Speaker 1: This special episode of the Three Whiskey Happy Hour is coming to you from the Highlands of Sicily.
Speaker 2: Well whiskey coming, take my pay the money.
Speaker 1: Why think alone when you can drink it all In with Ricochet's Three Whiskey Happy Hour, join your bartenders Steve Hayward, John U and the International Woman of Mystery, Lucretia where.
Speaker 3: They slapped it up David, ain't you easy on the should chaps got it?
Speaker 2: Give me.
Speaker 4: So as threatened and the teaser. Lucretia and I are in the Highlands of Sicily.
Speaker 1: Awaiting the arrival of John Yu, who is late as always, but we have a substitute for John who actually we've been wanting to have one for a long time and we just haven't gotten her act together.
Speaker 4: And it's r J Pastrido, the.
Speaker 1: Dean of Graduate Education at Hillsdale College.
Speaker 2: R J. Welcome, Thank you, very good to be here.
Speaker 1: Good it's been long overdue and hopefully first of many, because you know, we have a rotation we want to do now because we you know John sometimes we kick him out after a while and pull on up, Michael if you want to listen in we are podcasting and uh.
Speaker 2: And yes, right yeah, something like that.
Speaker 1: Right, So Archie, before we get into the main topic, you're also a descendant of people from Sicily.
Speaker 2: That's right, which I did not know.
Speaker 4: So where and when and who and how and you know, give us a little thumbnail bio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my grandparents are are all from southeastern Sicily, or at least you know, from when they were very young. And uh so we are not too far from where all of my my people hail from. They were from the small towns around Siakuza, Syracuse, right and now my the relatives that I still see are actually in the city now in Syracuse. So this is say, if this is the first time I get to be on the three Whiskey Happy Hour, I'm very pleased that this is the location we chose for it.
Speaker 1: Right, and listeners should know that while we don't have our usual single multier in front of us while we're taping the night, we are going out for dinner afterwards here in Italy and where we will catch up we will find them in every way imaginable. One more and more detail. I'm just curious about so as your parents came over grandparents.
Speaker 2: To the state, the grandparents when they when they when they were very young. Okay, you know, so really the great grandparents were the ones that that that made the move right. And then my name got changed slightly in Els Island. So it's pees if you go here to to Floridia, where the piece tritos are from, it's p I s.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, oh interesting.
Speaker 1: One reason I was curious is so the town of Anna that we're in I learned when I was reading the war history from World War Two, this was actually the German military headquarters.
Speaker 2: I did not know that. And it was overrun, you know.
Speaker 1: By Patton and Bradley in you know, July of nineteen forty three, and and so you know, I've sort of read about it previously, but now that was in the area.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So Montgomery landed sort of north of Syracuse, and whereas Patton's army landed on the south coast. I forget the long, long, long beach, you know, fifteen or twenty miles of beach. I forget the names of the towns now and let north up the middle. And Montgomery was supposed to go up the east through Catania to cut off everybody in Messina and failed to do so.
Speaker 4: And that's part of the drama of the movie and all the rest of that.
Speaker 1: So and it was fun to actually see the geography and see But then I had never paid attention to the fact that Anna was a primary target to decapitate the German command. So here we are, and of course an old city goes back to I guess Roman times and so forth. In any case, all you most want to talk about you, first of all, is your very provocative paper.
Speaker 3: Before you go there.
Speaker 5: So I just want to say that of all the famous people that I've had the fortune of meeting in my relations with John you and you, the one I'm as actually most excited about was meeting R. J, which I did a year or so ago for the first time.
Speaker 3: As I recall, because.
Speaker 5: Even though I went to Claremont and all of those other things, I never really quite understood progressivism, and still until I started reading Margie right and then I, as I mentioned earlier to him, I've used his class, his excuse me, his text in my class for years to teach progressivism.
Speaker 3: To my students.
Speaker 4: Which one in particular, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, the American progressivism.
Speaker 5: It's a it's a it's got his editorial comments on the all of the different progressive thinkers, which is as it's a three hundred level of American political thought class. But I added that to my class after I read your book.
Speaker 2: Well, that's great to hear when that that that collection came out of the early work that I did on Wilson and the other progressives. And I when I wrote that monograph on Wilson, I had all of this material, and then when I wanted to teach it in class, I had to compile, you know, pounds and pounds of photocopies, and that's when I proposed making a reader out of it. And so I use it for exactly say purpose. You know that you do so, But that's very kind.
Speaker 1: Of you to say, Well, that's why I asked which book, because I think, what was it, Woodrow Wilson and the Founding of a Modern what's the subtitle?
Speaker 2: So the monitor the original monograph I wrote on the topic of progressive it is called Woodrow Wilson and the Roots of Modern Liberalists.
Speaker 4: That's right, thank you.
Speaker 2: And then a couple of read I had a reader of works of Wilson specifically, and then a reader more generally of progressive era works.
Speaker 1: And I don't want to remind you that that we're all getting older, but that book now is twenty years.
Speaker 2: Old, twenty one to be exact.
Speaker 1: And well, I mean that's the book that I think first made you justly famous, right, I mean, that's the book that what's.
Speaker 4: His name on fox back?
Speaker 1: I forgot about this, yes, But more seriously, I mean there's been a lot of our friends had written a lot of good insight, a good analysis of Wilson, but you really put it all together in one place and extended the arguments and I think really crystallized things better than anybody had done before.
