Speaker 1: In many ways, Payanier is the original stable. We collect funds we give the customers that pay in your account balance and then plug it into the way that they do business across the world. I think the distributed nature of blockchain creates some new opportunities for some of those services to move totally digital, and that's awesome.
Speaker 2: It seems like enterprises com Latch are unstable quin. So can banks and other types of payment companies and financial institutions. Do you think there might be some consolidation over time.
Speaker 1: It's a really good question. I think it comes back to how you view the role of stable quins.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by Treasure. Treasure makes beautifully crafted hardware wallets that allow you to easily and safely store your crypto assets. Treasure has been in the game for a very long time, since twenty thirteen. They were the pioneers of hardware wallets and the seed phrase setup, and their hardware wallets are open source. In fact, my favorite is the Treasure Safe five. It's a beautifully designed and easy to you whose hardware wallet guys, and it's my go to and they support a variety of coins, all your top crypto tokens, your big coins, your x rpe Ethereum, Solana and much more, and even new coins, even black Rock's Biddle token. So they support coins on the institutional side where you have tokenization of different assets and much more. And they even offer a great service that helps you to get your treasure device set up. You get one on one customer support from their team, so you can check that out as well. So once again, I'm a big fan of this hardware wallet. So if you'd like to learn more, visit the link in the description. Hey, folks, welcome into the Thinking Crypto Podcast. I'm your host Tony Edward and joining me today's Rob Morgan, who is the head of stable coin strategy at Pioneer. Rob. Great to have you, hey, Jony, Thanks for having me. Yeah, Rob, excited to talk about payments and stable coins and this brand new world that we are all immersed into. But I'd love to kick it off with your background. Tell us a bit about where you're from, where you grow up in your professional.
Speaker 1: Backer awesome happy too. So I am from Boston, Massachusetts, originally have grown up all over the country, spent some time in Salt Lake, currently based in Washington, d C. With my wife and dog, my yellow labrador Rocky.
Speaker 2: Very cool, and then I saw you spend some time at the ABA the American Bankers Association. Tell us about that experience in working with the banking sector. Yeah, so I have spent my career at the intersection of banking, technology and regulation. Most of my career is much more on the banking side than the crypto side, although I've found my job has always been to try to translate between the two and in many cases bring banks along with what's new and what's coming down the pipeline to help them innovate move faster. So I spent twelve years at the ABA, where I built and led our Office of Innovation. So that meant doing really three things. One was helping banks work with new stage startup to see what new technology was coming, how can we integrate that technology create partnerships. Two, we actually ran a corporate venture fund to make investments that in technology that we thought was beneficial for the banking industry as a whole. And then three was trying to push for regulatory clarity to help banks actually move forward in the space and open up the path for banks to do new and innovative things. Which is which is not always easy in a highly regulated environment. Absolutely, and so you know, talking about your role of looking at innovation and helping these banks to look at these different technologies and the emerging technologies and so forth, at what point was your encounter with crypto or blockchain tech? And at that point it maybe could tell us how did you come across it and what was your like your next steps after you had like, let's say your Aha moment to say, hey, banks, this is something you need to look at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I had come across, you know, being sort of the innovation person in the banking space, got all of the questions of like, hey, what is this bitcoin thing? From really early on, I would say the Aha moment was probably right around you'd call it twenty fourteen twenty fifteen. We were working really closely with groups of community banks to look at how they engage with their core systems. So for those banks, they all rely on one ledger that is usually an on premise server. It is run by typically one of three companies. I think you know, something like eighty five percent of the four thousand, seven hundred banks in the US run on one of these three systems. These systems typically and traditionally were closed well ecosystems. And we had this moment where a banker was telling us that he had asked for API access to some of his customer data and the response he got from the vendor was, what are you going to do with it? We need to know so we know how much to charge you for your own data. And that was sort of the aha moment of the banking system being built in these proprietary ledgers that even the bank themselves can't access. How powerful having that distributed ledger technology could be in creating something that is modern, that is extensible across the whole ecosystem, and that can facilitate open innovation in a way. This sort of traditional banking core model really could.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and rob you know, initially, I think a lot of banks seem to not want to embrace this technology. There was a bit of knee jerk reaction, well, well we don't like this, and you know it's used for money laundering and so forth. But now we now in twenty twenty five and even you know, most of last year, a lot of these banks are integrating blockchain, building their own private permission chain connecting to public chains launching stable coins, custody, you name it, tokenization and much more. What's it like to see, you know, the banking sector embracing this technology, So it's really exciting.
