Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty Oh Steve Rivera, you're Jenkins Awest. Now we have Ray with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball, Breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 3: Lovely Friday, Lovely Friday for some breaking news. Obviously. The big one of today is the Wildcats baseball team lost men's baseball Well yes, gently, yeah, sorry, but yeah, there's a Wildcats baseball team. They lost their opener to in the Men's College World Series to Coastal Carolina.
Speaker 4: You know, it was a good game.
Speaker 3: I'm sure we're going to talk about it more after, but it was a great game. Too bad they didn't win, obviously, but I mean they showed a diversity the battle back a couple of times, or they battled back once and then even at the end they had a they had a chance, but Summerhill couldn't couldn't get it.
Speaker 4: It's fair broke his hand, like what a month? And Alfrigo, Yeah, it's been a while. Look there, you know you are where you are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you just got to play the next game, like you said, just go play the next game and see what happens.
Speaker 4: Right, No, and that's that stuff.
Speaker 3: I mean Coastal Carolina who now has twenty four wins, and then you got Oregon State right in the in the same bracket.
Speaker 4: I means, yeah, it's not easy, but I mean.
Speaker 2: What if you're going to be the best, gotta you better play? Yeah, yeah, you're right. Oh man, just lost it.
Speaker 3: Uh we are going to I was gonna talk about the hockey games.
Speaker 2: We still talk about it.
Speaker 4: Five to four, dude, it was a ripper.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, you know what I mean, I'm on Twitter or I think I think I might have taken a nap or something.
Speaker 4: I was doing something and I just like, I.
Speaker 5: Okay, you're like twenty one years old and you're like taking naps and I'm sleepy and I'm tired, and they were you out late.
Speaker 4: No, it's just nice to take that.
Speaker 2: I'm jealous.
Speaker 4: I love taking naps.
Speaker 2: Too, me too. I just don't get to ok.
Speaker 4: Sorryet nighttime, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Okay, I got it all right.
Speaker 3: I had at a time yesterday I was off. But yeah, so Panthers come out score three. Uh, Oilers come back in the second period, tie it up and then yeah, get one more than the third because.
Speaker 2: We've talked about it. That'll remind people, because we've talked about a lot with that little party.
Speaker 4: All right, So that that thirteen dollars ticket.
Speaker 3: Yesterday it was at sixty k because Florida was up and the Pacers were up. But since Edmonton tied it up yesterday, it's back up to one oh seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're catching that ticket. I am one you guys are catching that ticket sixty yesterday. Yeah, I'm one hundred percent cashing that ticket.
Speaker 3: I would have casted like because it was at one twenty three, I think, yeah, when it was like Edmonton had just won in the finals, had and started yeh, I'm.
Speaker 5: Pretty certain I would feel like throwing up watching these games.
Speaker 4: So what's the total to something to seventy? And all you need is win to win and okay, see to win.
Speaker 2: And okay, see to win one six man, I'm taking it. Yeah that I mean, I'm taking it too. I wouldn't want to, but I.
Speaker 5: Well, then again, if you think about it, you're you're gonna get half that yeah, because attack.
Speaker 2: Yeah seventy maybe right. Well, look I don't know what the Edmonton situation. I'm still okay. See, I think that they're gonna pull this off. So that's my my How can my risk my risk without knowing about Edmonton? Yeah, but you know one O seven pay thirteen bucks for this.
Speaker 4: Let's just do just just take it and be happy with it.
Speaker 2: Come on, you know, and I know you're great for a ten dollars winter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, lose my mind, you know. I mean I I was happy that I cashed a ticket in the Belmont, even.
Speaker 4: Though I lost money on it.
Speaker 2: You got some back, right, he had got some back. Well, you have to try, except that if half pay for it, right, and that's what it was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, so no you Yeah, I'm I'm pretty sure I would be cashing the ticket.
Speaker 2: There's no as much as I would say, I'm catching it too.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, as soon as that. I mean, man probably would have won like the.
Speaker 2: First if I catch it at sixty, I'm thinking, damn, they should have waited another day. Yeah, but now you know, I'm gonna I'm not gonna worry about it either way. I'm not gonna second guess my money pick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I mean, then you can actually enjoy it too.
Speaker 3: That that was one thing that I kind of made me like disillusion myself with betting because I used to like doing it as well. It's just like, man, you just like you can't even just you can't even just watch a game anymore.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, yeah.
Speaker 5: So that's what I'm saying. I feel like throwing up watching these games. I'm like, I got a barf. I can't do this. My stomach is just can't take this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean, I don't know, that's just.
Speaker 2: How it goes. We got a conference Switzerland.
Speaker 4: I hope it's still free, all right, keeping it going though.
Speaker 3: The Pacers on the other side of that ticket as well, actually played tonight at five thirty. That's going to be Game four. Looking to OKAC wins by ten or more. What's this spread? Like six five and a half, five and a.
Speaker 2: Half, I would take it plus plus what I would take it because if they don't win this game, they're toasted.
Speaker 5: I had I had the over in the game the other night to twenty six?
