Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpback Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's you brighten your day, Lowe actually a lot so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: No prosce necessary, daily ripod where everybody lost in terms of conditions eating plus.
Speaker 3: Step into the world of power, loyalty and luck.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.
Speaker 3: With family, canolis and spins mean everything.
Speaker 4: Now you want to get mixed up in the family business.
Speaker 3: Introducing The Godfather at Chumpa Casino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world of the Godfather slot.
Speaker 4: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 3: Play The Godfather now at Chumpacasino dot com.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the.
Speaker 5: Fan vdW group. No purchase necessary.
Speaker 4: If we were premitted by loss, he terms and conditions.
Speaker 5: Eighteen plus.
Speaker 6: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking Killers in True crime History and the authors that have written about them. Gay Bundy Dahmer The Nightstalker VTK Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan.
Speaker 7: Zupanski, Good Evening.
Speaker 8: Much is known about American and European serial killers, but you do to know that more than one hundred and fifty homicidal maniacs have plagued the former Soviet Union during the last one hundred years. Nicknamed the night Creature, the urals Strangler, or the Belashika Ripper in their native motherland, these sex fiends have committed some of the most heinous series of murders in the history of modern criminology. This book follows the stories of twenty five maniacs. Unable to control their dark fantasies, they savagely tortured, strangled, stabbed and defiled their victims in unspeakable ways. Illustrated with more than two hundred photographs unearthed from the secret archives of retired police colonels, and forensic psychiatrists. Russian serial Killers Volume one Maniacs takes you on a true crime journey from the suburbs of Moscow to the frozen wastelands of Siberia. The book that we're featuring this evening is Russian serial Killers Volume one Maniacs, with my special guest author and publisher Nico kloe Welcome back to the program, and thank you so much for this interview.
Speaker 4: Nko cloeh, thank you, thank you for having me again.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much, and congratulations on this extraordinary collection of serial killers. Right away, let's go to how you came to this idea, the origins of this idea, and the origins of this book.
Speaker 9: In two thousand and six, I was contacted by a Russian journalist was working for a true crime magazine in Russia called me Criminal which means the criminal world, and so he wanted to interview me for his readers. The interview went free well, and after that, I you know, I've been intrigued by stories of Russian serial killers for years before that, and I had read of course about Andre Chikatillo, Rastav Ripper, but also about a few others like the Chess bob Killer or the Apopotamus, some of the some of those nicknames that we have read about in the West, but sometimes, you know, the stories that we had never heard about. And the crazy thing is when I mentioned my interest in Russian serial cullers, this journalist sent me a KDF with over one or your names with photographs and it was a list of all the Russian serial killers that he had listed himself. Was interested in publishing something in Russian about it, but he said that he didn't have the time and even told me that the Russian readers would not be interested in such a book. I was quite surprised, because, of course, as a true crime but you know, I'm always looking for new stories and I want to know no more. You know, the Chicken Tillo story is one of the pratziest serial killer stories I've ever read. And just the fact of knowing that there were like more than ninety nine killers similar killers in Russian history, it is mind blowing. And so I had this list somewhere in my comp four years back. In those days, I was working for French publishing company cale Camela, but my boss was not interested in covering those kind of cases. And it's not until last year when I created my own publishing company in English with English others that I've decided to dig up this PDI file and to start doing some deep research in Russian websites, mostly so most of them were written in cyrillic.
Speaker 4: I have had a.
Speaker 9: Friend who is fluent in Russian who happened a lot helped me find the right websites. And what's very interesting is that there is a lot of Russian websites which covered those cases like we have in the West. So I was able to find plenty of photographs that were never published in the West before. And most important for me was to find articles and biographies of each of those killers. And this is how this book came to life.
Speaker 8: Basically, you this is a volume one and you plan to have three volumes.
Speaker 7: Now tell us.
Speaker 8: Why that is. And the other thing is is that you say that there's one thing shared by all the killers featured in that in this book, and what is that one thing that these killers all share?