Speaker 2: Well, that's very kind of you to say. I always I like to explain it. You know, our good friend Charles Kessler who is our teacher, and he pointed out to us the importance of the progressives, right, and with a lot of different things that Charles's students have written over the years, we had sort of written the books that kind of flow from things that the nuggets that Charles, you know, taught us and pointed us to when we when we were in graduate school. So that's that's how that came out, and it continues to have relevance. Maybe we'll get a chance to talk about it later. Here. But you know the speech by Justice Thomas, pointing to Wilson. You know, I've had people calling me even though the book's twenty twenty some odd years old.
Speaker 4: Oh that's right. He quoted the book in a speech, didn't he.
Speaker 2: I don't know that he quoted me in the speech. I know that the hit on Thomas from Ruth Marcus quoted me.
Speaker 4: Well, congratulations for that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's any distinction.
Speaker 5: Before you forget, you should mention that in because I think you linked to it that r J's piece is also in the symposium that we all did all right for cibas.
Speaker 4: Thomas, it's hard to keep up. I mean there's almost a book book. Well is it? I'll get your your most recent piece in a moment.
Speaker 1: But is it is it fair of me to say that, you know, our prior teacher before that, Jaffa wasn't as onto this as well?
Speaker 4: Put it this way, the most famous book crisis of the House Divide It.
Speaker 1: He mentions Woodrow Wilson once in the briefest mention in passing and seems to kind of approve of him maybe a little bit orctually doesn't disapprove of him.
Speaker 2: It doesn't, doesn't.
Speaker 4: I think maybe Jaffa was not.
Speaker 1: Alert to the way that Wilson had misused Lincoln completely stripped out Lincoln's core teaching from is he has attempted appropriation of Lincoln.
Speaker 2: You put your finger right on it. Because the thing that Jaffa really would not have liked about Wilson on Lincoln would be that Wilson. Wilson hated the theoretical parts of the Declaration of Independence, right, and he oddly thought that Lincoln also didn't like those parts. And that's because Wilson's very clear really didn't read anything Lincoln ever actually wrote or said, right, And so he made that mistake. But you're right about about doctor Jaffa. You know, he had a soft spot for the New Deal, right, and Wilson was an antecedent of the New Deal. I actually was very, I must confess, very reluctant to show him a lot of what I had written on Wilson because I didn't know if he would like it very much, right, And so I sort of stayed under his radar. Right.
Speaker 6: Well, I think I think Marini and d and other people, but I mean I studied with all three of those people and he was not on till I read R.
Speaker 5: Jay's work, But I began to understand the progressive names. I've learned none of that even from from earlier.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: Of course we discuss it all of the time, but I think you really were sort of a pioneer and all of that. Now, I didn't take any classes from Charles Kessler.
Speaker 3: He was barely had barely gotten.
Speaker 2: There when I was.
Speaker 4: He wasn't even unpacked.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so so you know, I might have missed it from that point of view.
Speaker 3: So for me, you are the pioneer. I'm just going to leave it that.
Speaker 5: And I do believe if if if Jaffa understood the Progressives the way that you explained them, he would absolutely agree with everything you said.
Speaker 2: I Well, I like to think so, because Jaffa was so agreeable with with everybody.
Speaker 5: We no I know, but but but but there's the whole point of getting ahead of us. But the whole point of the progressives is their their fundamental denial of a fixed human nature, which was which was Jaffa's central point all.
Speaker 2: Yes, more seriously, I think I think you're you're exactly right about that. Uh, And it's appropriate to kind of be talking about these themes this year, in particular because everybody wants to celebrate the declaration, but I think many do not want to celebrate the actual principles of the time.
Speaker 3: I mentioned it last week in if you heard it about the.
Speaker 4: Hit your microphone? Uh, I've seen misbehaves every week.
Speaker 3: I don't mean too, I'm just anyway. I mentioned it last week.
Speaker 5: I'll mentioned again Katie tour Uh took Johnson Mike Johnson to task for the ridiculous notion that our rights come from God? And are we setting is Mike Johnson setting himself against the Declaration of Independence as if she'd never read it? So, so, you're right, It's the absolutely most important thing I think we could be talking about right now, because so many things follow from that basic understanding. Either there is a fixed human nature that we can know with reasonable certainty and devise a political system consistent with that, or you know, history is what decides what we should be and governments.
Speaker 3: Should tell us what to do.
Speaker 2: Well, as I started my latest piece that Steve mentioned briefly that I suppose we'll get into with a line from Senator Tim Kaine, who made who made lots of news not too long ago by in a Senate hearing, saying he really objected to the idea of natural rights because that meant that your rights came from God and not from government, and by his lights, they should come from the state.
Speaker 4: And that's what the Iranians were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you didn't, you didn't. You didn't include that last pot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. He was a little confused on that point, and poor Ted Cruz tried to straighten him out, but that was a lost mission. Well, let's linger a.
Speaker 1: Bit on the sort of students who are rethinking new vistas in the American political tradition.
Speaker 4: I think John.
Speaker 1: Weddergreen, who died at age forty three, passed away before you arrived in graduate school, so you probably never got to medium, that's right. But you know he had hung out in San Jose State with wedder Green and Marini, and I think Earler John Weddergreen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you said he hung out with wedder Green.
Speaker 1: Oh, sorry, wet Green hung out with Marini and earlier up at Yeah, I just up at San Jose State in the late sixties, early seventies, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah he was he was a professor at San Jose.
