Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and Jacin Salles. They have their eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Stage chat Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: And welcome back trying the ball here Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Si Rivera and with each days our guy one and now he has breaking news. Did you go dark on me? There's no breaking news and stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh there's breaking news. Is done, no intro, I guess today. Okay, Happy Friday to everyone out there. Sorry for the technical difficulties right there. Starting off breaking news, the Derek Rose has officially retired.
Speaker 2: He announced last night.
Speaker 3: He's leaving legacy in Chicago and various other spots.
Speaker 2: In the around the NBA. He was in the league for fifteen years.
Speaker 3: I believe that he's the number one overall pick and those nine thousand and eight eight. Yeah, yeah, I think it's around fifteen years, just a little bit over probably.
Speaker 2: Uh congratulations, you know, no, no, never mind, it was just your someone said silence, But no, that was just the breaking news. Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 3: He played with the Knicks, the Cavaliers, Timberwalls, Pistons, and uh finishing out with the Grizzlies. I'm sure that the Bulls will sign them for like a one day.
Speaker 2: I don't think I saw somewhere where they're not allowed to because some NBA rule. Really yeah, yeah, you think that, but I think there was something against that happening or something that prohibited that prohibited that from that happening.
Speaker 3: Oh so I guess he'll be retiring as a Grizzly somebody. Yeah, somebody he was? He was a Memphis, right, he played a Memphis. He had a couple He had a fifty point game, fifty one point game with the Timberwolves two.
Speaker 2: Thousand and I think that was my last Final Four because of the paper closing. Really yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: To other NBA news, Unfortunately for my San Antonio Spurs, our guard Devin of a Cell will be missing the start of the upcoming season as he's recovering from an off season surgery.
Speaker 2: I couldn't even tell you who he was. Was he did he play? Yeah, he's one of the starts. I think he's a startup. Where is he from? Is it an international guy?
Speaker 3: I'll try to find more on, but I know he's one of the young people that they're trying to surround him with.
Speaker 2: They should have a better season, right because of uh, what's the name.
Speaker 3: They didn't have a bad season compared to what they were having beginning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he had a great summer.
Speaker 3: Obviously he went toe to toe with the USA team.
Speaker 2: So unfortunate. But to the NFL.
Speaker 3: Now, Thursday Night football, the Dallas Cowboys defeated the New York Giants twenty to fifteen.
Speaker 2: Hit the number right on the head in an unusual score twenty to fifteen to fifteen.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately for them, Uh, Micah Parsons is gonna be dealing with a couple of or injury high left ankle sprain and uh the Marcus Lawrence suffered a right midfoot spring keeping them out for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Now yeah yeah, and Dallas cannot afford to h to lose.
Speaker 3: Anybody on the defensive side, now yeah. And even in that in that game too, the elak Neighbors their rookie wide receiver winning with the concussion. So a lot of injuries from last night pushing the best for them. More injuries for the Jaguars tied end Evaningham to miss his third straight game with a hamstring injury. So just in and out of the laundry list of NFL injuries. Even the Raiders, they were going to be out. We're gonna be without DeVante Adams and Max Crosby due to injuries hamstring for Adams and a left high ankle sprain for Cosby. Right right, Uh, So the Pistons owner, the Detroit Pistons owner Tom Groves has a great to purchase a limited share of the Chargers.
Speaker 2: M Okay, you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Be purchasing twenty seven percent of the franchise, which includes twenty four percent by Dave Spanos.
Speaker 2: Barbiond.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to say that name, but okay, Uh, a little bit of new ownership for the Chargers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with a new coach, I think I think that they're obviously going to be be a future problem for a lot of teams because of the new coach you know, you know, and uh and some of the things they're doing right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there they are a challenge right now if they can keep their quarterback healthy as we deal with Yeah, to the Steelers.
Speaker 2: Right in a you know, slow game, low game, yeah.
Speaker 3: The way Pittsburgh likes it right now right waiting for them, and they're they're winning ugly, which is of course is fine.
Speaker 2: You know, as long as you win.
Speaker 3: Win does a win at the end of the day. Week three for the NFL some good matchups. You got the Foursore, what is it?
Speaker 2: Yes? Week four, thank you sir.
Speaker 3: Week four Saints and Falcons going up against each other. You got the Eagles and the Buccaneers. Eagles trying to keep their momentum after their win against the Saints last last week, and the Buccaneers looking to bounce back from a loss to the Broncos.
Speaker 5: UH.
Speaker 3: Looking at the UH Commanders and Cardinals. I think it will be a good game. It's in State Farm Commanders coming off the big Monday night win. Cardinals if they're one and two. But there are two good losses in my opinion, to the Bills and to the Lions. They competed, and that's that's right. They did, they did. I had them against both games. I didn't bet they're win. Who they would beat? Who they beat?
Speaker 2: The Cardinals? Yeah, the Rams, oh yeah, yeah. They played well in that game, really well.
Speaker 3: And then you got Sunday Night Football, Bills going to the Ravens. Ravens coming out their first win of the season against the Cowboys. Bills on the Feuter right now at three, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right with Alan playing out of his mind, were you know you were out with us. We had my guest on Monday and with with Matt and Henry right, we're talking about give me your top five quarterbacks. Give you your top five quarterbacks NFL. You want them in order, just just tough.
