Speaker 1: You're listening to Why we do what we do. Welcome to Why we do what we do. I am your Audobon host Abraham.
Speaker 2: And I'm your Lives in a Bird Sanctuary host Shane Nice.
Speaker 1: We are a psychology podcast. We talk about the things non human animals do and sometimes the things that humans do with respect to non human animals. That's what we're talking about today. And if you're joining us for the first time, then welcome. I hope that you enjoy what you hear in this discussion. And if you're a returning person and welcome back, thank you so much for choosing to be with us for a second, third, or even more than that time. And either way, if you would like to support us, you can leave us a rating and a review like subscribe, tell a friend, join us on Patreon on I'll talk more about those things at the end of this discussion. But this episode comes out on July twenty seconds, and therefore it is important to acknowledge notice and wish everybody a happy casual Pie Day. PI.
Speaker 2: Yes, Pi, it's also fragile X Awareness Day.
Speaker 1: Hmm. You know, I don't think we've ever actually done an episode or a mini on fragile x. I'm gonn write that down really quick because it's an interesting it's an interesting one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've worked with a couple of folks that have fragile x. It's really interesting.
Speaker 1: It is Lions Share Day. That could mean that the lions share with each other. It could mean a large proportion, it could mean the share that goes to a specific lion. There's all kinds of things interpreted as you maybe a share lions, interpreted as you will. It's Lions share Day.
Speaker 2: It could be it could be lions stockholding.
Speaker 1: Beautiful.
Speaker 2: If birds participate in the stock market, would it be called a flock market?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's yeah, in the animal world, when there is a stock market, that's what we're dealing with. Let's get back on track. Come on, tighten up, Abraham.
Speaker 1: It's mango Day, Delicious, It's National hammock Day where you can store those mangos, I guess, uh huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or where you desperately want to be right now. So it's a national Panucci or Panuche fudge day.
Speaker 1: I read that as panouche.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, it just I feel like it. It feels French like French like, not frenchy, but French Frenchish like fancy is what I'm going to say, French and fancy Frenchy. That's frenchy.
Speaker 1: Apparently, it is rat Catcher's Day, the character from DC. Yes, or rat Catcher too, if you will. It's Spooner's Day or Spoonerism's Day. Oh so close to my heart. I do it. Just a frequency that is potentially pathological.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Same.
Speaker 1: It is Summer Leisure Day or Lummer Seizure Day, Yes it is.
Speaker 2: It is Captive Nations Week or Naptivcations Week.
Speaker 1: Sure. It is Coral Reef Awareness Week. Oh love coral reefs. They're the best.
Speaker 2: They're the best. They're so great. It's Hemingway lookalike days. No, you win, Shane, I am the old man and there's the sea.
Speaker 1: It is Massage is for every Body week or everybody massage massages for everybody week. That's how I'm reading that.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I like that. It is National Moth Week.
Speaker 1: Okay. It is National Triathlon Week. Good luck, it's great. I would I would do it if I were younger and had time.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. It's National zoo Keeper Week.
Speaker 1: No fun Okay, well, maybe not fun. There's a lot a lot to say about zoos that we've never gotten into. But all right, that's that's the days of the week that we talk about. That's just an amuse boosh, an appetizer, a thing to set the mood for the silliness, whimsy and kind of approach we bring to these things. There's a level of nerd embodied in that list that we love to share. And that's that's going to be a running theme throughout all of this discussion and all subsequent discussions. And I'll pass discussions if we're being truly honest. So let's let's dive into this. Are you ready or is there anything that I'm missing and you like to add before we begin?
Speaker 2: I am so ready?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, nerds, And I say that with all the love in my heart. I have some friends who are fairly avid birders, and listening to them talk passionately about the birds that they've seen and the unique songs that they've heard, it's infectious and it's inspiring. Like I love hearing them talk about this. They're so passionate about it, and they regale me with stories about beautiful hikes and lakes and rare sightings of birds that make me want to walk out the door and see what need has to offer.
Speaker 2: And further, one of Abraham's favorite board games, Wingspan, has hundreds of unique, nearly photo realistic campaigning cards of real birds, with random facts about those birds on each card.
Speaker 1: I have talked about this game before. I will talk about it some more. It is so fun and so good and it makes me love birds even more. It's so cool. So all that is to say, we're going to talk about birds specifically. We're going to talk about birding, what it is, how and why people do it, and how you can get started or just know about this very popular hobby.
Speaker 2: Yes, as a Floridian, I love birds because we have so many unique ones here, between the herons and the ibis and like the pelicans and the weird the sandhill cranes that walk around. Man, it's so cool. It's so great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so true. Yeah, I was definitely quite enamored with some of the cranes and the ibis and everything when I was living down in your neck of the woods. Just really amazing creatures so.
Speaker 2: Huge, they're scary, are so tall, and you're like, these are dinosaurs.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which, do you know if Florida has the shoebill stork.
