Speaker 1: Welcome friends, podcasts tacky. Now I have to help people with my music, like your family.
Speaker 2: No, the guy who brought you Talladega Nights, knock duc in super Bad, invite you to meet Dewey Cocks Walk Car.
Speaker 1: It's some devil's music this holiday season.
Speaker 3: There's a rift between the Beatles.
Speaker 1: I've got a song about an octopus.
Speaker 3: I like the other one, walk Hard The Dewey Cox story rated R. Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zachie Hassan. And you don't want none of this, Brian.
Speaker 1: It kind of sounds like I do.
Speaker 3: We're gonna be watching this movie and talking through it. You don't want to do this, Brian.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It sounds kind of fun to me. Let me in, Let me in. I want to try with you.
Speaker 3: It's the most fun you can have, Brian. But you don't want none of this?
Speaker 1: Are you sure about that? Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, I'm so excited to do this commentary.
Speaker 1: Need to.
Speaker 2: I haven't watched this in a while, and this was really fun to revisit and I was even thinking, oh, this is going to be so much fun to talk about with Zachi.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: So you know, people often ask like, what are the criteria we use to pick the movies that we do for our commentaries, And there's a variety of reasons, and occasionally, for me, there's a little bit of like, here's something that's like really special to me, and I'm hoping the rest of the world will appreciate it because I like it too.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmmm.
Speaker 2: This is definitely one of those movies because as I was looking back, and I remember this when it came out, but it didn't do very well.
Speaker 1: Nope, and this is a total.
Speaker 2: Cult film and I think with good reason, which we can get into, but I think for those same reasons, that's why the people who this is made for will adore it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'd like to believe that there is a sizeable overlap, you know that Venn diagram of people who would like this movie and people who listen to the movie Film podcast. Totally totally, So you know, hey, this is walk Hard, the Dewey Cox story, and it's been in the back of my mind. I'm one of these days, right And then of course as we are recording this, we're in the lead up to the release of the music bio pick Michael about Michael Jackson, And so as soon as I heard that movie is coming, I was like, well, we'll it pass the Dewey Cox test.
Speaker 2: Which we tend to do with pretty much every musical bio pick these days, right, And it.
Speaker 1: Feels like many people do that, and even I.
Speaker 2: See in reviews or listen to podcast reviews, and Walk Hard does come up as some sort of measuring stick, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Oh, did it do this trope? Did it do that trope?
Speaker 2: It falls into the walk Hard trap, and it feels like then biopicks were trying to like subvert it a little bit.
Speaker 1: You know, you had that Bruce Springsteen one that came out.
Speaker 2: It's like, no, no, no, this isn't like he stops and thinks about his whole life and then we you know, go through all the beats like this is just a moment in Bruce Springsteen's life.
Speaker 1: It felt like they were trying to do.
Speaker 3: That deliberately, trying to avoid the Dewey Cos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where's Michael looks like I'm like rubbing my hands together.
Speaker 3: I know, and we don't know as we record this, if for all we know, we will be entirely surprised. But you know, ultimately all This is to say that walk Hard is one of the most pointed and I would say reverential looks at the solid tropes that undergird music, biopicks and it, and it pokes fun at them, but you know, affectionately, I agree totally. You know, so well, we're watching walk Hard from two thousand and seven. If you want to watch along with us, you certainly can do that. If you don't have the movie available, which as we said, I don't think we'd be surprised by because it didn't do particularly well. That's okay. Hopefully we keep the conversation interesting enough.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Actually I thought I saw there's an extended version that is two hours long.
Speaker 1: This version is about ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just out of curiosity because I do like this movie. I was like, oh, you know, I would love to see the bonus scenes and maybe it'll be like a five dollars Blu ray or something, you know, but no, it's like eighty dollars. Like I don't know if this is out of print at least on physical media, so I know you can stream it so well, not only.
Speaker 3: Can you stream it as of today as we're recording, you can see the entire movie on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Oh like YouTube YouTube.
Speaker 3: On YouTube by somebody that ain't Columbia.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting, right, And I only.
Speaker 3: Bring that up as to say, like that, that's a measure of how not successful the movie was.
Speaker 1: Columbia either doesn't know or doesn't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how sad, because this feels like a real passion project.
Speaker 3: It, you know, it certainly does. I mean, whenever you hear the various people involved, be it Jake kas and directed, certainly John c Riley who stars in it, who is Dewey Cox, and all the other folks involved. I mean, and I mean we'll talk about this in the movie, but I mean it is a murderer's row of just hey that person, Oh look at that, and not even hey that guy. I mean like well known people right right, who just pop up just just to hang out and have fun.
Speaker 1: Yep, So let's watch this, Brian, Let's do it. Let's do let's do it.
Speaker 3: And before we get started, I just want to remind our listeners that if you want to hear this commentary track ad free, which is of course the best way to listen to our commentary tracks, well, you might want to check out our Patreon feed, right.
Speaker 2: Brian yep over at patreon dot com Slash Movie Film Podcast. If you subscribe over there for only five dollars a month, you get to hear this commentary and every other commentary we've ever done, without any ads or interruptions.
Speaker 1: Butting into the flow.
Speaker 3: All right, so we'll do the usual thing. We'll hit play on three one two three plate. Ready, Ready, here we go, one two three plate.
Speaker 2: Maybe because this is a musical, you should have been like and a one and a two two.
Speaker 3: Shay, or I should have just started and you'd be like, Zachy, I don't, I don't know when you're starting.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, just watch, And what I have to ask, when was the last time you watched Walk the Line, which I think is one of the bigger inspirations for the outline of this movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, this will Walk the Line and Ray most obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because those had come out just a couple of years before this one.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yeah, Walk the Line well and Ray, both of them I saw when they came out. I didn't. I didn't see either of them in the theater. I saw them on home video, but it was you know, so it's been about twenty years.
Speaker 2: Same same and I know this opening is a lot like the opening of Walk the Line, where you have Johnny Cash at fulsome prison and he's about to go on and play for the prisoners, and they're like Johnny kind of a thing, and you know, you're ready to go on, and he's got you know, his hand on a wall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm it'sac it's I mean, it looks like an album cover for like several Johnny Cash albums exactly. And then Matt Faxon, by the way, who's searching for Dewey Cox. He you know, I had a chance to interview him. He wrote and directed the Way way Back.
Speaker 2: Oh, I knew I recognized him, but I didn't know why.
Speaker 3: He goes Dewey Cox thinking about his life. Now, now I will assume you did not see this in the theater. Maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: No, No, I was all over this. I oh, you did see in the I was very excited for this movie.
Speaker 3: So you see you beat me to it definitely, because I didn't see this until it probably was on cable, you.
Speaker 1: Know what it was.
Speaker 2: Actually I was working at a studio at the time and this was during award season, So this was December two thousand and seven, and we were getting all sorts of screeners and I was very excited for this movie. And I remember when the screener came in for this, I was like, oh, let me grab it, and I want and I took it home and watched it and then I loved it. And then I saw something else in the theater the same month, and I remember when that was over, I walked over to walk Hard and watched it again, really because I wanted to see it on the big screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that's I mean, it is very much your sense of humor.
Speaker 2: Definitely, And I love how into the nuts and bolts of music history. It goes right like it is. It's having fun with it. But I mean we get into like the Brian Wilson smile sessions.
Speaker 1: Right in this movie, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, And and if I may, I mean another movie that you have long champion is called Fear of a Black Hat. Yes, yes, And and that I mean is different from this but similar in that it's a very specific kind of parody, right yep. And and I know for a long time you've been a big fan of that one.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's like all of it, right, it's spinal tap, it's the Naked Gun, it is just music, you know, music history, it's it's all of it, and it's Jutt Appatow. He was this was his moment, right, I mean, this year we had forty year old Virgin already Freaks and Geeks and all those things that were sort of cult hits. But forty year old Virgin he had his real breakout. Super I'm sorry knocked Up and super Bad also came out this year.
Speaker 1: I mean, he was on fire, yep.
Speaker 2: And and I loved what he was doing, so I was excited also that this was a jet Appatow joint.
Speaker 3: Generally, you don't expect to laugh hysterically when a little boy has been chopped in half with the machete, and yet here we are.
Speaker 2: But I love the like, matter of fact, do we I'm cutting half pretty bad? I don't know that I'm gonna make it. And that's the thing, right, This is the kind of dialogue you hear in these sorts of things. You know, it's like usually someone coughing into their hand and there's blood and they're like, you know, you're gonna be okay, Like I don't know, man, looks pretty bad.
Speaker 1: You know here, I've been cutting half pretty bad.
Speaker 3: Well, I love this here. The doctor's like, we're not gonna be able to sew the top half to the bottom half, and.
Speaker 1: That's you know what this does that thing that I love.
Speaker 2: Also, where it's not shot like a comedy right right, it looks this is gorgeous. This may as well be Walk the Line, like the lighting and the cinematography and everything, you know it's And that to me makes the joke ten times funnier because they're acting like they're in that movie, but they're saying ridiculous things or they're talking about ridiculous things. Yeah, and then this comes from Walk the Line.
Speaker 1: You know, the wrong kid died Yep. She becomes this guy's mantra through the whole movie. That's so funny.
Speaker 2: I also love how Kristen Wigg has the you know you're never gonna make it, You're never gonna make it, and then when she's on the phone, lay're like, okay, Bud, you're never gonna make it.
