Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and the kost h E two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy Kig.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Friday, July twenty sixth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. It's gonna be a big day Olympics opening ceremony. So stoked. I'll be wearing my red, white and blue. Actually I am wearing my red, white and blue. Go Team USA. We got Olympics, we got opening ceremony. We have arson attacks. We're going to tell you about that. That's making a mess of the train system in Paris right now. And I got to tell you that over the next couple of weeks, we are going to be giving you Olympic results, and we don't want to spoil it for you, so we do have a spoiler alert. I'm going to play it for you so you know what it sounds like.
Speaker 4: Borning Olympic spoiler alert, spoiler.
Speaker 2: Alert, boiler alert alert.
Speaker 5: Oiler alert.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: Whenever you hear that, Just know that we're gonna announce the results of something. So if you haven't watched the particular competition yet, we won't wreck it for you. Finally, it's going to cool down a little bit. Still hot, but no heat advisory. So excited about that. As I mentioned, lots going on, here's what's ahead on wake up Call. France's high speed rail network has been hit with what's being called widespread criminal acts of vandalism, including three fires set near the tracks, which has paralyzed travel to Paris from across the rest of Frants and Europe hours before opening ceremonies of the Olympics. Barack and Michelle Obama have endorsed Kamala Harris for president. The former first couple released a video this morning showing the vice president on the phone with Obama. He said that he and Michelle couldn't be prouder to endorse her. We're going to talk more about this with ABC's Karen Travers. That's coming up in just about three minutes. Ride share drivers can continue to be independent contractors. The California Supreme Court ruled to uphold Proposition twenty two yesterday, which allows Uber and lyft drivers to operate as contractors rather than employees. As I mentioned, we're going to be talking Olympics a lot. We're going to check in with ABC's Inez Delakatezara, who's in Paris for the opening ceremony along the sin for the twenty twenty four Summer Olympic Games. Jason Nathansen has what's new on the big screen, and it's expected to be a big weekend that's coming up before the top of the hour. We're also going home with Dean Sharp to talk about staying cool. And there's a massive convention opening this weekend in Long Beach. If you love Halloween, you're going to want to be there, and we've got a four pack of VIP passes for you to attend. It's the Midsummer Scream. We're going to tell you about that in like about seven minutes at six so five. It is handled on the news. I'm sure he's much better than his name, but El Mayo has been taken into custody. Wouldn't wouldn't want to get into it with him, but he sounds like Manny's. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Governor Newsom has asked local officials to start making a plan to clear homeless camps.
Speaker 5: The Governor's executive order direct state agencies to clear out camps humanly, but he's got no direct control over cities and counties. The La County Board of Supervisors meeting next Tuesday is expected to include La Mayor Bass and Sheriff Luna. They'll discuss their local plan to continue a regional response to homelessness. Newsom's order follows a recent Supreme Court ruling allowing governments to enforce laws banning people from sleeping outside on x. The governor says, no more excuses. The state has provided the time and the funds Now it's time for the locals to do their jobs. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: California is seeing its largest wildfire of the year. It's burning near Chico. Calfire's Rick Carhart says the fire has burned more than one hundred and sixty four thousand acres in just a couple of days. Thousands of people have been forced to leave their homes.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, we live in an area with a lot of brush, a lot of brass growth, and it gets hot and it gets dry in the summertime, and that is a recipe for fires.
Speaker 1: Carhart says communities in Butte and Tehama Counties are under evacuation orders. The areas haven't seen a lot of fire in recent history. One man has been arrested for arson for allegedly starting the fire by pushing a burning car into a gully. The Trump campaign is arguing debates cannot be scheduled until the Democratic nominee is official, even though President Biden was not officially the nominee at the last one. Trump communications director Stephen Chung says the Democratic Party is still holding out for someone better than Harris. Jung says it would be inappropriate to schedule a debate with Harris because Democrats could change their minds. Get this. Fast food restaurants around La can charge you ten cents for a bag. A city ordinance was passed back in twenty twenty three, or actually in twenty thirteen. It was amended in twenty twenty three to include restaurants, so now McDonald's and Chick fil A's and others may charge you a dime for reusable bags. Chick fil a says it's up to its franchisees to decide whether to take on that extra ten cents or not. Not getting a bag apparently is not an option. Right now, let's say good morning too, ABC's Karen Travers. So a little development overnight, Karen, the Obamas have thrown their support behind Kamala Harris for president.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is significant that she's getting this major endorsement as her campaign has finishing up this first week where she's been out on the campaign trail for states in four days. There was a phone call that the campaign out a video of where she's talking to the Obamas. You hear for the former president say that they called her to say that Michelle and I could be to endorse you and to do everything we can to get you through this election and into the Oval office. The vice president says, oh my goodness, Michelle Barack, this means so much to me. You know, the Obama, the former president, had been the most prominent Democrat to have not yet come out and endorsed her, and it was notable. Everybody was kind of waiting to see when that was going to happen. Not that he wasn't going to, but just why hadn't he Because you know, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, there was such a flurry of outpouring of support for the Vice president and he had put out a statement on Sunday but notably didn't mention her. So here it is today, and now the big question will be how much campaigning do they do and where do they go to be the most helpful for her and what that does to potentially rev up voters for her campaign.
