Speaker 1: Welcome to the Three Martini Lunch.
Speaker 2: Grab a stool next to Greg Corumbus of Radio America and Jim Garritty of National Review.
Speaker 1: Free Martini's coming up.
Speaker 3: Hey, we made it to Friday, and we actually have some good news on more than one story today.
Speaker 1: How about that.
Speaker 3: We'll take that going into the weekend. In a moment, we'll be talking about the fact that the Brown University shooter turned out to also be the MIT shooter. He's also dead, and we'll get more of an explanation on what exactly happened here. We'll also be taking a look at the conviction of Judge Hannah Dugan in Wisconsin after she blatantly helped an illegal immigrant escape ICE enforcement in her courthouse. That's good news, but there's more bad political action happening when it comes to illegal immigration, and it just cost someone their life here just outside the nation's capital. So before we get to that, let's talk about zachdac Because whether it's your overd dental cleaning, the physical that you keep putting off, or something else, ZocDoc is the answer. ZocDoc is a free app and website where you can search and compare high quality in network doctors and click to instantly book an appointment.
Speaker 1: You know, Greg, all of us are going to need doctors sooner or later. Maybe you get assaulted by an illegal immigrant and you're going to have lingering issues from that, or maybe you're the Fairfax County prosecutor and you need your head examine. You know, there's lots of reasons why you might need one. So with ZocDoc, you can book in network appointments with more than one hundred thousand doctors across every specialty of medical care, from mental health to dental health, primary care to urgent care, and more. You can filter for doctors that take your insurance, see if they're located nearby, see if they're a good fit for any particular medical needs you might have, and you can check to see if they're highly rated by verified patients.
Speaker 3: Jim has used it to find an optometrist. I've used it to find an e NT. So stop putting out those doctors appointments and go to ZocDoc dot com slash three mL to find an instantly book a top rated doctor today. That's zoc doc dot com slash three mL, zogdoc dot com slash three m L All right, Jim. As evidenced by two of our martinis already this week, our confidence in the Providence police and Brown University officials and Rhode Island was not exactly sky high. Turns out, though, that this case appears to have been solved, although with many lingering questions that may never get answered, kind of had dueling press conferences last night. Providence folks showed up mainly to congratulate themselves, it seemed like, but also in dribs and drabs to give out an explanation of how the case came together. Up in Boston, the US attorney up there, Leah Foley, with a much more coherent explanation of what happened.
Speaker 2: Investigators identified the vehicle he had rented in Boston and then drove to Rhode Island, and he was seen in the vehicle, was seen outside of Brown, and there was security footage that showed a person who resembled him. There was online there was financial investigations that were going on in the background that linked him not only to that car, but also to the hotels that he had rented and the cars. The car that he had used to not only drive to Rhode Island but then back to Boston, and then there was a security footage that captured him within a half mile of the professor's residence in Brookline, and there is a video footage of him entering an apartment building in the location of the professor's apartment, and then later that evening he is seen about an hour later entering the storage unit wearing this same clothes that he had been scene wearing right after the murder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that seems pretty cut and dried. The Brown shooting was on the thirteenth, the murder of the professor was on the fifteenth. Found debt on the eighteenth, and a storage facility in Salem, New Hampshire, and so Jim there was also switching license plates from the rental Florida plates to once from Maine that were long expired. And so we still don't know motive. Why did he shoot up the class in Brown? Seems like he may have known this professor from MIT and maybe that was the real target. What do you make of what we do know and what we don't.
