Speaker 1: Hey friends. Mike from Locations Unknown, No Joe this week. He is off having fun in the great state of California, so I am alone manning the ship. We got a special episode for you this week. A couple weeks ago, we did a great interview with Maddie from who runs This Park, So we've got exciting news to announce. Maddie and her show will be joining Unknown Media, so we are super pumped to be working with Maddie. She has a great show. She does amazing interviews with people in the industry, park rangers, people that run the parks, other creators in the space. So we cannot wait to work with Maddie. To commemorate that, we are going to drop the interview that she uploaded a few weeks ago to her feed today and we hope you enjoyed the interview. Joe and I had a lot of fun doing it. It was one of the funner interviews we've done, so hope you'll like it. We're gonna be off next week for the Thanksgiving holidays, so Joe and I would just like to wish everyone a happy holiday. I hope you are expending it with your family and friends and eating some great food and watching some football, and Joe and I will be back the following week with a brand new episode. We can't wait till you get back. It's nice to take a break, but Joe and I love doing this, so we always miss it when we were not able to do it. So hope you enjoyed the interview and we will see you soon. Thousands of people have mysteriously vanished in America's wilderness.
Speaker 2: Join us as we dive into the deep end of the unexplainable word and try to piece together what happened. You are listening to locations unknown.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, exciting news. You're listening to an episode from our brand news segment, Park Enthusiasts. Join in as I interview folks across the outdoor industry, from podcast hosts, outdoor brand founders, influencers, and more. I'm excited to unlock conversations with people whose love for the outdoors and national parks heavily influence their careers and life paths. Let's jump in. Welcome to Who Runs This Park? Park Enthusiast segment, where we expand our universe and knowledge of experiences in the outdoors and a national parks through conversations highly regarded and respected individuals in the outdoor world. As always, who runs this park seems to be a catalyst for inspiration, exploration, and appreciation of our world's natural beating. Today we have Mike and Joe with us, the host of the amazing podcast Locations Unknown. They're waving to you if you're listening to this audio, it's very exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just waved and didn't even say anything.
Speaker 3: Where I love it. Mike and Joe are going to give us a more in depth overview of what Locations Unknown is, But a quick summary is that it's a podcast that digs into some of the unexplained and unsolved disappearances in America's wilderness, highlighting some of the weird circumstances that seem to span across disappearances, like hampered search and rescue efforts from storms and missing individuals being found in semi conscious states without any memory of their disappearance. With both a fascinating and captivating podcast, I'm excited to dig into Joe and Mike's stories today getting a behind the scenes look on the podcast, the community they have built and are continuing to build, and their general love for the outdoors and how that shaped Locations Unknown. Mike and Joe, Welcome to the show. Excited to have you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you for having I feel so inflated.
Speaker 3: That's the goal.
Speaker 1: That was a great intro.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Hey, you're welcome. You're welcome. That's my goal, is everyone. That's a common response. People are like, wow, thanks for that great intro. Mike, we did it.
Speaker 1: I can tell you put some effort into it, and I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did some research. Well, I'd love to hear in y'all's own words, just as people who are listening to this may be new to hearing about Locations Unknown. Could you share a bit more from your perspective, the heart behind the podcast, and then the story of what got you guys to start it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, Locations Unknown. I always tell people it's I would say a mix between. If you've ever seen the show Survivor Man, it hasn't been on TV for a while now, but the plot of that show is basically, a guy went out into the wilderness with cameras and just filmed himself surviving before bear grills ever did it? This guy did it? Originally he was legit. He was legit, like he would get dropped off and then just film himself like for a week out in some remote place. So I say we're a mix between Survivor Man and the older version of Unsolved Mysteries. If you ever remember that show that goes back, even the show with that creepy guy that used to host it, and it really started. Joe and I have been hiking backcountry hiking, climbing, camping for over a decade together and longer than that on our own, and we would always talk about these cases while we were hiking and going they can't see them, and so you know, we'd be hiking somewhere and we'd go buy a sign and somebody would be, you know, be a missing poster sign for someone that had just gone missing in the park. So we would when you're out hiking, you really don't have a lot to you know, there's no phones, you're just kind of out there in the wilderness, and so we'd get to talking about these things and very fascinating cases obviously where people seem to literally just vanish off the face of the planet. And over time, when back in twenty eighteen, now we were we're at a bar, I think just talking about like talking about one of these cases. And well it started on our trip in Montana.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because we were we were doing a big backcountry here. That was the longest one at the time that we've done, because I think we did like forty to fifty miles to the back country wow Glacier.
Speaker 2: So it was amazing.
Speaker 4: It was what five days, Yeah, it was like a week in the backcountry. We have to we have to go check into the ranger station, get watch the videos on bear safety all that stuff. And there were one or two people in the last three months that had gone missing at the time. So at the end of it, the ranger showed us the slip saying, hey, you are going on the same path that these two people were on. They never came out. Here's what they were wearing. Here's kind of where they were supposed to be. If you see anything, like mark it on the map, take GPS coordinates, and let us know any come out. So it wasn't like, hey, search for him, but you're gonna be there. If you anything, just make sure you report it. So when you're a back country you don't have anything to do besides walk and talk. So we were just hypothesizing about what could have happened, like, oh, what do you think happened to these guys? Like as we're hitting the spots where they were supposed to be, we're kind of, you know, fascinated in the topic. And we spent a lot of time on that trip talking about it. And then back to the bar scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were back here in Milwaukee at a bar somewhere it can't bar, it can't bar, and we were just talking about I think I came to Joe and I'm like, you know what, we should try and record what we talk about to see if anyone would be interested in listening. And at the time we thought it was kind of a crazy idea, like who is going to want to listen to anything we're saying?
Speaker 4: And when you just hear your self talk for the first time in podcast, you feel so sad.
Speaker 3: I can relate my well you not only feel stupid, but like I adore my sister, but she will tell me the truth and she'd be like, I mean, I had friends like making fun of me. I showed them the trailer that I was making and they were like, have you ever seen like mimicking how I said, ever, and I was like, you know what, everyone I'm trying out here, well, you know what it is.
Speaker 4: It's it's a mix too, because at least this is how I felt because at the time when we started it, everyone was starting a podcast. Like everyone in their mom was starting a podcast. Everyone and their mom was doing.
Speaker 1: Like yoga, So you just had this whole You had these waves of people that would like pick up a thing all together. It was like the different workouts whatever, and everyone would be talking about it and just shoving it in your face. So it's like you're doing it too, and you're like, oh man, we're just like everybody else like.
Speaker 2: Doing this thing. So we didn't really tell anyone about it.
Speaker 1: No, I like didn't.
Speaker 4: We didn't tell our friends at all. We're like, let's just start doing it and see how it sounds. Yeah, and we recorded our first episode in the attic.
Speaker 1: Of my house. Oh it was you know, it sounded like we were in a tin can. But yes, the the cases themselves are so interesting, and I think that's kind of what really kept us going was the case is really a lot of them just kind of you sit there and think about it and you can't think of an like a plausible explanation for why this person's missing. Some of them are as crazy as the guy was walking down the trail and his buddy was behind him one second, looked away, looked back, and he was gone. I mean, yeah, some of them are that strange. And just to be able to talk about those and you know, over time, we've gotten better equipment and we've gotten better at you know, doing it. Yeah, I mean, you know talking.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the big I think that's a big thing that makes it weird is when you watch any TV show, what are they doing? Their acting, their voices are a little bit different. So when you really think about what we're all doing, it's entertainment. So we have to be entertaining and that means being a little over the top or boisterous more than normal. So all the people that have known you your whole life and you talk a certain way, all of a sudden you throw some spin behind it, and they're like, what's going on with you?
Speaker 1: What's happening? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Are you okay?
