Speaker 1: Greediest in salutations, everyone to Church Wilson Walking to Fantasy Baseball Live. Today is Saturday, February one. Tim did not want to do this podcast on groundhog Day. I don't know why, Tim, but we've moved it to Saturday for today.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I don't need another six to eight weeks of winter rich now, So I'm gonna I'm gonna let that little room do his thing without interfering with the with our weather up here in our podcast. Did you see that?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, sure, yeah. Did you see the movie groundhog.
Speaker 2: Day over and over?
Speaker 1: And yes, a great movie. It's a great movie. Yeah, yeah, so yeah, I think a groundhog Day more about the movie than I do about Punk Satawny Phil, which is you know, obviously the the little what is it a groundhog? I guess it's a groundhog that comes out and they you know, it's they look at the weather forecast, so it's gonna be six more weeks of winter.
Speaker 2: So well I buy a laugh because where I live, it doesn't matter. He can predict that it's gonna happen. Anyways. Okay, we got to change it for us northern to like maybe twelve weeks a winter or something like that. Give the guy a chance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're back up here in New Jersey. Tim So drove up yesterday or the last two days, and my wife and I had a It was a good trip. First day was really good. Second day it rained a good part of the of the trip, so that kind of stunk. And there was another plane crash. We had two plane crashes this week, which is really spooky. And we went through Philadelphia about three hours before that. That's second plane crash happened last night. It's kind of weird, you know, it's kind of ominous. I mean, went very close by it. Yeah, so it's really weird stuff happening.
Speaker 2: Yes, very much. So. I believe that was a METAVAC flight if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, taking up taking us a young girl who was having treatment on her final treatment done. They never said what, but the final treatment done in Philadelphia, which apparently Philadelphia is a very big city for providing global care that. You know, these metavac planes kind of come in and I actually know a guy who runs a company that does that kind of stuff and it's pretty remarkable work.
Speaker 2: Yeah that Yeah, I wasn't aware of it, but I am certainly aware of Medovac as I've been privy to it up close to personal. I have nothing but good things to say about the Metavac services where I live. Ye saved my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know if this is a profit Metavac the one my friend runs, and there's a lot of them that go around the country here that there are private citizens who have airplanes and it's a nonprofit and you know, they do this stuff gratus, you know, they they you know, they basically they'll get a schedule to go pick up so and so from you know, somewhere in the country and poured them to another place to get you know, whatever. It's usually not emergency medical care, but it's it's uh, you know, maybe cancer treatment or something like that, or some kind of surgery that only Children's Hospital and Minnesota can do it, right, So they'll they'll take the person there. And it's actually a wonderful it's a wonderful nonprofit that does that, and there's a lot of that exists here. Yeah, you know, it's it's one of those kind of strange, little unknown things that happened in day to day lives that people don't even know what's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, philanthropy by a Yeah, yeah, No, I I wasn't aware of that. It all up here. Uh, it's just part of the socialized medical procedure. And I can very happily say I got a bill for absolutely nothing for that plane trip and appreciate it in a big way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. So, so I had a we had a Tim McCloud conversation. You made our nine hour drive back?
Speaker 2: What what did? What did I do?
Speaker 1: It was? It was it was funny. So so we're so, I guess the navigational system saw something, you know, down the turnpike and didn't want us to go down the Jersey Turnpike, so they sent us through the back roads of New Jersey. So we're in these little small farming towns kind of riding through the country, and we happened upon a fairly large cemetery that you're you know, you're looking at it, going, have we seen that many houses to like fill up a cemetery because it was pretty sparse. I said, wow, it's like, so I saw it. I said, wait, I said, that's a pretty large cemetery for such a small areas. And Lorie goes everybody's dying to get there. And I said, oh my gosh, you've become Tim McLeod. We all laughed and said, was that a really bad dad joke? I go, I think it was exactly I was. I thought you would like that. It's definitely something Tim would say. It's just I mean it. And it was so natural too, and it's like, wow, I'm doing the podcast now with my wife and she's playing Tim. This is crazy. It was great. It was it was very very good. So timmy. We had a few signings this week. It's sexually slowed down. No Pete Alonza yet, no Jack Flaherty. Get a little concerned about Jack flerty to draft them on my NBC team. He better signed in the next two weeks or I'm in deep trouble there. And then Pete Alonzo apparently is pissed that Scott Boris for not getting him a deal, so at least that's what's being reported everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Alex Bergman still hasn't found a home.
Speaker 1: That's true. I mean, I mean, Boris had so many of the big, big free agents like he normally does, and obviously Juan Soto signed a big fan fear but a lot of the other guys have not yet.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and the lock sticking. Yeah, and after what we've seen in the past couple of years, I'm sitting in the same chair as you are when it comes to if they haven't signed, what am I doing? I know what I'm doing. I'm just staying away.
Speaker 1: And I think, yeah, I think I should have done that with Jack Flaherty, But it was one of those situations where he was in the queue and he was he'd been sitting there for a while and whatever he was, he was, his ADP was he had fallen a lot, and I thought it was right value. And but maybe I shouldn't have taken I'm just given the risk that's associated with him.
Speaker 2: Well, let's hope he signs in the next couple of weeks and all will be forgotten, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll be forgotten. Speaking of a Scott Barris client, he did get Hassan Kim for people forget that. Scott Boris does represent him. Two year deal with the Rays and opt out after the first year. Scott bars has suggested that he's going to return after having laboram surgery in September. He's going to return. Tim of course in April. A j Preller was was reported saying it's probably more like May June, maybe even later than that. So who do you believe, Tim? When is Hassan Ken going to play his first game?
Speaker 2: Uh? Who has the vested interest there? He's not coming back any I'd be shocked if he's back in April, coming off that surgery. I think you could be looking at May June, maybe maybe closer to the All Star break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it is a bit of a It is a bit of a bummer because I do like Carson Williams. I thought he would be a nice like Lake grabbing a often holdly, but I don't think so. Now. I think they're probably gonna limp my until Kim is ready by mid season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll go with those Walls. I guess it is mat short. Brandon Lowe's got second base, it looks like so as soon as he's ready to go, Walls gets pushed back into a bench roll and Kim gets a job and Carson Williams will have another full year to better himself down on the farm. Man. I believe there's an opt out on this deal as well, So yeah, I don't know if Kim will be around for the second second year of this deal. I guess a lot will depend on how he looks on the field when he gets back on it. Right, So let me ask.
Speaker 1: You a question. So just this just occurred to I mean, there's a lot of examples of mob bosses out there, Timmy, in the world today, and we won't talk about them. But are the Tampa Bay Rays a mob boss? Are they not allowing these young kids to come up like a Carson Williams until they sign a team friendly contract? What say you?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it goes back a long way. Remember when Evan Longoria needed more seasoning and then he signed his extension and he was playing on the on the big league roster the next day. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: I have a tot of guys in the minor leagues, tim that are getting close and without a they just don't have a path to get there, and they keep doing Hassan Kim kind of signings.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, you know, two year deal, Yeah, yeah, ye had I'm just going to say, I've got to raise up because I knew we were going to be talking about them. But you know, when when you look at players like you know, Brandon Lawe, Okay, he signed an extension.
Speaker 1: He was up.
Speaker 2: The only I don't believe Josh loaded or Ell was a trade.
Speaker 1: Kimario has not signed an extension, but it took him forever to get up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it took a while, and I think at some point in time, media and public pressure comes into play. How you keep a guy down like that forever? Yeah, you really, you really can't. It's it's it's it's a game of stubbornness. Does that sort of make sense? You know, we're not going to bring these guys up until it's advantageous for us to do it. And lost in the whole process is the concept of winning baseball games.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it becomes more about just purely the business and maintaining control over these younger players for as long as they can, which again it's tough to do. But where the player like camin Arrow is doing, I think is the right move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would not sign it. I would not sign an extension with the rays of I'm as good as Caminario. I would just yeah, I would try to get out into free agent as soon as it can, because I know I'm gonna leave in four years right, They're not going to keep me if I'm any good. They're not going to pay thirty million dollars a year for anybody.
Speaker 2: No, No, that's that's simply not gonna happen. And you see the same thing with their pitching as as they approach, as they approach, and the closer they get to free agency, well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shame that Clanahan will be moved on, and shame bos and you know you fill in the blank. All those guys, all those guys, you know, they'll just move on. They got about another year or two each one of them. But Clanahan used up his by his time by being hurt. But yeah, it's still County. Is the clock still moving on?
Speaker 2: Well exactly. And you know, as long as you can backfill through your minor league system as a as a strategic floyd, it sort of works. But at the same point time sort of works means you will have a good team, but never a team that contends for a World Series. Yeah, yeah you can. Hey, I think the race with their system will always have good teams, but great teams know, because they won't bring in the missing pieces the top.
