Speaker 1: With Laurent's segal And from London and Gerard Reid from Berlin. This is redefining energy. Today. On redefining energy, we're going to take a look at what's going on in China and the world of solar.
Speaker 2: Urn and China came to us in Unich in June where we were that massive exhibit called well, I don't even know it's called. We used to cut it into sala. How is it called now?
Speaker 1: Now called the Smarter Europe or Smarter e Europe. I don't even know. My god come up with these crazy names? Right? Inter solar is so easy, right, it used to be solar, but now you've got batteries and you've got evy charging, and you've got technologies in around inverters, battery management systems, et cetera, et cetera. I don't know how many halls they were there.
Speaker 2: Around eighteen crazy eighteen olds and I think they have one hundred thousand visitors. Anyway, during the course of inter Solar chart through our friends Jenadan Gifob, you've been able to get a studio room.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We interviewed the head of Astro Energy and the head of the new energy technology business within Chint and Chin. Best way to describe Chint is it's the Chinese version of Siemens. That's what it is, big transformer manufacturer. There are lots and lots of different things, but I think it was great to be able to sit down with doctor Loew and have a chat about what was going on in China already.
Speaker 2: Now I want to complain a bit about the logistics because when we're arriving in the studio, there were only two chairs, so I sacrificed myself. You did interview and I was on the carpet. There was no chematization, so was it a swat team? That was really painful.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The thing that I concluded out of inter Solar this year is we're going to call it inter air conditioning next year because the cooling across the whole event was a disaster. I mean there was some halls where it seemed like the cooling worked, and then there was others that none And it was thirty six degrees outside and I went home early from the event because my hotel had no air conditioning. It was absolutely crazy. But it's a good story because this has been the European summer, right We've just hit all time highs and temperatures across most cities, and what you realize is the cities in northern Europe are not set up to have three weeks of thirty five degrees, you know whether.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's listen to your interview with doctor Chuan Lu.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome to the show. Thank you. Listen. Here we are sitting in Munich what used to be called Intersolar right and now it's called smarter e Europe, and both of us have been coming for well over a decade at this point in time, right, So maybe we start there and just talk a little bit about the sort of journey that we've all been on in this solar space and your reflections over this last ten years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were in Munich and I started joining this show more than ten years ago. Yeah, I think two pound twelve that was my first time during this renewable show, but mainly PV by that time. I think there's also a lot of European player for solo module and also a lot of come from China for module manufacturing, and the show is most likely for PVY panel show. But I mean after more than ten years, developments the player now more and the more turned from pure PV into a battery bass or hybridized renewable solution. So I think this is a global recognized trend. Also, today's extreme warm in Munich that also reminds us that they still have a lot of things to do. We still got a lot of distance to work to achieve a greener and the cleaner world, So I think that's also quite important.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think. Actually that's an interesting point as well, is that if we look in most northern Europe, we don't have air conditioning, right, But I think if we're here in ten years time, not only do we have an air conditioned room that we'll be in, but I think we have air conditioning everywhere. Right. The climate is changing in north of Europe.
Speaker 3: It's become a warmer, right, yes, I think so I believe there will be a new space for air conditioning business. So but we should do I mean maybe new version of air conditioning which is a more iro mental friendly way.
Speaker 1: But the good news is that if you think of it, if it's a warm day like today, what do you have? You have lots of sun. So actually tying in air conditioning into solar makes a huge amount of difference.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, right, actually we do see beer like solar system residential plus you know, you're probably today's live heating pump, electrical heating pump, so the plus best plus heating pump.
Speaker 4: This is a typical solution.
Speaker 3: Maybe future will be adding air conditioning to this system. And economically and also you'ron mentally should be.
Speaker 1: Both benefit from this type of system and listen back to the show here. I think one thing for me that's really interesting is just how big it's got. I think if we remember being here over a decade ago, there was probably two or three halls right in a and I don't know how many there is today is are ten or eleven? And why I said is it just gives you an idea of what's changed in the last ten years, which this industry has gone from being maybe niche market to being a mass market, right.
