lay their lack of results at the feet of the officials, if I'm with the club right now, I'm feeling a little bit hard done.
Speaker 2: You are, and I think you're feeling hard done because of the current form you're in. I think if you're sprinkling in some draws and a win, if you have some semblance of peaks and valleys, I think it's a little easier to stomach but right now you are very much existing in a valley and the season so long. Man, I want to say that it will eventually even itself out. I just think there has been This is just compounding on top of the way too early Conker Calf Champions Cup exit to a team that you should have beat, the fact that they seems like they fail to upgrade the roster necessarily in the in the spring transfer window, and they're just not a very good team right now, and they're not playing an attractive style of soccer. They are good from one box to another, they're really good. But once you're once oursel is tasked with defending, either in emergency scenarios or in real time, not great. And once they get into the opponent's final third, yikes, man, I mean, like is it is dire straits and I don't know if there's going to be a solution on the horizon.
Speaker 1: All right, so excuse me. We will now move over to the primary transfer window that closes today. So essentially you just have to have some paperwork across the final you know, the final dotted line in order to add pieces. You don't actually have to announce everything today, So maybe we'll hear some things that we have not heard so far. But we will talk about the player that, according to our guy Tom Bogert, RSL has added a player. Then we'll talk about the player that they're not going to add. So we'll move on now to William Is it Agatta?
Speaker 2: Nailed it?
Speaker 1: I was afraid that g might be silent. You never know. I call him Willie, no big deal, twenty five years old. He is a striker. He comes to RSL from Sporting KC. Let's see, has he played much this year? Doesn't look like he's played a ton this year. I don't know anything about him. What do you know about the player that RSL has According to Tom, this is the player that they're bringing in.
Speaker 2: A band aid? Safe to say, I mean, this is a what was your guy who ended up in Brazil? Elias Manuel?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Elias Dawel same okay, same type thing, gotcha.
Speaker 2: This is a band aid if there ever was a band aid. It is a guy who scored goals for some of the worst Sporting Kansas City teams in recent memory. And they needed to do something. But clearly they had a plan B after your guy who will never get to see the number nine shirt Robert Bosanique. After that transfer apparently has fallen through in epic fashion.
Speaker 1: So Willie, our guy, our new RSLUS stats this year he has played in six games with one start, ninety six minutes, played five as a sub, with zero goals and zero assists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there we go.
Speaker 1: Yep, looks like he has six career goals for Sporting casey if I'm reading this correctly.
Speaker 2: No, I think he's somewhere around like twenty ish twenty three.
Speaker 1: He had six last year. There you go, my bad. All right, So twenty five year old striker on the way, Williegatta my guy, Willie. So to your point, let's move over now to the player that was announced that had agreed to terms. But now this deal is off. So as of yesterday, and I talked to John about this, I talked to you about this last week, the reports where RSL was bringing in Bosnik Bosaniqu excuse me from this Portuguese club that apparently is not necessarily operated at the highest level with business acumen. So the deal is off. According to Tom, and Robert was here toward the facilities past as physical, past as physical. They apparently had agreed to terms. They were just waiting for the signature of the dotted line. Educate us a little bit. What's the deal with his club that apparently is really tough to do business with?
