Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 1: O JFI Radio.
Speaker 3: This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 4: Please call station for a voice check station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 3: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 2: And it's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 1: And his name is Amy k.
Speaker 5: Here's Amy Kings.
Speaker 1: It is five over one. This is your wake up call for Tuesday, March fourth. I'm Amy King. Good morning. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app. Happy to have you along this very exciting Tuesday. Gotta tell you we got Eglitz. I'm watching the camera. I'm actually behind on my show prep for today because we've been watching the eagles high above Big Bear Lake. Jackie and Shadow laid three eggs. One is completely hatched and he's a little fluffball. And then the other one. I just got to look at it about half hour ago, and he's about half out of his shell. The shell's completely cracked and he's pretty much out. So we're gonna be actually talking to Sandy Steers with friends of Big Bear Valley. They're the ones who put that camera up in the nest so we can watch this miracle of nature. And we're talking to her at five thirty, so we hope you'll stick around for that. Also, another big day, it's free pancake Day at IHO.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, oh yeah, cake Day.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's pancake Day. I love pancakes. I think Carla the editor said, Oh, I made pancakes for dinner last night to celebrate pancake Day. And I'm like, you know what, that sounds good. I think that's a great idea. Okay, here's what's ahead on wake up Call. Thirty officers at the Los Padrino's Juvenile Detention Facility have been charged for their involvement in gladiators style fights between kids at the detention center. State ag rob Bonte says nearly seventy fights happened between July and December of twenty twenty. Three kids between twelve and eighteen were involved. The AG says the officers allowed and even encouraged the fights. California Democratic Senator Adam Schiff is bringing a firefighter with him to President Trump's speech before a joint session of Congress. Captain Vincent Culliver is a veteran firefighter with the Department of Defense at Vandenberg Space Force Space and helped fight the wildfire and out to Dina. ABC's Karen Travers going to tell us what the President plans to talk about tonight, and also about the tariffs that just went into effect overnight and how other countries are responding to it. As I mentioned, an eaglet has landed. The first of three bald eagle eggs is completely out, the second one is almost there, and then we're waiting to see if the third one is going to hatch. And again we'll be talking with Sandy at Friends of Big Bear Valley coming up at the bottom of the hour, doom spending, What is it? Are you doing it? And should you be? The host of How to Money on KFI. Joel Larsgard is going to tell us all about that. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Former LA fire chief Kristin Crowley is expected to ask for her job back today.
Speaker 5: The city charter says she has the right to appeal her firing by Mayor bass, but she'll need ten of fifteen members of the City council to take her side. Crowley filed her appeal last week. The vote has been fast tracked and the council will take it up today. Four council members have publicly supported bast firing of the fire chief over the mayor's belief that Crowley wasn't prepared or communicative leading up to the Palisades fire. A fifth council member has supported the mayor's right to fire the chief. Crowley would need to run the table on the other ten to be reinstated. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Michael's gonna have live coverage throughout the day from La City Hall. The La City Council is also set to vote on a proposal to provide eviction protections for nannies, gardeners, and others impacted financially by the wildfires in January. The proposal's aim is to provide a defense for non payment of rent and no fault evictions for renters who can show proof of economic hardship because of the fires. City council was split on proposed protections last month. The Department of Justice has announced the dismantling of a human smuggling ring in La and the indictment of four alleged smugglers. Acting US Attorney Joseph McNally yesterday said the alleged ring leader is Eduardo Domingo Renault, which they held individuals smuggled hostage for months, threaten them and their family members with violence, and others, including children, were killed in a horrific car crash in Oklahoma in twenty twenty three. McNally says those deaths make Renoj Matoul and other members of his alleged gang eligible for the death penalty. The so called Turco transnational criminal organization operated out of La smuggling undocumented Guatemalan nationals to Phoenix in other parts of the country. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jordana Miller, who is in Jerusalem. Jordana, the Arab countries do not like President Trump's idea to clear out the Gaza Strip and rebuild it as the riviera of the Middle East and relocate all the Palestinians. So apparently they're going to put together a plan of their.
