Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Best Mornings with Me Jeff Grab your host from giant bomb dot com. It's gonna be a good one. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about everyone's still playing the same games that they were playing last year, and how many characters are going to be in the next big Nintendo release. It's gonna be a good one. Like I said, because we have Jason Bonelli on the show. Jason, how are you doing? I am fantastic. The year is gotten off to a fest start here in house Finelle and the surrounding families. My cousin had a baby on Monday night. WHOA want to shout them out for multiple reasons. Obviously, bringing their second child into the world's a great thing. But also my cousin has this uncanny ability to not have to wait very long in the hospital, Like, got there at six thirty pm, the child was out at seven to twenty.
Speaker 2: That's incredible her. Yeah, and her first.
Speaker 3: Child was even faster than that son.
Speaker 1: They were on the they were on the Games Done Quick stream birth Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Birth done quick. But no, the mom and mom and child are great. They should be coming home today. Actually, I think so. That's that's pretty cool. Uh. Bought a new car last night. Yeah, we were. We replaced the minivan with a tell your ride twenty twenty five kill you. We're a Kia family. Yeah, can you tell your right? It's like, that's that's one of the ones to get.
Speaker 2: I always we loved my eye on that. We we love it.
Speaker 3: So far, we've only droven it, driven to call, drive to the gym this morning, wife drove it to work, we drove it home obviously, But so far, so good, feels good, drives good.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then my theater show season started on Sunday with auditions. Callbacks are tonight. The callback list went out Sunday night and the name on the callback list does say Finelle, but the name on the callback list says Olivia. Oh wow, she tried out for the first time, and tonight she's got a callback and I am very excited to take her. I did not get a call back, but I didn't expect one. My theater group tends to mix it up when it comes to Leeds R. Scarecrow was huge, So if I get a little bit pard, of course, I'm fine with that. Plus Charlotte the younger is joining for the first time, so I'll have to corral her as well. But yeah, fast start of the year, how about you.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, a fast start was a fast, hectic into the year, I keep saying on the show. Uh so we did start taking it easy around New Year's time. It's it's picking back up now though. You know STEP's going to be traveling here soon and that's gonna be a lot because it's she's going to international. So it's like, Okay, we've got to make sure all the things are button down here, make sure I'm ready for everything on my own. But you know, that's it's always great when you get to do cool stuff like that. And then God, I think I need to buy my I think I'm going to GDC. I think I'm going to GDC, jan I might I might need a place to stay. I'm going to GDC. Uh So I need to like figure out that, you know, hotels and flights and all that stuff here pretty much.
Speaker 2: So you think you're going to GDC. Aren't you scheduled to speak? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think I'm scheduled to speak, which is why I think I probably should be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm doing a panel.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we'll talk about independent games media. So yeah, gott get that. I'll figure it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, real quick. Just as the question was in chat, the show is not cats, it is the Little Mermaid.
Speaker 1: Okay, so well darn well no, a little less interested, but fair enough.
Speaker 2: No rum tug tugger I can overhit skimbal shanks out there. All right.
Speaker 1: Before we get into things, let's explain ourselves.
Speaker 2: We're Giant Bomb.
Speaker 1: Go to giant bomb dot com, slash join, become a premium member. That's how you support independent games media in twenty twenty six. There's no one out there that's gonna come save us. It's us taking care of each other, and we appreciate everyone who has been taking care of us to ensure we can continue doing the cool stuff that everyone expects of us. It's been fantastic to see and you know, if you can't support us financially, just telling a friend and showing up that's been huge as well. We love just seeing the audience grow, which has consistently been doing, especially since.
Speaker 2: We went independent. So thank you everybody. Once again. That's giant bomb dot com, slash Join, Come a premium member.
Speaker 1: You're gonna start getting a bunch of more goodies because it's twenty twenty six and we got a lot of stuff we have to deliver, and quite a few of those things will be premium only, at least for at least many of those at least for a time. I'd started doing grub Snacks again, new version of grub Snacks that's gonna be really starting in earnest next week. But there's a thread on the premium only forum right now where you.
Speaker 2: Could drop questions. So you want me to discuss on there.
Speaker 1: Become a part of it and hang out with us and really enjoy all the good stuff going forward. All right, as far as this show goes, most weekdays, I Jeff Grubb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on Twitch Welcome, You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game Mes Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters in timestamps on YouTube Hello YouTube All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with PlayStation's most played games of twenty twenty five are identical to twenty twenty four's list.
Speaker 2: This is from Jordan Midler at VGC.
Speaker 1: PlayStation's list of most played games in the US in twenty twenty five is the same as the twenty twenty four list, with Fortnite taking this top spot once again. The ranking, which comes from Circana's player engagement tracker Viaircana Circana Circana Price Ircana Senior director Matt Piscatella, shows that in both twenty twenty five and twenty twenty four and the United States, the most popular games remained identical.
Speaker 2: Fortnite was the top of the charts, with Call of Duty.
Speaker 1: This seems to count all Call of Duty titles due to the fact that it's like Call of Duty HQ that was number two. The thirteen year old Grand Theft Auto took the next spot, with Roadblocks in Minecraft next there at four and five, respectively. Over on Xbox, the same titles made up the top five, but in slightly different order, with Minecraft and Roadblocks swapping places. Jason I remember back in like twenty sixteen twenty seventeen, I was working at games Beat and I'd cover a slightly broader set of games, a lot of mobile stuff. Was something like kind of I had my eye on and I remember like kind of being like, I don't know why we're doing this. It's the same games are number numbers one through ten now as they were in twenty twelve. This is a stagnant industry. Nothing cool is happening over on mobile gaming because it's the same games making all the money as always. Thank god, It's not that way everywhere else. It's that way everywhere everywhere else. Nor yep, I know, I've the Monkey Paul curled in my hands.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I didn't put it down before I said anything.
Speaker 1: It's look, these games are making a lot of money. This is where people want to spend their time. They want a hobby that is like, you know, that's like bowling. I'm gonna go bowling. I'm gonna go play Fortnite. It's a place to go hang out with your friends. It's familiar. The effort you put into it is something that like you can get more out of it over time because you have all these skins and all these fun things you've collected and you don't have to start from scratch each time.
Speaker 2: People like that sort of thing. I get it, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: This doesn't feel like a good sign overall for where this industry is headed.
Speaker 3: Right, I agree one hundred percent. Now, yeah, there is an argument to be made that you look at the games that came out last year and what when you look at that list, what could have really challenged Like think about the best games of last year. Hollow Night was not going to unseat any of these. Claire Obscure, even with its ground swell of support and all those people surprised that it was so good and the awards were never going to unseat these. The only way you're gonna unseat this is to become a massively huge live service sort of game, and Arc Raiders might have been the only one that would actually challenge that. Otherwise, I am not surprised by this at all.
