Speaker 1: Traveling the world is an incredible experience. Finding landscapes that belong to other cultures and experiencing the way of life others live can often be invigorating and often life changing. But as we already know, when there is good, there also tends to be bad. With tourism, there is no exception, and today we talk about the dark side of tourism and a particular man who took advantage of other countries' laws, their people, and most heinous of all their children.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben and I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast. Warning.
Speaker 1: The following podcast and material intended for a mature audience listener discretion. We're back from Halloween week. We are, It's over, It's done. How was that seven days in between? I have a feeling that comes long for a lot of people. I know it is long for me.
Speaker 2: Curious if everyone's even caught up.
Speaker 1: That's true. Actually, I'm not actually expecting everyone to listen every episode every day, so I'm curious if everyone is by now caught up or if they're still going through it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it almost feels like it's been way longer than a week, right, now just because we were doing episodes every day.
Speaker 1: It does it felt like a summer vacation almost. Yeah, like it drug on if I'm being completely honest. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: But it was no time away really like our normal. It wasn't normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're back onto the normal, except we've been away so long now we're just brain farting. That's what's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is what's happening.
Speaker 1: That is but we are back to the regular schedule of just Tuesday uploads and now that Halloween is gone. We actually oppose this question not long ago in Patreon. I haven't gone back and responded to everyone yet and started the conversations with them, but I have seen a lot of people commenting in regards to Christmas decorating.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we were chatting about that today. I had a brilliant idea.
Speaker 1: Well you did putting it because, I mean, Tommy home, it's hard to have a Christmas tree indoors, so you came up with the idea on the gazebo we put up. Yeah, have a Christmas tree in.
Speaker 2: There because we have power going to there, so it'd be pretty easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So what's your what's your vision for it.
Speaker 2: I would almost Well, I was going to say clear everything off the deck that we have there, but it would be nice because we do a little fire pit there too. You could sit there with the tree, That's true. So I'd keep that stuff there and I just put the tree kind of in the middle, and I'd probably just do lights. I don't know if i'd really do ornaments.
Speaker 1: Okay, we do have a bunch of ornaments in storage.
Speaker 2: Well, how would they do in the cold weather? Though outside in the element?
Speaker 1: I think they're cheap. They're all right, But we can't do that until December.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, we're December first people for Christmas decorating.
Speaker 1: That's our cutoff. You can decorate Halloween when October hits. You can decorate Christmas when December hits. That's the rule. Yeah, but I know other people live by different rules. Like I am friends with one of our patreons because this is a real life friend of ours who joined us some Patreon DEMI. Yeah, though I haven't seen her response in Patreon yet, I have seen a personal post on Facebook where she erected her Christmas tree today. Really, yes, so clearly I know she is living in a lawless land. So DEMI shout out to you for doing what you want and live in your way. That's awesome, that's honestly, I mean, hey, do you I disagree with it wholeheartedly, but I appreciate you doing you well.
Speaker 2: Growing up, I remember it was always December first for us too, But my mom would often like say if December first was or how I don't know. Often it was like a week ahead or something like she we led her way for it to be a week ahead. But I know a lot of people if they do decorate too early, they get sick of it the decorations by the time Christmas comes, right, Yeah, And I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, it's like it gives you something to look forward to a little bit more. It's like, okay, it's like, get to decorate on December first, and then it's like makes like you say, that countdown to Christmas a little bit shorter. And yeah, I don't know. But the other side of the coin is it makes Christmas season longer. People like the Christmas season, so why not, Like I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a joyful season.
Speaker 1: It is, well, it should be. It's supposed to be.
Speaker 2: It's supposed to be, but actually it's not. Always, especially if you're dealing with like a loss or something, it almost makes it worse. I'm being honest.
Speaker 1: And consumerism nowadays too is through the roof. So yeah, yeah, anyways, we got some patreons to think, we sure do after this thing and to go and I'm going to actually engage with them in that Christmas conversation see what their opinion is. But we have some patrons who signed up since our last episode. So we have Marie, Chris and Crystal, Melissa, Juice Kick, and Emily Alred. They all signed up over on Patreon to get that exclusive stuff.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much. Yeah, we sure do appreciate that.
Speaker 1: And if you guys want to join us on Patreon links down below. If not, yeah, that's cool, you're here. Hey. If you just want to see some behind the scenes, but not the Patreon behind the scenes, we have a YouTube channel. We uploaded a YouTube video like an hour ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's a really good one.