Speaker 3: I love how Margot Martindale's just playing it completely straight.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, she's so perfect.
Speaker 2: And I was thinking, man, this really moves so quickly, like I was admiring the the script, you know, or maybe I should say the editing that because I'm sure we know there's a two hour cut, but just you know, the flashback, the brother dies every but he's upset.
Speaker 1: Now go to the store, you know, and so then.
Speaker 2: He goes and meets these uh, these blues musicians, and then he plays the guitar and sings the blues for the first time.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's just it's so fast, and like any great comedy, every scene has at least multiple things that you laugh at in it, right, you know, well.
Speaker 3: I I think that that's you know, you were talking about Apatow, and you know, I think Apatow at his best benefits from from strong editing.
Speaker 1: Yoh, totally right.
Speaker 3: Because because you know you're talking. I mean, I haven't seen the extended version fully, but I did see the extended version of certain clips. I saw specifically the Beatles scene. Oh interesting, okay, And and it's like amusing. I'm not I'm not saying it's it's it's not funny, but it's Jack Black and Paul Rudd and and you know, Jason Schwartzman and and Justin Long. Just I mean, there's a lot of them riffing, right, and it is like like but on its own it's fun, right, but it would just kill the momentum cold in the movie, right, right, So it's like you got to know when to let some of the stuff go, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it seems like he was doing that less and less, that's right, as he went on.
Speaker 3: That's exactly it, yeah, right, because.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, Knocked Up in forty old version are a bit long for comedies, but I think they sustain well. But then his movie's just got like funny People is like two and a half hours long, exactly, you know, and when you watch it, it does feel like a lot of it does feel like outtakes, you know, like just stuff he was in love with that he couldn't let go of.
Speaker 1: That is slowing the movie down.
Speaker 3: Right, This is so funny here, right, we got John c Riley as fourteen year old Dewey Cox, and damned if you don't believe he's fourteen years old.
Speaker 2: He is incredible in this movie, right, I mean, because he's doing so much, he's like he's he's he's so good in comedies because he has this kind of I don't know, like dopiness, a little bit in his voice that he can like play with and accentuate, you know, for comedic purposes. But before this he was mostly known for serious movies, right like Paul Thomas Anderson movies, The Hours, Gangs of New York, Boogie Knights, Boogie.
Speaker 1: Knights of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so then it feels like this was a real sort of breakout moment for him to show like a whole new you know, tool in his toolbox that he had. And then he does Step Brothers the next year, and he I think people probably think of him as a comedian now.
Speaker 3: More of a more of a comedy or a or animated guy, because he's a you know, he's a recket. What's l reckett?
Speaker 1: Ralph? Yeah, what did that guy say? I love that, the talent show guy.
Speaker 2: He says some joke like ladies and germs kind of thing, and then everyone like laughs a little louder than they shed.
Speaker 1: He us, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: Those are the jokes I love, you know, like it's just weird little stories in this universe, Like that's the funny guy that everybody thinks it's funny at school.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, the.
Speaker 3: Wrong kid time God damn it just apropos of nothing quite dear.
Speaker 2: And this is hilarious because this is what happens in these movies, right, you know, Elvis goes Actually this does happen in Elvis the baz Lerman one, which came out years later. But he sings a song and women just can't help it, sort of like oh, like something's moving and stirring inside of them, you know, like a like a sexual awakening. But he's singing the most chase song in the world about holding hands, but women are like ripping their dresses open, and you know, it's so funny. People punching ministers.
Speaker 3: Rance Howard as the priest.
Speaker 1: Wait, w was he?
Speaker 3: That's Ron Howard's dad.
Speaker 1: Oh guy, k oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Then Kristin Wig, I mean this is like her SNL moment right where she's like a superstar in SNL. I mean before Bridesmaids and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she had she was in Uh she's a knocked up.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, she's an executive at E Channel.
Speaker 3: That's right, So she she kind of she was already in the Apatow Orbit, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I had read somewhere where Yeah, she really popped in that moment, and this is like what Jed Apatow does. He finds these interesting people who have not found a vehicle yet, and he creates vehicles for them, right, which is you know, he was doing it more in this era, but it was it was kind.
Speaker 3: Of great perfect. You know, Ricky Bobby was just a year before this.
Speaker 1: Oh that was for this okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you can imagine that's what That's what laid the track for John c Riley doing this the other you know, we were talking about Riley and and I think what what makes his performance work? I was thinking about as I rewatched it. I was like, the songs are good, like they're all they're all like earworms, right, And.
Speaker 2: That's that's the trick really exactly, because it's not like they have funny lyrics, right, Like occasionally they do like something that's like a little off kilter or something, but they're so perfect, like they're not like just an Elvis song or like, oh, this is a fifties rock and roll song. Like at one point he is doing like the operatic rock of Roy Orbison specifically, you know, and like this very very specific like era of Bob Dylan, you know. So yeah, yeah, it's it's brilliant and almost like if you don't have that awareness, you might not find it as funny, which is why I think this movie really resonates with certain people and other people you know, just I don't know, can't get into it as much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So this sequence here, it's inspired by, Uh, there's a there's an Elvis movie called called King Creole okay, and it's basically the same idea. You have a you know, a black band and you know the lead singers and available, so like, well what about you you sing? And he's like, well, you know, and he starts doing his Elvis thing. But obviously it's made so much funnier by everything, you know, like poor Craig Robinson. You feel bad for him, the mistrain for him, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually I did think about that in this when I was watching this, like, oh man, that could have been his This could have been his movie. And that's what's funny too, is I like that it is riffing on so many familiar stories and movies and whatever, but it is enough of its own thing. You know that by the end, when Cox does have his song that sums up his entire life, I weirdly like feel something right, Like it is enough of its own story as much as it's leaning on other things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I I think when when you look at like the the ePK material and you know, the interviews and things that the filmmakers and cast made that they gave when the movie came out, you know, they're they're jokingly but very seriously, like, you know, our goal is to win Oscars, you know, And it's like that they're treating this like it's an Oscar bait movie, right, right, And I think that's what makes it hilarious. But it really it, you know, it's what I realize about this type of humor, and and I think it helps that like you and I have very similar like we have a sense of what we each find funny, right, But I have to remind myself, oh, not everybody finds that type of stuff funny.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, yeah for sure, right.
Speaker 3: And so it's like for the inside group, it's just like, oh man, this is it's you know, you're you're you're experiencing genius as it's happening.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 3: But again, if you're part of the outside group, it's like this is nothing, None of this makes sense.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and that's that's why I think it's but I just have to call it this whole thing where he's like, you know, I got to follow my dreams. She's like, what about my dreams. He's like, I told you, I can't build you a candy house. It won't work, It'll melt. She's like, what if it never rains?
Speaker 1: You know, It's like all of it. This thing is, it covers all of it.
Speaker 2: It's got the stupid humor, it's got the incisive humor, it's got the wit, it's got the parody.
Speaker 3: Well this right here, right the the horriest of tropes, which is they the star of the music bio somehow stumbles upon their most important hit.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, like all those trip walk Hard Hard you know, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: But like I mean, just going back to the audience, you know, I was curious. I looked, I want to see what critics thought, and it's like seventy five percent for critics and fifty seven percent for audience. Interesting, okay, And so I saw and just then I looked this on Rott Tomatoes and I looked into the audience and the two top comments literally side by side on the page is this is what passes for comedy and awesome movie, one of the best I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Brilliant, which you know said enough said.
Speaker 1: I mean this is kind of what we're saying.
Speaker 2: I think that makes sense because this is so niche and it nails its subject matter in a very precise way. Like like that it doesn't just go broad and become like a rock and roll comedy, right, It digs in and gets hyper specific, right, you know, which isn't going going to appeal to everyone, but for the people you know that this connects with, this becomes an instant classic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, it's you know when we look at our comedic influences, right, I mean it's you know, we often point to Conan, you know, who himself would point to Monty Python and and you know, and you can connect the dots from from Conan to here, right, and and I think for again, for the things that you and I laugh at, it's part of it's part of that continuum, right. And it's you know, it's like like Conan has I mean, he has many bits, but he has this one which I'm sure you've seen where it's from Wait, like season one, maybe the first few months of his show where he has Scarlett Johansson.
Speaker 1: She's a little kid, yeah yeah, yeah, yes, yes, right.
Speaker 3: And she plays a spelling be champion who keeps misspelling words and nobody is willing to call her on it, yes, which, like to me, that's just like that is hilarious, so funny. Yeah right, the whole bit everything and the execution, you know. And yet I've shown that to people who are like, I don't what's the joke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well Chase Conan is pretending, yeah, it's it's pretending like it's an interview, and he is just going with it, like playing himself, going with it as if this was a real interview and this kid isn't spelling words correctly, who's supposed to be a spelling bee champion. But then Andy is like, well, you know, I mean I hate to be you know it, but that actually is incorrect and you can tell like the audience is uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know, like and that's that's the joke. That's the joke exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is by the way, mister Lahai, mister Mazeltov, right, the Jewish music executives. Yeah, yeah, literally looks like rabbis Harold Ramis ri ip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of a kind, such a unique.
Speaker 2: Warmth seriously, yeah, yeah, dude, and John Michael Higgins in this one scene just crushes.
