Speaker 1: Download Dad, I just can't hit that note. Come talk with me, you know, oh well for that. I'm Jesse Jackson, Jr. Welcome forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show on KBL Talk fifteen to eighty. I was just sharing with our producer that I can't hit that note, but if I could, I would sing it.
Speaker 2: Come talk with me. I can't get that, I can't do it. Our very special guest in this hour is none other than one a man who has one foot in the pulpit and one foot in the courtroom, but both feet in reality. His contribution on Wealthy Wednesdays on the Jesse Jackson Junior Show is the turning point of our week because we rely upon the thoughtful thinking of none other than doctor Reverend PhD. This ain't no honorary degree. This is the real deal. This Manroe thesis squire, Yeah, all of that. Reverendidierie is our very special guest on this fed me Friday. Reverend Eurie, Welcome forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show.
Speaker 3: You know I love fat back Friday. That's all.
Speaker 2: For those of you.
Speaker 4: It says you found fat me.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, let me ask you a question in the fat back fat me No, No, fat means greasy. Oh okay, I mean that means greasy, but fat back is all greasy and no meat on it anyway. Anyway, hey, listen, the probative nature, probing, digging, deeper, uh cross, examining, interrogating, reflecting, questioning, nature of what Martin Luther King Junior, from your perspective, is trying to achieve. On April nineteen sixty seven, in this speech at the Riverside Church, Beyond the Vietnam A moment to break silence, doctor Erie, our entire hour s yours.
Speaker 3: So that's that's that's what we're doing. I get it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no of you. I thought you could do. See, we don't have a pre show before the show necessarily, Gina kind of gives us the feedback. But when we asked doctor.
Speaker 5: Urie, I'm giving him right now to have a cup of coffee, have a sip of whatever you need to have a sip of.
Speaker 2: We're giving you this ry gene.
Speaker 4: We're giving him that moment I am not going to talk about to Tyle was gracious enough. He was not with us on Wednesday because he was flying. And I said, listen, that little that little pep talk you gave us right at the end, right there, that little sparkle, that little angel dust.
Speaker 2: You dropped in.
Speaker 4: Come on back on Friday, let's talk about it. So thank you talk.
Speaker 2: For being however you want to posit yourself. We're more than willing to receive the blessing that we know you offer.
Speaker 3: The hearing in a few days we will.
Speaker 6: Honor the observed holiday UH in honor of doctor King.
Speaker 3: The last year of his life.
Speaker 6: Kind of starts with this speech at Riverside Church, and he is pulling the lens back to make sure that our definition of justice is not so narrow until we miss the broader sense of moral compass UH in theological discourse to include the ever expanding military industrial complex. And so I think his thoughts kind of focus us on the economics of war and the fact that much of the suffering that has been imposed on the human condition has been the byproduct.
Speaker 3: Of war and the byproduct of.
Speaker 6: The militarizing of everything from local police forces to raising the specter of the nuclearization that would lead to the total annihilation of humankind. So I think he was giving us a foreshadow of what we needed to focus on in the near future.
Speaker 2: You know what I find interesting, Doctor Erie, is that when I think in this moment about what you just said, that of the hundreds of millions of speeches and orations, billions maybe since the Crucifixion and the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth, that in this life and ministry, and in this work of doctor King, he ties his work, in his readings, in his scholarship, in his thinking, in the language that he chooses, in the English language, he ties his work to infinity. He ties it to it in a way that we have to reflect upon it every single day. That it doesn't just end because he said this here, we are forced to go back and look one more time at what he said, and we find something new every time we read it. Because he gave some consideration to sixty years in the future, he gave some consideration to centuries from now. He gave some consideration to what I say in the present actually matters to our understanding of where this nation is going. And I think beyond Vietnam, maybe four or five times, because I will be speaking about it on Sunday and Monday. He mentions Venezuela, Doctor Eerie, some folks get inspiration, other folks get revelation.