Speaker 2: Well, boa Vista for the MLS Sikos is a club that originally signed a young talented outside back named Reggie Cannon from FC Dallas, rose through the American ranks, and proceeded to not pay Reggie his wages while he was over there, And there have been multiple reports of Boa Vista not paying transfer fees for players and just basically is a club that you shouldn't try to get into business with in the first place. And I think that's the thirty thousand view point of this spence is, like, clearly RSL got desperate enough to find a player that they liked at a price point that meant what they were currently shopping at, and unfortunately it seemed to be at a club that has very difficult financial situations. I think Tom reported at some point in the last couple of weeks that like they forgot to pay their electrical bill at their training facility. I'm not kidding, So, like, listen, this was a this is a byproduct of not being able to secure a transformational player when you need one. This is something that should have probably been tackled in the winter time, or at least had a head start. And I note there is a multitude of layers to this conversation. This isn't on any one person. I think this is a byproduct of having your star player decide he needed to go in the blink of an eye, having the pseudo band aid replacement decide he wanted to go to Brazil. You're coming up against a transfer window that didn't go your way, you have ownership change floating overhead. But Robert Bosanique is not the type of player you need to necessarily break the bank for. Like he is a guy that, by all accounts, was going to come in for anywhere from like two to three million dollars. And he's, you know, a young guy get some caps for the Slovakian national team, but hasn't scored a ton of goals. And this is what I've been telling you, Like RCEL, if they're going to kind of rediscover the the flare and the style and the success that they had last year, they have to go out and find somebody and pay a lot of money in order to get them to come here and want to be the tip of the spear. But Bosanique isn't the guy that you should necessarily overpay for. I've been told that Boa Vista's executives changed the terms last minute. Tom reported the same thing, So like, what are they like? Why? I get that you're up against it the eleventh hour, but I think this is a learning lesson for everybody involved that you got to figure out who you're dealing with and who you're getting into business with when you're up against you know, such a tight window.
Speaker 1: Let me clean this up a little bit. So William again, I call him Willie, Willie Goles? Willy? Is that why they call him Willie?
Speaker 2: That's what you're going to call him?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Who was the who was that?
Speaker 2: Who was? Oh?
Speaker 1: Is Johnny Menendez? When Trey was like, we're going to Johnny Goles and he literally scored a goal, so I started and call him Johnny Gole and that best tray off because then they had to get rid of him. Uh So, so Willi Goles, you know what, We'll roll with it.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 1: His career in Sporting Kansas City last year was his best year. He played thirty two games, started twenty had ten goals three assists. For his career four years in Kansas City twenty one goals, five assists, sixty four games played, thirty eight starts. So it appears that he's more of like a is there an Anderson Julio parallel, like a fast dude that comes in off the bench.
Speaker 2: I haven't watched that much of Willy goals, to be honest with you, but he strikes me as the type of player that probably had an Anderson type role at Sporting Kansas.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I'm smiling because we're calling him Willi goles. He hasn't scored this year. It's like when everybody called Royce O'Neil buckets, Well that was his Twitter handle, Yeah, but he couldn't shoot.
Speaker 2: Self anointed a little better, yeah, but he.
Speaker 1: Still couldn't shoot. It was Royce. It was like bucket bucket, O'Neil Johnny Gole speaking of excuse me, Willie goals. But speaking of Johnny, let's move over to the other rumor, Johnny Russell, who looks like he enjoys himself a pint. He's a Scottish player who played at Derby County and then played at Sporting Kansas City, let's see, for about six years, but has not played. He's been without a club this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was one of their best players for a long time. Okay. He was there while they were still pretty good, and then he was there when they got pretty bad.
Speaker 1: Okay. So according to Tom RSLs and talks to bring in Johnny Russell, thirty.
Speaker 2: Five year old guy, left footed winger, once upon a time was one of the best wingers in the league. Looks like he can enjoy a pint.
Speaker 1: He's a scott He's a Scottish.
Speaker 2: I've been seeing what kind of form or fitness level Johnny Russell is currently in. But when you haven't played for a while, maybe he needs to get into the gym.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I looking at this window, this team clearly needs some leaders, some voices in the locker room, because watching this team, it's like watching a bunch of passengers. Man Like, nobody wants to take the game by the scruff of the next way to describe it does sometimes, But I think if you're the opposition, you do your best to just try to take him out of it tactically, and then other than that, who is going to impose, who's gonna impose themselves? Who's going to and still fear in the opposing defense like half a cabral It's been great. But like there's a reason why a lot of people don't give goalkeepers the armband because they're so oftentimes sixty yards away. Like you need somebody in the thick of things. And I'm not saying you need a a Kyle Beckerman type personality or.
