Speaker 1: Welcome to ouch. Was that a ghost? This podcast may contain graphic material which some listeners may find disturbing. Listener discretion is advised, is advice?
Speaker 2: Yu me?
Speaker 1: Now that we covered that, here's your host list.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Oach. Was that a ghost? I have with me an amazing co host today, Miss Daisy from the Film Joe podcast and also.
Speaker 3: From Adventures in eighty Cinema, Yes, Adventures in eighty Cinema dun Dune.
Speaker 2: It has been so long since I've seen you, Daisy.
Speaker 3: I missed you. I missed you too. Oh, I totally missed you. But I'm glad I'm back and we get to talk about some cool stuff today.
Speaker 2: I was like, of, what is a nickname for Daisy? Daisy is the nickname?
Speaker 3: People they call me different things. I've been called.
Speaker 2: Days, that's not a lot of effort.
Speaker 3: I've been called blazy, Okay, I like that that that's for a totally different reason. The most common is days.
Speaker 2: There's no really, yeah, I can't really think of anyone.
Speaker 3: Well, my brother calls me Beauford for while he was calling me Butch, and I wanted to kick hiss Aster for that.
Speaker 2: Brothers. That's so annoying.
Speaker 3: I think Beauford. I think that's the name of a monkey. Oh no, that was Clyde. That was another name that he called me was Clyde from the from this movie Clint Eastwood movie where he had an orangutang and his name is cly So he would call me Clyde. He calls me Beauford. And the thing is is that I'll be like all the way on the other side in a party full of people, and he'll yell out and I will turn around and I will.
Speaker 2: Respond feeding into it. You have to cut the cord.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I know. Unfortunately I never did come up with the cooling nickname for my brother, you know, dumbass, I mean, you know that's kind of generic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna have to workshop something for Joe.
Speaker 3: We are, we are.
Speaker 2: That'll be the after show. We'll be workshopping there you go.
Speaker 3: So, what do you got for me today? What kind of stories he got for me today?
Speaker 2: Everyone knows well. Most people have heard of the Salem witch trials, right that started in sixteen ninety two, where nineteen people were sentenced to death. Fourteen women and five men were executed by hanging on Gallows Hill, and one man was pressed to death right because he didn't want to give his land away. That's not accounting for the people who died in jails while awaiting trial due to the horrendous conditions. This well known witch hunt was not the first of its kind. Today, we're going to talk about the Pendle witch trials.
Speaker 3: Trials, all right, all right, let's do this.
Speaker 2: They occurred over only two days most in I'm gonna say this wrong. I think it's lancash Lancashire, Lancashire. It's spelled like Lancaster. But I think it's Lancashire. I've heard people say even though it doesn't look like.
Speaker 3: It really, so it's spelled Lancaster. Yeah, I would go with Lancaster.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll do Lancaster. Make all the UK people hate me. One of the trials was held in York. This was about eighty years prior to the sale In witch trial, and resulted in twenty people being accused, some were acquitted, one was found not guilty and sentenced to the pillory. You know what that is, right when you sit in town and you're like hanging, so everyone can walk by and be like haha, idiot.
Speaker 3: You know, kind like a shame kind of deal. They're shaming you, shame game with you.
Speaker 2: One died in prison while awaiting her trial, and ten were executed by hanging. These numbers were huge for the area because in England this accounted for two percent of those executed for witchcraft over two days.
Speaker 3: Chris, So, what, okay, because I know that that you know, these people they were you know, sentenced to death or you know, they were put through these trials for really really stupid things. Like what were some of the reasons that they would you know, they would do this.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like Salem. It's like anything you were a woman and like your cow didn't give milk, or like your neighbor's tomato plants didn't grow. It was basically things like that, like because people needed something to blame, right, So it's not science. It's either like good or evil or witches.
Speaker 3: Or just you know, just like a means to get back at somebody, Like somebody slept with somebody else's husband and she's like she's a witch. She put a spell on my husband.
Speaker 2: No other explanation.
Speaker 3: Were there children involved in these trials?
Speaker 2: There's a child witness.
Speaker 3: Oh, really oh great, mm hmm, totally credible.
Speaker 2: But that's what Salem had too, that's kind of what started it, and this was kind of the blueprint for Salem.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, okay.
Speaker 2: England in total has executed less than five hundred people in over three hundred years. But the only reason we know so much about these trials is because Thomas Potts recorded the trials in the Wonderful Discoveries of Witches in the County of I'm going to say Lancaster, but I don't think that's how I think it's Lancashire.
Speaker 3: But that's fine.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. So there's a hill located in the east of Wlancashire, England, that dominates the landscape called Pendall Hill. Sheeps grays on its slope, Stonewall divides ancient fields, and quiet villages sit beneath its shadow. At first glance, Pendall Hill looks peaceful, but it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 2: It became the setting for one of England's most infamous witch trials. It's not simply a story about witches. It's a story about poverty, family rivalries, religious tension, fear, and the terrifying consequences of what can happen when suspicion is accepted as evidence.
