Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I want to take part in the show call out Steve now went five to two oh four one, six seventy four to night.
Speaker 2: This is my favorite section, right section or segment segment. Sorry, yeah, that's a pretty.
Speaker 3: Big way you get me here. Yes, you're your tout craft feeling. Hey by the way, oh it's we're welcome back to exactly. I'm Steve, your Mike and now yeah, I don't know if I canna be Mike much longer. I mean, give me a hard time. This is your last day, Mike. This is well, it's my last day of this week. The uh it's like I'm ready to start my uh sixth day vacationion Mike, you're eating into his time. Sorry, it's my favorite segment. I just said, this is my favorite segment.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is I on the Ball. Breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: What going on?
Speaker 4: Welcome to Mike's favorite segment by yours truly, mister Goody two shoes me Hit Dolindo starting off breaking news things that I came in the middle of the show. Arizona and Yukon will be battling in basketball over the next couple of years. Next fall, Arizona will travel to Yukon, where in the following year Yukon will come to Tucson right away.
Speaker 2: That's great. I've had the privilege of going out there.
Speaker 3: Arizona played up there and the year lut was out because Bobby's passing, Rosborough was a coach two thousand and one, it was, and they played them here year later. So it's a fantastic place. Very cold, but what a fantastic rivalry or.
Speaker 2: Not, it'll be a good matchup, matchup with history.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Royals Calun versus lud back then and now you know Tommy versus the.
Speaker 4: Exactly he called right after the game, I'm ready exactly.
Speaker 2: He went to standard for his brothers. Who would have thought you would have been the nicer one of.
Speaker 3: The after beating up his brother, He's like, okay, somebody's gotta yeah.
Speaker 5: And I got another thing for you.
Speaker 4: I think the deal breaker was they agreed to shake hands no matter what.
Speaker 3: Did you see that report? I think it was yes, best coaching the coaches agreed not to. Yeah, yeah, it was on X they said both coaches agreed to. And there's a there's always the fact checker, and he came in like seconds after the tweet or the post and said, that's that Bobby Hurley waved off Tommy Lloyd and there was no agreement, etcetera, etcetera. So women's basketball played last Friday after the show.
Speaker 4: They lost you at Utah fifty sixty seven. They're the fourteen and nine now five and five, and.
Speaker 2: They're hit and miss. I mean they're hitting miss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are, I mean they're They're most recent bracketology says that they are part of the first where's that bracketology on ESPN? ESPN on the women's side, women's I've never seen that.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you're the neutral party and almost every situation.
Speaker 4: Yes, on Switzerland, another and more arison Athletic News women's tennis lost to San Diego, uh three to four.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: So they're gonna be looking to get back on track there. That's a good team. That's another program that's kind of hidden it under the shadows of basketball program. Men's program is great that the So Colin Smith went to Cleveland for the ATP Challenger title on Sunday and he won the first place.
Speaker 3: Saw that he was ranked like three hundred something and now he's going to be about two hundred and something. Uh, it was just fantastic. I guess San Diego is a big tennis school.
Speaker 2: Really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Uh, men's tennis will get back on try to get back on track. I believe this Friday after they're lost to u c F and the uh the when they when they played u CF for the indoor tournament kickoff weekend, they beat usc the first day, lost to u c F.
Speaker 2: Four to three.
Speaker 4: On on on the Sundays ago twa men's basketball Saturday, UH real duel in the desert. You would say, Arizona came out with the victory eighty one to seventy two. Big talk is the non post game handshake, the ejection of Caleb Love and the other ASSU player. But in the end, Caleb Love was named the Big twelve Player of the Week today. Yeah, and it's his fourth time getting that honor overall two years.
Speaker 2: Two years. Didn't have a vote.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I don't know bots, I don't know Shrew boots happened. He You know what, Caleb's Love is not gonna be a.
Speaker 2: Player of the Year anyway.
Speaker 4: No, you didn't have a good start to his season.
Speaker 2: Twelve. You have to really turn it up.
Speaker 4: So big news over the weekend in the NBA. Uh, late Saturday night when everyone was getting fastened in sleep and they were tucked in, Luca Doncs was traded to the Los Angeles Lakers. As they walked him with Anthony Davis. In a couple other situations.
Speaker 3: I registered a one in my life, but it's a you know, earthquake in the NBA life. Uh, And I was thinking, okay, whatever, And I guess the Dallas people are thinking we got screwed. Yeah, I think they did. Dallas is really upset. Yeah, yeah, but you.
Speaker 5: Know the guy.
Speaker 3: But I wonder what's gonna have a LEBRONI yeah, it would be interesting overall, it'll be interesting. I don't know how. It'll be interesting to see how they play together. Luca and Lebron play together.
Speaker 4: And they're still missing a center and haven't had a center since Lebron came.
Speaker 2: Uh, so we'll see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he said he has His intention is to stay with the Lakers beyond the deadline and even defense the Lebron. It's intense to stay with the Lakers past the NBA trade deadline and finishing the season with them.