Speaker 2: I don't know. We have a lot of storks, Okay, I don't know if we have the shoebill one, but that one is frightening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that looks like a dinosaur. I have not looked up whether or not they live in Florida. People are probably yelling at their speakers right now saying either yes or no, or calling us names. But shoebill stork very interesting, very crazy, cool looking bird I would not want to be very close to in real life, but I do like watching videos of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So apparently the only place you see a shoebill stork in Florida is at the Tampa Zoo.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so not not a wild thing out in the world, not a wild thing here now, all right, Well, this is not a fan episode about the shoebill stork or the cranes and ibis of Florida. But we're about just talking about burning more broadly, all the birds and there is. When we get into these a lot of times, it's important that we start by defining our terms, and unfortunately there's not a super clear definition of birding because different people propose different ways of thinking about this. Definitions range from as little as noticing a bird and that qualifying you as doing birding, to recording your sightings or labeling the bird, being able to say what it is that is. It's kind of a low bar to clear, because it's like, if you're paying attention and recording it, then that could count, and if you're just paying attention, that could maybe count to And those are not super different things, right, And then obviously some people go a lot more hardcore than that. We'll talk about that. For the most part, though, when you're thinking about birding, it's really just any activity in which you choose to actively notice birds in your environments that can essentially qualify you as doing birding. I think probably you're doing it semi habitually, like you're choosing this on some kind of regular schedule. But importantly, birding means observing and I say that because it does not mean interacting with or disturbing the bird. Birders are not going out trying to take nests or touch them. They just want to see them. The object of this activity is to see a wide diversity of creatures and nature. You're not chasing them, capturing them, harassing them, or interacting with them. You just want to see them and record the fact that you saw them, maybe also heard them. But like you're generally, the point is to leave them alone, but be able to have the memory and recording and experience of having been able to witness this cool, majestic creature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's funny. I never thought of myself as a burder until not too long ago when I was trying to figure out what birds were flying around at dusk and were flying really strange, and I realized there were bats, and I went, oh, I need to do a better job of this. That's a terrible birder. I was like, what bird is that? Nope, that's not a bird. It's a mean minute. But now we have Patricia that's hanging out around our cool So most people are unlikely to call themselves burders, however, until they start learning the names of their birds and recording their observations in some capacity, maybe in like a field note general or whatever they're doing, you know, and that is they start choosing to be on the lookout for birds as an activity unto itself. So it's like a more intentional activity.
Speaker 1: And again it's not like the definition. It's just like, at what point, Like, I like birds. I even bought a pair of binoculars, But I don't call myself a burder because I don't really do it very often. I'm not like actively trying to seek it out. I feel like that's the point at which people sort of start to But I mean, you don't have to, like you, you could do as little as I am doing and call yourself a burder. I just didn't feel like that level made sense to me personally. But again, the definition is kind of loosey, goosey. Here, goosey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of birds, it's gonna be just a big comedy here, Like it's gonna be so full of puns.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, Okay, so many of you might be hearing this and thinking like that's something old people do, and you're not wrong. The is particularly common among older adults, with an average of forty nine years old. For the people who are out there doing burning, No, of course means there are people way below that and people way over that, but that's where the average sort of puts it. However, research shows that this is a growing hobby in popularity and that includes a like growing number of much younger people, Like there are kind of kids, they're in their like barely adulthood who are out doing this, and sometimes even younger than that that like they choose to go out and do burning at things activities and would call themselves burders. So this is a there's a lot of increased interest in this and the age the ages really range like a whole lifetime basically, but the average age currently at least was listed by I think this is the Autobahn Society was forty nine years old.
Speaker 2: All right, makes sense now. The National Association of Hunting, Fishing, and Wildlife Associated Recreation assembled a report in twenty twenty two that estimated that there are as many as ninety six million Americans, so about thirty percent of the population that they are burners. And there seems to be an increase in the population of the younger people who are burners, which is I think lovely. I think more young folks need to be connected with nature very.
Speaker 1: Much, So yeah, I think that's a that's a cool trend. And furthermore, technology has made it easier to record birds. These apps that we can carry around on phones like go in our pocket that can record their sounds and then tell you what song that probably like, what bird that sound probably belongs to. So the barrier to entry for this activity, what little there was to begin with, is further reduced by making it increasingly easy and acceptable. And have the tools to help you get into the hobby. Like it's so easy to do now you have to You can exert barely any effort to go out and just start looking for birds and recording what you find. And you might look around and just start noticing all the ads on billboards or in your podcasts. Okay, we're back. You can notice ads if you want to. Let's actually get into like how to go about doing birding. So like, here's here's the things to know, the things to do if you want to go out and bird. This is your field knowledge guide if you will, or field guide of knowledge. I don't know. Here's here's information.
Speaker 2: Here's how you start. You can decide to put as much or as little time into birding as you'd like. Most people recommend three things. A pair of binoculars, a guide book, and a positive attitude. I don't know where you can buy a positive attitude, but if you do, find a place to buy that. Please let me know if you're going to stock up if we can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I need to buy some myself, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to resell it on Etsy, but I'm going to like, you know, make it a little bit more artsy and hit be Like. So, this is a pretty inexpensive hobby and like most things, you can spend a lot of money if you want to, but you really don't have to. A twenty dollar book and at twenty dollars pair of binoculars and you already start burning for less than fifty bucks if you even want to spend that much. You can actually just look at what's around and write down or just spend time noticing it, or use an app to record the bird, which is really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like, there really is, Like you can do this for free, one hundred percent. You can do this for free. You can do it with zero equipment if you want to. Most people like to have a pair of binoculars in like some kind of guidebook, but you don't have to do it whatever you want. Yeah, some people will spend hundreds of dollars to get very particularly powerful binoculars, or even some people will like set up a single lens telescope, or they'll buy really powerful cameras so they can take pictures of what they see. But it's just kind of whatever is in your comfort range and no obligations here. You do not have to have a thousand dollars telescope to call yourself a burder. If you just want to walk outside and notice a burd and be like, huh, that's a cool bird, then like you're doing the thing. Congratulations, Yeah, it's kind of nice.
