Speaker 1: All right, let's do this. You guys requested this one alatady. Today we're diving into tour and the dark web.
Speaker 2: Ooh yeah, this should be a fun one.
Speaker 1: It's a little scary, to be honest, but it's one of those Internet things everyone's heard.
Speaker 2: Of, right, It's like one of those urban legends exactly.
Speaker 1: So let's like uncover the myth. We've got some great sources, a beginner's guide to tour, descriptions of the deep Web and darknet. Oh, and even some lists of actual dark websites.
Speaker 2: Wow, real dark website.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So maybe a little scary after all.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe. But seriously, though, there's a lot of confusion about what tour even.
Speaker 1: Is, right, like, is it good bad?
Speaker 2: Well, our sources make it clear that it's not inherently either. It's just technology. Think of it like a really really good lock on your digital door.
Speaker 1: Okay, a lock so anyone.
Speaker 2: Can use it exactly. And that's where things get well complicated.
Speaker 1: Because like some people use locks to protect their homes, yeah, and other people use them to you know, hide legal stuff exactly.
Speaker 2: With tor we see both sides of that coin. You've got journalists in oppressive regimes using it to communicate safely whistleblowers exposing corruption without getting caught.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm starting to see the lock analogy. So the lock itself isn't good or bad, it's how people use.
Speaker 2: It, right, and our sources really highlight that duality.
Speaker 1: Okay, so before we get into all the ways people use TOR, let's actually break down what it is and how it works. Sure, our source calls it the onion router, which I don't know about you, but that makes me think of food.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, yeah, not quite the right image here, right, think of an onion. But instead of layers of well onion, it has layers of encryption. And those layers they hide your Internet traffic.
Speaker 1: Okay, so each layer is like a disguise.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it makes it almost impossible to trace your activity back to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm intrigued, But how does that actually work? Is it magic?
Speaker 2: Ha huh?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Well sort of, but seriously, it's clever engineering. Imagine a relay race. Your data, instead of being sent directly to the website you're visiting, goes through these relay stations.
Speaker 1: Relay stations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're called nodes, and there are three of them, Entry, Middle, and exit three.
Speaker 1: So my data is just bouncing all over the place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and here's the key. Each node it only knows where the data came from before it and where it's going next.
Speaker 1: Okay, so no single node knows the full path exactly.
Speaker 2: So someone trying to track you, they hit a dead end at each node. They can't see the whole picture.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, that's actually pretty cool. So it's like my data is passing a secret message along and each person only knows their little part exactly.
Speaker 2: That's why it's called onion routing. You'd have to peel back all those layers to get to the core, and even then you still might not know where it came from originally.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I think I'm getting tour now. It's this super secure way to browse the Internet anonymously.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 1: But what are we actually accessing with this onion routing? That's where the deep web and dark web come.
Speaker 2: In, right, you got it? Now it gets interesting, Hit me with it. Our source uses this iceberg analogy.
Speaker 1: I love it, okay, picturing an iceberg.
Speaker 2: So the tick the part everyone sees above the water, that's the surface web.
Speaker 1: Okay, So like Google, Facebook, Amazon, all that.
Speaker 2: Yep, all the stuff you can find with a regular search engine. Now below the surface, that's where the deep web starts.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's down there?
Speaker 2: It's all the content that's not indexed by those regular search engines.
Speaker 1: Okay, so like what give me examples.
Speaker 2: Think about your online banking You can't just google your account balance, right, that's because it's on the deep web. Same with things like a company's internal network or government databases. Our source actually mentions a really specific one, the Denver Property Assessment and Taxation system.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm seeing that the deep web isn't automatically bad or.
Speaker 2: Anything, right, It's just not hidden. You usually need special credentials to access it, like a password or a subscription.
Speaker 1: Okay. I think I'm starting to get it. Deep web hidden but not necessarily bad. But then we have the dark web.
Speaker 2: Now we're going deeper.
Speaker 1: So what makes it dark.
Speaker 2: It's a smaller part of the deep web, but it's intentionally hidden, like way down at the bottom of that iceberg, and you need special software to even get there, like tour exactly. Tour is like the key that unlocks the door to the dark web.
Speaker 1: Okay, and this is where we find the scary stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunately. Remember those dark website lists we have. Yeah, they mentioned things like marketplaces for drugs, weapons, stolen data, even stuff like hitman services and child pornography.