Speaker 3: That's tough.
Speaker 2: To understand what happened in Pendel, we need to travel back to the fifteenth century. There was a book published in fourteen eighty six in Germany titled the Malleus Maleficarium Melficarum Melificarium Melficarum, or with the Hammer of the Witches.
Speaker 3: There you go, that's right, we'll roll with that.
Speaker 2: It was written by clergyman Henricus Instittur.
Speaker 3: The heck U is up with these names? Good God? What's wrong with good old fashioned bob? You know, good Lord Henricus Hendericus.
Speaker 2: So the book explained which powers and gave instructions on how to hunt witches and if which was found. It explained how you had to torture and lie two said witches, and this would help obtain a confession during a trial.
Speaker 3: Oh my dear God, that is awful. I would have failed. I would have been burned at the stake.
Speaker 2: Me too, I'm not even really a witch, but I would be burnt anyways, because my familiar immediately Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's scary. That's really scary. I think those times would have been horrible to live in. I mean, you're afraid to talk to anybody. And at that if you don't talk to anybody they call you a witch, you're you're fucked out of the way. It's good guard.
Speaker 2: It did say that men could be witches too, but most were women because they're more susceptible, because women are weaker and they're promiscuous.
Speaker 3: Ah, bullshit, God damn it.
Speaker 2: Man, if you didn't know it was a man that wrote the book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no shit, huh. Just just be honest, how many actual practicing witches did they actually get? You know, I'm pretty sure none of these people were practicing witches.
Speaker 2: Well, a witch back then could also just be a healer, like if you knew that AlOH is good for a sunburn, then huh yeah, practice in witchcraft, which is just you know, holistic medicine witchcraft.
Speaker 3: I would have kept that to myself, like you burned, good luck.
Speaker 2: But it was a way to make money and a lot of people were struggling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So the book was basically a witch hunting book, and because some religious figures endorsed it, it became very popular. Many many many people read it, including King James the sixth of Scotland, who later was King James the First of England, which is kind of confusing, but he was ruled in Scotland then in England. That's why he has a different title. Okay, he studied, like studied this book, and King James himself went on to write his own book of how to Hunt Witches and not nineteen in fifteen ninety seven. The book was called Demonology, which encouraged belief in witches and explained why they should be hunted. This was the king, so authorities and people took this matter seriously. It's not like Joe Schmoe wrote this, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like that was their king exactly.
Speaker 2: King James was terrified of witchcraft. In sixteen oh four, he passed the Witchcraft Act, which replaced the previous Act that Queen Elizabeth I had passed, making witchcraft a capital felony, punishable by death if the witchcraft performed was harmful to others. So at least it had the caveat you could practice, but it's only punishable by death if you're hurting somebody exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean did they really believe this though? I mean, yeah, they believed in witchcraft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he did. I don't know if everybody did, but he really really feared it.
Speaker 3: And of course, because you know, he was so reputable, did I say, right, yeah, you know they believed him. You know that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that was the climate of the time. A king on a witch hunt. In the year sixteen twelve. England is ruled by King James the First and only a few years earlier he had the gunpowder plot, which nearly destroyed Parliament. I don't know if you ever heard of that, with the guy fowx masks, which you've seen in other things. No, well he was he basically it was like King James versus the Catholic Church, and Catholics weren't allowed to practice, so he wanted to stop King James from preventing that. So they did the gunpowder plot, which tried to blow up wow, everything so they could go back to it.
Speaker 3: Damn, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Religious conflict just divided the nation, and the supernatural was accepted as part of everyday life. People believe that angels walked among them, demons did too. If your child became ill overnight, if your crops failed, if your cow suddenly died, there had to be a reason, and often the reason was witchcraft.
Speaker 3: Not because of you know, some kind of disease or no. It's rough.
Speaker 2: Life around Pendle was not easy. People struggled. Most families survived through farming, but harvests are unreliable. Food shortages were common. Medical care barely existed, and many relied on the law healers, usually older women who knew herbs and traditional remedies. Some of those remedies worked and some didn't. If they failed, the healer could suddenly become a suspect.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that sucks. I mean, that would make me not want to do shit. I wouldn't even risk it.
Speaker 2: I agree. But if that's the only way you can support your family, like to put food on the table for your kids, versus maybe I'm gonna get hung damn.
Speaker 3: I mean, you really got to believe in what you're doing and be really confident in what you're doing, because that's your life. You're not just getting fired and you can be like, oh, I could just fall for you know, unemployment or you know, look for another job. They're gonna kill you. That's scary.
Speaker 2: Which unemployment?
Speaker 3: Wow, oh my god, that's the trip.
