Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI hand KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 1: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King. It is five o'clock straight up, Monday, February tenth. This is your wake up call. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Happy to have you along, whether you're listening at AM six forty or on the iHeartRadio app. Whatever, We're just glad you're here. We're just glad. So the big Game not so much of a game. Hey, you know, I had a theory though before the game started that Eminem's was rooting for the Philadelphia Eagles. Here's why, because I make eminem cookies. So I bought a big, huge bag of eminem so I could sort and put color, you know, so I could have my Kansas City Chiefs cookies the red and the yellow, and I could have my Philadelphia Eagles cookies, which would be the dark brown and green. It was like three to one, three to one green.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like.
Speaker 1: Why, I don't know, I don't know if it was discrimination or something, but anyway, but I brought some in so you can have you can have your Eagles or your Chiefs cookies this morning. Will thank you. All Right, here's what's ahead on wake up call. We got a lot going on today. The Eagles soared to their second Super Bowl win. Philadelphia led the whole way and blew out the Chiefs forty twenty two in Super Bowl fifty nine. The score was not as close as that score reflects. The Eagles prevented the Chiefs the league's first ever Super Bowl three p or maybe the Chiefs prevented themselves. Yeah, okay. Residents and environmental activists have hit the streets to protest the EPA's plans to take hazardous waste from the Palisades Fire to the parking lot at will Rogers State Beach. The waste would be sorted then hauled off to a permanent dump site, but residents say the site is too close to the water and would pose a public health risk. President Trump says he expects to find hundreds of billions of dollars in wasteful spending at the Education and Defense departments. In his pre Super Bowl interview on Fox, Trump outlined his plans for Elon Musk and the Department of Government Efficiency to expand its probe of fraud, waste, and abuse in the federal government. We're going to be checking in with ABC's Karen Travers to talk more about that in just a minute. It's been a month since the fires, and for some of us, life has kind of returned to normal, but for thousands it has not and will not for a long time. That's where Center LA comes in, So we're going to check in find out what they're doing now for the victims of the Palisades and Eating fires, Their their mission kind of shifts as we go through time, and how they still need your help. We're going to be talking to the Director of Disaster Services. That's coming up at five point fifty. Got the good, the bad, and the ugly of Super Bowl Ads with ABC's Jim Ryan at five twenty. Also, I'm selling a bit celebrating a bit of a milestone or an anniversary, if you want to call it that, and also have a friendly reminder of something that nobody really wants to do, but it's something that can literally save your life and did for me. That's coming up at bottom of the hour. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Philadelphia Eagles have soared to their second Super Bowl win. It's the first to be held in New Orleans in a dozen years. Quarterback Jalen Hurts was the game's MVP.
Speaker 4: He've been a long journey. It's been a journey of ups and downs and lows, and I've always stayed true to it in the end, man having his vision of just being the best that I can beat.
Speaker 1: So, Jalen, I have to tell you, did you watch at the post game? They were talking about a picture that he had up on his social media from the last time the Chiefs and the Eagles played, And he's walking off the field with all the confetti coming down, and it's all red and gold on his home screen screen and he's kept it there since the last game as a reminder. So last night he got to walk out with a lot of green. Yeah. Very nice. The Chiefs had been favored to win, but the Eagles scored first and well scored and scored and scored. They got six sacks, intercepted Patrick Mahomes twice. The Chiefs finally scored in the second half, but again. The final score was forty to twenty two. LA County DA Nathan Hackman and other county officials are about to announce legislation to tough in laws against looting and impersonating urgency workers during disasters and the recovery process. More than two dozen people were arrested last month for allegedly looting in the fire zones, with some accused of impersonating firefighters to avoid law enforcement. The DA has said targeting victims of the fires at their lowest moment is despicable and shameful, and his office will do everything in its power to bring their victimizers to justice. And Southern California's getting ready for another round of rain.
