Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Km AM sixty live everywhere on the iHeart Radio app. This is Later with mo Kelly and I am Twala Sharp filling in for mo Kelly. Happy to be with you for the next three hours. The crew is here, Foosh is in the building. What it do Ronner t any middle fingers today? Not for you, Bear, see here we go, Here we go, Here we go. You knows sporting of Ronner is going to stay because if you' that quick to call you Tola bear? What that's a term of affection. It is a term of endearment. Yes, that uh. Super producer Kayla, who is producing for me tonight, introduced to the building and Ronner just wants to make sure that you all know well. I maybe we're unaware of the influence she has over me. She's here today. She isn't often when we do our show, and I think it's because of her, her powerful presence that I had to say, Touala Bear.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that, Ronor.
Speaker 2: It's very true.
Speaker 3: I am pretty powerful and Twala is the best mayor in the world.
Speaker 2: I understand, best bear in the world. I love it. We are off to a fun start. And interestingly enough, Ronner, you came in and you were in very good spirits. So I take it that your trip in was not crazy or insane. No, I don't need to remind you that we had the Batan Death Drive there two ago and we I had to call and tell Krozer to be ready to do seven o'clock because I didn't think I was gonna make it. But and you had something similar, No, I had the exact similar. I literally thought I was going to have to just turn around and go home because I thought that there was no way on earth I would get here. And I thought the same was gonna happen today. I was ready for because not all schools are out on spring break yet, but at least my school where I work, we are on spring break, and I thought maybe there's some more schools that are off or not on the LAUSD calendar as well. So I was like preparing for spring break madness. But no, no, it's just me and it's actually not really a spring break. Because when I was thinking about it this morning, because I was dropping my daughter off, I said, wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. If your spring break is not the same as mine. That means all next week, while I'm off, I'm still gonna have to be getting up early in the morning to drop you off. Lucky you love that, don't man?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Look, let me tell you you're an early morning type. Not on any planet. There isn't even a planet that we know of in our solar system where I would get up in the morning. That planet doesn't exist, and it's sure enough doesn't exist on this year plan we're on. I am not a morning person. I ab whore getting up in the morning. I abhor the neighbors roosters that go off. What you have neighbors with roosters, I don't know where it's at, but you hear it in the distance, and it's when it's like real, real quiet out there, and you hear that in the distance. I feel like, is that on purpose? I don't want to initiate anything that's going to get you into trouble, but I'll just say, you know, those roosters are some good eating and if they if they if they go missing rooster meat, I don't know, Yeah, try it, try it with some some breading and uh and and and deep trying a nice rooster meat sounds well, the neighbors try the neighbors pets, is what I'm suggesting. Neighbor does come up missing, we all know that it was by way of the suggestion and supreme influence of Mark Rona. My hands are clean. Okay, talking about the roads, I was looking at a few stories on the way in that has to do with our drive, our commute, and just being in veal here in southern California, because this is not the East Coast where you can hop a train and get anywhere you want without the use of a car. No. Out here, we rely on cars. And it's interesting because in a state where at one point our sunsets were beautiful only because of the small caused by cars, it seems here in California, California's clean air vehicle detail program could soon be coming to an end. So my question, first of all, is will that mean that people are just no longer going to care about clean air vehicles? Who knows, but the clock is running out on California's clean air vehicle decal program. You may have seen these colorful stickles stickers. They're on the back of vehicles that are riding in the HOV lanes. Well, the program allows vehicles that meet specific emission standards to use the car pool lanes regardless of occupancy if you have that sticker. Now, it seems that with the passing of AB two sixty seven, a bill authorized by someone who hates driving and hates cars, a similar member, Greg Wallace, who must be from the East Coast, they are going to be bringing this program to an end. Now, look, it may not be mister Wallace's fault all together, but really and truly, this is something I think to myself, mister Wallace, if you want us to continue to have clean air and really abide by these clean air standards that have to be maintained by getting