Speaker 1: Welcome to Destiny. Now here's your host, Cliff Dunning. Hey, it's a little late, but happy Autumn Equinox. We are now officially into the Actually we're in autumn, and that means that the days are going to start getting shorter, and it's also a time for me to do my week long fast. I do a I try to do five day fast four times a year, and I was able to do four or yeah, I did four days last for the beginning of summer, and then the beginning of spring I did. I think I did five days, So it's getting easier. You know, it's not easy to just drink fluids for especially when you're working for a week and you have For those of you who haven't fasted, one day is not a problem. When you start getting into three and four days, your body's like, okay, we're going to shut down and we are going to start eliminating problem cells and disease processes that are going on, and your body actually goes into a healing mode. And I've had days where I have a fever because my body's heating up and burning things out. And you know, we're going to have for our Biohacking Basic series we're going to have an authority on fasting for wellness. In fact, this gentleman has a clinic in Santa Rosa, which is north of me. I'm here in the San Francisco Bay area. Santa Rosa is about forty five miles north of me, and this is a healing clinic where they actually take people who want to regain their health. Some people want to regain their immune system. Some people may be ill, and if they have a real hip doctor, they're going to a fasting clinic to be supervised for a wellness. Now, our ancestors use fasting quite regularly, and the indigenous people used it quite regularly when they weren't feeling well, and it was a form of repair, body repair and a way to boost the immunity. And we're going to learn all about this, like I said, when we have this expert on in October, fasting expert. And by the way, I mentioned the biohacking basics. We also have a functioning medicine allopath and an aging person. And for those of you who are not familiar with functioning medicine, this is a new brand of allopathy which I hope begins to take over the system. Because allopathy is all about dosing you with medicine, surgical procedures, and then when they just can't figure it out, they're going to irradiate you. All very toxic forms of treatment, all very disconnected from the healing body itself. And I have to say what I hear from those of you who are practicing functional medicine. Yes, Barbara, I'm talking about you. Ha ha. My friend Barbara is a functional medicine doctor. This is a branch of healing that I'm really hoping that more establishments HMOs here in San Francisco. I'm with Kaiser. Kaiser is so disconnected from healing. I basically fired my doctor because all they had to do. All they could provide me with is medicines. Oh, Cliff, you have a cholester, Well we're going to give you some statins. Well your blood pressure is a little high, Well we're going to give you some blood thinners. You know, and it's just not a solution, it's a problem. It causes problems. I lost the use of my arm in Mexico last year because I was on stands and I talked to my cardiologists and she's like, well, that's what we got that's what we got for you. And I'm like, well, is there any other solution? Well, no, no, we don't have a solution for it, you know, and they don't. It's people are are are stampeding out of their doctor's offices because they're sick of being medicated. This is not healing. By the way, they just had a survey of the industrial nations and the United States fell last number ten on the healthcare It's pathetic. The United States healthcare system is pathetic. Going off on a tangent anyhow, getting back to getting back to fasting. So I'm on my second day, really almost the third day, because I started late in Sunday, and I feel fine. First two days are fine. Now it's the third day and the fourth day where the body begins dumping toxins, cells and problems into the bloodstream to get rid of it. And this is why you need to drink lots of water, lots of fluids and stay hydrated. And I tend to get very moody on the third and fourth day because the body's getting rid of toxes. But I have to say this, and again this is not for everybody because you're not eating any food. But you can do it. You can really do it, and these supervised clinics can help. But you know you start off easy. You don't do five days right off the bat. If you want to fast, try twenty four hours and then breaking the fast. You know you have vegetables and so you don't eat a lot of heavy proteins or sugar or gluten, and you'd be surprised how great you feel. And we do this before you know, first of all, as each season changes, but also when you're not feeling great, and the benefits are just amazing. Now I've been fasting for probably thirty plus years. I go back to Bernard Jensen, who was a doctor of chiropractor who had a sanitarium in Temechila, which is a county down in the San Diego region of California. He and I think I've mentioned this before, he would take people who were extremely ill. They had cancers, they had degenerative arthritis, they had multiple sclerosis, other really degenerative types of illnesses, and he would take them on long fasts and also calonics. Now I don't advocate colonics, but a lot of people do them. This is where you're you're not eating and then you're flushing the large intestine with water through colonic irrigation. This is putting a hose up the rectum and then you flush the system well. He documented people passing tumors and waste products, not feces, but problems of the upper and lower colon. And you know, and you know, the medicals establisher just doesn't get this. They just don't get it. This is why we're the last place of industrial countries for healthcare. We just don't know what to do. We're so stupid, and we're dosing everybody with medicines. It's just causing more problem. So when we have our functional medicine doctor on, she is great. I've read her book and we're going to hear all about this. And this is something that is being forced on allopaths to change their system of wellness, change their prescription methods, and to look at alternative nutrition, exercise, meditation, and other wellness practices that are much more beneficial to people. So anyhow, I'll let you know how my fast ends next week. And I'm looking forward to a positive outcome, which always happens. It always is a much positive outcome because I'm much clearer, i feel better, I'm processing, I'm digesting, and just feeling much much better across the board. So that's part of the biohacking basics. The program today is more for the tools for transformation theme. The title of the book is that we're talking about is the fifteen minute Method, the surprisingly simple art of getting it done. And my guest is Sam Bennett, and I'll tell you this book is wonderful. The interview was very very enlightening because we're all bogged down into our nine to five existence, trying to get ahead of the joneses, trying to survive, and we're not taking enough time for ourselves. What do we really want individually? What do we really want to accomplish? Do we want? I mean? And I like this because you know, we're not thinking about our family, our kids, our relatives, our friends. It's about us and you might think that's selfish, but it's not. And when you hear the techniques that we're going to present today and what's featured in this book, it just came out the fifteen minute method, you're going to love it. And this is not about meditating, it's not about journaling. It's about sitting down one day a week and considering yourself. So again. Today's program is the fifteen Minute Method and my guest is Sam Bennett. I think you're gonna enjoy this show. You probably hear about all these amazing locations, these ancient sites we visit on Earth, ancient Sand, here on Destiny, but I got to tell you there's nothing like being there in person. And we have a number of tours that we schedule every year, some in far lands like Turkey and Egypt, but some are closer to home, like Mexico. And we have a great tour coming up in November, the Sacred Mayan Temples of the Yucatan. It's November eighth through the seventeenth of this year, one week of intense exploration. This tour is designed for those of you who really want to connect with these ancient places, feel an affinity to the Maya, and just want to see ye close and personal, what a pyramid looks like, what it feels like, how you connect with them and the tolleric energy. For more information on our upcoming tour, go to Earth Ancients dot com, forward slash Tours and look for the banner to Mexico. I gotta tell you this is gonna be a good one. We're going to be going to Ushmol, Ticheniza, Lobna, Sail and every place we go to. You can connect by sitting, by meditating, by connecting with these sacred locations. And there's nothing like climbing a Mayan pyramid and sitting at the very top and getting bathed in this wonderful energy. Again, come out and join us. It's November eight through the seventeenth of this year. Go to Earth Ancients dot com, forward slash tours and get all the information. How do we live our life and be as successful as possible without getting stuck. That's a big question I've always wondering about. And my author, my guest today, is an author of a really an interesting book. Not only is it provocative in terms of guidance, and we all need guidance. You know, it's not all about meditating and hoping it happens the way you are planning. But this is a way too. In this new book, this is a a way to go beyond the stress, strife, the problems that we all face. And would you believe the title of this book is the fifteen minute Method, the surprisingly simple art of getting it done. And we're going to find out today what that means. My guest today is Sam Bennett. She is the author of Get It Done, Start right where you are in this new book. She's a writer, speaker, actor, creativity productivity specialists, and she is the founder of the Real Sam Bennett dot Com, a company committed to helping overwhelmed creatives and frustrated overachievers get unstuck. And she's coming to us today from Connectiquette. Sam, I really like this book, and I typically don't have a lot of time because I have to go through a lot of different books. But were you was this book kind of a next step from your last book, or were you seeing people and hearing from people that are like Sam, I just don't get it. I'm just I'm in the muck, I'm in the manure, and I can't get out of this. Talk about the inception of this book.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you so much, Cliff, thank you for having me. Hi everybody, I'm so glad you're here. And yeah, let's see if we can't change your life in fifteen minutes a day, how about that. Yeah. The impetus for this book, it's a little bit of some some from colum and some from columb I was definitely hearing more and more from people, I'm so overwhelmed, I'm so stressed out. I feel like I'm working as hard as I can, as much as I can, and I'm still not getting anywhere. There's too much input, I don't know where to look, you know, all these versions of I'm so busy, I'm so overwhelmed. And then my editor over at New World Library actually asked me if I would consider writing a book on overwhelmed, and I immediately said yes, because again that's the word that I kept hearing over and over and over again, and I knew I had a really simple, like almost subversively simple key to help people get over.