Speaker 1: So Hassan Kim is going as a twenty seventh to seven shortstop off the board, which, so the NFC is saying, at least people that are doing through early drafts is nah, he's not coming back until second half at best. Are you buying into that? Are you going to take him a little bit earlier.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm probably going to be looking at hoping he falls a long ways and then I'll pick him up and stash him. But in the NFC, there is nothing to stash because they don't have an IL. So I can see where in the NFBC his value should be driven lower simply because you might have to sit on him for three months on your bench. That's a tough one when you've got no IL. If you've got an IL, it's a different story. Then you can roll the dice fair, but it's fair.
Speaker 1: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with no IL, I wouldn't be looking in an NFBC format. I wouldn't be looking at Hasan Kim except in a draft and hold situation where you should have him for at least half the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Max Shu's are finally signs Timmy over the weekend. He is His ADP is four ninety one fifty nine, so one hundred and forty ninth pitcher off the board. So nobody he's going in the Grant Holmes, Chris Bubick, Reed, Debt Meer's, Calvin Falter, He's going way down. This is a this is a Hall of Fame guy, Tim for fifteen and a half million dollars. So if you've got his pedigree, he's still going to get paid, which he did by the chase. Do you like the signing? What are you expecting of them this season?
Speaker 2: I like the signing. He lost a lot of a lot of time last year because I believe it was a hamstring injury. Okay, And the two drafts I've done this year, I've got yours in both. Oh wow, I drafted I drafted him late. He was still sitting there and I said, no, somebody's gonna somebody's gonna sign him. I think if you can get I think it's possible you could be looking at one hundred and forty to one hundred and fifty innings of mid mid to high three e er. So I'm happy with the signing. Uh, he's not justin verlinder Old, but he's getting up there. But I still think there's one hundred and forty one hundred and fifty innings sitting there.
Speaker 1: He's pretty close to Justin verland er old. I mean maybe a year younger, two years, yeah, year or two Yeah, So I mean it's I think we're splitting hairs. I look, I he could actually last time he was full deep, played full time, it was pretty good. But he is a year or two older since then. And you know, would it surprise you in May if he has another injury and you don't see him again until August.
Speaker 2: No, that wouldn't shock me. But it wouldn't shock me if he was posting a mid mid to high three eer with better than the strikeo ger inning, which I think from the Jay's perspective is what they're looking at, so they can move him at the deadline and try and get something back for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's a good point. I think that's what the bed is there. But yeah, you know, as a number, as a number seven starter, yeah, I'm not disinterested.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The Reds signed Austin Hayes to play left field. It was a small sign. Will Benson was fourteen home runs a sixteen stolen bases last season. Looks like he's probably going to start this season in the minors. He's not a great player, but I think it was one hundred and twenty two games, you know, fourteen to sixteen the full season might have been a twenty two one guy recy Hines, you know, obviously had that magical three or four weeks nowhere to be seen. What do you think about this signing? You have any interesting interest in Austin Hayser, You feel like he's done.
Speaker 2: A very very low interest, you know, maybe for a reserve spot in a re draft league, something along those lines. What it did do, though, is, you know, all of a sudden, Cees is not in the everyday lineup. No, noelvi Marte isn't in the everyday lineup. They got Gavin Lux at DH like Cincinnati is putting the disc in dysfunctional with how they're attempting to do things here, and I personally I don't like it. I really don't. I think they've got some young talent. Why are they Why are they making moves for a for a Gavin Lux when they've got Matt McLean in l A de la Cruz at the middle infield slots? You know, well, why are they not looking at trying to get Cees and Marte into that lineup every day, and every time they bring somebody somebody in like this, it just it just sort of adds to the mess that they're already.
Speaker 1: I thought you're gonna say, makes you remind you of the Colorado Rockies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, they got these kids playing. Yeah, let's do what Strand can do. Let's let's see what Marte can do.
Speaker 1: But I kind of got the Gavin Lux signing because they didn't give up much at all, which, of course the Dodgers will turn that guy into the Hall of Fame pitcher. But uh, I mean, I mean, Gavin Lux has got a pretty good pedigree. He's probably a platoon guy, long term police. He's young with some upside. I Alstin Hayes, I don't get. I mean, why not throw Gavin Lux in the outfield and then put to Cees at d H And aren't you got to be a better team as opposed to Austin? Why you have Austin Hayes out there? I don't get that.
Speaker 2: Well, they're outfield right now, is Hayes? Jake Freeley remember him? And TJ. Friedel?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't instill fear in the hearts of man. I don't think yep, and Candelaria is sitting at third base, well, and get Lux to third base platoon.
Speaker 1: Candelario, I don't know if Lux can play third base. I would put Lux in left field and just say you're you're our strong side platoon guy in left field, and you know, we'll put some other body out there, you know, who's a left right hand at bat that's going to be our weak side platoon. And and then put Noville Marte at third base and move Candelarian. Let's give these guys a shot. I mean, they're pretty high end young players, and maybe they're just pissed at Noville Marte because of the suspension. I don't know, but I mean Cees looked OK. I don't know if he's gonna be great, but at least give him a shot.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, exactly. Yeah. When you start looking, it's just a mess and you gotta somehow find a way to sort it out. Can can Matt McLean play third base?
Speaker 1: I think so Ellie can? I think Ellie's your shortstop, right, I mean, that's that's your marquee guy that you went in the middle of the diamond Yeah, he could definitely play third base, but I think he's gonna play short right, Tim's back?
Speaker 2: You back, Tim, Yeah, Yeah, I'm back. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think Ellie's They're not gonna move him off short short I would. I'd be surprised at that if they move him off shortstop. But they've got to me it's it's Ellie. I think it's Matt McLean for sure, and I guess Heimer Candelary because he's signed. And then I don't. I mean, I don't know who's I think it could be anybody.
Speaker 2: Well, exactly, Like trying to figure out this lineup is almost impossible right now.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would. I'd be staying away from anybody but Leda cruz uh and Matt McClain. I just wouldn't Renova Martee, I like the player. I would not be touching them at all in drafts. Forget about it.
Speaker 2: Yep, I agree. There's just too much uncertainty sitting there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. We've got to get in the middle of spring training to see what happens, who gets hurt and so forth and so on. Timmy gets take a break and we get back. Let's talk about third base.
Speaker 2: Sound good?
Speaker 1: Getting so much great feedback on our as we go through your rankings. People really really liking it. I encourage everybody to join us out at the Patreon site. You get a lot more detail on Tim's rankings. You get them all, you get a chance to look at them online. You get a chance to look at the spreadsheet sheet that I've it to go along with Tim, to take a look at last year's ranking versus this year's ranking, how they relate to where they're going and drafts, and it really highlights timmy those guys that you like a lot more. I mean, you could listen to the narrative on the podcast, but when you can actually look at it and see a big yellow mark next to a guy that Tim likes more than somebody else or doesn't like, I think that it really highlights it.
Speaker 2: Well. Yeah, and I'm definitely not shy about certain players, and hopefully a lot of them will end up on my teams this year. But I think I've got a solid rationale for the ones I like and dislike. And the more detail that you can have, the better off you are. And yeah, I really like the setup that you put together for these rankings, right, It's good.
Speaker 1: That's great and it works really well with your narratives and the process that you put together. So with that, patting ourselves on the back, Timmy's tell me how you're handling third base this season?
Speaker 2: How? I am?
Speaker 1: Okay, so we lost him for seconds. It's tim how are you handling third base? This season?
Speaker 2: Ah? I think if I've got a pick in the top five, I'm not going to pass on Jose Ramires. But for the most part, I'm I'm gonna work. I'm going to work on the the mid areas. I I like, I like Alex bowm oh, I like where he's going in drafts. I like Eugenio Suarez getting down a little bit further. If I want to gamble the guy, I'm probably gonna gamble on his Matt Shaw. Okay, Connor Norby, I like it his current physician, and uh, the more I looked at him, and the more I dug I'm becoming a Jose Chenior fan for a middle Yes, yes, but well, wh when I look at the top the top end, I think I'm going to be spending more time, hopefully focusing on filling out field, and I'm going to make that a little bit more of my priority this year. As compared to third base, there's some there's some solid options when you get down into the middle levels that should provide you with some great numbers. And the surprising thing is a lot of the players from say fourteen fifteen down, a lot of players have third base eligibility this year that normally wouldn't providing you an opportunity to grab some stolen bases a little bit later on if you want to take a different approach to third base. So I'm looking at the I'm looking at the mid tiers rich and there's nothing. There's nothing wrong with the top end. It's just I think with the strategy I'm attempting to employ this year, it's not a big priority to get a third basement early.