those stickers, then you need to keep the program going. Good sir, You need to keep the program going or it's going to be back to us having those beautiful deep red smoggie sunsets. Now, they used to be beautiful growing up, they really were. I did not know that we were literally breathing in tar. I didn't know. And that's gotten better since we started practicing clean emissions and all that kind of good stuff. So whatever that may be coming to an end, but also also also So California is exploring getting rid of the gas tax and replacing it with a road charge program. And I know, Mark, I saw your eyebrows furrow a little bit. Well, I was thinking, have you seen these side by side photographs of the sky in La then and now and then? How insanely different it is? Yes, yes, I don't want to go back to the Then why would anybody? Because there are certain people who just they they can't see the force for the trees going to be able to and you're you're not gonna be able to see the buildings, for the cement or the bricks. Because if you get rid of these programs and say you want to take away all the incentives for car sells and all those things, that's going to change and that's going to change the climate. When we start exploring ways to get rid of the gas tats and instead put charges on roads, making it where because we are driving everywhere where. This also is going to add to this thing called small and it's gonna make it really really hard to drive. But the biggest thing, the biggest story that I saw having to do with driving, and it's actually more having to do with parking. And this is a story. When I saw it, I said to myself, big whoop. You deserve it if your department goes under. And I'm sorry if you are a meter person. But right now in Los Angeles, there is a huge issue happening within the meter collection realm okay, right now, meter collections are down, and it has a lot to do with the COVID programs which said, like, look, man, park wherever you need to, We're not going to be sending meter people after you. Yes, and a lot of money went away. But right now, right now, it seems that the collection of parking fines and giving out tickets has gone down to the point where now department, the department is in danger. There's a lot of meter people who are retired, rightfully, so get out of here. Meter people. You can't call you meter maids anymore. No, they're meter people, meter humans. They're meter humans. They are no longer maids because they are not serving us unless they are serving us a healthy dose of blank. You you blank, and meter person, let me tell you not stand Look. I'm sorry, look meater people, I'm just telling you that you have quite possibly the most hated position on planet Earth. You are exactly right You've got to have some healthy self esteem to go into the meter human profession, because is there anybody on earth that people are less happy to see when you show up. Apart from like a dentist or a process server, nobody's happy to see you. They are awful people.
Speaker 3: I was leaving Target actually yesterday, and a guy was scanning my license plate and I said, I'm leaving.
Speaker 2: I'm leaving. He's like, I'm not stop you. You're going to get a.
Speaker 3: Ticket in the mail.
Speaker 2: You. This is why when I read that they are are are suffering financially and that you know the meter department is under danger. Look you know what, Take the whole building and demolish it. Okay, take all those little white cars and put self driving taxi signs on the top of them, and let's get more cars on the road taking us to and fro and maybe won't have to park. Because I promise you this. The very next time I hear someone tell me I'm sorry, I'm already in the process of writing it. The tickets got to go. I won't lose my mind. I do. I cannot stand the meter profession. I don't even know why they created other than to piss us off here in southern California, because I don't know anywhere else in the country where anyone faces this level of meter harassment. You have to wonder about the psychological profile that they look for in meter patrol people, because you know, with like Delta Force or CIA or something. They you know, they look for orphans that kind of thing. What kind of person becomes a meter human. They probably look for people who have on their resume. I'm okay with kicking puppies. You're so, Lord Mercy. It's KFI AM six forty Live everywhere all the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Kfive AM six forty Live everywhere all the iHeart Radio app. This is Later with Moe Kelly. I'm twilet sharp in for bo Kelly. And if you think Mo has an issue with beaches and the water and whatnot, hold my beer because Mo is someone who would get out on a cruise over the open water. Me, up until going on my first cruise with Moe and his family, I would not get out over dark water for anything. I don't even like getting into a swimming pool and looking down at the deep end. I don't know if it was a traumatic Jaws watching when I was a kid. I have no idea where it came from. But I don't