Speaker 1: But when you can walk up to a woman and be yourself and say, Hey, what's up. I'm Robbie. I want to meet you. What do you think of my style? You don't have to You don't have to be stuck on the dating apps. The world becomes your dating app. Welcome back to be How to Get a Girlfriend Podcast. I'm your host, dating coach Connell Barrett, here to help you get a great girlfriend and to do it by knowing exactly what to say and flirting like you mean it. And I have a really special guest today because joining me is Robbie. Robbie is a former client of mine who now has a girlfriend and he has absolutely crushed it with me, and he is going to share some of his approaching and flirting struggles he used to have and then talk about some of the breakthroughs that he had, including one of the most amazing nights I've ever seen a client of mine have. Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Robbie, Thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 1: Thanks for being here. Man. I cannot tell you how inspiring you are to other people. So you first came to me way back last year and you were struggling, as I recall you were dealing with some things like social anxiety, and you just wanted to be able to meet women out in the real world. Flirt chat, get some dates, tell us about where you were when you first spoke with me person.
Speaker 2: So I think I'll basically go on a tangent about my life how I always dealt with low self esteem. How that pretty much pretty much I wouldn't wouldn't want to say ruin to my teenage life, but impacted in a really bad way. So I'm the kind of kid who always dealt with really bad low self esteem. I never thought of someone who's good looking or is deserving. On top of that, I always had like social anxiety, so not just dating, even in terms of just talking to people, I always struggled with that. So basically, if you had social anxiety and also low self esteem, whether it's your social life or your dating life, both, it's going to be heavily impacted. And that's what happened to me when I was in my teens. Also a kind of translator over to my adulthood as well. So I think till I was off a certain age, I'm in my early twenties. But let's say till I was twenty two or twenty one ish. I always struggled to talk to anyone, just not in terms of dating, but just making friends in general. And I always felt that why would anyone want to talk to me. I'm not smart, I'm not somewhat interesting. I don't really have any value to offer. So I really had to work on myself in terms of self confidence and stuff. That's when I was when I turned twenty one, I had to work with a therapist who helped me with whom I shared pretty much everything about of my life in terms of the low self esteem phase, confidence and stuff. And that's when she started helping me out rebuilding my low self esteem, rebuilding my confidence and self esteem. Around the same time, I was introduced to this book called Law of Attraction okay, and it kind of talks about how if you believe in something, you are really close to turning that into reality. And that was a really life changing moment to me, coupled with the therapy I was going through, and that's when I really started to, let's say, rebuild my image or my confidence that I have in my own mind. I was the kind of person who I wouldn't respect myself that much.
Speaker 1: Man, jump in, Robbie and ask you a question. Go ahead, because self doubt is the big bad wolf of men who struggle with dating, feeling like they're missing something. They're not valuable, They're not worth something, not tall enough, not good looking enough, not charismatic, not something enough. What was the thing you doubted about yourself?
Speaker 2: That's a really good point you bring now, So pretty much everything, I'll just go into the details. My hide was definitely one of the things I was insecure off. I am about five eight, okay. I in my teen years, I used to have buck teeth, so that's something I really struggled with. I didn't get braces until I was twenty one, okay. Then I was losing hair when I was nineteen. I'm under some medication, so now my hair is in okay condition. But there was a time when I would say I was literally half bald. So I was really with how I looked in the mirror. I wasn't in the best physical condition as well. I wouldn't like what I would see in the mirror.
Speaker 1: Right, okay. And so when your mind is focused on not tall enough, don't have the hair, what do my teeth look like? It's hard to have the confidence to go socialize with people, let alone go approach a beautiful woman.
Speaker 2: Right, exactly, totally agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I didn't want to jump in, but feel like a lot of guys say, Connell, what do you say? What do I say when I approach a woman? And I've got all the best flirty moves in the world. But if they're not if those flirtatious lines aren't coming from a guy who believes in himself and knows he's the shit, how well is it going to work? Right?
Speaker 2: Exactly right. So I was at a position where I didn't have respect for myself in the sense that I wouldn't think I'm deserving of anything. And that's when my my therapist came in to help me, and she would emphasize on the importance of self respect self confidence, and that's when, along with the book I was reading, Lulf Attraction, it kind of changed my viewpoint on myself and I strongly believe if you have a hard time respecting yourself, there's a high chance you're going to struggle respecting someone else as well. Yeah, so that's when I started working on my self confidence. But I still felt there was something missing and that's where mister Condall Barrett came into the picture.