Speaker 2: Among the poorest families were two who already despised each other, the Demdikes, who was headed by the elderly widowed Elizabeth Southerns who they called Old dem Day Well okay, and the other rival family was the Chattoxes. This was also headed by a widowed, elderly woman, which is strange for the time that they have two matriarchs, like a female heading each family. Yeah, her name was Anne Whittle or Mother Chattox. They competed for money earning through healing like begging, selling charms, but they had old grudges that simmered beneath the surface. Something about the Chattox family supposedly stole something from the Demdike family years ago.
Speaker 3: So there were like the hot Fields and the McCoys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was like, I think somewhere said like fifty years they were like despising each other because both of these women were like eighty years old, so they've spent like most of their life like hating the other family.
Speaker 3: Damn, that's that's some shit. I'm sorry. What was the reason for their dislike for each other?
Speaker 2: So in some sites it says because one family stole something from the other, and there's another account that one family was supposed to pay oatmeal to the other family, like eight pounds of oatmeal every year, and one year they didn't, so the father died. So they're like, oh, and they were given the oatmeal to make sure that they didn't harm the other family.
Speaker 3: Holy, I don't know, damn o man. Shit was serious that people dying from lack of oatmeal. Ye I'm looking at oatmeal through different Oh wow, Okay, now I'm sorry, go ahead. Oatmeal thing just got me going.
Speaker 2: Nobody imagined those grudges would eventually send people to the gallows. Everything changed on a spring day when a young girl I've seen she was ninety and this was so long ago, like you get different ages, but she seems like a eighteen nineteen year old girl.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Her name was Alison. It's al I z o n like not Alison, but Alison. That's a pretty name.
Speaker 3: Like Alis.
Speaker 2: That's a good nickname for Allison.
Speaker 3: Yeah right.
Speaker 2: She was Alison Device, the granddaughter of old dem Dyke. She was walking down a country road and she encountered a traveling peddler named John Law and she asked him for some pins. Pins were surprisingly valuable at the time, like just metal pins. They were like handmade. Some were used for like medicinal purposes or spells or charms. I'm not sure if she was asking for free pins or if she had money, but either way, Law refused to sell or give her pins, and moments later, the story goes that a dog appeared next to Alison, a familiar I guess, and asked Alison what she wanted the dog to do to the man, that he could lame him. And then John Law suddenly got a pain down the left side of his arm and then he collapsed.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, she gave him a stroke.
Speaker 2: That's exactly it. Some say he suffered a curse or a stroke. Nobody knows though, but that does sound modernly like a stroke, yeah, exactly. Rumors spread immediately. People claimed that Alison had cursed him, and even Alison herself reportedly confessed that she had bewitched the man. What nobody knows if that was like she really believed she had powers, or if she had guilt, or if it was like pressure from authorities, because you know how you can pressure witches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we'll never know, or I mean maybe maybe in her mind she's like, you're not going to give me a pen. I hope you fucking die, I mean, and then you know he saw the freaking dog freaked out, had a stroke and died.
Speaker 2: That could happen. It was just like a terrible series what is it? A series of unfortunate events exactly?
Speaker 3: Maybe she legit felt like she actually did it.
Speaker 2: The incident said in motion something that nobody can stop. The case reached local magistrate Roger Knowle, which a magistrate. It was like the law enforcer back then. Now we see him just kind of in courts, but they were like the law right. So when Roger Nole found out, it wasn't the same as like village gossip. He had legal authority, so he began questioning suspects, and the accusations, like in Salem, just kept growing. Families that held decade long feud now had an outlet to openly an act revenge against one another. Old Demdike, who is now over eighty years old. She was pretty much blind too. She admitted to making charms and performing spells. Old Chaddix also admitted to using magic to an act revenge on how her daughter was treated, and the magistrate, Roger Knowles, saw this as an opportunity to impress the king who was obsessed with hunting witches. So he just continued questioning the locals, trying to get answers, plicate more people.
Speaker 3: So he's bringing everybody down.
Speaker 2: And Alison started implicating her own family members.
Speaker 3: What was it to save herself or.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, because she admitted herself too, which I don't get. I mean, it could have been like we're both healers, our family is the real one, right, or it could be like I really don't know.
Speaker 3: That is crazy.
Speaker 2: So the families are hurling accusations back and forth. Alison said that Chaddix murdered four men, including her own father, like the deal that I talked about earlier, that the father was so afraid of old Chatticks that he paid her every year eight pounds of oatmeal not to hurt their family.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And when he was on his deathbed, he said that Chaddix did it because he hadn't paid her that year.
Speaker 3: Where's my oatmeal, you bitch.