Speaker 9: Well, probably the thing that they all share. One of the things that they all share is that most of them they are totally unknown in the West, except for Chikatiro and a few others. But for me the important for us to actually give life to those stories, because those stories, I think that they deserve to be known, they deserve to be available to a large audience, and they deserve to be you know, each story it's totally different from the other, but at the same time you can actually see similar amos or I don't know, some of those killers have the equivalent in the West. And that's what I really found fascinating with those stories. As I told you, in this par file that I had, there were more than one undred names, and I had to narrow down for the purpose of a single book to twenty five because I didn't want those books to be catalogs with short bios. For me, this is totally meaningless, useless. I wanted to develop each story, and each story did at least deserved at least three or four pages. Some of those stories they cover more than twenty pages in the book. And I soon realized, of course that I couldn't, you know, put one hundred killers in one single book. It would be a one thousand pages book. So I decided to split it in threevolumes. The first volume is focusing on what the Russians called many Acts. This is the word that they have for this, it's thought for sexual predators. The second volume will be un cannibals.
Speaker 4: So the I've.
Speaker 9: Listed more than twenty cannibals in Russia, most most of them serial killers, so that's an impressive number. Of course, there's a chicken Tillo, but there's so many others that we have never heard of in the West. And this is the story that I am working on right now. And the third book will be focused on what they call the in Russia the exterminators, and for them, it's people who kill victims whould the thing deserves to be killed because, for example, or the sexual orientation, or because of the religion or the ethnicity. And surprisingly those are the ones who have the biggest bodycounts well, and yes it's incredible. For example, the chessboart killer definitely belongs to that category of exterminators. So there would be three volume Mender. The first volume, the book that we are talking about now and that I have released two months ago, is focusing on sex many acts, and as you have seen while reading the book, there's a lot of different paraphilias throughout the books that are shown by these killers, whether it be fetishism, the craffilia, bondage, s and m. There's an entire white spectrum of deviances, and I have found this to be extremely intriguing.
Speaker 8: You say that the one thing that is shared by all these killers as well featured in this book is their obsession for cruelty. Oh yes, yes, given that, let's go and go through the list of the twenty five killers, starting with Boris Goose. Then you call him the student Hunter and named the kills, and also the number of kills pardon me, and the dates that they the murderous reign occurred.
Speaker 9: So let's start with Bussakov, the student Hunter who killed in the late late sixties. He killed six women. Then there is Nikolai Shestakov, the luberrets Kimniak, who killed twelve victims in nineteen seventy five in the space of a year. We have Vladimir Saramia forgive by accent, of course, I'm not firenteen Russian. He only killed, well holy, he only killed two people, and he was called the Alexandrovski repper. We have Andrei, killer of women in red, so he had this specific fetish with the women who were dressing in the color red. He killed nine women.
Speaker 4: In the late late.
Speaker 9: Seventies, he was also killed. The kind eyed killer is quite quite interesting as a nickname. One of my favorites in the books in terms of story telling and the sheer BodyCount with nineteen nineteen kills in the late eighties is sgeiakhovs he Barashicai Reaper, also nicknamed the Hippopotamus because of his size. This chapter as probably the most graphic pictures in the book. Yes, then we have the cemetery maniac took an off eight killed during the nineties. We have Anatoly Nagi, have a very interesting one the Pugatcheva's taught he was obsessed with an actress and he killed women who looked like her. And he committed the massacre inside the train on the bodies from the moving train. It was a horriworll site. We have Eagle shar Natt, the evil spirit of calf healths He with four kills was working in military grounds. He was killing in military grounds. Have igle It Tilts show from Saint Petersburg the stadistic male prostitute with nine victims, an interesting case. Also after this we have sarg Ship of the vest Chickatillo let me just tell you about all those Chickatilo copy CAATs, because that's quite interesting. Right after the the Chickatillo case was covered by the media early in nineties, there was a lot of copycats in Russia and each were nicknamed the For example, if they were killing in the verse region they were, they were named the Verse Chickatillo. So ship of kills, for example, fourteen victims the late nineties, four five years after the last victim of Andrei Chikatiro.
Speaker 4: We are here.