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 4: It was to twenty six? I just missed.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, what what? What? What did it finish? Two twenty three? And the thing is it was a it was a.
Speaker 5: Good bet, as my son said, it was a good bet until it wasn't because they were going to cover that all night long. And then last five minutes of the game, Oklahoma City made one basket, one field goal in the last five like.
Speaker 2: Five fifty three sis. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And and because I I really wasn't dug in watch I had it on.
Speaker 4: I was doing some other stuff.
Speaker 5: I was messing around on my phone, and I'm because I thought I had it won all along, all right, and then I look up and there's a minute six left and they need ten points to cover that.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I'm done. Yeah, and they did and they didn't cover it.
Speaker 2: Well, we came in here. You may not have done that show that day because I bet okay Se to win straight up, you know, with or whatever, and they didn't. And yes, who screws me? The Arizona guys. I'm happy for them, of course, because they played so well, unbelievably well.
Speaker 4: Mathin was just incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I mean, it's been a fun series to keep up with it. It has been, and like it's I mean, I think it's great.
Speaker 3: It's that getting it's almost to that dead zone for like sports just for the summer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, we need this.
Speaker 5: I at first, I was a little bummed that it was that there was two days between every game.
Speaker 4: But it's extending some stuff.
Speaker 5: And as soon as as soon as the NHL and these playoffs are over, it's all baseball all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, And I'm going to take a long vacation because they can't get guests.
Speaker 4: Moving to baseball now. Man Diamondbacks pictures.
Speaker 3: Huh the closer Justin Martinez had a u c L spring and is out for the season.
Speaker 2: Trying back to curse. How long before the manager gets canned?
Speaker 4: How about?
Speaker 5: How about the how about the the Brewers picture? They were going to send him to a bullpen and he demanded a trade, so they traded him to the to the White Sox to uh, people, couldn't couldn't post be careful what you asked for? Fast enough to you know, for that to somebody in the army. I want to get out and they send you to where where they.
Speaker 2: Send you to?
Speaker 4: Something cool?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 5: But yeah, he said, I want to trade. Okay, here you go. You're going to the White Sox.
Speaker 2: You'll never win again.
Speaker 4: Well, at least they didn't send him to the Rockies. You know, yeah second second worst thing though, for sure. Yeah, but keeping it going. Uh, Diamondbacks.
Speaker 3: They do start a series against the Padres this week third, this weekend.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, it's gonna be a good one.
Speaker 3: They're five hundred, trying to keep up with the NL West, who.
Speaker 2: Is five hundred. Uh, the fourth place, the Padre third, and your Giants or two two and one.
Speaker 4: They lost. They lost.
Speaker 5: The Dodgers just beat the Padres two out of three. They thought they were all that. And Rods kind of always do. I lost that bet to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just where we had lunch yesterday.
Speaker 5: We went to Oh, we gotta go see that's what I bring it up to call me and Friday.
Speaker 2: Let's go see his name. We'll do it because you do. It was good, right, Yeah, it was. They got good food there.
Speaker 4: It was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll probably go check it out or something eventually. Anyways, this is what I'm ready to talk about. Giants and Dodgers are playing today. It's it's not gonna decide, but you know, it'll put whoever wins it in the lead.
Speaker 5: These series are fun, Yeah, they're fun.
Speaker 2: L A l A what you guys, I'm being flipped on this and trying to be funny but serious. What's the over under on on somebody getting killed in that parking lot? Because it always happens with you guys playing.
Speaker 3: I know, the Giants fans are always doing stuff like one city is not burning and it's not San Francisco.
Speaker 4: That was you know what that was uncalled for? That was but uncalled for.
Speaker 2: It's completely uncalled Yeah, I mean it's this week.
Speaker 5: Well, young motor thrown tonight, so it should be uh, you know, to two good pictures both under three e rs and so we'll, you know, we'll see what they do. But it should be a fun game. Logan Web for the Giants seven to ten. I'm looking forward to this too. I mean, you know, I'll probably have you know, I'll probably have the basketball game on my iPads and there on the coach, but the baseball game is it's going to be on on the big screen.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 3: Caitlyn Clark is set to return for YE from a quad strain against the Liberty.
Speaker 2: Eran McDonald's still in the roster, right, she's still gonna.
Speaker 4: Or did they keep her on?
Speaker 2: Think so?
Speaker 5: Because then she come in because you know she's played well, right, you've seen some highlights and stuff.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty to choose at that game.
Speaker 2: Do you have anything softball wise? Something came up that I was surprised Texas so, uh the Tennessee coach. The Tennessee coach came out today and I guess maybe late tod uh talked about, Uh, she's losing a lot of players. So she lost one to to Texas Tech. Of course Texas Tech is coming up with some fantastic go ahead, they're going to be finished.
Speaker 4: What did he say?
Speaker 2: She said? She said, I don't mind it, but it's she it's tampering. They've been talking to my players for a while. Oh like you never had, and that's that's kind of that mean the retort, I'm sure, so you know, I don't mind the woman making money, but don't tamper with She shut the hell up.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, what's the difference between that and like if the Tennessee the tennis the Tennessee quarterback when Dan Lanny was like, hey, trying to talk to us early, you know what I mean, it's a different.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the whole thing, these nil deals and there's nothing's going to change, Nothing's going to change. It's just kind of different different ways.
