Speaker 1: What's up, everyone, and welcome back to the program. One of the key factors that has been under discussion in the investigation into the Moscow murders and Brian Coohberger has been the gag order. It has been challenged not only by Kaylee Gonsalvez family's lawyer, Shannon Gray, but it has also been challenged by the media, and it's now working its way through the Supreme Court, and it's been rather contentious. Some of the filings that have been put on the court docket by both sides have been rather condescending, and especially coming from the State of Idaho and especially Brian Coohberger's defense team, which absolutely ripped Shannon Gray apart in these filings, basically saying he doesn't know what he's talking about. And it's always interesting to get a glimpse behind the scenes to what's going on in a case like this when there's a gag order, because we have no idea, right it's not like one of these cases where we're getting daily reports from the prosecution or the defense. Nobody's holding press conferences anymore. So the best way to follow along with all of this is to follow along with the court filings and see what they have to say, and so far it's been relatively contentious when it comes to this gag order, and I can understand why. I think there's a legitimate argument to be made on both sides. I think that the First Amendment is something that should always be protected and something that should never be stepped on. But at the same time, I realize that Brian Colberger, he deserves a fair trial. He certainly deserves a fair shake, and he deserves to have a jury that is impartial. And even with that impartial jury, I don't think it'll matter because the evidence certainly is lining up against Brian Colberger. So today we're going to dive into an article from Newsweek and we're gonna get a quick update on some of the key develops mints from the past few days. So let's dive into this article and let's see what author Kalida Rockman has for US headline Brian Coberger gag order and other key developments from the investigation. Defense attorneys for Brian Colberger, the man accused of murdering for University of Idaho students, asked the Idaho Supreme Court this week to keep a gag order in place and They also argued during those court filings that the Supreme Court was not the proper forum to even chase this rid of mandamus. They're saying that they should have tried to pursue this at the magistrate court level, and they just bunny hopped all of that and went directly to the Supreme Court looking for redress. And that's not the proper forum, according to the State of Idaho and to Brian Cohberger's attorneys. Coburger, twenty eight, is accused of breaking into a rental home near the university campus in Moscow and fatally stabbing Kaylee Gunsalves, Madison Mogan, Xana Kernodle, and Ethan Chapin in the early hours of November thirteenth, of twenty twenty two. Colberger is charged with four counts of first degree murder and one count of felony burglary. He has yet to enter a plea to the charges, but a lawyer who previously represented him said he was eager to be exonerated. And you notice, it's funny, we haven't heard anything from Labar since the expanded gag order. Right, seems like Labar was on the circuit talking about Brian Colberger all the time, and then that expanded gag order comes down and we hear nada coming out of Labar. Prosecutors have not yet revealed if they intend to seek the death penalty, and a preliminary hearing is scheduled for late June. Now we're gonna learn a lot more at that preliminary hearing, but we're not gonna get all of the information that some people think going to get. Instead, the hearing's going to be exactly what it says. It's going to be a preliminary hearing, gonna get some of the groundwork put in place, probably get a few more court dates locked in, and just basically setting the tone for what's to come. And we all know that this is going to be a lengthy trial, a lengthy process, and I wouldn't be shocked to even see it start next year. A lot of times when you have these high profile cases, that's what you'll see. And as far as looking for the death penalty, I definitely think that the prosecution is going to attempt to attain a death penalty conviction here. I mean, if you have the death penalty on the books and you don't go after it in a quadruple murder, then when the hell are you going to use it? You might as well just take it off the books and be done with it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: If you're not going to try a guy like this who allegedly murdered four people in their beds, then I have no idea when this rule would apply, because it seems to me that if you're ever going to you use the death penalty, now would be the time. Here, Newsweek rounds up the latest developments. Defense attorneys set a challenge to the order filed by the Associated Press and dozens of other news organizations is premature. What the media really seeks here is a procedural victory, knowing full well it cannot win on the merits of any test given the pervasive and grow tesquely twisted nature of media coverage that has occurred thus far. Jay Weston Lodgson with the Cootney County Public Defender's Office wrote in the court document, and what they're trying to do is sow the seeds right, so the seeds for later on so they can appeal. Oh, there was an extreme prejudice against Brian Kolberger. He didn't get a fair shake. The media grotesquely covered the case, YadA, YadA, YadA. Meanwhile, it's the same thing the media does with every single high profile case. Look what happened with Alec Murda. He got a fair trial, Right. They were able to find some jurors that were impartial in his case.