Speaker 1: Oh giez, folks, it's showtime.
Speaker 2: People say, good money to see this movie.
Speaker 3: When they go out to a theater, they want cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters in the protection booth.
Speaker 2: Everyone pretend podcasting isn't boring.
Speaker 4: Cut it off.
Speaker 3: It begins with seduction, the lady.
Speaker 2: It leads to betrayal.
Speaker 4: You're working, Sam Angela, don't tell me you're not because.
Speaker 3: I wrote the book.
Speaker 4: What do you sell anyway?
Speaker 5: Self confidence? You're not skimming it?
Speaker 4: Oh well, you know, put the book here in the.
Speaker 5: Book there, ski man. I can walk away from it any time I want. I've heard that before.
Speaker 2: And it ends with murder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, haven't got the stomach for it.
Speaker 3: Academy Award nominee for Best Actress, Angelica Houston John Cusack, I want to learn everything. I want to be a crypted and the Academy Award nominee for Best Supporting Actress Annette Benning.
Speaker 2: I was teen ten years with the best in the business.
Speaker 1: I'm still the best long contract.
Speaker 4: For you'll ever seen.
Speaker 3: In the highly acclaimed new thriller from the director of Dangerous Liaisons and producer Martin Scorsese, Have Goodfellas, Who's Conning who the Martin Scorsese production of a Stephen Frears thriller, The Grifters.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the projection booth. I'm your host, Mike White, joining me once again as mister Jedediah Ayers.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello.
Speaker 5: Also back in the booth is mister Andrew Netti.
Speaker 2: You told Bilinga what she pitched.
Speaker 5: We wrap up November twenty twenty four with a look at Stephen Frears's The Grifters, Based on a book by Jim Thompson and adapted by Donald Westlake. The film stars Angelica Houston as Lily Dylon, a grifter who's down for the long con changing the odds at horse races. She is reunited with her estranged son Roy played by John Cusack, and meets Roy's girlfriend Myra, played by Annette Benning. They play in a messy world to grifting, where double crossing is a way of life. Killer, cast killer, script killer, everything. We will be spoiling this film as we go along, so if you don't want anything ruin, turn off the podcast and watch the film. Just as an aside, we just recorded this whole GD episode with the record button off, So if we refer to as I said before, that's what we're talking about. So, yes, you did miss a great conversation. Hopefully we can do it again. So, Jenniediah, when was the first time you saw The Grifters and what did you think?
Speaker 2: The Grifters was a big film for me in that it introduced me to Jim Thompson and he became a favorite author later on. I don't remember the actual viewing, but I remember being very aware of the movie, thinking John Cusack looked really cool, and the poster and the little snippets of dialogue sounded meat in the trailers. When I did actually see the film sometime in the early nineties, probably by ninety three or ninety four, anyway, it just seemed like something that had always been part of my life, because it just felt like a piece of me had been captured and put on screen and I got to see it. And for the last thirty years, I've watched the movie many times, and I've read Jim Thompson books and enjoyed those, and it was just one of those things that when it came out and I saw it, I just I knew it was for me, and it ended up changing kind of the course of my life, defining my interests and things I would pursue and enjoy. Let me tell you a story.
Speaker 1: In the early nineties, I was living in a small Southeast Asian country called Laos in Vianchan was Communist controlled and quite isolated. We didn't have a TV, but we could rent a vis player and TA locally. It was one shop that sold VHS tapes and they had a selection of about five Dix English language movies. I remember Perfilm was one of them, the first Dolph Lunger and The Tunersher was one of them, and The Grifters was.
Speaker 2: One of them.
Speaker 1: I watched all of those films countless times until we discovered that we crossed the river and go to Bangkok by bootleg VHS tapes and bring them back. But anyway, I would have watched The Grifters first then, and I didn't really have a great deal of context for it.
Speaker 2: I hadn't really got into crime cinema.
Speaker 1: I hadn't really even gotten to cinema yet, and I had only just started reading crime fiction.
Speaker 2: But I really loved this film.
Speaker 1: There are certain themes in the film which I know we're going to talk about the scene with Bobo and Lily and the Orangers are the ending, which always stuck with me when I first saw it and still stick with me, which I think about a lot. And I just think the whole package of the film, that the cast, the script, the story, it's darkness, the whole package kind of works for me.
Speaker 5: So I saw this one probably on VHS. I didn't have to rent a TV and VCR to see this like you did, but definitely rented it. Probably. I might have been working at Blockbuster when I saw it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: I probably talked about this on The Better Off Dead one crazy summer episode we did a while back. But I grew up just absolutely loving John Cusack, just could not get enough of him, really love the sure thing the afore mentioned two movies I talked about. Eventually, I would see Tape Heads and fall in love with that, but my love of him started to fade when it came to say anything. For whatever reason, I just really disliked that film, like the twist of the crime and the father and all this kind of stuff, and just Lloyd always creaked me out a little little bit. But he did feel a little bit like a con man in that movie. This whole thing of kickboxing, the sport of the future and just that he wanted to be with Aoni Sky and kickbox his life.
Speaker 2: It was a stalking.
Speaker 5: It was just.
Speaker 2: It was stalking and basically just wore her down essentially.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I started to the Bloomers off the Rose with that movie. And when I saw The Grifters the first time, I really didn't like the movie because this was my own mistake because I thought that Roy was the hero of the piece. And now watching it again all these years later, I'm like, oh no, this is the Lily story. This is not Roy's story at all. So I really because I was twenty when I saw it the first time, I was too stupid to appreciate this movie. So now all these years later, I can finally say that I really liked The Grifters. I was really glad to do this dive, really happy to read the Jim Thompson book because anytime I read his stuff, I absolutely love it. It's one of those I've talked about this before with other filmmakers where it's like I don't want to dive in headfirst and see everything, you know. I don't want to check out every single Fellini film all at once. I just want to every few years, you know, even with Jean Pierre Melville. Okay, there's still a few of his that I haven't seen, but I'm just waiting for that right day to break it out from the wine cellar and be like, ah, here we go, here's the Silence of the Sea. Kind of the same thing with Jim Thompson. It's okay, pretty soon I'm going to be watching Siri Noir. So I need to read Hell of a Woman. I can't wait to finally dig into that one. This was great being able to read that book and just dive into this film and learn about all the behind the scenes. And then, yeah, now I can appreciate that it's Donald Westlake doing the script. I could have appreciated that probably twenty years ago, but not thirty years ago. It's I just really now am finally falling in love with this film all of these years later. But then also, this movie has everything that I love. When it comes to character actors. There are no small roles in this movie. Even the four sailors that he's playing against on the train, I recognize at least two of these faces. John Grys as the friend of the drunk guy who costs Angelica Houston, you can barely see Grys's face because he's hidden behind his friend on screen. Or Xander Berkley as the Arizona police detective who takes Cuzach over to see the dead body, just all of those, Every single little part in this movie is so well cast and with so many people that you would just start to see over and over again. This was like I was really starting to see Tobolowski, who I know I'd been working for a longer time, but Tobolowski going to show up again in a few years here in Groundhog, where Xander Berkeley is going to show up in Leaving Las Vegas, and we're just going to keep getting these faces. But I think this was honestly the first time I ever saw and at Benny, because at this point I hadn't seen Valmont, and maybe I saw Bugsy before I saw this film, but she was this amazing breath of fresh air because who is this woman and she's able to turn it on and off. She's got that almost Betty Boop type voice that she uses at times, but then when she does her flashback, she's speaking in a light Southern drawl to it, and everybody from this would be either on their way to bigger and better things, or there were character actors in here like Henry Jones, who probably this was probably one of his later films, if not one of his last ones. Every face in here is just fantastic. The casting of this movie is so well done. And now I finally feel like I appreciate this movie probably the way that you guys did thirty years ago.
Speaker 2: Know that I appreciated it the way that it deserves to be appreciated. For a while, I just felt, Oh, it's super cool, and then oh what a bummer. But multiple viewings and certainly a maturation process on my part, have brought about a deeper appreciation, a really richer appreciation. It's it's a really amazingly textured and layered film and book and adaptation process. It was all pretty masterful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the adaptation of this it is so well done. Donald Westlake knows what to keep, knows what to throw away. We'll talk about some of the deleted scenes and things, but he knew how to tell the story, the order in which to tell this story, and just the emphasizing of the right things. And I love that whole story about how he did a draft and gave it over to Stephen Frears, the director, and Frears is, yeah, no, this isn't really hitting it for me, and Westlakes, Oh what do you want? And Frears goes through the novels just starts pointing out all these scenes that he really wants to have in there, and Wes like's like, oh you like trash basic. I thought you wanted this elevated as I can roll around the gutter too, So I was just like, yes, this is great. Donald, you did a fantastic job. He knows enough to get the hell out of the way when it comes to so much of Thompson's pros and being able to put the descriptions inside of characters mouths, like things that Thompson is telling us directly. He will then have characters start to say, so, like the whole thing we're talking about the oranges, like he's writing all of that He's talking about like this is an old thing. You beat someone with one with oranges and they get these horrific bruises on them. But if you do it wrong then it might burst to an organ and kill the person. But yet he rather than there's no voiceover in this other than a little bit of an intro from courtesy of Martin Scorsesey. There's not any voice over telling these things. Instead it's Pat Hengel saying, Okay, Lily, tell me about the oranges, and making her say it, and making her think about it and making us think about it, and her just on the edge of hysterics with the catching her voice where she is just about to lose her shit. I love that kind of stuff. I love how there's other times where it's Henry Jones giving this information that was written in the book, but here he's like expounding it, talking about how all those women they got that little piggy bang between their legs and I don't want any women staying at this hotel because they're just going to be working on their backs. And I'm like, this is brilliant stuff. And this is the reason why you read Jim Thompson, and now you get to hear these incredible actors deliver this kind of exposition, and I just fucking love it. The acting and the caliber of actors and the quantity and quality of character actors in this movie is beyond belief.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny. And somebody else was saying about fears, how much. He just loves the worse things. He wants his characters to be worse and worse, He wants the situations to be worse and worse, and trash was a word that was thrown around in that documentary about Stephen Frears to Watch Last Night.
Speaker 5: Weslake really does a great job in here, just crafting this and knowing when to show us things when not to. Apparently he wrote a lot of the flashbacks that we don't get, which I think we're really better off for not having those. Just keep it contemporary, like when we have the flashbacks that we do. And I think there's three main flashbacks in the movie. One of them is just flashing back to something that was done off screen off of Roy's radar. In the book he figures it out, but in the movie they actually show it, but as that flashback, and I want to say it might even be his thought process a little bit as well. There's the one of Moira and oh gosh, JT. Walsh's the Langley might be yeah, leangle called Langley and J. T. Walsh is the one who plays him just absolutely brilliantly, another wonderful character actor. And then the other one is it's not too far in the past. Roy's what twenty five. It feels like this might have happened when he was eighteen. He doesn't look too different or anything other than this member's only jacket or whatever that he's wearing, and that's the origin of Roy as grifter. We get to actually see him meet his mentor and hear his mentor spiel. Other than that, it's all like in the present, and that I think really helps out quite a bit that we aren't just dealing with Rory's childhood or going back to earlier times with us. Apparently Weslake wrote all of these flashbacks and fears might have even shot all these flashbacks, and I'm pretty sure that he did because Juliette Landau Martin Lando's daughter, who had a pretty good career of her own. I mostly remember her from ed Wood where she's no no liquids. She's just amazing in that where she doesn't ever drink water. She was playing a young lily. But yeah, they had all of these scenes that were in there, and I'm glad they took him out because this movie just runs so tight and so taut. But back in Roy's childhood, if he say he broke his arm, she'd be like, oh, it's only one arm, And if he did something, she would just play it down so much. And that's one of the final lines of the book, is when she accidentally slashes his throat, she goes only one throat, so good.
Speaker 1: The thing I found most interesting on the two viewings of the film that I did this episode of the show is how it occupies and I'm going to use this word and you can't stop me. It occupies a liminal space between are sort of older forties fifties peel of a film noir and something that feels also very nineties in terms of its look and its sensibility and the actors, as you say, and I just felt I find that fascinating how they did that. There's all those visual cues to those older films, but it still feels quite contemporary in its own way because some respects the grift has just become mainstream now, but we were far less aware of it then, So I to think I found absolutely fascinating about it and how they did that, how they they're dressed kind of nineties.
Speaker 2: But Roy lives in that old La hotel.
Speaker 1: I don't know what hotel it is, or if it's still there the bright and then they're at the track. Just a very film noire place to be, but their sensibility and the way they are able to go full bore on some of the more adult themes like the incest and the self loathing about their lives and to have more than they've got feels very contemporary.
Speaker 5: I'll have that I used the word liminal at work a few weeks ago, and my boss tried to correct me, thinking that liminal wasn't a real word.
Speaker 1: So I thought you were going to say you used the word liminal, and now you're managing the place.
Speaker 5: Now I own the whole company.
Speaker 2: Is that's right.
