Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio. All Right, Dan Walkins, thank you very much. We are going to change topics. And there was a news conference yesterday, UH in Washington, which I want to catch you up on because I think it's really important. Eight artificial dies that are that have been used in our foods, in candy and ice cream and soft drinks in jams are by the end of next year, will be eliminated, uh, from not only food supply but also medications. These artificial dies were being in Europe, I guess, many many years ago. UH. And the statistics that Robert F. Kennedy Junior sites, and I assume they're accurate, shows that there's a lot of diseases that we're particularly young kids, are dealing with here in America that either don't exist or exist in the smallest amounts in Europe. Even though obviously our diet is fairly close to what the you know, diet of most European countries are. This news conference was yesterday, and these dyes have no value other than I guess, providing coloration to foods that we eat. Now. Look, I love fruits and vegetables like all of you do. And I assume that fruits and vegetables that we eat have natural color. Apples tend to be red depending upon the type. Obviously oranges. I mean, no one's painting the peel of an orange. I had an orange today. Lovely bananas. They their natural color is yellow. We're not talking about that, but we're talking about are these dyes and they head like these. I guess FD plus C stands for food dye plus color blue number one and two. There's a green number three, a red four, D red forty excuse me, a yellow five and six. And in the coming months, the process will begin to reduce authorization of orange B citrus red number two. So this is used by these companies when they want to make food. And I guess that a lot of them are in cereals. Okay, and we've been eating this junk for years, for years. We have some sound here. This is FDA Commissioner doctor Marty mcmaccuarie, McCurry McCarey. Excuse me, he's been a guest on this show. He is a transplant surgeon, actually the head of the transplant surgeon team at Johns Hopkins. So we're talking about some pretty legitimate people. This was his comment. Yes, these are called synthetic petroleum based food dies cut twenty seven. Please Rob, This is doctor mckein.
Speaker 2: Today, the FDA is taking the following steps. Number one, establishing a national standard and timeline for the food industry to transition from petroleum based food dyes to natural alternatives. Number two, initiating a process to revoke authorization of synthetic food colorings, including those not in production, namely citrus red number two and orange B within the coming weeks. Number three, taking steps to eliminate the remaining six synthetic dies on the market from the US food supply, specifically red dye number forty, yellow dye number five, Yellow dye number six, Blue die number one, Blue die number two, and Green dye number three by the end of next year.
Speaker 1: Doctor mccairy went on to talk about this as a political issue. It's not a Republican or a Democratic or an independent issue. Moms across America have been talking about this for a long time, and ironically, ironically, finally it is the Health and Human Secretary, Robert F. Kennedy Junior in the administration of Donald Trump who is taking this action against these companies. This is cut number thirty. And this is a very important point that McCarry makes.
Speaker 2: If we can get beyond the tribalism in our society rampant in our culture, we will realize that we all want the same things. Republican, Democrat and independent moms showed up in high numbers to vote for President Trump on this very issue that Secretary Kennedy has championed. Moms across America have spoken and they want more honesty and humility from our nation's healthcare leaders.
Speaker 1: I think of all these people who have been in these positions, Republicans and Democrats for years. Look, it's too late for people like me. I grew up eating this junk. You know, if you're over the age of thirty five, you grew up eating this junk. But thank God, finally this junk is going to be taken away from the diet of our children and our grandchildren.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 1: Health and Human Services Secretary Kennedy. Let me just again, he gets a lot, he gets I think all the credit of this. Let's play cut twenty six, please, Rob.
Speaker 4: There's shockingly few studies even on food dies and on all these other industries, all these other ingredients as well, and Jay Bodichara, who is here and who was running on the director of Niage, is now narrowly targeting He's kind of food out added EBS or scientific study. One by one, we can start eliminating with them where they can, where we can't. There's things that will never be able to eliminate, like sugar, and sugar is poison and Americans need to know that it is poisoning us.
Speaker 1: So I just think, I'm I'm very happy, and I don't care if this was done by the Biden administration or Trump forty five or Obama or Bush or whomever. It should have been done years ago. So I say hats off to RFK Junior, and hats off to doctor McCarey uh and and hats off to Donald Trump on this. I'm sure that a lot of companies, big companies, you know, the serial manufacturers, the candy makers. Look, you know, if if if that food, if that, why would you put anything to change the color of something? We ingest if it has no value other than to change the color, they do it so they sell the product. We'll take a break six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty This is one issue that Republicans, Democrats, independence, liberals and conservatives, progressives and libertarians should be able to come together on. If we can't come together on this issue, then we're hopeless as a nation. Let's come together and let's talk about it. If you want to identify what part of the political spectrum of you're on. But this is one that should be celebrated by everyone. This junk never should have been introduced to our foods in the first place. It was. It was introduced, and the regulators stayed asleep, and they were only been woken up in the last few weeks by Bobby Kennedy, Junior, doctor McCarey and Yes, President Donald Trump coming back on Nightside. If you're on Night Side with Dan Ray on wz Boston's news radio. All right, let's keep rolling here, going to go to Sheldon in Sharon, Massachusetts. Sheldon gonna start us off talking about red dyes. Go ahead, Sheldon, I have.
Speaker 5: Some ancient information for you from the nineteen seventies when I worked at Cheeseboro Ponds, I was told that red GUYE number six was only acceptable for use on Maraschino cherries.
Speaker 6: My thoughts on that was it?
Speaker 5: Probably people don't eat very much Marischino cherries, so it was okay.
Speaker 1: So why would they have to put a cherry is going to be read naturally correct?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: So why would they have to or want to put?
Speaker 6: I don't know?
Speaker 1: And what was the company you.