Speaker 1: Right, but he I think the story was He was Jaffa's first graduate student way back at Ohio State in the late fifties early sixties, and so his great unfinished work that still circulates in Sammy's dad was, oddly enough.
Speaker 4: Really brilliant stuff.
Speaker 1: We're still talking about trying to update and publish at Tom West and I have talked about this every few years, but it was very jaffa esque in this sense. It was a very pro New Deal and very pro Franklin Roosevelt. And we've argued about it some and you read some parts of it, and anyway, he didn't he skipped Royal The progress was straight from the New Deal and gave an argument kind of like Conrad Black's argument. And you know, I love Conrad, but he can be kind of adult sometimes about American politics.
Speaker 4: He recently said a declaration was a bunch of debtors trying to escape their debts. It was really stupid.
Speaker 1: It was very disappointing for a guy otherwise like a lot anyway, So there's that.
Speaker 5: I think if John had had lived and I had his untimely death, he would have come around to RJ's opinion.
Speaker 4: Too, I think.
Speaker 5: So I remember, for some reason the thing that I remember most about John water Green it is it is relevant, is him talking about the regulatory state and explaining that one of the outcomes of the of the regulatory.
Speaker 3: State was the saddle toilet seat.
Speaker 5: Yes, And I was a dumb kid, and I just looked up and I said, what does that even mean? What's a saddle? And he said, I'm not going to explain it to you, young lady. You'll just have to figure it out for yourself. But so my point is.
Speaker 3: Is he understood the dangers of.
Speaker 5: A regulation of bureaucratic exploitation of power.
Speaker 3: He understood all of those things.
Speaker 5: So I can't believe that ultimately, if he had finished the book, he would have come down on this side of the New Deal.
Speaker 4: Well this is a go ahead.
Speaker 2: Well no, So I do think today there's a tendency we actually see it a little bit more of some conservatives to have a kind of generous view of the New Deal and of kind of the turn to a more let's just say, you know, robust common enterprise. But that's partly because I think they tend to see the nineteenth century and the founding and a little bit too simplistic terms. They see very libertarian terms right, and so they think, well, if I don't like hyper individualism, if I don't like libertarianism, you know, it's sort of like the Founding in the nineteenth century, we're like a libertarian dreamland. And so well, gosh, now I'm a conservative who's more communitarian, and I gosh, maybe the progressors had something right, maybe the New Dealers had something right. And so they see this kind of black and white. And of course that's not the way to see either the Founding or the nineteenth century.
Speaker 1: That's the problem with that, right, Well, this is actually a good segue to your paper.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The working title of John Wettergreen's book was total Regulation.
Speaker 2: I remember the.
Speaker 4: First time I saw it.
Speaker 1: I was still a graduate student, still didn't know enough about anything, and what I thought it went was just bigger and bigger bureaucracy and you know, counterproductive economic regulation.
Speaker 2: And it's not that at all.
Speaker 4: It really was the sort of first cut.
Speaker 1: And a lot of what we Claire monsters have subsequently done about.
Speaker 4: No, this is not an economic issue. It's a constitutional issue. It's the form of rule by experts.
Speaker 1: And by the way, Lucreatia one of his other examples in the book is the National Highway Transportation Safety Board or one of those things. They wanted to invent a safer motorcycle, and so they had some government lab come up with this motorcycle that essentially it had training wheels and work fine and more stable, except that under thirty miles an hour it lost its stability, would fall over on you and break your leg, And John said, proving that the only safe.
Speaker 4: Motorcycle is a car.
Speaker 2: So why are they doing this?
Speaker 1: Right? But what makes the government think that they're the ones who could need to figure out this problem?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Anyway, But that brings us to what is now.
Speaker 1: I think much more fully fleshed out. The phrase administrative state was once the obscure, clunky term in the backwaters of political science, even though it goes back to the forties, and now it's just about on everyone's lips, including even the people who defend it.
Speaker 4: Right, they'll use that term.
Speaker 1: So victory of nomenclature for us, And of course your book described for us the philosophy of how we got here.
Speaker 4: So first of all, so three part three.
Speaker 1: Questions I want to work through, and Lucretia, you may have some The first is is just give it a thumbnail description of how you describe the administrative state to people. And then I'll ask about where we are now, what's happening at the current moment, it seems promising, And then I have a third question.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, I think as as to the first, it's basically it's a question of what we mean by Republican government, and it's it's you know, there's this confusion about labels today because of course we're told that Donald Trump and the Republican Party are the great enemies of democracy.
Speaker 3: Our democracy trademark, our.
Speaker 2: Democracy trademark, and and and so they they think that it is an assault on democracy to take power away from unelected bureaucrats and to give it to elected officials like the president. That is framed as an assault on democracy. So when independent agencies who are accountable to nobody, who never have their administrators, don't have to run for election, when when they are brought to heal by an elected president, this is an assault on our democracy, we're told.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And so I am hoping that at least all the current attention that you mentioned may help shine a little light on how observed that is. And so I tried to reset that for audiences when I talk about what's going on in the Trump administration and the administrative state, to say, well, first of all, before we get into the weeds, let's understand what's at stake here. You either govern yourselves laws you make, or laws that your elected representatives make, or other people that you cannot hold accountable govern you. And which do you want? And then we go from there.
