Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 2: It beats listening to nothing.
Speaker 3: My goodness, Being Frank, where the only way to be is Frank. Hello everyone, and welcome to Being Frank. We're the only way to be is, of course, Frank. I'm your host, Frank. We're going and I'd like to thank you for joining us on what we like to call the Intelligent Conversation podcast, where no conversation is out of bounds and all points of view are welcome. Our listeners are familiar with our routine. We record live to tape, and I give you the date for context and relevance. It is the fourth of March. Being Frank kicks off March with a special edition of our program to celebrate Women's History Month. We're going to feature some of the great women from the world of jazz music. Generally, when we think of the great names and the history of that music, we tend to come up with only men. But that does a disservice to the many great women who added so much to that uniquely American music. Well, my guests and I intend to fix that. Welcome back for some intelligent conversation and a little bit of great music. He's a musician educator and jazz historian and a contributor here at Being Frank Welcome back, Eric Devido, Thanks again for joining us.
Speaker 1: Eric glad to be here. How's it calling?
Speaker 3: It's going well. So, you know, before we get into and you gave me a wonderful list of fifteen women, some who might be familiar to our listeners, some not certainly that was my case. But before that, you know, in my lead and I mentioned generally speaking, when we think of jazz, we tend to think of men Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie and etc. Etc. But yet there are as a pantheon of women as well. Why do you think the men got the lieon's share of the headlines in the jazz world.
Speaker 1: Uh, yeah, that's a great question. Well, I'd say it's not that uncommon. You know, throughout history. I think there's always been an overrepresentation of male figures in the arts. I mean, you see it in classical music for sure. In fact, I was, you know, because it's Women's History Month. I'm teaching this now in my classroom and we're doing this month all female composers, and people always say, you know, hey, mister Davido. Why do we study so many male composers? And you know, so you see it when we study Beethoven in Mozart. If I ask people to name, you know, twenty composers, more people will probably name Bach and Beethoven and Mozart before thinking of maybe Fanny Mendelssohn or Clara Schumann or the women. So, you know, I just think it kind of falls in line with the overrepresentation of of you know, male figures, and that's just kind of something that I think is kind of dominated society throughout time. You know, I don't think it's initially you know, it probably started out kind of unconscious maybe, but you know, the more that people champion for women's rights, the more we started to see representation by women. And of course that's more of a fairly modern thing. So it's funny as you move from classical music, which you know, especially from the earlier periods you know, the Baroque and the Romantic or the classical period. In the Romantic period, you see less female composers. When you get to jazz, which is more modern, you start seeing more. And then when you move into later in the twentieth century with pop music, and you start to see even more, you know, so I think it really just kind of shows as we progress throughout the time and we champion more equal rights, we see you know, more women being celebrated and contributing, no different than we've seen, you know, when it comes to African American representation amongst you know, the different genres. As we kind of champion towards more equality, we see them represented more. There's a lot of there's there tends to be, just like anything else, a lot of systemic you know, inequality that exists that we're kind of breaking down. So now bringing it, you know, per se to jazz, you know, I think it's and I think if you ask any jazz musician, especially one that you know from a while ago or somebody that went to school for jazz, you know, you it's it's always been common to see have more male peers than females. I think that by its nature, jazz tends to be a bit competitive. It has a little bit more maybe male traits associated with some of it. I don't want to say all of it, because you know, there's a lot of uh, you know, if we're talking about feminimity, feminimity in terms of musical characteristics that's certainly present in jazz, as you know, But there's a lot of kind of like alpha male things that I think have traditionally been associated with jazz it can you know it bebop, especially as a tradition of being cutthroat and being kind of maybe more having some more male alpha qualities. That's not to say that there weren't females though that we're going to talk about today, that we're really champions of the genre, and in many cases there were many females that were leaders and really innovated the genre. But I feel, like anything else, when it comes to women, this often happens quietly behind the scenes. I feel like, you know, my wife always reminds me of this. Women have a funny way of kind of leading from behind the scenes and sometimes fooling men into thinking they're in charge when they're Often maybe women are a little more savvy that way in many cases. So there have been some really great women who when it comes to the early the blues and jazz, and then of course more so in in rock and roll. But yeah, I think the genre itself is very much associated anyways with some more you know, male types of stereotypes, you know, and jazz especially being born in underground clubs and speakeasies and places that you know, during prohibition, maybe we're kind of thought out as being not so uh, you know, family friendly and things like that, and I feel like women were kind of not you know, it was more unexpected maybe during that time to see women and being associated.
Speaker 3: It was a start of sexuality. And we've discussed this in a previous show. I mean that's part of the of the of the attraction, I guess, if you will, in jazz, so again, as you mentioned, depending on the time, that was frowned upon, certainly in feminine circles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I agree, and I think I think, you know, average listeners I think tend to of course, you know, know, more of the male jazz figures because they're may be more you know, they're more popular, or they're more historically noted. But it's funny, you know, I think back to when I was in school studying jazz, and there were so many of my peers you know, were male, but there was a few you know, women, and it's almost it's almost like sometimes they have a harder you know, like in many cases with females and societies when to make it to the top is even harder for many of the females because they have to push through such a male dominated society. So when you see them there, there tended to be a lot of respect, and you know, maybe that was misplaced respect, or maybe that's a bit stereotype, but I remember all of the women really gaining a lot of respect because they had to sift through a lot of men's crap to kind of get to the spot that they were and earn that respect, you know. And I think you see that in a lot of fields, not just jazz or music in general.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I always appreciate that research you do for this program America and give us such a great perspective, and you gave us fifteen names in a kind of a chronological order. Yeah, it was interesting as it developed. So let's go and against As I mentioned in the beginning, some might be somewhat familiar, some not at all. But I'm going to leave it up to you to help us understand these women and what impact they had on not only music, but on culture. And we started in eighteen eighty six with my RAINI tell us, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I put my Raini first on the list. And by the way, any jazz musician will who's listening or is going to hear this list and probably want to be like, why did you leave this person out?
