Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the tech Talk Radio network.
Speaker 2: Well get them to another episode of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Matt Jones, and I'm Justin. Let me thank you for being here. Guys have been busy. I know, Justin, you've been doing stuff for the water park. You DJ'ed yesterday for a few hours. It was a big event, and yeah, I had a DJ for like five straight hours. It was It was interesting the first couple hours, you know, I did. I did my my my stick and and I did a lot of my club remixes and everything.
Speaker 3: But then I.
Speaker 2: Started to run out of music and I was like, oh, anybody got any requests, come on up and you know, let me know.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: I had so many kids run up to me, and every single one of them wanted to hear one thing I wanted to hear.
Speaker 3: K Pop Demon Hunters.
Speaker 4: I knew it was going to be K Pop Demon Hunters.
Speaker 1: Ea, I knew it, Like, all right, so what is this I've been hearing about? This isn't it like a Netflix show or something too.
Speaker 4: It's a movie, if I may, all right, because I take of introducing my wife to this, and now I have deep lore of K Pop Demon honors. K Pop Demon Hunters is a movie on Netflix that was made by Sony. Sony invested one hundred million dollars into this movie sold the right to Netflix for twenty million dollars, thinking it was going to be just something that showed up on Netflix kind of in the back end, you know, not a big deal. It is now the second most streamed movie in Netflix history.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: It is the first time since two thousand and nine that a fictional music act has been on the top twenty charts. Back in two thousand and nine, that was Hannah Montana a Miiley Cyrus. Every single song from that soundtrack has hit inside of I want to say, the top ten. It has caused a resurgence in interest in K pop itself. It is done by the same studio that did Spider Man into the Spider Verse. They have pretty much con firm that there's going to be a K Pop Demon Hunters two and three. There is rumors of a potential live aption adaptation. And the reason that this movie was kind of really interesting is from what it was initially conceived of and the script was written. It took eight years for this movie to come to fruition, and there were there yes, because people kept passing on it. Here's the thing that I love the most, the main character Roomy, the Korean voice actress who does the actual singing portion of her.
Speaker 3: In the world of.
Speaker 4: K pop, you have all these various studios that have they literally call it a stable of talent, and there is very much not only a singing aspect to it, but an appearance aspect. To k pop, you have to fit certain aesthetics. The girl who sang as Roomy had been told multiple times over that she was not going to make it. She wasn't pretty enough, she was getting too old. So she decided when recording the demos of these songs that we're gonna get sent out so they could find the actual talent who would sing it. She sang in a slightly lower register than she normally did and gave it everything she had, and now she is one of the biggest stars in K pop because everyone fell in love with her voice as Rumy. She is the lead singer for the fictional band hun Tricks. She is the only one to sing as Roomy, and it completely changed her career because for that time she was like you know what, screw it. They say, I'm gonna believe in myself. I'm gonna give this everything, and it is skyrocketed her career.
Speaker 2: That's cool, that's cool, it's awesome.
Speaker 4: It is just it is such an awesome movie. To be honest, like, I hear one of the songs at least once a day, either from my social media feed or my wife singing it. They're the most earwig of earwig songs. They will crawl in your brain and not leave. I could do three of them from memory sitting here, minus the Korean portion.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever heard one K pop song, but you say they're on so still quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Oh, I haven't. I don't know it.
Speaker 4: If you've heard, the songs are like Takedown, Golden Soda, Pop Idol. The thing was the soundtrack they had. I think it was over thirty different songs that they recorded for the soundtrack, and they used like seven original songs and two songs from existing K pop acts. So they have this whole staple of music that they can just dig into for the next movies.
Speaker 2: Wow, now is this live action? A live action movie?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, okay, Sam, Here's here's here's my thing about this. Though I have watched, well at least part of the movie with my son Eric. Now Eric has watched it like twenty five thirty times.
Speaker 3: He absolutely loves it.
Speaker 2: I cannot get past the animation style.
Speaker 3: I do not like the forced.
Speaker 2: Slower frame rate. So normally frame rates for movies and television is at fifty nine point nine sixty frames.
Speaker 3: Of sexy or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is going at like twenty five frames a second. Really, and it was it was mostly pronounced. The first time it was really done, was like with the uh that Spider Man, the animated Spider Man into the Spider.
Speaker 4: Spider Man into the Spider Verse. Yeah, it's the same studio who did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I cannot stand it. This this slow, like.
Speaker 2: Like the frame rates going like like one. It's it's just makes me sick. It makes me physically sick. Why do you think they did that? Was It's just the style, It's just a style.
Speaker 3: And I looked it up. I even asked.
Speaker 2: I even asked GROC. I was like, why do studios do this type of animation? And it was like, well, they do it because they want to emphasize importance or or or a big important scene of a movie, and I'm like, Okay, that doesn't make sense when it's the entire movie that is like that. And it's like, well, it reaches kids and it keeps kids engaged.
Speaker 3: I'm like, ah, there it is.
Speaker 2: It's it engagement. So what it's all about?
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny prompted you to make this decision, honey, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just I can't stand. I can't stand the animation style. Now is this movie streaming right now? Or is this in theaters?
Speaker 3: Or how is it?
Speaker 2: How does somebody watch it?
Speaker 4: It is actually doing both. You can watch it on Netflix. They released it in theaters as sing along versions, and almost every showing of these singalong versions in actual theaters is just selling out.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 3: But there's a problem with that though.
Speaker 2: With okay, with that really recent release of Minecraft, the Minecraft movie and people going in there and destroying theaters, like releasing live chickens in a theater, I feel like this is a bad idea to bring something that popular with that type of generation into theaters at this time, Like, are people have their ben reports of people destroying the theaters or jumping up on the stage and singing along And I don't think I've heard anything.