Speaker 2: Weather officials say the likelihood that another storm hits the region with heavy rains by the middle of this week is growing. The National Weather Service as a light drizzle will start tomorrow night and eventually turn into moderate to heavy, widespread rain. Many areas like Los Angeles, Santa Clarita, and Oxnard could see up to two inches of rain. Flooding is also a big concern. Along with MUD's lights. There's also a chance of snow at elevations above five thousand feet Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: Now let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. So we have posts super Bowl. But pre Super Bowl, pro Trump did his interview that actually hadn't been done for a bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the President sat down for what had been traditional a pregame interview on Fox that aired during the Super Bowl pregame show. President Biden had not done that in a couple of years. You know, the White House had said that they wanted Super Bowl Sunday to be about football and about the game and everybody being able to focus on that and not about politics. This president tends to take a different view of big days like yesterday, not just doing the interview beforehand that aired in the pregame show, but actually going to the game himself. Prew from Florida to New Orleans. He was on the field before the game started. So he likes to make himself involved in these big national American moments, and yesterday Super Bowl Sunday was no different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so during his the interview, they touched on a lot and of course Elon Musk is front and center because he's doing so well with the Department of Governmental Efficiency.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, there wasn't like a big headline in the sense of the President saying, you know, something new, But I think there were a lot of really interesting nuggets of him describing the work that Elon Musk, the so called Department of Government Efficiency are doing. You know, he was saying that Musk is doing this, but you know, kind of out of the kindness of his heart, is how the President's framing it. He's not gaining anything from this position, he says, And we heard the President described himself, his family members, some of his close advisors that way during the first term, that people walked away from significant business opportunities in order to serve in the administration, and he clearly views Elon Musk in a very similar way. He also again underlined that he's going to have Musk look at the Department of Education, something he campaigned on, so that's not surprising, but also said again that he's going to have him look at the Pentagon and the budget there, going line by line and looking at the numbers. And the President said yesterday, you know, we're going to find hundreds of billions of dollars of fraud and abuse. He said, let's check the military. I think that's going to surprise a lot of people if they do go in that direction and look at, you know, that massive national security and defense budget. I think there could be blowback, even from some in his own party if certain things start getting touched.
Speaker 1: Although if it's too like we've all heard of the one hundred thousand dollars toilet and those kinds of things, If that kind of stuff is uprooted, I would think that people would be a little more receptive. But if he does massive cuts like he's doing at some of the other departments, I could see where there's going to be blowback.
Speaker 5: Sure, But I think in the grand scheme of it, like that is dropping the bucket doesn't even come close to describing what like one hundred thousand dollars would be When it comes to the budget, you know, when you look at the hie charts of the federal spending and you look at how much of that goes to the military budget, it's the bulk of it, you know, and then obviously you have other things that go toward like entitlements too. But compare that to like the USAID budget, which is just a tiny fraction of it, I think, and that's where it's been one thing to say, you're going to start going in on some of those agencies that the White House, that Trump White House uses low hanging fruit in a sense, but then going into some of those other untouchable areas. That's going to be a different step for them, And.
Speaker 1: Like with everything else, that's going to be very interesting to watch and proving that the president is not right about everything. He predicted who was going to win the Super Bowl? He did.
Speaker 5: He said pretty strongly that he was going to go to Kansas City. He said, when you have a quarterback who wins as much as he's won, I mean, look, he wasn't going out on a limb there. I think almost you know, the vast majority of pundits in sports were predicting the exact same thing. I'm a Philly fan. I'm from Philly, so I am happy it went in the other direction. That is why I found the way I do this morning too. I think it was a late night.
Speaker 1: Well that's great. If you were here, I would give you my Philadelphia eminem cookies. But I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Oh that's very fun. We ate so much green frosting last night. I think that was good for like a week, probably.
Speaker 1: Still green AVCS. Thanks, thank you so much. Have a great day.
Speaker 5: Have a great day.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The American Airlines Commuter jet and Blackhawk helicopter wreckage has been removed from the Potomac River. The National Transportation Safety Board said Saturday that all of the major pieces from both aircraft that collided almost two weeks ago near in Washington, DC have been recovered and are being moved to a secure facility for more examination. The President of Turkey has again rejected a US proposal to relocate Palestinians from Gaza. President Erdowan says Turkey does not consider the proposal to exile the Palestinians from the lands they've lived in for thousands of years as something to be taken seriously. He also says Israel should pay for the damage it caused in Gaza and for the reconstruction to begin. Democratic members of the House claimed President Trump is putting the US in the most serious constitutional crisis since Watergate. They say the virtual shuddering of US aid by Elon Musk's doze eliminates the US's soft power around the world. But Ohio Republican Congressman Mike Turner says suggestions the Chinese will step in are wrong.
Speaker 6: They're not going to come in and start providing aid of this nature.
Speaker 2: They don't have the heart for it, they don't have the goals and objectives for it.
Speaker 6: This is not what they do.
Speaker 2: It is what we do because we have compassion.
