Speaker 1: Oh he is, folks, it's show Die.
Speaker 2: People say good money to see this movie.
Speaker 3: When they go out to a theater, they want cold sodas, pop popcorn, and no monsters in the protection booth.
Speaker 1: Everyone pretend podcasting isn't boring.
Speaker 4: Got it off.
Speaker 2: You've changed everybody's life. Now everyone is watching.
Speaker 5: I believe Arthur Flexed to be some kind of.
Speaker 1: Mart He's a monster.
Speaker 3: When you exactly what he was.
Speaker 1: Doing, showd witnesses entered to the little man, he's not. He's persons.
Speaker 2: You're Borenna call you Mark or a joker. I'm not speaking to now which one of you is here?
Speaker 1: I'm doing anything for you.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's a little too much.
Speaker 1: Watch?
Speaker 2: You could do anything you want.
Speaker 3: You're joker.
Speaker 1: I don't think we're going to talk any more than an hour, and I know you probably don't want to talk any more than about five minutes about this movie.
Speaker 2: Frankly, I feel very unfair.
Speaker 1: You fucking hated this movie before you even saw it.
Speaker 2: I wanted to give it a shot.
Speaker 1: I don't know how true that is.
Speaker 2: I didn't like Joker. I have a personal beef with Todd Phillips, and I never really watched the Batman cartoons. So I don't know the quote unquote real story of Harley Quinn and Joker. This Joker is just about as obnoxious as Jared Letto, I would think.
Speaker 1: But yeah, maybe I.
Speaker 2: Was laying in wait for this movie and wanting to rip in to it, and luckily it's given me a big opportunity here.
Speaker 1: This movie is going to make it very easy on people to hate. Kind of find this movie fascinating because I don't understand what the hell Todd Phillips was doing. I do understand, at least I have my own headkin and hear of what Todd Phillips was doing. And I think that based on the amount of times Todd Phillips's name shows up on this and I'm talking directed by, written by, those are things that really lead me to believe that a certain thing was going on here this whole time. One might say that the story of Joker is the story of Joker being used as a stand in for certain real people of our times. Is that not what this is? Is this not like an episode of the Culture Cast featuring me the host of the Culture Cast, Christachu, Much to the chagrin of two people and Mike white from the projection booth. That's a weird intro, but we're going with it. It sure was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what the fuck just happened?
Speaker 1: I was just giving you an abruptness that the movie does with the title credits. I want to are we going to be talking about a movie that might be a parable for real people on this episode that's a crossover, because I think that's what this is supposed to be.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to you unpacking that.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 2: This is so within two weeks I have witnessed car crashes on screen. I have to say that Megalopolis is a much more fascinating car crash and one that I will probably be studying, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's an episode in my future of that. I will not be watching this one again, just like I only watched Joker the one time because I just find it so distasteful. And I can understand where you're coming from as far as it's a fascinating failure, but it's not one that I care to dig in too much.
Speaker 1: I actually don't think it's a failure of a movie. I think it's rather successful. I just think it's rather successful at doing something not particularly palatable, but I think that was the point of the first movie. And that's the thing I've I went and rewatched the first movie earlier this year, Okay, about four months ago and so recently that I know. I cataloged it on letterboxed and I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more this time now, primarily because of my own struggles with mental health. And I know that's a big part of the first movie is the character is a mental health struggler big time, and that ends up being Look, I don't know if I needed a movie to relitigate the first movie, to be no pun intended, this movie spends the entire movie relitigating the first movie. But you know what, I love that about this movie, because what happened in the first movie deserves to be re litigated. If what you're going to do is point out the fact that this guy is a complete and utter waste of time, just like Jeffrey Dahmer, just like Ted Bundy. All these dudes are a waste of time and they're not worth idolizing. And the only people that idolize them are the people that are just as bad as they are, or just as broken as they are. Look, we have several characters in this film idolizing Joker, from Harley Quinn played by Lady Gaga to another just inmate guy who we get to the end of the movie. We get to it. But yeah, there's a lot going on here, and I'm not trying to sway your opinion by the end of this podcast might or from it, because I don't think that there's any point, not because I don't think I can do that, but because I understand how unbelievably unpalatable this movie is. Everything about it is pretty unpalatable. But I do think that's the point, and I think that if you can at least observe it that way, it may bear out fruit a little bit more. But I understand in a lot of ways, I want to give a Woking Phoenix mumbling musical anytime of day, because it's a mumbling musical that has Lady Gaga in it, one of the most objectively talented female musicians period of all time. Period. Yes, on this episode of the Culture Cast and the Projection Booth, we're talking about twenty twenty four's Fully ad Joker, Fully I Do. It's directed by Todd Phillips, written by Scott Silver and Todd Phillips based on characters quote unquote from DC as I believe, we're intended to believe, And it does continue the story from the previous Joker film that came out back in twenty nineteen, a more pastoral time, when all we were worried about was this movie making people angry, and the film does once against Joaquin Phoenix as Joker, Lady Gaga plays Harley Quinn. We have Brendan Gleeson in there, Catherine Keener' Zazzi beats, and Steve Coogan stopped by for a literal cup of coffee in the movie. I have no other way of putting it other than glorified cameos, and as I already hinted at, we will be spoiling the movie. The plot of this movie is to relitigate the first movie and give us a look at what happens now that Joker is in jail, as he slips further into his mental delusions about his own importance in the world and whether or not the person and idea that he created has outgrown who he is, or if he ever even mattered to begin with. Mike, I kick it to you spoilers from here on out. I think there's no point in not addressing the spoilers. Would you say, skip, oh.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent? But like I said, it's a car crash, so a lot of people are curious about that. So I'm not going to blame you. If you want to see this wreck feel free, that's great because I want to find meaning in this and.
