Speaker 1: I don't know about you, but while listening to podcasts, right in the middle of an interview, I'll get bored and I gotta go. And it's like, oh my god, I feel so sorry for this host, but I gotta go. I need a choice. I don't want to stop listening to podcasts. I just gotta go. That's what ero dot net is all about. A r r oe dot net. When you lose interest in the conversation and you gotta get something, it's right there waiting for you. And one of them is Beyond the Calling. We're talking to the men and women who have served this great nation beyond the calling, only on Arrow dot net a r r oe dot net. Enjoy your exploration. Hey, welcome back to the conversation. Let's do some pod crashing. Episode number four seventy one is with the incredible Jake Steinfeld. Body bye, Jake. He's got his own radio show now on streaming. Erro.
Speaker 2: What are you doing, man, I'm telling you what.
Speaker 1: I'm all excited and fired up about you because you are taking this to the next level where people really are and it's just fun to watch how you are growing with this because you are leading the way.
Speaker 3: Oh Man, I really appreciate you saying that. Thank you, brother, thanks you, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: I mean, because the thing about it is that we're reading on LinkedIn, we're reading on radio inc, we're reading everywhere that we should be creating our own stations, we should be creating our own networks. And here comes Jake and I sat there and I wait, I'm not shocked. I'm not shocked because you have always been ahead of the times.
Speaker 3: Let me take it back a couple of minutes. Man, you know, I was an overweight kid. I had a bad started growing up. I was born in Brooklyn, New York and raised in Baldwin, Long Island, and I had this dream. You know, my dad bought me a set of weights at thirteen years old, and it changed my life. And not only did the waits build my body, but it built my confidence and my self esteem. And it's amazing what happens when you have confidence and self esteem.
Speaker 2: You believe in you.
Speaker 3: And I immediately said, I want to become mister America. I want to go to California to become mister America. I was the first person in my family. No one had ever gone to college in my family Arrow, and I went to college. I lasted ninety days and then I retired because I just got it all in ninety days.
Speaker 2: I said, you know what, this is not for me.
Speaker 3: I'm going to LA and I'm going to become mister America. And my parents weren't happy. I had a girlfriend and friends all said, you're never going to make it. And I got to La summer nineteen seventy seven. I tell people, when the dinosaurs still roam the earth, meaning the big bodybuill is, like Schwarzenegger and Lufrigno and Franco Colombo and all these guys from the muscle magazines all came.
Speaker 2: To life, and I'm in the gym with them. Man.
Speaker 3: And I entered Mister Southern California Contest, and I read all the magazines, and every magazine said he eighteen eggs and twenty four chickens a day, and you too could become mister America. I clucked a lot, Arrow, but I never became mister America. I entered the Mister Southern California Contest in nineteen seventy eight, and I came in second place. That beat me was in the steroids, and I'll never forget the moment. You know, life is about moments, and you have to make decisions. And the reason why I never took steroids is because I was afraid to put a needle in my own bud, Tsimo. I mean, you know, if you remember back in the day, in like fourth and fifth grade, the nurse would give you those TB tests, you know, and if you remember those, but you put it on your forearm and it was like I'd faint and have to lay down for forty five minutes. So forget me putting a needle in my own but Tissimo, you know, and and and you know, I knew that my bodybuilding career was over.
Speaker 2: I didn't, it didn't begin.
Speaker 3: But I love working out and I love how I felt when I trained, and I knew I didn't want to go back to a New York a loser because all my friends and a girlfriend and everyone said you're never going to make it. I said, I'm staying. I don't know what I'm going to do. And fortunately for me, right place, right time. Man. I was living in this Pulman complex with a lot of out of work actors and actresses, and this actress came over who was getting ready to do a club med commercial asked me to help her for with an exercise program. Could you come to my boyfriend's house and do the workout there? Okay, you know, how much.