Speaker 1: Turner says he disagrees with Musk's comments that USAID is a criminal enterprise and says Musk needs to communicate more professionally with the American public. President Trump is called for a major change to the country's currency.
Speaker 7: President Trump says he directed the Treasury to stop minting new pennies, calling the coin wasteful, as he focuses on cutting costs, targeting entire agencies and the federal workforce.
Speaker 1: ABC's Perry Russam says Trump posted, let's rip the waste out of our great nation's budget, even if it's a penny at a time. He says minting one penny literally costs more than two cents, and Trump's latest executive orders aims to root out anti Christian bias in the federal government. Trump says a task force will focus on agencies, including the Department of Justice, the IRS, and FBI. New Attorney General Pam Bondi will chair the task force. Researchers say black men are twice as likely as white men to not get mental health treatment. The organization Dads to Doula's has been formed to address that issue. Founder Brad Edwards says cultivating awareness and acceptance of mental health care in the black community is essential.
Speaker 8: The disconnect was really the stigma that came behind it, and we look at health, you know, go work out in the gym, you know, we becoming stronger, right, So mental health.
Speaker 1: Is the same thing. February is Black History Month. The beach in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, has reopened to swimmers after it was closed because of tar balls in the water and on the shoreline. Seth Platt lives in the area. He says he recognized the oily blobs right away inadvertently touched one while he was shooting video.
Speaker 7: Now I can't use my hands for the rest of my shoot.
Speaker 1: Plats as he figures the blobs came from some sort of spill from a ship, noting that three chemical oil tankers had been anchored offshore. Moviegoers have gone to the dogs for a second week. Dog Man held onto the top spot at the box office. That brought in thirteen point seven million in ticket sales in its second week of release. That's the one where a police officer clones his dog's head onto his head and then they fight against a vicious cap. The slasher movie Heart Eyes opened in second place. Enjoy the sun today because heavy rains expected by the middle of the week. The National Weather Services light drizzle will start by tomorrow night, with moderate to heavy rain expected by Wednesday, which raises concerns again of mud and debris flows in the burn areas and also possibly flooding. Up to two inches of rain could fall. Snow is possible above five thousand feet. Two FEMA disaster recovery centers for residents impacted by the La Kenny wildfires will be operating new hours starting today. The center at UCLA Research Park west on Pico Boulevard, West Pico Boulevard, and also the Altadena Disaster Recovery Center on West Woodbury Road will be opened daily from nine am to seven pm, seven days a week. Gas prices have hit their highest level since last summer. Yeah, I noticed that last time I filled up. The average price for a gallon of regular unleaded rose almost two cents yesterday to nearly four to sixty five a gallon in La County. It was the fourteenth increase in the last fifteen days. Orange County gas prices were up for a thirteenth straight day to four sixty two gallon at six oh five its handle on the news, large scale immigration action could be coming to La so says a leaked document. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan, fresh off Super Bowl viewing. Lots of A listers featured in Super Bowl ads, So let's let's go over some of the hits and misses.
Speaker 6: A listers from today, like Shaboozi, maybe A listers from thirty years ago like Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal reprising their roles from the when Harry met Sally at Katz's Delhi. So yeah, a little mix of the old and the new. Bell Murray thrown into the mix there as well. But yeah, an expensive night for a lot of advertisers. If you looked last year, Amy Super Bowl forty eight one hundred and twenty three point seven million viewers. For that the largest TV audience ever for anything. But of course it was an overtime game, you know, so that build and built the audience toward the end and then continued afterward. Last night, it was a blowout after the first half, And so it's unlikely that we're going to see these kinds of numbers. We won't know for a couple of days when Nielsen releases the results from viewing last night.
Speaker 1: Do we do we get result of what the most popular ads were.
Speaker 6: Popular nor favorite? Yeah, I mean, it depends on who's asking though, or who's looking at it. And a vanity fair puts out and list. The New York Times put its out a list of its favorites. But I don't know if it's possible to gauge the favor You don't know until it's over whether it's any good or not. Right, But and maybe the advertisers will sit some folks down, and you would have simply did that beforehand, though, and test some of these ads to see if it'll play well or if it's just confusing flying mustaches, seal morphed into a seal sloths. You know, there were a lot of kind of confusing moments there, you know, But it's a calculated risk and you have to assume the advertising department at Cores or Meta or at Hellman's Mayonaige, you know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so the seal one that you mentioned, I want to play part of it because go.