Speaker 1: This amazing I want to mention real quickly, and I'd like you to just talk about this. You've gotten over long COVID, and I have friends and I never really had a problem with COVID, but when you have long COVID, you're fatigued for much of the day. Talk a little bit about applying your own techniques into that, because you must have to kind of lay your day out in such a way where Okay, I wake up, I feel great, but what do I want to achieve today? And then as you're working, you'll probably have a drop in energy, and then it'll go up and down, up and down. Talk a bit about that because a lot of people are still dealing with that.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I would not say I'm actually over long haul COVID. I am infinitely better than I was. Okay, But I want to shout out to all my brothers and sisters out there living with long haul and any other long term, debilitating, essentially untreatable disease. These invisible illnesses are so hard, so hard to live with, so hard for you, so hard for your families, so hard for everyone. So I just big hug to everybody, because man, it's hard. Yeah, And with long all you do not wake up feeling great you wake up, I mean it's yeah. The main symptom is exhaustion, when I started referred to as clinical fatigue, because if you just say fatigue, it sounds like, well, you're tired, take a nap. But no, this is different. This is like your body's made out of concrete and someone is holding you down. Like, not only did getting out of bed many times seem impossible, but rolling over in bed seemed really ambitious, you know, like when you are so fatigue you cannot watch TV.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I can't imagine that, I know.
Speaker 2: And for me it was reading like I could read anywhere, anytime, anything, all the time, and all of a sudden I couldn't really read.
Speaker 1: Because you just can't take any data in. You're just your body is just like, leave me alone. I want to rest.
Speaker 2: You got to imagine like the worst jet lag you've ever had combined with the worst flu you've ever had, Like, yeah, your body's just like no, no, nothing, thank you. Nothing is what we want. So yes, So a great deal of this book was in fact written in fifteen minute increments and edited in fifteen minute increments because that would be all I could do.
Speaker 1: Wow, talk about the reason for this book and how people can get fifteen minute increments into their day. And then at the end of that, I'm going to give you a three part why it's such a great benefit to have the satisfaction that you are achieving something that is for you.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yeah, So let's lay it out. So here's the fifteen minute method. If you everybody wants to know, here it is, pens clicked, let's go. Fifteen minute method. Is I want you to spend fifteen minutes a day, every single day, on something that matters to you. To Nah, that's it, that's the whole thing. I turned that into a whole book. But here's the kicker. I mean, here's what I noticed is that most of us, most of you, are running around all day getting everything for everybody, and the stuff that really matters to you, that would really make a difference to you, your heart, your body, your family doesn't even make it onto the list, right. So, and you know we psych ourselves out of things sometimes we think, you know, well, I mean, Sam, I really what I really want is to write a book. But you know I need two months in promise. You know, I need a whole summer. I need all this time, and I am all for two months in provoms. Please call me, we'll go together. But I noticed that that time is not always immediately available. However, everyone has fifteen minutes. I don't care how busy you are or how unwell you are. Really, I mean, there are certain degrees of unwell, but you know what I'm saying, For the vast majority of us, we can find fifteen minutes a day. And if you take writing a book for an example, in fifteen minutes, you can write two hundred and fifty words, and in two hundred days that's fifty thousand words. That's a book.
Speaker 1: You know. I was looking at the fifteen minutes and going, I can't do shit in fifteen minutes because I'm all over the place. But you're right if you focus down and you think of it as this is my creative time, this is my juicy time, this is my personal time. If you have kids, if you have obligations, it's almost like it's magic, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It is one hundred percent magic, and it's actually sort of three tiered magic because first of all, there is the magic of how much you can get done in fifteen minutes. It's shocking. Everyone is shocked. I am often shocked. I mean I do it in almost every one of my workshops where I say, okay, I'm going to set their timer for fifteen minutes. You all put your pens on paper and do XYZ for fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: So great, and almost.
Speaker 2: Every time they are like amazing, Like I know. The second part of the magic is every day, when you are touching your project, every day, when you are making incremental progress every day, you start to see exponential effects, and we sort of get that logically. Like, you know, if I practice my ukulele for fifteen minutes a day and not very long of a time, I would be a better ukulele player. Right, Does the world need a better ukulele player? I don't know. But in the course of a week or a month, or a year or six years or sixty six years, the thing I do every day, not only am I going to get good at, but it's sort of let see angels know I'm serious.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The brain is really good at finding what it's looking for. So if you are putting a project right in front of it every single day for fifteen minutes, whether that's writing a book or playing ukulele or learning a language, or decluttering your closet or you know, growing your business or paying attention to your finances, whatever it is that's up for you, there's a real magic to that, that everyday commitment. And then finally there's this fabulous spillover effect, right, And the same way that when you are grumpy and stressed out and then you just get sort of increasingly grumpy and stressed out when you start out with fifteen minutes of giving you the gift of something that matters to you. Oh my gosh, we love that version of you. You're calmer, you're less reactive, You've got a little light in your eyes, you're a better listener. Like it's the same sort of I don't know, I wish there was a word for like positive smugness, like the positive smugness that you get when you, you know, hit the gym first thing in the morning, or you have sex first thing in the morning and you've been all day being like that's right, I'm awesome. How are you?