Speaker 6: The true meaning of a prophet is to be able to give us a glimpse into a future that is not yet realized, with a sense of responsibility and warning that we not get so self consumed as to miss the instruction. Doctor King was certainly expanding our understanding and the awareness of the globe itself, where there's a significant narrowing going on in real time, and at the same time making sure that we understand that the oppression that is felt in one part of the world extends to other parts of the world almost simultaneously. And a lot of that is the economic policy of the world superpowers to the exclusion of and in the service of the oppression of everybody else.
Speaker 2: It's Fat Back and Fat Meat Fridays on with Gina Towns and our very special guests is doctor s todd Eery More we come forward on k Talk. It's the ja Let's Club on the Jesse Jackson Junior Show. A great to have our very special creator, Gina Towns is our very special creator of the Jesse Jackson Junior Show and none other than our Wednesday regular contributor on Wealthy Wednesdays, Doctor S todd Yery Gina, welcome forward to your show.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you, Jesse, and I am excited that it is the king weekend that there's actually it's been just kind of a celebratory week and you know, I have been encouraged that people have still felt like they could celebrate, because certainly there is a lot to be concerned about. The news continues to be what it is daily, but no, I think it's very important. And Reverend Urie, you know that there's a time for everything under the sun, and so we thank you for being here as well. I do have a clip from Beyond Venezuela and then we'll have you.
Speaker 7: Un it's got Beyond Venezuela going on this weekend when people even have a clip of that coming next week, but at any rate, we'll have you on you when you come back and.
Speaker 2: On it. We can go with that clip.
Speaker 8: I found myself and a call MHM when I read this opening line, time comes when silence is betrayed.
Speaker 9: That time has come for us in relation to Viegnam.
Speaker 10: Okay, Jesse Jackson, do you looking forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior ShW We're having a technical difficulty with our clip but let me ask where a doctor Murrick.
Speaker 2: He doesn't mind. Doctor King, as we were sharing on the outskirts of the program, gave some consideration to the idea of infinity in his thinking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the constraints that are placed on the willingness of persons in power to think creatively about how to use that power to the benefit of all humanity.
Speaker 3: Was deeply troubling to doctor King.
Speaker 6: I guess it's been several days now since I saw an interview between Jake Tapper at CNN and Stephen Miller. I guess the number two in the policy advisement space, but number one in coming up with some of the most curious and spurious foolishness to come out of this administration.
Speaker 3: And basically, Stephen Miller.
Speaker 6: Challenged Jake Tapper to say that he was naive that since the beginning of history, government relationships between government have been framed and shaped by power and force.
Speaker 3: And so he was.
Speaker 6: Basically making the case for what we see happening not only in Venezuela, but and on the streets of Minneapolis and quite possibly coming to a city near you. And so this infinity focus of doctor King was to challenge us not to think so narrowly about the impact and the reach of the fight for social justice, because a threat to justice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Speaker 2: You know, doctor Eerie, when I wrote the book The Finger of God, which is available at Amazon dot com, and I haven't shared with everyone that, nor have I done a show on it. But I want to be clear the purpose of this book and the reason I wrote this book is because I have given some consideration to infinity. I need for all of our leaders, if you want to talk to me or convince me of this or that, I need to know that you've given some thought to an eternal message.
Speaker 11: That you ain't just speaking in a moment moving the crowd, got something to say, do what you do flying through the pulpit or flying through the church tied to a cable of something smoke mirrors, No, no, no. I need to know that, beyond the magic tricks that you're trying to perform for your congregation or for our people, and call it legitimate leadership, that you've given some thought without trappeezes and cables hauling you from the from the balcony to the pulpit, and folk disconnecting you and your suit specifically made to fit your harness so you can fly through the air. I need to know that you've given some thought to the idea that what you say this Sunday is going to be as true five hundred sundays from now as it is in the present moment. For me, that matters, And it's clear to me, Doctor YERI that doctor King gave some thought to the eternal nature of almost everything that he wrote.
Speaker 6: Doctor King was very thoughtful when he considered the role of faith expression and the cause and the call for the liberation of people, and so he was constantly learning, not only about.
Speaker 3: Christianity, but he was always.