Speaker 2: Others accused their own neighbors. Old disputes resurfaced, and stories from decades earlier suddenly became evidence. One witness remembered seeing a dead cow. Another recalled an unexplained illness.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. So they're just digging up all kinds of shit from the past.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, damn, this is like next level petty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seriously, like, oh my god, like damn, like shit that they were peeved from back then that really didn't get resolved, Like it's getting resolved now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like your cow pooped on my lawn. I remember that. That was twenty five years ago to the day. I didn't forget that.
Speaker 3: I still got it under my shoe. God dang.
Speaker 2: Others said that strange words were spoken after an argument. Individually, none of this proved witchcraft, but together they formed a frightening picture in the minds of investigators and one of the women who was accused, Alice Nutter, she wasn't like you know, how the Chaddix and the Demdikes were. They didn't really have a lot of money. They were known to beg around town. Alice Nutter was not a beggar. In fact, she was a well off landowner. But it's rumored that she had a land dispute with Robert Knowle, who was doing the investigation, so he wanted her land.
Speaker 3: So when Yeah, so they saw this as a perfect opportunity.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Then came one of the most famous moments in the entire case. On Good Friday, several relatives and neighbors gathered at a place known as Malclin Tower, which is the home of the Demdikes. You hear malcl Tower and you're thinking, like, gorgeous tower, right right. But Malclin or Makin Tower was more of a hut. And Malcln is slaying for slut and Macin is slaying for shit. So I don't know if it was slut tower or shit tower.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I don't know which one is worse. It's a slut tower. Wow, damn. So what were they doing in this in the tower?
Speaker 2: So it could have been the tower the hut. I know it is a tower, but some think it was a secret witches meeting, or it could just be a family gathering because their family members are imprisoned. They're trying to figure out some sort of plan to get them out or to grieve or whatever. But authorities claimed it was a gathering to plan an escape of those accused, that they were going to blow up the castle freely accused and kill the jailer.
Speaker 3: And what proof did they have?
Speaker 2: Oh, they knew this. They were men that said it. Daisy, come on now, oh.
Speaker 3: My god, Oh that's right. That they didn't need any proof.
Speaker 2: I mean, somebody could have just said that to them just to get heat off themselves. We'll never know exactly what happened that night, but we do know that anyone that was said to be present at the meeting was arrested and imprisoned, and those accused were marched to Lancaster Castle where they would have their day in court. The locals filled the court with anticipation. The witness that was brought into the courtroom was nine year old Janet Device, the granddaughter to Elizabeth Southern's or Old Chaddocks. She was the only one that was not arrested from the Malkin Tower meeting, and she was also the only bastard child of the family, which back then mattered. So I'm assuming she was treated worse than the other kids because having a kid out.
Speaker 3: Of wedlock back then. Yeah, I was wrong.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say which only, but yeah, it's wrong.
Speaker 3: She's a witch.
Speaker 2: But this was a child. This was a key witness, the daughter of Elizabeth, the sister of Allison and sister of James who was also accused and arrested. She said, quote, at noon, about twenty people came to our house. My mother told me that they were all witches. My mother is a witch, and that I know to be true. I've seen her spirit in the likeness of a brown dog, which she calls Ball. The dog did ask what she would have him do, and she answered that she would have him help her kill God.
Speaker 3: They treated her like shit.
Speaker 2: The dog's name ball.
Speaker 3: Why not.
Speaker 2: It just sounds like a little kid in the corner, like coming up with something really quick. And then and this happened, and then they started pasty circle.
Speaker 3: And they all got naked.
Speaker 2: Her mother was furious, as the record say, and she had to be escorted from the courtroom. She said, then after that, Janet stood on the table and can chase you. In her testimony or accusations, I should say the child may or may not have been coached. I wasn't there. She openly accused her own family members and neighbors and others of bea witches, including her mother, her brother, her sister. Her testimony led to the arrest of ten more people.
Speaker 3: So I'm guessing yeah, she was the Bestard child, kind of like treated like John Snow. John Snow was treated like shit, I'm sure, and this was her way to get back at them. That's that's how I'm seeing it.
Speaker 2: I'm picturing not even a candy bar like something equivalent back then. I don't even know what they had for candy or anything good. Back then, it was like here you can have a piece of mutton or something.
Speaker 3: Put some beans here. That sucks.
Speaker 2: So in modern court such testimony would raise serious questions, but in sixteen twelve it helps secure convictions. That's what they wanted.
Speaker 3: Of course, they got the perfect witness.
Speaker 2: And she's just literally going down the line like, Okay, she was there, he was there, he was there, And the court, I guess, asked like if people were there that they knew were not and she got them all right, So they were like, oh, she's credible.
Speaker 3: Damn yeah, they knew what they were doing.
Speaker 2: Whether she believed it or she just repeated what authorities expected to hear, we don't know. But her testimony carried enormous weight. And the accused were held inside Lancaster Castle. Conditions were grim. They had cold stone walls, barely any food disease, you know, water coming through the walls. Many prisoners waited months before trial, and some never left alive.