Speaker 6: Own, that's right, and they're working on that today. Out of Cairo, there's an Arab summit underway, and it's likely this is being led by the Egyptians, by the way, It's likely they're going to put on the table a plan for regional governance of the Gaza Strip that is some kind of technocratic government made up of different leaders either Egypt, Jordan, maybe some of the Palestinians, but not local Palestinians, and you know, support to train a police force that could come in. Right. The whole idea is, you know, with this ceasefire, we need to you know the world needs to see hamas step aside. Right, they can't be running the Gaza Strip. They can't have a you know, their own military or army that competes with the official army of the Gaza Strip. So the Arab States are going to put that on the table, and you know, as an altarlternative to what they see as a very radical plan by President Trump that they want to avoid, certainly because it also includes the displacement of so many Palestinians.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like two million of them. And where that's right.
Speaker 6: Where are you going to put it and where would they exactly exactly and more than that, you know, we don't talk about this amy, but President Trump's plan you know, when you think it through in the bigger picture, what it really does is it takes the Gaza strip out of any future Palestinian state. And that's very problematic, not only for the Palestinians, but for the region, you know, because then what is already considered a small area that is being divided between Israel and the Palestinians, right, the West Bank Israel proper and Gaza. Take Gaza out of it, you're left with just the West Bank and eas to read.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and Jordana, I have a question for you. Do most of the Arab countries support that two state solution idea that everybody talks about.
Speaker 6: They do they do that? You know, the Arab or you know, the air world by and large supports a two state solution that is Jordan, Egypt, the Amoradis, the Baharinis, the Saudis, and they say even you know, as far as the Kingdom, the Saudi Kingdom is concerned. They don't want to normalize ties with Israel unless there is a path to statehood for the Palestinians. I mean, the only people in the region who still support, you know, an extreme agenda where Israel basically doesn't exist and you know, the Palestinians try to take back all of Israel, right, that chant from the river to the sea. That sadly, so many young smart Americans say on on campuses that they don't understand what they're chanting for.
Speaker 7: Is know Israel?
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 6: The only ones who support that are Hamas, Husbalalah isis Aroan, right, all the bad players in the region who are still interested in trying to you know, wipe out Israel or you know, or render it, you know, a country with little power here in the region. But you know, the tide for for a while now, the tide has been changing, not only would the Oslo piece of Cords, but with the Abraham Accords. And President Trump has made it clear he wants to make peace between Israel and Saudi Arabia. And on that road, he has to solve the problem in Gaza. He has to get Hamas out and he's asking the region to come up with solutions to get them out.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: So that's what we're seeing.
Speaker 1: Okay, And and they're meeting this week. Do you I mean, are they going to come up with a quick answer and say here, President Trump, here is our option, or is this going to be something that this is just the starting of the conversation.
Speaker 6: What we do anticipate they're going to put out some kind of joint statement after the summit. It may you know, it be could come tomorrow, Okay, watching we will see, Yeah, yeah, we'll be watching for it and hopefully it'll you know, something will will give so that we can move We also, you know, the ceafire talks are stuck right now, so we also have to get those going again. But we expect Steve Woodcoff, President Trump's envoy to come here to the region after the State of the Union address sometime later in the week, perhaps the weekend.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jerdona Miller Injurusalem, thank you so much, appreciate the information as always.
Speaker 7: Thanks Jamie.
Speaker 1: All Right, that's up too, but you got it. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A Republican assemblyman says he's been kicked off the California Budget Committee for shining a light on what he calls questionable spending. San Diego Assemblyman Carl Demiel told kfi's John Cobelt yesterday that his goal is to bring an end to the misuse of tech dollars.
Speaker 4: What we're doing is working with outside whistleblowers, outside resources, outside investigators, and the very hard working but limited staff I have in my Assembly office to do this work.
Speaker 1: Demayo says he found the state budget allocated twenty five million dollars to a COVID program, but says the money is going to special interest groups instead. The Trump administration has paused military aid to Ukraine, days after President Zelenski's intense meeting with President Trump and Vice President Vance at the White House.
Speaker 7: Your country is in big trouble. I know you're not winning all You're not winning this.
Speaker 1: Trump has directed the US to pause all assistance to Ukraine as he tries to pressure Zelenski to engage in peace talks with Russia. Trump criticized Olenski yesterday for saying that the end of the war is still likely, very very far away. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth says the army post in Georgia that was previously known as Fort Benning and then changed to Fort Moore is now Fort Benning again. ABC Stephen Portnoys's com Ungriss retired the name four years ago.