Speaker 1: Well, probably anywhere they go is going to be helpful to her, right, Yeah, absolutely, He's still wildly popular.
Speaker 6: Wildly popular and incredible ability to turn out people for events. You have to think that also turns out people to vote. And I think it's you know, part of the message that we've been hearing from the president and now you know the campaign about the passing of the torch. He can put that message out there too, and you know, talk about her as this next generation of Democratic leaders and talk about what she will do for the party, but also tying her to still you know, the policies and accomplishments of the Biden Harris administration, which you know, we've heard so much in the last couple of weeks that as there have been all these calls in the pressure campaign on the President to step out of this race. That you know, Barack Obama's been very careful with his conversations with the president. That you know, he's very protective of his former vice president and the agenda and record of this administration. So I think he can be a very effective messenger out there talking about what they have done and pushing back on the attacks of the Trump campaign.
Speaker 1: Okay, and now that she has pretty much everybody's endorsement from the Democratic Party, I don't think there's any holdouts. She's out on the campaign trail. And yesterday I think I think this was very interesting that she and President Biden both met with Prime Minister Netanyahu, but they met with him separately, and then she was the one who came out and made comments after that, not President Biden.
Speaker 6: You know, I will say the President never does that. He rarely unless he's doing it with the world leader comes out and gives remarks after a meeting, we get to read out paper statement from the White House. But yesterday was notable to have her do this separate meeting and then come out and speak to cameras afterwards to talk about the meeting, which she said was frank and constructive. She said there has been hopeful movement to secure the deal for a ceasefire, get the hostages released, and she said that she told the Prime Minister it's time to get this deal done. You know. I think it's important to note that we had gotten indications from the White House last week that or maybe was even the week before, that she would likely have her own meeting with the Prime Minister, that the President would meet with him, and she would also have a meeting as she's done with some world leaders. So it was on the books before all of this political turmoil happened this week. Still, it gave her a very big opportunity to show herself at the center, you know, with the key player of a very big foreign policy for this administration and looking like a leader.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I still think it's weird that they met separately, but maybe that's just me. Karen Travers, thank you so much for the information. Have a great weekend you too, thinks. All right, now we're going to talk to Nick polio Kini because we're talking about something that has to do with Halloween, and Nick is our resident Halloween export export expert.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it works, okay, Export as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if you're a fan of Halloween, we have a place that you just got to go this weekend, and we just happen to have some tickets for you, and not only tickets, but great tickets. It's called a Midsummer Yeah, it's called a Midsummer Scream. It's at the Long Beach Convention Center. And tell us what it is because it's not Halloween time yet, but I know a lot of people like to gear up early, so.
Speaker 4: Right, and it's a thing in the halloween community, horror and haunt that's called Code Orange. And that's what you're seeing at Michael's or at Costco with all the Halloween stuff that's showing up out already.
Speaker 1: It's not even August.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, no exactly, and we'll think about it.
Speaker 4: Disney at the end of the month or at the end of August is going to be the kickoff for the Halloween season.
Speaker 3: But anyway, if you'll get to a Midsummer Scream Hall, Old.
Speaker 4: Shadows, Spooky Shopping, three hundred and fifty plus vendors, the Scream Room. We're from Horror Buzz, which has all these different films that are being screened. It pretty much takes over all of downtown Long Beach, and you have everything under the sun to be able to immerse yourself in everything Halloween, including some incredible horror franchises from Blumhouse and Lionsgate will be there. Paramount Scream or Paramount I forget what the specific Paramount branding is, but Paramount plus the streaming service will have all of their horror offerings available. There's meet and greets with Cassandra Peterson, who is Elvira. Also, You've got there's so much happens here. It's like you don't even know what is behind the curtain when you go to the Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center in downtown Long Beach, or even going across the bay to the Queen Mary.