Speaker 2: But we'll see where he goes. They have a chance to win it now, don't you think? No?
Speaker 3: With with Dungeons this season because they don't find the center, they're gonna they're gonna have to well, they'll have to get better done. They're better with him on the team than not. Then they can score more A d was you know he was hell the defensive player, sure, sure, but when he played.
Speaker 2: When he played was great, That's thing about it.
Speaker 3: He just never played and you're getting something similar with d You know, how healthy can he stay?
Speaker 2: Who would you rather have Anthony Davis?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I would know. To me, what do you think now?
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna be another situation of there's there's two guys in one ball and they both need the ball.
Speaker 3: And Luca there's plenty of plenty of plenty of ball to play with over there.
Speaker 2: I think they'll be better. I think they'll be better. I could be wrong.
Speaker 3: We'll monitor this discussion.
Speaker 4: Another big not big, not as big of course as the Luca trade, but Darren Fox is going to be headed to the Spurs and Zach Lvie will be headed to the Kings in a three team trade.
Speaker 2: That news, it's like I've told this story on the show before.
Speaker 3: At the Foe where of the final four, Indianapolis somewhere, there's a huge storm and Ray Rotto, who's a famous San Francisco columnist, Uh, and we all hunker down in the in the in the big ballroom, and man, he says, I I hate it. This is the night we're all gonna die. And it says jim Nance and a bunch of sports writers.
Speaker 2: Died under it.
Speaker 3: Was like the secondary news, like and a bunch of sports writers died in that accident exactly.
Speaker 2: It's it same thing. It's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there was another trade, but there there were other trades. Yeah, other things happened, So.
Speaker 4: There was there was still fluid talks between Jimmy Butler and the Warriors, but he did say he will not be sending a contract extension there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that, So we'll see what happens. We're still gonna wear my Golden State Warriors. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just don't understand why you would want that guy on your team, right, I mean, look, he's he's a hell of a ball player. The dude can the dude can really score. You can light him up.
Speaker 2: But why would you want that guy in their team.
Speaker 3: Well, I think would He is a perfect example of people not watching the NBA or not caring about the NBA because you guys, you're making fifty You guys making fifty million or more or maybe just a little less, and they are a bunch of petulant children. Yeah, I mean absolutely. I mean would you pay? Why would you pay this? And why would you go? Why would you pay to go see this when it's good money? I mean you're spending. I have not watched more than a click through in an NBA year. You and me both, I don't know you're you go follow? Well, so you tell me. Because you're a Spur guy, what does this trade mean to you?
Speaker 4: I think it's great, especially because we're I can say we with this because I am a Spurs fan.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: We're a building around the youth. Even though we have Chris Paul at the point he's kind of teaching the guy we drafted this year. We didn't give up a lot. We basically gave him nothing to go get a premier star in the NBA.
Speaker 2: And he's kind of a pain too. Fox is a little temperamental. Yeah, but you put him in an organization like the Spurs when papavisition and not yet.
Speaker 4: But the guys that Papavich surrounds himself with, they're the same guy, same mentality, and it'll be interesting to see. I don't know if he'll make the play in or even the playoffs, but it's a building step for the future for them.
Speaker 2: For us, they're building slowly, but they're building well.
Speaker 4: And they're building around when Binyama, which is something This is something the Sun should have done with a and they should have built around him and Booker. But that's a different story to some college basketball. Of course, Arizona got that win this weekend, which earned them another spot in the AP Top twenty five and number twenty all. Brianche stays in theber one, followed by Duke Alabama, Tennessee and Houston running out the top five. And then you got Texas Tech, who is at number thirteen coming to TuS on this Saturday.
Speaker 2: That should be a good test. Yeah, every every game.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow should be a good test at Baby us No, which is fantastic. Rough tumble Texas. Texas beat the Houston at Houston without their best player, without their coach. I can't wait to see Kelvin here in in less than.
Speaker 2: Two weeks, walk over. No, No, here's the polemic.
Speaker 3: You're such on a roll nine to one, and then it seems like if you lose to a team like Baylor or whoever, it's not kind of like a step back. It just feels like it's steps back. Does because I don't want to say momentum, but you're on this night run where you don't want it to stop because every game is important. Well, well the other thing is that, like you don't want to be found out, So I think that everybody's waiting for the shoot of fall on this, on this it's been a hell of a run this, you know, nine to one. But uh, well yeah, are you kind of still going yeah, I'm just well real quick because you started the show, we were not on the areat Yeah, and what you talk about Kayla, yeah, cub you.
Speaker 2: Want to throw that in now?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the thing that my fact and I sent you a note on this is it, like you know, certainly as as he goes, so goes the team, because when he is into it, when he's fired up, when he is engaged, they all are Okay, you could see it. He was playing defense against Iowa State he was playing the best defense i'd seen. He was playing great against s U But you see that playing that playing at Iowa State, he's one one for ten shooting and he's lollygagging around the court.