Speaker 3: You got Mahomes of course, Alan, Okay, I think you gotta put Rogers in there just because.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can give you anything. It's a smort it's a small list, short list.
Speaker 3: I think you could put Jalen Hurts up there. I think I think j Hurts and Lamar Jackson to close it out.
Speaker 2: Okay, well they put Jackson in there because of who he is. It's all about timing, right, So we had him on Monday, and they didn't include Alan because well Alan wasn't you know whatever. And then he has a great game. I have him in there, but you know they hadn't had him in there though, the Baltimore guy. Yes, and then you had Hurts. They didn't have Hurts in there. It was a short list, but it's just kind of a timing. They didn't have Alan, which of course, you know, shocked me and my guest, because he's pretty good. He's pretty good, and he's versatile. Yeah, he just hasn't done much because he's running into a team like Kansas City every year. Every year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I put hurts and I try to think of it as if they have all their players, they have all the weapons at their arsenal.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 3: I think top Burrow. I think he's had weapons for the most vinyl. I think he's done with much with it much since the Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about some Francisco's guy.
Speaker 3: I think I need one more season, one more full season for evidence if he can make.
Speaker 2: Crack that top What about the San Diego's guy? No, No, no, I don't think. I don't think it's the top five.
Speaker 3: I think he's along the six seven, maybe even an eight, but not a top five.
Speaker 2: But pretty pretty. You need more evidence, Yeah, I need more evidence for party. Okay, Yeah, I think they had him in there, and I'm thinking he's not the spectacular quarterback. He's a good quarterback, but I'm not sure he's.
Speaker 3: And this might be controversial to anyone out there, but I think he's the perfect system quarterbacks quarterback. No, he's I'm not shaming him because of that. He's I don't want that dude.
Speaker 2: Because that's how you needed a quarterback exactly, just win, get your team back and forth. To me, Uh, the starback was that guy back in my day, just kind of just a dude who's very good and kind of ran the system how they want you to run the system. If the coach says go left, he's going to go left. Yes, Fefita is that guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, I was about to do.
Speaker 2: Laura was not that guy because he kind of ran it his own way and kind of out of the box too much.
Speaker 3: Tefa put the ball where he needed to be. Pretty does the same thing is Frafida?
Speaker 2: I know what telling here? Is Fafida better now than he was last year? I don't think this is all timing too right, because you know, I'm not just say that he's uh regress regressed. I think he's exactly where he was last year. Yeah, yeah, I think the circumstances of the events have kind of made you kind of think about it, right for a second. This is not about him because he doesn't have the same targets, he doesn't have the same offense. Uh, he's still the same player, except that he doesn't have the people around him.
Speaker 3: I think I think the progression that I've seen has been in his mobility.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, I.
Speaker 3: Think he's because he has that do because he has to be.
Speaker 2: If you want to run, you want to go run more.
Speaker 3: Not necessarily, I think. I think it's it depends on the game plan. If they're a run heavy game plan that for that week, then Yeah, so a little readoption that he's gonna pull a g ten yards first down. Yeah, that's part of the kind of quarterback he is. You know, just keep forward.
Speaker 2: He's capable, but you don't want him to run because you could get hurt. Yeah, you don't want That's the last thing this team needs. Yeah, exactly, you know, and and teammate to get to get hurt, and some of the other guys to get hurt. Given the circumstances of what's going on right now. Yeah, anything else. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Hurricane Helene has impacted the college football Well, now, the Appalachian State game went up against the Liberty has been canceled.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Liberty is hoping.
Speaker 3: To reschedule a game or add another game to their schedule because they believe they have playoff Yeah. Aspirations they can get in and they want to be They think that if they have an eleven game season it would hinder them, so.
Speaker 2: Hopefully they can.
Speaker 3: You know, they'd like to see all teams play twelve games in the season, but just might have to be eleven games. And it's even affected the Broncos. They were in West Virginia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to be there by that time, right, just the remnants of the of the hurricane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so they were at a resort that had a practice fields, but they don't have an end one, so they had to go play on the indoor tennis courts. They had to do their little some stuff on that court. So which which the best for as far as safety for everyone out there. Hopefully no more games are canceled. But Aleen is here right, Okay? Yeah, soo Auburn is going back to their original quarterback that started the season, paying Thorn for their game against Oklahoma this week.
Speaker 2: So we'll see what happens. I don't, I don't.
Speaker 3: I've never believed in let's go back to QB. I think you just gotta stick with the backup at that point. Okay, that's it. Soccer, you a Soccer connect. You have a soccer big win last night over Cincinnati, their first official Big twelve win, beating them two to zero. Okay, cool, And then you got as far as their next game. They played West Virginia on Sunday eleven thirty am. And volleyball, who suffered their first loss of the season to Baylor. We're gonna go and play to you tonight or in about twenty minutes or so. Yeah, and of course you got Week five college football.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good matchup. You got Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: State, Kansas State at Kansas State should be a good gamely early kickof nine am.
Speaker 2: You got the BYU.
Speaker 3: Cougar Is going to Baylor should be a good game just because it's at Baylor. Probably got Louisville going to Notre Dame. Of course, you got the big matchup. Georgia going to Alabama should be a good one. Illinois Penn State, I think is going to be good.
Speaker 2: I will get your your best bet or you're you're lucking at the end of the Yeah, a.