Speaker 1: Well, I coached my younger self, and I saw so much of the younger me when you and I first spoke, because I used to be racked with self doubt. You know my stories better than anybody. But the first night I every went out to approach women first, I had a panic attack in the bathroom because I was so afraid that, Oh, women don't want some nerdy, shy, nice, funny but not sexy, charismatic injury to come talk to them. They want chads and alpha males and cool guys. So I'm literally puking in the bathroom because I was so nervous. That's what that fear. Self doubt basically turns an approach from guy talking to a girl, which is all it is to judgment day on your worth as a man. Right. I remember when you and I first talked, because I do these consultation calls. Anybody can chat with me and tell me what's going on, see if I can help them. And you told me a story that resonated with me. Remind me if you would wasn't there a cashier who you had a crush on where you couldn't talk to her, How did you ask her out or show your interest? Tell that story if you would.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty embarrassing story. But now I find it extremely funny now, and I think this is the embarrassing situations which really sets you free and you can Once you're okay with making a fool out of yourself in this world, that's when you're like free literally do anything I feel. And as much as I was embarrassed back then and now I kind of see it at some form of milestone, probably not the best one, Bud. Yeah, it definitely had an impact in my life.
Speaker 1: So I.
Speaker 2: Remember I was during that time. I was still going through a really rough breakup and I was super depressed, and I would ask myself why didn't my relationship work out? And ride around that time. There's the supermarket close to my house. One day, one evening, I just go there and I find this extremely beautiful cashier and the first thought in my mind, I was like, you know what, I've had a rough breakup, and I think this is a sign from the world. Let me just go and ask her out, okay, And coupled with my depression, my little self esteem, I couldn't even look into her eyes. I was so freak doubt. I just didn't have the courage at all. So I remember I went back not being able to talk to her, beating myself up, and I was like, no, no, I have to come up with a strategy. You have to come up with something to finally ask her out. And I remember I had literally wrote a letter, like traditional old school style. It was I think I still have the letter somewhere so embarrassing. I don't. I try not to look into it that much, but I still have it literally in my desk, which is right next to me right now.
Speaker 1: What do you remember about anything that you wrote to her?
Speaker 2: It was something like the moment I saw you, the beauty everything. I was mesmerized by your looks and I couldn't stop thinking about you. And I want to take this moment to let you know that I am deeply in love with you. All sorts of stuff, all sorts of old school stuff that you can imagine.
Speaker 1: Off to a woman you never talked to, I never talked to. And did you give it and tell us what happened next? Did you give her the note?
Speaker 2: I tried, probably four to five times. I would just go to the store by random bs for no reason, just so that I could talk to this girl. And the only conversation we've had till now is Hi, do you need a back?
Speaker 1: Yeast her and all she knows is paper of plastic pretty much. So did you ever give her the actual note? Or no?
Speaker 2: No, I could never have enough courage to go up to her and tell her that I liked her. And yeah, that's that's that's one of the stories, which I wouldn't call it an unfinished love story or whatever, but I'm kind of glad it happened because that's one of the times which really asked me, like, what's what? What's wrong with me? Why can't I just go to anyone approach someone whom I like? And that's around the same time when I decided that no, I need someone with experience to help me out.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, it's an understandable question, what's wrong with me? Of course? The answer is nothing is wrong with you. There is something a little bit funky with the way your what I call the lower self thinks about himself. Right, what's wrong with me? Oh? Those stories of I'm not my teeth aren't good enough, I'm not tall enough. Why would she want me. That's the problem, not you. It's basically, you are a state of the art computer, but you had Windows ninety seven operating system. Look at me dating myself Windows ninety seven. But I had a similar story way before I ever got my dating life handled. I had a crush on a cute Starbucks barista at the Starbucks on thirty third Street and Park Avenue here in New York City. I wrote her a little love note on my business card at a golf magazine at the time, and I walked up and I gave it to her. But I didn't say a word, and I not literally, but I felt like I ran out of the Starbucks like, here's here's a note and it said, you know, hi, I'm Connell. I've come here all the time, and you're so pretty, and I wondered if you might want to go on to date something like that, And shockingly, I never heard from her, What a what a shock? And heard right here, yeah, And so that's not the kind of communication that's going to get a woman's attention, right. There's nothing wrong with taking a chance. It's how we do it, right. And so you and I started working together, and do you remember the first approach you did while we were talking together. I don't mean that night out, but I know you did some approaching before we went out for a fateful night that you had, which we're going to get to, but tell me about how approaching felt to you at first.
Speaker 2: I still remember the approaches I did before the night out we did. And one of the things I remember, I think I was just walking down somewhere in Fidei, New York, and there's this beautiful lady. I think she was doing some some sort of tech talk video or something, and I was like, you know what, I just want to go up to and compliment her. I don't have to ask her out or anything. And even then I was like struggling with building up my courage and everything. And I remember I went up to her. I couldn't even like lock in my eyes with her eyes, and I remember I was just like, this, huh, you look really pretty. I just wanted to let you know about I just like and I think she she thanked me, but before she couldn't even reply. I just ran away from that.