Speaker 5: We make matchsticks and that's what I sell. Go around from a bar to bar and I put down a twenty and lift it up and there's a ten on there and hopefully I don't get belted in the stomach with the wrong end of a baseball bat. Yeah, which is very smart too that we start the whole movie with Lily, But even before that, we start with this amazing black and white montage of Los Angeles you're talking about, like film noir, and just setting us in that whole space. The idea of this is such an LA story and to have this very I'm not an LA guy, but even I recognize this architecture that's going on. I recognize some of these streets just mostly because of movies. And to have that and have a little bit of color with the credits, the blues and the reds and that nice little voiceover from Martin Scressezi at the beginning, uncredited, but the executive producer stepping in to do that. But to start it off with the black and white I thought was really smart. It really reminded me of Roman Polansky and the way that he starts off Chinatown with the kind of muted opening credits and then going right to those black and white photographs that Jack Nicholson is showing to Bert Young, with those little squeals that Bert Young is doing as his hard at breaking to see his wife in flagrante with another man. But yeah, it's the same thing here where we've got all of these black and white photos and then we start with Lily coming into the racetrack and just she's got the white hair driving out that think of lighter colored vehicles, and you've also got that quality of light of the southern California sky that Priers was talking about on the commentary, where it's just everything feels so sun baked and drained. I know they did some flashing on the film to draw that out as well, But then the whole idea too, that they were avoiding red as their color palette until the movie went on. As the movie goes forward, they're slowly introducing red until you get this blood bath at the end, but not only just in him Cusac with the red all over his shirt, but then also the red dress that Lily's wearing at the end, which I think you guys mentioned was also moirist dress as well, or might she was wearing red as well, And I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that little trope and a lot of films, especially friend films and films noir, where somebody starts off with a very flite, pristine outfit and by the end of the movie it's totally trashed, it's dirty, it's ripped, it's blood soaked. It's brings me ahead of Alfredo Garcia basically that transition, as he's in that white suit the whole time, and Lily's white outfit at the beginning of the film and it's a different outfit, but it's that I like that transition. That sematic transition worked very nicely for me. It's also the merging of the Lily and.
Speaker 1: Moira characters way that they start to basically by the end of it, they're wearing that same red dress. They're merging together as characters, which works in terms of that lot that loot surprise they have when Moira tries to kill Lily, but Lily actually kills Mura instead, and they think it's pasts Moira's body off as her own, so that's her out from being.
Speaker 2: Chased by the mob.
Speaker 1: But also it's the way they fuse those characters together in terms of their sexuality in Roy's mind, I think, because I mean, the source of the incest or the sort of hint of attraction between was not really a hint. Come on, let's talk like adults here. The very strong influence of attraction between Roy and Lily, which in the book is even.
Speaker 2: Ladder on even more strongly.
Speaker 1: It's pretty full on. It's one of the most powerful lines in the book. At the very end, when Lily's just killed Moira, Lily's on the run from Bobo justice, Roy finds Lily rifling around the back of his clown pictures his massive shape for his money, and Lily wants the money to get away from Bobo. And Lily says to Roy, what if I told you I wasn't your mother. It's a big mood shift. There's several mood shifts in that film. One mood shift is when Moira and Roy a talking and Moira confronts him about the fact that you're a grifter. I know you're a grifter. Don't treat me like a square. I'm a grifter to it, And there's a whole shift there. And there's another shift very late in the film when Lily says to Roy, what if I selled you I wasn't your mother? And it opens up the possibility that I can do this thing I want to do that I'm not able to do otherwise, and Roy's struggling with that. In the book, it's even more for long. I mean, the film, Lily is mortified when she kills Roy, weeps over his corpse, but in the books she's life. I think, what do we say that anybody got study one? You already got one throws? What does he say, yeah, got one throat? And takes the money and just goes. She is one hard, hard hussy.
Speaker 2: You have a film.
Speaker 5: Yeah, though I do appreciate Jed and I we talked about Elevator to Gallows years and years ago, and this is the opposite way with her going down the elevator, and we do have a shot of Moira going down in an elevator prior to that, but with that shot of Lily going down after she's murdered her own son, and yet she's completely put together when she's going down the elevator, and you get them multiple shots of her going down in the elevator. I love the focus on her, how it changes and eventually comes into focus then goes out of focus, because just shooting that type of shit must have been very difficult. But yes has the wherewithal to get out of there, to take his car, to leave that Cadillac of Moira's, and to make it look like Moira killed him or whatever happens, Moira is to blame and Lily gets off scott free and can start a new life. But to your point, Andrew, I don't know how much of a new life she's going to start because all of the things that you were saying, as far as I can stop whenever I want to, it's such an alcoholics refrain, I can quit whenever I want. Yet the constant draw back to it, and even when he's trying to go on vacation and go down to La Joya with Moira, and yet here it is on the train doing the whole tat thing with the dice and caging drinks and getting more and more money off of these guys, basically financing his trip. I was thinking about doing the same thing when I go out to Vegas in a couple of weeks, and I wouldn't be surprised that if Lily is an odd to the whole Lilith myth myth as well, I'm sure they didn't choose these character names just out of a hat. And then I love that preres is, Oh, this is all multice Falcon. This is Mary Astor going to hell after betraying Sam Spade in the maltice Falcon. And he knows that who he's dealing with, Angelica Houston and the legacy that she's bringing to it with her father and all of his work. But you're talking about the white suit before Jededie, and I was thinking about that white suit that he's wearing in Treasure Madre. Yeah, it's just like and yeah, doesn't he wear one in Chinatown as well?
Speaker 2: Like John Houston? Yeah, no, I thought you were talking about John Houston, but Treasures Madre was he's in that.
Speaker 5: He's Oh, he's in this the guy that is constantly getting hit up by Humphrey Bogart, could you help a fellow America who's down on his luck? And Yeah, just keeps hitting the same mark every single time. I only know it because of the Warner Brothers cartoon with Penguin where Hvrey Bogar kept showing up and asking him to help out a fellow American who's down on his luck. So took me twenty years before I finally connected with the Treasure of Sierra Madra and said, oh my god, now I get the joke again. Just the what Angelica Houston brings to this role is just amazing the sharpness of her dialogue, the sideline glances that she gets, just the ascid in her voice when she's talking with Moira. I absolutely loved that little moment where she quote unquote accidentally drops her keys and picks those up and basically shoves her ass and Moira's face. You're talking about the merging, Andrew, and just the time that we see all three of those characters together quote quote is right there at the beginning, with that amazing split screen effect that they're doing, and following all three of those characters and then bringing them together in one frame with the two women on either side and John Cusack in the middle, all with their sunglasses on, all of them checking out the rest of everybody around them. But that, oh god, that shot is just incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he goes into Bennigan's. Bennigans Benigans, Andrew, you're not an American, you wouldn't know Benigan's is. Yeah, it is. Hell on earths, it is. It's a shitty chain restaurant.
Speaker 5: If you remember the film office space, the restaurant where Jennifer Aniston is working is very similar to Bennigan's. They call it Chotchkes and she has to have all those buttons and things on her uniform. Eighteen pieces of flair or something they say. But yeah, it's very similar to that. Feeling good in the neighborhood I think was the catchphrase for them.
Speaker 2: That's the moment at the beginning of the film that really places it firmly in the present for me is that you had all this cool throwback film noir photography and this great Elmer Bernstein's score, and it felt so very classical film noir, and then you got the shock of the color photography of the three characters. But it's that he goes into Benigan's and there's country music blasting on the saying in downtown LA for some reason that firmly puts it in the present for me, or in the nineteen nineties for me.
Speaker 5: Bennigan's walked so that Outback could run. And I'm sure you know Outback Steakhouse Andrews since it is Australian themed and they have boomerangs and pictures of Koalas Slalas. Yes. Yeah, you go in and you say I would like some shrimp on the barbie, and they are very accommodated.
Speaker 1: Have they all got their hat trip of cool some Yeah, fantastic, They've.
Speaker 2: Got your books on the show.
Speaker 5: They really every morning they released twenty thousand flies into the restaurant.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know if he lies to us or how he states it, but I swear he says that Roy will be dead in three days now he would be if Lily doesn't intervene and show up back in his life and have the hospital take him. But it's a great wait foreshadow that's not going to be three days. It'll probably be about three weeks. I think it's the length of this novel, if even that, because.
Speaker 6: Things happen fast, and Lily cuts through the whole bureaucretit the lies of the US health system by basically just saying, if my son Dot you're going to live, otherwise I'll have you killed.
Speaker 2: To that doctor, I'll always want to site to a doctor. I've always want to say it to a bartender.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I just love that delivery. This was probably the first time that I saw Anette Benning in a movie. I don't I don't know if I had seen Bugsy yet or not. Maybe I had, But she really makes an impression in this movie, and I think she does such a great job. I was shocked to hear how easy going she was with the nudity on set. Oh, rather than my body double. If you want to put me here, you can do that if it's going to save you time. Because this is an independent film now put out by Mirror Max apparently what was there. There's that story about Harvey bidding against himself because nobody else even wanted this movie basickly. But yeah, there's a great behind the scenes documentary on this that came out on one of the Blu rays. It took me a little bit to fine, but really some incredible stories and it's really nice. You get to hear from two of the producers, maybe three, but at least two of them, and we'll actually hear from them a little bit later in the show, which is pretty cool that I was able to speak to them, and I hope people don't mind. But I had to ask Barbara defeed out a whole lot of questions about Goodfellows while I was at it, just because when was I going to get that chance again.
Speaker 2: The good Fellow's episode.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess. So if I ever get the bravery to do the good Fellaw's episode, it's like.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm down for the Goodfellow's episode.
Speaker 5: It's like the Mount Rushmower of Amazing films, And I don't know if I can climb that peak, even though about Rushmore isn't really that tall, but I'll look like carry Grant just crawling around on Lincoln's nose, and.
Speaker 2: That Benning did make an impression in this one, And you're right, it wasn't just the nude scenes, though certainly as a teenage viewer, they made an impression. I was like, isn't that the lady from the Great Outdoors?
Speaker 5: It was the John Candy movie.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Ackroyd's wise and she talks about masturbating up against the dryer when it's or the washer when it's on spin cycle.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I forgot how that had made an impression clearly, and then I saw the rafters and it was great, but no doing the channeling. We talked about how she was very much channeling Gloria Graham in The Big Heat, and I don't think we even mentioned though, that she played Gloria Graham years later in film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool, which I thought makes an interesting transition to start her career there, and not that her career is over now, but all these years later, actually get around the plane Gloria Graham. That was an interesting exercise. I watched The Grifters and the film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool back to back a few weeks ago.
Speaker 1: As part of the thirty watched for these podcasts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, there was thirty Stephen Frears films, I watched more like ninety five I think we counted.
Speaker 5: So yeah, just some light viewing.
Speaker 2: A little light viewing. Yeah, yeah, but yeah, big ee to the grifters, to filmstars don't like Diane Liverpool, so good. I recommend that to people as a triple.
Speaker 5: Bill if memory serves. That didn't Gloria Graham end up with Nicholas Ray's son, Is that right, Nicholas race son.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did after Nicholas Rye. I think that's what broke the relationship as Yeah, I haven't swatted on Gloria Graham's life for this episode, so yeah, I'm flying blind a bit on that one.
Speaker 2: But yes, she did.
Speaker 1: She did end up with She had had an affair or relationship I think with Nicholas Ray's sun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which, Wow, when we're talking about a movie with so much incest, it just yeah, it's a little close to home there with that one. Holy shit. Yeah, they definitely the idea of the incest in this and just that the women are so similar looking, and they get more and more similar looking as the movie goes along, to the point where we actually have the Francis Bay shows up later in the film as this hotel attendant and she at one point, you know, when and Nett Benning comes in, she's, oh, is there something wrong? Oh, oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were the other lady. Yeah, And then we're gonna get Harry Jones confusing and then luckily the police confusing these two ladies. And it's really just that mark on the hand that tips us off that it's not Lily that is actually Myra. And oh the mark on the hand, the cigar burn, the whole scene with pat Hingele as Bobo justice coming to deliver some bobo justice to her. Holy shit, that scene leaves a major impression. And what's the best is that, Yeah, there's some really awful violence in there, but I think in your mind it was even worse going in and it's almost a relief when you come to a fucking cigar burn on the back of the hand.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was once you know, a film lecture where someone asked a question of person, what do you think is the most disturbing violence you've ever seen.
Speaker 5: In a movie?
Speaker 2: And they brought up, oh, getting beaten with the oranges in the grifters, what was really the most disturbing thing for me? And like she just talks about it, and it is just that powerfully delivered the whole making her stuffs this towel with oranges and described to Pat Hendele how it's potentially going to, in his words, make you not shit right the rest of your life. And yeah, it is really unnerving. Great performances on both but great writing to know that you were going to be able to get away with something if you could show on TV, but have the impact of such horrific violence delivered just in the dialogue. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: And then he's all chatty and friendly Hu, which I think is what adds that edge.
Speaker 2: Stay into that scene.
Speaker 1: You know, I've got to you want to stick around for a drink after he's put the cigarette on her hand, and of course in the book it's very graphic. She, of course, as you do when you're in that much pain and trauma, soils herself and then he you know, you want to stick around for a drink and she's, oh, no, I've got to go and see my son.
Speaker 2: He's in hospital. How is your son five from me? And then he's absolutely, that's a good thing to have on a T shirt chat.
Speaker 1: He's an absolute psychopaths as a mobster. He's not one of those funny, wise cracking con man type mobsters exactly how you would expect a powerful mobster to actually be one question, you want.
Speaker 2: To stick to that story, you want to keep your teeth? Yeah, yeah, what the fuck are you doing with the sub.
Speaker 1: And she tells you about what the fuck you're doing with the sun.
Speaker 5: The way Thompson describes his knees on her spine while he's putting that cigarette out on her and just keeping the skill it took to keep the ember alive on the cigarette while he's doing that to her, so he's not putting it out on her, he's using the heat and burning her. And I don't think they really like they keep the whole thing about the long coat, but I don't think they really imply. If they do, it's not very well in the movie that she has soiled herself because.
Speaker 2: Because that's why she's wearing the coat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's not. I don't know. It just you don't see anything, and I know that you wouldn't really I'm not into women peeing on film like some people. But yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Yes, is there an inference they have walk.
Speaker 5: Well, no, just a general thing I think ban to it.
Speaker 1: But The Bad Book is a dark, little cookie of a book. It's really, as I said, the incest is sign's hosted very early and laid on the Moira Lily comparison. I mean, this is a key constant film in all of Thompson's books, a sort of angst and existential emptiness of the characters is because in the book, Roy's got a sort of straight job as a salesman and does the grift on the side.
Speaker 2: And he's addicted. He's addicted to the grift.