Speaker 1: But you're when you're you're we're feeding ourselves with those where magic. Where the magic is is what you're telling us in this book is that you need this to be your best self.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and stop expecting some magical day you know when you're going to wake up with all the confidence and free time and extra money in the world, Like it's not happening, and this constant pushing out of your goals and dreams to like, well, I'll do it, you know after the holidays, I'll do it when I get that promotion. I'll do it when the kids X Y Z. It's like, no, today, the future is not guaranteed to any of us do it today, And even stuff that people really I think sometimes struggle with, like you're getting enough, you know, exercise and movement. Every single health and medical professional in the universe will tell you that fifteen minutes of you moving your body in any way, shape or form is going to have an exponentially positive effect on your health and well being.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What if someone's listening and they go, Sam, I don't know what I need to do for fifteen minutes. How do I reach out and grab that one thing that's going to make me feel good about my nine to five existence and screaming kids and I don't have enough time for myself existence.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love that question because it reminds me of times in my life when I've really been neglecting my own self, Like when I can't even answer the question what do I want? It's like, what do I want? I don't know? What do you want? What do you want for me? What can I do for you? Let's talk about that, all right? So that tells me there is a lot of room for you to discover. And that's what I would invite you into, is I would go ahead and make a list of a bunch of fifteen minute tasks that you just think, Well, I could doodle, I could you know, plan a trip to Paris. I could take a look at that stock investment. I could research the work of Eleanor Duza, I could you know, Like whatever it is that bubbles up for you, go ahead and write it down, and then maybe you pick a different one every day. Maybe you find one that you really like and you stick with it for a while. It's really meant to It's really an infinitely flexible thing. There is there's no right or wrong way to do it. I am not your mom. This is not school. You're not getting graded like it's really the object of the game is just the doing of it. And I'll tell you for me. My fifteen minutes I do before I even open my eyes. Almost in the morning, I do it right away, well, even while I'm still sort of half asleep. And I have this little sort of prayer, meditation, breathing journaling process that I invented for myself over time, and it's so lovely, you know. Sort of in the morning, I write a letter to God, or God writes a letter to me, depending on who needs to say what to whom, and it doesn't take very much time. And yet I notice that when I don't do it, things go off the rails so vast, and when I do do it again, I'm more in touch with myself. So it may be if you don't know where to start, that you want to make a list and try a bunch of different things. It may be that you just want to start with that inquiry, you know, start with a blank piece of paper and the question what do I want? And maybe let your non dominant hand answer. You know, it'll look like kindergarten serial killer handwriting, but that's okay. You know, do a little self and quiry, Do whatever prayer, meditation, visualization work you like to do, if that appeals.
Speaker 1: To you, you know.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, do what's in front of you, you know, but don't don't make your damist appointment, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has to be something that's more what a desire or an accomplishment. You don't really fine tune what that item can be, but it has to be a creative outlet. Let's talk about a point that you have in your book. What time of day to do these kinds of things. Some of us, like I get up in the morning and when I mean, I get up at seven thirty to start my day and that's my highest creativity where I do writing and things like that. But other people may have other times of the day where they do that. Talk a little bit about the importance of having that creative muse as what we use the term, use that guidance when should people be doing this work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to underline one thing that you said. You talked about using this time for creative work. And I don't want people to turn off and go, oh, I'm not creative, which is what a lot of people will say. Because there's there's a little vocabulary problem in our country. We have conflated the words creative and artistic, right, and those are two different things. Not everyone is artistic and that's fine, but everyone is creative. Creativity has to do with innovative problem solving. It has to do with you know, if you've ever solved a problem differently than anybody else has ever solved the problem, Congratulations, you are a creative genius. And so for some people that's tying flies, for some people it's coding. For some people, it's knowing what compliment to give, you know, making other people feel great about themselves. So wherever you know. Sometimes I'll talk about people having a zone of creative genius or multiple zones of creative genius, and at tip to Kay Hendrix and to Katie Hendrix for their work on zones of genius. But your zone of creative genius is like that thing that you've always been good at, You've always had sort of a natural knack for. Maybe nobody else in your family or your community is interested in it, but you are. It's the thing that if somebody woke you up at three in the morning and said, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, Cliff, we're gonna go do X y Z you want to go, and you'd be like, yeah, oh for sure, where's my shoes? Okay, I'm coming, I'm coming right Whatever that is that start there, start there? Okay, So I got off a little tangent about creativity and about your zone of creative genius. What time of day again, Yeah, it's really infinitely flexible. I like you, I'm better in the morning. And also I find if I put stuff off to where in the middle or the end of the day, it's easy for it to fall off. Yeah, in between the cyber cracks right once I check email kind of it's all over, So I like to do it first thing. But do it when it works for.
Speaker 1: You, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean some people like to do it during their lunch break. Some people like to do it in mid afternoon, you know, take a fifteen minute walk or just go outside for fifteen minutes to counteract that mid afternoon slump. Some people can't do it till after the kids are in bed. Some people love to get up, you know, be up at three in the morning. So really, you do what works for you and be prepared to be flexible. I mean that sometimes there's stuff that like, oh, this works so perfectly for my schedule right now, but then something will change all of a sudden, They're not going to middle schoo anymore. They're in high school now, their schedule is different, and now you can't do it at the same time. So don't you know, don't get too precious about it, but yeah, figure out something that works for you.
Speaker 1: Is it important to do it every day? Can we skip a day, skip a week? Talk about the locking it in and why and we don't want to get into psychology and physiology, but why it's probably a healing benefit. To do it every day and to accumulate the positivity or use some language in this area, because I think this is a big one for some people who might go, oh, I'm going to do this wow, and the next day I'm tired. I don't want to bother right.
Speaker 2: Well again, I really want to get people away from this world of self punishment. You know that oh I did it wrong, or oh I messed it up, or only I did I only did three days last week, So what that's three days more than you did the week before. Feel good about it? Do? I think there's magic to doing it every day? Absolutely absolutely. Like I said, I think when you touch something every day, when you touch a project or an idea or a goal or a commitment every day, you know, it keeps it top of mind for you. You're always sort of spinning on it. You'll see more opportunities around it. It'll become more of the fabric of your life. It'll also get you used to springing into action and being decisive and moving forward. You know, money many loves decisions, and money loves speed, and creativity loves decisions and creativity loves speed. So to get out of that, well, it's not perfect. Well, I'm still thinking about it. Well, I'm not sure to just into like, no, I'm just doing it. It's fifteen minutes. How perfect is it going to be? I'm going to do it on tomorrow anyway, So I'm just you know, I have a friend who taught herself art. She taught herself to be an artist because she wanted to, and so she bought a pack of watercolors because she heard those were the easiest to start with, and she started watching YouTube videos and for fifteen minutes a day, every single day, she started painting. And it's true when she started, they were not great, yeah, but she was really loving learning about it and really loving the experience.