Speaker 4: I mean, did you say that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 5: Somebody reported that Texas Tech is saying that on top of it that they're going to be paying twenty five million dollars revenue sharing in additions of it, twenty million dollars in the revenue sharing, and in addition to that, they said they've got thirty five million dollars to spend on nil for everyone. For the fifty five million dollars. How where where is that coming from? Steve Oil oil or something.
Speaker 2: My thing with you guys, who are you know, diehard Arizona fans or whatever?
Speaker 6: How can you compete you? How can you compete with that? Build some houses in love so solve issues right right? So I get it, I get it, But that's not what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: No to me. We talked about this one of earlier segments. Arizona is here and I can't be described on the but it's in the middle of the past, and it's gonna be that way because it's not what there's no money here.
Speaker 5: What's what's what's going on in Texas Tech is an outlier. Here's the funny story. Where's a funny story. So this breakfast club that I work with, right, a bunch old guys, people with money, right, and I've told you that there, I think I've told you in the past. There's a guy in there, uh played football at Oklahoma, so he's a big Oklahoma booster.
Speaker 4: He's always talking about Oklahoma and this Oklahoma that.
Speaker 5: And he comes to me complaining about the fact that Texas Tech paid a million dollars to the to that they that shouldn't be allowed to be happening.
Speaker 2: Whoa whoa whoah did you whoa?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I'm like stop.
Speaker 5: I said, Oklahoma is buying championships, they don't win one, and now you're upset that Texas Tech he said, I bid you. And he said, well, that's different because we're giving money to more people. We're not giving money a million dollars to one player.
Speaker 2: You mean to tell me that if they didn't have a chance to pay him one point one million, if they.
Speaker 5: Would have brought her, if they could have outbid Texas Tech for where they would have said. No, you guys are giving half a million dollars to twenty players, and you know, stop, I don't even want to hear you complaining about the fact that Oklahoma softball is getting out spent by somebody else.
Speaker 2: You know what you're telling me, that's a rich people problem. That would they say, the first world problem. Break caviar. Hell, give me some water.
Speaker 8: Give me I don't I don't want my caviar tastes like crap. Caviar is good stuff I never had. Dude, it's crazy anyway, I had to have that. That's because it's true.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, so good. I mean, we're running up on time, so take that.
Speaker 2: Cool. Cool. We'll get a hold of Greg Hanson on the other side and talk about baseball and other things. Did you know?
Speaker 9: Collecting cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and.
Speaker 2: Trading card games.
Speaker 10: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trush Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 11: The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Derondi Rocke Materials. I needed the a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorontle Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three to three.
Speaker 12: Richard, butcall law office defending Arizona's for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard riccall five two oh seven to four to H twelve thirteen, broad sponsor of I on the Ball Go Cats.
Speaker 13: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpi Ta dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five to two O six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine four two Equal housing opportunity, Got to commitment to lyndrixyn credit greates and available loan programs or something to change with don't notice?
Speaker 14: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 14: Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson. Are you ready enterprise of Fasca Yuki Tribe?
Speaker 15: Got bugs, termites, fees or rodents? Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Like Arizona, howse Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespaeds or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypast dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 11: Looking for quality windows without the weight, come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of mill guard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom no problem, from new construction to full home replacement. Will help you order the perfect mill guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor. The Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows.
Speaker 2: You need fast.
Speaker 11: Visit the Window Deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill guard Window experts.
Speaker 4: Wise mining so important.
Speaker 16: It's the foundation of everything, that defines the society.
Speaker 4: Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why.
Speaker 16: Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals in process.
Speaker 4: That's fine, fine name is so important.
Speaker 2: Codybybm dot com.
Speaker 12: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier.
Speaker 2: Give them an award they can be proud of.
Speaker 12: They have trophies, blacks, acrylics, art class, fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight Westtrackman Street, across the street from PEMA College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 1: This is i on the ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show Call up Steve now went five to two oh four seventy four forty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to One of the Ball, you know, Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and today Jay Goozalez in entering folds Ray. Now we have former not former, a long time uh sports columns for the Arizona Daily Star, Greg Hanson, Greg, how were.
Speaker 7: You pretty good? Former was the best word to use.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So, well you want to explain, Well, I'm gonna say what one of the one of the only people in around Tucson that's older than us, Steve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we'll take that.
Speaker 7: We'll take no, kiddn't I stopped counting.
Speaker 2: So you've been around and we'll ask I'm gonna go there later in terms of what you've seen in terms of other teams, But what did you think of today?
Speaker 7: You know, it's actually like so many Arizona openers in the College World Series where they either lose or almost lose to not the best team, and yet good things can still happen and did happen so many times through history that I still think they got a shot to win a few, don't you.
Speaker 2: To win a few?
Speaker 5: I don't know if they got you know, with the way the format is. You know, when you you you got to come through double elimination and then win a three games set, that might be hard. But you know, let's say they're playing another team that had to do that too, then it's kind of evens it out.
