Speaker 1: Multiple people in my family clean my father, are veterans.
Speaker 2: Troops that have been to war and now they're back.
Speaker 3: And think and be grateful for their.
Speaker 4: Service, sacrifice, love for their country, just unselfishness, all that they do for us.
Speaker 2: There are some people in this country who take extraordinary steps to provide for the freedom and security.
Speaker 5: We forget that those people exist.
Speaker 1: We know them as the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard. They call themselves soldiers, seals, rangers, airmen, sailors, devil.
Speaker 3: Dogs, and so much more.
Speaker 1: We call them fathers, brothers, sons and husbands, mothers, daughters, sisters and wives. We call them friend and neighbor. These veterans answered the call. Now we answer theirs and today are the best our country has to offer. And we love them. Today, we honor them, and we serve this. David Malsby is your host, and he welcomes you to this community of veterans. As together we are building the road to hope, and.
Speaker 3: Indeed we are glad to have you along.
Speaker 5: On a Sunday afternoon, those of you listening through the kPr C the nine to five oh on the AM dialand Houston, Texas, thank you for joining us. Those of you who listen through the Magic Podcast, thank you so much for doing so.
Speaker 3: Wherever you get your podcast, just look for Road to Hope Radio.
Speaker 5: We truly do appreciate it when you hit that'll subscribe button, and especially when you share it with your friends, enemies, neighbors, former neighbors, whoever. Thank you for sharing it. We appreciate everyone you meet could use a little bit of hope today. So thank you so very very much. Great big thank you to our sponsors allow us the opportunity to spend a little time with you each and every week. A Corey Diamond and Design a c O ri I billion Connie Stagner two A one four A two forty seven fifty five had the privilege to spend a little time within this past week A cory a c ri I Corey Diamond and Design one. It's time to get that something special for someone special in your life. Do business with people that share your values, people that you can trust. That's Billy and Connie Stagner A Corey Diamond and Design. And because well, we all have those moments. Oops Steam dot Com two A one A two two zero five six one Oops Steam dot Com They do more than just you know the floors they there. There's so much that they do, the air ducts in your house, the carpet, the tile, the wood, floors, all of it. Oops Steam dot Com. And then when you're ready to buy your little piece of Texas, Republic Grand Ranch dot Com. Republic Grand Ranch dot Com. Awesome people, longtime supporters through Texas Grand Ranch and Republic Grand Ranch. They've been great supporters of all things Camp Hope. Truly wonderful people. So when you're ready to build that dream home, you want to have it in a right spot. That's Republic Grand Ranch dot Com. All right, we've got a couple of combat vet's with us here today, one on staff, one that's in our program at Camp Hope. Want to introduce yourself to the world again. It's been a minute.
Speaker 2: Hello everybody. Linnburgh Freeman, Yellow Face Mentor PTSD Foundation of America at Camp Hope.
Speaker 3: And where are you from?
Speaker 5: Originally born and raised in New York, New York. We've got a couple of New York guys here with us today, Branch. And where you're deployed.
Speaker 2: Army deployed to Iraq two thousand eleven, Operation New don okay, your turn.
Speaker 4: Hey, my name is Mike Faglice. I'm also from New York, Buffalo, New York. Though I was in the Army. I was a combat engineer. I served in Afghanistan. Did one tour over there.
Speaker 5: Okay, and when was that?
Speaker 3: I believe it.
Speaker 6: Was six to nine. I did seventeen.
Speaker 3: Months long deployment.
Speaker 5: It was a long deployment. Yeah, gotcha. All right, So you're from Buffalo. You a Bills fan?
Speaker 4: Not really not, you know, I used to follow when I was a kid, when I lived there, but it's too many letdowns. So yeah, all the Buffalonians back home would probably want to wring my neck. But for saying that. But I mean, you know, I didn't follow sports too much growing up. Okay, so I didn't even into my adulthood, I didn't follow sports too much. I I focused on other things.
Speaker 3: What were you into as a kid, getting.