Speaker 1: Interesting. So this you brought up so many nuggets in there, and how I would love to talk about Tania and Shawl at the moment, but we're going to wait till we get to them. But I will just comment both of them. There's been talked by both the Nationals and the Cubs a lot about hiring somebody else to play third base, and we're sitting here on February first, and it hasn't happened yet. So I feel like it's just attrition. Are we going to make it to the start of the season and both of those guys are still going to have jobs. But at the moment, anything can happen. At the moment they've got a job.
Speaker 2: Yes exactly, and they both have what I believe to be very very good potential. But then again, you get into a situation. I was sort of looking at Ben Williamson maybe as being an option in Seattle. Okay, well I came crashing down with the Horgate bolanco sign and he's going to play third base. Yeah, okay, so we're still not out of the woods yet, but I would I can see both those teams give those young players an opportunity, and I think they're going to.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine the conversations that these front offices must be having. You know, hey, we really want to We really like Matt Shaw, he's the future there. We think that he could be strong. But you know, Alex Bregman, I mean, the prices come down and it's Alex Bregman and we feel like them. We're the Cubs, we have the money. You can't say that's I can understand the difficulty in making those calls like you want to give the young guy a shot, but yet you know you might get a guy at a discount, and like Alex Bregman could be very very interesting there.
Speaker 2: Yes, I discount would bring him into the one hundred and fifty to two hundred million range. That's still a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Still a lot of money. But I mean if they trade for Nolan Arenado or god forbid, like Anthony were done, then I would be like, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So but let's go, let's go back the top ten's got Jose Ramirez And look, I agree, he was fantastic. It was on my targets this year. He was one of my targets last season, not one of my targets this season for not good for and the only reason is he's old. I mean it's like he's still good. The production looks great, the data looks good on him. But at some point, tim he's not going to be good. And I don't know when that's going to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think any of us know when it's going to be. But I feel fairly.
Speaker 1: You're supposed to know. You're the analyst.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's why you get paid the Big Bucks Maid the Big Bucks. Yeah, I don't think. I don't think this year is going to be the year. I have no concerns with Jose.
Speaker 1: Aram Maris at all.
Speaker 2: He's got six twenty twenty seasons. He's coming off well. It thirty nine home run, forty one stolen bases last year amazing. He's a top five pick, and I think he's I think he's earned it. I have no concerns heading into twenty twenty five. I think this time next year we'll be talking about seven consecutive twenty twenty seasons.
Speaker 1: I looked at Jose Ramirez last year at sixteen point four to three. That was his ADPM, Like, if I'm in, if I'm drafting eleventh twelfth, I'm grabbing him. I feel exactly the same way about Francisco Lindor. It's almost, Yeah, it's almost the exact same scenario. Lindor's ADP is about sixteen. I just think he's the right guy in eleven twelve, just to jump a few slots ahead of time and bring him in because there's really good. It's a similar kind of player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're looking at You're looking at a guy who's basically a pencil in thirty thirty barring injury in the way you go. Yeah, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: With you, And you could also argue that the Guardians going back to Jose Ramirez is Yeah, let's say Kyle Manzardo finally gets a chance to play. He could be pretty good. The launtra could finally could finally see some time if he stays healthy. The louder could finally see some time in the outfield. That could be a much better offense, which is only going to help Jose Ramirez.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been playing a long time much Yeah, by himself. Yeah, I was just I was trying to think of a nice way to say, with as much support as some other elite level players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for as good as Stephen Kuan is, and I think we both like Kwan for who he is. He's not gonna do damage, He's gonna get on base. But they've been just relying on Jose Ramirez and I guess a little bit of Josh Nayler, which they don't have anymore. Tim that's right to knock these guys in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it h definitely I like Ramirez. I probably I probably won't have him rostered in many leagues this year, simply because you got to be in the right spot. Yeah, and based on the early returns I've done too draft and thirteen fourteen, it looks like it looks like it could be one of those back of the back of the first round years early on for me. So yeah, yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you went chalk with with Obviously the NFC, no one's putting anybody in front of Jose Ramirez, I don't think so. Then you've got you've got Austin Riley, Necks, Jazz Chisholm at three, Raphael Devers at four, and then Manny Machata. So a little boring here in the top five. You're going exactly the same as the NFC, except for Riley and Chishlm. Flipped. Does do we see that bounce back season from Austin Riley?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a fractured risk or right hand. They cost him time. I don't see that. I don't see that changing who who he is this year. Based on those three consecutive mid thirty home run years, you know he'll it cost some time he had just like everybody Elson and landing him time dude injury last year. I don't think it's career threatening at all. So I'm anticipating Riley moving back to the Austin Riley when you were in Loved. And the reason I went with him over Chisholm is because I think I value the power from Riley a bit more than the speed from Chisholm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's awful, good line up the Chisholm's inn.
Speaker 2: It definitely is. And the other thing with Chisholm, he's penciled in at second base. It gives him second third ouefield of eligibility. That counts. I still couldn't move him ahead of Riley, though not at this point in time.
Speaker 1: If you like a lot, if you've got you know, you're picking six, fifth to six, something like that, and you take whomever at fifth six and you're coming back, would you jump the line for Austin Riley.
Speaker 2: I'd move them up. I'd move them up five six spots. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you might do that. If you've got an early pick in a draft, take him as your second pick.
Speaker 2: I can see people wanting to do that. The only question that I would raise is, depending on who you took with your first pick, you don't leave Oatfield too long and it would make sense to move Riley up because of the skills. But at the same point in time, if you have to pass up on an outfield an outfielder to do it, you may want to think long and hard about that. Yeah, it all depends on your team build. If you got Soda in the first round, well, you know, I would like to have an outfielder with one of my first two.
Speaker 1: Picks, Raphael Devers. I don't know if it's Devers or Divers. I can't Every time I say his name, I can't remember which one it is. Raphael Devers or Machado. Anything to say about them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, not not really. Hey, yeah, what someone considered to be a down year and it was still a pretty good year. Yeah. If you can get the RBIs back up over the hundred mark, that would definitely help. It was a little last year with eighty three, but he's a good player, very good player.
Speaker 1: Well, Trevor Story is going to be back. You believe, have to believe that Roman Anthony and Kristin Robbins, Christian Campbell, not Robinson Christian Campbell are going to be up at some point. That team's only going to get better and RBI's as you know, are as much about a team statistic as opposed an individual statistic. Get a better team around them, castles will be better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. We're going to see those kids this year. It's gonna be a fascinating year in Boston. They're gonna be an interesting team to watch and see how all those kids fit in and develop it.
Speaker 1: I think it's a team. I think it's a team on the rise, I really do. I think they are set up to be able to move kids at the deadline, to bring up bring in pitching. I like the Red Sox this season. I like him over the next five years too, Yes, as do I. Six to tennis, where it gets interesting. Ten loves himself some junior Campinario. Six up from eight. Jordan Westberg's chalk at seven, Mark Fiento's goes down to Alex Bregman goes at number nine. He is going in the NFBC at twelve. I don't know if has a little bit to do with the fact he hasn't signed yet. And then you got Royce Lewis at number ten, so very interesting. Back ten here, let's start with Royce Lewis. He could be much higher if you could count on him being healthy.
Speaker 2: Right, well, yeah, you just take a look. You know, in twenty three at fifteen homers and two urns, seventeen beats, twenty four, sixteen and two ninety two, he's a thirty home run hit all it's missing his health five hundred beats and he could easily be as high as Mahado. Yeah, I was gonna say, right after Machada, somewhere in that area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, But if you got your spreadsheet going for your for your draft, to mean, there's no way that you can put in thirty home runs for Royce Lewis and say he's going to be five hundred bats, thirty hundred, because he's never done it.
Speaker 2: No of the of the top ten h other than Bregman Nut's not signing. He is, by far, I think, the highest risk of anybody in the top ten in the highest out yeah and highest upside. Yes, I agree.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Junior Caminario. You love Junior camen Area. This season it looks.
Speaker 2: Like, well, yeah, he hits a bullheard, he hits it a lot, he hits it all fields. He's going to be a star. I'm convinced of it. Whether it's this year or next or the year after that. But I can't rule over the thirty one hundred season this year. And I don't know. Did you see that home run he hit in the was it the Dominican?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's going to be in the leaders of hard hit rates and things like that. That guy has tremendous bat speed and strength.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, And he also has the longest and possibly most dynamic home run trot I have ever seen in my life. Man, he was excited when he hit that ball. Man, I just don't see. I've got him higher because I think that's what it's going to take for you to land him. I think the hype is going to build and continue to build, and come Draft Day in March, I hey, I love Jordan Westberg, but Junior Caminero, Yeah, there's there's a little bit more than just love there. I think his hype is going to drive him higher.