Speaker 1: It shows it goes to show like Battlefield six is not in there, and that was a huge release, so it's like, oh, it even takes like some of these games years to build up the amount of like a player base to get into this top five like that that is how how massive, how big these black Hole games really are, which is something Matt calls them all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't think that the disappointing performance of Black Ops seven happened early enough in the year for this list to be affected.
Speaker 2: Granted, the fact that.
Speaker 3: Call of Duty is corralling all of their franchises into one is sort of cheating. Yeah right, but no, I'm not. I this makes perfect sense to me. Fortnite continues to be an absolute juggernaut, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. They just announced that we're going down the South Park in two days.
Speaker 2: Whatever. That looks like.
Speaker 3: It's I hate the fact. I mean, there's a certain R word that's looking at me and I don't want to say it because I have a reputation of getting very upset when I see it. The fact that it's anywhere on this list just pisses me off. Well, that word pisses me off too, But one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one's not staring in the face right now. No, it's not. No, it is not.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I know it, despite my you know, anger from inside out reactions to it every time I see it, it is popular.
Speaker 2: I can't deny that uh. I mean it's a thing.
Speaker 1: Like my girls have started coming home asking about it now, so it's like they weren't not doing that before.
Speaker 3: Might have been doing that for a little while. And I'm just like, no, sorry, just complete straight up.
Speaker 2: I should just let you should come over and have a talk with them. Yeah, last night it was like, can we can we at least do Rainbow Friends. I'm like no, for two reasons. One it's on the Roebucks platform.
Speaker 3: And two do you even got Do you guys even know it's a horror game you'll have nightmare.
Speaker 2: And yeah it is. Yeah they don't, Yeah, they don't know.
Speaker 3: We had that conversation while I was put teching her in at night, so I'm glad you didn't sleep. That's probably bad timing. But no, no, but but this back to this list aside, I'm not I'm not shocked at all. Again, I went back and looked at what the most popular games that came out last year, and with the exception of Battlefield and arc Greaders that we mentioned, nothing even had a shot. Now, if Grand Theft Auto six comes out next year, technically they may be the same games, but I think they'll just say six instead of five right, and it'll be right.
Speaker 1: It probably depends on how they package GT online, GTA online two whatever.
Speaker 2: That looks like.
Speaker 1: We still have not heard a single thing about right follow up to online, if it's a big update, if it's a separate thing. Honestly, it's probably one of the reasons they've taken so long is figuring out what that is going to even be. I'm sure they know by now, but it's like, still, they gotta make that work. So it's like, yeah, that's a separate client or whatever. It'll be a separate entry either way, though it's right same, it's the same thing. Yeah. So I think this explains like a lot of like when we see these big companies behaving in a way that's hard for us to understand. Or it's like, hey, don't they like money, Why don't they just make X? And it's like, well, they are saving a lot of money by just taking X and putting it into Fortnite, Or they are very curious about building their own big live service thing where they can just update stuff inside it there and that could be the focus. And it's like, obviously we are at a point where that's over too, because if same five games we've just talked about these new ones that kind of seem to shake the world. I mean, you know, go back to Hell Divers too, that was a massive.
Speaker 2: Massive game.
Speaker 1: It's not on this list anymore, right, Yeah, So, I mean we're talking about games that, even when they do seem like they're going to be the next big thing, the next Fortnite, the next whatever, they don't.
Speaker 2: Those don't even have the legs.
Speaker 1: So it's like, where are these companies at with trying to like navigate this this space that where they see all this money coming in it's going into a certain kind of game.
Speaker 2: They want one of those games.
Speaker 1: But everyone that's tried has, even when they've succeeded it making a successful game, has not succeeded at cracking this top five.
Speaker 2: So where do they go?
Speaker 3: And you mentioned Hell Divers sue that came out in twenty twenty four and it wasn't on this list because the list is identical to last year, and that game came out in February and it was massive and it did not crack this top five. If you are a developer, especially a smaller one, and unless you have an absolutely cracking idea for a live service team that nobody's ever done before. Whether it's you know, QUTC or hardcore or whatever it is, do not. It's it's the game's over the ship of sale. You're better off building your idea in Fortnite.
Speaker 1: The best time to start making a like kind of smaller live service game that can grow into something big over time was twelve years ago and it was called Warframe. And it's like, you're not Warframe, Like you're not gonna be the next Warframe. They've learned so many hard lessons over the years and like refined that game into something specific for an audience that is a bit like more than big enough for them. They grow almost every time they put out new content, they reach higher numbers, and it's like, oh, that that's what can work. But you had to start a long time ago and sort of build that foundation, and no one else is going to be able to like give themselves a twelve year runway.
Speaker 3: And it's not even guaranteed that Warframe is going to make the next Warframe. With Soul Frame, they're trying. Yea, if you've dabbled in that at all, and it's pretty cool, but Warframe is gonna cat are they going to be able to do two. That would be amazing, but it remains to be seen. Even the companies that know what they're doing don't aren't guaranteed to have the kind of hits that would crack this list, and that to me is fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This all this says to me is while it looks like the industry is stagnant, like you said at the beginning here, nothing that came out this year was going to challenge them. It's not quite as dire as it seems, but it should be a red flag to anyone who's trying to challenge these that maybe you should shift your focus.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep going here.
Speaker 1: Fallout four doubles concurrent players on Steam following Fallout season two premiere. This is from Sophie McAvoy at Games Industry dop is, and it went from like twenty thousand to forty thousand since the show return on December sixteenth to twenty twenty five. Same thing happened with season one, and it was like the same game getting the benefit mostly Fallout four, primarily Fallout seventy six got a lot of love as well. You know, I think when we were coming out of that season. The conversation Jason was, what are they going to have new to sort of kind of take advantage of this going forward? Still nothing new, and they're still able to kind of take advantage of it. Where people show up for these games, they own it already or they go out and buy it because they're excited about the show. Is it necessary to have something new? People seem to be happy to go back to a game from god Win, a Fallout four come Out twenty fifteen, twenty fifteen, is that it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, that's a ten year old game.
Speaker 1: Now it's eleven year old game going on eleven years old, So it doesn't seem to have heard it all that much. The synergy matters, but it seems like they're capturing it. Whether they have put in the effort to make something new or not. What do you think happens here?
Speaker 3: I think eventually it would be silly to say they're never going to make a new fall Out ever again. Eventually we're going to get one. But where we all thought they might be planning for Fallout season one or season two, maybe they're planning for three or four. Like somewhere down the pike and seventy six continues to update despite its rocky start. It's right there with a very dedicated legion of players, a massive fan base that still go in there every single time, still relevant enough to be activated at things like Summer Games Fest. You remember they had that like fishing in the Pool for whatever that was Fallout seventy six. I do think eventually we'll get that remake that we've been waiting for remastered, similarly to how Oblivion got the remaster treatment this year last year, you'll probably get something like a Fallout three remastered. Fallout four clearly doesn't need it despite being ten eleven years old. People are still playing it, so you can bring in Fallout three remastered came round around the same time on the same consoles as Oblivion. You can see the parallels there. I would have thought it was out, it would have been out already, as you mentioned, but maybe they're waiting for, like I said, like a season three or the end of this season they'll do that shadow drop. When is that Developer Partner preview thing, Developer direct It.