Speaker 1: Actually, go to the description of this once a podcast is done, you can check out that video where we show our chickens off. Well I do because Nicole wasn't home, but anyways, you get to see that. Regardless, let's dive into this episode, because that's what you're here for. You're here for TRR crime. Yeah, not chickens or Christmas discussion.
Speaker 2: And I'll just know really quick. We do have our like generic disclosure at the beginning, because you know, we talk about heavy shit here. But this one is kid related, and a lot of people were like want an extra heads up for that sometimes when we try to, so just letting you.
Speaker 1: Know, so I will tell you now that, yes, Nichol's correct, this one is child related. However, I do not go over any details of said child relation stuff. Okay, I don't mention any graphic details what soever involving children. Correct. Okay, in fact, no graphic details whatsoever I talk about in this one. I strictly talk about the crime that was committed. So just say, for example, this is not this case. I'm just saying, for example, right now, say for example, some case somewhere where a child was murdered. I'm not going to talk about the murder whatsoever. I just talked about the child is murdered, and that's as far as I go. So in this case, children are victims, and I just simply say they are the victims. They were abused. That's all I really say. Okay, so if you can, if you got through this, you can probably get through the rest of this episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: We get it, you get it.
Speaker 1: Okay. I'm trying to give you a warning, but you don't need too much of one generally because it is light Still.
Speaker 2: It's just funny. How a lot sooner to try I do. I'm so bad for that. You're explaining something and then I'm explaining it. Just yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Just gone out of control because like this is not a light case by any means. I just there's no graphic details to go along with it in this episode. Yeah that's good. Okay, Okay, So today's story, I first want to shout out Nick Crowley on YouTube. His video was the single best resource of information regarding this case. So I pulled a lot from his video, So thank you very much. Did an incredible job covering it, so help me out. Immensely awesome. But today's story, we do start off in an internet cafe in Peta, Thailand. This is the early two thousands, So two young brothers were there and they're having some fun on computers in this internet cafe and they're playing their favorite computer games. So the boys were thirteen and eight years old. They were sitting next to each other and they began playing the games and you know, their afternoon of excitement, right. And as they were playing the game, they noticed that there was another boy kind of peering over their shoulder. Now the boy was about their age, and he was kind of watching them play their games rather intensely. The three began striking up a conversation moments later, and they were talking about the games that they were playing. And soon the third boy began telling these two about a friend of his who he was on his way to go see. Now, he told them how his friend had this amazing computer for games and it was head over heels better than the ones in these internet cafes. So not only was this computer head over heels better than these other computers, but it also had a giant library of games to go with it so large you can pretty much play any game you wanted. Basically, it's like you play on this awesome game. Whatever game like.
Speaker 2: Just rocks nice.
Speaker 1: So the boys eyes of course glinted as their thoughts started churning. You know, the idea of this incredible computer. How amazing you you play these games on it? And they're just like, you know, fuck, yeah, this sounds awesome. And so, as the third boy continued, he actually offered his two newfound friends to come with him to this place to play some of the games on set computer.
Speaker 2: With his friend and the fact that he's like a young boy too, it's probably made them feel kind of comfortable.
Speaker 1: Hey, oh yeah, no red flags or anything. Yeah, it's like, let's go play right with another another kid my age sort of thing. So yeah, no questions asked. They're like, oh, this is cool. So yeah, they were like, just let's go join it. So all three of them, you know, left the Internet cafe and they marched off and they were headed off in the direction to this awesome computer with the games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excited as heck, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Oh, through and through it was off to a nearby apartment building wasn't too far away. They entered through the main doors and all three began climbing flights of stairs until they reached the seventh level. There, they entered one of the units of the building and it was very dimly lit inside, and here they didn't find the superior gaming computer. That they were promised. Instead, they were met by a strange man, a man that had just trapped these boys by means of manipulating another boy.
Speaker 2: Oh geez, a man.
Speaker 1: Who would later earn the very eerie nickname mister Swirl.
Speaker 2: Oh that sounds disturbing, yep.
Speaker 1: So in two thousand and four, German authorities would be the first to learn about this very disturbing man one evening as they were searching through some items in an old, abandoned storage unit. Now, as they sifted through the items within, it's not exactly clear what the authorities were looking for, but regardless of that, they were soon about to find something extremely disturbing. Beneath the layers forgotten i junk, garbage, debris and appliances, they came across an old hard drive. Now, whether it was sheer, curiosity or something else that drove them to see what was on the hard drive is unknown and rather irrelevant, honestly, But when they did plug it into a computer and opened up the files, they were horrified with its contents. There were hundreds of photos showcasing photos from around the world, traveling pictures of places, landscapes, food, and amongst them, photos of child.