Speaker 3: And how could you We were going to invite people at does your list match with?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: Apologies because I'm sure I left plenty of people out, but obviously it's good. But My Rainy is kind of you know, we're really going back to the blues here before jazz, you know, the roots of jazz, and my Rainie is often called the mother of the blues. You know, she was one of among the first professional blues singers to record and tour nationally. She started her career in like nineteen twenty three, and she really helped transition the rural Southern blues into these like more urban vaudeville kind of circuits and the emerging recording industry. So she really helped kind of elevate this very you know, folk like southern blues thing into this more national, you know, culture and form of entertainment. And for that, you know, I think we really owe a lot of just elevating the art form of the blues to her, but also her unique style, you know, was a She had this powerful contra alto voices, deep low voice. She was very theatrical and dramatic, and her lyrics are very candid, you know, and again going back to what we kind of expect from men versus women in society. When you hear My Rainy sing and you hear her deep, you know, voice and her guttural sounds and then the candid lyrics that she's singing, you know, things that were you know, maybe a little bit taboo and things like that. I think it really spoke about her ability to kind of transcend genre and also her phrasing, her emotion that she brought to the music that really kind of laid the foundation later for you know, everything that blues and jazz musicians were looking to do to take their having their own unique voice and interpretation. She was doing that, you know, very early in her career.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, we can't listen to clips of all the women. We do have some, but we can make suggestions, and again I appreciate you for compiling this. So if you want to listen to Ma Rainey and again available through YouTube and you can google et cetera and see c writer that's see see Writer Blues a good example of my Rainey's music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's also a great movie that came out a couple of years ago called Ma Raini, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom Stomp, I think it was called. And it's a really great movie, and it's very fictional. You know, a lot of it is you know, you know, Hollywood magic and things. But I think it really did a great job of kind of portraying a lot of what was happening during that time in the music industry and what life was like for her, you know, as a woman in the recording industry. So it's a great movie if you want to check it out. But it's not like a horse historical portrayal per se.
Speaker 3: All Right, let's move up to eighteen ninety four. A name that many people might be familiar with, if not necessarily all her work, but kind of a familiar name, Bessie Smith. Tell us about her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Bessie Smith, the Empress of the Blues. You know, when I think of women in jazz, I really first think of, you know, starting with Bessie Smith, even though we really need to go back to Ma Raini, but I feel like she is maybe more, maybe more recognizable to a lot of you know, blues and jazz musicians or maybe non musicians. Even she was probably the most successful black recording artist of the nineteen twenties. She had a very commanding projection, and she you know, had this dramatic storytelling through her music, and that also really kind of shaped jazz phrasing. And also I think, you know, something that popped up a lot in that I think of a lot both with Maraini and Bessie Smith, is this kind of idea and then you see it later with other singers like Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan, this idea of like vocal authority where it's that you're commanding this presence and you're clearly like leading, you know, and this and the music is revolving around your presence. And you know, these these women were doing that at a very early time and something I think wasn't easy for a woman woman to do is in the nineteen twenties. But Bessie Smith really had also this great vocal authority and she recorded. You know, she did a lot of recording sessions with all these great leading jazz musicians at the time, including Lewis Armstrong and her work, I think also really helped solidify the vocalists the singer as kind of this central interpretive force in jazz. A lot of people later, you know, on their instruments would emulate singers, you know, people initially Now it's funny now with more modern jazz, voices often emulate instruments, but initially instrument like Louis Armstrong when he was first solo, he was emulating singers, you know, he was trying to phrase his trumpet how he would sing in other singers, and I think Bessie Smith is one of his examples of these singers is vocal, you know, presence that instrumentalists were trying to emulate.
Speaker 3: Now we're able to play a clip, so we're going to hear Saint Louis Blue. Set it up briefly for us. Eric set up the song for us a little bit.
Speaker 1: What well, So Sat Louis Blues is just a very classic blues you often hear, you know, sometimes we'll associate it with early jazz, even though it is a you know, it's blues in the title, but it's kind of been recorded by everybody, you know. But if you're in a New Orleans jazz group or an early jazz group, you know, everyone from Lewis Armstrong. Kind of a central early jazz standard. But it's still you know, it's still a very popular tune and irrelevant tune today.
Speaker 3: Great tune, and it's also available via YouTube. But let's check out a bit here.
Speaker 5: We go, nme.
Speaker 6: Make me.
Speaker 3: Wow. You know, I don't know if it's the right word, but it comes pops into my mind is syrup. It's just so rich and thick and yeah, moves moving slowly but deliciously. I guess if that makes sense to anybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think you know you heard, if you if you go back and let's do it. You really hear the trumpet player there, and I'm not sure who that is. I don't I don't think that was Lewis Armstrong, but I'm not sure who it was. Really kind of using the singer, you know, really playing off the singer, you know, trying the trumpet lines and the improvisation is really kind of trying to emulate and do this call and answer or with the vocalists in a very similar manner. I think that's a great example of that. You know, it's funny with these really old blues recordings of course, and early jazz of course. Like the technology back then and the recording technology was you know, so you know crude. So there's often this kind of like out of tune warbleness that you always hear with these old recordings, And sometimes I feel like not that it does it a disservice. Sometimes it has a nice vibe to it, you know, it has this vintage vibe, but you know, I'm always thinking like it's it definitely would have sounded much different in person, just because you're not you know, you're hearing it through this dated recording technology that in a way has become associated with the time period.
Speaker 3: Now, you know, yeah, live, they wouldn't necessarily sound like that. That had a lot to do with the recording process. Yeah, an interesting point of view. Yeah, Or let's let's move on in chronological order. Born in eighteen ninety eight. Woman I'm not furoreamiliar with, but you're gonna help us to become more familiar with her. Lil Hardened Armstrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Lil Harden Armstrong right, married to Lewis Armstrong. Behind every great man is a great woman. Wow, That's what my wife always tells me. Anyways, regularly they do so little Harden Armstrong. So she was a classically trained pianist, but she was a great composer and arranger and a band leader, and she really helped kind of shape a lot of the you know, she played a pivotal role in the kind of shaping early Chicago jazz. And she encouraged Louis Armstrong to begin his solo career. And I didn't know that part actually when I was when I was looking up some of this stuff, how influential she was in terms of his solo career. You know, I know Louis Armstrong was course big, and you know, I think maybe his his you know, he went from being this great famous musician to being this like mega icon, you know, the equivalent of a superstar as a soloist, of course. And I guess she had sure I was gonna say, Taylor Swift and okay, right now, keep it in the woman the women's theme going here, But you know, I guess she had really a lot to do with that influence, you know. So so anyways, but this was also a time when women band leaders were very rare, you know, as we said, especially and you know, when you're talking about being a band leader. There's more than just being a great musician. You know, there's dealing with clashing personalities and annoying men and annoying people, you know, and you know, I could tell you being a band leader comes with his own its own set of headaches. You know. Sometimes it might pay more, but sometimes it's nice to just show up, play and go home and all the headaches or somebody else's problem. So, you know, she was doing that in a time when when doing it were kind of rare. But also she really played a big role.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Lewis Armstrong was in these groups, the Five and the Hot Seven, these kind of smaller groups you know, that were very successful, and she was kind of an important influence in the structuralate development of the small jazz group, you know, and how small group jazz would operate, you know, and jazz kind of early jazz took on this kind of standard instrumentation, right of having a trumpet, a clarinet, a trombone and then the rhythm section, and that development, you know, has more or less been kind of associated that instrumentation is associated with the genre and we often think, you know, Lewis Armstrong being central to that, and you know, according to what I'm learning about here, also Lil Harden Armstrong, who was doing a lot of maybe arranging on her own time or maybe behind the scenes too, so just as important, another great example I think of the kind of the quiet, behind the scenes influence that women often had in music.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, people are interested again YouTube doing the Susie Q that's right of her music. Okay, let's move on now again we're chronologically speaking in nineteen ten born Mary Lou Williams. Tell us about Mary.