Speaker 9: We have one of the most interesting cases in the book, in my opinion, and a totly slippo also known as the Honored Torture with seven kills between nineteen sixty four and nineteen eighty five. After this we moving to Vladimirmu Hunking, another Chicatillo copy cut, nicknamed the puppill of Chackatillo, with nine kills in nineteen ninety five, nine murders in the space of one year. Then we have body Cerebriakov, the Night Creatures, the night creature he was getting in the late seven sixties. And what's interesting with him is that he had a very swell ammo to Richard Ramirez. He would break and enter into homes and kill the person's while they were sleeping. It's a very interesting case. So it was not called the Night's Talker but the night creature. This also is really interesting. Then we have an Aatoy would kind Ood he had enough Kimmniac nine kills between nineteen sixty eight and nineteen seventy three. And Vladimirus of the boy Untwer five kills between seventy four seventy five. Vladimir vini Chevski, it's a really old case from the thirties, nineteen thirty eight, ninety thirty nine, and he killed eight boys. He was, you know, not really older than his victims, as a teenager, one of the youngest stereo killers in Russia. Then we have Nikolai Fefilov, the control in Nias Strangler, seven killers in the eighties. We have vasillequalic Ill Pusk Monster. He was a doctor who killed his victims in nineteen eighty four and nineteen eighty six. Very interesting case too. And now it's time to talk about Russia's most prolific sterio killer with seventy eight victims a totally crazy body counts. Yeah, he killed them between nineteen ninety two and twenty ten. His name is Mihael Popkoff, was also known as the Werewolf of Siberia or the Angersque Maniac. He was a policeman, so it was easy for him to actually leave no trace, no crew whatsoever. This is why he told so many people. Then we haven't Alexander Besilov, the night Demon or like could lets off the Balashka Ripper ten victims in between ninety one and ninety two. One of the most interesting now Selgei tash Pavlov had maniac also known as the Polovski maniac, thirty seven victims between ninety eighty and two thousand and five, or nearly twenty five years without being arrested. He also was a policeman. There is a lot of photos also in this chapter. We are near the end with the well known nepro Clovsk many acts. You probably have heard of them, because yes, they did a video of the extremely graphic senough video filming themselves where they were killing a homeless person with farms and knives. This was leaked and you could find those videos in websites such as aubridge dot com.
Speaker 4: Back in those.
Speaker 9: Days, they killed twenty one homeless people in the space of two months in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 4: Incredible, incredible, incredible.
Speaker 9: So that's not the last case in the book. The last case is actually back to your Matya Kubov, also known as the who'sbeg Chickachillo, another really interesting case. It was nicknamed the Maniac in White Gloves because it would always wear white gloves while committee his crimes. So, yes, this is the list of the twenty five killers that are featured in this book. Most of those killers or most of those cases are illustrated by dozens of photos. I tried to write the definitive book on those cases. It has never been done before, and I wanted to these series of books to be the the reference on the subject.
Speaker 8: Before we start going and specifically exploring the specifics of some of these other some of these crimes from these killers, because are quite interesting as the case studies themselves. You explained to and you touched on it in terms of the government and the police not acting like we had seen the golden age of serial killers treated in America with the media all a frenzy. So, as you write in the book, explain the situation in Russia in terms of the politics and the media and their attitude towards admitting that there was a problem and there were serial killers in Russi.