Speaker 2: Pornography, oh just randomly in the mix.
Speaker 1: Yes, So if you've made it this far and you're unsure on if you can carry on, this is as graphic as we go, just stating child pornography. That's as graphic as we talk.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I think I can carry on then, Okay for now.
Speaker 1: So while I will not get into these details and these events that were unfolding with these children being harmed in the photos, it was certain that multiple victims were being abused and taking taken advantage of, including three young boys that appeared to be in a very dimly lit apartment, the very three that we were talking about earlier.
Speaker 2: Oh Man.
Speaker 1: However, out of all these images on the hard drive, there was one detail in some images that stood out. There was a man who seemed to pose proudly with the children, as if showcasing what he was doing. All the above being before, during, and after. But while he seemed to be boasting very proudly of his actions, he also took care to cover his identity the images that were shown of him and his victims. He had taken a filter to his own face, a swirl effect, much like you see on Snapchat or Instagram or anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now the swirl swirls the pixels of the face into an unrecognizable spiral, giving him the nickname mister Swirl.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I don't know what it was going to exactly be. But that's like disturbing. I mean, it is all of it's disturbing.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's even more particularly disturbing when you actually look at the images of this mister Swirl.
Speaker 2: Okay, but is there was there other like in within the travel pictures his face normal, No, they're all just swirly.
Speaker 1: The travel pictures were just kind of like landscape, foods, just general pictures of things. He's behind the camera and then when there it is involving the children and he is in them, his face his swirled.
Speaker 2: What the shit? Now?
Speaker 1: One detail he would often do with these swirl pictures is the center of the swirl. This is one eye, So you get this swirl right into the center of like his pupil, and it's just it's honestly kind of fucked up.
Speaker 2: That's really fucked it is, huh.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, it's like it's it's just a swirl, but knowing what's behind that swirl and what this person is.
Speaker 2: Capable of evil predator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well complete evil predator like this guy. I'm telling you now, this guy is the fucking lowest of the fucking low, Like fuck this guy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't think any of us. You need to finish this to.
Speaker 1: Know that, no, no guaranteed. So this was something different than most predators though, him actually posing in the photos, yeah, actively, like he's actually trying to tie these images in these events to himself without being discovered, if that makes any sense. It's almost like he's flexing or provoking authorities like, go ahead, try and figure out who I am.
Speaker 2: Well, and then it's honestly, to my thought is it's literally just for him, because I think a lot of times people are doing this sort of disturbing thing to profit or to sell or whatever. But like, if he's in there with this swirly face, I feel like it's almost just for him.
Speaker 1: We'll touch on that here in a little bit. Okay, So authorities who found this, of course, began working trying to identify this man right away because this is not fucking cool, of course, and it quickly became apparent to them that trying to decipher this world photographs to find a mysterious individual behind them and who's who their identity was was not going to be an easy task. So soon inner Pol would find themselves involved in the investigation. Yeah, so we all know what INTERPOL is, right, you know, the world renowned worldwide organization for crime unit or whatever. They would join the investigation investigation that would later be named Operation Visco. Since so many photographs were found from around the world on this hard drive, now it only kind of makes sense that they're part of it, really, because it's all around the world sort of thing. So they began digging into other details of the photos, such as geographical locations, landmarks, you know, tangible details in the photographs, maybe writings on signs, street signs, that sort of stuff, food, who knows, right, And by doing this, they were able to identify some of the areas that the photographs were actually taken in, and thus identifying possible areas where this individual was operating out of. Okay, So some of the locations were Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, and potentially South Korea, and Operation VIKO actually gets its name from Vietnam and Cambodia. So combining the to vicos.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you. I was really curious what I was like, I'll just wag ask.
Speaker 1: After Yeah, so there you go. It was actually a combination of those, which were two heavy areas that he was operating in. Okay, Now, though this was like a really good discovery on the investigator's part, actually narrowing down these areas that these folks were taken in the relevations didn't exactly make their job any easier by any means, if any thing. It really just opened the can of worms. The man was seemingly going from country to country and never staying long enough to get caught anywhere, and always leaving authorities behind. So there are several countries that he could possibly be in, countries that he was in, and where could he be?