Speaker 4: Right, Oh, that's good.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: One of the examples I use with people, it's now fifteen years old, but I think it's a good one. I may use it here with our Italian friends, is back around twenty ten, I'll say Boeing Aircraft wanted to locate one of its manufacturing facilities in South Carolina, a non union state, right to work state, and the National Labor Relations Board jumped in and tried to stop them, now bowing I think ultimately prevailed in court. But still the point is is that I know of a CEO who was on one of those business councils with Obama, and he asked him, how can this what's happening here? And Obama's answer, maybe you know it was, oh that that's not me, that's the National Labor Relations Board and they're independent in me, there's.
Speaker 4: Nothing I can do about it. Just stop and say, really, is that how our governments supposed to run?
Speaker 1: And so you know, one of the cases pending, I think, is whether Trump can remove someone from National Labor or maybe he's already one that I've lost from that. So the point is, you can you know, president should be able to fire these people.
Speaker 2: And that's right, Yeah, that's that's how. That's the only way in which voters in which the people who are sovereign in the country have any control over the bureaucrats who largely govern us. It's it's the way I explain it to people is to think of any any organization, any any business. You know. The only I work at Hillsdale College. The only reason that I have to listen to what Larry Arne says and do you know run the graduate program at Hillsdale like he wants me to, is he'll fire me if I don't. Uh. And that's that's very simple. And he could not be he could not do his duty to his bosses, our trustees right unless he had the ability to hire and fire his subordinates in the workings of the and anyone who who's ever had a job understands this concept very very straightforwardly. So, uh, it's very convenient of Barack Obama to say, you know, hey, I can't what can I do about the NLRB. I think that's more reflection one of how good a politician he was. But also, you know, we have to understand that when we talk about the administrative state, it's really hard to generalize because some parts of it are more accountable to the president than others, so fully independent, they are all kinds of different agencies, and so it is we should maybe have that as a general caveat, you know, for our audience and ourselves to say we're kind of generalizing about some things where there are lots of different types.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, I mean the president can fire the administrator of the EPA, for example, you bet, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: One of the points you make very well in your in your paper is that that really makes no sense to have that distinction between an independent regulatory agency and an otherwise executive agency, because, as you point out, they all exercise executive power, and the Constitution clearly says that executive power shall be vested in a president of the United States.
Speaker 3: It's nothing else I wanted to.
Speaker 5: I actually wanted to do a little deep dive into your article and and ask you about the what you call the the hard.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I lost it. Forgive me everyone.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm even more inarticulate than use than usual because of.
Speaker 3: Hard look review.
Speaker 5: So if an agency, if the president is trying to reign in the bureaucracy, and he does so an agency, he does so on using the argument that hey, I'm the person who was elected by the American people to run the executive branch, and that should be enough for me to win in the courts to say, yes, I should be able to do this.
Speaker 3: Explain what the court is said about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I should say at first that this is you know, I'm sure the audience understands, what a what a what a powerful podcast this is because we go from the the abstractions of you know, political philosophy down to hard look review in a you know, kind of an obscure concept and administrative law you know, all within you know, two minutes. So this is great. No, it's very important. Unfortunately, it's very important.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I guess I would, you know, without getting too much into the weeds, I would say, the so called hard look review a process is the term used when courts use a part of the Administrative Procedure Act, which is the law that governs how how agencies can do what they do. When they use a part of that to to sort of look at agency policy making and and for it's a way for judges to insert themselves. It basically is the Act basically is there. The purpose of it was to try to make sure that agencies, when they do what they do, that they have reasons that they're not allowed to do things arbitrarily or capriciously. And so when an administrative agency makes a rule, it doesn't get to kind of do what like you might do to a small child, you know, do what I told you because I said so, And administrative agency can't do that. It has to give reasons, and so the court has to be able to go in and review the reasoning of an agency. So that's all well and good on paper, but the reality is that really since the sixties and seventies, courts have used the hard loook review process as a way to insert them basically the second guess everything that the administrative state does. Now, this has been kind of this has been a little bit of a hard concept to understand because that insertion by the judiciary sticking its nose in where it doesn't belong, into the business of the executive itself led to a reaction by conservative jurists like Antonin Scalia and others who then set up other doctrines in administrative law which were designed to keep the judiciary out of the business of the bureaucracy. And that the infamous one here is the Chevron deference. Well, this has also been a very bad thing because it meant that agencies after that were then left free to go do whatever the heck they wanted to do, free from any kind of scrutiny. And so we were sort of caught in this in this purgatory where you know, well, who do you want these unaccountable war in court era judges running policy or do you want these administrators in the modern you know, the administrative state running running policy. Well the answer is both neither, and in the.
Speaker 5: Latter case, not just running policy, but determining how far their powers go.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was one of the most pernicious parts of deference. The doctrine that the courts had come up with, which again was originally from some conservatives in the judiciary because they didn't want the liberals and the war in court second guessing executives in the Nixon administration and the Ford administration. So basically, the Court said, look, the judiciary should defer to agencies when agencies interpret laws, because they're the experts on these things. The big problem with that is one of the major questions that an agency comes across when it looks at a law is how much power does this law give us in our agency? And the insane thing about Chevron deference, which has been killed off by a Supreme Court a couple of years ago, thank god, But the insane thing about Chevron defference was the doctrine said, well, when an agency reads a statute to figure out how much power it has, we defer to the agency. In other words, it is it is the judge. It is the best judge of the extent of its own power. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, I used to joke that Joe, people who aren't policy wonks or follow the.