Speaker 2: Is in a week and a half, right, yeah, soon, yes, soon?
Speaker 3: Who's to say they don't And where does that line up with the end of the Fallout season. If there's synergy there, maybe we get it there, you know what I'm saying. So there's still some possibility that they could line up with this season, or they wait for another year or whatever the next season is. They announce the remake and the third season at the same time. I imagine they are not as ignorant to the synergy as it seems.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not.
Speaker 3: Their plan is definitely more out of the box than what we would normally expect. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that it's like, you know, you are playing the cards you have in your hand, if you're one of these companies, and everyone looks around and says, oh my god, we need more from Fallout because it's never been hotter, it's never been more culturally relevant, like we have to do something here, And then the people on the other side of that conversation go, look, we get it. We're making these games, and we get it. We also wish we could like just drop something new, sure, but that's not the reality of anything involving game development, especially in this moment. We've already already committed to some other stuff over here to so what can we do? And I think everyone looks around and say, okay, let's take care of Fallout for let's make sure that that's as in as good as shape as possible. They've updated fall Out seventy six a ton of times. That's still an active game, and they sort of just have to rely on that, and it's it's working and people like, you know, I don't hear a lot of people who are doing this complaining about Fallout four. Most of them seem pretty happy with it, So yeah, you know, and it doesn't hurt that if you get super into it, you can find thousands of mods to turn that game into all kinds of different stuff, and that can feel fresh in a lot of ways as well, although I'm skeptical that a lot of people come from.
Speaker 2: The TV show are doing exactly.
Speaker 1: That regardless, right, it's there, So yeah, I think you play the cards that you have in your hand. That's that's all you can do, and that's what this looks like, and then you try to stack the deck going forward to be like, let's see if we can try to move fall Out up so that when season three or four is here, because we expect this show to at least go that long, maybe we can have something by then.
Speaker 2: All though, even that it feels like a long shot at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if there's one company that should at least be cognizant of the perils of releasing a game too fast and loaded with glitches, that would be Bethesda, right, So it it It does make sense that they would be more careful with any potential timing releases because licensed games, as far back as when we were kids, were always had that stigma about them that they were terrible because they the development times had to match up with the release of whatever they were licensed with. So it's different. But as you said, nobody's complaining. Everyone seems to like all the Fallout content that they're getting. They even added the gohoule in seventy six. I believe recently there's synergy there. If it's working, why change it, right, I mean, they obviously probably have some sort of long term plan, but for now it seems to be they're doing what they're doing all right.
Speaker 1: Next story, Ubisoft shuttering freshly unionized Halifax studios. Seventy one jobs have been affected. This is from John Hicks at Games Industry dot Biz. Ubisoft has announced the closure of Ubisoft Halifax. The Canadian studio, which was working on mobile titles for Rainbow six and Assassin's Creed, affecting seventy one staff members. Staff at the studio announced only this week that they had formed Ubisoft's first labor union in North America, completing a process that had started in June twenty twenty five. Ubisoft said the closure was due to an ongoing streamlining and cost reduction process following significant layoffs across.
Speaker 2: Its studio in the last two years.
Speaker 1: Over the past twenty four months, Ubisoft has undertaken company wide actions to streamline operations, improve efficiency, and reduced costs, the company said in a statement. As part of this, Ubisoft has made the difficult decision to close its Halifax studio. Seventy one positions will be affected. We are committed to supporting all impacted team members during this transition with resources including comprehensives set, comprehensive severance packages, and additional career assistance. A spokesperson's stress the Game Industry that the closure was the result of ongoing cost cutting that started shortly after the pandemic. I'm trying to see here if Games Industry ever got to comment from the nascent union.
Speaker 2: I don't see that.
Speaker 1: Try to get comments from the unions when you can. Guys, I didn't have a chance to reach out myself. Wish I could have.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, it's I it does.
Speaker 1: It is so close that it's hard not to like just draw like, hey, this happened, Therefore that happened. Corporations don't usually work that fast unless they're vindictive, which you'bi stuff could be. I suppose they could be, so I don't want to put it past them. But it's like, my experience with corporations is what why chalk up anything to malevolence that you can't just chalk up to in competence.
Speaker 2: This looks terrible.
Speaker 1: You would do this if you're incompetent instead of just maybe finding a way to soften it and actually or to do it to or to speed it up so it happens before, Like if you know a union's happening, do it before that happens. If you're this company and you're especially evil, I think this is just like you be soft was not there? These are games that they were not like talking about in any way. These Mobile Rainbow six spent offs. Uh, they seem like they are focused on just their bigger stuff and hue stuff we knew was already a mess and already incompetent and already evil in a lot of like very dull ways. But yeah, regardless, it's an absolute shame that a bunch of people worked really hard on a bunch of stuff, and they banded together to go to use their strength within a corporation to have a voice, and.
Speaker 2: You be soft. It's just like, well, we don't need you anymore.
Speaker 1: God, my feelings towards you be softer, as low as they've ever been, and they've been pretty low in the past.
Speaker 3: Jason, Yeah, I'm not not really buying this whole. I mean, yeah, because because the union may have started in June, but if you think the rumblings of trying to organize just started in June, I have a bridge to sell you. I'm assuming that I'm guessing that you be soft. You know, they went to Halifax, they climbed a tower that they looked out over the horizon. The fog cleared, and they went, oh, we have a studio here about that, let's maybe start the process. And then when the union thing happened, the process accelerated. That would be my yeah thought, like they were probably him and Holland because their mobile stuff. As you said, Rainbow six Mobile. I didn't even realize it launched last year. I first heard about that in like twenty twenty nine. Yeah, twenty twenty two. So I I don't buy that the union had nothing to do with it.
Speaker 2: Was it the only reason?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 3: Was the process accelerated because of the unionization rumors or rumblings that I think I would buy more.
Speaker 2: It certainly didn't help right.
Speaker 1: It would not have helped their standing inside of Ubisoft, because Ubisoft does not seem like they have the capacity to have these conversations when they're just freaking about freaking out about making their company financially feasible.
Speaker 2: Sure uh mu.
Speaker 3: Cal McGee in the Twitch chat has a quote from IGN. IGN reached out to U Soft workers of Canada, Halifax and CWA for comment and receive the following. We are devastated that this is happening, especially so soon after we unionized. We're looking into all avenues to fight for the rights of our members. Hats off to you, mukel.
Speaker 1: No, thanks Mukau for grabbing that. I appreciate that. Shout out to IGN for reaching out to the.
Speaker 2: It's about the that's about the uh A statement I would expect. Yeah, what else can I say? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What else can they say? So it sucks. It's yet another one of these stories. I feel like once a month we're talking about something like this this point, maybe even at a faster rate. Remember when it was survive until twenty five. Now we're in twenty six. What's what are we are? We?