like deep dark water. I don't like deep water period. Okay, And no, I can't swim, so that could have like some sway in my feelings. But even still here in southern California, the notion of getting in this poop filled water is next to insanity. Okay, next to insanity when you are dealing with poop tides and all the filth that is in our water here. The water here in southern California is not brown because it's dirty. It's brown because of what's going down, all the wasted bacteria that just flows into our ocean. How do we know, because once again, this is almost every weekend where health officials are warning us against ocean water at several beaches across southern California, Los Angeles, Orange County. All that you might as well just say stay out of the water. Don't say this beach and that beach, but this beach over here is okay, No, just stay out of the water, okay, Believe it or not, The ocean water isn't supposed to be a dark, opaque, filthy color. Okay. I've been to Miami and I've seen the blue green beaches. I've been to islands in Puerto Rico and Jamaica where the water is clear you can see down to the sand all the way through, and it's like, that's what ocean water's supposed to look like, nothing floating in it? Is that the official Noah term for it. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration poop tides, poop tides. Yeah, poop tides. Okay, they have adopted poop tides. And it's not seaweed that's catching your leg concern. It's the filthy poop beach. Okay. The La County Department of Health has issued warnings for beaches from Mother's Beach of Marina del Rey all the way over to Los Floria State Beach is Santa Monica. Look, just all of the beaches. Stay out of the water. Now for me and my beach water conspiratorial mind, that there may be something else going on in the water because these blue green waters that people are like, oh my god, the water is blue and it's green and it's glowing, glowing, beach water is not a good thing. I know. People say, no, it's it's the it's when the algae and the after effect of the water. No, no, no, no, keep your scientific reasoning out of here. I don't want to hear it. If you want to go out and get in that blue green algae water that's obviously obviously having a connection with all these seals and sea lions that are coming up on the shores and just see and literally they're staring at the water. Okay, when you have sea creatures on a beach and they would rather sit on the beach rather than go back in the water, I don't want to hear your rational because you know what, if you don't speak actual seal, all you're doing is guessing. Okay, these are guesses and a hypothesis of why the seals and all these creatures along the beaches right now are staying out of the water and we're having all these deep fish, deep water fish floating up and all this kind of stuff. Welles getting beach because they're choking on the filth in the water out here, and they don't like it. It is grotesque. Okay, they still don't even know what to do with all these beech seal lions and mountains or sea lions and seals that are Huntington Beach and Manhattan Be's. They're all over in the beaches over in Orange County. It's where they're all hanging out, and they're looking at the water and they're barking saying hell no, you hear they're saying, hell no, that's what they're saying about the water. Okay, but imagine this. Imagine this here in southern California with our water where the bacteria levels pure bacteria, which is way too high for any human to go into. Imagine that water coming at you one hundred plus miles an hour. Imagine a tsunami of poop. Keep your mouth closed, keep your mouth closed, and your cheeks tight, because when a tsunami hit Southern California, it's not gonna be poop tis. It's gonna be a poop nami. A poop nami. Yes. Right now, officials are cautioning residents to check whether they live in a tsunami zone ahead of Tsunami Preparedness Week. Yes, there's actually a week starting tomorrow all the way through next week is Tsunami Preparedness Week here in southern California. And yes, the chances of a tsunami hitting us anytime soon are probably, you know, next to zero. But but but all these little mini earthquakes that we've been having that everyone wants to laugh at, Oh twalla, the earthquakes. What if we have one in the water that we just can't feel, all right, our little meters don't go off, and that water sets off the tsunami, okay, and sends that poop coming at you one hundred plus miles an hour, a liquid code brown. Nobody wants this. Nobody wants it. Mark, I mean, there's no way you're gonna want to clean up the beaches. California will be done if we get hit with the tsunami. And it's interesting that they say, you know, make sure you are monitoring and checking if you live in a tsunami area, because what are you gonna do. What are you gonna do for tsunami week? Are you gonna pack up and move somewhere? No, No, go inland the beaches.
Speaker 3: You see the waves going the opposite way, You get in your car, you head to the there there's.