Speaker 1: Yes? But you know, if you put in enough time and effort and stay authentic, yeah, we found the biggest thing people like is that you're authentic and you're not You're not being fake. We always say that Joe and I are exactly the same way we are when we're doing the podcast, we are in real life. Yes, Yeah, there's no like fake Joe and Mike that you're hearing, so which which makes negative reviews hurt just a little bit more. Yeah, because sometimes they really like personally attack you, like I just don't know what was the most recent one. It said something like like specifically at me too. I was like, Joe seems like the guy at the party syndrome. You know.
Speaker 4: It was like the guy at the party who you want to meet but then you regret it immediately. And Mike, unfortunately it was too nice to him to ever ditch him many years ago, and now it's like it went on and I was like, holy cow, I'm like, it's kind of accurate, damn it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get a thick skin, Like I remember the first couple of mean reviews we got back in the day, and after the first couple, you're kind of you just let him roll off. You really have to have a thick skin. And it was like our friends, it was your mom, that was my mom, My mom's you guys are terrible, get better.
Speaker 3: But I remember the first like I'm still on the smaller side. But the first negative comment I got was an email and they were like, I really liked the comment, but it was unbearable how much you said the word like, and I just I want to listen to the Yellowstone episode, but I don't think I can stand it. And I was like, don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know, right, Yeah, you can probably relate to this, like, once you do something like this, you really have an appreciation for how much time and effort people put into even if it's a bad show, Like they're still putting time and effort into that. Yeah, I've felt like I've never once left a bad or mean review. I just stopped listening, like I've never That's part of the doing this. I mean, as you get, you know, more and more people listen, there's going to be some haters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh for sure.
Speaker 1: But that's the long story of the podcast.
Speaker 3: I love it. The something that's coming to mind and this is a very tactical or recent experience, but I just went back country camp or backpacking in North Cascades National Park working on a documentary, so kind of related to the who runs this park World, but a little bit different. And I kind of joked that I've listened to too many locations Unknown Tooth and Saw and National Park After Dark episodes. Yeah, and it was the first time I've been backpacking since listening to all those podcasts, and my mind was whirling. And to add to it, literally right as we were going into the back country, one of the park rangers we were with was like, oh, this guy went missing from this trailhead and is still not found yet. And I was like, and he was like, yeah, people kind of go up out here to get lost. And I was like, I am going in the back country with two strangers that I'm working with, And thankfully we found out that he had been found like the day before, right before we went in. So that made me feel a lot better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that you wouldn't stumble upon him. Correct.
Speaker 3: I was like, so you're telling me because he left his window rolled down of his car and left wallet on the front seat, and that shit just seemed sketchy to me. Yeah, And so I was just, you know, my mind was whirling. So I say all that story to kind of understand, as you've dug into this world a little bit, how has it affected your mentality when spending time outdoors.
Speaker 1: Well, I definitely think about I think in my head like, well, I hope I don't end up on our own show as like a joke, but part partially, you know, I'm really thinking that because over the years, like Joe and I on the episode, well, there's a section where we'll do a location profile and we'll kind of towards the end of that, we'll give tips and advice on how to hike safely in that area, and thinking back on a lot of the hikes before we started the show, like there's probably a lot of things I didn't even follow from our own show in the past, and some like stupid things we probably did where we could have gotten injured or lost or maybe even killed. And so it's like, you know, just maybe some luck that nothing bad happened, but I wish I would have, you know, taken my own advice back in the day.
Speaker 4: Yes, So yeah, for me, it hasn't affected my love of going hiking and climbing.
Speaker 2: If anything, it's just made me more aware of what could go wrong.
Speaker 1: So you know, I'm.
Speaker 2: Probably more risk averse, which is a good thing.
Speaker 4: But you know, it may like There's been times where it's like you're climbing up a rock face or something you're like, should I be doing this?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I'll be fine.
Speaker 4: Now, I'd probably like, eh, if I got that feeling, I'm gonna not do it. Yeah, I think I'd say that's the biggest difference. But other than yeah, it hasn't like slowed it down.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, I'm not like afraid to go hiking. It makes me want to go out more and wish I lived, you know, somewhere out west where I could go hiking every weekend.
Speaker 4: Right, But yeah, you think of the sheer number of people that go into national parks every year and how many cases, Like, there's a lot of cases, and we're taking them all and putting them in one spot. We're highlighting the worst case scenarios. Yes, but I mean millions of people go every year, and yeah, only a handful will get lost of that's pretty good odds that you'll be okay if you just fallow base.
Speaker 3: I know, I had to remind myself that I kind of like, if I studied all the things I live in Austin and I used to live in New York, if I studied all the like crimes that happened in these cities, I would feel that same fear. No exactly, but there was. I was in Rocky Mountain National Park a couple months ago, just doing a day hike, and I had the effect of my podcast because there, like a weather storm kind of came in and it started snowing and it got really windy, and I in my head, I was like, I can't be like, literally the superintendents tell me about people being unprepared all the time, Like, I can't be that one person that like is unprepared, and like someone had died in the area the next day, and these two older women were like, you must turn around. It's super dangerous. And we were like okay, and then we turned around and then it cleared up, and then we turned back around and kept hiking. But I definitely thought of the podcast, and I was like, I can't be one of the superintendent stories that they like have to set up a release or on social media or something like that.
Speaker 1: Well, your show would probably blow up though when they rescued you. And then it went out.
Speaker 4: There the girl, the girl who literally interviews people and is told daily not to do this, did it?
Speaker 3: You're right? Honestly, I regret it. I should have done that, yeah, assuming I was rescued. Yes, So you kind of alluded to this here and then also in some of the like stuff I found about your show, you've alluded to having some pretty wild experiences outdoors and to set the scene for listeners. Mike, I think this was on your website intro, but you said, along my travels, I've met some interesting characters, have had to deal with a few medical scares, had some close calls up on cliffs, and even camped overnight with armed park rangers searching for an aggressive grizzly. So I'd love to hear just from y'all's perspective, some of the wild experiences you've had outdoors really just honestly for it's, you know, fun to look back on the times we survived.
Speaker 4: You should do canyon Lands, and then we'll segue into the Grizzly. Yeah, because Joe and I were we were a part of the Grizzly one. But yeah, I'll try to make it as quick as I can. But yeah, one of the craziest experiences I had was literally the first hiking trip me and two of my friends went on. We decided to backcountry hike probably.
Speaker 1: One of the harder places in the country to hike, so canyon Lands National Park, but not just the park. We decided the backcountry hike the Maze District of Canyon Lands, which is incredibly remote and dry and it's called the Maze District. But so yeah, you know, we prepared ahead of time. We had, you know, the proper gear, and we even we checked with the ranger station. So there's little I guess guysers throughout the park that the rangers have like a whiteboard that you could they checked the flow of it every couple of days. So we went in there and we checked the flow and we kind of knew on the map like all right, here's where they are. So like we had a lot of water with us, but you're in the desert. It was September, so it wasn't incredibly it wasn't like summer hot, but it was still I would say probably in the upper eighties and really dry. So we start hiking and we're in a day now and it's towards evening. We get to the first area for water, bone dry, and we're like, oh, this is this is interesting. So we we camp we still have you know, some water with us. It's the next day and we hiked to the next spot that was supposedly going to have water and it's bone dry. So now we are there's three of us. We've got limited water at this point. So that night we camped on this like really cool kind of like cliff edge that overlooked kind of I don't know if you've ever seen, you know, like in the Southwest, you got all those like red canyon like slat canyons, and it kind of overlooked a couple like a like a junction of several of those types of canyons. So we're sitting there around you know, our tents and we're kind of just it's really quiet. We're just because we probably have between three you know, grown grown men. We've probably got like I don't know, a leader and a half of water left. So and we're kind of just thinking like what are you know, what are we going to do? Like this this we should have We should be on a beach somewhere like drinking pochtos. Why why did we do this? And here we are so we you know, we made it. We had a tough decision to make you know, just do we hike back out and you know, risk it, or do we we think the next place is going to have water. So we decided to push forward, and the next morning we continue on our track web you know, climbed out into the canyons and probably hiked for almost the full day. We at some point during midday we ran out of water. So at this point, like no water left, and we finally get it's kind of dusk and we finally get to the area that was supposed to have water and there was like just this kind of small, like little swampy patch of water, and I mean it was like, I don't know, like a feeling when you're like just overjoyed, like we found like it wasn't even that much water, but it was enough to you know, filter fill up our bottles. But that experience was, you know, when you hit the point where you run out of water in the desert and you're not sure where you're gonna find water. That was a real eye opening experience, to say.
