Speaker 1: It's incredible to think that when we bear a child, their whole world lays in our hands. How they're raised, what lessons we teach them, and the values we pass along are all up to us as parents. Sometimes, though we hold much more than just these virtuous things. Sometimes their life literally is held in our grasp, and if we let go, death may rear its ugly grim gaze.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben and I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast. The following podcast and.
Speaker 1: Material intended for a mature audience.
Speaker 2: Listener discretions.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the podcast. We hope everyone had a merry Christmas, Happy holidays. Are you just looking at me like I was expecting you to talk?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, I was waiting for you to finish. Good God, this is a good intro.
Speaker 1: Hey, I thought you were going to say something and add on.
Speaker 2: Well, I know, but I thought you were still wishing everyone out whatever.
Speaker 1: No, I thought you might jump in and say something to me.
Speaker 2: Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy days. Off. We hope everyone enjoyed themselves.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, we're also over here, just like a little hammered on the mosas just.
Speaker 1: Oh, we're not, We're not, We're not.
Speaker 2: I'm only on momosa number what two that I've been milking this mimosa all day.
Speaker 1: That mimosa is going on like hour three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's actually been bothering Ben so much.
Speaker 1: Because it was not like room temperature in flat it is. That's disgusting.
Speaker 2: It tastes fine, though, that is waste it. I've just been kind of busy. And then I was up in the loft and I didn't take it up there, and and yeah, I was sitting on the counter and I'm surprised you actually just didn't finish it because you kept bitching about why it was still there.
Speaker 1: I was tempted, but then I realized at this point it's probably just going to be nastiness, so I avoided it.
Speaker 2: It tastes quite good.
Speaker 1: I know. I have a feeling that is going to taste like the next day's like, let's.
Speaker 2: Just not because ACCOUNT still trying to enjoy this. I think everyone Ben ruins this, like you ruin so many things right before we're about to eat or enjoy anything. You're just like compare it to the most nastiest ship. And then I have to try to enjoy it if it looks like vomit.
Speaker 1: Also, it looks like.
Speaker 3: Vomit, I'm sorry you very much, so do Yeah, I'm okay, my bad.
Speaker 2: So this episode seems like it might need a trigger warning.
Speaker 1: Eh, it definitely.
Speaker 2: Does anyone that has an infant of sorts.
Speaker 1: So yeah, trigger warning. This handles in the death of a child and it also deals with severe mental issues with depression and suicidal thoughts.
Speaker 2: Oh, which is sad because this time of year, it's like that's so prominent.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I will put a helpline in the description of this podcast as well. If you think that you might be having these sort of thoughts, please seek help. There is a link down below where you can find help. I mean, please please take advantage of that. So, yes, there's a lot of people out there who actually help us on a weekly basis, and that is people over.
Speaker 2: On Patreon, right, And we got a few of them sign up over the holidays, didn't we.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did. So those people over there are always supporting us. Not that you guys here aren't, trust me. We seriously appreciate that too. They get that little bit of extra content over there. They're supporting us over there. They get even a whole episode at the end of the month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's coming up. Lots of times we'll do pre shows before each episode and it's just kind of a bit more behind the scenes of what's going on with us or with the podcast or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've done trivia giveaways on there, you name it. So it's a great place to be. And the people we had signed up this week we have Kim Kirsten Newman, Magnolia Henson, Stephanie and Stephanie Marino.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: So thank you very much for signing up over on Patreon. We appreciate, we appreciate, we appreciate that support.
Speaker 2: We absolutely do.
Speaker 1: And if you want to go sign up, a Patreon link is below. But if not, like I've already said before, we appreciate you just being here. Regardless of thank you too.
Speaker 2: I just kicked your play soccer ball accidentally, way to go. I was playing with it.
Speaker 1: She's sleeping, she didn't notice. It's all good.
Speaker 2: She got spoiled rotten that dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she did. Definitely.