Speaker 1: From there, I wonder who was running faster, you from her or me from the cute Starbucks for Resa we could have had a tube of two man foot race, but at least you did it. You started right, you took some kind of action, and did you find that it began to get a little bit easier Because every approach typically it gets at least one or two percent easier every time you do it. What was your feeling for the first half dozen or so any breakthrough moments, not counting our night out.
Speaker 2: So when I realize is every approach ends up teaching you something. So from that moment specifically, I realized I wasn't making eye contact. And if I'm not making eye contact, sometimes even a person would be struggling to know if I'm really trying to talk to them. Am I really serious when I'm talking about literally anything? Yeah, maybe there's a chance that that person just might not take me seriously if I'm not making eye contact right.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. One of the biggest mistakes our minds make when we want to approach a one is we look at it as win lose. Either I get her number and she likes me, or I failed and I'm unworthy and I should probably go marry a real doll or become a monk. You know, we look at approaching as win loss, and that's why it feels so high stakes. But you said something great. You looked at it as win learn, Right, Let's learn it. Let's approach and learn a lesson from it. Better eye contact, louder voice, try a different icebreaker. And that's a really smart way to do it, because if we take approaching from a win loss to a win learn, then we stop associating so much pain to it. Sure art associating with Well, no matter what happens, I'm going to get value from this. I'm either going to get a Q girl's number, whichuld be amazing, or at least I'll learn something about myself or grow in some way percent. Okay, so let's talk about an amazing night. It's one of the most incredible nights I've ever seen a client of mine. Have just a planning the background here. I do something about once a month called Fearless Friday, the Night of a hundred Approaches, where a handful of my New York City guys or anybody who's in New York who I'm coaching, we go out for a night and we try to as a group get to one hundred total of approaches. I even brought up bring a little ticker, a little clicker. You might remember that the guy who approaches the girls tonight, I'll be his coach for life. I think that motivated you. So talk about that night, talk about the beginning of the night of what happened that night. Tell us a little story about the night Friday, what happened with you?
Speaker 2: The viewers are in for a ride. It was. It was one of the most awesome yet strange in a good way kind of a day for me. And I remember I had a photoshoot session the same day.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm dating, right, yes, And I.
Speaker 2: Was talking to the photographer friend of mine and she's lovely, she's amazing, and we're just talking about dating in general, the kind of experience she's had, and she asked, someone who's more experienced than me, how would she how does she think about her stuff? And I was sharing my insecurities and stuff with her because she's such a great friend, and she was I remember she was telling me, you know what, don't worry, I'm sure like you're gonna be one of the better looking guys out there today, okay. And I was like, okay, that that helps cut to you. Myself and the other clients actually meeting up.
Speaker 1: In your garden Houston Street, six or seven of us take it from there.
Speaker 2: So literally every guy saw just gave me a new sense of insecurity. Now I'm just keeping it as raw as I can. So so I so somewhere, I was really shitting my pants that day because I've it's it's approaching night, it's it can't be scary, and as it was for me and somewhere, I don't know. I was just trying to justify myself being there. And one of the things I had in my mind was I just tried to be one of the better looking guys that night that far.
Speaker 1: Okay, and for stile, you mean your style or just how you feel my.
Speaker 2: Style, how I look naturally as well. And every guy that came up that day that night I felt was either taller than me, blue eyes, nice looking hair, better looking beard. Yeah, I remember.
Speaker 1: Taylor early, Remember Taylor. I think Taylor looks like Bradley Cooper. I agree, I'm the straight dude. I'm kind of into him. Let me we're going on tomorrow night. I hope we'll make out anyway, Go ahead, What are you saying?
Speaker 2: So I was I think there was like some I think six or seven of us, right, yeah. And there was a time when I was like, I have to be I hope I'm just better looking ban I shouldn't think like this way, but I'm just keeping it as wrong as I can. And I was like, I hope I can just be taller than one single guy out there, be better looking than one single guy out there. And I was I was literally shitting my pants every time someone knew would come up and I'm like, no, there's no way I'm doing anything tonight.
Speaker 1: And then Ryan Gosling came up and joined us, and you were like, Connell, come on, man, you're killing me.
Speaker 2: That was literally my reaction.