Speaker 3: Little bit of underrated game just because they're not Power five. But Washington State going to the Smurf Turf and Boise State they're looking to remain undefeated. Boise State looking to just not taking another loss so they can try to get into the playoffs. Okay, that's it for me.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: There was a couple of things that I thought I had. I think we can just go we's just go to break. I'll come up with something. I can't remember what they were. They were not that they were important. Obviously, Tiger Woods lost his trademarkt agreement. I guess with there his red shirt, his red tight you know red tiger shirt. You saw that probably, and I think that's it. Luckially, you get your red blue tickets. That's takes a week. A week from today. You don't have to you don't have to get tickets. You're gonna be there. You know you're gonna be there. It should be a lot of fun. I guess I'm a guy who's seen too many of them, so it doesn't really fall on me, and it doesn't work for me. I should say, uh, and that's about it. I think you've a you've a look into if you're interested in meeting some of the guys. I know they weren't at an event a couple of days ago on the South Side. There's gonna be in a few events of that night. I think there's gonna be post parties there. So there's a lot of and in Phoenix too. So that's in two weeks from today. The basketball season's kind of soon approaching.
Speaker 3: H snuck up on me. I didn't realize the Red and Blue was next week. Yeah, yeah, right, Okay, thanks a bunch. We're going to come back on the other side with Jake.
Speaker 2: Fisher with Soul Casino Del Soul, the Soul of Tucson. Are you ready enterprise so fasco YACKI try.
Speaker 7: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect with type, color and style, and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato, Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kim, We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment? Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 8: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 9: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employee looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 10: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpe is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Volpe team dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or called five to two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven aerazon a bk Ninez two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to Commitment to Lyndrix, Syncredit, greates and avaiable loan program or subject to change un notice.
Speaker 11: Did you know sports cards that memorabilia are setting records sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantles for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookies so for five points six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 12: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big.
Speaker 2: Watch your savings grow to help you.
Speaker 12: Reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more.
Speaker 2: Visit Pyramid FCU.
Speaker 12: Dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 2: That really insured and CUA.
Speaker 6: Got bugs, termites, bees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialists US can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment of past control. Get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpass dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez soun Fox Sports fourteen to fifteen. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app just Surgeon I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, he Swan. Now we have Jake Fisher high doing Jake.
Speaker 13: We don't want to follow you, guys, We're doing okay.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question. Am I going to get the fun Jake or the cranky Jake? Because we did not talk to you after last uh last Weekend's you a football game? What did you what did you see from that? And what do you can we use that moving forward?
Speaker 5: Well, Number one, you're gonna get the fun Jake. Obviously, I'm over it. I'm always over it the next day.
Speaker 13: I never. I never kind of you.
Speaker 5: Know, dwell in the losses and whatnot, a lot of things to take from it, a lot of penalties, obviously, I hope because this is what I've experienced. I hope this last week you've basically you went hard and practice all week because you know the fact is it wasn't a talent issue. There wasn't a huge talent discrepancy. It's the same thing that we saw from the defensive side. Uh, you know when we played New Mexico. Can't contain a running quarterback. If you contain a running quarterback, you make them pass like Dyu did last week.
Speaker 13: We would have been fine.
Speaker 5: It was fourteen seven in the middle of you know, not the middle of the third quarter, but you know, after the first couple of drives in the third quarter, and then after that because of all the penalties and all the missshots that we had, as soon as they scored that last touchdown, it almost looked like it broke our back and like we kind of just packed it in. So number one penalties, if we're able to take the penalties down, I think it you know, resulted in two miss first downs. Other than that, I mean, it just kind of.
Speaker 13: Put some points on the board. Man.
Speaker 5: I mean, the defense is out there way too long. You know, they sustained a couple of drives where defense just made a mental mistake and you know, thankfully at the end of the first half, he didn't you know, he didn't check the clock. Otherwise that could have broke our.
Speaker 13: Back right there.
Speaker 5: So other than that, just mental mistakes and if we're gonna be playing against the backup quarterback, if we get up on them, then we can kind of release the hounds, let them go after the quarterback and go from there. But other than that, just cut down the penalties.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So given that they have a week off, we talked to a keen of this week and he talked about how last year they lose to Washington, they lose to usc but the city of Tucsons is excited not so much this time with the loss of Kansas State. Do you think that's an over Do you think it's an overreaction or do you think the city of Tucsons in their right mind or what's what's going on.
Speaker 5: I think because we've never had back to back ten when you know, ten win seasons, I think that one kind of just disappointed and kind of deflated the city of too Son. I think if they come back and put on a good showing against Utah, I think everybody will be optimistic. Again. It's just we're used to them putting up a lot of points and driving down, you know, and scoring and for whatever reason, you know, this past game, well the past two games, really we haven't looked apart. So we're just gonna need to pull our heads out of our you know what, and we got to go down and put some points on the board because the defense can't be out there that.
Speaker 13: Long, you know, when you don't have some of.
Speaker 5: The hastas on the defensive line, especially that.
Speaker 2: We did last year.
Speaker 13: And you know, right.
Speaker 5: Now, it almost looks like the defense is just they just don't look like they're used to the system. You know. You think because we have some of these guys coming back with the same terminology that it would just kind.
Speaker 13: Of be turn key.