Speaker 4: Ahead, it's kissed by the perfect amount of drop the.
Speaker 1: Line and you immediately go, oh cool, seal them. Okay, So if you missed it, the seal space is on a seal. Yeah, and it's creepy as I'll get out. Like we all we wrote a super Bowl party and everybody went, oh no, that's so creepy. It was creepy, and obviously Seal was part of it. I mean he had to agree to it, and it was. I mean, it was kind of funny the song, but just like it was just creepy looking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, well I thought there were some other creepy and flying mustaches and the Caesars little Caesars add with the mustaches. I don't know. There should be a book, an advertising book that says, never combined hair with a food product. Okay, mustaches with pizzas?
Speaker 1: Do you think of that?
Speaker 6: That's a major No. No, I don't know what they're up to with that.
Speaker 1: But anyway, the sloths were cute, the cores light sloths. Yeah, yeah, was that court Wait that was course light right, yes.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's cool.
Speaker 6: You see there. See there. You should know immediately, and that's the other advertising rule, right, you should know immediately what the product is that they're trying to sell. They're spending millions of dollars to get their name out there and get a product. The Bill Murray ad it was selling Bill Murray as much as what I assume was the advertiser, which is Yahoo. But yeah, that's uh, maybe they broke some rules last night on purpose.
Speaker 1: One that I remembered was the Instaccart. It was like had all the like it had like the Energizer Bunny, and it had a little Wiener dogs and it had all these different brands. It had kool Aid, I remember, and they were all like running through the streets and we were all going, what in the heck is that? And then you see the instacart and you go, okay, that makes sense. I didn't like the ad, but I remembered it.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well Uber Eats with Matthew McConaughey in about six different roles, that was pretty good.
Speaker 1: Well, anything with Matthew McConaughey.
Speaker 6: And he was also in the Sale Force ad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he pulled double duty.
Speaker 6: Who was it.
Speaker 1: Jeff Goldblum was in like two or three last year, I think, And so that's right, Matthew McConaughey's the guy.
Speaker 6: I guess here's the guy.
Speaker 1: Okay. Then did you see the Totinos ad?
Speaker 6: I don't was that in the second half because I was gone by that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Totinos did an ad and it was like that an alien had come down and they were saying and was leaving. It was sort of like an et looking thing. Yeah, and the ET thing was holding the Totinos and then the door to his spaceshift closes on him and kills him, and everybody, all the people saying goodbye on Earth were like, oh, it's so awful. It was just weird. But again I remember that it was Totinos.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 1: But I thought the ad itself was really bad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I've seen a lot of criticism. New York Times was pretty critical of the ads, saying that they weren't great, that they the lack of creativity and you know, plenty of FaceTime for celebrities but not a lot of of thought went into fighting them or producing I don't know, but that's that's one newspaper's opinion, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll see if it does anything like they It obviously has to be worth the eight million dollars. If they wouldn't keep doing.
Speaker 6: It, well maybe, I mean, and a lot of it depends upon how the game goes. The last year's overtime game, that's the one that you had record setting viewership last night, and with a blowout out to the first half. You know, pity the poor advertiser who bought an ad in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no kidding, all right, ABC's Jim Ryan, thank you as always. All right, all right, we'll talk to you soon. The man chosen by La Mayor Bass to lead rebuilding efforts following the devastating wildfires in La County will now apparently work for free. Steve Soberoff was going to make five hundred thousand dollars for ninety days of work. That sparked a public out uproar Mayor Bass's office set he would have been paid by philanthropic organizations, not by taxpayers. Governor Newsom assigned an executive order to increase higher preparedness in urban areas.
Speaker 3: The order directs the State Board of Forestry to accelerate a regulation called Zone zero, which requires an ember resistant zone within five feet of a structure. It also tasks the Office of the State Fire Marshal with releasing updated fire hazard severity zones. The order requires CalFire and California's Office of Emergency Services to work with local and federal partners to improve resources. Brigida de Gastino KFI News.
Speaker 1: A property in Altadena where a home stood before the Eton fire has sold for just over a half million dollars. It's now an escro. The real estate agent who listed the property said they were asking four hundred forty nine thousand and quickly got dozens of calls from prospective buyers. The winning bid was one hundred thousand dollars over asking. The listing described the sale as land only. Buena Park High School's placed a staff member on administrative leave following comments that sparked a student protest. Mark Mayfield says the teacher advocated for deportations and earning of the Mexican flag in social media posts.