Speaker 1: Look, Mary Lou Williams. Yeah, so you know, there's this very very famous photograph. A lot of people, you know, musicians, especially jazz musicians, they probably all have it somewhere. It's a I'm trying to remember of the name of the photographer, but it's this big photograph. Is it by Art Kane? Maybe I don't know. It's this big photograph of all of these great jazz musicians and they're standing in front of a brownstone building.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, it is Art Kane, I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, And I used to have it for so long and I can't even remember if I still have it or not. But anyways, Mary the Williams is in there, and there's so few women in it, you know, there's like Mary and McPartland's in there. I think I put on this list, But Mary the Williams is in there, and she's kind of like one of I think, one of jazz's most versatile musicians. She began in the Swing era. She was an arranger and a piano player, and I didn't know this, you know, I knew how involved she kind of was and how she kind of transitioned into bebob, but she actually was a mentor to these bebop pioneers like Dizzy Gillespie and Delonious Monk, which I didn't I wasn't that aware of, you know, So she really is starting to kind of you know, maybe maybe we could think of her as one of the first well known women to really bridge from the swing period into more modern jazz or bebop, you know, where all these giants came out of, like Charlie Parker and Disney Gillespie and Delonious Monk and all these people like that. So she had such a great presence and these guys were giants, and so, you know, learning that she mentored these guys, I think says a lot. Again, behind all these great men was this woman, like, you know, being so influential and Mary the Williams. Also she composed the cool, like large scale works which could almost like quasi you know, orchestral classical, you know, genre bending kind of stuff. She had something called the Zodiac Suite and these sacred jazz masses. So she was really bridging multiple errors kind of jazz evolution, you know, not unlike people like Duke Ellington would do later and even you know soun Ron, these like modern kind of musicians that were blending and transcending genre. Well, she was kind of pioneering some of that way back when. So yeah, and there's a great tune called Rollam that you're listening to.
Speaker 3: Again on YouTube. Yeah it's great. Okay. Now, next up a name that's familiar, I would think to most not only jazz and Feshonado's, but such a strong presence not only musically but culturally. Born in nineteen fifteen, Billie Holiday.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Billie Holiday, you know, is in some ways maybe the you know, quintessential jazz vocalist. To me, she's the perfect blend of the blues and jazz. She for her whole life, no matter how. You know, as she got older and as the music modernized, she she never left the blues out of her music and almost like she was cursed with it. I always say to my students, and you know, if you really dig into her life, she had a really troubled life. You know, from abuse to drugs and prostitution and all of these things. Society really, you know, dealt her a tough hand, a tough deck, and so you know, she she dealt with it through music. And to me, lots of people play the blues, but they don't all have the blues. They don't all experience the blues. You know, some people are good at faking it and things. But Billy Holliday really encompassed the blues, and it was almost like she couldn't help. Every note she plays is dripping with the blues. And that's one of the things that always stood out with me. And you know, compared to Ma Rainey and compared to Bessie Smith, I don't always think of her as having this commanding, powerful voice. She kind of had this, you know, she had this very unique voice. You know, whether it was the elements of life taking a toll on her physically and things like that. But she had this very nuanced voice and it was to me maybe more introverted, almost like there was she always left, there was always something unsaid. You can always feel this kind of emotional distress in my opinion coming out of Billie Holly, and it was like she couldn't help but be so authentic. There was no way she was faking anything, even when she was singing a happy song, you know, in a your key and an upbeat standard. To me, it was like it was always the Blues, and it was always had this element of sadness to it, and I think that really encompasses what the blues is, you know. You know, of course she has her epic recording of Strange Truth, and I don't know if you know anybody's not familiar with Strange Fruit. I don't want to give it a spoiler alert, but it's a pretty dark song that really ties into a lot of you know, a lot of symbolism and compared to you know, correct a lot of really racial and racially terrible things, and it's you know, it's a poem and it's a really to me, it's a poem with this beautiful hauntingly terrible ending, but at the same time it's kind of like this beautifully weaved poem. You know, it's like you're seeing it through the eyes of the singer. It's and it's haunting and it's terrible and beautiful and horrible all at the same time, which to me is you know, that's what this music does at its best. And also her you know, she has this famous version of God Blessed the Child. It was one of the standards she always sing would sing and it's it's almost like she's singing to you know, to you in a way more so I feel like than a lot of other singers. It was like she could have been singing to nobody, or she could have been singing to everybody, and it wouldn't really change how how you hear it. So I just think her music is some of the most kind of commanding, but not in a overly uh in an extroverted way. It's almost like in an introverted way, she draws you in and you can't help but you know, intently listen to every every nuance that she's singing.
Speaker 3: We've going to listen to a clip of the of the legendary strange fruit.
Speaker 6: Sun trees.
Speaker 7: Bears strange.
Speaker 2: Fruit, blood on leaves and blood at the roots. Black bodies swinging.
Speaker 6: In the side, then breathe.
Speaker 2: Strange fruit hanging from the popular trees.
Speaker 3: Well, she gives you goose bumps. And her voice is so full, it's so rich.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I always find her music like just her interpretations just be so unique, you know, very dark, a lot of you know, her repertoire, but also just the way she's sung, Like I said, it's just everything to me, was so dripping with the blues, you know. So yeah, that's a great tune. Every time I teach that tune, it's always interesting, you know, I give the lyrics out and it takes people a long time to kind of come to the conclusion of what the song is actually about. It kind of you could see it in their eyes when it kind of clicks, and it's very kind of like transformative in a way. Yeah, Billy Holidays to me kind of the the giant of you know, jazz and blues singing, but in a very reserved, genuine way. I guess the word I like to use very is like authentic. That's authentic. There was it was just so real exactly. She wasn't interested in the in you know, when you look at somebody like Bessie Smith or Ella Fitzgerald, who were very theatrical, and that's not in any way to devalue the showmanship part of it, but I feel like that wasn't Billie Holiday's concerned intent. It's just about authentic, you know, communication, and it's perfect.