Speaker 3: Stopped at this instant. You have failed conclusively. I quote this so much. You've ruined my faith in the Jewish people. Well, sir, I'd like to restore your faith in Judaism. Yeah, what makes this so funny? So this is this is pretty clearly I mean this is like directly parodying Walk Hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or Walk the Line. Yeah, excuse me walk yeah, walk the Line. Uh, the way it's shot everything right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: But what I love is like how it compresses the time frame where like it becomes a hit while he's recording.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, the DJ is playing it on the radio. He's like, wow, this was recorded thirty five minutes ago. I love, but this is I mean, this is kind of what Walk the Line does. It's like, this is your last shot. Like what you've done so far isn't working. Yeah, but I need you to play something that is you from your heart. But like this just takes it and dials it up to eleven. You know, it's comedically and then it's funny because he turns to the band and it's just like, all right, well, I've never met these people before in my life, but just follow me. And then all of a sudden, they know the song and they know how to sing back up for it, and you know it's.
Speaker 1: Let me give you fifteen more seconds. His voice is so good. I was lucky enough to meet him when I worked on for Your Consideration. Oh yeah, that's right, you did, mommy. Yeah, he's part of that Christopher guest troop. He's so funny.
Speaker 3: First time I saw him was as David Letterman. Oh in the late Shift to that HBO movie. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know that I connected that that was him.
Speaker 3: He was a pretty good Letterman.
Speaker 1: I thought, yeah, that's a good movie. I think it is. I agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see like this right here, walk I love this look he shoots movie. He knows immediately, like literally, he's just like walk hard. And then he's like, people are running up. But here's the thing. Walk Hard is a banger of a song.
Speaker 1: That's that's the real trick, right right.
Speaker 2: And And you know it's funny because I still stand by I think that thing you do being the most amazing achievement in like making up a song for a fake band in a movie, because that is supposed to be like, these guys come up with a hit that is undeniable that we're gonna play ten times in this movie and you will never get tired of it. And I think it's a miracle that song. And then you really do have to put this movie really really close because it comes up with so many songs that are supposed to represent so many different eras of music so specifically, and they're funny in the way they're.
Speaker 1: Supposed to be.
Speaker 3: Real quick, so we just saw Jack McBrayer as the DJ. Yeah, right, right, right, so we got we got to wreck at Ralph and fix it Felix.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, good god. Well this is so like.
Speaker 2: You know, you're saying, there's so many people in this and especially of this moment, right, I mean you have so many people from the office, yeah, which I think started two years before this and Appatao gang people form freaks and geeks just populating this movie.
Speaker 1: Sorry you were saying about the song.
Speaker 2: No, but I mean I think that's the real trick, is like the songs aren't like weird al you know, trying to be like like it's not the song isn't a gag, right, you know what I mean? They're actually like really well done, and how well done they are is kind of the joke. Yeah right, you know when I loved this too, just the way that this has played this giraffe in his kitchen. He's like, oh yeah, you know, I said sure, but I just want the giraffe. So anyway, he's a beautiful creature, you know, like just so casual. But I wanted to call out a lot of songwriters participated, but primarily these songs were written by a guy named Dan Byrne and Mike Viola, and Mike Viola produced That Thing You.
Speaker 1: Do, which was written by the late great Adam Schleisinger. Oh okay, and.
Speaker 2: Viola is produced and written stuff for like Panic at the Disco and Mandy Moore, Jenny Lewis and Dan Byrne. He's a singer songwriter, you know, I'm looking him up. I'm not familiar with him, but I saw he was. He's been compared to Bob Dylan and Woody Guthrie and Bruce Springsteen and like those are the people you want, almost right, not comed.
Speaker 3: Right, exactly, No, that's true. This right here realka, I'm gonna miss some birth are you some Christmas? I'm gonna miss some births? Period, Dewey, You're never gonna follow up on your dreams.
Speaker 1: He's got all these babies, you know. It's funny too.
Speaker 2: Is like one of the things we sort of criticized from this era or something that came out of this era, was a lot of improvisation and a lot of it kept in that maybe maybe it was fun on the day, but if they had a little more discipline, they could have cut it out because it's not really it's kind of slowing the movie down. I feel like that moment about the crow, you know, like I'll get you a crow, a talking crow, that feels like the only thing in this movie to me that he just kind of made up on the spot, and they're like, yeah, that's funny, let's just run with that. Everything else does feel pretty intentional, and it's a great observation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Frankie Munis as Buddy Holly, that's such a great idea, pretty good casting, and I love all they always have to be like.
Speaker 1: Look man, it's me Buddy Holly. Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do that, especially during the Beatles scene.
Speaker 2: Right right, what's that guy's name? I can't believe I'm blinking on it, Ed Helms, Ed Helms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Andy Dwyer yep.
Speaker 1: And Jack White is Elvis Jack.
Speaker 3: That's good casting.
Speaker 1: That's a really funny idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I love it because it doesn't feel like an impersonator, right, you know, it's just kind of its own thing, but also kind of fun because you're like, oh yeah, Jack White.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't recognize him because I'm not used to him with his hair not down, you know. Yeah, yeah, But what I love is that his elvis It's like it's like barely elvis. You know, it's like an imitation of an imitation of imitation, you know, right right, That's what makes it funny to me. Yeah, And I should say, by the way, Ed Helms was, of course Andy Bernard, not Andy Dwyer. Andy Dwyer was Chris Pratt on Parks and rec and it was good catch. I know people are gonna jump on my ass about that.
Speaker 2: People are slowly backing away from their laptops like all right.
Speaker 3: You son of a bitch.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, like we're talking about I mean, you got to shoot it like a real movie, you know. I think I think what you're saying about, like the comedies of that period, there's like a roughly five year window from like two thousand and six to twenty eleven where there was a lot of what you're talking about where it's just like point the camera at the funny people and let them be funny. And I think that's only part of the trick, yep, because you got yes, you got to capture it, but then you got to prune.
Speaker 1: It definitely, and you need the people who have the ability.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look more often than not. I mean, you know, Jed Appatow is going to assemble a cast that has the goods.
Speaker 2: With Apatow, but there was a lot of imitators. I think that kind of cruche. That's a good point, and it just it was occasionally painful.
Speaker 3: It's weird because I mean there was this surplus during that that window, right, and it it feels like brieg screen comedies just in general have kind of dwindled, right hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I mean, I theatrically, I don't I the last thing I'm probably wrong, but the last thing that comes to mind is that Jennifer Lawrence movie. You know that felt like something like a throwback, like kind of a oh the the like a rated comedy.
Speaker 1: Yes, what was it called No Hard Feelings?
Speaker 3: No Hard Feelings?
Speaker 1: Yeah, which was I liked? That was funny.
Speaker 3: I never saw it.
Speaker 1: I don't I think it did.
Speaker 3: Okay, here we go. This is this is my favorite runner through the whole movie.
Speaker 1: You don't want none of this. We're smoking reefer.
Speaker 3: So this is this is a reference to Ray right, which is a similar thing where that's how he ends up addicted to the hard stuff, you know.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: See we're talking about like you know how how trophy this movie. It's parroting all these tropes that people knew, right, And it's like, well, why does Hollywood keep doing that?
Speaker 1: Well? Because it works? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, Like say what you will about about the artistic merit of these, you know, jukebox musicals, right, these these jukebox biopics, I mean, people show up totally.
Speaker 2: I mean it's like we talk about this with sports films, you know, like underdog sports films. It's like we I could tell you how it's going to end before I even the movie starts, right. But I love the experience of it. I like the root thing, rooting for the athlete or the team or whoever, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Like I mean, I mean Ray and walk the line obviously, but like you know Bohemian Rhapsody, that's a.
Speaker 1: Big one, right oh yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: A Rocketman, you know, the Bob Dylan one to some extent. I like that one, right shoot, No, what is that called? I don't remember. I just call it the Bob Dylan movie.
Speaker 1: Isn't that funny?
Speaker 2: There's certain titles that just don't stick. Although I know I know what I'm gonna see it.
Speaker 1: Let's see Shelly movie. A complete unknown of course part of the lyrics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, Tim Meadows like he is just one of those guys since SNL all the way.
Speaker 1: Through to today.
Speaker 2: He is just solid, always delivers, always like I love seeing him whenever he pops up, Like I would really love for him to find something that is, like, I don't know, just perfect for him, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So on SNL, you know when he was on it for a minute there, he had the rec for being like the longest lived, longest lasting cast member on that show. Oh interesting, I think Keenan has lapped him several times over that point. Yes, But my point is like keenan and and Tim Meadows, right, they they work for the same reason. They're not showy, right They they are more often than not the straight man, and they're able to pull that off with the plumb right Yep, Yep. He does very similar here, right, Like he he knows how to how to just kind of add that extra sparkle to a scene. H he Actually he was just on a show that just got canceled. It was on CBS. It was very funny. It was called DMV.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking about that. I guess that's why I was feeling, like, man, what is he going to get his thing?
Speaker 3: I know. I mean, in all fairness, that show should have run and run. Really it absolutely should have. I don't know why CBS canceled it, but but it's a damn shame. I love this Just people walking around with their wings hanging out.
Speaker 2: It's almost hard to have like a straight conversation with like I like his dad just like what the But yeah, but like you said, he just adds sparkle to it. I mean later in the movie when they're old men. Yeah, and I think he like opens like a his you know, door to his trailer or whatever it is. It's just him with this like white hair in the sides of his head and he just has this smile just like you know, like it's it's wordless, but it like pops because it's Tim Meadows. And then of course in that scene with the joint, you know, and he's like, the way you could give someone else those lines and it like would be kind of funny, but him being like, it's not habit forming.