Speaker 1: A happy birthday to the captain. By the way, Kyle's birthday today?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 2: How old is Kyle now? I think he's a little bit older than me. I's the thirty thirty nine.
Speaker 1: Probably he's probably looking at forty. I don't know if he's on it, he's probably looking at it.
Speaker 2: You don't you don't need a Kyle, you don't. I mean you need a bunch of like grab a voice, you know, you need a beltran dirty, you need you need a Chris Winger, like you need somebody to lead the locker room. And there's They're a young team, man, Listen, they're a very young team. And I and I just I would describe it like it's a it's a it's a team that's filled with passengers and nobody wants to get behind the wheel.
Speaker 1: So the transfer window closes today, Chris uh. The forwards will be Ari pol Willie Goles, my guy Forrester, who I think is now with the development the Monarchs, yep, our guy Berea. So is are they screwed? I mean it's a season lost if these are the strikers. We've seen nothing to indicate anyone on the roster is able to finish consistently. You know, Forrester has good physical traits, the touch has been off and he's out.
Speaker 2: He's a developmental guy, right, I think Ari is too. Yeah, you can make that argument.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So like what are we doing here? Does it feel like this is going to be a lost year for ourselves? It does?
Speaker 2: So, it does, And I think to that sucks to sound pretty dire. Like I think there were last years quote unquote and the tail end of the Deloy year slash when the league took over. But people forget that, like those teams had Jimir cry Lock, Jefferson, Jefferson Savarino, Albert Rusnak like guys who were really really good and that team doesn't have anybody to that caliber right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one more thing here before we break. I reference this. Even though the transfer portal officially closes today, there have been plenty of examples in the past, dating all the way back to the Garth years, where some things actually did take place and transpire. Uh not officially after the window closed, but they had like the paperwork done that they need they later in the week. All right, So there's that possibility is still out there.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah, I believe it's our time. It's like ten fifty nine Mountain is when that is when deals need to be submitted to the league. You know, everything buttoned up so you could see deals coming in the ensuing days, But it sounds like they'll end up being domestic deals, like with with your guy Willie Goles if the Johnny Russell thing goes through. I know Rsel is in line on another potential player in the league, but like nothing is going to blow the fans away.
Speaker 1: Let me just kick the tires on this before we break, because Tom Bogert sends out, I feel so bad for the play here. Robert Bosanique really wanted the move completed. His medical on Tuesday, has been at the facility today too. He was going to get a nice pay raise. Now he's the one left holding the bag because Boavista went back on the agreement. Do you think there's any chance this is resurrected at all or does it feel like it's totally dead.
Speaker 2: If you're RSL, there's no way you can go back and work with these guys unless they unless Robert and his representation and the club that basically screwed you said yeah, we'll sell him for even cheaper. But I think like you have to flush this thing and never go back. All right, well, Chris, Chris will give us the truth. He will shoot us straight. I told you this a month ago. And if these things take so long and they take, it's so hard to get them over the line. Unfortunately for RSEL, they have to learn this is a harsh learning lesson that you have to figure out who you're really willing to go down these types of paths with.
Speaker 1: It is official. RSL sent out the announcement. Rayel Salleke acquire strike striker Willie Agata from Sporting cant A City not around Here's Willy Coles. All right, we'll catch a break coming up next transfer Portal college football. A lot of people are mad. We'll talk some college football, Chris, is this your selection?
Speaker 2: Porter?
Speaker 1: Or is this another one from c K? He doubled it up. Oh, but this is from a TV show, isn't it. Let's get his mic on its Oh man, it is. What's the name of the song?
Speaker 2: Porter?
Speaker 1: A little on the Wings of Love? On the Wings of Love was on a television program in the eighties, if I remember correctly, now, I was, oh, this is a great song. I'm so glad you as I haven't heard this in years. We should just do.
Speaker 2: Exclusive eighties one hit wonders anytime I'm on It's basically any day of the show.