Speaker 2: No places to stay right now, right now, those of us who've been impacted by eating in the palisades. Were already staying everywhere, so there's no order for people to go. Okay, that's fair. Well, remember when you were a child and you would make fun of relatives who kept the plastic covering on counches. Ye, leave it on, Just leave it on if you're if you're in the area, if you're in one of these areas. Yeah, yeah, but now you can go on and check. I did not grab the website, but you can go on and check if you do live in one of these tsunami areas. I believe it's not tsunami dot Com. It's not. It's not our uh producer, Kayla, it's not. I thought it was, and I think I accidentally deleted it where you could go and check. I'm talking and stalling so I can give you time to look it up. If you didn't know that, Kayla, Yes, I know you're taching it. Did somebody rush right in and hog tsunami dot Com so that the legit people couldn't have it? Maybe? Maybe because it's If Kala says that is tsunami dot Com, I will fall out. Got this great idea for a restaurant. Guess what we're gonna call it.
Speaker 3: It is conservation dot c a dot gov slash CGS slash unami slash maps. Boom bam, that's kind of a mouthful tsunami dot com.
Speaker 2: So I'm sure I'll take you there as well. Love it camfi AM six forty. We are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And yesterday we talked about possibly moving to Disney's Villa in the Coachella area and no, none of us can afford it. But but but thanks to Fanny May, we may actually be able to get ourselves into a condo right now. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but with the way I'm looking at this where it says that Fanny May's blacklist has four hundred and thirty eight California communities with availabilities, I'm thinking that we may have something. So we'll look into that.
Speaker 1: On the other side, you're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Tawala Sharp filling in for Mo Kelly. Mark, I know that you are are in the market for a place. Well, I'm kind of looking in when the right place comes along that I can afford and live indoors, and then I'll jump yeah, super producer, Kayla, are you still looking? Are you comfortable where you're at?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I love my place. I'm very comfortable for now. Yeah. What about you, Foosh? You comfortable yet comfortable? Yeah? Yeah, you see that that response was a little uncomfortable, that I'm comfortable, a bit lackluster. Yes, in fact, he's lying. I'm declaring in the hostile witness that that was not a comfortable response, like to get I'd like to be a homeowner. But okay, comfortable, Okay, okay, okay, cool, cool. I figure that you and I know hell Uh, being from and growing up in and and living in the Pasadena altad the area, I can tell you this, every single person that I know growing up UH is looking for a place right. There are many who would like they would love the opportunity to stay in Altadena. And there are so many different initiatives, so many different groups working within the Altadena area to help rebuild the city, to help people stay in their homes with everyone who wants to that can I mean, I went to a kind of a town hall so to speak put on by none other than Beyonce. Beyonce and her mother they have an organization that they have started called be Good, and this organization right now, they have been doing God's work here in southern California. And while acknowledging the need in Palisades, what touched Beyonce and her mother the most is the destruction of Altadena and the history of Alta Dina and it's relevance in southern California for black home ownership and the like. And neither of them are from Pasadena. Yes, they're in Texas, and there is a Pasadena, Texas, but neither of them are from the city. All right. But when they saw the destruction and they saw what was happening, they came together and they said, we are going to put our own money. We are going to use our pool. No one is telling Beyonce no. Okay, they may tell Twalao, but no one is telling Beyonce no. So Beyonce's gonna go out and get the money. She's gonna go out and get the money. She's gonna go out and get the resources, and she's gonna have people coming together and we are going to help this city. Every which way that we can. And what I saw them do just for this town hall and for everyone that was in there was nothing short of miraculous. Okay, I've seen a lot of politicians on the West Coast talk about what they're going to do for whether it be Eaten or the Palisades, and I've seen little to nothing happen. The movement has been slow as far as what it should be in my estimation. But to see someone like Beyonce and her mother come out and say, here's what we're doing. We are going to keep our word and we are going to take care of all of you. What I saw again in there was nothing short of amazing. And I've met Beyonce. I don't know how many times Microraft had her on concerts, had it on shows and off air. I'll even tell you a funny personal Beyonce story. But yes, I can never say anything bad about Beyonce, not because of what she did for my family. And this is non sponsorship, this is not getting paid to say anything good about beyond just just hit my mind. As I'm looking at the availability of condos by way of Fanning made it just hit me about what Beyonce has done for or us in the Altadta area and what she's doing here in southern California. I'm like, she doesn't know any of us, She doesn't know any of