Speaker 3: The least lightly.
Speaker 1: And it didn't help too. Once we found water, we actually got lost too. Yeah, and one of our buddies, shocking, Yeah, he was ex military, so he was trained and reading topographic maps, so we were able to kind of navigate our way out of there. But the thing I learned from that experience was when something doesn't go right on like a hiking trip or back, the first thing you don't want to You don't want to panic. You kind of want to sit down, gather yourself. You want to just you know, take ten minutes, just if you have to do like breathing exercise, just calm yourself down, because if you're if you're calm, you'll make rational decisions. If you're panicked and you're like, how what am I gonna do? You know, freaking out, you're gonna make panic decison visions. And you know, we all kind of just calmed ourselves down. We figured out like, all right, what are we gonna do? Like we're not going to die in this canyon. Let's figure this out. And I think, but you don't want to that, you don't want to think that, while you want to have the mentality that you're gonna make it out of there. And I think that's important any if you're hiking in the you know, Colorado or wherever you're hiking, if you get lost, like, don't panic, you know, just take a breather and you know, gather yourself and you know, logically think through you know, think like what Matt Damon said in The Martian, that's like great advice, Like what did he say? No, He's like someone asked him like, how did you How did you like stay sane with all of these problems that you had to figure out? And he's like, all you got to do is what's the problem right in front of you? Figure that one out, move on to the next problem, and if you figure out enough problems, you might live and get off Mars like that.
Speaker 3: So you might and you like we're essentially on a Mars like landscape.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really did.
Speaker 4: Feel like, yeah, that's why you connect so much of that movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're like, actually, I like basically keep in my soul.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think Martian wasn't even out. Actually in bar Nato, you are Matt, Matt Damon plays you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so no, that was one of the more crazy kind of life life and death situations. Literally our first hiking trip.
Speaker 3: Insane that that's your first like backcountry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we picked Yeah, we were we were like where are you? Where should we hike for the first time? Oh, let's do Canyon Lands. We've never hiked ever in our lives. Like someone who doesn't like you told you to go there. Yeah, yeah, this was I mean this was over ten years ago. And yeah we had never like we'd camped and done stuff like that, but we had never backcountry hiked. And yeah, so we picked Canny Lands.
Speaker 3: Wow. So I'm glad, y'all We're okay. Yeah, it's the getting lost piece is like freaky, because I mean, that's really lucky that you guys had someone the.
Speaker 4: Feelings to get over you when you first realized you might be lost. Is very terrifying. It's such a it's such a weird feeling too.
Speaker 3: When when in your normal life we live by like Google maps, when in the day to.
Speaker 4: Day, well, if you get lost, I mean even if you're in a city and you get lost, you're like, oh, I'm still around, like people like I'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: There's a gas station there, Yeah, I can go ask somebody. But yeah, when you're like out there, it's so weird because you're like, oh, yeah, this is when people die.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, you're interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've kind of turned around. In like alpine environments, there's something special about getting lost in like the Southwest when you're in like, yeah, desert's worse canyon Lands.
Speaker 3: I don't need to experience that.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's it's actually like canyon Lands is a beautiful park. I mean, it's amazing. We and it was. I mean, we saw one other person there that whole trip that we were.
Speaker 2: Back at people and the go in the middle the maze in the desert.
Speaker 1: We eventually hiked down to the Colorado River and ended up swimming that trip, So think about like the same trip we ran out of water, thought we were going to die to a couple of days later we were swimming in the Colorado. So, I mean that was the same hiking trip too.
Speaker 3: So I actually haven't told any listeners this yet, but one of my like it wasn't specifically back country, but you're just making me think of like the duality. But I was in I had done a backcountry trip in Hawaii Volcanos National Park in college with the like outdoor group. And on the last day we stayed in the hostel and then we were driving back to the main city to fly out, and it was when the missile, like false missile thing went off, and so we like, I kid you not for thirty minutes thought we were going to die by nuclear missile. Well, it was crazy. It was like there was not a cloud in the sky. Yeah, and I called my family, was like handing the phone off to everyone, like and then we find out on Twitter that it was a false alarm. And then we were on our way to swim with dolphins in the bay. So we had literally just had this like you're gonna die. Everyone's analyzing how they reacted, and then we're sitting on a catamaran in a beautiful, perfect sky blue day and no one's talking, like everyone's just in their thoughts like this. One guy's like, I called my girlfriend and not my family, and like, I guess it's.
Speaker 1: A good sign for his relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, right, check in on him. How's it going.
Speaker 1: That park is like I've hiked that part too. That is like being on Mars.
Speaker 3: It was crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a crazy park.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well you have to share the I guess the Grizzly story and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll take that one.
Speaker 4: I was pulling up visuals too, so I'll go into it. That was the long, the long hiking trip, and you have to let me know if you can see this. When I switch. We were at the Fifth Mountain Campground. I know we're vertical, so I'll try and keep it in the middle. But I don't even know where the start was. But we basically did this loop that was like this through the park in Glacier National Park.
Speaker 3: Zo Oh, this was the recent trip.
Speaker 4: No this this I've been to Glacier many times. This was like the first time we went there.
Speaker 1: I can get this three D.
Speaker 4: That sound that great, But it's a pretty it's a beautiful campground because it's exposed. Yeah, and I actually I have some so you can see some of these views. They're just gorgeous, just wide open, amazing views. So what we were doing was typically when you get these backcountry permits, because we did get them about a year in advance, we were staying at four or five different four or five different nights, I forget the exact number, but normally you're going to camp at a new site every day. Yeah, this particular one, because we wanted to climb this mountain, we were staying two nights, which is how we got stuck out there. So all the campsites are usually full because again you have to get the permits in a This was like August.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. I'm sure we'll say one of these folks. Yeah. But we set up.
Speaker 4: Camp, we had we did our one night, we wake up the next day, we go just day hiking with the intended coming back. When we come back to camp, there's nobody there and there's probably like six or seven spots where people can set up their tents, and it was just completely empty and we're like, this is really wild, Like that's unusual.
Speaker 1: It's very unusual. And we're like, this is awesome. We have the whole place to ourselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then all of a sudden, two rangers come up on horseback and they've got shotguns and one of them goes. One of them is like an old old like he's been in the mountains his whole life. He's like, what the hell are you boys doing here? And I immediately go, hey, we got the permits. And they had recently they're chasing two Canadians that were permit jumping, so we had just seen how angry they get.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, I got my permits. I got Like I'm like thinking, like we think we're hopping. No. I think this was the first So we hiked into this campsite because the night before a tent was attacked, so we hadn't been here yet, so we were hiking in and this was the first day.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, there's a there's a juvenile grizzly. You made me jump ahead at the story. Money, there's a juvenile grizzly. That's like actually going after people intents like it's not it's it's it's it was they said it was. Yeah, probably ad twelve or thirteen year old grizzly. That's just like getting arnery.