Speaker 6: Having conversations with folks from other perspectives. He studied Gandhi deeply. He spent a lot of time with and in conversation with Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heshel, who informed a good deal of his thought. And I think the reason he did that is he understood that no matter which perspective you might take, there's always a period in someone's history where they find themselves as the oppressed, not just the oppressor. And as we have seen, one of the things that doctor King kept pointing out. You mentioned the speech about Vietnam. Before he did the speech in New York at Riverside Church that April, he had done another speech in February of that year in Los Angeles. The Casualties of the War in Vietnam. He mentions five casualties. One was the Charter of the United Nations. Two was the principle of self determination. The third was the Great Society, this notion of building the beloved community and focusing on those things that affect the conditions of people. But the fourth and the fifth are really really critical. The fourth casualty of the war in Vietnam, he said, is the humility of our nation. Said that he had to admit that our power, the nation's power, United States power, has made the nation arrogant when we consider that, he said, it's that arrogance that causes us to lose sight. Their debates and battles about how we're going to address poverty, how we're going to make sure folks get health care. We can't seem to get a war powers resolution through because there's this arrogance. The picture of changing the name of the Department of Defense to the Department of War. And then the fifth casualty is the one that we see happening every day on our television. The fifth casualty of the war in Vietnam is the principle of dissent. There's an intentional stifling of hearing the voices that come from people who are living on the margins, as if their voices do not matter, and as a matter of fact, their voices annoy the government to the degree that we could see something as horrific as the shooting of someone in broad daylight with no aid, no assistance, no attempt to remedy or mitigate the harm that they had caused. All of that craziness is this reality. And doctor King was telling us be careful. He was telling us this almost sixty years ago. Now and here we.
Speaker 2: Are, you know, Tod. Let me share something with you. I read this speech one hundred times, and people say I read something one hundred times all the time I've been at the seminary. I am sixty years old. I have struggled, and everyone on this station and on this show has heard me. Every Thursday, have a conversation with Johnny Mack about the World House. We talk about militarism, we talk about materialism, we talk about racism. So we deal with the Triple Evils. But I read the speech in the last seventy two hours and I found something different that I had not heard in the one hundred times from seminary to the present forty years that I now understand the pivotal. There are multiple pivots in this speech, multiple turning points in this speech. It's called Beyond Vietnam, A Time to Break the Silence. You should google it. You can find it. A Time to Break the Silence. Beyond Vietnam. April fourth, nineteen sixty seven by Martin Luther King Junior. Let me tell what I found yesterday, Todd for the first time. I'm sorry, Reverend Uie. Let me share what I found. He said that as Americans, we are not taking ownership of the fact that our iras, our retirement, and our money and how we really feel is tied to the exploitation of the people of Venezuela, of Guatemala, of South Africa. That we wake up every day hoping that the stock market itself does better, and for it to do better, American oil companies have to do well in Venezuela, and in this particular case, it comes at the expense of the peasants in nineteen sixty eight of Vietnamese. In this particular case, Trump says, this oil is ours. We're going to fix it. American oil companies who contribute it to my campaign. Let's get ready to take what we're going to take from Venezuela, and we're gonna help first America the stock market, and then we're going to provide the people of Venezuela with a quality of life they've never had before. I've read the speech one hundred times, but it's not until today, seventy two hours that I get it that our values, the revolution and values that doctor King is trying to tell us are thus. You may not want a Mexican to be your neighbor, but you do want avocado. You don't want a Venezuelan to live next to you, but you do want lower gas prices. You may think that a Nigerian comes from a shitthhole country, but you do want your car lubed. You don't want or you want strawberries and bananas from the from South America, but you don't want them to live next door to you. Doctor King is asking us to look at Wall Street and recognize that the revolution of values is that we are tied to the very system of exploitation because we want our a's and our stock in the stock market to do well for us today. And we don't give a damn about a peasant in Vietnam as long as we're doing better every day. And Doctor King in this speech, REVENUEARI is slapping us upside our head. We've only got about a minute, but I promise you the remaining twenty minutes of this program is all yours.