Speaker 1: Right after ABA, I spent two years three years working with a group of mid sized regional community banks on tokenized departments, So a period of time where the banking regulators were not particularly inclined to lean into this technology. And so I think there has always been a group of banks that have been forward leaning, that have been thoughtful about the role that this technology can play in helping them build a better future for financial services. So no surprise that the industry has by and large come around. My focus throughout the years has always been how can we help banks embrace this new tech use it to build sort of a more open and better future together. I do think you always with any field, you see concern around what does this mean for my existing business? And the players that you see push back and try to push competition out often aren't the ones that survive in the long run. I will say in the banking space, there are a number of bank CEOs I've talked to throughout the years, even since that sort of twenty fourteen moment who have said, look, how do we use this to create the bank of the future, as opposed to how do we push it out? So my view is that lens has always been there, even if there was a point where this felt new and scary and we saw pushback from the industry. I think it's only natural that as we get regulatory clarity that will allow banks to move forward alongside some of the non banks in the space, you're going to see the banks lean in and really try to embrace their ability to use this technology to better serve their customer.
Speaker 2: Pardon the interruption. Hi, I'm Tony. I'm the host of the Thinking Crypto podcast. I wanted to ask you if you can please support the podcast by hitting the like button subscribing. If you haven't as yet, you can leave a comment below as well. And if you're listening on a podcast platform such as Spotify, Apple or wherever you get your podcasts, please be sure to follow and hit the five star rating. I'll let you get back to the content. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Rob.
Speaker 2: There's a trend that we're seeing that there's less brick and mortar locations for banks because the majority of people are going digital right, they can do a lot of their banking on their mobile phone or their desktop, and stable coins and come along. You know, how do you see banking This is a hard question fifteen twenty years from now. Is it a continued trend of less brick and mortar. Yes, there's still going to be some, but there's more decentralized finance. The banks are facilitating this, and there's more global lending and credit markets and things along those lines that's accessible to the everyday person.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's a good question, right, there are some things we probably know about the future of banking. If we look at the banking system in the US, we've seen a ton of consolidation over the years and we see that continuing. But really, you know, we have I think it's four thy seven hundred banks, maybe fewer now I haven't checked the statistic in the recent quarters. But one of the strengths of the US banking system is its diversity. You look at other countries and they have maybe three banks. And so it's really easy when we say, you know, banks in the US, to think of monoliths sort of the large banks that may be more of us engage with or that own a large chunk of the market. But the reality is, with the diversity of banks, you have community banks that are embedded into those communities. While some of those services will move digital, I view stable coin, blockchain and crypto generally as something that can empower them to better serve their communities. So those institutions add real value. Right if there is a farmer down the street that needs a loan, they may have the ability to know in this community this credit looks this way and to make a loan that no one else in the world could because they're there, they have that relationship and they're based in that community. That is incredibly powerful. I think it's a benefit that our system has as we digitize. I think there's an opportunity to leverage what makes those banks great, supercharge it by lowering their costs, given them more flexible infrastructure so that they can go deliver financial services faster, more efficiently to the communities that they serve. So in my mind, similar to I think we always think of Excel has always been part of banking, but there was a period in time where all the accountants were very nervous that Excel was going to put them out of business. The reality is that's just not true. Right. What we've seen through wave after wave of technology is that it's often an empower that lets us get back to the important relationship based pieces of the business. I think the distributed nature of blockchain creates some new opportunities for some of those services to move totally digital, and that's awesome. There's new markets there. There are also opportunities for sort of the high touched local model that I think will help banks be more competitive, not less as we move forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well said not to mention AI, where you can have both blockchain and AI help to enhance those services as you mentioned, and better serve the consumer and open up new options. So it's like a brave new world. But there's a huge opportunity here to kind of build on the legacy and make it better.