Speaker 4: No, I haven't. And speaking as a reformed theater kid or former theater kid, depending on how you want to look at things, there's also recovering is actually a better way to put it. A recovering theater kid. I mean, I had friends from my college days who were talking about when they went to go see Wicked with the single longs yeah and it's it's yes with Minecraft when the chicken Jockey moment hit. I mean, theaters were actually handing out to their staff the exact time that scene would hit, in which theater to have people in there to keep stuff calm. Wow, I haven't been seeing any news like that, because these are just kids and adults and everyone who just want to get together and belt out these songs and just shown up and having just a good time because you always sound better when you're singing inside a large group.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's kind It's so interesting to me because, let's face it, the theater industry has got a battle going on right now.
Speaker 2: I mean they do.
Speaker 1: It's tough to get people to get it back into the theaters. We started to see that that decline right at the beginning of COVID, and then getting them back into the theaters. I mean the other day I saw an ad for Jurassic Park and I thought to myself, Man, when's that movie coming out? And apparently it had already come out and gone.
Speaker 2: And you would think a movie that big would have stuck around for a while.
Speaker 1: I mean, I come from the Star Wars days where the movie the movie was the theater for almost a year, right, and the first Raiders of Lost Ark. We don't see movies doing that anymore. And some people like I want to go see Naked Gun. I haven't seen that yet, but some people have said, oh, just wait for it to be on cable. But there's something about going to the theater and seeing the movie in the theater. It just I want to hear people laughing and makes it It kind.
Speaker 2: Of makes it funnier. My favorite part about going to the theater is paying exorbitant prices for popcorn that's stale, pizza that is about two or three old, and then sitting in a sticky seat, I love it, I love it, and then and walking out of there spending how to one hundred and fifty dollars saying I had a great time. Right, do you remember the first movie you ever saw in a theater Jurassic Park, really the.
Speaker 3: Ever original, the original one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I forget how young were I grew up in a small town and yeah I was poor, well mostly poor, but yeah, ar Trek generations, generations. Wow, I went to the screening of Star Trek the motion picture. That's what does that tell you? That's go way back now.
Speaker 1: The first I think the first movie I saw a theaters would have been Mary Poppins. You know, my parents taken me to go see that one.
Speaker 4: That was Van Dyke in the world's absolute best British accent, just really nailed it. Maybe with one sentence I have offended the entire United Kingdom.
Speaker 1: Well, my dad was not a big fan of that one either, of course was British. So yeah, that was that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: But I that's the thing.
Speaker 1: The theater experience is different now and again they're trying to to I know, the the Harkins theaters out here, they're trying to do it where you can order you know, food ahead of time, you order your seats.
Speaker 2: Ahead of time. It's it's really different. Oh justin justin what have you started on that? Why? What happened? To you. Well, I mean recently I went with my son. We had we had a father son night. We went to go see the new Superman movie, right, and we went at four thirty I think the thing it was a five thirty five thirty. We went on a five thirty show. We go in there. This is an AMC theater and there was supposed to be you know the same thing where you can do the food, where you can get you know, uh, chicken tenders or hot dogs or or hamburgers whatever. Yeah, hamburgers, yeah, sliders, little sliders. I go up and I'm like, all right, I'll get a couple. I'll get the I'll get the slider combo with the fries. And Eric won the chicken tenders with the fries, and they're like, uh, we don't have any of that. I was like, okay, well, okay, how about the pizza. Let's listen, Eric, you want a pizza. Yeah, okay, okay, we'll do the pizza. We don't have that.
Speaker 3: Okay, then what do you have?
Speaker 2: Uh? Well, our hot dogs are frozen. We can like deep fry them real quick. Your impression is dead on. I was like, wait, hold up, what this is a five thirty. This is not like the very first showing of the day, right, Like, there's no food available and I'm like, well, we skipped eating dinner out outside because we wanted to give you our money and eat here, but obviously we can't. So now we're gonna have to dine on Reese's peanut butter cups and coke. We can, we can do some chicken tenders. I'm like, okay, fine, how many chicken nuggets do I get with an order?
Speaker 3: You get six? Like, fine, give me two orders of that?
Speaker 2: How much?
Speaker 3: And then well, hold on, I'll get to that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We finally get the chicken tenders and I'm like, there's there's four of them and I'm like, uh hello, and they're like it's predetermined.
Speaker 3: I can't do anything about that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, then, put two orders in a box, like you told me six, there's four. Here's how you do simple math. We ordered two orders of chicken tenders. There's four in a box. It's supposed to come with six. Put down three orders of chicken tenders and split them. This is why you get paid minimum wage.
Speaker 4: Damn it, justin Math is really hard when you're that high.
Speaker 2: I swear to god, they were high, not even just on that, something else too. And then the popcorn tasted like crap. The soda was flat. And then and then to come to find out, we ordered the IMAX three D tickets for Superman, which I did not want three D, but we had to go because that was onely thing showing and did not say that on the tickets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not going back to AMC.
Speaker 4: So and then the kids got on Justin's lawn and his whole night was ruined, and get off my lawn.
Speaker 2: But that's the whole thing, right man.
Speaker 4: I mean to your point earlier where you're like, the movie industry is dying, I think it's I think it's twofold here. I think there's two parts to this. One is the equality of service the large chains is drastically diminished. We honestly, we went to the Harkins Theater here in old town Eravada and had a much better experience than AMC. But the best experience we've had recently has been Alamo Draft House. Hands down.
Speaker 2: Alamo is I'll give it to al This is why Alamo's killing AMC.
Speaker 3: Alamo is good.