Speaker 2: Uh? Well, yeah, praying exactly seven seven? What's the new rhyme? Right right right where?
Speaker 1: We're still just surviving clearly, because it's like, I mean, what this to me is.
Speaker 2: These companies are still in cutting mode.
Speaker 1: They are not believing that they can find a way forward with a lot of the resources that they've already built up and a lot of the people that they've already hired. They're like, we're not going to like make games to solve our problems. We don't believe that. And so, you know, especially if you come at them with a union at that point, they're like, well, we already don't want to make games to make more money, and and you like having this conversation with you about building a contract together, it's only a distraction for us and We're a corporation and any distraction is a distraction from distraction from potential profits.
Speaker 2: So it's like UBI stopped.
Speaker 1: Already in a bad way and they're they're not going to see game like making new games as the answer.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, I'm not surprised that we've ended up.
Speaker 1: Here, and I just I just don't believe that the current leadership at this company and the way that they've built, the sort of spin off with the three big brands that went over and as working with there not is that ten cent that they are working with?
Speaker 2: Yeah it's ten cents right, Yeah?
Speaker 1: Uh Like that doesn't feel like it's going to result in anything other than getting the same far Cry and uh and Rainbow six games.
Speaker 2: That we've been getting before.
Speaker 1: And so look these small, smaller studios off to the side, or like a red Linx or something that made the Trials games. What is their future at ub Soft? I think I think they're right now. The best thing you can probably say is UBI soft is.
Speaker 2: Disinterested, and it's probably a lot worse than that.
Speaker 3: Well, the report continues, red Links had lorn job losses last year as the message Yep, So yeah, I mean they're they're I think they're just slowly whittling down the entire company until it's maybe one or two studios per those big tent pole franchises and that's all.
Speaker 2: Ubi Soft is going to be a franchise machine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like we do know, Ubisoft's financials are like atrocious, Like in terms of revenue per employee. There was a kind of a chart last year. I think maybe it was maybe is a year and a half ago, but it's like, you know, uh, one of these bigger companies they're making two hundred thousand, two hundred and fifty thousand dollars per employee. Nintendo's way up there, They're making a ton per employee. Ubi stuft was under one hundred k per employee and it was way lower than anyone else since because they just have so they have it's a huge, massive operation.
Speaker 2: They have people all over the world.
Speaker 1: We always see like the fifteen studios that work in all these games, and all those studios have a ton of people. And it was a big impressive operation at one point and was working really well for them. And then as things stagnated and people got you know, missed out and didn't care about a couple of Assassin's Creeds. Suddenly the money they're making per game dropped and they put them in a really bad position. So they have to do something. They have to change something. It's just, of course, that something does not ever involve getting rid of the Gimo family who put them in this position in the first place. Instead, it's all these other people who always pay like always. Oh my god, All right, let's take a break.
Speaker 2: We'll come back.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about Mario Tennis fever, which is like Ima sneaking that's coming up on us real fast.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: There's some details about that and plenty more. We'll get to it after these breadth the messages. If you want to skip out on these, we have ad free versions of the video and audio show. You can get that by going to GiantBomb dot com slash join.
Speaker 2: We will be right back.
Speaker 4: Hi, dog, it's time to start the show. Are you ready to go?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, dude, I'm ready.
Speaker 4: No, grum, you look like you are in a den of iniquity right now.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that means, and I don't know what you want. It's not like I have a home studio. Jan Yes, you do.
Speaker 4: The computers that main Gear built for us have Nvidia g Force RTX Chippoo's in them and with the Nvidia Studio drivers, and in Video Broadcast, you can turn even your man cave into a professional studio. Using Broadcasts, you can upgrade your webcams, microphones, speakers using the power of machine learning to take our shows, voice chats, and video conferences to the next level. You can use audio effects like noise removal.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Guess I have a fan on. Well, it's hot, I'm not gonna turn that off. Let me just hit this right here? Is that any better?
Speaker 2: Jan?
Speaker 4: Much better? We can clean up your shot with auto frame and video noise removal and grub. You can even make it look like you were paying attention using the eye contact tool.
Speaker 2: So I could still watch my stories.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes you can. Nvidia Broadcasts is a universal plugin that works with most live streaming, voice chat, and video conferencing apps. It's supported on any n Video g Force ArtX GPU, And since I'm using the Nvidia Studio drivers, I'll get stable, optimized performance in Adobe Photoshop, DA Vinci Resolve in all the other apps that I need to use to fix our mistakes in post.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: Thank you to ban gear and in Nvidia for supplying are in video studio PCs, in video broadcast your AI powered home studio, and in video studio. The software advantage for all creators. Jan I'm not even looking at the camera.
Speaker 4: At all right now, Grub stop stop looking at me.
Speaker 2: I haven't looked at you forever. We are back.
Speaker 1: It's Game Mess Mornings. I'm Jeff Grubb. That's Jason Finelli.
Speaker 2: We talked.
Speaker 1: We were talking about the same names earlier. I'm sure I said it before. My brother's name is Jason, and soone in a chat's like my brother or my sister married a guy with the same name as me.
Speaker 2: I did that.
Speaker 1: My have a sister named Stephanie. So it kept all confusing. There's only so many names. That's the big problem.
Speaker 3: Listen, working these families out, you know sometimes like me, you you're not born with an older brother, but that at seventeen one just pops out of nowhere. Ye, So yeah, you know every day it happens. And I yeah, it's it's families are weird. That's all there is to it. Families and names are weird. We should all go the same name. And I do.
Speaker 1: You have like any like when I was a kid, there was like five Lisa's in my class, and apparently no one's been named Lisa in thirty years or something like that.
Speaker 3: Oh what was it? There was a name? So yeah, there was. In my grade school. There were two Matthews, two desires There was another name that was really really really really ubiquitous, and now I can't remember what it was because it's now gone. But yeah, but Matthew and Desiree are the two Desiree. In particular, the fact there was two of them, it was very weird but nice people, don't get me wrong, but it just hadn't heard that name before then, and I think I've heard it maybe once since Matthew has always been ubiquitous.
Speaker 2: That's never going anywhere.
Speaker 1: But because I mean any like Bible book name right, is probably not going to go anywhere for the most part, at least the ones that have been common, those.
Speaker 2: Like matt and all those will continue to become.
Speaker 3: But someone that brings up in chat, the names that will never be called anymore. I think Karen may be dead. Yeah, Karen name.
Speaker 1: Like the reason though, like Lisa just like was just like, no, we're not naming kids Lisa anymore.
Speaker 2: That's not a Lisa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's a weird sentence for me to say, because Karen is my mother, so I shouldn't say Karen maybe dead.