Speaker 1: Couldn't agree more.
Speaker 2: So, Rob tell us about Pioneer. What is Pioneer, What are the services you provide and how are you using blockchain and crypto and stable coins and things along those lines.
Speaker 1: So Payoneer is a global financial services company that helps connect SMBs to the global economy. So what we see is that increasingly SMBs operate globally, but that financial systems don't, and so we help bridge our SMB customers ambition to serve a global market to really a fully connected financial services experience that allows them to operate seamlessly across the world, where their money follows them the same way their business does. So Payoneer works with SMB customers, helps them reach new markets, collect payment in those markets, manage their funds globally, and pay out both their employees, their vendors, and all of their other costs in the markets where they operate. So in many ways, Payoneer is the original stable coin, right. We collect funds, we give the customers that pay in your account balance, and then plug it into the way that they do business across the world. We are sort of deeply and carefully watching the stable coin space as our customers begin adopting stable coin, as we see the transition of stable coin from those cryptonative use cases into real, real world use cases. We want Pioneer to be able to help our customers engage with this new form of payments the same way that we do every other currency every other market that are our customers engage in. So we're watching the market carefully, keep an eye in the space I think we'll have more coming in the coming weeks and months here.
Speaker 2: Got it. So it sounds like you're in the building phase of setting up the infrastructure to support these SMBs, and in addition to those businesses being able to accept stable coins and transacting them and so forth, I'm assuming you will also look at integrating them on the back end of your system to move money faster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we'll share any specific updates when we get them. What I would say more generally is if you think about the role that pay in your play is in the ecosystem today, we simplify what is a very complex world of cross border payments. So how I can collect money in country A, manage that globally pay it out in country B. There's often five or six different steps. There are often three or four bank accounts in different countries that are all connected. We abstract all of that complexity in the FIAT ecosystem today. Our view is that stable coin is a really powerful tool to speed up to add transparency to global commerce. But for many of these businesses it doesn't actually simplify right the need for on ramping stable coin into a wallet, for managing a wallet and keys for being able to send receive into that wallet, creating interoperability with other currencies, other markets, and then ultimately off ramping. There's a lot that needs to be done, and so our view is that Pioneer's role is to help our customers operate their business without having to think about where and how the money is moving. We think there's an opportunity for us to simplify that complexity in stable coin the same way we do in FIAT today.
Speaker 2: And we're seeing stable coins being adopted at a rapid pace. The market cap has grown significantly. I'm you know, waiting to see, if you know, over in the next couple of years we hit a one trillion dollar market cap, you know. For example, one major adoption news was YouTube integrating the PayPal p y usc stable coin. What are your thoughts on that? And you know, can we expect maybe other big retailers and platforms like your amazons and so forth to integrate stable coins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think the key for stable coin for us, that type of adoption is what gets me really excited. Right at the end of the day, you only create value in payments when you help people sell products, hire employees, or invest for the future. Right, when you're moving real world goods and services and products. If you can do that more efficiently, then you're creating real value, right, You're creating jobs, you're helping people sort of reach towards that vision of the future. That's where it becomes really exciting. And so as we see real world integrations where stable coin is not being used because it's cool and new, but where it's actually solving someone's business problem today, that's where we get excited and that's where we think we can help our customers. So I think there are sort of two main developments that are pushing that adoption and the use of real world of stable coin to solve real world financial services problems. The first is the passage of the Genius Act in the US, the additional regulatory clarity and the certainty around a framework for regulated money in the stable coin and blockchain space. That's a huge advancement as someone who spent a big chunk of the last few years trying to be able to adopt this technology for banks to solve their problems. Without that regulatory clarity, it becomes really hard and it becomes really hard to interoperate with the other systems that those businesses use every day. The second is sort of market clarity that follows that increased adoption and the ability to have your customers or your suppliers operating in the same medium, The ability to have that sort of embedded nature. I think YouTube is a really interesting one. The ability to embed those payments in a way that existing rails can't. Right, it's not just that this is faster or cheaper, but it's a totally new rail that can actually help operate at a code level, the way your business operates. And so, in my mind, these payments innovations stable cooin incredibly innovative, but it becomes most useful when it actually does something that other rails can not, just does it a little faster or a little cheaper.