Speaker 1: Well, the threat has passed, which is probably you know, why we put this in the good Martine. It's good to have some answers of who the perpetrator was kind of infuriating about the press conference, which I'll talk about a bit more in a second, but you know, I remember at the time you and I talked on this podcast. I don't think beating the drums for this, but people wondering, considering the identity of the professor, was this potentially an anti Semitic attack from this happened the same day as the terrible attack in Australia. Then we found out that one of the two students of slain was vice president of the College Republicans. Some people wondered if she had been particularly targeted by this. Based on what we know right now, neither of those appear to be the case. No nothing at connecting this guy to jihadism, Islamism, anything like that. No indication that this any student was particularly targeted. The student the shooter had gone to Brown University as a pH d candidate back in like the year two thousand, stopped going to classes two thousand and one, ended up formally withdrawing in two thousand and three, I believe, based on the university president's statement, so he had a connection to Brown but had been a long time. Kind of makes sense by nobody recognized him or recognized his voice. By the way, the state Attorney General had said that some people had said that he had not said anything during the shooting. There were comments saying he had shouted something, and a lot of people thought, oh, was this a la akbar or was you know, were people was this an Islamist attack? And people just didn't want to admit it. The state Attorney General said last night that some witnesses said that he was barking. Now, I don't know if that's not understanding something in Portuguese or whether he really was, but he kind of got He looked as confused as the rest of us when he shared that detail. So no indication pointing that this was, you know, in his Lamist attack and people were afraid to admit it. The guy had some connection to Brown University in this his previous program he studied physics and this he apparently knew the professor at MIT that he murdered. So this appears to be personal motives from a person, you know, the standard classification, just some nut, no larger ideological one, no sense of a manifesto, no sense of a you know, larger cause that he was fighting for. Seemingly personal grievances of some kind with the school and with this professor. Every bit is sad, everybod is wrong. But just you know, that's something we can kind of put about this. We had been underwhelmed by the performance of the Mayor of Providence, the police chief, state Attorney General, and governor in these press conferences. Earlier in the week. At the press conference in up in Boston, seemed to be a lot more Joe Friday just the faximam, which is kind of what we all tuned in for. I did not love that the Providence press conference began with everyone talking about how proud they were of everyone who had worked at how hard. Everyone like, yes, you know you are law enforcement officials responding and investigating a mass shooting. I would hope that you're working hard. I would hope that you're putting in low. This is this is like the job, this is, you know. So I kind of I could have done without all of that. And there was one last detail that stuck in my crawl. Wrote about it in Today's Morning Joelt From the beginning, I've just kind of marveled at the fact that somebody committed a mass shooting on a IGU league college campus and apparently nothing got caught on security cameras that was of any use to law enforcement. And there's this very specific question about this to the university president last night, who said, you didn't have any cameras in the universe in that building, And she says there were cameras in that building, but not enough of them. She also affirmed again that there are one one two hundred security cameras on Brown University's campus. Maybe it's just a remarkable coincidence, but just amazing that this guy managed to pick the route where none of them saw anything that was useful. And because there was some confusion, I was not I never wrote or said that the security cameras would have prevented this attack, but it became very important. Okay, so the guy's there with the mask, Well, does anybody see him before he puts on the mask? Does anybody see him after he takes off the mask? Is there? You know? Can we follow the route that he departed? All these kind of things. It sounds like all of this came or the really big break in the case came from John, who is apparently a homeless person, former graduate of Brown University who lives in the building. I don't know about you. That strikes me as a less than ideal set of circumstances. But John had some sort of confrontation with the shooter and kind of sense that the shooter was there and did not belong. He's in his late forties, he probably probably knew he wasn't a professor, and he didn't look like he was a student. So the question is what's he doing there? And he connected him to the car, and from the car, they were able to connect him to the car rental place that gave them the name, found out that both cars were involved in both shooting incidents. Eventually traced him to New Hampshire, where he had apparently killed himself. So again, you know, glad that the threat has gone kind of frustrating, and I just you know, Marvel. So what struck me as last night was the insistence of the university president quote. I do not think a lack of cameras in that building had anything to do with what happened there. Well, it probably would have helped the cops, wouldn't it if you know, we'd had some sense of what this guy looked like without his mask on. Now people are saying this building's on the edge of campus, and eventually they did get these sorts of images from people's ring cameras and other, you know, other cameras in the neighborhood. So I'm glad they eventually got it. But if they'd had that the day of the shooting, would they have been able to prevent the assassination of that mit professors, I'm never gonna know, but it just strikes me very odd to have so many security cameras on campus and in the end none of them prove anything useful.
Speaker 3: Well, all right, well let's talk about your business, which is also important. And let's talk about running a business on a clunky, old phone system, because that's like competing with one hand tied behind your back. Every time you miss a call, that's money left on the table. But QUO spelled QUO is the modern alternative. It's built to help you work smarter, build stronger relationships, and never miss an opportunity, because that's what your business and your customers deserve.