Speaker 1: So what happened is we hiked all day, got to the campsite at dusk and they hadn't even gotten out there yet to post signs that it was closed, so we didn't know it was. There was just no one there. Yeah, jumping ahead of me, that's why. Well I wanted to correct it because I remember we hadn't been there before. Oh okay, yeah, oh the day okay, yeah, because the night before what happened.
Speaker 2: Okay, So so yeah, we're we're just eating dinner. I think I even have a picture of us just setting up shop here. That's our friend Shay and Ben. There's Mike.
Speaker 4: So we're setting up dinner, and all of a sudden, these these sheriffs roll up and they got the guns, like, what the hell are you boys doing here?
Speaker 1: And I show them like, hey, we got permits and they're.
Speaker 4: Like, no, we closed every campsite in like a twenty mile radius because they're danger. They're putting these signs up and they like cleared every even if he'd permit, it's like nope, you can't go, can't go. And by the time they got to us, it was super late at night, so they're just like, you boys just got to stay here with us.
Speaker 2: So I think there's one of the rangers right there, that's a ranger Peach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rangerer Peach, Like, yeah, I tagged him. He was awesome.
Speaker 4: So we just put all of our tents like in a circle in the middle, and they camped near us and we just hung out with them. And the intent was if the bear comes, they're gonna put it down. Oh so yeah, he looks as he's like, do any of you boys got a gun? And I was like, oh, I have one in my in my bag. He's like, you're gonna want.
Speaker 1: To sleep with it just in case, And I don't know, I think he was messing with you, definitely was.
Speaker 2: He was definitely messed with me. But at that time I was like, oh shit, like this is gonna get real.
Speaker 1: I didn't Yeah, of course.
Speaker 4: I didn't sleep, so I had I had my bear spray and he was just like, you definitely do not discharge your bear spray in the tent at all. When this comes out. He's like, nobody hears bear spray until we tell you, which means he just didn't want to get bear sprayed essentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh, what happened was the night before there were camp the campsite was full and one of the camp sites was attacked by a grizzly. Yeah, and the hikers. The hikers weren't in it at the time. It like they had left their tent there and they went out hiking and the grizzly came down into camp and like shredded the tent, shredded everything inside of it. And so we hiked all day to get there. Yeah, we get there at like six or seven o'clock at night, like Joe said, And they had they hadn't even posted signs on the campsite area because it happened so recent. So we had no clue, but we know we couldn't hike out.
Speaker 2: That's where my knee was messed up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Joe's knee was kind of That's where I got my trail name from the other the other officer called he called me Wolfheart, so my trail names Wolfhart. But yeah, and the rangers, they were like this special forces team in the park that goes and deals with bears. When they attacked people and it was so late, they're like, well, it's too late for you guys to hike out now, so you're stuck here.
Speaker 1: And one of them did like camp right next to us, and the other guy camped on the site that was attacked. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Do they like actually sleep at night or are they just awake on patrol?
Speaker 1: No, they just sleep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we hung out at dinner. We played cards with them for a little bit. They were so cool. They're a lot of fun. Yeah, and yeah, they just they sleep and they if the bear is gonna come, and we're all waking up, and we kind of put a mini plan together what to do where we're gonna go.
Speaker 1: And then I slept with my knife like in my hands. Yeah, I will started storming too, and then I was like because like Officer Peach, I'm like, if it's raining really hard with the bears, like not move around as much. He's like, they don't care.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, so we won't hear around, but we won't hear them good exactly.
Speaker 1: So that was that was terrifying.
Speaker 2: And they're making fun of Shay.
Speaker 4: So our buddy Shay had he had he had a hammock and he did not know going into this trip that at the at least at the time, hammocks were not allowed in the park. So we were like, the rangers were like, if you set it up, it's fine, Like they wrote a little note because he didn't have a tent, so his hammock was set up.
Speaker 2: An Officer Peach kept calling him bear Burrito. He's like, you're at perfect eaton height. So yeah, that was another instance where literally terrified the entire night. Yeah, it was interesting, of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well and that and that started our long string of major events in national parks that we visit the day that we're there. So there was that nothing happened so obviously like bar didn't show up, so that they were staying there another day and then we we hiked out the next day. But then was it the next year when we went to Zion there was a major flood Was that like the next trap remember it might have been. So it was the most flooding Zion National Park saw. It was during when they had the tropical storm in like Mexico and it shot up through the middle of the like through Mexico into Texas. So it brought a ton of rain and it was the flash. Flooding was so bad. A group of people that were in a slot canyon that we saw all died. No, we drove right by that group that was going in and they said that was them as last group. They're all dressed up in their black stuff. And then also it was a town south of there got hit and like a bunch of people died in a town like they were driving.
Speaker 2: In cars, like it was really bad. It was like the worst.
Speaker 4: I think it was the most amount of death that that National Park has ever seen in a single day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had the last permits, so we did top down narrows and then we did tot We did the rim hike afterwards, and we were the last permitted group that was allowed into the narrows because of the weather coming in Yeah, they knew it was coming. Yeah, And I mean, have you ever done Sion or done the narrows. It's amazing. When you're down there, you see boulders the size of like a Greyhound bus that have like you can tell they've been moved, and it's from the power of water coming through there. So when you're down in there, there's only one way out, like once you start hiking it, so you like you definitely don't want to do it when there's bad weather sea, yeah, because it up you can see the water line from when there's water in there and it's like thirty forty feet above you.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's a really cool hike.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I remember we were the last permitted group to be allowed in there, and then there were some really experienced canyoneers didn't heat. They were told multiple times by you know, climbers coming out of there, like you got to turn around, this this is gonna be deadly situation. And they didn't listen, and they started climbing down the canyon and they got that the storm hit while they were going down on their ropes, and yeah, they all got swept away and sadly died.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and it wasn't like young people.
Speaker 1: No, there were middle aged, very experienced super climbers and just kind of I always, I always to this day, like what an unnecessary risk to take? Sadly, I mean, you really the weather when you're hiking in the Southwest, you really got to keep an eye on the weather.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just so much more exposed.
Speaker 1: Than Yeah, and you can you know, it could be raining twenty miles away, and if you're downstreaming that in a canyon, you're gonna get hit with a flash flood. So yeah, that would be wild if it's not even like raining out and all of a sudden flood waters just come in. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, those are a couple stories, that's yea.
Speaker 3: The bear one, to me is insane. I mean they're all insane, but that one, like what a story.
Speaker 1: I came across a grizzly. I was hiking in the tee Tons and I was just on the trail and there was a grizzly about fifty yards off the trail and a berry patch and we like locked eyes with each other.
Speaker 2: And which is like what you don't want to do?
Speaker 1: I was, and I was terrified, but I guess not as terrified because the bear was eating like food, so like I kind of was confident that probably could leave you alone. But I just remember thinking, I'm standing on the trail just staring at this massive creature that could probably sprint and be to the trail in a couple seconds, and I'm just like, it's like it's like I'm at the zoo without a fence.
Speaker 3: Like I mean pretty much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's terrifying.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, that's crazy. The kind of jumping into locations and known a little bit more, I'd love to hear. Well, first off, just I'm curious, and then I'm sure you know, people listen to your podcasts are curious, but what were you guys doing before you started the podcast? And then I saw, actually, Joe, that you have an adventure travel company.
