Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Hello there, and welcome back.
Speaker 1: What is this place as connected disconnected? It's connected, disconnected.
Speaker 2: Disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnecting.
Speaker 1: Disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected.
Speaker 2: I'm starting to feel disconnected the number been disconnected. Hello there, and welcome to another Thursday this week live with one of my inspirations in this industry, mister Justin Beam.
Speaker 1: Hi, ah, thank you, I appreciate that. How did you track down all those lines from the different films? Were you like trolling scripts and control effing or what were you doing? How did you do that?
Speaker 2: I will share an insider secret with you after Yeah, please, I got it down. But I mean that. I mean everything that you've done through Reverend over the years has always been amazing to see important and when I started doing a lot of this, look to your success as somebody that I could try to emulate. So thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's huge. Thank you. I'm honored. I'm sincerely honored. Thank you.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of people stoked to see tonight. I don't always get a ton of messages, but today I got at least I think three or four from people. Just dude, you got justin on tonight. This is gonna be amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you everybody for tuning in. Whoever is out there watching, thank you so much, and thanks again for having me on. Man appreciate it, of course.
Speaker 2: I mean we were just talking about it's been over like almost exactly two and a half years since the last time you did anything with the show, and that feels far too long.
Speaker 1: It really does. Yeah, I mean, I love from afar admiring all that you're doing, and as I've acknowledged in the past, and so I love how you've been helping out the Terror Vision guys, getting Ryan and Brad are putting so much love into what they're doing over there, and it's been a tremendous period of growth for them over the last couple of years. I love your live streams with them, and it's this great kind of like polar opposites with Brad on one side of the screen and then Ryan on the other, and Brad's always like fired up and singing and stuff, and then Ryan's sitting over there like and then you're in the middle, kind of like threading the needle between the two of them. And you do a great job with.
Speaker 2: That stuff or orchestrating them as a man. It's a tough some time.
Speaker 1: Well, but it's exciting for what people are getting out of all of that is really it's like a real time presentation of the birth of a label. It's not Ryan's record. Label's been around forever and he's just done a tremendous job with that. But yeah, you're seeing a video distribution company come together like before your eyes, and I think it's just so awesome. I love it. So that's kind.
Speaker 2: Of crazy how they're growing, like released to release and seeing stuff, you know, for a company that was like, oh my gosh, they got Video Violence a couple of years ago, and now it's, oh, they got Student Bodies four K from Paramount, Like this is a big deal. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's just the beginning. I mean, even back when I was helping them out, the list of things that they have in hand is absolutely mind boggling. So kudos to them and also exciting. Not to make this a whole terror Vision love fest here, but kudos to It's exciting that Ryan has his own record press. Now. Yeah, when you guys were talking about the custom pressings, and all that. I was like, oh, because that's when I was working on my record, and I'm thinking, how cool would that have been to have something as someone who's buying the music completely customizable like that. I think it's great.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of that, Jake is he wants to talk about your album. You've had a ton of stuff happened this year. We'll get to the book, we'll get to more of the special features, but tell everybody about the album because I've listened to it multiple times and it's quite enjoyable.
Speaker 1: So thank you.
Speaker 2: I hope people check it out. Linking the description before he starts talking about.
Speaker 1: It, it's it was the most unexpected thing Ryan. There was no plan in place for it at all. And I've always been a drummer all my life, and that's not to minimize drumming at all or drummers at all, but that's definitely where my heart is rooted. And that's going back to when I was little in the Drumma Google Corps in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The Emerald Knights. Shout out to any EK alumni out there. When I was this little kid carrying symbols around that were like half the size of my body anyway, Drumming has always been my thing, but I've always loved guitarists. I've always had a real ear and passion for great guitarists. I'm like a tone junkie, and so I've been paying attention to that stuff over the years. And I worked in music retail where I was able to hand someone a guitar and not show them anything. I could sell drums a little better than guitars, as my friend Josh Luce will attest, who worked with me for many of those years. Anyway, this summer, or you know, earlier this year, a friend of mine gave John Stalter gave me a guitar. It was something that he had. He was wanting to downsize his collection a little bit, and he had a couple of the Kurt Cobain Fender Jag Stayings, which is a guitar that Kurt designed. And John wrote to me one day and said, hey, I I'm downsizing. And I always said to myself, if this guitar ever had to go anywhere, I wanted it to go to you. Oh yeah, how sweet is that? And so next thing you know, I'm driving over there and picking up the guitar. And then I and he lent me a little practice amp and a chord and I had my headphones and came home and it was like, you know, like in Dazed and Confused where the kid lays down in his bed puts his headphones on. But it was me with this guitar, just noodling around and if I started doing this, and I decided to experiment with recording. You know, I'm dealing with recording and film editing stuff all the time, so I'm like, well, let's plug this in. And then I started making songs and then eventually had enough to do something with. And it really is through the support of my friends everybody around me who just cheering me on throughout the whole thing, helping me feel validated in it, despite my self consciousness, which is near crippling when it comes to this same man, I just can't say enough. And on the liner notes for the album, I think a lot of I mean, all the people who were really like instrumental and pun intended in this whole thing coming together and then teaming up with wax Work on the vinyl was a dream come true. I mean, oh my god. Yeah, I mean, well, they're masters at their game. They know what they're doing, and people really love them and their work. And I knew the music was very weird when people ask how and when I sent a few songs to friends early on, they'd be like, what is this? Help me understand what you're doing here? So anyway, I wanted to instill some kind of confidence in people, and I thought that teaming up with a label like that, an established label that's famous for the quality of their pressings, will probably be the most direct route to that, and I found I mean, they were open to the idea, and working with them was a dream. And at a time when everyone's vinyls delayed, it seems like every new release, John Five's album came out the same day as mine, which is an insane thing to say. But what but he's amazing and shouldn't be playing with Motley Crue by the way, that's kind of like it's kind of like putting I don't know me and Trans Siberian Orchestra or something. I don't know. That's a really bad analogy. That was the worst analogy. I'm not sure that it was. That was kind of a mess. But anyway, it's a shame. He needs to be with Rob. He needs to be back with Rob Zombie. And that's the hell I'm going to die on here regarding John five today. But anyway, to the point, he announced his new album is delayed because of pressing stuff and with wax work. They gave me an estimated delivery date of like October eighth. I had it a full month early.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, you beat that by a lot.
Speaker 1: Huge amount of time. And then I'm like, do I sit on these? I'm like, no, people, anyone who pre ordered was getting them right away. So as soon as the order came in, and it's still the case. If someone orders one of these from me, I'm literally taping up the box, putting the stuff in there, and then driving into the post office. If not the same day, it'll be the next morning. I mean, it's kind of a process I've come to love actually, because it's yeah, I mean that I'm grateful. I'm really grateful, and I loved all the steps in getting it out there and into people's hands.
Speaker 2: So all of that, and he hasn't even said the name of the album. Phantom like Keeper check it out link is in the description below. He's terrible at self promotion, just like me. But he deserves he deserves the kudos.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you, man, thank you.
Speaker 2: But I mean, on that note, that's not even all you've done this year. Tell everybody about the book, because that was out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was crazy. So I've had this column with TV Guide's Remind magazine for a while. It's their entertainment nostalgia magazine. People might remember. A couple of years ago. I can't remember what year it was, maybe like three four years ago or something. They brought Remind, brought me in as the guest editor of their October issue, and I turned it into this Halloween franchise like love Fest and got a ton of great interviews, brought some fans tastic writers into the fold on it. It turned out great. Every subscriber to the magazine hated it, and I was hearing from them on it. They're like, so some subscribers aren't real thrilled because it shows I wish I had it sitting next to me, had I planned better the cover. This is a magazine that features like, I don't know, Eric Estrata on the cover every month and it's all vintage TV and good time stuff, and then this issue shows up. The cover is just stark black with Michael Meyer's mask front and center and almost no text, none of the usual. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the readers were just with pitchforks and torches, you know, when they saw that. But anyway, the horror fans loved it, and we did a cool signing at Dark Delicacies and it began a great relationship with them. And the next year I pitched a monsters theme because Rob Zombies Monsters was coming out, and so I talked to Rob about it, and he's like, Yo, let's do something, and so we did new interviews and behind the scenes things on that, and then I was like, I love working with his team because I'm all about like working with people I care about. If I find a place where I feel safe and good and where I am morally compatible with the people i'm working with, I'm just like I need to be here, I need to stay here. And that was the case with her mind, and so I pitched them an idea for a column every month that had nothing to do with what they're scared The paunch fans, Yeah, what is he doing now? He does a parade? I think he does that Hollywood Parade something like yeah, But anyway, I pitched them on a column about shuttered roadside attractions, amusement parks, you know, those kind of like tourist trap places that are along the route when you're taking a vacation. But I wanted to focus on the ones that had come and gone from the past. And so every month since then, I've been doing this column and loving it. The research is so fascinating, and I've discovered some of the weirdest, most wonderful people, weirdest places, wonderful people. And the real exciting part for me with that column is that it's spotlighting people who came up with the crazy idea and then just insisted that it become a reality, Like stop at nothing to make this amusement park where there's alligators wandering around free, and let's make postcards where children are riding on the backs of the alligators. And then let's actually let the kids ride on the alligators. Like this is one of This was real, and it was in Los Angeles. It's just one of many. But I've really delighted in that. And the book is a compilation of the first i think twenty seven months of columns with some expanded information on each one of the parks or attractions in there, and put it together pretty quickly, and frankly it was I haven't talked much about this, but I can maybe plant a little seed here that when I was a kid, there was a book series that I was obsessed with. I checked them out from the library so many times that the librarians would end up holding them for me when they got returned by other kids. So the next because I was there all the time. I'm sure my brother Mitch is watching this and he can testify to this. I mean, we're always riding our bikes to the library, and I was obsessed with these books. And then in they're called the Crestwood House Monster Series. Now, Crestwood House made many books on lots of different topics. I really admire their mission statement of creating accessible books for readers of all levels, aimed at younger readers, but not shooting too high with the vocabulary and references, but also not dumbing it down to the point where it's boring. For so they did a magnificent job of that, and they I have so many of their books. I have all the monster stuff from all their different Monster runs. In addition to their cryptozoology, they did books on things like skiing, like what is a Cow? And onto profiles of Ernie Banks and whoever else. I mean, it was a really diverse, exciting brand, and I've always been obsessed with them and spent my life accumulating them at different thrift shops and antique stores, book sales and libraries and stuff, because they were only available to libraries, and so the ones you find out there, again, I wish I had them next to me here, But it's great because they sort of tell their own story because they're tattered, they're worn. They have the cards in the pocket in the back with the names of the kids and the date that they had to have them returned, and I just treasure that stuff. And so there's a unique bond that many people my age have to this book series, and that ultimately the publishing company Crestwood House, and a couple of years ago I started working with my lawyer. My entertainment lawyer is Shelley Larry Zerner from Friday the Thirteenth, Part three. He's always been so wonderful to me, and I hit him up one day with the idea, can we see if this is doable. Can we track what's going on? Because Crestwood had been silent for a very long time, many years, and we ended up long story long, we ended up working it out, secured the trademark, and question what is coming back. But there was a deadline for having to have something on the market. You have to have a physical product on the market available outside your home state, YadA YadA YadA, proof of sale. And I had already filed two et extensions on that to hold onto it. And he reached out to me in January, yeah, I think it was January, and he said that the deadline was coming up again for the extension. He's like, do you just want me to file it? And I was like, no, let me see if I can do something. But and he goes, come on, because it was the part I forgot. This is like January ten three telling me this. He's like, you have until February fifteenth, oh geez. And I'm like, no, let's see if we can do it. He's like whookerl like I'll be expecting your email about the extension and three days prior. It was insane and so I reached my one of my best friends in the world, and the only real coworker I have is my friend Lenamaker, who lives in Farmer City, Illinois, where I used to work for the Illinois Valley Press, Farmer City Journal and some weekly papers there. Lynn is on teams with me all day. He's also my guiding light when it comes to like layout stuff, Photoshop tricks. He does graphic design for a bunch of projects that I do. He's like the angel that floats over me. One hundred percent is Lynn. I owe all my friends so much. Lynn is a very unique entity in my world that I'm eternally grateful for. But I wrote to him and I said, what do you think? And he's like, you can do this. He's like, let me know how I can help. And I had never laid out a book before. I had never heard any of this, And so with Lynn's guidance, with his help, I was able to get this thing delivered and done like two days, maybe it was one or two days prior to the deadline. And I sent Larry the email with a screenshot of the confirmation of the sale, like the first sales and the ISBN information and all that, and so the purpose of telling that whole story is that that book this year was to secure or solidify for me the Crestwood House trademark in trade. So now starting next year is a whole new focus and there's going to be many more exciting things to come on here and talk to you about and not wait two and a half years to do so. Relating to that, but it's one of my greatest, one of my greatest thrills in life because I loved those books so much. I just I just adore them, and I'm excited to do a lot of crazy stuff with that brand again and give people that nostalgic return to their youth in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: And you're bearing that torch to a whole new generation. That's cool. Yeah, Yeah, obviously you have done so much for physical media, So tonight after all of the announcements, we're gonna be discussing special features, how they get made, some of your most exciting ones. The last couple of years, you've had some crazy things like freaking Nicholas Cage, Like, we have so much to discuss.
Speaker 1: The story there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so hang out after the announcements tonight, but let's get into some of our usual stuff collecting physical media obviously you're contributing to it. Are you buying much anymore? Are you picking up a lot of new things? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I still get things once in a while. I'm super busy and so I try to stay up on it, but I'm not as current as I used to be, where I was always like waiting for release day for this and that. There are some things that I'll always be on top of, but really not as much as I used to. But there I have picked up a few things. You had mentioned prior to our discussion that we were going to share some of our new pickups, and so I do have a few at hand here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see what do you got? What's been importantly well?
Speaker 1: The first one to continue the terror Vision love fest is the WNUF double bill, which I already had the first film, but this is in Walmart. And that's one of the great feats that terror Vision has managed over the last couple of years is getting this stuff on the shelves of Walmart. I'll never forget back when when I was growing up, Walmart insisted on censored covers. Remember that movies that they would like see.
Speaker 2: Not even that long ago. I mean Satanic Panic that came out like five or six years ago. They had to release in Walmart with a slipcover that said just the word panic. They could not use the word satanic on it.
Speaker 1: It's hilarious and now they're carrying like anyway, like but they got I think it was Mallam was the one that really surprised me when Terror Visions film Mallam landed in there. The cover of Mallam is like two evil eyes and then just a blood pentagram in the middle, and I'm thinking, how in what world I remember the poison like open up and say, ah tape not being able to have the tongue. Anybody remember that out there? Oh that kind of stuff is what used to happen. And now Walmart's like, well, let's put I spit on your grave in here, and we got a box set of it. But this tremendous. I love the WNUF films, especially the first one, some of my most treasured, treasured discoveries over the last few years. Here, it's absolutely awesome. Are we going to take turns? Or should I keep going?
Speaker 2: Go right ahead? Go right ahead?
Speaker 1: Second one is a pickup because I couldn't find my copy of it, and I've also lost there's like a box of stuff since I moved earlier this year that it's still missing and it's killing me. But I could not find my collection of Roseanne's Halloween specials.
Speaker 2: I never would have guessed that at all, what you were leading up to.
Speaker 1: That I'm missing so many CDs, I'm missing movies. I couldn't find my Garfield Halloween.
Speaker 2: Special but it's a great one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so good. I can I know I have it somewhere, but I cannot locate it. But I could not find my Roseanne, and I was really wanted to get it. So I found a used copy of Roseanne. It's it says it's eight episodes, but it's stick with the first six or so. The last couple seasons of Roseanne were not exactly great, little understatement. And then Severn Beautiful Box, the Feeding Frenzy Box. This is a reverse on my camera, hopefully it's not. But six discs, three films, soundtrack CDs and this nice Christian the author of this. I was so blown away when this showed up. I instantly started flipping through the book before I put any of the discs in or anything. I opened it. Yeah, there you go, there you go, I I love stuff like this. There's a great there's a great book. That's all. It's like, the complete Bigfoot Filmography is what it's called. And in each case when I and it's thorough, it covers everything TV episodes, reality stuff, documentaries, feature films, and what Christian did with this book is very, very similar, and so in both cases I reach out to the author. I'm like, I love you and I love your work, and do you want to come do some stuff? And so I've actually been talking with Christian about teaming up on some things nice because this book is awesome. I mean it covers everything down to I mean, it's very thorough and gets into like the direct to two B type films that we're seeing a lot of now, like the CG stuff, which is appreciated because I'm always always been a junkie for Shark movies and say, mix the Italian stuff with it. And then this tremendous book that was an instant buy from several and so that's kind of recent pickups. They've been killing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's hard not to. Absolutely I got if you hear nothing super major, but stuff that I'm excited about. Def Crocodile put out a new release of their double feature of Signals and in the Dust of the Stars. This is one that they'd put up previously. They've been hard to find for a little while, and this is with one of their new slip covers. Really great animation stuff that they've been doing. Are you have you paid much attention to Deaf Crocodile.
Speaker 1: I haven't, no, no you, but you've mentioned that name to me before and I definitely need to dive in on it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of hard because pretty much everything they put out nobody has heard of unless you're attending like Cinematech screenings all the time. So it's it's difficult. But I mean, Dennis Bartok knows everything under the sun about films, so it's it's gonna be film school and I love that.
Speaker 1: So well, That's what I love about what OCN and Vinegar are doing too, in the diversity of the lineup of films there, and that you can trust Deaf Crocodile and his perspective on film to guide you into new territory and more interesting movies you haven't heard of. You're going to show up for them and their guidance, right and that's what I think Justin's done with OCN in a lot of ways, and a lot of those sub labels are now building their own very dedicated fan and so it's a wonderful incubator for that kind of stuff that no other label would pay attention to. I remember pitching stuff to some of the companies that I've worked with in the past, and they would just roll their eyes at me, like what, No, just no, you don't need to be asking us these questions anymore.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've heard that exact same sentence in the last couple of months. So yeah, uh, one thing, I'm super glad that Keno has taking a chance on more of the made for TV stuff. Yeah, so they're putting all the stuff dead a night. Just arrived literally today from Atomic Movie Store, very excited to see these. Of course, Amanda Rees is involved in a couple of the Dan Curtis things. She's always incredible.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's so good. And and they just announced there was another one that I just saw. I don't know if it was just announced or maybe released, but there's two or three in that Dan Curtis series from them, and I want them all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got one that I love the movie. I'm very skeptical of how this four K is gonna look, but literally just got here like an hour and a half ago. Wolf Creek from Imprint in Australia. I'm sure you've seen Wolf Creek? Yeah, yeah, how do you feel about it?