Speaker 3: Which has some stuff underway as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Nick, if it's a three day convention, correct.
Speaker 4: Starts tonight six o'clock and then it runs through Sunday for all day long Saturday and Sunday.
Speaker 1: Okay, so meet and greets with some horror movie stars and three hundred and fifty vendors. If you want to do some early Halloween shopping, I'm going to it like close and make up close.
Speaker 3: Its decorations. Everything, it's decorations.
Speaker 4: If you're one of those people too that loves having a home haunt or loves really decking your house out, you'll be in to meet actual industry professionals from Universal and from Disney who will teach you. They have classes to teach you how to make some of those really incredible graveyard scenes or some really cool things from Nightmare before Christmas or any of those things that you see that are really really impressive when you're driving around during Halloween season. They actually have classes to teach you where you can make and take the items with you and be ready to go when you know, whenever you want to set up your display.
Speaker 1: So cool. And then are they having like haunted houses?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: So in the holl of Shadows are there are all many previews of what are a lot of the extreme experiences that will be happening through the Halloween season. If you're familiar with La Haunted hay Ride. Also, Dark Harbor is returning to the Queen Mary this year after hey hiatus for several years. We're going to do it's really exciting. Yes, and oh my gosh, they're really excited to have you. Amy just may never.
Speaker 8: Be able to leave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so okay, And then there's a couple of non spooky things. There's a pumpkin patchy kind of thing, and there's Yes.
Speaker 4: Which is from Paranormal Pixie. She's great are They are great and so much fun for you to go. Also Lovecraft, which is a halloween and horror music group. They will be premiering a brand new album and so that's really cool. And then your favorite thing is going to be the Black Cat Lounge, which is happening every year because Wake Up Call loves taking care of animals. This is actually an adoption event for you. And in case you need a break from all of the fun and screams and excitement, you can always kick back at the back of Black Cat Lounge and hang out with those kitty cats and then hopefully take one home for adoption.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's called a Midsummer Scream. It's going on at the Long Beach Convention Center in Long Beach this weekend, and what we have for you is four not to four. They're called gold Bat VIP passes basically get you into the whole convention all weekend long.
Speaker 4: These are early admission as well with that one, so you get in ahead of their general public, which is really cool, and yeah, it's totally worth it, and plus not to plug it too much. But on Sunday two thirty, I'm hosting a panel for the Queen Mayor, and with that gold Bat pass you're actually able to get in ahead of everybody else to be able to queue up and see me, or if you're interested in not Scary Farm or Universal Studios and want to meet John Murdy on that gold Bat pass really gets you into the immersed experience.
Speaker 1: So we have those passes for you right now. We'll take color number Lucky number thirteen eight hundred five two zero one KFI eight hundred five two zero one KFI or five two zero one five three four by the numbers. These are a four pack of gold Bat VIP passes to Midsummer Scream going on this weekend. Governor Newsom has asked for federal assistance to fight the fire burning near Chino that has exploded to one hundred and sixty four thousand acres in just two days. The fast moving fire started on Wednesday. Two communities are under evacuation orders. A man's been arrested for allegedly starting the fire. By pushing a burning car into a goalie. Now wonder people can afford to buy a house. Property values in La County have topped the two trillion dollar mark for the first time. County Assessor Jeff Pang says property values are up almost five percent from last year. Deadpool and Wolverine expected to slash records in its opening weekend. If it takes in the projected one hundred and sixty to one hundred and seventy million dollars, it would be the best opening weekend ever for an R rated movie. We're going to talk more about that with ABC's Jason Nathanson coming up before the end of the hour at six oh five. It's handle on the news. Governor Newsom has made a move to get homeless camps cleared out of California. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Innez de la Caatera in Paris, bonjour. Sure, we are, of course talking about the Olympics, and I'm so excited because for the next couple of weeks we get to talk to you every day at this time, so you can give us the latest on the competition and the fun stories you discover, and of course the all important metal count as we go through the Olympics. But this morning before opening ceremonies, there was this weird attack on the trains and that's got everything kind of in a state of chaos right now. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 9: So that is a big story on the security front this morning, this massive arson attack on the railway system. So according to the French rail company, there were a number of fires sent at different railway stations around the country. Officials say those attacks were meant to damage installations and destabilize the railway system. They are calling it a coordinated attack. In some places, they say at cables were also cut and it does appear that high speed rail lines were the target here, so even the Eurostar train from London, for instance, was affected. They're saying that in all over eight hundred thousand passengers will have been affected and they're expecting this to last for a few days. They don't think the rail network will be back up and running until the end of the weekend, probably next week. So it's certainly going to have an impact on people, you know, who were hoping to make it to Paris in time for the opening ceremony today.
