Speaker 1: Here we go with a Minnesota goodbye, Let's get started, and this one is from Neil, who is a regular contributor. Neil lives in Atlanta, and Neil writes, I had a random thought of the weekend thought i'd ask you about it. I was thinking about artist writers, the things that they request when they tour, and I wanted to throw this out there. Do artists get billed for the items on their riders? If you're not sure, maybe Carson can, Dave can reach out to Carson. And that's a good question because Carson is the tour manager, so proud of him. For David Kushner, and they do have their writers, and usually when you're at a David Kushner level, it's very simple. It's like bottled water, hot tea honey, deli tray, maybe cookies, milk, whatever it might be, w R I T or R R I d R I d E R and I don't honestly know, but I think the venue provides for it absolutely.
Speaker 2: I'm almost positive that the venue provides either that or like who over's hosting, I know, I'm pretty sure that we, like katiewb bought Paul Russell stuff to have in the little side room before you performed for Boobash, So it's usually on whoever's hosting it. I don't think that the artist pays for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll ask Carson when he's home. He gets home today. Also, are there any odd items that artists have requested who Carson has worked with? I actually asked him that and he said no. He basically said no that there's never been. You know. The legend is that back in the day, like I think van Halen wanted M and MS with all the green ones removed. Yeah, And I don't even know whether that's true or not.
Speaker 3: Are the green ones the sexy ones?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But I think maybe they said the brown ones. I don't remember one. Yeah, And I think that van Halen did that just because they wanted to prove that you really really did read the concert writer. Sure, so in other words, if you've removed all the brown eminems, then you read the concert writer. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know that Chris Hockey has said when they first started doing whatever festival was not on Canterbury. I think it was Twin City's Summer Jam that they had Aerosmith there the first year, and Stephen Tyler requested that the water be a certain temperature that's in his toilet, and he was a super huge diva, and Chris Hockey did the whole thing of like never meet your heroes with him because he always loves Stephen Tyler, and then he was just like a pretty big diva at that festival.
Speaker 1: I can see Stephen Tyler being a big diva because he's old and he's been in the business for fifty something years, so it's probably like, look, if I'm going to go do this, I want to have exactly what I want. But that seems weird.
Speaker 2: I'll do just one get your toilet water to be a certain temperature though.
Speaker 1: That's a really good question. Finally, if you're working an event like Star Party or jingle Ball, what would you put on your rider? I would say charcoterie board, different cheeses, sausage, some nice Deli mustard yeah, and really no, don't know, coke zero.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the diet coke kombucha, and then maybe like the little Debbie nutty bars.
Speaker 1: Okay, very simple.
Speaker 2: I would definitely get like some nice coffee in there. I'd probably ask for us some Starbucks, some like go to iced coffee, and then I you know, if I'm performing, I don't want to get all bloated, so I probably wouldn't eat anything super unhealthy. I'd probably be annoying and ask for like a veggie tree, but not because that's what I want, just because I want to look good on stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that. You know what's fun. I've seen some videos on Instagram lately and it must be in my algorithm of artists getting ready to go on stage. So they're backstage, they're walking through the tunnels and then they're like, oh, here we go. And I think that's really interesting because how would you feel if you've been doing it for a long time? Like I think the last one I saw was def Leopard, and they're all about to go on stage. They've been doing this for forty something years, and so maybe they're a little bit nervous. But you open up the curtains and you see like forty thousand fans out there, and I just thought that's really interesting. When you see Taylor Swifty backstage about to go on stage, it's like, that's really cool. Yeah, how do you feel have in that moment?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do wonder if they're nervous or if they've done it so many times that it just doesn't FaZe them anymore. And it's kind of like clockwork almost. But I mean if it was me, I'd be like pooping my pants over it.
Speaker 1: Nervous, absolutely. I see what else we got here? A quick question or heard y'all on cool When I wait? Sunday? Was that prerecorded or live? That was pre recorded? We did that on Thursday because they don't want us to, you know, we don't want to come in on a Sunday too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was saying, we don't want to mess it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't want to mess it up. This is kind of interesting. I guess you can listen to the entire Straight Out of Coon Rapids Best of the Dave Ryan Show CD on YouTube. So Morgan provided us a link and you if you don't, I mean, you can't buy the CD anymore obviously, but if you wanted to listen to it, it's on YouTube. Just search for Straight Out a Coon Rapids on YouTube. Let's see what else we got here? All right, Hello, my friends. I Friday night found myself treating me to Happy Hour and dinner. I was sitting at the bar, one stool between myself and another regular couple. So picture this. So they're at the bar, there's a stool. Then another regular couple, a woman came over and asked if the stool was available. We both looked at her and said yeah. So she proceeded to pull the stool out and move it to another area of the bar, and then ask five people to move down. These are people, including myself, that have drinks and meals we are enjoining. I semi snapped, and I looked up and I said, no, I'm enjoying my meal as others are, and if you're looking to squeeze in, there are other areas that'll be less disruptive, as I pointed across the bar to people with just drinks. After the interaction, I kind of felt like a bitch, But I also felt like she was a bitch asking for numerous people to accommodate her needs until her table was ready. Bitch, please stand around the fire with your drink. Don't disrupt my wine and dinner with your necessity to sit. Make a reservation next time. I'm the single celebrate celebrate, I'm the single celibate bath house flight attendant. Yes, and now I can add to the list. Bitch, what does that.