Speaker 2: On offense. It's kind of potting with.
Speaker 3: His said done. He shoots, he misses, and he just kind of goes oh, you know, it's like oh me, oh me, you know, and it's like you sit there and you're like, okay, the whole team goes down when when that happens, because he is he is the spark clog on the team. He hits the fifty five foot dream shot and all of a sudden, it's like boom, energy, energy, energy, Here we go, here we go. So can he carry them through the big twelve? Can he carry them into the tournament a long way?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think he can do. I think he will know.
Speaker 3: I think that he'll miss a couple of shots and he'll hang his head and well, he's been that way all year, so why would you think that change exactly?
Speaker 2: So hopefully you will continuing gonna kind of speed run this.
Speaker 3: Florida State's Leonard Hamilton will be stepping down at the end of the season and he had twenty three year career in Tallahassee. Yeah, another older guy said enough already he's being sued by a people for not being paid.
Speaker 4: Star defensive Van Miles Garrett has requested a trade from the Cleveland Browns uh and hopefully intends to sign or be traded to a contender.
Speaker 3: David Kelly's doing a show right now, so you won't hear this. Cleveland has a football team.
Speaker 2: Biles Garrett doesn't think. So that's a basketball Now I'm I'm a celebrity. Give me off this island.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, it's like what I'm gonna He says he wants to play in a Super Bowl or play for a Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: So he's not going to Dallas, believe I believe it. What he wants to do. He wants to be in a winner.
Speaker 3: So former Arizona offensive coordinator did follow Fish to Washington. Uh, Brendan Carroll will be join his dad as the offensive line coach. Yeah that was only amount of time, right, I didn't know that. Kelly who dress Oakland? Yes, Oakland, Brandon will be Brendan Carro will.
Speaker 2: Be Uh what about Oakland?
Speaker 3: Yes, Vegas, Vegas enjoy still his dad and who else.
Speaker 2: So chip Kelly, Kelly, chip.
Speaker 4: Kelly is leaving Ohouse State to become the Raiders offensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, well that goes.
Speaker 4: Uh So, we got about six days until Super Bowl Sunday, and the NFL has vowed that it is a safe place to be this weekends. Given what has transparent first day of the year in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: They certainly are vigilant, There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: Uh So, the MLB has fired their umpire Pat Hoberg for shared betty accounts with professional poker players, and he won't be working for the MLB anymore. Last thing I got, Nebraska is likely to cancel their spring game or transfer concerns.
Speaker 2: I saw that too. Hid the players, so nobody will find here we go, Here we go more stuff. You think that that's going to prevent it. Oh, he is a pretty girlfriend. Let's trying to steal her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're gonna steal her. They're gonna steal her. They already know who your players are are, right just because you don't show them on a spring game, right, well, they don't want to. You know, you sit there and you don't play somebody in the spring game and they power you know, and then they go to the they hit the portal.
Speaker 2: You want to go to dinner. No I don't because somebody might. But I tell you what this is. It is wild wild West.
Speaker 3: Now it's crazy. I'm an old big guy. Now all the things that we grew up with, you know about not tampering. Oh come on, that's open season is not a word anymore. Yeah, No, I mean it's it's crazy. Yeah, Okay, let's take a break, come back with Brian Peterson.
Speaker 1: Your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nation wide keyword on our website bails. That's bails. Enter it right now. Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 7: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and from the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 7: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yuki try The.
Speaker 8: Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorotle Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. You found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 9: Arizona Health, Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health from.
Speaker 2: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 11: On twenty second this quest of will not, Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Recognize your employees.
Speaker 11: Salespeople, managers and agents with a crew Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 12: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A b K nine two nine to four two Equal housing opportunity, Got to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with don't Notice?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 9: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards as your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty.
Speaker 2: Five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games.
Speaker 9: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 11: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to Roh twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 6: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation. Today, baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredible event. For four action pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games are set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Join us at Keno Veterans Memorial Baseball Stadium field the excitement as powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China and Columbia take the field. Visit World Baseballclassic dot com to secure your seat today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film Authority.
Speaker 8: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress.
Speaker 2: The Window Depot is here to help.
Speaker 8: At the Window Depot, we're your one softwarehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between.
Speaker 2: You'll find it.
Speaker 8: All here at the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, our experience designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the Window Deepot dot Com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: While just search I on the Ball.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to Wind the Ball Hero on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve rivera pees wait Quinn, and we got one of the shoals. No, we have Brian Peterson of Ezy Desert Swarm.
Speaker 5: Brian, How you doing, I'm good, Thanks for having me back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, Hey.
Speaker 3: I would assume that you've been to about less than ten more than a handful of ASU games up there.
Speaker 13: Uh, I've been maybe about so closer to it doesn't I'd say.
Speaker 3: Okay, this one more bizarre than most, or because there have been games like this before.