Speaker 1: Is that one of those theaters because we have one called roadhouse out here. That is you go, you sit in a recliner, you get you get service, you get a restaurant experience. You can order a dream your beverage there. I mean, people really are liking that experience. They're paying for it, but they like.
Speaker 3: It, and that that's why Alamo's killing AMC.
Speaker 4: But the other the so you you've got the decrease in service, right, increase in costs, decrease in return on what you're paying. You're paying more for movie tickets, you're paying more more for crappier food. It's just you're not getting a real return on that money. The other thing is the people. And honestly, it's the other people in the theater with me. Like if there's something in the scene and I think I've got a hilarious joke or some little comment, I will lean like really into Lee's ear and just like really quietly whisperable respect to exactly to make sure I don't bother somebody else. And then some other dude in the background will be yelling at the at the screen, or somebody's got their phone on because they need to live stream that they're sitting at this theater.
Speaker 5: There's just a oh my god, guys, I'm here at that new Superman and it's like right in the class Mac scene and I'm just sitting here with all my ten followers. Thank you so much for following. Hit the subscribe button please.
Speaker 4: Uh justin, I want to make one change to that otherwise it's spot on. Remember, remember, guys, smash that like and subscribe button. We got to get those numbers, gribe. But it's everyone is so involved in their own little world forgetting that everybody else is there. And the other one, and this is the one that drove me nuts, is we went to a movie theater and I I am always very particular if we can pick our seats ahead of the time. I'm very very particular about where we sit because I know where the audio engineers sit when they tune those theaters, and I want those seats there. They will sit in the center one third of the way back from the screen for the lower section and for tuning stadium from the front of the stadium in the middle one third of the way back.
Speaker 2: True, yep, I used to manage a theater, so yeah, you're dead on.
Speaker 4: I want those seats and I picked those specifically and came in and there was a dude sitting in our seats and I was like, hey man, I'm real sorry, but those are my seats. And he was like, there's a big empty theater. You can grab another seat. And I was like, no, sir, you can get up and grab another seat. I picked those for a reason. Don't make me get someone move. He's like people today, and I'm like, you're stealing my seat and you want to pull the people today? Like, what do you like on an airline?
Speaker 3: You than you? Or older?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: He was older than me.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So it's just the lack there's there's a lack of societal respect at this point for this cinema experience. And then the cinema experience is costing so dang much that honestly, like, I'd rather you you now have Fandango you No, it's Fandango at home. It used to be Voodoo and Amazon Prime both have a cinema in the home. Like, once the movie has been out for like two three weeks, you can twenty bucks and stream it at the house. Yeah, am I gonna pay you know, twenty five thirty forty however much for a ticket. And then if we want food, and then if you want drinks, and then there's parking and there's good or am I just gonna pay twenty bucks and watch it in my home basement?
Speaker 2: Yeah? In your pajamas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in my pajamas. Yeah, with my dogs.
Speaker 2: Wow. People, you have you been to the theater lately? Most people are coming in their pajamas.
Speaker 4: Anyway, So that's fair.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 2: That doesn't like that's after shopping at Walmart.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 1: Gone through some definite changes and some you know, I don't know what it would take to get people to get back into the movie theaters. But maybe this K pop thing, maybe you're onto something there.
Speaker 4: The other thing that really drove you to go to the movies were previews, and you would see previews in the commercial breaks where you'd see a preview'd be like, oh wow, because you would always in a world we're one man like man I k met Like the good previews didn't give away of the movie, right. I So the complete destruction of cable TV as well of everyone's like I don't want to watch something with commercials. If I want to watch entertaining commercials, I'll go on YouTube. And I know they are now YouTube channels dedicated to movie previews. Occasionally I'll be like, I have no idea what the heck's coming out for the rest of this year, so I'm gonna pop in that. And it's like top movies coming out in summer at twenty twenty five or fall or winter whatever, so I'll watch those. But you know, as we see more and more cord cutting, like, how am I going to watch a trailer unless I go hunt it out, I'm not going to. It's not served to me anymore, which leads to a lovely listener question, All right, we can. We'll dive with that for a second. Steve Steve from Tucson has said, I've been thinking more frequently about getting rid of my cable television service. I ditched it a few years ago and tried the antenna, but honestly I was disappointed, so I went back. Now the rates even higher. I know the technology is better, and I've heard lately you mentioned YouTube TV. Is it worth the eighty bucks or so a month? Thanks for your thoughts, justin I know you still have YouTube TV.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I mean, honestly, I yeah, cable is atrocious in terms of it just pretty much everything about they've been losing so many customers over the years because you know, cable for the longest time, they stuck to their guns and they're like, no, we're not gonna give you all a cart We're gonna you're gonna have to buy the packages and there's gonna be one channel you want and sixty other channels you're never gonna watch, but you're gonna pay forty five dollars a month for that package. And people were just like, look, this is not what we want. We want all a carte. We want to pick the channels and we'll pay for them. Five dollars here, five dollars there. They wouldn't do it. YouTube TV comes around and people are dropping cable like a bad habit. And I have YouTube TV and I absolutely love it. The best part about YouTube TV is that I love is there's unlimited DVR, so I don't have to actually pick a time frame of a show. I just simply say I like, I don't know Lego Masters, I like Lego Masters, and I click the plus button on it, and every single episode of Lego Masters get stored into my quote unquote library. Now it's not a recording of it. It just simply references that when I want to watch it, because everything is streamed no matter what you do, you're not recording anything locally.
Speaker 3: You're just streaming it.
Speaker 2: So I can easily find what I like when I want, and pretty much every single channel I want is on there.
Speaker 3: Now. I do pay I think it's an extra ten bucks a month.