Speaker 1: It's under a lot of muck intentionally by Todd Phillips.
Speaker 2: I just want to say I don't think that Joaquin Phoenix plays Joker in this movie. I think he plays Arthur Fleck. And that's part of the problem of it is that he's barely Joker in this movie, and he really doesn't go back to that, and when he does go back to that, he does a black sense as Joker.
Speaker 1: Oh I took that as a Southern drawl thing instead, that was the one that was defending evolution. Oh, Clarence Darrow, Yeah, like that, That's what I was hearing. Like, that's what I was hearing. But again I didn't hear the step up and fetch it. I can see it.
Speaker 3: Mister Puddles, Gary Puddles, tell me, sir, is that your God give a name?
Speaker 1: Again. We'll get to that continue though about Joaquin Phoenix playing Arthur Fleck and not Joker.
Speaker 2: First, let's start at the beginning. What do you make of the cartoon intro to this? Because I thought it was an interesting way to start it, and it is. Finally they're telling us what year it is because there's a nineteen eighty three copyright on this Warner brother cartoon Me and My Shadow Starring Joker.
Speaker 1: Which is really funny because that's the name of a song.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And when he's in the backstage, it looks like he's backstage at the whatever the Robert de Niro show, prey Franklin show yep was Murray Franklin. Yeah, he's at the Franklin Theater. As he or his sho shadow are walking out of the dressing room, there are all these musical posters on the wall. This idea of him and his shadow that's going to come through so much of this whole thing of him having these two personalities in them fighting and which one is winning? Is it the Arthur Fleck is a Joker.
Speaker 1: The cartoon at the beginning of the movie is one hundred percent the key through which he watched the movie right, because the whole point of the thing going on at the beginning is, like you said, the Shadow takes over, the Shadow throws him. When the arm war in the dressing room and the Shadow is pretending to be him, and the Shadow goes out and sings the song on the Murray Franklin Show, the Shadow is dressed up like he is. The Shadow is the dark reflection of Joker, which is funny because when he gets out of the taxi, he's just walking. He's walking with a little bit of the style that we see at the end of the last movie, but he's not being violent or when it's the other version of him, it's this violent character that's shooting people, becoming violent with the people he's walking through the hallway. And it's the idea that Arthur Fleck feels like Joker is his dark reflection that is out of control, that he's trying to control. But to what end is what the movie ultimately is asking. The more interesting question I think that the movie is asking is what happens when the thing that you've created by accident not only outlives you and the usefulness that it had to you, but also when it becomes something that is so important to other people that they start to commingle around it and make it their life's purpose and something that they're outside the courthouse, willing to blow it up to get him out. At what point does that become a thing that's a problem for everyone. I think cartoon gets to that idea. The cartoon is almost a microcosm of a goddamn movie really in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you got the three ops, You've got his bare ass, You've got them beating the shit out of them. Yeah, it's definitely, and then him ending with knock knock. It is basically what we're going to see in the rest of this film.
Speaker 1: In a lot of ways, you could take it the literalism of the first movie, right the first movie came out. It's not like there were the radical violence in the streets because of the movie. The movie came out. It's a good performance by Joaquin Phoenix, That's not a question in my mind. Even if you don't like the movie, you can appreciate his performance and the depths and lengths that he goes to to portray the character. Nothing ended up coming up the movie. So it is weird that Todd Phillips would be like, Oh, I'm going to demystify this character, this kind of awful, nihilistic meta character that I've created that kind of speaks to the world right now. I would say, yes, it's Todd Phillips kind of killing the monster. But I also think it's Todd Phillips commenting on us as a society, putting on a pedestal these the awful people. We have seen people obsessed with Jeffrey Dahmer, and we have seen people obsessed with John Wayne Gacy and all these people just like she is, just like Harley Quinn is in this movie, and we've seen this in real life. I just think we've never seen a story told like this before. Superhero Villain. I think that this movie would be really good. It had nothing to do with the Joker. Imagine this movie had nothing to do with comic books or superheroes or anything, and it was just this weird movie about this guy who takes on this persona and does what he does in the first movie, and then the second movie is just talking about how that persona grew out of control and became its own thing to society. Imagine if it was just that without any of the pretense of DC. Might you like this movie more? And I'm just curious because how much of this cuts to it's a superhero thing as well. It's a weird way to repurpose this story because it doesn't really speak at all to any version of the Joker, which is actually perfectly fine by me. This is its own thing, period, all the way to the end. But I'm just curious, like how much of that factors into this for you.
Speaker 2: I think that's the only thing interesting about it, is playing with those tropes and making this such a different thing than we've seen before. We've seen villain and hero origin story so many times, but this one actually was a little bit interesting that with the first movie, I just couldn't abide by all of the homage to Scorsese.
Speaker 5: And just the king of comedy of it all, you mean, and and I just felt like this it just leans so heavily on those this one when there's a shot that's directly from umbrellas chareboard with all of the multicolored umbrellas as they're moving.