Speaker 9: So alf of the cases that I cover in this book were committed before eighty nine. As you know, nineteen eighty nine was the date when Soviet Empire collapsed, and it was also the year when the crimes of a chickatillo became to receive international coverage. What was happening during the Soviet period. There was a lot of crimes, of course, and what's surprising is that there was as many crimes serial murders in the USSR then in America at the same time in the seventies, in the sixties. There's even serialties in the thirties in Russia. But those crimes were deliberately not talked about. When the police would find out that they had a serial the louse in the province or in the local town, they would alert the higher authorities, but they would not communicate to the press. So all those cases they that just would not be covered by the national press at all. You must understand that crime in general and cerial murder, of course, were considered as typically Western evils. Those kinds of things were not supposed to happen in the Soviet the Soviet Republic. So when a case implying several murders and sex murders was investigated by the local police, they would, first of all, they would try to find as soon as possible a possible suspect. They would torture the suspect until he would confess to the crimes, even if it was nowhere near the crime scenes, and then they would say, okay, we've got, you know, the suspect. We've got the person who's guilty. He was sent to prison, usually killed before he would even go on trial, and they would try to just you know, cover the case. And it's only when local people would find out that there would be other victims in their community that they will actually not call the local police because they did not even trust them anymore. So they would try to alert the higher instances that the people at the Soviet party were, you know, above the police bureaucracy of the local town.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 9: So this is why those crimes they were just put on the carpet. They were they were locked inside a cupboard. There were skeletons in the closet basically of the Russian regime, and when the Soviet Union collapsed, journalists began to have access to police archives and they found out that there was a lot of cases that they had never heard about before. So they began to cover those cases. And it is when they began to publish through Prime magazine detective magazines, which most of them were created in the nineties, and they would cover those cases. But at the same time it still was not still was considered as something that was typically Western and American words themselves here and killer was never used when covering those cases. They would talk about maniacs. That's the word that they liked when describing those kinds of cases. Chikatillo. Of course, it was impossible to cover the case the case I mean, so this is when they actually began to talk about to cover the cases when it was impossible to hide anymore. This is when they covered such cases as the chessboard killer or Theopopotamus, because there were so many victims that it was just impossible to hide.
Speaker 8: What's fascinating, and I spoke too, is that I've read numerous accounts of the police overreach and overstepping and using the third degree before Miranda warnings legislation in America. But this book is right with wrongful conviction by virtue of wrongful confessions, by virtue of outright torture and beatings of suspects.
Speaker 9: Yes, police brutality at it's worse, and they would even pay convicts inside the prisons to actually kill suspects for them so that there would.
Speaker 4: Be no trial.
Speaker 9: It was easier for them, and this was their way to hide the failure as an investigate team. So yes, it was really hard times. For example, when we're talking about murders in the gay community, of course they would target people who were considered by the state as enemies of the state because of the sexual orientation. There were some innocent people who ended up in jail or were killed because they were only accused. It's a sad reality, but that's definitely what used to happen in those days in the Soviet Republic.
Speaker 8: And let's use this as an opportunity to stop for a second to hear from our sponsor, which is Skylight Frames. The holidays are just around the corner. Looking for a good gift, idea that your parents are in laws will genuinely love. It's hard to find meaningful gifts for family members, especially parents and grandparents who seem to have everything well. Skylight is the perfect gift. My parents love this Skylight Frame. My daughter sends them photos of her and her fiance's travels, and my brother and his sons send photos from all over the country. Skylight Frame is a photo frame you can update instantly by email from anywhere. Sending photos to skylight is effortless. Everyone in the family can use the app or just email them to the skylight and they'll pop up in seconds. It's timeless, black frame with a white mat adds a beautiful touch to your home. Choose from two size options, either the original ten inch or new large fifteen inch frame. It's so simple that even my non tech savvy mom and dad could set it up and use it. Now as a special offer, you can get fifteen dollars off your purchase of a Skylight frame when you go skylight frame dot com and intercode shocking.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 8: To get fifteen dollars off your purchase of a Skylight frame, just go skylight Frame dot com, enter code shocking. That's sky l I g h t fr ame dot com code shocking. Now, Nico, I want to use this opportunity to explore some of the stories of the twenty five incredible serial killers that you feature in this collection, just to demonstrate the uniqueness and some of the parallels that we think that are unique. Well, some of the things that we think are unique and exclusive to American serial killers as legendary one that we regard the golden age of serial killing. These Russian serial killers, these counterparts have bizarre and extraordinary parallels with some of the most famous and legendary serial killers in American and world true crime history. So let's go through just a few of those. But I wanted to talk about Anatotly slipco And whose nickname is the Honored Torturer or the counselor Ripper's talk a little bit by him.
Speaker 9: It is one of the most bizarre casy featured in the book.
Speaker 4: Different It's a case that I had.
