Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: We're doing right now by one of In fact, you know what, I'm gonna take that back. The best third base coaching all a Major league baseball. I don't want to disrespect him, and that is the one and only Dino Ebel. Dino, thanks a lot for the time, and I'm sorry for that mistake.
Speaker 3: Always, Dave, thank you, thank you for that, and I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You do so much homework before the game's deno you even start to look at the analytical things as far as probability. I'm not sure people realize how much work goes into being prepared at third base.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just part of it.
Speaker 4: Again. It's you know, back in the day when I first.
Speaker 1: Started this, we just did a lot of video, a lot of eyes in field outfield. I have to stay out and watch these guys do their throwing. But with the help now upstairs sending down analytical stuff, it gives me outprobabilities, percentages, fast runner, below average runner, plus runner, the speed of the outfield or the arms. So all that is involved in my decision making before we started series.
Speaker 4: And you know what, I love it.
Speaker 1: It's the game is evolving to that in uh and in the ability to give me more information to help me make decisions. And again, the heartbeat is the heartbeat my eyes. In the game, I might see something that guy goes to his left or right, or the grass slows it down. Those are you know, they're the situation, to the scoreboard, the innings, all that plays a part of it when I make that decision.
Speaker 3: But yes, you're right, it's just.
Speaker 1: Not standing out at third and just telling the runner to stop and go. There's always a process behind the decision that I make.
Speaker 2: What about checking in with the player each and every day. I mean, certainly certain guys are banged up more than others on certain days. How much of the communication before the game happens that is?
Speaker 3: That is a great question, and that's huge for me.
Speaker 1: The trainers usually come up and give me a little alert that hey, so and so today's legs are tight and that, and that comes into consideration late in the game. Now, you know, there might be a play late in the game and I stop a runner and then you know I.
Speaker 4: Have to here maybe and I you know, again, the.
Speaker 1: Fans or fans and I love him, They might say, why didn't Deno send him? They don't know what happens before games and what information I have that's between me and the players. And again, long i'd rather have a player not you know, send a guy and he scores or he's out.
Speaker 3: Or lose him for two weeks or three weeks because his legs.
Speaker 1: Are bothering him and I had to send him. That's just part of the process and I get it. So, Yes, that's a huge part of being a third base coach, knowing who's good and who's you know, so so for that day.
Speaker 2: The game never gets too fast on Dino Ebol, Dodgers' third base coach. You this year are the outfield coach for the Dodgers. You've put in a lot of time with Andy Paz. What can you say about his work ethic to get better and to be the player that he is today.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's the credit goes to Andy because he is He has a routine. Now, he's understanding the process of coming out every day and trying to I tell him take away hits because they're going to take away you know, his hits. When he hits a line drive, somebody dives and takes away hit where you you know, get a little mad about that and go take somebody else's hits. And that's what he's doing. Andy's a great athlete. He's young, he's got great ability for this game. I mean, he's, for me right now, one of the best outfielders in the game. Everybody knows now he's a power arm in the outfield. So he has put a lot of time into this. He wants to be the best. I think his goals he won't tell me, but I'm pretty sure he wants to be an All Star and that's that is a great goal. And you know, being in a World Series game, that experience he had last year, confidence and just motivating him. And he wants to hear the back too. So when he makes mistakes, he comes to me right away and.
Speaker 3: We try to correct it. So a lot of credit goes to Andy on the performance that he's doing so far this year.
Speaker 2: Do you know fear to say you issued a challenge and he accepted the challenge absolutely.
Speaker 4: This guy wants to be challenged.
Speaker 1: He doesn't like today, you know, he has an off day, but he still got in his work, so he's going to be ready.
Speaker 4: If Dave needs him late in the game.
Speaker 1: He knows that, Hey, anything that he can do to help the team win, he's all in. But I tell you what, working with him, you know last year and years before, I'm the infield guy.
Speaker 4: Now being in the outfield, and.
Speaker 1: Give credit to Tail. Tails took him under his wing. They talk all the time. Everybody sees it. So again the credit goes to the players. I'm just there for a little bit of background and if he needs help, I'm there to help him.
Speaker 2: Dodger's third base coach Diino Ebel is our guest. Pretty soon he's going to be referred to as Brady Eble's dad, because Brady certainly has made a name for himself in high school baseball and it's going to be eligible for the major league draft coming up in July. Where are things that with Brady? How how as a dad are you handling all this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 1: It's the first time I've gone through this process, and it's day to day now. Brady's going through a lot of stuff. One finished high school and two to get better and then you know, you look forward to.
Speaker 4: The major league drafts.
Speaker 3: So he's excited.
Speaker 1: You know, everyone knows he's committed to the LSU, which is a great baseball program. But I know my sons.
Speaker 3: They live in brief baseb They love.
Speaker 4: The game, and when that day comes.
Speaker 1: July thirteenth, I don't know if Dad is going to be nervous. I think just more anxious and more excited. You know, we live the game and I'm prepared for it whatever which way he decides to go, but it'll be it's going to be an exciting day for the Evil family.
Speaker 2: You and your wife Shannon have got to be really proud of both Trey and Brady the way they've handled so much attention.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I think you know they're more advanced seventeen sixteen year olds growing up in the major league clubhouse and being around.
Speaker 3: These athletes, elite players.
Speaker 1: Going back to the Angels and Dodgers, they've learned so much and you can see it. I can see it when I step back and watch them when they're working with Mooki or Rojas or Kei k or Freddie Freeman. They're down watching them ahead and taking ground balls. I just sit back as a dad and enjoy it because there's nothing better for me to have player to player.
Speaker 3: Relationship and them learning from the.
Speaker 1: Best players in the world at this level and their age. That's why I think it's going to be exciting on July thirteenth to see where Brady goes.
Speaker 2: All Right, Dino, thanks a lot for the time we refer to you as the Dodgers third base coach today. But maybe next time.
Speaker 4: Brady's dad I like it. I hope, so, I hope he.
Speaker 1: I'm pulling for Brady Entrey next year. He's gonna be involved, so I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.