Speaker 1: And as you know, I mean just some people come in and out because the train system is so good normally, or do people come to Paris and stay for the whole Olympics.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's a great point.
Speaker 9: I do think there are a lot of people planning to just come for day trips or you know, stay in one night and then head back. You know, we know that there can be anywhere from eleven to fifteen million tourists coming to Paris for the Olympics, but they did say that they're expecting the majority of them to be from France, French citizens, and so we're expecting those tourists to be you know, potentially planning short trips, you know, weekend trips, a day or two here and there. But yeah, so I mean, if if your train is canceled, it's certainly going to have a big impact on plans like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, well now, so let's move on to happier things. We're opening ceremony is tonight. It's going to be like no other What are we going to see?
Speaker 9: Yeah, the opening ceremony. So I'm personally very excited. I think it's going to be spectacular.
Speaker 1: But this will be the.
Speaker 9: First time in history that an opening ceremony is held outside of a stadium. So it was this grand, ambitious plan that they came up with, and I think there was a lot of skepticism. You even had the French presidents at one point saying that initially it felt like a crazy and not very serious idea, but they do seem to be, you know, close to pulling it off. So they're going to have both sailing down the river, said, right through the heart of Paris, sailing by all these iconic landmarks, the notredn Cathedral, the Louver Museum, the Eiffel Tower, and it's going to be ninety four both seven thousand athletes, three point seven miles of sailing you know, down the river, and all sorts of performances alongside that, so you know, we're expecting kind of acrobats and dancers and musicians. They've been I will say, they've been quite secretive about the exact lineup, so they do want there to be an element of surprise. So there's speculation that Lady Gogoth for instance, could potentially participate, but the Celine Dion, but Olympics organizers have not confirmed that they want there to be, you know, an element of surprise.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I know you have to go because and As is a woman in demand for the next couple of weeks all over the country. Do we know who's going to light the cauldron?
Speaker 9: We do not know. I don't believe. I mean, unless that broke in the last few couple hours, I don't think we know who's going to like the cauldron. We know that Lebron James and Cocoa Golf are going to be the flag bears for tm USA. We know that Snoop Dog is going to be one of the final kind of uh torch torch bearers. He's going to be part of that relay Tillards, you know, in the last leg of that torch relay journey. But I don't think we know who's going to light the cauldron yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, that's another reason to watch in Azila Kata with ABC in Paris. Thank you so much. We can't wait to talk to you Monday to find out about the gymnastics and the swimming and everything that goes on over the weekend. Have a wonderful time.
Speaker 3: Au revoir, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All Right, Okay, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom so excited that we get to check in with her. I don't know about you. I get obsessed with the Olympics, especially the first half of the Summer Olympics, because I really get into the swimming, and I love the diving, and I love, love, love the gymnastics. I'm not as much into the track, which I think more people are into the track. But so I'm sure I'm going to be on the couch because Simone Biles apparently is performing competing on Sunday. Okay, back to what's coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Brush fire west of Lake Elsinore has burned one hundred and forty five acres. It's fifteen percent surrounded, so it's still small, but it's dangerous one. The fire started yesterday afternoon near the El Kariso campground north of Ortega Highway. That road was closed between Lake Elsinor and San Juan Capistrano. Mandatory evacuations are in place as the fire has burned at least one building and historic leader of Mexico Sineloa drug cartel and one of El Choppo's sons have been arrested. In Texas. The Justice Department says Ismail El Mayo Zembada led the cartel for decades alongside Joaquin El Choppo Guzman, whose son Joaquin Guzman Lopez, was also captured. The FEDS had offered a reward of up to fifteen million dollars leading to their arrest. Both are facing multiple charges related to the cartel's drug trafficking operations. This follows the arrests of other Sineloa members, including one of Zimbada's sons and another one of Guzman's sons. A hitman from a drug cartel in Orange County has been sentenced to life in prison for four murders.
Speaker 7: Video shows the killers laughing as one of the men bled to death Orange Cainy, A daspokeswoman Kimberly Ed says Raoul Flores and others were trying to take over a two million dollar per year drug operation.
Speaker 1: Three men were left shot to death in a burning car that rolled down a street in Orange in the middle of the day, and a fourth man's body was discovered in a car in Fontana six days after he had been shot.
