Speaker 1: William and Susan Travis have escaped the authoritarian, war ravaged world of twenty one fifty five, seeking anonymity in mid century Mexico, but agents from their own time are searching for them, and the past may offer less safety than they hoped. From NBC This Is Dimension X, episode eight to the Future, first heard on May twenty seventh, nineteen fifty. Ray Bradbury's story was adapted for radio by Ernest Kinoy, with John Larkin and Jan Minor as the fugitive couple, and now the original broadcast.
Speaker 2: Adventures in Time and Space told in Future tenths.
Speaker 3: Time is an interesting phenomenon, a ticking clock, the running sands of an hour glass. All these have captured the imagination of men. But time is more. It exists now and then and in the future. Suppose we are in the year nineteen fifty, coexistent in time, maybe worlds we have never seen, the worlds of the past and of the future. The year was nineteen fifty. It was a spring night in Mexico for yester time. The fireworks shot up into the clear, dark sky, and a paper machet bull ran about the plaza, chasing boys and laughing men.
Speaker 4: Mister and missus.
Speaker 3: William Travis stood on the edge of the yelling crowd, smiling.
Speaker 5: What is it, Dell? What do they say?
Speaker 4: They cheering for the bull? Here comes? Is good, isn't it?
Speaker 6: I wonder how they ricked up the carr feeling fund people.
Speaker 5: I've never enjoyed myself so much in my life.
Speaker 4: It's terrific. How they propabull a bottle the door. We'll go on, I mean not soon. Don't worry. I'm enough travelers checks for a lifetime.
Speaker 6: Relax.
Speaker 5: But suppose they find us, get it?
Speaker 4: They haven't a chance.
Speaker 5: I suppose they do. Suppose they take us back.
Speaker 4: I'll never find us. Now related enjoy yourself?
Speaker 5: Oh it could only less.
Speaker 4: Come on, don let's get out of the crowd. I think you'll need a drink, all right, let's joy a something different this time.
Speaker 5: I want to try every drink there is.
Speaker 6: In the world, because don't worry about them.
Speaker 4: There's no rush. But let me time out. Now there's a table over there, Bill m what's a many?
Speaker 5: Don't don't look right away, but over your left shoulder. Life by the end of the bar, that, ma'am.
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 5: I saw him this morning in the plaza.
Speaker 6: Well, let me take it easy.
Speaker 4: The tunnel is full of tourists.
Speaker 5: He was at warres in Tasco.
Speaker 4: Bill, I'm afraid I don't stare at him.
Speaker 5: Come on, I know it's the same man. He was wearing the same white.
Speaker 4: Suitit down suit, all right, not come on, dear, smile at natural Bill.
Speaker 5: He's been following us. He's a searcher.
Speaker 6: I know he is.
Speaker 4: Wyatt. Oh boy, here boy.
Speaker 7: See Benedictine and Brandy too.
Speaker 5: You see see Senor he's watching us.
Speaker 7: Bill, or you'll quitn't worrying down? And the chances are one in a thousand that they found us. Probably it's just a coincidence.
Speaker 5: Hi, I want to lie down. I think I'm going to be sick.
Speaker 7: Susan, hang on, will you? If he is looking for us, we can't run out. What's he doing now?
Speaker 5: He stopped a waiter. He's asking something.
Speaker 4: He may just want to drink, Bill.
Speaker 5: I can't stand it. I've got to go upstairs and write down.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, as soon as we finish our drinks. What's he doing now?
Speaker 5: Well, he's nodding at me as if he knows me, and he's smiling. Bill, he's coming over here.
Speaker 7: I watch yourself. We've got to go right on in front of him. That's what he is, what we think he is. He won't suspect we got to come on. So I said to David, Dave, that's ridiculous. You know that the thing is that is never going to say, Kristen, what you.
Speaker 4: Did not pull up your pants leg when you said don oh.
Speaker 7: I'm afraid you have the wrong person. My name isn't Chris Chris ten No, I'm William Travis. I don't see what my pants leg has got to do with it.
Speaker 8: Mind if I said, well, yes, everyone nowadays pulls up his pants leg when he sits down like this keeps the trousers from bagging at the knees.