Speaker 3: Mean she emailed in you might have been gone, but Sani was here. We're here. Okay.
Speaker 4: Well, then she's a single lady that went to a bathhouse once and wanted.
Speaker 2: And we asked her clarification on it, and she's single. I think she lives with her kid or something, so does know how to get it on or do anything when her kid's like living in the house.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, gotcha. I don't know. It is a weird kind of a thing when you go to a bar, like there's a restaurant in Chan that we go to just be called Axles. I don't know what's called anymore. And if there's somebody at the bar, you always put a bar stool between you and a stranger. And so sometimes there will be another bar stools for a couple, but they're not next to each other. Yeah, so then can you ask the person to slide down? I don't know. I sometimes people look at you and go, oh, let me slide down, right. That happens a lot.
Speaker 4: I would hope that they would offer themselves. I so before I worked here, before COVID, I worked at a theater and I was the box office manager. So I sold tickets to plays and we would often sell out, like our Christmas show, or there would be like two seats in the back row, and like this bar situation, they would be far away from each other and someone there would always be a person to call in and they'd be like, yeah, I'd like to bring me and me and my husband want to come see this show. And we see that there are two tickets available. Can you have everyone else move down? Can you like move everyone's seats? And I was like, no, I cannot. They'd get so mad at me for not moving these people's seats, the seats that they paid for and like have every right to sit in. And I said, you know what, on the day of you can test your luck, show up, ask the people to move down, see if they will.
Speaker 3: But like, I'm not forcing anybody. They don't down now, they don't have to.
Speaker 4: So I feel like I would like maybe they would offer it to move down at the bar on their own, but like, they don't have to move down.
Speaker 3: So no, I don't think you're a bitch. I don't think that you have to.
Speaker 2: But I think that is it really that big of a deal that you have to move your food.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've always been I've always been the one who will ask someone to move if they don't offer it up, because we want a spot at the bar. Like, I don't know, that's me And maybe you might think that's rude, but I just don't see, Like the bar tenders want the business, the restaurant should want the business, so like, I think it makes sense to move over a little bit to accommodate someone who's just trying to like sit down.
Speaker 1: I guess she maybe her point was she was asking five people to slide down, yeah, which I mean, I don't really know. I guess if I was, you know, if I came into a bar with you know, Susan, and there was a person and a stool, and then two people in a stool and a person in a stool, and I think I would feel maybe okay with like saying, hey, right, would you mind sliding down?
Speaker 3: Just like one person sliding one seat versus five.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If I saw there were two seats available and I had two me and somebody else, and there were two seats super far away from each other, I would just think, well, there's no room at the bar.
Speaker 3: Period.
Speaker 2: Also a lot of times when it's really busy, a bartender will like make the situation happen for them too, Like I've been to I don't know Park Tavern or something in Saint Louis Park, and they will The bartenders want the business, so they'll be like, hey, you guys, mind moving down. Let's get these guys in here now.
Speaker 1: That's just kind of saying maybe a good bartender would do that. Yeah, yeah, I mean Buffalo wild Wings definitely, because it's freaking buffalo wild wings. But in a nicer bar, maybe you'd feel a little bit funny about somebody's got like his seventy five dollars, you know, Philet Mignon with barcels sprouts, and you feel bad about asking to move down. We always eat at the bar. We when we walk into a restaurant, we prefer to eat at the bar. Might number one because we get to watch TV.
Speaker 3: Another one to each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have to talk to each other, but you know you're right there in case you do want to talk to each other, So all right, Next one, Mick writes in Mick says, Dave, I'll hit you with the obvious line. I've listened to you for thirty plus years, and I think my wife has done the thing, the same thing. I've had several lasts over the years, several haha. I even had several laps in person when my idiot brother became your guy who will do anything to be on the radio and had to walk on mouse traps, get shot by paintballs and some other dumb stuff that he deserved. Yeah, we used to do a bit many years ago called the guy who will do anything to be on the radio. Yes, and I remember him, but I don't remember a lot about it. As long time ago.
Speaker 2: It was just one singular person, or consistently one guy.