Speaker 4: If I'm not missing, I did, and that was like a very small endeavor I was thinking about doing. And then yeah, it's that's a whole other story we don't have to get into. I was going to buy a local Wisconsin based outdoor company called Lackey Enjoys, Okay, because I wanted to get into outdoor stuff, so I started that as a portion of it because they do a lot of retail, So I wanted to have a retail division but also connect it to like a travel division, so if you're coming and buying all the stuff, we also have this group where you can go do fun trips. So I was contracting out with just other companies or other tour venues like every other company does now, and that all fell through. I went and did Mount Kilman Jarrow. I was ready to buy the business. My wife had power of attorney to sign the paperwork. She was looking because my wife's very successful CEO, so she knows the business side, so she was looking through all the financials. I was in Africa cleming Mount Kilman Jarow and said, you have power of attorney, signed all the documents over. If all the financials look good, let's pull the trigger and do this thing. So when I come back, yeah, we'll start doing it. Yeah yeah, And it just something happened. I'm not going to get into but it just didn't work out. I was super depressed for like that whole summer because it was like kind of my dream.
Speaker 1: And then COVID hit and I was like, oh my god. I literally like, oh my god.
Speaker 4: If I just bought a retail company that was specifically focused on in person retail sales and traveling.
Speaker 1: They were kind of struggling anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was like a break even company. So I would have had to like build up to make it profitable. I would have lost everything. I literally would have lost everything. So I was like, this was okay. It literally was like everything happens for a reason, and holy cow, like my depression went away very.
Speaker 2: Quickly and not happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like that. So that was a long tangent.
Speaker 3: No, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean I I've worked in the corporate world. I still unfortunately work there. We worked together for a little bit, Yeah, we did. We really at the same company for a while. I've known Joe since college, so long long time, probably twenty years now. Yeah.
Speaker 4: We own a pharmaceutical research company because we're both my wife and I with her dad and her sister. We started this company like seventeen years ago, and she's she's a nurse practitioner. I was an EMT paramedic, so it was like a medical side and Mike came in and did accounting for us for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no way, yeah, so that was a lot of fun coo. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I worked with Joe for a while, but yeah, never Joe and I never did anything related to media production before this.
Speaker 3: We kind of yeah, me neither.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I learned on the fly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess in early episodes, Yeah, from our tin Can episode. Yeah, attic, Yeah, it's it's been an evolution, yeah, I mean really, we've been doing this since twenty eighteen, and we've slowly gotten better with the equipment.
Speaker 1: Our one claim is we were the first podcast in the space that did this thing. It's very specific, but outdoors true crime with a mix of like survive like survival skills. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I would say that was focused because other true crime shows obviously covered cases that happened in national parks, but having it be because we didn't want it to just be just another true crime. We wanted a specific spin and wanted to focus specifically on nature, like that being like a segment of Hey, Outdoors True Crime, And I mean we searched really deep to find out if anyone was doing what we were doing and it did not.
Speaker 1: Exist, and we mixed in like some conservation Joe and I are pion like the leave no trace principle of one of the fence. Our tagline. Yeah. One of the things that bothers me to no end is when I'm you know, hiking in a national park and there's garbage you can just throw garbage on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like, especially when you're backcountry.
Speaker 1: Not that those people are better, but how difficult it is to get permitted to go to backcountry means like you are not just an average like tourist visiting the parkier, you're a backpacker. And if you're gonna litter, that pisses me off so much more than just like a dumb tourist. Is like I heard this place looks nice. Yeah, so we try to stress. Yeah, we try to stress leaving the park the way you found it, you know, things like that, and not you know, don't hike off trail unless you have a permit because it can damage the ecosystem.
Speaker 2: So we try to or you'll fall in a thermal spring.
Speaker 1: Lay.
Speaker 4: Yeah that, Yeah, that some lady just did. She was off trail with her dog. You're not even supposed to have a dog. Her and her husband or dog were off trail at semite or yellow Yellowstone, yeah, Yellowstone, and she stepped right through a thermal thing like head burns on her leg.
Speaker 1: It's like, Oh, that's what you get. No, it's just yeah. So it's it's a very it's a very niche podcast. You know, we're covering true crime that's in the wilderness. Not even true crime, it's really it's it's like paranormal paranormal mysterious disappearances exten with some skills, yeah, and a flavor of conservation. I think The Unsolved Mysteries is the perfect example. It's Survivor and Unsolved Mysteries. That's really kind of that was that guy. It always opens like can your typewriter kill your mom? Yeah? Like that, there's always some weird thing you would Sayeah, he was creepy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll I'll have to do some research from.
Speaker 1: Like the early nineties.
Speaker 4: You might think what I just said is insane, But that's how the show always opens.
Speaker 2: Like can a bird communicate with a serial killer?
Speaker 1: Like? And then it would be like a weird story about how a bird led a cop to like a murderer. Yeah, but he would always be sitting on a chair and it would be like the passage of time and space. He'd be like, can your Doug tell when an earthquake is coming. Yeah, look it up.
Speaker 2: It's hilarious.
Speaker 3: Honestly, that would be pretty cool to have that like job as the copywriter for that of like coming up with the I don't know, the little episode intros.
Speaker 2: I mean, just how crazy can we make?
Speaker 1: This interest channel kind of has turned into like a whole channel of that with like Ancient Aliens, and.
Speaker 2: It's a great formula all the other crazy shows. It's never not entertaining.
Speaker 3: It's the hook, that's what That's what gets people these days.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and we we were featured on William Shatner's show, By the way, really The Unexplained with William Shatner.
Speaker 1: Joe got on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I saw something about that maybe when I was researching.
Speaker 2: Probably because I'm like a double A list celebrity now I said, I said double A mic after the whole alphabet and starts over again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it was pretty cool. I Joe. We it was my bachelor party, so I I couldn't like they would have taken either one of us, I think at that point. But yeah, I couldn't go because I had already committed to something else. So Joe was on one of the episodes of The Unexplained with William William Shatner talking about the Crater Lake Case.
Speaker 4: And you were busy being cole of act from a national park that was on fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, not WHOA. So we were hiking in your Eye Yosemite before my bachelor party, and we ended up getting evacuated out of there because the forest fires were encroaching on You took a helicopter out of there. No, oh, where when did you guys take a helicopter. We chartered one in Canada.
Speaker 2: That's what it was.
Speaker 1: Okay. There was no fire though.
Speaker 2: Okay, that would have been so much cooler.
Speaker 1: I know, I should just say just roll with it on it next time, next interview. Yeah, we had to get rest. Like I was. I was on the top of a tree. The flames were coming.
Speaker 3: Up to You're like, I actually flew the helicopter.
Speaker 2: It was the last helicopter out and you leaped and took the rail.
Speaker 3: Left all your bachelor friends there, had no one in your wedding.
Speaker 1: Yep, but I survived to tell the story.
Speaker 2: Next interview, we do. That's what we're going with.
Speaker 3: Great, I'll expect it. I'll like try to like figure out who you're talking to next. And yeah, we'll plan get them to ask that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a crazy story if it were true.
Speaker 3: If it were true. What stories, Because you've, you know, spent a lot of time obviously digging into these stories, what stories do you find sticking with you the most? Or I guess that's one question. And then are there anyones that you're like still super curious about that You're just like, man, I wish we knew how this happened.
Speaker 1: You go, what's your favorite one? Not? I mean or not favor it's a weird it's not favorite. One of the really puzzling ones was the guy. Yeah, it was the one. I can't remember his name, if maybe you could look it up, Joe. It was in the Southwest summer. He was on the production crew, Oh dam or apparance Williams. Yeah, I bet it's Terrence Williams. He was on the production crew for Disney or Discovery Channel. They were filming like a spinoff for like one of those gold Rush shows, and they were out west somewhere and something happened to him where he like, he was normal one second and then something came over him. It wasn't Joshua Tree, wasn't No, it was mel Evans from Evans, Yeah, and it was he's Joshua Tree. So that's not that one. Joe will find the actual guy's name. But he something came over him, like while they were on set, like out in the desert, and he just dropped everything and just ran off into the desert and they never found he was gone. Whoa. And that one always sticks with me just how you know, like what caused him to do that? Was is there foul play involved with the crew? Did something happen on set? Like did he have a mental breakdown? Like what happened to this guy? What caused him to just like change and just run Like I mean, the description of what happened was he just kind of ran off into the desert. Like they didn't know why. He didn't say anything to anyone. He just like started sprinting down this hill and just off into the desert, which is mind boggling.