Speaker 4: Right, you're right. Previously only a couple horses.
Speaker 3: Now the exhibition area like ABC a foot occupied. I think that's also reflect our industry developments. So especially like same in China, when we step into this industry in the year two thousan six, if you tell normal people about we're doing solar there, I mean, natural reaction is like oh you are doing like solar heating. Oh yeah, not PV right right, But today if you talk to anyone from China say we are doing solar, the definitely know you are doing a PV generation. So I think that's a total different level of understanding about renewable. So that also refers to why there are so many more and the more participants during this industry. And you are purslutely right that from a niche market now become a mainstream like in China. But this training point also caused a lot of challenges for us previously just not in enough supply of renewable but now probably it is over supply of renewable.
Speaker 4: So though, I think because that's a growing pain that we have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe we could dig a little bit more into China because the one thing that's for me very interesting is that if I went back ten years ago, I really couldn't name a Chinese business. Now, your own business, chint is, you know, one of the leading transformer manufacturers in the world, and obviously you're in all technologies across energy, but there's a whole hole of other businesses out there that are Chinese and leaders in the space and actually if the mons we go around the hall, I almost get the feeling that there's more Chinese here than the right Germans, even though we're in Germany right, which is a reflection of what's going on. So I'd love to hear your thoughts on what happened, Why has China sort of taken the bull by the horn in this whole renewables energy technology space, and just it gives a sense.
Speaker 3: Of that we actually experienced a whole journey of these kind of developments, as I mentioned in the year two sound six when we step being only a few a manufacturing company for pvpanel and by that time I think the major market.
Speaker 4: Is only Europe.
Speaker 3: But today you see global wise renewables on the developments, so market size is like one hundred times computer.
Speaker 4: To the beginning point.
Speaker 3: So China start actually have any PV policy, It probably starts in.
Speaker 4: The year two pound twelve.
Speaker 3: So by that year China gum initiate the FIT scheme. But why I mean there's an fiit scheme in the year two sound twelve because in that year we face trading barrier like us by that time start doing anti dumping case against the China module and from Europe. There's an investigation about the free trade as well, and in the end Europe Unity decided to do a minimum price mechanism, so we call MIP mechanism. That's the challenge you face at that time for China suppliers. So that's the reason I mean push the Chinese government initiates the local mark.
Speaker 4: Before that, there's no fight scheme.
Speaker 3: Solar poor generation shares the same price as co poor guration, so incentive wise, there's no economic return for solar. But you should know we start doing this from two thousd six, so most of our products.
Speaker 4: Go to Europe, public go to us.
Speaker 3: But we also I mean one interesting things like we start doing solar park developments in China in the year two thousand and nine, so three years ahead we'll try to have the fit scheme. You could say we are very brief, but we do feel like we trust that the government from China central level going to initiate renewable policy. So this is why we are early mover to start develop a process. So after our project developed, constructed and interconnected, it's a year probably twenty ten eleven. Then the second year twenty twelve, China had a nationalwide fit program. You ask me why trying to move so fast, because I would say one major reason is, like most of the player in Sola, we were a private company. I mean at this that time, private means private investors, not stay owned or not. I mean government evolved. So we do our decision very efficiently and we do feel the market trend. So since Europe has the ft program, US have a tax rebate program. We believe I mean as a major player with one point four billion population, I believe China Garment is gonna initiate a program to promote renewable So.
Speaker 4: That's why we do this in head of the legislation.
Speaker 3: I would call this like entrepreneur brieve to move forward in the renewable sector. But of course I mean with that legislation, more and more players join renewable adventure. But we do face a trade barrier as I mentioned. But technology wise, we indeed receive a lot of support from Europe. So I mean from beginning we have all our European customer. They actually helped us by quality check by claims, so that actually pushed us from the other side, like you have to do your quality better, you have to move your technology better. That push us a lot so in order to grab more and more customers. So these standards the vary before Europe, it's way ahead of China. So these helped us to grow up faster. Chinese people are always quite diligent and we work.
