Speaker 1: You're listening to wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST.
Speaker 3: HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 1: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Good morning, it's five o'clock on your wake up Call for Friday, May nineteen. I'm Heather Brooker in for Amy King. This week. You did it, Ann, you didn akay, So we are short a crew member today. A welcome wake up call. Crew member Kono is on his way in. He is rushing in, and guys, Producer An stepped in and stepped up and she I dare say, learn something new today, whether she wanted to or not. She's running the board right now. So Producer Ann deserves a huge raise. And of course Cono will be here in very shortly, so we're all excited to uh to see him when he in and welcome into work. We speaking of welcoming, Hi Will, Hello, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 2: I bet this is not Anne's first time touching aboard and it is.
Speaker 1: She's probably been around.
Speaker 4: It's not your first time on the board, Oh, she said absolutely not. No, all right, I got it. Well, I still give Anne lots of shut up. Yes, well, we have a lot of stuff happening today, A lot of news that we want to get to. But I want to ask people really quickly, how beautiful was the moon when we were coming in today? And it made me think, I wonder how many people listen to Wake Up Call Live, Like, are you also looking at the same moon that I'm seeing? Or do people listen? More people listen to it later on the app, Theheartradio app. If you want send us a message, we'd love to hear from you on the talkback button there. Let me know. Are you listening live in your car while you're getting ready for work, or you listen on the app. We want to hear from you right now. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. The new Pope has a hometown connection with LA Archbishop Jose Gomez. He is celebrating the historic rise of Pope Leo the fourteenth, and we're going to tell you why. He says, this American pontiff brings hope to immigrant communities, and tough choices are ahead at LA City Hall. Job cuts are coming and not everyone will be spared what some on the council are saying about the city's billion dollar budget shortfall. Newport Beach Police have released dash cam video of a deadly shooting evolving. Forty five year old Jeffrey Sterling, the brother of former Real Housewives star Polise Sterling, grabbed an officer's taser during a struggle before he was shot and then later died at the hospital. Ahead on wake up Call at five oh five, we're going to get the latest news on Pope Leo's first day as pontiff. We'll have more details on the two hundred and sixty seventh Pope and tell you what significance this pope has for Americans. At five point twenty, a new housing development promises to be wildfire proof. We're going to get a closer look at how they created this neighborhood and how it could change the landscape of housing in Califul, Wornia. Then at five point thirty five, Dean Sharp, the House Whisper, joins us we are going to be talking about one of the trickiest parts of home design color. From why your brain is to blame for that weird green wall or how to pick the right white Dean is going to explain the science and psychology behind every shade and if I point fifty, controversy, politics and a familiar face from primetime TV. President Trump has tapped Fox News host Jeanine Pirot to serve as the interim US attorney for DC, replacing a Trump loyalist linked to January six. We're going to break it all down and what it means for justice in the Capitol with ABC as Shannon Kingston. Then at six 'zh five, it's handle on the news. The US has agreed to cut tariffs on some UK goods, and the UK has agreed to buy more American beef and ethan all. We're going to tell you about the deal and tell you what it means for consumers. But let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The election of Pope Leo has been well received at the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: Archbishop Jose Gomez says it's a great day for America and the world. He says he looks forward to Pope Leo leading the Catholic Church. Gomez talked yesterday at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in downtown LA shortly after the announcement.
Speaker 6: I'm delighted to welcome Leo, the fourteenth an honor to placementphilia, love, and obedience to our new Holy Father.
Speaker 5: The archbishop says, the new Pope's experience as an American who served in Latin America gives him keen insight into issues facing immigrants. A Mass of Thanksgiving has been scheduled for noon at the cathedral downtown. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 4: A judge, we'll hear a motion today to remove the La County DA's office from the Menendez brother's case. The defense wants new prosecutors, but DA Nathan Hoffman and Attorney General Rob Bonta pose the move. Eric and Lyle Menendez are serving life or killing their parents in nineteen eighty nine. Yesterday we spoke with ABC's Brian Clark as the world watched and waited for that white smoke from the Vatican, and then just a few hours later, history was made as American Cardinal Robert Prevost has elected as the two hundred and sixty seventh Pope of the Catholic Church. Brian joins us again now with a recap of this extraordinary moment in church history and a look at what's next.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Brian, good morning, thanks for having me again.
Speaker 4: All right, So walk us through those moments after the pope was elected and we got this new pope leadership.