Speaker 2: For the four K package, which I get about twenty or so channels of four K content. I also pay I think ten dollars extra to get the Sports package, which then gets me an NFL Red Zone. Plus it gets me like Poker the Poker Channel, which I love watching live post I do. I love watching white post so the Poker Channel, and then a bunch of other like eclectic sports channels like cricket and things that I probably don't ever watch, but it's all there if I want to. So I pay about one hundred dollars a month, which is I guess kind of on par with cable. But I absolutely love it now as we have an internet connection, you're good. Let me ask you this.
Speaker 1: One of the things with it, the say infinities, the service I have. One of the things we found. Okay, if I want a DVR. I have two DVRs.
Speaker 2: I pay ten dollars for one of them and twelve dollars for the other. Right there, that's twenty two bucks in fees I'm paying just to have a DVR.
Speaker 1: Then I've got the taxes that I pay to for this municipality, and this for this tax, and this for there's tax.
Speaker 2: That you pay. Do you do that with YouTube TV? I mean, do you have to pay for equipment to be able to watch some of this stuff on YouTube TV other than having an Internet connection?
Speaker 4: No, because it's literally on any smart device that you've got. It's just an app, like on my LGTV upstairs, on my Sony TV down here, on my Roku right here, it's just you go and get the YouTube TV app, you sign into your account and that's it.
Speaker 2: How many devices okay, this is a good one for Steve too. How many devices?
Speaker 1: So we've got one, two, three, four, four, five televisions at our home, but only two can get cable. The rest are connected to Roku because we only have two cable boxes.
Speaker 2: So how many accounts can actually watch YouTube at the same time, or how many accounts can you have to be able to watch it?
Speaker 4: You can have, and I just looked this up to make sure I got it right. The actual Google support document says YouTube has a three active streams device limit, but as Justin said, if you get the four K plus add on, that's unlimited in home streams.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow, But I mean, honestly, I mean, I have three TVs, so it doesn't really mean much for me, and we're only usually watching one or two at the time, but that's the quality. And do you get local channels, Yes, we get local channels. All the local channels is based on based on your area. Now, Now, when I was traveling and I would be let's say, in uh, Chicago or whatever, if my family was watching YouTube TV, which honestly, Lisa would never watch YouTube without me here because she watches Japanese TV. But in the op chance that Eric might be watching YouTube TV and I would log in from Chicago, it would say, you know, verify your identity first off, and I'd have to retype my password in and then would.
Speaker 3: Say, okay, it is you. You must be traveling.
Speaker 2: We're gonna we're gonna keep you on the same here, but we're not gonna give you Chicago local channels. We're gonna give you your Denver channels, so they wouldn't they wouldn't like lock me out of that, but I absolutely love it. Now.
Speaker 3: Another part of.
Speaker 2: It is uh, well, actually not nice to YouTube TV. But I'm also on Google five as my cell phone provider, which rides off the Team Mobile network. With Google five, I also get YouTube, not YouTube TV, but I get YouTube Premium included with my Google five, so I don't have to get any ads on any YouTube video that I watch.
Speaker 1: Well, so if the kids are watching Number Blocks, which you start them on a Number Blocks, it runs for twelve minutes, then you get four minutes of ads, so this would eliminate that mm hm oh.
Speaker 4: And I think it was. I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but another big draw towards YouTube TV for the sports world is for longest time, NFL Sunday Ticket was a Direct TV exclusive, and Sunday Ticket is where you can it doesn't matter what your team is, where you're living, you get every single game. Red Zone is great for fantasy football people like Justin and I because you've got a window with four games going and those games continually change out to whoever's closest to scoring a touchdown at that moment, it is awesome. Sunday Ticket gets you every single game that's playing, and you can now do that except on youtubeas except for in market games, correct, because that's a contracting and I'm not a lawyer for that. But you can get Sunday Ticket on YouTube TV now as well.
Speaker 2: All right now, for Steve, then that would be a definite positive. You would say, give it a try, give you Tube team souly. Now. If Sean was here, definitely he would be singing the praises of YouTube TV because his whole family has gotten YouTube TV and they absolutely love it.
Speaker 1: All right now, one thing we got to mention before we got to take a break. But one thing we got to mention though before we do is YouTube TV now though unfortunately is battling with Fox Corporation, and that might mean that, you know, as airtime as a record time for this show, some people are maybe without their sports channels that they've been wanting to watch. With YouTube TV, the FI channels could be blocked out. Eight million subscribers that use YouTube TV may not be able to watch some of the games, even though YouTube is saying a ten dollars credit if the blackout happens, this could affect the sports programming on there that is accurate.
Speaker 4: The one other because I know, we got to go for a break. The other quick benefit for Steve from Tucson. There is no contract, so YouTube TV is literally month to month. If there is a month you're going to be completely gone and you're not gonna watch TV at all, you can just cancel or pause that subscription and not pay for it that month and you lose nothing.
Speaker 2: One more thing too, There is a trial that they do. I know that. I don't know how long it is, if it's a week of two.
Speaker 1: Weeks, but they can actually try it out and if they want to give it a shot to see if they're going to like it, that's probably.
Speaker 2: The smartest thing to do. But awice way to do it, got to take a break.
Speaker 1: We come back. We do have more listener questions. We'll talk more about tech tech as we come back with tech talk Radio.