Speaker 3: That's really crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So like that case, there's there's so many cases that we covered. A couple cases that happened in the Smoky Mountains of like boy scouts that were part of a large group that like one boy scout just vanished in the span of like a minute. Terrence Woods, Terrence Woods, that's the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that one's really the Desert case.
Speaker 1: The Desert case. Yeah, what location was that, I mean, I'll find it. I just looked at I think it was article. Yeah. But like the other two cases, there were two cases in the Smoky Mountains in the late sixties, like pretty close to where it was like an eight or ten year old boy in like a group of boy scouts that just kind of vanished within a minute and they never found the remains or anything. The case is where like someone is there and then isn't there, like in a very short span of time, is always puzzling and fascinating, like how did that happen? Like is someone in lying?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, and then like even if you lose them within thirty seconds, yeah, you would think you'd be able to find them quickly by searching or yeah.
Speaker 1: And then I mean there's other cases that we've covered of really experienced climbers going missing, which you know, in part, you know, is more explainable because they're already in very hostile environments that there's a chance, like even a really experienced person has accidents sometimes, so like yeah, and these places are so vast you know this from talking to park people and being in the parks, Like Joey says, it's like finding a needle in a needle of a needle and a second needles in a second needle. Yeah, I mean some of these parks are so vast, Like there's even if you got one hundred people out there in helicopters, it's really hard to find anything.
Speaker 3: Well, it's even I was I don't know where I saw this. Maybe it was researching for you guys or something else, but it was like, even if you're like ten meters off trail, yeah, it can be like impossible to find you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well there's a story I don't think because Idaho, Idaho. That's right, Penman Mine, I don't remember it. Yeah, yeah, Penman mind. They were filming a spin off of like gold Rush Alaska for the Discovery Channel. Oh interesting, was on the production crew, Yeah it was.
Speaker 4: It was a dateline Missing in America podcast Into Thin Air did an episode, Yeah, we did an episode.
Speaker 1: I don't write about that, no featured. Funny you mentioned that just being so far off trail. I don't know if we cover this or not, but there was a lady that passed away on the Appalachian Trail and she got lost, but it turned out she was only like one hundred yards off trail or something. Yeah, a lot of times they'll find them real close. For like twenty days before she passed away and was like keeping a journal and when they found her remains, they were like, she was so close to the trail. That sucks. Yeah, So that's just it. Really, you can you can get turned around and not be that far off trail and feel like you're, you know, in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see.
Speaker 3: Joe, do you have any of that stick with you?
Speaker 1: See mine?
Speaker 4: I'd say the biggest one is the Gwen hasselquiz cases, just because it's so like real, but it's not. It's a departure from what we normally do. If you're not familiar with that one, it was we think, and it was more of a true crime one because there's a lady who lived in the Puget Sound area and she committed suicide the day COVID broke out in Oregon, and it doesn't look like that, and it looks like I wouldn't say they swept on the rug. But my hypothesis still is not that the police work was bad. It was like Day one of COVID when everyone was like, I think the end of the world is coming. And there's this lady who looks like maybe committed suicide. They just kind of made it a suicide and if you dig into it, it looks like she might have been murdered, but potentially by her husband theoretically. And there's a lot of people that sent us information. A lot of people think that's the way it went, but it's it's one that sticks with me because it's active, it's happening right now. Yes, Yeah, So that's the one that stays with me. One that goes along the line is the one. I think it was the Mount Baker one where he was with his friends and he went around a bend.
Speaker 1: Oh and he just disappeared.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he like frequented the mountain. He's like very good at and they he's wearing like a yellow jacket in the snow.
Speaker 1: Gone, just completely gone. We did a multi part the Palmer Brothers in where was that? That was a recent case where that went up to I wish I when we only had like two years worth of episodes.
Speaker 2: You could recall all of them. A lot faster.
Speaker 1: No, we covered these this pair of brothers that both disappeared and or No, it wasn't the Palmer brothers. It was the case where we thought they might have been drug dealing. I know you're talking about. Yeah, sorry, I should it's your favorite episode episode and I should know all of these by heart. But you do enough of them, there's a lot of similarities in the case. When you start doing enough of them, like the same kind of problems arise.
Speaker 4: The Yeah, I mean we've done one hundred and twelve of them. Yeah, to be fair. But Pemberton incident, Pemberton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is a case where two guys disappeared in a relatively.
Speaker 4: Short You know, you're right, the Palmer brothers Pemberton incident. It was two different people in an area. No, that's the one I'm talking about. Pemberg Oh you meant that one. Yeah, it was I read your mind. We've been friends too long.
Speaker 1: Get It was a case where two guys went missing in a relatively short period of time, under very similar circumstances, and they could be linked. So it was a really fascinating case they found.
Speaker 3: Oh, hold on, that's just drove by folks who are curious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the only downside of doing this on like the corner of downtown Milwaukee, like right busly.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I've never been to Milwaukee, but I'm like, okay, Milwaukee, it's.
Speaker 1: Busy in the summer.
Speaker 4: It's it's very Yeah, people are out and having a good time. And as Mike said, I think before we were recording the recording, Bar Rescue literally like two doors down from us this way, so it's even crazier on the show. Yeah, they go into like bars that are not doing too good, and the guys like an he tries to but the owners never.
Speaker 2: Listen to his suggestions. Yeah, so we'll see if that bar is still there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit, but no, just wrap up the Pemberton incident. So one of the guys they believe was kidnapped by whoever murdered him, and they took his truck with him in it way out into the middle of nowhere, and then people found his truck burned out on this like logging road like way way out in the middle of nowhere. And it's a big mystery is up in Canada and very strange circumstances. There's eyewitnesses of like both the people that went missing together in a bar with this unknown individual that might have kidnapped him, and some people think that they might have been drug dealers or like it's a crazy story. Yeah, and then you find this burned out truck way out in the middle of nowhere and all his stuff strewn out on the road, and then investigators come back a day later and his stuff's been moved around, like it's still out Yeah, it's still out there, but stuff is moved so like someone was there like looking through stuff. So like very strange case. That one was really fool was a weird one. Yeah, I do think it was.
Speaker 3: That's a bad look for whoever was moving their stuff, right, Yeah, that's like you know, yeah crime one on one.
Speaker 1: Yeah they that a crime scene well and leaving all of your DNA and fingerprints all over the stuff or the potential crime scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like just not.
Speaker 3: Much like one crime episode on TV before, So I.
Speaker 2: Know all the same Yeah, right, had to cover all your tracks. Yeah, I've seen Dexter.
Speaker 1: I've seen Dexter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm aware. Yeah, what about and then what happened in Crater Lake. Remind me the that was highlighted on the Charles mccullor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Charles mccullor.
Speaker 4: He was a photographer and went there in the middle of winter unprepared and apparently like hitch hiked up a logging road and got out to take pictures and it was like some of the snow drifts for like eighteen feet, like it was treacherous, and he just kind of went off to take pictures and was never seen of again, seen from again, and they couldn't find the body.
Speaker 1: They didn't find or did they. They ended up finding like some parts that might end as yeah, yeah, but then there was a kid more recent times it vanished it Crater like two. He was with his dad and he ran across the road up this embankment into the trees and was just gone, like they never found him. Oh at Crater Lake. The show with William Shantner really put a paranormal twist on the disappearance.
Speaker 4: It was an incredible look into how they can turn what you actually said into something way more paranormal just by the head thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like like music and oh yeah, well.