Speaker 2: Well, we were all watching the chimney.
Speaker 5: We saw the seagulls flopping around, and then all of a sudden, we saw the white smoke.
Speaker 2: So there's the excitement.
Speaker 5: Okay, there's a pope, but there's a more than an hour wait from the time we see the white smoke, knowing that the cardinals have made their selection to seeing the pope for the first time. So the drama, the pageantry, the suspense, it all builds. And then on the low show overlooking Saint Peter Square, the hobbais popham announcement and everybody is straining to try to understand the Latin that's being read, and you have to go back and watch it a few times. But nobody realized at first, at least immediately, that he was saying, you know, Cardinal Prevost, who was going to take the name Pope Leo. And then we became aware that it was Robert Prevost of the United States was going to be Pope Leo the fourteenth. And then we saw him for the first time, and I think we could just see on his face the emotion and the magnitude of that moment, it was really extraordinary.
Speaker 4: All right. So the conclave wrapped up kind of quickly. I think some people thought it might go a little bit longer. So what do we know about how the cardinals came to this decision so fast.
Speaker 5: Well, it maybe seemed a little bit quicker than we might have thought, but it was in line with what we've seen over the last few conclaves. It only lasted two days, so that's a little bit shorter. But in terms of the number of votes they took, remember, three votes came and went with no pope before they convened for that afternoon session yesterday, So that was about in line with what's been averaged for really about one hundred and fifty years or so for the most part. So it seems like there was a pretty quick decision from these cardinals. One of our correspondents was in Saint Peters Square actually able to speak with Cardinal Bow and archbishop from Asia. The cardinals obviously can't talk about their actual decisions or their actual votes, but he said that he kept saying very happy, and he said trump and put his hands together to signal a bridge and saying dialogue just about what perhaps a new pope can do in terms of relations with the United States government and relations with the global sphere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that will definitely be something to watch. And one thing we thought was really interesting too is in his first message, Pope Leo emphasized peace and unity and continuity with Pope Francis. Now, how is that being received both inside the Vatican and around the world.
Speaker 2: That's going to be the big question.
Speaker 5: Is this a continuation of what Pope Francis was doing, Is this a sharp departure from what Pope Francis was doing, or is it somewhere in the middle, which is probably the most likely answer. We were looking for clues from everything to what he was wearing this morning. Is he celebrated Mass for the first time. He was wearing the plain black shoes, the same kind that Pope Francis wore, not those flashy red slippers made by Gucci that we saw Pope Benedict wear, the more traditional footwear for a pope. So from those little clues he could try to get some crumbs, but it's really going to be in terms of deeds and what he does, what kind of priorities he sets. This is somebody who has done a you know, he's experienced living in Peru.
Speaker 2: He's actually a dual citizen.
Speaker 5: So that missionary work and that service work that Pope France has made such a high priority for the church, you would think that continues under Pope Leo.
Speaker 4: And quickly, before we let you go, what has the response been like in the US Catholic community to the first American Pope.
Speaker 5: Incredible excitement, especially you look in the Chicago area where the pope grew up. We're hearing from his brothers and they were saying that he was always interested. You know, when they were little, they would play the average child will play cops and robbers, but he would always be giving out Neco wafers'.
Speaker 2: Communion as the Eucharist.
Speaker 5: So there's a lot of excitement that it's an American and now I think everybody just wants to wait and see. People were hearing people who maybe went to school with him, studied with him. They're excited for him, and they're saying that the world will be excited as.
Speaker 2: They get to know this new pope more and more.
Speaker 4: I think even non Catholics at this point are just feeling a little bit of American pride in this situation, like, yay an American.
Speaker 5: That's absolutely right. You heard it from President Trump yesterday. I think he spoke for everybody. He said, we were a little surprised, but what an honor and how exciting this is for the United States.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really is. Well, Brian, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The chair of the La City Council Budget Committee has said that there is no way to save all the city jobs slated for layoffs. Councilwoman Katie or Aslovsky says, the council has to adopt a budget and there will be cuts.
Speaker 7: We will put together a balanced budget, one that restores key services to the extent possible and minimizes our structural deficit heading into next year, which will almost certainly be a tough one as well.