Speaker 1: Quot is not just a phone system. It's a smart system. It's got a built in artificial intelligence that will log the calls, right up summaries and even set up the next steps and if for some reason you can't answer the phone, quos Ai agent can. It'll qualify your leads, route the calls to the right person, and make sure that no customers ever left hanging. So even after hours, QUO has your back and it'll keep the lights on. Well you can get some sleep.
Speaker 3: And that's why more than ninety thousand businesses are already running on quote, from solo operators to growing teams. And you can try it for free when you go to quote dot com slash three that's QUO dot com slash three mL. You can even keep your existing number quote no missed calls, no missed customers, all right, Jim. Good news. Also, in a case that we've been tracking to some extent all the way back in April, that's when the chaos first began in the courtroom of Judge Hannah Dugan. She had an illegal immigrant before her. I believe it was on a domestic abuse charge. It was unrelated to immigration related defenses. Nonetheless in the country illegally. Ice waiting patiently in the lobby of the courthouse to take him into custody for deportation proceedings, one would assume, and she decides no she's got to play resistance hero and she smuggles this guy out the back door. They catch him a couple of blocks down the street. She gets charged with a number of things, most especially felony obstruction of justice and then also concealing an individual to prevent arrest. Now, she was acquitted of the concealing, but convicted yesterday on the felony obstruction. Normally that carries a five year sentence. We'll see what happens in the sentencing here the jury returning the verdict after deliberating for six hours. And Jim, I've got to say, when this case happened and the charges came down, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin is a pretty deep blue area, and I wasn't sure what would happen. Could you get a jury to actually convict if they feel strongly, if anybody on that jury feels strongly in opposition to the deportation policy. So kudos to that jury, at least on the obstruction charge, for focusing on the facts of the case and making sure that Judge Dugan here is not above the law just because she happened to wear a robe for a lot of years.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean, I suppose the moral victory here for the judge is that the jury took six hours and not six minutes, since it seemed just straight up obvious the facts of the case were not in dispute. The only way you could make a defense of her is to say, well, yes, but she believes that the law that the ICE agents were attempting to be enforced was immoral and is wrong, and they say a look for jury nullification. Instead, it sounds like her legal defense was that she was never intentionally obstructing the ICE agents, which is like, I don't. I'm just picturing the entire jury just saying come on, so again, this should have taken six minutes. But nonetheless, Now, the other thing which I think is worth you know, remembering here is at the time, the coverage of it in a whole bunch of media was that the Trump administration had starting started arresting judges it didn't like, and this was an assault on the independent judiciary and all that stuff. The idea is that there was no actual criminal activity on the part of this judge that would warrant such a case. Minnesota Tina Smith saying, quote, if Cash Patel and Donald Trump don't like a judge, they think they can arrest them. Know, if Trump and Patel had anything to do with the you know, we're even you know, notified of it until it happened. But like, no, like this, that's not what this case was about at all. Democratic Senator Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin, the president's administration arresting as sitting judge is a gravely serious and drastic move. Well, yeah, because that's what happens when you do when the judge breaks the law, and it threatens to breach the various separations of power. Separation of power doesn't mean judges are immune from criminal law. You can't break the law if you're a judge. In fact, if anything, you're really expected to uphold the law because you're one of the people who upholds the law. Amy Klobuchar, the administration's arrest of assisting judge sitting judge in Wisconsin is a drastic move that threatens the rule of law. No, it upholds the rule of law because the judge broke it and a jury was convinced of this. So it was all partisan nonsense. It was all hand waving away criminal acts by the judge, an attempt to demonize the FBI, and the administration. Justice has been done here. This is really good, This is really satisfying. I wonder if any of these Democratic senators want to weigh in now say, oopsie, never mind, I guess you know, I guess you really did break the law. This wasn't really an attack on the independent judiciary. Blah blah blah. So satisfying, but also kind of a little bit infuriating that the judge thinks she could thought she could do this, thought she could get away with it, and that so many Democrats and chunk of the media rushed to her aid to hand wave away the fact that she did something blatantly illegal because they really couldn't stand the administration's policies.