Speaker 2: Now. Most recommend a ten by fifty or ten ten times fifty, ten by five fifty, Yeah, ten by fifty pair of binocular which is ten times magnification with a fifty millimeter objective lens and burning books range in price and complexity, from simple informational picture books to encyclopedic descriptions and enumerations of different kinds of bird species that exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's like depending on how intensely you want to get into it. The beginner books are fairly simple. They're like, here's a picture of this bird, here's where you might find it, here's some variations in colors. Maybe here's a couple facts. That's it. Some of them are like, here's the Latin name and its habits, and it's like where's its place of origin and where its name comes from, and like sure, I mean you just kind of get into it as much as you want to. Really, Yeah, Like, there are lots of places that will list the kind of books you might try and find and then also rank them in terms of like their level of experience you're looking for by getting that book. So there's lots of resources out there if you want to get started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most definitely.
Speaker 1: Now, a cool thing about this hobby is you don't necessarily have to do very much to get into it. Ninety five percent of ninety five percent, which if my math is right, is almost all of them.
Speaker 2: It's just so many.
Speaker 1: That's so many. They spend the majority of their birding time simply in their backyards or like on their property somewhere. You can just set up on a porch, you can go walk around, you can just observe what you see and like at what times of year. Like notice that their birds migrate a lot of them, so you might see different birds in different times of the year. So just like go out, you don't need to travel very far if you don't want to. Of course, you can travel to places known to have certain birds that you might be interested in trying to observe, And many people who get into the hobby report doing just that. They're like, Oh, I drove three hours out of my way to go to this forest because I heard that there's this nesting eagle there or something. And if you want to do that, like, that's the thing you can do. But you can also, like I said, most people just are like at their house, maybe around their neighborhood, just walking around seeing what they see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you also need a sense of curiosity about the world around you, a willingness to observe and notice various aspects of nature, and patience. You're going to notice different sounds that you hear, the colors that are around you, the feeling of the breeze or the sun on your skin. You're going to notice the insects and the flowers and the little fruits that might be growing around you. Record what you see when you see it, and nature's not there to entertain you, so appreciate what you get to see when you get to see it, Like, not too long ago, we have these flowers there growing in our backyard. For the first time in my life. I saw a hummingbird in real life.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a big bug at first because I'm in Florida, so I was like, what is that? And then I looked at it. I was like, oh my god, it's a little, pretty little hummingbird. It's so cool. So and you just kind of like the best. It's just it's an at a glance thing that you're like, if you have the right flowers and you have the right things in place, you might see some things that you might not expect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, very much. So that's cool. I love hummingbirds. They're so pretty.
Speaker 2: They're so pretty.
Speaker 1: I've seen a lot of them in various places. They they're really cool. That's really cool. Yeah, absolutely, you can do that. And yeah, just the point being that, like if you're going to go out and nature, like, you might see some cool birds. You might not see anything, but you kind of just like notice what's there. And actually, one of the things that people will report is that the part of what has them be more mindful of their surroundings is they're starting to look out for like, what are the kinds of things that are tracting birds? Here? Are they here building nests? Are they here gathering food? Are they here doing mating rituals? Like there's there's all kinds of things going on, and the environment itself is often going to be a variable in what kind of birds show up, and so you might start to notice, like, oh, look, I noticed when I see these berries, these types of birds tend to show up. So if I'm in another place that has those, I might expect to see those types of birds. And so it's a part of it. But it's also just like just being there. Just be there, Just be there in that space, and probably you'll get to see some cool stuff and probably you'll just get to notice stuff you weren't otherwise normally paid attention to.
Speaker 2: Right exactly now, Depending on how.
Speaker 1: Much time you spend and where you are, you might want to plan for various environmental conditions. If you're going to be outside doing this, you want to be able to plan for weather, insects, and foliage Accordingly, generally the recommendation is to plan to wear clothes that cover most of your skin, which will protect you from bugs and from the sun, were sunglasses and a wide brimmed hat. And if you're gonna if it's gonna be dark, you might want a flashlight or something, just to make sure you can see where you're going. Wear sunscreen on parts of your body that aren't covered by clothes, or other things planned for if it might rain, if it's gonna be hot, if it's gonna be windy or muddy, et cetera. Just just accordingly, make sure you bring like a snack in some water or something so that you can be safe out and about.