Speaker 4: But it's gonna it's gonna be tough. But you're you're right.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's baseball, and any and anything can happen.
Speaker 2: Well that said, let me ask both of you guys, and they use this phrase all the time, whether it's the right or not. Are they built for this? What I've seen is kind of it's scary to be built the way they are because they don't score a lot of runs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, they're not a dominant team and never were. But you know, if you look at the history of Arizona the College World Series, that hasn't mattered that much. I mean on their four national championships, they lost the opener in seventy sixth day issue, came back through the losers bracket, won it nineteen eighty. They lost the opener to Saint John's of all people came back and the losers bracket won it. Nineteen eighty six, they fell behind Maine. I don't know if you remember that.
Speaker 2: I don't know nothing.
Speaker 7: And they came back and won and won the whole thing, and and then in twenty twelve they had to go twelve innings to win the opener against Florida State. So, you know, rocky starts haven't meant much as to their best seasons.
Speaker 2: Hell, give them the title.
Speaker 7: Now, yeah, let's have Gil Heredi out there pitching.
Speaker 2: Right, No, exactly to that point. Just those teams, not to say that this team doesn't have talent, but you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Those none of those none of those were dominant teams, right, none of them were. You know, we were talking about Greg the twenty twelve team. There wasn't a superstar on that team. Now, they've got had some guys who've got into the big leagues and stuff like that, but in terms of at that time, there wasn't a single guy on the field on the in the twenty twelve season that you thought that's a superstar.
Speaker 4: He's somewhere, you know, I was, I was.
Speaker 5: I brought up the eighty nine team that had you know, five, five or six major leaguers and didn't get out of the region.
Speaker 7: That was their best team ever, I thought.
Speaker 5: Talent wise, yes, talent wise, yes, there are two.
Speaker 7: Most sounded teams in history didn't even get to the World Series. The eighty nine team with JT. Snow and Trevor Hoffin and those guys. And the seventy four team that went fifty eight and four right and then lost in Northern Colorado and didn't get to the World Series.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I cried that time.
Speaker 2: That's Arizona, man, that's Arizona sports writers, I did.
Speaker 4: I cried.
Speaker 2: I literally cried.
Speaker 5: I couldn't believe that those guys because I went for some reason, I went to a ton of their games that year, and I was like, you said, the best team you've ever seen, Dave Stegman and all those guys, And I remember, I'm not going to say I bobbed like a baby, but I know that I had tears when they got beaked by Northern Colorado that year.
Speaker 7: Jerry Timball told me on more than one occasion that that was the best team he ever coached. That would make sense, and they and they lost in Northern Colorado.
Speaker 5: Northern colorad only lost four times. Yeah, fifteen and four or fifty six and four, something like that.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know, so outside my question was was going to be to you, Greg, And I think you answered the question with that, what's the team that was really good? In surprise he didn't go very far or didn't make it that one. That's probably that one in eighty nine.
Speaker 5: I remember how said I was in eighty nine because I was covering the team, you know, and and the best team that came here and that was in that region was Long Beach State, and then they won the region, and you know, and Ericson and those guys were just sitting sending it home.
Speaker 2: And conversely to that, Greg, what's the team without saying ninety seven, because that's that you thought had no chance and they do what they do.
Speaker 7: In ninety seven. You can't come up with one better than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Out of the nineteen eighty Arizona baseball team, they went twelve and twelve in the pack in the pack off South, and they won the national title. Of course, they had like eight major leaguers on the team, Brad Mills and all those guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's weird, and you were and we were talking about how baseball is just kind of you know, it's baseball because you know, if last last week when Arizona gets beat eighteen to two and then they come back to win the and win the next two, and you know, and it's just it's such a different game when it comes when it comes to that. And like I said, you you do give Arizona a chance in the College World Series just because they're still in it. But you know, again, backs against the wall sort of the sort of thing. But you just feel like Chip Hale is that guy. Yeah, the Chip Hail is that guy that in these situations is when he seems to do his best coaching jobs.
Speaker 7: The only thing that stops me is when I look at the starting pitching, they don't seem to have a guy. Yeah, maybe Cramkowski in two years, because you look like he has all the potential we'll get to the big leagues. But there are other starters don't look like World Series type starters.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no, you're you're right. I mean they're gonna agree with they're gonna throw a freshman on Sunday, right, the true freshman on Sunday. Yeah, you know Smith Bailey, but again, you know, look, Kramkowski doesn't even look like a big leader to me. I mean he's like, you know, what's six two and one hundred and forty pounds or something like that.
Speaker 2: There you go with that looks yeah, you know, you know, this guy doesn't look good and did an he throws hundred and two right by you.
Speaker 7: Compare that to nineteen eighty nine team, maybe the best team they ever had Scott Erickson won eighteen games in the regular season or no of that, right, well, they had guys like they're number one and two.
Speaker 4: There were the majors.
Speaker 7: I know it. I remember walking into the dugout after that game and was just devastating. And I went up to Willie Morales, who was probably the best catcher in the league, and he looked at me and said, don't even think about it. So there was no questions with Willie Morrales.