Speaker 1: He can't really get offer even though it's pennanty bullshit grifting, and they're all looking for something better out of it. But there's also that whole subplot in the book about Carrell, the nurse in the film that Lily hires the look after Roy, and Roy basically says, you realize one another's hired you. She's just hired you so I can fuck you, because she's trying.
Speaker 2: To wean me off Moira.
Speaker 1: But in the book, Carol is a Nazi concentration camp survivor who's been had some horrific experiments on the part of the Nazis, And there's this whole subplot of Roy sleeping with her, and as soon as he finds out that she's a concentration camp survivor, he basically just treats it absolutely and visibly. That is such a dark little subplot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's funny how with this one she gets offended when he says, Oh, my mom hired you to fuck me, and it's just like, oh, she run basically runs off. And in the book, it's so much worse, so terrible. Oh yeah, and you get just it's only a few paragraphs worth of stuff, but your mind just goes to all these places with the things that happened to Carol, to her mom, to her grandmother, how she was a dacout concentration camp survivor, and it sounds like experimented on her medically. So Roy's all happy when he's, oh, have you been with other people? And she's like, oh, yeah, I've had sex before, and she says something like I can't get pregnant, and she's upset about it. Oh, we can never have children together. Roy, like she's already planning the wedding and everything, and he was like Oh, that's great, let's fuck This is terrific. And then yeah, after they have sex, she talks about her past and she barely touches on it, but in your mind you expanded out to so much because she's talking about her mother and her grandmother and they're trying to see how young a woman can be or a girl can be before she can have a baby. And they found out five years old she was able to conceive, and then they sterilized her. They almost found out when it came to her grandmother, but they killed her in the process.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: It just tears the heart out of it. And then Roy being such an asshole about it and just his reaction to it, no empathy whatsoever. And that really helps for me the book where it's like, oh, man, up till now, I thought Roy was okay, But from this, I know this guy's no good whatsoever. It is just wretched stuff. That was something the whole Communism angle. There's a real quick mention in the Grifters, and I was like, Oh, he's definitely being ironic here because I knew that he was a Communist because he's talking about he's talking about the fucking Nazis as Roy he's talking about the Nazis, and it's just he gets after he's getting mad at Carol for her telling him her past. He says, after all, the one time friends, poor fellows were now our friends, and it would be bad takes to show gas stoves on television. After all, you couldn't condemn a people, could you, And what if they had done exactly that themselves, should you make the same regrettable error? After all, they hated the Reds as much as we did. They were as eager as we were to blow every stinking Red in the world to Helen gone. And after all, those people they allegedly sinned against had brought most of the trouble on themselves. And what he's saying with they had brought the trouble on themselves. He's talking about Jewish people, and I'm just like, holy fuck. And then the next paragraph is it was their own fault, it was her own fault. But with him railing against the Reds, I was like, Okay, we're being ironic here. I'm so glad that it's not. I'm glad that Roy Dylan is not Jim Thompson. Of course, there's nothing in nineteen ninety that is going to line up with that, And it's not like she's I don't know, like Vietnam survivor or somebody, I don't know what would be the corollary. There's nothing that can be a corollary to the Holocaust, guys, I think that's pretty safe to say. But that removal was very smart. Again going back to Westlake and his adaptation, what he was doing, making the internal making the descriptions that Thompson is giving us, and then putting them into the mouths of these characters, taking the description of the hotel where Roy is living at and putting some of that stuff into the mouth of Henry Jones as the only I think he's the only guy that works at the hotel basically other than the one maid who he's telling to take any towels that she finds on the floor and refold rather than launder, because it's going to cost him probably a few cents to launder all those towels. Just refold them. If it's white, refold it. But yeah, fucking Henry Jones, man, he is so good in this. Henry Jones is always great in anything that he's in. At The Bad Seed, him just completely emasculating Jimmy Stewart in Vertigo and yeah, just playing yet another skeazy hotel landlord type person. I'm trying to remember the name of the actor that plays the guy with the big teeth in Blazing Saddles Taggart's right hand man, but I think he runs the hotel in the Getaway, And it's very much the same idea of these transient people living in hotels, which is funny because I know that's how Charles Wiliford lived a lot of his life, but it was in San Francisco where he's living in hotels for months and months at a time. And to hear about the Los Angeles transience and some of the stuff that they were talking about on the audio commentary of guys trying to coerce women into prostitution while they're walking down the line at the Actors Strike, just handing out business cards to all the attractive women. I'm just like, man, what a world? What a world does Los Angeles is?
Speaker 2: I believe it's pronounced Los Angeles. Yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah. She really insists on hitting that hard, which I appreciate.
Speaker 2: But she hits all the angles. Some have called it a city of angles. Westlake's adaptation certainly would have run into trouble coming up with a parallel to the Holocaust to give that character a backstory. But I do think that excising the nurses.
Speaker 8: Carol's story gives the movie a different feel because it does put us more in Roy's corner.
Speaker 2: You know, the book really wallows in what a crummy guy or what you know, all the characters, how lousy they are as human beings. But the movie, at least on your first viewing of it, actually if you're a teenager like I was, having watched a lot of John Cusack romantic teenage romantic comedies, and I do think that he's who I'm rooting for in this movie into and then at the end what happens to him is really awful in a way that it wouldn't quite be if I really thought he was such a piece of shit, the way I would if Carol's story had been preserved.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree, Jeda Dyah that he is an absolute shithead when he does that to Carol, and it just I can't say that I completely turned against him at that point, but I definitely lose a lot of any respect that I had for him, just from that reaction. One thing that you were talking about earlier, Andrew with the whole idea of I can quit grifting anytime. I can do this whenever. Jim Thompson was a notorious alcoholic, and that seems like such the alcoholic thing to say, I can stop anytime. I don't have I just have a couple of drinks of parties. I just do a couple of grifts on the weekdays when I'm selling match sticks to different bars and things. I just take five dollars here, dollar there. I'll have this weird bet with this guy where I pay him a dime for every quarter that he can set up on end. Yeah, those kind of things were. Yeah, it's like he's penny Ante. But he can never stop.
Speaker 1: None of these people, they're all they're all basically imprisoned in the obsession of the grift.
Speaker 2: That's actually another great line I can't remember. I think it is in the normal when.
Speaker 1: Bobo basically says you're stealing from Lily, Oh, she's a clip, a buck here, or a back there. First, don't steal a little bit too smart. It is not stealing a lot, I think she says, or something like that. But they're all engaging in this incredibly danger, risk, risky, obsessive behavior which they just can't get out all and they're turned on by that, emotionally, sexually, psychologically turned on by the grift.
Speaker 2: And that's that scene at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Would all three of them turn around at the same time and they're looking at over the straight world, going Okay, another die at work, Let's do this.
Speaker 5: It's also very clever to use the racetrack because the racetrack was in the book. The racetrack is still a thing in nineteen ninety, it's probably still a thing in twenty twenty four. I just don't know. But the idea of the shifting of the odds that she's doing for Bobo and his syndicate, what was it Amusement Eastern AMusA, Adjument and amusements, that she's there with this wads and words of money, shifting all of these odds and making sure these horses don't come in for too much, and that really to me mirrors the Moira scam of the stock market. That's the new horse race, even though that's been around for one hundred years as well. But the whole idea of the hackers and oh, we have an eight second lead here. It's so much in eight seconds the horse could come in faster than somebody else, that's by like milliseconds. So here they've got this eight second lead. So we can figure this stuff out and put in these buys and puts and all this kind of stuff. It's win place or show for the modern age. And then also that is nineteen ninety. We've gone through eight years of Reagan. We're halfway through George Bush the first term. It's yeah, these the idea, these predatory lending and all this kind of stuff. Pretty much, Thompson almost comes out and says, hey, whatever we're doing, the government's doing it way worse to you. But we're honest grifters. We're the ones that are looking you right in the eyes as we're taking your money out of your pocket. The government won't even do that. The one thing that Weslake brings whole cli as far as I know, to the screenplay is the scene with JT. Walsh is the flashback of Moira and this setting up of Charles Napier as this Texas Oil millionaire I presume to be clipped, and that whole scene of them, it tells you so many things. It tells you all about Moira that the voice that she's using, that Gloria Graham voice, is not her voice. We don't know what her real voice. Probably sounds like. She's got a little bit of a Texas drawl when she's talking with Charles Napier. We find out about JT. Walsh and how he's this Basically, he's the ultimate comment to me, he's that mentor character that John Cusack meant if that mentor just kept getting deeper and deeper until you get off the deep end. And that part of the flashback where we see what happens as JT. Walsh, I just think that's fantastic that he goes crazy, been double crossed, and has been double crossing people all of his life that now suddenly all seems to be rushing back onto him and he can't even trust that there's a floor. That he can't even step off of his bed. He's just paralyzed with fear, who can trust who, Who's going to double cross who? It's like he gets to the point in his life where he can't even trust that the floor is going to hold him up anymore. He just has gone completely off the deep end. And I even though that scene is there is a character, there is a Langley character in the book, and I think he just I think want to say he became a drunk or something and was off the grift and all this, but this whole idea, the elaborate con that they set up, and then also the mental illness that is very Westlake, that is him making these things up and investigating the whole thing with the stock market and stuff. And that's really his addition to the screenplay is that whole section. I thought that was brilliant and just to show first off, fucking JT. Walsh and Charles Napier going at it. Yes, I absolutely love it. But JT. Wallsh just in and off himself was always just delivered those performances like nobody's business and could just come in and be in a movie for five minutes and just knock you out with his performance, like even his little turn in A Few Good Men, all of that is wonderful. But yeah, in this movie, he's great, and I just love that he ends up cracked up and unable to even move. He's so paranoid. And I know it's a little thing, but her with her clip on earrings. How she takes the clipy ond earrings off before she leans in to kiss him, and I'm just like, oh, okay, you don't even have your ears pierced. There's not even that commitment to that. It's just these clip on things. Yeah, the way that when he talks about his mom going to the track, I think it's like, oh, the track. And then there's just like a few beats before she says I want to know everything about you, and I'm like, yeah, I bet you do. I bet you see your meal ticket just coming down the street here. I love that, And I love too that her hair is completely different in the older in the flashback with JT. Walsh, and also when you can see her getting nervous about how extravagant JT. Walsh is with the con when he opens up the door, he's just like, I got a whole room of hardware back here. Come on back and check these computers out. You can hear them humming, and Napier starts to stand up and she's just like, no, that's okay, honey, that's okay. And they're like, oh, you're actually really nervous here, and then yeah, just that whole idea of her being so malleable with her looks and things, and then of course when she is in the present with Roy, that her hair and Lily's hair are so similar, just that kind of wild blonde just streaking out. An like the end of the film with having Lily come in and try to steal all of her son's money, it's like the one thing she doesn't ask for it, she just comes in and takes it every single bit. She's just like, I need that money, Roy, and that becomes that whole inciting thing of that end scene that you're just talking about. I think I can't remember if it's Freeers. I think it might be. Westlake talks about how it's set up like a boxing match. They just keep trying these different angles. She comes at him this way and he won't do it. He comes at her this way and she won't do it. Then she turns it around like you were saying, Jededie, and starts to do that whole I don't think she says in the movie what if I wasn't your mother? But there's definitely that we can get together. There's a kiss that happens in this movie, and I'm just like, oh, shit, Is it okay? Every angle?
Speaker 2: What if I told you I wasn't your mother? And then she says, you'd like that, wouldn't you?
Speaker 1: That whole corn that the long con that Moira and Cole Langley are involved in, which is is a kind of direct I'm not saying Westlake, who I worship as a writer, but he lifts that from that George Royd Hill nineteen seventy pre film The Sting, which has almost the exact same long con in it, including the fake shooting, and so that they hustle a lot of get out because he doesn't want to basically be associated with a homicide, and all that's lifted directly from The Sting. I think it was influenced very heavily by the Sting, who.
Speaker 5: Was talking in one of those extras about the Sting and that the Sting was based on somebody's book and they had basically combined all these stories into like smaller stories. And so when The Sting came out, I ended up being able to sue them because he's, yeah, those are all real things, but I'm the one that put them together in this order.
Speaker 2: Was it the big don I think it might be the.
Speaker 5: Big con yeah, the David Marr book. Yeah, nice, Oh, there it is in your hands. Do you read that one too?
Speaker 2: I did not for this read, but.
Speaker 5: I have to say, just as a real quick aside, I listened to The Grifters and it was narrated by Barbara Rosenblatt, and at first I was like, why is there a woman narrating this one? It's Roy's story? And I'm like, it's not Roy's story, and she spends so much time as Lily and Moira, and she does a fantastic job, really great narration, and I actually look forward to hearing more Barbara Rosenblatt narrated books, because she really killed it, and especially if she does more Thompson's I'm there.
Speaker 2: Similar to myke, I've got a bunch more that I haven't read, and I do, at a very deliberate pace, take out another one and read it, because there's only so many of them, and they I love them. And when I know, when I've had maybe a string of disappointing reads in a row, like I really need the salvage my reading streak, I'll pull out at Jim Thompson then, or I've got a handful of authors like that where I've I've got some set aside that I can just pull out when I know I got to have a great one portraits.
Speaker 5: That's right. I only read after your I just open up another chapter of Revolution and thirty five Milimeter and read another great film essay.
Speaker 1: That's what actually people should be doing.
Speaker 2: That's right. Who wrote that book.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure who wrote it, but it was edited by Andrew Nettie and Sam Degan, available on PM Press.
Speaker 2: I see, I'm a big Sam Deagan f Yeah.
Speaker 5: Same here.
Speaker 2: May type that Mike's three of Us excellently.
Speaker 5: Jed. You pointed out that Dylan is a common name for Thompson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he used a lot of the same names, different combinations of first names and last names that he would use in novel The novel Story to Story. Robert Pulito's amazing biography of Jim Thompson Savage Art I just read preparing for this podcast, and it's really great at going through Thompson's each of his books and pointing out which scenarios were retelling of real events from Thompson's life, which characters are based on his mother, his father, which character is supposed to be him, and a lot of those names are Communist Party names that Thompson used when he was in the Communist Party and had a several identities there, and Dylan was one of the identities that he used, and that name pops up an awful lot in his work.