Speaker 2: Is it going to be? And I go for what?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just the work, you know, And I said, well, how about giving me gas money for my nineteen seventy seven white Camaro with Jake seventy seven on the license plate. Kept a very low profile, hour always kept a very low profile. And I came up with a thirty minute workout. So this was about nineteen eighty. Jane Fonda had just come on the scene with the high impact aerobics. Women at the time were very intimidated by using weights, so I improvised with a broomstick, a towel, resistance training with a towel, right, and you know, a chair for push ups and dips, and two cans of Moms Tomato based yep, you know. And and I made a thirty minute workout out of it. I love training, but I never hung around a gym, you know. I got in the gym train and left. And I thought that this person was an A type personality. Look, exercise is boring. I wanted to make it fun. And she said, you know, come to my boyfriend's house and Beverly Hills. And if you weren't on the cover a muscle, heead digest. I didn't know who you were. I knock on the door. Guy answers the door. Arrow turns out to be Francis Ford Coppola. No, I just looked at the guy. I just looked at the guy, and I thought this guy could use a workout to That's it, you know, all right. And they were great. They started going to parties. People started saying, you look great. What are you doing? This guy, Jake, he comes to the house. He's got a broomstick, a towel and a chair. You know, he's funny. He eats too much because I had no money and they had a great fridge. So at the end of the workout, I'd say, you mind, you got any chicken or anything like that.
Speaker 2: That I could just grab a where I leave you, you know.
Speaker 3: And it was interesting because back in the day, you know, obviously, you know, there's no cell phones, there's no internet, there is no computers really right to speak of. And when you moved from city to city or state to state, you had to list your phone number. And when I got to La I never listed my phone number.
Speaker 2: Oh boy.
Speaker 3: And when in Hollywood, if you're good and people want to get a hold of you and they can't, they seem to want you more. And it became this mystique of who is this guy? Yep, you got to get them. And in my little apartment in Studio City, California, I'm getting phone calls from Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford, Priscilla Presley, that middle of Baron Baty, Barbara Strei's in, you know, the biggest dollars in the world. And here's what happened. Not only am I going to their homes and traveling with them, and I'm nineteen years old, I learned the greatest lesson of my life. They're no different than us.
Speaker 1: See, thank you for seeing that thing. Thank you for saying that you're so right about that right.
Speaker 3: The only difference is they had a dream and they never quit a dream, and they never took no for an answer. And I was with them, and I'm telling you this firsthand. You want to talk about the most regular people in the world, who have the same amount of challenges we all do, sometimes even more low confidence no self esteem. I know it's hard to fathom, but you be very intrigued and interested. And what it did to me and for me it was like, wait a second, I might never direct Et two, but I'm going to have my own success in life.
Speaker 2: And I was able to parlay that.
Speaker 3: Famous by association as being the first guy to do personal fitness training and made it an occupation into videos and books and television shows. And Ted Turner, the late great Ted Turner, who was my mentor, really who put me on television the first time. I remember it, not back in the day. In nineteen eighty one, I did the fitness break on Cable News network. Man, it was me and two models on a beach in Malibu and the fitness break when something like this arrow, Hey gang, I'm Jacobody by Jake, and here's your fitness tip of the day today. I'm here with Jill and Brenda and we're going to do the old but TCMO Squad and it's going to be a fun one. We're going to go for ten repetitions. Let's jump in. It's going to be a beautiful day. It's sunny and cool and breezy. Eight nine, ten, stick to the fight when your hardest hit. It's when things seem worse that you must not quit. I don't quit my day see tomorrow, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And we did.
Speaker 3: We literally did eight hundred of those man and they ran from eighty one to eighty three, four times a day in the States and ten to twelve times an hour around the world. Ted used it as filler and that's really what put me on the map and parlayed that into a Body by Jake syndicated TV show than on ESPN for many years. And had a dream to create a television network for fitness, which I did in ninety three, once again with Ted's of Headline News Right, and I took the headline News concept and launched FITTV in nineteen ninety three and sold it to Rupert Murnock in ninety eight, and then talk about full Circle right a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, we lost our home in the Pacific Palisades fires and pretty devastating. Thankfully, everybody was fine. My wife Tracy and I going on married thirty eight years. We have four great kids, our daughter Morgan who lives in London, Nick and Zach who now live in New York. Here and our youngest guy, Luky is with us in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And after we lost the fire was pretty damn devastating. I don't need to tell you arrow. And it took me a little bit of time to kind of, you know, sort of get out of you know, a fog. And it was about getting back into routine. That's it, getting back to the repetition. Man, you know I needed. The first thing for me was to get back to the gym. And once I got back into the gym, which all, that's what I'm about. That's my drug, right' that's my medicine is because I combine my cardio my muscular together, and every rep that I do, I visualize what I need to accomplish during the day. It's a forty two minute workout, not forty one, not forty three, forty two.