Speaker 3: No, that's exactly right, and hopefully it disabuses any other judges of similar ideas if they have an illegal immigrant in their courtroom. I mean, she's got a guy not convicted of whatever assault charges he was in there for in the first place. But it's not exactly that. You're you know, letting the valedictorian out, and even then it would still be violating the law clearly. And at the end of your peace on this in the Jolt today, you quote New York Times columnist David Brooks, who is on PBS and said that Dugan's alleged actions this is back earlier.
Speaker 1: In the year.
Speaker 3: Quote it strikes me as maybe something illegal, but it also strikes me as something heroic. No, it's definitely illegal, and it's not heroic. Breaking the law is not heroic, especially in this case.
Speaker 1: Not to hear at all credit here was half right. The illegal part.
Speaker 3: Is definitely illegal.
Speaker 1: Jury did not buy the heroic argument. Yeah, it just is is a general sense of like we've we've talked about I think was it was it Mark Levin who wrote are robed masters? Right? In this idea of people legislating from the bench, you know this this sense of judges believe that, you know, because of this, they are to quote the notable jurist Judge dread As performed by Sylvester Saloon, that that basically they once you're once you have the black robe on, you decide what the law is. No, that's not the casis. By the way, if a judge wanted to say to Ice, I'm I'm holding court, I am you know this person is on trial in front of me for an unrelated thing. Don't arrest this person in my that strikes me as fair. Right, you can't arrest in the courthouse. That does not strike me as fair. And for obvious reasons, law enforcement loves, and I says, love to arrest somebody in courthouses because they've already been through a magnetometer. You know, this person doesn't have a knife. You know, this person doesn't have a gun. You know, like courthouses are great places to arrest people because they're already in the courthouse. It's a short trip, you know, So just it just seemed like a that in the end, the judges don't like what the law says and therefore believe they can overrule it. But that's not the role of judiciary in this country.
Speaker 3: That's exactly it well said. And we're gonna talk more about how legal immigrants are benefiting from public officials who aren't doing their jobs, all right, But before we do that, let's talk about your liver. Gotta stay healthy. I know some people are gonna spike the egg now. I get the holiday parties and other things are going to be passed around, maybe, but you know, try to try to keep it all in proportion, you know, you know, it's easier than fixing a problem not having the problem in the first place. So moderation, first of all, is a good part of that. But your liver is one of those organs you don't think about until you have to, and supporting it daily is a small thing that can make a really big difference, especially long term and how you feel. And Dose for your liver is a clinically backed liver health supplement. You take it in a daily two oun shot. It actually tastes good, it doesn't taste all medicinal, and it actually cleanses your liver. Plus zero sugar, zero junk, zero calories.
Speaker 1: You know, Greg, it's the holiday season, people have parties, beer, wine, cocktails, or maybe local judges and prosecutors are driving you to drink. Either way, it's going to take a toll on your liver. And your liver processes everything you consume and performs more than five hundred daily functions. We're talking about energy production, digestion, fat metabolism, vitamin storage, and if your liver is overworked, you're going to feel it. So once you start drinking dose daily, you're going to reduce that sluggishness. So you need to get rid of those midday crashes. You're going to help your metabolism and it can even aid your daily digestion. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, are you ready to give your liver the support it deserves well? Head to dose daily dot co slash THREEML or enter threeml to get thirty five percent off the first month of your subscription. Your body does so much for you, let's do something for it. That's D S E D A I L Y dot co slash THREEML for thirty five percent off your first month's subscription. All right, from Wisconsin, we moved to Virginia and this is courtesy of the Free Beacon. An illegal immigrant from l Salvador was arrested Wednesday after police say he shot a man to death inside arrest in Virginia home, just one day after being released from jail. Authorities identified the suspect as twenty three year old Marvin Morales Ortes, who Ice confirmed is in the country illegally. Fairfax County police launched a manhunt after the shooting, eventually apprehending him following a search involving drones, canine units, and helicopters. Morales Ortes had been released from jail Tuesday after prosecutors drop charges stemming from an alleged gun brandishing and assault case. By Wednesday, police say he was back on the street and allegedly committed a homicide. Fairfax County Police later disclosed they had obtained an emergency custody order to detain morales or Tes after his release, but were unable to locate him before the order expired. Court records indicate that morales or Tes had been charged with at least seven crimes in Fairfax County since twenty twenty. So, Jim, the guy's got seven crimes already on his record, or at least arrested for seven crimes. The prosecutor again, we got an assault in a brandishing of open Eh, We're not gonna do anything. We'll just let him go. Ice tries to issue a hey hold on to this guy, We're coming. We know you've got him in custody. No gotta let him go. Sorry, Ice, And then this guy's roommate ends up dead. Well done, Fairfax County Prosecutor's Office. Well done.