Speaker 1: Along, which who would know that's what that's even referencing other than that, to fucking deal, Well, I know you and I know me, but you know what I mean. The musical nature of it all obviously speaks to that as well. But I don't think anyone going to see this for the book part of the Oh Wow, you get it though. I get it. But then again, because I'm your friend and I've heard of that movie because of you, But I can't imagine just someone is going and seeing it. And yeah, Brothers of shareboor Wow, Todd Phillip is such a huge way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then there's a little bit of Taxi Driver when Lady Gaga puts the finger gun to her head, but we get a lot of guns to heads here. Yeah, with this one, it feels like they should maybe I don't know, lean on something because basically this movie, Yeah, there's musical acts in them which could easily have been removed. It's interesting the way that they integrate the music in here. I am absolutely okay with that, even though I have to say that as a singer, Joaquin Phoenix is a really good actor, can't hold that too. Maybe he can. Maybe it's just Arthur Fleck singing rather than Woquing Phenix singing, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Well walk the line, and he did a pretty good job. As Johnny Cash.
Speaker 2: That's true, it is Arthur then, Okay.
Speaker 1: I think this is intentional. I want you to speak to the Todd Phillips of all this because that's the thing that I know you can speak to more than I think pretty much anybody else that we know right as far as what him as a person, and I think some of who he is as a director and the choices as he's made, and I think his reputation and him being his own person, I think would lead me to believe that he did this kind of as a fuck you movie.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's a total troll.
Speaker 1: Total that's more because you've had personal dealings with Todd Phillips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah, he just never impressed me as a human being, just really came off as a prick. And yeah, I feel like he knew how to play the system and he made some movies before, but he just had this precipitous jump up in the ranks of directorhood to go from he made the g. G Allen documentary. I think he produced that Chicken Hawk documentary about men who love boys, and then he made that fake documentary for HBO. But when they found out that it was faked, they pulled it. I think that was just called Fratthause and then yeah, somewhere after that, he just like went up in the ranks and suddenly he is directing star Skiing Hutch and all of these things that are opening in the summer, and road Trip was a big success. Didn't he do like Old School or something too?
Speaker 1: That was the first movie of his that I ever saw. I know nothing about him other than what you've told me. I enjoy Old School affair amount and I enjoy Starsky and Hutch, I think even more. I think my favorite thing that he's done is Starsky and Hutch, and I think a lot of that also goes to Ben Stiller and Owen Wills and being perfectly cast and Snoop dog being the best part of that goddamn movie is Huggy Bear. He hits all the notes perfectly as Huggy Bear, and it's seamless that role was made for Snoop Dogg. If you're gonna make a modernized version of that story, Snoop Dogg was perfect casting. Again, that script, I believe co written by Todd Phillips. Yep, his name's on it again. There are other names on some of these things, but he works on primarily only things he writes, at least as a director. He wrote the first Joker is named on this one. But yeah, I think personally, if you ask me what Todd Phillips's job was here was I got a lot of money to make a movie that I just really wanted to make, and it's just all the way down an unpleasant movie to watch.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a horrible movie to watch.
Speaker 1: But I don't think that there are enough movies like this anymore. I'm talking about as a big budget to two hundred million dollars studio fucking picture, not as a ten million dollar yoyo's making a movie like Megalopolis and this are outliers. Like movies like this don't get made two hundred million dollar bombs. That is a fucking shock in this day and age. This movie making as little money as it made and getting roasted as hard as it's being roasted is shocking because this is the equivalent of the first movie being amazing in the second movie being railroaded. Is one of the worst movies ever made. Outright, this movie's being called one of the worst movies ever made. And I don't think it's that bad.
Speaker 2: Where is the two hundred million dollars going to?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not like this is an outer space epic. There are some special effects. Was it the animeters for that cartoon? Are they raking in all this? Do dough? I don't see the money on screen.
Speaker 1: I think they paid Lady Gaga twenty five million dollars. Uh Gaga was paid twenty in Jaquin Phoenix's paid twelve. So a quarter, almost a quarter of your budget is paid on your two main actors. So let's rephrase the question where did one hundred and sixty million dollars go?
Speaker 2: Was it Brendan Gleeson? Did he just absorb the rest of the budget? Here?
Speaker 1: He's a nasty one in this movie, isn't he? He's great?
Speaker 2: Especially the rape scene. Hey, let's just jump right there. The rape scene one of the worst prison rape scenes that I've seen, probably since Hudsucker Proxy, but probably even worse, because, yeah, you get the guy who's like crying the first night, the fish and everything, and he's gonna get raped. And here you get that nice long moment after the rape where we're just in that close up of Joaquin Phoenix and just the devastation on his face. I'm like, oh, okay, yeah, this so reminds me of the Come and See or like some of these wartime dramas where you're just like, what the fuck am I watching right now? What are you doing to me?
Speaker 1: I thought there was a little bit of one Floor over the Cuckoo's Nest with this movie.
Speaker 2: Oh, very yeah, but I liked that.
Speaker 1: Like about this movie is like it wears that on its sleeve a little bit. And I appreciate that because I don't think that I see that enough personally like these I don't know, I like a dude didn't prison story.
Speaker 2: I've seen it too many times.
Speaker 1: No, it's not for everybody. Hey, I get it that I do understand. But it's the musical of it all that makes it fucking weird, right, Like, it's the music and the musical numbers. You know what this movie reminds me of. In a lot of ways, this movie reminds me of like an old timey like Singing in the Rain musical. There's parts of this movie that are like, they don't make movies like this anymore, And I wonder, let's wind our question back even further. Is the budget just all on the practical shit. It must have been all these sets they were building. When they cut away to the moments of the delusions of Arthur Fleck. That is the best part of the movie. All those fucking scenes of them two singing together and being bizarre and weird, and him playing Joker, waking Phoenix's Joker when they give him six minutes in the movie, should be Joker. He's great as Joker. He was great as Joker in the first movie. But some of this reminds me of The Dark Knight Rises, where it's like, hey, he's like Batman for six minutes in the movie. But that's the point. Like in this movie, I guess he's never really Joker in real life. He's Joker once, like you said with the with the voice, but those delusional musical scenes because they're so well shot. That's said again, like there's a flair for the practicality there, though singing leaves a lot to be desired.