Speaker 5: That yeah, I mean, you know, look, it's it's it's weird. It's just it's baseball is just just so weird. But look, it's fun. You're here, it is, and I'm just glad they're back Omaha, because I think I think Chip deserved it. I think he's you know, he's been doing a really good job. And I'm not saying I'm not giving it up and saying, you know, just win another game or whatever. But I'm just glad that they got there because one, it was kind of unexpected, they got hot at the end of the year when you know, won the Big Twelve tournament. Uh And and you know, you just love to see a guy like Chip, you know, have that kind of success.
Speaker 7: So that guy's just a bit, isn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, let me ask you because Greg, because Jay brought this up about a story I guess you wrote maybe last weekend or maybe the weekend before about the Big Twelve. Go ahead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you mentioned that you had that, and I sent a note about that. But the Big Twelve is just kind of eh, you know, but I pointed out except for basketball, but it really is. I mean, you know, you don't you don't see anything that makes you jump out and jump up and down about what a great league it is in all sports, but still basketball is really fun.
Speaker 7: It made me really think about the Pac twelve during the year. So, right, maybe Arizona could have been better through the years and as good as they were if the league had been better because they really had to. They really had to, you know, to come alive. Last year was just to hang in there. The league was so good, yeah.
Speaker 2: You're talking about yeah, but then football and the Twelve to me, was just boring.
Speaker 7: There was one team or one star or one coach that would turn your head. I'm just hoping that'll change and maybe we're just not familiar with them yet. But last year I thought it was just blaw Well.
Speaker 5: I'd rather I'd rather stay a little blond until Arizona gets good again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, you know when you see that ASU went and won the dang league, I'm like, Okay, then that means anybody can win it. And and so you know, uh, you know, we we talked about how there's really no dominant you know, football program in the in the Big Twelve, which if you're an Arizona fan, then you're kind of happy about that because you don't you know, we're not.
Speaker 2: Dealing with you a better chance. Yeah, they have a better chance.
Speaker 4: You're right.
Speaker 5: Overall though, when you think of the star power of the league and the teams, they're really you know, aren't any.
Speaker 2: So when you wrote this column, did you talk about all the or think about all the sports in the conference. Oh yeah, so, so which which which sport is has the best chance?
Speaker 7: Well, men's basketball, But as it turns out, the best sport in the league except men's basketball is track and field. We've got nine ranked teams men's and women combined in track and field. Last night I turned on ESPN had the first couple of rounds of the track and field on, and there were there were big twelve people in almost every race, and of course we've never heard of them yet, but even more than the PAC twelve. That's what's doun me was there were a few PAC twelve people in the in the finals and semifinals, but twelve had a lot of people.
Speaker 5: You think that had anything to do with Fred Harvey saying I'm not sticking around.
Speaker 7: For this and yeah, no kid, And that's where do you find track and field athletes? And how do you how do you get them to come to U of a Now? Right, I spend more than ten remember when they were a distance running power. Yeah, I spent more than ten years.
Speaker 2: Now how long has Murray been gone? A boy that time?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, he was the guy who got to go on and then at James Lee brought in Lowly Lalange and those guys who are superstars. But it's really sad to watch that dissolve.
Speaker 2: We talk about Arizona kind of at least I do. They're not the elite schools like the Alabamas, Ohio States, Michigans, blah blah blah, and they've always been in this middle of the middle of the road kind of thing, and maybe a little bit better than the middle of the road. Not with nil and revenue share, nothing's going to chan would you agree?
Speaker 7: How are you gonna climb now?
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly?
Speaker 5: But I would argue they were never going to right if it was just scholarships and stuff. I mean, Arizona is who they are and their place in the pecking order isn't changing at all.
Speaker 2: Without questions, without question.
Speaker 7: You know, in the final lear Field Cup standings over the last twelve years, Arizona's band from like forty to fifty five every year. So it's not like it's anything new.
Speaker 2: So what was the magic? What was the magic when they were in the top twelve many times all the non revenue sports, Well, so what's the what was the magic with that.
Speaker 7: Coach in the nineteen nineties when they're in the top ten about every year they had. They scored a ton of points in softball, swimming, tracking, on the swimming track and field. Remember they were really good at gymnastics on them when Jim gall was a coach, and of course men's basketball. So if you have five good sports, you'd be in the top twenty five in the Lydfield Cup. Arizona doesn't have five good sports anymore.
Speaker 2: That seems so long ago, so long ago.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I remember telling one of my friends who worked in the athletic department when we Arizona kept not going to Rose Bowls. They said, well, we're doing great at the Sears Cup, And I said, you know where you can put the Series Cup.
Speaker 4: Get me a damn Rose Bowl.
Speaker 2: You can put it in. You can put in Series which is no longer here, don't try.
Speaker 7: I notice today is Shoe. I know today is Shoe's been finishing the head of Arizona in the Series Cup. Because they score all these points in hockey and women's golf and sports you never hear of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because they're.
Speaker 7: Not good in basketball and football. Well, I mean one good football here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's my point, that's my point, and.