Speaker 4: But of course, if you're not used to this style of blow, I see here. We don't know you. We don't.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, I thought I knew you. Look, this is our table, if you don't mind me. I'm looking for two friends of mine, a man and his wife, very much like you. The man is an atomic scientist, the wife a bacteriologist. Very important people. They work on government business. Just what are you talking about when I find my friends going to take.
Speaker 4: Them home with me.
Speaker 7: Look here, mister Simms, that will do for not all right, Sims, I understand that you thought you knew us. You can see you're mistaken. How if you'll excuse us, My wife and I were just going up to our room. We have to make an early start in the morning.
Speaker 4: Going for a trip Appulco PABs love never mind where we're going.
Speaker 8: Yes, of course you don't like crowds tourists. I'd probably like to get off the beaten path. You know I've got a vacation folder here that might interest you.
Speaker 4: They'll let's go wait.
Speaker 8: Put out by an outfit that calls itself Travel in Time Incorporated, Travel in Time, Yes, they've.
Speaker 4: Come up with a rather intriguing idea.
Speaker 8: Would you like to actually witness the burning room sail with Columbus in fourteen hundred and ninety two on his voyage of discovery to America, meet Cleopatron? Then why not take your vacation in time as well as in place. But perhaps you've seen this leaflet before? Of course not, then you'll be interested in hearing the rest Travel and Time Incorporate. It can cost you you put you in the crowd at any place and time and history. Lord, we guarantee to teach you any language you need. To move freely in any year without risk of detection this summer, to escape from the worries of our modern world, take your vacation entirele.
Speaker 4: That's impossible, of course.
Speaker 8: Ah, Think what it would mean, A chance to escape all the tensions of an unpleasant rite.
Speaker 4: War, insecurity, fear sins.
Speaker 8: I suppose you were a scientist working on a dangerous bomb project.
Speaker 4: Oh you were, missus Travis.
Speaker 8: Suppose you were a bacteriologist working on disease cultures, and.
Speaker 4: You had a chance to escape all that. To take a vacation two hundred years in the past.
Speaker 8: Would be wonderful, wouldn't it, escape to a more peaceful world, a trip back to nineteen and fifty nineteen fifty.
Speaker 4: But you said a vacation in the past, so I did.
Speaker 8: But you see, nineteen fifty is the past if you come from the year twenty one fifty.
Speaker 5: Five, twenty five, terrible.
Speaker 8: Times, most unpleasant, the war, raging and atomic bacteriological war, terrible times with none of the little comforts we enjoy today, like this fine havana cigar.
Speaker 6: Bill.
Speaker 5: I want to go upstairs I want to lie down.
Speaker 8: If you were living then, think of how wonderful it would be to take a vacation in time back to now.
Speaker 4: You're crazy. I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 8: Suppose a young couple like yourselves took a trip to nineteen hundred and fifty didn't want to come back. You know what would happen. The government sends us search a back to look for them. This is all fantastic. Nurser such a.
Speaker 9: Finds them and brings them back. Do you think I'll find my two friends? Mister Travill, Please take me upstairs. I don't feel well.
Speaker 4: It's the lady feeling a bit sake. Oh for Jerry, drink senor well? Can we drink a toast to twenty one fifty five? To the future? All right? Inside? Quick?
Speaker 5: Bill? What are you doing?
Speaker 4: Shoving a chair and the door?
Speaker 5: He knows he has been following us, Bill, he's a.
Speaker 7: Search you keep quiet soon. I want to think they'll take us back. That isn't over yet.
Speaker 4: Oh, got a headache.
Speaker 5: I'll get you in aspirin. What will they do to us?
Speaker 7: I don't know what they'll do to us. Something slipped, Something must have slipped so careful. The searchers are trained to watch for detail, things like not pulling up my trousers. I started him thinking, there is a man who isn't used to ancient clothes.
Speaker 4: Could kill myself of giving it away. It was my walk.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Bill. I won't go back.
Speaker 5: I won't go on filling tubes with typhoid and bubonic play.
Speaker 4: Take it easy.
Speaker 5: There must be some way we don't have to go back to twenty one fifty five, do we the.