Speaker 2: And then Lady Gaga is so amazing as a singer. There's one moment when they finally are back on the let's call him the Joker steps towards the end of the movie, and of course there's an image that I think is going to be captured where it's him saying please stop singing, as she's still singing, and he's got his hands on her mouth trying to shut her up. She is just standing there and starts to sing, and she just gets higher and higher in her range. I don't even see it take a deep breath or anything. She just starts to sing and gets louder and higher, and the octaves go up, and she just is so talented she can't help herself. But even when we meet her for the first time, when she's singing with this church group or choir group, I should say at the mental institution, I can hear her voice over everybody else. Yes, that's probably mixing, but also I think it's just that she has the best voice in that entire room.
Speaker 1: She is Lady Gaga.
Speaker 2: She is amazing.
Speaker 1: That's and here's the thing I think, ultimately, if we're talking just the objective issues with this movie. Objectively, there is not enough Lady Gaga in this movie. And I'm talking about like when she's playing Harley Quinn in the there's plenty of delusional world Harley Quinn, but she's rarely given anything to do other than sing and to be fair, the Joaquin Phoenix is singing as well, so we're not really building out their characters through the singing because these aren't original musical pieces, which I think, for me is the biggest missed opportunity in this entire is for these musical pieces to not be original their jukebox musical numbers really come on. That for me is the biggest missed opportunity because when they said this was going to be a musical, you know what, we really haven't gotten a superhero musical movie. And we still really haven't because this movie isn't that. This is a superhero jukebox musical, which means they are not original songs. They're hovers of other people songs like Rock of Ages, like Mama Me. But here's the thing, they chose the Great American Songbook. I'm not bemoaning. However, the audience that is this movie is being made for is not going to really have a fucking clue any of these songs, and that is a shame to me. And again because I'm not saying it should have all been like the most recent bullshit hip hop R and B pop nonsense. I'm not saying that, but I feel like they really should have just been like, hey, Lady Gaga or somebody write some original songs for this thing. Really, if you have Lady Gaga and you're paying her twenty million dollars.
Speaker 2: Everything that you liked, I didn't like, and vice versa, because I actually really liked the recontextualization of the older songs and using those especially That's entertainment, Superhero, musical, Doctor Horrible signalong blog.
Speaker 1: Come on, But that's my point. When you write all the songs, there are songs in there that stick with me for a lot longer. And I mean again, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't like them using the songs that they used. It's just for me. I feel like the audio for this movie would have been better served with a little bit more recent music, like maybe music from the eighties even or seven. Like I know that some of the music is from the seventies obviously.
Speaker 2: Oh and even farther it goes back all the way to the fifties and even forties.
Speaker 1: I think that, in my mind that it should have either been a musical from the original musical and nothing else. We're not doing a jukeboxer don't do that at all. I like jukebox musicals fine enough, but I really love an original musical a lot more. Because jutebox musicals are just covering songs. I don't listen to the Rock of Ages version of any of those songs. I'll go listen to the original ones. If there was ever Talking Heads jutebox musical, I'm probably listening to the songs, but I'm not sure that they would be in my rotation, just like I'm not sure Jaquin, Phoenix and Lady gog has versions of any of their songs are going to be in my rotation. There might be one or two. To Love Somebody is pretty good. That musical number is the Great Woe where he just starts getting mad at her upstaging him, which is really funny, and I think, honestly like that's the thing that with Lady Gaga feels like the missed opportunity. So how much do you know about the ending of the movie as it was originally shot?
Speaker 2: Nothing at all. I have not. I knew that the ending of this movie was a discoarded idea from the first movie.
Speaker 1: And you can see it on Twitter as well, that Lady Gaga was supposed to kill Joker on the steps.
Speaker 2: That makes sense, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And take his place, And that makes so much more sense because that's literally what the whole movie is building too. It's fully a du it's it's insanity of two. It's insanity shared by two people, if you want to take it literally, but other than just her being near him. And then by the end of the movie, he takes the makeup off, and in that scene where he's stopped singing, she has the makeup on it. It's so she's taken on the mantle of him. And then when she says goodbye Arthur, I am convinced that's the cut right there where it would have been her killing him, because you can see footage of it online of her killing him or at least her getting arrested on the steps, just her, and that was the original ending, and it would have worked so much better. It makes so much more narrative and thematic sense in terms of the story that they're trying to tell, in terms of even the way they're using that's entertainment. She's upstaging him. That's like her job. Throughout the entire movie, She's making it about herself to the point where she wants to be him and then she kills him to become him. Then you could do a third Joker movie with Lady Gaga in the lead role, and that might actually be an interesting movie, a Harley Quinn jukebox musical featuring the music of Lady Gaga, who also plays Harley Quinn. Actually, because I know some people said, oh, the ending of this movie redeemed the movie, I think the ending of this movie fucking made this movie a little like. People are like, the ending of this movie's wild enough, you need to check the movie out, and I'm like, I don't think so. I think if the ending had been the one of the versions of the ending they shot, I think I would agree because having Lady Gag got kill one of the more iconic versions for many people of the Joker at the end of his movie would be a pretty big moment, right, And to rob the movie of that is a shame.