Speaker 6: With a minute, I'm going to mention a name that we can carry over into the next segment that I think informs how we have arrived here and we were not paying attention. After Donald Trump was elected in twenty sixteen, he made a key appointment to his cabinet, and that key appointment was troublesome them then, but it's clear to me now. And that's when he named Rex Tillerson to be the Secretary of State. He was a former Exon oil executive to be the secretary of State.
Speaker 2: How about that. I'm Jesse Jackson Junior. I'm not going to close the show. I'm lettinga talent to achia practiced this.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. We are going to return. We're going to come forward after this break and listening to KBLA Talk fifteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Jesse Jackson Junior. This is the Central Standard Time meeting the East Coast and the West Coast on Fat Meat Fridays with Gina Towns, our regular contributor and creator of the Jesse Jackson Junior Show, as well as Reverend doctor s Todd Yeary, both a PhD. A lawyer, one foot in the pulpit and one foot in the courtroom, both feet in reality. He is the pastor of the Douglas Memorial Church in Baltimore, Maryland. Gina, welcome forward to the show. And Doctor Eri, welcome forward to the show.
Speaker 6: Thanks Jesse, I like hanging out on Fat Bag Friday.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you being here. Hey, doctor Ery, I did want to allow Gina to play this clip.
Speaker 4: We want to try the clip again.
Speaker 8: I found myself in full a call when I read this old name line. I'm come when silence is betraying that time has come for us.
Speaker 12: In relation to Vietnam.
Speaker 8: The truth of these words is beyond doubt, but the mission to which they call us is.
Speaker 9: The most difficult one.
Speaker 8: Mm even when pressed by the demands of inner truth. Men do not easily assume the task of opposing that government's policy, especially in.
Speaker 9: Time of war. Nor does the human spirit move.
Speaker 8: Without great difficulty against all the apathy of conformist thought within one's own bosom.
Speaker 9: And in the surrounding world.
Speaker 8: Moreover, when the issues at hand seem as perplexing, as they often do.
Speaker 9: In the case of this dreadful.
Speaker 8: Conflict, we are always on the verge of being mesmerized by uncertainty.
Speaker 9: But we must move on.
Speaker 8: Some of us who have already begun to break the silence of the night, have found that the calling to speak is often the vocation of agony.
Speaker 12: But we must speak. We must speak with all the humility that.
Speaker 9: Is appropriate to our limited vision.
Speaker 8: But we must speak. We must rejoice as well, for sure, that this is the first time in our nation's history that a significant number of.
Speaker 9: Its religious leaders.
Speaker 8: Have chosen to move beyond the prophesying of smooth patriotism to the high grounds of a firm descent based upon the manding.
Speaker 9: Of conscience and the reading of history.
Speaker 8: Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us.
Speaker 12: If it is, let.
Speaker 8: Us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance.
Speaker 12: We are deeply in need of a new way beyond the.
Speaker 9: Darkness that seems so close around us.
Speaker 8: Over the past two years, as I had moved to break the portrayal of my own silences and to speak from the burnings of my own heart, as I have called a radical departures from the destruction of Vietnam, many persons have frusted me about the wisdom of my path.
Speaker 9: At the heart of that concerns, A square.
Speaker 8: Has often mooned large and loud, while you speaking about the world, a doctor, king, While are you joining the bosses of descent?
Speaker 9: Piece in civil rights? Don't mix?
Speaker 8: They say?
Speaker 9: Aren't you've heard of the cause of your people? They ask?
Speaker 12: And when I hear them, though I.
Speaker 8: Even understand the source of their concern, I am nevertheless greatly sad. For such questions mean that the inquiries have not really known my commitment of my calling. Indeed, bad questions suggest that they do not know the world in which they live. In the life of such tragic misunderstanding, I be meant of sick no importance to try to stay clearly, and I trust concisely.
Speaker 9: While I believe that the path on Dexed Avenue Baptist Church, the Church.
Speaker 8: Of Mondomery, Alabama, where I'm again my pastorate leads clearly to this sanctuary tonight.
Speaker 9: I come to this platform.