Speaker 3: Oh that is horrible. The picture in my head is just it's yeah, those conditions that you're living in no some light, you know, just darkness. And you know, I'm pretty sure they didn't have toilets inside the you know, you just had to poop in the corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the two families that despise each other in there together.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that didn't help.
Speaker 2: So proceedings finally began in August of sixteen twelve. The evidence consisted largely of confessions, accusations, rumors, and witness testimony. There was no forensic science, no physical proof. Belief itself often became evidence, and on August seventeenth, the verdict was read. One after another, they were delivered guilty, guilty, and guilty. Ten people connected to the Pendal case were sentenced to death. Old Demdike died in prison before her trial, possibly due to the conditions when she was old. Yeah, I mean back then, you're over eighty. That's super impressive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, geez.
Speaker 2: Even though she died, Old Demdike was still found guilty, along with her daughter Elizabeth, her granddaughter Alison Allison's brother James. Also guilty was Old Demdyke's other daughter Anne Redfern, and the very next day, on August twentieth, the guilty were brought by carts to Gallows Hill near Lancaster, where priests went to give their last rites. Some prayed, some pled, and some were just silent. A crowd watched on as those convicted were executed by hanging. And this wasn't like a hanging like you'd think, like you snapped the neck and that's it. They would like put a noose around you and the rope would slowly strangle. You could take ten, fifteen, twenty minutes to die.
Speaker 3: My god, that is horrible, horrific. I'd rather have my head chopped off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something quick.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you have the whole town like sitting down watching that makes it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, like eating fucking popcorn. Oh, look at that. That's horrible, that's sadistic.
Speaker 2: I'm laughing because I'm uncomfortable. Yeah. Those executed were Anne Whittle, Elizabeth Device, Alice Nutter, Catherine Hewitt, James Bullcock and Redfern and Device, James Device, Jane Bolcock, Isabelle Robi And although not brought to the gallows. Elizabeth Southern, who died while awaiting trial. I mean she basically old Dumdyke was part of that. And the only one that was allowed to live was Margaret Pearson. She was found not guilty of capital witchcraft, but she was guilty of non capital witchcraft for something she did to a horse, and she was sentenced to four days of pillaring. So that's like the shame shame, okay, I'll take it in different squares. Also a public whipping Ooh and she had to spend another year in Lancaster Castle.
Speaker 3: Oh and jail. Come on, yeah, that would have killed me meant there. Oh shit, that's horrible.
Speaker 2: Their names became part of English history, not because anyone could prove they possessed supernatural powers, but because they became victims of one of the country's most famous witch trials.
Speaker 3: That's that. That is so fucking sad. You know, I can imagine you know, the energy you know in that area, you know, the the unquiet spirits of those who were you know, who were you know, falsely accused.
Speaker 2: Why didn't I take notes on that too, because there are a lot of headless women seen in that area. Oh, there's a lot of paranormal Oh.
Speaker 3: I believe it. I definitely believe that. You know that. Yeah, they're not resting. They're definitely not resting. And that's oh my god, that is so freaking horribly sad. The least they I would wish that they would, you know, move on to the next world. That's sad.
Speaker 2: PRO just want to get those guys back that wrote the freaking books.
Speaker 3: Actually I would. I would definitely. You know what, if I was a spirit and something like that happened to me, I would walk with every single one of them.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, girls saying I'm too petty. I'd be sitting on this plane just for that reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much. Oh man, yep, I mean pulling people's feet, making them go crazy thinking, you know is Yeah, I would totally punish the hell out of them. That's that's unfortunate.
Speaker 2: So history doesn't even show if they were actually witches. Most historians say they weren't. Instead, they just point towards a combination of poverty, personal rivalries, religious beliefs in a legal system that accepted spectral evidence, confessions, and hearsay in a way that wouldn't meet modern standards. But for the people of sixteen twelve, that danger felt real when illness struck without explanation or harvest failed unexpectedly, Many sought answers in the supernatural. Accusations of witchcraft provided a way to explain suffering and to settle old scores. The Pendal Trial reminds us that fear can reshape communities once suspicion takes hold. Ordinary disagreements can become evidence, and neighbors can become enemies.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's just so said. But yeah, you know, I definitely believe that, you know, that excuse of you know, pointing the fingers saying witch, it's just a means, you know, to get back at you. You know, even if there were witches, I don't believe that they're able to cause harm in the way that they you know, they were suspecting. It was just like I said, I wouldn't survive in a time like that. Me and my mom, we would not survive in a time like that.
Speaker 2: I always said, if I was born back then, I would get married young off my husband so I could have money, because widows had so much more power, you know what I mean. If you weren't married, you had to have all these escorts and all that you couldn't have all whatever, But at least if you had like an okay brother and you were a widow, yeah, and you trust it enough to handle the finances.