us, doesn't have to do anything, but still it's stepping up to do so. So I never had anything bad to say about Beyonce, but you will never hear a crossword come out of my mouth ever about her or her mother, because they are about it. And they didn't have cameras there, They didn't have, you know, a bunch of press there. You know that Tina knows. She came out, she said, hey, look, Yonce wants to be here, but she is preparing for a tour where she is. But here's what we're doing right now. And it was like one of those like man, everyone in there was crying because of what they did. And So when I think about that, and I think about how how hard it is right now for just those of us here in southern California to even fathom owning a home, it's almost as if this this state is set up for us to not own a home. It's almost set up for us to stay in an apartment forever, because apartments, most every apartment is on a monthly basis, it's costing you what you could be putting towards a house, but none of us can get together enough to put down on the house to get out of the apartment in the first place. So it's like this rat race that we're in this this situation where it's just it is rubbing two nickels together. Here in southern California is rough, And I get it. I know, I know cost of living is a lot cheaper elsewhere. When when I was in Eerie and they were charging US nine hundred and fifty dollars a month for a palatial estate, it was like one of those like every time I pay this year, I was like, I feel like I'm gonna get in trouble, Like the police are gonna come and say you've been living in a drugg den and you know this house is being uh they're using this to funnel money through. I just I said to myself, this is crazy how much it costs to buy a house in southern California. And yes, Fannie May, they have this blacklist where where good news there is an inventory of available properties for sale, and that inventory list has grown. The bad news again is that these properties are still touting their highest prices ever with the highest interest rates ever in heavy buyer competition, because land's is finite here in southern California, all the deserts are not build it out there. They're just building up in areas like that. So yes, fat he may have more places in and they may have places available. But Mark, if you had the opportunity right now to move into a place that could cost you some six seven thousand a month, are you doing that tomorrow? Or I'd be living in my car. And in fact, do you remember when we spoke last night off the air, I told you that I'd been looking into people living in their cars, and more and more people who are working full time are forced to live in their cars because of how insanely expensive how and you can't rule out the factor of a private equity buying up real estate and houses. In LA nearly twenty thousand people are living in their cars right now, right now, right now, people who have full time jobs, well that's not all full time job, but it's nearly forty percent of the homeless. There are people living in their cars in LA. Cars. I'm telling you that there are people that I personally know who have full time jobs. Okay, these are not you know, don't hear what we're saying and think, well, they got to do better than working at McDonald's. No, no, no, no, no no. I know people who are working within the high fives and the low to mid sixes and they have decided to just tough it out, live in their car. Yeah, membership and that's what it's going to be. And there are no accidents. This is not a thing that just happened by accident. Going ahead. I just I'm reading multiple things at the same time here, Yeah, trying to wrap my head around this. But the fact that you work a full time job and you can't live in a house seems absolutely through the looking glass insane to me. Yeah. And it's like when I saw this list of condo availabilities, you know, published by La Daily News and the reporting on what Fannie May's organization is put out, and I'm like, hey, this is great, this is great, but this information is literally it's not even worth the paper that is printed on because not a single one of us who all work full time jobs. I work two full time jobs, and it's one of those things where still here in southern California. We cannot go out and buy a house. Well, here's the thing. We know that roughly sixty five percent of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, which in and of itself is a little hard to swallow, not that I don't believe it, but that it shouldn't be. And so you get into this trap where let's say you have to move into a place where the average rent here is three grand a month. That doesn't leave a lot of working people a lot of money left over to save and put away. And then when you factor in that a huge percentage of Americans don't have an extra thousand dollars for an emergency expense. You're not buying a house. You're not buying a house. And if you do, then that's all you have. You don't have anything in that house. You're no longer driving your car. You are walking to work because every dime you make is going into the house. And and n you talking about a small house three thousand a month, you're talking about a very very small house. And most apartments right now like they're looking at like thirty five hundred force for a one bedroom, one bath. I'm like the ooh, almost made me curse, all right, don't do that. No KFI AM six before I gotta go. Coodell Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM sixty.