Speaker 1: So Laurie and I just bought, uh finally got a replacement for her SUV that was ten years old, eleven years old, so we ran it into the ground. So we bought her a new car before we left uh, North Carolina, And you got the exact same carches newer with all the new technology in it. So uh and they're they're you know, that's funny because the dealership congratulates you congratulations from buying a new car.
Speaker 3: I'm like, why, I mean, like, I didn't win anything, Like I just I bought something. I paid you money for it. I paid you probably more money than I should have. Why do you congrat you should congrat your congratulate yourself for ripping me off.
Speaker 1: I was, yeah, Graula, yeah exactly. It's kind of weird. But anyway, you get those surveys that I'm sure you've gotten this emailed surveys somewhat agree either neither disagree, agree, some would disagree, really disagree, and so forth. So Junior Caminario really agree with this, don't agree, somewhat disagree. You know, one of those things. He'll play full time and not be demoted to the minor leagues. Fully agree, so he's up all season. Yes, okay, yeah, I hope you're right. I think you're right. I think you're right.
Speaker 2: Well, if they if they want, if they want to fill the seats at Steinbrener Stadium, they better have them.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right there, Steinbrener forgot about that. That's right. Wow. Yeah, Jordan Westberg, anything to say about Joe rh Is he going to build on that season had last season?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I'm sticking sticking to my guns. I think he's a twenty five of them are eighty five RBI type player, and I think we're gonna we could very well see it this year. I like Westbrook a walk.
Speaker 1: Do should I read anything into Mark Fianto's being down to slots except you just like Junior campin area more.
Speaker 2: That's all you need to read into it. Yeah, I think the upside, The upside is higher with Junior than it is with Brianto's. And that's basically I moved Kemin Arrow up to cover that.
Speaker 1: If Bianto's gets first base eligibility and they don't resign Pete Alonzo, that only helps his profile, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're looking at You're looking at one year of third base elgency for Vianjo's this year. I don't see Pete Alonzo heading back to New York at all. I think that is that's done like dinner. So Viantos has got the first base job and we see what shakes down at third.
Speaker 1: True or false? Alex Redman will sign before this time, in two weeks before everybody reports.
Speaker 2: False.
Speaker 1: Really wow.
Speaker 2: I think he wants a long term, big buck deal, and I don't know if they're at the stage well where they'll look at a one or two year deal and take it. So I'm i'm I'm I'm thinking he might he might be sitting for a while.
Speaker 1: So my dad grew up as a farmer, Tim, I don't know if you've ever heard this expression, so a group as a farmer. So I know a lot about gardening and farming, unfortunately, because that's what my dad knew. And I know a lot of stupid phrases that he used to utter all the time. And he always said, you can't bleed a turn up. So have you ever heard that expression? I'm not sure the money is there.
Speaker 2: I'm not either, But it's not whether we believe it, it's whether Alex Bregman believes it. I think he's searching for something that's not going to happen, and until they determine that to be the reality, I think he'll continue pursuing what he has to this point in time. So if you're.
Speaker 1: Concerned that he's going to sign on time, and you've already said, you're really really disconcerted if a guy hasn't signed before they report. Why do you like Bredman three slots higher than the NFBC.
Speaker 2: I think the NFBC I've taken the opposite approach. The NFBC likes him even less than I do. Well, when I look at who is behind him, Royce Lewis, can you count on Royce Lewis? No? Okay, Alex Baum is a nice player, one that I like a lot, But you're looking at a fifteen to twenty home run sort of guy. Okay, Sworez, there's batting average concerns. I think when you look at you know, from Chapman through to Bregman in that in that other than Lewis, I still like Alex Bregman a bit better than I like Boems forres Chapman, and I'd like Lewis Moore if you can stay on the field. So I don't underst I who have they moved up in the NBC ahead of Bragman.
Speaker 1: Uh, let's see, Well that's a tough one. I haven't sorted it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just looking just looking at some of the.
Speaker 1: Soman is going, you've got him going ninth he's going twelve. So in front of that may be Royce Lewis. Matt Chapman is ahead, Jake Berger is ahead of where Bregman is gone. I think you're a little low one, Matt Chapman. Matt Chapman's boring. But as you right, I mean, it's just three of the last four seasons hit twenty seven home runs. I mean, yeah, it's pretty cheap powered. The guy can play. I know you don't like the park he's playing, and it's a pretty good player.
Speaker 2: Still, yeah, he's a pretty good player. The problem, Matt Chapman is you got to be prepared for the uh, for the inevitable. I didn't do anything in the month of May and August syndrome. Chapman streaky, Yeah, big, big, big time streaky. And I'm I'm just I'm just not as bullish on Chapman and Burger as I am on Bragman. I think overall talent favors Bragman. But you could you can rank in that area, you can rank them. They all come, they all come with various wards.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break. Let's take a break, Tim and come back. And I agree with you on bre On Burger, and Uh, we're gonna get to him in a second. Tim has already told you he likes salac Baum. He's got coming in at number eleven, Juhinio Suarez at twelve, Matt Chapman at thirteen. Uh, fourteen is Jake Berger, my buddy, and Tim's pretty good pal Michael Garcia. Number sixteen is Lewis Rahiefo. Number seventeen is Max Munsey, Number eighteen is Isak Claridas. Number nineteen is Josh and number twenty Nolan Aaron. I remember when he was really good, Tim, No, it's.
Speaker 2: One of the advantages of being a little okay, you forget things quick.
Speaker 1: Look it's good at Jack, it's good did Jake Berger? Look he's one dimensional, Timmy. He hits a lot of home runs.
Speaker 2: Right. The RBI totals I've mentioned in my narrative should come up this year now that he's got an offensive around him. But yeah, he's got one season. It's a Bowl along way. That isn't enough for me to move him, to move him up to the list. Yeah, I know the NFBC folk love it, and hey, good for them, but I I am. I am much happier with Alex Bohm and Suarez than I am with that one dimensional power I see from Burger.
Speaker 1: Make your case for Alex Bohm being as high as he.
Speaker 2: Is ninety seven RBI's the past two years of two eighty two seventy four and another to eighty batting average over the past three years. He's not going to give you the big raw power, but he's in a good lineup. And I see another ninety to one hundred arbis with a good batting average there. I'll take the fifteen home runs to get those other two qualities.
Speaker 1: Rich Wilson's calling in from We have a caller, Tim rich Wilson from New Jersey. Oh okay, Hi, Tim, I listened to you all the time. You're much smarter than that other guy that you're with. So over under ten home runs from Mike cal Garcia this season over, Thank you, Thank you, I love you. Mister mccleough, go Canada Mail.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I think ten to twelve somewhere in that range.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, if that comes with twenty five stolen bases, I'll take that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It could come with thirty five yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And and that's where it's starting and second base eligibility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, we got Garcia with second base eligibility. We've got Rinifo with second base eligible. They can both run, they can steal you some bases. And you get further down the list and you get Willie Castro and Jose Cavallero and Tapa. There's some stolen bases at third base. And when you're looking at your team build, depending on how you've got things constructed, you could go in a number of different ways. At third base. You could say, Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna move I'm gonna move Willy Castro up around just so I can have those late stolen bases at third base. And depending on how you've built your team, that could work perfectly fine. You've got some options at third base this year. When it comes into looking at the whole of your team construction, I find that fascinating.
Speaker 1: The thing that continues to bother me about mckel garcia. I think the data points the more power that dude has got to stop like swinging at everything. I mean, the walk rate is just awful. And what's gonna happen to him? Two things, One is he's gonna be pushed down the lineup, which I think has already certain to happen or too. He'll be dfa'd when he starts to get expensive, and then then from a long term Dynasty League kind of perspective, he becomes a dice he owned. So it's all about him his chase rate and getting just starting to walk a little bit more, be a little bit more selective at the plate.
Speaker 2: Totally agree. He's playing in Kansas City, right, Yeah? Are they? Are they gonna a Bobby Wit type contract with with with the with the background that we can see when we go to stats. No, it's not gonna happen, is it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody's getting a Bobby Wit type contract, but he might get a long term deal if he shows a little bit more play patients.
Speaker 2: So and he's young, so twenty four, yeah, that can change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, But the question is he coachable? Is you know all that kind of stuff, which is a little bit disconcerned because you don't want to make the guy passive. So there, you know, as you go through this instructional process, and I hear this a lot because I talk to a lot of guys and organizations, and it is probably the most challenging aspect of the player development process is getting an aggressive guy to become a little bit more selective and getting a passive guy to become more aggressive, because it's so easy to tack too far the other way and totally mess up the players approach and guys organizations struggle with this all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because once you undo something, to get it back to the do stage is not an easy process and it's very time consuming. It is, so yeah, if if you err at this part of the program, the costs could be enormous. That's really good.