Speaker 3: You mentioned Elia Fitzgerald. She's next on our list. Born in nineteen oh, yeah, just a couple of years after Billie Holiday, and of course again a very familiar name to most people are familiar with music, not only jazz music, but music in general. El Fitzgerald.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Ela Fitzgerald. I feel like she was probably not, I'm sure not the first, but she's really well known for her technical mastery, you know, of her voice as an instrument, and I also feel like she really helped well, she really made popular you know, she was a virtuosix scat improviser with her voice. And you know, we talked earlier about instrumentalists really mimicking the voice in jazz, right, because when you try to find your voice on your instrument, you're really going back to you know, trying to mimic the voice. But I feel like Ella Fitzgerald's really popularized using her voice to imitate instruments, you know, because now you know, she she's coming from a time you know, earlier, during the swing period, but she was performing all the way into you know, the later part of the twentieth century with modern jazz and and of course bebop earlier on, and she was playing with a lot of bebop musicians who were playing these very fast, technically dazzling bebop phrases with you know, chromatic harmony, and she was doing those things. She was emulating that on her voice, which is technically, you know, pretty amazing. Sometimes vocalists, I feel like, get a bad rap. Sometimes it's warranted about you know, not being as maybe knowledgeable when it comes to harmony and theory, because you know, and sometimes jazz instrumentalists kind of are really more into that, and a lot of vocalists don't need to be into that or aren't. But Elifitzgerald's was really acutely aware of, you know, a lot of these more advanced harmonic things that bebop musicians were doing, and she would emulate them with her voice. And I always thought that was really cool. You know, when I think of some of my favorite scat singers, I think of Lewis Armstrong, of course, and then I think of Ella Fitzgerald.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: So she really elevated this jazz singing into this virtuosic thing. Also, she really helped preserve the Great American Songbook, you know, this thing that jazz musicians kind of hold sacred as canon of tunes that were constantly interpreting and reinterpreting forever. You know, she really brought her audience to those tunes kind of all the time. You know, she was always playing those songs, and you know, a lot of them more so than others became she could be associated. Of course, I think the example I gave you was how High the Moon? You know, it's probably she probably did that, I don't want to say at every gig, but the crowd kind of expected Ella fitzgeral version of how High the Moon, and she would just you know, go take it way out and really go, you know, go lots of places with her scatsing. But she really helped that established a Great American Songbook too, as this, you know, such a popular thing, and I think she helped elevate you know, in general, helped jazz kind of come out of the I don't you know folk music category or maybe the you know, she helped bring it to I think art, you know, the level of an art music. I think she had a lot to do with that too, where audiences who weren't musicians really understood how technically and musically superior it was.
Speaker 3: Well, we're not going to disappoint you said, you know, how High the move as standard, so we have clip of it. This is Ella Fitzgerald with how High the Moon?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 5: So we're ahead.
Speaker 7: There's music.
Speaker 2: I'll thank the Taha.
Speaker 5: Where head there's heather, A.
Speaker 8: High the moon.
Speaker 9: There is no love when love it's.
Speaker 8: Far away too.
Speaker 7: Till it comes true that you love me as I love you so God, Where heather's heather, it's where you are, Sah.
Speaker 5: Where here there's music.
Speaker 8: High far.
Speaker 3: The darkest night would shine.
Speaker 7: If you would come to me soon, until you will, I steal my Hi the Moon, Hi, Hi the Moon is the name of it song, Hi High the Moon. Though the words may be wrong, we're singing it because you asked for it, so we're swinging it.
Speaker 1: For you.
Speaker 7: Ah the mod dow to touch the star the moon now to reach up to Mars.
Speaker 8: Though the words may be wrong to the.
Speaker 7: Song We're reds gonna Hi, Hi, You didn't they.
Speaker 2: You you neddy oh bully ba by Bobby by ba ba Bobby you.
Speaker 7: Siby wa.
Speaker 2: Bobby did.
Speaker 5: But yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know. Neil left that last part in the scat part uh specifically because of of what you were saying. How and it does it sounds like an instrument, it really does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And she was kind of a you know, I was waiting for that time when they go into double time and then all of a sudden, she you know, takes it like you think it would be that that would be where the trumpet solo would come in or something, But no, it was El Fitzgerald.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You know it's funny. I when I was younger, in early in my career, I had just you know, we I always have these couple of really influential jazz albums. In one of them was with my my absolute favorite guitar players, Joe passed and he did these great duo records with Ella Fitzgerald. And you know, as you can hear in that recording Ella's bands were always just so swinging.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It was about the swing. You know, hear the bass player there, that's a great bass player. I got to see who's the bass player on that recording. It's probably like Keeter Bits or something. But she was always swinging, and she was all about the swing. And Joe Passed was the same way. And and so I really kind of got a lot of the sound of jazz and in my head listening to these records with Joe passing Ella Fitzgerald, and it's just so good as a duo. So yeah, great, great record. And you could hear you know, she she had that thing that Louis Armstrong had, that showmanship. She had the crowd in the palm of her hand. You know, she would joke with the crowd. You know, she wasn't worried about messing up. You loved when Ella Fitzgerald messed up. You loved when there was a mistake because it was like funny. She would joke and play it off and she would turn it into something great and every yeah, and it was like anything could happen. It was very I think people people went to see that too. Just as great as she was, it was fun. You know, you didn't. Sometimes you watch these jazz conscious and it's a little bit serious and oh and don't clink your glass and Ella like when you go here, Ella, it was fun. I mean she was having fun. She didn't. She just wanted to see where it was gonna go. And she you know, you could. You felt that you got that energy off of her.
Speaker 3: All right, So let's move a few years later, born in nineteen twenty four and get a name that many people might be familiar with, Saravaon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Saravon. So I feel like a lot of people know Ela Fitzgerald unless maybe know Sarah von She's probably my favorite jazz vocalist, although it's kind of hard to pick one, but Sara von there was something about her. I feel like she was maybe very influenced by what Ela Fitzgerald was doing, but also just really had her own unique style and she had this like operatic range. I mean her range was really, I think, really big and flawless. You know, when you listen to Ela Fitzgerald, she's great and technically the thing she was doing, but I feel like sarahvon On just had this more beautiful instrument, almost like an opera singer might, but she also had this great knowledge of bebop kind of fluency. So she was doing these things and she had this beautifully rich kind of a I feel like maybe her phrasing was more sophisticated in a way, not to say that other singers were less sophisticated, but she was really thinking, I think, a little bit more harmonically sophisticated and tone wise, more like maybe an opera singer might, but it was so very you know, beautifully you know, in beautiful jazz music. But I think she was a little more you know, using more modern jazz harmony and really mastering or show showcasing the technical mastery and tone of her voice. And she just had this amazing range. When you hear a sing like her recording of Misty, if you if you hear the listeners, check it out. Just you got to check out her rain and her the depth of where she goes with it is really intense. She's just kind of always been one of my favorite jazz singers and she's just a great one to check out.