Speaker 2: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Matt Jones, and I'm Justin. Let me find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 4: Last time I was in we started talking about my home lab.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 4: The work that I've been doing on that. And I know the listeners are like, oh good, he gets to talk about his home lab again, yay. So I just have to share some pain that I went through for this. So I've got all these cameras because I wanted to get off the Google infrastructure and own my data again. Right. So I got all my new cameras put up, and I was I had had an old Lenovo think Center, like a little one that was initially working as my NVR and was ingesting the logs. And when I did that, it was it was quick, it was easy to set up. Then I was like, I can do more. So I went to a great little eBay story that I know that supports a great, great purpose. It's the Nevada School for the Blind. They actually refurbish equipment and sell it for dirty cheap. I buy it from there. So I bought an old Dell Precision Tower, and because it was an older one, I could get the completely upgraded Xenon chip for that machine for like thirty bucks. I got. The only thing I really spent on was a in Nvidia RTX A two thousand, because I wanted the coup decors to start doing AI work, and I spent like thirty bucks per chip on Google Coral TPU machine learning chips. So I now have a completely overpowered box that I should not really need in my house and I was setting that up as my new NVR and I install Frigate on there. Fast forward twenty one hours later, when I finally managed to get it to just ingest the camera logs. Because by adding all these cool toys, I added all this complexity. And I finally reach out to a support subreddit and I was like, what do I do here? And they were like, well, the first step will be delete Frigate and go to script it. I was like, I've never heard of this, so I look it up and I decide to give it a try. So I go into Docker and I turn off the Frigate instance container that I've got there, and I spin up one for scripted. Thirty minutes later. What took me twenty one hours with Frigate is done inside of scripted.
Speaker 2: Oh you're kidding me? Oh wow?
Speaker 4: So I taught chet GPT some new words. Then jump forward four hours after that. By the way, my record is two for two now. Claude also swears back to me. But I haven't sworn at Claude, so I don't know how it picked that up. But anyways, jump forward four hours later and I now have full AI detection on all of my cameras. It will actually draw a box around like my pets as they're walking through the house and be like a Zerra ninety eight percent trip ninety four percent. And it's that sure that it's those animals. It'll track Lee and I. It'll let me know. It actually takes a picture of the cars that drive in front of my house, then zooms in and gives me a picture of the license plates. No way, are you kidds So not at all. I can actually set up something where I can have a database of all the license plates that drive around my house.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 4: I can create I can create skyn It. Yes I have yours too. I can create sky in It in my house.
Speaker 1: But my camera, my camera can't even pick up the person walking by in the sidewalk to tell that, Yeah, and you're picking up license plates.
Speaker 4: I'm picking up license plates. I'm picking up faces packages. But this past weekend I was like, I'm gonna go old school and I'm gonna build myself something fun. I'm gonna build a Minecraft server. Building a Minecraft server the last time I did this was significantly easier than if you're trying to throw in. They're like, oh, you're throwing mods. It's nice and easy. Now, No, it's not, because you have to match not only your Minecraft instance, whatever fabric or forge or whatever you're doing. So finally I hit a point where Lee was like, you need to walk away from this. You have been hammering at this thing for months, Please take a break. So here's where I give a shout out in terms of gaming, justin after I just I want to know what game you've been playing lately. But I started playing an action rpg, which, for those who don't know, is like a Diablo style game that my buddy recommended called Last Epoch right, and it's it's your standard like kind of fantasy based action RPG, clicky game. It's a ton of fun. And then all of a sudden, time travel gets involved and I'm just sitting there playing this game. And the other thing that's great for people who like to play with other people is the power leveling in this game is unreal. My buddy logged in with me when I was level fifteen and he was like, oh, let me help you out. Not even three hours later, when I'm signing off for the night and I'm level thirty nine, I'm just following him around like a lost puppy in the dungeons, just picking up the gold because he's just LEVELFP. He was level fifty five. Okay, so I'm walking around he's just seeing a mob and he's like nope, nope. I'm just like, thanks, thanks for the gold, buddy. This is great watching my character just ding ding ding.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: But with that, justin, what have you been playing? Because I know you got back into something.
Speaker 1: I want it real quick. Justin before this, I got to ask this question. You're talking about reading license.
Speaker 2: Plates, which care because I'm I'm in the Google infrastructure. I have the Nest devices and you know, they made a big deal.
Speaker 1: They got their new cameras out. They just announced two K cameras for the Nest and different colors, which I don't understand that one because I want them to be as you know, obscure as possible, so you can't even tell there's camera there.
Speaker 2: What cameras are you you running? What did you switch to.
Speaker 4: Google running two K is really cute. I am running Real Link cameras, and my cameras are all either four K or A.
Speaker 2: I heard the real links look great. They I just a really great.
Speaker 4: With justin Which real Link did you get?
Speaker 2: I don't even remember the exact models. I got a couple of Loomis, I got a couple Argus. I got the doorbell cam. I got the Floodlight garage door cam. So I got a doorbell cam.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Floodlight one is the new duo Elite. The thing to know for people who are a little more on the techie side is if you want to be able to kind of do what I'm doing, you need a camera that has RTSP. Uh, it's a stream from your camera. The Argus series of cameras from Real Link have basically locked down access to RTSP so that it's kind of locked into their Did you get into it because I couldn't get into the first Argust that I had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I got into it ease of that. It's bought their NVR, so that's the.
Speaker 4: Thing is it'll pair with their NVR really well.
Speaker 2: But when I would you told me a days ago, you were like, oh, my god, this is being ridiculous difficult. I can't really make this work. This was the day that I ordered my stuff and I said, you know what, let me just go ahead and toss in that NBR because I'm not going to deal.
Speaker 3: With because I have a sonology just like you.
Speaker 2: And I was thinking, oh great, I can finally put my sonology to some serious powerhouse use by recording all my cameras. And then Matt was like, I am pulling my hair out. I have like my skin is not doing well, and I am stressed as heck, and I'm like, yeah, I'll just buy the NVR. Yeah there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was the day that I killed frigate.