Speaker 4: The committee has worked to protect some of the sixteen hundred positions proposed for layoffs by Mayor bas It'll finish its work next week and then the full council will weigh in on the one billion dollar budget shortfall. Officials with the Eli County Public Health departments say new soil testing has found high levels of lead and other toxic materials at homes burned down in the wildfires and cleared by federal cleanup crews. The company doing the test say in areas of the Eaton Fire burn scar, about twenty seven percent of soil samples still have lead levels above California's safety standards. In the Palisades fire zone, it's not as bad, with three percent of samples from scraped areas and twelve percent of areas not yet scraped having elevated levels. A proposal by the Trump administration to cut federal rental assistance programs could affect thousands of people in californiakfi's Deanna Kodiak says the proposal would push for a forty three percent reduction for programs like public housing and Section eight.
Speaker 8: The plan aims to give states more control and proposes limiting rental assistance to two years for able bodied adults, focusing support on the elderly and disabled. Advocates argue this could worsen the housing crisis and increase homelessness, especially for minimum wage workers.
Speaker 4: Some studies have suggested minimum wage workers can't afford a one bedroom apartment in just six percent of counties in the US. The man accused of stalking Jennifer Aniston and crashing through her bel air gate appeared in court shirtless and wrapped in what they called a suicide prevention blanket. Jimmy Carwile faces felony charges, but proceedings are pause pending a mental health evaluation. He's ordered to stay one hundred yards away from Aniston Deny. The Dodgers are taking on the Diamondbacks in Arizona, with the first pitch at six forty. Listen to all Dodgers games on AM five seventy LA Sports Live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast Booth, and stream all Dodgers games NHD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seventy LA. Sports. Authorities are investigating a disturbing discovery near a SoCal hiking trail where the remains of a man and a woman were found with gunshot wounds. The bodies were located near a popular trail in the San Bordino Mountains. Sambordino County Sheriff's Department is treating the case as a double homicide and is asking for information for the public. Animal of details is asked to contact the Sheriff's department. A Sacramento man has been sent to twelve years in federal prison for leading a catalytic converter theft ring that generated thirty eight million dollars to Souvang, along with his brother and mother, purchased stolen converters from local thieves and ship them to a New Jersey refinery. The operation was part of a larger six hundred million dollar scheme. Vang used the illicit proceeds to fund a lavish lifestyle, including perchaeeing, luxury homes and vehicles. Twenty four Hour Fitness is offering discounted summer memberships for high school students. They say this initiative aims to promote health and wellness among teens during the summer break. Interested students can sign up at their local twenty four Hour Fitness club. What about interested moms? I would like to also sign up for that and at six zh five it's handle on the news. A federal lawsuit alleges UCLA Medical School is using race as a factor in admissions. We'll check in with Neil Savadra and we'll explain all about it coming up right now, we're going to learn more about Dixon Trail in Escondido. It is the first neighborhood in the US purpose built to resist wildfire, from ember resistant vents to noncombustible fences. KB Homes says they've constructed houses designed to survive the next big blaze. But with millions of Californians living in high risk zones, can this model be scaled up up? And who will pay for it? Joining me now is Steve Ruffner, SVP of KB Homes. Hi, Steve, let's just jump right in. Given that the homes in the Dixon Trail started over at about a million dollars, what strategies is KB Homes considering to make wildfire resistant housing more accessible and affordable for more Californians, especially those in high risk fire zones.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so that's the reason we did this project was a kind of a research and development project to understand the costs associated with doing the IBHS program in a high fire zone. These homes are actually even though they're in the like a million to a million one fifty, they're actually at the medium price for a home in San Diego County.
Speaker 4: And then does KB Homes have any plan to replicate the wildfire resilient design there in Dixon Trail into other developments in California.
Speaker 9: That's what we're using this project to figure out how we can do it. Obviously, we would only do this in a high fire zone, and when you look at the high fire zones in the state of California, those have grown with a new map.
Speaker 4: Are there any insurance benefits to living in a community like Dixon Trail.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So we're sharing this information with all the insurance companies IBHS and ourselves have been meeting with them to go over what the benefits of this program are.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure it.
Speaker 9: Will benefit the customers in the long term. Currently, all of our customers that have closed are in s grow do you have insurance? And that's a big plus a high fire zone, so they are able to get insurance at a reasonable price.
Speaker 4: Only about half of the sixty four homes in this Escondido neighborhood have been built, but they've already had their grand opening. This is also the first time that the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety has given their stamp of approval to an entire neighborhood. Joining me now to talk about why they give their seal of approval on an entire neighborhood is Ian Giamonco from IBHS.