Speaker 2: Yes, some people specifically recommend winter time specifically for their birding activities, as there are often fewer leaves on the trees and bushes that would otherwise obscure more well camouflaged bird colors and make it easier to spot some birds. That's especially true in Florida, Like there is a lot of foliage, but like in the winter, a lot of the trees drop their leaves and you could see a lot of really cool things.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so it's like normally they're sort of hidden by all of the trees, but with their being less on the branches, it's actually easier to spot some of the ones you might not otherwise see. Now, of course, many many birds are again we've mentioned this several times, but they'll migrate, so they may not be there in the winter, but you might see new ones in the winter that you wouldn't otherwise see. So just a thing to consider, and then obviously in that situation, just warmly yes, of course, all right, if you are really interested in observing what is available, plan to observe during the times that birds are the most active. Generally speaking, this is not a universal truth, but generally speaking, dusk and dawn are really good times. There are nocturnal birds and diurnal birds. In dusk and dawn, the birds are waking up if it's you know, in the morning, or they're just returning to rest, and the nighttime birds are kind of doing the same. So you get to see the majority of the birds that are active in your area because if at dusk, for example, you know your nighttime birds are starting to come out and be more active, your owls and whatnot, and in the morning those birds are starting to go back to their rest, and the birds that are getting up for the day starting to get up. And I also saw something about how like the cool air tends to facilitate carrying their songs. Further, there's a lot of insects that they're out catching that are like a little sluggish because it's maybe a little cool. There's a lot of stuff going on, but dusk and dawn seem to be good times to try and observe, depending on what you're trying to observe and what's around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, it is appropriate to put out birds eat or other feeds to attract birds and even certain types of birds. Enticing birds to come near can be a very effective way to get to observe a wide variety of birds or very specific birds. Like I mentioned before, like that flower that we had was only accessible to a bird that would be able to like, you know, put its tiny little beak in there and get some nectar, right, like a pollen eater, and so like that makes sense to have that there, and that's only going to attract that it's not going to attract hawks or crows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And you know, we mentioned like the point of birding is not to interact with the birds, and that is true, yes, but it is not considered inappropriate to like set up a feeder where you are specifically sort of trying to entice birds to come near so that you can see them when they come near. Right, So that that could be a thing obviously, be nice to the birds, don't poison them, don't put something that's gonna like hurt them. Like if you want to see birds, like, be nice to the birds. Don't be a jerk.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And by the way, if you do attract crows, they are very smart and they will probably remember you, and if you give them something that makes them sick, they might start attacking you and putting in the car. That's for real, that's very real, and they tell each other about it and then their friends come and attack you. So like, don't mess with crows. Be nice to them. They're cool.
Speaker 2: Crows are really really cool. There's a couple of crows like they are like right near my house. I'm like, I want to train them and attack my enemies. I do.
Speaker 1: I Actually I was thinking about it, and I think that crows are my favorite bird. I think they're I really just appreciate how crafty and ingenius they are. And I know people don't like their their cow, but actually I like it a lot. I think it's really cool.
Speaker 2: That's funny. I was thinking about that. I was going to ask you what your favorite bird was, because I think mine is an osprey. Because we have a lot of those around here. Yeah, and they're really beautiful. They're like a blue gray white bird of prey. They always hang out by water. They there's a big nest near my house on top of the Walmart sign. Cool and you can see the parents, like the two parents that are hanging out and taking care of the babies in it.
Speaker 1: It's so cool. Oh that's amazing. Yeah, that's a good answer. There's a wrong answer. You see, see two are learning today. There's not really a wrong answer here, you know. Whatever is sort of strike. I like crows because they're very smart, and I like the I just like everything about it. I think they're really cool. I think they look cool anyway, great Oden's raven. There are many apps that provide pictures of birds as well as bird song recognition. A lot of times people refer to bird calls as a bird song, or they'll be able to play recorded bird sounds. There's like a huge library of recorded bird sounds, and then you can compare what you hear from those recordings to what you're hearing out in the wild. And many, if not most, of these apps are free, and I'm sure there's like paid subscriptions that you like get the premium whatever is, But like you can generally get access to these and be able to use them to help you on your birding journey very easily. You know, It's it's either free or you just have to sit through a bunch of ads. All right, we're back. We've been just talking about like the various things to consider and take on if you're going to get into the burning hobby. But it's always worth asking, like, what are the downsides to this? Should I maybe not do burning? And there's not very many, but we'll list them for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, like any hobby, it can be easy to get sucked into that into a hobby, and it starts consuming more and more of your time and resources that you were originally prepared to dedicate to such an activity. But I think there is something really valuable about this, like spending more time outside. While it has many benefits, can also come with some risks. There are increased chances for dangerous encounters with other wildlife such as snake, spiders, disease carrying insects, even bears and wildcats, or even mundane threats such as falling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're like out hiking, you could potentially fall and break a leg and then be far away from people and not have a way to necessarily get help. So there's you know, there are some risks that come with that, so just yeah, be careful. And as we said, like you know, there's a lot of other wildlife out there that are not just birds and they are not so concerned about staying away from you. So things to consider. Yeah, another consideration, depending on where your values are at here, is that if there were enough people who did this activity regularly, Let's just imagine everyone on Earth got into this all at the same time, it could result in like excessive tourism and flocking. No pun intended, but I appreciate that it came to me that quickly flocking to areas where they're looking for birds that ultimately result in like a greater disturbance of that habitat and the birds that would otherwise frequent that habitat, and now it's crowded by too many people. So you can imagine that, like, it's great that people want to do this, it's cool that people are going out into nature, and if there was this huge surge in people doing this all at once, actually be really disruptive. So that could potentially be another like sort of risk here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and some people are willing to sacrifice sleep and adequate nutrition to go out and watch for birds, which is why a Ram brought up bringing snacks out and stuff like that with you as part of this. This could result in adverse health outcomes and relatedly sort of, the cost can be extremely high if choosing to purchase high end equipment. So you might get into a hobby and you might really get into it, and then you end up spending more money than it's necessary because you're kind of like pulled so deeply in this habit. I can, as somebody who is a musician, I can speak to that very well. Music equipment gets real expensive, real quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. As one of the chief complaints about my board gaming hobby is how much I have spent on board games, not just the games, but then like the accessories for the games, and buying sleeves for the cards, and buying the upgraded components and buying the neoprene mats and then buying all the expansions, and.