Speaker 1: And that's the key is that you're picking something not that somebody else wants in your life. It's something that you have a desire for, right, So, maybe, like you're saying, somebody who wanted to become an artist, she started doing a fifteen minute practice and all of a sudden, I don't know how many years she practiced, but she's competent on some level. Or maybe it's satisfaction, right.
Speaker 2: Exactly a couple of years later, she has a beautiful studio in her house. She does art all the time, and she started designing patterns like fabrics and amazing designs like she's a beautiful colorist. She's a beautiful artist, and more than that, it lights her up. Right, And we've all heard over and over again those reports from hospice, right, the number one regrets of the dying are I wish I had spent more time on the things that mattered to me and less time on the things that I thought mattered to other people.
Speaker 1: That's kind of a downer, Sam.
Speaker 2: Jesus, I'm telling you this. I hate to say it, but it's really one of the things that drives my entire business. I hardly ever talk about it, but I am slightly obsessed with the fact that we die. We are all here with a unique voice and a unique gift, and a unique experience of the world, and unique talents and skills. And we don't know how long we're here for, right. We know that it's a one way ticket, but we don't know for how long. We're all old enough to have lost friends, right. We all have people who aren't here anymore to do their work. And I am so grateful to my friends who did do their work. You know, where they may not be here, but their book is here, or their drawings are here, or the card that they wrote to me is here, Like that makes an impact on the world. I've got my great grandmother's recipes because she took the time to write them down and save them for us.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a short commercial break to allow our sponsors to identify themselves, and we will return shortly with my guest today, Sam Bennett, discussing her brand new book, The fifteen Minute Method. We'll be right back. My guest today is author Sam Bennett, who has written a new book called The fifteen Minute Method, The Surprisingly Simple Art of Getting It Done, and we're discussing the various techniques creatively affecting your life. Would you also say that your book The fifteen Minute Method is also about finding your passion because you talk about people who are It doesn't have to be creative in terms of painting or writing. It could be somebody who wants to figure out a new financial plan for retirement, who may be in the numbers and maybe want to try something new, how to invest or somebody. Talk about the different aspects of that fifteen minute Method and where because it disguise the limit right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I'll tell you I have a fantasy. You want to hear my fantasy. Here's my fantasy. My fantasy is that this will that. First of all, Okay, so I keep reading about how seventy seven percent of employees are disengaged, oh from their job. Yeah, seventy seven percent. That's a lot. Like if you lost seventy seven percent of your money, you would notice if seventy seven percent of your friends went away, you would notice, Like, that's a huge percentage. So this is a very expensive problem, it seems to me, for corporate America. And while I have had Lord knows every job under the sun. I was a Whitewater river guide, I was a briist, I produced radio dramas, I cocktail waitress, I did the scarffying demonstrations and Lord and Taylor like, I've done everything, but I've never had a job in corporate America. So you all can tell me how real this is. But I feel like it would be a beautiful thing for a company to say, hey, you know what, people, we recognize that you are a person with a life outside of this office, and so we want to give you between eight and eight fifteen every morning, or between four and four to fifteen every afternoon, or between twelve thirty and twelve forty five every day, and that's just you time. Yeah, right, Don't check your email, don't schedule meetings, just do your thing for fifteen minutes. End of star.
Speaker 1: I loved that idea. I was in Corporated America and you're like a number. Of course, literally the higher ups don't even know you exist for the most part.
Speaker 2: Exactly right. So it seems to me a very cheap, simple thing to just say, like, hey, you do you for fifteen minutes?
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But here's where I think it's really going to work is so now we all go into the meeting, and you know, I would introduce my myself saying, oh, hi, I'm Sam from Sales and Marketing, but maybe I say Hi, I'm Sam from Sales and Marketing. And I spent my fifteen minutes today working on a needle point that I was making for my goddaughter when she was born, and now she's about to graduate from high school, so I'm super excited to get it done. Yeah, And there are studies that show that when you allow people to do that to comment, First of all, get everybody's voices into the room right away with a meeting, right, so everybody's engaged and share something about themselves as a person. They'll do better in the meeting because they've reminded themselves of the fullness of their experience. Right, They're not just coming with their sales and marketing hat on. They've reminded themselves. Oh that's right, I'm a person with family and friends and needlework and commitments and things. And then here's the rest of my fantasy. Down at the end of the table is Debbie from accounting, with whom I have never gotten along. And Debbie says, Hi, I'm w from accounting and I spent my fifteen minutes today doing count across stitch. Oh what well, No, we're needlework buddies. Now we can talk embroidery flaws. And of course she does count across stitch because she's an account of course. Right now we've got something in common, and you know what, we call that engagement.
Speaker 1: And that's really important because most of these corporate worlds are sterile and they're there. You're just another number. You come, you do your job, and you leave, and it's really sad. People aren't engaged. You're right, it's right, and.
Speaker 2: We all know that people. You people do way more for other people than they will for any job.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: If you know the times when you've really made an extraordinary effort, it's because you cared about the person, You cared about that manager, you cared about that project, you cared about that you know that team.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah. Helping people engage with themselves and their own creativity and engage with each other and with each other's creativity, I think would be kind of.
Speaker 1: I want to remind and suggest to the reader that they get this listener, that they get this book because it's written in very short, exacting chapters and I like it because I don't have a lot of time to read. But if you have ADHD or your minds all over the place, it's a great book because you can get into a third of the book without really thinking too much and just passing through. I want you to talk a little bit about something that I found was wonderful and actually very important in your book, which is getting enough rest. And if you're burnt out and you'd have no energy, you're not going to be creative. You're not going to call on the muse talk about creating a rest diary.
Speaker 3: This was really a great idea because if you're coming home, or if you wake up and you're already tired because you've been exhausted all through the week, you need to look at your your energy levels.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, talk about creating this diary and why it's so critical to get this fifteen minute method ongoing and really running.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, well, true productivity is not about getting more done. It's about getting more of what matters done. And as they say, what gets measured matters. So you know, if you're on a weight loss or fitness journey, you're going to measure your calories and your pounds and your inches and your weights in your reps. Right, if you're and if you're on a journey to get better rest, then you need to track your rest. And the first thing I want you to look at is what are you doing that is genuinely RESTful, Because I'm here to tell you that revenge doom scrolling you're doing at night in bed that is not RESTful. That binge watching. I mean, I love TV, don't get me wrong, but we all do that thing sometimes where we just sort of vegetate and let it wash over us. And you know, occasionally I'm all for it, But every night that is not restoring your soul, that is not lighting you up, that is not giving you energy. Right, things are RESTful when they restore your energy.