Speaker 4: In trouble, running the streets with my friends, riding bikes, doing what kids do, right, you know, just running through the neighborhood, yelling at girls, throwing rocks at cars, being boys playing baseball. Never watched it, but I played a little bit of baseball of it. Yeah, just with your friends.
Speaker 5: Nothing crazy, okay, yeah, all right, plenburg you a baseball player.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was the typical thing in growing up in New York, you know, playing all sports, any and every sport that we can figure out, you know, getting the whole neighborhood of kids together, whether it be street basketball at the park, finding the field for football. We had a couple of baseball diamonds in our neighborhood and we'd get together and playing teams. So yeah, yeah, I grew up doing pretty much the same thing.
Speaker 5: We're in New York. For you Long Island, ohfer County, Yeah.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 5: We have a great fundraiser that takes place every year in New York. It wasn't purchase New York. I can't remember what town the courts the courses in now that they've played the last couple of years have moved to a different course, but absolutely stunningly beautiful, absolutely beautiful. So looking forward to getting back up there here in a couple more weeks to attend that event. It's always a lot of fun and great group of people. Why do you join the army?
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny story. I really I wanted to join the marine Corps. As a kid, the commercials you saw on the TV where he's fighting the dragon with the sword, that was what was impressive to me, and it made me a sense of pride, and I always wanted to do that. I wanted to wear the uniform. It was about pride for me and honor and country. And I joined the army instead. I don't know how that happened, but it happened, and I'm grateful for that. But it was all about duty and country, and I just wanted to serve my community and my country. It was something I felt was necessary.
Speaker 5: Slay any dragons, no, no, no dragons, how about you Land.
Speaker 2: I believe it was just I joined late, so I was twenty four years old. You know, I didn't I never finished high school, so I couldn't join like right after high school.
Speaker 3: But I was a parent early. I was a parent.
Speaker 2: I've been to parent since I was eighteen. My daughter now was twenty two. But back at that time, I wanted to do other things and I thought that athletics were the way for me to do it, and so I grew up. I was involved in the boxing community, had a long amateur stint, won everything in the state of New York except for the Golden Gloves. It's a long tournament's four months. Yeah, so you know, and then I turned a professional that didn't work out, but I had a buddy who was on the Marines team. We grew up together.
Speaker 5: We'll take a quick break and we'll come back to that here in a second. This is Road to Hoope, Ri, it'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Who jes the ground and play so baby, it's their god time.
Speaker 3: Man, and welcome back to Road to Hope. Ray, You're glad to have you.
Speaker 5: Long gout, Lynnburgh, United States Army VET. Currently, what's your role at Camp Hope right now?
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 2: I'm a Yellow phase mentor.
Speaker 5: For those driving around sixteen right now? What does yellow phase mean?
Speaker 2: That is the stage before graduation for our residents. It's the final two months of the program at Camp Hope and they come into my Yellow phase block. I have them for two months and I help them complete the program and you know, do my best to set them up for success or when they leave Camp Hope.
Speaker 5: So what are the There's no such thing as a typical day. There's a Camp Hope. Every day is a new day around there. But what's what's kind of a norm for a yellow phase mentors?
Speaker 3: What are we doing in the course of the day.
Speaker 2: In the course of the day, I am there when their day starts. Uh, you know, do their checking in the morning.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: We will do a daily devotional after our check ins, and then uh we'll start the class day. Like I teach classes on my own, or we can have outside resources coming and provide them with classes, whether they depending on what the residents need. You know, they're trying to find jobs. We'll get them classes on how to complete resumes, how to build link LinkedIn profiles, UH, savings and budgeting, home owner ship, renting a home, and credit repair, things of that nature, you know, just to try to give them a basic set of tools and knowledge to take with them on the outside to know how to rebuild these things.
Speaker 5: Mike, you mentioned you deployed in six When did you join the army?
Speaker 6: It was after nine to eleven.
Speaker 5: I wanted is that kind of a prompter for you?