Speaker 2: Rather than honoring a Confederate Brigadier general the Benning now being honored was a hero of World War One. Corporal Fred Benning was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his action in France in nineteen eighteen.
Speaker 1: He says the change follows a similar move by Hegseeth to rename Fort Bragg in North Carolina. The Brag now honored received the Silver Star for service in World War II. Forever twenty one says it's falling on hard times as more people are buying clothes online. ABC's Alex Stone says, once synonymous with early two thousand's fashion, the chain is closing its corporate headquarters in La.
Speaker 9: Forever twenty one has suffered as it's tried to compete with online Chinese discount retailers like Timu.
Speaker 2: The company is hoping to be bought to avoid his second bankruptcy.
Speaker 1: Stone says three hundred and fifty workers in La will be laid off next month. Federal prosecutors in Los Angeles, Santa Ana, and Riverside have charged one hundred and twenty six people for coming back to the US after they were deported thirty s Many the defendants had previously been convicted of felonies before being deported, including manslaughter and crimes against children. The City of Huntington Beach has been sued for restricting access to books at city run public libraries. The suit was filed by two teens, a transgender advocacy group, and the ACLU of Southern California. Huntington Beach City Council passed a resolution in twenty twenty three to restrict certain library materials to miners if they don't have the consent of their parent or guardian. By the year twenty fifty, a new report predicts that more than half of adults around the world will be obese. The analysis in The Lancet also predicts a third of children will be overweight. Experts warn if the trends don't change, the impact on health and an economy will be well massive. At six oh five, it's handled on the news. President Trump has just made things a whole lot more difficult for Ukraine's ability to fight Russia. Bill's going to tell you about that right now. Let's say good morning to ABC sees Karen Travers. Karen, President Trump says the tariffs against Mexico and Canada are in effect.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they went into effect at midnight last night. This is a twenty five percent tariff on all products coming into the US from Mexico and Canada. And he also added another ten percent tariff on top of what had already existed on Chinese goods. So that's just kind of adding to what had already been in place there, the President said yesterday. Tariffs are easy, they're fast, they're efficient, and they bring fairness. But economists are saying they're also likely to bring price increases for American consumers. That the cost for these American importers who are bringing things in from Mexico, Canada, and China, but especially Mexico and Canada, it's going to get passed on to Americans through pricing increases, and likely within days you could start seeing this at the grocery store because it's about half I think it is sixty three percent actually of our vegetables come into the US from Mexico. So you can't stockpile fresh vegetables get them in before the teriffs go into effect. And so when you in a week start bringing in stuff or in the next couple of days from Mexico, you're paying a twenty five percent text on top of that and they're going to pass that on and you know, just think about what that means for the products then that you're buying at the grocery store.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so, Karen, why are the tariffs now because didn't both Mexico and Canada do what President Trump said he wanted them to do, and that is start enforcing the border.
Speaker 10: They did something, but it wasn't enough, but it's also not clear what he actually wants them to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is enough border?
Speaker 10: I mean, they've been doing that, right, I mean, it's that's the thing. Canada is says they're very bewildered why they're being targeted on the fentanyl issue when less than one percent of the fentanyl that is seized coming into this country comes across the US Canada border, so it's not an issue at the northern border, and they say they don't know what they're supposed to be doing about that. I mean, it's just not the big thing there. They appointed a sentinel zar, which was you know, in some ways maybe optics, just to say, hey, we're doing something. Mexico sent ten thousand troops National Guard troops to their northern border and permanent capacity. The White House applauded that a month ago. But again the issue of what did the president want to see? We've asked this question numerous times. What metrics is he judging these countries? And the White House has not said okay.
Speaker 1: And then so we know at least why the President said he was going to do the terraffs on Mexico and Canada. And initially he announced ten percent on China, but then hood that to twenty percent. What's the beef with China just overall.
Speaker 10: Ten percent already on what had been ten percent, So he's just adding tarifs onto China because they already existed. These tarriffs on Mexico and Canada are new, completely new. China already had some, so he's just you know, increasing it on top of what's there. This is again just for the president. He says, this is about fairness. This is about countries not treating the US fairly in his view, and he uses terrorists, as he said, you know, as like a punishment tool that you know, these countries now can be punished by tariff.