Speaker 4: And just like I've so the whole idea and I probably didn't get the memo was they don't want.
Speaker 2: To solve the thing.
Speaker 1: They want to leave it open ended.
Speaker 4: So most of the interview I was doing, I was giving like very logical things that could have happened to him.
Speaker 1: They cut all that out and they left in the parts where I talked about like the native history where they think it's the place where the two gods meet, and like they left all that in of like the and then they had like a lady on after me that was like a mystic type person that studied all the folklore and cryptozoology talking about the magical stuff in the area.
Speaker 2: So they made it seem like that.
Speaker 4: I also was like saying, that's probably like the gods of like whatever, and really I was explaining what probably actually happened, and they just like, now we don't want.
Speaker 1: Any of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did read about because I was just in Crater Lake recently and there's quite a plethora of articles kind of about just different theories of the area and kind of paranormal things happening.
Speaker 2: So the paranormal are really cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the the husband and wife one where the guy I think or she went crazy or something like that and died in the lake or drowned. There's some weird like possessive type things that have occurred that are very questionable.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't really vibe with paranormal stuff. It freaks me out.
Speaker 2: I stop telling me about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm like, okay, So for all my listeners who are interested, you can just listen to locations unknown. Once in a while.
Speaker 1: We'll do Yeah, we'll do like a paranormal myth episode me doing we even done. No, they're least they're popular. We love doing them, but one likes listening to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like they would be popular.
Speaker 2: We should do another one now that we've a lot more listeners and see how it does.
Speaker 1: It'd be a good test. I mean, we've done like Urban Legends, and we've covered this mountain in Africa that like it the locals claim it swallows people and a lot of a lot of crazy stuff like that. But we very very sparingly. We've done an episode on like Area fifty one, the Bermuda Triangle, the Nevada Triangle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've covered all the Alaska travel. There's lots of triangles, all the triangles. Yeah, you don't ever want to be in a triangle. That's some good advice that you get. Never be in a triangle and you'll be fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, thanks. Well, as we're wrapping up, I would love to hear just a little bit about We talked about this briefly at the beginning, but it sounds like there's some exciting things in the works for locations unknown, specifically with the network, So I'd love to hear a little bit about that from your perspective.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of, as we said in the beginning, we love doing this and we wish we could put so many more episodes, but we both have full time jobs. So one of the goals was if we could ever get a line of sight as to how this thing being like an actual career move, or build a company that could pay us to actually do it full time. If we ever see like a path of that, we're going to go for it. And I feel like we've been meeting with industry people. We've been talking with a lot of different people about how this works and then how we could maybe change it from the old media model to a new one that's more focused on the content creators, kind of like what YouTube did, where they're not hoarding as much of the cash even because the creative power is in the people, you know, people making their own show. So all right, how can we attract a lot of really cool shows in this space to a company we create where we can help them grow if they have potential or we think they have potential, and our somewhat loosely linked to what we do, while giving them most of the benefit but also making it incentive enough for us to go full time doing it. So it's like a delicate balance and I feel like we have a decent plan that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, We actually just yesterday launched another really cool show called The Weirdos. We know from the lady who used to do the luminal true crime podcast Sarah Party. Sarah Party, and it's a super I love history and the topic of like uncovering what like famous people throughout history, like the weird stuff they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like learning new things about people you thought you knew all about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds really interesting to me. We also have a really cool up and coming podcast called Off the Trails. These two ladies cover kind of similar.
Speaker 2: They do what we do.
Speaker 1: They similar show what we do, but it's a different spin. You know, It's it's two female hosts. So some people one thing I've learned about doing podcasts is people some people like just a single person hosting, some people like two. Some people only like male voices, some people only like female voices. So like it's kind of cool having you know, if someone doesn't like Joe and I talking, like, well, we've got off the trails. They're really cool podcast.
Speaker 4: And yeah, we literally say, now if you don't like how we did it, I'm sure they'll cover it too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you might like it better.
Speaker 1: Yeah from them, and like, yeah, it's a great podcast, and we're really want to help them grow as big as they can. And heck yeah, we're big fans of game theory. In this space where I don't really look at other shows as competition.
Speaker 4: It's more kind of like it is entertainment, right, Like you don't like just one movie? Yeah, Like I like, I'm only going to watch a movie from Tom Cruise and no other movie exists. Like no, Like, you're gonna if you have time, you're gonna taken a lot of it. So there's a lot of people that listen to your show, that probably listen to our show, that listen to the National Park after Dark, that listen Tooth and Claw. So I look at it all as like, all right, great, if we can bring people into the space together that we feel have potential, like they put on a good show, that's great and it only helps everyone grow. So we really look at it that way as I really don't care that they do the exact same thing. There's gonna be people that hate our show that might love their show. So I want to be a part of that if we can. And I my life motto is I like to do cool shit with cool people.
Speaker 2: So like that's literally what it is.
Speaker 4: Like if if you're cool and you have a good show, and you're a nice person, and I can tell you're not going to like use us to like help you host and get going and then get famous, then screw off, Like like yeah, people helping each other. That's I want to be a part of that. And I think that's you know, that's where the authenticity comes in. As Mike said, yeah, it's a big part of it.
Speaker 1: Over the years, we've gotten help from other you know, podcasts and people helping us with their experience, and you know, Joe and I have been doing this long enough now we've you know, figured out a lot of the technical side of it. We've figured out a lot of the you know, technique and things that work and things that don't. And I think it would be great to you know, pass that knowledge on to other you know, shows that are starting out to help them because you you probably know this, Joe and I know this for sure. The first several years, it's just a grind with little to no reward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's and for the first yeah.
Speaker 1: And just you have to stick with it.
Speaker 4: Well, we're gonna we're gonna stay in touch outside of just this interview.
Speaker 1: Let's just keep let's keep talking. It's like a snowball rolling downhill. It starts slow, and as it gains momentum, it gets bigger and bigger. And the hardest thing, the thing that most podcasts that don't succeed do is they quit. Yep, they quit after a couple episodes because.
Speaker 2: You probably they probably quit right before they were about to start catching their year.
Speaker 1: We probably did five hundred downloads. I mean the whole year, we didn't. I didn't tell any of my family about it, so like we weren't even getting friendly downloads. Like yeah, it's still yeah, it can really get you can really get down about it, like what am I not doing? Why is this not working? No one's listening. But you just gotta if you just gotta stick with it and just keep you know, making improvements on the edge of the margins. And and you put it perfectly too.
Speaker 4: I think there's a point where how I look at it, what we can do and Mike said it perfectly, like we like to really try and help people out. So it's almost like when we're in that period of time where it's like, man, is this worth it? Like we're having fun and we're still having fun, so we'll keep doing. But like, what's the point. I wish there was somebody who was bigger. I mean, we're not a huge show, but we've we've done months where we're over one hundred thousand dollars, so big shows will be like, haha, that's it.
Speaker 2: It's like, no, that's huge for us.
Speaker 3: Because but from a small show, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, I wish somebody like that would have like had something we could go talk to me like, hey, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like someone that's already gone through the trials and tribulations so that you know, we would love to like after this, we'll one hundred percent. Keep talking to you, Maddie and be like, hey, here's what we learned here.
Speaker 1: Use it or not.
Speaker 2: But if you can take that and run with it.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. And I would say, like the key to it, too is continue doing what you like. Don't change your show or change what you're doing just because you know comments or you know, like if it's a tech.
Speaker 2: Get an angry email from a lady who doesn't like your voice.