Speaker 1: I think there's also a lengthy section in that absolutely brilliant literary biography of Thompson's by Palito where they talked about the fact that Thompson's first job was in a hotel, a sort of traveler's hotel in Oklahoma as the really One. Yeah, that's basically where he had to supply the traveling sales from.
Speaker 2: With women, drugs, liquor, ran errands for them.
Speaker 1: It's where he ran up first, ran up against the organized crime that he had to deal with, criminals, he had to deal with other low life. So it's obviously that in futures, all these subsequent work.
Speaker 5: If memory serves, he was still like a kid when he was doing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, late teens. I can't remember. So his dad, Yeah, his dad was a businessman who I think is very much one of the guys that Moira's talking about when she says, all over the Southwest, you've got these businessmen. They were making money when everyone was making money, and they think that means they're smart. I think that line is directly Thompson talking about his father, who made fortunes, made he was a millionaire one year, and then would they be destitute and having to move in with relatives. And Thompson as a young man, took it upon himself then to take care of his father. Would be absent for years at a time, just sending a little money or cards now and then. But Thompson would he took upon himself to support his family, support his mom and his sisters. And yeah, so he took these jobs working. He would work all night at the hotel and then go to high school and fall asleep in class. He was just constantly working. One of the oedipal stuff in the Grifters, and that shows up in Thompson's other books is because that was a lot of them. He's constantly killing his father and attracted to his mother or his sisters, things like that in the books. And I'm not suggesting that that Thompson really did any of this stuff, but a lot of those themes that come through and motifs that show up throughout his work there are here in the Grifters come out of his real life, and yeah, if you're interested in Thompson, I can't recommend that the Savage Art book by Robert Pluto enough. It was really great. I'd been aware of it for a long time and wanted to read it for a long time, but took the occasion of this episode to finally do it, and it was amazing.
Speaker 5: It's probably one of the best. And yeah, I were the years ago about so many of those things still stick with me today. And then I don't want to remember where I read this, but I want to say that Lily's look that she apparently looks a lot like I'm one of Thompson's wife's, but I found that interesting as well. But I don't know how much that was intentional or not, because that's a very specific look that she has going there, with the white hair and the way that it sticks all up. And then you get that echo again with Moira and that whole idea of yeah, he's just basically sleeping with his mom every time he sleeps with Moira, and that whole thing too of her with the separate rooms. And I want to say that they actually flip that from the book was it. I think it was Roy's idea to have the separate rooms so that he could grift and do whatever he wanted to without Moira knowing. And then and then she he actually, oh yeah. In the book, he gets up early one morning and he this is not in the movie. He gets up early while they're down in La Joya and takes a trip into I can't remember which adjoining city and goes to a bar and sees this old punchboard in the bar. He starts up this whole like friendly conversation with the guy who's running the bar, this guy named Bert, and he sees this punchboard and he knows it's an old drifting trick, and he intends on stopping it and tell you, or that's what he is telling himself anyway, that he's going to stop and eventually tell Bert, listen, you got rooked by this and you need to throw this thing away basically. But before he can do that, wouldn't you know, there's an undercover cop inside the bar who comes over and basically abuses Roy, doesn't arrest him. Roy manages to kno get his record a smirch at that point, but he calls all over the place, including calling Moira, and that I think is really what tips her off to what's going on. And then when he comes back to the room later on, she's not there for a long time, and she was actually at that point going over and finding out more about his mother because of the race track being right there too. That's a little bit of a twist that's happening in there, and I'm glad that they dropped that. They really didn't need that whole scene because the way that she figures him out in the movie, I think it takes a little bit of a longer time, or maybe not. I'm curious what you guys think as far as when is the first moment she realizes that what is it? Game meets game? Her attraction to Roy is based probably on the grift and she's, oh, this guy has something else happening with him.
Speaker 2: Her intention with Roy, I don't remember from the book what their meeting was. I remember it was explained in the book, not in the film, but I do know she is looking to replace her partner she can't work with any longer, and I think she is grooming and it isn't until she catches him drifting on the train in the film that she's confident she can make her pitch to him now. But yeah, I think that was definitely on her mind for their whole relationship, which I think then mentioned in the film has been about two months.
Speaker 1: Only two three flashbacks in the film when he's with Eddie Jones, who plays that great.
Speaker 2: I love that, actually do love that scene.
Speaker 1: It's one of the few human, lovely, light touch emotional scenes in the entire film.
Speaker 2: When we're always lying on the bed and.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know it, but he's dying and he's sort of tossing the coin and he imagines Mints walking into his hotel room, and Mitch just gives him this sort of eternal smile as if to say, oh, what the fuck have you got yourself into now?
Speaker 2: Kid? Come on?
Speaker 1: And then he has that flashback about when he first meets Mints and they talk and Mince basically says, you know what, and Roy does I want to be a grifter? And Mince basically says, first rule, no part of it's you know partner, takes your split down the middle and what's it? Apple on your head and against the part or a shotgun? No, no long con always the short cut and that's the bible he's lived with this entire time. So I do wonder whether Moyra is playing you, but he's just alert to that. One of the mysteries of the film. Will never knows.
Speaker 5: He's got a code, you know, he's got a code. I think his mother has a code. I think Lily has a code, but I don't think Moira has a code. I think that she is going to she's opportunistic in any way, and she doesn't have that idea like for him. He just he's content to do the shortcun He's content to get ten dollars change for a twenty when he puts down a ten. You know, that's a big thing. That seems to be his money maker. And he's been doing this long enough and squirrelling out his money that he can have. I think they say fifty thousand dollars in the book, and this is nineteen sixty three money. Guys, he's got fifty fifty two I think thousand dollars saved away. And you know that he he only uses that money. The only time it really comes out, it ever comes out from behind the clown paintings is when he's trying to pay off Lily. He thinks that by throwing money at her, literally, that he's going to pay his debt because he hates to be in debt to her. He hates her so much because he thinks he had such a shitty childhood and I think he did. He had such a shitty childhood that he's just I don't want her helping me, like it's a dreadful thing. That she was the one that got the ambulance that got him to the hospital, that saved his life. And she says that she gave him life twice birth and then saving him for this, and he's just desperate. I don't want to owe her anything. So he tries, hey, his own mother off with four grand to be like, there you go, that's gonna be good for the hospital, right, Just fuck you, Lily. And sometimes he wants.
Speaker 2: To the shot when she's killed him and he's lying there dead on the ground or at least expiring, and she's weeping, she's grieving, she's so upset that her body she's heaving. But the shot is really sick. It's just sick. He's lying on the ground and she's kneeling beside him, and the way she's moving and just the light, the composition, it really looks like they're fucking and it's just one more great little layer of nastiness in this movie that the closest they've been has led to this.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty horny film. It's because there's all that. Because also there is that scene in the book where Layra is trying to sell the jewelry to the jeweler, which in the film is that terrific character actor Stephen Dobolowski is that dorky guys and ground all day and he's in lots of other things. And in the film, she just doesn't that the jeweler said, look, this is the other book. The jeweler says, look, it's not real. It's not real diamonds. I can't really give you much for this, and she goes on her way. But there's this great we in double on Pondra See where the jewelers basically saying, oh, look, I'm sorry about this. The diarlands are fake. I can't give you much. But look, if there's anything else you think we might be interested in, you're a valued customer, just let us know. And she's she basically says, there might be there might be one thing, or I would have to see the merchandise, but you're looking at it. A terrific little introductory scene to Moira. Her particular anxiety in the book is that she knows she can't keep selling her body. She knows that it's a finite resource. She's getting old. She didn't want you to start with, but she also knows that she gets older, it gets harder, it takes more out of a It's a tough saying in that book, where she's still ruminating that she needs she needs money, and she needs it fast, and she she can't get it selling her body. So what's she going to do?
Speaker 5: Yeah, at some point the rent's going to be due and the landlord's actually going to take the money rather.
Speaker 2: Than that's right, that's right the lady or the loot.
Speaker 5: Yes, And then that whole weird thing of it. And that's an odd carryover from the book. It's because she and the character is basically Langley called Langley. They would read magazines and they would laugh at all of the catchphrases for the advertisements, and so in the movie they keep that with her suddenly saying all of these crazy things, well, that are all like written for out of magazine. It's all advertising pattern and talking about like germs and your crevices and things, and it's just like in the movie. I'm like, what the hell is this? And you know, I'm so glad I read the book because now that makes a lot more sense.
Speaker 2: Broiled hot house tomato under generous slice of ripe. She's the Moira Langley story. Oh god, yeah, I need to bring back your wirey zone as when talking about somebody's crotch, what was that? Sorry, I don't remember the She said that a couple of times to the landlord. The first one was something like, got something wrong with your wiy zone? And then as she's laid out on the bed naked, she's talking about a car as she's running her hands over her right naked body and how the stick shift handles and the immaculate wires and owners. It's good stuff, good stuff.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 5: All right, We're gonna go ahead and take a break and play back a couple of interviews. First up, you'll hear from producer Peggy Risky and then producer Barbara Defina, and we'll be back with both of those right after these brief messages.
Speaker 9: Hello everyone, This is Malcolm McDowell. I just want to say that this is a request to listeners of the Projection Booth podcast to become patrons of the show via Patreon dot com p A T eo n dot com slash Projection Booth.
Speaker 2: That's pretty simple. I think you can do that.
Speaker 9: It's a great show and Mike he provides hours of great entertainment. So now it's time to give back my little drovies. Settle down and take a listen and have a sip of the old Molocco and then you'll be ready for a little of the.
Speaker 2: Old in Out, in out real horror show. Bye bye.
Speaker 5: All right, welcome to the interview portion of the show. First that you're going to hear from Peggy Risky, who was one of the producers of the film. Taught to her about this movie as well as her work on the Trevor Project. How did you get interested in filmmaking as a kid?
Speaker 4: I remember watching Saturday Mornings TV where they had all these old movies programmed, so there'd be the old serials, there'd be those great black and white romantic comedies from the forties and thirties, and Charlie Chaplin and a bunch of other stuff, and I was just fascinated by a world way beyond mine. I grew up in a small town in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, so seeing these whether it was The Thin Man or Casablanca, whatever, all of those worlds seemed exotic and radically different than my own. But I think movies really helped me see and introduced me to the wider world in a way that got planted very early for me. So filmmaking fell into it. There was actually a teacher in high school who had us make super eight films, and it was very odd. This was unusual at the time, but mister Fitzpatrick, there you go, and we'd have fun making them. And I made a little stop action thing of shot glances dancing to the song Tequila. I wish I could still find it. And then as I went to college in undergrad our town had just started a cable television station, Public Access, so we got to make programming for that, and I started to begin to know more about storytelling, and we also I had film production classes again. Another wonderful professor there named Roger bullis very supportive and helpful. And then I went to graduate school. It was video TV film got to keep doing more stuff and more narrative based productions, and all I can say is, I knew I wanted to make movies, really wanted to make movies at that point, but I have no idea how I go about it. But I didn't know I wanted to go to New York. I thought New York City was just the coolest place in the world you could be, and I really just followed my instincts. I'm sure much more logical choice would have been Los Angeles, but the big city to Big Apple called, and I went. When I started working in New York, I actually got a job. My first job was as a receptionist for a company that made corporate films, and within a year I was working as a producer director for them. And all that background and experience I had making films all through those college years actually paid off. There were a lot of people who worked on stuff but had no idea how this was. Like when videotape was just coming. I'm really strong, and nobody knew how to run a tape recorder, handing that stuff and go to college, and the jobs that I had working through college all involved me dealing with that kind of stuff. That's how I got involved. Starting out, while I was in New York, I met other people involved in the film business, and after a couple of years I was able to cross over into working on narrative stuff. And then oddly enough I transitioned from doing industrials into helping people prep feature films like for free, helping to learn the skills involved in breaking down movies and strip boards and all the things you do to create a production shooting schedule. And one night I go to a party and I meet John Sales and Maggie RAMSI there and John had recently made Return of the Sacocca seven, which was, as we know, very popular and tied into the burgeoning start of the independent film movement. John Cassabetti's was one version, and then the next generation was people like John Sales, the Coen Brothers, Jim Jarvish, and I was in New York and started working with John in that period of time. This was in the eighties, and life happens. There was no big plan. It was an accident. We hit it off that They told me they were making another movie, and I said, if you need somebody to help sign me up, And they asked me to come in and production manage this low budget film called Leanna, which we had fun making in and Hullboken for really a small amount of money. And then after that was done, Magie, who's John's life partner and has been a producer of his films his whole career. Meggie said, Hey, we've got this other movie when we want to make, called mate One. Would you like to produce it with me?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 4: So after making one other film, I got to be a producer. But the truth is it took seven years to make mate Wan, and in the middle of that process we actually thought we had the financing. It fell apart overnight and we were sitting around depressed, and John said, I've always had this idea about a movie about a black extraterrestrial who winds up in New York and starts to read secret messages in graffiti in the subway. And so that went from a dream and that one line concept to John go's ave got two hundred and fifty grand. Do you think we could get a movie like that in the canon. I'm sure we could figure it out. And we made The Brother from Another Planet. Six weeks later we were shooting that was it. That was my first official producing credit, and I just kept going.
Speaker 5: Since why did it take so long for Maytwan to nder fruition?