Speaker 13: I mean, come on, yeah, it's I mean it's been weird that the games up there are always weird. First, because you have such a large amount of Arizona fans and the ASU contingent is a mix of people who really care about as U or just hate Arizona, and it makes for a fun atmosphere. But I haven't seen a game like this that that involved like a near fight or anything like that. I've seen ones with guys hanging on the rim and people running out on the court before the game was over, or a big blown lead, things like that, but nothing to this level. And but what's funny is it just it kind of happened and then it was over and people are like, wait, what happened? And then we're still learning about it after the fact.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no question. Where do you stand on what what Bobby did with you know, not having a handshake, him blowing everything off? Where do you stand? Are you okay with certain things and not okay with certain things?
Speaker 5: I think then no handshake thing is.
Speaker 13: Probably fine and frankly a good idea. I mean, the coaches probably should have shook But keeping the players away from each other if you really are worried that the chatter is that bad and you just had an altercation on the court, the.
Speaker 5: Last thing you want to do is force.
Speaker 13: Them to be close to each other and pretend to be nice. The getting mad about trash talk and all that on the court is it feels weak to me because I thought that.
Speaker 2: That is part of the game.
Speaker 13: And I said, and I got the impression that that was something that Bobby Hurley did when he was at Duke and he played in the NBA, and trash talk such a big part of that. It felt a little bit like an excuse. The saying he wasn't going to vote for Caleb Love for PAC twelve All Conference or excuse me, Big twelve conference without actually saying his name. That was completely unnecessary, and I wonder if he got any sort of internal what are you doing kind of reaction from administration there. But he's also a coach, that is, he's he's up against it right now, and he hasn't been able to have the success that they were hoping for, especially with a team like this that was supposed to be very talented.
Speaker 5: Injuries have played a big part.
Speaker 13: Of it, because they were nine and two in the non conference when everyone was healthy, but even still, it's frustration leads to certain reactions, and I think that that contributed there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you got to act like the adult.
Speaker 3: You can't expect your kids to act like adults and then you not act like an adult. And that's what I think is going on here. I mean, he's he sits here and he acts like the pendulant child on the sideline, rips his tie off dramatically, okay, and then expects his players to have poise.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I think the players are fine with that.
Speaker 13: Like they know what they're getting into with Bobby and they like that passion and all that means it maybe doesn't manifest the same way for those on the the other side seeing that, and it can be for Arizona fans can be used as a source of having fun to point and laugh.
Speaker 2: Kind of thing.
Speaker 13: But I mean, Sean Miller wasn't like that. But Sean Miller had a lot of animation to him, And you know, compared to Tommy Lloyd, who is not like that, he does a little bit of it that he doesn't kind of go all over the place.
Speaker 5: So maybe it's because it.
Speaker 13: Stands out so much more now compared to Tommy. But I mean, I think that that's never going to go away with Early and as long as the players accept that that's the kind of coach that he is, then so be it a couple of quick things.
Speaker 3: So I tend to agree with you that I wouldn't be surprised if a issu higher ups got with him and said, you know, enough enough of this, because I know you guys wrote somewhere else not where I was writing in the press room, and I heard a lot of chatter from the people who cover him. He says, they're kind of tired of the end takes from him. And he's been there for ten years now and it's just it's getting old. They said, I couldn't tell you who they were because I don't know any of those guys, but you know they're getting tired of his antics one and two. I wonder if Bobby and Tommy have already talked. You know, this says, you know, it's unfortunately a situation. I'm sorry, YadA YadA from either side, you know, from Bobby's side mostly, but Tommy just kind of listening to I understand YadA yeadha.
Speaker 2: Would you agree with that?
Speaker 13: I mean, Tommy always takes the hygrod publicly and to a point to where sometimes we wish that he would be a little bit more outward with.
Speaker 5: This kind of stuff.
Speaker 13: I don't know if there's been any sort of conversation between the sides, maybe closer to when they play in March, because that Senior night at Arizona, that there may be someone reaching out of the other. But from the administration side, I've heard a couple people kind of refer to this as a potential like rich Rod slamming the bottle and knocking it over moment at ASU in twenty seventeen, that seeing the management or the administration seeing something that can go you know, maybe this is the end and we need to start looking elsewhere. It's a new athletic director in gramm Arcini, albeit one that has been within the athletic department.
Speaker 2: For a long time, and Michael Crowe.
Speaker 13: The school president, really doesn't care as much about athletics as some other school presidents like doctor Robbins the former president Arizona did. And maybe looking at it more from an optic standpoint that hey, we've.
Speaker 5: Got this high profile football.
Speaker 13: Team now, but if people notice that the basketball coach is getting attention for the wrong reasons, maybe we don't want to deal with that. So it wouldn't surprise me if they move on from him. That just the question is is that who are you going to get?
Speaker 2: Who is better?