Speaker 3: You put a lot of thought into this.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's just not a nice time to I mean fuck, I mean being a woman period was just really hard. You know. You had to dress a certain way, you had to act a certain way. Yeah, you know, and if you didn't behave know, shit like that happened?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And for why exactly? For what? You know? Whatever? Does anything say? An is there any where the says what happened to that little girl?
Speaker 2: There is to tell? Let me just I'll finish this and then we'll.
Speaker 3: Talk about her. Okay, Okay, I'm just gonna.
Speaker 2: Ramble front of the second. So Pendall Hill still stands today. Visitors still walk its path. Most come for the scenery, some come for the history, and a few come searching for echoes of a story that has lingered for more than four centuries. Whether you believe in witches, ghosts or not, one truth remains. The greatest danger in Pendall was never magic. It was fear. Fear of the unknown. As for Janet, device. Not too much more is known about her after her part and the death of her two siblings, mother or grandmother, basically her whole family. Yeah, except that in sixteen thirty three she found herself in court again. This time she was on the other side of the table when a young boy named Edmund Robinson claimed that he was kidnapped by witches. He said, I was picking when I saw two greyhounds. I tried to get them to chase a hair, but they didn't run, so I beat them off with a stick. One of the dogs turned into a witch and the other into a boy. The witch then turned him into a horse. The witch took me away on that horse to a house hostones, and their barn was full of witches, maybe sixty of them, And from the ceiling there were all these ropes hanging down, and they were pulling on the ropes, and amazing food came falling down. I was so frightened. I ran away, and they chased me for ages. And before I got home, I met a boy with cloven hooves, so I fought him. And that's why I'm so scruffy. It's not my fault. This was an excuse, he told his parents why he was late.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, wow, and talk about karma.
Speaker 2: So he named seventeen witches, one of which was Janet Device. Now she was an adult herself, because this was over twenty years later and she was being accused by a child. Her body was checked and was said to have two witches marks. I wonder what witch's marks can be, like a freckle, pimple, or you know how some people have like third nipples or whatever. Then there are the devil's.
Speaker 3: Teats, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to suckle on you or your that's for you, for you're familiar to suckle on or whatever.
Speaker 3: I've always had an issue with that word. Suckle. Yeah, I don't know why. It's just so cross.
Speaker 2: But succulence isn't as bad, but suckle makes.
Speaker 3: It like suckle at my teet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But or it could be a war. It could be like just some I don't know, anything on your body that looks out of the ordinary, I'd be screwed. I have freckles all over me.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I have one like right here, which.
Speaker 2: Which And a doctor later inspected the Marx and who was like, yeah, no, they're not. After months of Edmund being brought around to different places and standing in churches and pointing at people who were supposedly witches. That he says he admitted to making up the story because you didn't want to get in trouble for getting home late. What an ass And Janet was not executed, but that didn't mean she could leave. This was a time where you had to work off the debt that you accrued while you were in prison for like room and board, So it's not really clear if she ever got out.
Speaker 3: Shit.
Speaker 2: That's kind of like Salem too. They had that thing where you had to pay off your debt before you could leave, even though you're there against your will.
Speaker 3: So they put you in jail against your and you had you had to pay. Wow, yep, that's crazy. That is some shit. Yeah, we have you know, the people in our jail system, the taxpayers are the ones who pay for that. Right, We paid for that, so I mean, you know, if you're guilty, I see why you would have to pay it back. But if you're not guilty, you had you shouldn't have to pay anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're exonerated, but you still have to pay all that time you were sitting rotten in jail and you couldn't work.
Speaker 3: That's a bullshit.
Speaker 2: Salem accusations were thrown around regardless of evidence. The impoverished were easy targets, not having the means to fight back. The one that we can reasonably guess had a stroke snowballed into all these people losing their lives. The Pendle witch trials acted as a blueprint setting case law and precedent to be used in Salem, allowing children to hurl accusations and targeting those who were either not liked in the community, poor, elderly, or in.
Speaker 3: Some way vulnerable. I would have been poor.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have been because I would have offered my husband.
Speaker 3: And I would That's how would you have done it?
Speaker 2: Because you didn't have a way to google, Like witch plants are poisonous, so you'd have to find a trusted friend or experiment. But I wouldn't want to experiment on animals. I'd find someone that had, like some sort of disease and be like, why don't you go have dinner with them? And then I'd take off for a few weeks so they'd catch it. If I had to try that, I'd find a way where there's a will there's a way.
Speaker 3: I think I would have just gone to the forest and picked every single, every single te pick every single type of barry one of those haves to hit.
Speaker 2: Mmm, mushroom and berry soup.