Speaker 1: So you need to turn all the social media off. Like I watch TikTok in bed just before I go to sleep. It's like me too. I think it's because I'm so addicted to it.
Speaker 2: It's just so addicted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know it's probably really not good for my psyche and also my my brain.
Speaker 2: It's not good for your psyche, it's not good for your brain. The blue light is not good for your sleep, like make and this is where we get to be really good parents to ourself, right, you know, because the little kid inside of us is like I want to treat, I don't want to talk, I don't want to go to bed, and the grown up in us has to say, I know, sweetheart, I know, but we're gonna we'll watch TikTok pretend, you know, for fifteen minutes in the morning. That can be your prize. We're going to sleep right now, right or whatever it is. Again. Sometimes people I know spend their fifteen minutes, stretching or laying down, you know, with their legs up against the wall, or using a thera gun. H one of those massagers sitting out just you know, sitting out in the sunshine, hugging a tree, you know, attending to their houseplants. Like, what are the things that can correct some of that imbalance around too much input and not enough output, not enough neutral time and not enough output, right because right now we're so busy consuming every last little thing, reading every last article, watching every last video, watching every stream, that we exhaust ourselves and you need to reset to neutral and then you need output as well. We need a balance of these things in order to feel well rested.
Speaker 1: Talk a little bit about your own journey, Sam, because you were saying when you started doing this that not only did you get more satisfaction in life, but you accomplish things like you able to write more books, You're able to do some of the things that you know, I can't remember exactly what they were, but when you begin to work in this fifteen minute model, it actually is satisfactory on unconscious levels.
Speaker 2: Well, that's right, I mean, I think we dismissed the cognitive load, the psychological load of that which is undone. You know, when we're carrying around like, oh I really wanted to do this, cuasi, Oh I really wish I could get to that. Oh I really want to do that, but I'm not doing any of it. That's exhausting mentally. Yeah, moving forward, even just a little bit is such a relief and so energizing. Sometimes. I give the example of sometimes people are like, well, see, I'm you know, I need to clean out my garage, right. It's really weighing on me. It's a big problem. I've got to do it, and I need two free weekends. I mean, I can't do that in fifteen minutes. And again I'm gonna say, first of all, show me those two free weekends, because I don't have them, and I don't think you do either, And if you did, I don't think you want to spend them in the garage. But to my point, what I might suggest is make yourself a mug of something and go out into the garage for fifteen minutes and just be with the garage.
Speaker 1: Just take it all in, Just observe the.
Speaker 2: Garage, take it in, see what the garage has to say to you. Don't touch anything, just check it out with no agenda other than being there. And it may be that, like minute twelve, you go, wait a minute, those seven boxes belong to my brother Jeffrey. Jeffrey, can I get your boxes? Well, now you clean out a whole corner you didn't if you do anything. Yeah, And maybe the next day you go in again of something you'd look in one of the rubber Maid boxes, you go, oh, that has holiday stuff in it. So then you put a big label on it says holiday, and you shove it to the back because you only need that stuff once a year. And maybe the next day you roll that broken bicycle out to the curb and put a sign on it that says free broken bicycle. And in this way, in this fashion, you can in fact clear out your garage in fifteen minutes a day. And more than that, the joy of moving forward, the joy of making decisions, of knowing that you've moved even a tiny bit, you know. Tony she wrote a terrific book God Bless Tony Shay called Delivering Happiness, and one of he was the founder of Zappos, and one of the things he denoted as a condition of happiness is progress or perceived progress, which is how they do like the lines at Disneyland, you know, like where you just like go through a bunch of different environments as you're in the line to sort of make you feel like you're closer, even though the line is like a million miles.
Speaker 1: Part of the line is an experience.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. So the fact that there's perceived progress, like okay, we're moving forward, that's that people's happiness or an element of happiness.
Speaker 1: Okay. You have another area that I think is really good. I used to do it to myself or for myself, is when you're working on something and you give yourself a little rewards, you know, which I was really happy to read that in your book because you know, stopping and saying, hey, I'm going to have a bit of a chocolate bar or which you're not supposed to eat or something if you're on a weird diet. I don't know, but just little acknowledgments which are the rewards of your work is in critical is a really critical part of this program. Talk a bit about that.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. You would never expect a child or a dog or a team member to put in hard, consistent work on something and not get an at a girl, you know, not get a treat. Ye so, and yet we expect ourselves to work ourselves into the ground, and then all we do is beraate ourselves for not doing more. So I want to say, stop, acknowledge how far you've come. Give yourself a present and it can be whatever you want. I mean again, Sometimes I promise myself that if I do a thing, I can call my friend Margaret in Chicago, because I'm always happy to talk to Margaret and we never have enough time to talk. Sometimes I'll, you know, make a cup of the fancy tea that I got in England. You know, sometimes it'll be a little square of chocolate. And you know, if you're on a diet that doesn't allow you to have even a little square of chocolate, I.
Speaker 1: That would be huge.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry. I hope you have something that you like, you know, you know, buy the good olives at the grocery store, like whatever it is that you go, Oh yeah, okay, I'm cool, I'm special. I get a little treat like absolutely, boy, buoy yourself up that way. I have a friend who, in their daily journaling process, they write down three things that they're proud of themselves for doing that day. You know, I'm proud of myself for not losing my temper. I'm proud of myself for only having one square of chocolate. I'm proud of myself for putting that broken bike out on the curb, like really taking the time. Because you know, many of us did not exactly grow up in the happy childhood club. Oh boy, and right yeah, and sometimes not only were our mistakes not met with grace, but our accomplishments were not met with grace. So we're grown ups now again. We get to reparent ourselves. We get to say, honey, I am so proud of you. Look how great you're doing. You wrote two hundred words today. That's amazing.