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, that would make it way harder. And that's also very interesting. Hey yeah, that they're just going all over the place like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean like he at this point, because he's gone to multiple countries, he could literally be anyone. He could literally be anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was in the world basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've said it two times already in the last ten seconds. Literally, but it's literally a needle in a haystack. Search for the authorities. They're searching for an unknown individual somewhere in the world. Wow, yeah, narrow that shit down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I mean, it's hard enough to find some one individual saying a big ass city, let alone. Yeah, I that is so daunting. I couldn't even imagine.
Speaker 1: Half the time. It's hard enough for me to find my own dog in the backyard, like where the fuck did she go? And they have to find someone in the world. Yeah, someone they don't know. It baffles me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have really no identification whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Zero. Yeah, so it of course gonna be hard. But however, this wasn't going to be the only evidence authorities would have to work with, because mister swirl soon would deliver more photographs. Okay, so the same swirling faced photographs would begin popping up online in dark corners of the Internet. Oh gosh, which ultimately proved the worst case scenario to authorities.
Speaker 2: He's still doing it, He's still.
Speaker 1: Active, because I mean, they found this old hard drive. It could just be Hey, someone who did this. Maybe it's like a year spree or something.
Speaker 2: Right way back in the day. Hopefully they're like don't exist anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're done whatever. Yeah, heinous still but at least it's not continuing. But no, in this case, it's still continuing. So the photos were circulating through forums with known predatory predatory individuals of the like of mister Swirl and posing with of course his victims now doing so. Posing with one's victims being in the photos was kind of almost a badge of honor because generally speaking, predators don't want to be in the photos because they don't want to be caught, they don't want to be seen if the photos are found, it's like, hey, proove, I took those, good luck, right, but he's actually posing with them, and it was kind of like a badge of honor sort of situation in these forums, and he was becoming somewhat of a celebrity in these twisted groups.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, I hate the term too, badge of honor for this shit. That's so this is just that's just wrong.
Speaker 1: I know. That's why I said almost a badge.
Speaker 2: Of how No, I'm not blaming you at all, because it's exact like what he's doing. You know, he's proud of this, Yeah, I know, And that's that's just disgusting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like disgusting, isn't even the word that being begins to portray how I feel about this, But they do theorize that in this sort of situation with him kind of being a little bit more prolific and like held at a higher standard and higher tier, and all these gross ass creepy individuals liking what he's doing. Now as this quote badge of honor, it only kind of opened the world for him to access their libraries of what they have as well, because people are holding him to a high standard. Now it's like, oh, look what I did, Look what I've got, Here's what I've purchased or whatever. Right, Oh my gosh, yeah, kind of making him a quasi celebrity in this world.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: So, by now, with the accumulation of photos from the hard drive and photos that were brought up online, authorities had nearly three hundred photos depicting mister Swirl and his horrible acts. So there was approximately hundred photos in that hard drive. All all of them were of these type of photos. Some of them were, like I said, landscapes or travel photos. Right now, they had approximately three hundred photos of this particular type of apps.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yes, okay, and I just have to I feel like just sitting here being the investigators that have to pretend to be nasty motherfuckers, And I mean, they're so necessary and they're like heroes, but it's like, can you imagine that.
Speaker 1: Being your jaw pay having to go in these chat rooms.
Speaker 2: And talk to them and try to get information, and oh my gosh, I just feel like that would be made maybe one of the worst jobs in the sense though, what you're having to see, but not in the sense that you're able to help and hopefully stop.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, No, It's a gut wrenching situation. It's much similar to like, say, for example, firefighters, you have to run into a burning building to save a life. These people are metaphorically doing the same.
Speaker 2: Thing, but the visuals that they're having to witness on a daily basis, I can only imagine how brutal that would be.
Speaker 1: So as dark as this was the case of mister Swirl, there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Okay, that's good, So the ever so cocky mister Swirl slipped up.
Speaker 2: Good what the fuck did he do?
Speaker 1: He forgot to hide his IP address when posting the photos to the online forums. Oh my gosh, which gave the authorities the exact city he was operating over.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they surmise that this disgusting excuse for a human to put into bed to least of words, I could has been flying to other countries to take advantage of their lesser laws to abuse children and then fly back home to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and share his material via the Internet.