Speaker 7: They haven't been good in baseball in ten years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this may be a dumb question because you're you're kind of easing your way out, you're still writing for the Star. But aren't you glad? You know I'm kind of headed in that direction as well, that you're not involved on the day to day given all the circumstances with revenue share nil and kind of all the stuff that goes wrong with it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I agree with that. And the other thing was you were surrounded by a journalistic.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, and no that's not the case.
Speaker 7: There's one guy out there, Bruce Pasco, yes, and the rest are just kind of Twitter guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Hey, Greg, here's some news for your breaking news. Phil Mixon just missed the cut. You hate to see.
Speaker 7: It, man. He used to be one of my favorite golfers.
Speaker 2: Was it really?
Speaker 5: He double Bogi's seventeen and then just barely missed a birdie putt on eighteen.
Speaker 4: They would have put him on the cut line.
Speaker 7: Too bad. But remember when he won was free tooths on open? Oh yeah, bigger than ever?
Speaker 2: Yeah he was, Yeah, he was, and he was.
Speaker 7: The person you couldn't imagine what he would turn into it.
Speaker 2: Just a jerk, yep, exactly. Oh, successful sports guys, jerks, I've never heard of that.
Speaker 4: No, what I have.
Speaker 5: I have three letters for you about piel Milk with an L I V. That's it. That's all his whole legacy is. I mean, you know, it was funny because I'm talking about to Addam my Son about this.
Speaker 4: Is that what all these live guys? Who are they?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: You know they come and they play in the majors, but it's kind of like, you know, they're they're just gone.
Speaker 4: You don't hear about them until they come there.
Speaker 5: And I'm like, I hope they're happy with the money, right because you know the Dustin Johnson's and and Bubba Watson's and all those guys.
Speaker 4: You don't even talk about him anymore.
Speaker 2: The money, well there's that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And none of them are on the leaderboard even close in the US Open. Right now?
Speaker 2: Hey, do you like.
Speaker 5: Do you like watching golf on this in this on this golf course, this type of golf course where it just I mean, you want it to be hard, but it seems it's not fun golf to watch me because just too much. They made the golf course so hard that that. Yeah, that's impossible to play.
Speaker 7: I don't know when you watch it when you see Rory matth Roy chopping out of the weeds, Yeah, and you know getting getting a quadruple bogie. I mean what that's not what it should be.
Speaker 2: That's not fun Well let me ask you, so, what would both of you got to shoot?
Speaker 5: Well, that's funny because did you see there was a video somebody asked the golfers, the pro the pros, what would what would an eighteen handicaper shoot? And they were all saying, without being prompted, all of them said between one twenty.
Speaker 2: Because they wouldn't be able to get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they wouldn't be able to get First of all, if they hit a ball in the rough, they wouldn't find it. But if they found it, they wouldn't be able to get it out of there, they said. Jason Day said, you know, one twenty, and then somebody but somebody said I'm I'm gonna go one to fifty and the announce was like come on, he said, no, I'm serious. One hundred and fifty for an eighteen handicapper?
Speaker 2: Yeah, is that what you were?
Speaker 7: And if you only had ten balls you would run out of ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what would you hit? What would you hit? Could you could you shoot?
Speaker 7: I've score at least one twenty to one forty, I'm sure, Wow, I.
Speaker 2: Do that in the nine.
Speaker 5: Oh, Bryson de Shambo said, I don't know, brought a hundred on the front nine.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was struggling.
Speaker 4: He didn't make the cut.
Speaker 2: He's eight over, he's ten over.
Speaker 4: He didn't make the cut.
Speaker 7: He's out, and he was struggling. He had balls in the weeds all day.
Speaker 5: You know. I mean Scotti Sheffer' is far over. Seven strokes off the lead. So what's who's winning? Some guy named minus what is it? Sam Burns is the lead?
Speaker 7: Greig sam Burns?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's he yet? Three hundred three hundred. So there's that. There's still people treating Hey, Greg, we got to go. Thanks for joining us, all right, Yeah, you.
Speaker 7: Have a good time. Guys, have a good summer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go go get yourself a blanket.
Speaker 2: I got one, we need one, all right? Thanks? Take care, Greg. We're going to take a breakthrough. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 17: Arizona Health, Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 18: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 4: Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 18: Edge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 12: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred program to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of Home and auto coverage. Whether it's a thunder bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmond Markets All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Caampbele or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 19: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, we believe less is more. Let's peace, need more money in your pocket, Let's have ale, needs more time for what matters, and less stress means more confident in your financial future. Pyramids a Lessons More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two Sun Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now. Take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from lut It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 17: Craving Tucson's Best Burger. The Fourth Avenue legend is back. Lindy's on four is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio WI. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Ian the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, you're jagins Awas You've got rayed controls. I'm gonna throw something at you. I'm gonna say something editorially, this is the world we live in with Zuckenberg and Elon and all these things that they've created shows like this. So that said, this is from Facebook. This one is on Hail. Hicks was dealing. The hits they got off were with bloopers. He over coached greed.