Speaker 1: Ever, I mean, my mom is Bev Beverly, and then my grandma's name is Grace, and that's like, I think Grace is probably could have, could have a comeback, But Beverly's probably going to be on the sideline for a bit, and that'll come back one day.
Speaker 3: Prob Greece is a very popular middle name. I've heard that as a middle name many, many, many, many times. But first name, there's one, There is one. A friend of my daughter's in dance class is a Grace. So yeah, I could see that happening too.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see here, we'll keep going.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that Mario Tennis Fever, which you and me both were like, oh, yeah, that exists.
Speaker 2: It's coming out.
Speaker 1: It's going to feature thirty eight playable characters, according to Nintendo. Nintendo revealed that the next big release for Thenintendo Switch To. This is the next big release for the Switch to. Mario Tennis Fever will have the most playable characters in this series history. The game will feature thirty eight playable characters, which naturally includes Princess Peach and Princess Daisy. Pre Orders are now live for Mario Tennis Fever, which launches the twelfth of February. Talk about five ish weeks less than that, so yeah, it's gonna be our no time.
Speaker 2: And it is switched to exclusive thirty eight characters.
Speaker 1: I mean, it sounds like one of the things they're doing here could be like a Mario Kart World situation where let's just throw in a bunch of these other Mario like enemy characters.
Speaker 2: I would be fine with that.
Speaker 1: This is Hey, this is the series that previously gave us Wa Luigi.
Speaker 2: And things like that.
Speaker 1: So it's like, yeah, because they Mario needed a doubles partner and they went that way, So yeah, they could maybe have even some like new characters, some new evil versions of characters. I would love to see that. I I'm ready for this game. I hope, Jason. My hope for the Mario Sports games this generation is Nintendo kind of gets out of their own way and stops doing the trickling out of content that they did last time around for every single Mario Sports game, where it's like clearly they were finished, and they just chopped it up and just delivered a lot of stuff in the weeks and months after it came out for no good reason other than to make it feel like it's still relevant. It's like, you don't do that for any of your other games, and you never drop the price and they continue to sell. Really well, what's the difference here, why are these sports games different?
Speaker 2: Whatever?
Speaker 1: And then just recognize that while you treat all these as party games and that's fine, a lot of people want to play these games online with their friends or in online tournaments. Make the online multiplayer side of these games just as robust as they were on the three DS. You don't even have to go beyond that. Just make it so there's like like the Mario Golf three DS tournament system was perfect. Do something like that for all these games and.
Speaker 2: That'll be it. That's all you gotta do.
Speaker 1: And then, because the gameplay, even on the Switch games was immaculate, they always felt really really good. In fact, they're probably the best they've ever been. So just do that here, get the online going, have all the fun party stuff as well, and I'll be happy. I'm not expecting, you know, the Camelot RPG single player stuff anymore from these games ever again, So I'm hopeful that they can kind of like they maybe learned a lesson and we'll respond to that. If I'll tell you what, If this comes out and it feels exactly like all those switch ones, I'll be deeply disappointed.
Speaker 3: So will I because I agree with you one hundred percent. The three DS sports era was probably one of the best since you know, the we with the motion controls and everything like that. But even before then, I contend the GameCube I think is the best era for yeah, a lot of sports games probably, So yeah, I am with you on this. I am hoping, hoping, hoping that we get some fun and unique characters out of these thirty eight. Specifically, I love the idea of them going all in with more evil ones. Give me woes, Alena, give me I'm saying, she's just real sad.
Speaker 2: That's fun.
Speaker 3: Okay, well you could do woa you could do.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think if there's wee people in chat saying wat to witch wat wode Okay.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, wo But like the on the opposite route, give me like peaceful bowser.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a bowser who was just stoned out of his mind, so he's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like he's stressed, like the dude, yeah.
Speaker 3: Or like you in the back of a g d Q stream exactly. But yeah, I mean, I mean, is this where Bowsett becomes a thing? Are they finally going to do that? Remember that hole that opened up?
Speaker 2: Remember it? When do I ever not think about it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: They get M's instead and they go from bad to good. So it'd be Mauser. That's good, although we have Oh, they should put Mouser in this game. Oh my god, that's what the That's what they should be doing, is mining all like the Super Mario Brothers two enemy characters that they didn't they did, like Wart should be in there.
Speaker 2: Wart should be going even further.
Speaker 3: Give me to Tanga, but he's in the ship from Super Mario Land. He doesn't walk, He floats like modoch Give that's what I want. I want weird whimsy shit in my Mario sports games and New Baseball Where the hell is baseball?
Speaker 1: But anyway, Yeah, that's that's the most surprising one that they didn't do, especially because baseball's never it's always been really popular in Japan, never been as popular as it is now. It's it's like the sport in Japan right now, and it feels obsurd that Nintendo, who loves still making games for Japan, hasn't taken advantage of that. I'm gonna ask how many characters were in Mario Tennis for Switch, because I don't remember what that one was called.
Speaker 2: Aces there you go, it had thirty playable characters.
Speaker 1: Uh so we're getting at least eight more out of the gate here, and that had characters like uh, Pauline, comech chain shop Boom Boom and fire piranha plant. Uh so, okay, so eight more characters does feel like they could go even deeper here, but it's maybe not like it's gonna be a Smash Brother's roster where it's like, oh my god, I.
Speaker 2: Can't believe this character is in there. But still Donkey Kong is in this game, right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah, they'll they'll have.
Speaker 3: The playing I'll never lose a tennis game in my life, or like, what would evil Wallen? Is that the name evil Pauline?
Speaker 2: Yes, wall Uh huh.
Speaker 3: She looks like she looks like that one principal teacher from Matilda. She's just real, like.
Speaker 2: Jink says Wonky Kong that could be walky walk excuse me, wonky walk there.
Speaker 3: Divorced Cougar says, poppy Kong and tennis cloth and go get a shower broth bass man Balzette. We said, I love these ideas, keep them coming. Uh let's let's get let's get some other franchises in there too, other you know, Link and Animal Crossing and uh Splatoon. They all can drive go karts, why can't they? They play tennis that that they're they're so ripe thea. Then again, I guess you don't want everything to become Smash Brothers, right, That's there's like.
Speaker 2: They don't want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they kind of want like the you know what was the Mario Kart world was not Smash cart right, So that's true. There's always chances like that's the direction to go over time. But I think when they're making these Mario sports games, there's something about just keeping in the Mario universe for the most part that they seem most interested in doing.
Speaker 2: Well now here.
Speaker 1: Pretty soon it's a couple of weeks we probably start getting previews for this game.
Speaker 2: So, uh, where's the.
Speaker 3: Weird overview trailer that drops at nine o'clock on a Tuesday night.
Speaker 2: Where's that? Ye, it's probably imminent, It's probably.
Speaker 1: All right, uh, which is Hulu app will be discontinued next month. This is from Liam Doolin at Nintendo Life. It's let's see February fifth, That's right, February fifth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Support will officially end.