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So you mean to tell me you don't think they're going to be able to do the same for Brian Coberger. Of course they are. But what his legal team's going to say, and they're setting the tone for that right now, is that there's no way in hell that the jury pool that's selected is not going to be tainted. And that's just bs. While it's certainly a concern that you don't find jurors who are already swayed one way or the other, I think that when all is said and done, they'll be able to find impartial jurs and I think Brian Coberger's legal team knows that as well. But they're going to set the tone and they're going to try and set the table for later on during the appeal process. He did not cite any examples of what he believes to be twisted coverage. In January, Leyta County Magistrate Judge Meghan Marshall issued the sweeping gag order, bringing attorneys, law enforcement agencies, and others associated with the case from talking or writing about it. She later broadened it to also prohibit any attorneys representing survivors, witnesses, or the victims' family members from talking or writing about the case. Now, I know there was some talk about the family members not being able to speak with the media, but when you read the gag order and what Judge Marshall said, it seems that the only people who are really restricted by that gag order are the lawyers for the family members, And in the court filings that we've looked at, Judge Marshall has made a point of saying that that it's not the family members who are hit with the gag order, it's just the people who are directly involved, meaning lawyers and agents of the court.
Speaker 2: So that might work to the court's.
Speaker 1: Benefit in front of the Supreme Court as they're looking at what's going on here with that gag order, and it's going to be their job to walk that fine line between what's constitutional and what's not. The coalition of news organizations contends the order violates the right to free speech Coburger's representatives contend the order essentially requires the attorneys involved in the case to act ethically to ensure Coberger gets a fair trial. And again, that's another shot over the bow at Shannon Gray. And he's been a target of not only Brian Coberger's defense, but the state of Idaho. He's really rankled them from the very beginning. And the Gonsalvez family is not the favored people of the prosecutors of this case. We know that they've had a contentious relationship from the very beginning and that continues on with these court filings. You might not see it on TV, but when you read through the filings, you see just how contentious it is. Details of the item seized in the search more court documents were unsealed this week, revealing the item sees from Coburger's family home following his arrest there on the side number thirtieth. The document stated that a knife, a Smith and Weston pocket knife, and a Block twenty two handgun with three empty magazines were found at the home. A cell phone, an acer laptop, black gloves, blackface masks, a black hat, and several articles of dark colored clothing were also seized. Along with a book with underlining on page one eighteen. Now that's interesting. What book did they take and what was the underlining on page one eighteen That could provide a significant amount of evidence for the prosecutors, or on the flip side, it could mean nothing at all. We just don't know, But usually when they're seizing something like that with a search warrant. There's a reason why. Police also searched Coburger's honde a Lantra, the garage and a shed on the property. They took a door panel, seat cushions, headrests, a seat belt, a visor, and breaking gas pedals from the car, as well as hike boots, a shovel, goggles and other items. And up until this search warrant was executed, the other search warrants were pretty underwhelming as far as evidence that was recovered. Now we don't know what sort of DNA testing was done on that evidence, but as far as just the on the face look at it, it really wasn't much here. However, this is a treasure trove, an absolute treasure trove of evidence, and the fact that they took over sixty items tells you that there's a lot there.
Speaker 2: Coburger worked as a fish cutter.