Speaker 1: Essek Paratus is definitely down from where was last season as one eighty four. I thought people ever drafted him, and he's back down to where he probably needs to be. Timmy, he's a good player, not a great player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree. I do like the fact that he's he's going to be playing in the two hole this year. I think the run score number could be up a little bit, but I think he's a twenty home run bad.
Speaker 1: Josh Young was a You were a big proponent of Josh Young last season, and are you sourying a little bit, just a little tired of can't stay healthy? Well?
Speaker 2: It would be nice to see a full season. Yeah, when you can count the injuries incurred on not one but two hands over the past three or four years, that's not a good sign. It is not no And you know, if you take a little bit of a look at some underlying stats, he's he's a pretty much free swinging sort of guy. I don't think the batting average. I think it's gonna be pressure on the batting average. But the big thing is he's got he's gonna stay on the field, and he hasn't. He hasn't done it thus far. So you know, how do you, hey, Josh Josh Young could be a top fifteen third base type, but he's got to do it, and thus far it just hasn't happened.
Speaker 1: Twenty one through thirty, Tim's got Matt Shaw seven higher than the NFC. Tim will explain himself in a few minutes. Conder Norby. Tim's starting to build the statue in front of his house. I'm a little surprised that he's chalked with the NFC at twenty two, but he is. Willie Castro at twenty three, Jose Cavaleria up twenty four, Ryan McMahon at twenty five, Matt Verlin, Rich Wilson big fan of Matt Verling at twenty six, Dylan Moore plays Everywhere at twenty seven, Joey Ortiz at twenty eight, My Guy Temp nine up, finally starting to see the light with Jose Teenya at twenty nine, in Heimer Candelaria at thirty ten. Make the case for Matt Shaw.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, Matt show, Here's here's here's case. Match is twenty twenty four, minor league numbers, twenty one home runs, thirty one stolen basis. That's my case with world kids got a world of talent if the Cubs, If he gets and wins the job, the upside there is huge.
Speaker 1: Would you be ballsy enough to make him your starting third basement in your draft?
Speaker 2: If I was going to gamble, Yes, so you.
Speaker 1: Would take Matt Shaw as your third base and then backfill him with somebody that you know is going to get at bats in case it blows up on you.
Speaker 2: Who would that be exactly?
Speaker 1: Oh, don't say Ryan Man, or you'll be off the show. No, no, no, Well, I'm sorry that was too much of a threat.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think I'd rather have Jim Okay, I would look at somebody in Nolan Ernado. Ah maybe yeah, No, I can't do It would have to be somebody fairly safe and boring. Jose Miranda. Maybe I k F I might be able to get I might be able to get teen you there and double down on my gam like Jo.
Speaker 1: That would be fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Joey Orchies is a very He's going late enough you could probably pick up Ortiz and uh, I start of like Joey Orchies. Yeah, he's his glove's going to keep him on the field.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: He's not going to ask you for huge power or he'll steal some basses for you. But I would want to pair him up with somebody that I felt was going to minimal risk okay of not being of not playing Ortiz fits I build you a tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ortiz is a ten ten kind of guy I think with a chance to be at twelve, twelve, fifteen to fifteenth type player. Yeah, I think there could be. But I I if Matt Schoff we get closer to I don't know, the let's call it, let's call it open when catchers and pictures report. Uh, if we start to get to that point and Bregman a sign elsewhere I'm moving Matt Shaw up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's a good I think that's a good call. Right now is ADP's at what three twenty one? Which is what twentieth round? Twenty first round?
Speaker 1: It's right there that next column, right next to a twenty second round.
Speaker 2: Too, ah, twenty second. Well, the things you notice when you told them, God damn.
Speaker 1: Do that little first line that says round the title. Damn, damn, damn.
Speaker 2: I'm doing all these calculations. Okay, note to self, need more coffee before doing podcasts in the morning. Yeah, no, I you know where you're looking at currently. You move Matt Shop into the two eighty range, you're gonna get him right now. Yeah, yeah, I don't have any problems with doing that. You're talking after the seventeenth, eighteenth round. Anything you do right there's risk yep and the rewards potentially on a player like Matt Shah are such that I'm willing to take the risk.
Speaker 1: Why isn't Connor Norby a top ten third basement for you? Now? You talk about them.
Speaker 2: All the time, because there are players I like better than Connor Norby. As much as I hate to say it. Yeah, I like Connor Norby. He's going to be on a few of my teams. I like the upside, but there's it's Miami that definitely has suppressed his value a bit because it's fair. Yeah, when you look at Miami's offense, it's offensive. I like Norby, but I'm not going to and I don't think you have to overpay as a corner infield type.
Speaker 1: If you get caught out and you look back to your team and you're sitting in sixteen seventeenth, eighteenth round and are short on short on stolen basis, do you start to then target Willie Castro or and or Jose Cavalerio. Uh, yeah, for a corner infielder.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I Again, if I'm caught out and I'm strong, I think I'd like Castro a little better.
Speaker 1: And both of them have multi position eligibilities second base, shortstop, outfield for Willie Castro and Cavalario's second base and shortstop and third base. Those guys are pretty valuable.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are. They aren't my initial targets, but if it shook down that I had to have one of the two of them to make things work, yeah, I'd definitely give them a look.
Speaker 1: Hose eighteen is one of my guys, Simmy. It's good to see that he's in the top thirty. Here, Tim writes a little pop, a little speed and supporting hard hit rates and sprint speeds and sport better than we've seen so far. Tina makes an intriguing option deeper formats. I couldn't have said it better, my friend. As long as he as long as they don't hire Bregman or somebody else, I'll Jose eighteen has got a chance to to really return value here.
Speaker 2: Totally agree. What's his ADP right now? Five? Yeah, let me let me to come up with thirty six.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask you like I went round him, but he beat me to the punch.
Speaker 2: My Avoca says, way too much mileage on that today.
Speaker 1: Rich, good stuff to me. It's take a break and start to pop around these last thirty six.
Speaker 2: You have.
Speaker 1: I spent the last few days ten knows because we talked, we gonna we talked with day? Did we talk Wednesday?
Speaker 2: I think it was Wednesday? Yeah, it was a day. Yeah, it was the day before you were heading out Friday.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Foolishly, I decided to do another Dynasty League with our Patreon members, and we had so much interest. I was able to do two leagues, which is double foolishly and that gives me now twelve Dynasty leagues, which is totally insane. And the draft starts tomorrow night at seven pm, four hour slow draft on fan Tracks. Everybody, you know, if your fan tracks is great, it's so easy to set up, and I encourage you all to go out uh fantracks dot com Prospect three sixty one, sign up with fan Tracks. You won't be disappointed. And you can sign up to received to get in the into a raffle, to get a a jersey of Blad Junior. They're big sponsors of ours, and we love what fan tracks does. One of the things I like, Tim Tim calls and I what did I say? Tim? What am I doing?
Speaker 2: Why? Why?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Tim says what. I pick up the phone. It's Tim. How's it going? Tim?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: He goes, I go, guess what I'm doing? Tim? Ranking players? So I had to rank I mean hundreds of players, but I got to go through this draft, Timmy. And you know, Dynasty League draft is much different than a regular draft, and you know you can't use the rankings there so I've had to rank everybody, and I was able with fan Tracks do all in a spreadsheet and then pop that spreadsheet up into there to have my rankings there. So I'm pretty excited about that.
Speaker 2: But does it look good?
Speaker 1: What's that your ranking?
Speaker 2: Once you try? Once you migrated them into fan tracks.
Speaker 1: That's perfect. Yeah, everybody, everybody that except for Jung Ho Lee goes up in there. Jung Holy off last season. He's not going in this season. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't get it, because you have to you have to have the team and the name, the player's name is spelled correctly. As long as you have that, and I have spelled Jung Ho Lee's name every which way, I can't. It just won't accept it period in the statement. So I guess they won't be drafting Young holy So because he's not on my rankings.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was gonna say he's not on your radar now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So what happens is it's it's like doing your own rankings, which you would go in manually do that. It just replaces it. And let's say you put in a list of three hundred names, Well, the three hundred first name becomes the next highest ranked player from fan.
Speaker 2: Tracks, okay, which is sort of good. You can see where there's discrepancies and it might be cause for you to re evaluate some of your thought processes.
Speaker 1: Right that is that is correct, And you can also switch between the two. You can have my rankings and then you can switch over to the fan tracks rankings if you want to see what they have. And then once I get towards the back of it, then I'll slurp up all the prospects you know, all the you know, so then i'll have you know when I'm in the prospects probably only type of then I'll just slurp all the prospects in and have those rankings in there. So it works up. There's a lot of sophistication in there. But Timmy, I could be crazy that I'm doing two more dynasty leagues. It might be too much for me.