Speaker 3: That was literally the day.
Speaker 4: But but the the other ones that I have upfront, the real Link duo threes are really cool because they have two four K cameras in them slightly offset from each other, so it stitches a complete one hundred and eighty degree view from where the camera's sitting, so I see my entire front and honestly kind of wrap the way I angled it wrapped around the side a little bit. The coverage, the resolution, uh, some of them have built in spotlights. They've also if you see real link cameras that have c X, they have full color night light as long as there is a modicum of illumination which it can actually provide itself. It is full color night visions.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's a small amount. Yeah, I've never heard that word. In mind something you have learned today? Justint modicum. That is your sa T word for That would be the name of the show this week. It's a modicum. You got to figure out how to spell it down. Modicum of a knowledge. Now, all right, So justin what game? What game are you playing? Uh? Well, I mean I'm always bouncing back and forth between games, but I I don't know why, but I did get myself back into a game called Star Citizen. We've talked about this years and years ago on the show. Is a it's a it's a fully integrated it's like space simulator, multiplayer, persistent universe. I mean, there's always people playing all hours of the day. And the interesting thing about Star Citizen it was created by a guy named Chris Roberts who was the creator of old games way back in like the early nineties, late eighties, early nineties called Privateer, Wing Commander all those games. I lost the Commander.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so did I. I absolutely loved Privateer.
Speaker 2: I Wing Commander was okay, not mine, but I loved Privateer because I loved hauling cargo around from base to base.
Speaker 1: Was it a movie or was it a movie first or a game first? Wing Commander, No, it was It was a game first and then and then it.
Speaker 2: Became a movie. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But but I did have Mark Hamill in the game, yes, right, he had a voice in the game.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: So when my buddy told me about this back in twenty eighteen, was when when he told me about it, I was like, wait, hold on, Chris Roberts like, oh my god, I gotta get into this. This game was actually Kickstar back in twenty twelve with an release date of twenty fourteen. It is twenty twenty five currently, and it is still an alpha. Like there's alpha, there's beta, and then there's the full release.
Speaker 3: This is still an alpha. But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: This company has raised over eight hundred and fifty million dollars, which is the largest Kickstarter campaign ever. It's not even a Kickstar campaign anymore. You can go to their store, and this is the reason they're making money is you go to the store, and you can buy ships, and these ships will persist with you throughout all the iterations of the game, because when they release a new major patch, they usually wipe it. They wipe it, so you're back to square one. If you buy a ship with real money, you get to start the game again with that real ship instead of having to buy it in game. These ships can go anywhere from forty dollars all the way up to five thousand dollars. Wow wow. And then you can also buy armor, you can buy weapons, you can buy ATVs, all terrain vehicles and things like that. So I personally have been getting back into this game, and I have dropped over the years. I think I've dropped close to three hundred dollars on the game just buying random ships and things like that that I want to play. But the game has gotten so much better. When I played it back in twenty eighteen, it was horrible. Then I tried again in twenty twenty, horrible, twenty twenty two, and a little bit better twenty twenty three, a little bit better. Now twenty twenty five, I'm like, Wow, I can actually play the game and complete missions without the game crashing on me.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: So it's getting better. And it was recently said that Chris Roberts had an interview. He says that I know I've said this in the past over and over, and I know you're not going to take my word for it, but he says, I really honestly feel that we are now at the point where we can say Star Citizen one point zero, which is the full release, will be released sometime in twenty twenty seven or twenty twenty eight. That's still far away, it is, but this is a massive game. You're talking about an entire universe, So it is an entire universe. There's thousands of planets you can visit. Every single planet is absolutely detailed, and there's no loading screens. When you fly from planet to planet, you don't have to wait for a loading screen, so its entire world is.
Speaker 3: Fluid. I mean, it's.
Speaker 2: Massive, all right, Star Citizen. That can people start it?
Speaker 3: Now? What they kid.
Speaker 2: Robertsspace Industries dot com.
Speaker 3: Just look up Star Citizen.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: You can get it and you have.
Speaker 2: To pledge a starter pack, which is about forty dollars, which will get you a ship and the game, and then that ship will stay with you as long as you play the game.
Speaker 1: All right, I have got a trivia question for Justin and Matt. We take a break, we come back, we'll ask them. We'll see who gets the closest to it.
Speaker 2: Coming up with tech talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Matt Jones, and I'm Justin.
Speaker 3: Let me set us an X at tech talk Radio. We'll be right back and now.
Speaker 4: Back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 1: Well, it was hard to believe it's been thirty years, and you know, with all the talk that we've had regarding Windows ten going to Windows eleven, but thirty years this week that Windows ninety five was released, and a lot of you guys remember, you know, doing the upgrade, there was people who didn't want to move from Windows three point one to go to Windows ninety five. They brought in the rolling Stones to help people at ease with this whole start button, doing the and tying the promotional into the song start Me Up.
Speaker 2: It was kind of cool. But I was wondering, do you guys remember so you could install it from disc of CD ROM or you could install it from a diskett how many disc gets did it take to do Windows ninety five?
Speaker 4: I was seven? How am I supposed to remember this.
Speaker 3: Diskeuets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're talking about the three point five inch Matt at seven, you weren't installing Windows ninety five. He was still sucking his thumb, crutching his his his stuffy.
Speaker 4: And watching Power Rangers. Dang it.
Speaker 2: Oh man, okay, so again, you're talking about the three point five inch discuts. Yeah, yeah, I was gonna say twelve, so you're really dark close.
Speaker 4: I was going to say fourteen.
Speaker 2: And the actual answer was thirteen. It was thirteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they came out with OSR two, which was twenty six.