Speaker 5: No, he brought in the guy who hasn't given and up an earned run April. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that movie. He was trying to keep the damage to one run. Guy put a good swing on a pitch and and made a better play.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 2: So to my point is everybody has everybody's got a platform.
Speaker 5: No, absolutely not. You know, I had no problem with the with the move Chip. If anything, Chip kept him in. Maybe should have start him in the start of the inning. But Hicks walked in, come on, comes on, the throws six pitches, it strikes two guys out. Was fantastic to keep the So then he comes up, he gets the first two guys in the next and then the guy basically hits the ball. I mean, Guerrero once hit a ball that bounced and it looked like that. Yeah, accidental, he just stuck the bat out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh, And and he got it and then it hit on the line.
Speaker 2: Let me let me ask you, both of you guys and anybody you believe in baseball guns?
Speaker 5: No, I just believe that some I believe that anybody can make a play in baseball.
Speaker 2: Anybody. Okay, right, you.
Speaker 5: Know you're nine hitter, because because he's good enough to be in the lineup, Yeah, he can get a base hit. Sure, And that's what that's what I believe in, is that baseball is that kind of a game. Whereas not everybody can hit a three pointer in basketball, not everybody can make the the thirty yard throw threading the needle in football, but there are nine guys in the batting order who can all hit the ball, and if they get the right pitch in the right situation and make the right swing, they can get a base hit.
Speaker 3: And that can happen, you believe, Oh yeah, I do too. I'm a big sports gods guy. I I am too. That not a momentum, but.
Speaker 5: Maybe that maybe that is the sports gods right, that that anybody can do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, Arizona for some reason gets in these situations. Yeah, it happens too often to be ignored. Right now, they have to do what they do right. So they've done a bit for Or and maybe that's what gods the baseball gud said, Okay, here's your other opportunity to do this right.
Speaker 5: And there's but you know, you see the other three teams in their bracket. You've got You've got Coastal, You've got Oregon State, you got Lovo. None of those teams scare you. Arizona can beat those guys, and they can go on streak. I think I think you would have to win four before they get to you in order to win, in order to win the bracket.
Speaker 2: You could see Or was on the winning four straight games to win this bracket, and you can see them and then you can see them losing.
Speaker 4: On Sunday, right right.
Speaker 3: I mean it's like also at that point where it's like, no matter why, you're gonna get a good team, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's what's left.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's all that's left, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And so I think it's I don't know, I think it's gonna be interesting. I don't I don't know who posted that.
Speaker 2: It's it's random, it's on the rackete. But you know, everybody has an opinion about whatever, and some people are green, some people are saying no. You know, there's so many things that could.
Speaker 5: Have There's so many moves you can make in baseball, and everyone has a good chance of being right, and everyone has a good chance of being wrong, and it just some days it swings your way and some days it doesn't.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm.
Speaker 5: Surprised that Pluta gave up that that you know, that double, and everybody was because he'd he'd been so but at some point you had to think that his streak of not giving up a run was probably gonna end.
Speaker 2: It just ended at the worst time. Someone else said on this threat, and I don't remember this, and I watched the game. That Chip could have could have sent two or three players instead of that he held them. I didn't see that. I didn't see that to possibly score.
Speaker 4: In the in the in the top of the ninth, there was.
Speaker 2: No reason to say. There was no reason to say when they had bases loaded that here here's well, here's to me.
Speaker 5: You know, in the end, when they had the bases loaded, I had already scored a run, and there's nobody and they only got one more run. They needed more, right, and we talked about that you needed more there. I mean, yes, you got the two runs, you took the lead, but you could have gotten more and they didn't get more.
Speaker 2: This is a team that always needs more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so there were.
Speaker 5: A lot of places along the way that they could have won, and that won. And last the game, the home run that Mason White hit. I thought that I caught it.
Speaker 2: I yelled, right, I was up the office and I yelled, and people said, what are you doing. You're cheering for the catcher and said, no, it was a great play because I thought he caught it.
Speaker 5: And then and then the double that that the catcher, Yeah, you know hit, I'm like, that should have been a triple. But then that was one of my issues. But then the next guy hits the double.
Speaker 2: Right, he gagged, he lollygagged, did yeah, yeah, that was my only PROBABIL game. Yeah, where he didn't, I don't know what he was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you to your point, so many places along the way you say, if you've done this, if you've done that, you can say.
Speaker 4: That about every game you ever you ever see.
Speaker 2: I wondered, I'm going to get home today. Should I take it this way? Take it that way?
Speaker 4: Well, be fast, you know, listening to the traffic up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so no, I you know, it's a again, somebody had to win, somebody had to lose, and Arizona got the short end of the stick. And so you go on to the next one, and you play the next one and you try and win that, and then if you win that.
Speaker 4: You get to play another one. And that's the way. That's how you do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think there was one time when I was like, and you know, obviously saying this from like like from a place where like I didn't play baseball. I just like, I like aggressive base running, you know what I mean, like plays at the plate.
Speaker 4: Who doesn't want to watch that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there was one time a guy got stopped at third and I was like, oh, maybe could have sentiment on that one.
Speaker 2: But I don't remember.