Speaker 2: I've been doing it since.
Speaker 3: I'm thirteen, so you know, I'm a psycho with that kind of stuff. But we mean, you know, you immediately start coming back or I mean, you have two choices. In a situation like that, or in any devastating situation, you could roll up in a ball and die.
Speaker 2: Oh you persevere, that's it.
Speaker 3: Inside. We persevere like my mom is don't quit. We don't quit. And as a family, we all bonded together and band together where where rebuilding the house. We laid the foundation last week, which is amazing. As I said, it's just a great feeling. And I'm in the car all day long and I'm thinking about, you know, I just want to find something that that is kind of quiet. You know, I love late seventies, eighties and nineties music, right, and I wanted to find that I don't have to think about keep pressing buttons and all this stuff and maybe listen to something, you know, within the music that was positive and and there's nothing it was nothing like it, right, There's nothing like it anywhere, right, And I said, Okay, this is what I'm going to do. I'm going to launch Body by Jake Radio. But how am I going to do it? And then I just it hit me. And I mean every time I say it, I get the chills, and I get the chills again. I said the headline news wheel, like I did Fit TV, I'm gonna do Body by Jake Radio exactly like I did FIFTYV nice And it's based on that one hour wheel where the top of the hour, right we have our mindset minute, and then all these little nuggets around that, right, longevity tip, mental health tip, yes, a nutrition and then remember member Casey Casem used to do and and this song goes out to Brenda from right.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so we all grew up with that.
Speaker 3: I used to love that, and I took a spin on that, and I posted something on our Instagram a few months ago, you know, knowing that we're building Body by Jake Radio to launch during Mental Health Month and which now we're three days old, and I asked people, if you're going through something that you know, some adversity that that that you're winning, you know, please tell me the story and maybe I'll push you on my new radio platform, Body by Jake Radio. So we were inundated, Arrow. We were inundated with all these stories. You know what it is. We're all so desperate for hope. We're living in this crazy thank you right and and and everybody thinks that they're going through a crummy time all by themselves and it's not the case. And I don't want you to feel that way because maybe there's this black cloud over your head. Well, you're in the deepest, darkest ditch you've ever been in and you don't feel like there's a way to get out, And change is rough and changes tough.
Speaker 2: Butt.
Speaker 3: When you have the right motivation and the right inspiration and the right tools, change happens, man, Change happens. And that's why I created this platform. Body by Jake Radio Man, and our tagline is a really fun and simple one. It's where it's seventy two and sunny every day. How about that?
Speaker 1: Please do not move. There's more with Jake Steinfeld Body by Jake coming up next. The dude's got his own radio channel, Body by Jake Radio. We're checking back in with Body by Jake. Your perseverance was ringing all the way through Ted. And the reason why I bring that up is because the final scene of Ted being on CBS Sunday Morning this past week was Ham working out. And now that I've heard that story from you, I'm going, of course he was, because Jake is still with him that he took that working out stuff really seriously.