Speaker 1: So when I first heard about this story, Greg, I was infuriated, even like just blisteringly angry. Most notably, I clicked through and I read the ABC seven local ABC affiliate report. Among those charges you mentioned, you know, seven arrests since since twenty twenty a first degree murdered charge in twenty twenty one. He spent a year and a half in jail while he awaited trial. It was ultimately determined he was not involved in the murder and charges were dropped with someone else being convicted in the case. So if he didn't actually do it, fine, But the only time he was found guilty in any of the cases was charged was for theft. He was fined three hundred dollars. Court records indicate he never paid Greg Is that cop, Like, when the government says you are fined, is it optional? Do you just tempt to pay it? Like?
Speaker 3: Shouldn't be?
Speaker 1: All right? The other thing is is I had up until now thought that if I assaulted someone, if I murdered someone, if I brandished a weapon, then you know, the cops would arrest me, and the federal you know Fairfax, he got he prosecuted, offers We're like, well, this guy's dangerous, this guy's that We're going to punish him by prosecuting him, getting a conviction and putting him in jail. And apparently not so much. Apparently, like the other they might be like, yeah, it happens, it's okay, dropping the charges go, you know, just don't do it again. So I guess we all get one free murder here in this county. So okay, all right, I know now if that is the deal, I mean, I got a long list of people I'd like to bump off, but I can narrow it down. I could pick one. I get it, do the deed, and the prosecutor's off just gonna say, hey, tisk, tisk, We're gonna find you three hundred dollars. But you only have to pay it if you feel like it, to be honest, if it's optional, I'm not really. It's kind of like the was it the FEC box you have to check out your tax return? Did you want some of your money to go to the matching funds? You know? Do you feel like paying this fine? Check the docs? No? And what what are they gonna do? Put you in jail? It's what is that their job? Okay? Technically yes, that is their job. So anyway, so good job Ice, I'm finally catching this guy. Terrible job by Fairfax County Police, and I you know, look, I know, cops have a tough job. I imagine if you're a beat cop, and I imagine if you arrest somebody. It must be utterly infuriating to watch a prosecutor say, yeah, I'm not going to do this one. Whether it's for ideological reasons or laziness or they're not. You know, they're worried about whether they're gonna be able to get a conviction, and they've got a really good conviction rate. They don't want to reduce that rate by taking on the harder cases. I don't know. It just is infuriating and I but don't worry. I will not actually murder someone. I'm not that infuriated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think you'd get the freebe Jim. You're in the country legally, right.
Speaker 1: You can't let people like that. It's it's only the people are in the country illegally where you go.
Speaker 3: Like, eh, you know, yeah, the Fairfax County Prosecutor Discano is a far lefty. I don't think he'd cut you any slack. But just in case you're thinking, oh, well, Virginia'll learn its lesson from this, it's it's going to get better now. It's not free Beacon says. This comes as Abigail Spanberger, who will become governor next month, has said she will rescind Governor Glenn Youngkin's executive order requiring state agencies to cooperate with ICE, arguing that tears families apart and diverts law enforcement resources. Elections have consequences. Virginia was Jim.
Speaker 1: Hey, we glad we had it on such a It was a crazy Martini, but it's also a very dark and depressing Martini, particularly for those of us who live in Virginia.
Speaker 3: Seriously young four years Jim Garretty, National Review. I'm Greg Corumbus of Radio America. Thanks so much for being with us today. Please be sure to subscribe to the podcast if you don't already, tell your friends about us as well. Thanks also for your five star ratings and your kind reviews. Please keep those coming. Get us on your home devices. All you have to say is play Three Martini Lunch podcast, follow us both on x He's at Jim Garretty, I'm at Greg Corumbus, and then follow us at three Martini Lunch on both Facebook and Instagram. Have a great weekend. Join us again Monday for the next Three Martini Lunch