Speaker 7: She says, Flores Joe from Arizona with handguns and ak forty sevens in twenty fifteen, all to send a message from the Sinloa cartel. The judge Wednesday called it one of the worst murders she'd seen from the bench in Orange County. Corbin Carson KFI News.
Speaker 1: Many short term rentals in Dana Point could be short lived.
Speaker 10: An initiative has qualified for the November ballot that would nearly cut the city's two hundred and twenty short term rental permits in half. The initiative needed more than two thousand signatures to qualify.
Speaker 9: Most of the signatures were gathered by going door to door.
Speaker 1: The result was pretty amazing.
Speaker 10: Betty Hill, who helped collect signatures, told the city council last week she had overwhelming support in all five districts. The initiative would also require permits to be renewed annually so that locals could compete with investors in Dana Point. Blake Trolly KFI News.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers head to Houston to take on the Astros Tonight. First pitch goes out at five ten. You can listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Galpin Motors broadcast booth and you can stream all the games in ht HD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword is AM five seventy LA Sports. You'll hear things like Clayton Kershaw's return to the mound happened yesterday, exciting. The French National train service has been targeted by what's being called several malicious acts hours before the twenty twenty four Olympic Games opening ceremony. The rail services up to eight hundred thousand passengers are impacted by the attacks that are affecting train service around France and other countries in Europe. Video game performers are going on strike. Sag after says it was not able to resolve terms related to AI. The strike effects about twenty six hundred video game actors. It starts at midnight. The contract expired for video game performers in twenty twenty two. Clayton Kershaw made his season debut with the Dodgers, striking out six and allowing two runs and six hits against the Giants at Dodgers Stadium. He's been on the bench after shoulder surgery. Kershaw became the only player or the only pitcher to play for the Dodgers in at least seventeen seasons and ended his longest absence from the big leagues. Glad to have you back, Clayton. At six ZHO five, it's handle on the news. A man's been charged with arson for sparking the largest wildfire now burning in California. At five point fifty, ABC's Jason Nathansen has What's high at the box office. But right now we're gonna cool things down. Let's say good morning to the host of Home on KFI, the house whisper Dean Sharp. Morning Dean, Good morning Amy. So last week we were talking about cool things around your house, but this week we're talking about ways to keep things cool around your house.
Speaker 8: Yes, I would like you to stay cool this weekend. No, things are fine, but you'd got to stay cool.
Speaker 1: Uh me personally?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you and everybody else.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So how do we do Iteah?
Speaker 3: Well, you know there are there's a list.
Speaker 8: It's it's I've got about fifteen items that we're going to be talking about this weekend. But there are some things that everybody should know about staying cool. How about this one? Number two on my list? Letting the ac run longer at a moderate temperature. Way way better than setting it really low and having it start and stop in cold bursts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was thinking that, like I've been turning my AC. I just have a window thing, but I've been turning it on earlier in the day so it cools down so it's not fighting so hard later in the day to cool things down.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and there's like four reasons why most people would be surprised that there are that many reasons why it's a good idea to just have it running a little longer at a little higher temperature. Number one, it minimizes your power spikes. It actually saves energy. It sounds counterintuitive because everybody thinks, oh, when the AC's running right, the power bills going crazy. But the fact of the matter is the operating power that an AC unit requires is actually not that very high, especially when compared to the power that it uses at startup. When it starts. You know, when you hear it do that's whole like you and it turns on, that is a power spike that it draws that is hundreds of kilowatts greater than the actual operating temperature. So we really want to avoid start stop, start stop, because just like on your car, right freeway and highway mileage. The reason why city mileage is so much less than highway mileage is all the starting and stopping, all the accelerating at the intersection. Your AC is is a good analogy to that, so you'll save power by letting it run longer. The other thing is, and not many people realize that, but an air conditioner is a deem humidifier. Okay, Dehumidifying the air inside your house is really really important to staying cool because the drier your air is, the more your own body's natural cooling system, which is you know, perspiring. It's the moisture that comes to our skin and then leaves our skin by evaporation that cools us. So the dryer the air is inside your home, the more comfortable you will be, even if the temperature is slightly higher inside your house. All right, exactly, so you want the humidity levels inside your house as low as possible. Now, when an AC is just blasting and then turns off and blasting and it turns off, it may cool the air, but it needs time to take the moisture out of the air. So again, low and slow a way better way to go when it comes to that also the filter that's attached to your AC system. You know, indoor air quality is almost always not as good as outdoor air quality. It's true you would think, wait, we live in La what about the smog. No, no, no indoor air There's just so many things inside that to compromise air quality. So the longer your AC runs, as long as the fan is running on your AC unit, air is moving through the filter and your air is being filtered. If it's just start and stop, start and stop, you don't get as much air filtration. So those are three really solid reasons to keep it set at a moderate temperature and let it run.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned the changing the filter. How often do you have to change that to keep the air clean?