Speaker 9: Never heard about. I had heard rumors about Russian serio curers who was filming snuff movies, but had never had a name before. And it's only when I covered the kids that I realized that this was the one. This was actually the Russian serial curios was actually filming uh his own murders. And the craziest thing about it is that it happened in the sixties, So there is a little bit of we have to cover. Is the thing that sparked his fantasy life, because it's really interesting. So let me get back to the book for the specific details you write it.
Speaker 8: In nineteen sixty one, while he was in the Far East, he witnessed an accidental death of a man who crashed his motorbike and he had hit several teams with the motorcycle and injured one and one died right on the spot.
Speaker 4: Tell us what he experienced exactly.
Speaker 9: So when this happened, he was sexually aroused, so it was the beginning of his sex life. And he later recalled the accident. He said the boy had experienced conversions in his death throws as the smell of gasoline and fire permeiliated. Yeah, what was really specific the boy that he had seen die before that this boy was in a boy scout uniform. So Russia, well, the Soviet Union had its own system of boy Scouts and they had a specific uniform with the tie and special shoes. And when sleeve Kore became an adult, he managed to find a job as a counselor in a youth club, one of the local chapters of the Boy Scouts, and this is when he decided to film some of his pupils playing re enactments war re enactments. So there were little short films where he told them to basically play, for example, the German invaders. Other kids would play the Russian, the Russian enemies, and sometimes he would stay executions, which is quite concerning, and knowing that those kids were some of the more fourteen fifteen, even younger than that, and he would actually film them a noose around their neck and staging fack executions. He would film them that, but soon this was not enough frame because he wanted to relieve this very first incident that he had a witnessed. So he would take them one by one and he would tell them to reenact those execution scenes, except that this time he would actually strangle them with the rope or drown them or kill them with ropes and several torture instruments. All this was shot on sixteen millimeters. When the police actually arrested him, they found those reels and they found out that he had killed we'll tell you the exact number. He had killed seven young boys between nineteen sixty four and nineteen eighty five. So what probably the most terrifying thing this murder case is the actually find photographs, photographs, stills of those snuff films online. And I yeah, even have heard of people who have seen those films. Of course that they suffered from pits after watching those films, sure, because they were extremely intense. But yes, some of those skills you can actually still find them. Slip Co was arrested and they found many uniforms inside the use club. It's definitely a very bizarre case, not only because the fact that he had this very specific fantasy life, also the fact that he was using the system and his position as a counselor of the boy scouts les victims into his own fantasy work. And yes, that's what really intrigued me about the case.
Speaker 8: It's interesting that he conducts these films and gets these kids to put a news around their neck, and a lot of them, you write, most of them have some sort of amnesia from the experience.
Speaker 7: They don't even.
Speaker 8: Really know what exactly happened, and then he masturbates over them, films them in all kinds of bizarre poses. You say that this occurred for twenty two years, he filmed forty three boys, but so he killed only seven. But there was you say that that urge that he had to relive that experience with the accident, and so then he would kill and dismember these young boys and pour gasoline on the remains and light them on fire to relive the fatal car accident he had witnessed. And that's when you write when again, it's always a cliche, the hardened detective. But when they actually saw the films that this guy made, they made an extraordinary statement in your book that you quote that there was no and in effect, what he said was there was no horror movie author that could come anywhere near what he had seen and what he had experienced watching, watching, watching those films totally.
Speaker 9: The fact that he committed all those crimes for so long, and the fact that his fantasy life was so specific. You also add this thing which shoes would cut their shoes in half because of this car accident that he had witnessed, he had seen blood splattering the shoes. He wanted to recreate this image of blood on Chinese shoes. It was extremely specific in terms of the psychiatry, psychology. It's a very unique case, very unique case. It reminded me a kind of reminding me of Jerry Brudos foot Fetish pod. But yeah, the fact that the detectives were so shocked by the videos themselves, it tells your own Yeah.
Speaker 8: You say that too, that they discovered the killer diary and where he talks about trying to attempt to try to control the urges, but that they overcame him. But he did say about the recordings that he made. He said he didn't want people to see the videotapes. He said the recording is disgraceful for the human race. He says, it can't be washed away or forgotten, and he said, I'm scared that other people will watch it. So it gave him some incredible kind of insight to his own mania.
