Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: KFI Handle here on a home day, Wednesday, February the twelfth. Uh yeah, another story, yet another story of La Unified School District or I went to school, and this story is about the school district is being accused of misusing millions meant for arts instruction. Now arts instruction has fallen apart, like many other programs in the past several years, in the past many years, simply because the school district has no money. I remember, and this goes way back. This is me hallucinating and having a flashback. I remember as a kid when I was in elementary school, Missus Brelli second grade, Wow, I just remember that, and then fifth was it? Sixth grade Missus jamtav four hundred pounds give or take, very big woman. In any case, back we go off of by Tangent and we were given by the school little box of crayons, twelve crayons. The rich kids would go out and buy sixty four bucks and we all got very upset with a ruler and pencils and all kinds of supplies and art classes for every class and music class not just banned, but out and out music classes, So of course those days are gone, and so because there's no money. In twenty twenty two, we voted California with a two thirds majority that requires a portion of California's general fund equal to one percent of the minimum state funding levels for K twelve schools. A lawsuit filed by the former superintendent and a bunch of students said that ain't happening. Either they're not spending the money at all, or they're spending the money to pay for existing programs of which there is no more money. And the lawsuit says what LA Unified is doing is in violation of the proposition prop. Twenty eight and therefore has defrauded the students, defrauded the school district or the school district is defrauded students because they're not spending the money. And the school district says, we're not getting the money, but these students lawsuits says, you are getting the money and you're diverting the money. And so just an allegation of the misuse in this case, the allegation of fraud. Now it also used to be as part of the arts program that we used to go on these trips. I mean, we pile into buses and go to the zoo. We would go to, for example, the Shrine Auditorium, which was around then it maybe still be, and we'd see musicals. I remember as a kid seeing which one did I see? I saw an opera that they had. Now, when's the last time you heard of an entire school district, or an entire fifth grade piling onto buses, those big yellow buses and going to see an opera that was written for or at least modified for students. It doesn't happen. Matter of fact. The only thing that and I went was it a couple of years ago where they did exactly that. This was after Lynn Miranda Manuel, who's the guy I always get his name confused who wrote Hamilton, and everybody was entranced with him, and they put together a field trip from schools all over the place, and I went one of the few people that were invited for whatever reason, and I went to see it. And heeded well, not to see Hamilton, but to see him and do a question and answer. That is the only outing that I've ever seen the school do, the school district do. After I left the school in after sixth grade of elementary school. Hey, I don't know the answer, but does if someone takes music class today, does a school provide musical instruments? And I don't know the answer to that in public schools because they did when I was going to school.
Speaker 3: I do know that my son's school has a music room and there are instruments in them, but I don't know if all of them are provided.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would be provided. When I went to school with your violin with a trumpet, I remember, I took class and I took trumpet, and the school gave them out. Most students spot their own.
Speaker 1: Is that where you learned to blow hard?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Very strong. I played a great story too. I played trumpet and I was horrible. And in high school I played baritone horn and I was so bad they wouldn't let me play in band. I was just they needed people on the field to move around, and the teacher said, Bill, don't play. Don't seriously, don't play. And I will now tell you. You take a baritone horn and the mouthpiece makes a perfect bong. It is. You take a little screen in the mouthpiece and you put the tube into water, so you have a water a water bong. And it was the perfect size and guess how many people used a lot of people a baritone horn they did. Okay, I digress, and if you think I'm kidding, for those of you that smoke, just put together one of these with a baritone horn mouthpiece. All right, We're done with that. That was kind of interesting. That tangent. How shocking. Okay, the ad that Kanye West that known as easy on It in the Super Bowl was kind of interesting because he tells people to or he told people to go to his website. He's sitting in a dentists chair and talked about the great teeth he has, which looked ridiculous. Now, just before that, on the on X, he launches into a sexist and anti Semitic rant, telling people to whip your Jews, that's the problem. And he talks about going to his website where he sells merch, and it turned out he sold one piece of merch a T shirt that had a swastik on the front and he also had posted I love Hitler. Kind of interesting. That's how to get people on your side. So how did that go on? How did that happen on the internet. Well, there is an end around where you can literally post crap like that. Even though the NFL has all the control of the world and has to do with not buying a national ad, you don't buy the national show. What advertisers do is buy local shows, and each one of those is controlled by the local either the regional affiliate, which in this case was regional, and the NFL really doesn't pay attention much of those. They What they do is rely on the local station, well the local stations. Keep in mind, the NFL has X number of commercials to run in a Super Bowl. Local stations have hundreds to run every week, and so the oversight is, let's say, less stringent. And this is well, we're talking about Channel eleven now, is what this story is about in Wall Street Journal? How did that get through? Well, the ad agency said that these rants happened before, just before, and we didn't see him and we didn't know what he was selling, and trying to separate themselves