Speaker 2: We'll see, could be. Do I get a vote? That's that's insane. Rich. I wish you're well with it, but man, that's a lot of work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's gonna be fun drafting to me. So I think I'm drafting six to one league in twelfth or so in another league, so I don't know if I'm going to go. You know, I wrote a note to everybody just giving them some thoughts and these dinings of league startups. I mean, you've got to make the decision, and usually the draft will dictate do you want to go really young and play for a championship in you know, two to four years, or do you want to go for it now and know that your team's going to stink in two to four years. So I mean you need to if you play it in the middle, that's tough position to be in, right, you know, don't try to play both sides of it. So you know, we'll see how the.
Speaker 2: Worst spot you can be in in a dynasty league, in my opinion, is a mid BAC team. That's right, You're not going down. Congratulations, you've now finished six five years in a row. Yeah, your reward for that is probably a rebuild.
Speaker 1: Which is tough. I mean, it's rebuilds are really tough. So so I just told everybody, Look, if you decide to go young, don't bail after the first year when you got a thirteenth place team, because that's what you drafted for. And also, you know, if you draft the team to win now and you let's see you get in the money. Don't quit after the third year when your team stinks. You know, it's like you're going to probably pick one of the other path and we'll see what what happens. And I just think it's fascinating. We're talking about Rafael Devers and there's kind of they will drop. I mean they won't go as high as Roman Anthony will go up in front of Rafael Devers.
Speaker 2: He just will Andcot and Bissello and yeah, they're gonna see huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're gonna go way before, Like Michael Trout will go in the tenth round and you're gonna be going, oh my god, like what is happening here? It's Michael Trout or not. Michael Trout could go on the fifteenth. It's gonna be crazy stuff and and and so so I also wrote like your emotions are gonna take over. You're gonna see these famous players that are really good, and you go, when do I draft them? No one knows, just it. That's what's fun on these drafts. I mean, these guys will sit at the top of the queue and why aren't they going they're good players? Well, because you want Roman Anthony, Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Junior Cavnaro a first round pick.
Speaker 1: Probably, yes, probably, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's a different world, it is.
Speaker 1: It's Jackson Cheerio a top five player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, No. I totally agree though, with what you were saying as far as building your team, if you're committing to a couple of years out, you got to be very very careful that you don't get caught up. And this guy has fallen so much. I got to take him. I got to hey him. No, you got a plan, stick to your plan. It's when you start deviating from that plan ten rounds into a draft, did you end up in a real mess, because then you don't have either either You've got or and that's not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Our friend Tim Webber, who's plays a lot of time, so he's a really good player. By the way, one DL four against me and I had a great team and he just blew rock pass. So I hate him now. But he's got a team that he drafted last season and he went boss to the wall man. He went Junior Cambinario, Jackson Cheerio, Dylan Sees not Dylan Cruz. I don't know who log but he went like the first ten rounds, he went really really young, and his team stunk, and all of a sudden, you look at it this season and go, wow, that's a good looking team. So your fortunes can change very very quickly in this format.
Speaker 2: Yes, they surely, surely can give me a second.
Speaker 1: I have to let beans out of here. So he's tired of doing the podcast with the Stimmys saying we're going too long.
Speaker 2: He wants to play catch.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's what time is? Eleven twenty two. Yeah, they're both probably sitting out in the living room with the balls and their mouths waiting for me to throw the ball. So all right, Timmy, let's bounce around here. Thirty one. Let's see Jace Young? Is that thirty five? Tell me what you think about Jay Young, Josh Young's little brother.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot to like. We haven't seen any of the big league levels, so I think in regraft leagues. Yeah, he's a reserve round target.
Speaker 1: Should I bust your chops about Anthony Rendon up twenty seven slots over the NFBC. Ah, you could, but I'm assuming he's there because he has a full time job.
Speaker 2: That's exactly why he's there. Exactly, the NFFC is just staying totally away from him.
Speaker 1: You can't blame them, Tim, No, Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't blame I can't blame them. No, Am I targeting Anthony Rendo rendome because I've got him twenty seven spots hired? No, I'm not targeting Anthony Rendo, but he could hit twenty homers and driving needy runs. Yeah, Am I gonna bet no? But I think the fact that he's got the job has to come into play at some point in time.
Speaker 1: After the top thirty. It's boring. I'm just gonna say flat out, there's a lot of There's a lot of except for a couple of names, and that comes in at number thirty nine with Noville Marte and number forty four if Kobe Mayo. Yes, I know you're a little bit lower on them than the NFBC, and I get it because there's doesn't appear to be a path for both of for either one of these guys. But exactly, they're pretty good baseball players. Is it would you take a Campbell in the draft and hold on these guys or is it it just just gonna stay away.
Speaker 2: Uh no, I'm I'm I'm definitely not staying away. I've got Marte in one of my I drafted him last fall in the xfl MM. I like the talent, I like the potential. But at the same point in time, what guarantees do we have right now? None?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Reds could decide his pendance for last year is going to be served this year as well, right, and he could sit down on a farm all year, couldn't he?
Speaker 1: He could? What about Kobe Mayo, I mean, obviously he's he's blocked two ways to particularly if Jackson Holiday gets off to a strong start. But that's a guy's a good player and he has nothing left to prove in the minor leagues.
Speaker 2: No, he doesn't. But uh it's breaking breaking cam. I can't see a way that he makes a roster and Holiday doesn't barring injury. Yeah, So we sit back and wait. And it's not that I don't like Kobe Mayo. Uh I, there's there's a good they're not a good chance. There's a chance that he makes my waiver wire depending on what happens to Jackson Holiday. But I'm all in on Jackson Holiday. So how do I rank Kobe Mayo, Mayo up much higher than where he's at. I also noticed that I sort of like the kid in Pittsburgh a fair a bit too. Uh what is it, Triola?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Why why do you like anybody in Pittsburgh? Uh?
Speaker 2: Because Paul Skeens needs needs somebody you like other than posts Pittsford Bence I like to get. I think he's got potential. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: But so I just double checked on roster resource just to make sure before I suggest this. Okay, Edgie Rosario still has a job as we sit here on February first, and just like with Jose Tinya and Matt Shall, longer he has a job, the more interesting he gets at the draft table.
Speaker 2: I agree, because again, right now we're hearing rumors that the Padres are looking at moving cease and I can't remember who else it is. Yeah, a lot of these, a lot of the kids in San Diego might get opportunities. And should he get an opportunity, there's definitely some skills there. So I wouldn't I wouldn't leave him off your.
Speaker 1: Radar, particular for draft on old leagues.
Speaker 2: Yes, especially in drafting whole leagues, because again, Hey, if the podteris go with, hey, there's a no field a otfielder there that I like a lot in Churso.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the same scenario.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, exactly. Yeah, you know, these players have some skills, it's just where they're San Diego sticks to the plan. It looks like the plan might be dumping some salary this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and these guys might get a shot. They just might get a shot. There's nobody in the minor leagues that's going to take it over. Yeah, they could sign a three million dollar outfielder or a three million dollars in field or to take every one of these slots. But why not see if Terso or Nelius or you get Eggie Rosario could play.
Speaker 2: Well, then Hey, the potteries have never been trying about giving young kids opportunities. They've pushed people through their miners in the past. Well, they got a couple that you're just sitting there, right, They could give them that shot.
Speaker 1: All right, Tammy, let me give you the hard questions here. Yeah, okay, what play or not in the top ten currently will be there next season?
Speaker 2: Not in the top ten.
Speaker 1: So you go to number eleven and you look down.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm still I'm still mystified by the rowins here.
Speaker 1: I think the calculating, I think the calculation is right. I don't just you're mystified because you didn't realize it was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like that. I'm gonna I'm gonna go with I'm gonna go with Michael Garcia, whoa w easy picks would be Boomer and Suarez. But I'm gonna go down a little bit further and go with Garcia.
Speaker 1: Hey, man, if that guy hits fifteen eighteen home runs, yes, the answer is yes, he's gonna jump up. So yeah, I love it. Tim, all right, which which guy? And it can't be Jazz Chisholm. He might lose third base eligibility. You gotta tell me somebody else that's gonna drop out? Uh or Venta is probably gonna lose third base eligibility.
Speaker 2: Yeah he loses. Well, Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna go with ry Lewis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gotta be m m because yeah.
Speaker 2: He's got to have a season where he gets in five hundred plus at bats. He just has to be at some point in time. If he doesn't get that, are you gonna take the chance next No, no, it's.