Speaker 3: Dude, the way the way to his mom dies do his music kills again?
Speaker 1: She lost her bounds and the radio crushed her head.
Speaker 3: Now, now we were talking about Tim Meadows, you know, you talk in terms of what he was able to do on SNL. You know, one of the sketches, there's so many, but one of the sketches that I remember is a Jingleheimer junction.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: And the whole premise is you've got various characters with letters on there. It's like a kid's show, like on PBS or something. Yeah, and you've got like you for unity and for niceness, you know whatever. Yeah, you know, see for caring, you know. And then and then Will Ferrell shows up as the new guy and he's f for friendly, so it's f U c K.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: That's the joke is is Tim Meadows is the host of the show and he's trying to prevent them from lining up in that order.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, to spell it the word.
Speaker 3: And it only works because you need an opposite energy from Will Ferrell right right, and it's comedy gold.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. If people haven't seen it, look at us. I've seen it multiple times. It comes up on my Instagram. Actually, oh really occasionally. Yeah, I love this now he's done cocaine and he invents punk music.
Speaker 1: That was the thing too.
Speaker 2: I looked up that they learned how to play their instruments, and that's I mean, you can tell, you know, in a movie like this, I think that's important. It's always distracting when you see people I don't know hitting symbols when they don't line up for me, it is at least do.
Speaker 1: You clock that stuff occasionally?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess in a movie that's about music, right, you're seeing it more.
Speaker 1: And then what's the guy Parnell?
Speaker 2: Right, Chris Parnell, Yeah, Chris Parnell, Yeah, the bassist. He's another one of those guys. It's just like he's I feel like underappreciated.
Speaker 3: I kind of loved that he narrated the Lorne Michael's documentary.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh that's right.
Speaker 3: I mean because he has such a distinct voice. I just I know Chris Parnell's voice.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And so as soon as that movie says, we start hearing a narration, and reflexively I was like, does this movie need narration? And then I hear Chris Parnell. I'm like, oh, well, yes, because it's Chris Parnell doing it.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm.
Speaker 2: He has like he can do announcer voice. Yeah, but he has like a slight I mean, how would you describe it, like something that undercuts it its seriousness a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just just a little hint of sarcasm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sarcasm or smart or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, smart, maybe that's the better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's so good at that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love him in hot Rod and I thought it was he does a similar sort of role in this to Anchorman, where it's like he looks up to the big boss man, gets betrayed by them and is deeply hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he plays that really well. Jennif Fisher.
Speaker 3: So, Jennif Fisher so yeah, the Office had just started the year prior.
Speaker 1: Right, maybe two year I think two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: Was it, oh five mm hmm. Yeah, she's terrificing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was thinking this, you know, she's very good in this. But then I don't know, like she wasn't in a ton of movies. I don't I can think of well, I think.
Speaker 3: The problem there is that, like Pam is such a singular kind of character, like it's easy to see getting boxed in by that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she's good, you know, kind of the I guess the Reese Witherspoon character, right, that's right, Yeah, sort of like the virginal type.
Speaker 1: But temptation for him.
Speaker 3: This song though, where yeah, yeah, I'm gonna beat off my demons.
Speaker 1: I was like, in my dreams, I'm blowing you kiss. Oh man, you know it's funny.
Speaker 2: I noticed by the way too, I think, yeah, here where she's like sawing, and I was like, oh, that's just funny. Like them like one day they were building furniture. But then later in the movie when he gets mad, there's a joke of him trying to saw like a couch and half. I was like, oh, these guys really think sawing is funny.
Speaker 1: That's always like.
Speaker 2: Kind of a funny thing in comedic montages like a dating montage or whatever, like the stuff they come up with the characters to do, Like it makes me think of the Naked gun right where they're on the beach holding hands running, but then they like closeline those people and the hot dog vendor and squirting stuff all over each other.
Speaker 3: Catch right, like like hot shots right with yes, you know similar, it's but it's interesting because because it's it's different montage like there there's there's it's different types of humor, like this is not airplane type humor, not in the same way.
Speaker 2: No, not in the same way, right, but it's like in its DNA right, you know, that's what I love about it.
Speaker 1: It's like a combination of all the stuff we like. Right, Look how beautifully lit it is. That's what I love.
Speaker 3: Like, Oh yeah, it's a very CPIA toned you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was going to bring up Jake Kasden because he's pretty interesting his career, right, I mean he then he start now he did Zero Effect, which I've not seen, right, but then he worked with Appatoe with Freaks and Geeks.
Speaker 1: Then undeclared.
Speaker 3: Then he did the Jumanji movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so then he has yeah, you know, Walk Hard, Bad Teacher, New Girl, and then we get to these big blockbuster Jumanji films, right, so very career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I'm glad. And what's funny is if when you hear him in interviews, like he sounds just like his dad. Oh really, oh yeah, oh funny, very very similar. But I mean I'm glad that, like he is talented, right, I mean obviously there's there's the knock on NEPO babies. Sure, but you look at like a Jason Reightman or a Jake kast and and you're like, well they got the goods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know it happens. This is a good song too. This one's like really a beat.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like I had the soundtrack like it was something during Award season. You know, you'd get all these screeners and sometimes they used to give you the soundtracks like they'd be in Variety Magazine, the disc and I kind of remember like having this at my desk for some reason, and I'd put it in my car and I'd listen to it.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I have the album in my library. I listened to it all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like good, good song, catchy songs. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's you know when you think about it, right, it's like it's like the songs in South Park, Bigger, Longer, uncut, hmmm, right, Like they're good songs. What would Brian Boitano do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one slaps totally does. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, it's that same thing, like the songs have to be good, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, you know I was curious, Well I should say one more stat I had here was they wrote a one hundred songs, wow, and they recorded fifty. So that's so going back to what we were saying, you know, where this movie didn't land and the people who were involved I think were kind of like, ugh, like kind of crushed. I mean, you can tell this there was so much passion put into this, right, I mean I think about this sometimes with this is so random, but with Star Wars, where when that movie is being made, George Lucas probably thought, if I live by the time this is finished making this movie and it comes out and anyone sees.
Speaker 1: It, that'll be a success. Right.
Speaker 2: You know, his crew thought this movie was going to be terrible, and they weren't supporting him, and of course it becomes what it becomes, and there's just been a never ending supply of behind the scenes photographs and footage and whatever. And I'm like, wow, how did they know to even do all that if it wasn't even being taken seriously when it was being made. So I think about all the movies that don't live on, right, and how much they must have believed in it and probably shot this stuff because they're like, well, the fans are gonna want to see this and go behind the scenes with us, right, you know, but it just wasn't meant to be. And so I think of this movie where it's like, man, they made so many songs, that put all this effort into it, and it's just too bad that it didn't.
Speaker 1: It died on the vine. It died on the vine. Yeah, but the passion is you can just feel it well, And.
Speaker 3: You know, I think this is similar in many ways to Office Space, which is another comedy that was ahead of its time. Right, the audience eventually found it. It died in ignominious death at the box office, right, but people came around, right, and yeah, yeah, And you know this is something John c Riley has talked about where it's like, well, given the choice between like a massive box office hit and a beloved cult hit, you know, if you can only pick one, you know, it's not so bad to be a beloved cult hit where the people who love it really love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, they probably had to make a lot of hard decisions and fight a lot of battles as they were making them to make them as specific and you know, the voice of Office Space is so Mike Judge and this is so whatever, this is right. And maybe when it came out and it didn't do well, they might have thought, oh man, maybe we should have made this a broader comedy, and yeah, it would have brought more people in. But I think you know, time proves that they were right, and the right people, you know, to enjoy this kind of thing get.
Speaker 1: To enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Well, that that's the thing, right, Like, because it's it's like, how many forgettable like mid Level you know, Jason Biggs or Dane Cook comedies came out in the nineties and oughts, you know, right, just just Walmart Bargain Bin movies right that sucked and are forgotten right, right, And and you have to imagine for many of them. I'm not discounting the level of passion that went into them, but I'm also fairly certain that there was a lot of studio mandated compromises that went in. It's like you end up with neither fish nor foul, right, you know? That was so funny. She's like, don't you write a song right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Fine, I'm guilty. Guilty is charged.
Speaker 3: To where he starts yelling at the kids, I don't need you. I don't need you.
Speaker 2: Oh I guess yeah, he's got a chimp or whatever, which is like Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: So the bit here is that he went ahead and got married, not realizing that you're not allowed to marry somebody while you're already married.
Speaker 1: Right. It's very funny, I know.
Speaker 2: But it's just in his perfect sort of dopey voice where he like doesn't know any better. He's like, I did it, you know, wait until we were married, did it?
Speaker 1: Right? Can't be married to two people? That's not a bad title. But please don't leave me.
Speaker 2: I had forgot about his sink ripping. Yeah thing, the monkey. You don't want no part of this shit.
Speaker 3: He's like, the know, logical next step for you, right, I think I think what you were saying earlier about how like like people try to break out of the box of music biopicks or just buy a picks in general and do something little different, and and those movies have have variable levels of success, you know. I think that speaks to like people know what they want, even if it's utterly predictable totally.