Speaker 4: Day and night in order to move faster.
Speaker 3: So I think that that we'll get a very good beginning point since we have the policy to promote renewable much.
Speaker 4: Later than Europe.
Speaker 3: Then we will absorb all these their lessons about their experiences, so we can have a very nice nationalwide the ft scheme, really.
Speaker 1: Push it a lot, so that that's solar. It seems to me from the outside that the opposite happened in batteries, that actually you started with the batteries first, and actually you then kicked off markets like EV's Best before us. Is that what happened then, or am I misinterpreting the whole Battery best movement?
Speaker 3: I would say similar because Best starts later than ev EV. China is a really early mover. But I think for EV most of the players are also from private sector. Then I think their this is not based on a feeling of the marketing mind, but a feeling like if we want be one of the major players to produce in car. What kind of diffrctiation we should do from China because Germany is a car I mean famous for all these messidas, all the I mean all these car brand and the China has a lot of jv for manufacturing cars, but we don't have our own technology for super nice engine switch gear. So those Chinese entrepreneur are going to think about how we can defeciate ourselves in carn industry. Think they came way answer, if I do EV, you don't need the engine that could shorten our path to catch up. Luckily, we also have a quite nice battery industry, but their time because most of the cell phone battery for I mean consumer oriented, the products battery of producer in China. So this is why some of the Chinese brand like bid I think they decide maybe fifteen twenty years ago they say we only do EV car hybrid from the beginning, but later pure EV cars.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you a little bit about the entrepreneur versus stage role in China, because what I get from the outside is that what China does is unleashes animal spirits. In other words, there's entrepreneurs in every state and they're competing with each other, and there's a direction given by the Chinese government and people just run and whoever gets there quicker and bigger wins. Is that the way to look at it or how do you as an entrepreneur look at it?
Speaker 3: I mean, China geographically is quite big, so culture are also different even inside China. So most of the private entrepreneurs they came from southeast China. Why because sausage China is close to a sea, so you have like this kind of open culture. Second is like Celsi is a China has a less natural resource and has a less core industrial foundation in the past, so mostly is an entrepreneur. They have to struggle for live. This is why they are quite creative.
Speaker 4: To do things.
Speaker 3: And the government in these areas they won't interfere much on your business creation. But on the other hand, they just set up all the regulation, make as transparent as possible, and they can make sure that if the photos is rule, it's illegal. So this kind of environment actually supports a lot. But northern part western part of China is different. It's reached in for lampo in natural resource, so in those areas, more stay owned the company to do those resource busits. So I think that's the difference. So even in China, you see if you look at those EV company or renewable company, the mainly from for Ample, Shanghai, Han Joe, Shinten, these areas, these are the southeastern area.
Speaker 1: Okay, we look at China. I mean, for me, like China's fifty percent of everything, so it produces more than fifty percent of everything. And what it also does it installs fifty percent of everything. So fifty percent of world evs produced and bought in China, the same as soldars, et cetera, et cetera. Talk a little bit about that and how that has come about, right, because it just seems so enormous that I'm trying to get my head around whether there's that was really planned in advance, this is what we're going to do, or did it as did it just happen through a mixture of entrepreneurship and Locke.