Speaker 13: I mean, ASU has never really been able to sustain any sort of success. You're the second place team in the state on an annual basis, and that's a hard sell for coaches unless they really feel like they can do something to overtake the power. It would be like Kansas State has never really been able to consistently have success when they're going up against Kansas overall because Kansas is always going to be number one.
Speaker 2: There was. I was going to ask you if you want to speculate on his future, but you just did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with you, you know, I completely agree with it feels like he's going to score shirts. Hey, I don't give a crape. Yeah, I'm gonna be done in anyway.
Speaker 2: The uh uh.
Speaker 3: I just you know, Arizona State's got some players. I mean they've gotten they've had players in the past, they just don't seem to put it together.
Speaker 13: Well, what Bobby has done in terms of record and NCAA tournament and all that is very similar to what Herb Sendeck did before him.
Speaker 2: Maybe the major.
Speaker 13: Differences that Herb Sendeck had James Harden come here, and you can't really name like a big time player that Bobby has had. He's had a lot of good players, and he's had he sent guys to the NBA. But it's it's the same kind of thing like that. Even even under Bill Frieder and Rob Evans do they have a year every now and then, it's just a program that has never been able to do that. If they think they can find a coach who can.
Speaker 5: Lift to the next level, then then you you make that decision.
Speaker 13: But I don't think that Asus has been a bad program. They just haven't been able to be better than like they've hit their ceiling and they can't really go past.
Speaker 3: So here's a text I got on Twitter from one of the guys who listen to on the show and kind of reads me, and I'm sure he reads you too, Tommy Lloyd in my opinion. He says Tommy Lloyd should feel obligated to address the Hurley what Harley said about Love, especially the last part where he said you won't vote for Caleb halfway through the season. It was a class list and someone says should uh, albeit trying to address in the media, and I'm thinking, okay, maybe maybe not.
Speaker 13: Well, I do think it's something that will probably get asked of Tommy at his next weekly presser, which would be most likely Friday, after they've come back from BYU ahead of Texas Tech. It's something because it was a personal attack, even if it didn't identify specifically Love, you know who he is talking about, but a personal attack of one of his players by another coach. What he would have to say about that, and Tommy will probably take some form of the high road. He always has. He's just never been one to kind of get into any sort of public fights, especially through quotes and through sound bites or anything to that effect. But I think really the best way that they can address it is just on the court. March second, no excuse me, March fourth is Senior Night, a Tuesday night in Tucson, ASU, coming to town. That's going to be Caleb Love's final game at McHale Center. That's going to be Arizon, this final home game of the season. That's really the way you prove it is just, you know, blow the doors off your opponent and go with that. But in the meantime, you can there's little fun ways that you can just kind of poke fun. I mean, most people probably didn't notice it, but the the Arizona Athletics Twitter account after the game used a handshake emoji with the final score. That's the fun way to kind of to point out, hey, there was no handshake without actually calling anybody out that.
Speaker 2: I love that kind of stuff. I can. Yeah, absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So now they're out with one Hurley and now they're going to bring in another Hurly next year, which should be.
Speaker 2: A lot of fun.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, yeah, this the talk of having a home and home starting at Yukon next year with Dan Hurley, Bobby's older brother, playing out there next season, and then come into Tucson on the following year. It's a great matchup, is that if this ends up happening, and it shows that that Tommy is gonna want to keep having these big games out of conference, even with all the quality teams you play in it. It's got kind of like that Loot feel when the Pac twelve, excuse me, Pac ten was at its best and Loot didn't care. He still wanted to play five to six of these really good teams in the non conference. There's a there's a pretty good chance the Big twelve may only have eighteen conference games next year the way the calendar works, so there's room for more of these high profile games the next two years. They're going to play Alabama in Birmingham next year, so it's looking already like it's going to be a pretty solid schedule.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no question, should be a lot of fun and anything else. Do you like what you're seeing from Caleb now, because you know he's still running hot and cold, but yes, a pretty good game.
Speaker 13: Yeah, he's running hot and cold even and right now he's on a hot streak. He was started one for tending in Siwa Stayton. He's now made eight of his last twelve three pointers. So you know, you ride that wave and you need to keep letting him take the shots. But I think what is most notable for me is even when he's struggling like he was for most of BIA's State, he's not letting it affect his defense. He shut down Curtis Jones, who had scored thirty three against ASU two days before, and.
Speaker 2: Held him to want a one of eleven.
Speaker 13: And he's probably going to be guarding BYU's point guard who's six foot nine tomorrow night and who is the catalyst who drives the entire offense. And if he can continue to play like that on the defensive end, which is something he needs to show he can do to be able to have a shot at a pro career beyond just being a shooter, that that boat's really well for the team. And if he has these moments of hot and cold and he's still playing the defensive side, you can ride with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, thank you, Brian. We can read you at Asy Desert Swarm thanks, I appreciate it. Uh wait, wait, give me a prediction for tomorrow.
Speaker 5: I actually I think Arizona.