Speaker 4: Law, I'd say, look, I think of it this way. You might, like me, have a Chevron gasoline credit card that has a limit. It's just for gasoline. The Chevron decision gives them a get out of jail free card for regulations with no limit.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's the hyperbole, but there's something to do that, right.
Speaker 5: I want to just one one further point on this whole idea of expert You know that we're told by everyone, even you mentioned conservatives a little bit earlier, and I was thinking, another thing that seems to drive many conservatives is this idea. Is they take seriously the notion that we have to have this massive bureaucratic state, administrative state, because we're such a complex technological society, and so there's no way to have good government without this huge because we can't trust Congress to do it. And so I just want to ask you leave that aside. I just want to ask you if you think that things like the Fauci situation and climate change, the latest nonsense about all the everything we've been fed a bill of goods, With fed a bill of goods, it makes a force tonight that is there a possibility that that creates yet another sort of opening for a pushback against the administrative state Because people just don't believe in experts anymore. They don't trust the CDC, they don't trust, you know, on.
Speaker 3: And on and on.
Speaker 2: Indeed, no, I mean, this was the silver lining of COVID because for those of us who for decades have been writing about the administrative state, I mean, and let's face it, maybe even some listeners to your podcast their eyes have already glazed over and we started talking about the administrative state. But it's it was very hard to get people to understand how impactful, how important this was. And we could talk about climate change regulation and other kinds of things, but it wasn't until COVID when people had to live under the minute rule of alleged experts, when that whole business got exposed for the scam Lucretia mouth the word I'd all just say it out allowed the scam that it was. And so now it's actually much easier for me to go and talk to audiences about the pretensions to expertise and how this actually infects lots of different ways that were governed, because I could always refer to the COVID experience, and you're right, there's an opening now.
Speaker 3: Before that, it was the DMV.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just sort of you know, the idea that you had to have expertise to work at the DMV just left people anyway.
Speaker 2: So or one of the famous examples that I would teach an administrative law was, you know, this long debate went on for years and years and years, many or filings and everything else over whether peanut butter, in order to be called peanut butter, had to have ninety percent peanuts or could only be eighty seven percent, right, you know, really exciting things like that. Right.
Speaker 1: Well, the I mean I do think that well, general proposition that undergird some of the recent cases that you've mentioned is it does seem to me that the administrative state is on its back foot, it's.
Speaker 4: On the defensive. Right now. Partly COVID was a real blow, but I think the case against it was building even before then.
Speaker 1: You were starting to see, you know, even Justice Scalia, before he died, was changing his mind about Chevron, right he supposed.
Speaker 4: That's what you hear widely about it. And I think he realized that it was a mistake because he defended it for a long time.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: I always though maybe've heard me say this, I'll say it again, Lucreas is born. But the Chevron case in nineteen eighty four was the case the Reagan administration one and the environmentalists lost, and in the short run, maybe it did help the Reagan administration, which this is something Weddgreen pointed out. The reg administration failed earlier, really earlier. They were not going to get serious regulatory reform because Congress was against it and judges run sympathetic, I mean lobbings. Trump is one on the Reagan people could never have won on and the courts is then constituted.
Speaker 4: So they thought, let's do regulatory.
Speaker 1: Relief within the administrative latitude we have. They did a lot of that, but of course that just gets swept away the next time you have the administration's.
Speaker 4: Changed in this case.
Speaker 1: In the in the eighties and nineties, you didn't need the other party takeover. You just needed somebody named President Bush to increase regulation again.
Speaker 2: Right, No, in fact, I'm sorry, I'm just sorry.
Speaker 4: I'm going on too long.
Speaker 1: The point is now it's on the defensive and we're seeing these cases now.
Speaker 4: The just no, Actually, we are gonna.
Speaker 1: Exercise the oversight of what instead of your powers and other things happening and people saying Congress, the courts, in Congress, you need to do your job, don't pass vague statutes. You know, there used to be lots of little supreme little cases, usually a criminal law about they would void a conviction saying void for vagueness.
Speaker 4: That's criminal statutes.
Speaker 1: Just you big, I'm sorry, you go back to work and write something more specific.
Speaker 3: Because they don't know what they're doing. They're not excellent.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm coming, well, I'm coming to well, I do want to ask the Congress question.
Speaker 4: But anyway, I don't know when you want to add to all that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would just say that it's part of the argument that I had made in the recent provocation, the recent monograph that I wrote, was that that you're quite correct that within the last ten to twenty years, the environment in the courts, at the Supreme Court at least, has been much more favorable to reconsidering the sort of carte blanche that the administrative state has, and there had been you know, rulings again very much kind of Robert's style. I know he's a great object of Lucretia's credit, but I mean, and by the way, I should say Lucretia, it was it was Justice Roberts who said in the City of Arlington case in twenty thirteen, he said, the danger of the administrative state is is just you know, he actually was like, you know, the scale cell from his eyes or something.
Speaker 3: But as you pointed out, sorry.