Speaker 1: Okay. I would imagine that Trump's going to be talking about tariffs when he addresses the Joint Session of Congress tonight.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think this will be a part of his remarks on the economy, which is one of the four sections the White House says he will be zeroing in on. He'll talk about his record so far in office. He'll talk about the economy, he'll talk about border security and what the White House says are his plans for peace around the world.
Speaker 1: Okay, And we've heard that a lot of people are bringing guests as they normally do for the State of the Union address, even though this isn't a State of the Union. Do we know of who of the some of those people are going to be.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the White House just announced the President will have some guests in the first Lady's box, including Mark Fogeld, the American who's recently released from a Russian prison. They've also invited the family of Corey Compromatory, who the firefighter who was killed at the Butler Rally last summer.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then I know that we've got Adam Schiff is taking Space Force. No, he's not. He works at Space Force. I don't believe he's Maybe he is a guardian. But there's a firefighter who helped with the fires in southern California is going with our representative Adam Schiff. So I think a number of people are bringing special guests to make a political point.
Speaker 10: Yes, they will be.
Speaker 1: Okay. We have a lot of rumblings too. The Democrats are being encouraged to skip the speech. Do we know if that's going to happen.
Speaker 10: I don't. We haven't heard any you know, mass announcements of that.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 10: I think people are also planning to bring people and make points about federal firings and workforce reductions by the guests that they're going to bring. But I'm going to have to leave it there and jump.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so sorry, I didn't realize you had a heart out today, Karen Travers, thank you so much. Thank you all right, take care.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Governor Newsom is ordering state employees back to the office for at least four days a week. He signed an executive order yesterday that allows for telework flexibility on a case by case basis. The order also directs cal HR to streamline the hiring process for former federal employees who are looking for jobs in firefighting, forest management, and weather forecasting. The changes kick in in July. Weather experts in California are warning that recent budget cuts to the National Weather Service and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration could put people at risk. Eugene Cordero, with the Department of Meteorology and Climate Science at San Jose State University says the cuts are undermining science.
Speaker 8: We need to know when the rain's coming, how strong the winds are. Those are like critical pieces of information so that emergency responders have good data they can work and help save lives.
Speaker 1: The Trump administration is laid off more than six hundred employees from the agencies, raising concerns that some weather service offices that are staffed around the clock may close. LA County Sheriff's deputy say a teenager shot and killed in Willowbrook has been identified. The shooting happened just before midnight Friday. The boy died at the hospital. The Medical Examiner's office says the boy was fourteen year old Elijah Davenport. Sheriff's homicide investigators are asking for anyone with information about the shooting to give them a call. The laped says officers have shot a man who pointed a gun at them in Echo Park. The guys in the hospital in critical condition. Police were called yesterday to an area near the one oh one and Alvarado Street about a man with a mental illness who was carrying a handgun. It's not clear exactly what led up to the shooting. No officers were hurt. Jurors in the case of an Orange County judge accused of killing his wife have reached an impassed. Jurors told the judge they can't come to a unanimous decision on second degree murder charges against Jeffrey Ferguson. After three and a half days of deliberations, the judge asked them to keep working. Ferguson says he shot his wife by accident during an argument. The jury could convict him of second degree murder or involuntary manslaughter, or, of course, could have quit him. The state has indicted dozens of officers at a juvenile facility in Downey.
Speaker 5: The State Department of Justice says there were sixty nine gladiator style fights involving young inmates at Los Padrino's over a six month period. In twenty twenty three, Attorney General Rob Bonta says video shows officers encouraging the fights.
Speaker 1: The officers don't step in, don't intervene, and don't protect their charges.