Speaker 12: To night to make a passionate plea to my beloved nation.
Speaker 8: This speech is not addressed to Hanoi or to the National Liberation Front. It is not addressed to China or to Russia.
Speaker 5: Nor is it an.
Speaker 8: Attempt to overlook the ambiguity of the total situation and the need for a collective solution to the tragedy that we had none. Neither is it an attempt to make no Vietnam or the National Liberation Front Arragon's aversion not to overlook the role they must play in the successful resolution of the problem. While they both may have justifiable reasons to be suspicious of the faith in the United States, life and history there ever can touch them on into the fact conflicts are never e saw without trustful give and take on both sides.
Speaker 9: The night, however, I wish not.
Speaker 2: I've been up at every morning for the last week at three a m. In the morning, reflecting upon the speech, playing it over and over and over again. I printed out the PDF version of this speech, and I have even more questions today than I had a year ago about what doctor King is trying to tell us Gina at this hour. And here's my initial thought. Because the speech continues and he goes on specifically to talk about our revolution of values, Doctor Yurie, and then he says that our troops in Hanoi, our helicopters in Hanoi, the loss of life that we are experiencing in Hanoi is ti to.
Speaker 3: Our desire.
Speaker 2: To have equality of life in the United States that doesn't care very much for the peasants. We want rice, we want gravy on our rice, but we're not prepared to say that the rice patties are in Vietnam. We want avocado on our salad, but we don't want no Mexican neighbors. We want lower gas prices. We get the Venezuelans out of here, keep the Nigerians out of here. Doctor King is saying, until we are prepared to accept that our values, the very things that we desire and need every day to check the stock market, that it's tied to someone else's exploitation somewhere else in the world, Doctor Eerie.
Speaker 6: The next sentence as the clip was ending was where Doctor King says, I want to talk to my fellow Americans.
Speaker 3: So this has to be.
Speaker 6: A family conversation at the table because we have to reshape our understanding of how the world actually functions. You use the pronoun wei. Every time I hear that pronoun, that plural pronoun, I start asking, well, who is we?
Speaker 2: Todd? You know I got to go to a break right now. I promise you more on k Talk fifteen eight when we come forward. I'm Jesse Jackson Jr. Will come forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show on KBLA Talk fifteen eighty. This is Fat Meat Fridays. Our regular contributor and host and creator of the Jesse Jackson Junior Show is none other than Gina Town's. Gina Towns is a Princeton Theological Seminary student with the Masters of Arts and Theology, and Reverend doctor s Todd Yeri is our very special guest from Wealthy Wednesdays on the Jesse Jackson Junior Show. Doctor Yeri, Gina, welcome forward, Gina your thoughts well.
Speaker 4: First of all, thank you, Reverend doctor Uri Esquire for joining us on Fat Meat Friday. We missed you on Wednesday while you were traveling, and certainly we could not go through the King Holiday without having your insight. You know, one thing that I wanted to comment on about this particular speech. It really kind of almost reminds me of a Palm Sunday ish kind of message, you know, one to the date that Doctor King would be assassinated, and he has chosen to step into something that.
Speaker 9: He already knows is.
Speaker 4: Going to be a problem, and that will draw the ire of many people, sometimes some people who would have sided with him and have supported him throughout the movement, but this particular issue was going to draw a lot of criticism. Yet he chose to do it anyway. And I think about the fact of he is following in the footsteps as well of Jesus who made the decision to go ahead and walk.
Speaker 9: The road.
Speaker 4: Of the Viadela Rotha, knowing even from the point that he had to go raise Lazaruth. He's like, I'm going to make the decision to do it, and he doesn't resolutely unapologetically, and he tells people that if you are against me or criticize me in this moment, then you never.
Speaker 2: Really knew me.
Speaker 4: It reminds me of Jesus saying, away from me, you evil do her? You know, because people, well, when did I not give you something to drink? When did I not come and visit you in prison?
Speaker 2: Is away from me?
Speaker 4: You never knew me. And it is a very dramatic moment in the life of doctor King when he draws this out and he sets the stage for the rest of this speech.