Speaker 9: He's even said that if you ever watch those taps, we regret it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, it's crazy.
Speaker 9: But at the same time he was reminding them that he was they were actually arresting a deputy of the city council, So his teer was holding on his position as a respectable member of the Soviet Party, which is reminiscent of a Chikatiro was also a prominent member of the Soviet parties at the same time as this fact of being discovered, but was still clenching on his position as a respect from member of the community.
Speaker 8: She's amazing you mentioned Chatillo, and that comes up in this story as well as because very much reminiscent of the fictitious movie Silence of the Lambs and Claras Starling as you write that he was asked this killer was asked for his cooperation and his to help police in their investigation of Andre Chikatilo. Very very interesting.
Speaker 9: Yes, he was visited the investigators of the case. They were hoping that he would help them understand the psychology Chichio, but what he gave them could not be used for the actual investigations. So yes, it was us.
Speaker 8: I said, yen, Yes, let's talk about and discuss Sergei tak my mispronouncing his.
Speaker 4: Name, And yes, he talked the Pablo grad maniac.
Speaker 8: And you talk about in this case background as you do of all of these perpetraates. The one thing I found that's almost common thread through almost the twenty five stories is that many of these perpetrators in the beginning when they were young, they were sickly, they were timid, they were anti social or unsociable or bullied. That kind of portrayal of almost all of these killers seemed to be that they were in that unenviable situation or position when they were young.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, Cash was also a victim of a bullying because he was physically weak. He had to undergo treatment. He had to see a psychiatrists because of it. So we engaged in weightlifting to gain some muscle, trying to gain some confidence. He really was involved into sports, but he had a sports injury, so he had to end his career in sports, so he chose instead to join the army. So Liter only eventually became a police officer and even investigating his own primes. So that's one of the crazy things about those kinds of cases. Yeah, he was extremely probably the syracuity thirty seven victims.
Speaker 8: You say too that he started off working for the police, but of course he gravitated towards being a forensic expert, which helped him in all his investigations and helped him compete with fellow his fellow colleagues policemen.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he had access to top secret materials and he would read them all, read all the cases. He would try to find out about how criminals usually get arrested, so he could, you know, improve his technique, his murdered techniques.
Speaker 8: You're right too, that did he was perpetrating, and he had left a gray hair on one of his thirteen year old victim, but the police ignored that evidence and framed an innocent person that didn't even have gray hair, you right. And again what we mentioned already about how that confession came about through a beating, and so despite them having thinking that they have this perpetrator behind bars, the killings continued, didn't they.
Speaker 9: Exactly, and then threatened the dismant to kill his own daughter.
Speaker 4: This is why he confessed.
Speaker 9: You can imagine police officers trying threatening to kill members of your family. So this man was terrorized and he had no other option than to confess. So, yes, those kinds of cases that they're really typical of what was going on back in those days in Russia concerning those type of crimes.
Speaker 8: You're right that this man was distraught from being accused of this murder of his daughter, and obviously the murder of his daughter contributed to this, and he committed suicide in his cell. And then after that the villagers weren't still satisfied. They released the anger on this person's wife and set her house on fire numerous times, and she lost her job and lost her career, and so again there was still he continued killing and nobody making the connection that this perpetrator was on the loose, as you say, for many conditions in terms of the media not being informed, the police not wanting to admit, and certainly any politician not wanting to admit that there was anything awry going on.
Speaker 9: They would never a knit they had failed because it was a very hierarchic organization. There was always the fear of an ecope in jail because you were bad investigator. Basically, this is why they tried to frame so many people for those models.
Speaker 8: Yes, you're right that over ten people were accused and convicted wrongfully accused and sent to prison of ten people, and it's extraordinary, and as you're right, not one policeman was ever reprimanded or lost their job as a.
Speaker 9: Result, exactly because that would be bad press for the system in those countries, in these community systems, it was also it was always a case of sacrificing the individuals for the.
Speaker 4: Party, the sake of the party.