Speaker 2: It just hobbies are expensive.
Speaker 1: Hobbies are expensive. Yeah, it's a thing. They can be, they can't yeah, fair, Okay, So why do people bird. Well, they're a wide range of purported benefits for birding, and most of these are actually kind of psychologically oriented. So let's get in get into the reasons that people like to bird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so people report that the sense of being in nature tends to improve mood, foster relaxation, and impart a sense of mindfulness and a respect for nature. I mean, this is just stever. When that's stever when lifestyle for sure, Like it's like just being in it and connected like that man was the most jovial person I've ever seen in my life. Now research backs us up as well, So, like, I think it's important to know that. So twenty twenty one meta analysis found that people who participated in quote nature based interventions recorded improvements in depressive moods, anxiety, improving positive affect, and decreasing quote negative affect. And people are generally drawn to green, natural spaces and tend to feel better when spending time outdoors. This is actually something I learned in my PhD program that there is there was a branch, or is a branch of psychology called environmental psychology that focuses on this. Like they use is a lot of this as part of the treatment modality or the treatment space, not like that, like they'll do therapy in nature or like connect with natures like a part of a foundational piece of that theoretical orientation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a whole Like it's called the biophilia hypothesis. I've wanted to unpack it specifically as an episode at some point on this show, and maybe we still will, but because I feel like it goes too far. But the premise of it actually makes a lot of sense. It's that humans are essentially like we are drawn to natural spaces. We're drawn to we like looking at mountains and vistas, we like looking at pictures of trees and flowers, we like beaches, we like places outside, and we like places with a lot of green. And it makes a lot of sense. We are animals, we evolved in those spaces, so we actually tend to find just general psychological happiness and like improvement when we find ourselves in those spaces. And the research is there, like it's it shows that this is generally the case. Yeah, not ignoring the fact that we are in fact animals and that we evolved in nature, and that nature is still a very important part of who we are like if we try to divorce ourselves from it completely, I think we would struggle with that in a lot of ways and ultimately try to end up recreating version. Like people buy fake plants and put them in their houses because they want to have green around like it looks nice, right, Like it's a thing they're attracted to. So anyway, so that's just the thing. There's also the fact another reason that people why people do this, a benefit that they get out of this, I think you could put it in that category is that when people do go out and do birding, they tend to exert some exercise. They'll frequently hike to a place to look for birds. They're usually going out into some fresh air, and they tend to relax while they're sitting there, noticing the surroundings, and therefore they will experience a more profound mindfulness, which can have some moodless lifting effects as well as the fact that they're relaxed. People will do this often with a partner or a group, and that comes with some positive social interactions and all of these variable things that are likely part of what has resulted in improved mood when people go out and do birding is that they're getting exercise, they're with people, they're a nice relaxed, calm space with like kind of leaving your stress and work worries behind and you're just kind of doing something just to do something that is fun, and you also get to like see some really pretty nature.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, But the birds themselves are also an important ingredient here. So in the twenty eighteen study surveyed UK citizens' reactions to fifty different bird sounds and found that many bird sounds with certain characteristics were highly rated at having a restorative effect, meaning people found that simply hearing some bird songs created a feeling of restoration and peacefulness. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think actually when we tend to try to simulate an outdoor environment and we're creating like a peaceful like forest sort of sound, there is going to be bird call happening at some part in that. There's you know a little chirps and whistles and stuff that is part of that ambiance and that I think people found find generally relaxing most definitely. I think further in understanding why people out here doing this is there is a somewhat game like experience here to have the opportunity to observe a bird you've never seen before, for example, as you're sort of out there looking around for something new. It's sort of like Pokemon Go in the real world, Like you can go out into the world and you might be lucky enough to stumble upon some rare bird you've never seen before, and then you get to add that to your list. So there's like kind of this fun, challenging element of it. And we will talk about like in a specific challenge that people do take on that's an actual competition, but for the most part, like you're just sort of like, oh, this is so exciting. I haven't seen this one. I get to write that down, or even if you have seen it, like oh cool, it's another one of those like I love getting to see that type of bird. I'm happy this. Like whoever gets tired of looking at hummingbirds? Conservatives probably, but like normal people like or just the every time they see them, you get to be excited because there's such amazing birds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Now many people report that it is almost addicting to spend time out in nature and have an opportunity to observe the various birds around them and add to their notes about observations they make. Commonly, they report that the more you do it, the more you want to do it.