Speaker 8: Administrators released a statement saying the posts do not reflect the views of the Fullerton Joint Union High School District or of Boynett Park High School. A district has not identified the staff member by name or said what their position is.
Speaker 1: It's not clear when the posts were made. A twenty two year old from Long Beach has been identified as the US Marine killed in an airplane crash in the Philippines. Sergeant Jacob Durham was killed in the crash that happened Thursday during what the Marine or the military called a routine security mission. Three contractors were also killed in the crash. Here's something you haven't seen for a while. Playboy back on newsstands and is available starting today. The printed magazine hasn't been in circulation since twenty twenty. Model Lori Harvey is the cover girl. The issue features an interview with Golden Globe's host and comedian Nikki Blazer. And she did a great job at that. With a Super Bowl win under their belt, it's time for phillied it. Elfie had a plan for the parade. The Eagles Super Bowl victory parade will be held on Valentine's Day in the City of Brotherly Love. How fitting, of course, the Eagles won forty to twenty two. In Super Bowl fifty nine, President Trump says he's going to be announcing new twenty five percent steel and aluminum import tariffs today. The White House Press Secretary Caroline Lovitt says the new tariffs would be on top of existing duties on steel and aluminum. China's fifteen percent retaliatory tariffs on the US are scheduled to go into effect today, and Nora was the big winner over the weekend at two awards shows that are often an indicator of who might take the top awards. At the Oscars, the movie about the romance between a prostitute and the son of a Russian oligarch, won Best Motion Picture at the Producer's Guild of America Awards and also Best Director for Sean Baker at the Director's Guild of America Awards. I have not seen that one yet. Got to get that on my list. At six zero five's handle on the news. Instead of a five hundred thousand dollars salary for three months of work, the guy who's in charge of coordinating rebuilding efforts after the fires, it's going to do it for free. Oh that's a much better price, don't you think. Okay, So today is an anniversary of mine, for of sorts, or a milestone. But anyway, it was four years ago today, February tenth, twenty twenty one, that I took my very last round of chemotherapy. So it was my last day after six months, and of course I had the chemotherapy because I had the big sea. I had colon cancer. And the great news about that is that it took about three months to figure out what it was because it just I went through these bouts of having stomach cramps and then throwing up, and then everything would be normal, and we were like, what is that? Why is that happening? And so it took about three months to figure it out and kind of weed out all the other options, and then finally I find only got a colonoscopy and an endoscopy done. My gasterentrologist said, hey, let's do an endoscopy and see what's going on with your stomach that's causing all this, and he goes, oh, and then let's do your colonoscopy at the same time. Have you ever done one of those? And I said I haven't, so he said, okay, let's do them both. We did that and that's where we found the big seat. So and that was in June of twenty twenty, and about a week later I went in and had surgery and they removed the bad stuff and about eleven inches of my large intestine and then it was all uphill after that. But we got to do six months of chemotherapy as a precaution to make sure that none of the bad cells were still floating around in my system. So the lesson learned in all of this one. I'm thrilled that it was four years ago today that I didn't have to do chemotherapy any longer. And also I hope you will indulge me and let me rum mind you that getting a colonoscopy is something that nobody wants to talk about, nobody wants to get it done. It's you know, it's just one of those things that you need to do. Though, and now they're saying that instead of getting your baseline one done at fifty, they're recommending you do it at forty five because it's showing up more in younger people. And the great news about colon cancers in a lot of cases, they can catch it before it turns bad and they can get it out, and I can be your cautionary tale, because if I would have gone and gotten my colonoscopy when I was supposed to, they would have found the bad cells before they turned into cancer and would have been able to remove it, and I wouldn't have had to have the surgery and the chemotherapy and all of that stuff. As it turns out, I was very lucky because we did find out what it was and we did get it. And so this is my reminder to you, because I'm on a mission that's probably going to continue for the rest of my life to get your calloscopy. It can literally save your life. Okay, that's it. I'm done ranting. Okay, So super Bowl ads. There's one that we didn't talk about, Well, there's two that we didn't talk about. One of them was very weird and controversial, and that was Kanye or Yay or whatever he's calling himself now, where he's sitting in a dentist chair showing off his teeth and talking about how expensive it was and then directs people to his website. And I did not go see that. It did not prompt me to go look, but Producer and said that she went and looked, and it is filled with all kinds of hate and like he was wearing a T shirt and said he was wearing a T shirt that had a swastika on it or something really crazy. Well, no, it's still up there. It's just a white it's just a white screen. And in the left corner is a T shirt with a swastik on it. And the only thing you can do is buy it. So bizarre, very weird. And he's been on this rant on social media. Producer Michelle was talking about that at the party yesterday, talking about how he's been on a rant. It's just somebody needs to help him. He needs help. And that's what I'm going to say about that an a and then we'll share a more uplifting one if we have time, but right now we have to talk to Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Good morning, Courtney, good morning.