Speaker 2: But so you guys haven't lived.
Speaker 1: I mean you so, Matt, you you didn't even cut your teeth on dos did you?
Speaker 2: Actually?
Speaker 4: I did. I remember grabbing my dad's laptop when he wasn't looking, and uh in installing Oh goodness, hang on, I gotta look this up. I was installing a patchy all right, a patchy attack helicopter game via disketch on my dad's laptop.
Speaker 2: I was running Commodore sixty four and installing Jet boot Jack Joe Commodore sixty four And uh, yeah, no, that was what I cut my teeth on. Honestly, I was a little bit too young. I do remember our first computer was Windows ninety five, and then it was I kind of really cut my teeth installing on Windows two thousand, which Windows two thousand was designed as a server platform. It really wasn't designed as a end user. But I happened to find a less than legal way of getting Windows two thousand to run. So I installed multiple copies of Windows two thousand for my neighbors. And that's kind of where I really cut my teeth on. But yes, I do remember my dad upgrading us from Windows three point one and then me on DOS and then going up to Windows ninety five and going, oh my gosh, this is just so much different. But yes, I do remember playing playing with Windows three point one. You think about some of the great games though, were doss games. I mean they really were Doom, Wolfenstein three D. I remember having to launch Commander Keene.
Speaker 3: I remember that.
Speaker 2: I remember having to launch I just mentioned it, Privateer, having to go to DOS and and launching Privateer from DOS. Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, My first OS was three point one for work groups. My first video game system was an Atari, so I was Texas Instruments. But no, I do remember, like when my family got a computer. It was a it was a big deal. My my dad's buddy from the Navy Art Padama built our first rig and brought it to the house. And I still remember the smell of like a computer back then, like the slightly ozone smell that you did. When the computer would kick on. You'd just be like, oh, this is the computer room, I can tell. And I remember justin Iube it was so.
Speaker 2: Funny that you said ozone. My gosh, I totally forgot about that, but yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then uh, Windows two thousand, which was built on Windows and T and was that was their.
Speaker 3: First generation of it?
Speaker 4: Yep. And do you guys remember the disaster that was Windows me.
Speaker 2: E oh yeah. That was My first laptop was a Windows Emmy laptop and it was so bad. What year and I was two thousand, No, it was ninety eight, ninety nine something like that.
Speaker 3: No, it'd be two thousand. It was before. It was right before Windows XP.
Speaker 1: We were we were doing the Tech Show back then, and I remember we get a lot a lot of questions about that.
Speaker 3: And my first laptop.
Speaker 2: I got a Windows Emmy laptop and the first thing I did was reformat it and put Windows two thousand on it. Yeah, and then I remember we're obviously Windows XP coming out. I remember I was working at AOL in the call center and I saw a guy who was one of the call center texts and he had a copy of Windows XP running on his computer next to ours, and I was like, we were all crowded around his little cubicle, going, oh my gosh, this is so great. But the one that I always have a problem with is Windows Vista. Oh well, hold on Windows Vista. Everybody hated Windows Vista. I never had a single problem with Windows Vista.
Speaker 3: Really never.
Speaker 4: Windows Vista was so bad that in the first no in the fourth Futurama movie, Into the Wild Green Yonder, they either here we go with Math's Futurama.
Speaker 3: He always is a Vurama reference.
Speaker 4: I do because there there are so many. But Calculon is sitting there going and I'd like to thank my operating system, Windows Vista, and then he crashes. Do you see his eyeballs blue?
Speaker 1: So what do you think was probably out of these two? What was the best? Windows three point one or Windows XP.
Speaker 3: Oh, Windows xp XP.
Speaker 1: Some people have said the Windows XP still was the best os that they had ever put out, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think so here's a funny little caveat to that. So my IT guy that I hired that works with me right now, he has his computer that he brings in, obviously his laptop. He boots up his laptop and I'm standing next to his desk because we're doing our morning meeting and we're going over.
Speaker 3: The topics of the day.
Speaker 2: He boots up and it presents us with a Windows XP login screen.
Speaker 3: Nice, and I'm like, what are you doing. I'm like, I'm freaking.
Speaker 2: Out, and he goes, oh, it's just the custom desktop I put on. It's actually it's still Windows eleven. Right. I'm like, I was freaking out because I mean, like, as soon as you put a Windows XP computer on the internet nowadays, within seconds, you're you're compromised, you have viruses. I was about to launch myself at his desk and say turn that thing off because it looked like Windows XP.
Speaker 3: But it was just a custom destiny, you know.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering.
Speaker 1: So there have been a lot of Linux builds, you know, whether it's be Win, Boon, Tou and some of the other ones, and they always say, oh, it looks like Windows ten, or it looks like Windows eleven. I'm thinking, has anybody created a Linux distro that looks like Windows XP?
Speaker 2: That's what I'm no, But I mean they Linux Mint looks like Windows ten. I'm sure, but I'm just wondering. Going back to Windows EX was was there anything?
Speaker 1: Is there anything that has been built that would be oh, that same kind of feel, the same kind of flavor could still run the really good programs.
Speaker 4: I mean it's called the GTK plus theme.
Speaker 2: GTK plus all right, and it looks like googled it right, and it looks like XP. That's hilarious.
Speaker 4: Another one that's boon to XP. And funny thing why it was called Winds XP. XP stood for Experimental.
Speaker 2: Platform Really wow.
Speaker 4: And it turned out to be their best. There there are people who will fight you on it. Whether it's XPER seven are the two best ones?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there's I still think XP was better.