Speaker 1: Is this yacht rock? Officially?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, Jeffrey Osborne, Yeah, On.
Speaker 1: The Wings of Love was on a television program. You know what I realized?
Speaker 2: I think it was on The Bachelor spin So you might have been caught.
Speaker 1: Well, I definitely don't watch The Bacher. If I did, I would tell you. I mean, I still watch Laguna Beach in the Hills. I'm not you know, We've talked about Yeah, I'm not one that is a snob about what I watch. I was having dinner with somebody the other day and I revealed that I was born in nineteen seventy eight. It is wild when the youngs find out that you were born in the seventies. I was I'm a child the seventy I was born in seventy eight. It feels like that makes me very very old these days.
Speaker 2: Well, you should be proud. You're part of the You're part of the best generation.
Speaker 1: I agree with that, and i've you know, the only thing I have over you is that you covet the fact that I'm a gen xer because you are an older millennial.
Speaker 2: Correct, how old do you know? I turned thirty nine.
Speaker 1: When's your birthday? December? Oh, that's right, you were a December birthday. Yep, all right, Chris. The transferport on college football is open closes on Friday. Twitter mostly is comprised of mentally old people throwing their feces at each other. But you've got Utah fans and Utah I'll use an air quotes reporters talking about BYU messing with Utah players and tampering and such, and then PYU fans throwing their feces back at Utah fans is tampering even a thing right now? When there are no rules and regulations and you're just doing whatever you have to do to acquire talent.
Speaker 2: No, but can I take a quick non sequitur?
Speaker 1: Please? Do we love non sequiturs on the show? Well, I guess it's more of a secuitder Okay, we love those too. When I was a kid living in the Bay Area, we used to go to the San Francisco Zoo, great zoo by the way.
Speaker 2: And one time class field trip, very vivid, like second third grade, the chimps just launching it man full send Okay, like you would think that these guys were getting scouted by the pros, like full on, thirty forty feet, just launching it. So yeah, so it's a good analogy. And that's basically yes, that basically yes.
Speaker 1: What I've realized about Twitter, truly mentally ill people throwing feces are nothing that benefits me ever from going on there, but creature of habit. And I still I go to like specific accounts if I want news, like my algorithms messed up the four you feed. I'm like that, none of that's for me. But where we're at now, until there are rules or regulations in place, I don't think there's even such a thing as tampering, Like that's not even real because you're allowed to do whatever you want to do. Transfer portal opens, you can contact whoever you want.
Speaker 2: There are no rules. The only rules are whether you make it into the portal before the cutoff date. That's basically it correct. And if we really want to drill down on this, should we drill?
Speaker 1: But let's grind and drill.
Speaker 2: This is a peak into the paranoid subconscious of a fan base that is afraid that they are backsliding or devolving into the days that they felt like we're gone forever. This is the Utah fan base paranoid that BYU is going to rise again.
Speaker 1: Or has risen, has risen? Shout out Easter Sunday.
Speaker 2: And this this is a bipro. I mean, like, listen, man, I I've lived here for a long time. I went to the U. Some of my best friends, closest friends in the world went to BYU. Like we are in it together. We talk about the intermachinations of both fan bases. Utah fans are scared, and that's okay, But if you're going to exist in the cesspool, you need to understand that, Like, that's what where all of this is coming from. There is the they're upset because of BYU. If it was any other school, I promise you they wouldn't be making as much of a fuss. If Keanu Tanavasa decided to go to Stanford or USC or Oregon or Michigan, you wouldn't have cared a single bit compared to him going to BYU. This is a byproduct of Utah fans being afraid. And that's the reality. And until you wrap your mind around the fact that there are no rules, just chill, man and listen. I can say this because I know I went to school there. I've been around Utah fans for a long time. This is the inferiority complex playing out in real time. People are up in arms about a dude who has six catches. What are we doing? Man? This is and I'm going to go back, like the thirty thousand viewpoint of this whole thing is like, this is Utah failing to build a wide receiver room. This has nothing to do with Zach Williams. This is this is this is a fundamental failure once again for Utah to have really good wide receivers and the fact that people are freaking out that a kid who maybe had a good spring, like people saying, oh, he had a good spring game, so we're going to we're going to blame the spring game. The lengths that people will go to to find a boogeyman Spence is.