Speaker 3: I would say half half half. So it's not I think a planned from beginning. First of all, from the China government from central government to provincial government always do five years plan. So five years plan in strategic paper. You can follow what government push promote, but Meanwhile, you have to do your own job. So half is a plan, but the other half is based on this entrepreneur's decision decide where they should put their money. So since most of the entrepreneurs, they are very small guys, they learned from the world like it should be the trend from either side of the world, I mean outside of China, and China could be late mover, but we really do everything very efficient the first so we learn a lot. For Lample, those legislations how to promote renewable like fit. Then fit depends on different irridition resource, so the change previously it's in China the same fit, which I mean you can stand. I mean with different irritation level, same fit. It won't make any sense to do investment in those low irluation area. So then they classifying three a different level of fit. So Gum also changed with a reflect for the business man, so it's planned, but the plan is motivated by those feedback from the real business and also for Lample for the manufacturing govern also gives you a lot for support if you can do your own invention IP for renewables for evs to push you a lot. I think that's a major reason China why I can do things more efficiently. The government is always also supports you.
Speaker 1: Again, I'm going to maybe look at the numbers of installs in China, particular solar in the last few years. You look at it, the numbers are off the charts in terms of you know, when you're adding three hundred gigawatts a year to a system, you cannot grow continue, No.
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 3: So that's the two edge of the sward. So sometimes your gross high growth ratio actually will become the hurdle for sustainability. It's like last year China switched the fixed electricity scheme into a pure merchant scheme. Even for existing centralized solar, but there's a date retroactive or not. So for residential there's no retroactive. For industrial CNI, there's a non attractive effect. But for large scale, since it's a major portion, you have to follow this turning point, so that that actually pushed the installation to catch that deadline. That in the end, the why it make you three hundred gigwas but this year I see, but I always say it would be significant decrease with the installation in China.
Speaker 1: Since this go pure much it okay, which goes back to sort of something you said earlier on which is and I feel that when I'm here as well. It's not just in Chinese, you sort of feel in Europe it's the same thing, which is your best is going to boom, but solar is going to go through a difficult period the next few years. And you talked a little bit maybe about we could be coming into it where there's oversupply in the market, which probably and by the way, it's not just in Chinese producers, it's also in European solar developers. The whole value chain probably will go through a little bit of consolidation over the next period of time. Do you see that or what's your thinking and all of us and how do you deal with it as a company in this space.
Speaker 3: Different companies have their own strategy for us. Even while the solo is very strong deminding, we consider we must develop our own value chain from end to end, not just I do only manufacturing. There will be very tough if the market condition get changed. So this is why I mentioned from the year two thousd six we start doing manufacturing, but from the year two thousand and nine we start doing downstream project developments to do the value chain developments. Then later we also do OM and for development parts. Besides doing the large scale we do CNI. We are pioneered in China doing CNI as well, doing residential as well, so we do all kinds of deerments and the OM and we now also involved in micrograde operation.
Speaker 4: So we believe we have to.
Speaker 3: Extend our value chain. Probably part of the valley chain face challenge, but the rest should be fine. So this is our company, I mean, but some company may be different.
Speaker 4: They have different business stream which is not related.
Speaker 3: Probably this one big stream has a issue, but the other bin stream is fine. But I would say you're right, it's for that in the next couple of years, probably best will be very booming, but solar face challenge for the size. But after the best getting stored, then you have more baliness in capacity to release for a new round of solar installation.
Speaker 4: But it won't be as strong as before, but.
Speaker 3: It would be I think still a decent demand global wise.
Speaker 1: So does this mean that you use a business that really need to look at creating new markets? In other words, you need to look at places like Africa, South America exactly. So you go and how do you do that and how are you doing that?
Speaker 3: Latin America and for the data we receive this year, the growth in Latin America and the Southeast Asia is still quite nice. The traditional market now gets shrinked a little bit. We do see the trend that we need have to explore more based opportunity in those market. But I think the application of solar system in those market different. But that means you have to improve a polish your system solution. In Latin America, in Southeast Asia, there's a lot of off grade system or mean you have to price provide solar system at a very weak grade situation, so that that means you have to hybridize with a diesel as a backup. Previously, while the solar cost is very high, it's not possible. But today solar plus best to replace diesel usage actually become a quite nice economic Well.