Speaker 1: This week, it emerged that Coburger once had a job where he was taught to cut and filet fish. Charles Conklin, the owner of Big Brown Fish and pay Lakes in Effort, Pennsylvania, said Coburger was a teenager when he worked for him for four months in twenty eleven. Conkland noted that Coburger never got profision at his job and that he struggled to interact with customers. And that's something we've heard about Brian Coburger time and time again. He's had a problem socially. Wasn't really somebody who fit in and had a problem trying to make new friends and fit into groups. He wasn't able to make eye contact with customers and be friendly to them. And he never got good enough for us to allow him to fillate customers fish, Conklin said on News Nation. And he only worked there for three weeks, right, wasn't like he was there for a whole bunch of time and was some sort of long term employee. But it was like a little summer job. Go down to the lake. You could help the people with their fishing poles. All of that jazz and Brian Coberger and his anti social demeanor just wasn't cut out for it. And you see later on in life, even though Brian Koberger faked the funk pretty well throughout the years, at least while he was getting his masters and going after his education. But when you're disturbed like this, like the government says he is, you can only keep those demons at bay for so long before the mask eventually cracks and your true faith is revealed. All right, folks, that's gonna do it for this one. All of the information that goes with the episode can be found in the description box Judy, what's up everyone, and welcome back to the program. Judge Marshall up in Idaho decided to expand the gag order after there were some leaks or potential leaks regarding what was going on in the case, at least as far as some of the ties that Coburger might have had to some of the roommates, meaning Instagram ties, and then to hear about the mad Greek. Well, Judge Marshall, in response to that it would seem, expanded her gag order and made it covered not only the people that are working on the case, but the families and any lawyers that might be hired by the families. Well, now the national media and the local media is pushing back and saying that they are opposed to this gag order and they think that it is restrictive and that the public is entitled to know how everything is operating and to make sure that things are operating correctly.
Speaker 2: So there certainly is a fine line to walk.
Speaker 1: As far as what the public is entitled to and what needs to be kept secret or sealed so that the integrity of the case is not put into jeopardy. And that's going to be up to the judge to figure out. But with the media here getting together, it's going to make things a little more difficult for Judge Marshall to get these gag orders just slammed through. So let's dive into this article from the AP and let's see what Rebecca Boone, the author, has to say. Headline news outlets joined to oppose gag order in Idaho stabbing. Twenty two regional and national news organizations have formed a coalition to ask a judge to narrow a gag order in the Caseainst, a man accused of killing for University of Idaho students. So they're not asking for the gag order to be done away with. They want her to narrow it though. They don't want it to be something that is so far reaching and so broad. Meaning the media obviously they want the information, and what they'll say is, well, we want to make sure that the public's informed. And while that is the case, let's not forget that they want to make sure they're driving those clicks as well. Right, The coalition, which includes the Associated Press contends the press access to law enforcement officers and other officials involved in high stakes criminal cases provides the public with important context and a better understanding of how the criminal justice system operates. And I am on board with that because it's true, right we as the people, should have an idea about what's going on inside of those courtrooms, and a lot of these judges, unfortunately, run those courtrooms like this. They were modern day robber barons and those courtrooms are their fiefdoms. So it is important that the media has access to what's going on in most cases. But here we have to understand that there are some things that are a bit fragile, some things that have to be protected. And when you're talking about trying to make sure that it's a fair trial for the accused. I think it's very important that all steps are taken so that occurs. Even when it's somebody that we believe is guilty or somebody that you know is guilty, they are still afforded the same rights. And if they can't get a fair trial because of too much media attention, well that's not how it's supposed to work. So I understand completely what the judge wants to do. But at the same time, I'm big on transparency, and I think that everything that can be released should be released now. If you want to redact some of it, fine, but there should be no slow walking court documents, none of that stuff. Anything that should be public should be put into the public domain.
Speaker 2: Right away the second it's filed.
Speaker 1: Brian Koberger, twenty eight, is charged with four counts of first degree murder and burglary in connection with the stabbing deaths in Moscow, Idaho. Prosecutors have yet to reveal if they intend to seek the death penalty. Well, that'll come at the preliminary hearing, or at the very least we'll get more of an idea of what the game plan is going to be for the prosecution and for the defense because as of now, remember the only sort of hearing we've really had is for them to ask for a continuance. Basically, I want to wave my right to a speedy trial, and I want to get a pause put in here so I have some time. But besides that, we haven't heard anything at open court yet. The order is unnecessarily sweeping and broad and severely impedes the public's understanding of a significant criminal investigation that profoundly impacted the commune unity, said Josh Hofner, national news director for the Associated Press. And look, I agree one hundred percent. It is important that there is some transparency, and it's important that the.
Speaker 2: Media is able to tell the story.