Speaker 2: What are your take on there being maybe too much saturation in the stable coin market. It may be too early to answer this question, but it seems like enterprises collacture unstable coin, So can banks and other types of payment companies and financial institutions. Do you think there might be some consolidation over time? Yeah, so it's a really good question. I think it comes back to how you view the role of stable coins.
Speaker 1: Right. If we've view stable coin as a payment rail, we probably don't need five two hundred different payment rails, and so I suspect when we're using stable coin as a payment rail, we will see continued consolidation into a handful of chains and a handful of tokens that will facilitate most of the money movement. What we also see is that stable coins used as a store of value in a lot of cases, and in that case, as we look at money globally, we do see a lot of those options today. We already have digital dollars in the form of bank deposits. They might all be denominated in USD but a dollar at JP Morgan is not the same as a dollar at City and we have multiple form factors for that money today. I don't think stable coin changes that. So I think we will continue to see a proliferation of different stable coins that are use case specific, that are maybe held in different ecosystems. But I also think we'll see groups coalesce around major chains, major tokens for types of transaction.
Speaker 2: And with the growing adoption of stable coins, you know, mostly of the dominant stable coins that right now are the US dollar ones right and the US dollars the well reserve currency. But as the ecosystem grows and we head into this token economy, if you want to call it that, all running on blockchain rails. Do you see digital euros and you know whatever else country will besides to launch your own stable coins, And it's kind of working like the FX market. Everybody has their own digital version of their fiat currency and there's interoperability or an upgrade version of the FX market.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So what I will say is, I think the US in particular has been on the front foot here and the legislation that we've talked a little bit and will probably continue to do so about the Genius Act. I think the Genius Act created clarity that will enhance the dollar's role as the global reserve currency. By having this regulatory framework that the rest of the world will fallow, I think that will supercharge USD stable coin use as a global tool to make commerce easier. So I'm optimistic that I think USD stable coins will continue to play a really key role. Now the question becomes how do those then interact with the rest of the world where payments, prices, etc. Aren't done in USD. I think what we start to see is a world where there are multiple tokens in those jurisdictions. One of the big challenges we see today for businesses that operate globally is the ability to offer him. So if I am a business in Vietnam that is paid in stable coin, I might have USDC in my wallet, but my costs are Vietnamese dong in my local economy, and so a real challenge in the adoption and use of stable coin globally is, as a business that wants to get paid in this new form factor, how do I actually take it and operate my business the way I do today? So importantly like today, their best option is to go to an exchange in Vietnam, hope that there are enough buyers of USDC for Vietnamese dong to complete the transaction, and then wait for those funds to settle in a local bank. Then finally they can use that to pay their employees to go buy materials. I think what we see is a few options right. In some cases there will be better infrastructure for those businesses to accept USDC and convert them to Vietnamese dong, where I think we will start to see more proliferation of new denominations for currency is as off ramping tokens, So I think we'll see increased use of say Vietnamese dong token that exists in that ecosystem that helps facilitate the move from USDC into that local economy and facilitates that sort of off ramping into the various jurisdiction where those businesses open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that absolutely makes sense. And I'm assuming you folks at Pioneer, you know, thinking about your strategy and assisting with all those things.