Speaker 4: There's two development teams, two operating system development teams inside of Microsoft, and one team is responsible for like Windows XP, yeah, Windows seven, yes, Windows a point one, Windows ten, and then there's the other team that's responsible for this STA Windows a ye, Windows ninety eight, Windows EMY.
Speaker 2: Well see Windows ninety eight second Edition. Yeah, great, ninety eight FC was was pretty good.
Speaker 4: That's where they had to pull the other team in to fix it, which is why I try and upgrade every other.
Speaker 1: So when twelve comes. So when twelve comes out, you'll be ready. It'll be good, right.
Speaker 4: You know, honestly I miss ten. My eleven has not been terrible. Yeah, but yeah, when it's like, oh this is the B team's release, nah, dog, I'm good, all right.
Speaker 1: We got an email in from Roberta and Green Valley says, Hey, guys, I try to listen to your show on Saturdays, and I keep hearing a term when it comes to using our devices.
Speaker 2: What is doom scrolling? I know I could look it up, but I thought I would send an email in too.
Speaker 1: Maybe you can help others. Doom scrolling sounds scary, Roberta and Green Valley, What the heck is doom scrolling?
Speaker 2: Well, dooom scrolling is what you do on Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, x whatever, when you're just constantly scrolling through random posts with you're not looking for anything in particular. You just find yourself scrolling through page after paid after post after post after post, and you're just yet you just get lost it and all of a sudden you're like, oh my my god, five hours have passed. That's doom strolling.
Speaker 4: What did you do for the past five hours? I was watching Instagram reels and that's and you're just at Instagram TikTok YouTube shorts where you're just like that was funny, next one. That was funny, next one, And all of a sudden you look up and you're like, why is the sun down? Where did they go?
Speaker 2: So that's doom strolling.
Speaker 4: That is doom scrolling to the point where you're you're you're quote engaged, you're watching stuff, you're like clicking on things, but your brain has just turned off.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, So there you go.
Speaker 1: I hope that helps ROBERTA. So you can go back to the doom scrolling. We're gonna take another quick break. We come back with more of tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 4: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Matt Jones, and I'm justin.
Speaker 2: Let me find us on Facebook at Facebook dot com forward slash tech Talkers.
Speaker 3: We'll be right.
Speaker 2: Back and now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 4: So, as some are aware, last week there was an event that I have been greatly looking forward to called me by Google where Google announced the new Pixel ten lineup on tech TOF. I just got the nine I mean not that long ago, you know, and I grab I'm like, justin, I grabbed the ninefold when it came out. They offered me a great deal trade in my eight pro. They gave me a boatload of money, and I decided to try it. And initially I liked the ninefold. But as time went on, I discovered a little aspect that drove me nuts. Is that most UI User Interface or UX User experience developers are not coding their apps for that display ratio when you open the Pixel Fold. All they did instead is just kind of zoom in and be like ep, there you go. Some are coding for it, and that's great, but the fact that Google's trying to go for a phone tablet hybrid doesn't really work when the tablet portion is kind of broken.
Speaker 2: Now, justin, you have a.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, I have the ninefold. Yes.
Speaker 4: So so in the meantime I kind of stopped using the fold portion. I grabbed myself this new shiny little tablet from Lenovo, which I've really enjoyed. It's the Lenovo Legion Tab three, and I've been using that, but I've been sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for me by Google, and I did. I watched it. I found Jimmy Fallon as cringey as I usually do because he was the host for it. It was a terrible casting decision. But I'm really excited for the new Pixel ten lineup to the point where I pre ordered the ten XL and it will be here on Thursday.
Speaker 3: So now what is Thursday? What do you do with the nine I didn't get to your door first.
Speaker 4: Fortunately I'm working from home Thursday, so let's let's see that race.
Speaker 2: But are you so, what do you do with the nine fold? That you have?
Speaker 4: The ninefold? They offered me seven hundred and sixty dollars or more in trade in value based on based on their review of it when I send it in, So like when I sent in my Pixel eight pro, when I got the ninefold, they told me it was gonna be worth X amount of dollars and I actually got one hundred dollars more than that because I really take care of my devices. The thing that it's this is a tiny thing, all right. It's a little thing that has annoyed me for years with Pixel or Android phones versus Apple phones. The Apple mag Safe stuff is amazing and I love it and we have not had it well. Pixel with the Pixel ten series has released the Pixel Snap line of accessories and it's mag safe pixel Snap Is it snap?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That does Pixel Snap?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then it works like the mag Safe, right, so it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it works just like mag Safe. It's two wireless charging.
Speaker 2: What makes mag Safe better, I don't really understand the difference between the mag Safe then mag Safe, which hasn't been on any of the Android devices, is just a really strong magnet ring in the back of the phone that a charger or something just clicks into place. A wallet can click into place and stay there. And the Android phones have kind of had that, some have kind of been along those lines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that ring right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So like for the new charger that's coming out, it doesn't have a shelf for the phone to like rest on, because it'll click into the charger and that magnet holds it into place, which goes to a lot of other accessories that can go in there. And like I said, it's a small dumb thing, but I want it and I'm gonna get it. The other thing that'll be interesting is how much Gemini is going to be baked into these new phones. Yeah, yeah, I'm really interested to see how much it's going to be used. And yes, to an extent, it'll be on any pixel device that is updated to the new OS. But I decide to really like give this a try get off the fold. So hopefully if it comes in on time and Justin doesn't steal it, next week I can give a rundown on the new ten XL and my thoughts.
Speaker 1: Perfect, that'd be great, So we'll look forward to that one next week. That's it for this week's tech talk Radio. If you want to find us on the web, you could do that at tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 2: Thanks for tuning in.
Speaker 4: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: And I'm Justin. Let me find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com. Hat yourselves, Gray week. We'll see you next time.