Speaker 1: That's great, You're tuning into something important because what we do when we go out to a bar to approach girls, we look around the room and we try to make sense of where do I fit in the the what's the word like the status of this bar? How confident can I be? Am I better looking than him? Am I taller than him? And that is what the lower self, that voice of self doubt does. It fucks with us. It is like pouring poison into our ears. And don't we don't want to fight it. You just want to be aware of it. It's like, there's this concept in zen Buddhism called watching the thinker. Eckart comes from Eckart Tole. I think it originates with zen Buddhism. You watch the thoughts, but you don't get sucked into them. You're like, oh, I'm noticing how tall and attractive all these other guys are interesting, as opposed to going, oh man, I'm just not attractive and as cool as all these other people. And then that hurts your emotions and confidence, and then you don't approach anybody. So, okay, you had your pre approach kind of nerves or moment of I'm not good looking enough. By the way, you are measurably twenty seven times handsomer than I am, I can say, and you actually have muscles. I'm like, but okay, so you're in your head, you're comparing yourself to all these other guys, and then it's the moment of truth. I say, all right, guys, Night of one hundred approaches Fearless Friday. It starts now, and then it was time for everybody to start approaching. I did a quick approach, just talk to a couple of girls, nearby. Nothing amazing happened. My girlfriend is with us, right, I remember weird I'm approaching girls with my girlfriend there, but she's cool with it, she understands. And then I got a couple approaches down. Then I'm like, okay, guys, now it's your turn. Do you remember what happened next with you and me?
Speaker 2: I one hundred percent remember go on, And I'm not sure if you recall the same event, but I'm just gonna say it. I don't know if you remember my first approach up that night.
Speaker 1: I think I do, but you tell.
Speaker 2: Me, and I mean, speaking an assumption. I think that was probably one of the more embarrassing situations, just probably embarrassing only to me. But what happened I remember was there was this group of girls, probably five or six of them, and they were like dancing to some song. They were like, really vibe. I remember you coming up to me and you're like, so you're going to make your next move now? And I was like, yes, I see a group of girls and I think I'm gonna go talk to them, and you're like, that's what I mean, that's right to make a move. I tried my best to build up all the courage, and I remember I'm walking past them, and I lose all my confidence, all my courage. I didn't make any eye contact, and I just said randomly, hey, girls, I really love the way you guys were dancing. And no one looked at me except one girl. Even when she looked at me, she probably was thinking like, who the hell is this guy? Yeah, and I was so embarrassed. I just kept walking. I just kept walking straight, acting like, oh, I have something important to do. Someone's calling me, so I'm just gonna pick up this phone call on that side. But in truth, nothing like that happened. They just completely ignored me, I felt, or maybe I just didn't approach the right way.
Speaker 1: Was either stay that way there watching okay, we're there, so that I did notice, you do that right? Remember what happened right before? Remember the deal I made. I told the guys the headlock approach or headlocks. Hold on, my cat is about to knockleck hold on, Oh say hi to YouTube. This is this is Reggie. This is my little Katie, my little ginger boy. Anyway, Okay, I don't want him knock this guitar over behind me. So as I recall, I make a deal with my clients. We go out to approach girls, I say, all you got to do tonight is take action, and you and I are going to be good. But if you don't take action, if you don't approach a girl when I want you to, I'll put you in a headlock and I will walk over to you with you under my arm, and I will say to these ladies, excuse me. My friend, my buddy Robbie here wanted to approach you, but he was too big of a pussy. Say hi, Robbie. So it's either approach like a man or get a headlock approach. I think you knew that, and you just said, okay, it's time to start talking to women exactly. I remember, Oh go ahead, I'll shut up.
Speaker 2: I remember once I kept like walking straight and I was acting like I was on the phone with someone. You came up to your lefe.
Speaker 1: And I was like ending to call.
Speaker 2: Right, I was. I was so nervous at that point, but yeah, I just didn't want to cut you off.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a great lesson because the first approach of the night is always the hardest. You're in your head, you're not in the zone you've been thinking about all this stuff, but I remember you doing maybe one or two more approaches, and then all of a sudden, I saw you talking to two women who were seated at a bench, and your body language looked different. You just looked really chill and relaxed. Tell us about the second and third approaches and specifically what started to happen about how you felt?
Speaker 2: Great question, and just to give you some a bit of context. I think it was Taylor or someone else who approached those two girls already, okay, And I remember to myself, I was like, Taylor, such an amazing, such a good looking guy, and he'll already approached it. I don't I don't remember him getting the number. So I was like, there's no way I'm gonna get their number by any means. But you know what, I'll just shoot my shot. What's I mean, what can really go wrong?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I went up to them, and in my mind I was like, instead of telling them straight up that hey, you look really beautiful, emuntry number or something, let me just start the conversation a slightly different way. So I went up to them and I was like, Ladies, on a scale of one to ten, what do you think of my outfit, and I remember them taking my time literally scanning top to bottom, and they they tell I think I remember remember, I think they told me they gave me a seven out of.
Speaker 1: Ten, not bad.
Speaker 2: That's also another conversation opener. So I was like, why seven? Why not ten? What can I fix? Why don't you guys like it? You guys are just haters, Betford. So they they were really genuine or at least nice enough with their explanation, and they were telling me you could have add this your outfit, this or that. But it was a really good conversation opener. And we were chatting for like a good five minutes about it, my outfit, their outfits. Then something came in my mind and I was like, you know what if I guess your ethnic background in the next three attempts, they're gonna give me your number.
Speaker 1: I didn't know this story. You became a game show.