Speaker 8: Once every three months. Everybody should be changing out their filter every three months. And I know that sounds like a lot, but it's not for you. It's for the system, and.
Speaker 1: It makes the system run better if it's clean.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, absolutely. Air filters are not primarily for us. They are to keep the system running clean and strong. And if you have trouble remembering by all means just it's so easy these days you can go online to a place like filter by and find that you can subscribe to an air filter service. They're inexpensive and they just show up. You just set the frequency. I'd like an air filter dropped on my porch every ninety days and boom, there it is.
Speaker 1: You don't have to think about it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's the air filter. And you're like, okay, you have time to change it out and it happens.
Speaker 1: Okay, You've got like fifteen things on your list, and I know you're going to be talking about this weekend, so I want to hit just a couple more of them. And this is one that seems a little counterintuitive. When you're trying to keep the house cool, you shouldn't cut close off rooms because I know everybody does that. They're like, oh, close the door, we want to keep the heat out or the heat in. But you're saying, don't close off the rooms.
Speaker 8: Yeah, don't. You don't, and it actually hurts your cooling. It doesn't help. And here is why your system was very very carefully designed to blow freely and openly into every room in the house. It was not designed to have entire areas shut off. And if a system has been designed to have areas shut off, those cutoffs, those dampers will be on the main trunk line coming out of the AC unit, never at the end of the run where the register is in a room. So what happens is when you close the door to a room thinking, you know what, we'll just avoid cooling this room and that'll help the rest of the house, pressure builds up in there. Pressure builds up, pressure builds up in the duct, and that back pressure will eventually find its way all way back to the trunk line and start affecting the quality of the airflow everywhere else. So just keep everything open and keep everything breathing. Your house will do much much better.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then here's one too. When using a fan, make sure that you can feel it. What do you mean, I mean, don't you feel a fan when you turn it on?
Speaker 8: Well, hopefully you do. Hopefully you do feel a fan, but strangely not FAMI. I get calls and questions from people saying, you know, I had a fan running in the room all day and the air didn't get any cooler. And my answer to that is that's because fans don't cool air down.
Speaker 1: And they just move it around.
Speaker 3: They move it around.
Speaker 8: So this is really important to realize you can have a fan blowing on the other side of the room, but if you can't feel the airflow on your skin, it's not doing you any good. So a fan is on and it does good because it helps you stay cooler because of that evaporative process on your skin. It accelerates evaporation of moisture off of your skin. So if you've got a fan in the room, it's a great idea. Make sure you can feel the airflow across your skin. Otherwise it's not doing anybody any good.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then here's another tip that I just shared this with a friend of mine and I was surprised that she didn't know it, so maybe there are more of you who don't know it. But I have this great ceiling fan that blows. I mean, it's awesome and just get under it and it keeps you nice and cool. But there's a switch up on the ceiling fan. So in the winter, which like, she didn't know that there were switches. She's like, when you can reverse the direction of the fan, because in the winter time you want to pull the air up and move it down around and in the summer, like you said, you want to have it blowing down on you so you feel it.
Speaker 8: Yes, every ceiling fan has a tiny little switch that reverses the direction of the flow. During the summer, you want it blowing down so that when you walk under it you feel that airflow. During the winter, you actually want it blowing up against the ceiling because the hot air that you're heating the room with rises up to the ceiling and you want the fan to blow that hot air back down to where you are down on the floor.