Speaker 5: Thirty officers have been charged with child abuse, child endangerment, and other crimes. Bonta says there are one hundred and forty three victims between the ages of twelve and eighteen. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Guess what time it is or almost is. It's time for the annual Wiggle Waggle Walk. That's a Pasadena Humane's Wiggle Waggle Walk coming to of course Pasadena. The date is set and KFI has a team and we would love for you to join our team. You can donate. We've got it up on our website on KFI AM six forty dot com and you can go to the wake up call page and there's a link to the Wiggle Waggle Walk again. It's coming on the sixth of April, and we're going to be talking about it more, how you can donate, how you can join our team, Grab your dog and come and take a stroll with us. We're looking forward to it. Will Cole Sharber, you're joining us this year? Heck yeah, It was fun last year. Yep, it's a beautiful thing. And you know what, Pasadena Humane and so many other shelters have done so much good work for the animals in the wake of the fires. I mean, they're still housing hundreds of animals who are displaced from the fires. They're like, they're owners, they know who the animals belong to, but the owners don't have a home, and so Pasadena Humane has taken them in. And plus they're still trying to do everything else they do to find permanent homes for animals. So they're doing great work and we'd love for you to join us again. It's the Wiggle Waggle Walk and it's coming on April twenty April sixth, which is a Sunday morning, and we would love for you to join us again. More information can be found KFIAM six forty dot com. It's on the wake Up Call page. Governor Newsom has signed an executive order requiring most public workers in California back to the office. The order says employees need to be in the office at least four days a week. It goes into effect July first. The storms headed to southern California expected to bring rain to the Southland tomorrow and Thursday. This storm system's expected to bring heavier rain than the storm that moved through over the weekend. One half to an inch of rain is expected in some areas. Starbucks is offering thirteen fewer drink options effective today as it trims down its menu. The drinks removed from the menu are mostly fapuccinos. Starbucks new CEO also announced recently that the company was cutting eleven hundred jobs as part of its back to Starbucks restructuring plan. At six oh five its handle on the news, La Mayor Bath says she was not made aware of the extreme fire condition before the wildfires began, but there's a paper trail that disputes that. Let's say good morning now to Sandy Steers with friends of Big Bear Valley. A very exciting day in the nest.
Speaker 7: Sandy, Hello, yes, we do. It's very exciting to see them out.
Speaker 1: Okay, so tell us what when did this start? And is it pretty normal to have it take about this long for them to come out or did they come out extra quick?
Speaker 7: It's pretty it was pretty normal. The last one, you know, one day is on the fast side, but it's not faster than usual, okay, And both of them took about well, the first one took about a little over a day and the second one took about a day.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the first one was officially hatched. They start with the pipping, that's when they break through the shell, and then you consider them hatched once they're completely.
Speaker 7: Out, yes, when they're out of the shell.
Speaker 1: Okay. And the second one just finished hatching like an hour ago.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, that's correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what happens now? What does now that they've got two eaglets and we've we still have a third egg that could hatch. Maybe we don't know yet. It's still within the window of time for it to be able to be viable, right.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's correct, it still could hatch. It was only thirty four days yesterday, and they don't even really start hatching until at least thirty five.
Speaker 1: Okay. So now we're watching the third egg. But we've got two little babies out, and what do Jackie in Shadow now do to keep them safe? Protect them? What are we what are we going to be looking for?
Speaker 7: They will be you know, covering them as usual and probably taking turns if Jackie let's shadow have his turn. And they will be starting to feed them as soon as the chick drives off a little bit and can sit up. It takes it a while before it can even hold its head up, and they will start feeding it little bits, feed both of them little bits of food, and we'll watch a few what happens. But they will start bringing more and more fish and other food to the nest and kind of store it along the side so there's plenty there for Whenever they stand up, they will start trying to feed the chicks.
Speaker 1: Okay, and they immediately go right to like fish and other meat, right.
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, the parents will break off little pieces of fish and or ducks usually and start feeding tiny pieces to the chick.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then Sandy, we know that we've got another rainstorm coming. We just had some snow in the nest. And I saw Jackie the other day. Does she sat there as hail fell on her? I mean, she just weather's the storm, but one. I mean, the chicks are okay if another heavy rainstorm comes in.
Speaker 7: Yes, the chicks are okay. Sorry, I've got to she's calling in the background. Yes, the chicks are fine, and they will keep them covered and they don't have waterproof feathers yet, so that's why they keep them covered the whole time. But Jackie and Shadow are very good at that, so they will be fine through the storm. And Jackie and Shadow are sort of waterproofed, so they will also be fine.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I know that I've been watching obviously you have been watching. Pretty much everyone here at KFI has been watching the Big Beer Eagle cam. So how many people are watching this?