Speaker 5: I don't remember that any of the another another, okay, another point in the game, when it was four to three, they had a run around third, one out and they played then field back. Okay, right, guy hits a ground ball up the middle to the short stop. Run scores games tied, and you said, well they should have played him up. Well, if they had been playing up the ground ball. The guy hit would have gotten through and would have been a base hit, and instead they got it out. Then they got what they wanted. Then it came out of that inning with the game tiede.
Speaker 2: Right, we could take about one more call, if you'd like to call five tow oh four one six, four forty. You've got about to four minutes again.
Speaker 5: All along the way, you're you're you know, and as Chips, I cand guess himself.
Speaker 4: You always do if you're a coach.
Speaker 2: He even said that. He even said that on the on the post game UH press release press conference. He says, it's too eardy for me to kind of second guess myself. Right, he'll think about that.
Speaker 5: And he will, he'll, you know, he'll think, he'll think, should I have brought Pluta?
Speaker 2: And sure, you know the dude, who's the guy that took the mustache and the he he dealt.
Speaker 5: He was fantastic today. He just got unlucky on that got out. You got unlucky on that one pitch. And then the guy gets the base hit. And then and now you're bringing Pluta in to just try and minimize the damage.
Speaker 2: Then the guy gap so they're down what they're down three and the start the ninth. What do you what do you think and chances wise.
Speaker 5: I thought, if you can get you're at the bottom of the order. If you can get two guys on base and flip the line up, you have a chance. And they did, and then Summer heild into a double play. You know, it was the only thing you couldn't have happened there. Even if he hits into a force play, or if he strikes out or he flies out or whatever, then you got another guy coming up, and hopefully another guy coming up, hen have a chance.
Speaker 2: Well they had that. It was the best situation that they could have asked right to do. The first two dudes up the winning tying run out the plane. I mean I.
Speaker 5: Changed, Yeah, I'm thinking that, you know, with the nine here coming up, and then they pinch hit for him and say just when he didn't do a double play and he struck out, and I was kind of like relieved that he struck out until until until Summer Hill hid into a double play. Yeah, you know, you know, I don't know, it's again, I'm I'm happy that there NLU I'm gonna put my head on the pillow tonight. And they say, I'm happy they're there, and then I'm not playing in the US Open. I know I've already got you know what, I'm just I've got a marry you on my mind. I got a menu on my mind right now. It's not going to be it's not going to be any of those play he says. I mentioned because I had Popeye's earlier. Though I had Popeyees the first night.
Speaker 2: My wife was gone, call from Switzerland.
Speaker 4: He's funding Popeyes over here.
Speaker 2: Man, we need you really good man.
Speaker 4: They got the greatest mashed potatoes.
Speaker 2: So now they had two games to wait. He talked about destructions, family and stuff. That they're having fun.
Speaker 5: They're having fun, you know, you know, they just relax, have a good time, enjoy the moment and then get then get serious on Sunday and come and play.
Speaker 2: And not that they're playing with house money, but you're there. You know, why not why not continue this role? Right? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: No, And that's what I'm saying. I'm like, you know, I mean.
Speaker 5: Was it was this a College World Series team all throughout the season.
Speaker 2: I don't know that we saw good point?
Speaker 4: Was that right?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 2: Good point? But now it is Yeah. Well, the thing is, we had people on last week and I says, did you actually think He says, yeah, at the beginning of the year, this talent could have done it and they didn't midweight and then you think, you know, they're catching fire at we have the last call coming in today. Now, who is this? It's Jim, Jim, what you got? We got about three minutes.
Speaker 20: That's the great thing about baseball.
Speaker 2: You both know, Jay and.
Speaker 20: Steve that the improbable takes center stage. Is baseball more so than any other sport, right.
Speaker 5: That we we we've talked about that a bunch. Is that it's baseball, and that's how baseball is.
Speaker 2: Did you watch a game, jamb.
Speaker 20: And that's that's the sports gods by name is probability.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's crazy what it is.
Speaker 20: That's the science behind it. And if if you really want to look at it in perspective, no one hits five hundred and so every batter is improbable.
Speaker 2: You're right, your success.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, Jim, that was That's the smartest thing I think I've ever heard you say.
Speaker 20: Well, you may have had stuff in your ears a few times too.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying you never saying things smart but that's like really good.
Speaker 2: Send your letters to the chain, not to me.
Speaker 20: You can still call me, all right, you guys, have a great Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
Speaker 2: Take care of your Father's Day. Yeah, we gotta go. It's sorry time fifty four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be a little early, but yeah, okay, it's just a few seconds.
Speaker 4: Man, Okay, come on, go strong I'm playing golf tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Father's Day. Yeah, I'm going to Phoenix watching the Diamondbacks for the first time this week. Yeah, that's two years. This could be one hundred and ten is not hot enough here, so it's only gonna be one o five, one hundred and thirteen one five, one oh five.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna start hydrating as soon as as soon as we leave, I'm gonna sneak on two pools somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yes, smart, smart, Okay, we gotta go. This is strong enough day, Father's Day. Thank you. We'll see you guys Monday,