Speaker 2: Her character is interesting because she this whole thing of that. She's this kind of poor little rich girl fangirl of criminals. She had checked herself into the mental institution and had followed his case and lied to him about how much she liked the TV movie which I keep thinking, Like when they're talking about the shitty TV movie, I'm like, is that the first movie? Is that what we're referring to is the first movie? I don't know that. I thought that would have been Yeah, I thought that would have been kind of clever. Actually a couple of things real quick, just I want to bounce this stuff off of you. First off, when Arthur is getting his med at the very beginning and there's a one of his fellow inmates goes.
Speaker 1: He bit me.
Speaker 2: He didn't bite the guy. I don't know what's going on. And then they even say like, oh, yeah, he bit a guy, and I was like, no, he didn't. I watched that multiple multiple times, and he never bites that guy. Is that the guy who ends up killing him at the end of the movie, Because at first I thought it was going to be the little guy. Well he's not little, but he's like kind of young and innocent and dumb to the guy that he kisses in the yard at prison. But then I think that he's the one who gets killed. When when jokers getting raped, is that right or what outs after the rape scene? I think it is you can hear somebody getting murdered outside of his cell and I want to say, it's that little guy.
Speaker 1: It is so that. Yeah, at the beginning of the movie, that scene, that guy who ends up okay at the end of the movie. We'll talk about the end of the movie in a moment. But the character from the end of the movie is trying to grab him right then and there the first five minutes the movie to do I think to stab him right then and there. I don't know. You see him going for him and then somebody draws him back. It is the character from the end of the movie that's going for him at the beginning of the movie, in the first two minutes of the movie, that guy is going to grab him and do something to him within two seconds of the movie start. I don't know what that's supposed to mean.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not sure either.
Speaker 1: The other than just like this has been there this whole time, and he's just been completely unaware or convincing himself that, like everyone in there is on his side and believes in him, and that's not the case. I love the idea in this movie of watching this guy try to convince himself that the world is on his side and it's not on his side. That they're on the side of this person that he created. They couldn't give a singular shit about him, and that is what factors into the end of the movie. With the character that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: There's that almost parallel scene of Lady Gaga kissing a woman that ended up getting cut out, but I believe that's in the trailer.
Speaker 1: I think so, right, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: A woman that recognizes her while she's going to the courtroom and it looks like she's gonna attack her, and she ends up kissing her instead.
Speaker 1: Before we talk about the ending, and I think the third act of the movie. You mentioned the rape scene, but the audacity of the film because it's not that I didn't read it that way. I did read it as a rape scene. If it was a female character that was happening too, that's how you would read it, right, And I'm assuming that's what it was. But good lord, movie that's pushing the boundaries of good taste. If there is any good taste in this movie at all, it's like trying to ramp itself up and be extreme to what end. This is awful. The world is awful. We get it, and I think that's the moment that breaks the Joker. We cut back to that first movie, the scene in the first movie where he's washing the makeup off of his face, and that's the moment where the Joker is gone because he realizes that there is nothing he can do. It's all a charade, it's all a facade. In reality, he cannot escape and he's fucked.
Speaker 2: You see that guy who was going for him again when Arthur's singing for once in my life in the room. I mean, that was one of the things too, where I kept wondering to myself, are these musical numbers in his head? Are they really happening? I'm not exactly sure. I think the movie kind of wants it to be both ways. The other thing I kept thinking through probably the first half of the movie, actually well through the first hour, I kept thinking that Lady Gaga didn't even exist. I thought she was a figment of his imagination. And even when they break out a out of the sanitarium and stuff like, he ends up getting caught, she runs away, I'm just like, yeah, it feels very very Tyler Durdon esque to me, and I thought that that's what we're doing, And until other people. Wasn't really until Catherine Keener said, oh, you know your little friend, she's out giving interviews, and I was like, oh, okay, so she's a real person. Like just the way that they shot this, I did not think that she actually existed. I mean there's the sex scene and everything, and I'm just like, Oh, he's in a cell just jerking it thinking of Lady Gaga and who doesn't really exist?
Speaker 1: Could she have been a figment of his imagination? Know that there are people that are, like you said, having interviews and all that, but is that in Arthur's head as well? That's a problem with a unreliable narrator movie, which I'll say what this movie reminded me of as well, in terms of we have a deplorable character who did at least some terrible things. Thinks he did more terrible things, but again, some of the terrible stuff he did, we know about some of the terrible stuff he thought he did, but he didn't do. Yeah, like he did some of that, but he didn't do all of it. What is going on? Is he a reliable narrator? How reliable is he? How unreliable is he? Where is the line? I feel like that's very in this movie again, because the whole film is shot from his perspective, especially when we go into these interior in his head scenes. We have that in plenty of old school musicals, where you literally are in the character's mind doing a musical number or they're explaining what happened through a musical number. They don't do this anymore, which I think is the other reason this movie blopped. This movie I think would have benefited from having come out a long time ago, because I think this movie is better suited for an audience in the seventies. This is a very seventies facing movie, just like Joker was, like in the way that it was facing King of Comedy, right, like it's facing the late eighties or late seventies, early eighties, these kinds of movies. That's what it's trying to be, but doing a very weird kind of mishmash of things. But it's wearing what it's inspired by on its sleeves.
Speaker 2: I guess if if he's continuing to rip off Scorsese, this is the New York, New York of it all.
Speaker 1: I have never seen New York.
Speaker 2: There's a very large club of people that have never seen that movie.
Speaker 1: Oh it's like a performance musical.