Speaker 1: The one thing that's been interesting from our conversations, I've always been impressed about the fact that you've just you take risks and you go to other areas before other people did it. So, for example, you told me the story of how you set up this residential business in COVID Times could you talk a little bit about that, because I think this is ready. Just to give an idea the scale of what you did and how you did it, and then i'd also maybe finally just ask you to give us a view of how you see the business. We're going to sit here in five years time, what's the business going to be like?
Speaker 3: We're gonna be the residential. As I mentioned, China has a very big population base. Still a lot of people live in countryside, the villages. They own this loof, but their major target is like they won't have more income compared to you have a pure even mental preference to have zola. So we care to that point. We invest all the system bells, we rent their roof and they share the income with them, so they feel very happy. They don't have to pay anything, but they get written. So with that bas more actually spread spread out with more than three thousand agent in China to push our systems. So now we occupy about thirty five market share in China. So cumulatively well already install the more than sixty gigawats pure residential rooftop sixty.
Speaker 4: In US ten years.
Speaker 3: So even in COVID time, I mean China has a block like managed with different villages, then you can still work I mean really in that block. So we have this kind of agent's courage, so we still manage our business.
Speaker 4: But for the next five years, I.
Speaker 3: Will say the world is very dynamic, so everything is moving, including geopolitics probably I mean industry trends. So it's hard to predict, but we believe the direction all the business should be greener, more digitalized, and the more automatic. So these three directions we believe for next years. It's still a certainty for the directions. But how you do this it depends on your company's strategy. So we are a Chinese company for electrical equipment solution and the renewable equipment solution. We have the natural advantage to do greener, digitalization and automation. Basically we will work more close to for Lample data center combined with renewable I don't have the answer, but I do see the directions.
Speaker 1: Okay, Wison, thank you very very MUCHAI for coming on the podcast, and I'm looking forward to seeing you soon. Thank you well. Use out there and listen to it. So or what did you think.
Speaker 2: The interesting thing is that's generative from the inside, not all the study we do from the outside on China, and what's fascinating for me, it's the entrepreneurship and the animal spirit and that most of the time the government comes after they start developing the green shoots, and then the government helped them to scale. But if there were no entrepreneur in China, none of what we're seeing right now would exist. Behind bid, behind catl Bich. They are a group of fabulous entrepreneurs.
Speaker 1: And actually, I want to make a point there. What we think is our China is all five year plans, they point the direction everyone goes. But actually what we're sort of saying is it's not that case. What it is is the entrepreneurs are showing this is what's possible, and then the government is coming in and supporting that. And the best example of that as a solar industry, because if you go back twenty years ago around there was no solo market in China. Well guess what they did. They all went to Germany and it was entrepreneur driven blah blah blah, and then the Chinese government came in and sort of said, okay, well we're going to help you scale your factories. And by the way, we're going to create a market. And then you certainly have the situation today where China is one third of everything, third of installs the solar wind, third of installs globally of evs. That's what we've got, but it's driven by this animal spirits that we have in around among the entrepreneurs across China.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look, doctor Lu really embodies the regional economic and cultural differences between the South of China, which is entrepreneurial, resource poor but open to the world, building private sector culture, and that contrasts really sharply with the cold dependent state control north of China. So there are in fact two China and China works when the two walk together.
Speaker 1: I like that around it. It's also in some ways what we do, and whether it's North American and Europe, you also have the resource driven parts of the continent and you've also got the ones that have to trade because they don't have anything. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, it was a very interesting conversation and we'll go next year to whatever the name is, but we still call it Intersola because we see so much and we learn so much. Okay, Joah, that's the beginning of our summer series. So we'll have a lot of conversation we have had along the first half of the year. Another channel that we're going to use for the podcast, and they are very interestingly good.
Speaker 1: My friend, thank you for.
Speaker 3: Listening to Redefining Energy.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to rate the show and subscribe on Apple, Podcast, Spotify, or the platform of your choice.