Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of April twenty first, we're continuing with Lost, season two, episode eighteen, Dave Dave being a friend of Hurlees, but not the friend of Hurlies. I thought it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought it was the guy from the from the whatever. Wow. This was unrelentingly sad. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: It was very sad. Yes, it was. Although I was always happy to see Evan Handler. Hey, Evan Handler. I got yourself a trip to Hawaii.
Speaker 3: Good for you, man, just to be such a bully. And when you you know, you eventually learned that he's a projection of Hurley's imagination. But I mean, when you thought he was a real guy, it was incredibly sad to watch Harley being treated this way. And then when you've found out that he was actually, you know, not real, he was an hallucination, even more sad because that's how Hurley's treating himself. Like, yes, I just wanted to hug him the whole time.
Speaker 1: I know, it was so sad and give him some peanut buttercups. Right, but yeah, just fair, Yeah, yeah, really very much so. And at the end we find out that Libby not so much the professional psychologist, but I mean, I guess maybe she I guess she could have been.
Speaker 3: But she was also a patient at the same facility where Hurley was.
Speaker 1: Right the last minute reveal, if you think it's over and you went to the refrigerator, you've missed it.
Speaker 3: Her hair was darker, yes, she.
Speaker 1: Her expression was less chippered, yes, but yeah, so she we we assume she recognizes Hurley. Hurley kind of recognizes her, but doesn't know from where?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah, I mean she had said in the previous episode something about I recognize you, and he said it was from the plane or something, or maybe she said from the I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think she was deferring. Yes, but uh so what up with that, Libby? And uh just a just a little bit of follow up on last week's revelation that Henry Gail is in fact a dead guy in a balloon or in a grave, yes, as opposed to the guy that they have in the armory. So there was some repercussion of that, but mostly this was pretty entirely focused on herly correct. Yeah, it was about three quarters of the way through. My husband said, aren't they going to do anything about the thing that happened last week?
Speaker 3: No, they have plenty of time to.
Speaker 1: Get to that. Yeah they do. We had a little time for a little bit of said toy torture and a little bit of whatever his name is, manipulating Locke. But uh, you know, we know what's going on there. Let's let's examine the sad, sad life of Hurley for the entire hour, unrelentingly.
Speaker 3: Just just so so sad.
Speaker 1: So I was amused when he started beating up Sawyer, and everybody just kind of stood around with a delight.
Speaker 3: Like finally somebody. And even when when Jin finally goes in, he's just like, all right, I guess my wife wants me to even though I am.
Speaker 1: Y darn it. And early on there's a Hurley shows Libby his status stash of food, and she thinks he should just get rid of it, so he starts like just throwing the food around, which case my husband and I are both saying, possible anybody else might want that food. Just give it.
Speaker 3: Away, don't just destroy it. I guess the thought was that he did give it away once before, but that's right, he kept apparently equit.
Speaker 1: A bit bill So we don't know how long we're going to be on this island. Do we really want to be wasting a deliciousol you know, fake goldfish fries brand. But but it did sort of make the mom and me go kids, don't waste food, don't waste food. Fight no no food fire.
Speaker 3: Are people on a desert island somewhere? YadA, YadA, YadA. I don't. I don't believe I ever.
Speaker 1: Arm very upsetting.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if it was ever used on me to be sure the whole like there are children's starvings.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure it was used on me, I think. But what do parents use now to see eating? Because that will start.
Speaker 3: Eating eating disorders.
Speaker 1: Yes, but there's nothing worse than a kid who will not eat. I had an incident with my nephew once where he just there's just no way you can force no except with emotional and intellectual and manipulation. That's the only tool in your arsenal. And if it doesn't work, you just feel like I am being vested by a talk right, this is not accepting.
Speaker 3: Exactly currently being vested by a dog because oh no, this is the old dog, not the new dog. The new dog. You know, we had to get a slow feeder for her because otherwise, like literally one second she's got it an all down throat. The other dog now would like to be hand fed, please, oh God. And yeah, like we need to figure something out here because it started when she went to visit my daughter and perhaps just because of the whole like trauma of being in a brand new place and not understanding what was going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was hand fed, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, we've traveled far from early but we have it's harder on a dog to try psychological manipulation, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dogs, dogs and and kids both the difficulty of regulating eating and regulating other the other the opposite function.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, trying.
Speaker 1: To toilet training kid, and there is just they have all the power. There is really just nothing you can do to make that happen. Those suppositories were suggested to me at one time. So that must be such a good feeling for kids to know that there are a couple of things and you can't do anything about it. Ah, be where I want to be when and where? Letting on your floor, lady, all right? But uh yeah, so And of course imaginary friends are a big thing with kids, right. I don't remember my kids ever having imaginary friends, but I did have one growing up, I am told and I would you know. It was the sort of thing that somebody would sit down and I would say, no, no, no, what's your name is sitting right? And just I was completely obnoxious about it. And then one day she just fell out of the car and they said, where's so and so? Oh she she felt out of the car webs.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, you just killed her off.