Speaker 2: Yes, though it's not you know, it's not the typical musical. Let's put it that way. It's more like, yeah, well it's also there. It's diegetic because it's you know, in a club type of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh that was the other thing because when she comes in and they have sex, she's like, oh, yeah, they let me in here, and I'm just like, how did you get in here? This doesn't make any sense that he's in solitary and they just let her in there. So that was another thing. And then when she says that she's pregnant, I'm just like, yeah, no, you're not pregnant, you know. I just you're not. And you're just trying to manipulate him. And that's her whole thing, is manipulating him, and it's him disappointing her constantly. And when he says like, I'm Arthur Fleck, the joker isn't real, you know, I just put on the makeup kind of thing, and like you're saying, like he takes off the makeup and that post rape scene in his mind, he is betraying her in her mind, and I'm just like, yeah, so her murdering him at the end really would have made a lot more sense.
Speaker 1: It would have been the perfect ending to the movie. Straight up.
Speaker 2: I have to tell you, the most harrowing scene for me, even more than the rape scene, is that scene I was mentioning before, when he is dressed up as the Joker and doing the whole courtroom stick when he has Lee Gil as Gary puddles on the stand. That's the most harrowing scene for me, you know, with Lee just giving this incredible performance and he's just like, you know, you're the only one who is ever nice to me. And speaking of betrayal, Arthur betrayed Gary, you know, because he was the only one who was ever nice to him, and then he lives in constant fear that Arthur or somebody else is going to just shoot the poor guy. And I just felt so bad for him. That scene just tore my fucking heart out. And I think that's another reason why I don't like this movie, is because I felt very manipulated at that point too.
Speaker 1: I again, so and this is where I think Todd Phillips is going to the talking about real life people through the metaphor of film, because in the real world, There are people who even your association with them can cause you ire in real life or your feelings towards them should they be outed publicly. There are people out there that will take it upon themselves to go out of their way to make your life miserable just because they don't agree with some binary choice that you've made. And that scene, for me, I think is the best scene in the entire movie, outside of the musical stuff. If we're talking about the musical scenes are their own thing, and I can't address the non musical stuff because I think there's two movies here. There's the musical thing, and then there's a very fucking horrifying character study of someone who is a deeply mentally unwell person who the system has failed at every turn to the point of them having no outlet for anything other than to go and be violent and justify the violence away. And then we get to see this scene which shows, like, no, these people are deeply fucked up, and the worst part about this is not what they've done, but the way it affects everybody around them, because we see the legal character being I'm terrified of you, I'm terrified to live. I have PTSD. Every day, and then we get to see some of the parents of the people that Joker murdered on the train. They don't deserve to die, they're just assholes, but he kills them. And you see the parents of these people in the courtroom ready and willing to kill Arthur Fleck as well, to push themselves further than they probably ever would have thought as human beings. And so I think it's interesting, similarly to something like Zodiac, you get to see the by proxy of how terrible people affect the community and world around them. And in this movie you get to see very much localized within several characters from the last movie I'm Shocked, we get to see Lee Gill again in this movie I'm Shocked. Zazzi beats shows back up. But those are scenes that make this movie for me worth watching because those scenes are horrifying. It's like taking all of the things that we've seen in real life and distilling it down into No. The Joker, if he was a real person, would not be someone anyone would I had Liz. He's a fucking nightmare of a human being. Even when he's not the Joker, he's a nightmare of a human being, let alone when he's the Joker, which is this version of this guy with all of the limitters taken off, all the med limitters and everything else. And that's the thing. In the first movie he says, I stopped taking my meds and I feel better, and it's like, oh no, And we see that in The Joker is the externalization of him without his meds and mental illness. Like this movie is the Joker as mental illness made old. It's the Kafka esque. It's like anthrop They've anthropomorphized that into a real character, which is this face paint that he puts on. The Joker is mental illness. It's almost a horror. If they ever make that Grant Morrison Arkham Asylum graphic novel into a movie, that will be probably the furthest that they go in terms of addressing the Joker as a thing as a stand in for things. But this does a pretty good job in making the Joker character the stand in for the overwhelmingly awful effects of meant of untreated mental health, either by choice or by negligence on the person who it's happening to and the people surrounding them. This movie just treads water, unfortunately, and that's even I'm saying that as much as I enjoyed this movie, which I enjoyed this movie a fair amount the third time I windly watched it, it does tread water because I don't think anybody really wanted to watch a movie that just spends the whole time talking about the last movie. That's a weird thing, right.
Speaker 2: It is. Yeah, it's definitely an interesting way to approach a sequel, to just tear apart or take apart the first movie, and there's you know, you're talking about the DC of it all and some of those little things that they have in here, like oh, after the big explosion, Harvey Dent's face is fucked up. Oh, or you know, after he gets murdered by the other patient, you hear him slice his face open. So is that Heath Ledgers joker. It's like, okay, yeah, I guess. You know, those are the little comic bookie things that you know, screen Rant or some of those other a holes on YouTube will just fall all over themselves to try to tie this into the bigger universe and find all the Easter eggs and things. I'm like, I could give a shit, you know. It's just like it's it's bredon circuses for the masses.