Speaker 1: Wild, Yeah it is. And you know it's funny you reference the whole like undercurrent of fear for YOUT fans when it comes to the rivalry at some point swinging back around because dud for years and years and years, when you know, coach McBride builds it up, Urban takes it over. And this two year straight to the moon, the two year Urban Meyer Boom Utah football is different instantly Pac twelve coach with generation of youth dominance throughout the entire throughout the entire thing. Like every year, like all right, we'll send out a tweet about the winning streak eight straight nines, whatever it was, ten and to years. I would say on air, like, you guys know this won't last because all this stuff is cyclical, and maintaining dominance over your rival in any sport, on any level, never lasts all that long. It was pretty remarkable that after I think there was just like Lavelle Stretch was like twenty one and two against Utah. And so when I was growing up, certainly, if Utah made it close, that felt like a win. And then you get the occasional Eddie Johnson, you.
Speaker 2: Know, the occasional wild game, right right, and that was.
Speaker 1: Like an amazing upset that put the win in the sales of Ute fans. But it was BYU dominating Utah football forever. And so if you're a Utah football fan that's a little bit older, you remember that, and that's that's a place you never want to go to again. And so the fact that you know football fans my son's age, you know, twenty two to twenty three and younger only know this Ute generation of dominance. It does kind of dissuade from the fact that there are these youth fans that are older that have enjoyed the past twenty years or whatever, but have always thought like, what if we go back to the way it was when I was growing up? And what if Kalani gets this thing ticking? And I think the main fear, at least the question I get from a lot of people is when Kyle's done, what is it going to look like? Because I think Kyle's established this generation. He was the guy I've always said the two biggest days of Utah football as far as their generational dominance over their arrival and their relative success when it comes to other football programs in the PAC twelve, certainly when they won championships. The two biggest days were when the Pac twelve invite came and when Kyle said no it was Alma Matern Yes to Utah. Those are the two biggest days that have led us to this space where of course b YU got him last year, but it has been a generation of Utah football dominance. But there has been this undercurrent of anxiety that will this thing flip and we're back to the way it was when Lavelle was the head coach, and that ultimately leads to the over the top reactions when BYU poaches a Utah football player or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: But how are we defining poaching? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like that?
Speaker 2: What people are failing to realize is that before NIL, before the transfer portal, players were moving back and forth between these two programs every single year. Some of the best BYU players in recent memory went to Utah. Some of the best Utah players in recent memory went to BYU. Francis Bernard great player BYU comes to Utah, helps them win, goes to the NFL. Just first name of off to my head. There are so many other players like that. Samson Nakua played at Utah, helped them win a Pack twelve title goes to b Why you played with play with his brother? It is I yeah, I mean you hit the nail on it. It is a fundamental fear that you know, the the opposition, the dread arrival is is has amassed the amount of support that they have and maybe your your side hasn't. But we we got a chill man. We this is and a lot of this comes down to I don't know if we have time for you know, you know my main my main thing in life is wanting to expand media literacy across the across the globe, to the to the youngs, especially to people who live on the internet. This is also a byproduct of this is you always need to double and triple and sometimes quadruple check where you're getting your information online because I know a lot of people aren't fans of the media world right now, but just proceed with caution. Let's just say that because everybody, not everybody, most people have ulterior motives when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, and I also just think, and I know we've been over this in the past, but every time a situation like this takes place, and this happens at both by U and Utah, there are fans reporting on this stuff like emotional fans correct where you'll you'll see these people on the sidelines like jumping around and celebrating Utah scores a touchdown. They're jumping with the players in the end zone. BYU scores a touchdown and they're literally celebrating in the scrum with the players and coaches. And these are the people reporting on what's happening. Can we throw air quotes reporting what's happening with both these schools and again it is both. They're like the ecosystem of propaganda coming from BYU where they own BYU TV, and they march these supposed journalists out on TV every day to you know, to to to commentate on the state of the program and report what's actually going on. These are BYU employees and they are BYU super fans. They are goobs and it's the same thing that is happening with cer people that are covering Utah football that are just fans, it is all, and they want to be in the good graces of the coaches and the administrators. They don't give a rip about bringing accurate information to people. They just want to send something out and then hopefully Morgan Scalley reads their tweet and was like, yes, I love that guy, or hopefully Jay Hill is watching BYU TV. And these quasi media members that are simply propagating information from the university. They just want to endear themselves. They want to be They're not on the team they want to be. They're not in the locker room they want to be. They want to be part of the program they don't want to be part of like actual journalistic integrity where they're bringing real information to people.