Speaker 9: So this is why they even though they knew that they had the wrong suspect, then we do everything to have them in jail or killed before their trial so that they would think that the case would be caused, and even if the real killer was still killing again, they would blame it on another killer and not admit that it was the same person committing those crimes over and over again.
Speaker 5: With Lucky landslops, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got a clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky thy for.
Speaker 5: Free at Lucky landslipes dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 8: This Pablo grad maniac like parallels to the most infamous serial killers in America. To add to this incredible story, he attends the funeral and there someone recognizes him from the last attack where the students had been swimming, and he used it as an opportunity to attack this nine year old and she survived. And so soon after, because he was recognized, and because he was foolish enough and audacious enough to attend the funeral of his last victim, he was arrested.
Speaker 7: And then, as you right, soon after.
Speaker 8: As many of these perpetrators, almost all of them, they soon confess seemingly willingly and cooperate with the authorities. He draws an accurate map of where his crimes occurred. But then you find out, as we as you mentioned, what the motivation for all of this murder. Maybe not primarily, but quite a bit. The motivation for these murders was what concerning his colleagues.
Speaker 9: Oh, you wanted to get even at his coregian and show them that he was better than them. You wanted to prove them that by killing people it would it would it was smart than his college. That's a really weird way of trying to prove it. At the same time, that's what his logic was.
Speaker 8: He also compared himself to again Chickatillo and said, just like Chicatillo, I'm a beast.
Speaker 4: I'm not a man, I'm a beast.
Speaker 8: And then again, very much like these infamous characters in the US, the story doesn't end as well because now you read about this forum, the fantasy forum that these Russian girls and Ukrainian girls and women are interested in. It's called the World of Maniacs tell us.
Speaker 9: That was fascinating when I found out this underground community that they have in Russia, because we have similar things in Europe and the US, of course, as what hybristophelia, which is the attraction sexual attraction to criminals. Of course, when you look at people like Ted Bundye of rich room areas and the number of groupees that would write when they were in prison, it's something that I thought was only up the West. When I did my research on this specific case, I found out that there was this community online community with groupies trying to not only write criminals, but also trying to marry them. Some kind of weird competition between each other, between who will be the first to marry this or that very famous criminals that's in the news. It's extremely weird. In the case of a couch, it was a really younger woman who was at least thirteen years younger than him, and she even posted itselfies of herself on the murther's side with other fans of this serial killer. And she married him in jail, and she even had a son with him, which is even weirder.
Speaker 7: Yes, absolutely the story.
Speaker 8: Again, it shares some characteristics, but then really does outdo almost any other profile I've heard of a serial killer, so very very interesting serial killer, one of the very very fascinating ones that you have featured in this book. Let's talk about before I let you go, the Sergei Rykakowski or the Balashka Ripper from eighty eight. He operated to nineteen ninety three, and his nickname was the Hippopotamus because of his huge size.
Speaker 9: Beside of his huge frame, he would kill in the pouch, much like the chess boat killer. He would especially target homosexuals. He had a natred towards gay people because of his own insecurity, and he would also target homeless people. There was a lot of mutilation involved in those crimes, a lot of hatred, and I would compare his attacks to the crimes of Peter Sarcliffe in a way because of the brutality of the crimes and of blunt trauma mutilation, his embowlment. He killed nineteen people. Notable thing about this killer is the fact that he had he wrote a novel during the crime, a very strange sci fi novel that was used during his trial for the insanity pleague. But yes, he was convicted and sent to life to prison and he died in two thousand and seven of tuber closes like many Russian prisoners, this kind of disease, we are widespread in Russian prisons.
Speaker 7: You write it well.
Speaker 8: He claimed that he had a hatred for gays from being raped in prison after he had obviously raped older women. And what he also did was impaled people and used objects so like a ski pool, they used improvised items he would use. And also, which is not was typical with many of the stories. Almost all of the stories was that they would visit the crime scene again. These killers and also many many of these are necro files, including this Sergei here the hippopotamus necrofile. But also and again he shared this with a couple other perpetrators that attacked older women and had a paraphilia about that. But also wouldn't contain himself to just older women would attack young children, and many of these killers are included in this book and their heinous crimes because many of these perpetrators, and we didn't get into that, but there are many killers that concentrated on little girls, didn't they.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't go as far as to say that it was a typical of Russians here killers, but yes, there is a very high percentage of the molesters in the book. Yes, the fact that it was maybe easier for them to approach this type of vulnerable victims because they weren't cautious, that their parents didn't ward them out getting candy from strangers. I think so. You know, in Russia, it was a different kind of approach to crime, and crime did not exist for the general public. It was something that happened in the West, but not in Russia. So maybe that's why so many of those offenders did have such a high body count.