Speaker 1: It's I think part of this is like, isn't Hulu kind of getting phased into other stuff here? But also like it's not like they're replacing it with a Disney Plus app or something like that. These movie and TV streaming services just don't really exist on switch to at all.
Speaker 2: Right, is there even a YouTube app on there? And they never really were It's very popular, yeah, switch Yeah.
Speaker 1: But they were never really popular on Switch one overall, mostly because a lot of times they didn't exist, Nintendo wasn't interested in it. And it's like that's a little funny because like, when you think back to the early days of streaming Netflix, the like one of, if not the most popular platform to do that on was the Nintendo Wii. You get your risk, you put it in your system, and you would stream Netflix on the Wii. And I'm sure Nintendo was well aware of this and was like seeing the data, and all other companies were seeing the data at the time, like Xbox three sixty, where they're like, man, a lot of people are watching TV and movies and streaming stuff on the Xbox, we should make the Xbox one the all in one TV.
Speaker 2: Platform or whatever.
Speaker 1: And it's like Nintendo's like, well, we don't make money from it, so we're gonna go do the stuff we make money from, which is making games, and we're not even gonna really care about this stuff going forward, even though we kind of came associated with one of our platforms, and that's it feels like the difference where in a Nintendo's like, we don't care to position this as an entertainment device. This is our Nintendo gaming device, is what we've made here. And yeah, one other thing, the Hulu app. I'm pretty sure it's correct that a lot of people who used to work at Factor five made this Hulu app for the Nintendo Switch and they like use their their tech Nintendo technical knowledge to get it running in pretty well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's kind of an interesting thing there.
Speaker 1: I Like, people just have smart TVs at this point, so there's no I don't see much of a point for these apps to exist on something like a switch. Maybe the Xbox PlayStation. Those have run these apps pretty well, but switch would be superfluous.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Nintendo knows they have a console that it's targeted towards kids and families, and they also know that kids and families have iPads, smartphones, and Amazon Fire tablets, So they don't care about streaming. They don't care. They care about the games and the online stuff. That's where they That's honestly where it should be, right. Their focus should be on what they know best, in my opinion, So if they're not, if I don't have to worry about my kids using their switch for the YouTube app, I'm fine with that, because I don't know, that's a whole other can of worms. What upsets me more about this is actually not related to the Switch. It's the Hulu app is going away apparently completely right, and it's just gonna all be Disney Plus, and there has been no mention yet about how that will affect people who subscribe to Hulu Live to get their live TV. Like me, Yeah, what am I supposed to do? Am I doing Disney Plus Live? That's fine with me, I've watched the mon.
Speaker 2: Can I know? Can I know? Please?
Speaker 3: Like my wife watches Hulu in the background while she works all the time. She puts on you know, whatever TV station she wants to watch. What is she going to be able to do that? Like, it's very very rare. Do do we have to do two b now just so we can watch TV for free? Like, what's what's the deal?
Speaker 2: Can you? Can you tell us that? Please?
Speaker 3: But from a switch getting back to a non selfish switch perspective, yeah, I don't think they care, and I don't think they really have to, because it does the switch to is not made exponentially better for the streaming apps. It would be incrementally better, and I guess they don't think it's worth enough money to even try.
Speaker 2: Yep uh. Someone said, well why and head all day? Someone else where way earlier.
Speaker 3: I miss, I meant to say this to you, it says, they said, bev Grub sounds like she takes no mess, no mess mornings with Beam.
Speaker 2: That's correct, that's about right there. It is all right, let's keep going here.
Speaker 1: Dragon Quest seven Reimagined demo is now available on the e Shop. This is from my Nintendo News Square Nix has announced that the dragon Quest seven Reimagined demo is now available on the Switch and Switch to. You can download the demo from the e shop, and your save data transfers over to the full game, which launches in February. Always a welcome thing. Always gets to be more excited about these demos. I continue to think for dragon Quest seven Reimagined looks incredible. I even the guy with a big, dumb like chiseled face who looks big and dumb, I love it, Like he looks like Matt Damon from Team America, and I want to play as that character real bad. I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna go try this demo out. I think there's like I'm already starting to pile up stuff. I want to play that meo game. I'm hearing good things about that, Like I've not touched it yet, but that comes out on game Pass on like the twentieth or whatever and comes out for everybody on the twentieth. I've been talking about big hops.
Speaker 2: I want to play those games.
Speaker 1: And then there's that massive like Star Wars full conversion mod for Starfield, like apparently it's really easy to install like all the two hundred mods for that thing.
Speaker 2: Now you kind of just put press a button and it does it for you.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I should do that, but it's like, you know what, I should make time for Dragon Quest seven reimagine, just because it's like, I've had fun with Dragon Quest in the past, even as someone who's not a huge RPG guy, and this one looks like it's right up my alley.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm gonna give it a shot. How about you.
Speaker 3: I am going to endorse that decision because at New York Comic Con this year, I went hands on with Dragon Quest seven Reimagined, and yeah, it's got the juice.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: I think that that the changes that they're making from the original, if you've played the original and you're wondering, what are they going to do about these things the way that they've streamlined it for a modern audience, but it's still stupid hard, Like that demo that the boss fight in that demo was very difficult and I loved it. So I think I think this is going to be one that is going to catch a lot of people off guard just because they hear Reimagined and they think, oh, it's just a no, no, no. This is going to be the kind of remake that I don't know if it's going to be like remakes one oh one, but it's definitely going to be one that people are going to be very excited about. I think like they said that, Yeah, someone in Chatcha said it took an eighty two one hundred hours to complete the original one, but they were talking about this one like maybe fifty sixty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're they're editing it down a lot, like that's it. That's like one of the reasons to do this game this way. It's like, oh, yeah, make will probably make this game a lot better by doing that.
Speaker 2: There was also a.
Speaker 3: Really cool change to the to the job system, and I have to remind myself what exactly it's called, but basically you can have two at once and like they sort of compliment each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but.
Speaker 3: You can have like two classes at once and you can like dabble in each of them at the same time. You might not get the same buff as you would if you were just one. It's very very cool. I I think I really think people are gonna enjoy this lot. This should be one on your fantasy critic radars people. Yeah, ifs are happening. I don't know how many leagues you're in. I'm into and always looking for more.
Speaker 2: I will be into I think here. Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, so I find it fascinating, I really do. But this, this one should definitely be in your in your consideration for first couple of rounds.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying it and I'll just you know, as soon as we're done here, Jason, I'm gonna go download it so I have it there on my switch and I might even like boot it up.
Speaker 2: So like whenever I do that thing where it's like.
Speaker 1: I want to play a game, I'm gonna go play this game on my switch and then I turn my switch and the last game I was playing that I forgot because I'm stupid, Uh, pops up like oh yeah, and then I just keep playing it. I'm gonna do that to my elf with this game, and that'll make me play it more like you are likely to play it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know about you. I don't know, but this demo sounds like it's a grub snack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I can make it one of the focuses of a grub snack. Yeah, we'll see grub snacks happening next Monday. Everybody look out for that. That's for premium members. Okay, Final Fantasy Tactics the Eviliest Chronicle sells a million copies in just a few months. They posted this on the Japanese social media account for Final Fantasy Tactics with the big poster.