Speaker 4: It was I was. I was working in a palette factory, believe it or not, making palettes. I had left school early. I had a child that.
Speaker 6: Was just born.
Speaker 4: I think I was eighteen years old roughly and working at this palette factory. We had no idea what was going on. The Twin Towers had gotten hit and everyone kind of like was going crazy, and I just was at work building palettes and I just felt like that that's what I needed to do. I mean, I dropped out of high school because of my child, and I was working a day job and I've always still in Buffalo, and I just was like, I have to do something different. In the Twin Towers hit and I said, that's it, I'm going. I've always wanted to, I never had the courage to do it. I kept getting scared, and then finally I said, this, this is it. This is the reason I got to do my part and help defend our freedoms in our country and wrong the rights and be a better man.
Speaker 6: That's I joined.
Speaker 5: So you were in for a little while before you actually deployed.
Speaker 4: A little bit not It wasn't exactly at two thousand and two thousand and one when I went in.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 4: It was a little bit after, but yeah, So I did my work up. I went to Fort leonard Wood, Missouri, and there did basic training there, did oh set. So I was back to back and then I did my combat engineer training there as well. But they kind of like teach you how to find landmines, identify stuff in the ground, and not anything close to what I did in the actual army, which is kind of funny. But I've worked with explosives but not land mines. I left Fort Leonardwood, I went to Fort Riley, Kansas. I was part of the seventieth Engineer Battalion. Did our work up there, went to NTC California, trained there, and then we deployed to Afghanistan, my entire battalion. Before before I got to Afghanistan, I was selected to go to a special school for route clearance. We basically learned how to identify IEDs. This is what an ID looks like, this is how you find them. These are some signs that this is what you see. Pretty crazy stuff, you know, when you learned. I mean, it's like I did never imagine that I would be doing that. I was told that I was going to build things and blow things up. That's what the recruiter told me, and I was excited for that. I did not know that I was going to be the one blowing up. Fast forward a little bit you know, we I did the school, I got certified. I had become one of the experts in my battalion on the route clearance equipment that we used, and I trained a lot of the soldiers in my battalion how to operate the equipment. I kind of took it and ran with it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: It was something I was passionate about, and I became really good at it. I found quite a number of IED's when I was over in Afghanistan. I was blown up three times in combat. Most of them are IED's, the two two of them are I d's. One of them was a rocket propel grenade RPG. The vehicle that I was driving was a mind detection vehicle. They were targeted quite a bit. We were used to find the roadside bombs, so they tried to eliminate that as much as possible to try to get to our our guys. So I took an RPG to the front of the vehicle one time. I got blown up by some landmines one time, and then the last one that kind of halted my career at the time was three anti tank mines that were stacked on top of each other, and I ran it over and was blown up.
Speaker 6: So that was quite an experience.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that would get your attention a little bit. Yeah, A quick reminder as we go through these stories and share the events of I guess really the source of the PTSD that some of you guys face, but also the returning home and the integration issues. We understand that these can cause triggers for some of those who were listening. So I'm want to give you a phone number. Please everyone, get your phone out, put your put this number in your phone. Even if you're not a vet. You don't think you'll ever need it, perhaps not, but you may come across someone that could really use the help. Eight seven seven seven one seven seventy eight seventy three is our Combat Trauma Crisis Line. It is answered twenty four to seven three sixty five by a combat veteran. And if you ever come across someone struggling, make sure you let them understand a combat veteran will answer the phone. That makes all the difference. Eight seven seven seven one seven seventy eight seventy three. UH and PTSD USA dot org. PTSD USA dot org for all things PTSD Foundation that includes Campope, where Mike is currently a resident Linberg is a graduate of the program and Yellow Phase mentor all that information. Ptsd USA dot org. Also on social media, PTSD USA, Facebook, X, and YouTube all are ptsd USA and on Instagram it is ptsd Foundation of America. Please follow us, retweet, share the stories there. You never know who may come across our organization that could use information about what we do.