Speaker 2: I literally was.
Speaker 1: I really was the ethnicity. I'm your host, Robbie. So what happened next?
Speaker 2: And guess what? I failed even on my fifth attempt, and I think I passed probably on my seventh or eighth. And I remember then they were like, you know what I want to guess you're athnicity now, And they also took probably like five or six attempts, but they were right. And it was a funny game, I remember, And we talked for a good ten to twelve minutes, and I kind of felt the conversation wasn't really going anywhere and I failed anyway, so I just told him, you know what, it was lovely talking to you guys, so I'll just do for you.
Speaker 1: Did so many things well there, I the opener was great. I've never seen Hey, can I get your opinion on my style? Opener? Get rejected? I don't think I've ever seen that in all my years coaching men with approaching. That's a great go to opener. Hey excuse me, but I like years better, not just what do you think of my outfit scale of one to ten? That makes her think And a great approach strategy is make her an expert. We all like to be right. You're a tech guy, right, I was gonna ask you tech questions or finance tech questions. You probably feel like, oh, connall, let me tell you what women love being asked what they think of a man's style. So great job, and then you turned it into a guess are ethnicity game, which is very playful because approaching dating, so much of it is about playfulness. That playful vibe is what women like.
Speaker 2: And guess what. It doesn't end there go on right as when I was trying to leave, she stopped me and she said, so you're just gonna leave without asking me for a number, And I was like, now we're talking. And then she was telling me how she really appreciated and she found it really brave that I came up to her and talked to her, and I was like, this is lovely. Just ten minutes ago, I was living inside my head. I was like, this is the end of the world. No one's gonna talk to me. I'm done this amazing This good looking guy, Taylor, he went up to them and I don't want to ex word rejected, but maybe he was, which is not a big deal. But I was like, if he gets rejected, there's no way I would ever get their number. And here I am. They are telling me how attractive they find me. They are telling me how brave of stuff that I'm doing. And I ended up with a number. Yeah, and she takes my phone. She also puts her name on it and then she also puts the name of the bar in it, and she also says something I forgot the exact line, but she made that assumption that I probably got a lot of curls. I probably do this all the time, and I'm like really popular out there or something.
Speaker 1: But are you saying that You're trying to make sure you remember which babe from your bevy of babes she is exactly. Oh that's so funny. The Houston bar Pink. You know, you remember me right what it's done.
Speaker 2: And then I remember I hugged her, and then I came up to you guys and I was like, got her number, and you guys all are like cheering for me. It was. It was lovely.
Speaker 1: I love that story because she told you something powerful. Women like a guy to come approach. It shows bravery. It shows this guy's got options. But he's talking to me. Think about the signals that sense. The very act of approaching a woman tells her this guy's worthy of me. And boy, did you find that out?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean I still I was still remembering the incident from time to time. But guess what, that was only the beginning of that.
Speaker 1: Night, right exactly, So that was your first number at Houston Hall. That's where we were, right. Did you get any more numbers there?
Speaker 2: I think I got a couple or three more.
Speaker 1: At Houston Hall. Yes, So yeah, so you're crushing it. I'm with my girlfriend, I'm helping other guys who are not taking nearly as much action as you. That's okay. You were just in the zone. And how are you feeling at that point after two or three numbers? How are you feeling about yourself?
Speaker 2: So I still remember that moment. I think right before I made my first approach, I was constantly thinking should I drink something before I go approach or that it kind of like calms me down a little bit. And then something just told me, you know what, No, you got to phase the fear. And at that point after that successful approach, I was thanking myself for not drinking or being under the influence of alcohol. And I was like, you know what this feels. I think this achievement feels way better than compared to if I was under the influence of any fornt of alcohol. Yeah, and I had this high where I was like I was on the top of the world. I could achieve anything. The book the Law of attraction. Everything is like my manifestation is coming into reality. That's what I was feeling like.
Speaker 1: Well, that identity that you named yourself. When we first spoke supremely confident, Robbie, you could feel that supreme confidence rise right. And then we switched venues. We went to a different place, a place called the Broken Shaker, and that was really when I saw you floating. You were like two feet off the rooftop there. You were just kind of floating around the bar, walking up to different women. There was such an assumption that this was going to go well. There was even a moment when it was Jess, my girlfriend, myself and my personal trainer Zach came with us and a couple other clients. I said, everybody, watch Robbie. Look at him. This is what higher self in the zone looks like. And you approached. I think, I eve it was the only time I told you to approach again, and you did it fearlessly. But I said, dude, look at those two women over there, and you just said, oh, I'll be right back, and went over to the two dimes of the rooftop. Other than my girlfriend, of course, the two dimes, and then they were I don't know what happened, but they were just like hi, and they loved you. And I don't know what happened there, but and what were you? What was your highlight moment from the second spot.