Speaker 1: I like the original. I haven't seen the sequels, but yeah.
Speaker 2: I've never seen the sequels either. I've always wanted there's a TV show. I've never seen a second of the TV show yet. Literally, there's like a three season TV show.
Speaker 1: Three seasons. Well, how many more times are people going to wander into the desert and encounter this guy?
Speaker 2: What you think they've learned?
Speaker 1: It's not even a camp with forest around it, it's just right lanes of Australia. Anyway, I'm sure it's great.
Speaker 2: The last thing kind of semi related to you, because I thought it was really cool to see Bloody Disgusting run a piece on Phantom this year that wash. That was awesome, incredible to see them promoting you. I had no idea that Bloody Disgusting had teamed up to put out shorts on Blu Ray at all. And they've got this series called World of Death, and I saw somebody getting rid of these on Facebook, and so I picked up with the first four volumes traded in for these. These all have almost thirty or a little over thirty in some cases short films wow that have been online, and you can still pick these up from Bloody Disgusting right now they're BDRs. But I mean, how often do you get shorts on physical media that aren't just a bonus feature as of some director's work.
Speaker 1: I've been saying that for years. I go to these independent film festivals that I love, and I see, yeah, because it's just this raw, unfiltered and un molested artistry and you're creating something out of your own pocket and when you're just I always compare these things to like the first album from a band. They are arriving in the studio with years of drive and just blood and sweat and whatever to get there, and that's something so pure that you cannot distill and that you cannot replicate. In Do Again and the world of independent film festivals. People, if you are, if you're jaded by what you're seeing on streaming in theaters, I will guarantee you that within driving distance is a film festival that is going to offer you nothing but fresh ideas. Not that it's all going to be great. I'm not saying that, but I'm just saying like, if you're opening yourself up to experiencing something new, it's out there and this is the place to go. And the thing is, the filmmakers are hardly, ever, rarely, almost never getting anything right out of having these films. In fact, they're spending money. They're spending and that's what a lot of people don't know is that to enter a lot of these festivals there's a fee and then they have to pay to travel to go attend. Not every festival brings you in and all that. So I mean, it's really a labor of love for these filmmakers and that's exciting. And I hope that they're licensed and cared for by Bloody on those sets. I think that's a tremendous idea and I hope they continue it.
Speaker 2: They have seven of them. I got to go get the next three off their site at some point. They're not super cheap, but for what they are, I think that's pretty fair. It's twenty five bucks each, so I got to look that up. Yeah, it's a pretty decent deal. You know you're talking about shorts. One of the big thing too that I've always appreciated about some of these fests is most of these directors, this is like their most honed work because they've been gearing up towards their first thing four or five years, so they've been polishing it like crazy, and they finally make a fifteen minute short and it's this massive work of art that they've been working on since they were nineteen and here it is finally in front of the world at twenty five or something. And now on their first feature, if they happen to get super lucky and can make it right after that, they only have eight months to make it or two weeks to make it, and it's not going to be anywhere near as polished or as fully thought out sometimes as that short can be.
Speaker 1: Well, they have no other cooks in the kitchen. There are cooks in the kitchen. But I'm just saying, like producer wise, which is what interferes with a lot of director visions. Yep, when you're dealing with anyone who's investing, they're going to have notes and things like that. Maybe the case, and with some of these shorts, I'm sure a good portion are, but I will say that just it is, like I said, pure. The purity that's associated with the presentation in those films at those festivals is so great, and they don't have to worry about offending people, about crossing boundaries, about blending genres. It's like and there are some great film festivals that are open to whatever comes their way in terms of we're only a horror festival. Yeah, well, what's considered horror. It's kind of subjective, and I love the festivals that are happy to blend, sort of mix the waters on that stuff.
Speaker 2: That's really speaking of watching films, what have you been staying up to date on what have you been able to catch recently?
Speaker 1: I saw, Oh, I saw Black Phone two.
Speaker 2: Nice. How'd you feel about the change in genres? Seemingly I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: I was never a huge fan of the original. I thought it was fine, and I really wasn't that excited for the new one. But I had a movie past thing, and so I'm like, I want to see something. I had a few hours while I was running exports, which can take a while to you know how that goes, or an upload. I think it was at that time and decided to go check it out, and I was so pleasantly surprised by it. I'm a junkie for winter movies, and this thing is one of the snowiest, winteriest, un abashedly frozen movies that I've ever seen. And so the weather was perfect that day. It was overcast and a little bit of rain missed outside. Cool weather finally here and I and so the stars aligned to go check this thing out. And it was a little talkie for me, is what I've said to some people. Yea, and some of the dialogue it was kind of hackneyed, but that's the final act in that movie is off the rails, and I so admire the fact that they went where they did with it, and I love that remote, snowy setting at this yep, I mean pretty much abandoned camp. I don't want to spoil it for people, but the setting is bliss for me. And then when you get to that third act and they're just swinging hard at the fences, I'm like, yeah, keep going, keep going. And I walked out very happy.
Speaker 2: So I would agree with all of that. Yeah, I saw it, and I liked it much more than the first one. Absolutely Okay, well, let's see. Showed my kids a couple of films. They are finally nine and a half ish tennish where it's like, hey, we can kind of show you some of the like soft PG thirteen type of films for some of them because they're okay with some things and not others. So I showed them Underwater from a five years ago or so with christ and Stewart. I feel like this is the perfect bridge to essentially Alien. It's basically Alien Underwater, which I loved that movie from day one. They were quite like enraptured with it, which I love to see. A big thing about that movie is, you know, two and a half minutes into it is where it starts and it never lets off. So they were like, oh, what's this, We're swimming? Oh my gosh, here we go. And then for the next hour and a half they were just one hundred percent in, which was incredible to see.
Speaker 1: I remember watching this is a while back. This is like years ago, but my son, he and some other kids were watching We had Friday the thirteenth on and they were almost angry with how bored they were with the movie. They just could not So it sounds like, you went the right You made the right choice there to keep them engaged and get them into it. That's exciting turning the kids onto that stuff.
Speaker 2: Another one that is semi related to something that you did. Another one that we showed them this week is Krawl Alexandra Aja's Krawl. I like this movie quite a bit when it came out, and the only thing the four K disc, which is where it's tangentially related to you in a few ways. It looks very good, but man, does it really highlight how CG the alligators are.
Speaker 1: In this hotel that I haven't even watched the disc yet.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not terrible, but man, it's there. It's quite obvious as CG. Which it helped. I mean, I'm showing young kids this animal attacks film, and this is the first one like that that they've ever seen. So this is one that they were sort of taken with as well, because I mean, this is probably the It's not even a super gory film, but there's like there's one scene where the guy's arm gets removed, and they show a lot of that, and so they were they weren't ready for those scenes, but it thankfully, it looks a little fake with the Allicator.
Speaker 1: The next stop for you, Ryan is Grizzly.
Speaker 2: That's a it's a good, good idea. Uh it has it has.
Speaker 1: I love Grizzly so much. It's one of my comfort food movies. And your kids will love. If they couldn't handle the arm, they're gonna love when a bear punches the head off a horse. They're just gonna, trust me, they'll be converted to the animals gotam a subgenre at that point. There's so many great animal movies we did. I'm on a podcast called Get Me Another. And what we do is we take a successful film and then we spend I don't know ten episodes breaking down films that tried to replicate its success. And we did Get Me Another Jaws this summer, and it was so great because I got to throw in all these weirdo movies that I was so excited to talk about but knew I'd never had the opportunity to. And we got into the Grizzlies, and I mean just the whole series was just a blast to do. So I'm a big fan of that sub genre.
Speaker 2: I love Grizzly. Grizzly Too is not anywhere near.
Speaker 1: Okay, Grizzly Too is a real movie that stars George Clooney and now I'm gonna say stars in big air quotes. Who is it, Laura Dern, Charlie Sheen, Yep, George Clooney, and then so and they were making this movie and then the like the guy who was backed this is in the eighties I think, and the guy who was backing it disappeared with the money, and so they couldn't finish the film. Somehow, someone at some point down the line got the rights to it. Did they, I don't know. And then they added in a bunch of contemporary like b roll footage of bears climbing trees and drone shots over forests and things like that, and released it with these celebrity names at the top top build, with all the raw bear effects in there, like untouched bear effects that are so bad and so great. It's really a masterpiece.
Speaker 2: It's so fun. My favorite of that era that feels like those I truly adore Day of the Animals. I think that movie is incredible. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's the double bill right. My hairs really bother me here. Sorry. The double bill is Grizzly and Day of the animals. I mean, what an incredible duo of films there, And but I like, I worked on Alligator. That's one of my all time favorites, Alligator to the Mutation. I could just go on and on the lately. Gambin was really the torch carrier for this world of for all eco horror, eco horror, and he wrote books on it and spoke on it and did screenings and even at the point where I was talking with Lee a couple weeks before his surprise passing, he was talking about doing this new documentary on this stuff, and John Campo Piano, a mutual friend of ours, it was like, this is going to be this thing, and then we lost him. So rip Lee, for sure. But every time I throw one of those movies in, I gotta think of him a little bit too.
Speaker 2: Same. It's been wild seeing releases come out with like new stuff that he had been working on for so long, and then finally to see it come out and it's posthumously, like eighteen plus months after his passing has been wild to see.
Speaker 1: Well, he was so prolific. Yeah, he really was just an absolute animal. When he put intent nintended on that one, he was an animal when it came to this stuff. But he was every time you get a message from him or get a call from him, he's all fired up and talking about this, this, this and this and this, and he would do it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the thing that can be said about Lee is that he was one of us for sure.
Speaker 2: In a very short period of time. Prolific as well. Like a lot of people think he was doing it for a very long time, he didn't really start like being attached to the whole industry, like he did screenings in Australia and stuff, but like to the industry at large, he was only doing it for like six or seven years or something like that, like really as heavily as he did, which is insanity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, writing for the magazines too and everything. So yeah, I mean he left a big legacy in a short window of time.
Speaker 2: All right, tonight, One thing that we got to talk about before we go into the announcements is the fervor around screen factory this week. Have you paid attention to any of this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been asked about one hundred people about this and so I've had to tune into it and I saw the go ahead. You probably have notes here that you want to run through.
Speaker 2: No, I mean there's no notes. The big thing here is suddenly, right after their s October sale, their website was showing prices that for many people were literally too good to be true, like liquidation sale prices. Everything must go. Holy hell, they are absolutely going out of the business. And immediately following the shock of it, somebody on the blu ray dot com forums, which historically full of all of the correct information, no drama, and absolutely trustworthy anonymous commenting, somebody commented and said, yes, screen Factory is exiting the physical media market. They will be gone within the next few months. Good luck with the sale, essentially is what they said, which is insanity. Screen Factory just spent like two digit million dollars on this Golden Princess library. They have been investing in a lot of upcoming restorations the last couple months. They've been announcing almost twenty releases a month. Sure, many of them are the same four K discs in new packaging. However, they're selling like crazy. Anybody that is doing that. To exit the sector would be one of the dumbest decisions ever made. You're just walking away from a shit ton of money. So on that front any comments from you, mister Justin Bean.
Speaker 1: I mean it's it is the internet's habit to take the headline, yeah and explode it into a million opinions. And I think that one person there was the screenshot of the movie club or something, which I wasn't even aware a shout had. What was that? Are you aware of what this thing was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a loyalty program they called it. This is where it gets super ironic, very quickly for them. They should have named it something else, but they called it the Physical Media Forever play or club and it shuddered like a year and three days after it launched. So the running joke was the physical media for a year, club.
Speaker 1: Man, that's harsh. Well, someone posted their email screenshot of that having been like the notice to the fan club members or whatever that there was going to be a change in how they were distributing and all that stuff. And it's the big discussion in the whole industry right now is like what's next. And meanwhile everyone's looking around going what is happening? Because it's like fires burning all around the industry that are kind of encroaching in various ways. And the physical media thing is a conversation I've been having since I started in this business, back when I very first started doing this stuff. Are you, well, you know, physical media is dead and now look at all these indie labels that are doing great and whatever else. Even Paramount ended up getting back on the train with Paramount Presents and these other things. So I think my read on it, and I have no inside information on this whatsoever, my reading on it is that it's, uh. It may be a decision made internally to transition how they're distributing to those fan club people are pricing it, or I don't even know what that plan was, so I can't really speak to that, but I cannot imagine that they're going anywhere and they What I will say with conviction because of personal experience, is that when I was working there, they were adamant that they were a physical media company. I would pitch things to them about well because they eventually got shout TV underway, right the Roku app and all that, and I'd be like, I have stuff from these interviews that we could put on shout TV as like a bridge between the two, and we could advertise with the Blu Ray announcement like and there's extra content on Shout TV or something. And what I got back was, we're a physical media company. I mean, they they were building Shout TV and obviously not shying away from their efforts there, but it was made very clear to me that that was not something that they really wanted to dance with. So the whole time I was there, and granted it was a different lineup of people when I was working with them, Cliff and Jeff were evangelists for physical media, and they stood by their releases, they stood by their mission statement to do their best by all these titles the entire time that I was with them, And so I cannot imagine any company with that kind of framework being broken down to the point in such short order where they're just going to walk from physical media. So I say, nay, I don't believe that it's the case.
Speaker 2: Well, and the other evidence this is a dumb word to use about that, but the other evidence is that their umbrella corporation that owns Shout Factory now or Shout Studios is not Shout Factory has merged with film Rise, that they also acquired film Rise, and for a lot of people, that means on the surface, oh, now they're only focusing on streaming, so they're gone. The joke here, though, is if you pay attention elsewhere over the last three days, Groove or Grove. I know a lot of people pronounce it.
Speaker 1: You have you never known how to say it. I always think, is that grove? I always think, no, no, no, sounds like a disease.
Speaker 2: It is the storefront for STS Studio Distribution Services, which is servicing Universal WB and a bunch of these other smaller companies. That is just, hey, we don't have a storefront. You take care of it for us. You're already distributing. It makes sense. You already got the product. Why would you send it to us to send to other people? So here we go, shout factory God, I did it again, shout studios. They all of a sudden last three days have more than seventeen hundred skews listed on Grove or Groove, So it appears that Groove is just going to be the one that carries them now and all there's stuff that used to be shout site exclusives that now say Groove exclusives on the Groove website. So it's pretty obvious like they're cutting out the middleman. They don't want to pay for shipping twice. It's probably costing them a ton of money. Why pay for somebody to do customer service for you when you can just do it through groove.
Speaker 1: The landscape is shifted. For those of us who are dedicated to this cause, we cannot ignore the fact or pretend it's not happening that stores stockiness stuff are fewer and farther between, and it isn't a retail universe like we are used to, or like we can even reference in terms of success and how far title travels after release or anything like that. And everyone's happen to adjust and they're trying to figure out the smartest way to do this. And there are also fewer duplication facilities than there were before now. I will say again from personal experience, back when I was working with the Halloween stuff, I wanted to do a forty five one year of the Halloween theme and Lourie's theme on a collectible forty five kind of a thing. And at that point there were almost no vinyl presses that I could find. And I was talking to this company, Rainbow Records, that used to do custom presses, and they were down to do it, but we didn't end up doing the record, but within a couple of years they were gone. And now that's hence Ryan at TerrorVision picking up his own press. He's like, I can't wait for these people to do this, and I need to make sure the quality is where it needs to be. So but now there's more presses than there were ten years ago, fifteen years whenever that was, I was doing the Halloween stuff. So never say never about any of this. And even though there are fewer places doing the duplication on the Blu rays and things like that, at this moment, you never know what might come down the road, and I think everyone is wise, especially as we're likely heading into some kind of depression here the country. They need to be planning ahead and figuring out the wisest way to deal with this stuff financially so they can keep releasing stuff, so they can keep feeding the audience the titles and the kind of stuff that they're really hungry for, because the appetite's not going anywhere. It's just a matter of supply and demand. And so I don't know, that's my piece on it. I wish them the best, I think, I mean shout change my life. That company. They really did, They really did. I mean, Fangoria changed my life, and then that led to Trancas changed my life, led to Shout change my life again. And if it wouldn't have been for Cliff and Jeff walking up to me at Horror Hound in Indianapolis, I think it was the show where it was the show where Jamie Lee Curtis did her one mention appearance and she was lovely to everybody and stayed way late to make sure everybody got attention and all that. Anyway, I was standing in the lobby talking with Joel Robinson and up walk these two guys, and all I had produced at that point was Halloween four and five the commentaries on those because Anchor Bay wanted no special features and I'm like, no, we need to do this the right way. And they also wanted to change the cover art and the font for the logos and stuff. It's hilarious what they wanted to do with that stuff. I hope someday I can show the battles that I fought on the Halloween four and five Blu rays and I tried to even bring Joel in for some art that didn't work, and Anyway, Cliff and Jeff walk up and they go, hey, we love your Halloween four and five stuff. Would you like to do more of that? And I'm like, yes, yes, I would, that would be great, and they hold up the sheet. They're like, well, we have a few titles that are in cue to any of these, like we're launching this thing called screen Factory. But outside of the horror stuff, what else is there anything? And tank Girl was on that list and I was like that, you have no clue. At the time, I was talking with Rachel, the director of Tank Girl, about a book on it, and anyway, it's just like stars aligned for sure, and from there it was off to the races. And it's never been the same for me since. So I owe them so much and I wish them the best. If this is a troubling time for Shout, which I hope it isn't, then I certainly hope they survive and keep on doing what they're doing, because anyone who's in this fight is doing it for the right reasons. I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and the hard part is Cliff and Jeff, who's already come up multiple times during this, are no longer with Shouts. Of course, Cliff is with Arrow, bringing with him a bunch of incredible acquisitions. Aero has been killing it, and Jeff is making really interesting music.