Speaker 8: Well, you're right too that there was no media to report, so they're very much unlike America, where the papers were ablaze with headlines and looking for stories, and they were hungry for headlines. These crimes weren't reported, so the parents weren't really to blame too. Much if the two year old was outside just standing alone for ten or fifteen minutes, because they weren't warned, They didn't have any idea from the police nor the media. It was a different time with no social media, so I had no idea.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was different times. Again, it was a different system, a different way of thinking, a different approach to investigation, to police investigation. They did not, of course, have access to modern DNA research techniques. It was the old fingerprinting system and that was about it. So of course some of them were aware of what was happening in the West, they just did not have the resources, the funds, maybe the motivation because as I said before, there were bureaucrats there were not really involved in those cases, especially when the victims were homeless, or were gays, or were sex workers. The police just didn't care.
Speaker 8: There was a fair amount. There's a few stories where the killer has the insight, and the psychologists and professionals that interviewed them after their trials or for the trials themselves included that there was these specific traumatic events like we had mentioned where that person had a sexual experience, watching an accident, in a car accident where someone died but there was other things where a lot of these perpetrators did some service in the military. So whatever horrors that they witnessed in their service, or whatever horrors were allowed and condoned in the name of war, it seems that there is some contribution. Because the level of depravity and again the heinous nature of these serial killers, it seems to be that there has to be some contribution.
Speaker 4: Totally.
Speaker 9: The fact of working and being a military was differently a help for them, and some of them even killed on military grounds, which is unbelievable.
Speaker 8: And also you have the other Again, many killers will gravitate towards the police, and so you have two prominent stories in this book. For sure, certainly where policemen are the perpetrators, and that really helps their murderous careers, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Definitely? Definitely.
Speaker 9: There were a couple of them investigating their own crimes, and they had access to a lot of resources, so they could actually know the mistakes they're done on several of the crime scenes, so they would try everything in their power to leave false clues on the crime scenes. So this is why they were so prolific, because they had the tools in the hands to just raise their tracks.
Speaker 8: Yes, certainly, and the conditions that we mentioned and we talked about today, the political and then the societal situation contributed to these reign of terror going on much longer, the wrongful conviction and in some cases execution of people wrongfully convicted for these killers' crimes. It is a shocking collection of stories that you have put together. I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about this book, Russian Serial Killers Volume one. Maniacts you were a guest on this show True Murder with your book Gospel of Blood.
Speaker 7: For those that might.
Speaker 8: Want to take a look at other work and your publishing company tell us how they might find out more information.
Speaker 9: So I run a publishing company called Serial Pleasures Publishing. I have published more than a dozen books on such topics as Jonestown, Jim Jones, Richard Ramirez. It's a book Collegions of the Night's Stalker. It's about his fans and the people who used to visit him. There is a book on the psychiatric reports on Jeffrey Dahmer, so it's the total psychiatricst reports that were on before the trial. There is also a book on these correspondents several people before he was murdered in in prison. It's called Dead Dammer. There's a few other books which are similar in Vain. And of course I'm still working on the second and third volume of Russian serial Killers, which might become eventually a series. Maybe I will focus on South American killers one day, or Southeast Asian serial killers because it's also a fascinating topic.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, we look forward to the second volume of Russian serial Killers maniacts.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the second edition will be about edibles, so twenty stories or more.
Speaker 8: Yes, looking forward to that. Thank you so much, Nico Kloe, Russian serial Killers Volume one, Maniacs. Thank you so much for this interview, and you have a great evening.
Speaker 4: Thank you do, thank you you too, thank you, good night, good night,