Speaker 6: Were working for, Cheeseborow Ponds?
Speaker 1: What did they make? Are they still in business? Are they a cheese company or something? Or what are they?
Speaker 6: No? No, Cheeseborow is somebody's last name, the chemist's last name?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, they still I've never heard of them, that's fine. Are they still in business?
Speaker 6: You heard of Q tips?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Q Tips baby Gays was there since they made uh tender?
Speaker 1: Okay? So so okay, so so help help me out here. I've just never heard of them. Where they located? I'm just curious, Sheldon.
Speaker 6: They were in Trouble, Connecticut.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I know trouble. Yeah, okay, okay, so they're they're they no longer. They've been absorbed by one of the bigger companies, Eli Lilly, Okay, I got it, Thank you very much. I wish I knew everything that every caller knows, but I'm always, i mean incessantly curious when someone mentions to me something like that. But so they were dealing with cherries, and they were adding a red dye to a cherry to make it more appealing.
Speaker 6: I don't get that some.
Speaker 1: I guess, but and well, look, apples come off of trees, and some of them are are perfectly shaped red apples. Some of them are a little arc differently shaped. What are we supposed to do? Pound these apples and make them all the same color? You know, this, this whole idea of this, this whole idea just bothers me. That's all. Well, Sheldon, I hope that you welcome this as much as I do. Yeah, okay, I don't know what that laugh, but that's okay. He beg you, Sheldon. Appreciate you taking the time to call. Have a great one, good night.
Speaker 6: I have some questions for you.
Speaker 1: Laugh by call anytime. Thanks, Sheldon. Let me go to Lola down over across the country in San Diego. Lola, I suspect that I suspect this is something you've been concerned about, knowing you a little bit for a long time.
Speaker 7: Yes, So it's not just the red dye in the food and in the cereal, I meat Okay, so let me start off saying, allegedly, and in my opinion, the meat has dye in it, the red meat, the ground beeft, there's red dye in there. What about your toothpaste crest? I think it's crest, it's red, white, and green. Where are colors coming from?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That's all great points.
Speaker 7: Okay, yes, yes, okay. And then then I just read that the dyes that are used in tattoos they are not approved by the FDA and they could possibly potentially have lead in them. Yeah, and what about the hair dyes that people are putting red hair? You know, you got to bleach your hair out if you have doc here, and then these dyes, these colors go in here, blue, purple, It goes on and on and on. We shouldn't be eating any food that has any coloring of any kind unless it comes from beats. Beats a red. So you know, if you eat a beat and drop it on your shirt, your shirt turns red.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and I love beets, by the way, they want, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 7: Right, Raspberries are another thing that will stay so natural colors coming from food, that's the way to go. But you know, call me crazy. But you know, I'm I live in California now and I'm you know, the land of fruits and nuts.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're crazy at all. I think you've been on top of this stuff for a long time as always.
Speaker 3: Lol.
Speaker 1: I so appreciate you your loyalty to this program. Thank you so much, Thank you for taking my Thanks very much. So we go next to Robin and Wellesley. Robert, you're gonna maybe end the hour. We'll get to Jennifer right on the other side of the eleven o'clock news.
Speaker 8: Go ahead, Robert, Okay, thanks for bringing up this this topic. And I suspect that the food coloring has been cheap, cheaper than natural coloring is convenience for the manufacturer, and I certainly think it should be removed and replaced by natural alternatives, and such as the ones that your previous color suggested. It's they're not they're not worth the risk. And my gut feeling is they're not worth the risk. And red meat does have coloring, but it's sodium nitrite. You may have heard of it, which he is a which isn't a an a fender that's been used for years to keep to give meat a red color, and it reacts with the the stomach acid to form nitrosa means, which are percentogens.
Speaker 3: So that's what you're for.
Speaker 1: But let me just make a comment here if I can, And again I'm not trying to interrupt you, but look, we've learned that a lot of meat in our diet is not a good thing. Now again, you and I are both on the wrong side of fifty. So at this point, whatever we've ingested and digested over our lifetimes, that's done damage or whatever it's done to all of our internals. Okay, but for young people, if the purpose of the red dye that was ejected into the meat was to make the meat more attractive or palatable, that's wrong for two reasons. If they're making something more attractive or palatable to eat, and it's at the end of the day, something that's not good to eat a lot of. I mean, it's much better to eat chicken and fish than it is to eat meat. So not only are they deceiving us about the real color of the product, but they're also inducing us to eat more of a product that if you eat a lot of this meat and the events gonna come back and hurt you. Am I right on that or wrong in your opinion.
Speaker 3: You're saying, but don't give up on adults and the elderly, because there's hope for us too, and especially in the case of nitrustle meanings, because I first can have a failure media effect. So it's good to get those out and hopefully you'll be on the agenda at some point.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, It's like, look, if I have a friend of mine who's ninety years old and says they want to start to exercise a little bit to get some muscle tone, of course you do that, but realistically, you get to a certain age and whatever damage has been done. I'm thinking about my children and my grandchild Grood children, That's what I'm thinking about, and keep that lap out of there, out of their diets, and maybe they won't deal with a lot of these issues that we seem to have come up with in recent years. Robert, I got you in before the news, so I got to let you go. But as all always appreciate your loyalty to Night's side. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All Right, we are going to continue on this. I want to celebrate this, I really do, and let's give credit where credit is due all the politicians who have been there forever. Okay uh, it took our FK Junior, a doctor named Marty McCarey, and Donald Trump in his second administration to accomplish this. You have the numbers, give us a call. We'll be right back after eleven o'clock news. I want to talk about this because this is really important, particularly if you have kids or grandkids coming back on Nightside