Speaker 2: The fact that this guy Canadian, its just disturbs me even more. But also I'm glad that he was such an idiot. But what an idiot? Yeah, Like, I'm so glad he kind of forgot to take that off. But like you're stupid, Yeah, real stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's stupid for a lot of reasons, but yeah, many reasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, while they didn't know who he was, just yet, narrowing down their search to Vancouver was immense. It's no longer a worldwide search, it's a city search.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a big ass city, but that's whole that's huge win.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So while this was going on, the team that was trying desperately with the swirl photographs to like solve that puzzle, something happened. So see the swirl pattern in these effects, I gotta go with a little bit of detail with this effect here for a second. Oh, they only alter the photos. It doesn't erase any any information.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, seriously.
Speaker 1: So everything, every pick in this picture is still there. The swirl just changes the order it swirls the pictures. Some effects like a blur, literally like will erase ya get rid of details? The swirl does not do that. It just rearranges the pattern of the pixels to create a swirl effect.
Speaker 2: Because I've totally played with this in Phonoshop before, so I one hundred percent get what you mean. Yeah, wow, so you could swirl it back kind of.
Speaker 1: Eventually, three years after the initial discovery, the breakthrough happened. One of the individuals and the team made a connection with this effect to an editing software, the exact editing software that was used to make the swirl in the first place.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Because if you use one swirl in one app and then another, the swirl is a different pattern. So it's not going to swirl it back exactly the same Okay, so it's just mixing it the other way, you know. Okay, But if you use the exact same software and put it into that program. That's exactly what.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, I'm sorry, but that is brilliant.
Speaker 1: Yep. So this photo was taken by this individual, put into the exact same program, and the effect was applied once again, this time in reverse, and then in a matter of seconds, the face of mister Swirl was reverted right back to normal and he was revealed.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I'm shocked. I don't know why, but I didn't think I didn't think about that. Holy heck, clearly he didn't either.
Speaker 1: Nope, clearly he did not. So he's an idiot for multiple reasons. Another one.
Speaker 2: Wow, thank the Lord that he's such an idiot at right.
Speaker 1: So innerpol quickly made the images of the man's face public. They're like, we need to get this guy, like stop now, we need to face out there, and by public I mean world wide public good because he's operating out of how many countries, right, So that's what they did. They made it worldwide public and spread it across new sources around the world and the Internet alike. The hunt for mister Swirl was on, and it only took a mere few hours before his identity was discovered.
Speaker 2: Really okay, so did he get discovered before he even realized that his face was all over the place. We'll get to that, Okay, Sorry, I'm invested in this now.
Speaker 1: So, this so called mister Swirl was a thirty two year old man by the name of Christopher Paul Neil who was born in nineteen seventy five in North Vancouver. Now, Christopher was an English teacher for kids, no shit, He was traveling around the world to countries the one specifically identified in the case as a teacher while staying there, so likely meaning some of the children who were his victims. Wow, were his students.
Speaker 2: That I hate that? Holy what a piece of Yeah.
Speaker 1: Students that he would have, you know, students that would have trusted him and that he betrayed that trust.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So though Christopher was identified, they didn't have him just yet. Authorities learned that he was currently working in South Korea as a teacher and quickly sent the authorities knocking at his door there. But when they got there, he was already.
Speaker 2: Gone running for his life right right.
Speaker 1: Because of the publications. Like I said, this was worldwide news and when he was identified, you bet that was their real fucking fast too. Yeah, So his identity was discovered he saw it on TV and he bolted. Now, a photograph from an airport security soon showed that he had fled the country and was now residing somewhere within Thailand.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Weeks began passing and some sightings of people that looked like Christopher were reported. Nothing was confirmed, but a few weeks had passed, and eventually, on October nineteenth, thousand and seven, ty police located by means of transportation on a mobile phone Christopher.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, right on, they were on this.
Speaker 1: They were. So they knocked on the door to where the phone had traced to and when the door opened up, there stood Christopher and he was quickly arrested.
Speaker 2: Good. I mean it's not surprising that he couldn't go far really.
Speaker 1: I mean, the world was after him.
Speaker 2: Well, and he's like he would have screwed up, like he's he doesn't seem like he thinks steps ahead kind of thing.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so. Yeah. Now, I did want to touch briefly on one thing, because now he has caught kind of the investigation is mostly over. It's now prosecution type stage, and all the evidence and stuff. He never did technically forget his IP address, when he posted that he had posted it from his brother's computer. He didn't use his own personal stuff, He didn't bother to clear it because he posted it from his brother's computer. What an asshole, right, So he was essentially if the target was coming in on him, hoping that it would have been framed on his brother.