Speaker 1: Right, So, as we look at Payoneer's business, I think a lot of the work that we do in the FIAT space today answers a lot of complexity that exists in the stable coin space. And what I will say is, I think there are a few strengths that we have that position us to help answer a lot of the complexities for global businesses that want to operate in stable coins. So the first is that last mile question. How do you deliver fiat last mile for a business paid in stable coin? Today? Payoneer helps global businesses that collect money abroad, manage it and pay out in one hundred and ninety markets around the world. So we have incredible call last mile reach to be able to deliver fiat. I think that's one really important piece. Two is the customer relationships that we've built, the partnership that we have with our SMB customers. We have huge reach into that market that is just starting to see adoption in the stable coin space. As we've seen in stable cooin broadly, distribution is in many cases what determines winners in this market. We have distribution into key corridors where there is product market fit stable coin. The third is compliance. We have built a global compliance infrastructure that allows us to onboard customers around the world in a way that is consistent with the expectations from US banking regulators, so that those companies can access the banking system and importantly, the nexus that exists in the US today, so as I think genius raises the bar for everyone, we have the ability to help bring those customers into this ecosystem in a way that is consistent with regulatory expectations. And I think the last and most important is the simplicity. As we see the adoption of stable coin. Our business today is simplifying payments around the world, making it for our customers so it just works whether payment is in JPY, Euro, usd We think that there's the ability to further simplify this. I doubt that in the future there are businesses that will purely exist in FIAT or really exist and stable coin. The question is going to be how can you simplify across both and allow businesses to engage seamlessly around the world. So we think Pioneers really well positioned to answer what I think are those sort of four key questions for adoption of stable coin for cross border commerce.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I read recently that Pioneer has partnered with City Bank to implement blockchain enabled treasury transfers through City Token Services. But can you tell us, Daron, how you've been working together. Yeah, so we're really excited about the partnership. We are leveraging City Token Services to help us move funds around the world to make those last mile deliveries more efficient. So the partnership lets us serve our customers more reliably. We use their blockchain enabled treasury transfers to get faster transaction, speed, automation, transparency. The blockchain sort of reduces the cash management FX risk, all of those pieces that we have to consider it and adds efficiency on the back end that we can then pass along to our customers. Are you able to disclose if you're working with different banks or cities like your primary partner in doing these so Panier works with the network of banks around the world. City is one of those banks that.
Speaker 1: We work with. But as you can imagine, you know, delivering funds into Japan, there's a bank will work within that market there to deliver those months. So we have you know, I think that's one of the benefits pay in your has is a robust global banking network that allows us to serve customers in those one hundred and ninety countries.
Speaker 2: Rob you brought up the Genius Act earlier, right, and the implications of that and how important it was to have those clear rules and the guard wills in place, and certainly it's the benefit of the US dollar and much more. However, the American Bankers Association and you know, the banking lobby and so forth have had some issues with some of the things that are included in at Genius Act, such as stable coin yield and rewards. You know, giving your background, the ABA will love to get your thoughts about what happened here and kind of the re litigation. You know what the banks not really paying attention to that, and do to have valid concerns possibly like a lot of funds leading to banks and going into stable coin platforms where people can earn yield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's a good question, right, And whenever there is new regulation that sets up sort of a new structure for money movement, everyone wants to weigh in, and there's always a you know, there's a dance that happens to make sure that we're both allowing new products to market fast enough and creating a regulatory structure that facilitates innovation, that facilitates new thinking, balanced against the need to maintain consumer and customer protection, that the way these things are rolled out or done responsibly, that there isn't sort of a gap in oversight that would otherwise exist. So there's always a debate around this. I've spent a good chunk of the last few years testifying before Congress and others trying to help think about how we create a responsible regulatory structure for this new form of money. There will be I think, hotspots throughout that debate, and it will be ongoing. But I think most importantly what we see is really continued progress and continued buy in on ensuring this new path exists for banks and non banks to leverage this technology in a safe, responsible and regulated environment. I think we've seen both the clarity that comes from that regulation create more enthusiasm in the market. We've also been really