Speaker 1: That and it's funny you mentioned trying to tie it into things. I think this movie would have been better if you had no idea was a Joker movie until he puts the face Painton and then oh my god, it's a Joker movie. Imagine what that first movie would have been if that had been the kind of the final conceit of the movie as oh, this is a Joker thing. Oh my god. But no, to your point, it's like, oh my god, to connect it at the end, or try to connect it. But I don't even that's the thing, Like I didn't. I initially looked at it as, oh my god, it's the connecting it back to the Dark Knight. Nah, it's not that at all. I think it's more just the idea of every universe that has the Joker. There's Batman, and there's Bruce Wayne, and there's Thomas Wayne, and there's Harvey Dent. But here's the thing, this guy was never the Joker. He was a Joker. And that's why this movie's not called the Joker. That's why this movie is just called Joker because, like you mentioned to me yesterday, this guy is not your joker. He's not my joker, he's not anybody's joker. He's just a guy, a really mentally unwell human being who uses the auspices of a Joker esque character to make himself feel less downtrodden and small than he inherently does because the system has, by design or by negligence pushed down on him his entire life, and he's been failed by the system at every turn. That's not the Joker we see again, effectively the Joker throughout this entire movie. Right He's there in the movie in every scene, watching Arthur Fleck, and then he gives a pretty harrowing scene at the end of the movie because it's pretty obvious what's about to happen, but that the actor who's giving the performance at the end of the film and throughout the movie as the unnamed inmate cour Connor's story, is just playing a joker. I think it's interesting that he's throughout the movie watching everything that he is doing because it speaks to this idea of this guy's so pathetic. All he's doing is worried about his outward persona and the way the world views him and the real Joker wouldn't care. The real Joker is so insane and this is my ultimate read at the end of the movie, right, the real Joker is so insane that he looks at this guy and goes, you're taking something that could be actually used for evil, and you're just pissing it away. Like why would I let you piss it away? I'll kill you and then I'll be known, and then someone will come save me from prison, because how does the king? What happens to the king? Right, either the king steps down or the king gets slain, and in this movie you have him murdering him, which will undoubtedly get out to the world because look, Arthur gets saved from prison. Even after he rejects the persona of Joker. He rejects it in front of the court, says he's not the Joker takes responsibility for the murders of everybody, which the Joker would never do, at least not the way he does wistfully and sadly. And the Joker, given the opportunity at the end of the movie, would sit and parrang the jury. He wouldn't just sit there and go I'm sad and pathetic. And so the character at the end of the movie, clearly knows that he sees what happens. And I like that because the actual Joker is fucking insane, that's the point. And the actual Joker isn't sad that he's insane, And that's the problem with this guy. He's sad that he's insane. The real Joker doesn't give a shit. And I guess I don't know Todd Phillips for it was four hundred million dollars worth it to make two trolley ass movies. I wonder because it's a troll job, right. The way this movie ends is actually trolly.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's even like one of those when he comes in and says, Hey, there's somebody here to see you, I'm like, is there really? Or was this just his plan the whole time to get him away?
Speaker 1: You know? But I like that he murdered him at the end of the movie and he gives the monologue of I saw this sad, pathetic clown sitting there, and I'll get you what you've deserved. And I like that line shows up three or four times throughout the movie. That's another reoccurring theme, the motif of getting what you deserve, because Murray supposedly got what he deserved, and then Joker gets what he deserves. Theoretically he gets the death penalty, and then he gets what he deserves. He just gets murdered ahead of time. And he doesn't care, right, I mean, he doesn't care that he's going to die. He says that throughout the movie. You know, he claims early on that was me and I wanted to die, but I don't want to die anymore because I have somebody to live for. And then when it turns out that, just like everything else, Lady Ga Gay is just as big as part of the problem as the rest of the system was, I guess I want to die again again. It's just most people aren't lining up to see a movie like this. I get it. It's downright all the way down in unpleasant movie, and it wallows in its unpleasantness. But I think, for me least, if you can get down with a movie that just wants to sit on the muck of its own making and splash around in it, I think you could do a lot better than this movie. But to your point, I don't think you can do as odd as a jutebox musical superhero movie based on. Ostensibly the most famous villain of all time. DC's number one villain period is the Joker. There's nobody that even comes close because Batman is the number one DC hero, So who's his number one villain? It's the Joker. The Joker is the only character to win an Academy Award twice, and I don't think any superhero movie is ever gonna win another Academy Award at this point, let alone the same character two times portrayed differently by two different people with very different takes on the character. So where does this version of Joker line up for you? Or is this even a conversation to have because he's technically not the Joker anyways.
Speaker 2: That's tough. That's a really tough thing. And the toughest part about Jared Leto's Joeker it feels like most of his performance was on the cutting room floor. So I don't know if we'll ever get that different cut of David Ayer's Suicide Squad. But I really can't judge that performance because I just feel like there's not enough there. I know that movie had a real vendetta against helicopters. You can never take a helicopter in the Suicide Squad World because it will always blow up or get shot out of the sky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm not big on ranking things, but yeah, just as far as the unpleasantness of these characters, they're both they're pretty low. I mean, be me good Caesar Romero or Jack Nicholson or of course the King Keith Ledger. I'm curious where they're going to go with the Batman and that version of Joker, because it sounds like that's who Riddler was talking to you at the very end of that movie.
Speaker 1: Did you see the clip from that movie with Barry Keowhen as Joker? My lord, holy fuck, it's someone watched and by someone we know, our dear friend, Richard Adam's friend, or I guess matt Reeves' is college friend Richard Adam, our dear friend. Yeah, that scene is what it would look like if Matt Reeves directed Silence of the Lambs, because it's pretty much the Anthony Hopkins Clarice's scene, but with Joker and Batman in their respective spots. As it's great, but yeah, that's who he's talking to, right, That's who he's conversing with, is that character? I'm with you I'm more interested in that version of Joker period, but also Barry Keohen's an amazing actor. Joaquin Phoenix is an amazing actor. I may not vibe with all the stuff that he does. He makes some interesting choices, that's for sure. I said I wouldn't say that, but I know some people might. I just think that Joaquin Phoenix's choices sometimes are not ones that a lot of people really like. I think that sometimes he just makes interesting choices, and sometimes those roles don't work. I'm still here as one of those things where's just like, maybe not don't do that, but then you get something like this in the first movie was so well regarded. He's building that positive cred with random people who have never probably even seen a Joaquin Phoenix movie before. Frankly, because a lot of the stuff that he does is not necessarily mainstream either.