Speaker 2: My gosh, she actually plays with the toys that we give her though, so it's kind of nice. Most dogs it just sits in a bin.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think like she's got some at the bottom of her bin that aren't getting used. I think we should probably donate them to the SPCE.
Speaker 2: We should, yeah, give them to the dog that would like some new toys.
Speaker 1: Okay, you ready to dive into this case.
Speaker 2: I just had a slurp of mymosa, so I'm ready good before we do that, I do hope everyone had a very good, happy holiday, Merry Christmas, like we already said at the beginning, right right.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just want to again.
Speaker 2: I was just watching you because okay, I'm sorry, but two times in a row it's a you, it's me.
Speaker 1: It's amaz.
Speaker 2: Because it almost sounds like you have more to say, and then you just abruptly stop and stare at me like I'm just fucking to be saying something.
Speaker 1: I did it on purpose that time.
Speaker 2: Good glored. Okay, let's go.
Speaker 1: Here, all right? Okay, So our case starts off in July fifth of twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, that's newish.
Speaker 1: That's like almost ten years ago.
Speaker 2: You know what isn't it's only twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: But in like a few days it's going to be twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: But still, that makes them like seven years old or eight years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's coming on a decade.
Speaker 2: Fine.
Speaker 1: So the summer heat was beginning to roll through Portland, Oregon, with temperatures reaching as high as thirty six degrees celsius or ninety six point eight degrees fahrenheit. It was on this muggy evening that a twenty two year old man by the name of Tony Moreno was out for a stroll with his seven month old son, Aiden Moreno. In the stroller, Tony was pushing his son along the sidewalk on their way to the destination. The wheels would clunk every time they passed along the seam of the concrete. Clunk, clunk, clunk as I walked along. Their destination was Aragoni Bridge, named after the state legislator Charles J. Aragoni. The bridge runs perpendicular to the Connecticut River and connects Middletown to Portland. Bridge is a view of the cities and the rushing river one hundred feet below. Once they arrived on the bridge, Tony stopped pushing the stroller. He took on the view from the city as he stood there, and then he took out his cell phone. He began to dial in number and waited for his mom to pick up on the other end. The conversation wasn't long. He needed her to do him a favor. As they spoke, his son was heard crying briefly in the background before he asked her to come to the bridge and pick up his cell phone and the stroller he was pushing, and then before much more it could be said, he hung up the phone right after saying sorry, just tell everyone, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that is a call you never want to receive.
Speaker 1: No, So the mom, needless to say, was on edge here.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine your son just being like, yeah, pick up my stroller and cell phone here, and I'm sorry. Tell everyone, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I know, because at that point it's just it's I'm not going to say too late, but it's like it says she, if you're not right with the person, like, what are you supposed to do?
Speaker 1: Really? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Well, after he ended the call with his mother, he then began texting with an individual named Adrianne Loyola Okay. Now, Adrian was the mother of their son, Aidan Okay. The two met when Adrian was thirteen years old and Tony was seventeen.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's some age difference for that age.
Speaker 1: Well, and then they began dating when she was sixteen and he was twenty. Now, there is an obvious age difference here, and adrian was clearly underage. Yea, okay, but I'm not going to dive too much into that for this episode. But yeah, that on its own kind of creepy, let's put it that way. Anyways. Regardless, the two ended up living together during the relationship end when she was pregnant. Now, during her pregnant see, however, things changed a bit in their relationship. Tony began showing signs of depression, he was struggling, and apparently even began to get a bit aggressive in the relationship, uttering threats and those sort of things. All in all, we do know what their relationship was on the rocks. Then Adrianne did what needed to be done.
Speaker 2: She broke up with Tony Okay, while she was still pregnant. I'm assuming I.
Speaker 1: Couldn't find if it was while she was still pregnant or after she had their kid. Okay, all I know is that it was kind of around that same sort of time. I'm thinking it was prior to when she was still pregnant. Kind of how the timeline plays out here.