Speaker 1: Whoa, Okay, yeah that took a dark turn, like seriously dark.
Speaker 2: It's heavy stuff and it definitely gives the dark web a bad reputation for sure.
Speaker 1: So who are the people using tour to access all of this? Is it just like criminals and hoodies in dark rooms?
Speaker 2: Uh huh not at all. Our sources actually paint a much more diverse picture. Think about Edward Snowden, the NSA guy. Yeah, he used tour to leak all that classified information right right.
Speaker 1: So door can be used for whistleblowing exposing corruption exactly.
Speaker 2: And think about activists during the Arab Spring uprisings. They use tour to organize protests without being tracked by their governments.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, so tour can be used for fighting for freedom, exposing the truth.
Speaker 2: That's powerful stuff.
Speaker 1: I've seen that tour can be a tool for like real good. But obviously there's that dark side too, right.
Speaker 2: And somewhere in the middle you have everyday people who are just concerned about online privacy.
Speaker 1: Which, honestly, these days that's a valid concern totally.
Speaker 2: They might use tour to avoid being tracked by advertisers, for example, or to access websites that are blocked in their country.
Speaker 1: So it's almost like tour is a digital shield for some people.
Speaker 2: It is a way to protect themselves, their identity, their information. But yeah, you're right, it can also be a mask for the people doing illegal.
Speaker 1: Things, right, And that's what makes it so complicated, this one tool, tour. It could be used by both sides.
Speaker 2: It's the duality of technology, I guess.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which, we have those specific examples of dark websites. Some of them are not what I expected, Like the chess it's for anonymous chess games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not all about illegal activity on the dark web. Some people simply value their anonymity, even for something as simple as a game.
Speaker 1: I kind of get that, Like you're not worried about your opponent judging.
Speaker 2: You exactly, It levels the playing field.
Speaker 1: Then we have pro Publica that's a legitimate award winning journalism site. Right, what are they doing on the dark web?
Speaker 2: Think about how they get their information, whistleblowers, sources risking their lives to expose wrongdoing.
Speaker 1: Right, they need a safe way to communicate.
Speaker 2: The dark web gives them that. Our source also mentions secure drop, which is specifically designed for anonymous communication with journalists.
Speaker 1: So tour in the dark web are actually helping to hold the powerful accountable.
Speaker 2: It's a powerful tool for transparency and accountability.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm really seeing both sides now. Okay, so we've got anonymous chess secure communication for journalists. What else is going on in the dark web.
Speaker 2: Well, there's Grams, which is like the Google of the dark web. It's a search engine specifically for finding dark websites.
Speaker 1: So even the dark web has its own Google wild Right.
Speaker 2: It shows you that this isn't just a random collection of sites. There's infrastructure, there, a whole system.
Speaker 1: It's like a hidden world running parallel to the Internet.
Speaker 2: We know absolutely, and that's what makes it so fascinating.
Speaker 1: Okay, but with all this talk about anonymity and hidden websites, got asked, is any of this legal?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 1: The legal question, like, is it illegal to just browse the dark web?
Speaker 2: That's where things get a bit tricky. Browsing itself, just looking around that's not illegal in most places.
Speaker 1: So I can satisfy my curiosity without getting arrested.
Speaker 2: Probably, However, accessing or engaging with illegal content that's definitely against the law.
Speaker 1: So like, I can look at the menu, but I shouldn't order anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a good way to put it. You're walking through a dangerous neighborhood. You can look around, but maybe don't go down any dark alleys.
Speaker 1: Okay, good advice. But even if I'm just browsing, there are still risks.
Speaker 2: Right, law enforcement agencies they are monitoring the dark web.
Speaker 1: So anonymity isn't foolproof.
Speaker 2: It's not. Plus there's malware, scams, all those digital dangers lurking in the shadows.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you got to be extra cautious when venturing into the dark web. But before we get into all the safety tips, let's actually dig into some of the things you might find there, both the good and the bad. Like what's really going on in those dark web marketplaces?
Speaker 2: All right, you ready to go deeper?
Speaker 1: Let's do it. I'm a little scared but also really curious.
Speaker 2: That's the spirit. It really is a mixed bag. You've got those dark corners, for sure, but then you also find things that are well, surprisingly.
Speaker 1: Normal, normal like cat videos.