Speaker 1: What's the reward and the outcome of doing this practice, this work is it to fill a more complete sense of being on the planet and fulfilling a not a requirement that's the wrong word, but a purpose. I have purpose in why I'm here. That's what it feels like to me while you wrote this book, is you're seeing people that seem kind of out of sorts, out of they're not connected. They might have a nice facade where they're smiling, and they have their makeup on, but behind that facade, they're crying. They're miserable, and what the hell am I doing here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, that's definitely a lot of it. I mean, and I've lived with depression and anxiety my whole life, and sometimes it's just the wallpaper of every room I'm in, and sometimes it really eats my launch and uh, you know again invisible diseases, right, And I think that being able to combat whether it's just sort of operational on WEI or the middle aged blas or of a sandwich generation pressure, or however you want, you know, the mid the quarter life crisis, however you want to describe it. Life is challenging, but finding joy doesn't have to be hard, and it doesn't require you to necessarily leave your marriage or quit your job, or you know, move to another state. You know, there's there's little things you can do that will vastly improve your experience of every day. And I noticed this maybe you do too. People tend to spend a lot of time talking about all the things they cannot control, and not nearly enough time controlling the things over which they have one hundred percent control.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like that you have a number of different states that you describe in your book, and one of them is called zone of creative genius? Does everybody have that? Is that something that you begin to realize once you're doing this work that there's while you're doing it. Maybe it opens an awareness of your project on a different level, or something to talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we talked about a little bit earlier. That thing that you know, if somebody woke you up at three am, that's whatever that thing is, you know, the thing that your family and friends are oh right, might say to you. You know, like wait a minute, you're driving how far to go to a conference on what? And you're like, no, no, I'm super excited. I can't wait. So that's a great place to start. And one of the ways one of the things I talk about in the book is I know that everybody has his own of creative genius because every office I've ever worked in, like I said, I've never had a corporate job, but I've had plenty of office jobs. There is a birthday person in every office. There is somebody who takes it upon themselves to say, Okay, today's Cliff's birthday, and they hand around the card and they bring in the cupcakes and they put up a little sign and you know whatever. And I find that mysterious and delightful because frankly, I don't care about birthdays. I don't care about I don't care about my birthday. I don't care about your birthday. I don't care about any of its birthday. I'm not a birthday person. I know those people are like, it's my birthday, was celebrate all month long. I'm like, that's bad for you. That is not my scene. So I think it's delightful that somebody would take that on. And if you ask them about it, if you say, hey, don't you mind you know, doing this every couple of weeks, and they say, no, I love it. I'm so happy to do it. I really I love doing it. Well, that's that person's zone of creative genius. And if they were to maybe start their own business, maybe it would be in events or hospitality, but maybe it would just maybe it would be in hr and in how to recognize people and help people feel valued. Maybe it would be in in a therapeutic modality, you know, helping people blossom into their best selves. You know, whatever they're whatever's motivating that that birthday behavior is their zone of creative genius.
Speaker 1: Talk about the progression in this practice, the fifteen minute method, where maybe you start out and you give some examples in your book which I think are great, But I got to clean up my garage and you're writing this down, you're going out as you say, you're kind of sitting there and looking there at the garage and going God. And then you start working on it slowly. When that's done and achieved, I would imagine there's a level of satisfaction. But how does that help you progress to the next item?
Speaker 2: Again, it totally depends on who you are and what your circumstances, and there isn't a right way. I do have a client who several years ago moved from California to South Carolina to be with her mother in her mother's dying years. Eventually her mother did in fact I and now here she is in this house filled with her mother's stuff. Now she's dealing with her grief and she has to deal with clearing out all this stuff. So and her own stuff, which is still half of in boxes from California. So she decides to start with her mother's office and she's like, Okay, fifteen minutes a day, I'm just going to start going through her papers and we'll just chip away at it. And so she does, and sure enough, fifteen minutes a day she starts to make some real progress on what seemed like a mountain of paper. But again, every day you chip away at it makes progress. Then she realizes that her mother's record player is in the office, and so she starts to play albums while she's working, because that's something she and her mom shared was the real love of music. And you know, albums are about a side of an album's about twenty two minutes, so you know, she could put that on do her fifteen twenty minutes of clearing. And then while she was clearing, she found some of her mom's old stationary, as the beautiful heavyweight cotton stationary that they you know, they don't even make it anymore, you can't buy it. And so she started to write notes and letters back to her friends in California, back to her new friends. She just made that note sending a part of her day. Well, and now she's got to walk the notes down to the mailbox, which means she's getting to know the neighbors and their dogs. And their gardens and the mail carrier. And in this way she starts to sort of habit stack. Right, James Clearer talked about atomic habits and habit stacking. You know, the fifteen minutes of clearing leads to music, leads to letter writing, leads to be taking a walk and being out in the world every day. Like in these little incremental movements we can see quantum leaps.
Speaker 1: So keep at it. And it is on some level the soul, the higher self or whatever is helping you along with this special time, which is your time, this fifteen minutes a day to get really what you want. So you can be a child, you can be an adult, you can be whatever, but you're satisfying these levels of your soul.
Speaker 2: Right, that's right. And honestly, you know, for some of you you may just want to set a timer. And even if you end up staring at a blank piece of paper for fifteen minutes, well, fifteen minutes of enforced boredom never hurt a person. And when was the last time you spent fifteen minutes staring at paper and not reaching for your phone.
Speaker 1: We're going to take another commercial break to allow our sponsors to identify themselves, and we will return shortly with my guests today, Sam Bennett, discussing her new book The Fifteen Minute Method. We'll get right back to you, we promise. My guest today is author Sam Bennett, who's written a new book called The Fifteen Minute Method, The Surprisingly Simple Art of Getting It Done. And this is a new way to look at creativity, satisfaction and not the nine to five existence that most of us have to deal with. I love what you just said, enforced boredom.
Speaker 2: I am a big stand of enforced member. All those hours and hours and hours in the way back of the car, like on finally car trips. We used to drive from Chicago up to Door County, Wisconsin, which.
Speaker 1: Is yeah, we took car to as a kid, right, and we're.
Speaker 2: Going camping and Kettle Moraine or wherever it was, and we'd make a fort in the way back of the Volvo. I know kids can't do that anymore, but it was fun. And there were just hours of just staring out the window. There's no iPad, there was no nothing. There was just staring. And I think it was really good for a person. Yeah, you know, I don't think it's beneficial to be entertained every moment of every day.
Speaker 1: Well, that could be a form of meditation too, quiet zoning where you're sitting there looking at blank paper and going I don't know what I want. I don't know, And maybe that's that's kind of clearing the dust out of the machinery.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and just be in the not knowing. Get curious. Right. You also mentioned add and ADHD and all the neurospicies of it all. And I have to say this time blocking effect of saying Okay, I'm just going to do this for fifteen minutes is really RESTful and focusing for the neurospicy mind.
Speaker 1: And it's actually why it just shut it.
Speaker 2: It just allows you to focus and not feel like, oh my god, I'm going to fall down the rabbit hole and wake up six hours later, you know, or come to come back six hours later. I'll say you. I offer a thing for sale. It's called the Daily Practicum and you can see it on my website on the realsam Bennett dot com and it's a subscription thing.
Speaker 3: It's and.
Speaker 2: Every day, every weekday, I should say, every weekday, for fifteen minutes between twelve and twelve fifteen Eastern we get on zoom. We wave at each other. We set the timer for fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes later, it goes off, and I'm here to tell you a gallery full of like glowing almost post orgasmic faces look up at me, you know, and they say, Sam, Sam, I did it. I made that phone call. I've been putting off that phone call for weeks and I made that phone call. Or Sam, Sem, I did it. I wrote a card to my coworker just lost her husband, and I wanted to say somebody. I don't know what to say, but I just I just did it. I just wrote it, and it's done, you know. Or again, I just sat in the garden for fifteen minutes with the sun.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. Yeah, it's amazing. It's also giving permission, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's permission giving. It's also a thing called parallel play or body doubling. You know, as humans were very influenced by the group, by the room we're in. Emotions are contagious. There's all kinds of studies that you know, if you sit next to a high performer, your performance will go up. So to know that like, okay, I am in this room, this virtual room, this space with all these other people who are also putting their heads down and working for fifteen minutes. The sort of collective energy of that. And it's funny because I've got people who show up every day for it. I've got people who show up occasionally, and then I've got people who never show up in person, but the fact that they've paid for it and it's on their calendar every day means that they do it just at a different time.