Speaker 9: And by the way, I'm sending you so much love on this anniversary.
Speaker 1: For you. I'm an know varying cancer.
Speaker 9: Survivor, so I feel all of what you were just talking about chemo is just so painful. I'm actually not even at my one year chemo anniversary.
Speaker 1: But you will be.
Speaker 9: You will, yes, very very soon, I will be but yeah, you're so right, get tested for your colonoscopy. I want a mission too for you.
Speaker 1: Know, keep going to the doctor.
Speaker 9: Uh there, They're only here to help you and move you forward, and if you feel something's wrong, something usually is wrong.
Speaker 1: So absolutely well we're in and especially with you, because like with colon cancer again, you get the colonoscby if they find some than funky, they can take it out as polyps and stuff. They can get it out and you might never have to deal with it. Ovarian cancer is a very sneaky one.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, no, and there's no real test for it. You just have to figure out that something is going wrong with you. And weirdly enough, it was I had a pain in my foot and that's what actually prompted me. It was, unfortunately going to the pediatrist for a while, not realizing that it was ovarian cancer.
Speaker 1: So fine intervention at some point. Exactly. Yes, we're so glad that you are healthy and cancer free and here to talk to us every weekday morning. So let's jump into it. What are we looking for in the stock market this week?
Speaker 9: Oh, we have a lot to look forward to because Wall Street they're waiting for comments from j Powell, the FED Chairman, is delivering his semi annual testimony to lawmakers on Capitol Hill tomorrow and Wednesday. Everybody's going to be watching out for that. They want to see what he's going to say about interest rates, what he's going to say about the labor market, what he'll also say about inflation, and speaking of that, we do get an update on inflation with the Consumer Price Report on Wednesday, so I'm sure he's going to get some questions on that one.
Speaker 1: Stocks are on the.
Speaker 9: Rise this morning, Dow futures up two hundred and thirty five points, SMP futures, They're gaining about half a percent on Friday, though, tariff worries moved to the forefront once again that since stock's lower, we had a volatile week last week, but on Friday the Dow drop.
Speaker 1: Four hundred and forty four points. Okay, And then before I let you go, this makes me sad. The price on the Disney vacation is going up again.
Speaker 9: Ah. Yes, and many middle class families are wishing upon a star for a less expensive Disney vacation. Sources inside Disney are telling the Wall Street Journal that some leaders feel the company.
Speaker 1: Has become addicted to price hikes.
Speaker 9: Internal discussions over whether the company is losing the connection with the middle class has become more frequent, but Disney CFO told Bloomberg last week that consumers are definitely willing to pay the price for a Disney vacation.
Speaker 1: He says, pretty much because people are.
Speaker 9: Getting a lot for it and they haven't really seen a pushback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do, but at some point they're going to hit critical mass. At some point people are going to say, we just can't.
Speaker 9: It's just too You're right about that, because the company's own surveys found that the number of guest planning return trips have ticked down sharply since twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Okay, Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, congratulations on your victory over the Big Sea, and we'll send you too. Yes, I'll be here all right, Great, thanks Courtney. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Three more Israeli hostages have been released as part of the Israel Hamas ceasefire deal. The men have all been taken to the hospital after appearing frail and emaciated. As part of the ceasefire. Israel has also withdrawn its forces from a five mile long strip of the Gaza Strip. A federal court has blocked the Trump administration from sending three Venezuelan immigrants held in New Mexico to Guantanamo Bay and Cuba as part of the president's immigration crackdown. Lawyers for the men asked the courts for a temporary restraining order yesterday to block the transfer. They cited the availability of the legal process and access to lawyers. An attorney for the men says the court granted the temporary order during a brief hearing a short time later. A city in the South Bays being sued by city workers.