Speaker 2: Huh, maybe not that normal, but think private forums and chat.
Speaker 1: Rooms okay, like anonymous message boards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. It's kind of like an anonymous version of Reddit. People can discuss anything they want without revealing their identities.
Speaker 1: I see. So it's like a digital masquerade ball. Yeah, everyone's hiding behind a.
Speaker 2: Mask, exactly, and that can lead to some really interesting conversations. You have people discussing politics, philosophy, art, everyday life.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about illegal activities.
Speaker 2: Right, There's a whole social aspect to the dark web that often gets overlooked. People craving that sense of freedom and anonymity that you just don't get on the regular Internet.
Speaker 1: And I imagine that's especially appealing for people in countries with strict Internet censorship.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the dark web can be a lifeline for them, a way to connect with the outside world access information that's otherwise blocked.
Speaker 1: So it's a tool for freedom of speech in a way.
Speaker 2: You could say that it gives a voice to those who might otherwise be silenced.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got forums, chat rooms, anything else surprising going on in those depths.
Speaker 2: Well, believe it or not, there are even academic journals on the dark web.
Speaker 1: Wait, really, academic journals? Why would those be on the dark Web?
Speaker 2: A few reasons. Actually, Sometimes it's about protecting the authors or the research itself. Imagine your stuf having a controversial topic, maybe in a country where that research could get you.
Speaker 1: In trouble, right, makes sense.
Speaker 2: The dark web offers a layer of protection, a way to publish your findings without fear of reprisal.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. So it's like a digital safe house for knowledge that might otherwise.
Speaker 2: Be suppressed exactly. And then sometimes it's just about reaching a wider audience. Not everyone has access to expensive academic databases, but the dark web, anyone with the know how can get there.
Speaker 1: Huh. So it's like democratizing knowledge in a way, making it accessible to people who might not have had the opportunity otherwise.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It challenges the traditional gatekeepers of information and creates new possibilities for sharing knowledge. It's quite fascinating when you think about it.
Speaker 1: It is. It's like flipping the script on the whole academic publishing.
Speaker 2: World in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so we've got forums, chat rooms, academic journals. I'm seeing that the dark web's more diverse than I initially thought.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's a whole world down there. Oh and remember that dark web chess site we mentioned earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the chess right, for anonymous chess games, that's the one.
Speaker 2: It's a great example of how anonymity can actually enhance certain experiences.
Speaker 1: Okay, explain that one to me.
Speaker 2: Think about it. When you play chess online, you usually have a rating, a profile, all that stuff. People can judge you based on your past performance.
Speaker 1: True. True, it can be intimidating.
Speaker 2: Right, But on the chess none of that matters. It's just you, your opponent and the game itself, no distractions.
Speaker 1: I actually kind of love that, pure strategy, pure competition.
Speaker 2: Right, it's a playing chess in the park with a complete stranger.
Speaker 1: You can just focus on the game itself without all the other baggage exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a fascinating example of how anonymity can create a more level playing field and even enhance certain experiences.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, I'm having to rethink some of my preconceptions about the dark Web.
Speaker 2: It's not all bad, definitely not. There are corners of creativity, community, even intellectual pursuit down there.
Speaker 1: Well, let's be real, we can't ignore the elephant in the room. The dark web has a seriously dark side.
Speaker 2: Of course, we have to acknowledge that.
Speaker 1: Those online marketplaces we've talked about, the ones our sources described, they sound kind of terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can be. It's basically a digital black market.
Speaker 1: So what exactly is being bought and sold in these dark web marketplaces.
Speaker 2: It's a long list, and a lot of it's pretty unsettling. Drugs, weapons, stolen data, counterfeit documents, hacking tools, even malware and ransomware.
Speaker 1: So basically, anything illegal or difficult to obtain in the real world, you can probably find it on the dark web.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, yes, and the anonymity that tour provides, well, it makes it incredibly difficult for law enforcement to track down the seller shut down these marketplaces.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a constant game of whack a mole.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to put it. They shut down one site, another one pops up in its place, and these marketplaces they're getting more sophisticated all the time. They have escro services, customer reviews, even loyalty programs, just like legitimate online businesses.
Speaker 1: It's like they've created a parallel economy in the shadows they have.