Speaker 13: Will lose this game. It's it's a really really tough matchup when you're playing a team that shoots as many threes as BYU does.
Speaker 5: I mean, it wouldn't surprise.
Speaker 2: Me either way.
Speaker 13: But BYU is consider ASU, but they're actually finding the open end, not just throwing the ball up from the perimeter. They shoot like thirty eight percent from three and they take like thirty a game. So if Arizona rotates poorly, which can sometimes happen, there's going to be open guys, and that could be very deadly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't disagree with you.
Speaker 3: I think at some point, not that Arizona's a stumble that they're gonna you know, they're doing really well, so they're gonna run up again.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and this wouldn't be This wouldn't be.
Speaker 2: A bad loss.
Speaker 13: I mean, this is this is a team that is their only home loss is to Texas Tech, which has beaten Arizona, and they've they've with the exception of their game at Houston, they've been competitive in all their road games. It's a tough place to play. They're playing at nine o'clock on a Tuesday on the road, and Arizona's been on the other end of stuff getting those at home, and how difficult that is.
Speaker 5: So with Texas Tech.
Speaker 13: Coming on Saturday, and there's there's so many tough games, they're going to lose a couple and they could lose four or five in the second half and still have a very good conference.
Speaker 3: Before you stay, Mike and by us, I think at one and that point one point, yeah, my favorite by you not surprised at all. Yeah, So okay, so they've even nine and one. We're playing with a lot of confidence. When if we get a couple of losses, do we lose that confidence and it all goes to hell? Or do you think that we've got enough well leadership to carry us to get the confidence again? To your to your point, Mike and Brian, your question two, I think it was Caleb uh. Arizona has had it easy to this point. You you talked about them the second half of the schedule. It is very tough.
Speaker 13: Yes, Arizona's ten opponents combined had a losing conference record, and they have the toughest remaining schedule in terms of conference win loss record. Seven of their remaining ten games are against the other six teams that are competing for the.
Speaker 2: The Big Twelve title.
Speaker 13: That the first half ended up being easier than hoped, than originally thought because West Virginia has tailed off, Cincinnati has been terrible. They definitely had a backloaded schedule to begin with. But they still haven't gone to Baylor, they haven't gone to Iowa State, they haven't gone to Kansas They have Houston at home. They've got so many tough games. As far as the confidence thing, I mean, it's a matter of are they losing these games because it was a good game and they just came a little bit short, or a game where they were completely outmatched. Even the Texas Tech game, they struggled, but they were right into it and then it just fell apart at the end. That was not a sixteen point loss. That was a couple possession that just got out of hand at the end. If they were to lose one of the games that they shouldn't lose, like at Kansas State or at home to Utah something like that, there aren't very many of those. They have a lot of these games that are going to be very, very tough. They're projected to lose five of the last ten based on analytics and all that, and that just shows you out top. I don't think they're going to lose go five and five. I think they probably more like O six and four and finish fifteen and five. If anyone is upset about Arizona being fifteen and five in the Big twelve, then they have unrealistic expectations.
Speaker 3: Oh you know where you want TV you cover, let's.
Speaker 2: Say, on Arizona. Evidence don't know a lot about the data the fan base.
Speaker 6: Do you.
Speaker 13: I mean, there's people that want Tommy fired because Gilbert Arenas's son took a giant check to go to USC Come on, people, just enjoy the ride instead of looking for reasons why it's going to crack.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks, Brian, appreciate it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, thanks guys.
Speaker 3: Let's take a break. I think we're going over so we'll have a little time to take some more calls. You're an Arizona men's basketball fan. You know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now, take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessens from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the men who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 14: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Lemanhnally with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 11: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. FEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably.
Speaker 2: On your schedule.
Speaker 11: With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreeer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday.
Speaker 3: Hey Tucson, Steve Rivera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven to nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home? Want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money, they will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program.
Speaker 2: He has consistently been the.
Speaker 3: Top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson.
Speaker 11: It's time for the Cola Guard Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Paloma Country Club and the Weston La Paloma Resort and Spa.
Speaker 2: Come see some of golf's.
Speaker 11: Greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson Canquisador's helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship golf at its finest.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to.
Speaker 11: Join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and coet So live in concert at Riedo Park.
Speaker 2: The Coli Guard.
Speaker 11: Classic by Exact Sciences benefiting colorectal cancer awareness in Tucson youth Sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by fall Bomb Crowley Investment Group at RBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 7: Streaming live on.
Speaker 1: The Ihearts Radio wise. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back, joining the ball hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: I'm Steve.
Speaker 3: You're Mike one, and we're gonna call already. Thanks, you're on the airline on the ball.
Speaker 2: Who's this?
Speaker 5: What's up?
Speaker 7: Nick?
Speaker 15: Vic?
Speaker 2: What's the word?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 3: We got crazy? Mike already called in, so Vic you're number ten.