Speaker 2: He's very increased, very incremental, very incremental. So but over the last ten or twenty years, there's a better environment in the courts. And clearly the folks in the Trump in Trump world, especially during the interregnum, had been paying very careful attention to this because the courts had sort of set up this environment where they had teed up several of these core long time precedents, and as soon as the president came into the second term, it's why you saw this just flooding the zone of going after these agencies. That wasn't people like, oh, it's Trump just going crazy and firing from the hip. Now. Actually it was some really smart, observant people who were close to him who had this stuff lined up. They knew exactly what agencies to go after, exactly the arguments to use. In a lot of the executive orders. If you read those, they're using the language of the Supreme Court opinions from the last ten years. So they knew exactly what they were doing. And that's why I think we're kind of on the verge right now, having some pretty major substantive Supreme Court your rulings coming out in the next month or so.
Speaker 4: So they've really teed this up. They have, you know, sort of a broader political point.
Speaker 1: But the other day occurred to me that, you know, Trump, by the time in these office will have been the dominant political figure in the country and in the world for twelve years.
Speaker 4: That's almost as long as Roosevelt was.
Speaker 1: What happened as you had Biden in the middle, it increasingly looks like this misadventure and a mistake interrupting it. But during that time, not only were some cases won, like was a'n epa versus West Virginia, then that happened during Biden or at least well the Harvard case anyway, which is important to right that happened while Biden was president. The point is, it looks like this irrelevant little side show and detour, and it's starting to look more like an era. But their point is that I think you've alluded to this just now. The Trump people, the Trump team, they spent those four years in exile, so to speak, thinking it through what they were going to do, and they really had a plan and learned a lot from their first term and watched them anyway.
Speaker 2: They did, and you know, quite honestly, in the first term, and you know, they might not put it in these terms, but they got their doors blown off in terms of trying to do regulatory reform, and they smarted from that, and they learned, and the second term has been very, very different. And you know, there are lots of things that those of us on the conservative side, you know, you get frustrated with in terms of the first year year and a half now of the Trump administration, opportunities and things like that, some of the crazy district courts and other problems. But this is the one area where things have been i wouldn't say quietly, but almost quietly, kind of humming along beneath the surface. These agencies really have been I'm certainly not going to say turned around. That'd be way too much to hope. But a lot has been done very substantively, a little bit out of the public eye, because let's face it, this topic is kind of boring, which is a good thing, and I think it's they'd much rather rule for you the immigrant rights and things like that. That's sexier stuff, but the administrative state. I hope they keep being quiet about that because lots of goods being done right now.
Speaker 5: So, at the risk of showing my hand entirely on my conference paper, I do want to throw this at you for a moment. So starting with Obama and the IRS scandal. Do you remember that when Obama was confronted on someone I think by Stephanopplis, somebody asked him about it and he said, he said, I read it the IRS scandal where the IRS was targeting conservative groups like the Tea Party, not so much denying them because the law had prevented that, but slow rolling and this kind of thing.
Speaker 3: And when it.
Speaker 5: Became a big scandal, Obama was asked about it and he said, I found out about it just like you did in.
Speaker 3: I read it in the papers. So that was Obama creating this, creating this sort of.
Speaker 5: That's not my responsibilities, you pointed out, just with an LRB case. And then jumping ahead quickly, Biden. We talked about on this podcast an article I got to pull it up.
Speaker 3: I don't remember who wrote it, but it.
Speaker 5: Was some liberal progressive hack who said, we don't care if Biden is senile. We don't care at all that Biden is seenw It doesn't matter because all of the great things we progressives are doing in this Biden administration can be done no matter what. And they're certainly not going to be done if somebody else is, you know, and and so you go from this, I didn't know anything about it too well.
Speaker 3: The administrative state has taken over. Trump is fighting against that.
Speaker 2: He is, and and I think that I think what you're the general concept you're, you're, you're you're pointing to is the administrative state. The Left has come to understand that the administrative the administrative state is its proxy. So this is why I mean, for for example, if a generation or so ago, uh an administrator had got gone up before a Congressional committee and had you know, thumbed his nose at the congressional committee as as you know Lois Learner did, as as you know Coscina did, and some of these other you know, I R S types. You know that that all of Congress, both parties the Institution would have circled the wagons and and would have would have said no, no, no, hey, you better you better behave yourself where Congress, we're your appropriators, we want some institutional risks back. I mean, you know, if you had, if you were a bureaucrat, you got called up in front of Rostenkowski or John Dingle or what you know, that was your worst nightmare. What we saw more recently is the administrators know that the Democrats in Congress have their back, and so the Democrats they don't want anything done to the administrative state. They don't want to meddle with the administrative state because they can go on in the legislature just sort of signposting and you know, using their positions as a media platform. And meanwhile, the really the real work of advancing leftism in the country is done by the administrators. And so the administrators know that half of Congress is it's out. Well, let's be honest, more than half of Congress is its ally and that's a change in the last generation that Trump is really, you're quite correct, it really trying to push back against it. And it's why they're screaming bloody murder.
Speaker 1: Marini was saying that John Mariney was saying this forty years ago that the administrative state is the partisan inst the Democratic Party. But Republicans will never say that they just complain about big government.
Speaker 2: Is a wise man.
Speaker 5: To those conservatives that you're talking about. Uh, you you really do have to understand that the Democratic Party, the administrative state is a creature of the left or the Democratic Party because of progressivism, because it advances everything that they believe in. And if you are a conservative, uh, a true conservative, and you understand that every exercise of government power has to should be you know, absolutely defended, and and and you know, be the minimalist possible all those other things.
Speaker 3: If you accept the premises of.