Speaker 2: You're super young, really.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, she was still in high school.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, so she because she would have been pregnant like seventeen or something. I'm assuming here.
Speaker 1: Yep. So Now, reportedly Tony actually tried to rekindle things and proposed to her the night of her high school prom even.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay, but she said no hmmm.
Speaker 1: And then she apparently almost missed her high school graduation because Tony stole her dress and shoes.
Speaker 2: Oh seriously, yes, well that's not the way to win someone back.
Speaker 1: Definitely not. No. Now, these stories, though, they do not have a lot of information around surrounding them, so I can't talk a whole lot on it, unfortunately. But what we do know is they were struggling to the point that Adrian actually feared she and their son Aiden were unsafe.
Speaker 2: Oh really, hey, yes, so it's kind of something that he might be struggle with for longer.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's a high potential of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, like it was an ongoing battle probably, yeah for him.
Speaker 1: It seems that way. Now, with this case, there isn't a whole lot of information prior to the night of the incident. I'll say that only what is kind of said through statements afterwards. That's all we really know. Okay, there's a lot of guesswork in the prior build up to this. I'm not touching on any of that guesswork. I'm mostly just going on all the facts that we know through individuals who are involved. But we can't dive deeper into it because it's just guesswork. Right. So, regardless of she felt unsafe, so she filed for a temporary restraining order in June of twenty fifteen. Now, this restraining order would only last two weeks as she and Tony worked out a custody agreement to try and co parent their son together, which I absolutely love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's super good.
Speaker 1: I do understand there's exceptions to every rule. Okay, I'll just say that right now.
Speaker 2: There is. Oh yeah, would there could be a reason why one of them couldn't have the child in their custody.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, So there are exceptions to every rule. However, nine times out of ten, I do think that parents need to try and work together for the benefit of their child. I think that it's probably the most beneficial thing you can do it's probably probably going to be a worse off situation if you avoid that. Yeah, unless the extenuating circumstances.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I'm kind of thinking that in this situation, it might not have been for the best.
Speaker 3: You're probably thinking, right, Okay, Okay, it was only actually a few days after that agreement though, that that not being for the best would happen. Gosh, because it was only a few days after that agreement that Tony took his son Aiden for that stroll to Aragony Bridge. Now, this bridge, I haven't mentioned this yet, but we kind of already know where it's going. But Aragony Bridge is a bridge that has a reputation for being the place where people go to commit suicide.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we've been to Portland. Yes, I feel like so many of these cases we haven't actually ever ventured too. But I wonder if we would have seen this bridge.
Speaker 1: Ah, there's a potential because when we drove through it was it was the evening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like we probably would have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we left, we got there in the evening, We left in the evening, so I can't recall seeing specific bridges. I do know you passed over bridges, Yeah, it's all or can recall.
Speaker 2: I'd have to kind of go back on like Google maps and stuff and.
Speaker 1: Look so out on this bridge. While standing there, Tony would text Adrian and she would text back, and they would have this exchange, and the messages went kind of like this, well, not kind of like this exactly, They went like this. Now. There could be some messages in between that weren't brought up, but these are the ones that I found. Tony would say, you won't talk to me tomorrow or any other day. Enjoy your new life without us now, Adrian, Tony, I'm trying to make this co parenting thing work. You're sick, not a parent anymore. Their conversation kind of went back and forth for a bit. When Adrian asked where he and their son were, Tony responded by saying, he's dead. Oh, and soon I will be too. Oh no, Adrian responded by, you couldn't kill your own son. Please don't hurt aiden, please.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, that's brutal. That's so brutal.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine getting that text?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, oh, my heart's just like sinking.
Speaker 1: Right, He's dead and soon I will be too. Yikes, I cannot imagine what would be going through a mother's head receiving a text regarding their son like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a mother let alone anyone? Really? Yeah? Wow?
Speaker 1: Okay, so that is heavy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like she'd be freaking the fuck out.