Speaker 4: Think about it, Here's a movie about truly one of the bloodiest conflicts in American labor history. But it wasn't exactly the most popular topic at the time. And John writes sophisticated films that are about class, culture and capitalism. May One was not a ringing endorsement for any of those things. What finally happened is that we made that film for a very low budget given the scope and scale of it, which was a period nineteen twenty epic and Virginia, and we got the financing largely based on John's reputations of foreign sales based on what he could bring in. And then God bless we got James Earl Jones to start in a supporting role as the leader of the black miners who are brought in to be scabs but wind up joining up with the union the local coal miners who are out on strike, and we cast people who were not well known yet like David stuthan new Oscar winner, was in one of the very strong supporting roles. Chris Cooper never been a lead in a film. He was the lead in Mate One. It wasn't a movie that you sold on names particularly. It mostly wrote on John's reputation and previous track record. And the truth is, by that point he had Skaka seven and Brother from Another Planet, both of which were very successful at the box office, and that helped us get the financing. But it took seven years from me wanting to get financed in John's next movie after that, Eight min Out, which I also helped produce, was made a year later, and that had taken eight years to get financed.
Speaker 5: Phillah, tell me about The Grifters, How does that come into your life?
Speaker 4: The Grifters was honestly one of the best experiences making a film I've ever had, and I think that it was partly where I was in the trajectory of my life. It was also branching out into making a film that was a little more high profile. Martin Scorsese and Barbara Defina were the producers. But what happened is by the time The Grifters was getting ready to go, they were going off to make Last Temptation of Christ. They needed someone to produce the film in their stead, at least through the production period. I get a call one day, did I want to come in and talk to Stephen Prayers about this movie he was going to make? And this was when I was living in New York. I go to I forget if it was the Algonquins Hotel and meet with Stephen and it was the most fascinating interview ever because all we did was just chat about movies, favorite films, things that had to do with family relationships, the weird overtones sometimes and on who was a little too flortacious with one of my brothers, all the stuff that starts to touch on incest in a way, but he can't really tell for sure if that's what's going on. And he never asked me anything, particularly about what do you know about production? It was like and this was actually one of the great things I admired about Stephen. He clearly knew my credits and that I had history before I was coming in. He knew that I had made some kind of mark as a producer in the independent film world, and he respected that. And the dynamic between a producer and a director is a lot about understanding of shared vision. Do you understand as a producer what the director's going for how can you help support translating that into the actual film and all the many decisions that have to be made along the way about where do you put the money? And I don't know. At a certain point, it's do a sense you can get along, communicate well, and do you have enough experience to do what's required. All I can tell you is whatever that magic combination is supposed to be, it seemed to happen, and I walked out a little stun going. That was the oddest kind of It was just a great conversation. And the same thing happened with other people. I know because I recommended a friend to be the script supervisor and she came out saying the same thing. Like they started talking about famous Polish filmmakers. Her last name was Polish. All this kind of stuff, and that was just Steven. And part of the way he treated people on the crew was about respecting what they brought to the table and trusting it. And somehow that just came through without him ever giving you a compliment. He's not prone to compliments, but he felt it more than you needed to hear it, and so people would really do whatever to help support him getting what he wanted on screen.
Speaker 5: Was the film cast by the time he came aboard, or were you just forming the crew at that point.
Speaker 4: By the time I came on board, Cusack was attached. I think a net Benning was attached, but I still had to cast Lily. And that was when they were still interviewing actresses for the part. And I remember that there was a moment that Marty came into town to meet with the three finalists for the role of Lively, and I do remember Stephen saying he was sitting in the room with Angelica, Houston and Marty and of course himself, and it's not going well. It's whatever was happening. Angelica seemed very what I suspected. She was nervous, but not particularly forth company talking bus and I wish I could remember what happened. But some question he placed because he, I think, really felt strongly about Angelica forever. All something he said flipped the switch and all of a sudden they just went the right direction and was very engaging, and Marty came out agreeing that she would be the best choice for the role, and.
Speaker 5: She was, yeah, I can't imagine anybody else playing that role.
Speaker 4: No, I still think It's one of the best performances by each of those actors, by John Cusick and Nim Benning and Angelica.
Speaker 5: Houston on such a strong supporting cast too. I love Pat Hinkle. He's always so great to watch.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: I tell you Vicky Thomas did the casting out of Los Angeles. And Vicky she has I think a box of cards she started collecting at eleven or twelve where she'd write notes about favorite actors from her TV.
Speaker 2: Shows and stuff.
Speaker 4: Vicky knew actors that Marty wasn't even familiar with that came in.
Speaker 2: She knew all.
Speaker 4: Those actors from the forties and the fifties in the sixties who are still kicking around, these really great character actors. And VICKI I think her stamp is on that film in all those wonderful phases supporting characters.
Speaker 5: I had heard that Timothy Carey was in contention at one point.
Speaker 4: I don't know about that one. Maybe Barbera. Well you look at his face and you go, yep, does he belongs in that film? Oh yeah, But I don't know what really happened.
Speaker 5: So were there any challenges of updating a book that was set in earlier time to this more modern era where people don't really even use the term grift that much. Maybe now, maybe since twenty sixteen with our former president, but now we know all about grifting.
Speaker 4: In terms of translating the film from the period it was written in to a more contemporary setting, Stephen took a very conscious approach to wanting to help it feels and worked with I think tuly one of the best production design teams ever that was led by Dennis Gasner, with incredible support from Leslie McDonald and with Nancy Hay who are just incredible art director and set decorator. There was nothing in that film that wasn't at least ten years old, so it without ever going black and white and literally that noir ish look. I think he created a beautiful with a great production team, neo noir look that makes that film when I look at it, and I saw it recently, it still holds up. You can't quite figure out when and where it was set, so it doesn't age itself. Stephon was in love with the language from the book and so all that stuff that would have seemed anachronistic to us. It was like put it in and that great line get off the griff Ry, you haven't got the stomach for it. Loved all that, and I do think it exsolutely brought that word back into the lex Acount. I never heard it before before, seen the book, and of course reading a screenplay.
Speaker 5: From what I understanding, Please correct me if I'm wrong. One of the main jobs of a producer is to solve problems. What kind of problems did you have to solve on this one?
Speaker 4: It's true that a big part of a producer's job is problem solving. That in helping ensure that the whole ship is moving in the right direction right and that everybody the right hand is talking to the left hand, et cetera, et cetera. One of the challenges, and this is not in common, is you find you never quite have as much money as you would like to make a film. And so we got to a point where we realized that we weren't have quite as many days as we wanted, and that this did not really get understood until after the fact. But the financier was actually getting into trouble. I didn't know that, but I didn't know all of a sudden the movie was getting cut back, shipped away at by a couple hundred dollars, And what happened is we discovered later they went bankrupt. But in this period of time, we're just like, Okay, there's a squeeze. We've got to figure out how we're going to adjust. And one of the things you always look at is are there any scenes that can be cut? Because as soon as you cut scenes, you can save on shooting time, and you can try to nickel dime your way through it, which you do, but you really at some point go can you cut scenes? Can you compress shooting? Can you save on gays with actors? Those are the big things you tend to look at. And so there had been a couple of flashbacks written into the script that, personally and lovely as they were, I thought were probably extraneous, that they would probably never wind up in the final cut of the film. And I went back and forth with Stephen about that for a while, and he, like every good director should, wanted to fight for everything, but at a certain point he saw that the writing was on the wall and if we didn't come back with an adjustment to close the gap of a couple hundred thousand dollars, And so I finally was like, okay, we'll cut a couple of these flashbacks, So that helped. And then the other thing is always having a good relationship with the people who are heads of the department and to really genuinely create a relationship where they know you're pulling for them. You want them to look good, you want them lovely, to look good. But then there becomes this assessment you have to do about where do you invest it, where do you want to impress the most with production value, and then where do you know you can cheat it. And with movies like The Grifters and several other particularly period films they've worked on, you realize you got invested in the beginnings of the movie where you're trying to sell the period and really get the audience bought in, and then you can cheat later on and put corners once you've established.
Speaker 2: The world and they're really in it.
Speaker 4: And we did that with The Grifter to some extent. The Grifter was both interior a lot of ways, and yet it had these racetrack scenes and two different racetracks and required traveling to reshout one near Los Angeles and the other one in Phoenix, and so you still had a somewhat ambitious scope to do with certain things, but there's also tricks you try to do when the money is tight, and that's a lot in the area of location scouting married to the production design, try to find places that bring a lot of the look already to the table. For example, one of those great last shots where Lily's going down in the elevator through that old elevator that was over on wheel Share the east side of town was great Bryce and Something apartments and there it is. I think of the Grifters every time I drive by them. Wonderful.
Speaker 10: So that was it.
Speaker 4: But you're always trying to figure out and you can only do that in consultation with the director and trying to get a buy in from the director about really what do you care about? And my job is to give you options for where we preserve the most important stuff. And here's one, two or three different ideas about where we could maybe scrape compromise, do we really need x amount of critain days. These are the kind of things you wind up talking about. But it also has to be put within the context of what is the most important for the movie and telling this story, and that's also your job as the producer.
Speaker 2: Is to protect.
Speaker 5: You said that this was one of your favorite films to have worked on. What were some of the better memories that came out of this?
Speaker 4: For me making The Grifters, it was the first time I shot a film in LA and to come to LA with that grifter world as part of the introduction to really getting grounded in Los Angeles, it was pretty great. It's a wonderful metaphor for Hollywood in subplays. The Grifters was one of my favorite experiences because of the extraordinarily gifted group of people who worked on it in key capacities who are also manages.
Speaker 2: And just people you like.
Speaker 4: And you did feel like you were all pulling together towards the same end goal, which means egos were kept largely in check. And I love people who fight for their department and what they need to do. You always have to negotiate and you can't always give. But I love people who have a clear vision but also get involved with you as a partner and problem solving and figuring out what can we trade up to make this work. I always felt like we were all pulling in the same direction. But you look, you had Dennis Gassner, one of the best production designers in the world making that movie, designing that film earlier on in his career, surely one of the most gifted costume designers I ever met. Richard Horning, who regrettably is no longer with us, Oliver Stapleton, who shot a bunch of Stephens films and is great. Mick Budsley, who's cut almost all of Stephen's films that he's directed, who is a gem and very good at his job of storytelling in the editing room. Vicky Thomas and I have remained friends to this day. I loved what she brought to it now. She also worked with Marty's legendary casting director in New York as well. But this was a great moment in all of our lives. I think where we were still early enough in our careers that The Grifter was a real feather in our caps for moving on from there. And I think that's part of why I remember it so fondly. And you look at that film, It's crameless, and the story holds up, the telling of the story holds up. It had high production value. My god, we made it look more than it cost. I think he got to meet Ricky Jay who was the consultant on the Grifter schemes? Who is could you get anything better than that? You had Elmer Bernstein doing the score. I still can go that ditty of the Grifter, which that thing starts so fun in the beginning, and then it just gets darker and darker. Another one of my very strong memories from The Grifters was the scene towards the end of the film wax Roy is manipulating him to try to get the money she needs to run away and winds up killing him by whacking that piece of glass and inadvertently into his neck. And there she is keening over the body and has to pull herself together to leave. Big shot, big scene, climatic moment, three cameras on it, do it all, And so it was done largely with the coverage of the three cameras. In one take when Stephen coult cut I remember Angelica was sobbing she could not pull herself together, and Stephen basically, I shouldn't be and patted me on the shoulder. Go in and talk to her and help her, and I'm like, okay. And I remember going in and sitting with her. It must have been there was a bedroom on the side, sitting on the bed, and she just said it reminded her father had not died that long, much before this, and she just kept thinking about her father, and that grief just came over her fully in the moment. And I remember sitting there just trying to listen and be of some comfort and a witness to the moment.
Speaker 5: How was the film received when it came out.
Speaker 4: The reception to The Grifters was really positive critically, but it was not a knockout at the box office. In the years since, I really do think it's become esteemed and is considered a classic, a neo noir classic. Even with the critical support, it did not break over into wide success. But again you've got Steven his reputation and did well in Europe. It just didn't break out at the American box office in a great sense. But the thing about The Grifters now, I think is that it has just grown and grown in its appreciation. There were a lot of leather neil noir films made right around the time The Grifters. There were about three or four, and I don't think anybody respectfully recalls the other ones much, But most books remember the grifters, and it continues to be rediscovered with new generations, so I think it has become a contemporary classic.
Speaker 5: You said that you saw it recently. Are you seeing that with an audience or was that just on your own.
Speaker 4: I did see it big theater a while ago, and let me say it still holds up. That film was shot really well. Oh yeah, and I'll just say it again. Stephen is an amazing director who knows how to use the language of cinema and every tool at a director's disposal. I learned a lot about filmmaking working with him. Every time it pops up, if I'm run across it on TV, I just think, oh, I'll just watch a minute or two, and I allays be looking.
Speaker 2: To the end.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I can tell you how many times I've seen it by now. A boy still holds up. Also, one of the great things about working on that film was Stephen is his prodigious knowledge of film history and really talking about the other noir films that were evocative of what he was going for with this, but really finding out about some of the best Robert Mitchin There's Katee Fear, but all that stuff about how those male characters very often get undone by women. Sometimes if you're Bobie, you are smart. The woman you've fallen in love with, who, by the way, has turned out to kill your best friend. But what was great about Stephen in that story is he always said, it's actually not qsx's characters story, it's not Roy's story, it's Lily's. And that was what O'donald West like into writing script once he said it was Lily's. Donald's like, Okay, I got it. And that's the thing about Stephen's stuff. I think that it is in its own way very feminist, but no one would ever describe the film as that. But even in little things in the background, like that wonderful Henry Jones character actor that is at the hotel when you check in and all that, he's well, i'd always pontificating. And if you just look in the background, you see a woman just working mopping the floors, doing the hard work while he's there pontific So even in that that was intentional in a statement that Stephen, I know consciously put in women are always doing the work and the cleanup in the back.
Speaker 5: Did you get to work much with Donald Weslake Oh.
Speaker 4: Donald came out to location and while we were doing rehearsals, he would sit in on rehearsals and help tweak stuff. Yeah, but I wish I had more time with him, and I wish i'd had Honestly, I wish I had more or you'd take him more of an opportunity to get to know him better. But he was only out here a short period of time, so I didn't get to him. Barbara will have spent more time, I think Donald. What I will say is, when Stephen wanted to commit to the film, he wanted Donald, and he's the one who really I think pursued Donald. Didn't help convince Donald to do the screen.