Speaker 1: It's it's Byron Buckson all over again. And Byron Buckson is going I think his ADPs in the four or five hundreds, now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's just yeah, after the thrill is gone, right, Yeah, for sure, Ryce Lewis is at that stage after.
Speaker 1: The thrill is gone. That's an eagle song, right it is?
Speaker 2: Okay, I believe Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think so. Yeah. Uh, Junior camin Area. Could Junior came in Area become a top three third baseman.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, I could see. I could see him next year potentially being as high as the number two off the board. If he goes thirty one hundred this year with a strong batting average, that puts him in a discussion to be a top five player at third base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna say, hose eighteen, you becomes a first a starting third baseman this time next year he's going to be in the top fifteen at least.
Speaker 2: Bold But yeah, there's a lot of skills there. Whether they come to the fore next year or the year after, who knows. But he does have the When you start looking at the group from twenty to thirty, the guys that have got the huge upside or guys tana uh Matt Shaw. Yeah, yeah, if Matt Shaw explodes onto the scene, he could move up in a hurry, a real real quick hurry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just to just to let everybody know. So it's a teena again, very small sample size. Average ex velocity was ninety one point two miles an hour, ranks in the eightieth percentile. Heard it rates ninety percentile. Sprint speed rates seventy first percent of the other thing they struggles with just like Michael Garcia, he swings at everything, so.
Speaker 2: But he's also very he's also very young.
Speaker 1: He's very twenty three years old. So but there's and if.
Speaker 2: They don't bring anybody in, that means they're committing to him for the long term, and that provides a little bit of security, I think to the individual himself and for us in the fantasy game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it's all up to him. It's I think if we'll know the kind of player he is by June first, and so will they Washington Nationals, and it's either going to work or it's not. But he walked a little bit more when he was in the minor leagues. But just so everybody knows and you know twenty twenty four, eighteen home runs, fifteen stolen bases to eighty seven batting average with a twenty six percent strikeout right in a seven point six percent walk rate. It's a pretty good baseball player.
Speaker 2: Yes he is.
Speaker 1: Okay, Timmy, give me a couple of sleepers.
Speaker 2: A couple of sleepers. Connor Narby. Yeah, great, there's there's one I like going down a little bit further. Bret Red baby, baby.
Speaker 1: Really, that's interesting. We didn't talk about him. So is it going to be with the Mets though?
Speaker 2: H I would I would think so. They're looking. They're looking at giving him a pretty good audition, I think this year and it will. I think whatever happens this year will shape his future as a member of the Mets. And again, if you're looking at deeper leagues, hey, he's in contention for the third base job in New York. It's not like he didn't have a lot of potential or wasn't highly thought. It's thought of. So yeah, I started like him.
Speaker 1: Let's see third base is so they got him in. They roster resources that got him penciled in at third base.
Speaker 2: Who do they have in there?
Speaker 1: Brett Batty.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, sorry, Yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Got Viento's at first base. I mean, I guess if Pete Alanza resigns, then Viena's goes back to third base, and then it's probably Synaro to Brett Batty. But uh yeah, and in the infield they've got competing Lewis Angallicunya, who could you know take over for Brett Baddie as possibility. I think Baddie is alt got more impact potential, right, So, and then you know it's it's not all that deep at third base, it's probably one of those two players.
Speaker 2: Right. So one of the guys that I am going to be watching very very carefully this year because of his debut last year was Cam Smith.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, I I don't think we're going to see him this year, but again, after that debut, there's there's a player that definitely has my attention moving forward.
Speaker 1: And Cam Smith got moved to Houston Astros just so everybody remembers. So now the probably the I still like Jacob Melton probably a little bit more, but Cam Smith is probably know probably a top prospect in that organization now and I'm going to destroy out Kobe Mayo. I don't know what happens, but at some point, I mean the he's got to be freed. I mean it's if if Jackson Holiday blows up, and because Jackson Holliday and who's at first base? They still got Ryan Montcastle, right, so he's playing first base. If there's no room, I mean, the Oriels are going to have to move Kobe Mayo at some point or he's going to start to lose value. So I think we're going to see a Kobe Mayor resolution either getting a chance in Baltimore at some point or moved.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Maybe they'll trade to Miami for Edward Caberra.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right, another guy that goes to goes to the minor leagues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Sorry a little snarky there?
Speaker 1: Many how many more years is Ryan mont Castle? It's only twenty eight years old. But seeing his last year of his contract, I can I can look that up very arbit tration contract one year, it's only six point eight million dollars, service time four point one two. So he's got he's got one more year. He's got two years left of team control. So yeah, I holding on to Kobe Mayo. When you got Sam Sam Bassalo up behind him potentially as a first basement or Kobe Mayo just might be a tweener for the for the Orioles and he gets moved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's entirely possible, and I would like to you know, I know Basella is very young, but at some point in time they got a decision to make there.
Speaker 1: M hm, what about what about the Padres and the Orioles hooking up for Dylan Cees. Move Kobe Mayo. That's Kobe Mayo takes over for third base going into the season and Dylan Cees becomes, you know, your number one two starter for Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Makes sense the Os need a pitcher. Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, that makes struggle sense.
Speaker 1: Dylan Sees might not be high on their list just because he walks too many guys, but that's just the way it is, all right. See what else? Uh, so give me a couple of sleepers and he give me a guy maybe too, that you're just going to avoid drafting at the top of the list.
Speaker 2: Here at the top of the list guys.
Speaker 1: That I Royce Lewis, I'm assuming is one of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Royce Lewis is a definite uh, going down a little bit further. Jake Berger doesn't enthrow me at all. Yeah, he just doesn't. And the other guy that I am definitely one hundred percent staying away from his Heimer Candelario. Why so well, he's in Cincinnati. Okay, They've got so much strong young talent. You know, Candelaria is going to need four hundred and fifty plus at Batch to generate another twenty home run season. I think there's a good chance that he doesn't get to that level. I just don't want to, you know. You know, at some point in time, Strand's gonna have to enter into the pitcher, as is Marte, I would hope, and it's just crowded, and I think iimer Candelaria to generate that twenty Their twenty home run season is gonna need at Beats. I don't think he's gonna get it, so I'm not going anywhere near. The other guy that I won't touch is Christopher Morrell. Home run potential is fantastic. How much is he gonna play it? Yeah, No, it's just.
Speaker 1: Somebody one of our Patreon members wrote wrote me a note about the Tampa Bay Rays, I think, publicly saying that they were changing their approach to developmental and we're looking for more more guys with power and as opposed to plate discipline. So it's interesting. I need to follow up with that, you know, with that member to find out to dig a little bit more into it. That's definitely if you look at the profiles of the players and the guys that are acquiring, Yeah, they they want more of the junior cambon Areos and morels, the guys that got big time power and you don't care so much about getting on base. So it's pretty interesting philosophy change if true.
Speaker 2: Right, the other guy that I won't touch for the ten FO Bowls, Nolan Aaron Adam. Yeah, no, I'm not going to buy Nolan or you know, invest in Nolan Aaron not on in the fifteenth, fourteenth, fifteenth round.
Speaker 1: It's no just I think he's he's just there if you if you get caught out and just need some guy that's going to get you fifteen sixteen home runs and a decent batting average and that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if i I'll look at moving match up Connor Norby.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of other Ryan McMahon perfectly boring. I don't know I've no, I'll pass on Ryan McMahon. I've seen and I've seen enough of the best of McMahon and it's not good enough. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought he'd be better than what he turned out. He just he just never really developed the power. I mean, it's in Colorado. You should have more power than twenty pop. I just just baffling.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so you know, I I don't think there's any surprises with my stay away from list.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. Well, so we run out time. Let's take a break and come back and wrap this puppy up. We usually take a break between the infield and the outfield because it's longer, So maybe Tim needs an extra week put the outfield together if we can finally squeeze in this fantasy questions of the Al West. But I'm not going to get to it today, Tim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, I get to use the control C and control V thing again.
Speaker 1: There you go. What are your final final thoughts on third base before we wrap it? Wrap it up?
Speaker 2: I think the thing that I find the most intriguing with third base this year the number of different ways and directions one can head. Okay, there's a pretty solid, solid group of power hitting third baseman. It tails off reasonably quick. But the thing that intrigues me, or that Michael Garcia is with the speed reniefel uh. You know, going further down the list and looking at Willie Castro Dylan Moore, you've got some third base eligible players that provide you something that you don't normally see a lot of a third base and the stolen bases. So I think you can realistically take a look at third base from any number of different positions and make it work. And I find that very fascinating and intriguing. I really do.
Speaker 1: I want to see how I handled h third base. I can't remember now, it's been several months since I wrote this at see starting pitching outfield third base can't drafts. I think I'm waiting. Yeah, yeah, I said, I suggested. I'm waiting a little. I'm kind of with Tim.