Speaker 1: Oh, one hundred percent, yeah and totally understandable. She immediately contacted authorities, and authorities made their way to the scene as quickly as possible.
Speaker 2: And do they know where they were going? Did? He didn't say where they were to her though, right.
Speaker 1: I assume he would have yes, because she called authorities and let them know.
Speaker 2: Okay, dang.
Speaker 1: So it was there on the bridge they found an empty stroller and Tony clinging to the edge of the bridge.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay.
Speaker 1: Tony's mother was also present, as she had showed up just before the police, and there she was pleading with him to move towards her and away from the edge, but he said he couldn't.
Speaker 2: So he okay, I have questions here, but maybe I just need to let you keep going.
Speaker 1: What do you got for questions?
Speaker 2: So he didn't jump off the bridge, Like, what do you mean clinging?
Speaker 1: He's standing on there, holding to the handrail, still looking over the handrail into the river.
Speaker 2: And there's no baby to be found.
Speaker 1: There is no baby to be found right now.
Speaker 2: But the baby was there when they got to the bridge.
Speaker 1: Yes, the mother heard the baby crying on the b in the background phone call.
Speaker 2: Okay, you good, Yeah, Well, I don't know. Actually, this is not good. This is not good. I'm okay, of course. So the baby's in the river. The baby's in the fucking river.
Speaker 1: You think I don't know?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go here. We need answers. This is brutal.
Speaker 1: Well. Middletown police officer Austin Smith also tried to talk to Tony, but was unsuccessful talking him down.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Instead, Tony put both his hands on the railing and hurled himself over, dropping into the water below, almost one hundred.
Speaker 2: Feet below, with his freaking mom and stuff right there.
Speaker 1: Correct. Wow, his mother watched him jump off the bridge.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh my goodness, this is really really, really heavy.
Speaker 1: Other officers on scene were down below and quickly found Tony treading water after he impacted on the surface survived.
Speaker 2: Because that's not likely, right, The odds are that you wouldn't correct.
Speaker 1: The odds are you wouldn't though on this bridge. There are others who have reportedly survived as well. I mean a hundred feet that's a long ways. But in the grand scheme of things, that's survivable for sure.
Speaker 2: It is. Yeah, but I mean you'd have to you wouldn't be prepared necessarily to land the right way, and you'd have to land the right way to survive that.
Speaker 1: Yes, you would. So he must have lucked out fluke. Yeah, if you end up landing the right way feet first or something to minimize your impact, then then yeah, it's survivable for sure.
Speaker 2: But if you landed like a belly flop, you're done.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I just realized it sound like the kool aid Man when I said, oh, yeah, which ye. Sorry anyways, Uh, he actually has a mugshot after this where yeah, he's got major black eyes, like his eyes.
Speaker 2: So like the fact that he didn't die is pretty lucky.
Speaker 1: Yes, And officers were unseen there, so they managed to pull him out rather quickly. And they immediately.
Speaker 2: Where's the baby and where's the freaking baby?
Speaker 1: It's the first thing they asked. They immediately asked where is the baby.
Speaker 2: Like praying to freaking God that like this baby actually is somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and one of the officers recalls actually being like inches from his face, like screaming at him multiple times, where is the baby? Like where is he? But Tony didn't respond, Oh my god. He just sat there, looked up at the officers and was silent, and there was no sign of seven month old little aidd Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just like, maybe there's a possibility that he's somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Well, he was found two days later, and he would be found by kayakers in the water we'll fall fourteen miles downstream of the bridge.
Speaker 2: Seriously, Yes, so this guy actually threw his fucking seven month old baby off the bridge, Like you're not kidding that, Like this is that's like what happened.
Speaker 1: I all I can say right now is his baby went over the bridge.
Speaker 2: Yes, wow, Okay.
Speaker 1: So Aiden's autopsy revealed several things, one of which was a large skull fracture that was approximately four inches long.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And the second was foaming at the mouth and nose, which was consistent with drowning.