Speaker 2: So I think the first approach it went for I think I talked to the ladies for a good twenty to thirty minutes. That was That was really fun. I remember it was probably a group of three or four people, and I remember I think it was you, just myself and a couple of other guys, and I was telling you that, yeah, I'm kind of like scanning through an entire bar, like whom to approach next? And You're like, why did you start with them? And I was like, you know what, I will nice. I used the same opening line again, high ladies, I don't want to waste your time. I don't know if I should have said that, but I did just wantally let you know and right to the point. And I still one to ten, what do you think of my outfit? And I remember all three or four of them walking on me and they were like scanning top to bottom. And the girl that I really liked.
Speaker 1: Was in the middle.
Speaker 2: She was like, why didn't you give us a spin, and I remember lending my hand to her and I'm like, why don't you spin yourself? Spin me yourself? And she like spinned me three sixty. She was like I could tell her body language or like all the girls there, they were finding extremely funny. And I remember she gave me some really good compliments. She also told me I think it was another like a seven, seven and a half out of ten. I was asking her, why what am I? What did I do wrong? How can I improve? And she was giving me some real good advice, actually, some advices that I still followed to the state.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Think about the guy you described earlier, the guy who couldn't even give a love note to the grocery store the cute grocery store cashier is at two venues grabbing what five six phone numbers that night? Amazing?
Speaker 2: I think around that six or seven is sh.
Speaker 1: Or seven phone numbers from cold approaching And how many did you get any mean rejections the whole night or likes get away?
Speaker 2: No? Not really.
Speaker 1: So you went from being that in your head guy who wouldn't even give that love note to the cashier to the guy who was grabbing six or seven phone numbers and just totally in the zone. If you could go, if you could give a piece of advice to the guy watching and listen or listening to this and say, here's what you need to do or say to have his breakthrough night out approaching What advice would you give based on what you experienced that night and beyond.
Speaker 2: The first thing I would recommend is to be comfortable in their own skin. Anyone who is going to ask out any girl you know you can cut that part. I don't know what else? What do you again? So great question, and the way I'm going to answer this is this in my priority list, the number one thing is going to be self confidence oka and being comfortable in your own skin, because if you're not as self if you're not that confident in your own skin somewhere, you're going to feel that you're not deserving. And if you're not, if you don't feel that you're deserving, you're never going to go and ask that girl out right somewhere. You have to think of yourself highly, and you have to think yourself in the sense that you have a lot of value chadded to this world. You have a lot of value to add to the person you're going to approach to their.
Speaker 1: Life exactly, and how do we do that? Every guy's got to find his own way. But I suggest to the listener, when you go out, tell yourself three things about yourself that you know makes you a really great catch, whatever it is, and make them specific. You know, in your case, it might be I have a good job, I'm really good style, and you're a great personal great sense of humor, great, great personality, whatever it is. It gives you a little bit of oomph because what this does is this takes your brain away from all that why am I not as good looking as him? You're just going to drag your confidence down. It makes you say, hey, what do I know? I offer? Bottom line is women aren't looking at you and saying why aren't you as good looking as that guy over there? Yeah, women are looking at you saying, okay, do you believe in yourself or not? And that's pretty much all they're waiting for. Makes sense to.
Speaker 2: That point, it kind of reminded me of one other story that happened in that same approach. Okay, so as I was talking to all the girls, I think one of our your friends also try to join us. And I forgot the gentleman's name, but I remember this tall guy, blue eyes, really good hair, and I was like, there goes my chance. Now all the girls are going to talk to him, they're going to forget about me. He comes into the picture with the girl that I was interested in. She just looked at him once and then she still maintained eye contact with me. She just didn't care. She was so fascinated by me and the questions I was asking and my wit. So just for anyone who's thinking if they're not good looking, they're not enough, I mean, this is a great example.
Speaker 1: That's a great moment of looks overrated. Nice to have. If you're good looking, that's great. Good on you. But you don't have to look like Brad Pitt. You know, if you look like Brad Garrett, you can still get somewhere as long as you believe in yourself. Here's why every beautiful attractive woman has beautiful attractive male friends. Gay friends often, and these women aren't necessarily attracted to good looks. They're attracted to our presence, our personality, our ability to play, flirt, have fun with them, and more than anything, that core sense of your worth, that core confidence that comes from understanding your authentic value. So take it from a middle aged man who's you know, I look like the lead singer from Weezer. I don't look like some male model. And back when I was single, I dated the most incredible women. They weren't hooking up with me because of my one pack abs. They liked my personality, they liked who I was, And the same goes for you. So yeah, good looks overrated can only.
Speaker 2: Go so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's nice if you have it, but overrated? Are there any look? I know you're in a relationship. Now, can you share how you met your girlfriend? Did you meet her out in the real world? Was it an approach, was it a social circle? How did you connect with your now girlfriend?