Speaker 1: Who knows the switch? Like I said, I was. I think that I discovered it not right when I first started using a fan, But then I'm surprised that people don't know that. So hopefully maybe this was our public service for the day.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, and much more on staying cool during our hot Southern California summer with Home with Dean Sharp coming up this weekend six to eight tomorrow right here on KFI, and then nine to noon on Saturday. You can also follow Dean at Home with Dean. It's at Home with Dean, not Dean Sharp. Right now at Home with Dean, Just at Home with Dean. Keep it nice and easy. Thank you so much, Dean, Stay cool. Thanks Amy, France's Prime minister says rail attacks that targeted three main routes to Paris were aimed to block the high speed rail network. About eight hundred thousand riders were affected as the train system came to a halt in areas just hours before opening ceremony for the twenty twenty four Summer Olympic Games. Flames from a one hundred and forty five acre fire burning in Riverside County have jumped the highway, closing Highway seventy four between San Juan Capistrano and Lake Elsinore. Dozens of families have been told to get out as the fire burns closer to their homes. It's fifteen percent surrounded. Press Secretary Carne Jean Pierre has been pressed to elaborate on why President Biden dropped out of the race after he really didn't explain why in his Oval office address. Jean Pierre continued to say that the President wanted to pass the torch to a new generation, but refused to say whether the decision was based on his age or whether he would lose to former President Trump in November. We're just minutes away from Handle on the news this morning to debate or not to debate. That is up for debate as we head to the next scheduled debate in September between former President Trump and now possibly most likely presidential candidate Harris. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jason Nathanson. Jason, move over Inside Out. Here comes Deadpool and Wolverine.
Speaker 11: Yes, this is gonna be possibly probably the biggest opening weekend of the year so far. We're looking at maybe one hundred and seventy million, which would beat Inside Out two, which had the previous best of one hundred and fifty five million. But some think this could get to two hundred million dollars this weekend, which I think is a possibility. And it's definitely going to break the record for the biggest opening weekend of an R rated film of all time, which the original Deadpool holds from twenty sixteen with one hundred and thirty two million. So it's gonna set records this weekend because it is just it's it's great, it's so much fun, and it's exactly what you want from Deadpool and Wolverine.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of Deadpool and Wolverine.
Speaker 11: You got the fight scenes, you got road trip stuff, they're they're going at each other, they're having fun with each other, and it's also very, very funny, which is my favorite part of the Deadpool movies. I love how they break the fourth wall. I love all the just the edginess of the humor. I love the r ratedness of all the humor. This is the first one where they're under the full Disney umbrella after Disney acquired Fox, so they get to take on Disney and which is my parent company, and make some very funny jokes. They make a lot of jokes at the expense of Marvel, which has had some stumbles in its track record as of late after being pretty bulletproof for many years. So they definitely go after that. So you know, there are no.
Speaker 3: Sacred cows here, which I really appreciate as well.
Speaker 11: And you know, it gives the fans what they want, like I said, a lot of fight scenes, a lot of gore, and a lot of blood and you know that kind.
Speaker 3: Of stuff as well.
Speaker 11: And it's a course correction for Marvel, which, like I said, has had a few stumbles as of late. Main one of my main issues in it is the fact that they continue with the time variance authority and the multiverse, which I think is just I don't know. It allows them to do things like, hey, bring Wolverine back, which you may remember, Hugh Jackman's character died several years ago in a big movie and they made a big deal about that. And one of the things you can do with the multivers is kind of do whatever you want, so you can bring back a character, so there are no stakes, right it did, nothing matters if you can bring anybody back or do whatever you want. Don't really love that part about it, but otherwise, you know, it's just really good. Emma Corn is one of the villains here, playing Cassandra Nova. You might remember her from The Crown. She played a young Princess Diana, the teenage Princess Diana. She is so good in this when they let her in it. You know, the movie's not called Deadpool and Wolverine and Cassandra. It's called Deadpool and Wolverine. So she's not in I wish she was in it more because she really if she if they gave her time to kick it into like fifth or sixth year, she would have been iconic, I think. So she's really good. The rest of the sporting cast and there's you know, a bunch of cameos. They I think a lot of people have seen that they're going to be, but they haven't been spoiled necessarily online. So this is, for me an eight point seven out of ten, one of one of the one of the funniest movies of the year so.
Speaker 1: Far, pretty impressive on the Jasonometer. One question for you. Have have Wolverine and Deadpool met before this movie?
Speaker 3: They have not.
Speaker 11: Okay, in comics and things like that, Yes, and they are both part of the X Men universe, but no. So this is so, this is why people expected that they would and so that's what they've been waiting for with this, and the fans are going to be I think pretty thrilled by it. I was sitting next to one guy, you know, I'm I like this stuff, but I'm not. I wouldn't call myself a fanboy. I was sitting next to one guy who was and man, he could not stop clapping very loudly throughout Whenever there was a cameo or this person came on from this movie or whatever. It was a lot of clapping, a lot of like really hard loud clapping.
Speaker 1: Okay, so then let's move over from superheroes to super women. The Fabulous Four is also coming out this weekend.