Speaker 2: Oh I I'll just wait.
Speaker 1: His estimated death showed that it was the same day he went missing. In his autopsy, he had died two days prior, which was when.
Speaker 2: He went missing, and so like if he throw him off this bridge, which it's seeming like he did, Like the baby didn't actually die from the impact, that he died from drowning.
Speaker 1: Would have died from drowning, it seems as far as the autopsy goes. Yes. However, would he have survived the impact if he didn't drowned? That is another question on its own. Wow, so the cause of death was drowning.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm kind of almost speechless here.
Speaker 1: It's brutal, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, there's so much that I want to say, but the fact that, like the dad had a mental health like serious mental health issue. You know, it's hard to even say anything in regards to that.
Speaker 1: It is, but like it is you have to like mental health or not. Though this is a sick thing.
Speaker 2: To do, Like that's your kid, and like if you're not of sound mind, like you need to say, like I can't take the kid right now?
Speaker 1: Yeap. So it was clear, of course, we've already talked about it that young Aiden went over the edge of the bridge into the water, and wow, he did not survive. However, there are two very different stories that came came out during his trial.
Speaker 2: I have another question I'm acology, okay, go ahead, Like this is actually really hard to grasp, right, So I like my brain is I might just have more We're just gonna have to deal with, okay. So if the Kayakers that they find this baby just like floating in the water, or was it like on the bank? Do we know this?
Speaker 1: I don't know. All I know is from the reports that came forward, Kayakers found Aiden.
Speaker 2: Probably I'm assuming the on the bank actually because it was two days later and not that far of a distance.
Speaker 1: But it all depends on the flow of the river though too right, how fast it's flowing, or if it got fourteen miles so it's seven miles a day. Like, it's hard to say. So there's a lot of variables within that, and variables that were not answered in any sort of report or article that I was able to find. Okay, So in the court proceedings, like I said, there are two different stories. Now, it was mentioned in court that Tony while being evaluated in the hospital by a psychiatrists and the psychiatrist was Samira Solomon, that Tony was saying he had thought about killing himself but did not want to leave his son be raised by his ex girlfriend's family.
Speaker 2: Okay, so.
Speaker 1: She told the jury that Tony was quote ambivalent about being alive and had recent thoughts and intent to kill his.
Speaker 2: Son because if he wasn't there, he didn't want anyone else raising this baby.
Speaker 1: Basically, essentially, I guess, yeah, pretty well. Now in another interview, she said, I recall the patient being adamant about his intention to be dead before he was a rested, and she also added that Tony wanted to commit suicide, but quote was afraid of his son living in his current life situation, so he wanted to kill himself and his son. Now, another interview with a completely different individual, mind you, went a little bit like this. It was Officer Lee Buller who was on the scene for his rescue and also talked about things Tony mentioned while in hospital. Apparently he had explained that and this is a quote from Officer Lee Buller. He said he knew what he needed to do, and when he asked to clarify what needed to do was yeah. Tony's response was that, quote, he needed to kill his son and then kill himself, and the reason for killing his son was so that he wouldn't have to have been raised by his ex girlfriend's family.
Speaker 2: I mean, because he's so mentally stable that he's like justifying this in his mind. Yeah, which is wow.
Speaker 1: Now, in another interview regarding while Tony was in the hospital, detective Dane Semper said that Tony directly admitted to killing his son. Quote. I asked him directly if he dropped Aiden from the bridge. He nodded yes.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And this quote from the detective Dane Semper was actually allowed to be used as evidence in court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: So this was the story that prosecutors would be pursuing a sick individual. Whether you want to look however, you want to look at the word sick, because he was clinically ill, he had mental disabilities or mental issues whatever.
Speaker 2: But he also did a very sick discussion.
Speaker 1: He did act he very much so did so a sick individual who threw their son over the bridge and then jumped in a suicide attempt to end their own life in retaliation after Adrian broke off the relationship. They even had the text messages between Tony and Adrian to help paint this picture. You know, right, you won't talk to me tomorrow or any other day. Enjoy your new life without us.