Speaker 2: So I'm glad you bring that up. And yeah, it's a pretty beautiful story. And she's she's she's amazing. And I met her through a friend. Basically, I have this group of friends that we're going to go for like a random dinner one night, and she's basically a friend's friend, and she happened to come out the same night as well. And I remember, I think the first time we met, she was a bit intimidated by me. That's what she tells me. And it has more to do with According to her, I was so confident and I was there dictating the entire conversation, and she said, this is what she tells me now. But back then she would tell me like she was really intimidated by me, this and that. But now she tells me that she actually had a crush on me, But she wasn't willing to tell me at that time that she did. And that's something I've noticed with a lot of girls. They wouldn't they. They wouldn't want to tell you straight up that they have a crush on you. They have their own way off delivering letting you know at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're more subtle, aren't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Women like to communicate, and more so always drop hints. Most women aren't very direct. Some are, but not too many, true, not too many. And so for the guy who is thinking, Okay, I want to go out and I want to get a couple of phone numbers, maybe five or six or seven, but at least one or two. For a guy who wants to approach but he's afraid, or here's the thing I hear more than anything else Robbie, I don't know what to say. What do I say to that woman? What is your answer? What is your advice for the guy who is like, help us, Robbie? What do I say?
Speaker 2: That's that's a good one, and I this is just my opinion, and that is just try not to sound too artificial for lack of better words. Try to be authentic and try to like use a topic that you can talk on for minutes or hours. For me, I love fashion, I love nice clues. So that's why when I said or used the line what do you think of my outfit? On a scle of one to ten, I knew exactly what I was talking about. I knew my stuff, and depending on whatever respond stay what have I always knew a follow up question or things to add to it. So being authentic and probably picking a topic you'll love to talk about, I think it's probably one of the ways to go. But at the same time, you get to understand that not everyone's gonna vibe with you or vibe with the things that you love all the time. And that's that's how it is. We are all individuals, all have our unique abilities or unique likings and everything. And if you approach ten girls, probably five with five of them we're not even going to vibe with. And it's fine, just you're and I think it's it's for the better. If you're not vibing with the person, might be with the person, be with someone that you have shared interests, swip.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you're not supposed to attract all of them. It's cold approaching. It's it's like baseball. The best Major league players in the world fail to get a base hit seven out of ten times, if they'd get there three out of ten times, and they do that for twenty straight years, run the Hall of Fame. They're supposed to fail seventy percent of the time. And with approaching, that's actually a pretty close to good batting average once you get, once you get in the zone, Like that night on that Fearless Friday, you got six or seven numbers. Do you remember about how many women you talked to?
Speaker 2: I remember it was around the around twenty five ish or something.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: And I think I was lucky enough to get dab many numbers, because I would have been happy even if I got a couple of numbers out of the twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So yeah, six or seven out of twenty five, So I'm bad at math. But you know what, one in one and.
Speaker 2: Three four, then yeah, it's kind of like three percent or something. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I talk about this in my book The Rule of one and four. My old coaches called the rule of one and three. I think one in four is closer to accurate. One in four. When you are approaching, you get into a good zone and you're being really genuine, and you know how to flirt, know what to say within reason, but you just are in touch with that core worth. At a place like a bar, about one in four women will be pretty darn attracted to you, and that gives you permission to not have three out of four be into you. You're allowed to not have them into you. We almost want to be so polarizingly, authentically raw and real that we're super attractive to women who like Connell's type, Robbie's type, and then women who don't. That's cool. It only takes one to change your life as your girlfriend. It only takes a couple of phone numbers to get into a really good zone.
Speaker 2: Exactly the other thing. Oh sorry, go ahead, bro, Yeah, I was going to say that as long as you're putting in the reps you're eventually are going to get someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, you put in reps long before that night that were paid off that night exactly planted seeds that sprouted, and the other thing you did that night. I didn't even realize it until this conversation, but it sounds like you had like that back pocket opener you were using, right, the style one, and that came out of an organic expression of what you were what was on your mind that day. Right, you were getting new clothes with my stylist Rihanne. You were looking good or wanting to know what women thought of your new outfit.