Speaker 3: Costume nothing.
Speaker 5: It's absolutely free and it's easy to share, retweet whatever, So thank you for doing so. All right, So how long were you When did you get out of the army? You employed through eight?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I got back. I think it was two thousand and nine, actually that I got back. I landed in the United States on my birthday, May twenty fourth. I think two thousand and nine is when I landed in the United States, and I was so excited. I remember that because I was like, it's my birthday, I can go out, I can have fun with my friends, and let's celebrate my birthday. US coming home. We survived the deployment. I didn't get to go out at all for my bay. By the time they released US, I was so exhausted from all of the turning in of weapons, turning in all the gear. I was just rained physically and mentally, and I just wanted to go home and go to bed. Yeah, So we didn't get released until like I think the twenty fifth, at like seventeen hundred hours. So it was not a birthday. It was a good birthday present because I got home.
Speaker 5: Sure back, Yeah, glad you're back, absolutely all right. Just a reminder PTSDUSA dot org. The Combat Trauma Crisis Line eight seven seven seven to one, seven seventy eight seventy three. Eight seven seven seven to one to seven seventy eight seventy three answered twenty four to seven by a combat veteran and that will mean the world to anyone who needs to make that call. Eight seven seven seven one seven seventy eight seventy three. We're going to take a quick news break for those of you on the nine to five OH use it on the listening to the podcast.
Speaker 3: We'll just here a little music.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back with more of Road to Hope Radio.
Speaker 3: And we welcome you back Road to Hope Radio.
Speaker 5: Glad to have you along as you listen on the nine to five OH the kPr C in Houston, Texas. Thank you for joining us, those of you listening through podcasts. Thank you for doing so. And again, wherever you listen to podcasts, just look for Road to Hope Radio and if you would hit that subscribe button, we would truly, truly appreciate that and share with your friends and all folks in your network. We have heard on a number of occasions people learned about our programs through these radio programs that we do more than eight years now of stories guys that have come through our program. Occasionally we'll hit on the news. I like to share some of the stories so that our guys or messages that our guy send to us that have been through our program several years ago and updating us on how their life is going forward. So we love to do that. You'll hear a lot of those. So if you just hit that subscribe button, it will automatically download to your devices every week when the news show drops on Sunday afternoon. So thank you very very much for doing so. All right, So home in nine on your birthday mentioned blowing up a few times during your deployments. When did you get to Camp Hope.
Speaker 4: So I arrived at Camp Hope about thirty days ago. I think it's a little bit over like thirty five days. Maybe it is when I came here, so I don't even know what today is either. Yeah, I've been here for about thirty days.
Speaker 5: Okay, so sixteen year span. What happened when you got home besides a long day once on the actual day.
Speaker 4: You know, I struggled a lot. I was married at the time, and my marriage kind of like was on the fritz.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 4: I was angry a lot. I was struggling. I wasn't sure how to cope with what was going on. I didn't actually know what was going on. That was the crazy part I was. I thought everything was normal, and I wasn't aware, if you will, of my actions and how I was behaving because I didn't know my wife at the time. She ended up leaving, went back home, we separated, divorced, you know, got into more trouble with myself, not knowing how to deal with things, getting in and out of trouble. I was in and out of the hospital a few times because of my anger, a lot of outbursts, a lot of not knowing how to react to things I was. I was taught to react, and that's what I did. I reacted to things, whether it was right or wrong. I just reacted and then I dealt with the consequences later. I never really faced them head on and thought rationally that kind of happened for a long time. When I first got home, I started a business building custom motorcycles.
Speaker 6: I would I built sport bikes.
Speaker 4: I would take something somebody bring me in and I would customize it for them, and I would do all kinds of crazy fun things, from spinner wheels, nitrous tanks, drag bikes, big tire kits. I did that for probably six years, and then the economy kind of went downward for a while, and then I closed up that shop and went to work back again with my family doing masonry restoration work. Complete opposite, but it was there, it was steady, it was whatever I wanted. Did that for a few years, still struggling. I kind of developed some substance abuse problems during that time as well. I found that that was an easier way for me to cope with a lot of the issues that I was having, which in retrospect now I know was the wrong way to handle things. But I spun got out of control. I didn't know how to handle and I turned to that as a way to escape.