Speaker 5: I had heard that he wanted Donald to use the Richard Stark pseudonym for the screenplay.
Speaker 4: That's very Stephen. I must say that I'm happy Donald put.
Speaker 5: His own name.
Speaker 2: Mother.
Speaker 4: I will say that, man, it was stunning. I hadn't realized the pseudonyms Donald dues, and how many books that man actually wrote. It's stunning. That's where he reminds me of John Sales. John Sales was just always knocking stuff up again, Like John Sales wrote The Brother from Another Planet in less than six weeks. We were fighting locations, casting, figuring out the budget, all that without a script. Wow, we have had the script, I think two weeks before we started shooting. Wo we would write out on outline of this is what's going to happen here all that, and we went okay, author from what we needed.
Speaker 5: Tell me about your film, Trevor, and how that kind of changed thejectory of your life a little bit.
Speaker 4: I love my Trevor. Let's see where do we start. I had directed second unit on several of the films I produced, and it's appointed, but I'd like to direct a movie or something. I just don't know what it is, and I guess i'll know when it shows up. And I actually cut to me being in New York. I had just finished up producing a film that actually turned out to be not a pleasant experience for me, and I even got to the point of, oh lord, I don't know if I if this is what it's going to be, I don't know that I want to keep going. It was really difficult in culture, and unlike any of the other films I had made up to that point, which were all really wonderful, collaborative, all on the sun page kind of experiences. But while I was in New York, I met a very accomplished writer named Eve Ensler who wrote for the stage, the woman who went on to do the Vagina Mounta Logs and all that. And she told me she actually had directed a little show downtown, a one man show called Word of Mouths, and she thought I'd like it, that I should go see it. Snowy night in December, I truned the land and the show was remarkable for many reasons, but within it was this seven minute sketch.
Speaker 2: As one.
Speaker 4: WOTON shows are comprised of about a thirteen year old boy named Trevor who the world gets turned upside down overnight when word spreads at school that he's gay. And Trevor is this a brilliant kid who just loves musical theater, he loves Diana Ross sent nineteen eighty one, and he just this charming kid because he's so in the sickcansiastic about everything. And what the writter had done that was so remarkable is he made it funny and heartbreaking at the same time, because the character does at a certain point think he should check out and makes an attempt to take his online and so here's this little, heartwarming, poignant comedy about suicide. I can only tell you it marked me. I loved it. I am a white, cis gender heterosexual woman, but I understood that kid, and I understood how it feels and the price of shame and how much SHAMEE can kill. I just loved it. I had my producing partner and friend, Randy Stone, come in to see if Randy and I had met making Little Man Take together produced that he was THEEP on it, and Randy, a game man, came out and I could see the same thing had happened to him, laughing, and he could still see he had cried, and he just said, look, we got to make a film out of that. And it was like, okay, it was avaran for both of us. Randy and I had both worked in the film world producing. Randy was a very accomplished casting director in television. He cast Expiles a bunch.
Speaker 11: Of other great shows, and we really took it on as a bit of a fluke, and luckily, because we both had decades of working with people in the business, we called in every favor in.
Speaker 4: The book to get this film made. We met with the writer who had never written for film before and worked with them too, I think wound up creating a beautiful screenpi and in the course of that I just realized I could see every shot. So at the moment it came to say going to direct it, I just said, I want to. I really see it. It's so clear to me what it should be. And Randy, who had seen some of my work as a sainame unit director, just said, love it, go for it. I think that's a great idea. So that's what we did, and so off we went. We raised money. What the writer Celestiless Scene had shared with us is that part of what motivated him to write that sketch in the first place is that he had just heard a report on MPR about the higher rate of suicidal risk among LGBTQ plus suits, and it turned out that the government itself had documented that queer youth were three to four times as likely to make an attempt on their life as they're straight peers. We know now in the years since that risk goes up to it at least ten times as high as raight peers if you'd come from an unaccepting family way. That was shocking to me. And when we made the film. I contacted friends who did educational distributor, and I knew that we would be able to use the film to get it out there in schools as like a teaching kid to help support mental health and talk about wanting to create more accepting environments for gain questioning. That was the coming together of it. We were lucky enough to raise money, friends, family, and we go ahead and we make the film. The film goes on, it starts winning awards at all these short film festivals and voila, oh my lord, we get a Tenny Award nomination for Best Short and even better when it was quite a remarkable night and I must say a very proud directorial debut for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So we're celebrating our soul, happy, all this stuff, and then this remarkable thing develops two years later, which is that we were able to secure and this has never been done, a unique slot to present Trevor with an introduction and wrap around by Ellen DeGeneres. And this was a ninety eight and it was the urgit. Ellen had just come out as Gate. So there we're going to be tons of people watching it, and we knew we'd get a lot of press around it. All, which turned out to be two. But I'm sharing the good news about this event with a friend who just says, there's probably going to be a lot of kids who feel like Trevor watching it. You should put up a number for them to call. And it was like a bolt of lightning hit me and I went, Oh, my god, she's right. And I thought, oh God, I just have to find one. There must be one knowing one a mental health crisis. There must be one in existence. Looked all around and I found two lines that said they were open on the weekend targeting, or rather set up to serve. If I called both them, didn't get an answer at either. And it was at that moment I said, if there isn't, then we'll just have to create. And that's where the producing chops come in. Producing is the word producings, make something, not nothing. And that's how the Trevor Project came to be and the driver helpline. So again I found somebody who was an expert in mental help and in sucide prevention. They were running one of the best services actually here in Los Angeles and nationally recognized. Wound up making a deal to piggyback with their counselor the head of it was gay. He had always wanted to do something like this for gay youth, and he was like, Okay, I'll train the counselors if you can find the funding to pull this off. And that's how we got it off the ground in three months time. In the years since, we were able to build up resources, bring the counselors in house, and up to the pandemic, we had offices and call centers in both Los Angeles and New York. Now we're fully remote, which I think is actually great because you can now champ people and entrained counselors remotely, and we have people who bring all different walks of life in different areas to working on the crisis center. One of the most striking things about the HBO experience for me, I was actually at the call center the night the film aired and premiered on HBO. I was standing there at five o'clock when the film ended and Ellen did a wonderful wrap up about it, and the number came on screen and the phones started ringing off the hook. Immediately, I started shaking, and over fifteen hundred calls came in that first night, and honestly have not stopped since Trevor's much bigger now it's a five hundred plus organization. I'm actually in a weird full circle moment serving as the interim CEO right now, and I have been doing that for about the last year and a half as we transition to our next leader. And it's extraordinary to me to be in this position. I've done with it for the twenty five years. It actually started around my dining room table, so it's been a really long journey I never saw coming, never anticipated, but it has truly turned out to be one of the most fulfilling and rewarding experiences of my life. And at this juncture, I've had a really wonderful career producing film, got to direct few things, which I love. I think producing made me a better director when I started, and directing made me a better producer after I had done it. I took that accrude knowledge and I actually was invited to come set up the creative producing program at NYU Grad Film and I did that and taught at.
Speaker 2: M YU for a while.
Speaker 4: Immensely talented people that came out of there, including people like Chloe Jah Ray Green in that period of time, and then I also served as a dean of a top ten wrining film school here in Los Angeles for a couple of years, and now I'm a CEO West in a transition period at the Trevor Project. So all I can say is life has fall surprises and I feel very blessed. There were lots of ups and downs along the way, but I'm grateful to be at this position now. I also still work with the me I've been an Academy member since the late eighties and I now serve as the chair of the Student Academy Awards Committee, and I also sit on the executive committee for the Producer's Branch. So I love I still have my foot in the door with the film business, and in some different ways.
Speaker 5: These days it sounds like you are a very busy person.
Speaker 2: I have been.
Speaker 4: And one of the other things I do that I just absolutely love is I've taught workshops for film independence global media makers, like I went to Tunisia and taught a week long workshop there on pitching and producing and I love it, And really, to be honest, I'm at the point where I get so much out of you call it giving back, but you always get fed by it. So It's definitely a win when exchange. But I'd love mentoring the next generation of filmmakers. I just and what you always try to do, and every good teacher that I know does this. You just try to help them not make the same mistakes you did. They'll make their own, but you just try to help them shortcut not to repeat some of the gaps. I try to fill in the gaps in my knowledge that I wish i'd had when I was starting out.
Speaker 2: That's what I try to.
Speaker 4: Imbue the folks I'm lucky enough to work with and teach.
Speaker 5: Ms RISKI thank you so much for your time. This has been wonderful.
Speaker 2: Hope you got some stuff you can use.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 5: Up next we have producer Barbara Defina. We started the conversation by me telling her just how many movies that she's produced that I've loved over the years.
Speaker 10: I was like a fly on the wall. I was like a production coordinator or assystem production coordinator. The first movie I ever worked on was a Sydney Lamet movie. It was called blood Kin, but I think it had another name when they released it. But it was great to see and James Wangou was the DPA who is amazing Academy Award winner, and I'm sure Robert Hooks was in it and Lynn Redgray. I had no idea. I thought it was just it was a great job. And then Little Murders of course with Alan Arkin and Elliott, and I think it was Marsha Rod was a great fun movie. I was coordinator again, and it's hard to remember all of the every once in a while and one of them pops up. Oh yeah, I remember that Interiors with what He was the only Woody Allen movie I ever did, and he and the DP were fighting. We were trapped out in the Hampton's in the winter. So it was I think that was the last coordinator job I did. But at that point I said, maybe I can do I'll do something else. I'll try, and so I did. But that was the end for.
Speaker 2: Me on that.
Speaker 5: How did you even get into that type of work?
Speaker 10: It was by chance. I wanted to work in the theater and I was always interested in sort of costumes and design and stuff. I'd been to the theater a lot, but I had no idea how you got a job there. So I got the closest job I could get, which was working for television. Commercial production company, and as secretary. It turned out that they had a little studio that I guess used to be an old stable or something. Now I think it's a grocery store, but they used to do commercials. Then you shoot the commercials there and for some reason, after a couple of weeks, somebody must have quit or something, and they sent me over there to work, and I met a bunch of the union crew and the place, of course went bankrupt several months later, but one of them said, Hey, my brothers the business agent makeup and hair, so i'll introduce you. He's looking for someone. So I worked at the makeup and hair local the IA for maybe six months or a year, and then the deal was he was going to introduce me to someone else to help me get into the business, which he did, and he took me down to the actually it was the script supervisors and production coordinators local, and I was lucky. It was busy and they had a spot for me. So they put me on the City Lammett movie and that was how I got in. So it was completely by chance.
Speaker 5: I know you produced the Last Temptation of Christ, but yeah, it took so long for that movie to get made. When did you first get involved with that.
Speaker 10: I got involved toward the end just before. Yes, they had problems and their threats of violence, and the theater owners wouldn't take the movie. So every time they would make a deal then that people would pull out because they couldn't make their money back because they couldn't put it in a theater, and Cineplex Odeon said they would take it. And meanwhile, Marty had been I don't know if he was with an agency, but he was introduced to Mike Ovidz at CIA, and Mike talked Tom Pollock into making the movie, and so Marty's out of gratitude, signed with CIA, and that's how the movie got made. And it was just when Tom Pollack had started at He was a great lawyer and had just started with the studio. I don't want to say naive, but freedom of speech, and as a lawyer, I think he had no idea what problems he had inherited. But we went to Morocco and we made the movie for a very reduced price. Part of the problem was that before I started, the budget was much too high and it was just too much to risk. So we had to do indie budget and do it offshore, and so that's how it got made. Still have problems in the theaters, but Cineplex Audion did deliver and it did get some theatrical release. But there were people out lined up outside. There were some women in blue who were lined up outside praying every day. Most of the people that were really angry had never seen the movie or read the book. They were just in theory, very upset by it. They also thought there were sex scenes and all sorts of stuff which aren't in the just nothing like that in the movie. But that's what happens.
Speaker 5: How did the Grifters come to you?
Speaker 10: It came from I forget who gave it to Marty to direct. There were two producers, Jim Payton and now I'm blanking on the other one Jim something. I can look them up, but I got my book out. So they brought it to Marty and they wanted him to direct, and he couldn't direct it, but he said he would stay on it and got Stephen Friers involved, who I think has just finished My Beautiful Wanderette. It was an early movie for him and at the time I think we had a deal at Disney, which was when you think of the material, Probably not a good place, but we might have just optioned it because we had the deal, and we might have had a discretionary fund. By that point, the deals were a very lush and we had discretionary money and you had overhead, and it's not so much like that today. And Disney decided not to make it, and so Cineplex Odeon stepped in the production part of it and they raised the money again, very small budget, about the same Stephen was great because he came from smaller budget movies and he did a wonderful job with it.
Speaker 5: Mccasting, it must have been quite a coupe to get Donald Westlake to write the script.
Speaker 10: I'm trying to remember how that happened. I don't know. We all became very great friends after that when Dora, because he was wonderful spirit, but I'm not quite sure we worked together after that. Maybe Steven got him. I'm not sure how we've wound up with Donald, but perfect person to write it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely. In that cast is spectacular, especially Jelica Houston.
Speaker 10: Angelica was wonderful, Annette, They're all so very young, and John was very young. John Cusack was very young. I remember having conversations with his I think was his manager because he had value at that point. But he was still very young to take on a role like that. But they were all wonderful. They're all fearless, and Steven too.
Speaker 4: You could.
Speaker 10: I don't think you could make that movie today. I think it's too dark, you know, a little gnarly. But I just watched it again because I hadn't seen it thirty years, and it was just I'd forgotten a lot of the crazy stuff. But it was really he really did. They all did. It's a great job.
Speaker 5: What were some of your favorite memories of making the movie.