Speaker 2: I think he takes a lot of good chances, and I'm very glad that he does what he does. I don't necessarily enjoy it all the time, but more power to him for doing it.
Speaker 1: I think he's an actor with a capital A in a lot of ways. I think he's probably in the same and I wouldn't say he's in the same tier as Daniel da Lewis, but I think he's been that conversation about those kinds of method actors who probably are a lot to be around, but I think it wills out in what they do on screen. I do Joaquin Phoenix's Joker, but I get where you're coming from in terms of these versions and where his is going to end up. And I think again, ultimately your mileage with this movie is going to vary, especially this one, because if you like that first movie, this movie does feel like a fuck you to you if you like the first movie. But if you can understand that the first movie's job was not to elevate this guy and make him a hero. It was more to just show there are people like this in the world and the system has failed them. This movie continues that conversation if you're interested in having, which I understand why plenty of people are not and don't care, because this is the sad, cold reality of what this is like when these things happen. If we watched a James Bond movie and then we had to watch James Bond confront all the families of the guards he killed, Nobody wants to see that. Nobody wants to see Joker confronted by someone who he traumatized because he murdered someone in front of them. No, that's not a scene in a movie that anybody was asking for, but yet here it is, and it's so well done and well acted. At the standout scene in this movie. Yeah, this is a strange movie that seemed almost at odds with its audience and what it thinks its audience wants, if it even cares. I think Todd Phillips just making movies that he wants to make, whatever the fuck that means. Final thoughts on Joker, Mike.
Speaker 2: I wish I had liked it more. Like I said, I was kind of lying and wait for this one. I don't feel that I was bashing this too much. It is going to be interesting to read more about this as we move forward, and I'm curious what kind of takes people are going to have about it, because and I don't mean like hot takes, but I mean like actual like dissection of this and what are some of these meanings. You know, there's a lot of a lot of stuff going on in this movie, and I didn't enjoy it, but other people may What about you, Chris.
Speaker 1: I can completely understand where you're coming from, and I think that your opinion was the one that more people than not are feeling, is that this movie is weird and doesn't work necessarily and is just all over the place, spins its wheels and waste its time and our time and everybody's time collectively. I know that my opinion is the hot take here or the minority, And I wonder if in the long run, if there will be a different version or deleted scenes or whatever will come out that'll help pad the movie out, make it make more sense, or make certain thematic choices make more sense. But like you said, there is a lot going on. This movie has a lot of things that it's trying to do, things that it's trying to say. And I look forward to where this movie goes with its audience, because right now I don't think it's founded, but I think ultimately it will find an audience. It will find people that like it more, people will find it that were turned off by the idea of it initially but end up watching it and enjoying it. And who knows where the life of this movie goes. Because this movie quote is an unmitigated disaster according to one WB exaction, which boy, did you watch Suicide Squad because at least this is a movie. At least this has a plug and no blue lasers in the sky. God, But yeah, it's a DC thing. It sure is. On that note, Mike, where can people find you and the things that you work on when we're not doing some of these crossover episodes on new movies.
Speaker 2: Everything that I do is available at weirdermainmedia dot com, including the projection Booth and all of the other fun things that we work on.
Speaker 1: How about you, Chris can find everything I work on over at a weirdingwoman media dot com, Patreon dot com. Sass Culturecast or Projection Booth gets you access to ten dollars or more a month ranking on Bond where we talk about James Bond with our friend Richard Adam of Richard Adams Pair a normal bookshelf. So that's where you can go to help financially. Otherwise, rate and review either the the projection Booth or the culture cast on iTunes. That's where it helps us the most. Nowhere else helps as much as iTunes. So Mike, thank you so much for inviting me to do this. I don't know if I would have seen the movie.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, so I don't think I would have this kind of forced me to do it.
Speaker 1: And as always, I guess we'll catch on the next episode of either The Culture Cast or The Projection Booth.
Speaker 3: That's life. That's what all the people say. You're riding high in April, shut down in May. But I know I'm gonna change that tune when I'm back on top, back on top in June.
Speaker 4: I said, that's life.
Speaker 1: And as funny as it may.
Speaker 3: Seem, some people get their kicks stopping on a dream. But I don't let it, let it get me down, because this fine old world, it keeps spinning around. I've been a puppet, a paper, a pirate, a poet, upon at a king. I've been and down, and over and out, and I know one thing. Each time am I find myself.
Speaker 4: Flat on my face, I picked.
Speaker 3: Myself up and get back in the raid. That's life, I tell you.
Speaker 1: I can't deny it.
Speaker 3: I thought of quitting baby, but my heart just ain't gonna buy it. And if I didn't think it was worth one single tive, I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly.
Speaker 4: I've been a puffet, a pauper, a pirate, and a poet upon and a king. I've been up and down and over and out, and I know one thing.
Speaker 3: Each time am I find myself out flame, flat on my face.
Speaker 1: I just picked myself up.
Speaker 4: And keep back in the race.
Speaker 1: That's life. That's life. And I care the knife.
Speaker 3: Many times I thought I'd cutting out, but my heart won't fire it.
Speaker 1: But if there's.
Speaker 3: Nothing shaken, calmness here July, I'm gonna roll myself up in a big ball. My my