Speaker 5: But we got a lot of guys playing that you know, normally don't play thankfully, were we should be getting Dalton Dalton I forget his last name for the life of me, back to our best safety in my opinion, So if we can get some of those guys back, kind of reassure the truths and uh just plut me their hair on fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it sounds easy, but obviously it's not. Let me ask you the thing that you brought up a couple of times of the penalties, where does that come from? Because if it seems like most of our are undisciplined, well, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: One of them on Rhino who was playing on a bad knee. I know that, you know, I mean, you can let that go. But he just, you know, an older guy made a good pass rush move, kind of dipped in, you know, and then kind of got him off his balance, and then he reached and had to kind of so he didn't have a free shot at Noah and then Moy. I mean, he was going to hit a guy, a quicker guy, you know, and honestly, if he didn't get his hands on him, he probably would have basically juked himself out of the play. But you know, he was trying to hit him. That happened a couple of the other ones. Just you know, defensive off sides, all that other stuff. It's just all discipline. And like I said, you know the two coaching staffs I had when we were at the U of A. If we had a game like that with all those penalties, I mean that next week is tough. And the cool thing is if you win a game and you know it's going to be a they're gonna be a little more lenient on you. You're going to put a hell of a lot more effort into the weeks where he you know after a loss.
Speaker 2: Tell me because and does that work?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: It depends on who they're coaching.
Speaker 13: Seven. Yeah, tough is good on good.
Speaker 5: And you know, if you got a guy injured that you can rely on, obviously you let him get well. But if you got guys that didn't perform well, you know, they just didn't look good and he didn't look disciplined, you're going good.
Speaker 13: On good a lot. That's just kind of how it is because if you let.
Speaker 5: Guys, especially at this level, if you let guys get away with that type of stuff going through the whole year, right, you're not going to get better. So this should have been a dresser in camp. I know it's a new coaching staff with a lot of new moving parts, but you know, especially rich Rod, he would make it hell we.
Speaker 2: Right right, And he was one of those dudes that hates to lose, hated to lose and let's go. Let's go with that. So we saw that. We spend a lot of time with rich Rod and I even did a story about how much how painful it was for him to lose. He says, well, if you're going to play a game and you keep score, hell, I want to win. Right, you know, why not? Why not win? What do you make? And you could be as honest as you want, what do you make of Brennan?
Speaker 13: Well, to be honest with you, I've never met him.
Speaker 5: I know, if you can turn around a San Jose State program into what it was and consistently make bowl games, it's not that you're a bad coach, you know, It's just it's one of those things where I think, you know, the feeling out process has been a little bit longer than I would have liked. And if you have this type of talent on the offensive side of the ball, then you only put up you know, twenty and then ten or twenty and then seven or whatever it's been over the last two weeks. That's a problem, especially because Tmax still had like one hundred and sixty something yards receiving, So it's like, what the hell are we doing? And a lot of it, again comes down to either miscommunication, the penalties, you know, maybe getting pushed around on the line. I mean, it didn't look like we were getting bullied on the line, you know, it was the outside containment. It's you know, we got them on third and eleven or third and twelve, third and eight, third and seven or whatever it might be.
Speaker 13: I mean, you have a chance.
Speaker 5: To really stop him, get the ball back to the offense's obviously struggling, but then you let a guy run for you know. I mean in the third quarter, the guy ran for like forty yards and that.
Speaker 13: Broke our back.
Speaker 5: So again, it's penalties, it's just miscommunications, whatever it might be. Hopefully they're all you know, they're a little bit tired of this week.
Speaker 2: There was something I want to ask you, Oh, you know, the thing that bothered me the most, and you know I have no skin in the game, and I'm not a fan or not not against them either, is that they looked or appeared like they were indifferent. There was no life after that first drive and they went down. It was like, you know, what the hell, let's get out of here and you know, regroup when we get back to Tucson. I don't know if you sense that.
Speaker 13: I mean I kind of did. After the first drive.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I like the meticulous drives where you get to third and two, third and three and you continually get a first down that can break.
Speaker 13: The spirit of a defense.
Speaker 5: You know, if we would have had another drive like that, maybe it would have been a different game.
Speaker 13: I don't know, you know.
Speaker 5: But the fact of the matter is the coaches.
Speaker 13: Obviously, you know the two head coaches.
Speaker 5: I had when I was there, they get in your face if you didn't do well. You know, I don't see a lot of that. It depends on what the kid reacts to. If the young man is okay with taking that kind of criticism, go for it.
Speaker 13: If they're not. And if you're gonna have a guy where.
Speaker 5: You know, a coach gets in your face, screams at you and yelled at you, honestly, I mean put that aside, and you know, work harder for your guys. I don't know what to tell you, but it's just different. Normally, you shouldn't have a guy that you know, needs to have somebody getting in their face because they already have that that kind of competitive spair within them. But the fact of the matter is you got to find out how to push these guys buttons. But I didn't see it. Yeah, no, I did didn't either.
Speaker 2: Let me Let me ask you something because I mentioned you earlier before you came on. Uh, you were one of those guys that helped Spearhead to continue to payment for guys and all that. How would you have reacted had the guy at Vegue had someone like Vega, the guy in Vegas leaves Arizona wasn't getting paid. You guys are doing really well and then he leaves. Uh, you know, I'm sure you would have been pissed. One and two you wouldn't want him to come back and play because he's already given up on the team. I could be wrong, but that's just my view of how you would react. I know how I would react.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, there's three sides to the story of you know, what really happened. You have, you know, both sides telling you what happened. And this is how I see it. If he was promised money, obviously he's pissed.