Speaker 11: Yes, and don't mistake the two, because I think you'd be sorely disappointed. This is the latest in what has kind of become a genre of older women superstar actresses teaming up together for comedies. Right We've had Ady for Brady, We've had book Club, We've had some others and this one now features Bette Midler, Susan Sarand and Megan Malalley and Cheryl Lee Ralph who played four really good friends. They travel to Key West for a wedding. There's some conflict between some of them. Bottom line is, like some of the other superstar team up comedies.
Speaker 3: This was just not funny. But this is probably the worst of the bunch that I've.
Speaker 11: I look, I love Bett Midler, she hasn't been in stuff for a little while.
Speaker 3: She is way over the top of this.
Speaker 11: The only thing that I enjoyed about it was probably Megan Malaly, who steals most of her scenes as she does and most of the things that she's in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she is.
Speaker 11: But this is probably my lowest rated movie since I started doing the numbers.
Speaker 3: This is a four point three out of ten for me.
Speaker 1: Oh so yeah, it's just kind of proving that Hollywood says, oh that worked, Let's do it again and again and again and again.
Speaker 11: And I don't look, I don't mind that because I know, especially how hard it is for older women to get starring roles in things, and I appreciate them making stuff for that audience, make it good and trying that stuff, but they have not hit on the formula yet properly. And the problem is you only get so many chances before they stop doing it right, and especially putting it in theaters, which is I think it's an interesting strategy, especially in this time of streaming. I think they're concerned. You know, older people don't stream as much, so maybe they'll go to the theaters.
Speaker 3: But I don't know about that.
Speaker 11: So I get what they're trying to do, and I really appreciate it, but this movie is not it.
Speaker 1: We got good writers in Hollywood, write better, you guys. Yeah, especially for this caliber of actors. I love the idea of it. Like you said, it's kind of fun, but you know, they could make it better. I think, So okay, real quick, because I know we got to go. There's a new streaming bundle in town. Yes, the bad and the ugly about it.
Speaker 11: This is Disney Plus, Hulu and Max all joining forces, which is just would be unheard of a few years ago, although these streaming service didn't exist a few years ago, but unheard of four Warner Brothers, Discovery and Disney to join together on streaming stuff because they're competitors. But the thought here is that if you do this and you bundle them together, you're gonna you're gonna reduce churn, which is the kind of thing where people sign up for something and then they ditch it, Like say, say you watch House of the Dragon on HBO, right and you sign up for Max to get that, and then it ends and you don't have anything else down there, so you ditch it until the next thing comes out. But if you have three of these services together, ideally there would be something you're always watching, so you're not gonna get rid of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I have a question for you. If I have Disney Plus right now, which already has Hulu on it and National Geographic and some other stuff, is Max gonna be added into that? Or am I gonna have to go sign up for the new bundle.
Speaker 11: No, you're gonna have to sign up for the new bundle, and they're gonna be separate services. So you can watch Hulu on Disney Plus, but you can't watch Max on Disney Oh okay, they're separate.
Speaker 3: You're just paying for them together.
Speaker 11: Okay, gotcha, And you're gonna save about thirty five to thirty eight percent. I think for for my bundle, which has no ads, I was saving seven bucks a month by doing it. So you know it's it's not nothing, but it's it's not a whole lot, but it's something.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, check in it, see if it makes sense for you. Jason Nathanson, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: You're welcome to think here.
Speaker 1: Tout to you soon. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news. Y're in property values in La County of broken a record.
Speaker 12: The La County Assessor announced the twenty twenty four assessment role has increased by ninety seven billion dollars over last year. Assessor Representative Steve Whitmore says this marks fourteen years of continuous growth.
Speaker 11: The city with the largest assessed value growth over last year was Englewood at twenty point two percent.
Speaker 12: He says that's great news for public services, school districts, and the county, which will benefit from increased revenue. This is the first time the assessment in La County has reached the two trillion dollar mark.
Speaker 3: Chris Adler, KFFI News.
Speaker 1: LA Metro's Board of directors has approved sixty five million dollars to build upon its writer safety Pilot program. Board member in La County, Supervisor Katherine Barger, says the decision shows it'll take more than just adding police officers.
Speaker 13: For those that were concerned that we were going to have we were going to completely statuate just law enforce, there are things we can do outside of public safety that are going to help address this issue.
Speaker 1: Metro will we'll require writers to tap to exit at more end of line stations after first trying it out in North Hollywood. Taller turnstiles and smart restrooms will also be installed at select stations over the next several years. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kno along with traffic specialist Nick I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app