encouraged by the move's bank regulators have made to move quickly on implementing that. I think that path creates additional clarity. I will say what we saw during my time at USDF was a lack of clarity around how both banks and non banks could leverage stable coins right. The lack of regulatory structure meant that when you went to a banking regulator as a bank, you were told well, ask again in about six months or we're thinking about your response. And as a bank, when you're told effectively noet veto through through a non answer right, you don't feel like you can participate now. So I think in some ways there's a concern that from the banking industry, if we can't adopt this technology, others will and we'll be left behind. In my mind, the right answer is to enable everyone to adopt this new technology and compete. We certainly need to make sure the right guardrails are there to make sure this is well regulated, well protected. But let's create a regulatory structure that facilitates responsible innovation, allows those into market, and creates a level playing field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well said, And well, I guess we'll see how this all pins out with the crypto market structure and what compromise and things are reached. I know there was a delay in the markup last week, but you know, talks are still happening, the dialogues that we are going forward. But I guess we'll have to wait and see what the type of resolution they come to. Yeah, we're all waiting and watching here for sure. Rob. You know, you have a lot of experience and the payments sector and the history of payments and so forth, so I'm curious what your outlook is for the future of payments and how stable coins and crypto might be integrated into the sector. So let's say it's twenty thirty five, am I going to Starbucks paying for a coffee? Not necessarily I'm choosing to use a stable coin, but stable coins may be powering the movement of the money behind the scenes where my credit card or whatever app I'm using. Is it something like that?
Speaker 1: And beyond Yeah, It's a great example, and I think you already hit on what my answer will be is, as a customer, you probably don't even know. Right, we win in innovation and in payments when the customer doesn't even think about their money. Right, No one wakes up in the morning and gets out of that excited to go to their bank. Right. The bank exists so that the customer can go execute on their ambition. Right, if it is a small business, they wake up thinking about how can I sell my customer's product that adds value to their lives, not how do I manage financial services on the back end. And so in my mind, in ten years, stable coin has the opportunity to help simplify some of that complexity. There's a lot of work we all need to do to make that the case, but I think it's a few things. Right. Money disappears into the background. My business just continues to operate. Money is the operating system that a lot of that business has to work on. So you know, if I go to Starbucks, I probably don't pick stable Coin. I may not even think about it. I may have just told my AI assistant that I'm going to be at Starbucks in two minutes, and it may handle the transaction on the back end. And so I think the more that we can integrate payments into the flows that businesses and consumers use every day, the more that we can abstract that complexity, take that away and create a system that just works. That's where we went. That's where we create real value when businesses don't spend time on payments but spend time talking to their customers building better products. That's how we when I think, that's where the ecosystem really delivers on its promise in the next five, ten and fifteen years. And do you think with the instant settlement aspect and stable coins running in the rails of the payments networks and so forth, that people would get paid daily? Now, you know we'll have to upgrade legislation and infrastructure and so forth, But that because you have instant money, people can get paid on a daily basis. Why not even by the minute? Right? I think there's all sorts of models when you lower some of the facilitate smaller and smaller transactions, or you enable a lot of new different sort of payment methods, et cetera. So I won't get out, I won't get into the legal structure of how payments or how salaries are paid. Right, I have no special view on that, But what gets me excited are things like the ability for micro transactions to help better unlock value as it's being created. So you know, if I have a website, maybe I can get paid per visitor, per click, whatever, and it's not one payment at the end of the month, but the minute that I generate some value that someone used my content, that someone consumes one of my services, even if it's just one minute of browsing a page, you can create a fraction of ascent of a transaction that goes along with that in real time and gives someone access to the payments that to their earnings in real time. Maybe it's an Uber driver who gets paid by the minute and sort of sees those those funds add up in real time in their account. Right. I think there's a lot we can do. Most importantly, I think a big piece of the future of global commerce R the SMB of the future is probably AI based, or at least has a heavy AI component, And so having a system like stable coin that at a code level can work with these new technologies, with the new bit with the businesses of the future, help facilitate moving value along the same way that we're seeing an evolution in the way that those buses misses operate. And I think stable coin has the opportunity to make sure that payments keep pace well.