Speaker 3: Seven current and former Manhattan Beach employees are assuing the city alleging discrimination, retaliation, and corruption. Lead plaintiff Erica King, a Latina senior management analyst, claims officials limit resources for women, people of color, and older employees while punishing whistleblowers. The lawsuit accuses city leaders of fostering harassment and mismanagement, diverting over seven hundred thousand dollars to consultants for work that's meant to be done in house. King says she faced retaliation after speaking out, including job reassignments and project removals. The city has not yet responded to the allegations. Brigida Degastino KFI News.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's one more ad that I actually didn't see, but then I heard about it afterward, and I wish that I would have seen it, And that was this one, say Will has a confused look on his face to Juiciakno, Juicia. Okay. So it's it's Rocket Mortgage or Rocket dot Com and they're singing Country Roads take Me Home and saying the you know, the dream of owning a home is alive and well. And then right after the song stops, then that they go to the stadium and people are singing along in the stadium. It's the first time that they've ever done that where they kind of continued the spot and they had to go back and forth to get approval for it. But I thought that that was one of the very sweet ones, and you know, I love inspirational stuff, so I was very happy with that one. Residents of Dwarty have tested the EPA's use have a park in Irwindale to collect debris from the fire. In Altadena, the group gathered near Lario Park on Saturday, saying the EPA did not consult them before opening this site, and say they're worried that hazardous waste being stored there could make them sick. The EPA says the site is secure and the surrounding area is safe from contamination. Illegal immigrants being held at Guantanamo Bay will remain there, apparently until officials can reach agreements to return them to their home countries. Homeland Security Secretary Christy Noam says that could mean some could be held at the US military detention facility in Cuba for weeks. Wild Robot was the big winner this weekend's Annie Awards, which recognizes the best animation in the last year. The story of a robot who gets shipwrecked on a deserted island and befriends and protects the animals she meets, won nine of the ten awards. It was nominated for Very Cute. We're just a few minutes away from Handle on the news that starts at six oh five, so stick around for that. Now, let's say good morning to the director of Disaster Services for Dream Center, La Clint Carlton Clint, So, thanks so much for getting up early and talking to us this morning. It's been just over a month since the wildfires. The Dream Center has been key in getting aid to people affected by the fires. So tell us where we're at now and then we'll talk about where we're going.
Speaker 4: Oh, we're in their recovery phase right now. I sat on Friday. I sat in a room full of people from all different walks of life. As the Dream Center, thanks to our partners iHeartRadio, KFI Radio, we were able to give ten thousand dollars checks to six different families. And the thing is, these people were all walks of life. They're retired, some were doctors, some were car salesmen, all different walks of life, and just hearing the stories of how they're coping. One was a was an er doctor and because of the PTSD, she hasn't made it back to work yet. And and you just during this recovery phase, you just sit here and you listen as they have closure, but as as you hear them out. I mean, she's an er doctor and she says every time she hears the sirens, it just takes her back to that night where she was rushing home from the hospital to get to her family. Because let me tell you something. She she told her her dad or her husband to take the pets and take the kids to her parents' house, which they live in Altadena as well, but they were never in a fire zone, and so she told them, now, take take the take the animals over there, take the kids over there, and I'll meet you guys there. And on her way, they're getting evacuated, you know, her parents are getting evacuated. So it hit so many of these families and it's very uh, it's sad with the stories you're hearing. But you know, thanks to you guys, we've been able to give out almost two million dollars to families and that and that is monetary gifts. Two million dollars of families that have been affected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's and that's like you know, a five thousand dollar check or a ten thousand or maybe even less than that, but just something to help them just to kind of start thinking about starting over, knowing that this is just the very very first steps.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, I mean, and it's it's where they're getting into their departments. You know, these these shelters are closing now, so they're they're faced with these life decisions and saying Okay, where are you going to live? And what I've seen is and this is what I see with with all the different hurricanes that I'm involved with, is the families and the people that live in these towns. They want to be as close as they can to where it happens. So so these families want to get too altered, whether it be sitting or restaurants all day long, or or sit at a family's house all day long, or or a part. They want to be close to to these areas. And that's I'm working with, you know, the City eleventh Foundation on the Palisade side to bring back their public spaces quickly. And if if we can't get them back in the in the Palisades quick we're trying to get them as close to the palistapes in Brentwood or different areas. So we're working on that area, uh, to bring back the public spaces, but also in the Altadena area. Tell these families, you know, rebuild their their mindset as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so do you. Because we've talked before, Clint that there are four stages of recovery. You just said, we're we're in recovery now. But so there was the rescue is the first one, and then what's the next one?