Speaker 3: All right, let's move up to nineteen twenty six, born and actually in nineteen twenty six, a new name for me, but you were going to educate us Melba Liston.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Melburisten is this is, you know, one of one of these people that I learned a lot about, didn't really know anything about. So Melbura Listen was one of the first female jazz trombonists and an influential arranger. And I thought she was so interesting because this is kind of one of those examples of like women who were in a time in a place that was dominated by men. But she was just so brilliant and so good, but in such a quiet way. She wasn't She was not a household name. She was not somebody that probably the audience even necessarily came to see.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: She collaborated and worked with all these other great musicians. She was kind of this behind the scenes but you know, arranger and super influential arranger. She worked with a musician named Randy Weston who integrated a lot of like African rhythms and big, large scale orchestrations and brought it into modern jazz. She also worked with Dizzy Gillespie, Earl Hines and Quincy Jones, and she arranged for Billie Holliday, Max Roach and Quincy Jones, which I didn't know, and she's just really like, it's like, who is this person? And yet she's so influential and so important, And I just love that. I love when people do that. I love people who are these kind of quiet, unsung heroes. And it's great to kind of learn about somebody new. And then as you start going down the rabbit hole being like, wow, you know, I started finding these cool recordings and like I said, I don't even know, I've never I had never heard of her name and heard a jazz musician speak her name. But yet she so right there in the mix with all of these jazz giants, and so I found her very inspirational.
Speaker 3: And an example of her music is with the Quincy Jones Big Band. If you want to listen to more of Melbow Listen's work a gat available on YouTube. All Right, moving on to nineteen twenty nine, and unusual for an Asian Japanese Toshiko aki Yoshi.
Speaker 1: Yeah you nailed It to Hiko Akiyoshi. Yeah to Hiko Akiyoshi. It was one of the first big bands that I remember listening to as a kid. When I first got into big bands, I always thought big bands were other than like the swing bands of Count Basie. And I heard Tshiko Akiyoshi's and I was blown away. I was like, whoa, where is this from? What planet is from? This is so hip, this is so modern, This arranging is so interesting and sophisticated at the same time, so swinging, but great use of advanced harmony. And but also you know, she blended bebop with all these Japanese musical influences, and she had this like acclaimed big band. She really helped expand jazz to this kind of globe, have this global voice. And you know, she worked with I think she was married right to Lou Tobaccan. I think they're they're married and she so they would work together. And Lu Tobaccan is this great woodwind player. He play all the horns and flute, and they collaborated a lot, but Tichiko was the piano player and writing most of the compositions. And her band is just phenomenal. I mean, if it's like I remember just from hearing it being totally drawn in, that's I think how I really got into the modern big band. And I like a lot of these modern big bands, like Maria Schneider Orchestra, who I think we'll mention later the Village Band Guard Orchestra, and you know, they come from that tradition, the older bands, from the Count Basie Band to the Thad Jones Meluspan. But I feel like to Shiko Aki Yoshi's work really influenced a lot of these modern band sounds and arranging and she's just so unique and I love it.
Speaker 3: And her work could be heard in Coogan Ko g U n also available for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but just go Google to Shikaaki Yoshi and hit play on anything that comes up, and it's awesome. It doesn't matter, all right, keep.
Speaker 3: Moving along here. We got one more before the break, and then a few more after. This has just been absolutely terrific, fascinating against some names you know, some you know, but all with tremendously interesting stories. Right next up board in nineteen thirty, Abby Lincoln.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Abby Lincoln. I feel like as a you know, for many vocalists, kind of like a quintessential influence. She fused jazz and of course civil rights activism was this powerful voice with you know, with social justice and civil rights, and you know, her songwriting really emphasized social justice. It was very emotionally authentic. She's almost is like kind of this interesting storyteller and singer at the same time poet, and I feel like when I listen to her music, it's part jazz, part poetry, part freestyle, you know, impromptu storytelling. She also you know, going back and forth between using her voice like an instrument. So just really really important. I think influence and so so such a strong voice, you know, during the Civil rights era and uh, which jazz you know, was a central part of you know, when I think of musicians like Charles Mingus or At Coleman, musician Eric Dolphie, you know, musicians that were also using jazz kind of as a platform to make political statements, I feel like Abby Lincoln really also belongs in that category.
Speaker 3: Wow, this has been terrific. We've got a few more to go. We're gonna take a quick break. We come back, go down a list, moving up art in time chronologically. And there's a name on there that I think some people are going to recognize and final interesting, particularly in the in within the jazz genre. Anyway, my very special guest, and we're having some really intelligent conversation, is educated musician and jazz historian mister Eric Davido. This is Being Frank. We're honoring the women of jazz for Women's History Month right here on Being Frank. Don't go anywhere. Got a brief commercial break. We're back with more, so don't go anywhere yet.
Speaker 4: This is Hudson River Radio dot com, Hudson Riverradio.
Speaker 1: Dot com, Hudson Riverradio.
Speaker 8: Dot com, Hudson Riverradio dot com. This is Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Being Frank, the Intelligent conversation podcast. Thanks for sticking with us. I'm your hosts, Frank Lubono and as always our engineer as the mailman, mister Neil Richter. We bring our audience a fresh topic every week and we stream from Hudson River Radio, located and beautiful and historic Stony Point, New York. But remember, you can catch Being Frank anywhere you get your favorite podcasts like Apple, Spotify, iHeart Radio and all the others. And because every Being Frank is archived, you can listen to any of our programs anytime you like. You can find a link to Being Frank on the Hudson River Radio Facebook page or at our website Hudsonriverradio dot com. Just click and you're there. Okay, we're back with our very special guest, Eric DeVito, and we are honoring the women of jazz for Women's History Month. And we've gone through a rather extensive list so far and we're going to continue. And next up is Carla Blay. Tell us about Carla Eric.
Speaker 1: Yes, so, Carla Blay is this just fantastic jazz composer? And I really feel like this is kind of you know, she's very influential in avant garde jazz. And you know, some people love avant garde jazz and some people it's not their favorite kind of jazz, and however you feel. But I really feel like she's this key composer of this genre. And she had these very innovative orchestral works, and her work and her compositions I think really helped redefine kind of the role of the modern jazz composer. You know, she's this beautiful, beautiful piano player, and she's very kind of I always found her music to be full of all these great surprises, and she's kind of unassuming and very quiet. You know, she wasn't this big personality, maybe compared to somebody like Ella Fitzgerald or some of these other, you know, really personality forward personas. But Carla Blair, I just think her music is so beautiful and different and she just unique, you know, and avant garde jazz is a very you know, acquired taste for a lot of people, and I think she really does it, did it? You know, she really put her own stamp on the music. One of my favorite tunes actually is this tune of hers called Lawns and It's and it's actually just the recording I have from it. I used to do it at gigs. After I heard it, I was so inspired by It's ah and It's. It's one of the more less avant garde things actually that I recall listening of hers. But it's just really beautiful and kind of like this understatedly sophisticated. I don't know if that's a weird. If that's a weird, what do you call it? Dichotomy understatedly sophisticated things. The piece of music, you know, it's beautiful, there's so many more layers to it than you actually notice, and then you know, especially when you start digging into the music. But also she had some very app on guard you know, things too that she did and you didn't see a lot of or I didn't always know when I think of avant garde jazz, you know, you always might think of late Coltrane and Burnette Coleman and Eric Dolphie and uh Son Raw and things like that, and you don't always think of women. But Carla Blay was really influential in the with her avant garde jazz. She has a great, great composition called sing Me Softly of the Blues. So it's a really great women women women composer that I think maybe also like a lot of jazz musicians know, but not a lot of non jazz musicians are as familiar.
