Speaker 1: Millions of people are preparing to watch Wednesday's total solar eclipse, which will be visible across parts of Europe and the Arctic. Here in the UK, there'll be around ninety percent coverage of the Sun. As our science correspondent Palab Ghosh explains.
Speaker 2: I'm in northern Spain, which is going to be experiencing a total eclipse. So essentially what happens is that the Earth, the Moon and the Sun completely aligned. The Moon blocks out the bright disk of the Sun and what we see is the Sun's corona. And those excited people witnessed an incredible sight. Now, not everyone is going to see this. If you're in either side of the path of totality, you'll see what's called a partial eclipse. Of people in the UK will experience that, but even that is particularly spectacular.
Speaker 1: So Palam is in Spain, which is going to be one of the best places to see it, as is the astronomer and science communicator Nigel Henbest and his wife Bridget Brown. Hello to both, I am so you've traveled to Spain searching basically for the perfect spot? Have you found the perfect spot? First of all, okay.
Speaker 3: You never know about the weather. I mean, as an astronomer, I can tell you exactly where and when you're going to see the totality. But the weather is always fingers crossed. But we are just to the north of Ridgridge in La Rioca as well, village called Santa Mingo dela Cazada. It's cloudy around the coast of Spain. We've got a fingers cross it's going to be clear inland.
Speaker 1: Okay, we hope, we hope for the best for you there. So just first of all, then Nigel talk us through what is it that's special about what we're going to see tomorrow.
Speaker 3: When the moon moves right in front of the sound, as Palad just said, it blocks out the sun itself. So that familiar sun in our sky disappears into my mind as if an alien being has put something crazy in the sky in its place, a black center, and then the rays of the corona coming out and look like something we've never seen before. Take away the sun, put something totally agent in in its place. And I'm a scientists, but it kissed me.
Speaker 4: In the gut.
Speaker 1: Bridget what about you? What do you like about this?
Speaker 4: So I'm not an academic or a scientist. I'm just an everyday person working for the county. I had seen several eclipse but not total, and I thought, what is the big deal about a total I've seen six, I've seen ninety eight percent coverage. And my husband kept insisting, you have to see totality or it will change you. So in Arkansas that two and a half years ago, we drove through eight stakes, up and down searching for the perfect spot. Cloud covers, word, and pivot. I heard several times, and when I saw my first total eclipse, I totally got it. I'm hooked and now I'm eclipse chaser.
Speaker 1: Chaser. Sorry to jump in there, bridge an eclipse chaser. I like it. So this is this is what you plan to do. Wherever you can get the best viewing spot. You're going to travel then.
Speaker 4: If way is necessary, I'm going to do my best to get there.
Speaker 3: So produce is a read book to cruise the Mediterranean for next year when we have the longest the clipse of this century that we're looking at, plans against Sydney for the year after. So yeah, yeah, one driving expeditions.
Speaker 4: Now I think my daughter Sophine Sarah will be with me on the next eclipse. Because once you see it. You're always going to want to see Tor Talent.
Speaker 1: I love it. This just seems like a good excuse for a good jolly and a good holiday as far as I can hear. But absolutely all here for it. That is wonderful. And just talk us to a little bit of the science theory. As you mentioned, we got the explanation from Palab there talking at Nigel, but just tell us a bit more about the significance of how this works and why.
Speaker 3: We normally can't see the Sun's out atmosphere the corona at all. It's a million times fainter than the Sun's surface with a blue sky in the way, you can never see it from the Earth's surface. Now, we do have satellites in space which can take images of the solar corona, but they find it difficult. Just say that close juncture close to price surface of the Sun and really faint corona so it clips when the moon sharp ridge cots it off. Mean you can see the details down right near the Sun's surface we can never see any other way. So it's not just something amazing for us to see that. There's serious science going on to understand the solar wind, which is the stream of particles coming out from the Sun, solar flares which are eruptions on the Sun's surface, great explosions, and then the solar weather these storms on some which can affect us on the Earth. They can affect communications, They can knock out satellites which relay television and other signals back to the Earth. So understanding space weather and be able to predict it as very important consequences for us on Earth.
Speaker 1: Fascinating. Nigel Bridget, brilliant to speak to you, and good luck tomorrow for finding the right spot. We hope you do. Thank you so much, thank you, thank you, thank you. And if you're not traveling around Spain right now looking for the perfect spot, then join us tomorrow here BBC News special live coverage from our teams of reporters on the path of the eclipse as it happens live here BBC News from five o'clock tomorrow