Speaker 2: That's a big part of what makes the dark web so fascinating and so disturbing at the same time. It's a reflection of our own world, with all its complexities and contradictions.
Speaker 1: So what are some examples of these notorious dark web marketplaces? Our source mentioned a few.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the most well known is silk Road. It was shut down by the FBI back in twenty thirteen, but for a while it was the place to go for illegal goods, online drugs, weapons.
Speaker 1: You name it, silk Road. This sounds almost romantic until you remember what was actually being sold there.
Speaker 2: Right, It's a good reminder that appearances can be deceiving, especially on the dark Web.
Speaker 1: So Silk Road's gone, but I'm guessing there.
Speaker 2: Are others, oh countless others, and they're constantly evolving, adapting to avoid detection.
Speaker 1: It's kind of scary how organized it all seems.
Speaker 2: It is. It shows you that this isn't just a few random individuals dabbling in illegal activities. This is organized crime operating on a global scale.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got marketplaces, illegal goods, what are the what kinds of illegal activities are happening on the dark web.
Speaker 2: Well, cybercrime is a big one. Hackers use the dark web to buy and sell stolen data, hacking tools, malware. They can even hire other hackers to carry out attax for them.
Speaker 1: It's like a digital underworld, it is, and it's.
Speaker 2: A growing threat. Think about all those ransomware attacks that have been happening lately, crippling businesses and even government agencies. A lot of that activity originates on the dark web.
Speaker 1: Ransomware that's where they lock up your files and demand payment to unlock them exactly.
Speaker 2: It's digital extortion and it's a very lucrative business for cyber criminals. The dark web provides them with a platform to develop and distribute their malware, as well as to launder the money they extort from their victims.
Speaker 1: It's like a whole criminal ecosystem, it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's becoming more and more sophisticated all the time.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've covered marketplaces cybercrime. There's one more dark corner of the dark web. I want to touch on our source Mangins Hitman services.
Speaker 2: Ah. Yes, that's definitely one of the more disturbed aspects of the dark web. It's hard to say how much of it is real and how much is just a scam?
Speaker 1: I mean, would someone really try to hire a hitman through the dark web?
Speaker 2: There have been cases, yes, Whether these services are legitimate or just elaborate scams, it's hard to say for sure, but the fact that they exist at all is pretty chilling.
Speaker 1: Definitely chilling. Okay, okay, We've covered a lot of ground here, the good, the bad, the downright terrifying. But before we wrap up, let's talk about safety.
Speaker 2: Yes, super important.
Speaker 1: If someone's listening to this and thinking, hmm, maybe I want to check out this dark web thing, what should they keep in mind?
Speaker 2: First of all, you have to go in with a clear understanding of the risks. It's a bit like exploring a dense jungle. It's fascinating, but it can also be dangerous if you're not careful.
Speaker 1: So what kind of dangerous?
Speaker 2: Well, obviously, there's the risk of encountering illegal content, which could get you in trouble with the law, even if you're just looking.
Speaker 1: Got it, so be careful what you click on exactly.
Speaker 2: But there are also more insidious threats like malware and fishing scams.
Speaker 1: Malware that's like a computer virus.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, it can infect your computers, steal your data, all sorts of nasty stuff and phishing scams. Those are designed to trick you into giving up your personal information, like your passwords or credit card details.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how do I protect myself from all of that?
Speaker 2: First and foremost, never reveal any personal information on the dark web, not your real name, your address, your phone number, anything that could be used to identify you.
Speaker 1: So stay anonymous even when I'm interacting with others on the.
Speaker 2: Dark web exactly. Think of it like wearing a digital mask. And make sure you're using strong, unique passwords for all your accounts. Don't reuse passwords.
Speaker 1: Got it? What else? Security software is essential. Make sure you have a good anti virus and anti malware program installed and kept updated. And consider using a VPN in conjunction with tour for an extra layer of protection.
Speaker 2: Okay, VPN plus tour, got it? Now? What about those dark web marketplaces? Should I even be browsing those?
Speaker 1: Honestly, unless you have a good reason to be there, I'd avoid them altogether. They're inherently risky and you could easily stumble across something illegal even if you're not looking for it.
Speaker 2: So it's best to err on the side of caution.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, the dark web is a fascinating place, but it's also a dangerous one. If you do decide to explore it, do it with a clear understanding of the risks and take the necessary precautions to protect yourself.