Speaker 3: Yes, so the Dixon's Trail development from KB home is the first that meets our newest construction standard, which is our Wildfire Prepared Neighborhood standard. They have what's called the provisional designation in that space as the neighborhood is still being constructed, but the homes in that neighborhood have put together the best system that science can offer to make those homes more resistant to an approaching wildfire. So we can start really at the roof system. They all have what's called the Class A roof, which is the most fire resistant material. They have non combustible wall covers, they have double pain tempered glass, and then all the way down to perhaps the kind of the piece that ties a lot of this system of fire resistance together. In the first five feet from their wall outward, they have a non combustible area, which is that last chain of where fire can get to our homes. So that not only includes non combustible landscaping, but it also includes things like metal fences, so there's no bustable material that can ignite that directly touches the home in that five foot zone.
Speaker 4: Would something like this make it easier for homeowners to get fire insurance.
Speaker 3: So this is absolutely you know, with the insurance pressures we see in the California market, this is the path toward making sure you have the best chance for not only insurance accessibility, that you can get coverage. All the features of these homes also fall under the state of California is a Safer for Wildfire discount program, so there's avid incentives out there for homeowners.
Speaker 4: Do these homes come with sort of a seal of approval, some kind of certification showing that their homes are made safer against wildfires.
Speaker 3: So IBHS issues each homeowner, as their homes are constructed and inspected, will get a Wildfire Prepared Home designation. All these homes have our Plus level, which is the highest level of protection, so each homeowner will get that designation. All of those features that are associated with those homes do fall under the state's program that has incentives built in, and the neighborhood itself, once it is fully completed and inspected, will get their full Wildfire Prepared Neighborhood designation. As I mentioned right now, it's provisional. We've looked at the designs with Katie Holmes and made sure all those provisions were met, and so once that neighborhood's completed, each home owner not only will have their own designation for their home through the Wildfire Prepared Home Program, the entire community the Wildfire Prepared Neighborhood designation will exist there for everybody.
Speaker 4: Ian and Steve, thank you so much for your time. I think it's fair to say that these types of requirements may become standard in the future of home building in California. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. California and more than a dozen other states are suing the Trump administration over blocking offshore wind leases.
Speaker 8: Governor Gavin Newsome estimates offshore wind could produce up to twenty five gigawatts by twenty forty five, significantly more than the Diablo Kenyon nuclear plants output. In December twenty twenty two, five companies were granted rights to develop wind farms over more Obey and Humboldt Bay in northern California, at least twenty miles from shore. Attorney General Rob Bonta criticized the order for harming clean energy, progress and local economies. Dina Kodiak KFI News.
Speaker 4: The La City Council is scheduled to vote today on two resolutions intended to demonstrate support for state legislation that, if approved, would modernize California's film and TV tax credit program. It's part of state and local efforts to support the declining film industry as production has been affected by several challenges, including the COVID pandemic and actors and writers' strikes, as well as the recent wildfires. A new study on cracking eggs may surprise some people.
Speaker 10: Robert Francis Prevost has been elected the first American pope. He has taken the name Pope Leo the fourteenth. So Cal Edison has removed an electrical transmission tower thought to be connected with the ignition of the Eton fire. The twenty twenty eight Olympic opening ceremonies have been scheduled for the Colisseum and Sofi Stadium.
Speaker 4: All Right, well, that was a fun little recap of news stories from Deborah Mark. Thanks dev all Right, let's move along. Los Angeles is experience A brief heat wave, with the Inland Empire temperature soaring into the nineties and even reaching triple digits in some areas. On Friday and Saturday, the beaches will see highs in the upper seventies and eighties, and while the heat is expected to ease up by Mother's Day, temperatures will still remain above normal. Kendrick Lamar leads the twenty twenty five BET Awards with ten nominations, including Album of the Year for gn X and Video of the Year for his Grammy winning diss track Not Like Us. Ceremony is going to air in LA on June ninth. NBA Hall of Famer Paul Pierce made good on a bet after the Boston Celtic lost Game two to the New York Knicks. Pierce had vowed to walk fifteen miles to work barefoot in a bathrobe if the Celtics lost to get at home after their ninety one ninety defeat. He started walking on a twenty mile eight hour track across Los Angeles, documenting the entire journey on social media, and though he wore shoes instead of going barefoot, he honored his promise, stating I'm a man of my word. Then in six oh five, it's handle on the news. United Airlines CEO says, well, he's glad that there's plans for a new air traffic controller system that was announced by Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy, but he's warning more problems will be inevitable if we don't modernize the system soon. All right, let's dive into a topic that surrounds us every second of every day, but most of us still struggle to get it right. We're talking about color, what it is, how it works, and why your kitchen might look like a toothpaste ad gone wrong. Joining us now is our favorite design and Bill Despert, the house whisper Dean Sharp, Good morning.