Speaker 3: Dude, he was the great. Let me tell you something. You know, I knew him in the beginning, man, Yeah, I mean I didn't know him as a young man. I knew him I mean I was literally I was eighteen years old. I was I was eighteen and he was so great to me and so nice to me. You know that I hosted I haven't told this story a long time. I hosted the first Cable ACE Awards before the Emmys. Right, the cable industry had something called the ACE Awards, and we hosted it at Oh my god, it was downtown LA. It was me and doctor Ruth. Oh my god, remember doctor Ruth. Doctor Ruth and I hosted when she stood on a she stood on an applebox, right, And we hosted the cable and the show that won the most awards was a show called Not Necessarily the News. If you remember that, Joe and I can't believe I've been brought this up, but you know, Ted was he was something, and he lived in an incredible life and he was such a philanthropic guy. And you know, I don't even know if he even knows what an inspiration he was to me, but Joe was. And and here it is again, another living, breathing platform, you know, of something that Look, I've always loved making people laugh, making people happy, making people smile, giving people the opportunity to have hope that through fitness, right through exercise, you weren't able to do a rep or a push up or a setup. And now you're doing ten or twelve or twenty. And now I say to you, okay, Arrow, now that you're doing twenty five sit ups and twenty five push ups, what else do you want to accomplish in your life? Come on, man, what else do you want to accomplish in your life?
Speaker 2: Go there?
Speaker 3: And the thing about this is, and I know everybody reads all these different kinds of things. If you're not failing, man, you're not trying hard enough, right And for me as an entrepreneur, you know, I have always loved you know, being the lone wolf. You know, you eat what you kill out there as an entrepreneur, and you win you lose on your terms. And that's the way I've always loved it. And to create something when it works, it's super exciting. And this just feels Body by Jake Radio feels just so right for this time, at this moment in the world, that we have something special and to be a part of the iHeart family. I know as you are, Mana, and knowing that I know all your listeners have the iHeart radio app because it's free. You know, all you got to do is search body by Jake Radio and do a little pre set on it and you're all set to rock and roll.
Speaker 1: Well see, and you've always been a master at being very portable, because I mean, I'm always on the road. I need that workout. People are on the move, they need that workout. They need they don't need to run to the gym and put on their very extremely tight clothes and then and then try to look hip and happy. But the thing is is that with you, you know where we are in our real life, and if you feel like doing it in some baggy drawers, then do it.
Speaker 2: That's it. And I mean, and that's really the name of the game. Man.
Speaker 3: You know, you don't have to worry about you know, matching your head man with the old socks. You know, just just get up and move your body, get up and move your body, or just and even in the simplest terms, just that one step forward.
Speaker 2: That's it, that one step far.
Speaker 3: Because you know, there are so many people who are and and you know who are By the way, a lot of people now are on these GLP ones, which is a great thing. I say, you know, you know, I used to do all my shows saying there's no such thing as a magic pill.
Speaker 2: Yep, And now today there is a magic pill.
Speaker 3: And I think, like anything else, when you do it properly, you know, people who hadn't had a chance to really begin to believe in themselves that they could exercise or get their bod He's moving again. This is a great opportunity for you, and this is where you want to get started. But it really begins in your head.
Speaker 2: Yes it does, right Arrow.
Speaker 3: I mean, at the end of the day, you've got to believe in you, you know, and I say this a lot the world. Let you be what you make them believe you are. If you tell people right, I'm a winner, I'm going to succeed. I feel good about myself right. Well, when you feel good about you, other people feel good about you too.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 3: And that's what this is about. And that's what Body by Jake Radio is really all about. It. It's giving you that I want to be one on one where I'm there. I'm your pal, I'm your buddy, I'm your coach.
Speaker 2: I got the music for you.
Speaker 3: But we also have the tips and the wellness tips and the longevity tips that go along with it. Twenty four hours, seven days a week.
Speaker 1: I love it, dude. Twenty minutes with you is not enough. I can't wait until you come back to this show again because I just love where you are and you totally believe in the entire mind, body, and spirit walk, and without you, I don't know where we would be because and I'm glad you've reopened this door because we need it. We need it badly.
Speaker 3: Sir, well, Iro, thank you for the kind words. Man, you keep doing what you're doing. And once again, just everybody who's listening. If you don't have the iHeart Radio app, which I'm sure you do, it's free, just download that and search body by Jake Radio and preset it and hopeful days and big smiles are ahead. I love it.
Speaker 2: Don't quit.
Speaker 1: You'd be brilliant today, Okay, sir.
Speaker 2: All right, brother, don't quit.
Speaker 3: I row