Speaker 4: Yep, the rescue, the relief, and then the recovery and then and then the rebuild is the final stage. And and uh, you know, and and then that's what that's what we're dealing with to is obviously we deal with the county and the state, uh in federal for the Alta dentifier where uh e p A is coming in pulling out the you know, uh the big debris that they can of these houses. We're still in in different areas going through the ashes, do a personal property recovery and and sifting through the ashes for the residents in Altadena. But then in the Palace Ads, we're dealing with the city. We're dealing with the county of the state and federal. So uh, the fires are two different animals.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: For a disaster, you have a lot of people that want to be involved, uh, that that have you know, want to have their say.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: And so I feel like right now the Altadena fier is a little bit easier for us to get around to to help these families out to have closure, you know, and and they're you know, obviously I just heard you know, the e p A is working to get the debris into different areas. So so they're starting that prop in Alta Dina right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Clint, knowing we just have a couple of seconds off, do you still need donations of physical items or is that on pause for now?
Speaker 4: No, Well, we'll still take donations. They can drop them off from nine to noon at the Dream Center because we also have a store that's open every day that's Relief Resource Center from three pm to seven pm Monday through Friday, and then from nine am to noon on Saturday. So if the piece of somebody was affected by the fire and they need clothing, they need any supplies, we have that at the Dream Center. But you can also continue to drop off donations, okay in the address.
Speaker 1: I know it's on Bellflower is it twenty three Oho three.
Speaker 4: Two three zero one Bellevue Avenue two three zero one Bellevue Avenue. It's the one on one in Elvorado.
Speaker 1: You're right, you're good, two three zero one Bell View.
Speaker 4: Avenue, View Avenue, YEP, one on one in Alvarado. That's across streets.
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect, and monetary donations.
Speaker 4: At monetary do you know they can go to Dreamcenter dot org to donate dream Center dot org and and we have a fire relief tab on there where to go straight to the fire victims. And we can't thank you enough for your voice.
Speaker 1: Well can thank you enough for everything that you're doing. Clint Carlton, the director of Disaster Services for dream Center LA, doing such important work. And like you just mentioned, this isn't going away. I know that it's not in the headlines as much anymore, but this is We're in this for the long haul. So anything you can do as much appreciated. Thanks Clint, Thank you having day you too. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the Camfi twenty fire newsroom. A six month old boy and two women have been shot in South LA. The LAPD says they were in a parked car in Jefferson Park Saturday night when a car drove up someone inside opened fire. All three are recovering in the hospital and are in stable condition. Police have not made any arrests. A sixteen year old boy's been killed in a shooting at a house party in Woodland Hills. It was specifically rented out.
Speaker 4: It was a flyer party.
Speaker 1: There was dishrip via social media LAPD Lieutenant Guy Golan says about three hundred people were at the party early yesterday.
Speaker 9: During the course, some altercation occurred that resulted in gunfire.
Speaker 1: A lot of people fled. Six people were hurt in the shooting. Police say a bouncer or security guard was escorting the alleged shooter out after the fight when the guy started shooting at the dance floor and then took off. Artificial intelligence will be the main focus this week at a major summit in France. World leaders, executives and experts will be gathering in Paris for the AI Action Summit to hammer out strategies for the best guidelines to develop the technology. Vice President Vance will be there. It'll be his first trip abroad since taking office. And Starbucks is treating its customers after the big game.
Speaker 2: Whether your team won or loss. Yesterday, the coffee giant is helping out all its Rewards members by offering them a free talleror hot ice coffee today February tenth. The Starbucks promotion excludes Nitro cold Brew and regular cold Brew, as well as its Reserve coffee. The coupon will be available in store Arbucks Rewards members accounts. According to the company website. It can be applied in the Starbucks app or redeemed in person and is limited to only one per customer. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFI. Morning low clouds and some dense fog in areas, then sunny skies. Highs in the low sixties at the beaches Metro La and Inlan, Orange County, load to mid sixties in the Valley's in ie fifties to low sixties for the Antelope Valley. Overnight lows in the forties tonight, then partly cloudy, couple degrees cooler tomorrow. Light drizzle is expected to start falling by tomorrow night, heavy rain at times expected on Wednesday. Rain's going to continue through Friday, and then we should dry out for the weekend. It's fifty two in Dana Point, forty nine Long Beach, forty seven in Sherman Oaks, forty nine in Irvine. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.