Speaker 1: Dean, Good morning, Heather. Good to talk to you.
Speaker 4: You too.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you heard, just really quickly the last segment. I don't want to put you on the spot here, but about wildfire home safety. Did you happen to catch that at all?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 4: I just want to know. The segment was about this neighborhood in Escondido that is entirely wildfire proof, and it's been certified, and people who move there will get certifications for that. I was just wondering. And you know, I know you do a lot of building. You're helping people all the time with their homes. Are you getting more requests for wildfire safety and safety proof homes?
Speaker 1: Oh, my gosh, all the time, all the time. I believe it. Yeah, And there's a lot of misunderstanding about it, Betty, if you want to take a second, I'll be happy to tell you.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 1: Some of it is more overblown than what people think. And I'm very familiar with the neighborhood. You're referring to that certification, and that's great. I'm glad that they've done that. But I got to tell you that most homes only have a couple of things that need to be added in order to have that level of fire hardening. For instance, if you own a home in southern California and it's had a new roof on it anytime in the last thirty to forty years, then that's a fire safe roof. If you've got a stucco home in California, which well over eighty percent of the homes are, then that's a fire safe exterior. And it's just the nature of those materials. Now, if you live up against an open space, and you've got standard windows instead of tempered glass windows, then that's something that you can do. But I talk about this all the time. The most important thing that every homeowner in southern California could do to fire harden their home is to get ember proof vents. Because in a wildfire situation, eight out of ten homes that burn ignite not be because the flames have approached their house, but because embers have arrived from a fire that still may be like two miles away. So ember proofing your home, big, big way, goes a long way towards plugging those holes.
Speaker 4: I think that is so fascinating, and I think it is an area of home building in Los Angeles and especially Southern California that is going to continue to grow and develop, and I think, you know, it'll be it'll be interesting to see if we're going to see more neighborhoods like this pop up, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: And I hope so, I hope, I hope more builders take it very seriously. From day one and more homeowners asked the question, well, what more do I need to do to my house in order to get it up to speak?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Absolutely, And one of the things that people love to do when they're building a new home is pick out colors. Yeah, I am so excited. I love this topic. It seems so simple, but it is so important. So let's talk about just the basics. What what is color?
Speaker 1: Well, color is a mess, that's what it is. Everybody gets wrong.
Speaker 2: I know I do.
Speaker 4: I feel like I do.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I feel you. You know, I know your nightmares. I've stood in your All you wanted to do is freshen up the living room. So you know, you hopped in the car and headed down to the paint store and next thing you know, you're standing paralyzed in front of a twenty foot long wall of color samples, and behind you is a kid who pushes the buttons to mix your paint. And last week she was working at Forever twenty one. And although she knows how to operate the paint machine, she's probably received zero hours of color theory training, and so she's really in no help. And you know, you're completely overwhelmed. And even if you have a decorator who suggested a triad of colors for your home, you know, how do you know they're right? Do you even know what a color triad is do you have one? Do you want one? Is there a way to check? And then you know, you start feeling nauseous and you're tempted to bolt out of there, but you press on. You grab a few samples which seem, you know, know, kind of good. You head home, only to discover that when you walk them into the room itself, oh, they look awful. And so this is such a common experience with people, and there are reasons why, and that's what we're going to break down for everybody this weekend, starting with the fact that one of the biggest problems with color is that it's an illusion. Color isn't actually a real physical thing in the world. Color is in our heads. It's the way a human brain interprets different wavelengths and frequencies of light. And because of that, when you get one frequency next to another, the color changes and people swear they're like, I don't know if it's me or I'm crazy, but this color was different at the store than it is in my living room.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's absolutely true. Yeah, And so there are a series of steps that we've got to go through in order to make sure we end up with the color that we want because color is tricky, it really is.