Speaker 15: Wow. The one thing I wanted to ask you, guys, and I've read everything and listened to every dang podcast, not enough it's being said about Freeman. I mean this dude basically that.
Speaker 2: Was a soul, right Yeah I guess, so, I guess.
Speaker 15: I mean, and nothing's me. Everybody's talking about Bobby Hurley and not shaking hands when this cat was the one that caused it all and that was like big time.
Speaker 2: How do you?
Speaker 15: I don't even intentional or whatever you want to call it, But not not enough been said about him?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, Ben did?
Speaker 15: Is he mean?
Speaker 3: What yeah, No, that's a good point. I never even thought about that, probably not suspended, just you know, you got what he got fragrant too, I mean the big talk. So today and yesterday and Saturday, is Caleb going to be able to play tomorrow? And by all indications we said, they said yes, so, but you're right, nothing's been said. You know what else is to be said?
Speaker 15: I guess And then yeah, and then I my last little thing. I'll let you go. But Bobby needs to take a page out of Jake Lamata's book, Steve. I'm sure you read it. When they asked Jaclamata, why are you so fierce when you're in there fighting? And he says, well, the guy's hitting me, isn't he? And then they said, well why do you hug him? After he said, well, he stopped hitting me, didn't he. That's I just don't know how to understand that deal right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but well I don't know.
Speaker 5: You know, it was a great game, man, you you you.
Speaker 3: Know a lot of coaches at different levels, you know, the good guns and the bad ones, and you know the ones that get really pissed when they lose. And obviously he didn't lose a whole lot when he was a player and now he's losing a lot and I as a coach, and I'm sure there's frustration in there and he doesn't want to be part of that. But guess what, you got to take the good with the bad. It's just how life is.
Speaker 15: Yeah, you sure do. I I I remember. I'll tell you real quick, those Domingas Lin with basketball rivalries and we have have uh police had sports to get out of there. That was no lie. That was no lie. It was it was something fierce.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: I bet I was gonna I was gonna talk about that with that serious stuff.
Speaker 15: Yes it is, but it was a good game up until the stupid hit. But I I can't figure that part out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's because we don't know the host. Sorry, right, Caleb may have said something and said something that really is He certainly said something, there's no doubt about it that take them off, but enough to get a head butt. You know, I don't know what you would say that you'd get a head.
Speaker 15: Butt and and what you guys have covered it already. But the chirping comments cracked me up, because yeah, everybody does that. I mean, if we're playing, if we're playing flipping pennies. We're chirping at each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, yeah, because that's what competitors do. I mean, come on, you play because you want to be good at what you do, and you're gonna hear it if you did.
Speaker 2: It for not any good.
Speaker 15: Exactly exactly, so I still find about literally games from nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Okay, good to know that, so I won't argue with you.
Speaker 15: Okay, you guys, great short today, Take.
Speaker 2: Care, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: Thanks calling vic Yeah, Victor, Victor not related, Victory there, not related.
Speaker 2: Not related. I'm shocked to Yeah, any more.
Speaker 3: Calls, we can take them five to two. We have about five minutes, all right, So tell me who you got in the super Bowl. We haven't even talked super Bowl. We know, we don't. I know, it's like not a local thing. Yeah, no, local, I have got I don't know. I'm very I'm going to take Kansas City, I think, yeah, only because they pulled rabbits out of their hat too many times this year, and I think they've got one more left in them. Yeah, come on, they're they're good. They're not as good as in the past. But if you're magical or whatever, whether it's refs, if you believe that stuff or not, they just find a way. Maybe you're Yeah, they seem to do you Spagnola. Spagnola comes up with something. Do you believe in destiny?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, sure, maybe there's maybe they are a tiam Desk.
Speaker 2: Momentum. I don't believe they're on a run.
Speaker 3: I will say they're on a run, a nice run. They are in a nice run. They've had a healthy year. The Eagles running game, it's just so good though. I mean, it's like holy their line is opening these holes for Barkley. I wouldn't be surprised if Philadelphia wins it. They gave a good game too the last time they played. Last second. That's down Whateveragnola has I just read, Spagnola has not given up his Spagnola defense has not given up one hundred yard rusher in the in the playoffs, like ever that could happened in the first two carries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know exactly. It's happened. It's happened. Uh yeah, for these guys.
Speaker 3: Should be fun. Should be a fun game. It should be a great game. Yeah, I'm looking forward to an exciting game. I think I would definitely take the over though. What is it forty nine?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Probably yeah, because it could go over in overtime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's gonna I think thirty three thirty, so I think they're going to be scoring some points.
Speaker 2: What do you go?
Speaker 4: I got the comment, uh, coming in and preventing the entire thing in total, I don't want either.
Speaker 2: Come on, Medior, I want the media to win. You have to come.
Speaker 4: If I have to choose, I'm gonna choose the Eagles just as a Broncos fan.
Speaker 2: I can't root for the three people, that's true. Uh, But I mean this should be a really good game.