Speaker 2: Rob as a content creator publishing content, I would love to have the micro transactions and updated web monestization where it's like you're to your point, get that instant payment or you know, same day, I don't have to wait weeks or months to get a payout. Absolutely, let's talk about tokenization. The tokenization market is heating up. We are seeing a lot of assets going on chain, from goal to stocks and other equities, money market funds and things along those lines. I would love to get your take on that market. And is payoneer looking to integrate tokenize assets in any.
Speaker 1: Way, Yeah, so happy to give just a general view of the market at say, you know, from payoneer's perspective, it's still very early and we're watching the space carefully. For me, if we go back to the core value that tokenization brands, right, it's the idea that we have a shared ledger for a shared in public ledger that simplifies the various complex systems that exist today, and so we spent a lot of time on this in my days at USDF working on tokenized deposits. I think blockchain is too often used as the silver bullet that solves all of the world's problems. But where it really I think does add unique value is when you have multiple parties collaborating in real time. I think of it as that that shared Google doc instead of the Excel spreadsheet that sits on your computer and then you send someone else and you all have to work separate, right. The beauty of blockchain is that we're all working together in real time. And so as we think about tokenization of non payments activities we think about tokenized assets areas where you need that kind of collaboration in real time is where I think tokenization adds the most value. So if it is just you know, buying and selling product X that could connect to any other payment system today, sure you might have some incremental value there. Where I get excited are when we see new assets that require that type of real time collaboration. So one example I'll give that we looked at USDF were loan participations. So you might have an example where a community bank wants to make a loan to one of the companies that they work with, but can't right the loan is too big for this community bank, and so they want to bring other banks in to make that loan. In the past, that would mean the first bank would have to keep its own Excel spreadsheet, collect a payment from a borrow, or send it to those other banks. By tokenizing that loan, you now have the ability to route payments to the various holders of that loan. That's where I think you can unlock real opportunity. You can create lower funding costs for those loans, help create better access to credit just by making it easier for those banks to collaborate in real time on the same system of record and to have the payments followed. So I think there's a ton of opportunity. I'd say I'm most excited about areas where you need that kind of real time collaboration. That's where it adds the most value in my mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, I know there's a lot of excitement about token is A, but not everything needs to be tokenized, And to your point, it needs to be markets, it needs to be demand liquidity, and it has to make sense you have, you know, the network effects of different participants. I know, as a public company, it's not much you can share them till it's you know, the information's out there. But what can you highlight as far as your roldmap as it relates to blockchain, stable coins, crypto and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So look, I think we've talked about as much as we probably can there, which is we think that you know, as we look at the future payments, our business is simplifying the complexity of cross border trade. As our customers increasingly use this technology, we want to simplify that as well. We think we're well positioned to help be that operating system for businesses today and tomorrow to make sure money just works for that, whether it's in fiat payments or stable Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Rob. I got some wrap up questions here for you. First, if you could create your own metaverse, what would the theme be? Well, that's a good question.
Speaker 1: If I could create my own metaverse, I'm clearly too focused on SMB payments, but I think and create a metaverse that helps global businesses connect, share ideas, and help better serve their customers.
Speaker 2: And rapid fire questions favorite.
Speaker 1: Food, Favorite food? Got to be pizza, favorite musician or band, very into Fred again these days? Favorite movie, favorite movie, ask an extreme, favorite book, Red Rising? And when you're not working, what are you doing for fun? Yeah? Avid cyclists. So it's not the weather today, a little too chilly out there, but once it warms up, I'll be out biking as much as I can.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, Rob, Thank you so much. Appreciate your perspectives and insights on payments, and I would love to have you back on Maybe round two we can do in person in New York.
Speaker 1: Would love that, Tony, thanks so much for having me, great conversation, Really looking forward to the next one.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for tuning in. Please hit the like button subscribe if you haven't as yet. If you're listening on a podcast platform such as Spotify or Apple, please follow and leave a five star rating. Thank you so much.