Speaker 2: And this is not specific to Utah or BYU. Unfortunately, this is a This is this is a permeating issue at Division one colleges and frankly in professional sports nationwide.
Speaker 1: It comes down to a question, what do what do fans want?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 1: What do people want? What does the average Utah fan want? What does the average BYU fan want? Do they want the echo chamber where they just fed what they already believe or did they actually want the truth?
Speaker 2: No, they want they want the echo chamber, and they're ready to unsheed their swords when anybody comes along and maybe says otherwise. And that is that is human nature. That is a I mean you talk to you talk to the goat Spencer Hall all the time about tribalism and like why college football is so unique compared to really any other sport. It's impact and its overall effect on people resonates differently than I think a lot of professional sports because a lot of it is so much more community driven. It is you've invested time and money, You've sat time, you wasted time and classes in the library and the study hall. You've paid thousands of dollars to get a piece of paper from this you know, respective university, wherever you went. And yeah, you like going to football games, and football games are fun when your team wins. But we are now to the point where a lot, a lot needs to be done in order to properly get the point across on who is independent, who is bringing information from two sides of the story not just one, because that is also a huge part of this as well. It's like you may have somebody on staff who's telling you to do something and you know, feeding you information, and that's going to be one sided. And your job, if you are a independent reporter, is to verify that. And a lot of times, most of the time, now I would say that that's not happening.
Speaker 1: You know, back to the whole dynamic of the the the undercurrent of fear permeating throughout a fan base. I just think, and I don't know this, this is my opinion, hence me saying it into a microphone on a radio show. I also think there's a lot of fear among the Utah fan base of what the Io Collective in Provo has to offer and what the Royal Blue Collective or whatever the hell that is. You know, when you hear seven million dollars for a j the banter for five months of basketball, when Robert Wright signs a million dollar contract to play basketball at Baylor and b WYU triples it though, well, come on, I mean, like, let's let's be adults here, Okay, let's be grown ups. Like again, they're gonna say what they say, but you have to kind of read between the lines and actually be authentic and truthful about what really is going on. It is about the money, and I do think for a Utah fan, the fear is and what I've been told is b WHYU currently has nine seven figure donors and Utah has two, and the two that Utah has it's not hard to figure out their names around buildings. So I do think there's also a fear that maybe Utah financially is not in a place to keep up with Brigham Young. And I don't know if that's true. I don't have numbers. I have no idea. You might be in a much better place with their collective, the Crimson Collective, than I have any idea about and BYU maybe it isn't in a place where they're collective. I'm just drawing conclusions here because at least on the basketball side, BYU's riding massive checks. Now on the football side, it's hard to know. Because after BYU springball wrapped up Harrison Taggart, really good starting linebacker, Keelan Marion, really good wide receiver, All American returner, they both hit the transfer portal, and then the Tribunes report about the bro whoever, whoever the bro is that runs the BYU Royal Blue collective, the MLM Bro whoever that guy is, you shout out to our guy keV holding the meeting last year and basically dressing down the roster saying we're cutting your pay because you had a bad year. So I don't know if the football program receives the same nil that the basketball program does. But I think from a Utah fan perspective, another portion of the fear that is driving these reactions because you're you what you don't know and the emotional reactions online of people that are just horribly behaved, it is a byproduct of what you don't know, what you're scared of, and if you're a Utah fan, the fear is are we keeping up financially with the other programs across the country, namely the one that's forty miles down south.