Speaker 4: You know, last time the Super Bowl was in New Orleans, we got the Niners and the Ravens and ye had the lights go out and yeah.
Speaker 2: Just dramatics usually happen in New Orleans.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's true. We'll see what happens. Should be a fun game Sunday afternoon. I'm excited. I'm excited to eat some good food. I probably won't.
Speaker 2: Where are you going? Church? Function?
Speaker 3: Home home cooking? There, I'll be at true house. Then all right, I get to meet the mom.
Speaker 2: Yeah we go, there, we go.
Speaker 3: Where are you going? Big big party? Phoenix, Phoenix, Phoenix. Watch it up there? Yeah, yeah, you it's your you know, forty thousand foottreen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly with the girls. Oh, you usually have a party. We a lot of times you do.
Speaker 3: I don't think this year we're gonna have a party, but uh, we usually have a coup all those engineer geeks we've never seen a football and take the final game exactly, talk about igorithms.
Speaker 2: Tell you what you should be thinking. How about that commercial? That was pretty pretty nifty, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like we had invited these this one group over man and that's how they worried about is commercials.
Speaker 2: And it's like, yeah, left at halftime.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what did you just say? I didn't say anything. Okay, I didn't say what are you to beat?
Speaker 2: Bleep me? No, I don't I didn't bleed.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that. I can't believe it's butter commercial good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what what do you mean? What's talk about?
Speaker 3: I will tell you that I enjoy the commercials, but not nearly as much as the game.
Speaker 2: No, of course not. Of course, should be fun. Should be fun.
Speaker 3: We'll talk more about it as we get closer to the game on Friday, on Sunday every day. Predictions for tomorrow's basketball. Oh, I'm a little like Brian that they'll lose. It's a tough place to play, tough place to play. There was one that's done that before. Everyone took a pretty good team here with Geniegrisson and all that group, and and they got beat. Was the time when Jean got thrown out for elbowing a guy in the back of the neck, pretty much ending his career. It's tough. So I'll think a lot. I think they'll lose. Yeah, I think they're due for one. Yeah. So they don't guard the three point line very.
Speaker 4: Well, obviously, if everyone will loses tomorrow, they lose to Texas Tech at home?
Speaker 2: Is their worry now? Worry about what?
Speaker 4: What's the worry where this team is headed? No? No, no, should be no.
Speaker 2: But but you know how good how good is this team?
Speaker 3: That's that's the problem. I don't know how good they're do winning. But to to Brian's point, and then I brought it up, they haven't played the toughness of the schedule yet. They haven't played the meat of the schedule. So they played and get through that, Okay, I'll tell you, but you know it's like South Point playing Greenfield and not to that extreme. But you know what I'm saying. You know you're supposed to win these games.
Speaker 4: They're they're about what one in five and big time games. This season, you know, you had the losses to Wisconsin and Duke U c l A. He lost to Texas Tech over that their place. You beat Iowa State, which is good at the time. He beat a ranked Cincinnati team, even a West Virginia team that they're not the same as going and playing at Baylor, at Iowa State, at Kansas.
Speaker 3: I think I agree with you, Mike. They're gonna live and die with Caleb Love. I've said this before, You've been on the show. At some point, at some point, Caleb Glove's got to take over. And I don't care if it's in February, but it definitely has to be in March.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: So the thing is that he can take over the game, not just by making three pointers. I mean, you see him when he makes the three pointers and suddenly it's like energy, energy, energy, and everyone is all into it and everyone goes up to another level. Caleb Love can lead this team without making three or he can bring in this. We saw this over the weekend. He got to the basket with that left hand a lot, a lot. You know, he made some shots even with the right hand. Two I think maybe three of those. But if he can do that to mix them with the three, because he's gonna get his threes, right, But if you can get other ways of scoring, that helps him.
Speaker 2: Like I said, it's not just about him. Here's another thing.
Speaker 3: I think that's even more help from kJ offensively, Yeah, because they're not getting much from him, be getting defense but not often.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I think I think Carter Brian's making up for what kJ is. Yeah, very much.
Speaker 4: And I'll probably talk about this on Wednesday, depending on how the game goes tomorrow. But Carter Bryant is going to be an NBA talent.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it'll be at the end of the season or next I think more likely at the end of the season.
Speaker 3: It'd be premature if he went out this year. He's still too, he's still still yeah, yeah, a good way. Because that's what I'll tell you. I'm interested to see how Walkeett does against some of these other gigs and all he's doing he's been, he's been a monster he has. I mean, god, I just love the way he plays. And not to be mean or whatever, but Townsend, they're playing with one hand behind him. He's not contributed enough.
Speaker 2: Not enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so are playing with four or five guys and he's an important part of it and he's.
Speaker 2: Not contributing enough. So that's what the potential they have.
Speaker 3: Are we ready to go? We're way of it. Okay, thank you one, thank you Mike, thank you for you guys.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow