Speaker 1: This is Dan Caplis and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download, and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform. Se Yeah, we want a whole lot of that justice. I don't think Mayor Mike Johnston does three O.
Speaker 2: Three seven one three eight two five five the number text d A N five seven seven three nine And no matter where you live in America, let alone Colorado, this story about Mayor Mike Johnston is extraordinarily important and revealing because what just happened is the mayor of Denver who voluntarily accepted an invitation to appear before a House committee and talk about, you know, Denver's sanctuary city status. And I believe clearly Denver my opinion is the sanctuary city. He denies it. But that's what the hearings all about. Now it's been revealed, I'll play the story for you. Part of the story that Johnston now is going to spend two million dollars at least of Denver taxpayer money on a high powered Washington d C. Lawyer to counsel him before this hearing. Well, let's listen to the story. And by the way, as you listen to the story, keep this in mind. According to the Denver Right, the city is to be represented by Dana Remas. Now, Dana remis, according to what I've read since his story, Broke is former White House counsel to Joe Biden. She's Michelle Obama's former attorney. So when Diamond Mike, when Diamond Mike wants a lawyer, he goes first class, right, I mean, with your money thousand bucks an hour.
Speaker 3: Fire up that story, please, Ryan.
Speaker 4: The city of Denver is bracing for a fight in Washington, and to prepare, the mayor City council approved a two million dollar contract with an elite law firm, Colvington and Burling, LLP. Says they will perform services for the city at a discounted rate of one thousand dollars per hour, including preparation in advance of the hearing and initial work related to document and review. March fifth, Mayor Mike Johnston is being asked to go to DC to defend Denver's immigration policies by the US House Committee on Government Reform. City policies that were adopted back in twenty sixteen under then Mayor Michael Hancock. Council members approved the funding in a block vote along with other bills last night. The only council member to comment was Sarah Parity. She spoke about the possible need to expand support of the Denver Immigrant Legal Services Fund really.
Speaker 5: For reasons that are at their heart similar to why we're approving this legal bill for this DC law firm today, which is that we're going to continue to defend our entirely legal local policies, not to do the dirty work of deportation for the federal government, and not to ignore the overarching international human rights law that says that when people are fleeing really of bysmal circumstances, they have a right to claim asylum.
Speaker 4: Part of the contract between the law firm and the city states quote, the parties mutually agree that investigative activity is likely to continue following this hearing, and that City Council may be asked to approve war funding beyond the two million dollars already.
Speaker 2: Approvedad question, there wait a second, So they're trying to peddle this.
Speaker 3: The City's trying to pedal.
Speaker 2: This to us as two million dollars of DC attorney time to prepare Mike Johnston for this hearing.
Speaker 3: When's this hearing in two years?
Speaker 2: I thought it was March fifth. I mean, let me look at my calendar and do a little math here. So they think people are stupid enough to accept that it's two million dollars, which is what two thousand hours of attorney time between in the next.
Speaker 3: Couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Give me a break, right, I mean here, I'll give Mike Johnston the best advice he can get, and I'll give it for free right now. Rather than spend two million dollars of precious Denver taxpayer money, two million dollars that could go to nine to one one so that when people call they don't get a recording, save that two million dollars. Here's the advice. Don't go to the hearing. You're not under subpoena. The hearing's optional. Why is Mike Johnston even going to this hearing?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So, you're gonna spend two million dollars at Denver taxpayer money so that he can go to a hearing he doesn't have to go to. Now, Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to it. I had Congressman gave Evans on he's on the committee or no, he's he's being allowed to drop into the committee. Congressman Bobert's on the committee. I can't wait for this questioning. But don't fall for a second for this idea that they're spending two million dollars of Denver taxpayer money to prepare him for this hearing. No, they're spending two million dollars as a starter because he must believe he is in crimin old jeopardy. That's why they're spending the money. In my opinion, I don't know if he committed a crime or not. I don't know if he's in the course of committing crimes. And when I talk about that, I'm narrowing this obviously to immigration law related crimes. I don't have any reason to believe he's committed any other crimes, and I don't know whether he's committed these crimes. All I'm saying is he must be concerned that he may have to be taking this step spending millions in Denver taxpayer money to bring in Joe Biden's former attorney to prepare him for this hearing. And I put that in quotes because I believe he's really bringing them in to help protect him against criminal exposure.
Speaker 3: So wow, And I know.
Speaker 2: What you may be thinking, which would be right, which is, Hey, you think Mike Johnston cares about two million or five or ten million of Denver taxpayer money. No, I don't think he does. But I do think he cares about these kind of headlines. And I think he cares about the political fallout of this, because, as I've been saying for a long time, I absolutely believe he's been running for governor since before he was running for mayor, while he was running for mayor, while he's serving for mayor, So he knows stories like this are not good for him. So I don't think he goes there. I don't think he takes two million dollars of Denver taxpayer money to hire Joe Biden's lawyer to advise him, unless he thinks he has some real exposure, And we'll find out together whether he does or not. But Ryan, I think this is an extraordinarily important story. Yes, and they talk about I mean in the agreement right that there's more likely to come, which I think just confirms this money has very little to do with the hearing and it has to do with the bigger issue of is he criminally exposed?
Speaker 6: It has to be that, Dan, because you look, you try to unpack this right as to why would he need two million dollars of this level of legal preparation for testimony before Congress? As the story points out, that's voluntary, it's optional. He was not subpoena to testify a m I get to that step, but it hasn't yet. So you have to connect those dots like you just did, Dan, Like, Okay, what explains this? Why did they have to go to defcon one here with the legal representation?
Speaker 7: Your explanation is the only one that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and think about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, we talk about the two million bucks because that's sexy, but we should be talking about the two thousand hours because lawyers this good, and this is a very good law firm, and a lawyer this good, you know, Joe Biden's former White House counsel, Michelle Obama's former lawyer. Lawyers this good don't need two thousand hours to figure out whether Mike Johnston has violated the law or not. They probably already know that. So when you're talking about two thousand hours, I think it has.
Speaker 3: Very little to do with this hearing.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they'll do some prep for the hearing, but prep along the lines of, hey, if you have criminal exposure, here's what you need to be real careful about in this hearing.
Speaker 3: But no, I think this is all about all about.
Speaker 2: A concern that he has criminal exposure and expecting expecting this administration to take action.
Speaker 3: That That's what this signals to me.
Speaker 2: Three or three someone three eight two five five text d An five seven seven three nine. Again, I don't know if he's committed a crime or not. All I can say is he must be worried that he has. Yeah, let's go to Adam and Severance. Here on the Dan Kaplis show.
Speaker 3: Welcome.
Speaker 8: Hey Dan, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: I am living the dream, my friend. How about you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 8: Just the same. I got to say, though, I'm glad I live in Severance, but still just hearing about this Mike Johnson thing is just insane. I was looking at your numbers, and that's eighty three days of straight working around the clock for that lawyer, and then on top of that break that down to an eight hour day. That's two hundred and fifty days worth of work, and then to the whole safety of Benburg. That place is a is a absolute death trapping mark. The average salary for a starting officer is eighty thousand dollars a year. That pays for twenty five new officers on the streets making sure people will get their next cut on sixteenth Street the mall.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, very interesting and thank you for making the important point about the number of hours for this attorney. I think the way a great firm quote.
Speaker 6: It seems like we lost Dan there just a moment. He is remote today and we're warned about this. Ryan shiling with you. We'll take a quick time out, we'll come back with Dan. It's a good time for a break here in the Dan Campus Show.
Speaker 7: And now back to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 4: The city of Denver is bracing for a fight in Washington, and to prepare, the mayor City Council approved a two million dollar contract with an elite law firm, Colvington and Burling, LLP. Says they will perform services for the city at a discounted rate of one thousand dollars per hour, including preparation and advance of the hearing.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 2: Thank you, ran I think this is one of the most important and revealing stories in a long time in Colorado, and it is important to people all over the country, but certainly in our state because what this tells me, my constitutionally protected opinion, is that this two thousand hours of.
Speaker 3: High powered attorney time.
Speaker 2: According to the Denver Right, the lawyer Mike Johnson hired with your money if you live in Denver.
Speaker 3: The lawyer they hired is Joe.
Speaker 2: Biden's former White House counsel, Dana Remus, who was also Michelle Obama's lawyer. Now, we got a lot of great lawyers, a lot of great criminal lawyers, a lot of great government lawyers in Denver, but he has to go to Joe Biden's former White House council. What kind of trouble do you think he's in. I mean, I'm not saying he's violated any laws. I don't know if he has or not. But when you go beyond Denver, with all the political fallout of story like this causes, and you hire a high powered lawyer like that, you know the message to people is going to be you think you're in big trouble. And anybody thinks these two thousand hours are for this hearing, please think again. I'm sure there will be hearing prep. But I think this is about a much bigger concern that Lawless Mike, as I branded him a long time ago, has, And that's based on not a conclusion he's committed crimes, but him coming out and saying that, oh yeah, use Denver police to stop federal law enforcement at the county line and wanting people in the streets like Tieneman Square against our own brothers and sisters, our own federal law enforcement. That's why I label him lawless Mike. But now that he's spending two million to start of taxpayer money on a high powered lawyer for him, maybe he thinks there are other lawlessness issues out there now. Adam had called just before the breaking, sorry for that technical glitch, Ryan, Is it snowing down there yet? Yeah, I just started pretty much because I'm in my trial prep cabin up the mountains and it's snowing like a bear up here right now, and so we had a little technical glitch there. We may have another one or two before the end of the show, hopefully not. But Adam, thank you for staying and you had this good point you were making before the break you were saying, Hey, this former White House Council, that would be X number of days of her time.
Speaker 3: My belief, Adam, is.
Speaker 2: That there will likely be a very big team of high powered attorneys working on this, led by that one attorney. So yeah, you you may have three five lawyers all working round the clock between now and the hearing try to prepare Diamond Mike. But then the question is sure why. I mean, it's a hearing that's optional. He's not subpointed. A friend of mine, Steve, texted and said, yeah, you know, he wants the National Spade Stage, National spotlight, and Denver taxpayers can put the bill to get him prepared. And I have no doubt he wants that, and he knows he can manipulate that forum because there's no real chance to pin him down in that kind of forum.
Speaker 8: Well, and I think you hit the nail on the head. He thinks there's something else going on there, and the fact that he's going to go for that kind of money that says everything I need to know about it in my personal, humble opinion. But more so, I just want to point out that he's going and wasting that kind of the Denver people's money when the streets.
Speaker 3: Are so dangerous.
Speaker 8: There there's yeah, rampant homelessness, there's people being murdered on sixties Street Mall. I won't bring my children down there, let alone my wife. And here he is dumping millions of dollars into something that seems frankly frivolous.
Speaker 3: Well, Adam, thank you for your call and for your points.
Speaker 2: As I've talked about in many different context on this show, I think the evidence is overwhelming that Mike Johnston just doesn't care that much about most people in Denver. He cares about Mike Johnston. And so I think we've seen that on display. I mean, one of the most recent examples, after the horrific spree stabbings on the mall, including the flight attendant having her throat slit and dying in our street, he goes down to almost the very spot where those bodies dropped to essentially declare victory the next night and talk about how much safer Denver is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Mike Johnston, I think, is concerned about Mike Johnston, and he'll spend as much of your money as he has to on the very best lawyer he can find, Joe Biden's former lawyer, to make sure that if he has criminal exposure, he's protect eight five five. Where's your five d A two five five text d An five seven seven three nine.
Speaker 3: Hey, let's go to Brian and Arvada. You're on the Dane Kaplis Show.
Speaker 8: Hey, Dan, how's it going tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm living the dream, my friend. How about you?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm gonna come at a different angle. This is just a last attempt for their You know, we know there's been laundering money. Okay, everybody in government. Mike Johnson's doing it. Come on, two million dollars for lawyers. Come on, he's getting a kickback. It's you know, they're all sucking at the Trump because they know they know what's going to dry up pretty soon. It has nothing to do with he needs protection, this, that, and the other. It's him taking care of his buddies, and that's what we're all sick of.
Speaker 2: Let me understand the accusation you're making, because I don't agree with it. Your accusation is that he is paying this money to the law firm so he can personally get a kickback of some of that money.
Speaker 3: Because I don't believe that.
Speaker 8: There's two million dollar dollars to go. Dan, We got to think about this logically.
Speaker 9: Okay, we know.
Speaker 8: What they've been doing. I mean we see doeys, you know, And this is the best argument you could ever have for having nothing but a consumer tax. We're all getting scammed. They got a book that's like the Harry Potter series, that's your tax code, and they expect you to comply to them. But yet they're supposed to represent us, that we're supposed to be their boss. A scam just keeps going and going. Brian's got interrupt as much money as they can.
Speaker 3: Don't mean to be rude.
Speaker 2: Got interrupt for one second because you're just one hundred percent wrong when you say that the play here is for Johnston to get some of this two million back. Zero chance of that that there's no corruption here. The law firm is not funneling money back.
Speaker 3: To Johns Democrat.
Speaker 8: They're Democrat lawyers. They're looking for cash. They know that he's going to draw up my brother wandering scheme.
Speaker 2: Briant, you're so full of crap. No, I put him on pause for a second. Okay, he is so full of crap on this, and I enjoy his calls. He doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. These lawyers. This law firm has people lined up across the globe to hire them.
Speaker 3: They don't need Mike Johnston's money.
Speaker 2: Mike Johnston needs them, so that's just garbage. Listen, this is a big story. This really matters. I think it means Mike Johnston believes he has criminal exposure, whether he committed a crime or not. Don't go down some stupid ass rabbit hole like that. What is he thinking? See this for what it is. Mike Johnston is willing to spend an awful lot of taxpayer money to protect Mike Johnston and he thinks he has criminal exposure. Right now, that's mike constitutionally protected opinion. But what is that nonsense? We just heard Ryan.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean you pretty much nipped it in the bud right there. This is not a law firm that's like better call.
Speaker 3: Saul or something. No, no, no, no, no, this.
Speaker 2: I I'm sorry, but calls like that infuriate me because listen, Mike Johnston, he hurts Denver in lots of ways, and we call him out on lots of bands stuff.
Speaker 3: He does, But don't make up crazy garbage like that.
Speaker 2: Hey, John Kellner, former DA in a repo and my love partner, I'm proud to say after the break and a very important piece, he wrote, you're on the Dan Kapla Show.
Speaker 6: You're listening to the Dan Kaplas Show podcast. I think I know where I'm gonna go real turning, but nobody knows.
Speaker 3: Yes, Chris Berman says, we're all day to day they sort the vote of.
Speaker 2: Confidence, saying no Bert Ryan and I were talking during the break. I have this cabin that I go up to and hide away in for long stretches.
Speaker 3: When I'm preparing for trial. And I'm up here now and in one of.
Speaker 2: Those phases, so going to come out maybe with a beard like down to my wat or something.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we're in a driving.
Speaker 2: Snowstorm up here, so I don't know how much the front range is going to get out of this. But hey, and I hope I wasn't too rough on that last caller, because you know, it's not like me, and it's not like me to use bad language. But one of the great gifts my mom gave me. Anything good about me comes to my mom and dad. Anything bad, that's all on me. But man, She gave me this strong sense of justice and right and wrong. And you know, yeah, I think Mayor Johnston is a terrible mayor for Denver, and I think he's done a lot of terrible things. But when the last caller starts accusing him of financial corruption total bs allegation just ticks me off. Even if I don't like the guy he's falsely accusing, it ticks me off.
Speaker 3: But we'll get back to that whole story. It's a big one too.
Speaker 2: Mike Johnston now spending a couple of million bucks a taxpayer money for starters on Joe Biden's former lawyer to prepare him for the upcoming hearing.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's about much more than that. Hey. In the meantime, really.
Speaker 2: Important piece don and published in the gazette over the weekend by John Kellner, the former DA in the eighteenth and now very happy to say, John and I practice law together. He's the managing partner of our firm. But the piece is really important, I think to you, and it's something you're not hearing much about, and so I wanted to see if John had join us and.
Speaker 3: Kick that around a little bit. Hey, John, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 9: Thanks Dan, always a pleasure to be with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody back there, Glad. I'm up at the cabin growing a beard.
Speaker 9: Well, you know how it is when you're away and everything kind of goes a little crazy. But I'm trying to hold down the foard for you.
Speaker 3: I'm sure. I'm sure you are.
Speaker 2: But I had no idea that what you wrote about was going on, and it's infuriating. So if you would tell folks about it and then tell them where they can find the.
Speaker 9: Piece, Yeah, Well, thanks again for having me on. And you know, I ended my term as District Attorney a little over a month ago and then joined your firm as a managing partner and kind of thought I'd be blissfully unaware of what was happening at the Capitol because as the DA, you know, I was hyper focused on what sort of nonsense might be coming down from under the Gold Dome. What is the governor going to sign that's going to make our jobs as prosecutors more difficult, what's going to make our communities less safe? And I thought maybe i'd put that behind me, but I just couldn't resist. So I kind of looked in at the quarter pole Mark here. You know, we're a quarter of the way into the legislative session, and I was curious where do things stand from a public safety perspective, because as your listeners, I'm sure know they're smart, they're well informed. You know, we're ranked number three in the country as the least safe, most dangerous, you know state out there by the US News and World Report, which is a crazy thing to have. You know, we've got national gangs like trender Agua trying to put down roots in our state. You know, we've got people of stabbing folks on Sixteenth Street Mall. There's just a lot that's going wrong. So I figure with Polis always saying that, hey, we want to be a tuck ten state to state that public safety has got to be at the forefront of any sort of legislative agenda. So I look on the the website starts seeing, you know, one of the many hundreds of bills that have been introduced so far the Sledge Safe session, and I got to tell you it's it's almost worse than you would expect when it comes to public safety. We've got a bill that was recently introduced. It's House built twenty five to twelve over six I wrote about it my piece. This is a bill that would make it a classified felony for one of these would be mass murderers. Think Club Q shooting, King Supers massacre, the Aroar Theater shooting which happened in my judicial district in the eighteenth Every person that that would be killer, you know, shot at but missed. We charge them right now with attempted extreme indifference, first degree murder, and that adds a significant penalty when they get sentenced, up to forty eight years for each instance of that. This is a bill which again makes no sense whatsoever, but reduces that penalty by about eighty three percent and makes it something around two to a maximum of eight years.
Speaker 2: Well, it'll be the warning at John, And why would they do it?
Speaker 9: It makes no sense whatsoever. It literally rewards the worst of the worst in our society for being bad shots. And you know, thankfully right that they don't kill all these people they intend to, but for the sake of deterrence, and any sane society is going to say we throw the book at people like that. We lock them up for pretty much forever, if not for the rest of their natural lives. Since we don't have a death penalty in the state of Colorado anymore. But that's just one. I mean, that's cruising through right now, Dan, We've got some other things going on where you've got rampant retail theft in our state. And I'm sure all of your listeners have seen these videos of people on social media just loading up something at King Sooper is a cart going into a store just walking out. I mean, there's almost no intervention, right, and nobody wants to go viral for the wrong reasons of trying to apprehend these folks, and a lot of corporate entities are saying, we don't want you to intervene, but that's causing the cost of goods to go up for all of us law abiding citizens. Right. We flipped the bill for people who do this sort of rampant shop lifting. So a couple of years ago, Government Polis signed a law that made it a petty offense, so basically maximum jail sentence of ten days and most likely fine as the outcome if you steal three hundred dollars or under and it's still misdemeanor minds you for stealing up to two thousand dollars, But we see it in municipalities like Aurora, dan saying, hey, we've had enough of this. We think we can do better to protect our citizens and protect our businesses. So they passed city ordinances that say, look, if you steal in the city of Aurora, that's going to be a mandatory minimum jail sense of three days. If you do it a second time, you're looking at a mandatory minimum of forty five days. So we got a new bill out there, brought by some Democrats in the legislature House built twenty five eleven forty seven that says, you know what, municipal courts, like in Aurora and other places across the state cannot have tougher sentences then they have legislated under the state capital cannot have situations where they have mandatory penalties, but the state does not. So Aurora's efforts to deter, you know, retail theft, to make sure that they don't lose box stores that hold communities together, groceries, pharmacists like Walgreens, forget about that. That's going out the window. If this thing passes.
Speaker 3: They're not even trying to hide the pro criminal thing anymore.
Speaker 9: It doesn't make any sense to me because I think every legislature, legislator gets five bills to sort of buy right to put forward. And for the life of me, I just don't understand who is clamoring for some of these things, because I don't think it's a big group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's probably not a Colorado group.
Speaker 2: My guess is it's uber big money on the left that just wants all this crazy far left stuff. But John, your piece, I know breaks down. I've read it, breaks it down in great detail. That's in the gazette. But folks can find it on our website as well. John and I practicing law together now, Johnson managing partner of our firm, and you can find that Dan Capitalist Law, and it's in the blog post under the about us section. So Dan Caplis Law about us, go to the blog post.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you wrote the piece because I didn't know any of that garbage was going on, and people need to know it if we're going to be able to stop it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's so much going on in the capital that gets a lot of attention. I know, there's a big fight, you know, when it comes to some automatic weapons and gun grabbing bills and things like that, and that's getting so much of the press. But while that's happening, a lot of other things that are going to make us less safe and farther from our actual goal of being a top ten save the state. That's a flyine of the radar right now.
Speaker 2: Well, and let's get you on a bunch to talk about that. I know that mattered a lot to you. His da and you were all over that. But let's keep people up on this and maybe if there's some hope they can pressure poll listen to some vetos though.
Speaker 3: We'll find out together so that piece you can see it.
Speaker 2: Dan caplis Law in the blog post section and also Denver Gazette. Hey appreciate the time. Stay safe and warm down there, you ks. Thanks man Cia. That is John Kellner, and I've been saying for years, long before he obviously just came to work for us with me. He's not working for anybody except our clients. John is our managing partner and he is the future. I look forward to trying cases with him for the next ten or twenty years.
Speaker 3: But he is the future.
Speaker 2: He is an elite talent and a great guy, and it's just awesome.
Speaker 3: To be able to go try cases with him.
Speaker 2: When we come back, big story out of Denver Mayor Mike Johnston spending to start with two million dollars of taxpayer money on Joe Biden's former attorney. How much trouble do you think Johnston believes he's in and is he You're on the Dan Caplis Show.
Speaker 7: And now back to the Dan Kapla Show podcast.
Speaker 3: Wow what a day.