Speaker 1: That's a really interesting practice to have people show up on your on zoom and to be going this is what happened with me. Do you go through everybody or is it like only those who want to share?
Speaker 2: Just people want to share? They do. I mean, we really don't chitch out very much. It's really just a high great job, see you tomorrow, you know.
Speaker 1: I think it would be kind of fun. Is just sit there quiet for five minutes and little blocks of quiet time. I think it's great. Let's talk a little bit about some of the challenges. And when I say challenges procrastination. You have a chapter called What Your Excuses Really Mean and that's a big one. Talk a little bit about that chapter because people, I mean people are listening going, look, I just don't have time.
Speaker 2: For this right, right, And if you're living a life in which you cannot claim fifteen minutes for yourself, I think you have a large issue that needs looking at, right, that you deserve to look at. Procrastination is a big word that covers a lot of territory, and I hear from people all the time like, oh, I'm such a procrastinator. I never get anything done to the last minute, and I always want to say, no, one gets anything done to the last minute. That's how we know that it's time to get something done is because it's the last minute. Yeah, no, what the last minute is for different people. My sister is one of those people who does all her Christmas shopping in August. But for her, yeah, but for her, August is the last minute, you know, like her internal ometer says now is the moment. Other people have different internal ometers and that whole like, Oh, I haven't you know I've got a presentation on Monday. I haven't worked done it at all. That's probably not true. You've probably been spinning on it and thinking about it, and by the time you actually sit down to make your slides or whatever, you pretty much know what you're gonna do, right. So sometimes what we call procrastination is actually fomentation. What we call procrastination is I just don't care about that right now. But there are other things that we tell ourselves over and over again that I really wanted to sort of pry the lid off of a little bit like this, Like when I hear from people, well, I don't know, you know, I just don't know. I wanted to I think I maybe, but I just I don't know, And I always want to say all right. That tells me that either you are unwilling to trust your inner knowing and or are unwilling to ask someone smarter than you. So which of those two do you want? Do you want to just say, okay, you know what, I think I do know, or I think I know enough to make a guess, or I think I know enough to start for fifteen minutes. Or do you want to find somebody with greater authority and ask them what to do? But either way, get out of this. I don't know, I don't know. I don't know, I don't know, because that's not getting you anywhere.
Speaker 1: Would you say that this practice is like creative therapy without without using psychotherapy as a as a bridge or even a definition. It's I see it as a way for you to regain your awareness of who you are. And that's a real big problem in America because it's like nine to five. I gotta be like the Jones is, I gotta I gotta buy what he's got. We got to have a bigger house, we gotta have a bigger car. And that's just crap. Yes, but our society is still functioning on that level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again, we get to make choices and we get to you know, we can't control much of what's going on out there, but we can control at least some of our own time. We can control our own attention. We can reclaim our own peace and our own curiosity. You know, I can't tell you that this is gonna, you know, magically cure you. But I do get a lot of emails. I had one guy who wrote to me. It was so great. He said he got his my book on audible. He got the audiobook version for free somewhere I don't know where, but you got it for free. And I do the narration of the book. So if you like audiobooks, yeah, oh it's super fun. You know, I was an actor, so it's you.
Speaker 1: Know, it makes sense. Yeah, yeah, inflection and laugh and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: That's right. I wouldn't to let somebody else be my voice. So and I love doing voice work, I really do. So. So he got it on the audio version and he said, he's from Philadelphia, so he's a natural born hater. I'm sure enough. You listened to the first part of it, and he was like, yeah, I don't care for this, this isn't for me. But then he said something sort of kept tapping him on the shoulder about it. So he went back and listened to it, and now he's just finished listening to it for the third time through straight and he started making some very small changes in his own life and seeing some results from those changes, seeing some results from his fifteen minutes's and finally he found himself with the courage to quit the job that he had been trying to quit for nine years. He said, he walked into his boss's office. Oh, ps, his boss is also his dad, which is one of the reasons why it was hard to quit, because it's the family business. So he walks into his dad's office. They're discussing the summer vacation schedule. And the guy says he just took a deep breath and said, right, and then after this date and you know, August, I won't be back. And his dad said, okay, m this thing that works in putting off been dreading thought was going to be a super drama. It was almost a non event. And he's so happy. He's got his next gig lined up, like he's trying new things. He's like, I don't know if it's going to work or not. But ten years of chains fell off of his body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's probably a completely new person after one year.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to hear what happens next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing. Who is this book for? Is this book for people who are in crisis? Creative crisis? Are they? Is this for somebody who is like I need to I realized I just had this birthday. Of course, we hate our birthdays. You just talked about that. I just had a birthday and I just am not in a space I want to be talk about where this book? Who this is for?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean it's as you say, it's an easy read. It's short chapters, it's very conversational. Yeah, there's parts of it that I think are quite funny. There's parts of it that are pretty amusing. There's little exercises and thoughts. But it's not very wu right, It's not like super spiritual. It doesn't ask you to believe anything or take any big leaps of faith. It's a very practical book. Yeah, So I like to think that that widens its appeal. So I think this book is for you. If you have things that you know you want to do that you are not getting to. I think that would be the first thing. If you are tired of talking about how busy and overwhelmed you are, yes, and you would like to replace that vocabulary with something more like rested and fulfilled instead of busy and overwhelmed. I think if you're just curious about yourself, I think this little fifteen minute tool is an incredible key that opens a big door to the infinite uniqueness of you. You each of you are incredibly fascinating, and you've doubled yourself a bit. You know, you've you've let yourself stop noticing how amazing you are. And I think shining that fifteen minute light back on yourself, I think it does have a real therapeutic effect. Sometimes. I think one of the great effects of therapy is just claiming that time, saying that's right, this hour a week is for me, pot on me. I'm talking about me and my issues about me. Yeah, and that just that gesture is really powerful. And I think the same thing. I think taking fifteen minutes to day and saying, you know what this time is for me?
Speaker 1: And when I ask you a question, you brought up something at the very beginning. I'm in the middle of writing. I have two books I'm supposed to be writing, and if I was to do fifteen minutes, that would be nearly enough. But once you get going, is it is it okay to keep going after the fifteen minutes is over and get into an hour or more or.