Speaker 1: I just killed her off. I just pushed her off a gigantic cliff on an island. It was fine. Oh boy, Sometimes you know you need it, and sometimes you decide you've moved moved past. Yes, yes, I hope Hurley has symbolically done here since it is apparently all him. So do we think that the island like manifests things from your psyche and so that they are actually then real or do we think that it was all just imagined? Would anybody else have seen him?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I don't think anybody saw him. And he was talking. He was asking Libby like, did you see me holding a slipper?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And she said no, you think you would notice that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: But you know, but like, I don't know how the of imagination was able to throw coconuts at herly.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes so, And I mean it's maybe the same as like Kate's horse, where that horse and somebody else saw that horse and you were able to touch the horse and it was physically but it was from her consciousness that it came. So maybe uh, maybe there's something about the island that does that. Trying to think if there's anybody else, well, I mean Jack's dad was just sort of, well, I guess he his body was on the island.
Speaker 3: Well, and then like animated. Did they see Walt? There was a few.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true. Actually Walt is still physically somewhere, though they keep forgeting.
Speaker 3: She would like us remember.
Speaker 1: Not your dog, she remembers where.
Speaker 3: Where's Yeah, we happen't heard about Michael or Walt for weeks.
Speaker 1: Now we really have it. Nobody's nobody's terribly concerned. They can't They can't communicate through the computer like Walt to communicate with Michael. Maybe Michael manifested that I don't know. I don't remember enough of it, the crazy things they came up with. But expect anything.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's never. You're never going to go wrong if you expect unexpected.
Speaker 1: So I like me some peanut butter. I'm trying to leave. I would ever get to the point where I would lick it off a leaf in the That was real depressed. Maybe, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, and if you were like this, peanut butter is gone. If I don't, that's fine. I don't be a waste. I don't like waste in front. It would depend if any bugs had become stuck in it. I think if bugs had become stick in it, I would have to put it down.
Speaker 1: But if it was just delicious, creamy peanut butter flowing, yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: I have consumed peanut but weights that I'm not working at it but manufacturing so with a spoon.
Speaker 1: Yeah it Harley is punishing himself by eating I generally it's a comfort thing, but I think for most people, but just boy, you know, if you're in a certain mood, a jar of peanut butter and a spoon can just make everything. Don yes, maybe drop, maybe dipping into some chocolate sauce, but yeah, or or use a pretzel quite some time.
Speaker 3: A pretzel stick instead of a spoon.
Speaker 1: Pretzel stoe. Oh, I'm gonna have to try that now, that sounds good. I don't know if I ever did that. No finger, yeah stick, I'm not sure, right, but the dorm of fish crackers.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, well, and that was you know, you still felt bad for herly but the oh my gosh. I tried to to remove all of the temptations, but obviously it didn't work.
Speaker 1: Did they watch the episode? They have some insights. I guess I need that peanut butter. Give me some peanut butter right now, Yeah, but down the jar and I lease my tongue to extract and will be fine. My dog has her own jar of peanut butter.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we do have We do have dog peanut. But I mean not that we Yeah, we with our old dog. We gave That's how we gave him his nightly pill.
Speaker 1: Was like peanut butter situation. Yeah, no, my dog slips off with SPS out the pill. So we have to think of something.
Speaker 3: New plant. Yeah, but I mean this this moment where Early and Libby have you know, basically trashed his whole supply and that. Yeah, they are interrupted, like there's not even a moment of time that passes in between. And there, Hey, guess what we just a found a gigantic food has fallen from the sky in this guy.
Speaker 1: So Early, yeah, so much for that. Yeah, yeah, we.
Speaker 3: Thought it was over. It wasn't.
Speaker 1: All right, it is, so.
Speaker 3: What else? Now the other one gets involved.
Speaker 1: Let's see, I was feeling feeling really good for Hurley that Libby was like so into him and really hanging in there too to hang with him. And then it turns out that there's something you know from seeing her at the end of the episode, it's like, does she really like Immerus or something else going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, where we.
Speaker 1: Guess we know why she's hanging around him.
Speaker 3: At least she she she saved him, so yeah she did.
Speaker 1: Although you saw we saw Hurley back just he was on the very rim of the cliffs, and I mean a guy of his size, this worries me just then because cliffs aren't that stable. And then she comes up and kisses him, and I'm like, do you want to like have him come up? It's gonna be a very dramatic kiss if you guys both go over the cloud, or.
Speaker 3: If you just like swooze a little from your exactly. Yes, it is a yes.