Speaker 7: Yesterday we had I think it was fifty nine thousand and something we're watching at the same time.
Speaker 1: It's just I mean, it's just it's just nature. But you say it's just nature, it's such a miracle. And it's so cool to watch Jackie in Shadow being the parents and like tending to the eggs, and now we're going to watch them as they help their babies grow, which is another it's just beautiful to watch. So and we think the friends of Big Bear Valley for putting that camera up. I know that you guys have to maintain that you're a nonprofit. Can people help and donate to you guys if they want to keep those cameras going?
Speaker 7: Yes, absolutely. On our website we can take donations. Friends at Big Bear Valley dot org. And we also have Eagle merchandise that we sell that helps support it as well. So any of that helps keep the camera.
Speaker 1: Going, Eagle merchandise, I love that, Sandy Steers. Very exciting day. Thanks for making some time to come on and share the happy news with us. We love happy news.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're welcome. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: All right, take care, time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Good morning, Courtney, good morning.
Speaker 3: So busy here on Wall Street.
Speaker 1: This morning, busy here in the nest above a big bear lake as well. So tell us about what's going on on Wall Street.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, President Trump unleashing the tariffs on Canada, Mexico, and China that it's definitely shaking up Wall Street. The increasing trade tensions is feeling a lot of worries about the outlook for the American economy.
Speaker 7: So stocks took a pounding.
Speaker 3: In yesterday's session as a result. The S and P five hundred loss nearly two percent in trading. The Dell plunge six hundred and fifty points, so that is a big loss. Now this morning, stocks are continuing to see more losses ahead down. Futures are down about one hundred and fifty BET one hundred and fifteen points right now, so we're looking at losses once again today.
Speaker 1: Okay, speaking of losses, it's kind of a tough forecast out for Target.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, they're forecasting little to no sales growth this year. They're also warning of meaningful pressure on profit in the coming months. Of course, one of the reasons that they're saying is tariffs. They're also saying there's a lot of uncertainty around consumer sentiment. But Target's been doing everything to try to get people in the door at They've lowered prices, they're offering discounts, the special discounts. They're also trying to freshen up their merchandise. We've seen big changes lately, but it hasn't helped. When you look at Target chairs, they're down about twenty percent over the past year. Walmart chairs, on the other hand, have climb more than sixty percent over the same time period. So well, a Target needs to do something about at Costco too, has been has been doing quite well. So Target needs to shake things up a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what we were talking about this that we a group of friends and I used we used to do Target Sundays, like you just went to go stroll through the aisles because they always had such cool stuff. And I don't know what it is about Target, but it at it has changed over the last few years and I don't have it, so it's not a go to place anymore for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, that's what a lot of people have been saying out there, that it just doesn't have the right product mix that it used to have. All the special items that people used to go in and try to find, even their their brands that they have themselves that was kind of high end, and then people will go in and try to buy that. But a lot of times you go into a Target, you see merchandise all over the place. You're waiting on big, long lines. So some people are saying, you know what, I'm not going to go here. I'm going to look to other retailers, and especially Walmart for example, they've been trying to shake up things. They have expanded their headquarters, they're working on kind of jazzing up some of their stores, and that's important. You got to jazz up the stores in order to bring people in the door.
Speaker 1: Jazz up the stores. I like it. Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe, thank you so much for the information today. We'll talk to you again tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Definitely see you later.
Speaker 1: All right, take care. We talked to Courtney from Bloomberg every day at this time right here, getting in your business on the wake up call. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. Protesters have gathered at the Golden Gate National Recreation Area in San Francisco to oppose budget cuts to the National Park Service. Many held signs and chanted protect our parks.
Speaker 5: You need to stop this nonsense. We needed to hire back the people that were fired, not only National Park Service, but every federal government employee.
Speaker 2: That's lost their job in the past six weeks.
Speaker 5: They need to be rehired.