Speaker 2: Seriously, Hey correct, whoa yeah? Could this guy get any more scum?
Speaker 1: Nope? Like I said, he is the lowest low fuck this guy.
Speaker 2: No kidding, Yeah, I mean nothing would even surprise me anymore about this guy at this point. Well, is there more shit?
Speaker 1: We'll get there.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 1: So, to start with, he was being tried in Thailand for assault on the three young boys in the internet cafe, which was the only crime they could actually prove took place in their country.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: So his trial took place later that summer, and on August fifteenth of two thousand and eight, he was sentenced to thirty nine months in prison and a seventeen hundred dollars Fine.
Speaker 2: Oh that's not enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah at all? No, And not only that, his stay was his stay behind bars was halved after he later admitted to his crimes.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, you would almost advantage to be more yeap.
Speaker 1: It was then extended after that, after he was also found guilty of molesting yet another child.
Speaker 2: Keep it extended for life? Right?
Speaker 1: Nope. After only five years of incarceration in Thailand, on September twenty ninth, twenty twelve, Christopher was released and was sent back to Canada. Why now? As he flew back home, I'll explain why here. In a moment, he came to a stop and stepped out of the airplane, and in that exact moment, he was greeted by an entourage of police who were anxiously waiting his arrival on Canadian soil so they could arrest him in Canada.
Speaker 2: Okay, good. I wonder if he was expecting that.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming not I probably was, if I'm being honest. Okay. Yeah. So, while this is so awesome that he's been sentenced in Thailand and would now face the gabble in Canadian courtrooms, I wish I could say I was happy with how it played out, But as we discussed so very many times before in this podcast, the justice system is extremely flawed in so many ways, and in this case specifically, I believe the world was let down.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, because there's no way that this person should be should be ever walking around.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll get we'll get to that, Okay. So the initial plan for prosecution of Christopher was each country will get their turn to bring them to justice, right on.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: So starting with Thailand where he was arrested, right bring them to Canadian soil, he'll get arrested, get tried, do jail time, Send him to the next country, get arrested, get tried, get jail time. Basically, so on and so on until he lives out his life kept behind bars. Basically, what like.
Speaker 2: Oh, hearing about this sort of justice system, Like it just seems like a waste of resources. I get that every country kind of wants their bit, but just lock them up in one place he just stays there. Is that me being evil? It's just because why we're flying him all over the place, like he did something really bad, Just lock him up and then he just kind of stays there.
Speaker 1: I get what you're saying, But at the same time, it's like he didn't commit the crime in Canada.
Speaker 2: Well, what he did in Thailand should have been life. In my opinion, I think he Almos should have stayed there forever.
Speaker 1: I agree, okay, but I don't know the laws and legislation in Thailand though, right, I know. But anyways, handing off from country to country, That of course, is not how it all played out. On October third, twenty twelve, not even a week after he was arrested on Canadian soil, Christopher got to walk free. What on the condition if he agreed on some basic rules. He was to never own a vice that connected to the Internet again, and that he would stay away from parks, schools, playgrounds and register as a sex offender.
Speaker 2: Wow wow, yeah.
Speaker 1: So, not even a week after he's arrested in Canada, they're letting him walk fucking walk.
Speaker 2: That is just whacked.
Speaker 1: Yes, Now, technically that's because most of the crimes he committed were not in Canadian soil.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, that's what I was kind of thinking. Did he do any of this? Oh okay, that's.
Speaker 1: Okay, shared the photographs in Canada, that's it. That is something though, that is But yet they still let him walk a week later, and it's like, you can't you can't have a phoneo computer, and you're a sex offender. Now, yeah, that's not cool in my opinion. No, of course Christopher agreed. He's like, yeah, okay, I'll agree to that, and so of course he agreed, and of course he reoffended.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that is just so brutal. That is so disgusting.
Speaker 1: Oh I am so fucking pissed over this. Yeah, you have no idea. Ten months later, Oh.
Speaker 2: My gosh, like this is I'm just pissed.
Speaker 1: On August second, twenty thirteen, Christopher was arrested in his home for breach of agreement. He was found with a phone and a laptop in his possession. Now, on those devices, he was found with child pornogas.
Speaker 2: Does he really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not fucking surprising, though it's not.
Speaker 1: He was found with twenty five images, to be exact, two of which included images of him in his signature like.
Speaker 2: He shook, like he did it again.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming though I don't know. I'm assuming these are old photographs I mean, but new to authorities, because I can't imagine he would reply the same swirl filter like I don't know, maybe, but but like.