Speaker 2: KFI AMN six Live everywhere all of the iHeartRadio app. This is Later with Moe Kelly. Tuil a sharp producer of Later with Mo Kelly holding it down for Mo. He will be back on Monday. I hope he gets a rested weekend after filling in for Bill Handle and hopefully, hopefully it's knock on some wood here he is not called to fill in on Monday or the rest of reason. I think Chris Merrill is filling in, or maybe Savadra one of them. Look, someone will be will be in for Handle and Mo will be back on Monday, and we'll be back to it next week. We will have the name that could classic movie game tonight. We do not We do not have a run a report, We do not have a Friday Nights with Nautica. We just have you and me together for the next couple hours intimate, yes, touch your radio yourself all right, look and talking about housing and the situation. Now to Dina. I almost forgot that. There are a couple of things I did want to make sure you were aware of. One is that FEMA has extended the deadline to apply for wildfire disaster assistance up until Monday the thirty first. All right, Monday, March thirty first is the absolute ind date deadline to apply for FEMA assistance. To apply for an SBA loan, find yourself a FEMA help center and make sure you apply. If you are a victim from either the Palisades or Eaten wildfire, or any of the wildfires that ran through southern California in January, please please please apply. You can go online and at Disaster Assistance dot gov, which is the fastest option. You can use the FEMA app available at the App Store or at Google Play. You can call the female helpline at eight hundred six two one three three six two. Once again, the FEMA helpline is eight hundred six two one three three six two. Or you can visit a Disaster Recovery center and for locations, you can visit DRC location or DRC locator. I would say visit the Disaster Recovery center in person so you can have someone help you navigate the process because it is a lot. There's a lot of red tape, a lot of bureaucracy, and if you don't have someone on the inside helping you find your way out, it can be daunting. Also, one more deadline before we end this hour. The deadline is approaching for fire victims to choose debre removal methods. A residence impacted by the Palisades and eat wildfire have until the same FEMA date, March thirty first, to decide how they will remove debried from their properties. Now, our Mayor Karen Bass is urging all homeowners impacted by the Palisades fire to opt into debris removal through the US Army Corps of Engineers, which is free. Bass is also announcing a new emergency Executive Order to help expedite the rebuilding process and to protect against future disasters. And that's great. Whatever you do, make sure you choose a method now. We do not want you to be stuck trying to take care of that yourself. I promise you it is. It is insane. And I am happy to announce that I was recently in in my neighborhood. The other day. We were going about and trying to help, not help, but we were going through our place and cleaning out stuff or really throwing away a lot of stuff. Had to go through that kitchen, and god, that was a task. And that's just the first room, going through and clean out that fridge with all that stuff that had spoiled, all the stuff, and it was it was horrible. And so that was a thing. But while there, I saw trucks moving NonStop. These big trucks were hauling debris up and down the street, and it was really amazing to see. And there was construction crews around the corner from but I can see, I can see all the way around the corner, and now I can see all the way onto the next block over them excavating and digging out the debris and getting rid of it. And I believe right now on our block, I believe there's what four maybe five houses that have been cleared away. And seeing that and seeing these places just stripped away, I wish I had just had a time lapsed camera that could just put in just sitting and it could just record all of the taking away and then you know, eventually the rebuilding. But it is an amazing thing to see just make sure you're not the one paying for a debris removal. Contact the US Army Corps of Engineers and set your date to have them come and help you with that remove or not help you, but get rid of it because you don't want to do it yourself. I promise you that I'll have some information on that in the newscast at the top of the hour. Is it true in your observation that things are going faster than predicted? Yes, absolutely, absolutely, shockingly shock The first I thought it was going to go super slow, just looking at the landscape and what they had to do. But seeing how quickly they've gotten through these houses, even just r street, it is amazing. It is amazing how quickly they are moving. That's impressive and a little scrutiny will tend to light a fire under your seat. Yes, yes, right under your ass. Thank you, Thank you for that. This is KFI AM six forty Life Everywhere on the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 1: The more you know, the easier it is to avoid the idiots around you. Ks Im kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Live Everywhere on the the OS