Speaker 1: The problem is a lot of people in the media are scummy, and people don't trust what they have to say anyway. The bodies of Madison Mogan, Kelly Gonsavaz, Xanikernodle, and Ethan Chapin were found on November thirteenth, twenty twenty two, at a rental home across the street from the University of Idaho campus. The slayings shocked the rural Idaho community and neighboring Pullman, Washington, I think the whole entire country, honestly, where Coberger was a graduate student study in criminology at Washington State University. The case garnered widespread publicity, and earlier this month, Leta County Magistrate Judge Megan Marshall issued a gag order barring attorney's, law enforcement agencies and others associated with the case from talking about it. On Thursday, she broadened that gag order also prohibiting any attorneys representing survivors, witnesses, or the victim's family members from talking or writing about the case. So this is why the media obviously reacted the way they did, and to me, this signals that the people's story was correct and true. Now do I know that for sure, folks, I do not, and I won't sit here and blow smoke up your ass and act like I know for sure. But when you look at the whole entire thing and you look at it as a complete meal, it's rather obvious what's going on here. There is a balance between protecting the right to a fair trial for all parties involved and the right to free expression, as afforded under both the United States and Idaho Constitution, Marshall wrote in the amended Order, to preserve the right to a fair trial, some curtailment of the dissemination of information in this case is necessary and authorized under the law. Dan Shelley, the president of the Radio Television Digital News Association, said there are other ways to ensure a fair trial. The National Association is a member of the Coalition. So look, obviously the media has their own motivations here, but their motivations do dovetail with what the people should be able to see and hear. Now again, if there's stuff that should be sealed, then keep it sealed. But I'm not too much of a fan of an overall sweeping gag order such as this, to be honest with you, And we didn't even see a gag order like this, hell a gag order at all in the Glenn Maxwell trial. And you want to talk about infamy, We're talking about a trial that was just insane. It spanned continents, people were interested all over the world, and Judge Nathan didn't use a gag order at all in that case. Courts across this country are frequently able, even in the highest of high profile cases, to find ways to balance defendants rights with the rights of the public to have vital information, there is no reason why this court can't do the same, Shelley said. The media coalition includes several news outlets based nationally and in the Pacific Northwest, including The Seattle Times, The New York Times, The Idaho Statesman, Boise dev KHQ and Spokane, Washington, and KTVB and Boise, Idaho. The coalition is expected to file court documents opposing the gag order in the coming days.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know how successful it's going to be, but it's certainly something that.
Speaker 2: The media has to do.
Speaker 1: If they feel like it's being restrictive and they can't tell the story, well, they're going to file and try and get the gag order removed. As far as it being successful, that's anyone's guests.
Speaker 2: Ready to want.
Speaker 1: The case drew worldwide attention, particularly from people who style themselves as sloths on social media sites. In the weeks before Coburger's arrest, some of those sleuths publicize their own theories about the slayings online. The theories often wrongly place the blame on the victim, surviving friends, relatives, or others. News organizations interviews with investigators often work to quash some of those rumors and counter misinformation spread online. And there's no doubt that if you want to combat misinformation, you got to be transparent. I've said this since the very beginning. The more secretive you are, the more room and air you're going to give for weird ass conspiracy theories to breathe. And that's just how it works when there's a lack of information, where when there's a lack of official information, people are going to make shit up. How many people have main character syndrome out there, where they think that they're the main character in every single story, even the ones that don't involve them. Such publicity often presents a conundrum for judges who work to protect the defendant's right to a fair trial. Courts sometimes feel that controlling the flow of information around a criminal case by forbidding those involved from talking about it is an effective way to limit publicity and help protect that fair trial right, but gag orders can infringe on the First Amendment rights of the public and of the people involved in the case. News organizations that cover the courts serve as a watchdog role, keeping the public informed about how the judicial branch operates, and they're not wrong about that. The whole entire idea and the whole entire premise behind the fourth estate, meaning the media is so that they can hold people in power to account. Now, they haven't really lived up to their obligations lately, let's be real, but there's no doubt that they should be holding people in power to account. Conversations with the officials involved in criminal cases helps journalists understand the nuances of legal arguments and the technical steps of court proceedings so their coverage can be fair and thorough, said Media Coalition member and Idaho Press Club Betsy Russell.
Speaker 2: Look, I agree with that.