Speaker 3: Come on, honey, there you go, there you go. Jesus, Oh my god. Okay, yeah, we just did not talk start talking about murdering our husbands. That's that's crazy though. I've never heard of that before. Though, Like I said, I've always heard of the famous Salem witch trials. This happened before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, long before, and this kind of spiraled into it. I didn't hear about I never knew about this either. I just recently heard about it and I started to look into it and I was like, damn, but just over two days. The way that their trial was so quick and they were like, oh, guilty, guilty, just because one kid said something, the one that was probably upset.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because she was being treated differently. That's what I got from that. She was being treated differently, and you know, the child of you know, a bastard child always got mistreated. So she saw this way of you know, getting back at them, because I mean, why else was she do that? She just killed all of her family, you know, now she's all by herself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm sure that stigma stayed with her her whole life, you know what I mean, Like you're the kid of the witches. I'm sure her life sucked even more after that.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, and it's just karma that that smacked her in the face when she got accused.
Speaker 2: But at nine too, at nine, you're so you're so impressionable. So I'm sure if the judges were like, oh, we'll give you this, this, this, and then after they didn't eat her anymore, so they just threw it on the side too.
Speaker 3: Sounds surprised. I surprised she survived into adulthood. That's that's just that's that's horrible. That's it's a lot of ignorance, and like you said, it's a lot of fear, you know, the fear of the you known, because you know, witchcraft is it's not a bad thing. It's not a bad thing at all. Yeah, what is it? Pagan's They don't believe in a devil, there's no such that's a Christian thing. That's a Christian concept.
Speaker 2: And these women were more known to be healers than anything else in the community.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly. Yeah, you know they used uh, they used they used their herbs, you know, for healing, for bringing prosperity, you know.
Speaker 2: Not like I would to my husband back then.
Speaker 3: Oh my God. And I think you know that the Catholic Church had a lot to do with putting these ideas into the air because they wanted to be known as you know, the religion, you know, just one God.
Speaker 2: Well this was the same King James that rewrote the Bible. Oh really, but he was very against Catholicism. Yeah, he wanted Protestant or nothing.
Speaker 3: It's sad because I'm a Catholic. I believe in God, but it's just said how how religion it's just, you know, causes so many conflicts in the world.
Speaker 2: As long as it's not hurting anybody else. What you believe, believe it. But he would literally send his minions out into Catholic masses and have them take notes of who was taking communion and who was going there. It was like it was bad. It was bad back then, Jesus. Like even Queen Elizabeth the first way before way off top. But same thing about the witchcraft. She was on that hunt and she would hunt down like popes and any clergy and have them killed. So they used to have to hide around town. They had like certain hiding spots to avoid her men finding them.
Speaker 3: That reminds me of this show that I that I saw a year ago. It's called The Discovery of Witches. Have you ever watched that? I have not. I want you though watch it. It's it's based it's based around actual historical figures from that time, from the you know, from the Witch Trials. What was the name of that author? I read the books first. They have the show. I want to say on Netflix that it's a I want to say, it's three seasons. Ooh, and it's really really good. Yeah, Netflix watching it, Yeah, Deborah Harkness. So it has vampires, witches and I want to say shape shifters.
Speaker 2: Oh, shape shifters scare me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's it's really really good. This chick, you know, she's a witch and she falls in love with the vampire and now all of a sudden they want to hunt them, so they disappear into the past. She's able to somehow take them to the past and they take them to when he was you know, a young vampire, and it's it's it's really freaking cool. I suggest you watch that if you're looking for something to bitch. Watch it. It's awesome.
Speaker 2: Well it sounds like right up your ally too.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah yeah. I read the books and I fell in love with the books, and then I found out that they were making a series and I'm like, oh, hell yeah, and I watched it. They did a beautiful job with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think witches get such a cinematic reputation that people don't actually look into what each because any type of religion, practice whatever has different levels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: There's extreme, right, you know what I mean, there's all sorts of different things. And I think when people hear which they think one certain.
Speaker 3: Thing exactly, and you know, they are the first thing that pops into their head is you know, somebody with the pointed hat and a green face, and yeah, it's it's a whole lot more than that.
Speaker 2: Margaret Hamill is fantastic.
Speaker 3: But Margret, oh that's.
Speaker 2: Right, But she did, I think add to the stereotype.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely awesome too. Yeah, well yeah, really yeah, you know or not that that witch from Bugs Bunney.
Speaker 2: Oh, she used to scare me when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: She's freaky as hell. What the hell was her name? The ward?
Speaker 2: The ward I had a problem with the rest of her I could deal with.