Speaker 2: I would say it's predominantly just that one. Honestly, Like I said, if this was any other school, I don't think there would be as much of a social media uprising, so to speak. I just really don't until there is a set rules set, you know, rules and regulations in place, until there is a commissioner who can dictate what is you know, within the bounds of proper you know, uses of nil and all of this stuff. It is going to just be off the wall twenty four to seven. And if you are a coach signed up for it. If you're a player, you signed up for it. If you're a fan, you need to understand that you're signing up for it too. And I think I said this like in January February, Man, like you should not be up in arms about anything until second week, third week of camp, Kyle, until you're a week away from the season opener, because you don't know what the roster's going to look like. And until then, it can change. It can change, it can change. And it's maybe hyperbolic to say that, like everybody is just trying to get through the day, but it kind of is the reality of it, like nobody really knows what's around the corner.
Speaker 1: Well and you know, yeah, so all that is correct, And I will add this, I think back to the whole like, hey, I was told that it wasn't about the money. Like when you hear things like XBYU athletes going on radio shows and saying we don't outbid ts, we out love them, we out develop them, and we outserve them, and you're like, dude, shut up.
Speaker 2: The former editor of The Desert News, Clark Gilbert, tweeted, who's now like some guy at like BYU Idaho like made a stink about how BYU is not in the business of paying players.
Speaker 1: But it's stuff like that that is so offensive because don't tell me that I'm not seeing what I'm seeing, Like you're basically Steve Bannon and you're muddying the waters and you're flooding the zone with misinformation to distract people from what's actually going on. It's the same thing. Don't do that, And I do think that's where a lot of the vitriol comes from, like this hubris and this unauthentic approach where you are lying to me about what's going on. You are outbidding teams for players and guess what, good job. Yeah, it just that's the deal.
Speaker 2: Just just admit life.
Speaker 1: You should be taking victory laps. You just don't lie about what you're taking the victory lap about. I have long said whenever when NIL became a reality, the first day, I said, you know who, this is good news for b YU. They've got a ton of rich alums that have started companies summer in jail, and they've got a ton of rich alums. Then yes, shout out to the bull. Are you gonna a ten alphacon this year? I'll go if you go, I'll go for sure, I'll go if Meg comes with us.
Speaker 2: How long will it take for me to get kicked out?
Speaker 1: Oh, you'll be kicked out immediately.
Speaker 2: I don't even think they let me through the door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you might not get in. I can dress the part, Yeah, I can figure it out. Okay, I can pretend like I belong.
Speaker 2: To and maybe pluck the eyebrows a little bit.
Speaker 1: Cut the hair, probably short, do some some spikes, probably some creatine, a little skinny right.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, Bulk up protein powder, max out.
Speaker 1: Three credit cards to rent a Hummer or something for the weekend. Indeed, but BYU has a lot of alums that have started companies that have made a lot of money, and a lot of alums that care about sports. Sound there, and I said a ton a lot. Like as soon as those guys want to open up their wallet, they will be able to get anybody who just cares about money and wants to get paid. And most of these young athletes, they want to get paid. A. J. Devants is not pumped about swig. He's pumped about seven million dollars. As we talked about. You know again, I don't know if the football program is receiving the same nil that the basketball program is, but BYU is winning in that space right now. Just lean into it and stop telling people that they're not seeing what they're seeing. And I do think that adds to the whole pushback that BYU fans get.
Speaker 2: It's also very like I'm going to go I'm going to go big time cultural here. It's very state of Utah like smile to your face, but kind.