Speaker 4: It is, And I want to share with you quickly my nightmare story. When my husband and I first got married in our house, this was a very long time ago. I'm very old, and we thought it would be so fun to have a bright kitchen. So we were like, you know what, let's paint it yellow. And we picked up this beautiful yellow color and I was like, you know, we'll accent it with like a darker contrasting color. And so we picked black and we painted our whole kitchen and we realized, oh my gosh, it looks like a bee. It was black and yellow, and we had major regrets and had to completely repaint it. So there is something to that where you pick out a color in the store and you think this will be great, and then you get it home and you see your actual homelighting and how it looks in your house. What I love this color? Here, this color? This question. If you're picking a color to keep the inmates calm in a prison, what would it be?
Speaker 1: You know, it's weird. Their studies have been done about that. It's pink Baker Miller pink akap six eighteen or drunk tank. Pink clinically proven to reduce hostile, violent or aggressive behavior. And if you think about it, like some of the shows that you've seen, if you've ever seen the inside of a prison on the news show, there's this weird kind of pinkish background in a lot of prison cells, and it is it's the ultimate feminine color. But it lowers blood pressure, heart rate, even affects muscle strength in males.
Speaker 4: That's probably why they put it in baby's rooms too right for little babies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. But you know, ladies, here's a tip. If you want to intimidate a man in a business environment, don't dress gray like him. Go pink because it literally makes him physically weaker. It does.
Speaker 4: It's our superpower we know about colors. There you go. I love this topic and I wish we could continue to talk about it more. But everybody is super lucky because they can hear you talk about it even more and all of your other expertise on the house whisper on Home with Dean Sharp every Saturday from six to eight am and on Sundays from nine to noon on kfive. Dean, you're the best. I always enjoy talking with you.
Speaker 1: Thanks Heather. We're going to be talking about color all Sunday long, so join us.
Speaker 4: We'll do. Thank you. All right, it's time to get up in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahue. Good morning, Courtney.
Speaker 11: I love it and I'm sorry. I'm sick today, so I have a head cold, so we'll see how I get through it. I sound brutal today.
Speaker 4: That is the worst feeling. I totally understand. No, and then especially when you're on a radio, then everyone's like, hey, are you okay? Yeah, all right, well we'll jump right in then for today. I love this. Pop Tarts are going to be going from your toaster to your freezer. I have mixed feelings about this. I love my pop tarts.
Speaker 11: Well, there's this new snack obsession that we're going to be seeing coming soon. Pop Tarts is expanding into ice cream pints and sandwiches. So the pints will blend ice cream with the little pastry pieces.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 11: I like that anything that has like a little bit of a crunch to it. And the flavors include frosted brown sugar, cinnamon, frosted strawberry, and frosted s'mores. Meantime, the ice cream sandwiches will be available in three flavors, the frosted brown sugar, cinnamon, frosted strawberry, and frosted chocolate fudge. So you can get them now at Walmart, and I'll be at other retailers down the line. I am sure I am going to be heading over to it, especially that I'm sick.
Speaker 4: It'd be so nice to have an ice cream sandwich.
Speaker 11: There you go, Do you feel better?
Speaker 4: I love this. Next topic, you know, we're gonna talk about Costco. Bill Handle isn't here today, so we'll have to fill him in next week. But Costco shoppers will soon have a monthly payment option. Yeah.
Speaker 11: So the warehouse store tapping a firm to let its online choppers pay for pay overtime for a transaction. So this has been helping a lot of retailers lately sell those bigger ticket items that a lot of people are having trouble affording right now with the economy. But Affirm is one of the dominant buy now, pay later companies in the US, and many people have been turning to pay overtime options instead of credit cards, especially as interest rates have increased so much so much recently, So this is a better way for people to be able to pay for those big ticket items.
Speaker 4: All right, pink slips coming to Panasonic.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the big electronics company the clients make are slashing ten thousand jobs globally. That's about four percent of its workforce. So it just shows you how big the company is. Panasonic says the layoffs are necessary to prepare the company for the next decade or two, so it plans to pivot to areas such as energy efficient power generation and data center power sources. Of course, this is what we've been hearing a lot lately from the tech industry. This is a great way for them to be able to move. But they're also building on its electric vehicle battery business and its home appliance arms too.
Speaker 4: All Right, Courtney, thank you so much. We're going to check in with you again on Monday. I hope you feel better over the weekend.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Well, we'll talk to you Monday.