Speaker 13: If he's saying this.
Speaker 5: To try to get, you know, a pay increase, then obviously the program is pissed. So it's like, who's right here? Right If you're one of the players, he comes and he says, they offered me money and they're not giving me the money, and then you have the coaching staff and the entire organization coming and say, we never talked to the agent about this. Then to be honest with you, like, you know, I'm going to be pissed off at the quarterback.
Speaker 13: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's one of those things to where if you have something in writing and like it goes back to the nil thing, like this is a wild wild West right now. Kids deserve to get paid. I'm never going to say they don't. However, needs to come to the you know, the part where there needs to be contracts.
Speaker 13: There just has to be.
Speaker 5: So if somebody comes and says, hey, listen, I have an incentive structure here saying you know, if we won our first three games and I'm the starting quarterback, I get one hundred grand, Well then you know, if they don't adhere to it, then you know, obviously remove it from the locker room. This is on your agent and on the university. But if you don't have it, and now it's just kind of a hearsay thing, you don't know who to believe. So again, people deserve to get paid. However, it needs to go to the next step, step out of the wild wild west that we've had over the last couple of years. Start putting contracts together and get this all solidified. But you know, the NCAA won't do that. Because it takes them, you know, four games basically to tell a guy he can play, when they told them already over the offseason that he could.
Speaker 2: Right going truth that he may never see the light of day again here and do something. Okay, So now, so now, Steve Rivera is you're a quarterback, you're the linebacker for the team, and and I leave. Well, listen, I'm the quarterback that wants to end up on your team and I just left my other team. You gonna welcome with open arms.
Speaker 13: I don't know about that.
Speaker 5: First, I would say, well, number one, Steve, I know you didn't get offered one hundred grand, so we'll start there.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: I honestly, I don't know how I feel if if you're gonna be a mercenary and you're doing it just for the money, I don't want you on my team, exactly, I said.
Speaker 2: I said that earlier this week. I said, I don't know if I want that dude being my quarterback, because what the hell? He might jump ship.
Speaker 5: Again exactly, and guess what if you know, he makes up a story where he wins the next three games. When he goes over there and you guys are on a roll, everybody's happy because they're winning. And then he goes they also offer me this money and then you jump ship. It's like, I mean, now you're left hold in the bag. So no, if somebody's gonna be a mercenary just for money, I don't want to sure.
Speaker 2: And then I don't know how you would feel. But you're thinking this dude, Steve riverare he's get one hundred thousand, I'm more getting fifty. What's up with that?
Speaker 5: Well, I guess with Steve, if your production is better than mine, I have no problem with you get and pay more money.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, that's good. Look at you, mister pregnantity. Hey, by the way, only one of us can be funny on the show, so stop it. So give you a prediction for this weekend.
Speaker 5: If it's the backup quarterback playing, which I haven't heard, definitively, I don't.
Speaker 13: Know if you have. I don't follow this uff.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be the backup.
Speaker 13: Well, if it's the.
Speaker 5: Backup, then we better win, That's all I'm gonna say. If we lose to a backup, even though Utah is a hell of a team, but they don't have Cam Rising, then we should win.
Speaker 13: And to be.
Speaker 5: Honest with you, I mean, if we're able to even allow Noah to stay clean for most of the game, then we better pick them apart. Because you know, to be honest with you, if you jump up on a team that has a backup quarterback, like I said earlier, then all of a sudden, they have to start pressing and you are able to start blitzing the hell out of a backup quarterback. I mean, they're going to be in a world of hurt. So if we jump up to a little bit of a lead where they have to actually start throwing the ball and he has to start making checks at the line of scrimmage, you start blitzing them.
Speaker 13: We better win. That's all the thing.
Speaker 5: I'm not giving you a score prediction.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: If we don't win, I'm very disappointed.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: And lastly, you you how were you guys in revenge games? And doesn't it really does it really matter? You know, Utah came here, you're thinking, oh, wow, look Arizona's got these guys and and not it was it was it was a big difference. Arizona kick the crap out of them now on the revenge game. How was that played out. Maybe not specific to this, but the games you have always played in for revenge, well.
Speaker 5: Obviously you know you want to kick the heck out of somebody that kicked the heck out of you the first time or the you know, the previous time.
Speaker 13: This one, in my opinion, is a little bit different.
Speaker 5: Any of have a different coaching staff, and to be honest with you, the youth over the last ten years, every single time they get up, they keep going until the final whistles. So how many times have they rolling the opponent? Yeah, you know they can't complain even after the game. Last year, coach Whinningham said, I'm not mad at that, you know, the with Ahad and blown yet, so I expect him to go. So if that's what he's about, then I don't really think he's looking at as a revenge game. I think these big time coaches that have been so good for so long, they look at a game as a game. I don't think they put one over another. And I think that model of consistency is the reason why he's continued.
Speaker 13: To do what he does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree with you. There's no need to do that because you know how good you are. And you just need a seam roll on your own.
Speaker 13: Exactly.