from doing it. But that this is what does happen, is the these advertisers do the end around. For example, kt TV, right, folks, Fox eleven ran an ad ran his ad about a million bucks. The national ad buy was eight million dollars, and so why would they only buy a local TV spot. Well in the major markets, well, you don't have to buy spots, for example in South Dakota, because everybody has a T shirt that has a swastik on it. They've already bought it, and you're trying to get a major market. And that was the end around. And the argument is that that was added after the buy was in fact bought, so he got around it. Now the ad agency that created his ad and had nothing to do with the swastik on the T shirt because that was his merch that the ad agency said, we didn't know about it and it wasn't available even until after we booked the ad. They've dropped him. They said, you are done. And the NFL of course went half berserk, saying that it had no awareness of the ad buy or the spot until after it ran, and strongly condemns any form of anti Semitism, which, by the way, I tend to well, I know that that's their position, but in the end, they really don't have much control. And while the NFL has very stringent controls over the ads that run in the Super Bowl, they give the local affiliate. I don't know how many one to two ads to run during the Super Bowl for carrying it. So, therefore, if you want to run an ad that is let's say, questionable, the trick is to do it in two ways. Well, actually, you want to do it locally for a couple of reasons. Number one, it's a lot cheaper than a national buy and number two, getting it through is going to be a lot easier. Now, the other argument is during the Super Bowl, would you think that a local affiliate would be a little bit more careful about running any kind of ad, especially from Kanye West. You think he's a little bit controversial. Yeah, So that was the switcheroo. And as soon as as soon as the ad ran, of course, the whole country went berserk. And by the way, it didn't run and most of the country people hadn't seen it. Neil, you remember when we did on the Morning Show and we did a takeoff and made fun of and rightly we were attacked about making fun of the gridlock and the a number of people that had died in Saudi Arabia going to Mecca and there was a bridge that went to the Kaba, which is where millions of Saudis go, and there was this gridlock and one hundred and thirty some odd people died, and our board operator at that time made fun of it, just made fun of it, pretended that there was a reporter, a KFI reporter and a helicopter overhead reporting on what was happening, and people went nuts. Ago oh years and years ago. That must have been twenty years ago when we did that. But the point I'm making, and by the way, it was probably inappropriate, although would we do it again today, I have no idea. But the point I'm making is the response we got was astronomical. We were getting response from responses from Jordan and from Egypt, absolutely slamming us. And how many people in Jordan and Egypt listened to the morning show.
Speaker 1: So got a great following there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of Jordanians, I'm on, we do. Great point is is that people went nuts who never even saw the spot. That's how controversial it was. Okay, ouvas no remember that?
Speaker 1: No grapes, Yeah, no grapes.
Speaker 2: And that was when the great boycott was happening. Caesar Chavez and finally got the union recognized among the pickers of grapes here in California. Went on for years. By the way, the boycott and it did work. Canadians are going in.
Speaker 1: My dad made shirts and stuff like that. That's where the first time I ever heard of US.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now in Canada. Now in Canada, it's going across the country. They are they're going crazy with this, and they're saying no American products, you know, even they're not going to the United States anymore for visiting ear nose and throat specialists. It's vas No, that didn't work. We tried. Okay, let's let's move on. Well it turned out and it's legit here that you know. Trump has gone against Canada big time with the tariffs twenty five percent tariffs against Canada and Mexico. And the reason is, and he gives a bunch of reasons, but primarily the fentanyl and the immigration, and Canada is saying, wait a minute, we're less than one percent of the fentanyl, We're less than one percent of the immigration problem. What are you doing? And now he's talking about the balance of trade. I think that kicked in a little bit later to justify what he's doing. So what are And by the way, he also said I love this. He wants to annex Canada. Is the fifty first state, saying it would be much better off. Canada is not a viable country without US trade. And so you have Canadians from Prime Minister Trudeau all the way down and they are boycotting everything they can, Canceling Netflix for example, not buying American products of any kind, booing at at NHL games and so what's going on. Oh and they're stopping to drink Florida Orange jues. Not that there's a lot of that, Canceling trips to summer vacation trips to for example, Disney World, canceled across the board, I mean all over the country. And the reality is in many cases, you know, when they talk about a line in the sand, Vincente Fox, when he was president of Mexico said there was no border between the United States and Mexico. There's tons of borders between that. Canada not so much. For example, Craft American cheese made by Craft here, right, you know what is in Canada. It's Craft Canadian cheese, same manufacture. So much trade going back and forth that it is going to be very problematic for American manufacturers and American consumers. Because our biggest trading partner is Canada. We get lumber from Canada. We get parts for cars from Canada, we get bad jokes from Canada. Canadians also don't get very excited. They really don't, because I remember I went to school in Canada for a year and a half. Now I don't remember much of it because I was stoned for the entire eighteen months. Boy was all hire and the kite. Matter of fact, oh here's a fun story. A few years ago I went back. I went to Simon Fraser University. I couldn't find it. I had no idea where it was because I was so ripped during the time I was there. But it was. It was American products, back and forth. We just there was no difference at all. Their idea