Speaker 5: So, now having been diagnosed with PTSD and you look back, what were some of the things you talked about some of the issues, But what were those issues for you? Was it high provisions of sleep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, both or all of them all. So I was always on edge. I was always watching where I was, what was the surrounding, what was going on. Loud noises was a big trigger for me. Crowds. I couldn't do crowds very well. Anytime there was a loud sudden noise, I would have panic attacks. My heart would start racing, I would start sweating, and then I would just get overwhelmed with emotion.
Speaker 6: It would scare me.
Speaker 4: I mean most people get scared with you can hear a loud thud or a loud noise, but it would put me into like this extra I don't know what it was it was. I was just I had to know what was going on, and it would put me on edge and then I wouldn't be able to come out of.
Speaker 6: It for a while.
Speaker 5: Did that start after coming home or did you experience some of that while you were still deployed.
Speaker 4: You know, honestly, I I experienced some of it while I was there. I didn't let it show, because you know, you got a job to do. You don't want to admit it that you're having these problems because then they people judge. And it's sad to say, but it happens. But I experienced the most significant problems were when I was home, because people don't realize that a lot of US veterans and active duty service members, we were aware and we try not to trigger other people. We're cognizant of what's happening around us so that we don't set somebody over the edge. In the regular civilian world, they don't know that that's not the issue.
Speaker 6: We don't.
Speaker 4: They don't go out of their way to make sure there's no balloons that could pop at an event, So when it happens, it's overwhelming and it's crippling.
Speaker 5: Remember what were some of the symptoms you were dealing with?
Speaker 2: Some that more similar to him. You know, One that was very uh sudden and that I didn't understand until recently, was that, you know, no crowds was a trigger for me as well. You know, I've been in a situation where in a situation where there was no crowd and nobody on the street, there was no sound, no children laughing, no no people talking, and you know, then something would happen, and you know we have to react to whatever. You know, attack was coming at us. So that was something I've recently come to understand, and you know, it really like explained a lot of my isolation and you know why I'm listening, you know, and watching everyone that's around me. You know, still can't sleep often. You know, I came back from Iraq with sarcoidosis which started my lung and then spread throughout my body and went autoimmune. So I still deal with that as well. You know, that was a career ender, just like how PTSD speaking about having symptoms of PTS while you're still in service or in civil service as a federal civilian, that could end your career as well. You know, you come home to a lot of stigma and people think that you're just ticking time bomb, when really most of us are just trying to figure out what happened. You know, what happened? Why am I thinking about things and remembering things this way? And then you know, it took some time, but once I was able to compartmentalize and put things in their proper box, you know, it's manageable.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It doesn't go away. My lifetime and my life experiences don't go away, but I can manage to move forward.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 5: And I think it was around twenty fourteen the Pentagon was trying to kind of overcome that stigma, and they were using some gunerals sharing some of their stories about PTSD symptoms and such PTSD diagnosis.
Speaker 3: But as I.
Speaker 5: Talked to guys coming home, always found there was just this great disconnect.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: It was great that these generals are talking about it, but the guys that are actually in country and needing to fulfill missions, like they didn't want to hear it because they still had to fulfill the mission. So it almost backfired. It almost probably sent guys further into the withdrawing and trying to cover up than it was trying to get.