Speaker 7: Nervous that's Sims sitting there looking us up and down like animals, smoking those stinking cigars.
Speaker 5: How I first noticed him in Tasco, he had four bottles of liqueurs and a pile of chocolate.
Speaker 7: Well he still hasn't gotten owhere that first greedy hunger. We've got to look out for that. So it's the sure sign of somebody from the future trying to make up for a lifetime of shortage is by stuffing themselves sick.
Speaker 4: Remember our first.
Speaker 5: Night, Bill, I can't stand it. We've got to get out of here.
Speaker 4: What are you doing, Packy getting this suitcase out? That's no use.
Speaker 5: You mean we can get to act a polka by morning?
Speaker 4: Do you think he's watching us.
Speaker 5: We could get away.
Speaker 7: No, No, we've got to sit tight. We've got to wait right here for a break. I don't know what, but something has got to break.
Speaker 5: Break.
Speaker 7: No, No, maybe he isn't sure of us yet. Maybe we can still figure out some way to escape. Come on, now, we better try to get some sleep.
Speaker 5: No, Nah, I won't go back security police.
Speaker 7: The bomb the ball was full, No matter. Soon, wake up where we Bill, I'll carry down? Honey, you were dreaming now? It's all right, Bill?
Speaker 5: Where are we?
Speaker 4: I was still in nineteen thirty? It's all right, I must have.
Speaker 5: It was awful, Bill, Bill. There was an explosion, and terrible explosion in my hand, burned and wrinkled, and the building's broke.
Speaker 6: Bill.
Speaker 5: Then we won't go back there? Will we ever go to sleep?
Speaker 4: It's all right. We're in Mexico, nineteen fifty and we're going to stay here. Yeah. Soon.
Speaker 7: I've been lying awake here thinking that may be that he's still testing us, but he's not absolutely certain. That may be why he hasn't moved.
Speaker 5: Maybe he's just playing with us.
Speaker 4: Yes, maybe I wouldn't put that past him. Needed he's got all the time in the world.
Speaker 7: He can stay here as long as he likes, then bring us back to the future sixty seconds after we left it.
Speaker 5: Hey, they can't make a scene, can they. They don't dare come out in the open.
Speaker 4: No, No, that might change the future. I're afraid of that.
Speaker 5: If we could only tell somebody ask for help, I sue.
Speaker 4: You know we can't.
Speaker 7: That's why we had to submit to the psychological block treatment before they okayed our vacation. We couldn't tell if we tried. The block is too strong.
Speaker 5: Maybe we can break it down.
Speaker 7: And what if we did? Who'd believe a crazy story like us? Who would believe that we come from twenty one to fifty five? No, sir, that would do no good.
Speaker 4: But this is important. They have to get us alone, to put us in the time machine, to send us back.
Speaker 5: Then that's it. We'll never be alone. It's still fester time. It'll be easy to stay in the crosses.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's our only chance. We must not let him get us alone. He won't get us back to that war in that insane world of it.
Speaker 5: Bill, it could be the room clerk at three in the morning.
Speaker 4: I'm better answering.
Speaker 5: No, don't build, don't.
Speaker 4: I've got to hello, hello, mister Travis. What is the idea of this? It's three in the morning.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, I just.
Speaker 4: Wanted to remind you the rabbits may hide at the far the fox come all was fine?
Speaker 5: What was it?
Speaker 4: Bill?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Never mind, come on, let's get some sleep.
Speaker 6: Why we can, and when there's this in yours?
Speaker 10: In your good morning, senor as you are spending pleasant days in my hotel.
Speaker 4: Yes, the time is the best.
Speaker 5: It's been lovely.
Speaker 4: Special table is already will breaks all fine?
Speaker 6: Wait la hotel.
Speaker 4: Hotels? What is all that rackle? Great excitement? Very great? What is it?
Speaker 6: They coming?
Speaker 10: The four trucks and innumerable automobiles a motion picture company from Hollywood?
Speaker 4: Or what are they doing down here? They make pictures? Our fies before the background.
Speaker 10: We have a very beautiful town. Beautiful, very beautiful. That that that fat man, the one with the most colorful shirt. He is the chief the lyric hire, the manager of the adobe.