Speaker 2: And the mom's phone call. I imagined she would have kind of shared that a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And of course the biggest one of all he's dead and soon I will be too.
Speaker 2: Yep. So you know, you know, it's almost a wonder if he did actually text her once he'd already like thrown this little baby off the bridge. Hey, Like, was he actually dead when he was messaging with her.
Speaker 1: There's a possibility of that, definitely. Now I'm going to get touch on this here a little bit about in a little bit, because Tony claims otherwise. No, story is a bit different. He claimed he did not murder his son. He did say it was an accident. It's important to note that Tony was willing to plead guilty to any other charge other than murder, and was actually offered a fifty year plea if he pled guilty, So fifty years in jail if he pled guilty. He refused. Okay, So his defense attorney addressed the court and said this, we want the jury to know, mister Moreno accepts criminal responsibility for his son's death. He was alone with his son when his son went into the water. Mister Moreno accepts responsibility for his son's death, but in his view it was not murder. Sorry.
Speaker 2: Was the fifty years like a plea bargain? Yes, Oh my gosh, that's so long though. Hey, that is so it doesn't seem like a plea bargain.
Speaker 1: That was the plea bargain. So if he accepts murder charges, if he pleads guilty to murder, it would only be fifty years. Okay, but he refused me because it was.
Speaker 2: Gosh, that's some serious neglect then, because I can't imagine how you would accidentally throw your child over a bridge.
Speaker 1: Well, while taking a stand, Tony said he was walking along the Aragony Bridge between Middleton and Portland. There he was spending time with his son and was pointing out landmarks, which included the movie theater that they could view where he and Adrian had shared their first kiss.
Speaker 2: Okay, but the kid is only seven months old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 2: A sorry, maybe you would still be pointing out landmarks.
Speaker 1: I mean, of course you would be, right.
Speaker 2: I guess you would be.
Speaker 1: You talk to your child, no matter how old they are, if they understand or not.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, that's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially when it's come to the mother and father having a rocky relationship. He might be wanting to rekindle things or something, and he's reminiscing and trying to share these important things with his son, and hey, that's where mom and I had our first kiss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'd probably do that to Ripley.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It may not be fair to the dog. It may not be something that's important to their son Aiden, but it might be something that's important to Tony to him.
Speaker 2: No, that's fair. I get that.
Speaker 1: So, while in court, defense attorney Norman A. Pattis asked Tony, quote, did you intend to kill your son Aiden Moreno on July fifth, twenty fifteen, and Tony answered no. So the attorney asked what happened, to which Tony replied, I dropped him.
Speaker 2: I dropped him.
Speaker 1: I dropped him.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now that is also important if you talk about that piece of evidence that Detective Dane Semper was talking about, because he asked if he dropped Aiden, and he said yes. Drop dropped does not mean on purpose.
Speaker 2: Drop does not necessarily mean like I threw him over the bridge.
Speaker 1: Correct, Okay, So regarding the text he sent Adrian, Tony testified that their son was still alive, during those texts. So it's kind of angry texts sort of situation, right, which I mean, people can definitely get that way. I don't understand it. But people do say things that they don't mean in the heat of the moment.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely they do. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So when he was asked to reenact what happened that night for the jury in the courtroom, he was provided with a doll in a mock up section of the bridge railing. There. Tony demonstrated in the court how he was standing with the son in his arms. And there's actually pictures of this you can find online in of him holding this doll on this mock up in the courtroom.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I thought even on the bridge, because I was like, there's got to be people have been driving by witnessing this.
Speaker 1: No, there's a mock up in the courtroom with like the railing and everything, and he's provided with a doll, so he's holding it in the courtroom acting it out, reenacting the situation. And while he's doing this, he said, I picked him up out of the stroller and I was just walking back and forth talking to him. And at this point, defense attorney Pattis asked Tony if while leaning on the railing with Aiden essentially perched on the edge, did he lose grip or control of his son? Tony was a wreck and was unable to collect himself to answer the question in court.