Speaker 5: I let the guys, as long as you've prepared him the right way, the guys should go out and play the way that you know they should.
Speaker 2: All right, Jake, thanks a bunch, Thanks a bunch. We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 13: Absolutely what talk to him?
Speaker 2: Good luck? Good luck? That was Jake Fisher. We're going to come back and near the side and we'll get a hold of Jay. See what if he has any magic to do what he did last week with a perfect pick. It took him on ten years, so we'll come back. We'll get you your winner too this time. Okay. Thanks. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for newly forty years. Now. Take a look back at the Ludelson era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com. Hi, this is formal.
Speaker 14: While gat Leman huntly with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 13: In your life.
Speaker 14: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms, and free rate equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 9: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, it's time to earn the degreeer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tuson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Nord Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 15: Ladies, have you ever dreamed of playing the main event at the World Poker Tour. The Royal Rebels is a ladies only poker league and we are looking for new players to join us this fall. We have a new poker season starting October third. We will be playing seven games on line and the winner will represent us in Vegas at the World Poker Tour. This main event seat is worth ten four dollars. For more information and to register, go to www dot Royal Rebelspoker dot.
Speaker 1: Com breaking down all the exes at OHS. It's Steve Leverra and Jagin Salvias. This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Keys, Juan and look who made his way back on the show. You like you like one of those roaches I saw at the old station that I couldn't find under the walls, couldn't catch, couldn't step on.
Speaker 5: Especially especially for.
Speaker 2: Especially especially last week when you when you won that perfect week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's well. I prefer to be known as a scab, just something that keeps you scrape off and to keep it coming back. I don't like the roach thing, you know. I'm with being a scatter.
Speaker 2: This is my This is my analogy, not yours. You can't your nickname here. But no, no, congratulations. That's been since you were a young man when this happened.
Speaker 4: Not quite true, but it had. It has been six years since they got a perfect week. The twenty eighteen season was my last one, so I didn't realize it had been that long. I thought it hadn't In the last couple of years, but apparently not.
Speaker 2: Okay, well you're ahead of me, which is, you know, another shocker, but you stayed one up. I had a five.
Speaker 5: Enough.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll see what happens this week, because it's for me. It was kind of a tough week to pick.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what I saw. What I saw was there was a bunch of games that have points spreads that are screaming at you to take, which I'm always suspicious of those, right, but I'm taking two of them. I don't know what to tell you, you know, but they're like, you know, I didn't take the Frances Clemson is giving twenty one and a half to Stanford. Stanford, you know, it's been decent and Conson has not. There's a couple others. I think I thought the Miami Virginia Tech game tonight was tempting. You know, Virginia Chich's been awful, Miami has been real good and it's only nineteen. I don't know. There's a whole bunch of those, and I'm a little wary of them, and then I'm looking through and then I couldn't find anything else to take. But I took two of them and I'll tell I'll tell you what those are.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's go. Let's go and get this done. So we get this done, you go ahead and go first.
Speaker 5: You're you're the leader, Okay, I'll start.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I've been on the on the Texas bandwagon from the get go. They've covered four weeks in a row for me, even with big giant spreads, and they have another one this week. They're giving thirty eight points to Mississippi State. They aren't home, so I think, and I know Mississippi State has been awful. So I'm just gonna you know, I'm just one of those picks. I'm taking Texas because if I don't and they cover, I said this classic, I'll be pissed to myself. So I'm just gonna keep taking them until they don't cover. So Texas minus the thirty eight at home against Mississippi State.
Speaker 2: Well here's the sad point. I'm going to agree with you on that one. I know you've been writing them. I don't think i've taken them all year, but in my list of teams to pick, they landed on that list, and and why not thirty eight? It's a big number, Like you said, Mississippi State is not that good, so I like that number two. At some point they're going to disappoint you, right, I hope it's not right. I hope it's not this weekend, because I'm picking them too, you know.
Speaker 4: And if it's this weekend and I'm four and one against the spread with those guys, I can't complain. So yeah, all right, well.
Speaker 2: Well they're the number one team. First time they're the number one, right.
Speaker 16: It was just they're really good. Yeah, they're really good. Damn Dell CONTI, you know, future.
Speaker 4: All right, this is another one that I looked at this and I said, how can you not take this? Illinois, you know, went to Nebraska and beat Nebraska. They're they're undefeated against the point spread. They're undefeated against the spread, and uh, the gating eighteen points at Penn State. Eighteen points seems like a lot for a team that's been, you know, so good so far. Who who else did they beat? I can't remember, but I just they went over and they beat up on Nebraska. So I'm taking it. I'm gonna take Illinois and I'm taking the eighteen points at Penn State.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's interesting. That's that's a good pick. I guess I'm gonna take Iowa State going to Houston in minus fourteen and a half. I think the Iowa State is okay, I think they'll cover that. I'm not sure how good Houston is, but I like that number. I like that team for this for this weekend at least.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, here's another one. And again, you know, I obviously we saw these guys get their butts kicked last week by Tennessee. But Oklahoma is going to Auburn and only giving two.
Speaker 2: I saw that too, only giving two.
Speaker 4: And again it's another one that who knows who knows something that we don't know that that line is only two. Auburn is two and two, including a lot at home to cal Arkansas beat the hell out of them at home yet at Auburn last week.