Speaker 2: Who knows what he was actually doing in those ten months. Yeah, he totally could have been committing these crimes, not just like having them, but like doing them again very much. So oh that is just heartbreaking, disgusting.
Speaker 1: So Christopher had gotten these devices almost immediately after he was released after agreeing to never having them right, and was using these devices to access his previous creepy corners of the Internet. He was messaging other individuals and presumably sharing images back and forth. In one chat log, he was found to be talking with an individual and was quoted saying, quote the swirl liveth still the hatred.
Speaker 2: My blood is boiling.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And the thing is is this motherfucker was probably just laughing his ass off, like I like, he got away with this. Yep, Oh my gosh. I ah, okay.
Speaker 1: I know I'm right there with this.
Speaker 2: This is unreal.
Speaker 1: I am right there with you. And I can't believe it took me this long to find this fucking case because this guy is he lives an eight hour driveway.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm surprised that I had never heard of him either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's wild. So it was also found that Christopher had now been shown how to access the deep web. Now, the deep web is a portion of the Internet that is hidden behind kind of like closed doors. You kind of almost have to be like a quasi hacker to get in there. It's where one can move untraced and access back doors and websites dangerous, very creepy, dark shit. He can basically move across the Internet untraced now. He pleaded guilty in October of the same year to child pornography, and his sentencing occurred on May sixth of twenty fourteen, at which time he received a prison sentence of three months plus three years of probation for breach of conditions, namely possessing devices capable of accessing the Internet, to which on December twenty fifteen, Christopher would be sentenced to a total of a mind blowing five and a half years in prison by a British Columbia court. Wow, a time that would later be reduced because of time served to fifteen months.
Speaker 2: That is just so disappointing.
Speaker 1: He was subsequently released on March twenty seventeen and is currently living in Vancouver with a court ordered restriction no different than before. No devices. You're a registered defender and you got to stay away from playgrounds and schools and stuff.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the same rules that he agreed to before and broke immediately after only this time, now he can move on the Internet untraced via the dark Web.
Speaker 2: Yep. That's so disturbing and so scary and makes me literally never want to go back to Vancouverever for some reason. Fair enough, Oh, that is so sad.
Speaker 1: It's so fucked up. Ultimately, Christopher aka mister Swirl is living as a freeman after committing these absolutely horrific acts on children and proving that he did not want to He could not be reformed, did not want to be reformed, though now he swears he is, but he was let go on the conditions he was going to be reformed, and he just immediately the Swirl liveth on or whatever the fuck he said.
Speaker 2: Well, and oh my gosh, because he's probably still doing something.
Speaker 1: Probably he's a true human piece of fucking trash. I hope he listens to this episode right now and he hears me say that he's a piece of shit.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because yeah, I literally even no words. The fact that he's just roaming the streets like it almost seems like this is a bad dream. That is so disturbing and scary. Yeah, holy shit, Okay.
Speaker 1: That's the story of mister Squirrel.
Speaker 2: Wow. I mean, what kind of job or anything could you even get after that having this on your record.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Is he of the same name and everything? I don't know, because well, he's probably changed it, to be.
Speaker 1: Honest, probably by now. Yeah. Wow, But he is a registered sex offender, whether he has changed his name or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even sure if registered sex offenders can change names or work.
Speaker 1: That might actually be part of it. I don't know if you can. Holy heck, are you good? No? I'm not actually, I'm honestly right there with you. It baffles me that the Canadian government let him do that and let him get away twice.
Speaker 2: They had one job and they like failed it twice.
Speaker 1: They let a predator go mm hmm. They gave him a slap on the wrist after he did all those horrific things. Yep, and then he did it again and they just gave him a slap on the wrist again.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, gosh, because the thing is there, there has to be things like is he I don't know. They have to be monitoring this somehow right going forward for the rest of his life. But then there's probably so much opportunity for him to to get away with things without them knowing.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely.
Speaker 2: So if that's the case, then he can't be trusted and he just something needs to happen that he's not you know, like hot and able to harm people.
Speaker 1: He needs locked up. Yeah, he needs to be locked up for fucking life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if they cannot guarantee that he's you know, good and like has changed, which, how do you even do that? Like, there's no way that this person should be walking around the streets because there's no way.
Speaker 1: He could one hundred percent be doing the same thing to kids out there right.