Speaker 2: Holy, that's brutal to be having this baby anywhere near the railing, Like what is he doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, we've seen situations similar to this live TV, the Michael Jackson incident for example.
Speaker 2: Right, I can't recall what the fuck that incident is.
Speaker 1: Jackson was in a hotel or something like that. Oh, I think it was somewhere in Europe. It's coming back to me, and yeah, he held his son basically over the ledge or for media and stuff. But it looked very, very scary.
Speaker 2: Like in the moment. I guess people, I mean, you never really think that anything bad's going to necessarily happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you generally don't a.
Speaker 2: Lot of times when disasters happen, you're like, oh, I didn't see that coming.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean I have a safety professional. I talk to people all the time who have accidents, like, yeah, I just it was a dumb thing. I can't like I shouldn't have done that, of course. Yeah, hindsight is twenty twenty. You never absolutely, like you said, you never think you're gonna get hurt.
Speaker 2: No, So.
Speaker 1: Defense attorney Pattis would also ask a very important question for the defense to the individual who performed the autopsy. He asked if they found any sign that Aiden had a condition called mile clonus, which causes muscle spasms. Oh, however, it was said that there was no evidence of that condition, but it may not be evident upon post mortem examination.
Speaker 2: So almost like Aiden, I don't know. I mean, kids that age I think are really like wiggly, right, Yeah, so it's almost kind of saying that he like wiggled out of his dad's arms in a sense.
Speaker 1: Essentially, Yes, if you're looking at that specific statement or question towards the autopsy individual, he could be hensing that there's a condition where he causes almost seizure, like I guess spasms, which would probably add to the risk of an individual being dropped.
Speaker 2: I do think that would be known though, that some a family member or the mom would be able to kind of identify that. But I'm just saying, Okay, well, I don't think the kid had that, but like there maybe he like wiggled like he did, not wiggled a lot or I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent. There's whether you have this condition and as a factor not, it's a possibility. Still if you have that situation where you are dangling your kid essentially.
Speaker 2: Over the edge, Gosh, that just makes me want to that's just so cringe like so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's brutal.
Speaker 2: The visuals of that is just horrific.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Tony's defense essentially talking that one way or another, he accidentally dropped his son over the edge and already having his suicidal tendencies, now having his son gone, I mean, I'm pretty sure that would be the icing on the cake for himself. Yeah, but the prosecution said that he willingly threw his son overboard before committing attempting to commit to take his own life.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean the evidence is kind of there to show that as well.
Speaker 1: Yep, very strong evidence, if I may say.
Speaker 2: The text to the mother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the admissions in the hot bit to three different individuals, Yeah, about taking his son's life. I guess to the one detective he did say dropped. He didn't specifically say, but regardless. It was in February of twenty seventeen, Tony Moreno, regarding the death of his son Aiden, would be found guilty, okay. Judge Alpedo Vital sentenced him to sixty years for murder, as well as ten years for the risk of injury to a minor. The sentencing will be served consecutively, which means Tony has seventy years without parole.
Speaker 2: Like kill, I'm assuming that he will not ever get out. Ye, he's in his twenties right and then yeah.
Speaker 1: So at the sentencing, Judge Vital said this, not only did you violate and intentionally kill your seven month old son, but you taunt his mother as you commit the act with text messages that were apt described as quote demonic, just so you could add to her unfathomable grief.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Outside of the courtroom after the sentencing, Adrian Oyola, who is Aidan's mother, read the following statement to reporters.
Speaker 2: Oh Man already arriving here.
Speaker 1: I would like to thank Judge my tale for the maximum sentence in this case, and now Aidan can rest in peace knowing that justice was served. I feel bad for Denise Manero, Tony's mother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she did the.