Speaker 3: With all Right, born in nineteen forty three. Again name that will be familiar to many, but not necessarily for this genre. But she made your list. Joni Mitchell, Yes, so Joni Mitchell is.
Speaker 1: Maybe my top If I to pick five musicians or composers actually, which would be a very hard thing to pick, Joni Mitchell would be on that list. Probably be like Wayne Shorter, Joni Mitchell, maybe maybe even Maria Schneider, who's another woman on this list. But Joni Mitchell. Yeah, of course, everybody knows Joni Mitchell for her you know, feel work in folk and rock and pop music, but you know, her music transcended genres, and I think that's why people loved her so much. And it just as much as it as it went in and out of all these genres, it did so with jazz. It's funny, my first experience with Joni Mitchell was through her recordings with jazz musicians, so I kind of heard that first, and maybe in a way that's what kind of got me interested in her. And then I sort of explored all of the amazing, you know, genius that she was and all the other things. But yeah, so she's known as this singer songwriter of course, but you know, every one of Joni Mitchell's songs to me is this very unique composition and part of that As a guitarist, I'm always fascinated because she used so many unique guitar non standard guitar tunings, you know, and it's like you can't play a lot of her music correctly if you don't know the different tunings that she used and they're not these standard obvious tunings and a lot of that, you know, after if you read some of her some of her biographies and things, you learned that she had polio as a child, and she had a physical issue with her hand, and she couldn't play the guitar conventionally without pain. So she learned to change the tunings around to get make it easier for her to get a lot of these harmonies and chords. But in doing so, she discovered and invented all of these new interesting tunings that are far more interesting, and they're just as an important part of her songs as the songs herself, like these beautiful tunings. So anyways, she's like, you know, I like to think for she's a composer when her songs are just as compositional to me, whether it's just her by herself with a guitar or with all these other musicians. And her music always encompassed to me, even if it wasn't something that was traditionally jazz, she approached it to me like a jazz musician in terms of improvisation, in terms of structure and form, in terms of collaboration with other musicians. So I always found that she I felt her music was very much drawn to jazz, but she also collaborated with these jazz giants, Charles Mingus, Wayne Shorter, some of my you know, Pat Mactheney, Jocko Pastorius, Michael Brecker. And that's actually how I kind of got into listening to her. And you know, it's funny. When I was in college, I remember this masterclass with Michael Brecker, one of the you know, the greatest saxophonists. He died in the early two thousands, but I remember him coming. Maybe it was like nineteen ninety nine and two thousand and he came and gave this masterclass and it was cool. We had a chance after listening to him play, you know, he gave a great concert. We had this like he had like a Q and A and I remember him saying some of the most challenging and rewarding experiences he had was working with Joni Mitchell, and she would tell and he was a giant, you know, even back you know, he was a jazz giant, of course, but when he was younger working with Joni Mitchell, he was telling I remember him telling us how she would always remind him, you know, because she had a lot she was working with people like Michael Brecker, who was technically amazing and was doing all these sophisticated things, but it would always remind him, don't forget about the melody, don't forget about the words. And I remember him saying, like Joniy Mitch would always remind him, you know, you make sure you know the lyrics to this tune that you're playing over and to keep him kind of grounded to I just always remember that story about how influential Joni Mitchell was to this, you know, modern giant of jazz, Michael Brecker. But she was certainly not a traditional anything. Joni Mitchell certainly not a traditional jazz vocalist. I can't really recall her singing many jazz standards at all. The some of the jazz tunes she did were, you know, kind of more esoteric, and she was very harmonically sophisticated. She had this very improvisational approach. And some of my favorite works that she's done are her interpretations of jazz tunes, for instance, and I put this one on the listening list. This is one of the first tunes I ever heard Joni Mitchell sing was Charles Mingus's Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, and that in itself is a very kind of not so standard jazz tune. You know, all of Mingus's tunes are very unique, often kind of being very politically charged, and it has this There's a lot of famous recordings of this tune. And Joni Mitchell took the outdo saxophone solo on the on the on his recording, I think it's on Mingus. It is the name of the album. And she took it like note for note and set words to it, and then she sings it and and that a lot of other vocalists have done that, and I'm not sure if Joni Mitchell was the first to do that, but I remember hearing that for the first time and already having the saxophone solo memorize this improvised saxophone soul, and then hearing Joni Mitchell's version of Goodbye pork by Hat where she then sings and put words to that saxophone solo and sang it. And you know, for her to be able to do that, you know, it almost gave her a lot of, like we call it jazz cred. I guess this like street cred of she really did her homework. She really knew these jazz you know, the ins and outs of this jazz music. Even though she wasn't maybe associated with it, and that's kind of one of the things I just love about her. And and I think through that, it was kind of through her work in jazz that really made me appreciate her and then go explore all the other things that she'd done. So to me, she has to be on this list.
Speaker 3: Interesting, very interesting. All right, Moving on to next up the list in terms of chronological water born in nineteen fifty seven, Jerry Allen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Jerry Allen was just such an important jazz musician period. But I think especially for you know, women in jazz, and also we're getting a little more modern here, and so I think people like Jerry Allen really helped it be a little bit more acceptable, you know. And I think these women, you know, we're talking about women standing on the shoulders of the ones that came before them, you know. So I think Jerry Allen really did a lot too for making it like not so such a big deal. And I think she had to be you know, we talked about this earlier. You kind of had to be a lot more together. I think when you're the you know, quote unquote underdog, you really have to have it together because you're gonna go through a lot more scrutiny, you know. I think women have to deal with that, whether it's in the workplace or in the professional artistic field and professionally, and so you know, Jerry Allen was just this phenomenal musician. She really you know, she blended gospel music with bebop avant garde traditions, and I think she really helped get greater recognition for women in jazz history. And she's you know, played with every all these giants, of course, and I feel like I often hear a lot of more modern women in jazz talk about and refer back to Jerry Allen and kind of her influence on them and.
Speaker 3: On her listening list is feed the fire. Okay, moving on next nineteen sixty. When you have a woman Maria Schneider, tell us about Maria.
Speaker 1: Ah marias Schneider might be also, like I said in my top three, she might be my favorite composer, definitely in the jazz genre. But I think much like Joni Mitchell, and her music often reminds me of I often hear like similar conceptual things and approaches. Maria Schneider.
Speaker 2: To me, really.