Speaker 6: Flea coming singor coming you will excuse me.
Speaker 4: I hope that they really satisfactory, coming to your coming. So this is a break. That movie comes. He will draw crowns and that helps.
Speaker 5: When can we leave them?
Speaker 4: Not today?
Speaker 7: Be sure, then it'd be easy to catch us above on the road. You better stay and try to lull sense.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's under the line. Chow faster layout. You can't do anything now and then of these actors coming in.
Speaker 10: Okay, follow me many, Hey, glory, you sit next to paper and mat.
Speaker 4: Make sure nobody munks for the trucks of the gear right here.
Speaker 5: We have to eat this crummyacher.
Speaker 4: Cheer up, sweetie, your mere presence makes this chase. Was in the truck, roll in the one.
Speaker 5: Not necessarily in the morning, Joe, I couldn't stop.
Speaker 4: Maybe I could hire two of them. I could say it was a joke.
Speaker 7: Why we could wrest them in our clothes, have them drive off in our car sometimes when SAMs couldn't see their faces. With that get us well with him off on their troy. We might make it to Mexico City. It take years to find us there.
Speaker 5: That movie man's coming north here.
Speaker 8: Oh excuse me, You folks are Americans, aren't you? Yes, that's right boy. Am I glad to see you. Yeah, I'm so sick of hearing Spanish.
Speaker 4: I could kiss you. Hey, come on overneath with us. Huh Oh, well, I don't think we should intrude and.
Speaker 8: Come on, come on, Misery loves Company. I'm Misery and that's the company. We're from Hollywood. Yes, so I understand.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, and the boy would I like to be there?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 8: We're down here for some preliminary shots and some technically clam bake and a real turkey stinker room. Oh that's too bad, but we've got an expense. That's a lovely thing. Oh I'm Joe Melton. I'm the unit director. Well, I'm William Travis. This is my wife, Susan mutual Come over, kids, join the party, cheer us up only no to Molly's I burned out three kidneys on too, Molly, since I came.
Speaker 4: Over the border. Hey am I funny?
Speaker 5: Oh wonderful?
Speaker 4: Oh come on over, Hey, Kenny.
Speaker 3: I got de b here.
Speaker 8: Moments mister Travis, I thought you might be breakfasting with me alone.
Speaker 4: Sorry. Oh no, I got him first. Mac. You want to join us?
Speaker 8: No, No, no, I've already ordered, mister Travis. I think you'd better talk with me now here is this guy giving you trouble?
Speaker 4: It's all right. Well you say the word, I'll have Max pitch him out on his head. No, no, no, no, it's all right. We'll be right over. Mister Melton.
Speaker 7: We'll talk to mister Simmons, mister Maltin sort of keep an eye on us, after all, you found us first.
Speaker 4: Sure, well, come on over soon. So down, mister Travis. I hope you slept well, did you.
Speaker 8: I'm not used to spring mattresses, but there are compensations. I stayed up half the night trying new cigarettes and foods, a whole new spectrum of sensation.
Speaker 5: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Still acting?
Speaker 11: Eh?
Speaker 8: But it's no use. You can't stay in crowds all the time. I'll get you alone soon enough. An immensely patient Let's come to the point. It took me a month to trace you down and be sure of you. If you come with me quietly, I might be able to get you off with no punishment, if you agree to go back to work on the bacteria bar.
Speaker 4: We don't know what you're talking and stop.
Speaker 8: Here's your intelligence. You know we can't let you get away with this escape. Other people in the year twenty one to fifty five might get the same idea and do the same.
Speaker 7: We need people to fight your war. It's all right, Susan. We can talk on his terms. Now he's got us. We can't escape at last.
Speaker 8: Really, you've both been incredibly romantic, running away from your.
Speaker 5: Responsibilities, running away from horror nonsense.
Speaker 4: Only a war only with half the world dead, the other half dying.
Speaker 8: Yes, but we can't have you escaping here while we drop off a cliff dying. People love to know that others died with it it up.
Speaker 4: We're waiting on you. The longer you keep me waiting, the harder it will go on you. What do you mean We need you on that bomb project, return now and no torture. Torture, yes, you see later will.