Speaker 1: No his songs is Yeah, every time he REases the new and I'm like, I love it, man, It's so great. And who would have thought? Who would have thought that Jeff would be a man? I'm so happy for him because he seems so happy doing it. You just feel the joy in him in doing that. So I'm what a great twist in the Jeff Nelson saga for him to end up doing like disco singles and stuff. Amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, we're about to start the announcements, but before we do, there's one more thing that I got to ask about because you just brought up fan Boria. Since the last time you were on here, the whole Paramount Scares thing has happened. It's been public and they put out two of the box sets, and you got to do all kinds of stuff to curate what was in that first thing and do your own like Fangoria released. I mean, what that's that's amazing.
Speaker 1: That that credit one goes to Todd inside Paramount Marketing, who is a huge horror fan. Yeah, and when I first started working with Paramount, I really felt I was pretty certain that I was going to feel like just a number on a spreadsheet. It was the exact opposite. The team that I had was incredible people. I'm in touch with all of them to this day. But Todd and I made it formed a real fast bond because he is such a horror nut and Paramount isn't famous for being real celebratory about their horror. If you think about the legacy of the Friday films and how they did those DVDs with the cover art, with like the long mask and the oh those were the worst. It's like they were just, Okay, we know we can make money off this, but we don't want to admit that this is really what kind of kept us alive for a long time. Right, It's a big part of their legacy. So to find this Todd inside marketing as such a devout lover of horror was a great joy, and he and I have I mean, it was a bond and then a great partnership throughout that with me and Todd and the executives in there, and so that was their baby, the whole Paramount scream stuff. I was just sort of a cog in the wheel on it. Really, for the most part, I had originally intended to be a lot more involved than I ended up being, but due to scheduling and other stuff, it just wasn't destined to be. But the Fangoria thing came around, and because of my history with a magazine, I think ended up getting to be the guest editor for that special issue that was inside that first box set, which is a tremendous thrill, and I have it in a bagged and boarded tucked away safely outside the confines of the box so I can pull it out and look at it anytime. It was a real honor. But I mean even that that was I have to say, it was like an honorary thing. For the most part. I can take no credit for the majesty of that magazine or that box because the Fangoria team killed it with that with a combination of new and vintage articles that were in there, and then the box set itself. I mean, the marketing crew was so into the chochkeys, the pins, the patches and stickers and all that, and it's so beautiful sitting on your shelf. The slip covers that were unique to those editions, and I think my probably my biggest contribution is probably the most reviled, which is in volume two. When people saw the lineup of films in Volume two, everybody was excited for Friday too, because Friday the Thirteenth, Part two was in that box on four K for the first time, the only way you could get it at the time. But also they put Breakdown in there.
Speaker 2: Which we get to talk about tonight too, which we.
Speaker 1: Get to talk about more. But boy, were people a whr. Yeah, you think people were angry about Jason's mask. I mean, you get Kurt Russell in a horror box, they're not. Actually, that's Kurt rules and the film's great and Big Troubles, a total masterpiece. But when maybe you can ask about it later. If we're going to get into a breakdown, stop me. Now here's your change.
Speaker 2: We will in a little bit.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll talk more about Breakdown and Kurt Russell in a minute.
Speaker 2: People, I mean to you, I'm sure you can't just announce it. Are they planning on continuing? Because I know a lot of people are like, when are we getting Paramount Scars three this year?
Speaker 1: I really don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: A confession on the Paramount front is that things have really changed with them too. Yeah, this sky Dance acquisition really shifted a lot of pieces. And of course I'm not on the inside for anything, so I don't have answers for anything. But the last active project I did with Paramount was the one I'm proud of stuff, which is bringing out the Dead, and that is if there was a way to go, it was that one, because we can talk more about that later. But yeah, so, I mean, they aren't really pushing these things. I don't want to put words in their mouth, but it's definitely a different scenario in there now that this Skydance situation has happened. And in terms of my relationship with them, I'm still friends with all of them. Todd and I message all the time and I sent him the album and whatever. I love them all dearly. But seeing the shots of the water tower being painted, yeah, they're removing the Paramount logo.
Speaker 2: It's weird.
Speaker 1: It's heartbreaking, man. But since then, I mean to illustrate how awesome that team is. I took my son out there to California last year and they welcomed us on the lot. So Julian could see around, and we got to write, got the little golf cart tour and shown the secret Koy pond, and he got to see all these behind the scenes things that hopefully one day he looks back on fondly. So everyone there is so amazing, and I just love them to death, and I missed working with them so much.
Speaker 2: I really do well. On that note, we'll talk more about working with them after. Let's get to some of these announcements, because I'm so eager to hear you talk about some of these. We already talked about Black Phone too, so we won't cover this too much. But of course they're doing a four case deal. Look for this. You can get this out everywhere. They're claiming it's a Walmart exclusive, but a reminder that one of the other Walmart exclusives from them recently also showed up elsewhere, so the exclusive word might not mean what it used to mean. So we'll see decent film. We both liked it. Check it out.
Speaker 1: If you're into it, that's going to enter my winter rotation for sure.
Speaker 2: It's deserving, like it's such a cold movie. Yeah, such a cold movie. We talked about Deaf Crocodile earlier as well. They are putting out in November this three film box set of too Votulio. He is a finish film director. Beautiful art on this release from mister Sam's myth that might show up in the chat later. Love the art that they went with for this. There are three just wild films in this. We got Cross of Love, Restless Blood and then the absolutely surreal, silly, incredible Sensuela from nineteen seventy three. Lots of extras on this. We've got remaining fragments of lost films from him that are the only bits that they could find, which is so cool that they want to do this. We've got two finished educational films from the nineteen forties. Who else is going to put that on these? We've got new visual essays, new commentaries. We've got sixty page book with a bunch of different essays in it. I adore these films, highly recommend you checking them out to Votulio. I'm sure this is not a filmmaker that you've heard or seen much from.
Speaker 1: No, it's new to me, but I'm absolutely intrigued.
Speaker 2: Looks great, it is. It is so good. Uh and Cinsuela in particular, is wild like. There is tons of nudity, there's tons of partying. There is robot or not that was the wrong word, not robot. Reindeer castration happening. Well, yep, that's the type of film.
Speaker 1: It's the reindeer castration type of film, Ryan.
Speaker 2: It is. And if you look at the cover, did you see that in the art. This is why I love this so much. It is surrounded by black and whites, and the color imagery makes the shape of a reindeer.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I look at that. I love reindeer. That's good. I don't like them being castrated, though. See I don't care for that. It sounds like Jim Wenorski's Lost Empire. Have you ever seen Lost Empire from Jim?
Speaker 2: I have? I have.
Speaker 1: It's nothing like okay, not well, it doesn't have reindeer having their nets cut off, but it has everything else that Jim could possibly cram into it. And I think it's so great. It's this unsung movie. It has no distribution. I don't know what happened to it. But wan Orsky got this chance to make a short story. Wearski thought he have one shot at making a movie. So he's like, I'm you know, I'm putting everything into it. I'm pouring every single thing. There's gonna be martial arts, there's gonna be all this and a gorilla we're gonna put It's amazing. It's such a great movie and Alan Howard's score for it has been on constant rotation since Alan did a re release on that years ago, and it's so good. So there's my plug, completely unrelated to this box set for Jim Minorski's Lost the Empire, which does not have any animal castration in it, but does have a gorilla suit and plenty of kung fu.
Speaker 2: I need a deluxe edition of that film too.
Speaker 1: I do to. I wanted to release that. I will start a company to release that movie.
Speaker 2: I want to see somebody put out like loving deluxe editions of all of Jim's films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's about Timepolis got it. My friend Klay westerveltz documentary, which is fantastic.
Speaker 2: It's such a good release.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 2: All right. So that is Tulio check it out shipping near the end of November, hopefully next is Imprint. They announced a lot of stuff coming this month first January seventh. We've got the Old Dark House in four K and everything else in this is Blu Ray, but is a box set directed by James Whale. So cool, going from nineteen thirty two to nineteen forty. Green excuse me, Green Hell from nineteen forty is the first time it's ever been on Blu Ray. And then Wives under Suspicion from nineteen thirty eight is an SD on this one. That's all that they could get from material, but again new extras, lots of stuff coming on this pretty giant box set for people that love James Whale and to get this from imprint. This looks really really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited for that. I was talking about Whale and a presentation I did at a halloweena Puluoza festival in Iowa here a couple weeks ago, and I was doing the history of the vampire film and talking about Whale and how this guy was so veiled in mystery. Yeah, you know, for a lot of reasons he was at the time, and I'm so happy that he finally seems to be getting his Not that he hasn't been celebrated for a long time, right, not saying that, but I mean this kind of stuff speaks to the fact that people are really paying attention now and people are really dialing into his work. It's great.
Speaker 2: I yeah, highly recommend these, especially the Old Dark House. This is probably the most recognizable one of this box d but truly a masterpiece. Next up is a directed by David Lean Box that. This is volume two. They had already done one prior. This covers from nineteen forty nine to nineteen fifty five. We've got the Passionate Friends, Madeline's the first time it's been out on Blu ray in the entire world. We've got the Sound Barrier, Hobson's Choice Summertime, and this is coming in a big hard box set like they do. You've got again, new extras all over this thing, new audio commentaries, new appreciations, new interviews, just pretty much anything that you could want on these films that have not had great releases. So to have all this together is incredible. Are you a David Lean person at all?
Speaker 1: I'm not that. I mean, I'm not well traveled with David Lean, but I'm just laughing because I'm thinking, what a great time to be a fan of film, What a great time to be a collector. It really is.
Speaker 2: I mean, on top of all the films, there's a bonus disc in here that has a new documentary called Before the Epic David Lean's Little Gems Part Two. There is a David Lean's self portrait documentary from nineteen seventy one, and then two features one from nineteen eighty five to nineteen ninety on the South Bank Show. Plus it has a seventy page booklet that's a hardcover book like this is crazy. There's so much in this it is remarkable.
Speaker 1: They are so exhaustive with their box sets. It's almost overwhelming. Like the Folk Horror Box. I'm still going through it. I'm still working that way through. That was them, right, Nope, that was seven. I was seven. I'm sorry. Okay, all right, my bad.
Speaker 2: If it's an exhaust box that it was probably so okay, seven all right. But I mean Imprint has done a lot of box sets over the last couple of years. The big thing. I don't know if you've picked up any of them, but the Tales of Adventure box sets. I think they've done like nine of them now, and each one has I think at least four films, and some of them have five or six, and they're just the old adventure films that are crazy moment Yeah, two too many. Next from Imprint is Alfred Hitchcock The Early Years Volume two. This covers nineteen thirty six to nineteen forty and has sabotage Young and Innocent, the Lady vanishes, foreign correspondents, and then Waltz is from Vienna from nineteen thirty four. Is an SD only, but it is on Blu Ray and uh yeah, good good looking stuff to go with that first box that they did again, exhaustive special features, new commentaries, new appreciations, pretty much anything that you would want for these titles as well and for for Hitchcock fans. The Imprint has been given a lot for you to appreciate, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: It's nice that they aren't just relegated to those public domain Yeah, that the same transfers shuffled through multiple box sets and cheapy little bargain bin releases. It's great to see this happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is pretty impressive. Dorrit Brian says, don't worry about Waltz being an SD it sucks at any restons. That's pretty good. That's funny. Next up is Terror Vision again the Basement horror anthology. So this is from nineteen eighty nine. This had originally come out from Camp Motion Pictures, and this little hint in one of their paragraphs here says that they are working with Camp Motion Pictures to bring the one Slots film to HG for the very first time, and more coming from Camp Motion Pictures eventually from Terror Vision. The Basement Horor Anthology. Is this one that you've ever seen?
Speaker 1: I haven't no, but the camp stuff I have so much of. Yeah, Beauty gleeen Butcher was shot here in Iowa. Yeah, that was Camp Motion Pictures.
Speaker 2: This is a crazy release because I believe and for terr Vision this is saying a lot. I believe this is the most robust release they've ever put out. All of these bonus features would take me like the next four minutes to go through new interviews with all kinds of people, multiple new commentaries, multiple short films. There are multiple like old TV spots. There are like Middleland Showcase, the Halloween Takeover from nineteen eighty nine, a couple other Midland Showcase, Horror Host TV pilots, FBI Guys episode, and then of course after all of that, they also have a CD of the soundtrack on this, like, this is an absolutely astonishing release of the Basement, which the previous release of this was pretty terrible looking, and now this is going to be the best release this has ever gone.
Speaker 1: I remember the videotape release that they did of that kind of floating around. I remember it was always in a meba. They always had it on the end cap, almost like somebody by this please. It's great to see this get this kind of love in any movie, and I think that they take pride in that. I know you work closely with them, but it's almost like the more obscure, like we're gonna that we're gonna show, We're going to show the critics, we're gonna cram this thing so full. I love it well.
Speaker 2: And you worked with them as well. What are some of the titles that you worked on when you were with Terror Vision for a while.
Speaker 1: I was the first run of them, Like, yeah, see, I should have been prepared to pull this stuff up, but I was. I mean, I was doing Copperhead Captives. I can't even remember them all, but I was. Oh, we did Hollowgate. That was the one that I was probably had the most fun with. I was so I love that movie my life, and I still had my original videotape that I got from a video store when they went under, and I just loved that movie and it ended up being I don't think we ever really talked about it, but it ended up being the director Ray's final interview. He's like maybe first and final. He was so excited to be a part of that, and his wife reached out to me a few weeks maybe a month after it went down, and she just said that it was the greatest joy for him to have a chance to see this movie get some love. So it isn't just for the fans if these things are happening, it's also for the filmmakers, for the people who were part of these things that in like Ray's case, it's a bullet point on his history. You know, he went on to do other things and he never really became the filmmaker that he wanted to be, and so to have it celebrated, especially at that time, was just so special. But I was cutting trailers for Terror Vision and we were doing all sorts of stuff in the beginning. It was tremendously exciting and how aggressive Brad and Ryan were about like we're gonna like, we got so much great stuff here. We really want to brank this out. Just it's been great to see them the last like this rise over the last year here especially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. Next up, we've got an anime released January twelfth. We're getting a Blu ray of Assassination Classroom, the complete series from twenty thirteen to twenty sixteen. I'm not huge on anime. Have you seen much anime? Are you into it? No?
Speaker 1: I haven't really seen too much.
Speaker 2: No, I have heard this is not very good, so I won't spend much time on this. However, check it out from crunchy roll if you're into it. I remember seeing the cover art for this and the smiley faced thing everywhere for a little while, so I know at least many people were into it.
Speaker 1: Okay, good.
Speaker 2: Next one that I've never seen, and I think this is one of the most divisive announcements I put out this week. Like half the people will like this is a pilot shit the other effort, This is an underrated masterpiece. That's what you believe exactly. It gets people talking. You know what? Ray Area November tenth, the Blu ray in the UK from screen Bound is the Libertine from two thousand and four, starring Johnny Depp and John Malkovich. I gotta be honest, I don't think i'd even heard of this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pass me by as well another one.
Speaker 2: There's a making of doc, some deleted scenes and a director's commentary on this and as far as I can tell, this has never had a US Blu ray, so this will likely be the first English friendly Blu ray that you can pick up. For this one. Screen Boud kind of doing a lot of stuff lately, so it's nice to see good stuff next to another UK company, Dazzler Media, choosing Mary and George to put out on four K on December first. They have been making some interesting choices on wan to put on four K lately. I'm glad that they have confidence in this one, but not one I ever expected on four K. I know Julianne Moore was the big selling point for this, but I never checked this one out. Did you see this note?
Speaker 1: Is that why she's the only one with her whole face visible on the front?
Speaker 2: I believe so, or that was likely in her contract? Yeah right, Yeah, have not seen this one. Curious at the very least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, she's great, She's next one.
Speaker 2: She is always incredible. This one I'm very excited to check out. I've been checking out some more of these smaller documentaries lately, and November eighteenth, Music Box is putting out a blu ray of Secret Mall Apartment from last year. This is about eight Rhode Island artists who created a secret apartment inside the busy Providence Place mall and lived there for four years, filming everything. During their journey. They snuck in furniture, tapped into the mall's electricity, and even constructed a wall itself, smuggling in more than two tons of cinder blocks.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: I'm in Yeah, I gotta see this. I'm very excited for music Boxes kind of Quiet putting us some really great stuff. I don't think there's any extras on this, but I'm just dying to see this documentary. This sounds amazing, absolutely, especially after this year's Roofman. Did you see that with Channing Tatum?
Speaker 1: No, see, you're so much, You're so up on things. I'm here with blinders on, editing and shooting all the time, and you're I rely on you. I rely on you and your posts to help me understand anything about the outside world. I'm like a hibernating bear that's perpetually down in my cave.
Speaker 2: Well, if you get a chance, I suggest checking out Roofman. Roofman is about a guy I think it was in North Carolina. He escaped from prison under a truck that he was working on in the prison and went out and lived in a toys R Russ for like seven or eight months, hiding from the cops. And it's a true story, Like almost everything in the movie was based on fairly true facts. Gosh, it was shot ing Lee great. I definitely recommend it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna write that down.
Speaker 2: And Kirsten Duntz isn't and she's very good too. What Roofman all one word? Roofman got it? Next? We got Decal soon putting out a blu ray of this year's Bone Lake. This is one of those two couples book an Airbnb at the same time and they have to figure it out. Horror movies that seem to be a thing lately, like that's a new genre. Didn't love this, but I liked it, and I kind of liked that in a wide theatrical release, this thing got a little extra sleezy in its plot. It wasn't like super nudity heavy, but the actual plot was sleezy, which kind of nice to see you in twenty twenty five when everybody's trying to go extra prude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bring it.
Speaker 2: It's a good one. Check it out. Next is Coyotes, which I have not heard a single good thing about yet. This is coming out Blu Ray November twenty fifth from dcal as well. This is starring Justin Long and literally about some people trapped in their house and it gets overran by coyotes and the CGI is supposedly just some of the worst that have come out this year. Kind of curious to see this because Justin Long is like one of the best final guys in horror right now and not even right now for the last twenty years. And I don't know, it sounds fun and I'm supposedly it's real.
Speaker 1: Bad all right. Well that makes me want to see it more, honestly, So.