Speaker 1: Her music is just so beautiful, and it's also just so it transcends genres. So she has this big jazz orchestra and it's funny many I've heard her her orchestra play so many times. One of my you know, my wife and I it's one of the few musical musicians that we both love equally. Like a lot of times I'm dragging my wife to jazz concerts and she's like, well does that I don't. I don't get it or whatever. She doesn't, it's not her thing, but we both so look forward to going. Whenever Maria Schneider's like got Birdland or she always gets me tickets, like for my birthday. It's like it's she knows like that that's a great gift because we love it. She works with. Her band has so many of these great New York musicians in it that are in other bands.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: She guys like Steve Wilson and Ben Mander and Donnie McCaslin and Rich Perry and just all these you know, iconic New York jazz musicians that I, you know, grew up listening to and love. And you know, Steve Wilson's actually, you know, he was on my last record. Actually he's just this you know, phenomenal voice. So these are all people that I found, you know, I'm always listening to and they're like all in her band all the time. You know, they're like part of her working man. And the way they transform her music, you know, or take her music off the page is amazing. And she to me is just this like beautiful soul to even watching her conduct, you know, she she's almost like part. Her conducting to me, is like just as important to the music that's going on. She's such a great interpreter of her own music, and it's so sophisticated. Her music. It's so complicated, you know, but it's also so simplistic at the same time. You know, one of some of my favorite records are she has a record called sky Blue, and you know, you hear elements of classical music, and she's also done some great work more in the classical genre, you know, collaborating with you know, classical vocalists and classical instrumentalist and you just kind of it's almost like her music just weaves in and out of all these genres, and I just that's what I love that, you know, That's why I like musicians and composers like that that kind of transcend genres, like Joni Mitchell does, or like Pat Metheny does. And she has this lush orchestration, tons of improvisational freedom. She really like all the great composers, especially jazz composer, she writes with her musicians in mind, so she knows, you know, when she writes a song, she's thinking, oh, Rich Perry's gonna play a solo and this this is going to feature him, or this is going to feature Ben Mandra on guitar, This is going to feature you know, the late Frank Kimbro who was her piano player for many years, who passed away a few years ago. And and so there's such this connection between the styles of the musicians. And by the way, Duke Ellington did that, and Count Basie did that. You know, they wrote for those musicians, Coody Williams, you know, they was written for you know, those those composers wrote for those people in mind. That was part of the sound of their band. But Maria Schneider's music, to me, it's so large scale, you know. She you might listen to a piece of hers and it's like a suite. In fact, she's written some of these suits and the places it takes you. It's just like this journey and man, I just disappear into it, and it's like, it's just as as much as I love listening to my eyes closed, I love watching the band play and watching her conduct, and you know, she shilled. Sometimes she'll conduct without her shoes on, and she's she's this very organic, beautiful kind of soul. And so it's just her music's phenomenal. One of my favorite songs in the entire world. And I don't often call jazz music songs. When I do that, usually it kind of hits me in a different way. But this is this track called the Pretty Road, and it's really long. The thing about Maria Snayer's music is you can't really get anything at it. Not that you can't get anything out of it, but you can't really do it justice with a thirty or a sixty second clip, of course, although you know you have to, but where you end up is so much different from where you start and the journey it takes, and I just think that that's just so important, you know, in her music. So yeah, she's one of my all time favorite composers.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we have two of our ladies left. Next up, born in nineteen sixty five, Terry Lynn Carrington Chelso, Terry Lynn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Terry Lyn Carrington. She's such a powerful force. So she's a Grammy winning drummer percussionist, and I love that too, because there's another feel that's kind of underrepresented maybe in by women in jazz, especially as drums, although some of my best friends and musicians are female percussionists. But Terry Lynn Carrington is this She's so man, is she powerful? I just love I love her music, and she's you know, she's an educator too, and she always advocates, you know, I feel like for gender equity when it comes to jazz performance and education. I think she's done a lot to help bring awareness to help women be more represented in jazz. But when you listen to her, you know, you don't just hear traditional jazz, but you hear you know, rock and roll, you hear R and B and funk and even you know, hip hop and and and a very you know, she has brings a lot of modern influence to jazz and at the same time really being a voice for women, you know, being represented in jazz. So she's just so great.
Speaker 3: And you recommend Money Jungle Provocative in Blue for listening.
Speaker 1: For Yeah, check that out, Money Jungle Provocative and Blue. It's very cool. It's very different than if I don't know if your listeners are gonna go check all these things out, but very different than you know, what you might expect. So definitely a cool track.
Speaker 3: All right. Our final and youngest of our women jazz greats. Born in nineteen eighty four, Esperanza Spaulding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Esperanza Spaulding. What a great musician. Yeah. So it's funny, you know, I remember she. I can't remember when she won her first Grammy, you know, years back. But Esperanza Spaulding has become you know, uh, she's she's older now. But when she first came out and I first kind of when she first came on the scene, you know, she I remember, she was very young and she just kind of took off. And I think one of the reasons that she's been so popular is not unlike Terry Lynn Carrington actually, but she really is blending more modern styles of music, you know, and jazz does kind of get sometimes a bad rap maybe as being old, even though you know, we don't think that way as jazz musicians. But you know, jazz is certainly not mainstream popular music like it was in the nineteen thirties and forties. But Esperanz's Faulding really brought in elements of also funk and hip hop and soul, and I think really helped resonate jazz with a younger audience. And I think that's not only been so important for her career, but for the genre itself. But at the same time, she's worked with traditional jazz giants like Wayne Shorter and all of these, you know, amazingly you know, amazing influential jazz musicians from the past. Also, ess Of Spaulding is a bass player, so kind of like Terry Terry Lynn Carrington, Uh, you know, not always what you might think of, you know, often we often we think of jazz women in jazz as being vocalists, and so many of them have been vocalists. But Terry Lynn Carrington being a percussionist, Esperanto Spaulding being a bassist, I think that's so important. I think it really helped women's uh say like, hey, you know that that could be me. And I think it really did a lot to bring women into to celebrate them more and have them more represented and instrumental jazz also Esperans Spaulding. One of the things I love about her is she's this amazing vocalist, and it's it's there's a lot of great vocalists who are pretty good musicians on an instrument, and there's a lot of fantastic instrumentalists who are really great vocalists, but there's not There hasn't in too many that are equal. I can only think of a couple that jump out, like Lewis Armstrong. I think of Nat king Cole. A lot of people don't realize, you know, Nat king Cole was marketed to be a vocalist, but he was meant to be a piano player. But you know, commercially they said, well, as a vocalist, you're going to make more money. That was never even his intent from what I researched. But Esbroan des Spaulding is another one. When you hear her sing, she's not a bass player who also sings. She's not a vocalist who also plays the bass. She's both. And what I find amazing is she does them at the same time. And you know, I've been playing the guitar a long time, and I struggle to sing. I don't really sing at all, but man is it hard to do both? She does both so well, it's like amazing to hear. And well we have a part of her sound. Oh you have a clip? Great?