Speaker 2: Now because kids are everywhere. They've limited where he can go and stuff. But like kids are everywhere. You go to the grocery store, you go to like the mall or whatever, anywhere you're gonna go. Yeah, you go to the beach, like anywhere. Yep, Okay, this is fucked. I know.
Speaker 1: I can see you writhing in your seat right now.
Speaker 2: I know. I'm just like really angry about this case. My chest is probably blotchy. I'm so mad.
Speaker 1: There's very few things that make me not proud to be Canadian. This is one of the things that really makes me disgusted with being Canadian. Yeah, because I can't believe our government let that happen.
Speaker 2: Well, I know, and you know, it'd be interesting because sometimes I feel like justice system Canada is pretty soft. And I've said this before, but I don't know if it's softer than other areas or what. It'd be interesting to know that, you know, or could this. I mean, Thailand did let him go too, right, but he.
Speaker 1: At least served five years there, But.
Speaker 2: He did serve some time here, but not even five years, was it.
Speaker 1: No, he was sentenced to five but he served fifteen months with time served.
Speaker 2: Huh wow, So I.
Speaker 1: Guess pre prosecution. Maybe he was locked up for a while, but even still he walked free for half of that anyways too, because he he reoffended and everything.
Speaker 2: Like you know, sometimes I understand, like I get there's so many people out there that believe in rehabilitation, and I totally think in some cases it can work. But then the fact if you gave someone the opportunity to be rehabilitated and then they fucked up again, it's like done, like there's no more.
Speaker 1: It's not only that he fucked up again. He immediately immediately went and got these devices, got online learn how to circumvent getting caught again and bragged the swirl Livith. Yeah, so he's not only proving that he can't be reformed, he's proving he doesn't want to be reformed. In fact, he's proud of what he's done, even after the fact I'm being caught and let go. Yeah, he's literally laughing in the face of authorities.
Speaker 2: Because how like they had that many photos to you. I think he says like two or three hundred or something. So he messed up that many times. Like he is an addiction. He like even he needs to be go in like a mental institute or something. Yeah, getting like help and like really making sure that he's can be on the streets because I question, Yeah he shouldn't be.
Speaker 1: But I mean he is in the streets right now. And God, I hope he has reformed. I so hope that he's a model citizen. I hope he's turned his life around.
Speaker 2: We can only like pray jeez. Yeah, wow, So because if he's not, like, Lord help us all. I sound very religious and in those last few sentences, didn't I.
Speaker 1: Nicole found God in this episode just like praying over here.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sorry to bring that episode to you guys, but it's definitely one that I wanted to bring more to the forefront. If you haven't heard about it before, you have now, no.
Speaker 2: Shit, I'm surprised that I haven't heard of that. I'm shocked.
Speaker 1: Actually, I was baffled when I first learned of it.
Speaker 2: I mean I actually was okay that I haven't heard of it.
Speaker 1: Well, not so much now, I guess. Thank you guys for being here, Thank you for listening. If you're still here, you're absolutely amazing. All of our stuff is in the description below. You've heard this feel before. Patreon's there, Instagram, Facebook, you name it. It's all there, even Fearful, our other podcast with Jacko. Yeah, but I'm going to stop there. You've heard it all. You guys are awesome. What do you do. I've got a little bit of whiskey left.
Speaker 2: You got to go finish a drink.
Speaker 1: I made sure I poured a whiskey for this episode.
Speaker 2: I I didn't say anything, and I was like, okay, is that how I can judge? Now? If the episodes are real harsh, depending if you have a beer whiskey.
Speaker 1: You have to there's there's a preset what's the word I'm looking for, not a presept There's something else you got to judge first. You have to ask yourself, did Ben have a bad day? If Ben had a bad day and it's having a whiskey, then the podcast might not be a bad one. But if Ben had a good day and it's having a whiskey, the podcast episode is fucked.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, that's.
Speaker 1: Those are the standards there that you got to look for.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you guys so much for being here. We will see you next week or talk to you next week and until.
Speaker 2: Then, Stay Wicked.
Speaker 1: That wasn't a very long, Stay Wicked.
Speaker 2: I know I'm getting shorter.
Speaker 1: Okay, give us a long one.
Speaker 2: Stay. Oh man, I'm not gonna get the pressures on, the pressures on.
Speaker 1: Stay.
Speaker 2: I can't do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, i'll do it. I'll do it, Stay Wicked.
Speaker 2: That was okay, it was okay, okay.
Speaker 1: That was better than you or it was