Speaker 2: I mean, with the upcoming Michael movie, which we haven't seen yet, I could probably outline it for you right now, but like I I want to see that, right, you know what I mean, certain things I just I do want to see dramatized, you know. Yeah, so you know you just have to pick your case pack with your cases.
Speaker 3: What you realize is the majority of these films are produced with the ascent of the families and or the rights whole love music, who want to sell some music, right, you know? And and so for example Bohemian Rhapsody, how many soundtrack albums did that sell?
Speaker 1: Right? Right? Right?
Speaker 3: I mean that's the real measure of success, above and beyond. You know, Ronie Malock winning an oscar in the movie Winning, you know, like that's all fine, but but this is about it's about investing in an annuity that'll that'll pay dividends down the line. So so, I mean my point is this, like these movies are products to a large extent. They vary some I mean some some go through the paces with a little bit more skill than others. Sure, but you know, my question is how how often are they revisited? And does that even matter? Yeah, you know, like like like Ray right, which I thought was a good movie. I mean I watched it one time. I got it, like I got you know, right right right right, Like that's not even a critique of the movie. I think it does the job. But like they in general, they're not really built for return visits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm realizing that as you say that, because they hit similar beats, they're just plugged in different artists and other movies.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think of an example.
Speaker 2: But like, there'll be a certain there's certain moments that I connect with, you know, are something that meant something to me or revealed something to me or inspired me, and that's why I go back to.
Speaker 1: Those certain movies.
Speaker 2: But those movies don't necessarily do that because they are a little bit of.
Speaker 1: A mad libs satisfying mad libs.
Speaker 2: But they don't have things that are maybe very unique, that really connect with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean again like Bohemian Rhapsody. How many times have you seen that since the theater?
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, just the ones? Yeah right, yeah, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: I mean I remember leaving the theater downloading the album to my phone, you know.
Speaker 2: And then maybe when it's on TV or something, you flip and it's you you stop on it because you want to hear the.
Speaker 3: Music, that's right, you know, the thing with Bohemian And by then I had seen Dewey Cox, yes, yes, and so like I couldn't. I like, all I could see was was you know that that template?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: This cracks me up. This so first of all, to the point you're making, how how effectively stylistically it it evokes the same sequence in Ray.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But it all comes down to its either got too many blankets or not enough blankets?
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, the woman playing this nurse is very funny. He needs more blankets, he needs fewer blankets.
Speaker 3: Where Dave is like my wife sends to recards, asshole, they don't they don't even like they don't dwell on that too long that he keeps cheating with his bandmates, which.
Speaker 2: Comes from I was looking up. I thought of George Harrison and Eric Clapton. There was that whole sort of weird triangle going on there with their wives and then or whatever that was, I don't know what shape. And then also wait, I love this by the way. It feels like that was like take five and he's like, that'd be funny. But Mac Davis, who was a songwriter, used to write hits for Glenn Campbell. I guess Davis's wife left him for Campbell. Wow, and it became like this. It was like a big story. Okay, so you know, I mean there are examples of this and that's another just riff that they're doing here on Well.
Speaker 3: It's funny because this is something John c Riley has talked about where like people in the music industry are like, man, walk hard is tame compared to this stuff that actually goes on.
Speaker 1: Jeez.
Speaker 3: You know he talked about Glenn Fry being like, oh, you didn't see the Eagles and all the stuff that was going on you.
Speaker 1: Know at that time, the Eagles of all people. Yeah, that's what exactly. That's the first one I was thinking of. This is funny. They're sort of.
Speaker 2: Like leaning in and backing away over and over.
Speaker 1: There's her expression. They're so good. No, no, well, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: This is like literally Jennie Fisher talked about She's like she played it like she was trying to win an oscar. Yeah, and that's what makes it funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So she keeps like hitting him in the crotch and hitting him in the face with the shoe and stuff. People listening like, what's going on?
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Now they're basically yeah, yeah, they got this is not just a solid gag, you.
Speaker 3: Know, so do we John c Riley pulls his shirt off and we have a cutaway to a big, a muscle bound.
Speaker 1: Not John c Riley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, clearly, Yeah, like got a six pack, it's oiled up. Is this the of a Manson thing? So they're like, oh, yeah, where's doing He's Oh, he's hanging out on the barn with Charlie Manson.
Speaker 1: Nice guy.
Speaker 2: So did you know this whole connection between Charles Manson and the Beach Boys. No, So that's what this is riffing on basically, And I've kind of, you know, I'm reading off of like some website or something. But in nineteen sixty eight, the Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson, he became friends with Charles Manson, Okay, and so then he started letting like the Manson people live at his home. But they like destroyed the place, brought in all these drugs cost him like a ton of money. But as he let those people into the Beach Boys circle, they actually recorded a song that Manson wrote called Cease to Exist, Oh my gosh. Yeah, and then later they retitled it never Learn Not to Love and release it in sixty eight as a as a I guess a B side or something. So that's like a weird sort of dark footnote in the Beach Boys.
Speaker 1: Hilly Yeah.
Speaker 2: I only learned about that a couple of years ago. So anyway, yeah, Manson, I mean he wanted to be a musician. Yeah, so he warmed his way into at least one band.
Speaker 3: Now. What's also funny is that it's nineteen sixty six right.
Speaker 1: Right now in the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in this point, Yeah, it's sixty I think it's sixty six, Yeah it is. And Dewey Dewey is thirty, like right right right, and yet he's done all this living right right right, the rehab and you name it.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 2: I like that he goes through all these it's like spinal tap right where they started as sort of like a flower Power type of band before they eventually got to heavy metal. And I like that he goes through all these different genres, like this is hysterical, this is Bob Dylan.
Speaker 1: The whole Bob Dylan thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just the way his posture and the way that it looks like it's on grainy black and white.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. That's that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, it has to incredibly evoke what it's what it's satirizing, mm hmm. But it has to be funny even if you don't know specifically what it satirized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right right.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit like like Simpson's gags, which we talk about all the time, right where it's like later on, like maybe a decade later, you'll you'll get the reference. But the joke was funny anyway, totally.
Speaker 2: I saw a thing on Instagram that was trying to demonstrate that, and they were showing, you know how the mister Plow episode is based on the movie Sorcerer, which I didn't even know existed to like you know, like twenty ten or something.
Speaker 1: And they showed like side by side.
Speaker 2: They literally copy moments from that movie, but they don't need you to know that movie, right, Like they're making funny moments like the plow dangling off the cliff and Homer being able to get it to stop dangling by turning the radio knob a certain way.
Speaker 1: That's just funny. But then when you learn.
Speaker 2: What Sorcerer is, you're like, oh, and there's another layer to it, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: Early Simpsons was really good at that m right. This, I mean, this is the like I don't want to pylon modern day Simpsons, but like, you know, just recently they did they did a bit where Santa's little helper gets sick, so they take him to the vet, and the vet is basically the Pit from from the Pit, right, so you got you know, Catherine Lanassa and Noah Wiley and Taylor Dard and playing their characters, and it's like, it's like funny if you've seen the Pit, it's funny, right, But I had that thought watching it. I was like, in ten years, this isn't gonna play the same way.
Speaker 1: Mmmm. Because the joke is that it's.
Speaker 3: The pit right right now, right, and there used to be a little more layers to the humor.
Speaker 1: Well it should. I mean this scene with the Beatles, yep.
Speaker 2: You know, anyone who hasn't watched this movie, you can at least look this scene up on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Walk hard the Beatles. Yep. It's just so funny.
Speaker 2: And this is such inspired casting, isn't it Just as long as George Harrison. I mean he could like really play him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Jack Black is Paul McCartney.
Speaker 3: That's pretty brilliant.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, yeah.
Speaker 2: And they're all doing I mean, his is probably the weakest impersonation, but like it's it's right for this movie.
Speaker 1: But for this movie it works. Yeah. Yeah. But Paul Rudd is like kind of doing a funny John Lennon voice. Yep, you know, great rec.
Speaker 3: You know, apropos of Paul Rudd. I was reading a thing about how when Steve Corell was shooting a forty year old virgin, he was, you know, in the process of auditioning for the Office, and Paul Rudd was like, dude, don't don't do that. You're just going to ruin your career. No one will be able to look past the original show, right, and you talk about like the benefit of hindsight, Like, let's be real, the original show has become somewhat of a footnote to American Office.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, I mean that those things exactly you'd never know you just don't know, you know.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine if like and and the thing about that is who but Steve Corell could have could have been in that, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, and he's what Yeah, without him, maybe it wouldn't have been that right exactly. He elevated it. I mean, they all did all. They're all it's perfect casting that show.
Speaker 3: It should not have worked because because certainly I remember when it started and it was like, oh, America, they're just gonna ruin it, you know, and for once America didn't ruin something. Everybody we did not ruin the Office.
Speaker 2: By the way, I love the Maharishi where he's like, Beatles stop fighting here in India.
Speaker 3: This scene made me think of the you know, at this moment, upcoming four movie Beatles franchise that we have coming right, which one movie each devoted to the respective band members, which, man, I I have no idea how that's gonna work.
Speaker 1: Same but I would love for it to succeed. Yeah, all the same year, right, Yeah, I think weeks apart. That is just wild.
Speaker 3: It's a big swing.
Speaker 2: But if they're good, I mean, if they if they land, you know, word here do we like?
Speaker 3: What order are they coming out in?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I don't know, right, because I'm.