Speaker 1: I want to be as open and fair here on the podcast as possible. Whatever evidence that's out there, I want to put into the catalog so you have access to it. Whether it be evidence that shows that the prosecution's case is weak or that the prosecution's case is a slam dunk. Either way, it's going to be added to the catalog here, and personally I feel like the more context the better. But at the same time, I definitely understand at the very least a basic gag order in this case, because, like we've said before, you don't want to give this guy a chance to have some technicalities or a loophole later on down the road after a conviction, and we see Glenn Maxwell trying to maneuver to get the same thing, so well, I'd be very aware of that if I was the prosecution, and I think that they are. We're not lawyers for the most part, nor are our readers, and those explanations can help make sure that inaccurate information isn't spread about what's happening in our halls of justice, Russell said. And look, I'm certainly no lawyer, folks, and we'll muddle our way through it all together. But the goal is to make sure that everybody is kept up to date on what exactly is going on in this case, and that's why we do the court filings as well without any commentary. For those of you who just want to follow along with the official story and don't want to hear my fat yap run, you can go check out those court files. The US Supreme Court has found that gag orders do infringe on the public's right to know what is going on in the nation's courtrooms, but the High Court has also said that some gag orders are permissible as long as they are the least restrictive way to ensure a fair trial and are narrowly tailored to achieve their aim.
Speaker 2: Now, is this gag order narrowly tailored? I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's going to be up to the courts to decide. I guess now that it's been brought up by the Coalition. The first gag order issued by Marshall on January third, did not include any stated reason for why she felt the gag order was needed. It prohibited the parties in the criminal case, including investigators, law enforcement personnel, attorneys, and agents of the prosecuting attorney or defense attorney, from making any statements outside of court other than directly quoting actual court records filed in the case. So they're trying to make it stringent, right, no information coming out of that courtroom whatsoever. Accept what's in those court files. And that's why it's going to be so important that they allow cameras and journalists into this courtroom and the public, honestly, because if they're going to be this stringent with information, it is very, very very important that we're getting good journalistic work out of that courtroom. Notably, both the prosecution and defense attorneys had filed the document roughly two hours earlier, saying they agreed to the creation of a gag order and wanted it to include investigators and law enforcement. So both sides agree, right, they don't want any information coming out. They want to control what comes out. They want to make sure that the narrative is whatever they craft it to be. But that certainly comes with pitfalls, because if you're not having any information out there, people are going to make up things, and there's going to be crazy ass conspiracy theories. Mark my words, this court has both a constitutional duty and inherent authority to minimize the effects of prejudicial pre trial publicity and to ensure the administration of justice. Coberger's defense attorney and Taylor and Leyta County prosecutor Bill Thompson wrote in Thursday's amended gag order expanded the prohibition, adding any attorneys representing witnesses, victims, or victims family members to the list, and also added Labar. Remember, so I don't think we'll be hearing much from Labar anymore either. Like I stated earlier, the amended order also prohibits any statement that is not a direct quote from court. Documents and specifically calls out a number of specifically prohibited types of statements, including any opinion as to the merits of the case or the claims or defense of a party, and any statements about evidence regarding the occurrences or transactions involved in the case. Coburger is scheduled for a five day preliminary hearing starting June twenty six. All right, folks, well there it is. You have the media coming together now and challenging this gag order.
Speaker 2: What do you think.
Speaker 1: Do you think the media will be successful in getting this gag order lifted or getting it to decrease a bit, or do you think the gag order will remain in place. If you'd like to contact me, you can do that at Bobby Kapucci at ProtonMail dot com. That's bo Bby c ap u Cci at proton mail dot com. You can also find me on Twitter at bo bby underscore c ap u Cci. The link that I discussed can be found in the description.
Speaker 2: Box my brether in law.