Speaker 1: That's John Goodwin, a twenty seven year old now or a twenty seven year now retired Park Service employee. About one thousand Park Service workers have been let go so the Trump administration was to downsize the government. A former staffer has accused San Bernardino County supervisor Joe Baca Junior of bullying, disparaging, and threatening employees. Baca has denied the allegations and claims he treats his staff with the utmost respect. The woman was recently fired. A gas company worker has been rescued after falling more than thirty feet into a pit in a backyard in Hesperia. The guy was apparently doing maintenance work when the ground gave way underneath him. Firefighters used a rope system to safely pull him out of what was either an abandoned well or a sinkhole. The guy was awake and alert the whole time and was taken to the hospital. Not clear what his injuries are. Fired La Fire Chief Kristin Crowley is asking La City Council for her job back at today's council meeting. Under the city charter, Crowley needs the support of ten of the fifteen council members to be reinstated. At least four city council members have stood alongside Mayor Bass in support of the firing. Governor Newsom's declared a state of emergency in forests in California. The declaration allows Newsom's administration to bypass more coastal and permitting regulations and also expedite wildfire prevention projects. President Trump addresses a joint session of Congress tonight. The White House says the theme of the address will be the renewal of the American Dream. The speech is at six o'clock. We will carry it live on the Tim Conway Show right here on KFI. We're just minutes away from handle. On the news this morning, President Trump's tariffs have been slapped on Mexico, Canada and China. And guess what they're slapping back. Let's say good morning too. Someone who knows how a lot about money and how those tariffs might affect this. It's the host of How to Money on KFI, Joel Larsgard. Morning Joel, Morning Amy. So one in five Americans are giving into doom spending. What is it?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 11: Well, I think in large part because of the threats of tariffs and now the actual implementation of tariffs. A lot of American people have said I should probably spend more because I think prices are going up, and I get that impulse, but they're essentially saying things are going to spiral out of control and because of that, I should probably stockpile things now, maybe take the costco mentality, but amp it up on steroids or something like that. And I guess I'm just worried. I don't think that's really actually a good path forward for people. The tariff question, certainly, it's been kind of a yo yo thing, and now they're actually being implemented. And like you said, the countries that were implementing tariffs against are implementing tariffs of their own. And the truest reality in economics is that tariffs do lead to higher costs. I will say this though, the first time around, companies had ways of kind of getting around those tariffs, whether it was going through a third party country or sourcing some materials elsewhere. That I think these tariffs are going to be more impactful. But I don't want people to go out there and buy stuff that maybe they don't actually have the money for, putting it on credit cards and stuff like that. I don't want people to let fear change their money habits.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In fact, you bring that up, and I was going to ask you. I was driving around the other day and I was like, Oh, I need to ask Joel if he thinks a lot of people are going to go and buy cars because of the tariffs.
Speaker 11: I mean, I do think that is one of the places, especially as much Ink has been spilled about rising car prices, and that's we've already experienced that with just inflation in general, right, But tariffs could impact car prices even more. And part of the reason that tariffs are being implemented it's a protectionary instinct to protect I think, the American car manufacturers. But because cars are essentially built in multiple countries and the parts are flying back and forth across borders, the tariffs could increase the price of car parts, increase the price of cars altogether. And so someone saying, you know what, I guess I should buy a car before prices go up. It depends on when were you playing on buying a car anyway. If you're like I was thinking about buying one in like twenty twenty six or twenty seven, I should go ahead and front load that purchase even though I don't have the cash on hand to buy it, I would say, no, that's not why. It's like, pay a little more for car parts to repair your car now, and don't go ahead and buy a new car. But if you're like, no, I was already gonna buy one in like May or June, I don't see the harm in making that purchase a little bit sooner, although I don't know how much you're gonna save. I mean, some of the estimates about how much more cars will cost because of terraffs are really a few percentage points higher. When you talk about the price of a car that could be on thy fifteen hundred dollars, that's a lot of money. So I don't I'm not against the idea of frontloading that purchase a little, but just don't look so far out and let that doom and gloom color your purchases too much.
Speaker 1: Okay. I saw that Starbucks said it's not going to raise its prices because of the tariffs. They said, we'll eat it.