Speaker 2: Honestly same. Another person that works in this industry that I appreciate a lot is mister Daniel Kramer, and you can now check out his newest book, which is Adventures and au Tourism, a crusade for the critically neglected. This has a long table of contents of directors that he is covering that have never gotten not even just like enough love, but in many of the cases no love. These are directors that have been overlooked in almost every single way. And he worked on this for quite some time. Love the cover right here from Scott Saslow. I think it is very eye catching. This is definitely what I'm going to be reading here soon. You can pick this up from the publisher, but also currently available from Amazon. And Daniel is a brilliant, brilliant mind. Very curious to see how this turns out for everybody. I know this is probably a hard sell because if you are walking into this, you're not going, oh, I love that director, because the whole point of this is that you probably have not seen or heard of the director's name in much of anything. So kind of very, very very curious to see how this goes over with fans of film.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad he did this. Daniel's screen.
Speaker 2: He also mentioned this week he's working on another book already and another documentary that's supposed to be coming out this year, which is just insanity. Daniel, Yeah, check this one out. Everybody highly highly recommend checking out his reading. To Macabre is having their Halloween sale here soon and they are releasing five titles as part of it. We're gonna be talking about two of them tonight and three of them next week, and these are all going to be on sale one week from today. October thirtieth is when the sale starts. This is going up at nine am Pacific twelve noon Eastern next Thursday. The first title here is a four K release of The Devil's Nightmare. They had put this out previously, and the Blu ray for this looked pretty poor. I think Modern Macabro would be one of the first ones to say that it is not one that looked great in HD, but it also wasn't a scan from the OCN and this one is. So this is going to look leaps and bounds better than the previous release, brand new four K scan of the OCN, But on top of that, they're going above and beyond to make it a better release. We've got new interviews here with the star Erica Blanc and the director. We've got visual essay here by Christoph Beier. There's all kinds of stuff and this that look great and really make it worth upgrading even if you had the old Blu Ray. I love landa mccopper. Are they a company that you've been deep into ever?
Speaker 1: I became obsessed with them many years ago with Nice and the movie that really did it for me was Lady Terminator. It's so good and every time they make these and I'm so glad they're still around, and I'm so glad that they're continuing to they're up scaling this stuff great, not upscale, but you know the fact that they're giving new love to these and putting him in proper packages with new special features, because a lot of their stuff just was languishing on DVD for so long, and there was this list of titles that I'm like, but at the top of it every time, and every time I see their name pop up and they're making some announcement, I'm like, it's got to be Lady t Give Lady Terminator a four K release. Even Blu Ray would make me so happy, but they are the only ones who would do that. And I was so obsessed with Lady Terminator. After Discovery, my friend Jake got a copy of it and we used to do movie nights over at his old place where he had like a movie room, and he's like, you got to see this. Put it in blew my mind. I've talked, I talk about it all the time. I'm like panels and stuff I bring. I love that movie. And then I tracked down Barbara Ann Constable, the gal who plays Lady Terminator in the film, an interviewer for Fangoria years ago, and she was so surprised when I called. She's like, how to is that out? Is that on video? And I'm like, yeah, that's on DVD. She's like, I didn't think anybody. It was a great conversation in the end, and really wonderful issue of Fango that that was in. But one of my proudest and most excited moments was getting Barbara Ann on the phone and talking about that all because of Mondo, and Mondo is the only one who would touch a lot of what they have in their catalog, and I just adore them.
Speaker 2: Brian shares the sad news. He says, my understanding is there no elements for Lady Timmern or just that one print. However, they have seen to have said that they are hitting multiple roadblocks, so it seems like they're trying to get there. I'm not sure if there's ever a way to get there, but I'll share the same hope that every time they started announcing stuff, I am dying for an upgrade to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely cannot wait and go Mondo.
Speaker 2: Yes, God, Manda Maccabero is always incredible. Next, we were talking about Dan Curtis before, and we got some details on the newest one. This is coming out December ninth. This is going to be number forty two in the Keno cult line, and it is Dan Curtis's Got the Tales from nineteen seventy three to seventy four. We've got introductions here by Jeff Thompson, We've got audio commentaries by David Delval Anthony Slide, and then the Turn of the Screw promotional short featuring interviews with Dan Curtis and Lynn Redgrave. I love that they're putting this work into these.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I love that they're making them consistent even visually. That is creating a collection corner for people who love this stuff, and that Dan Curtis's films are finally getting I mean everyone knows him for the other thing. Yeah, there's all this too, and I think it's just awesome that Keno is giving these the love and bringing on, like David Delval is always so great. Yeah, So a consistent voice over these different releases, I think that's important too. I did that with Nat Bremmer on the Umbrella, all of the Full Moon Umbrella stuff. I wanted NAT's voice throughout because like he's the authority, he's the historian, and so this kind of approach. It just shows that Keno's really putting love into it.
Speaker 2: Yep. I appreciate them for this. They made for TV stuff always overlooked, so the fact that we're getting it is a pretty big deal. Let's talk it. So December thirtieth, we can finally get Breakdown on four K outside of the Paramount Scares box set. This is from volume two. This. I think this had been released on its own in the UK already, right it has, Okay, so if you imported it you could have got it before. But now in the US you can get this on four K in December thirtieth on its own. Thing. Tell us about putting this together and the special features that are on here, because it's all you.
Speaker 1: It was the greatest, It was so amazing to get.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Mastaw, the director, was yeah, I agree. Did someone just say Dark Shadows should be on blu ray?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Do you imagine a Dark Shadows blue ray box set? How many discs would that be?
Speaker 1: My question is, can you imagine the expense to do new transfers on all those that they struggled with even before? And if they look so weird in that chubby coffin that they sell them in like they think that's gonna look cool on the shelf, but it's like Peter Griffin's coffin. What is happening over there? But anyway, breakdown. I love this movie. Yeah, well, I really really think this is one of the best Kurt Russell movies period and one of the best kind of action dramas of the era of its era. Quinlan, Kathleen, Quinlan is everybody, JT. Walsh, Everybody's so good in this movie. But it's not one because it's it's kind of overshadowed in the Russell verse. That's you can use that trademark real you can have that rund But within Kurt's catalog, this isn't one that I think a lot of people talk about. But when I talk to filmmakers people love this film, and getting to meet director Jonathan Mostow, who is so wonderful to deal with and very open about the whole process. We did a new I did a new interview with him, and then I brought him in Kurt together for audio commentary, which was a total thrill. I mean, like Kurt Russell showing up in the Paramount a lot and it's like, I don't know, Elvis is in the building, and he played Elvis right for John Carpenter of all people, but it's like, Russell's here. Russell's here, and like the birds landed, and everybody was so jazzed for him to walk in there. I'm I love his commentaries, just full stop, but also his Carpenter. The Carpenter russell commentaries everyone knows are so magical, but it's everyone's like, oh, it's just their magic. Masta was kind of a buttoned up guy. He's sweet, he's so sincere, but he's not a real jokester, I guess, I'd say, But when Kurt walked in the room and they're sitting by each other, it just became laughs. In great stories and wonderful reveals about the whole thing. Kurt clearly hadn't seen the movie in a very long time, and he's like, what am I doing? What He's talking to the screen and making Jonathan laugh. It was magical to have them doing that together. And then the great honors of this one was getting Dino Dalearentis's widow, Martha Da Laurentis, in to do an interview, and she really had it brought a perspective to the table that I think, without Dino's presence would have been literally impossible. And I've ended up working on a bunch of Dino dale Lorentis films over the last like five years, like King Kong's seventy six. I mean, it's like, I think there's probably like six of them that I've done over that span. And so to have Martha come in and do that was so great and she was amazing, and then she sadly passed away just a couple months later, and it was so unexpected, and but we have her here right like, I don't know that she's on any other release, but we were lucky enough to bring her in for this. And then the great find Imprint had done a maybe I think it was a blu ray of breakdown that landed a few months, I think even before Hours did from Paramount, and there was talk of the alternate opening sequence on theirs, but all they had were like grainy screen caps of it. And I had the benefit, again, no magic on my part. I had the benefit of the amazing Paramount Archive team who were always down for the hunt, like, Okay, it doesn't matter if it's on our sheet, We're going to go look, we will open the vaults, we will literally go and dig. And I found that over and over with them the whole time, and that was one of the greatest joys of being part of that whole operation, was the Archive team. We're just warriors, warriors for the cause of preservation of this stuff. And so there was this alternate opening that the studio ultimately wanted Jonathan to shoot to spice up the beginning of the movie. We now look at that opening with the car in the desert, how the titles interplay with the shots and the row and it's just so perfect, and you think, God, how could this ever? Who would need to do something different with this? Well, what they wanted to do was Kurt Russell with a camera on his shoulder and this village where these women are being shot and all. It's just pure insanity, like it starts off like a Trouma movie almost, and Mostow hated it, but of course he told me he hated it during the interview, and I'm like, let's see if this exists, and then I go to the archive team and in short order they're like, yeah, we have everything. It's all here. And so it took some discussion with Jonathan and he's like, well, if we can present it where I can talk about it, like do a commentary over it, we can do this. And I'm like, psh, cool, all right. Paramount team is all like, yeah, let's do it. Let's do it safe. And so we did it. We got to present it, and there is an option to turn Jonathan's commentary on to hear him explain what they did, but also kind of why he didn't think it fit. I think everyone will agree with him on that, for sure, but one of the greatest releases of one of the best movies of that era, and certainly like Kurt Russell's whole catalog. Kathleen Quinlan. I had interviewed her on Twilight Zone years prior for a famous Monsters magazine, which I was nerding out about because I'm a big doors fan and being in the doors and I was, oh, man, this is amazing, and that same feeling was back again, and getting a chance to talk to her on breakdown. So the whole thing just a thrill, and it was done at the height of COVID. This was like the heart of when we couldn't really be in the same room. And even though Jonathan and Kurt were in the same room, they were on opposite ends of like a row of theater seats with one of those air purifier things, the big industrial ones in between them, silently chugging away to keep the air clean in the room. But it all worked out and it was an honor to be part of Incredible.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is one of those titles that for the longest time was not very easy to see. It's the same and you've done many of those that were not necessarily lost films, but they were films that you know, people knew it had a reputation, people wanted to see them, and you got to be a part of getting it back out of the zeitgeist, which has to be just an incredible feeling.
Speaker 1: Doesn't even seem real for real?
Speaker 2: All right? That is Breakdown December thirtieth. Next up one equal quality as Breakdown. Maybe we'll see December one. The four K is coming in the UK from Dazzler Media. Also coming up Blu ray of The Creeps from twenty twenty five. When your top built actor in your film is Joe Dante.
Speaker 1: I was wondering why his name was up there. When I saw that cover, I was like, oh, yeah, wait, Joe Dante. Director Chris Lambert in a Snowman movie. What is this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Watch the trailer for this. You probably will not feel the urge to buy this, but it's happening there.
Speaker 1: It is right there.
Speaker 2: That's next Oscilloscope company that I love there putting out a Blu ray of this film that I don't know how to pronounce the title signave that's wrong, I don't know this is from last year. This is coming on Blu Range DVD. Like I said, this says the highs and lows of a restless youth collide headlong into the concrete realities of adulthood. When Leonardo, a teenager from Palermo, leaves home for the first time, his studies land him in Siena by way of London, where he clashes with his instructor, the curriculum, and most chaotically with himself. This is produced by Luca Guadaninho, who just released a film that seems like the whole world hates right now. This has deleted scenes in the trailer on the disc and I will hopefully beginning this is part of my subscription here soon. Love Oscilloscope, love what they do. Any thoughts from you.
Speaker 1: No go Selloscope like what they're doing as well. I don't know anything about this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this has to be like a small festival film. I've never heard of this at all. Criterion just had a flash sale, but it's pointless because it's over, so we'll gloss right over there. I love this next set of announcements. So a Kino had announced previously and not too long ago. This is one of those ones that had a fairly quick turnaround. Thank you Kino. We do love to see the quick turnaround of the Pink Panther films. These are coming to four K and Blu Ray here in the US, all on December sixteenth, and we're going to cover all four However, before you start asking, they are putting out a box set of all of these plus Return of the Pink Panther all together, all on four K in twenty twenty six. They're just letting them live and breathe on their own as single releases first, so if you want to be patient, you can pick up a box set next year of all five of the films. As far as extras, they got all kinds of extras on these. How many of them are new? I count zero of them as being new. However, it's just really great to see them in print again. And not to mention, these will absolutely look really good in four K. Are you a Pink Panther fit? Have you ever checked out anything?
Speaker 1: I was so disappointed when I was a kid and heard that there was a Pink Panther movie because Pink Panther when I was a kid sold insulation.
Speaker 2: Yep, that was the remember.
Speaker 1: The understanding of Pink Panther. And then I saw the art for this and I'm like, huh, well, this looks like something with the Pink Panther in it.
Speaker 2: Nope, so quite different.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I need to revisit them. I guess I've seen the first one, but I know that they are revered, and it's great that once again Keino is swinging into the rescue of some underserved titles.
Speaker 2: So this is the first one, of course, this is from nineteen sixty three. The second film is A Shot in the Dark. This is the one I remember truly loving. I think this is the funniest of all of them, if I remember right, and we're talking like slapstick comedy, like really great classic Peter Sellers. I have not seen this in ages, but I am eager to see it again again. They're carrying over all kinds of extras from the previous releases. We've got audio commentaries, we've got featurettes, we've got interviews. They look like great releases. The third one, of course, is The Pink Panther Strikes Again. This is nineteen seventy six. Reversible art on all these as well, which is pretty neat from Keino. Love that they're doing those again. All kinds of old extras on these. And then the final one, Revenge of the Pink Panther from nineteen seventy eight. Not as many extras on this one. There just wasn't as much on the previous releases, but it does have an audio commentary, has some TV spots and stuff like that. Yeah, December sixteenth, it's going to be a busy day if you love the pink panther full Moon, who Justin has worked on many things related to full Moon. They are currently running their Halloween sale up to fifty percent off sitewide and a cool thing that they don't always do. If you spend a certain thresholds, you get some free gifts. If you spend one hundred bucks, you get two of their tiny tears. If you spend two hundred bucks, you get a plush doll set. You spend four hundred, you get a full bobblehead collection, and if you spend five hundred, you get a baby Oopsie full on replica. Now all of these have to be in one single purchase, so it's not combining if you buy multiple things. If you want to go for the free thing, make sure you get it all at once. My link for the sale if you want to check that out, and another tab is in the chat there, full Moon. What are some of your highest recommendations from full Moon's catalog there?
Speaker 1: Justin? Well, I remember when full Moon was doing they would they were trying to push people for their online streaming thing yep, and they would it would be like, if you subscribe for a month and you can get like one hundred dollars in free DVDs and we raised Do you remember that? Oh yeah, my buddy Greg Morgan from Land of the Creeps. I remember him calling me up one day and he's like, it's real. I did it and the disc showed up. There wasn't like a cancelation notice. I didn't have to subscribe for a whole year or something. It was just insane how they were just shoveling stuff out with this perpetual sale at that point of that stuff. But I have so much admiration for Charlie and he. As John Carpenter said years ago to me when I did this sort of stream of consciousness career spanning discussion with him for the Fangoria Legends magazine, I would just say a name or a place or a film title or whatever, and then he would just tell me the first thing that came to his mind. And I said, Charlie banned, and John goes, when the apocalypse happens, there will be two things left on this earth. There will be cockroaches will be Charlie band and I don't know, and I don't think he was comparing Charlie to a cockroach necessarily, although I don't want to speak for John, but his endurance is just remarkable, and getting the chance to work on all this Full Moon stuff through Umbrella has been a blast. And so many of the people that I'm tapping on the shoulder to come in for interviews are like, I cannot believe this is getting re released. I can't believe people still care about And I hear that all the time about a lot of titles, but with the Full Moon stuff, it's just remarkable how he keeps doing his thing, and how consistent he is with his focus on small things and his love for dolls. I think is worth applauding. I don't know where do I start with the Full Moon catalog. I would point to early movies. I would point to his early stuff. I just finished working on Tourist Trap, for example. I think that one is a real big standout, especially in their earlier catalog, for what Charlie was doing. Although it's not Full Moon proper, it's Charlie Band production. There are spikes in every If you want to say decade or maybe even break it down by like genre run or subgenre run. There's spikes of good stuff in there throughout, and I think Tourist Trap was an early whoa, you got Ted Nicolau, you got David Schmoller, I mean Chuck Connors for that booklet. For the booklet, I did this exhaustive essay on Chuck because I love him so much. He's one of my favorite all time actors, and I'm like, when else am I going to get the chance to talk about Chuck? And so I did an entire life story of Chuck Connors for that booklet, and it turned out really a loving tribute to the guy. But anyway, the Full Moon catalog, I mean can't say I'm down with Ginger weed Man and whatever all the stuff, but I do like a lot of it, and especially their early things, and I will always admire the audacity. And it must be said, when I did the first Full Moon box set for Umbrella, the one special feature and the thing that I applaud Charlie the most for, I had to do something on the video zones. For those who might not remember, at the end of Full Moon videotapes back in the day, you'd finish watching the film, you let it keep running, and there's a video magazine I guess you'd call it. That would be at the end of the movie talking about the movie you just saw, so like the making of the movie you just saw, and then teasers and behind the scenes for upcoming films. And it was revolutionary because the laser disc really ultimately gave way to the special feature I think, being tethered to these movies in the first place, but Charlie, through his partnership with Paramount in their checkbook until it wasn't, Charlie, to his credit, came up with this idea to offer people so much more and watching through those video zones, even the ads that he had on there for the merch This stuff is nothing new which you have up here on the screen, like dolls and toys and whatever else. He's been doing that from the very beginning. He's always been a big picture guy who does some pretty inventive and absolutely bold things with what he's doing and unapologetically. So I'm always going to applaud that.
Speaker 2: I've always loved tourist trap. I'm glad you brought that one up. And then the other one that I always champion. Feel like most people have heard of but never seen. Castle Freak is still one of my favorites. Yeah, I adore that movie.
Speaker 1: Oh it's great and the effects are so good in that too. Everybody's great in that film and making good use of that castle. I mean everything I've touched that's from Full Moon. There was the filmmakers that he was often bringing in. We're approaching this with such sincerity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like.