Speaker 8: Force you to work, and after you finish the bomb, we'll try a number of complicated new devices on you. You say you can't escape, We have all the time in the world here in nineteen fifty Simms.
Speaker 4: I'll make a deal with you.
Speaker 7: I'll come back now if my wife stays here alive, safe away from that wall bills will Simms.
Speaker 4: You need me for that bomb.
Speaker 8: You can duplicate her work. It exceeds my authority. But all right, meet me in the plaza ten minutes. I'll pick you up in the car, but we'll drive out into the country to some deserted spots and I'll have the time travel machine pick us up.
Speaker 4: Bill, I won't you don't argue, so it's settled. It good. I'll meet you in the plaza in ten minutes. Your wife may stay as long as you wish to. All right, Sims, it's the deal. Don't try anything, not Travis. I know when I'm licked. We just want a few minutes to say goodbye. I'll be seeing you then.
Speaker 5: Bill. I won't let you do it.
Speaker 4: I won't like you, Susan going to tell the truth.
Speaker 5: I'm going to get help.
Speaker 4: You can't the psychological blocks.
Speaker 5: The last chance.
Speaker 4: Aren't you two going to join us?
Speaker 5: I thought I've got something to tell you, and you've got to believe me.
Speaker 4: It won't worry to try. Go ahead, kids, Philly, You've.
Speaker 5: Got to understand. You see we really oh Bill. In my head, I can't think but.
Speaker 4: That rama and they can't work. Soon the block.
Speaker 8: I'm strong and we better get the car. Someone crying our breakfast. No type of people to cry. What in the world is a good looking kid like you find a cry about?
Speaker 5: Philip. I won't let you do it.
Speaker 4: Don't make it harder, So we go back with you.
Speaker 5: We'll get through some way.
Speaker 7: You think I'm gonna let you go back to that war, so please stop. We haven't got much time.
Speaker 5: It was so wonderful you.
Speaker 4: Bill smoking those cigars of his, waiting for us.
Speaker 5: There must be some way somewhere that we can both stay here.
Speaker 4: Maybe there is.
Speaker 5: Now, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 4: Hang on, so and Doc when I tell you no, no, Bill, you're heading right for him. I'm gonna get either of us now, my dogs dogs, Bill, Bill, It's all right, it's all over. Now. This is the mayor.
Speaker 12: Your husband has been officially clear in this most unfortunate affair.
Speaker 4: He's obvious. This senor seems died of an unavoidable.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, of course, Joe Senor. Will they want to see you again?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I'm clear.
Speaker 7: I lost control of the car. That's the way it stands, soe. I hated to kill him. I never wanted to do anything like that in my life.
Speaker 5: Where will we go now, Mexico City.
Speaker 4: Well, the car is in the repair shop and won't be ready to fall, and then we'll get out of here. Hey there, Travis, why.
Speaker 5: It's the movie man boy? He was very good to me and they had you in there.
Speaker 4: Hey, I heard what happened. They sprung you.
Speaker 5: It was an accident.
Speaker 8: I was lucky you didn't get hurt yourselves. Everything okay, now, yes, yes, I think so that's fine. But you both look a little rocky. So you want to get your mind off your troubles. We're through for the day. Clouds fouled up our shooting schedule, so we're gonna put a header on it up at the hotel.
Speaker 5: I don't think we'd better.
Speaker 4: You've got to wait your cars fixed, don't you. Oh, come on up.
Speaker 8: It'll do you good to relax or get your mind off what's happened. Glorie is cracking the ice. Now, well, maybe we will join you. I've got to go check up on the car, and then.
Speaker 4: Don't miss the party, kiddies. We'll see you upstairs. Yeah, I don't think we come on, honey. We've got the break now. SIMS is dead.
Speaker 7: Before they can put another searcher on our trail, we'll have time to make a clean ghetto, so know, and what you need is a little excitement.
Speaker 4: We rate a celebration, honey, right.
Speaker 5: I guess it would be nice to I'm why sure We'll go up.
Speaker 7: To Melton's room, have a couple of drinks in a few laps. Honey, it's all over.
Speaker 4: We can relax. Wow. Well, well, kitty, we thought we joined you. Mister.