Speaker 5: The New Deal, or those premises of the idea that we have a vast technological commercial society that needs to be regulated given.
Speaker 2: It's baked in. So I'll tell you how explain this to my students after the law student. And I hesitate to do this or for audience. The great, the great uh, Michael McConnell is is in earshot, so I hesitate to say this in front of him. But you know, the the the law follows the politics, not the other way around. And so when I teach administrative law and the students are trying to figure out, well, gosh here. For a couple of decades, the courts seem to be really clamping down on the administrators. And now then it changes and for another couple of decades, the courts are really letting, letting the agencies, you know, go wild. And I say, right, that's true. The courts are kind of all over the place, but the ideology is always in the same direction. So if if letting the agencies go wild is conducive to leftist ideology and policy, they're gonna let They're gonna let the agencies go wild. If the agencies, uh need need to be chastened by the courts, as they did in the sixties and seventies, especially during the capture era, when the idea was you know these out these environmental outfits that you love so much them, you know, when they were going into court and and the NRDC and the Sierra Club and taking the the agencies to the court saying, hey, you're not regulating zealously enough. Right, Uh, then the courts are gonna use hard loook review un lucretia. To go back to your earlier question, They're gonna use hard look review to stick their nose in and and really make the you know mastheus the e p A. H. During the Bush administration is a very good example of this, where where the court said, hey, Bush, E p A. You're not regulating climate change aggressively enough, We're gonna make you do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So let me ask you a question.
Speaker 5: Will will Trump be any more successful at eliminating the Department of Education than Reagan was?
Speaker 2: Gosh, I don't know. I'm never right about making predictions. I mean, look, I don't think it's going to be eliminated. I don't see how that gets done because it needs Congress.
Speaker 4: Oh well, I want to ask about Congress anyway, but they say more if you want to.
Speaker 2: No. I mean, that's that I think is the long and the short of it. I know they're doing as much as they can without the legislature.
Speaker 5: And the only thing, the only thing I think argues a little bit in Trump's favor, is simply the fact that whole business about experts and elites. Every single time someone talks about eliminating the Department of Education, they bring out test scores that have done nothing, but after billions of dollars, Title one, etcetera, etcetera, have done nothing.
Speaker 3: But I mean, our students are stupid. They can't read anymore. Public schools are a.
Speaker 2: Nightmare except a Hillsdale College.
Speaker 3: Except well, I'm talking, don't you have a charter school.
Speaker 4: Then we've got them all over the country.
Speaker 1: We have them all over the country. We have a private classical academy. Okay the way, Sorry, I can't help it, but it fits on. There was this article that other day in the Wall Street Journal about why the falling fertility rates everywhere? And the article is debunking all the theories, and there's a little of that I thought they left went out.
Speaker 4: I think it was forty years ago. Jesse Helms said, look.
Speaker 1: Clearly, we should teach sex education schools because then no one would know how to do it.
Speaker 4: And here we are now with falling fertility rates.
Speaker 2: May is such a crazy Okay, I haven't heard that story. That's a good one.
Speaker 1: I want to ask about Congress because this was something that again Marini and a bunch of our friends were writing about in the eighties, which was it had been enfeebled by the administrative state. The original case was a little wasn't quite as worked out as it is now. But one example he brought climate change. They were yelling at Lee Zelden, saying, you've just made it impossible for the government to fight climate change, and Zelden was very good.
Speaker 4: That crazy woman from Connecticut.
Speaker 2: Of Rosa Beloros used to be my representative.
Speaker 1: I got to say, well, I thought he did miss an opportunity saying no, the federal government has the power to regulate climate change very aggressively, but has to come from you directly.
Speaker 4: You guys have a.
Speaker 1: Job you can do so, you know, in the major questions doctrine, and so, I don't know if you want to say a little bit about is there any sign that Congress is going to de and feeble itself.
Speaker 4: I think they've lost their ability to legislate the way they used to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the difficulty is well, actually, let me let me start differently. One piece of good news is this is not hard to undo if we want to undo it. The administrative state is not baked into the Constitution. You don't have to go through all of that. Congress created it with the stroke of a pen. It can uncreate it with the stroke of a pen. It's ordinary legislation. Congress willingly emasculated itself, and so it can undo that theoretically. I do think, though, you know, the great difficulty now, quite honestly, is the is really in the Republican Party, Because that's President Trump's greatest, greatest difficulty, the reason why you know, he controls not only the presidency but nominally both houses of Congress, but he doesn't really have a working majority in either house, and certainly not in the Senate. And if people talk about getting rid of the filibuster, because then you know, we could rule with fifty one and we don't have fifty one. We don't have anybody close to fifty one, and so there's a long row to ho there. And I think the Democratic Party, by contrast, is a little more willing to use their legislative power, as we saw even in the minority. Right, so they had this policy that the bureaucracy was pursuing, the the ice policy, which many of us approve of under Trump. Well, the legislators in Congress in the Democratic Party didn't approve of that. So what did they do. They refused to vote to fund it. They still have not right, and you know what I say, good for them. I mean I disagree with the policy, but good for them. They're exercising their legislative power. Whereas if you reverse the situation, how many times during the Obama administration were the Republicans in the majority in the legislature and all they had to do to stop funding Obamacare or any other thing that Republicans don't refuse used to vote for. No, they were afraid of the public debate. Democrats have not been afraid of the public todate. No good, you know, good for them. The Republicans need to start need to start playing speak language.