Speaker 2: That absolutely absolutely, like the officer's side is not the enlisted side of the military, you know. And I started out, I deployed as a PFC, came back pretty much a sergeant. You know, my first stars and my commander were calling me sergeant at the end of that. And I had no interaction with an officer above a captain, you know, so like for generals to tell their story and what they experience was not going to happen down on my level, you know, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: So it's I guess someone in a you know, a dark hallway in the Pentagon. I thought it was a good idea, and you know, you know, I guess better to try than not try it all. The stigma is continues to be a major issue there. There's I think through the years, particularly maybe the last four or five years, we've had a little bit of movement toward people understanding what PTSD actually is versus what they kind of heard on the local news when someone shut up a mall or something like. That's not PTSD. They may have PTSD, but they also wearing a brown belt and have green hair. I mean, it's just, you know, it has nothing to do with what they're doing.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 5: We're going to take a quick break and be right back with more of Road to Hope Radio with Lindbergh and Mike to help you guys both with us. A couple of army that's with us today.
Speaker 3: And were welcome you back Road to Hope Radio. A few minutes left, but.
Speaker 5: I'd like to hear from both of you guys, how whenber We'll start with you, how did you first hear about CAMPO.
Speaker 3: What was that first connection?
Speaker 2: Yeah, looking back out on it now, it's kind of weird to say, but I was actually homeless. I was homeless at that point in time, trying to figure things out. And uh so in Washington State there's this place called Catholic Community Center and they had a like a meeting, you know, for people to come by that were experiencing homelessness at the time, to come by and get resources. So I ran into a gentleman named Larry Turk who was in charge of the outreach chapter in Tacoma, and I sat down with his team and they explained to me what Camp Hope was. And this was in twenty eighteen, and I met Larry a former starn major named Mariah Sidwell, I believe also, and they just explained to me, you know, what it was where Camp Hope was what I could receive in terms of the time and the ability to go through, you know, some counseling for PTSD and things of that nature. And I put it in my back pocket and didn't really make a decision for a year. And when I came to Camp hope first time in twenty nineteen December twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: How long were you homeless?
Speaker 2: So from two thousand about six to eight months. You know, it wasn't like I was on the streets for years or anything. About six eight months I was.
Speaker 5: And the only reason I mentioned I think that's it comes as a surprise to a lot of people. That's so many of our post nine to eleven veterans found themselves homeless at some point in time for some length of time. You mentioned six to eight months. Justin was homeless in Houston for six and a half years, which is absolutely I don't even know how you survived that. I just don't even know how you how do you do that? But man, that's people need to understand that's what has happened. That's what is happening, and it's and I remember hitting the streets in two thousand and I was meeting guys that were twenty three and twenty four years old and they were already homeless after having been to to Iraq or Afghanistan in the very early part of the Wars. It was shocking to me. But our people have to understand. Our community needs to understand that they need to understand why there's a need for a place like Camp Hope. And I hated that it took you so long to get there, but I'm glad you did. How did you hear about Camp Mike?
Speaker 4: I was at a residential program in Salisbury, North Carolina.
Speaker 5: Are you doing in North Carolina? I ended up barbecues terrible? Why in the world in North Carolina? Felt Lake Home?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 6: I visited some family there, gotcha?
Speaker 4: And when what brought me originally was I was I was awarded a mortgage free home through a military nonprofit.
Speaker 5: Because of your injuries from because of my injuries.
Speaker 4: So I have a purple heart. And I was also given a bronze star, so they gave me a home. That's what brought me there. But I was to Camp Hope. I was at a program at the VA Hospital and one of the representatives there said that they heard of this program that they think will really much in North Carolina. They thought that this place called Camp Hope would help me tremendously because of the stuff that I struggled with. She's I think her exact words were that she's never seen somebody as decorated as me with so many problems and nowhere to go.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I didn't know anything about Camp Hope. I got on the website and I looked at it and I said, this place looks amazing.
Speaker 6: This is they hit it on all the things.
Speaker 4: And I think it was the video of you talking about what Camp Hope was and how it can help other veterans and that this was the tough guys that struggle the most and they get the most benefit out of it. And I thought to myself, I thought it couldn't be true. I really truly did not believe it. I've been in a lot of programs that say that they're there to help veterans, and they really don't. Fortunately, they don't stand up to the bar. They they really kind of fall short. It's good intention, but they just it falls short. And it's usually because of resources aren't there. I applied on Camp Hope's website uh mill or PTSDUSA dot org and I got a phone call the next day and I could I was I was literally shocked. I was like, Wow, this is crazy. A gentleman from Outreach called me and he said that he told me who he was, where he was from, what branch he was.