Speaker 5: And here comes Oklahoma.
Speaker 4: I don't know how that's only a two point line, but I'm gonna take Oklahoma and give the two, and I'm gonna lock that though.
Speaker 2: I like I like that pick two. I like that picture. Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna take. I haven't really picked my second lock, but Ohio State minus twenty three and a half and.
Speaker 4: I've already gone who they play, Michigan State.
Speaker 2: Michigan State. So minus two and three.
Speaker 4: I looked hard at that. Yeah, I looked real hard at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a big for that game, but I think they're gonna be fine with that. Twenty three and a half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if that game is at Ohio State, and even if it's twenty eight points at Ohio State, I think I take it. That seems like a big number for the road, so I'm not taking that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I'm gonna I looked hard at it. I'm gonna throw I'm gonna throw that in my lock department.
Speaker 4: You're gonna lock that one, okay.
Speaker 2: Reluxant, lock, reluxant. Okay, the other two of my pro games, right, and one's a lock?
Speaker 13: I read.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm not really sure. I'm not too sure, but mother picks have ridden this team for a while. Okay, So yeah, all right, you know what I like the Lions.
Speaker 4: They're giving three and a half that are at home against the Seahawks. I know the Seahawks have been decent, but they're on the road. Uh, it's a Monday night game, so Monday night home games are a different thing. They're a spectacle. I feel the Lions fans are going to be fired up for this. I prefer this is two and a half, not three and a half. But I feel pretty good about the Lions, so I'm gonna take the Lions at home giving three and a half to the Seahawks.
Speaker 2: So you know, I must be looking at the same numbers because I like Detroyd. I've written you tried a couple of times already. This might be my third time. So I like three and a half two. I agree with you. I'd rather have two and a half than three and a half. But I like this number. I like this team.
Speaker 4: Are you taking it?
Speaker 2: I'm taking de Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, okay, Well here's the special. I'm gonna unveil this. I don't know what what you're gonna do, but.
Speaker 2: You know I was all over the.
Speaker 4: Bills last week. I locked him in fact, they covered for me huge. They looked very impressive. I mean they just kicked a living you know what out of the play the Jagged last week. Who was it?
Speaker 5: They beat the hell.
Speaker 2: Out of somebody. Yeah, Jacksonville, Jacksonville, Jacksonville.
Speaker 4: And they look really good. But this is that game to me, where Josh Allen is expected to you know, okay, he's specially they're already talking MVP for him and stuff like this. This is the type of game where he falls flat face. They're at the Ravens. I'm a little surprised that the Ravens are giving points, but it's only two and a half. So basically, who wins the game. I think Lamar Jackson is He's due for a great game. It's the Sunday night game. I'm gonna take the I'm gonna take the favorite. But to me, they're like the underdog. Everybody thinks that the Bills are going to cover this. People are, you know, Bills getting points. People are all over that I'm taking the Ravens and getting the two and a half.
Speaker 2: I don't know who you're talking to, but I'm talking to the same people apparently, because I'm not taking I'm not taking Buffalo on this one. I'm taking Baltimore. I think Baltimore. Buffalo has already got their kind of nice cushion. Baltimore still needs to get back on the winning ways, and they did last week obviously, but I think this is an important game because the two good teams they might face each other in the playoffs and Baltimore. No, I agree with you, and the number is not bad. I like the number.
Speaker 4: So I'm going and a half.
Speaker 2: I'm going with Baltimore too. I'm going with Baltimore. So yeah, what I have one, two, three, two?
Speaker 4: I mean we have let's see, we both got Texas and both got the lines.
Speaker 2: We both got the Ravens man.
Speaker 4: You've got Ohio State and Iowa State.
Speaker 2: I've got Illinois, Oklahoma, all the gin joints. This time we have three same pictures. This is the first time.
Speaker 4: Remember I gave my picks first. Though. Somebody's gonna get get get accused of, you know, following somebody.
Speaker 2: You're following me, Dad, I have never been following years. I'll have to reevalue my life.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So uh yeah, well three games the same. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But you know, Steve, I mean go ahead.
Speaker 4: It's like there were just some obvious games. It seemed like, yeah, no to me, the obvious always seems to be where you get tripped up. Yeah, and that I'm a little worried about.
Speaker 2: These things right right now, I really am. Yeah. They're tough games, but but I I agree with you, so wait, wait, we didn't get our our soothsayer here last week. He said, go ahead and tell me what you were gonna.
Speaker 3: So, so, Jay, I don't know if you remember this, but last week during breaking news I had talked about the games for the week for college football. I said, b y U and Kansas State. I think that's going to be a good game, right.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't get a chance to to say my lock for the week because you were giving your goodbyes.
Speaker 2: Everyone was crying giving you I was going to choose by u.
Speaker 4: H Man, Kansas State holds the hell out of me last week.
Speaker 2: So he's telling you, it's like you going to the to the to the window to make a bet. It gets the game starts and you're thinking, but I was gonna pick this, Yeah, sure you were.
Speaker 4: You know, I mean, I'm going to give one the benefit of the docks. I do you remember him bringing that up? And I was a shot with anybody. You bought the way by. You beat the hell out of him. I mean they just beat the livy dookie out of him. That was ugly.