Speaker 10: I don't know a favorite. Working with Steven and the actors. I remember these long conversations we had and there were a lot of rewrites, apparently because I was looking at the script and it was like every color. And I remember these long, complicated conversations about how to explain to the audience about the odds, how she was changing the odds and people get to't understand what she's doing. And the more we worked on it, and the more we tried to explain the worse of God, so we decided, well just say it and forget it, and people will get she's doing something bad and understand eventually what's going on or not, but that she's doing something that's making it the board change. But I remember going on and on about that, and I asked, one of my fun things is I asked, because it looks sort of period, but it's not. And I said to Steve and I said, so, what year is it? And he said it's every year, which is a total career's answer. It could be any time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it doesn't really seem to age. I rewatched it again recently and it feels very contemporary. Yeah, of course there's the cars. Yeah, not everybody drives at twenty twenty four.
Speaker 10: Let's I think in a way what he was saying. If you look around you, it's everything isn't from now. Everything is developed in their layers and layers of different periods.
Speaker 5: How often is the producer Are you on the set? Are you working like on a daily basis, or do you have several projects that you're monitoring all at once.
Speaker 10: It depends on the movie. I wasn't on the set every day on Grifters. I was back and forth from New York because they were in LA But there are other movies that I am on the set all the time time, but I've noticed that the longer I do this, the less time. I always go to the set, but don't necessarily sit there all day. Depends on the director, but sometimes it's better to make an appearance as opposed to just being hanging out.
Speaker 5: I imagine you probably do a lot more work before the cameras even start to roll.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, the movie we just finished. It's finished, but the legal and the paperwork goes on and on. The financing was complicated. If you're in a studio and they fund you, it's easy. You do a budget, they end, they send the money in a cash flow. But this was with a bank loan and a completion bond and an acquisition agreement. The beginning of this took longer than actually shooting because we had to deal with so many different entities.
Speaker 5: Sounds like that was the case for the grifters too, trying to get the money in line.
Speaker 10: It was, but the people at Odeon were very experienced at doing this, and also Cineplex Odio, and they might have sold off some pieces, but from our point of view, we just delivered the movie and they took over and they owned it and this case that I just did. Now, we didn't sell it out right. It's a fifteen year license, which is a long time, but then after fifteen years the rights come back. So we're trying to figure out what do we do on the fifteen years, what do we do with the LLC, and what do we do with because I've never had that experience before.
Speaker 5: How have you seen the business change over the years, Because you've been doing this for a little bit now.
Speaker 10: It's changed dramatically in the last I don't know, since just before the pandemic. I think the pandemic sort of set the streaming thing off. But in some ways I miss film. I know it took a little time waiting for it to come through the lab, but I don't find digital any easier. In some ways it's harder. We had to send print to Venice, and when it was film, you just call up and say make up a print and send it. And this is like digital. So we had to do the digital thing, and then we had to upload it and there were like three people uploading it, and otherwise it was just send the print. It's really hard sometimes, but I find I think there that a lot of movies don't get the theatrical releases. They don't all have to, but some of them this really should, and I think I'm hoping that might change a little. The Academy changed the rules so it's not so easy to qualify now as it was. I think it was just a week in the theater, and now it's different. It's more complicated to actually qualify, which I may be happy to see that. I think everybody was hoping that would happen. I have trouble with streaming. I hear about a great show and then I don't know how to I kn'd find it, and then when I find it, I forgot. But then I think there's going to be some contraction there. Maybe there won't be so many streamers and there won't also be so much material. I think the sort of economics have caught up with some of them.
Speaker 5: I totally agree. It feels like a bubble is about to burst.
Speaker 10: I hope it died. People hate it when you say that, but I think, because there'll be less jobs, and there might be, but there'll be better quality and they'll be less. It'll just be better for everyone. I think in the long run.
Speaker 5: Do you mind if I ask you about your experience on Goodfellas.
Speaker 2: Oh no, sure, yeah, I would love.
Speaker 5: To know what that was like making that, because that's one of my favorite films.
Speaker 10: When we made it, we had a decent budget, but it wasn't huge, and the actors other than Ray unknown. The studio I forget who they wanted, but they are also stories about who they wanted, but they finally said okay for Ray. But Ray was terrific and he wasn't a known actor at the time, and Bob got it made It's Warner Brothers. But it was a modestly budgeted movie. We made it all in New York and it was fun. The guys were everybody got along, thank god, and Paul Serbino was like the master and he was breaking to opera any chance he got, and everybody was having a good time. It was very violent, but and yet when you're making the movie, it's not violent. You see it, it's not real, and so it gets sometimes it gets funny. Yeah, but it was a good experience, and posts was calm. Selma was there, of course, Selma schoonmaker. Most of the time. I think we're in Queens And it's a story about how the studio were angry I forget what they were angry about. I think we were over scheduled, but not much over budgets. And they said we couldn't go to Florida because there was a scene in Tampa at the zoo. And in fact is we never really we're going to go to Florida. It was toward the end of the schedule and it was a little couple of little scenes, and so we just did it here in New York and the zoo. I forget. Maybe it was I forget which sue Brooklyn. I think it was the Brooklyn sue. And they got a lot of plants from like tropical plants, and there was a vacant lot and they put filled it up with these tropical plants. And that was Florida and it worked. It was fine. The whole point of it was hanging him over the cage. It wasn't really about seeing the zoo. It's just sometimes the imagination in the audience is more than you need. So, you know, I think we had a good time with it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that shot of the lion is what really sells it for me.
Speaker 10: You not need to know see the tropical but yeah, I think everyone had a good experience. No one expected it to do any real business. A studio was on. They didn't know what to make of it, and they didn't say anything bad, but they didn't say anything like really good when they saw it. Finally, so we did those preview screenings and they went really they really didn't go well. And we did a couple and then we went to in La. We went to an area just outside Redundo Beach, I think it was, and we had a screening there and first of the projector broke twice. And finally we finished the movie and there was a point in the movie that women used to walk out. I think it was when Henry was really all wired up, and they would just say I can't take anymore and they would leave. And so that happened, and then it was over and we gave out the cards and people virtual. People were really riled up about the film breaking and people started writing FU all over the cards. The crowd was not pleased, they're happy. So we were like, this is really bad, and we hit it. We went next door there was a bowling alley, so we went and sat in the bowling alley while they got the audience out. We wouldn't know what was going to happen. There wasn't any violence that I remember, but it turned out. And then we were terrified, of course, and they had the first screenings that invited some critics, and it's the very first small group and we were waiting. We think, oh, this is going to be like a blood bath, and in fact they were really good. They liked it. So everybody was shocked, especially the studio. But they would say things like, we really got a lot for our money and okay, but it worked out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, speaking of money, I've always been curious. The music budget must have been huge for that moment.
Speaker 10: Yes, I think he broke a record, and then I think he broke that record and maybe Casino, but it was I think we might have hit a million. I'm not sure, but it all worked. I think it helped the movie a.
Speaker 5: Lot, oh one hundred percent. I hear these songs now and I can't help but think of Goodfellas.
Speaker 10: I the Christmas song, I think it was the Rods, and yeah, it was just great stuff, great fun.
Speaker 5: I'll hear the end of Layla and I think of the guy floating through the trash kind of thing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and Layla. They turned us down originally, and finally the agreement was he could only use the instrumental part. He couldn't use any of the lyric.
Speaker 5: I think that works.
Speaker 10: It worked right, So, yeah, it's the movie now. When we did it, I think the violence was really shocking. Now I think the audience has become so used to the violence and stuff. It still works. It's still great. Every time you turn on the TV. It's been shown somewhere and it's chopped up, but it works.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 10: It's just it still draws you in. It's interesting. It's interesting how somehow a lot of it is the music and maybe the memory of having seen it before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and now the violence, some of it almost seems funny, especially with the stomping on Billy Batts and just seeing Joe Peshi getting so into it and Robert de Niro as well, just they're so excited to be kicking that guy.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we always thought it was. The script originally started with Little Henry, and we're worried because nobody came to see Little Henry the first fifteen minutes of Little Henry growing up. So we started, let's pick out something in the script and bring it forward. That's really shocking and really grabs your attention. So that's when we did this. That But when you look at the movie, when I look at it now, I think the most disturbing part is not the first time he shoots him in the foot, but the second time when he actually shoots him in the chest and kills him. To me, that's the most shocking. And that's when the movie turns because up until then we're laughing. They're doing terrible things, but we're laughing, and then reality sets in. So that's why the Billy batchling is up front.
Speaker 5: That makes a lot of sense. Yeah, and when he says that he comes from a whole family of rats with Spider, Oh yeah, this guy's got a whole family, Like they're probably counting on this guy to bring home the tips from the club, and yeah, starts your mind. In all these different directions.
Speaker 10: It's some interesting written, very reality based.
Speaker 5: I think you've done so many projects over the years. What have been some of your favorites to do?
Speaker 10: Actually, Grifters is one of my favorites. I liked you can count on me. It was when we read the scripture and this is really nice, sweet little and no one had any idea that it would do so well and touch so many people. Yeah, I wish Kenny would direct more, but I think it's I don't know. I won't speak for him, but he doesn't seem happy and he's directing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can see that. So it sounds like you're still going big time with their new projects and everything.
Speaker 10: I have a few things that I want to get done and I'm not really taking on much more. But there's one thing I shouldrive even crazy to do a movie about Tommy James and the Chundells. I won't go through the whole thing, but he actually, when he was very young, had a hit and just the tour in Manhattan and the music industry at that point they all loved and said we'll call you back, and the next morning all of them passed except Roulette Records. And they found out later that the guy who ran Roulette, Morris Leavey, was mobbed up and it was run by the Genovezi family and he had told everybody to back off. So Tommy's like a kid from the Midwest. He signs thrilled, and then he finds out he's working for the mob and so it's about all of the great music he did in that period. Because Morris was very generous with studio time and also creatively let him do what he wanted. He gave him a lot of hit but he also just kept all the money, so Tommy never got unless when they were on the road that got paid. Otherwise he never got paid. And so it's that's part of the story anyway, And we get a little bit into the de story how they actually sold the music, and also there was a mob war and Tommy had to go into hiding, so he decided at one point he says, I got to get out of here. But his music is just you hear it on TV and it's everywhere and other artists have covered it all. It's just great again, great energetic music that really moves things along.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And to find out more about how that was created. I've always been curious about that kind of weird moment in Crimson and Clover where the voice is fluttering and everything. That's fascinating to find out more.
Speaker 10: Oh and Crystal, it's funny Crystal persuasion. People think it's about drugs and stuff. He said, Actually it was about the sun coming up. It's actually this glorious sun rise instead. People we all think I have to breaking bad. It's got to be about bloom about mass is it? But you never know actually what the music is really about when they wrote it.
Speaker 5: Well, mster Fena, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: This has been great. Thank you. That's right, we're back.
Speaker 5: And we're talking about the Grifters. And I do have to say I know that neither of you guys had a chance to watch this one, but a really good double feature with the Grifters. Apart from people still lye in Liverpool, people are still having sex in Liverpool. What is it?
Speaker 2: No, stars don't to die in Liverpool.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, film stars much.
Speaker 2: Blossier than that, bock.
Speaker 5: Come on, okay, all right. Other than film stars don't die in Liverpool, you might want to check out the two thousand and four Spanish film in Cautos, which translates either as suckers or swindled. I found it under the title Swindled. Really well done con Men movie. There are some scenes that feel very much right out of this one, but it feels more like a tribute than a lift, let's say. And I thought it was very well put together. I think it's a really good con person film. Do you guys have any favorite con films that you go back to.
Speaker 2: I don't think you'd go wrong with those David mammontt con movies like House of Games and that Andrew Brought Up a Spanish Prisoner. I think Heist counts as a con film too controversial because it is a heist film. There is like an armed robbery and things like that. But they're running cons constantly in the movie, for up against the guard at the airport, or they're just constantly running little grifts, little cons as part of their haste. And so I think I think those three Manmett movies.
Speaker 1: Count as interesting the great films with good My guy is so cool. When Cheap go to Sleep, they count him. I think The Sting, which I mentioned already, is a great film. I'm a big fan of Catch Me if you Can Works Bielberg, the Three Film.
Speaker 2: I think that's actually works really well as a con man film. Are there any classic noir?
Speaker 1: There must be classic noirh Convent Nightmare Rally arguably a comp but that's more as a corn film, but of course classic film.
Speaker 2: Are there any other classic film? No, there must be other film con films.
Speaker 5: There might, I mean some, I don't know. How much of a con you have to have to consider it the con film. But it feels like you mentioned the whole idea of like the twist at the end type of thing, and there's so many like the Italian Job. And I don't know if the original was like this, but the remake definitely felt like there was a twist writing them towards the end, which made it more of a con film. This whole idea of and I know it's more of a heist film, but the idea of at the end of the heist film, you get the moment where you find out that your partner has been tricking you the entire time and they're about to take the money. And so there's the con at the end that that little pardon the expression, sting seems to be coming in to a lot of the heist movies now, where it's okay, the heist is done, and either you get caught or you find out that your partner's ripped you off and now you have to go after them. It's a cliche too, that this was an independent film, that this was Mirrormax putting this out rather than it being a big studio thing, which was the same thing for reservoir dogs. And yeah, I would be very curious to look into more because I've talked a lot about the Tarantino clone films, but this precedes Tarantino for me. It helps open up, but then Tarantino also does help open up this neo noir. And we've had neo noirs forever since Noir was over, there were neo noirs, but it really started to come in for me in the early nineties with things like and then I'd say, is this a Tarantino clone or is this a neo noir? Like something like Romeo is Bleeding, which I have very fond memories of. I should probably go back and rewatch it just to make sure that it's as good as I remember it. Just even things like Palmetto, the one with Woody Harrelson, and just there were like as the tarant you know, wave crashed against the shore, a lot of really good neo noirs were on the Sandy beach and surviving and thriving very well. So yeah, I'd be curious to see where those intersections are because I know, like the whole thing of the suits with the skinny ties that's coming in from a better tomorrow and a better Tomorrow too. John Cusack's wearing the exact same thing. It looks like you could be part of the Reservoir Dogs crew at the end of this movie.