Speaker 1: If you watch through the special features on those first two Full Moon box sets from Umbrella, you really start to understand the universe of Charlie Band beyond just the sort of marketing guy and the whatever else. Like, there was an objective, however accidental or intentional, to bring fresh talent in over and over and over again, and those films also became a it was kind of like the incubator for a lot of special effects artists.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: It's like what Roger Corman did with he bringing someone in. Yeah, well, maybe you're not ready to direct yet, start cutting trailers for me, and then let's talk in six months and then we get look at the lineup of filmmakers from that school.
Speaker 2: And speaking of Joe Dante, yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: And it's not as celebrated, but I do think it's worth being It's worth acknowledging that Charlie Band was very similar in his sort of talent factory where he would hire people who other studios might not and ended up giving them some opportunities that absolutely blossomed in a lot of cases. So hats off to him what he does.
Speaker 2: Next. Up, speaking of Umbrella got their brand new announcements February fourth. We got a four kve from them coming of Schiansno's Suicide Club from two thousand and one. This has some new extras. Wee have a new audio commentary by Aerol Shutson. We've got a new Suicide Club with special effects guru Yoshihiro Nishimura. There's a Justice There or How I Learned to Stop Worring and Love Suicide Club with Alexander Heller Nicholas looks like an incredible special edition of this. I will say there is a four K of this that came out from I want to say, in France or Germany or somebody like that, and this is likely going to be the same scan of that four K, because I believe the elements are gone for this one, and that thing did not get great reviews. However, if you love this movie, this is probably gonna be the best packaging this will get. This will probably be the best special features this gets. This will probably be the be all end all of this film. And if you already have the Discothech Blu ray, I just take that Blu ray and if you want this, put it in the case with this, and you got pretty much a definitive release of Suicide Club.
Speaker 1: I love that movie and I wish I would have been on that release through Umbrella. It's so good. I still have my old DVD. I have not gotten those other releases of it, So this will be great for me.
Speaker 2: And new for me absolutely. Next up is one that they've been hyping up through their social media for quite some time, Lesbian Space Princess from this year, I believe is a animated film. All kinds of extras on here because this is one that they produced from the ground up. They're selling a sexy bitch sweatshirt.
Speaker 1: As much as I was laughing at it, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love Umbrella getting interesting with all of these releases and just doing what they can. Yeah, this looks like a completely loaded release for something that usually would not get even a small release, and This is huge for this Blu ray released on January fourteenth. Looks fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Next up this one is February fourth Blu Ray release of The Horseman from two thousand and eight. I have always heard this is great and have somehow always passed by it. I need to see this one. You get the Collector's edition and as usually, you get a big forty eight page book and all kinds of custom art cards and posters and slip case and numbered everything. New audio commentary with Alexei Tali, Choleapolis that maybe and Blake Howard, and then there is going to be The Horseman in the Australian noir genre with the screenwriter and author Maria Lewis making of the Horsemen Director's cut remaster, new director's cut trailer, and then all kinds of archival extras with this one pretty loaded. Have you seen this one?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's excellent and this from what I understand this is the transfer on this is outstanding and so I cannot wait to get my hands on this one. It's a great movie.
Speaker 2: I need to get it. I've heard it's stupendous and yep, already some good comments in the chat. Had the original Umbrella DVD nice. Next up from them is The Innkeepers. This is coming on Blu Ray on February fourth, and this already has a four K release, so Umbrella just probably thinking they're not gonna be able to sell a ton of these. Four K is going to be expensive to invest if you're not going to sell a ton of them, so you can get a special edition of this, and it looks like a really fun release. You had a new audio commentary with Alexander Heller Nicholas, who is on seemingly like forty new releases a week, so not surprised there, and then Martin Kataro on The Innkeepers is doing a visual essay, and then another handful of archival extras. I love Ty West. Are you a Ti West person?
Speaker 1: Ty West? Ty West is good, He's okay, yeah, yeah, I'm not the biggest fan. But I do want to speak here to the Blu Ray four K thing that there are occasions and I'm not saying that is the case with this, because it's not something that they've discussed with me, but there are cases where the license for a four K release may already spoken for, so it's not always possible. And then also if there's an element issue, if there's something where they can't get to the point to justify the four K in terms of available materials. This goes for all distributors, all labels that it just doesn't make sense just to upscale something. And so in that kind of a case, I don't know what the dealer is with Innkeepers, but I.
Speaker 2: Don't think this was even shot on film. And to be honest, a lot of like the early digital from you know, two thousand and four to like twenty thirteen, a lot of those you got a question if a four K is going to do anything right, literally, you know, not even just hey, the colors will be nicer, Like will it actually improve anything to put this on four K instead of Blu ray? In many cases it really.
Speaker 1: Will not sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that is the Innkeepers from twenty eleven, and then next up I am so keen to see this one. This is already the second release announcement of this too. February fourth, they're putting out chain reactions from twenty twenty four. We were talking about Alexander Heller Nicholss. She is heavily featured in this film itself. This is a documentary about the impact of the Texas Chainsaw Masker, which by far one of the most impactful horror films of all time. This release is going to have an audio commentary with the directors, discussion with the director and with Alexander Heller Nicholas. I have not been able to see this one yet. Have you been able to see this? Probably not.
Speaker 1: I saw part of it because I went to the anniversary theatrical re release of Chainsaw, where it was like maybe one or two days or something on the anniversary of the film, and they showed the after Chainsaw was done, this like a portion of this played, and so I did get to see some of it. And I'm always down for more Chainsaw. I've been so happy to see the four K re releases that Ero's been doing too. Of the Arlely Ermi films, I love the second one in particular. I think beginning is I really, I mean, they're both good, but I think the Beginning is even better than the Yeah, the first one. There anyway, more Chainsaw, the better, says I. And there can't be enough exploration. And there's some great documentaries vintage documentaries on the film already that are pretty incredible. But why not.
Speaker 2: For those that have not heard about this one yet. So this is a documentary built on the reactions rough these names on Here is christ Now, Stephen King, Patton Oswald, Karm Kusama, Takashi mik and Alexander Heller Nicholas like all corners of the film industry in different ways, all like different age groups, different different types of filmmakers, all coming together to talk about how it impacted them. Yeah, I got to see this.
Speaker 1: This looks just The first voice you hear in the film is Patton Oswald. I'm sitting there going wait, what what is happening here? I mean, it was really like, Okay, this is interesting because you think about comedians and their dark side and we're all inspired by such an array of things. Why not bring him in here? And it was really It starts with a clip of him on Latterman or something like that, or maybe Conan O'Brien and he brings Chainsaw up of all movies as like his favorite film of all time, and I was like, wow, he is a lover of this movie. That's like when I did Bad News Bears for Paramount and Kevin Smith wanted to be on the disc talking about Bad News bears because it was the movie that made him want to be a filmmaker. And he's crying to me during the interview and stuff. I mean, it was remarkable. So when these folks who have made it reach out to continue paying it back to the source that led them to whatever they're doing, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm so stoked that they I mean, just the passion that screams off the screen for this, I can't Next up is Eureka.
Speaker 1: Gosh.
Speaker 2: That means the rest of all these were just today announced, so we got a lot to cover. January twenty sixth in the UK, there's a Blu Ray coming double feature of Kyoshi Kurosawa films. We've got Charisma, which is from nineteen ninety nine, and that is paired up with Clout, which is the brand new film that's out. Original release was last year. It's on the Criteria channel right now. Heard incredible things about Cloud. We'll be watching that one soon myself. We got a limited edition booklet in this one with writing. There is going to be new commentaries on both films by Jonathan Roots. There's gonna be new visual essay on the work of Kyoshi Kirosawa by Joe Hinkenbottom. But the big thing is this limited edition will include Cloud. The future standard release will not, So if you want Cloud as part of the release, you got to pick it up as part of those first two thousand copies. Have you seen Cloud? Or are you this Kurosawa type of person.
Speaker 1: I'm not familiar with this Kirasawa.
Speaker 2: No, he's a have you ever seen Cures? That's his most famous film from was it ninety seven? I think big psychological horror film. Okay, so I got a big fan base. Check it out. Great, I'm eager to see charisma. I've heard good things this one. I'm sure you got some stuff to say about. Nineteen eighty one's Full Moon High, directed by Larry Cohen, coming on Blue Ret in the UK on January nineteenth. This is a horror comedy film that came out right before Teen Wolf. This is a loving tribute to teenage monster movies of the nineteen fifties. You've got let's see limited edition booklet with new writing by Craig ian Mann. We've got a new commentary by Steve Mitchell, archival commentary with Lary Cone himself, new visual essay on the History and Evolution of the teenage Werewolf films by Kaja Frank, the author of the ego Gothic Werewolf in Literature. Love that new interview with Michael Doyle. Have you seen Full Moon High?
Speaker 1: I have not. I have not. I'm going to bring up another thing here though, that I think that there was a show called Big Wolf on Campus that was on in the two thousands and it was a Canadian production. I love that show so much, and I don't know that it's ever gotten any kind of physical release anywhere. So I'm glad this is happening. Maybe it's going to open the door for Big Wolf on Campus to finally get a proper release.
Speaker 2: That's all the world excited about werewolf things, and.
Speaker 1: Let's talk and teen werewolves.
Speaker 2: Let's do it YEP next January twenty sixth, then the UK January twenty seventh. In North America on Blu Ray is Stephen Chow's King of the Beggars from nineteen ninety two or King of Beggars. This one is going to have a brand new writing on King of Beggars and the director Gordon chan by Andy Willis. There's going to be new audio commentary with Frank Jang, a new interview with the director Gordon Chan, new visual essay by Gary Betinson. Are you are you much of a martial arts person. I don't think I've seen you talk about these.
Speaker 1: No, not really. I did some work on a I had to redo the audio on a martial arts film when I was with Terror Vision, which was a logistical minefield.
Speaker 2: It was a nightmare on that one.
Speaker 1: That's what I have to say about that. But it worked out in the end. But it happened to mix every It's a challenge when you got a good ninety minutes of that to go through. But now, I mean I like Weird the Stranger the better, Like I like Mister Vampire, end of things. In terms of martial arts, I like The Bride with White Hair a lot good. That's one of my favorites. But I but I'm not. I'm definitely not like a studied.
Speaker 2: Scholar speaking of films with bad four k's a good blue rays. The Bride with White Hair got a four K and it's not good. Cheer if you want that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hold on to my discs, huh, hold on to it all right? That happened with Island of Lost Souls. Do you remember how terrible the Criterion Island a Loss Souls was. Yeah, I couldn't believe how awful that looked.
Speaker 2: Yep, that that seems to be something that some of these get real bad reputations. And then just everybody says, yep, don't buy that one. Yeah, I love it. Yeah. Next December ninth, Sony, as a part of their Sony Pictures Classics line, is putting out last year's I'm Still Here, which I ashamedly i've still not seen. I've heard this is incredible and went by me. I need to watch it. Still hurt. It's amazing. This is a big, big breakout for Fernando Torres. She's supposedly incredible in this. Yeah, I need to see this. The next release is probably one that we can both speak on Hearts of Darkness from ninety one and getting a four K release here in the US from Lionsgate. This isn't too big of a surprise. Studio Canal just put this out in like one of their fancy giant box sets in the UK. However, this release, I gotta ask, what is up with the Coppola arm pit sniffing cover art? That we went west.
Speaker 1: It's so bizarre. When I first saw it, I thought it was someone had was making fun of it somehow and they had thrown that on there. That's so weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't get this, and I still think it's wild that a film that was essentially a special feature for years is now getting standalone four K releases. Obviously it's great. That gives hope to us all it does, it truly does.
Speaker 1: There is Yeah, anyway, these things.
Speaker 2: Live and die.
Speaker 1: They live on islands usually, and it's always exciting, I will say, as a producer to see when something carries forward, yeah to another release with some other company. I mean, I don't benefit from it, but the legacy of the film, the stories that were told, those voices, move on with it, and that's how it should be.
Speaker 2: That's really I've already seen that and been blown away that, you know, a special feature that we worked on is gonna be on disk in Germany just for some other company licenses.
Speaker 1: Wild Like, okay, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: December eighth, over in the UK, one to one film speaking of Full Moon is putting out Sorority Babes in the slime Ball Bowl of Rama. This is a title that a lot of UK people have wanted for quite some time. And what I think is hilarious is recently a sequel came out to this full full sequel to this and it's so bad that it is included as a special feature and did not get billing as part of the release whatsoever. That is from twenty twenty two, and yes you can get that as part of this package.
Speaker 1: Oh that has my special features on it. Yeah, see that's exactly what we're talking about. That's the stuff from the Those are my features. I didn't I hadn't seen this. That's interesting. Well thanks, that's all the stuff I did for the full Moon box set release. A Sorority Babes is on there, so tell us about it.
Speaker 2: What did you get to do?
Speaker 1: Brink Stevens the the nat I got gnat on there with his commentary we did in the in the booklet has a whole bunch of great stuff in it, So I mean it's the the news stuff is Cerebral screen Queen, that's mine. Sorority Babes two was not on ours. I don't think that worked out for our release, so it's basically the commentary the Brink Stevens thing and then the booklet, and I think the Umbrella release may have had a couple more features on it, but anyway, it's nice to see it move on and like we were saying, good.
Speaker 2: Release, I believe like I said, I think this is the first UK release at least an HD of this film, and it's fun. I think the hard part for this movie is everybody sees the poster that's pretty iconic for this and goes, yeah, like we got three screen queens, this is gonna be sleazy, and then it's it's a pretty tame film. Overall.
Speaker 1: The beginning isn't yeah as some but I love this movie so fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so eighty soaked in neon and just incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Cineverse is putting out Bleeding from this year on Blu Ray in November fourth. This is gonna have an audio commentary, some auditions, footage, festival trailer, and a short film included with this. This was a screen box film and Bloody Disgusting is help putting this out through Cineverse. I again just will always be happy to see streaming titles come out on disc for something like this, because this could have just lived on screen Box forever and not gone anywhere else. So it's a it's a win.
Speaker 1: It is there's so much that's being left into the like in the void in terms of things that were made for Amazon and for Netflix, and it's just a it's a real shame there's a Chainsaw Massacre movie that doesn't have a legitimate physical release. Do you think fans aren't gonna want that? Some of the I worked on a few titles for Paramount and Blumhouse that were really great films. One of them called The Passenger with Kyle Gallner. Kyle is out just outstanding in that movie.
Speaker 2: I've got a bootleg of it right over there, so do I.
Speaker 1: And I made this. It was amazing projects to be part of and the proud of the documentaries. And to his credit, Kyle is I never hear from people usually, especially when there's like an ePK team that I'm running and they're shooting stuff and I'm not actually on set but I'm cutting, and but they had to send for approval to the people who were in the film on the documentary, and Kyle wrote to me and he's like, hey, man, I never see these actually happen. There's always cruise around, but I never see the result of it. And he was so happy about how the documentary ended out. And now Ryan, it's invisible. It's nowhere it was supposed to live with the film wherever it was on Apple or whatever the hell else. It's like it never existed in the first place. And those movies, too, they're very hard to find. And the documentaries I did on these things are just dead and that's heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: You got a private link for that doc you can share it. I would love to see it.
Speaker 1: Talk to me after the show.
Speaker 2: Will do Next up, we talked about Monta Micabro. Second title is a double feature of Mystics and Bali and Queens of Black Magic, two films that had previous releases from Mondo on DVD that again, they weren't terrible DVDs necessarily, but they weren't great, and everybody loves these films, so to see them get an HD release is just fantastic. They are both getting their own disc in this, and they're both going to look just incredible. Jared was already telling me the scans on these are older. But if you ever saw the release of The Warrior that came out, I think that was last year. That was a twenty year old HD scan that they put on disc, and it still looks like it was just done. It's that good of a scan on it. And they're doing the same thing with these. They supposedly look amazing. This is going to be a two disc set with an exclusive slipcover and reversible inner sleeve. You've got all kinds of extras on here. Introductions to both films by Joko Anwar, another great Indonesian filmmaker that's been You've probably seen at least one of his films on Shutter Visual essay called Monsters Movies, A myth by Jake Gallo, extended two hour version of Mystics in Bali, which is going to have I think it's SD cut ins from like the only like tape master that exists of them, But at least you'll be able to have it if you want. I love both of these movies. I do too, great great stuff from Monto. Colden says, I'm excited every time I add a Suzanna film to myself shelf, and you should be absolutely What a way to follow that up by The Slayer Man coming to Blu Ray now. This is now available in the US from somebody called Vantage Media. Not sure who those guys are. I'll get a trailer, featurette, commentary track, and a music video. But hey, this exists on HD here in the US.
Speaker 1: All right, I haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: I love that the catchphrase on the front is he is what he Is? You love that classic Popeye I Am what I Am? It is. They're trying to make it intimidating, and he is what he Is is what they chose to go with. It's just not intimidating. I've also heard this one is incredible. Goldwyn Films putting out the Canamani Cristo from last year on four K here in the US on November eleventh. Nowhere on extras or goldbi Vision or anything like that. But it's getting a four K Supposedly this movie is beautiful. I know that everybody loves the old Jim cavizl Knamani Crust Monty Cristo. If you watch the trailer for this, it looks almost like a shot for shot, like it is beautifully shot like that. This to me seems like it's quite worth looking out for. Wow. Well, go USA putting out The Mannequin on October twenty eighth on Blue Rain DVD. Here in the US, this sounds very odd. It says, when an aspiring fashion designer mysteriously dies alone, most people accept it as a tragic suicide. Her sister remains unconvinced and returns to the historic building to investigate, but unsettling paranormal experiences quickly escalate. Leanna discovers this Los Angeles site holds a terrible secret. It is haunted by a killer who brutally holds a tear or sorry, who brutally murdered and dismembered his victims decades ago. She and her friends must escape the ghosts deadly grasp before they lose their own limbs and lives. This is a wild cover on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's striking. I saw it today for the first time and I was like, WHOA, what is this?
Speaker 2: I appreciate well go USA for getting releases for so many films that would not get any releases at all. Are you have you checked out anything from them or are you keeping up with any of the stuff that they're doing.
Speaker 1: I haven't. No, I mean I may have something, but I'm not. I certainly have not been keeping up on their catalog or anything. Like that. They have a weird name.
Speaker 2: They do. They're an interesting company.
Speaker 1: I mean, they do the phantasm stuff. They did the fantasm.
Speaker 2: They did I think just the first one, or did they do the box.