Speaker 1: There was one guy, let's say his name was Stephen, and Stephen would come in every Thursday, and he would do anything to be on the radio, like walk on mouse traps or get shot by paintballs, or Hi would have stune or whatever.
Speaker 3: Oh, I guess it's her brother.
Speaker 1: Uh. Through all this time, I've never quoted you, not that there was any value in the things you said. The other day, my wife's side put some wall spackling on the counter rather than putting it away upstairs. She started giving me a hard time, and of course I laughed and made some stupid excuses. Then she hits me with you know, Dave Ryan said the other day, don't put it down, put it away.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had no way to respond to that, Dave, how dare you are my wife? With such a matter of fact, insurmountable statement that I just had to sit there and stumble over how to respond. I thought i'd pass this along to you to know that people really do value what you have to say, and it resonates and has for over thirty years. I don't have a beef because it was correct and a great way to think about things. However, as I draft this email, the spackle is still on the kitchen island. I should probably put it away before she gets mad, And he actually sends a picture of the fucking spackle sitting on the kitchen counter.
Speaker 3: How dare you arm my wife?
Speaker 1: That's funny, It's true, though, don't put it down, put it away? And I do this all the time. I'll come in from a walk with Josie and I got my mittens or my gloves, and I've got my wool hat on and I'll throw them down on the bench in the mudroom. Yeah, and I know that's putting it down, not putting it away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's me and all my socks. I'll just take my socks off for comfort while I'm like sitting watching TV, and then the socks just sit on the floor until I have to, you know, like go through and clean everything. Yeah, just my clothes, just pepper around my apartment.
Speaker 2: Guys, I don't think I could live with either of you. I am so strict with Andrew because he always puts shit just like wherever he feels like it.
Speaker 1: And I'll be like, all.
Speaker 2: Right, here you go, we're gonna put this away now, and I just pile things up and I give it to him. And then half the time he'll throw it into like the laundry room and just like store it in there until he actually decides to put it away.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I do that, and I remind myself it is like, oh, don't put it down, put it away. Let me ask you a question. While you're cooking, do you clean up as you're cooking or do you clean up at the end of.
Speaker 3: The cooking at the end if not days later?
Speaker 1: Okay, really, Jenny, I clean up.
Speaker 2: As I'm cooking, but then I almost always leave like the big pan that you had to use till the end for like the next day.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: I actually, yeah, it's got a soak, you know, before you can start scrubbing it.
Speaker 1: I enjoy the whole process. I made a crockpot meal yesterday and it really was so good. It was crock pot a pizza casserole, and I spiced it up with some Italian sausage and some banana peppers and some other things in there. But it was really good. But as I'm doing this, there's a mess all over the kitchen. But I'm constantly putting things into the sink as I'm cooking, and at the end of it, I it's weird, but I actually enjoy cleaning up and making the whole space look new again, really wiping off the little stains off the counter and the splashes off the stove, and putting everything and scrubbing the pan and putting it back in the cabinet. I really enjoy that. And I don't know why, but I think I enjoy order, So I like turning disorder into order.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, not me.
Speaker 4: I think the kitchen and is the least my least favorite thing to clean, like dishes, hate it, hate it.
Speaker 3: I do hate dishes too.
Speaker 4: I wish I had a dishwasher. I've never once had a dish washer in my adult life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll credit Andrew. He definitely does more of the dishes. Like I put everything away in the dishwasher as often as I can. But a thing is like need to be hand washed. I let those pile up sometimes. And Andrew always like gets up in the morning and does dishes. If there's dishes in the same.
Speaker 1: It really doesn't Okay. Let me ask you this one. When you come home from a trip, do you unpack immediately or do you unpack over the next few days?
Speaker 2: Jenny, ninety percent of the time, Yes, it depends on what time I got home. If it had been a long day, then I'm probably not doing it right away. But most of the time, yes, I unpack right away.
Speaker 4: Okay, Bailey, No, I wait and wait and wait and wait. So or if I do laundry or something, I bring home my laundry, it's all like you know, folded and everything I take, it takes me forever to put it away.
Speaker 1: Really really for about you, Dave, first thing I do before I can do anything, before I can relax, before I can sit down, before I can do anything I absolutely unpack. I bring the suit case in. I unpack my briefcase which has got my laptop or whatever and my Nintendo switch, and then I put that all away. Then I do the suitcase. I put it on the kitchen counter. I take the laundry the laundry room, I take the shoes to the shoe place, and then I take the bathroom stuff upstairs. Then I take the suitcase back down to the basement. Then I can finally relate to do it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, not me.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you make your bed?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I don't either. I don't. I don't make my bed. I just don't. It's just one side.
Speaker 3: So if I needed to make it, I just go flip it over.
Speaker 1: Yeah. All right. That is it for the Minnesota goodbye. Send your emails to I in Show at KDIWB dot com