Speaker 2: Just because I am partial to frime movies and heist movies and con movies, I can appreciate and enjoy a lot of them, the not great offerings that came out of that time that I know, people who have fire taste like yourselves can turn your noses up faster than I do.
Speaker 5: Hey, it's fine. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those movies you're talking about star John Cusack, because he's gotten into almost a Nicholas h type rut of making a lot of movies. But I think every once in a while he actually hit some of those out of the park.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know about his kind of director red box and streaming phase crime movies. I watched a lot of John Cusack movies this year and was pleasantly surprised that he continues to make every few years, has got another one that I go, Wow, that was really good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I loved him in Shiraq, the Spike Lee movie, and I know there's been something. Oh the Kronerberg film Maps to the Stars.
Speaker 5: I thought he was great, right.
Speaker 2: I know you go a long way too for Cornee. Oh hell, yes, I love that area.
Speaker 5: I would fight anyone who does not like that movie. It's so good.
Speaker 2: I can. Yeah, I will say I did not like kan Air when it came out. I was pretty disappointed by it when it came out. The fifteenth ray wall that you started to sink quickly, And that's where I keep rewatching them because it's like going back to the fridge every five minutes. My way, what are you doing? It hasn't changed. It's like, but I have my standards have lowered, and now I have and eventually I will really enjoy it.
Speaker 5: Pretty soon I'll be eating that American cheese and think that is the best.
Speaker 10: It is.
Speaker 1: Actually what a lot of filmmaking these days really just American cheese. There's reduced standards. Keep coming back and get that. Yes, those predative films will get better.
Speaker 3: P s.
Speaker 1: If I watch every single Resident Evil film, I'll start liking them.
Speaker 5: There are a couple that are somewhat decent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Ocean's eleven films, The Oceans thirteen, The Oceans whatever I checked don't mind those films. I quite then already con caper films. And I still think that scene in what is the Second Ocean? Is it Oceans twelve with Julia Robertson.
Speaker 2: Oh playing herself and they're playing herself as she umps into Bruce Willis.
Speaker 1: I still think that's funny.
Speaker 2: It's in a film.
Speaker 1: I just love that film, Like I watched that scene forever and I have on YouTube.
Speaker 5: Wow, I am so the opposite of that.
Speaker 2: I love. Then the old guy who's the old con man comes it, puts that phone down, don't you know's it? Phone waves? Damn into the ute us. There wasn't a bad Carl Rainer impersonation of a German. That's true.
Speaker 1: Really talk about freez, Come on, this guy's got a really strange but from where I'd see it, spotty up and down filmography and a guy that has just made films, and this is a good, a positive thing, has made lots of different kinds of good films. This film is very different to Dangerously aisons to high fidelity to this film isn't.
Speaker 5: That different from Dangerously Asons? The whole idea of the Frio of people fucking each other over, ruining each other in society. It feels very grifty to me.
Speaker 1: Well high fidelity, which I know you don't like. But also the film that really got Stephen Freers, Oh, I didn't get me out. I didn't get Stephen Frees on my radar because I didn't really think about who made it. But the first Threeers film I saw was nineteen eighty five. My Beautiful Word Drets, which was hugely influential, was my second year of university, is hugely influential in that sort of the menu I was in at university because it was certainly one of the first films I can remember seeing that was a consciously overtly gay film, had a gay romance in it, and the gay romance was between a working class Anglo British guy and a sort of up and coming aspirational, entrepreneurial Indian child of the British Indian parents. It did come from India to and I thought that was a Marvels film. I really watched that recently and I just think it's still quite a masterbl film, but at the very and then prick up areas, which is this weird kind of film without John Orton, the British writer, so he's made lots of different.
Speaker 2: Types of films.
Speaker 1: I think I'll stand by that statement, and I will die on that hill.
Speaker 5: I don't think anybody would fight you about He's made all kinds of different films for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think about things like The Hit and Gum Shoe, and I don't know how big Gumshoe is. I think I just happened to own that on VHS for a while, so I thought it was a big movie. I even like stuff like Pricapriers, which was one of the first times I saw Gary Oldman, and it was the first time I realized how versatile Alfred Molito is, because I really I remember he was making a lot of stuff at one point and I was just like, oh, yeah, this alpham Miliana guy's pretty good. And then I see him. It's just he's looked like a giant in that movie and was completely bald. And then, for whatever reason, it was around that same time that I learned that he was in Raiders of the Lost arc too, as a what I thought was a smaller Latin American gentleman. I'm just like, how does this work? How does this tall, bald British guy become this little Latin American job. Hey, this is wild, and I was like, Okay, Molina's got the goods. And I remember really enjoying that film as well. But yeah, he's so eclectic. And there's that documentary from the BBC director for Hire. I think it might be called because he is all over the map and but yet he can really hit some of these incredible highs. I think the last thing I saw of his theatrically on way back in two thousand and two with Dirty Pretty Things. It might have been the first time I ever saw chew Hotel Edgia four and wow again talk had the performances and who's the woman in that? Was that Juliet Binoche Audrey Tattoo, oh ad Tattoo. Yeah, that was right after Amlay. That's right that it's an amazing film.
Speaker 2: I really love that one, and I do it's funny. The first time I saw it, I thought it was very Jim Thompson. The whole setting, the underworld at the hotel reminded me of Thompson and the hit The Grifters. Dirty Pretty Things are my favorites of his filmography, his best crime films. I just watched a very British Scandal, the mini series with Hugh Grant and I Forget Then We Shaw. That was pretty funny. Another story of a homosexual relationship in two different classes in Britain. That was pretty good. Bike. He brought up the Gun for Hire documentary and in it he is pretty so of deprecating talking about his approach that he just takes on jobs. But I do think that there's a real through line to a lot of who he is or what he's interests in. So many of his films are about women and their place in the world, even something like The Queen, where it's hard to feel sorry for one of the most rich, powerful people in the world, presented very much how she deals with life, the expectations both of a monarch and of a woman, contrasts that to Philomena or pretty things and dangerous liaisons too. There's a whole lot of good stuff. Of his more recent ones called The Lost King Stirring for Sally Hawkins was good. It was a true Story's done a lot of true stories recently about recent history. I think that was the one I watched that I said, Oh, he's really got this thing about women being very underestimated and pushed down but pressing on and certainly ties into the Grifters if you think of it as Lily's story, how she's very much under the sum of Bobo and bides her time and plays her part until it's time to make a move. And I do think that's a through line in his work. She'll never be able to get out. You know, this whole thing with Moira is a blessing for her, that she suddenly can have a new life, and that she can pin everything on Moira, even when she kills Roy. Henry Jones is like, oh, hello missus Langtree. No, that's not her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So everything goes back and even leaves her car Weiver's car there.
Speaker 1: I do wander to what you say, Jed to whether don't tend to be a lot of I'm not saying it's a good or a bad thing. I'm just speculating now. It just seems to me the directors do a certain stick of film, like they do horror, or they do films about deck and sex workers, or they do certain.
Speaker 2: Things, whereas the prize is one of those directors.
Speaker 1: As you say, job Gunfy could turn his attention to anything, which is something that we don't seem to see as much as we used.
Speaker 2: To know that we celebrated so much. I just think I think that the people who specialize in a genre tend to make bigger names because yeah, maybe more visible. I think that people who you know, like a Frears or an Alan Parker or a somebody who keeps doing work in multiple genres and multiple things, is we don't think of them like, well, it's the same who made this one, it's the same go who made this one, because they are different enough.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing that I found really interesting about that lengthy documentary you sent us. The gun for hire or director for higher Freez has really got no idea about this film when he starts making it.
Speaker 2: He's got a copy of The Griffins that hasn't read it.
Speaker 1: He really doesn't have any great big ill or he's not a lot lot freaks, but Noir or Thompson like we are, or that kind of crime films. He's and he's he talks about the fact that all these people come and talk all these people, Tim Robbins and Sissy space It, they all come and talk to me about the film, and they want to be in the film and I'm considering them, and he's not really actually got no idea what he's doing it first, and it takes him a while till he starts to cast people.
Speaker 2: He gets Kuzak first.
Speaker 1: I think he gets Houston second, or ever it goes, and then they do Benning and I'm probably fill out all the other bits. But it takes a while for him to get into it, which I found quite quite an interesting perception, because interesting revelation, because I suppose the perception is that we would You'd think I'd be so into it and love the book, he'd want to do this film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great, you know, right into it from the get go.
Speaker 1: But no, we'll actually got no idea at first, and I have to feel my way into how I make this film and what the look of the film is, and how we incorporate the nineties, a nineteen ninety aesthetic with a nineteen fifteen film noir aesthetic at all.
Speaker 5: That I guess the older filmmakers feel to me to be the ones that will move around in genres, and even some of the classics like Martin Scorsese's Steven Spielberg. If you look at these guys and it's Martin Scorsese. Everybody's oh, he makes all these gangster films. It's like what I think he made, like three or four. But it's not like his whole uvra Age of Innocence and The Aviator, all of these different films that he can make. But he's Martin Scorsese's one guy who's doing all these things. He's one of those let's go see the new Scorsese film. I don't know how many people are saying, let's go see the new Frears film. But to your point, you don't necessarily realize, oh, it's the same guy that did this one as well. I appreciate that kind of journeyman approached the things. Even some of the biggest names of all times, like Kubrick. Every single movie is a different genre. It's not like he's making, Yeah, there's a couple of science fiction films in there. I guess you could say that Clockworkcorns's science fiction, and AI was his idea. But it's just like to make the war film, to make the heist film, to make the horror film. He was hopping genres all over the place. He wanted to be perfect, said every single genre. Maybe that was one of his motivators.
Speaker 1: And it gets them all much an anonymity, I think because I was constantly the director, I always confuse Priyas with his Mike Figus. There's another British director who's jumped around a bit in terms of genre. And there was another director that you talked about earlier, Neil, Yeah, that you mentioned. I think Jed you mentioned one too that you got on perker Me.
Speaker 2: I can't remember who it was.
Speaker 1: But yeah, anyway, these guys they're not big nice, They're just they're out, they're behind the scenes, and you when you dig down into one of their films, obviously you start to associate the thematic similarities maybe between some of their work. But they remained behind the camera, don't they.
Speaker 5: Even with our last conversation, Jedi mentioned Peter Hyams because I brought up Narrow Margin and some of these neo noirs and noir remakes that were happening around this time. And yeah, Hyams is another guy. I like Hyams. I follow his career, But I think a lot of people wouldn't realize that the same guy who did The Relica did Running Scared. It was just like very different films and wide expands in so many years he's had. He had a career that spanned so many decades ago, making science fiction classics like Outland all the way up to that absolute science fiction shit of Sound of Thunder. But he was working for a long damn time. It did a lot of different movies, Time Top, Time Cop. There you go, fucking classic cap Cornwill bought good stuff.
Speaker 2: I've come around on Time Cop. By the way you and I brought up when we did our Outland episode, I've come around Time Cops another one. I hated it when it came out, but I've become I still don't think it's great in its treatment of time travel, which is what really hung me up the first time I saw it.
Speaker 1: But you wanted a realistic depiction of Tom Cable. Yeah right, yeah, but no, it's a It is a film, Lane Joy.
Speaker 2: Now I'm doing a John claud Van damn podcast soon and oh nice.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Bring your podcast fives around.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's spreading his seed.
Speaker 1: Shaking his selling his little toush.
Speaker 5: See you could plug that at the end of this episode if you want so. Feel free. Okay, all right, all right, guys, let's go ahead and take another break and play a preview for next week's show. Right after these brief messages.
Speaker 1: If you guess Madam that commission again Smith ven photos invention, skip the new poofs photograph and he's.
Speaker 12: Only mine man hun los exact. This is stilly cut tring michletter do lit to a boom stand a phoning in mine bit desen for a gang in father fist ahead and happens in downtown. Yeah, it's little.
Speaker 4: In your hand.
Speaker 12: If it hit me, Bas acting for you and the ships see you globt man, your absolutely discretion.
Speaker 5: Best man and.
Speaker 12: Bas shtoya hint bugle fighting. It has tivy Ramos fightsak.
Speaker 5: Tifi Ramos. That's right. We're back next month with another bunch of Patreon requests, including Downtown from Jess Franco. Until then, I want to thank my co host Jededian Andrew. So, Andrew, what is the latest with you, sir?
Speaker 1: I have a new book out with Sam Deagan, who is another Projection Boost co host regular and it's called Revolution in thirty five millimeter Political violence and Resistance in Cinema from the Art House to the Grindhouse nineteen fifty to nineteen ninety. It's out through PM Press. It's in all good bookstores, and Beachure is a host of great writing.
Speaker 2: On cinema, including an essay by your good self, Mike, I'm in there, You're in there, You're in the shit.
Speaker 5: I made the cut, all right.
Speaker 2: I made the cut. That's what's happening.
Speaker 5: And Jedediah, how about yourself.
Speaker 2: I'm just thread around watching movies so I can be on podcasts like this and by the time this one comes out. Probably my latest episode on the Watch with Gen podcast, focusing on the career of Jean Claude van Demm with co hosts Jordan Harper and Priscilla Page, should be out. Jen jo Hans podcast Watch with Jen. I'm on there sometimes. Sorry, Mike, I'm not only on the projection poost. Follow me on Twitter and I'll let you know when that's out.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much guys for being on the show. Thanks to everybody for listening. If you want to hear more of me shooting off my mouth, check out some of the other shows that I work on. They are all available at Weirdingwaymedia dot com. Thanks especially to our Patreon community. If you want to join the community, visit patreon dot com. Slash Projection Booth. Every donation we get helps the Projection Booth take over the world.