Speaker 1: That they did them in a box that had the they did.
Speaker 2: That's right, and then they did I think just the first one on four K after that.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's when they landed on my radars with that, So that may be the only thing I have from them, might be, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's the thing they focused. Like ninety two percent of their output is really great modern Asian cinema, and then the rest is fantasm or the mannequin like so many of this is just odd mixture in the rest of this pretty prestige catalog.
Speaker 1: What they're doing, Well, maybe that tells us we can trust in checking this out.
Speaker 2: I mean that's true. Well, speaking of Prestige nineteen ninety five's Babe coming on four K on December sixteenth, from Kena. Lber that was said, without any sort of irony, I love this movie. New audio commentary by Julie Kruego and Peter Hancoff on this there is also a brand new interview with James Cromwell on this disc from twenty twenty five, brand new interview. Yeah, and it's eighteen minutes long. Like that is incredible. There's also a new interview with George Miller. Keno does not put a ton of effort into some discs, But the fact that they went out and got two brand new interviews with two people that, let's be honest, probably won't be around all that much longer for either of them. I love that they did it, and I love that they did it for Babe, Like this was a huge thing, and the next one that we're about to talk about was a huge thing on top of this huge thing. But nineteen ninety five's Babe, and then on the same day, nineteen ninety eight, it's Babe Pig in the City City also getting a four K.
Speaker 1: Babe takes Manhattan.
Speaker 2: Another new interview with Georgie Miller on this one another new commentary, or do you have nostalgia for these? Were these ones that you loved?
Speaker 1: I remember seeing the first one in the theater with my brother and h but and I liked it.
Speaker 2: It's cute, it is it's worth checking out. The second one gets pretty dark too. I love that it's just it's a fun movie and.
Speaker 1: It's like Ice Squad. Tell me how dark it gets?
Speaker 2: Ran it gets, uh gets a little more real. We'll say that. Okay, other than CGI talking pigs, all right. Then they're doing a double feature, both of them on Blu Ray. No word if they're doing a four K double feature yet, but you can get them both on standalone four K, which is nice. New interviews, pretty good stuff. Yeah, that's it for the week. Next week, just in case you forgot, these are the titles that are co out. I believe there's a couple at least in here that you've worked on, So shout them out when we get to him running through them real quick. In the Mouth of Madness four K from arrow The Resurrected four K from VS getting its release. I will not mention the VS stuff because a lot of that stuff we already know about has already shipped to most people. Edwards Sisserhand's four K from Disney coming in a steel book, Miss forty five four K from Arrows, Such a good movie, Nightmary Ali four K, the updated noir version from Germo del Toro for Criterion. The shin Godzilla four K releases are going to be shipping suddenly. We got Arcane Season two Chinese Ghost Story Trilogy from Shout next week, Death Wish three on four K from Keno. Scooby Doo on Zombie Island is getting its Terror Time version release. The saw Too Steel Book is delayed till November, but that'll be coming soon. Dust Devil four K from Keno. We've got the Dan Curtis's Classic Monsters for next week. Trick or Treat Steel Book from Arrow Brand. New Toxic Avenger four K stel. This is the one that our special features on for Cinaverse. Check that one out. Student Bodies four K will be shipping here soon from terror Vision. Golden Boy from Disco Tech. Dead of Night that we talked about earlier is coming out next week from Keno. Deep Crimson four K from Criterion Kat and the Canary four K from Keno. Gator Bait four K from Terror Vision is not shipping anytime soon, hopefully in a couple of months. That thing has taken a shit ton of work and it's it is off to the races and will be in everybody's hands as soon as possible. Mal Pair TWEE from Radiance is showing up in people's mailboxes now the Hallowing three season, The which four k steealbook from Scream is coming out next week. That I believe that one was an Amazon exclusive, so check that out. Terrifying Girls High School. That's one from Disco Tech that I need to be picking up soon. Mega Man the complete series from Disco Tech as well. My vote for maybe the worst cover art of the year, Relay. This cover is terrible because it's not even like bad photoshop. It's like first grade photoshop.
Speaker 1: Love the Movie worse than that Hush Steel book.
Speaker 2: It is. Let me let me pull it up in h D in another tab and show you, because my god, when you look at how they're cut together, it is here, it is. It is kind of like this this guy was an avatar, that's what you're trying to tell me. Okay, that's Jake Sully and he looks like he's from Minecraft. Going back to our list, Yes, the Hush k Steel Book is next week. Out of the Fog from Warner Archive, Manhattan Melodrama from Warner Archive, The Madness Mattin from Werner Archive, Americ Conna from this year, which I was kind of surprised. I liked quite a bit the best Christmas pageant ever I've heard is really good, and I'm gonna try to figure out if I'm going to get that one on dis because I need to see it. Common Writer Amazon from Discothech, The Master of the Lentree from Warner Archive, The Third Wife from Film Movements. Uh, there's a lot next week for whom the Beltos from anyways, any of these that you are either involved in or excited to pick up soon?
Speaker 1: Uh hush, I was I did the stuff on that. That's all right, I have the I already got my shin Godzilla four K a while ago. I guess I nice didn't get like this special edition release or something. It came from Toho, so I ordered it directly from them, and I've had that for a spell. But there's lots of great stuff in this. I I love Edward Scissorhands so much. I love Miss forty five in the Mouth of Madness. You know, you can't see enough of that. There's it's a great lineup of films here. I don't know what else to say about it. I wish they would release Scooby Doo and Kiss movie because that is one of the great sort of buried gems for Kiss fans, because have you seen that movie years ago?
Speaker 2: I did the same with the Phansom of the Part, Yes, yeah, Fantom of the Well, like John Harrison out of Australia just put out his Kiss book, and I there's so much that I wish that we could like unfold the rights for. And obviously Kiss has been a lot of people's minds over the last ten days with a recent tragedy. But I mean it's it's like one of those things that people have been itching for for.
Speaker 1: Ever, the Kiss and Scooby Doo movie, and I think it's called rock and Roll Mystery if I remember correctly, was such. It is a total love letter to Kiss and Kiss fans. There's so many deep cuts and references to albums even there's a lot of it's heavily leaning into The Elder songs from the Elder, which is the album that Kiss fans kind of don't talk about, but rich and more because it was a concept album that a lot of the elements in this movie pull from. So I can't say enough good things about that. And I would love for that to get blue ray with interviews and things. I would yea, how cool would it be? To have commentary with Paul and Jean or something like that. Oh so cool.
Speaker 2: I wish, I wish. So let's get into some of this special features work Reverend Entertainment. For those that have not ever heard the name, because it's not usually listed on the back of the box or anything like that, how long ago did you act?
Speaker 1: Look?
Speaker 2: When was the first Reverend Entertainment Itself project? That was what like twenty eleven, twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: That sounds about right. I think it was maybe twenty eleven. The name I think was put on something for the first time on sleep Boy Camp. I want to say that must have been the first time, because I remember the editor who I was sitting with at the time, Justin Cruz, who's an amazing talent. It's gone on to much greener pastures than cutting my crap together. He was like, so, what what do you put on there for a company name? And I'm like, it's just me and he's like, no, you need to have a company and like and there's this whole convoluted story behind the name that I won't bore you with, but it has to do with professional wrestling and witches and Salem and this whole thing from years before. That may be for another day, but I pulled that out of my out of the air at the time when we were sitting there, and that's how Reverend Entertainment was born.
Speaker 2: And you could say on the show, by the way.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you. And in the moment, I remembered something that back to Carpenter had told me years ago, which was like, put your name on things, and you acknowledged earlier how bad I am promoting stuff and how gross it feels like even like talking about the album and when people are asking me about it's a it's an awkward intersection for me, like transitioning from the creation stage of things into the marketing stage and all of that. It's not really where I belong. But he said his way around that because he felt the same was he's like on his famous story on Halloween seventy eight when he said, okay, well I'll do it for that amount if my name can be above it. And he told me that's what gave me my career. And he said, whatever you do, and make sure your name is there. And I'm like, all right, this will be my shortcut to not having to talk like promote things so much, and whatever, and so I put that above the Reverend Entertainment name and it's stuck ever since. And it's been just a crazy journey of ups and downs and all kinds of side roads with small labels and personal projects like Sleepway Camp. I took to shout body Bags, I took to shout so some things that I've ad actually sort of cultivated and taken in hush. I'm not hush. Haunt was that way. I remember, I think you and I talked about the hot Box set with Ronan and how great Ronan was about just letting the three of us, Scott, Brian and I just run wild with that thing. So man surviving COVID through this. There was a time when I stepped away from the business for a while because I was so burned out, and then I came back for Silent a deadly night and they drew me back in and it's been crazy. I mean, I didn't know where to begin, but yeah, seep Away Camp is the first time that my name was on it. The first ones I produced were Halloween four and five, and then there was tank Girl and tank Girl happening, I think kind of simultaneously with Sleepaway Camp, and then prior to at the same time as those, Michael Felcher, the great Michael Felcher, who's like one of the gods of the realm of documentary and special features, brought me in on Prince of Darkness when he did that for Shout and so I interviewed John and Alice Cooper for that, which led to this whole thing with Alice over the years a number of times. And he also brought me in on Town That Dreaded Sundown.
Speaker 2: Great great film, great release too.
Speaker 1: I was so that movie haunted me when I was a kid. I remember seeing it at my babysitters. She was taking a nap and I'm downstairs. I don't know how tiny. I was just transfixed by what I was seeing this. I'll never forget the trombone scene with the knife and the tree. I'm like, five, turn off your TV. I don't know, hide the remote.
Speaker 2: I don't remember. First off, like most people in the chat that have not seen that, that sentence alone has to be one of the most mbone of the knife, the trombone and the knife in the tree. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not something you're gonna hear every day, but it's a and it's a fascinating movie, and that track for me was the first time that I was like, Okay, well maybe we can try something creative here, because it's a real story, right. It's this movie by Charles B. Pierce, who I love from Boggy Creek, which became this whole other thing with Pam. This movie straddles the worlds of reality in cinema in a way that's playful but also dark, and it's just so good. And so I brought in the case the case historian James Presley, who is in the middle of writing a book that's now out on that case, and he was on one side of the conversation talking about the case. I was on the other side talking about the film and Pierce, and we had a discussion that ran on that commentary. And I don't put myself on commentaries unless I asked to, or unless it's like absolutely necessary for some reason. But on that one, I mean, it was so early and I didn't have anyone else to put in that lot. So it was an exciting conversation. And so as much as I tipped my hat to I was giving credit earlier to these other folks Shout and Trancas and all that I have to also do the same for Felscher because he had no reason to bring this dumb ass from Iowa in to cover any of this stuff, and he did, and I'm forever grateful for that.
Speaker 2: I mean, not turning this about me, but just to show how meaningful they are. Both Felscher and another one that was mentioned earlier, Lee Gambon, are the two people that I can credit with me getting into the stuff as well. Like Lee brought me into edit, Lee referred me to Felcher for another shout project, and without them, I wouldn't be sitting here with you two and a half years of work for this industry behind me. Now it's kind of crazy, and a lot of that is because of people like you that kind of After Anchor Bay came in and set the bar for a lot of people, You and Lee and a handful of others said well, but what else can we do? What can we do to push the boundaries? What can we do to keep this alive? And now, I mean when Scream Factory approached you, what they weren't even screen factory. They were shut factory about Halloween four and five. Now look at what they've done since then I mean, it's an explosion.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. I mean, but they Cliff and Jeff, and I can point directly to them of course as a marketing team there and whatever else, but I think Jeff was head of marketing at the time. It's kind of like what I was talking about with Paramount, where if you have the right fans internally, Yep, they can see and seize the opportunity in that moment, and what they were embarking on, they were already underway on. I think the Fog. I think the Fog was the first. Was that the first Scream Factory title? It may have been, but they were underway with the Fog and something else I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I think they live as one of those first ones.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well, so it started with Carpenter and I was just floored with their dedication and passion for this stuff, which it became friendships with those guys and a mutual respect and openness to ideas. And that wasn't something that I necessarily knew to expect or not expect, but it taught me to want that. It taught me to enjoy taking the side roads, to enjoy the weird, embrace the arcane, and there are there's stuff that I got to do with Shout that I wouldn't have ever gotten away with with a lot of other labels, Like on Willard, I brought in the rat trainers for audio commentary, and a lot of people are like, look, no, no, no, listen.
Speaker 2: Got to hear it, you got to hear it.
Speaker 1: It's these guys are amazing and they've never been tapped for this kind of thing before, and they were they were nervous coming into the studio and then will you be on it with us? We're not going to have enough to say, and I'm like, okay, I'll be there. I hardly had to say a thing because they had such great stories from wall to wall, and not just about that production, but other things in that realm that the veil isn't lifted on very often, right, And so that has become for me, and that was learned through those early days with Shout, just like Chris Alexander at Fangoria, who ultimately I owe like he's one of the very earliest mile markers for me in terms of someone giving me opportunity, and Chris was always wanting the weirder, the better, and even though he's not with Fango anymore. He's continued that with Delirium, his own films that I think are brilliant. I love his cinema, but that combination of the Fangoria Chris Alexander approach. We're not going to put Spider Man on the cover anymore. Now you can do an article on Malatesta's Carnival of Blood or Lady Terminator. We're going to put Alice Cooper on the cover. That kind of stuff, and I think he had been on there before for Fango before mine. But it taught me to get weird, and that's something that I've always really embraced and to find, Yeah, to make time for as many voices on these things as I can, and however I can. Is it always possible to get in the room with them. No, the budgets have never been big for this kind of stuff. But what matters to me is the discussion. It matters is the conversation and the preservation of the history of the movies and these people. So however I have to get there.
Speaker 2: A lot of your stuff is on the unique side, and one that I wanted to bring up tonight that we didn't get a chance to talk to last time because it didn't exist yet. Is hush? First off? Again, a streaming film that could not be seen anymore, was not on Netflix, could not be seen on physical media, was not available anywhere. Gets an incredible release, gets a brand new cut, gets all this other stuff. The big thing I want to bring up we get a video audio commentary for this was that your choice was that a Flannigan choice. Tell me the story behind it.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you the story behind the whole thing. Because Mike Flanagan.
Speaker 2: Hero by the way, like of all of this stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think of who I could compare him to in terms of I really can't. I have never worked with a filmmaker before who wanted so badly. Maybe Adam Green. Adam Green is in the same view here. I don't know my words escaping me right now, but where Mike was like, whatever you guys need, Yeah, whatever you need. And then Mike made it happen. He brought the whole cast together at his house. He opened his home to us for two and it was me and my team and the internal producer Jeff Roland at Shop Factory and they like, I guess you'd say, executive producer and Mike and Katie was so amazing and so open and hilarious, and the vibe was light, the mood was up, and everybody was just relaxing and loving getting a chance to catch up. I mean, they had seen each other on other projects like Midnight Mass and whatever else, but it was like old home week for those folks to get back together and talk about this movie. And Mike's house is a museum of the most amazing things. And our rapport kicked off in the best way because he was giving me a tour of the house. He's like, we can shoot anywhere you want, whatever you want to do. He has a theater in there, black mass mannequins in the Midnight Mass mannequins in the back with the dice on the walls. He has like all this memorabilia from the Natural and Feel the Dreams and the rocketeer and the hat from Doctor Sleep and all this other I mean, and he's like, yeah, pick it up, check it out. He's got he's got Tom Servo and whatever. It's insane. And he's giving me the tour of the house and we go into his office and I freeze. There's a cane on a stand right by the door, and I said, oh, my god, is that what I think it is? And he goes, wait, are you a Storm of the Century fan? And I'm like, is that Lenoja's Cane. He's like, that's Lenoja's hero Caine from Yes You're a Fan, And I'm like, am I a fan? I love Storm of the Century and it has one of the best audio commentaries in the history of audio commentaries, by the way, yep. So it was a very quick bond. And he said, well, then in the corner and let's keep talking. And I turn the corner and find myself standing in front of the most incredible Stephen King collection I have ever seen. Yeah, the other memorabilia is cool, but I'm a King guy, and I being close to like the box set edition of the Stand and all this other stuff. And then I look down and there's the typewriter from Misery, Oh jeez, and there's the hammer from Misery. Mike Flanagan isn't just getting a chance to work on Stephen King's stuff. He is fulfilling a lifelong dream to work on Stephen King stuff. And he's not coming at it lightly. He lives it. If you enter his home. The man lives it, he really does, and I cannot say enough great things about him and that whole I mean, everybody who came in to do the interviews was so generous with their time and their storytelling, and I think it's a great portrait of a guy early in his career who did something in a newish medium, the streaming thing, who had some complicated relationship with that eventually right, and that's why he wrestled back the rights. And to your question about the video commentary on that, that was Jeff Roland. So that's the internal executive at Shout Factory, and he came up with the ideas like can we throw a camera up in the corner of the room, and so we did it. It was it was kind of crazy because I had to be hopping in and out of the room because we were like doing other stuff out in the kitchen area where we had gear staged and things. So I would come in check the audio, head back out, and I think to cover me in that they put like the box of the movie in the middle of the screen where I was sitting, which is kind of meant to sort of hide me getting in and out of that room all the time because I ruined it. But anyway, it was an honor to be part of. And Mike's incredible and he sent the sweetest email when it came out once well shortly before after he saw everything and it had approved all the special features and stuff, and I had all this. He gave me everything from behind the scenes. He gave me all of the BTS stuff that anybody shot with their phones with ePK anything, and I got to use it all on the documentaries and everything. And I just love the guy so dearly, and that experience is something I'll never forget, never forget.
Speaker 2: To see. To see somebody that loves physical media be able to wrestle his streaming only film and get a four disc loving release with all kinds of new special features, new cut, knew everything was such a like I'm so happy for him type of moment, and then to have the release be genuinely great is just so gratifying for people that love him and Stephen King and this legacy that he's been holding force even for all this time. Yeah, I'm stoked that you can work on it. It turned out just incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an honor.
Speaker 2: To pivot. Ever so massively from Mike Flanagan. I mean bringing out the Dead, to be able to work on this, to be able to see a Scorsese film that people have been wondering, Where the hell is it? Why is this one that we can't see? Why is this one that Criterion hasn't touched yet, what it's going on with the rights? Suddenly come out and get a very good release, be very happy, and now be fully out of print. Let's hear some of these stories behind the scenes and all that stuff for now. I mean we all kind of know it's probably coming again soon.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we just announced are they just announced breakdown? So you never know what may be coming down the road. I've been knocking on that door like the biggest pests ever since that thing, because it ran out of print in.