Speaker 2: It says one million copies sold.
Speaker 1: That's got to be pretty good for a Final Fantasy Tactics game. I wonder if it's like the fastest selling Final Fantasy Tactics game ever. Almost certainly is, because there's a lot more people playing games now than there were even back in the day, for like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, let alone the PlayStation days where it's like if you're a success if you sell five hundred thousand copies. So yeah, I think gotta be good news for fans in this series. I'm excited about what this could say to Square Emix, and I hope what it says is make a new one exactly in this style, like exactly the same in terms of presentation and the voice acting all that stuff. You could just take this with a new story and some new tactics ideas, some new fun jobs, and go I hope that's what happens next.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I think I agree with that one hundred percent. But I also think that if you are one of the people who like Tactics Advance, there should be bells going off in your head that if this one can sell a million with its remaking a couple of months, there's no reason why the advanced games couldn't get the same treatment. It might take a little more work, but or even the DS one A two was on DS correct, Yeah, right, I think it's because it's Sea. They didn't want to call it advanced too, because it wasn't on a Game Boy Advance. I think that's Rightically, A two and a three, I think somebody just try to me a three. But either way, those those advanced games I think are now prime.
Speaker 2: To understanding they want a three to three.
Speaker 3: Sorry sorry, sorry, I uh. I think that would be the next course of action over a new one. Give the advanced people what they want, and then maybe you combine them into a new game where somehow their stories intersect, if that's even possible.
Speaker 1: I think for me, the ideal scenario here is they put all the work into remaking this one. Just put out a collection of A and A and A two advance in A two and put that in like into a bundle with maybe some small upgrades, and get to work on the next new one, because those advanced games still hold up pretty well, and advanced game collections Game Boy Advanced collections have been great, the the cast Mania one's been great, all the Mega Man stuff that was on Advance, Oh yeah, great section.
Speaker 2: Election, and then let's let's get on to the next new one.
Speaker 1: As someone who preferred Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, I don't need a lot done to those games, and I think they people could go back and play those now and mostly get the same experience I did. Maybe it could start even faster, although that game does start faster than Tactics. I don't know if they want to go and give those games the same treatment that this one got.
Speaker 2: I would welcome that.
Speaker 1: That would be awesome, But mostly I think they should be taking this as a sign as make a new one. Make this as like a sort of an equal but different path over here to whatever they're doing with the core Final Fantasy games, and you could sort of just like treat this one as something that they can afford to make more frequently, and I have to have the massive budgets and still get Final Fantasy out there and keep it relevant and keep the sickouse happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't disagree with any of that at all. Clearly sounds like there's a taste for it, even if it's just voice acted tactics. That seems to be a big Everyone seems to love voice acting in this game. So yeah, good for them. I'm glad to see that. And yeah, hopefully this means that they realize that the tactics part of Final Fantasy Is has its own level of viability. Maybe not quite to the level of the main core franchise, but people have a hunger for this that is worth exploring for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, last story I have written down here sort of tangentially related to video games. New report says Dave Filoni is about to run.
Speaker 2: All of Star Wars.
Speaker 1: This is from Paul Tassi at Forbes that there's rumors going around that Kathleen Kennedy plans to step down soon and Dave Feloni and so I think someone else will kind of step into her roles, but Dave Filoni would be the ones calling the shots.
Speaker 2: For the most part, I worry.
Speaker 1: About this just as someone who has kind of soured on Felony recently.
Speaker 2: I think that Ahsoka show was bad.
Speaker 1: It was real bad, and I'm not excited about Mandalorian and Grogu. I think the Mandalorian show kind of went sour pretty fast as well. Showed that I thought had a good sort of kung fu ness to it early on, where it's like this wandering guy going from town to town getting in stuff. Early on, I'm like that, yeah, that's fine, this is acceptable, and it kind of just turned into something else by the end, and it had to like serve this larger Mando universe that does not have the juice.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think that's where I'm at with it.
Speaker 1: Like I think Foloni stuff right now, at least the live action stuff doesn't have the juice.
Speaker 2: Some Yeah, I'm a little.
Speaker 1: Concerned, But I guess my question to you, Jason would be like, what do you think could this could be for the future of Star Wars video games, because it does seem like that's getting to a good place where we're getting that Star Wars Racer, we are getting a new Knights of the Old Republic game faith of the Old Republic. Seems like the people over there that are responsible for the video games have a good idea of what they can be doing and are doing it. I would have faith that actually Feloni would be all for that, and so maybe I should have some optimism when he's in charge, at least for the video games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he cut his teeth in the animated Clone Wars and Rebels show, so he knows the the benefits of side projects that aren't normally in the Star Wars sphere. Like back when those those shows came out, there weren't animated Star Wars shows. They didn't exist. So yeah, I would like to think that he has an open mind for anything regarding Star Wars in this video game space. He had to have seen that Jedi Fallen Order and Jedi Survivor were very, very good games. Outlaws, despite its slow start, now seems to be in a place where people were really enjoying it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I understand your apprehension when it comes to the live action stuff, but I do think that he's a decent choice for the entire entirety of Star Wars now, whether whether who knows, maybe we go watch Mandalorian and Grogu and he goes this completely different direction. It goes back to his roots, and everybody is like, yes, felony forever.
Speaker 1: But I mean, what I hope happens there is he kind of like caps off that Mando universe, but it feels like they're kind of just started instead.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. But but maybe not.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe because he's going to be in this role that Kathleen Kennedy Kennedy was in, maybe he'll have to sort of step back and sort of let other people kind of take on the roles and he can focus on the stuff that he is most passionate about, which you know, when he was doing those animated shows, they were good. Rebels is very good, and so he can do stuff that is obviously worthy of this franchest that I love a lot, And I know a lot of people don't care about it anymore, and that's that's fine, But yeah, I still worry a little bit. I think that I will accept this because what other choice do I have. And I'll be interested to see can he make these like live action movies work and if they can't, can he pivot?
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now he will have my full endorsement forever. If he green lights a Master's of terras Kasi reboot, there.
Speaker 1: Should be a master Taskazi like multimedia event. There should be a game, there should be a there should be books. There should be a movie.
Speaker 2: Our show. Maybe that's a good show with like a great tournament arc. That would be awesome.
Speaker 3: I'm the only idiot who one hundred percent unlocked everything in that game from a Blockbuster rental.
Speaker 1: What do you mean that for when you already have fock and horror when you boot the game.
Speaker 3: Up the greatest sound effects of all times? Uh No, I I think that game has potential.
Speaker 2: It just was, you know, dull shit at the time, one of.
Speaker 1: Them one as bad as it is its reputation, it's bad, but it's not as bad.