Speaker 1: I understand this, I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can relate, by the way.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've mentioned, but there's like a lot of quail here. Have you seen quail?
Speaker 2: I'm sure that I have, But it's one of those things I just don't know a bit about. I think I probably assume that they're doves.
Speaker 1: Well, so quail have the like the weird little feather off the front of their head that sort of hangs in front of them like an angler fish like quailman, Yes, exactly like Quailmanda is correct. That's the whole reason for the belt. And they can fly, but they prefer to run, and so most of them stay on the ground. And so when you see quail, they'll often be in a little group, because it's usually a family. You have a parent and then a little baby's and they'll go running across the road and there's like a little trail of them, a little trail of quail, and it's so so cute. They're such cute birds. But anyway, I love that just noting things are around me. Others report that as a burder, you are likely to gain a greater appreciation for nature and the spaces in which you tend to observe birds, and therefore be more supportive of kinds of causes that would be preservation of wildlife areas. You might donate to them more, you might elect officials who promise to protect them. You might go to events and activities dedicated to the preservation of those spaces. So a lot of people have said that, like they get into the hobby and all of a sudden they're like kind of activists for like preserving these wildlife spaces. This is kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a lovely outcome, Like what a great side effect to that. And also if you're wondering, Yeah, but why birds? I mean, I know people who are afraid of birds, so like, but I want to talk about this for a second, Like consider the alternatives here. What other animals are out there that are easy to spot, that have a great variety of color, shape, sizes, and sounds. Are different species of squirrels so different that you could easily spot dozens of different species and recognize their uniqueness and a given environment. Ground animals are generally harder to spot and usually less brightly colored and pretty universally unlike the remarkable diversity available in the different bird species. Also, their size is very conducive to tracking. Insects arguably have a similar level of diversity and availability, if not more, but they are often more difficult to spot to their size and the fact that many have specifically evolved highly camouflaged appearances, and they rarely announce themselves at least nowhere nearly assaliently as birds, and some of them bite you. Yeah, but birds are an ideal candidate for tracking and recording. And I was thinking about this with fish too. It's like, yeah, sea life is great, and like aquatic marine life is amazing, but we don't breathe underwater, so you have to have a specific apparatus to be able to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Yeah. So it's like I was thinking, as like what else, I'm like, why birds? Why didn't people get into like observing mice or something, Yeah, and whatever it might be. And I'm like, well, I mean, first of all, like, yeah, ground animals tend to hide. They tend to be the same color as the ground, so that they blend in there, might be too small, they maybe too big, like you're not going out generally and trying to spot as many different bears as you can, and then even the ones where there is like a lot of them, there's not usually the kind of variety like birds. The variety and sizes, shapes and colors of birds is staggering, like how different they can look from one another. They really offer like the ideal candidate of like, if you're gonna go out and try to observe wildlife and you want to see like a wide diversity of a type of wildlife, like you can hardly do better than birds, right, They're just kind of perfect for this. So it does kind of make sense, like why do people get into birds and not something else. I'm like, there's nothing better than birds for this particular thing that people are trying to do right right exactly they consideration, and there's nothing worse than ads.
Speaker 2: On the spectrum of good to bad. Birds being best, ads being worst.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, all right, we're back. We've been describing like why birds make such good candidates for a thing to go out in nature and track and observe if you're going to do that sort of thing, And we're broadly in the category right now of why people do this, what are the benefits for this? And another thing here is that there are social organizations dedicated to this hobby, because there are millions and millions, tens of millions in fact, of people who do this in the United States alone, let alone in other countries who also have organizations who do this. But there are special organizations dedicated to this, and they provide information and support for people who are looking to enter the hobby. So there is a built in social structure that might create an opportunity important opportunities to socialize with other people. This can be great for older people who like just kind of want to have a group of people they can make friends with, they can talk about birds with, they maybe go out together, or they meet up at things, and they otherwise are kind of board sitting at home watching TV like this gives something to do. Can also be true for younger people who just maybe have a hard time socializing that they have a shared interest in those group, so they can make some friends that way. And it's just like interacting with other humans, meeting people from different walks of life and seeing their perspective on stuff, like there's just it's a cool opportunity and socialization such an important part of who we are as a species. So that's just another benefit that people get out of participating in the birding hobby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most definitely. In these and other aforementioned reasons are hypothesized as the explanation for why this hobby tends to attract older adults. They have more time, more disposable income, and tend to appreciate things like slowing down and taking in nature more. Although as we said, many younger people are realizing the same benefits and starting to kind of really come into the fold a little bit.
Speaker 1: And finally, I think it's worth pointing out, you know, we are in America, the most pro capitalist place on earth. The finances here birding is a fairly significant economic boon. So for those to naysayers who maybe also find themselves on the very pro economic side of things, there's a lot to be gained here. Although you can find birds anywhere, the more dedicated hobbyists will travel to see specific birds, and sometimes they'll travel a lot. Travel and lodging accounted for fourteen billion dollars cumulatively spent by birders alone in twenty twenty two. Like that, many people traveling that much. Collectively spent fourteen billion dollars. They also spent ninety three billion dollars on their equipment for birding, to a grand total of one hundred and seven billion dollars. And as a part of that, they're buying these tickets, these these they're buying hotel rooms, they're buying equipment. They spent about thirty one billion dollars that was collected in taxes. So like, of the money that they spent, thirty one billion dollars was collected in taxes as well. Not to mention, they supported one point four million jobs and generated ninety point two billion dollars of labor income. So this is a hobby that is also very good for the tourism industry, local jobs, and for wherever in the spectrum you fall. The taxes collected by the government. So like, people choose to go out and do this thing, and the fact that they did that helps support other government functions as well. And so like this it's kind of a it's its own economy, this whole section of this hobby that's wild.