of terrorism was kind of fun though. Our idea of terrorism buildings being blown up. Their idea, and this is when I went to school, is the quote terrorists which were actually separat as the party was the fl que. Their idea was to blow up post office boxes. That was it. That was their terrorism. And usually after the post man or postwoman cleaned out the box right the mail was taken out, then they blew it up. That was a big difference. The rest not so much so. We are seeing some big boycotts. Is it going to affect us? Well, it's going to affect the lumber industry, that's for sure. That was tariffs. And is disney World going to be affected? I don't know how many Canadians go. We don't have to worry about craft Canadian cheese. The other thing, Canadian bacon is not Canadian bacon in Canada. It's called beck bacon. Just in case you get asked on on Jeopardy, you'll know the answer. Uvas No Americans. No. Oh, do we have a story. It's a Disneyland story. The Disability Access Service DAS, the DAS pass was and is for people who have physical disabilities. It used to be that it wasn't that hard to get. And my advice to people that were going to Disneyland's Disneyland, something that I have followed always is there's a Walmart right around the corner from Disneyland, very close. Go in there, buy one of those collapsible canes. They cost twelve bucks, and you walk into Disneyland with a cane and you get to the front of the line. And not only have I done that, I've told people to do that. And of course it worked brilliantly. Now not so much. They've made it much harder and to the point where there's a lawsuit. There is a San Diego resident, Trisha applied for a DAS pass, had to meet with a representative of Disney and a DAS application interview, and they solicited medical information. What the hell is that? Well, it turned out too many people were listening to my advice and we're showing up with those collapsible canes and pretending that they were disabled. So she sued. It's a class action lawsuit. First of all, it's because it's so much more difficult. Part of the lawsuit is she wants Disney to revert to a previous, less restrictive version of DAS. Back we go to the cane. Yeah, baby. She's also looking for damages, restitution, the cost of attorney's fees. It's your typical class action suit. Now, of course, Disney comes back with Disney offers a broad range of effective disabil obility accommodations. Has worked extensively with experts to ensure our guests individual needs are properly matched with the accommodation they require. Hey, this is about the line. It's about how long you wait and line. That's what this is about. The rest of it doesn't matter. They have interpreters, they have ramps, they have all of this, which is I understand. This is great. Disney is great in that regard. How about the lines.
Speaker 3: It was so abused, man, you could tell it was so abused, and they would bring everyone with them so you'd have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I know, you could bring one person, one person out you I remember that. I remember I was questioned all the time. I was even when I limped, I was questioned all the time. Hey, are you really disabled? Hit them with a cane. Hit them with a cane and say you can't you can't question my disability.
Speaker 3: But think of it this way. If you're in a wheelchair, hear me out. If you're in a wheelchair, you're sitting down. That's easier in line.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: There's other disabilities, like if you couldn't stand and you had a can.
Speaker 2: No. I understand, But it worked out because there is a philosophy that people in wheelchairs just go to the front of the line. It's just the way it works. It's people who are disabled. You want to help them. I mean it used to be you ignored them. They you know, they were sort of in the closet. Not anymore. I mean, the people with disabilities are front and center, and disability has become a big issue, and people with disabilities should be and have been successful in changing the way society views folks with these disabilities. It's just this Disney wants people who are really disabled to get that dash pass. Bastards. Why would they listen? Stop it. I have my cane, I am limping, I am disabled. And here's the problem. They want medical information. Disney wants medical information.
Speaker 1: While you're being you're asking for medical exceptions accommodations.
Speaker 3: But wouldn't you worry more about somebody who maybe was on the spectrum, a young kid who couldn't stand in line.
Speaker 2: That is, by the way, one of the other ones. That is exactly one of the other ones that is allowed. But you have you come in with a note from your shrink as your kid is screaming, dancing around, punching other people in line. The kid has autism and that is an issue. I mean now and being serious for a moment, the kid has truly autism. Now you know that's where on the other where on the spectrum is it? My kid has autism. How do you know the kid is being quiet right there? Does a kid have to start kicking people in line? Or if you're really sophisticated, you tell your kid who doesn't have autism to start kicking people in line, and we're gonna go to the front of the line. This is the reason that Disney has implemented this das policy bill.
Speaker 1: It's because of you. Yeah, it used to work, I know, but you're taking advantage.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that is absolutely correct and wrecking it for everybody else.
Speaker 2: That is fine with me.
Speaker 1: You Bill are a dass hole.
Speaker 2: Oh, very strong. All right, we're done with that. Oh, we have a lot coming up, all right. Democrats think they are a lot smarter than Republicans. Democrats and I am not one, nor am i Republican. I am an affiliated have been my entire life as a voter. It's absolutely true the elitism of Democrats worse smarter than you. You guys are all idiots. You don't go to the dentists, You go to NASCAR races. Yep, yep, yep. Oh let me tell you how wrong, how wrong you are. And by the way, this costs elections big time and I'll come back with that, let's check in with now, let's just bail out for a moment, and we'll come back. KFI so slick. That was how I corrected myself, and it sounded like a sort of planned Oh damn, I'm good. No, this is why I got paid to do KFI. Am six you've been listening to The Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.