Speaker 3: Do you have a clip? Yes? I know you know right? So yeah, so let's listen to Esperanza Spalding.
Speaker 4: Mm hm, so are you look at me?
Speaker 9: Why do you then looking tails me?
Speaker 7: Y'all have to sweep me dying on the botom?
Speaker 9: Why do you learn it before me? I see you're scared and convinced Bower, and I've tried to say that Dian was and that the last thing won't take me away. You are already enough.
Speaker 5: I love you.
Speaker 9: I know that's your loough. I love you non me away, though You're always gonna be with some question in the just because that was on them.
Speaker 3: Too soon. So well, the phenomenal bass and voice we're very much on display in that clip. Also, the voice stylings kind of reminded me a little bit of Ella.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think you you hear her kind of seamlessly use her voice, you know, her technique and her mastery in an instrumental way. You know, of sounding like an instrument. So yeah, I think there's a you know, there's that influence there. You know. One of the one of the things that always jumps out when I listened to es Franz's Folding is I think, you know, jazz is full of you know, jazz purists, right, and sometimes you know, my wife likes to call it jazz snobs. She's probably right, but and a lot of times there's a resistance to moderniz you know. Miles Davis noticed that, and that's part of the rea. You know, he alienated a lot of his fans because he modernized, because he was trying to appeal to a younger crowd, and a lot of the more purists thought, oh he's sold out, or his music isn't as sophisticated anymore. It's it's dumbing down or whatever people wanted to call it. But I feel like Esbron's Spaulding really is helping take jazz to a different place where there's a lot more interest, and not doing it in a way that sells out, and not doing it in a way that devalues it or makes it less sophisticated. You know, you hear such an influence there of soul and R and B and funk, and that doesn't make it not jazz, you know. I think some jazz purists will say, oh, it's not jazz. I mean, if you just listening to the piano, the harmony and the rhythms, and that's jazz, you know. But I think it's really important that younger jazz musicians are starting to do that because you know, sure it's great to if you want to just keep sounding like, you know, playing bebop and playing post pop and all that stuff is great you could set in your whole life, but you know, the music is changing and we want to keep it. We want to keep our audience engaged in it. And I think a lot of musicians like Esperanza Spalding have realized that, you know, jazz is not it's still jazz, but and we can blend it with these other styles that are going to bring more of a wider audience and a global appeal to it. And I just think she kind of struck that balance so perfectly well.
Speaker 3: Eric, you have a lot of things going on in your world, and I want to spend a little time talking about that before we end our program. So tell us what's new with Eric DeVito? What can we look forward to coming up?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Cool, thanks, So I've you know, I've been fortunate over the last few years to get some very cool funded projects through the Arts Council of Rockland and the Arts Westchester organizations and things like that, and I recently got there's actually two grants that I'm using to do a project. One is through the Nayak Tourism Grant through Visit Nayak, and the other is through ACRE the Arts Council of Rockland. And so I'm going to be producing a monthly jazz concert series and it's very very new in the works, so I don't even have one hundred percent of the details or some of the details I might and could end up changing, but as far as we know, we're looking to do it on the second Friday of every month at Mora's Kitchen in Nyack, and this would start April tenth, the second Friday in April. And I don't know if you're familiar with Morri's Kitchen, it's a great place. You know, it often features great music and often Latin music and Latin American music. So we're gonna look to bring a lot of Latin jazz influence there as we do it for sure, and I don't even have the exact time. It could be six to nine pm, it could be seven to ten. I'm not even one hundred percent sure. We haven't even nailed down the exact instrumentation. I can tell you as much as I can make it. It's going to feature myself on guitar, maybe some other you know. It might could be a quartet, could be a trio, different weeks, different things. We want to kind of see how it goes. So this grant, I'm very grateful to visit Nayak Inc. And Acre for having faith in me and helping me fund projects like this where we can bring a regular jazz concert series to the local community in Rockland County. And I you know, you might remember last year I was promoting that Jazz Evolution series I did, which was kind of scattered throughout the year. To go with this project is I really wanted to get something that was regular because I felt that, first of all, when it's something is occurring regularly, it builds up a buzz and it becomes part of the culture and the fabric of the community. So I really it was important to me that we could try to get something monthly, you know, at least, so that'll help people like you know, oh yeah, the second Friday, there's always you know, this jazz happening at this venue, So a place that to help it kind of become a destination that people can kind of set their calendars around and set their watches around. So that was part of it. And also something that's very accessible, so that you know, Morris Kitchen is a place, you know, it's family friendly, it's you know, we want us to do it at a time when we can you know, maximize how many people can come experience. There were still in the works we might add a jam session component to it where we can have local musicians come and sit in and jay and make it a place to just bring more participation and awareness and increase public's enjoyment and appreciation for jazz. So right now we're looking at Friday April tenth, and then every month the second Friday after that at Morris Kitchen and Nayak And there'll be certainly more information on that on my website at www dot Ericdivito dot com, and of course, Frank, I'll keep you updated if any of that information change as it's kind of like I said, it's very much in the development stages right now. We're hoping to get everything sorted out for April tenth when we start.
Speaker 3: Eric Tavito, we really want to thank you for being frank with us again your intelligent conversation. We really appreciate it. You work so hard, you do such extensive research. It shows and I'm sure our audience appreciation I know I do.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much. I always love being here and thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Of course, we offer special thanks to our listeners. They take time to give us a voice in their life. Remember, you offer a fresh topic just about every week. Catch us wherever and whenever you get your favorite podcasts. Check us out on the Hudson River Radio Facebook page. Like us and leave us a comment. Okay, two last little bits. Don't go anywhere yet. Eric, We're going to have you introduce your song coming up in just a bit. But since we spoke of Ella Fitzgerald and she made our list, I thought it appropriate to get a quote from her, and she said, just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do where there is love and inspiration. I don't think you can go wrong. Okay, Eric, what are we going to hear music wise?
Speaker 1: I think we're gonna hear an original composition of mine called Her and Him. I believe then that would be from my debut album, which from back in twenty twelve called Breaking the Ice. And so this tune is called Her and Him and it features myself on guitar, my good friend and amazing horn player Jake Saslow on soprano saxophone. I believe, Nadav sneer Zelniker on drums, and Moto Fukushima on the bass. And yeah, it's just an original composition of mine that I've always loved. I revisited it often and it's Her and Him. By the way, h y m n. It's a little play on words. The beginning is supposed to kind of sound like a hymn. The way it's kind of a voiced and orchestrated terrific.
Speaker 3: For our engineer, Neil Richter. He's the male man. I'm your host, Frank Lubono, and we hope to have you join us the next being Frank, We're the only way to be is Frank. Thanks everyone of the.
Speaker 5: B TAB back count first but.
Speaker 6: Very presentable.
Speaker 3: No, this is Hudson River Radio dot com.