Speaker 2: As people make it out to be. The worst fighting no way.
Speaker 3: No, it's definitely not that uh not when tattoo assassins exists. But I I you know, it's it's there's there's potential here, And I think a name like Filoni gives you more optimism than pessimism, healthy healthy uh amount of apprehension as you mentioned, that's right in the middle there. But I think there's more to like here than there is to be dreading. Granted, everything in Disney right now has a asterisk next to it, right, but this one is just he has me good lately. Let's let's see what goes from there. So I'm fine with it. I guess just fine.
Speaker 1: All right, let's see here, let's get to the poll question from Monday. I am bringing up the results right now over on YouTube dot com slash at gia bomb under the posts there we have it here. It is have you played Avatar Frontiers at Pandora? Eighty three percent said no, seventeen percent said yes, maybe a larger number than I was even expecting. I felt like that game came and went. But it is one of those Ubisoft games that does just sort of get a million discounts all the time, and they did a decent job of positioning this game with new DLC. That is related to the new movie the day the movie came out, which is not something we've seen very frequently, like any sort of big sort of cash in or a suddenly taken advantage of a new movie coming out the day it comes out. Even going back to the days when we were getting a ton of like movie tying games, Jason, it would be like the game's going to come out a couple months later or something like that. So you know, kudos to that team for getting that ready. Seems to have helped. I like that game, and I always want to go back to it, but it feels like one of those ones where it's like I got a million other new things to play.
Speaker 2: When am I ever going to make time for that.
Speaker 1: Any any time spent with Avatar Frontiers of Pandora.
Speaker 3: No, but what you just said is exactly how I feel about it. I want to try it. I want to see Ubisoft's take on it, because the only far Cry I believe it or not, that has really stuck with me since three was Primal. Okay, I feel like this one has more of the Primal vibe than normal far Cry does. So yes, I very much want to check this out and see what they did with it. I'm also interested to see how the movie tie in DLC that just came out kind of links up. I think that's that's an interesting, uh interesting idea there, But very much. I was very much one of the eighty three percent, but not by not for lack of want more for lack of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hopefully I could change out at some.
Speaker 1: Point, right I would you know, I would love uh for this sort of thing to happen in the future, like if there was a Starfighter tie in for Star Wars Outlaws at some point. Obviously I don't think that could like line up timeline wise perfectly, but like they could touch on the same subjects. So if there's like some mcguffin in there there, it could show up in the game and they could have some just a small DLC that that does that. I would enjoy something like that. I hope that this experiment kind of worked out well enough that we could they could consider more of that going forward. Oh my god, they're doing contra operation galuga on? Is it the bad game block on Awesome Games?
Speaker 2: Done quick? I don't have to check that out.
Speaker 3: Well, they there was a whole bid war to get it to be hard mode and it won, so now they're suffering through it all.
Speaker 2: Incredible.
Speaker 1: All right, let's see, we have a new poll question that we'll get to here in a second.
Speaker 2: Do we come up with one on the fly?
Speaker 1: And before we do that, though, Jason Fonelly, why don't you tell people where they can hunt you on the Internet where you have going on and all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Jason Fidelli dot com on Blue Sky, my most active social media platform, big Man, Finelle, everywhere else that's Instagram x for like another minute, that'll be a'll be deleting that soon, and a couple and anywhere else you can think to find me writing on game Spot most of the time. This week the year started with a hands on of Code Vein two. I played that while I was out in La for the Game Award. That one is interesting. I don't do souls likes, as has been documented here before, but this one I think has a very interesting story to it. It's a it's completely separate from CODEVID one. You don't have to play that one. This one, there's like a going back in time, partnering with someone to fix something that happen, and then going back to the present to open this like containment cocoon they called it. And the boss that you're fighting is this like monstrous warped version of the companion you had in the past, And at first they don't realize it's you, but then they do and they're like the one that we played in this demo was like you need you need to finish me before I could change completely, Like there's a little bit that humanity left in there, and I thought that was an interesting sort of story beat. Now am I going to be willing to slog through hours of souls like frustration to see all of that?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know how much time I'm going to have, But I did enjoy what I played in that demo. And no, I don't normally like to like put a lot of emphasis on the event. The press events themselves, they are fun, but normally it's just like we're there to play the game, but in the job. Yeah, the venue that they chose for this apparently in Los Angeles, they're the oldest cathedral in LA has been verted into an event space for like weddings and stuff. So like, I'm playing this game and to my left is like a Catholic altar. We played it in a church. It was one so more Again, it's.
Speaker 1: Always cool, and like I always respect that you're right, Like the event itself is not does it shouldn't matter to most people who are reading or enjoying our content, But I always want to shout out the people that make those things possible.
Speaker 2: They put a lot of effort in, and.
Speaker 3: It really is that the PR teams in general, the amount of ship that they go through, like even just hearing the little tangential stories here and there, the stuff that they have to deal with on a daily basis, and coming from multiple clients all the time, they are they are troopers, man, They're sayings absolutely all right.
Speaker 1: New poll question, are you getting Mario Tennis fever?
Speaker 2: Yes or no?
Speaker 1: We'll get the results of that poll on tomorrow show here on Giant Bomb.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Giant Bomb, it's Wednesday.
Speaker 1: I will hop into the Knuckles outfit, but I will not be playing Sonic.
Speaker 2: Blasts for the game year or whatever it is.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I will be watching Mike continue to suffer through and really I will be suffering as well. Leisure Suit Larry Box Office Bust, which has at least two episodes left, probably.
Speaker 2: More, probably more All timer? Would you say in all time?
Speaker 1: I mean might keep saying it's like it's amazing that we just now found the worst game of all time. And it's like every we happens frequently we're like, oh no, this is the worst one. Now it's leisure Suit Larry, this is it is un it's irredeemable in every way.
Speaker 2: It is. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Pain, it is just pain to watch. It's pain for like to play apparently. Uh, and nothing funny about it, I guess, other than Patrick Warburton yelling blog it, which has entered my vernacular forever.
Speaker 3: So I will say though, I love that you have to watch this in a knuckle suit.
Speaker 2: That just makes it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the magic of the blight in the bank, and when Dan Riker gets it, it's especially magical.
Speaker 2: So there we go. All right.
Speaker 1: Other things are happening on the site, of course, and tomorrow we're gonna have a voicemail dump truck. We're gonna be hanging out on Friday playing some games. We'll probably play some games elsewhere. I feel like one of these days I'm gonna do an early morning stream. But we'll see what that what that looks like. I'm still playing a ton of secretory. I'm trying to get my score back from Jacob Geller. I probably won't play that on the side. I should just keep that private in my own shame, all right, I think that's gonna do it. Jason Fanillick, thank you for hanging out with me today and talk about video games.
Speaker 2: Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Always a pleasure. Hope everybody enjoyed it, looking forward to the next time.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for watching and listening. You are the best audience in gaming. Have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.