Speaker 11: Have a great weeknd Happy day, everybody.
Speaker 4: Thank you, saining to you. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man convicted over a series of violent road rage incidents in southern California is back in jail on suspicion of doing the same thing in Hawaii.
Speaker 13: Nathaniel Radamac was released from prison last August after serving less than a year of a five year prison sentence for his crimes in southern California. The Honolulu Police Department arrested Radamac on Thursday, one day after the thirty nine year old allegedly assaulted an eighteen year old driver and her mother. Honolulu police say Radamac sped past the young woman, who was parking her vehicle at the time. He then allegedly exchanged words with her and violently attacked her before getting back in his tesla and driving off. Daniel Martindale KFI News.
Speaker 4: Shipping company DHL says it's planning to close a facility in the Inland Empire and layoff hundreds of workers. Its package handling center in Ontario will be closing in early July. Most of the three hundred plus jobs on the chopping block are for order filler pickers. A Los Angeles judge will hold a hearing today to consider removing d. A. Nathan Hawkman from the Menendez brother's resentencing case. The brother's attorneys argue Hawkman's actions demonstrate bias, including replacing prosecutors who supported resentencing and rehiring one who opposed it. The judge will also decide whether to admit new risk assessment reports ordered by Governor Newsom. Eric and Lyow Menendez are seeking reduced sentences after serving over thirty years for the nineteen eighty nine murders of their parents. The Pentagon has begun removing one thousand transgender troops under a new policy tied to a Supreme Court ruling and President Trump's executive order. Those diagnosed with gender dyswarphia dysmorphia must leave the military by early June or a face involuntary discharge. The move has sparked backlash from advocacy groups and renewed legal challenges. Apple has agreed to a ninety five million dollar settlement overclaims Serri accidentally recorded Prime to conversations. US users with Syria enable devices from September of twenty fourteen to December of twenty twenty four can file claims for up to twenty dollars per device up to five devices total. The deadline to submit is July second. We are just minutes away from handle on the news this morning, and things are heating up in Oregon, where a massive volcano is showing signs of eruption. We'll tell you where it's happening and what areas will be affected. President Trump has announced that Janine Piro, best known as a Fox News personality and former New York prosecutor, will serve as interim US Attorney for the District of Columbia. We're joined right now by ABC's Shannon Kingston for insight into what this appointment signals and the reaction is getting across the political spectrum. Good morning, Shannon, Good morning. All right, So let's talk about with you know, we'll start with the basics. How unusual is it for a sitting president to appoint a media personality like this to such a high profile prosecutorial position.
Speaker 14: Well, look, at least in this term with this president, it's not all that unusual. By our count, there are at least twenty former Fox News personalities who and other top employees at the company who left to come over to government to work for the president. We know that appearing on TV is something that he values, and having that charisma, that personality is something that he looks for when he's making some top appointments here.
Speaker 4: All right, So what does this move signal about Trump's priorities when it comes to the Justice Department, especially in a critical area like DC.
Speaker 14: Well, look, this is interesting because Judge Deenine does have a considerable level of experience. She was elected as a judge in New York's Westchester County in nineteen ninety and that's before she went on to serve three terms as the county's elected district attorney. But look, she wasn't the president's top pick for this spot. He previously had announced that Edwin Martin would be taking on the role, but he had to withdraw that selection after Martin failed to attract enough support from Republicans to clear the confirmation process. So that writing was on the wall, and that's what led to the President doing the shuffle here.
Speaker 4: So if we're looking ahead, what kind of influence do you think she'll have on any major cases in Washington and how will it set the stage in a way for the twenty twenty five election cycle.
Speaker 14: Well, her close relationship with the president, they've been closed for many decades. That's clear. That's something that's going to give him a lot of insight and perhaps a lot of control into the cases, what's on the doctor, et cetera. But there is a big question here on whether the White House will pursue the confirmation process when it comes to Jeanine Piro or if she is in fact just going to be an interim in this position, because that's what they're saying right now, just interim. And if that's the case, she has as only one hundred and twenty days really in the position before the White House will then have to appoint someone else or you know, they have to pursue the confirmation process, which is not at all clear that they're going to do at this point. And the President has really taken on a broad interpretation of his appointment powers. So this is something that could definitely be challenged in the court because the Senate has been really cut out of this process.
Speaker 4: And how are legal experts and lawmakers reacting to the announcement? Are they concerned at all about the politicization of US Attorney the US Attorney's Office?