Speaker 6: It's a big speech, but it's informed by a lot of intense personal introspection and wrestling. Doctor King was already despised. Right, a prophet is not without honor except in his own home. His own community didn't trust him. This idealic attitude about doctor King posthumously is not where the world was in that last year of his life. He was the most hated black man in the country. And that wasn't just from the oppressor class. This was even amongst his own folk and from the very early days when he was a dexter church in Montgomery. The way he ends up leading the movement is because the other preachers who had tenure, I feel like they had too much to lose.
Speaker 2: No, how about that, right.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 6: This sense is is doctor King uses what we all have, but we don't always all use. And that's his voice. He's able to have a conversation wherever he is in the conversation to raise the awareness and the consciousness about the issue, the moral issues of the day that matter, and then frame them such that there is a sense of personal accountability.
Speaker 3: We have lost that.
Speaker 6: In some degree, not because we can't find it, but because we've abandoned it because with it. Remember this is after right, dog King's house has already been bombed, there's already been personal physical threats on his very life. And yet what he does is not create some specter where he gives the Nobel Prize that he received in a frame, to take it to the White House and present it, say I want to give this to you, as if the symbolic meaning of being the award ee means nothing. Now we just give it like it's some sort of trinket to whoever we choose, regardless of what their record is. I think it speaks to the moment that doctor King's memory, but also his embodiment, the resonance of his voice in this moment is bigger than the March on Washington for jobs and freedom, though that's still critical. But we cannot keep nineteen sixty three in isolation and leave nineteen sixty seven sixty eight disconnected. They are part of the same struggle if we're going to be true to the prophetic mantle that the spirit of the Lord God is in me, and God has anointed me to use my voice to proclaim a change in the existential condition and reality of the people who find themselves amongst that class called the oppressed.
Speaker 2: And you and Gina got me thinking, I need another hour. I ain't gonna lie to you because I'm thinking Doctor King is gone. He is assassinated in Memphis, tennesseee, and he's aged thirty nine thirty nine say it, thirty nine, thirty nine, thirty nine. Men old black preachers had a problem with this nobel laureate. They had a problem with the clarity that doctor King was bringing to the gospels, White evangelical field. Who is this dude man, who is this young cat on the stage with all of this thinking by what authority does he speak?
Speaker 4: Sounds like the Sanhedri.
Speaker 2: I mean doctor King was at thirty nine years old, a young guy raising Cain, and he was a problem for everybody. Joseph Jackson in the Baptist convention and the preachers. And then here he is writing letters to white evangelical preachers saying, of course I belong here. He is taking them through a seminary course and a theological exercise that black preachers who've been preaching the gospel for decades we're not willing to do. I mean, he's challenging them. Then he's challenging the body politics. He's meeting with Kennedy, he's meeting with Johnson, he's meeting with Robert F. Kennedy. The press is focusing on him. That these brothers and sisters had a problem with this young guy who knew what to say and didn't need no notes, who knew the gospel better than they did, and worked towards Paulinium application of the gospel. We only have about two minutes on this list on the show, but come on, now, come on now, listen.
Speaker 6: Somewhere along the line, we felt that it was safer and more expedient to make the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Jesus who is the Christ? That gospel a gimmick. When it's a gimmick, When when Jesus engages Peter who do people say that I the Son of Man am. They go through that whole conversation. Some say you're one of the prophets or you know. He goes back, well, who do you say that I am now at the Christ And then Jesus says something profound. You are, Peter, and upon this rock I will build not the church definitive article, but my church. See every church is not the church that Jesus is speaking to. So everybody find the church where you're supposed to be and do what the Lord is calling you to do so that you can help change the existential reality of people. Even if your voice has to resonate after you're long gone.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Well, it is the end of this hour. Todd, thank you so much for being here with us. We will continue to celebrate doctor King. We come forward on Monday, and if you want to join us, please be welcome. But we certainly hope the rest of our audience will join us on Monday as we continue our celebration of doctor King. This is the Jesse Jackson Junior Show Talk KBLA Talk fifteen to eighty