Speaker 3: It was the war with me. I think her name was Hazel or something like that. But yeah, yeah, which is definitely get a bad reputation. And yeah, they were, like you said, there were mainly healers. And you know, my mom, she was into a form of witchcraft. It's called uh Speedyismo, and it's a Puerto Rican practice and it was just based on on healing. It was just a lot of healing. She remembers her grandmother. She would have people come in. They would bring her like fruits or something they made, you know, some kind of food as payment that you're gonna say, oat male, No, don't oatmeal. Yeah, So you know, they would bring over some kind of food as payment or not. They would bring her candles or you know, something that she needed. And often they would come by with like some kind of ailment and she would heal them. She remembers, actually, this one time, this guy or I don't remember a guy or a woman. This person came over and they wanted to love spell. They wanted to be with this particular person, and she's the way did. My mom described that there was two needles that were put into water and eventually they if they were meant to be together, the two needles would touch each other head on, but if they passed each other, they weren't meant for each other. And my mom she was like really fascinated, and she would be watching this, you know, and she says that she actually saw the needles moving towards each other. And yeah, she was. She was so fascinating, you know, these stories that she would tell me. I'm like, this little boy came in with like I believe they did.
Speaker 2: I believe they did be hanging on that part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to say that they did touch. This other story, a little boy came in with the bloated belly and she she would rub something on his stomach and she said that she saw, little by little, the stomach going down, going down, just by my grandmother rubbing his stomach with some kind of ointment. So yeah, my grandmother was really really known in the area that she they lived in as the healer. Oh wow. Yeah, so my mom she learned, she learned some stuff from from her. She was able to you know, she she's really good with herbs and stuff.
Speaker 2: And even if people don't believe in that, I mean, reflexology is yeah, like a recognized thing if it's you know what I mean, there's so many accia pressure, there's all different things. So just movement pressing, you know what I mean, it's practices, even if you don't believe in witchcraft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. I want to say in Mexico, Mexico, there's a there's a person called as you know, somebody who rubs, and somebody had told me to go check this person out because I thought I couldn't have more kids. And I was that close to you know, to you know, checking this out. But apparently they rub your abdominal area. Oh and start moving stuff around in there to help you be able to conceive. And people swear by this that it works.
Speaker 2: It couldn't hurt. It's not like he's hurting you, even if it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Work, right, Yeah, exactly. So yeah, I was, I was about to go, but then I got pregnant. I'm like, yes, it works. Yeah, all of that stuff fascinates me. I've always been so interested in, you know, learning about different types of crafts, you know, whether it's you know, speedy dismal santeria, which I'm very interested in, Voodoo, which I think also gets a very bad reputation. I'm fascinating with it all. I like learning about all this stuff. You know, I may not use it. I think it's good to learn about these things. Is like voodoo. You know, a lot of people think that voodoo is a bad thing. I think it's the person that is using that craft. That's how it's determined if it's better or good. You know, it all depends on who's doing it. You're a good person, You're you're gonna do good things with it. But there's bad people that would, you know, obviously use it for negative reasons. I think that's with any kind of craft.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, totally your intent of how and why?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: So everyone, let's not be ignorant and look into things before we prejudge people. How about that? So we don't have another one.
Speaker 3: Of these, you know what, you never know, it could, it could happen against someday you never know.
Speaker 2: Hopefully it won't. The world is just crazy now they're saying aliens underwater, Like just I got to do an alien episode with your brother because he's the alien man.
Speaker 3: Oh my God, yes, it is just the world.
Speaker 2: Is this feels like we're in a simulation?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I've heard that too, you know, And I seriously feel like the aliens are litt They're there, They're up there somewhere, they're watching us. They don't want to come down here.
Speaker 2: They're like, figure stuff out, guys.
Speaker 3: When I come down there yet, I wouldn't. You guys are hot mess?
Speaker 2: How much of eggs?
Speaker 3: Yeah we'll wait? Oh my, I remember that that was insane.
Speaker 2: Jesus was Supermarket's still insane.
Speaker 3: Price of beef is just ridannculous. Oh my gosh. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got skirt steak last week as like a thing, and just for four of us, I spent over one hundred dollars, which is crazy.
Speaker 3: I'll only eat steak if I go out to dinner, I'll order myself a steak. But to buy it for the house, you know, I'm like, my kid's too young for steak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been having chicken, chicken sometimes, hamburgerna, eat ground, try whatever's one sale. But I look at the steak prices, I'm like, eh, yeah, so no steak this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my pork is fine, turkey is fine. I don't even buy ground beef. I buy ground turkey. When I screw that, I'm good.
Speaker 2: So thank you so much for coming on Daisy. I so appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. It's it's always awesome. Well, thank you, ladies and gentlemen for joining us on ouch. Was that a ghost?
Speaker 2: Bye bye?
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. If you need more content or just want to help support the podcast, head on over to patreon dot com and search ouch. Was that a ghost? If you need some snazzy merch, you can find it at crowdmai dot com by searching ouch. Was that a ghost? If you have a store you'd like to share, you can email it to ouch. Was that a ghost? At Yahoo dot com? You can also find us on Facebook and all the other social media platforms under ouch. Was that a ghost?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 1: All links can also be found on ouch. Is that a ghost? Dot com