Speaker 14: Well, right now still we're hearing, of course, there's concern on the left side of the aisle, but from Republicans the reactions still trickling in. Of course, not that many are anxious to go against the president. So really, we're eager to go against the president, I should say.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 14: Really, this is something that I think officials White House are still feeling out because it was a surprised that Martin wasn't aple to get the support from the right here, and it's something that caught the White House off guard.
Speaker 4: All right, well, we will be watching to see how things play out over the next few months. Thank you so much, ABC's Shannon Kingston. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Governor Newsom is announcing a jump in compliance from businesses towards removing toxic hemp products.
Speaker 15: The state's Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control says nearly ninety eight percent of all California licensed businesses are following emergency state regulations. Newsome proposed restrictions last September to increase constraints on selling hemp products to children. The new regulations require consumers to be at least twenty one years old to purchase the products. Tammy Trihello k FI news.
Speaker 4: Los Angeles is experiencing a brief heat wave with inland Empire temperatures expected to store into the nineties and even reaching triple digits in some areas. On Friday and Saturday, the beaches will see high in the upper seventies and eighties. While the heat is expected to ease up by Mother's Day, it's still going to remain above normals and be very, very warm. LA Archbishop Jose Gomez has welcomed the news of Pope Leo the fourteenth. Gomez says the new Pope's experience as an American who served in Latin America gives him strong insights on issues facing immigrants.
Speaker 6: Peter really understands well what is the reality of the movement of peoples and the needs for immigration all over the continent.
Speaker 4: The Archbishop has called for a Mass of Thanksgiving today at noon at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in downtown La. The World Video Game Hall of Fame has inducted its class of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 16: The Hall of Fame recognizes arcade, console, computer, handheld and mobile games that have had staying power and influenced the video game industry or pop culture. This year's group defender the nineteen eighty one arcade game that raised the bar on difficulty, the digital pets that bridge toys and video games, Golden Eye Double O seven, who's four person mode influenced multiplayer games that followed, and Quake, which debuted in nineteen ninety six with a three D engine that became the new industry standard. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 4: Ah, what was that ConA. I think Kona likes that game approve. Yeah, you got that. We have the Golden Eight Double O seven is the greatest?
Speaker 1: Is the best? Is the best?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, it's good to know. Maybe I need to check that one out. I don't know what Mark did there at the end. That was hilarious. I'm gonna have to ask you if he lost his name. LA rapper Kendrick Lamar is leading the twenty twenty five be Et Awards.
Speaker 2: They not like Us, They not like us, They not like Us.
Speaker 4: He has ten nominations, including Album of the Year for gn X and Video of the Year for his Grammy winning disc track not Like Us. The ceremony marking its twenty fifth anniversary will air live from LA on g Night. Well, I for one enjoy Kendrick Lamar moment, and I'm also very excited because Sunday is Mother's Day, Cono. You have any big plans for Mother's Day?
Speaker 12: Yeah, well for my wife, Oh, happy Mother's Day Mom, because she's probably listening. So I'll probably try to hang out with her on Saturday. And then my wife, I'm taking her with all the kids. There's a Pixar Putt golf in Anaheim, all fun, so we're gonna go do that.
Speaker 4: Well, that sounds nice. Will you have any Mother's Day plans?
Speaker 2: I'm going to the desert.
Speaker 1: I'm going to Palm Springs.
Speaker 4: Get there, you go, all right? No better way to celebrate Mother's Day, I guess than with a sunburn.
Speaker 1: You know there's a big Wango Tango thing on Saturday.
Speaker 4: That's right, beach lit little Wango Tango action. Well, I'm gonna be celebrating with my mom and my family on Mother's Day as well. And I also want to buy everybody to come see me at the Ice House in Pasadena Saturday night at seven o'clock. I'm gonna be doing a stand up show there. Would love to see some KFI listeners there and also abody from the KFI News team. Well, not anybody, only a few. Let me let me revise that Heather's funny. By the way, if you don't know Heather's funny, oh thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: That is the perfect way to end the show with a compliment for me. This is KFI and KOSDHD two Los Angeles, Orange County live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and technical producer CODO and traffic specialists Will I'm Heather Brooker, and we made it work today, you guys. I'm very proud of all of us. I will be back on Monday with your wake up Call, and then Amy will be back for the rest of next week. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.