Speaker 1: Of stab you in the back, passive aggressive.
Speaker 2: Right like it is so on brand that it is kind of like coming out the years. Basically, Yeah, that's all I say.
Speaker 1: All right, last thing, The fact of the matter is you tosk out work to do, say what you want about Zach Williams lack of production, to lean into about what he could be. I think most people felt like he was gonna be wide receiver one and he's gone.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: We just talked about RSLs and ability to get difference makers across the line prior to today. If Utah doesn't add a couple of wide receivers prior to Friday, what's the fall gonna look like? Inn Big Willie Goles catch, I don't know, left to see. They need help, Chris, they need.
Speaker 2: They need help. I know some of the Portal bros have you know, tweeted that they have like a guy from McNee state coming to visit sick. We don't listen. We never knew what it was going to look like anyways, So anybody again, anybody who was telling you that this offense was going to be historic was lying to you. And who knows, maybe Jason Beck finds a way to incorporate all the new running backs or finds a way to incorporate the tight ends that so many people thought the death of twelve personnel was was gone forever. Maybe not. Maybe it'll maybe it's been resurrected. But the reality is you have to look at brass tax and brass taxes. They have a guy who played it Utah State Auto Tia local kid. I think he statistically had the most you know, touchdowns last year currently on the on the Utah roster. Then he had seven. The kid from New Mexico had like seven hundred yards. The dude from Mississippi State creed forget his last Namemore.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: These are all guys who were playing the role of you know, supplementary players where they came from. I just don't know if these are guys that are going to be able to come in and be the types of leaders statistically that Utah needs. And who knows again, nobody, anybody that tells you they've been grinding. Jason Beck tape from New Mexico's lying to you. So just take a breath. If you need a libation, take it. If you need a waterloo, if you need a spin drift, enjoy the summer and chill.
Speaker 1: The sponge drift sounds lovely right now. Just so you know, twelve personnel never dies on this show. Chris, Great to see you, my friend, right the great Chris Camaradie, before you catch a break, and welcome in Ryan from the Dish Professionals. Save a grip of money on a grip of things. That's the bottom line, Tyll eight oh one four two four Dish. What's going on? Ryan?
Speaker 4: Yes, call us up today, d one of the many have saved just a ton of money. Listen, every day we get customers calling in. They're telling us, Okay, my cable bill has gone up. Hear you on the radio. What can you offer because it is crazy the amount of money people are paying versus what they could be paying. You know you're over paying. Pick up the phone and just call us. It's easy and simple, not a high pressure thing on our end. We're just gonna give you a better deal. Get your price, care you. We'll throw in some movie channels. I'llso get you set up with the biggest fastest TVR out there, the auto hoops commercials, auto record your games, and plus you can have all the streaming apps built into the system, so you just have one remote that runs everything. It's all interlaces together, easy and operate, easy to use and operate. Calls up Today, gets up with that. Let's send you up a dinner at jcw's. Plus, we'll check and see if you've got a gift card offer out there. You just missed it in the mail. About sixty percent of the time we find these, and that's a three or five hundred dollars gift card in your pocket. Call us four two four dish eight oh one four two four dish.
Speaker 1: Shout out to my good friends at Burt Brothers with over thirty years of experience and nearly thirty locations. Burt Brothers ASC certified technicians bring expertise and professionalism to every interaction. One stop shop for aliable repairs and maintenance from tires and alignments to fluids and breaks. Tax Day Saving Sale is in full swing. By three tires and get one free on Celet, Goodyear, Falcon and Firestone tires. Plus get an extra fifty dollars off on purchases over five five hundred dollars using the Burt Brothers Card. Tax Days Saving Sale also includes saving forty dollars on your vaveling synthetic oil change. Stop by your Burt Brothers or a tire Buster's locations or schedule an appointment online today to schedule or excuse me to experience the trusted service that has made Burt Brothers a Utah favorite for over three decades. Burt Brothers doing it better since day one.