Speaker 1: In.
Speaker 4: Turns out, the gentleman and I were in the same part of Afghanistan on the same task force, and he knew exactly who I was, Like he had seen my vehicle. I had my name written on the vehicle. It's called Pug's Life. They stopped that after our deployment because we were getting targeted too much. But so the gentleman remembered who I was and he knew what my mission was.
Speaker 3: There, so he.
Speaker 6: Walked me through the process.
Speaker 4: And like I think it was two weeks later, they saw the need that I had, I guess, and they flew me down within I mean within a matter of two and a half to three weeks tops, and it was fast. They got me down here to Houston, Texas, and I've I don't know, it's just an amazing opportunity to be with other veterans that are struggling with the same issues. I mean, it's every day. It's it's awakening, it's I see it. I see myself and other veterans, and it that's what helps the most. I think everyone hears a veteran. Everyone here has lived the life, has walked the walk. They know what I'm going through, they know the struggles that I feel.
Speaker 5: I was in a meeting this week, and that kept bubbling back to this top of the conversation. Through the years, we've obviously strengthened the program, added to the program, brought a lot of different things into the program, like we've had art therapy, we've had equine therapy, and you know, grateful that we're able to bring all those things in. But it always always always comes back to the peer to peer side. That's always it's huge. Yeah, So day one for you coming in from North Carolina having been in the VA for a while. I guess what was Dave one like for you? Because you've seen it on a on a website, which is one thing. But yeah, now all of a sudden, here you are. So let's put this good thing is if you've been here in thirty days, it was nice and cool when you got here.
Speaker 6: That was cool. Oh my gosh, it was hot when I got here.
Speaker 3: So our eight months of summer.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, so let's paint this picture for you. I got off the airport, off the airplane, and I was picked up by the PTSD USA Camp Hope van, red white and blue van. I mean, nothing more welcoming than Camp Hope. You know, it's this big red, white and blue van that's talking. It's PTSD USA, get help.
Speaker 6: They drive me.
Speaker 4: First of all, he gives me the biggest talk I've ever gotten in my life. I tried to shake his hand and he says, we don't do that, and he gives me a hug. And the both gentlemen that were in the van, they greeted me with smiles and hugs.
Speaker 6: And I was like, wow, this is weird.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's different, but okay, so I rode with it.
Speaker 6: They drove us back to.
Speaker 4: The camp and somebody opened the door when I got there and they said, give me a hug, and I'm like, yet now it's it's yeah. Now, if you're not hugging, something's wrong, you know. So it's there's no handshakes here most of the time. If you try to shake someone's hand, they'll slap your hand out of the way and they just bear hug you. And that's the normal now. And I told that to my daughter when I talked to her, and she said, Dad, that makes my heart so happy. She's twenty two right now. She just turned twenty two in February.
Speaker 5: Well, unfortunately, our time is done. I hate this clock. This is the fastest hour of my entire week, every single week. But glad you're here.
Speaker 6: I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 5: Keep doing the work. Yes, for your family, but mainly for you.
Speaker 3: You deserve.
Speaker 5: You deserve the very best life you can live. The same for you, lindbergh Y, So thanks for having me. Grateful for you, Grateful for what you do every single day to serve those who come into our program at Camp Hope. We want everyone that steps foot on our campus, whenever it is they step out to go live their life. We want them to live the very best life that they possibly can, whatever that looks like. We don't get to choose that, but we want to expose to as much as we can while you're here. So thank you, Linmber, appreciate it. Mike, thanks for sharing some of your story. Thank you for having me join us again next week for more of Road to Hope Radio.
Speaker 3: Have great week, everybody,