Speaker 11: Well, that's interesting too, because when you look at what's happening with coffee prices, coffee prices have are like a fifty year high. So yeah, maybe Starbucks doesn't have to raise prices right now. But at some point tariffs become a reality that every company has to deal with and they either have to find ways to cut back on their costs or they have to pass on some of the increased pricing onto consumers. And I do think there's probably going to be a little bit of both, right because companies don't want to shock all of US Americans. But tariffs are going to be shocking if they stay around for any in a meaningful way, for any meaningful length time.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then Joe, one last quick question because we're almost out of time. I hate that this is the quickest hour in radio. DOGE dividends. They've been talking about it, but you're saying they're not going to materialize.
Speaker 11: Don't hold your breath.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about specifically?
Speaker 11: So there were headlines last week talking about how, oh the Department of Government efficiency. It's look at all the money it's going to save us Americans. And I do think most Americans can agree that, you know, at least cutting a little bit of government waste, fraud, and abuse. If that's actually what's happening is a good thing, and the way Dog is going about it that's more debatable. But this sort of massive DOGE refund to Americans, like five thousand dollars per household is kind of what's been touted. There's no way that's going to happen. That's essentially saying if DOGE cuts two trillion dollars in federal spending, that's how much households would receive if they got a portion of those savings send out and rebate checks to Americans. There's just no way Doge is going to be able to claw back anything close to that amount of money. So if you're saying, oh, another stemmy check, I'm going to get a massive government rebate check in the mail because Doge is doing such a great job, I would just say I don't think that's going to happen. In fact, I would I would bet a lot of money that's not.
Speaker 3: Going to happen.
Speaker 11: Even a five hundred dollars check is just pie in the sky because, like really, when it comes down to it, it's entitlements that need to be cut to realize significant savings, and the Trump administration has said, no way, we're going to cut anything in regards to you know, the biggest line items that the government has.
Speaker 1: Okay, and guess who's going to talk more about money this weekend Noon to two on Sunday. Yeah, it's Joel Larsgard. The show is How to Money. It's right here on KFI Sunday's noon to two. You can also follow Joel at How to Money. Joel, Thank you, Joel.
Speaker 7: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Senator Adam Schiff has chosen a firefighter from Vandenberg Space for Space to join him for tonight's presidential address to Congress.
Speaker 5: Shiff extended the invitation to Captain Vincent Culiver, he's with the Department of Defense. Culiver says he hopes Congress turned some attention towards federal firefighters and their aging equipment.
Speaker 1: That does make firefighting a little difficult when your equipment.
Speaker 6: Older firefighters typically want. We need, We need the best that we can get, so we can give the best that we can give.
Speaker 5: Culiver and other federal firefighters help put out the flames during January's wildfires in La County. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: US tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico now in effect. They started just after midnight. ABC's Nicole D'Antonio says imports from Canada and Mexico are now taxed twenty five percent, with Canadian Energy Project products subject to ten percent import duties.
Speaker 12: Canada responding with a twenty five percent tariff of its own on American goods. Economists warn those tariffs are paid for by American businesses, and those costs are then passed on to American consumers by raising prices.
Speaker 1: President Trump is also doubled a ten percent tariff on Chinese imports to twenty percent. China's retaliated with additional tariffs up to fifteen percent on various items. Research shows coyotes tend to avoid wealthy neighborhoods in LA.
Speaker 9: That is, according to a new study from UC Berkeley, Researchers found that coyotes are more likely to be hazed, hurt, or captured in affluent neighborhoods. Coyotes have noticed this and adapted to it over time, meaning they generally stick around in lower income areas.
Speaker 1: I just literally saw two coyotes crossing the street in front of our office building as I pulled in this morning. It's a nice area. Did they stick their noses up and just keep walking? You know what, Coyotes don't give a crap about you. They just look at you like, yeah, what do you want? Okay? This is KFI and kosd HD to Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFI. Some clouds this morning, then sunny and cool with heis in the low to mid sixties at the beaches Metro LA and in the Orange County mid upper sixties for the valleys. In IE, a wind advisor is in effect for the Annalog Valley through this afternoon. HEISIBE in the fifties to mid sixties. We have a slight chance of rain tomorrow morning than a seventy percent chance. We're going to get wet in the afternoon. Rain like with thunderstorms possible tomorrow night, then rain off and on for Thursday. We'll dry out again on Friday. It's fifty in San clementy forty five and Claremont, fifty three in Fountain Valley, forty nine in Silmar. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer KNO and traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.