Speaker 3: Thinking you gotta lead with you gotta lead with your your Ringo mmmm, and then build up to your John and Paul.
Speaker 2: You know, I almost would think maybe bookend it like with John and Paul, and you get Ringo as the one that's like number three, and it surprises everyone. It becomes everyone's favorite, you know, because he's so amiable and you know, you like spending time with him.
Speaker 1: I don't know, that's just a guess.
Speaker 2: But by the way, so this riff on Yellow Submarine, this sort of psychedelic yeah, sixties animation.
Speaker 3: Have you seen Yellow Submarine?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Oh really, no, have you I have?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I saw I saw it in a film class in high school.
Speaker 1: Is it any good?
Speaker 3: It's trippy, man, I mean, this isn't far removed from from the way that movie is.
Speaker 2: I'm having I just it doesn't seem like something I would really want to see.
Speaker 1: For ninety minutes. Yeah, but I I could be wrong. It's he's a good RINGO.
Speaker 3: He's pretty good. Have you seen you've seen the other Beatle movies?
Speaker 1: Right, I've seen Hard Days Nights?
Speaker 3: Okay, you haven't seen Help.
Speaker 1: I don't think i've seen Help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've only seen Hard Day's Night. I mean, between Yellow Submarine and Hard Day's Night, I prefer Hard Day's Night. But O, yeah, they're doing two very different things.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's he's like been solid forever.
Speaker 3: You plug him in, you're gonna get a good performance. I'm just like, look at Crumb holds here and then you remember him and Oppenheimer just a few years ago. M hm, yeah, you talk about a guy who's gone from child actor. He had like a penis drawn on his face and ten things I hate about you right to now he's he's like, hey, Oppenheimer, maybe don't build the bomb? You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has like kind of a speech later in this movie where I was like, man, he's given a really good performance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a good actor. I've always liked him. He was on that show Numbers. Do you remember I remember it? I haven't seen it, man, you know, a broken record time, just creative, create a creat a procedural with something of a quirky premise, sell it to CBS, and just sit on the porch sip and mint julips.
Speaker 1: For the rest of you are someday, man, someday.
Speaker 3: It's like, what if we have a math teacher whose brother is an FBI agent they solve crimes together.
Speaker 1: Sold dude.
Speaker 2: By the way, this is like, low key, my favorite gag in the entire movie, This Brian Wilson era. Yeah, oh, brilliant, just so brilliant, like this late well, late sixties moment Brian Wilson thing where he was trying to experiment sonically, you know, and big wall of sound and so you see Dewey he's got like an aboriginal choir and goats and people banging large bells and I love I love the guitarist where he's like, it sounds like five songs on top of each other, and I mean the song itself sounds like a Brian Wilson song, like in that later kind of crazy chaotic rounding era, the Smile when he's trying to do Smile and it just kept going and going and was never finished. It's just I mean that's the thing, Like I think it is funny on the surface, but like knowing what they're doing here and how well they're doing it is just so satisfying and delightful.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, it's given I mean, it's kind of what we were saying with Simpsons, right, it's given you multiple layers to appreciate.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: By the way, we've mentioned the other band members. You know, Matt Besser as Dave. He is really funny in this as just perpetually exasperated guy.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yeah, his face says it.
Speaker 3: All yep, Chris Barno and he just explodes.
Speaker 1: And I love the Yeah.
Speaker 2: He never once paid for drugs, not once, not once. He never once paid for drugs.
Speaker 3: Daves like I have to borrow from the gym to pay for my mortgage.
Speaker 2: I love too that he keeps giving him Siamese Glass cats his gifts.
Speaker 1: I don't want anymore Siamese Glass cats. Have cats paid for drugs? Not once once.
Speaker 3: He slept with me, tookes.
Speaker 1: For ten years. No once. Oh man.
Speaker 2: But see you'll go back to John John c Riley like he's doing the comedy so sort of like Leslie Nielsen, he knows the right way to sort of well to like ring a laugh, but he knows when to be completely straight too. And he's performing in this movie. He's singing all these songs. I mean, this is a really amazing, like underappreciated performance from him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's just an outgrowth of the fact that nobody watched this movie when it came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean even yeah, it's just too bad that it's not one of the things I think that gets brought up with him a lot, because I think this is a real achievement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I remember when it came.
Speaker 3: Out, the Aboriginal singing, oh sorry, let me come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just walking into an argument, just slowly backs away, he shuts the doors, just random. When this came out, I think the writer's strike was happening, okay, or some there's some sort of actor strike or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: What was it?
Speaker 2: I was there was something and they couldn't promote it the way that they wanted to, Like, they couldn't go on talk shows. Okay, must have been must have been a writer strike then, yeah, act actress right, Yeah, writer strike was O eight, I believe, Yeah, yeah, or I think it might have started to O seven. Maybe it was Maybe it was because talk shows couldn't.
Speaker 3: Oh that's going Oh you know that that makes sense? Actually, yeah, might have might have that, might that might be it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the way that they tried to be creative and promote this was they did a tour Okay, like seven or eight stocks across the country.
Speaker 1: We talked about that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah Riley performing as do we cos juey cos I really wanted to catch it and I didn't, but I think that would have been really fun to see all these songs performed live.
Speaker 3: It's interesting how the times have changed, right where the notion of oh, we can't go on late night talk shows to promote this thing, it's gonna flop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it affects box office.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like we don't live in that world anymore.
Speaker 1: You know. That is a really good point. It's like what viral thing can we get online? Now?
Speaker 3: Basically? I mean that's all people watch, right, Yeah, Oh, let's just like eat chicken wings that are getting hot and yeah, millions of people will watch it.
Speaker 2: That's really funny because I remember with the fallon his thing kind of I don't know if he started it necessarily, but it was like the guests came on, but they had to play games.
Speaker 1: It'd be like you're.
Speaker 2: Tom Cruise and you're promoting, you know, if you're a Mission Impossible or something, but you got to get in like an inflatable pool, yeah, you know, and play some sort of game where you scored each other with like you know, greepe jelly or something like that's going on the Tonight show. Now, that's right, And then I mean that feels suited for a shorter format where it's like, well, skip the talk show, just show the celebrity playing the game, and then you get, yeah, the hot ones and things like that.
Speaker 3: Like that's that's how far we've come from the the Johnny Carson days, you know, mm hmm, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: We're yeah, we're just be Burt Reynolds and Mark Summer's yeah, he duking it out.
Speaker 3: We're gonna play the Smoky in the Bandaid Arcade game here, yeah yeah, right, right right right As Dom DeLuise is like the back just running back and forth.
Speaker 2: That makes me think of like Chris Farley, right, he's just like, wheeze, laughing.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 3: Jonah Hill as grown up Nate hilarious.
Speaker 1: So funny and he's just an asshole. That's yeah. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, like I've liked Jonah Hill throughout the years. He's kind of evolved into different sorts of things, but this moment for him, you know, super Bad, this.
Speaker 3: Pre Academy Award nominee Jonah.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's it, but like, he just really cracked me up.
Speaker 2: I liked when he was doing this kind of comedy. Well, I love the way he says machete too.
Speaker 1: He's like with a machete. I mean this is like super Bad era. Yeah, yeah, yeah, same here, right.
Speaker 3: He and he was the babysitter wouldn't at him?
Speaker 1: That was yeah, maybe a couple of years later.
Speaker 3: Right, and then Wolf of Wall Street was a twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, somewhere around maybe fourteen.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what was oh Moneyball that was twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that feels right, right.
Speaker 3: So that's when he starts moving into like dramatic actor mode, right right. It's interesting. Yeah, yeah, like he's still I mean when he does comed he's still finny. I think I think this is the end. He's hilarious. And yeah, yeah, obviously the Jump Street movies.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, those have been on Pluto lately. Oh okay, like cycling, and I always stop on them and they always crack me up.
Speaker 3: Those I mean the scene in the first one where it's they're in Nick Offerman's office and Channing Tatum doesn't know the Miranda rights. Yeah right, right right, it's brilliant, cracks me up. And then I've said this before so many times, but the scene in the second one where I iced tea ice cube excuse me, finds out that that Jonah Hill slept with his daughter, yes, yeah or no chanting, it's Tatum Channing Channing Tatum realizes what Ice has figured out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I that's probably the hardest I've ever laughed in my life. Like I thought I was gonna pass out from laughing so hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So this whole Variety show that they do, it's such it's such a perfect evocation of what you would see in that era, like your Sonny and Cher and you know, Flip Wilson and Brady Bunch of Variety show, you know, like that that type.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like taking doing covers of songs, beturning them disco.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and doing like comedy skits that aren't particularly funny.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And Johnny Cash did have a show kind of like this, the Johnny Cash Show, And I think this is a riff on it more broadly, you know, like Sonny and Share right like this. I love this these graphics, yeah, like the sort of disco starman.
Speaker 1: You know, it's weird.
Speaker 3: Because because it points to a time when TV was much more uh uh four quadrant in its approach. Yeah, and and as a result, you know, it's weird right because we talked, We talk often about how the the compartmentalization of TV has taken away the collective experience, right, So now there's there aren't these things that everybody grabthers a on the TV to watch together. Everybody goes in their own direction. Everybody has their own thing that they go into their corners, and that's that's bad, right, But also in trying to appeal to everybody, you kind of appeal to nobody. Hmmm, right, you know what I mean, because I don't I don't know anybody who looks back on these shows with like with like, oh, they don't make them like this anymore, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like do you see what they were doing here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it was on so they watched.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly right, yep, I think this is what I was talking about with Krumholds. By the way, He's just so it is great. There's a good performance here. So wait, when they were talking about the Incredible Hulk episode, was that a real episode?