Speaker 5: So Schumer came in very good, it's very good. I have no idea what day it is, but came out very recently and said that he would filibuster an attempt to pass to have the entire Senate vote on a bill that would let me I'm probably going to get the details of this a little bit wrong, but the trans the public schools who don't tell parents that they are socially transgendering that federal government.
Speaker 3: Senate had a.
Speaker 5: Bill to to make that illegal for public schools to do. Chuck Schumer said, we will filibuster it before we let this come to a vote on the on the floor, because of course they don't want their members on an eighty twenty issue having to vote as John Thune never said that and let me ask you quickly because since Steve's going to tell me you we have to go soon, and I'm so excited about this conversation, I want to go back. What do you think about the since we've been here on a we're recording on a Wednesday yesterday where the primary final races in Texas.
Speaker 3: What do you so? So Trump has had some victories.
Speaker 5: One of the things I've seen on social media sitting doing nothing waiting for this or that, is that a lot of people in social media, conservatives are saying that this isn't about Trump, this is about the people have had it.
Speaker 3: Yeah with rhinos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you know, I mean, I think that's right. I think that the so there's there's a sort of a long term and an immediate and a shorter term question to go to what I think you're getting at the situation that I just spent two minutes ranting about in Congress. That's not going to change with the likes of Senator Cassidy or Senator Cornan in positions of power in the Republican Party in the Senate. It's just not. And so I think long term, until the Republican Party genuinely becomes the Party of Constitutionalism, the party that wants to restore true Republican government. This is going to go on. I mean, this is a kind of a nice period for Republicans and controlling the executive branch with a guy who's pretty darn aggressive. But by and large, this is kind of rearranging the deck chairs if the party legislatively doesn't get its act together. So well, just before everyone starts screaming, you know, well, we're going to lose a Senate because of course that may you know, I am concerned about this. Steve and I were talking about this before we went on air. You know, I do think you have to be prudent and you got to calculate, And yeah, I'm glad to see the John Cornyns of the world get kicked out of the Senate, but gosh, I hope we don't have to spend one hundred million bucks and maybe lose that seat. You know, so we do have through practical.
Speaker 4: Let's least my exit question for this time, ten.
Speaker 3: One hundred million dollars for him to lose the seat. She can always find the silver lining, would I agree on it?
Speaker 1: She always finds the dark cloud around a silver lining. The next question is this, So we've laid out that take a note of intellectual changes, court decisions, an aggressive executive and so on a scale of one to ten, ten being best, where would you place sort of the progress towards a constitutional.
Speaker 4: Restoration that you think we need to be the goal?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I would do letter Grave that we have great inflation, so I'll put.
Speaker 2: It above five. I will say this, I never thought I would be alive to see some of the reform that we have already seen. And I think that, you know, for all the things people don't like about Trump and I and you know, I get it. You know, we all have our little things that we could could name, but for any serious conservative to reflect and to think about things that have happened that that we never thought we would see. Uh. And I have, you know, many many friends in the conservative legal establishment who really don't like Trump. And one of the things I always say to them is, look, you know, one of these days you're going to be in front of a judge, maybe in front of the Supreme Court. You're going to have an opportunity to argue a case for real constitutional reform that you believe in. And the reason why you're going to have a chance at winning that case is because Donald Trump was president, right, and if you don't get that, you don't understand anything about politics. Yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 1: I mean it was like I was totally wrong, but everything you know, I don't like it. Every elected he would tell, you.
Speaker 3: Know, okay, but you're still my friend. I know.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite, one of my favorite me recently. It's on a whole different domain, but it makes the point you're making. It showed the sort of the Bush national security team, you know, the little picture they all have, very fancy and I said, imagine telling these people that the president of baumb Dubron was the host of The Apprentice.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 1: You couldn't if he took the script to Hollywood and projected right, you couldn't see it coming.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: I don't know that he understands well. I remember John is the expert on this.
Speaker 3: I wish for this part, I wish John was.
Speaker 5: You know, it's hard to believe that Donald Trump understands these things that we've been talking about at this level. I don't know that he does, but he has amazing instincts for doing the right thing constitutionally he has amazing instincts for finding in the Constitution and in his executive powers the ability to do the right thing.
Speaker 4: I just wish he didn't find of an article twelve. Now we do have to go to it and do you have some.
Speaker 1: Just to give us a couple here, because we are we're supposed to muster here in a few minutes to go.
Speaker 5: I would have said that, you know, nobody's saying that Democrats who vote for Platiner as opposed to Democrats anyways, never mind, Platiner smooth things over with Democrats by covering nets Nazi tattoo with hammer and sickle.
Speaker 3: It's not even funny. It's not funny media to just start reporting when Trump wasn't shot at We don't even.
Speaker 5: Talk about it on the on on our podcast anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we don't see it even worse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, d n C twenty twenty four election autopsy just Joe Biden's actual autopsy.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well, our credo is buy more books, always drink your whiskey.
Speaker 2: Meat.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the three Whiskey Happy Hour sponsored by the Cibaitas Institute, produced and hosted by ricochet dot com.
Speaker 4: And we'll be back next week. Oh and coming to you this week from Enna, Italy.
Speaker 1: And we'll be back next week from who knows where. But for now, Bye bye, everybody, don't go what thank you?
Speaker 7: R J yeah
Speaker 2: Ricochet Join the conversation