Speaker 1: Oh well, although you know, Dave did make a compelling case that this was all in his head. Yeah, because it's like this is this is one of those times where I feel like the writers were trolling the fan forums to get like I'm sure somebody had thought it's all in their heads. It's all in their heads, and so it's like, Okay, let's have a character say that and then kind of disprove it, although not really, Yeah, you know, let's play with it and you think that's what it is sure, here we go. We'll nod our head into that. Come on, you guys. Yeah, and you know, do you guys know what it is for real? Or are you just throwing stuff against the screen and it's in, you know, amusing stuff. We're happy to watch it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, for sure it was. It had me going like, yeah, it sounds plausible to me. You know, Dave makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, he makes some good plain right, two baddies doesn't actually exist. But I mean it would make sense for herly to be thinking that, right because he has felt that with all I mean, the weirdness of all the numbers being those numbers. Yeah, And nobody has engaged him on that at all. He has pointed it out a whole bunch of times, and nobody has said, tell me about these numbers. Where did you get this number? That's really weird? How could that possibly be? They're all like, oh, just shut up? Yeah, So which is you know, a worrying lack of curiosity? Not their face? What's that you say? Everything has these numbers that you heard from these guys who went crazy? Really No, Well, yeah, I just think he's making I guess.
Speaker 3: Speaking of that, they did have that brief scene where Henry Gale whatever his name is said tells Locke that he didn't actually enter the numbers, yes, which I don't necessarily I don't really believe. Well, I think do we see him? Meant, do we.
Speaker 1: See I don't think we saw it. We just we were we were with Locke. I think when the stuff the saren just stopped going off right, or the alarm right. So yeah, I don't think we saw whether he did it or not. But I could just certainly just be saying that.
Speaker 3: I'm inclined to not believe him.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: But I think it's pretty safe to not believe him. But but yeah, he.
Speaker 3: Sure knows how to get under lock skin. He does come up with a lot of a lot of different creative ways to do that.
Speaker 1: He is masterful. I would have liked maybe more of that plot and a little bit less of oh.
Speaker 3: Poor really just being torment that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they may I mean, he's so likable. Yeah, I know if it's it's or Garcia's performance or just the way he's been written, but he's so like of all of them, he is possibly the which is why they wanted to put him in charge of the food. But no, Oh, well, I'm glad he didn't jump off the clat It must have been tempting. Well. From the parenting point of view, the whole thing of changing yourself is, you know, things that we may sometimes be the psychologist instructing somebody to do, and sometimes we may.
Speaker 4: Be the uh, you know, the patient.
Speaker 1: Person saying it's impossible, but uh, you know, in terms of wanting your kids to be fundamentally different than they are for a good reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good luck with that, right, one.
Speaker 1: Strike of the magic wand we should we should get one do over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then you'd be real tempted to use it when they just won't sleep through the night.
Speaker 1: And that's true, and then you're still aforementioned the aforementioned eating and toilet training. But you know, we've all had, i think, the experience of wanting our kids to be able to do something or to go in a certain direction and forcing the matter and then having it not working out, realizing sometimes to disastrous of consequences, and going but but still tempting. I'm just going to make this happen. I'm just going to force this. It'll be fine.
Speaker 3: I know best.
Speaker 1: I know best, But don't tell me that I have to like stop worrying. No, No, that a fundamental a feature, not a fraud. Right, So anyway on we move to see if next week maybe we will have more of the hatch drama and some sort of we seem to be moving to some something, and I doubt it's going to be. Well, I know it's not gonna be Syed killing him. I hope you're not thinking it's gonna be Syed killing him.
Speaker 4: It's no.
Speaker 1: Spoiler.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't think that.
Speaker 1: I can't remember how this particular thing played out. I know I know things about that character, but I don't remember this particular instance. Fix how he gets out of this jam other than just by you know, mentally manipulating her.
Speaker 4: Right she is.
Speaker 3: He's extremely.
Speaker 1: Sort of delightfully so. But you know, he and Dave. I'm seriously if they could have thrown Dave into the into the although if only Hurley is seeing them that would be difficult, but still Hurley could have brought him down to the hatch and said, could you lock the student he's trying to get me to jump off the cliff put.
Speaker 3: Him in there with a k Henry.
Speaker 1: I will be so glad when when we learn actually learn.
Speaker 3: His Yes, we can stop.
Speaker 1: Yes, Because I always think of him as the name that they eventually settle on. I have to keep thinking, oh, he's Henry, He's still Henry, Henry, Henry Henry in quotation, right, that guy not Henry. Yes, I'll just call him not Henry from now on. So next Tuesday, we will continue with season two, episode nineteen of Lost. Soos have they not.
Speaker 3: Tried this yet? Sending out ons? It's been like two three months?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm in your first move. Guys, get the thought. I wonder who is sending the sos and to whom they are sending it. We shall see find out, We'll see you, and we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss running point, in which all the characters are actually there. We're pretty short. Sandy's boyfriend could be a figation. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram, or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout chat and please visit our Amazon shop at amazon dot com slash shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.
Speaker 3: MHM.