Speaker 2: Now, there is something in the birding community called the Big Year, and there's a specific activity of some burders take on that. It's called a Big Year, which begins at twelve oh one am January first and lasts until eleven fifty nine pm on December thirty first. During this time, birders dedicate an entire year to observing and recording as many bird species as possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they take a year like this is like we're doing this all day, every day for a year. It's called the Big Year. The American Birding Association also called ABA nice fair.
Speaker 2: That's how we got here, That's why we did That's why we did this episode.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, it's like what is ABA? And then it'll just cascaded from there? What is ABA in addition to what ABA already was? But anyway, the American Birding Association or ABA, they create a checklist for birds eligible to be tracked, and then birders get this checklist and they compete to complete as much of the checklist as possible. In the United States, there are some ground rules for this, but they will usually travel extensively, recording hundreds of flights and driving thousands of miles, and they might be specifically organizing their travel to account for migration patterns and like where people are reporting sightings of specific birds. They're like dedicating time to this to try and get as many birds as they possibly can recorded to their checklist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they have an extensive list of rules, including geographic boundaries and qualifications for what counts. Like you can't go and do an exotic pet store and write down all of their imported birds. That would be cheating. Yeah, there are lots of rules, which is really interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like birds that are not native to the United States don't count, or like if they're extinct. Now they're like, you can't record this because it doesn't exist. So there's some certain rules about what doesn doesn't count and when if you think about it, it does ultimately make sense. Obviously they don't. Yeah, they don't want people cheating, and really there's not very much incentive to cheat because there's no monetary prize. It's really just bracking rights. It is considered extremely prestigious to win the competition by completing the most amount of the checklist, like more than anyone else does that year. But you want to complete as much as you possibly can. And as far as I was able to find, no one has ever completed the entire checklist.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So it's not like a race to the end. It's a find as much as you possibly can, good luck type thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, there is evidently a documentary about this called appropriately enough Big Year, which we have not seen, but Abraham fully intends to watch at some point, and I think I would like to too, Like this has made me want to do a better job of birding in my area, just because I think that Florida has just such a unique ecosystem. But yeah, I mean, I think this is just super fascinating and I would love to see this documentary. I'm super curious about like what could be recorded in this, you know.
Speaker 1: Sure, Yeah, I'm given to understand it was like some college students or something and they're like, we're going to do the Big Year, and that they sort of recorded themselves doing it.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I definitely want to see it. It sounds like a lot of fun. I've heard really good things about it so far.
Speaker 2: So cool. Good.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's what we have to say about birding. Came in a little bit shorter than our normal full length discussions, but yeah, very fun, I would say. You know, for those of you listening that are have done this or you're thinking about doing this, or you know somebody who does this, write in tell us about it. You can email us directly info at WWDWWD podcast dot com. You can also reach us on the social media platforms, and we love to hear from you. Tell us your thoughts on this interesting little hobby that people do. You know, i'd say when we're thinking about the various unpacking, this is sort of functional analysis type thing. I think we kind of said the things like, there's a lot of social reinforcers here. I think there's some inherent sort of puzzly solvingness that goes on to like completing things. I think there is just the experience of novelty, the inherent reinforcement that can come from exercise and being around nature. So there's like a lot of those sort of built in things that are all part of what we described when enumerating the benefits there. But yeah, I think that's what we have to say about this. If you're joining us for the first time, you may not know, but at the end of our full length discussions we recommend some things. They're just random things unrelated to the topic that we were discussing. Most of the time that is the case today. So stick around. We're going to get through the credits and then we'll get to some fun recommendations. And I think we're right about the time that maybe we'll punctuate the end of this discussion with some ads. Do the credits and then recommend some things.
Speaker 2: I love that idea.
Speaker 1: All right, we're back. We are going to recommend things. But first I would like to say thank you all for listening. I appreciate you being here. If you would like to support us, you can leave us a rating and a review. Just click those five stars and then say this show's the best or whatever. I don't care, but I mean I do care, but like you know, be nice. If you have constructive criticism, you can email us. We can talk it out together. You don't need to shoot down our rating just to be rude. You can reach out to us, and I look forward to hearing from you on those things. But yeah, if you leave this rating and review, that helps us show up for more people, and that that helps us be a podcast. So do that thing. You can also tell a friend, maybe grab their phone and subscribe for them so that their life improves just a little bit by you being looking out for them. You know, you get a new podcasts in their feed that they're like, Yes, I learned so much every day or every week. In addition, if you like to support us financially, we really appreciate that you can join us on Patreon. There you get early episodes, ad free content, bonus content, that sort of thing, and I will read your name. I will say your name listener out loud to our other listeners and say a giant thank you to you because you have taken the plunge to help us by joining us on Patreon. So the people who have earned that includes Mike m Megan, Mike T, Justin, Kim Brad, Stephanie, Brian, Ashley, Kiara and Charlie. Thank you all so much for being so wonderful.