Speaker 1: Did they actually have the Red Hulk in one of them episode? Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what's funny is I was like, Brian's gonna ask me if that's real?
Speaker 1: EPI Yeah, I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're my You're my you know go to for that stuff.
Speaker 3: I got you boo. Jane Lynch, Now this is this is while Lee was going on. Was it when was Glee?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: That was somewhere around oh seven or eight, because I remember I got to read the script oh of Glee. Really yeah, someone gave it to me. He was like, this is really good.
Speaker 1: You should read this. And it was before it was made.
Speaker 3: Wow, And you pulled a Paul Rudd. You're like, they better not make this show. It's gonna ruin everybody's careers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No. It came out two thousand and nine, so two years after this.
Speaker 3: Okay. But of course Jane Lynch very well known at this time for she was part of the Christopher guest posse Right, I was gonna.
Speaker 2: Say, yeah, it was a lot of people that I had sort of interacted with, like maybe maybe like a year before this.
Speaker 1: Seeing them pop up, and this was kind of fun. Yeah.
Speaker 3: This whole bit is very, very funny, where her reporter has done not even the barest amount of research.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right, right, right, like every single question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like yeah, asking about his relationship with his parents, like well, my mom is dead and.
Speaker 1: I don't talk to my dad. Yeah, but she.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny because this is definitely like her lane. Oh what she's doing here, the voice, the everything, but she's so good at it.
Speaker 3: And she's in the record Ralf movies too.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, playing well kind of contradict myself, playing a kind of a very different character and very different Yeah. Yeah, but I do like this thing that she does here, you know, this mode. It's very funny, kind of like smooth but sarcastic.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 3: To me, Jane Lynch is never better than when she says I believe Richard Kimble is innocent, but if he came to me, I would help him.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: Doesn't get better than that, I agree, I agree because you know what, when she says it, I believe she believes.
Speaker 1: It, and he believes it too. Remember he gives her that really warm look.
Speaker 3: That's right. So this is this is playing off in in ray where he sees it. I mean, he doesn't see his adult brother, but he sees like the ghost of his brother.
Speaker 2: You know what's amazing is I was like, has this walked the line? Like I don't even remember? Like it's because I do remember he has a brother that dies. That's where the wrong Kid Died comes from. Is his dad actually has played by Robert Patrick, I think and walked the line Robert Patrick, Yeah, says I think he says like the wrong kid died. And I love that they just like keep having the dad repeated over and over in this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not generally a thing a parent should say to a child.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Nah, I'm no expert. Hell, he's singing the wrong kid died. He's really good too. I don't know this actor's.
Speaker 3: Name, the actor who plays Dewey's dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Raymond J. Berry. Yeah, I've seen him and stuff same because then I think of this movie just married the ref training Day.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's that might be what I remember him from, to be honest, but he's got he's got just an armload of credits. My gosh.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, one hundred and twenty nine credits on IMDb, you know, And it's funny. I I love when a comedy, especially like a wackier comedy like this, is trying to tell an actual story. And this moment where Dewey apologizes to his dad and wants to make amends, it like kind of like makes me feel the thing that this movie would want me to feel in this moment, like it actually kind of works. And then of course they you know, you realize that the dad has been training with a machete all these years.
Speaker 1: To battle him, to battle him. Yeah, there's only one way to settle. I'd forgotten about this.
Speaker 2: Actually, he throws some of a machete you've been practicing.
Speaker 3: But I love that him sawing himself in half is what makes him realize he's been wrong this whole time.
Speaker 1: Right, it's a lot easier to do than I realized.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's actually quite beautiful when you think about.
Speaker 1: It, right, I'm like, I'm just waiting for it to happen.
Speaker 2: Oh No, I love that it's exactly the same. It's, you know, seeing the exact same way the legs standing standing next to the halved body. Clearly the actor like standing half in the ground, right, it's the exact same shot.
Speaker 1: It's very good.
Speaker 3: See all this time. You know, do we just wanted forgiveness for cutting his brother in half? I think you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then they get their moment.
Speaker 3: And so he's like, I love.
Speaker 1: I love what? Yeah? What one more word? I love this?
Speaker 3: You're a better father, or be a better father than I was. Well, shouldn't be that hard?
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you gonna make it? It's the seventies. It can attach tops to bottoms to bottoms.
Speaker 1: I love love, you love what? Another sink?
Speaker 3: There goes another sink?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but do we miss it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: This is it demontage right where he's yeah, smashing it. And then we get the sawing thing. Oh I love yeah, clipping the feather or father flowers.
Speaker 1: His zen garden right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just love it. It's like, you know, what's kind of funny saws?
Speaker 3: We need more sawn in this movie. Yeah, this dude, the bending the spoons.
Speaker 1: This is funny. And then they do like a little crossfade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, time laps.
Speaker 1: No, he's like tired, but still bending. Each fork must be done. This is so funny, and this is so silly.
Speaker 2: You know. It's like the kids that he's not been in touch with right now, they're reaching out to him and they want to play catch with him.
Speaker 1: And by the way, do you recognize this kid?
Speaker 3: He looks familiar.
Speaker 1: I can't remember his name. You know it. It's the kid who Jimmy Olsen in the latest Superman.
Speaker 3: Oh, get out of here, Skyler Gisondo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go, that's him. Huh yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, there's something about this kid. He looks how funny he resembles somebody and I looked it up and it's him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now he's the fokker in law.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot about that. How about that?
Speaker 3: By the way, would you like when that first movie came out in two thousand, did you imagine when twenty years you'll be watching the fourth one of these?
Speaker 1: You do know?
Speaker 2: And it is the perfect series to do that with generations. That's true, and it's it's a it's a conceit that works.
Speaker 1: It's timeless. Yeah, you know, meeting in laws and everything. But by the way.
Speaker 2: I love this, but like that the kid isn't catching the ball, yeah, because he's never played catch with his dad before. It's funny and kind of sad, like it's I was thinking, like.
Speaker 1: I love this idea. It's beautiful and funny and heartbreaking, it's all of it.
Speaker 3: And then we get a nice little montage with all the kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like kind of touching for being such a ridiculous story.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Well, I think what's interesting is we're at the point in the film where you know, it's like you have to start wrapping things up right, And you can imagine the filmmakers having very serious discussions in the planning stages of like how do we want to land this plane? Like do we want to go heartfelt or do we want to go just gonzo? And they found a way to kind of like thread the needle between both.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his bus full of children, So this is like clearly latter day Johnny Cash that it's shown right.
Speaker 1: I guess I don't remember. That's good dirt.
Speaker 2: That's like such a perfect thing with like him and old man makeup, Like what would an old man say while he's like showing a kid how to garden.
Speaker 1: He like licks the dirt. He's like, it's good dirt.
Speaker 2: But like, I'm buying this old man performance too, you know, like he sells the Yeah, like even though he's done a lot of bad things, there's something about seeing someone they're older and they've kind of redeemed themselves a little bit where you just can't help But like that guy, you know, like you feel like a kind of an affection for him.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about how, I mean, you can we can expand the conversation beyond mere music biopicks to just you know, celebrity bios in general, because this is hitting those tropes, you know, like, for example, the movie Chaplain mm hmm, which you have not I've not seen. Yeah, I mean that very much follows this trajectory, although it is worth watching. I mean I think there's a lot in it you'd enjoy. It's great performance by by Robert Downey.
Speaker 1: Worth. A look, okay, I'm sure i'd like it.
Speaker 3: Like history, well, we said to yourself, right, I mean, it doesn't matter how trophy these things are, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, for sure, I think I think you would enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yes, is good older person make up too, Yeah, like they look like themselves. I'll just you know, more naturally aged. It feels like back in the day, they went really hard with actors in their old age makeup, and then when those people age, they never looked like the extreme versions from those films. I feel like they're getting better at that. They get a little more subtle because people do age a little more subtly.
Speaker 1: Subtly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't look like different people, you know, they look like themselves, just with more creases and wrinkles.
Speaker 1: He gets his smell back. That's like a runner I forget about.
Speaker 3: It's like doesn't even make sense. I mean, at this point, Dewey is only in his.
Speaker 1: Fifty I think he's fifty. Yeah, this is.
Speaker 3: Ninety two, I think, so he'll be like early fifties. Yeah, he's smelling the horseshit smell that shit.
Speaker 1: Baby. Yeah. I love what she screams.
Speaker 3: That's America. Yeah, there's her oscar clip.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Right, so now we're in two thousand and seven. Yeah, he's seventy something. See, this is the thing, right, Like.
Speaker 3: The format of these movies is that you're sort of hopscotching over their life, and I think you know you mentioned this the Springsteen movie, which I have not seen, but say that attempted to be like, well, let's just focus in on one specific era, right, which version, which approach do you think is more interesting?
Speaker 2: You know what, if I knew more about Bruce Springsteen, maybe I would be happy to dig into a moment that I'm familiar with, but like, let's really learn what that moment was about. But I'm not, and I actually wouldn't mind seeing his origin story, right, you know, I don't you How do you feel about that that specifically? I mean, which version would you prefer about a Springsteen movie?