Speaker 2: Right. I think one of the things that helped me was Rhann. She was really like complimenting my clothes that I would like to think she really liked my passion and someone that that really helped me out in terms of with my confidence. And this is what I've realized, if you can start off your day with just like one or two good compliments, it really sets up your day in a good way. Right, So that that's what it kind of did for me. And I remember after the first couple approaches when it went wrong, I was like, Okay, what is The one thing that happened to me was good. And I was thinking back to the time when Ryan and she was giving me compliments about my clothing, and I was like, you know what, let me make something out of that and use that as my opening line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. I like how you were using what was in the ether. It was it was just on your mind. And a lot of guys think, oh, I need to say the right thing, I need to say the perfect thing. Well, why don't you just share something that's on your mind right then and there, which is, Hey, ladies, what do you think of my new outfit scale of one to ten? Oh my god, you could do that all night long. And I like that you had a back pocket opener, And that's another thing that helps. If you have a like break glass for approach opener in your back pocket, you'll have that to lean on if you need it. But then you probably won't even need it that much because you have it, so you can just be in the present moment. You know, women don't want to be approached by a robotic guy. Hey, ladies, have you ever walked up to a man? You know, that's just that gets in the way. I was at the same venue we went to on a different night, and Jess was with me and I left her to go work with another client, and this guy approached Jess very very pretty blonde girlfriend, and he came up and said, Hey, I'm I'm on a pirate treasure hunt. Will you help me find my lost treasure? And it was just like clearly something he had read on a credit for him or somebody told him to say. And she looked at him and said, oh, sweetie, here's my boyfriend's business card.
Speaker 2: I mean she is bad as.
Speaker 1: She's an amazing wing woman. Okay, so you have gone from Robbie the guy who could not give the cashier a little I like you note, to the guy who's grabbing six seven phone numbers at a couple of different venues, the lord of the club. What is your parting dating advice that the guy watching or listening to this, What should he go out and do in the next week to get him on the path to approaching success?
Speaker 2: Great question, And now I'd have to go back to one of the same points that I mentioned, back to self imaging in confidence again. Once that is in place, I'm kind of think what else can of person to I would say. Fashion can also be a great point if you're well put together, no one. I mean, let me put it this way. If let's say you're not well put together, there's a high chance girls wouldn't want to talk to you, versus if you are. Even if you're not the best looking, you still look presentable and girls love that.
Speaker 1: Right, there's a pull I mentioned in my book. Women were asked what are the five most attractive traits in a man who you meet for the first time in a dating context and looks good looking? Was not in the top five. Number two was looking good meaning style. I think that was a men's health survey of women. Second most important thing women notices is this guy's style relatively well put together, you know, hair, grooming, clothes. So that's partially probably why you got into such a good zone that night. As you look to it, you saw women respond to it. And yeah, try not to dress like you know, don't walk around vaping in sweatpants and flip flops. That's not going to help you. That's a little too authentic.
Speaker 2: And I wasn't in any fancy clothes or shoots for something. I think I had like a pretty basic black top sports and I'm like, sneatz, that's it, and I was still getting I think none of the girls gave me a rating less than seven out of ten that night. Okay, so it's like you don't have to like and.
Speaker 1: Women will be blunt. Women will tell you if you're like, ah four.
Speaker 2: I remember. I think the last approach I did pray left. I don't think, I mean, I don't think they were necessarily being rude to me, but I think like some of them were like jokingly making fun of me. Yea, I would give you a two, and then like they just left, like they had a smile on their face and they were just like trying to be witty with me or something from what I remember, But yeah, that's something I agree with you. They were blunt. If they have something in their mind, they're going to let you know.
Speaker 1: To me, approaching is such a powerful thing to be able to do because we live in a world where everybody's on the apps, everybody's on social media. But when you can walk up to women and be yourself and say, hey, what's up. I'm Robbie, I want to meet you. What do you think of my style? You don't have to you you don't have to be stuck on the dating apps. The world becomes your dating app app. You know, you got six or seven numbers that one Friday night out. It's hard to get six or seven numbers on a dating app. You did it just by walking up to women, and so few men do it. And I think now is the best time to approach women ever because guys just don't do it. And that when that woman said to you, that was really brave. I'm glad you came up to me. Man, that set a mouthful.
Speaker 2: Great And the competition especially is so low compared to I'm assuming what it was probably twenty years ago now right, because pretty much every other guy is probably going with some form off or like a high level of anxiety, so it's like there's no one approaching at all. So it's for you. The only thing you need to do is to just go and talk to the person you want you want to talk to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say the number of single men who approach women would be at most four or five percent, even semi regularly. And most of those guys need liquid courage or some canned pick up line like the looking I'm a pirate looking for my charger thing the number of men who walk up vulnerably as their real, authentic selves and just shoot their shot one percent at most, So you are in the one percent club. Welcome to the club. Not that anyway. Thank you so much for joining me today, Robbie, and thanks for being such an amazing client. And yeah, by the way, you listening, if you would like to go out and meet women out with me and approach or maybe not with me, but if you're in New York City, we could do it together. If you want to go out and get five, six, seven phone numbers in one night, I can't promise that, but if Robbie can do it, you probably can do it too. And just go to my website, Dating transformation dot com. You can book a free consultation to find out how my coaching works and if I'm the right coach for you, or if you want to hire a coach to teach you how to write a creepy little love note to a Starbucks barista and creep her out, I can. I can do that for you too for free. Anyway, go tot dating transformation dot com and Robbie, thanks for joining us, and thank you for talking to you. Next time all right, Audio asolutely h