Speaker 2: Oh of course, right, Mihaim chummy heyes, always talked about flow, right, and when we get into that flow state, that's like the highest best possible state to be in, when we're just when it's just flowing and it's just happening. And absolutely you said sometimes you sit down for fifteen minutes and get up four hours later. It's amazing. We love it when that happens. If you have the time freedom to do that, obviously.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Other times, you know, it's a slog. You're sitting there for fifteen minutes and the you know, fourteen minutes and fifty nine seconds, you're like and we're not like, You're like, I'll tell you I wrote my whole first book. This way I get it done. My first book, I I couldn't decide goes this is it right? I needed it to be perfect inside of my mind before I even started. So I was trying to figure out, like, well, should it be a work book, should it be like one person's journey through this material? Should it be an allegory? Like how should I do it? And finally I thought, Samantha, let the book tell you right, Let the garage tell you. Let the book tell you right. I have a conversation. So I started carry around index cards, and anytime I thought of something that I thought should be on the book, I would write it down on an index card.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I had a Manila envelope on my desk labeled genius. That's at the end of the day, I would just drop the index cards in there, and after a couple of weeks, I'd dump them all out onto the big dining room table. And just started to clump them up. I was like, Oh, here's all the stuff on perfectionism, and here's all the stuff on procrastination, and here's the stuff on marketing when you're a sensitive, creative person. And here like, oh wow, I wrote this twice, apparently I really think that maybe this should like maybe I should start with this because I think this is really important, right, and I just and then when I was writing, oftentimes I would just reach my hand into the thing, pull it in the index card and be like, Okay, that's what I'm writing today.
Speaker 3: Ha ha.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say, I pull out a card and it was like, this is a chapter, you know, this is the Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes sometimes it was the source of a chapter. Sometimes it was just a couple of lines. Sometimes it was a story that I wanted to make sure I included somewhere. But it, you know, it allowed a little I don't know, fortune telling, magic eight ball experience to it, and again allowed me to chunk it out. Because the quickest way to do nothing is to get overwhelmed and quit.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's going to and that's also going to lead to procrastination.
Speaker 2: So and you know, people keep asking me like, Sam, can I really change my life in fifteen minutes a day. I'm like, you already are.
Speaker 1: But the people that are unaware, that's the problem, Sam, is people are not aware. And I think when they see the accomplishments and perhaps maybe a subtle satisfaction like hey, wow, I just did that, Yeah, that's probably the beginning, right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I've got people who've won grants. I've got people who've I've got three books published at least, I mean, not mine, people in my community who just you know, because the other thing that happens, of course, is the body is a pleasure seeking mechanism. So once you start doing this and you start seeing results and it starts feeling really good, you don't need to be motivated to do it.
Speaker 1: You'll want to do it. You know, you can't wait to endorphins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the endorphins, whether it's you know, singing or dancing in the kitchen, or playing an instrument or picking up something that you used to do that you loved. I mean, there's so many ways for you to bring more joy and light into your life without spending a fortune. Again, without you may end up having a divorce your spouse, You may end up having to move to an upstate. I can't tell you where your life is leading, but I can tell you that these little micro movements, like my friend Sark says, micro movements have a profound and exponential effect and again make you more the person that we already love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, and I use this term lightly, but being your authentic self, yeah, is what you're aspiring you. What are your readers to accomplish? She's like, don't be somebody else, discover yourself.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's wonderful, wonderful. The book is the fifteen minute method, the surprisingly simple art of getting it done. And my guest today has been Sam Bennett. Sam, this has been really fun. How can people get a hold of you? What's your website?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can find me at the real Sam Bennett dot com. Okay, the real saying. You know, my team keeps threatening to make the fake Sam Bennett dot which, of course would be me just being like, you know, there was scotch and cigarette. Don't do it, nobody cares. Don't do anything. Nobody cares. But no, find me at the real Sam Bennet dot com. I'm also on all the socials as the real Sam Bennett dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Facebook, Instagram, she's on Twitter, she's on TikTok.
Speaker 2: Really love TikTok.
Speaker 1: That's fun. Wow. YouTube and LinkedIn So you give lectures. I guess read someplace on LinkedIn they have what is that is that LinkedIn's old lecture series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have a program called LinkedIn Learning. It started out as Linda dot com. You might remember Linda dot com from They were one of the first online learning platforms, and then they got bought by LinkedIn, and then LinkedIn got bought by Microsoft. So now LinkedIn Learning is a massive online learning platform and I have over a million course participants on LinkedIn, people from all over the world. That's my trainings and send me emails. It's wonderful. So y'all go over to the realsambannet dot com and hop in on whatever the opt in is, the little freebie, and then you'll be on my email list, which is really how I sort of communicate because I am on all these socials, but I don't always remember to say what I'm doing or that I'm selling something or that something's for sale or whatever. But also you can write to me and tell me about your fifteen minute experience and your projects, and we can be pen pals and best friends. It'll be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think your next book should be the results of using the fifteen minute method. Oh that's a great adaptors in chapters and chapters anyhow, Yes, Sam Bennett, it's been a pleasure, wonderful book and much success. This just came out. For those of you listening. She actually has an audible and you know what I say about audible. If you don't have time to read, listen, it's fantastic the fifteen minute method. Hey, much success.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Cliff, thank you for having me. Thanks for being here, everybody.
Speaker 1: It's great to have Sam on the program. I really want to emphasize that this type of fifteen minute method is really downsizing the old school way of having to journal and meditate and process. You are not getting what you want. And this is what's so nice about these new authors who are distilling these decades of repetitious practice, meditation, journaling, not knowing what's going on. Fifteen minutes a day means that you sit down with a piece of paper or you perhaps have a notepad, and you're just processing. You're either writing, you are taking time to meditate whatever. And I really like the process in this book, so and it's wonderful. Sam did the narration for the audible version, a fifteen minute method. The book just came out. It's only been out for about a month, so Audible or go to Amazon or wherever you get your books to see if you can find it. I think I just saw it on Yeah, it's on Amazon right now, so you can get it right now. The surprisingly simple art of getting it done wow. Really fun. Hey, if you're enjoining Earth Ancients, please consider becoming a subscriber to Patreon. For as little as five dollars a month. You can support the work we do each week on Destiny on Earth Ancients and some of the special series. We have the Biohacking series that's a newbie, and then we have some special programming that comes out every couple of months on the network. Again. To become a subscriber, go to Patreon that's PA t R e O N dot com, Forward Slash Earth Ancients and subscribe. We got a ton of gifts for you. We have first round digital books from our authors as thank yous. We have some unpublished galleries and some interviews and it's just a way for you to return to us, you know, the energy that takes us to put the show out so again. For more information, go to patreon dot com for slash Earth Ancients and subscribe. I'd really appreciate it. It'd be great. All right, that's it for this program. I want to thank my guest today, Sam Bennett, coming to us from Connecticut and her new book, The Fifteen Minute Method. As always, the team of Gail tor Mark Foster and everyone who makes this thing happen. I really appreciate it. All right, take care, be well, and we will talk to you next time.
Speaker 3: Shelling and piclors shellings I have had it, had shellings.
Speaker 1: And its calorous shellings.
Speaker 2: I have had piclorasion. I had it.
Speaker 3: Sells in Methodical Lasion a