Speaker 1: Like if it's a technical thing like your microphone, something's wrong with that. Obviously, try and improve that. But like the core of your show like never changed, Like if you enjoy doing it that way, and that's what's fun for you, like that, Like Joe and I have always talked like people sometimes with our show, we do location profile, character profile, timeline theories and we've always done that and some people absolutely hate it. We spend half the show talking about location. Yeah, it could be fifteen minutes before we get to the story. But some people love it, and Joe and I like doing that, so we're like, we're not gonna change it. And yeah, and every now and then we'll just do something weird because we want to. Yeah, we do a fun show. Because I love talking about like UFOs and stuff that's did we did National Park Trivia once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you do fun.
Speaker 1: If it's not fun anymore, then you know why why do it? So, like that's the biggest advice to anyone to you know, starting a show, like have fun doing Yeah, if you're just chasing money and views, it's probably gonna not be as fun and you will be inauthentic. You're gonna do what everyone tells you, so you're gonna get all the bad reason to be like, all right, change it, change it. Before you know it, it's not you or your show anymore. Yeah, it's a grind, but it's fun if you'd enjoy doing it. You don't care as much about the grinding part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, well heck yeah I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah thanks, Yeah, well I need that. I feel like I'm in the.
Speaker 1: The phase of like you're in the grind phase.
Speaker 2: You're in the grind phace, Yeah, you're well.
Speaker 3: And then also, i've done twenty six okay.
Speaker 1: So you've probably done more than we did in the first year. Under you're doing one of them then when we started. Yeah.
Speaker 3: What's interesting though, is like there's only sixty three Capital N, Capital P national parks, and so there's kind of this like there will be a pivotal moment where I kind of have to figure out what the next thing is. And so that's part of why I'm starting these types of interviews.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: I was doing my research and I saw that video where you're like, hey, we're doing these segments now and you're gonna have other shows on and look and going into influencers. That's like perfect because you could tell like that something You're just like, hey, this would be neat, that's your pivot. Yeah, I mean that was us with the paranormal shows. We of X Files and the paranormal stuff, So were like, hey, let's do fun what I'm like blanket on the word for each state, where like let's pick a state and do like urban Legends, top three urban legends from that state, like yeah, and a lot of people didn't like it, but we.
Speaker 1: Did it like five times. Yeah it was fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, something I've found with honestly with both segments is like I interviewed the CEO of Knowles and Knowles is like, I don't know if y'all know Knowles, but it's one of my favorite companies, and I'm like, how I wouldn't be able to talk to them any other way, really like and have an hour long conversation with them, or like similar with y'all. Like if I didn't have a podcast, I'm sure I could send fan mail and be like, I love your podcast. That's so cool, but like I wouldn't be able to just chat for an hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're very You're very easy to talk to. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 4: So you definitely I can tell just from this because I mean we weren't recording yet. I kind of wish we were, but I mean we opened up and you're like, why does your background.
Speaker 1: Look like that?
Speaker 2: We we started get I'm like, oh, this is what I used.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, after like five minutes of talk, we're like, oh, hi, Maddie, I'm Joe.
Speaker 2: Nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, by the way, hello, Yeah, But I mean.
Speaker 4: Fun, Yeah, you know, you're you're an amazing conversation list. I know we kind of ate up a lot of the time answering questions, but I.
Speaker 3: Mean that was the point I was interviewing you guys.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's because we feel comfortable talking to you. So you're gonna do amazing.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, thank you that.
Speaker 1: Yeahah, this was a lot of fun. Yeah, and like Joe and I, I mean we could probably keep talking for another That's a lot of people don't like that we blather on. I know we do blather it's because we're buddies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's something. This is more like something I've thought about is my favorite podcasts are the ones where it's like co hosts chatting and the candor between them. Yeah, and so I'm trying to figure out I think these type of interviews, especially with other podcast hosts, are a little bit more candor based and our fun yeah, because it's also like candor and it's good for the listener. But then also it's just fun for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The superintendents are a little bit more buttoned up. They just have to be. And so yeah, it's fun for me to kind of get into this space and mimic that without necessarily having a co host. Yeah, at least.
Speaker 1: They could do. You could do guest co hosts. Yeah, you could do. Yeah, I mean you could you could have like Mic on for an episode. Like it's like, I'm being serious.
Speaker 4: If you want to do a cool episode and like, and we're gonna have Mike join and then we'll do one I'll join, or just as you meet cool people, just invite him back. We have our buddy Andy come on every now and then because he researched one case and he's got a fantastic radio voice, and he's done like what like three or four shows with us. Usually he did the Gwen shows and then yeah he did like yeah, yeah, he did trivia and then he did one other one reviews. Once in a while we do patron episodes where you read reviews people left, or we have a phone number that people can calm leave voicemails.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, play those yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, that can make it easier, and it just changes things up a little bit. So you're in the pert you're in the exact mindset you need to be in to keep your show growing and being awesome. It's it's I can tell you, and I can tell from your reactions and your faces that sometimes it sucks, and that's what we make it sound like.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 2: We've had times we're like, oh.
Speaker 1: Like I don't want to do this. Yeah, We've come in sick to do it. Yeah, tired.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but then we always.
Speaker 1: Leave and I'm like, I'm glad we did it. Yeah, I'm glad. Okay.
Speaker 3: Usually, yeah, that's what I feel of Like i'd say nine times out of ten, sometimes I'll be like tired, Like honestly, this is eight. Like I was tired and I was like, oh, and then now I'm like, I know I have all the energy in the world. That was a stipped till however long Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I mean there's really no shortage of you know, once you run out of park superintendents, you could start reaching out to search and rescue organizations.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we trailed maintenance guys. Trail maintenance guys are and they're crazy. They're crazy crazy.
Speaker 1: We've interviewed some search and rescue guys. We've interviewed law enforcement. We'd recently just did a case in Wisconsin where we interviewed to law enforcement officers that that was a rough one. That was rough one. They pulled an audible on us. But we're supposed to interview one guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he brought another dude in and then just like put a speak your phone on his desk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was like, dude. The audio version of this is not going to be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you hear one guy was sitting far away from the phone kind of just yelling. And we've done we've done interviews with family members of missing people. Yeah, it's it's it's hard to get We've found it's hard to get interviews. A lot of times people back out. Yeah, like people are on controversial topics.
Speaker 4: Yes, because like if we're calling and be like, hey, tell us about your park, it's a little bit easier. Oh, if you haven't talked to this, here's a good lead, and we could introduce you to him.
Speaker 2: The PIO of Joshua Tree.
Speaker 1: He's not there anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh he's not, but you could still reach out to him.
Speaker 1: Maybe. Yeah, he's probably. I mean he loves doing an interview.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really, Yeah, and he's he's a he's a funny guy. He's cool.
Speaker 1: That was years ago, that was the Paul Miller case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we George Lamb, Yeah, George Lamb.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's like I was in the North Cascades filming a documentary. Kind of the idea is like through the eyes of the park rangers, you get an understanding of the park and the National Park Service as a whole, and the park ranger that I was with was awesome.
Speaker 1: Cool shit with cool people. Yeah, that's exactly. This is our way of telling you reach out to us, and we will help you literally anyway any way we can. Our resources are.
Speaker 3: You're meeting me at a good time where I'm literally like in a flux and I'm like, what do I do?
Speaker 2: That's why you reached out to do this.
Speaker 4: We're like, yep, one of Like I'll be honest, i'd even hear of your show yet, but I'm like, all right, that's a great name, great thing about And then I started listening to it.
Speaker 2: I was like, all right, this is cool.
Speaker 3: Well thanks, I appreciate that. Yeah, I appreciate your time and I had a lot of fun, So that's the most important thing.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Hey everyone, thanks for listening today. If you like this podcast, please share the word. Who Runs this Park's success relies on you rating or viewing and sharing the word of the podcast with your friends. If you have an idea for someone you want me to interview for this new segment, send me an email at Maddie at who runs this Park dot com or dm me on Instagram at who runs this Park and we'll make it happen. Thanks again, so thankful for listeners like you. See you next week.