Speaker 5: And Tennis, Steve, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know if you've been talking about this all week, but that really made me think about how bad that lock was for Arizona at Kansas State, because remember we came out of that thinking, man, Kansas State must be really good, and then they had.
Speaker 2: That Yeah right, no, I hear, yeah.
Speaker 4: Your lock is who My lock this week is Oklahoma?
Speaker 2: Oklahoma.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I think it is too, but I worry either.
Speaker 2: The funny thing about it is you get your perfect week this week and then last week, and Henry says it took which is a good life from Henry because Hennary doesn't say much. He says, it took you to leave the show to become perfect in a week. You know what.
Speaker 4: That's not right. Okay, that's that's not right. And I need somebody standing up for me over there. I know Juan wasn't there, but somebody, either Matt or somebody's got to got to have my back when things like that get said about me behind my back.
Speaker 2: Well, Henry has never cracked wise, but he didn't crack wise. He hasn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he made he looks mean up a little bit. I mean it's a it's a funny comment. If I'm if I'm listening to it, I'm laughing. So it was funny but at my expense. So I don't know what you say.
Speaker 2: Right? There was also okay, so that you who'd you pick?
Speaker 3: So am I locked? I'm gonna go with Jay. I'm gonna go or maybe not. I don't remember who you choose, but he chose the Illinois Penn State game.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Illinois, all right, you and me.
Speaker 4: Man, there's an air knuckle to you on that game.
Speaker 3: I think all the head coach for Pen State he wants wide out energy.
Speaker 2: Uh, but it's not the white out game. I don't think. Yeah. Yeah, So just real quick, I was I've been telling the listeners, uh, what our plans are for Casino del Sol. Why don't you go ahead and tell him? I'm sure you're excited about what's happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I am. We were over there yesterday and we got our setup ready to go.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 4: This is supposed to be a once a month thing, but since we didn't get a show in in September, we needed two in October. So we're going to October the tenth, which is a Thursday, and then two weeks later again October the fourteenth. On October the twenty fourth, Uh, you know, another Thursday, and again these are intending you know, we you know, it'll take us into the NFL game you know for that night, and then the next show after that is gonna be November the fourteenth, so the second Thursday in November. So those are the three that are scheduled. I would love for you to come down. They're gonna let us know about things like, you know, drink specials and things like that that are gonna be going on during our show. Come down, make some best you know, if you if we get some folks out there, you know, I'll hang around. I'll watch some NFL with you guys. I don't Steve you want to do Steves will head off to.
Speaker 2: The poker room. Yes, yes, you don't have to.
Speaker 4: You don't have to, but i'd be you know if you if you want to come down and have a good time. Uh, you know. Again, they're gonna let us know what kind of specials they're gonna have in the sportsbook. It's a cool place, lots of TVs obviously, put a little bit down on some games and have some fun. So so that's what we're hoping people to do. So again, October the tenth is our first show down there regular time three to five. It'll be on the air and then and then October the twenty fourth, and then November the fourteenth. Those are the three dates we've said so far. We'll do another one in December, one in January, and then we'll be there the Thursday before the super Bowl in February.
Speaker 2: So we're excited about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and if it comes up that, you know, the casino likes what we're doing and they have a good time and they want to throw something a little more, you know, you know what at us, we'll do more shows over there on Thursday.
Speaker 2: This is you know.
Speaker 4: I mean I can't obviously can't be on the show every day anything like that anymore. But you know, the Thursday here and the Thursday there. I think I can work that into my calendar. But I'm looking forward to it. See, it's gonna be fun. I think they got a great setup.
Speaker 2: More importantly, how's the real world out there?
Speaker 4: It's hard. It's hard having to get up, shower shade, put on pants and work shirt and you know, nice shirt and be gone all day. Yeah, this is much like work. I haven't done this in twenty years.
Speaker 2: As my dad would tell me, no one promised you a Rose Garden.
Speaker 4: Son exactly, and it's not. It's great work. You know the people I'm working with, it's a company called the Caliber Group, local PR firm. They've been here for a lot of years. I've known them for a long time. They have the U of A, they have the U of A account and some mother prominent accounts here in town. I worked on some stuff for some quarters this week, so you know, it's been fun. It's been hiring.
Speaker 5: Today.
Speaker 4: I didn't have any work to do today, so I've just been pretty much home all day and kind of looking around like do I need to be somewhere, you know, But it's great, it's been fun. I'm joined the work.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well thanks Jay, I hope all right? Your hope two of your picture bad?
Speaker 5: You which one?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well yeah, I do know which one?
Speaker 4: All right? Well, I will get the I'll get the graphic up. I've already done here, so I'll get it up here in a couple of minutes. And those who want to partake on in those picks, you know, you and I are hot. We hit We hit uh nine out of ten games last week, so you know on a roll what week we played well? Okay, sure, and one more shout out to the Natal League. What's the Vision Champion? In Los Angeles? Dodgers plinch last night.
Speaker 2: I thought we got rid of the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: I geared up yesterday. I had a Dodger T shirt on, some Dodgers short my wife put on her Dodgers rookie Bets shirt. We went out and got some d came back and watched the game, and watched the Dodgers play.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go. Okay, well, good luck. We'll talk to you next week or so.
Speaker 4: Right, guys, all right, have a great weekend.
Speaker 2: Just in time, we got to go, right, how much time we have? Seconds? We gotta go, We gotta go.