Speaker 2: First, we started the show with a courageous woman, Heather McCormick, who is telling the story on behalf of the family of this horrific circumstance has described at Columbine where according to the story, you had a top administrator and others get together to help declare a student homeless who actually had a home, and then that student ends up getting estrange from her parents and from everything I can see, no fault to the parents, and then moving away with a teacher who had texted her twenty thousand times according to the story. So very important story. We'll continue to follow it. George Brockler joined us on that as well. And then one of the most important stories in years I think on the political scene this coming out of Denver that Denversity Council has approved two million dollars to hire a DC law firm to advise Mayor Mike Johnston prior to his appearance before Congress in a few weeks, two thousand hours of attorney time from top attorneys at one thousand bucks an hour, and raising the very real question what kind of trouble does Mayor Johnston think he's in? Because really, does anybody buy that he's getting two million dollars worth of advice just on how to testify at a hearing where any idiot and he's no idiot. He does a lot of crazy things in my opinion, but he's no idiot. Any idiot could get through that hearing unscathed just by filibustering because there's no judge. There's no judge to order you to answer a question or hold you in contempt. So he's just going to preen before the national cameras. And so, so, yeah, what is this two million dollars and more really for? Because these are big time lawyers. This is Michelle Obama's formal lawyer, this is Joe Biden's former White House counsel. So does Mike Johnston think he's in big trouble? Potentially criminally on this immigration business.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think.
Speaker 2: He's taking the downsides of this kind of story unless he thinks he needs an awful lot of protection. So I don't know if he's committed any crimes or not presumed innocent, But this is a lot of taxpayer money to be spending on DC lawyers. And by the way, there are a lot of great criminal lawyers in Denver, a lot of great government lawyers in Denver. So to go right to Joe Biden's former White House counsel tells me. The way I take it is he thinks he's potentially in big trouble.
Speaker 3: Dan.
Speaker 2: New bills go light on criminals and heart on law abiding citizens. Restricting gun rights SB twenty four three, we are going the opposite way of safety.
Speaker 3: Boy, that is so true. My law partner, John Kellner.
Speaker 2: Just joined us, a former DA in the twenty thirty has a great new piece that details bill's going through the legislature that will make you less safe and profound ways. So check that out. You can read his piece either on the gazette or through our website. Dan Kaplis's Law at the blog post Dan. When you're called to d C by the House or Senate. As with the FBI, it's best to have a DC lawyer as a Colorado resident. I don't appreciate his use of city funds to cover his you know what they're Wait a second, when you're called a DC by the House or Senate.
Speaker 3: No, he was invited. It's optional. He doesn't even have to go.
Speaker 2: He's going because he knows this will be easy for him. He will get a lot of national attention. That's what he craves as he runs for higher office. So he's going for his own reasons. If he was walking into a courtroom to be cross examined by me or any good attorney, yeah, he'd need lawyers, and he'd have to be very worried because there there's a judge to order and answer questions, etc. Truly, any idiot could skate through one of these DC hearings, and that's no reflection on the good people who'll be questioning him. Gabe Evans will do a great job within the limits of the process. You know, so will everybody else who questions him, including Congressoman Bobert. But it's a very limited process. So no, my own personal belief is that all of these millions to advise Mayor Johnston have very little to do with that hearing. I think it has to do with his concerns that prosecution may be coming, and his concerns about whether what he's done in the past and what he's doing right now may violate federal law. Again, I'm not saying he's violating federal law or committing any crimes, but I think he has concerns about criminal exposure. That's what I personally believe is going on here.
Speaker 8: Dan.
Speaker 2: It's not Mike Johnston's money, it's taxpayer's money. Johnston and the city Council are not good stewards of taxpayer money.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's any breaking news.
Speaker 2: There, my friend, Dan, if my calculations are corrects, as a Texter, two million for testimony prep over the next eight days would require ten lawyers working twenty four to seven. I'm with you on that, Texter. I think this money. I think this money has far more to do with this. What Johnston is concerned is a coming battle with the administration over again. The administration has made it clear if they think somebody is breaking federal law, interfering with efforts to enforce the immigration laws of this country, they're going to seek prosecution.
Speaker 3: I don't know whether he has broken federal law. I just know he's spending a.
Speaker 2: Lot of taxpayer money right now to get a lot of good legal advice. Thank you, Ryan Kelly join us tomorrow, please,