Speaker 2: You're beautiful and we love you.
Speaker 1: Indeed. Writing in fact checking from Shane and myself, thank you for recording with me today. Shane, Hey, thanks for having me. And I have more people who help me on my team and I need them. Social Media coordinator is Emma Wilson, and our person in the chair who does all the good sounds is God Emperor. Executive producer genius extraordinaire Justin who is the best producer ever.
Speaker 2: He truly is couldn't ask for a better producer.
Speaker 1: It could not. Anyway. I think that's what we have to say about those things. Is there anything that I forgot or that you would like to add before we recommend things?
Speaker 2: Uh? No, I think that covers it.
Speaker 1: Cue the music.
Speaker 2: Recommendations. My recommendation is a movie that just came out, and you know, it's an interesting one because it's not everybody's cup of tea. And that is the most recent movie that the crew from Jackass put out called Jackass Best and last. Now here's the thing. This is for a particular generation, right, This is for like people who grew up watching these guys get hurt constantly. This is the last one. And it's actually like shockingly emotional because they kind of talk about why this is the last one, and like they're wrapping up and they're just kind of moving on with their lives, and Johnny Knoxville gets like really upset a couple of times, like really like cries. But I was thinking about this and I was like, you know, watching the movie, the stunts are some like old clips from when they were younger. They kind of do like a this is like a highlights reel plus some new things, and and you know it's gross, of course, and like you just kind of go, oh, why they're getting hurt? Oh my god, it's like it's so bad. And I looked it up and between the main cast members of Jackass, they have estimated thirty eight million dollars in medical bills wow, from these stunts, with Johnny Knoxville having the most, close to ten million dollars between sixteen concussions and a brain hemorrhage and then danger Air and having seven point three eight million due to three broken necks. So these guys are you know. The thing is is like the people think that they're stupid and they do these things to be like this, that and the other. But my favorite thing about these movies and these shows is not the stunts. It's the fact that they're a group of friends who just kind of play off on one another and encourage one another and support one another. And it's really, this is gonna sound ridiculous, but Jackass is really just about their friendship and like how important friendship is and how powerful friendship can be, and how loving and supporting your friends can be. As gross as and stupid as they can be. So anyway, I thought it was really great, and it like kind of made me meditate on friendship a little bit and just I don't though. It was a lot of fun. It was a lot of fun to watch, and definitely some nostalgia to go with it, you know.
Speaker 1: Hun, all right, Yeah, they've been doing these for a long time, so I definitely got to imagine that as they're getting up there in age, it's just getting harder and harder to justify doing any of this. And as you said, they maybe make a lot of money from these movies, but I'm not sure that the amount that they make helps offset the cost so much of their medical bills. Right, at some point, it's time to throw in the towel. And I can appreciate that. I hadn't really plans to check this out, but you sold it really well, and now I'm curious enough that I very well might.
Speaker 2: So it's fun. It's fun, it's wild, but it's fun, all right.
Speaker 1: All right, that's Jackass, the best and the last. I'm recommending an album. This is the most recent release by the metalcore or hardcore or metal band, I don't know, whatever genre, I don't care August Burns Red. I'm a big fan of these guys. I have been for a long time, somewhat ironically, but this last album they put out because I felt like I kind of fell off the train for a while. I wasn't really checking out stuff they were releasing. Then I saw a music video for this upcoming album and I thought, I'll check that out. Let's see what it looks like. And I was like really impressed. I was like, Wow, this song was actually really fun. Then they released more and every one of them I just really liked. So I and then the full album came out and I've been listening to it a lot, and I'm in here thinking like, this is maybe the best thing they have done in almost twenty years in my opinion. Wow, I think this is one of my favorite albums that they have ever released. It feels like they're sort of back to the thing that I liked about them there. There's just there's more creativity, there's sort of more unique approaches to things. They're kind of doing stuff that's a little outside the box. That feels like they're kind of going back to like let's do raw, let's do fast, let's do try and come up with something we haven't really done before. Sure, I've really really enjoyed it. So if you're into that kind of thing, you know, it's screaming, it's heavy, it's that sort of thing. But Season of Surrender by August Burns Red, I think is one of the best things they have done in a couple of decades. And so if you like old August Burns Red, like specifically Messengers, that was my favorite album by them. This is up there. This is pretty close. I recommend checking that out.
Speaker 2: Beautiful. I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So the movie Jackass, Best and Last and the album Season of Surrendered by August Burns Read. Those are recommendations. Go check those out. I guess, and then or don't whatever. I can't make you do anything, sure, but I think that's what you have to say about all of that. So we can close this one out. Is there anything you'd like to add that I forgot before we sayah, goodbyes.
Speaker 2: Nope, not today.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, thank you all for listening. This is Abraham and this is Shane. We're out.
Speaker 2: Siya.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Why We Do what We Do.
Speaker 2: You can learn more about this and other episodes by going to WWD WWD podcast dot com, Thanks for listening and we hope you have an awesome day.