Speaker 2: Well, Hey, I'd love to and your camin Arrow on my team. But yeah, by the time draft day rules around, yeah, the price on them could be outrageous. You know, Manny Machado's perfectly boring candidate at third base. He just goes out and gets it done year after year. But again, it's all going to depend on your team building, how you want to construct your team, and there's a lot of options that are different that we don't normally see at third base this year. And that I said that intrauce me.
Speaker 1: My targets were drafting hold leagues were Jose Teenya, Matt Shaw, and Jase Young.
Speaker 2: And how many of them did you get? Do you remember?
Speaker 1: Uh? Definitely got TINYA. I don't think I got anybody else. I believe I got uh. So I here's here's my my target's mid bitpack of course, Michael Garcia, love, Matt Chapman, right, Alex Bregman, so, Alec Baum, so all the guys that you brought up, Joey Ortiz, Matt Vierling, Who'm a big fan of. So yeah, those are some of my targets that I put in there. So yeah, kind of in line with where you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Hey, I love the elite talent up top. But I think it depends on how you want to construct your team. And for me, I've been through a couple of drafts now and I went outfield early in one and I went outfield late in the other. I like one a lot more than the other. When I look at my final roster. Yeah, a lot more outfield. Is it gets ugly, real ugly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wrote my first sentence here is you can't draft every position in the first three rounds. So it's like a truism, right, It's like want Jose Ramirez, I want one Soto, I want you know, it's like you can't have them all. So I guess when it's second round, a lot of those guys obviously aren't going to be there. The same happens, so so you have to do you have to pick a position late at some point you do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's just so many positions available. Yeah, and trying to minimize the hurt when you don't have this, you know, for say, a strong traditional type of third basement or first basement. Yeah. Say, at the end of the day, the bottom line is what you have when you're finished with your twenty three active spots and your reserve rounds, and it's it's a total package. And again, I can't stress how important it is to look at team construction, you know, and and and build your team in the best possible manner that you can. And like you said, you're not going to get them all. You just have to pick and choose where it's advantageous for you personally with your build.
Speaker 1: All Right, somebody calling me from Atlanta, Georgia. I wonder that is Tim probably trying to sell me insurance products.
Speaker 2: No, I know exactly who it is. Used a new car, right, Yeah, how was your warranty? So? May I may?
Speaker 1: I mayo opine on that. Can I know Pine about the extended warranties?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you may, I'm curious to hear this.
Speaker 1: So, so we bought the car. We paid cash for. First of all, it's impossible to buy a cheap car. I don't know how people do it. I mean, the cars are freaking expensive. So we paid, We paid cash for the car, and then they send me this list of all the add ons I could get. It was ten thousand dollars and ship I could Pine put on top of the car. I'm like, one of them was what I don't know if they called it something you put on the outside of the inside of the car that makes a ceramic something that costs like three grand that would make it like like perfectly shine for the five years you you know. I'm like, I don't need that. Can I go spend ten dollars for a car wash and have the same thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like extra wax, okay, go with the extra wax twelve bucks instead of Yeah, it's like fins and that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what a ceramic finishes. I like, what why do I want this? Oh? But you know it's so your car looks perfect? Like, I don't care, it's so what a car. It's a car exactly.
Speaker 2: Ten minutes after you drive off the lot. It's worth X minus too much, and it just continues to depreciate over its lifetime and then you replace it again. Right.
Speaker 1: They wanted twenty five hundred dollars for the next five years in case I blow out tires that I could come back and get new tires. Like if you get a nail on the tire, you get to come back and they replace the tire for free. I'm like, well, how much does a tire cost? Three hundred dollars? I go, okay, So I got to blow out eight to nine tires in five years, I said, I said, what about if the tire wears it? Oh, they're not covered. I'm like, am I going to blow out eight tires in four years? I decided I wasn't.
Speaker 2: Exactly okay, in the next ten years for five years. Yeah, no, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I go into my mechanic and you know, then of the shop talk to the boys. I think I picked up a nail. Okay, let's see, we'll fix it. Oh that's thirty bucks. Yeah, it's all said and done. They pull a nail out for the patch in and away you go. Tires good.
Speaker 1: But even if they couldn't, Tim, you'd have to be in live in a construction site to run over that many nails to make that. So I said, I don't understand because well most of the guys said, well, look, most people finance the car and they just throw in these things, this part, so you pay another five dollars ten dollars a month for this and it all gets all gets lost in there. I'm like, but this is like total profit for the dealership. He goes, yes, like, that's why.
Speaker 2: That's why vehicle they have somebody in accounting spend lots of time with you selling you all these features before you come up with the final price. Okay, it's those add ons that make a huge difference.
Speaker 1: And I have to tell you, Timmy v by the car. There was no pressure at all me. Was there pressure on these add ons? Oh my word, I felt like, you know, I felt like I was making a horrible decision by not getting the ceramic finish, you know, like, oh, you're just you're You're making a huge mistake, mister Wilson. I'm like, if you no, I'm not never had this in my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah until this year. How many winters have you gone through with a vehicle where you're driving through snow constantly? Yeah? So yeah, it doesn't even doesn't even really apply for the most part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And guess what. I go to the I go to the the car washing eight ten bucks. It looks just like new when I get get out of there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I'm driving at twenty fourteen. It's ten years old and I only watched it twice a year. And I live in the snow now, you know. Yeah, yeah, she's gonna sell me something useful.
Speaker 1: But no, But I know I couldn't believe. I mean, look, everybody listened to this. You might if you there's a lot of guys that sell sell cars that listen to us, and I'm sure they're telling me, I'm all wet, I need the ceramic diss and I need the nail that and I get it, but it, I said, note tonight, I didn't get anything. The only thing I did was pre buy the warranties, you know, the pre pay for you know, the annual maintenance because that's they're yeah, that's a good, yeah, because they give you discounts on that. Well, you give me, give me one thousand dollars and that covers the next four you know, four years of four years of warranty stuff. I'm like, what is it generally costing fifteen hundred dollars? Okay, I'll do that. But that was it. That's the only thing I bought, and I suggested that not the other crack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll pick up the oil changes and I'll pick up the services whatever. Yeah, give me a discount, yeah, or way we go, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Way we go.
Speaker 2: You're gonna use them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well I do. I go get it serviced every year. And then people say it's dumb to go to the dealership to do it, but I'm I'm I don't know anything about cars. I mean, so I just go to the dealership and they fix everything for me, and I'm good with that. But that was my experience with all the add Onsoy what a what a racket?
Speaker 2: Man? Well, and between you and me, ten years from now, when you're trying to sell what vehicle, the fact that it's got ceramic finish on it is not going to sway me to up my offer.
Speaker 1: Rouse at Well, here's the deal. So we ran this car into the ground. To me, it had one hundred thousand miles on it, It's eleven years old. It still works perfectly, and you know it needed new tires and new bushings. And so I went out to Kelly Blue Book and I think we spent sixty grand for the buy the car. Ten years it was worth four thousand dollars. And I'm like like like like what exactly? So I mean these cars they're not worth anything. And it's just like you know, you go in and you spend fifty sixty thousand dollars, which is totally what cars cost now, and and ten years later they're worth ten percent of that. I mean, like, why am I? Why do I care about the finish on my car? I didn't get it. I just didn't get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, vehicle's the worst investment you'll ever make. I know. So anyway, that's that's It's just the way it is, but you got you gotta have one.
Speaker 1: That's there's my opining. So do what you want when you buy a car. If I buy, if I come to your dealership and I buy a new car, it's not going to have the ceramic I never heard that word before. Ceramic coding US used to be rust undercoding. That was the big thing people used to try to sell you on. Is rust undercoding That that wasn't inclusive, something called ceramic now.
Speaker 2: So yeah, up here, it makes sense to have your vehicle undercoted because we use so much salt on the roads in the winter and you're dealing with lots of snow, slush and everything else. Undercoding makes makes sense. But yeah, no ceramic. No, not for this guy.
Speaker 1: Not for this guy either. Tell me it's a wrap, my friend. Have a good week. We will. Are we doing the prospects later? This next week? Is Tuesday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we're looking at Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tuesday at Yeah it sounds good. Might have to do it a little later on Tuesday, but yeah, Tuesday, Tuesday works for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what what are we covering Tuesday? Just so I do the right ones this time?
Speaker 1: I think we're the last one the National League West. Okay, that's right, tho, No, No Al West, Ale West Al West Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's been a gap up in between there and is good, but the recall sort of sucks.
Speaker 1: American Al West it is. So until then, Timmy, be weell
Speaker 2: Be safe, be well, and we'll talk to you Tuesday