Speaker 1: Best she could with her son. It's not her fault. My prayers are with her. I would like to thank the Middletown Police Department, State's Attorney, the police, the first responders in everyone who searched and rescued for my son, and the victims Advocate especially. Please continue to respect my privacy while I continue to mourn my son, and please keep Aiden in your prayers and thoughts.
Speaker 2: Wow, the fact that she even acknowledged his mom really like shows something about her.
Speaker 1: I feel like it really does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like that was that was not something I was expecting. Like that statement actually was pretty wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean in the sense both those mothers just lost their sons, right.
Speaker 2: Oh so yeah, she's almost able to grasp potentially what you know, she's kind of going through too. Oh this is so hard because the fact that he had like a mental illness. But oh my gosh, what he has put the mother through and this poor child who was seven months old just not like doesn't have a life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now there is one more thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know if we can take anymore here.
Speaker 1: I went back and forth a lot on whether or not I was going to add this last piece to the end. Oh, because if I do that means I'm letting Tony have the final words, okay, And while I don't want that to happen, I also think that it's a very important lesson to be learned here.
Speaker 2: With what he says, okay, let's hear it.
Speaker 1: So with that in mind, I'm going to let him have those final words. On Tony's cell phone were some recovered files, things he wanted people to find on his phone after he jumped. For example, Okay, one was a message to Adrian, a message that he ultimately deleted but was recovered, and that message said this, you knew in advance what I planned on doing, and you never tried stopping You never even asked me not to do it, and that hurt me more than you'll ever know. But after everything that happened between us, I guess I deserve that. But just know that at the end of every I waited for you to come and stop me, to come and save me and tell me things would be okay, that you still love me. But that was just hopeful wishing.
Speaker 2: Apparently that's bullshit. Actually the way to just like put even more guilt on there.
Speaker 1: Yes, So it's not that I'm believing his words. If you look at it. Tony did a horrific thing, and for that he should rot.
Speaker 2: Don't get me wrong, but I guess at some point he was calling and he was asking for help.
Speaker 1: He's asking for help, he's reaching out, he's crying for help. That message in itself is a cry for help. So for that, I just want to say, if anyone out there needs help, know that acts like this are never the solution. Now, they are never the way to go. Please seek help. Again. We've put that hotline description of this podcast, seek it out if you need.
Speaker 2: It well, because unless you like black and white, spell it out. I don't think that people necessarily go there to like, oh this is like he's serious, Like this is actually what's going to happen. Yeah, Like I just don't think people fathom that they need to. There's some people that be like, yeah, I need to help, but like they're not gonna unless you really spell it out, realize the extent of it and putting that pressure and even I don't know how to word this, but power to someone else, like it's just not going to save you. You need to do more.
Speaker 1: You do need to do more. And if you do choose a route where you're attempting to take your own life or others around you. There is significant impact on those who are left behind, and it's not a good situation for yourself or anyone. Ask help, reach out. People don't know if you're serious or not. Let them know that you're serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's just human nature. We don't necessarily go to the worst possible outcome.
Speaker 1: We don't. So yeah, so that is today's case.
Speaker 2: Well, because I was just there is even that the like the really recent suicide that's been all over the news and stuff, right, I think it to which is that how you would say his name?
Speaker 1: I don't think I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: So he was Ellen's DJ.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, that guy is That's how.
Speaker 2: You'd say his name. It's like twitch, I think rich t W I T H boss or something. Yeah, so and that like yeah, he had left his wife and I think they had two two or three children behind, right, and left his family behind like yeah, Like I can't imagine how that family is going to heal from that.
Speaker 1: So so work on these things. Ask for help. M M. Yeah. So, like I said, description is down below. Okay, you need help, reach.
Speaker 2: Out and seven months old that is just like such a loss.
Speaker 1: It is, it really is. With that being said, I'm not going to do a plug of all our information. If you want to find it, it's all in the description of the podcast. I really want to highlight that that hotline again. If it's there you need it, please seek that help. Other than that, until next time, stay wicked.