Speaker 2: Great advice. Okay, I think we've covered just about everything here. Any final thoughts before we wrap up.
Speaker 1: The dark web is a complex and ever evolving ecosystem. It's a microcosm of our own world, with all its light and shadow. It's a reminder that the Internet is not always a safe and friendly place, but it's also a testament to human ingenuity and the enduring allure of anonymity. Well said, and for you listening, I hope this deep dive has given you a better understanding of this hidden part of the Internet. Remember, knowledge is power, and the more we understand about the technologies that shape our world, the better equipped we are to navigate them safely and responsibly.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 1: Now, before we go, remember at the start of this whole thing you said we got a ton of requests to cover tour in the dark Web. We did, and a lot of those requests came with questions, and one question in particular kept popping up. It's a big one, a question that really gets to the heart of what we've been talking about today. Oh yeah, it's about anonymity. Given its potential for both good and bad. Is anonymity ultimately a force for good or bad in today's world?
Speaker 2: Ah, the million dollar question. It's one that doesn't have an easy answer, but it's definitely worth exploring. I'd say buckle up because this is where things get really interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is a tough one. I mean, we've seen how anonymity can be used to protect the vulnerable, like those activists we talked about. Yeah, right, But then it also enables criminals to operate in the shadows, hidden from the law.
Speaker 2: It's a classic dilemma, a tool with the potential for both good and evil.
Speaker 1: So where do you land on this? Is anonymity more of a benefit or a threat to society?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I don't think there's a simple answer. It's like asking if fire is good or bad?
Speaker 1: Okay, fire, I like that, right.
Speaker 2: Fire can warm your home, cook your food, but it can also burn everything down.
Speaker 1: So anonymity is kind of the same. It can be used for good or bad depending on the context exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's what makes it so challenging to regulate.
Speaker 1: Because how do we control the fire, so to speak? How do we harness the benefits of anonymity without letting it run wild?
Speaker 2: That's the question everyone's grappling with governments, tech companies, ethicists, everyone. How do we find that balance? How do we regulate these technologies without stifling innovation or trampling on individual rights?
Speaker 1: Sounds tricky? It is.
Speaker 2: It's a delicate balancing act and there's no easy solution.
Speaker 1: But we have to do something right. We can't just throw our hands up and say, well, anonymity is complicated.
Speaker 2: Agreed, Throwing our hands up isn't the answer. I think for starters, we need more open and honest conversations about the trade offs, more education about what anonymity tools like tour actually do and how they can be used responsibly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, education is key because demonizing the technology outright isn't going to work. That's like banning fire because some people use it to commit arson exactly.
Speaker 2: It's about finding ways to mitigate the risks without eliminating the potential benefits.
Speaker 1: Right, So more education.
Speaker 2: What else we need to empower law enforcement to adapt to this new landscape. They need the tools and resources to investigate crimes that happen in these anonymous online spaces.
Speaker 1: So it's like a digital arms race, the good guys versus the bad guys in a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's a race we can't afford to lose. Anonymity is here to stay. It's only going to become more important as our lives move further online.
Speaker 1: So it's not about getting rid of anonymity. It's about learning to live with it, manage it, use it for good.
Speaker 2: You got it? And that requires all of a stork together, individuals, governments, tech companies. We need to find ways to create a digital world where anonymity can be a force for good while the potential for harm.
Speaker 1: That's a great point. This isn't just a tech issue. It's a societal issue. We all have a role to play. Absolutely well, you've definitely given us a lot to think about this whole deep dive. It's been eye opening. We started with this kind of mysterious, scary concept of tour and the dark web, Yeah we did, and we've uncovered so much the technical side of tour, the good, the bad, the ugly, the dark web, the ethical dilemmas that come with anonymity. It's complex, it really is. But I think we've shed some light on this hidden corner of the Internet, I hope.
Speaker 2: So. It's a fascinating world down there, and it's a reminder that the Internet is a constantly evolving landscape.
Speaker 1: Always changing, always surprising us well listeners. We hope this deep dive has been informative and maybe a little bit thought provoking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, keep those questions coming.
Speaker 1: Exactly because the more we learn, the more we understand, the better choices we can make about how we use these technologies, how we shape the future of the Internet.
Speaker 2: The future is in our hands.
Speaker 1: So until next time, keep learning, keep questioning, and keep exploring.