Speaker 1: What's up everyone, and welcome back to the program. One of the key factors that has been under discussion in the investigation into the Moscow murders and Brian Kohberger has been the gag order. It has been challenged not only by Kaylee Gonsalvez family's lawyer, Shannon Gray, but it has also been challenged by the media, and it's now working its way through the Supreme Court, and it's been rather contentious. Some of the filings that have been put on the court docket by both sides have been rather condescending, and especially coming from the State of Idaho and especially Brian Kolberger's defense team, which absolutely rip Shannon Gray apart in these filings, basically saying he doesn't know what he's talking about. And it's always interesting to get a glimpse behind the scenes to what's going on in a case like this when there's a gag order, because we have no idea, right it's not like one of these cases where we're getting daily reports from the prosecution or the defense. Nobody's holding press conferences anymore. So the best way to follow along with all of this is to follow along with the court filings and see what they have to say. And so far it's been relatively contentious when it comes to this gag order, and I can understand why. I think there's a legitimate argument to be made on both sides. I think that the First Amendment is something that should always be protected and something that should never be stepped on. But at the same time, I realized that Brian Coolberger, he deserves a fair trial. He certainly deserves a fair shake, and he deserves to have a jury that is impartial. And even with that impartial jury, I don't think it'll matter because the evidence certainly is lining up against Brian Colberger. So today we're going to dive into an article from Newsweek, and we're going to get a quick update on some of the key developments from the past few days. So let's dive into this article and let's see what author Kalida Rockman has for US headline Brian Coohberger gag order and other key developments from the investigation. Defense attorneys for Brian Colberger, the man accused of murdering for University of Idaho students, asked the Idaho Supreme Court this week to keep a gag order in place, and they also argued during those court filings that the Supreme Court was not the proper forum to even chase this rid of mandamus. They're saying that they should have tried to pursue this at the magistrate court level, and they just bunny hopped all of that and went directly to the Supreme Court looking for a redress. And that's not the proper forum, according to the State of Idaho and to Brian Cohberger's attorneys. Coburger, twenty eight, is accused of breaking into a rental home near the university campus in Moscow and fatally stabbing Kaylee Gonsalves, Madison Mogan, Xana Kernodle, and Ethan Chapin in the early hours of November thirteenth, of twenty twenty two. Coburger is charged with four counts of first degree murder and one count of felony burglary. He has yet to enter a plea to the charges, but a lawyer who previously represented him said he was eager to be exonerated. And you notice, it's funny, we haven't heard anything from Labar since the expanded gag order, right. It seems like Lebar was on the circuit talking about Brian Koberger all the time, and then that expanded gag order comes down and we hear nada coming out of Lebar. Prosecutors have not yet revealed. If they intend to seek the death penalty, and a preliminary hearing is scheduled for late June, now we're gonna learn a lot more at that preliminary hearing, but we're not gonna get all of the information that some people think we're going to get. Instead, the hearing's going to be exactly what it says. It's going to be a preliminary hearing, gonna get some of the groundwork put in place, probably get a few more court dates locked in, and just basically setting the tone for what's to come. And we all know that this is going to be a lengthy trial, a lengthy process, and I wouldn't be shocked to even see it start next year. A lot of times when you have these high profile cases, that's what you'll see. And as far as looking for the death penalty, I definitely think that the prosecutor is going to attempt to attain a death penalty conviction here. I mean, if you have the death penalty on the books and you don't go after it in a quadruple murder, then when the hell are you going to use it? You might as well just take it off the books and be done with it right. If you're not going to try a guy like this who allegedly murdered four people in their beds, then I have no idea when this rule would apply, because it seems to me that if you're ever going to use the death penalty, now would be the time. Here Newsweek rounds up the latest developments. Defense attorneys set a challenge to the order filed by the Associated Press and dozens of other news organizations is premature. What the media really seeks here is a procedural victory, knowing full well it cannot win on the merits of any test given the pervasive and grotesquely twisted nature of media coverage that has occurred thus far. Jay Weston Lodgson with a cootney can any public defender's office wrote in the court document. And what they're trying to do is sow the seeds right, so the seeds for later on so they can appeal. Oh, there was an extreme prejudice against Brian Coolberger. He didn't get a fair shake. The media grotesquely covered the case, YadA, YadA, YadA. Meanwhile, it's the same thing the media does with every single high profile case. Look what happened with Alec Murda, he got a fair trial.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: They were able to find some jurors that were impartial in his case, right, So you mean to tell me you don't think they're going to be able to do the same for Brian Cooberger.
Speaker 2: Of course they are.