Speaker 2: Like two weeks literally on preorder, I think on preorder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it came out and if anybody had one, it was like grab it and run, which was a real shame. That project was something that I pushed for so hard, and I was so annoying to the team at Paramount because I love that movie a lot, and that's one of them that I bring up time and time again to people, what's an unsung movie, what's like the Hidden Gem and whatever? Always point to that. I held on to my original Paramount DVD with that red cover forever and ever, assuming nothing would happen with it. And then it became a running joke with me and the people inside Paramount where we'd have a meeting about Paramount scares or about breakdown or whatever else, and I'm like, and I can't wait to get going on Bringing Out the Dead and they're like, oh, justin, You're such a dick. Eventually, though, I think it was with the aid of Killers of the Flower Moon happened. Yeah, the door started to open around it. And then it became a waiting game for Scorsese and Cage because Scorsese it was in he was reshooting, reshooting, reshooting, He's back in Oklahoma. He's back in Oklahoma, and we had to be patient, and Cage was on board, very enthusiastic. He would be doing media events for new movies that had landed and he's in the press queue and they're like, so what else you got working on? Well, I'm really excited that Bringing Out the Dead is finally going to get a proper release, And I'm going to be part of that, Like he was talking about it on worldwide media TV and stuff, so I'm like, but it did get to the point, especially with Scorsese in his schedule, where it was like, Okay, is this going to happen? And I give all the credit in the world to the internal team at Paramount, because at any moment they could have just pulled the trigger the transfer. I mean, they could have put that out bare bones or not with at least the previous features that were on that DVD from years ago and left it at that. But they were so wonderful about being patient and man. And then, just like so many other things in entertainment, I get the call that or the email that Scorsese's available, and it's like, but it's like this Friday, and you have one day before he goes on this international media blitz for Flour and it has to be in New York City, and here's a list of the hotels that are acceptable to film that and this Friday, so let us know what time you'll be here.
Speaker 2: WHOA, This is like two years of.
Speaker 1: Waiting and emailing and Okay, can't wait, and thank you so much for your time. Look forward to hearing from you and all that stuff, and then all of a sudden, it's like the light's flashing green right in my face. And so so again tip of the hat to Paramount that that team moves so fast to help put the pieces together to get me and the internal gal up to New York City. It was like around Christmas time, and it was such a whirlwind. It was like a couple of days. Oh I contact. I reached out to Paul Schrader, who was super excited to talk, which I was thrilled about because I don't you know, you never know with Paul that he was wonderful on the day and very generous with his time to and then we found all this unused ePK stuff interviews from the set of the film that nobody had done anything with, which is an unreal fine. The only other time we encountered that was on oh, on Golden Child, which was one of my early Paramount titles, which that's the bulk of what we had to work with was just this onset interview stuff, and I'm like, this is you and I couldn't put it all in there, but I really really wanted to, just like, let's put these interviews uncut. Eddie Murphy is talking about his concept for the movie Raw during shooting of Golden Child. It didn't have a name yet, but the way he describes it, I have this idea. And he's giving all these kudos to Richard Pryor. No one can do a stand up comedy movie now that Richard mastered the craft. He delivered the ultimate and I don't even want to touch it. So my idea is something a little bit different. There's going to be characters and I don't know, you know whatever. It's amazing you see that stuff, to see that, so bringing out the dead all of a sudden in front of me is Tom Sizemore and Van Raims and John Goodman. I mean, the whole cast is right there, Patricia, everybody nice on the set of the film with all this behind the scenes stuff. And then Bob Richardson, who has always been great with me, like I've done a bunch of the Oliver Stone movies, and Bob was always down to come and talk and we bonded over all love for the doors early on, and so he showed up for it the best. Though I'm the hugest Nicholas Cage fan and never would I think that I would get the chance to go hang out with Nicholas Cage. Chris Alexander back to him from Fangoria has an incredible that Trump's mind by a thousand percent story about Nicholas Cage. Those of you who are watching search for Chris Alexander and Nicholas Cage and maybe the word island. There's a whole story about when Cage reached out to Chris for an interview and it might have been on Ghostwriterer Movies or something must have been, and he's like, yeah, we can do it, but you have to come to my island. I'm not going to spoil it for you because it's worth reading and it's so much better. My paraphrasing would not do it justice. But Chris made it like an overnight flight down to get on this little rowboat, like it's shuttled out to this island where he's eating snail penises and stuff with Nicholas Cage. This is all real and you need to check it out. People, So Chris Alexander, Nicholas Cage, and Island. Look it up. My story though, going to Cage's house in Vegas, which was the best experience interview wise, I think I've probably ever had because it was him, because it was his house and his environment, I mean, And he couldn't have been sweeter the whole time. He couldn't have been more grounded, more real. He had made notes on his phone to make sure he talked about all the stuff that he wanted to talk about. How many people that let me the number of people who have walked into interviews with me in what like fifteen years now or whatever with notes, that's it incredible. He kept he had a new baby and he wanted us to meet the baby, and kept walking over Like as we're setting up, he's hanging out with his kid. He's got this grand open plan for his layout of his house, this massive fireplace in the middle, a dining table that's like the one in Batman when Vicky Vale sitting on one end and Bruce is all the way down here and they're like, what, I can't you know? It's like that's Nick's life. In his dining room, There's an aviary in the back of the room with a bunch of large birds living in it. There's fish tanks everywhere, horror posters all over. In the middle of all this are little tikes, climbers and plastic houses for his kids. But the thing he was most excited about out of all of it was he's like, I got to show you my new room that I just finished. Yeah, it's downstairs. Did I tell you about this already? No?
Speaker 2: You you wrote a big long write up about it on oh, on Facebook or something. Yeah, okay, it's an incredible piece. And my remembering this was in Vegas too.
Speaker 1: Vegas, yeah, Last Vegas. Yeah. And he's like, you got you got to see my black light room, and I forgot that I had posted that. So if this is repeat for anybody, apologies. But anyway, under his living room there's like this tight metal spiral staircase like in the Haunting because of course, although way smaller because of course, and it's Last Vegas. And I'm thinking, sure, how many gangsters have lived in this gate because he lives in a gated area of Vegas, like which you need to if you live in Vegas from what I understand. And anyway, you go down this little staircase and it's a hallway that's covered on all sides except the floor and black light posters like what we used to have when we were the fuzzy and you get him at fairs or whatever and they have like a spencer, Yeah, Spencer's there. You go the grim Reaper like holding a snake and I don't know ac DC and shit, and but it was all this all the way down the hall and there's just a little room at the end of it, no doors, just a hallway, which I'm sure people have probably been murdered, and whoever lived in this house before? And then Las Vegas come on, gangsters or whatever, and he's like, I hear him, isn't it great? He was so proud of his black lights in this underground hallway in his house. He was just charming and wonderful and sincere. And at the end we were talking about other movies that he wishes would get this kind of treatment, and we agreed on Peggy Sue Got Married. Yeah, we talked about a few other films, but he was from the moment I got there and he opened the door. He's just a family guy. He is. I mean, there's all there. Everyone thinks there's crazy Nekroa's cage, but I can say when you see him at home, he loves being around his kids and his wife and a man in his black lights, was a man in his black lights and his aviary full of giant birds and giant dragon sconces all over on the floor and Batman table. Awesome. It was great. And then when it came out, I was so so excited and singing from the mountains about this thing. And then it sells out so quickly because that was part of the Paramount Presents series, and if you're a recall, when that was going, all those were limited, yep. And I think that happened on Breakdown too. I think Breakdowns sold out pretty quickly as well. Some of the other stuff I did, like Blue Hawaii didn't do very well, even though I was super excited to work on that and a few but for the most part, a lot of those titles did very very well. And then it just became again like me being annoying about bringing out the debt again. Now it's okay, we did it. When is it going to hit General Catalog? When's it going to get hit General Catalog? And I sent that same email today a matter of hours prior to you and I connecting to ask once again, is this going to happen? And I'll just say never say never, and I certainly hope that it happens sooner than later, because there's still people asking me about it all the time. Of course, And it was the and that was it, that was my that was the swan song. That was my final project with Paramount, which is crushing but also at the same time so perfect because it's the one that I was like chasing around and the one that we had to be so patient with and the one where I'm in the room with. I mean, just all of it, the whole, all the stories behind it, all the lead up, all the hu above, the rush, the week of the shoots in New York, Paul Schrader's showing me is the Finger where Scris says he's dog bit him at some party. I guess anyway, he had a big bandage on his family, Like what happened? He's like, we'll ask him. You know, his dog bit me. He told you.
Speaker 2: It was a bier And.
Speaker 1: But anyway, uh, for that to be it, I hope it comes back someday, if some miracle happens and sky Dance loses ownership of Paramount and decides to invest in physical media again. But I'll always I mean, what better way to write off in the sunset, you know. And really it was the same with Shout and Hush Hush, I think was it was certainly the last production for me.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: With Shout, I was also working on Born in the fourth of July, Yeah, and JFK at the same time. Maybe Born in the fourth July I might have been a little bit earlier, or I might be flip flopping those, but I think Hush was the last actual release with them too, And that experience with Mike is unforgettable and.
Speaker 2: Pretty robust thing to end on.
Speaker 1: It really is in both cases, I mean, a happy accident. If something had to come to a conclusion, I'm glad it did in those ways and with those films.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, the companies that you've worked for throughout the years are kind of crazy to run down the list. I mean, first of all, a lot of people that do this don't ever get a chance to be not even like touching studio things, but to be so close with studio things, and for you to be, you know, deep inside paramount has got to be such a cool thing. I mean, you were mentioning the archive. Literally everybody as a Paramount deal always mentions this because most studios will say no, we don't have anything and that's it.
Speaker 1: Sorry, And a lot of them don't. A lot of them don't make that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: With Paramount, it's literally, oh we might, and we will send people down there and literally uncover as much as we can, and most of the time they have something. Their archive is incredible.
Speaker 1: It I in the years that I've been talking about this stuff, the stories that always rise to the top are somehow, I mean, there are many, but some of the greatest rewards for me are relating to fines and discoveries with that team and things that I was allowed to do that I really probably didn't have the right to do. Like on The Last Castle. Did we talk about that last time?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I think we did before we recorded, but I don't think we went deep into it during.
Speaker 1: Okay, So The Last Castle, for those who aren't aware, is an amazing movie and is absolutely one to track down. Robert Redford, James Gandalf Mark Ruffalo. It is so stacked. It's a real powerhouse film. But it suffered a really unfortunate fate that when they were in post on this movie, they had released teaser posters and trailers maybe a trailer, but definitely ads and posters. The movie is about a military prison being overthrown by the inmates, led by Robert Redford, who's put in there, and the poster was like two military prison towers on fire with a tattered flag in the foreground. And then nine to eleven happened. Yeah, and so they had to recall the whole ad campaign. They sent out apologies. I still have I tracked down on eBay some of the materials that were sent out to different newspapers and theaters like we're so sorry, poll which you have used this stuff instead. And so as a result, the movie just came and went. It just absolutely disappeared. It's a real powerhouse film and that was so much fun to be part of. But one of the stories, similar to with Breakdown, the director when he was talking to me about the impact that nine to eleven had on the film, and it's not just its release but the film as a whole. Originally that film and they shot it was meant to end spoiler, Can I give a spoiler here where people are seeing Okay, the film, Redford's character passes away and it was to end with his military funeral, and they and at the end of it, in this very symbolic gesture, the flag from his coffin is folded up and then handed to his daughter, which is a certain moment of closure that if you watch the film, you know their complicated relationship is very much at the heart of a lot of the movie, and so it's a moment that really matters. It really did. But I understand their desire to not have something like that at the end of movie at that time. I very much respect that, of course, But when I was talking about it with him, he mentioned that he's like, I've never even seen the footage. I don't know what happened to it. But I don't know. And so I went to the archive team and I'm like, if I could just get some stills, if I can get anything, if we have any scraps of that day, And they came back, to my astonishment and said, not only do we have it, we have everything on the day. It had never been assembled. But it's like take one, take two, take three, take one, take for the whole thing. Like you're seeing the trumpeters, you're seeing the hands over the casket, folding the flag. It's all there, and the scratch audio is all there too that they had on the day. I only say scratch because it wasn't processed and cleaned and all that and perfect. Okay, so I can at least cut this into the piece right. And then one day, as I was waiting for something else, I don't know that took time, I had some downtime and I thought, let me just monkey around with this, and I start choosing shots and putting together this scene to see what it would be like to have this assembled in its primitive form. I mean, this was pretty early in my editing days too. I'm an eternal student in that regard, and I have a million miles to go to get anywhere near to like the Felchers and these guys that are out there. But I'm trying doing my best. But on this day I decided to cut the end for the last Castle. And then I sent it into my then executive at Paramount and I said, hey, here's what it would look like. But I'm going to choose a few bits and pieces. And he came back and he's like, no, no, no, hold on, let me send it to legal. What long story long? Again, it gets cleared and it's on the disc. So the alternate ending that's on that disc, which I think is now up to four K, maybe by Keno or someone else has picked it up. It's lived on, it's continued to live on, which is so exciting. That edit is by me, and I had no right to be doing it, but what an amazing thing to cut scene in a Robert Redford movie. I probably shouldn't have been and for them, but for them to support me in it, you know, for them to be like, yeah, you know what, this is cool instead of what have you done? Which is totally what I expected to get back. All goes back to the archive team. Though they could have easily just said because I don't think that stuff wasn't on their inventory sheet. They could have easily just said nope, But they went and they found every bit of it and sent every bit of it to me. They could have just sent me clips, that's true. They could have done a million things, but instead they just gave me the whole thing and it was so awesome. So yeah, that's so cool.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're privy to this information. Jake is asking, do you know how many copies of the Paramount Present's line gets pressed? I found from someone else. I think they had said that it was six thousand of every Pairmount Presents.
Speaker 1: That sounds right, That sounds correct, I think, And they may have even done a few additional on that one. I want to say, I can't remember, but I think six is correct. Yeah, I'd have to confirm. I can't remember exactly. For some of those times there is more so low. It's it's rough, it was a new thing. You got to keep in mind, this is a studio that has skimped on releases historically. Think about all those Paramount DVDs back in the day. There was a uniformity to how they looked with some people appreciated that box on the back at the top special features, animated menus which we all love, but they were never famous for their special features. And for these guys to come in, this crew who I got the good fortune to work with and push for a Paramount Presents line, let alone, Paramount scares right. And however, whatever degrees of success that has or will have, I mean, it's really a feat if you consider that it's with this historic studio who really hasn't paid a whole lot of love to their movies on home video. So I think Paramount Presents was an experiment that went very well in some cases, not very well in some others, like any catalog, but it was a special moment for them. And if these Skuydance people are going to come in and I don't know what they're going to do or what their plan is, but I do know that it just this kind of stuff doesn't seem to be a real big focus right now. And if, just like I'm saying with bringing Out the Dead, for me personally, if the Paramount Presents line was the sort of sign off for in house curated releases with new content, they did a hell of a job on it.
Speaker 2: Well, and they did a lot for the in a fairly short period of time. I mean, pre twenty twenty Paaramount was out of the game. There was not anything happening. And really, like Imprint in Australia is one of the big greasing of the wheels that happened here. It was, yeah, there's a lot of demand for these things, and so Imprint got those down there, and now in the US they exploded and very quickly got that catalog. I think they ended up like with thirty five forty something.
Speaker 1: And they're so nice. You got that open cover with the original poster art in there, the slip sleeve. A lot of love was put into all of those by the whole team in the air, and it was the same with the Scare stuff, and I hope that that continues. I hope that it would be great to see a whole line evolve from that. But with the state of things there now, I frankly have no clue what the future holds for any of that stuff. But we got it while we did Yeah, we got it while we did.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's not the same, but the branding continues to live on. We know Terror Vision has more of the VHS coming with the Paramount Scars branding, so hopefully that that can stay resurrected for some time.
Speaker 1: We'll see, Yeah, I hope.
Speaker 2: So trying to keep you less than about three hours, We got about seven and a half minutes left if I'm sticking to that sort of lightning round as quick as you can for some of these what what do you feel like is the special feature that you look back on and feel like, this is my like fully realized. If I'm summing up everything that I've done on special features, this is the one that I present to.
Speaker 1: Somebody Silent Night, Dowa of the Night Part two. Really it's a good pick, really because that was a and I know you're saying lightning round, but that was a film that had been so maligned for so long, had been reduced to a punchline.
Speaker 2: And a meme.
Speaker 1: And what I found with Lee Harry the director or Eric Freeman, with the assistance of Justin Powell Pizzow he calls himself on YouTube and stuff, but he helped connect me with Eric, and that again back to the sincerity thing that I keep talking about. So much time and love went into making that movie something more than what the assignment was, and it was a tremendous opportunity for me to help the world see Lee Harry as a filmmaker, to see Eric Freeman for who he is instead of just garbage day. And Lee dug up footage from when he was a little kid making movies in his backyard and it matched exactly to what he had told me in the interview and when I asked him about it. While I'm sitting there editing with my editor Mike Saunders from Prescribe Films at the time, and I'm like texting like, Lee, does this stuff exist? And he's like, well, somewhere maybe, and then it starts showing up in my inbox and matches note for note for exactly how he was describing being a filmmaker in his backyard with his friends and family and he was little. And it just feels to me like a way to sort of justify that. But also one that I know I've received criticism for it is big Trouble in Little China, because on that one, I had no I always say I had no breaks, right because I discovered that everyone who wasn't Kurt Russell was basically ignored on all the video releases historically. And then as I think you and I talked about this before, so forgive the repetition, but the chance to talk with Carter, Wong and you name it. Man, all those guys are icons in their field, and they took the time to come in and talk, and I wanted to present those conversations in as full as possible because it's, like I think it still is the only time many of them have been interviewed for something like that, And I received a lot of flak from people for lack of cuts and whatever, but it's like no, I wanted. This is so much more in my mind for them and their story and Drew Strews and who we just lost same thing where Drew is so sweet. I should have been more prepared here. He sent me after the interview with him. For that, he sent me a charcoal drawing of a of a panther and signed it Drew Strews in which I think he usually just signed strews in on stuff. And then he sent me this other thing. Damn, I should have brought it here. It's this quote from Thureau about if we could only look into each other's eyes one more time. I'm not going to paraphrase this and ruin it, but it's like the sweetest thing. And so I have them hung wow like that side by side. Who does that? I haven't incredible? The only no one reaches out after interviews usually and says anything, but oh, Carter Wong sent me a framed a gold framed picture, not real gold, like a gold color. I didn't it a picture of him in a temple with a thank you on it and it says good luck on it like that's that happened on the same project, on Big Trouble, And so I'll take all the shit I can get from people who are complaining about my lack of edits on that. My job was to tell these to get these people's stories out there, and I wanted it to be as thorough as I could. And yeah, so I'm honored to have been part of any of that, let alone have when these guys say such nice things.