Speaker 8: Oh great, great, call me Joe. He Gloria, yank another cork. We got company. Thank you, kids, rate a drink. That was a pretty messy business. But it's all over now. Yes, it's all over as well. It's time to unlax chemical house money, thank you? Hey, hey, quiet everybody? What what how about a toast to our guess?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Sure, all right to a very beautiful lady. Lovely enough for the movies?
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 8: I'm not kidding. That's why I came over to you in the first place. I might even give you a test. I mean it money, you're pretty nice. I could make you a movie.
Speaker 5: S and take me to Hollywood.
Speaker 4: Well, at least did it get us out of Mexico?
Speaker 5: You're not serious?
Speaker 4: Sure, I am, Gloria. How about a refilm.
Speaker 5: It sounds wonderful, doesn't it that?
Speaker 4: Yes, Los Angele is a pretty crowded city, isn't it crowded? Wait till you see the sunset verse.
Speaker 5: You don't really think I could be an actor. You don't have to cheer me up anymore. I'm feeling wonderful now.
Speaker 4: No, I'm serious. I think you'd be great.
Speaker 8: I want to do a suspense story, sort of a war story, you know, Gloria Port, mister Travis Meller Glass, that suspense story, yes, dear, Yes, a story about a man and a wife who live in a little house.
Speaker 4: Now I'm just dead living as you understand. Well, sure, go on. There's a war on see, a terrible war. You see. They live in the year twenty one fifty five.
Speaker 8: Ow, here's the gimmick. They escape into the past and they kill a man who follows them to bring them back. Laurie Honey pot get mister Travis mellerglassen Well, So this couple takes refuge with a group of movie people. Safety in numbers, they figure. But the story goes on. This couple is terribly important for a new project. Let's call it the bacteria bomb. So the searchers figure out a way that they can get them alone in a hotel room.
Speaker 4: Shove a chair under the doorknop next to me. You see.
Speaker 8: The workers searchers may work alone or in groups. So there's one of them is killed. The rest carry on. Don't you think that would make a wonderful picture, Susan, don't you Bill?
Speaker 4: You're not gonna get a smelt and stands down with that gun down? Travis, who is it?
Speaker 3: Grant that gun?
Speaker 4: Max? There, make first, but the.
Speaker 8: Mastering arts.
Speaker 4: Let's get going. He'll break down our door in a minute. Max, get ready to travel.
Speaker 8: Take a good look, better, Travis, take a good look at nineteen fifty.
Speaker 4: You won't be seeing anymore through the switch. All right, one, break down the door?
Speaker 6: Where are they?
Speaker 4: I was at the door. I heard them inside?
Speaker 6: God windows.
Speaker 9: Do they.
Speaker 12: Iron bars around this thorn? But what happened to them? One and just disappeared? All of the newest pay general right one trail later, Senor, I think you'd better send for the priest and Hollywood.
Speaker 6: Later later.
Speaker 4: Just disappears.
Speaker 12: Look here in the closet, the bottles home pres and bortles shut, absent tequila, turkey, cigarettes and.
Speaker 4: Boxes a pure of any cigars. These crazy americanus. Why should anyone leave all these guys? What?
Speaker 10: Never question providence? There is enough here to last us both for a month. What I think we can look forward to a most happy future.
Speaker 2: You have just heard another adventure into the unknown world of the future, the world of.
Speaker 3: Im Now about next week. Suppose that you were a private detective and into your office walked a strange looking client. Would you believe him if he told you that there was a Martian embassy hidden somewhere in New York where spies from the Martian planet were preparing for the invasion of Earth. We'll tell you about it next week.
Speaker 11: The night's adventure in Dimension X was the Ray Bradbury story To the Future, as adapted for radio by Ernest Cannoy. John Larkin was heard as Bill and Jan Minor as Susan. Your narrator was Norman Rose. Music by Albert Berman engineer Don Abbott. Dimension X is produced by Van Woodward and directed by Edward King. Tomorrow, It's high Adventure, now its Truth or Consequences on NBC.
Speaker 1: Dimention X concludes with to the Future. Good evening and thank you for joining us. Follow Old Time Sci Fi Radio for more classic science fiction broadcasts.