Speaker 1: But what his legal team's going to say, and they're setting the tone for that right now, is that there's no way in hell that the jury pool that's selected is not going to be tainted. And that's just bs. While it's certainly a concern that you don't find jurors who are already you know, swayed one way or the other, I think that when all is said and done, they'll be able to find impartial jurors. And I think Brian Kolberger's legal team knows that as well. But they're going to set the tone and they're going to try and set the table for later on during the appeal process. He did not cite any examples of what he believes to be twisted coverage. In January, Leita County Magistrate Judge Megan Marshall issued the sweeping gag order bringing attorneys, law enforcement agencies, and others associated with the case from talking or writing about it. She later broadened it to also prohibit any attorneys representing survivors, witnesses, or the victims' family members from talking or writing about the case.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I know there was some talk about the family members not being able to speak with the media, but when you read the gag order and what Judge Marshall said, it seems that the only people who were really restricted by that gag order are the lawyers for the family members, and in the court filings that we've looked at, Judge Marshall has made a point of saying that that it's not the family members who are hit with a gag order, it's just the people who are directly involved, meaning lawyers and agents of the court. So that might work to the court's benefit in front of the Supreme Court as they're looking at what's going on here with that gag order, and it's going to be their job to walk that fine line between what's constitutional and what's not. The Coalition of news organizations contends the order violates the right to free speech. Coburger's representatives contend the order essentially requires the attorneys involved in the case to act ethically to ensure Coburger gets a fair trial, and again that's another shot over the bow at Shannon Gray. And he's been a target of not only Brian Coberger's defense, but the state of Idaho. He's really rankled them from the very beginning. And the Gonsalvez family is not the favored people of the prosecutor of this case. We know that they've had a contentious relationship from the very beginning and that continues on with these court filings. You might not see it on TV, but when you read through the filings, you see just how contentious it is. Details of the item seized in the search more court documents were unsealed this week, revealing the item sees from Coberger's family home following his arrest there on December thirtieth. The document stated that a knife, a smith and Weston pocket knife, and a Block twenty two handgun with three empty magazines were found at the home. A cell phone, an acer laptop, black gloves, blackface masks, a black hat, and several articles of dark colored clothing were also seized, along with a book with underlining on page one eighteen. Now that's interesting. What book did they take and what was the underlining on page one eighteen. That could provide a significant amount of evidence for the prosecutors, or on the flip side, it could mean nothing at all. We just don't know, but usually when they're seizing something like that with a search warrant, there's a reason why. Police also searched Coburger's honde a Lantra, the garage, and a shed on the property. They took a door panel, seat cushions, headrests, a seat belt, a visor, and breaking gas pedals from the car, as well as hiking boots, a shovel, goggles and other items. And up until this search warrant was executed, the other search warrants were pretty underwhelming as far as evidence that was recovered. Now we don't know what sort of DNA testing was done on that evidence, but as far as just the on the face look at it, it really wasn't much here. However, this is a treasure trove, an absolute treasure trove of evidence, and the fact that they took over sixty items tells you that there's a lot there. Coburger worked as a fish cutter. This week, it emerged that Coburger once had a job where he was taught to cut and file at Fish. Charles Conklin, the owner of Big Brown Fish and pay Lakes in Effort, Pennsylvania, said Coburger was a teenager when he worked for him for four months in twenty eleven. Conkland noted that Coburger never got profision at his job and that he struggled to interact with customers. And that's something we've heard about Brian Colberger time and time again. He's had a problem socially. Wasn't really somebody who fit in and had a problem trying to make new friends and fit into groups. He wasn't able to make eye contact with customers and be friendly to them, and he never got good enough for us to allow him to filly customers fish, Conkland said on News Nation. And he only worked there for three weeks, right, wasn't like he was there for a whole bunch of time and was some sort of long term employee.
Speaker 2: But it was like a little summer job, go down to the lake.
Speaker 1: You could help the people with their fishing poles, all of that jazz, and Brian Coberger and his antisocial demeanor just wasn't cut out for it. And you see later on in life, even though Brian Coberger faked the funk pretty well throughout the years, at least while he was getting his masters and going after his education. But when you're disturbed like this, like the government says he is, you can only keep those demons at bay for so long before the mask eventually cracks and your true faith is revealed. All Right, folks, that's gonna do it for this one. All of the information that goes with the episode can be found in the description box.
Speaker 2: Judy