Speaker 2: But well, and now, how fortunate We're probably not going to get another release of that because now it's under the Disney catalog. So that's probably the last word on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, think about that. Yeah, well, it was those two are the two that I probably talk about the most. And then bringing out the Dead, of course, is like the perfect audios.
Speaker 2: One that we didn't talk about last time is I've had people ask me how I'm doing it. But the big question is for somebody like you, how do you? How do you do all this from Iowa? How are you somebody that lives in Iowa and is working on these major projects for people that are nowhere near Iowa.
Speaker 1: Ever, Well, having incredible people around me is the answer to that. I have the my cinematographers in la I like all over the world in pockets. Yeah, I have these amazing dps who I work with, and oftentimes I'm asking someone for a referral. Like Anthony Ferrante has been great in a number of cases because he's shot kind of everywhere, so he knows people all over the place. Hey, do you have someone in blank? And that's kind of something a lot of us in this side of the business do anyway, because there aren't that many of us out there playing this game. So for the most part, it seems like at least the people close to me, we're all very happy to share content and references and whatever.
Speaker 2: But it's.
Speaker 1: A combination of being able to conduct interviews remotely from here with a camera person in the room with the other party, or depending on how deep I am and all these projects, the cinematographers might handle the interview in person with what I've sent them. I try to be there in person as often as I can. In fact, tomorrow morning or tomorrow afternoon, I'm flying out to LA and I'll be out there for a week shooting stuff. But COVID helped level that field a little bit because it made it acceptable to have someone on a screen talking to you instead of having to be in the room, and so I'm very grateful for that. And the technology has evolved a lot since COVID too, Like zoom resolution is such trash and it maxes out at like seven twenty or maybe even for eight. I don't know, I'm seven to twenty. I always it was such a miserable thing to have to struggle with during COVID, and then come services like riverside or I can get four K and whatever else. So you can also get some pretty solid remote stuff shot now too, with people in other countries or somewhere where I don't have a crew or can't find someone, And a lot of times people pop up at the last minute, Oh I'm available now, and we can do that now. So back to my point, I mean, it's like it's varying degrees of means to be able to do it, and to me, it's all about gathering those stories. But true, I mean I would start rattling off names, but I don't want to make anyone feel like they're left out in doing that because everybody is so vital to this effort. And so I mean, ultimately the company is it's me here in Iowa, yes, as you said, but it's not it's this family of impossibly awesome creative people that are around me and supporting me and my friends, Like I mentioned Lynn who doesn't work for my company. Linn Omiker, who I mentioned at the very beginning of this, but is always helping me with stuff layouts and graphic things. He's a computer guy who knows so much. I could just run down a list, but I'm a part of it. But it's this family. It's a family.
Speaker 2: So much of this is literally just networks of people and building the relationships and trust and being able to say, oh, I need this person on this day. I know that I can trust these four people and be able to reach out to them at any point. It's kind of incredible to see how many people touch a single one of these projects, let alone like an entire company's line up.
Speaker 1: Oh it's absolutely and I love when someone reaches out. It just happened today someone hey, do you have anybody in blank? And I'm yeah, I do. Here's their names. And it was New York City, so it takes me back to shooting with Scorsese and all that up there. But I'm like, yeah, absolutely, I got a great guy up there, and it spread the love. We're all fighting the same fight, and it takes it. Anybody who claims this is a one person thing, I don't know how they would do that, first of all, but I have to just I've been the knee to reference Game of Thrones to the people around me in this thing and who have supported me through the years, and just so indebted to them.
Speaker 2: Since twenty twenty, a title that's come out that you are wishing that Reverend would have been on instead of whoever did it?
Speaker 1: Since twenty two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that's the time when you know, everybody was getting stimulus checks and everything exploded. And it seems like since that time, we've had more companies start, we've had more releases. I mean, we're at the point now where it will we'll get three weeks in a row where there's more than one hundred announcements. It's kind of insane.
Speaker 1: I don't know about the twenty twenty thing. A few that I wish Night of the Demons for Shout Factory, I wish I would have been on those. I did it an exhaustive. That's what got me the gig at Fango was this bloated Night of the Demons retrospective. I wrote and sent to Chris, I'm like, can I write I hear you're heading in his editor? Yeah, and still anyway, Night of the Demons. I loved those movies so much, and so I would have I already had all the contacts, and when I heard that it was being released, I'm like, oh, okay, guys, and they're like, oh, it's already done. I'm like, oh, man, So that that was one I wish the Halloween box set. We're not talking twenty twenty. I did work on that four K set. I worked on Resurrection on that one, but I wish I could have done that whole box set. Yeah, there was a time when that was discussed, and that's a great regret. But you brought up what was the one you brought up? When you were going through that list? You were like, and I was like, oh, man, I wish I could have worked on that. You just brought one up a little bit ago. I mean, it's always happening, man, It's always happening. Because there's so many films that have only been available on Bear Bones releases where the stories have never been heard, and I'm like, oh, let's talk to the guy who taught the dog to do the basketball, shot, air bud or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get like that with a bunch of titles. And then the other thing is I'll get with you know, get all excited about something and realize, oh, it's an MGM title. Yeah, that means nothing is going to happen.
Speaker 1: And some of them I wish I could revisit, like I wish I could go back and recut some things I wish to say. I was talking so much with Crispin during the production of the Willard Disc and his dad, his late dad, and Crispin's was so down to do it, but he was stuck overseas buying a castle. That's a real it happens, that's a real story, and so we missed our flights, missed, you could say. And it's it's heartbreaking because I really wanted to do a really robust tribute to him on that and someday I would love to do that in some form. But let's get back into that when I was working. Just the list is so long of titles that I wish I could go back and add more to or have been a part of. But I really love watching the work that all these other folks do too, because I get sick of what I do and seeing. You know, I don't like to revisit the things that I've made after they're done, and so it's in a way it's better if someone else gets like Knight of the Demons, Yeah, because then I can watch it and enjoy it. Whereas I've always described this thing, I don't know if I said this last time we talked, but I've always felt that working in this realm, it's like entering a relationship over and over again that you know is doomed. Like imagine getting involved with someone and knowing when it's going to end. Yeah, And so I get, Yes, I get the opportunity to work on these movies I love, and I'm going to spend so much time with them. I'm going to be pouring over frame by frame, trying to find the right cuts, the right moments, the right quotes. I will have seen it so many times that by the time it's done, I can't almost bear to look at it again, at least for a while. And there are some movies that have countered that experience, but a lot of them it's still like it was such an intense window of time, such an intense relationship in such a short period that it's almost like I just need time away from it. And so it's kind of tragic in a way like that, where I'd like, Oh, I can't wait to work on I don't know whatever movie, and then knowing that in a matter of months it's going to be this breakup. It's kind of sad. So in a way, it's nice when other people get hired for stuff I love. I guess is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: I feel that immensely two more things. I'll take the easier one first. And in your mind, what makes a good supplemental feature.
Speaker 1: Conser iteration for the person being interviewed, the people being interviewed, not just phoning it in with the same rote questions like research it enough to know what other people have already covered, especially if it's been covered a lot. So I think that the best special features present someone with sincerity and it follows their lead in the stories they tell. Yep, because you can dictate through editing in a lot of ways. But I've always found the journey following that person down whatever side roads they want to lead the discussion to be the most interesting stuff. And the special features, whether they're commentaries or documentaries that I'm proudest of are the ones where we really got to see the person there, where we really got through that sort of media of guys or normal pocket questions or answers that they pull out. There's been some really emotional moments, some really special moments with people, Like even back to the towards early on with Felyssa Rose at the end of the Sleepaway Camp documentary, because I'd love to ask people at the end, well, you know, after all of this, after all these years, and what does the movie mean to you now, and what's your relationship like with it? There's my rote question that I ask everybody. But by that time, you've established something special, and so that moment really settles in a different way if you've had that kind of in depth conversation up until that point, and I've there have been some just really amazing moments just with the end of the discussion as a result of that. So I think it's offering something new to the audience. I think it's offering the person being interviewed and experience for themselves, and I think it's showing respect to all involved to show up ready for whatever direction it's going to go. And I think I still think that Darkest Days is the greatest film documentary ever made about the making a Blade Runner. Charles has made an absolute masterpiece with that movie. And that's like my beacon is, Remember it can be this good. You'll never be there, but it can be this good, So never stop reaching and trying new things and whatever. So anyway, that would be my answer to that.
Speaker 2: As existential as it's going to be, especially following that, what is left for for justin in this industry? What is there left for you to tackle? What do you feel like you are missing.
Speaker 1: Nothing? If this ended tomorrow, I'd be okay if it ended now. Yeah, I mean it's really you're asking me the same kind of question that I asked these people that I was just talking about, and here I go. But it's given me a life that I never expected Ryan, And I'm not rich, and I don't I'm not out hobnobbing with celebrities or anything. But I'm really honored and proud to have been able to do what I have even with my limited means. None of this was a plan, just like with the record you asked at the beginning, like there was no plan to make an album. I became a cessed with creating something and then it happened. And that's kind of how this whole road has been for me, has been just continuing to do and to try to do in a way that makes that serves the things we were just talking about in the last d answer.
Speaker 2: But I.
Speaker 1: Don't have any goals in it because I'm so surprised that any of it's happened. And it's an industry. There's no ladder to climb, right, And what matters to me is family and friends, and they're always going to be there. So if this poof whatever, I'll go back to working for a finance company or whatever else I need to do. But I'll always look back at it fondly and be so grateful for what I've been afforded in this because this guy from Iowa shouldn't have been a part of it at all, and that's how it's happened. Though, So I don't know, bad answer, terrible answer for that great question.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not though. It's one of those things that there are many reasons to do this sort of thing, and I think that speaks to the kind of person you are, the kind of person that I am about this is I never sought out doing a lot of this stuff. It was mostly just it happened that I needed to help somebody, and suddenly there's opportunities that come from that. And I don't have the goal of, you know, making a film like I've never been somebody that's desired to be a director. I've the same thing as probably many of the people in the chat tonight, Like I did like stupid, silly short films with friends and stuff like that in high school. But I've never thought I'm going to write a film and see a play in a festival or anything like that. And there are people in this industry that are doing stuff like this that have those goals that they are seeing this as, Oh, I'm building up skills to be able to do that. Someday I will be releasing a film of these people that do it to meet celebrities. There are many of these people that do this to get rich, and you're in the wrong industry because it does not.
Speaker 1: Pay, I would guess, though. I mean, I really want to say that after the years of meeting people on all kinds of levels of success, and most notably and importantly to me, after being part of so many film festivals over time that are conventions that have film festivals and stuff. Most people aren't.
Speaker 2: In it for those reasons, No, most or not.
Speaker 1: The filmmakers that I meet, the people I'm lucky enough to sit with, I can't even think of how many of them even talk about money, right, I mean, I really Yeah. This is an industry that involves an orchestra to make anything happen. And that back to your about Reverend and how I do it. It is the orchestra, it is, and every piece is important equally in that right to get a movie made on any level is a fucking miracle, and it's harder now than ever to do something substantial. We have the means now in our pockets. Yeah, there's movies being shot on cameras that are affordable finally, So that's great. There's an economy to that. More kids in more backyard shooting, more stuff, bring it on. I'm happy for that, But I don't know how many people who get into this business aiming to make money really end up happy, not just because the business is famous for eating people alive, but also because if you can't be satisfied with what you're doing, on your personal creative level. Yep, then I don't. There's not going to be joy here because there is no finish line, there's no arrival date. Even people who get the Star on the Walk of Fame or whatever that's paid for that's campaigned for, you buy those right. There are awards that mean something, but it's just people who want to it. It goes back to what I was talking about with the column for remind magazine, where it's like, I have such deep reverence for these people who wanted to create some crazy theme park on the side of a mountain that's like a Wild West town that has a shootout six times a day and has a roller coaster off the side of a mountain in Maggie Valley, North Carolina, ghost town in the sky. Anyone who has an idea and wants to create something to bring joy to others, ultimately they have to first be serving their own creative instincts in drive and I for me and from what I've seen over the years, it just seems like money doesn't really outside of the ability to create things when you have it. I don't talk to filmmakers about how much they make. It doesn't come up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to me, like most of the times when it comes up, it's literally I just need enough to be able to fund that next project, right, And that alone shows why they're in it. It's literally just I just want to be creating. What can I do to get that done?
Speaker 1: To continue to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, incredible. This has been a really fun companion to the last conversation cannot wait two and a half years for time.
Speaker 1: Were there any questions that popped up in the chat? I don't. I don't see the chat, So were there anything in there that we needed.
Speaker 2: To I've asked a lot of I think most people have been captivated by the conversation, and it's the feedback is slowed down just because we're the stories, right yeah, not even like a couple of weeks ago. We went five hours. So yeah, this is a long showy by default, I guess. But I mean the stories themselves are are enough. I mean they don't we don't have supplemental features for supplemental features, so it's it's always interesting to hear about black light hallways and dog bites.
Speaker 1: Crazy life man, crazy life.
Speaker 2: Oh justin this has been amazing. Everybody. Please go check out the album and description. The book in the description the website and the description follow reverend You're Are you mostly active on Facebook or is there anywhere else you want people to follow you for updates?
Speaker 1: Facebook and Instagram are the two. And then the band Fantom light Keeper is on ban camp on my website if you I don't know if I mentioned this already, but if you order the the vinyls limited to one hundred. They're print pressed on ghost white vinyl from Waxwork, and I still have maybe just under half of those left. It came out I think a week ago and I'm down to already, so, and there's also CDs there, but if you buy either one of those from my site, the CD or the vinyl, then you also get a digital download of the whole album, and that comes with a bonus track that's not available anywhere else. That being said, it's also available, excuse me, on band camp, so you can get it there. But on my side, I have samples and things if you want to hear some of the songs and my crazy noise that I make with it. Thank you for spotlighting that, man, I appreciate it. It's been a hustle to get this thing out there and it's really cool to chat with you about it well and everything else.
Speaker 2: I don't think we've talked about it, but I feel like I've heard you talk about somewhere else about imposter syndrome. And it's something I struggle with immensely, literally on like a daily basis. Not I don't know why I'm in a room, I don't know why I'm having shirt first exactly, and it's like, sure, okay, I'll deal with it, but it still feels weird. And marketing myself is one of those things that I I don't like telling people about anything that I do. I just want you to know about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's this is such a strange thing for me because if you think about we're talking about the orchestra of people involved with making film and documentary and these awesome team members I have around all over and with this though, it's just me, and so when I to answer for it, it's it's it's it's it feels so vulnerable, is what I've talked about before. And when Greg and Pearl had me on Land of the Creeps, I got straight up emotional about it because I was still dealing with this being a thing now because It's one thing to create something and be in the mania of its making. But then when it's done and it's all sent off to press and waxwork is working on it and the CDs are being pressed, and it's like this is out of your hands now. And then I had this moment of realizing, like, God, what have I done? Like why did I do this? And I so yeah, I especially with this music thing. It's I'm getting a little better about it and my feelings about it, but it just it does feel extremely vulnerable for me. And even though there's it sounds crazy because there's no words in the music, it's instrumental stuff, but it really was. I think it's something I had to go through, and I didn't realize that until two things happened. One was an email I got from Elias Marriage, who made Shadow the Vampire and Begotten, and he was telling me about his experience listening to the album, and it was the sweetest thing, but part of it completely flew over my head where he was seeing or hearing something that I now am amazed that he caught. And then when I was talking to Greg and Pearl and landed the Creeps and they were telling me what they heard in the music, and then I just realized that this kind of needed to happen. Similar to Elias when he told me about making Begotten, he said, that's a film that had to move through him. It had to happen, and it was a process. He didn't know how to turn off at the end because he was He didn't know how or why or when to say enough is enough. And a friend had to intervene and get him, like pry his hands away from editing on the thing, like it just has to be done at some point, got to give it to the world.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 1: So not to get too heady about the whole thing. And this is fucking instrumental, weirdo surf stuff, but it really meant a lot to me to make it. And you're hearing it basically chronologically as you listened through the album as I recorded the tracks. The only two that are flipped of the first two, but everything else, it's like the pro sess of my making it is right there in real time. And it was an immense joy to make that. And so I don't know that I'll ever be comfortable with the guitar in my hands instead of drumsticks, but I sure as hell do love making some noise with this, and I'm excited to continue doing it. Well.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it, so thank you, thank you, thank you. On that note, other than we'll see you next Thursday. When do we get a good release of a gotten God damn it, somebody put that out, we'll talk on that note. Have a good week, because I got to talk to Justin after this otro. We'll seey'all next Thursday. Have a good one, be safe, see that. Thank you for watching the Disconnected. On the way out, make sure that you are subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to Tumbleweeds and TV Cowboys. My name is Hunter. In this podcast, I'll be joined by a different guest each week to discuss a classic Western movie or TV show. I've been a fan of classic westerns for as long as I can remember, and in recent years they've become very nostalgic for me. I love the aesthetic, the tropes, and I love seeing different filmmakers takes on them at their best. They're incredibly entertaining, rewatchable, and some of my all time favorite movies are Westerns. We'll mostly focus on Western movies made in Hollywood, but will also be covering spaghetti westerns and one thing I'm very excited to get into our Western TV shows. We've got some amazing guests coming on the show, film professors, historians, and podcasters and Tumbleweeds and TV Cowboys is part of the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network and many guests on the show will be from other shows on the network.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: To hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network, please select the link in the description