Speaker 3: Well, I definitely agree with you about Springsteen. I don't know enough about Like I know his music quite well, but I don't know him enough. I think for me, just more broadly, when you have a film that's hopscotching over their life, a lot of stuff gets left out, Like there's more left to choice in terms of like what you what is important enough to put in and what you what you leave out? Right, and that that, to me, it is is leaving too much to the whims of, oh, we got to fit all of this into this certain amount of time, right, So just reflexibly I'm like, well, I think it's more interesting to focus in on a specific window and you can really go deep into that. Yeah, like the movie Ali is not about his whole life, for example, and I think that movie works pretty well, you know.
Speaker 2: Totally, or like Steve Jobs, which would be a bitch three specific moments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I, as far as I know, Sorkin cited this as like I don't want to do that type of thing.
Speaker 1: You know. Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the way, I love this concept right where he has been out of the game for a while and then like a younger agent comes and is like, dude, you're like a hit with the kids again because a rapper has sampled your song, right, And that reminds me of like Kanye when he did gold Digger, which sampled Ray Charles's I've Got a Woman you know right, So, like I just I thought that was clol is this being a story kind of about music through the decades. I thought that was a clever way to comment on that decade the odds. Yeah, you know what can happen with a singer like this where maybe the kids forgot about him, but people are sampling him in interesting ways and then people are like Oh, my grandpa used to listen to him, you know, right.
Speaker 1: He's punched in the mouth, Parnell leaps and hugs him. See like, I mean, just this smile. He's just happy to have his read.
Speaker 3: Can you blame him?
Speaker 2: He doesn't even open his mouth, but it's just such like a sparkling smile.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: See the whole rest of the movie we had, we've had actors playing the musicians. But now now that we've caught up to the present, here's the real Jewel, the real love it.
Speaker 2: Oh, Dackson Brown, Yeah, you're right right right right, like not Jack White playing elvis or Yeah. Yeah, And then we get Eddie Vedder here in a minute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's good catch.
Speaker 3: What happened to Jewel?
Speaker 2: Wasn't she on some sort of like American idol type show?
Speaker 1: A minute there? Not long ago?
Speaker 3: That sounds familiar, but that's gonna age me because people are gonna be like, yeah, it was eighteen years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jewel singing show, the sing off?
Speaker 3: What the hell is that?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: She won season six of The Masked Singer. Yeah in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's relatively recently.
Speaker 2: Sing off American Song Contest it's twenty twenty two. I'm not singing a year for the sing off though, but anyway, she sung in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, still doing stuff.
Speaker 2: To Meadows, still with his drugs, boner pills. Yeah, it gives you a boner, dude. I mean this is all leading like him when the Temptations, that was really fun. I gotta stay away from the Temptations and the like the VIAGRAA no, no, it's another Temptation.
Speaker 1: It's like just and then I remember it. I was like, oh, this is building.
Speaker 2: Toward a hilarious joke, the Temptations. And then you actually see the band the Temptations singing in the hallway randomly.
Speaker 1: The Temptations. They're like, what, that's hilarious. I'm glad they did that.
Speaker 3: It's such a funny throwaway gag too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think this is another joke, sort of like the Brian Wilson smile thing, where this isn't like laugh out loud funny. But this is so funny to me at how perfect this is with Eddie Vedder, like he's.
Speaker 3: Labeling each of the archetype the musicians represent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just like the type of speech that a person would give building up to, like an Icon Award, and he's like talking about all, yeah, these rock people and what figures of the Bible they represent, you know if Iggy Pop is Methuselah, and you know, like it's just it's so spot on, but it's not laugh out loud funny.
Speaker 1: It's just perfect, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Eddie Vetter is perfect too, because he's so self serious, right, Like seeing him doing this joke without smirking is I don't know, it's very funny.
Speaker 1: Well, that's kind of what we were talking about earlier.
Speaker 3: You have to imagine that the musicians, especially like really got this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, kind of like spinal tap. Yeah, and right.
Speaker 2: It's such a goofy, goofy movie, but there's something kind of sweet and moving seeing him.
Speaker 3: And Shamble on stage and yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly because we've spent all this time watching him through his life.
Speaker 2: That's it's like the weird, I don't know, amazing thing I think they pulled off.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. And what a task.
Speaker 2: Like come up with the song that ends the movie that's supposed to, you know, be the summation of his life and everything that he's learned and have it be fun but also actually sincere. And this is actually a really beautiful song.
Speaker 1: It is. Yeah, yeah, it's catchy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you'd almost forget you're in a comedy except for the stuff that they're showing you round the past, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, and the cutaways to the audience too. Wait what happens in the audience.
Speaker 3: It's just like the various reactions, reactions the monkey in the dress, and right right when I.
Speaker 2: Think if you're not watching along, you're like, you know, you know it's a comedy. By the cutaways, I'm like, oh, what do you mean, Give me an example. You're like, well, the monkey in the dress, it's funny, Wig and her husband.
Speaker 3: And and you know, the the Jewish executives. We didn't mention Martin Starr.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, from Freaks and Geeks and from Freaks and Geeks and of course Silicon Valley.
Speaker 3: Yeah uh no. But but the bit coming up where crumb Holds has a heart attack, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It such a funny idea.
Speaker 3: So this bit here with the baby coming out in this freaking horrific u this monster of a baby. Yeah yeah, a lot of these it feels like it's just a deleted scenes, right, That's what I.
Speaker 2: Was wondering, Like alternate versions where like Elvis was even more aggressive and pulls out a switch blade and yeah, yeah, it's like an opportunity to show all the things they could squeeze in.
Speaker 3: That was my thought. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's right here how his parents and Nate are force ghosts and then we cut to crumb holds and then he's so excited to join them as a force ghost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he's in the audience watching the show. But he has a heart attack and dies.
Speaker 3: Right, so he dies, which is like, that's like funny because and then he's looking at me, so he's so excited.
Speaker 1: He's like, hey, he's like look at this. This is great. Oh man, real quick.
Speaker 2: Just because I wrote them down, I was curious about other movies that had been created for films.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a what's that other other music that had been created for or songs I should say, okay, and uh.
Speaker 2: That thing you do of course, and then spinal tap of you know you got flower People's don't hinge all that, And then Beck wrote the songs for Scott Pilgrim for that band sex Babam, which is great because it doesn't really sound like Beck. It sounds like a scrappy garage band. It's pretty brilliant the.
Speaker 3: Real quick this scene right here, like, what is this where Parnell's getting shot?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you would think it's maybe they were guesting on some seventies.
Speaker 1: Cop show or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but you don't have that context, so it just looks like that happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's some fun anyway.
Speaker 1: Sorry, are you well? Yeah? Then sinks now the sinks.
Speaker 3: A lot of sks going down.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm a man of constant sorrow. You know, soggy bottom boys, Oh brother.
Speaker 1: Where art thou? Fever Dog? Still Water?
Speaker 2: Almost famous, you know, And I've never seen Josie and the Pussycats. That came up on a lot of lists, and I know a lot of people like that. Yeah, okay, I need.
Speaker 1: To watch that.
Speaker 3: I've not seen it either.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, I thought you said you did.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know a lot of people do. It's become quite a cult classic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's by the same folks who made can Hardly Wait.
Speaker 1: Oh was it really? Okay, let's check that out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of you were saying, what's the decision do you end on a sincere note or a joke.
Speaker 1: Both do.
Speaker 3: He died three minutes after this perform See, this is the thing, right, Like, I watched this shortly before I saw Bohemian Rhapsody.
Speaker 1: Oh, or I had rewatched it.
Speaker 3: It was recent enough, you know, and and so like I just I couldn't take any of Bohemian Rhapsody. Seriously, that's hilarious because it's stuck so close to the template.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, you know, yep, Well walk hard, Yeah, how about it? Yeah, man, that was really fun to revisit.
Speaker 3: Dude. I think that this is one of those one of those films that in a way, it's worked in its favor as a movie that that it didn't end up performing particularly well because because it sort of exists as this thing that people are able to discover on their own, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can share it with people, you know, the people you know will appreciate it, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's all of you. That's why we wanted.
Speaker 3: To do this, Yeah, I mean seriously, I mean I hope that if you have not seen the movie, that our enthusiasm is something that maybe compels you to check it out, because it absolutely is worth a look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just and and also not one to watch with the family. Throw that out there.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of P and I.
Speaker 1: That are yeah, yeah, just pretty much too. Who's like, oh, well they said it was fun, I'll rint it for the family today.
Speaker 3: This is not one of those seventies variety shows, So no, don't don't uh bring in little Jimmy and Debbie Sue to.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Debbie Sue.
Speaker 2: Uh. Yeah, well this has been a blast, and I was glad also that it held up for me, you know, I still found it in the same ways.
Speaker 3: That's that's a good point, yeah, because because sometimes I mean, we have the we have this conversation where you revisit a comedy you laughed uproariously at the nineties thirty years later and you're like, Holy mother of God, what kind of person was I?
Speaker 2: You know, dude, And there's nothing worse than when you're trying to share that with someone.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I mean, there can certainly be things that haven't aged well, but also like maybe it was just I don't know, you've changed, Like it seemed funny at the time, but it's not that funny now, and it's so painful trying to sit through those things where you're like.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I don't Yeah, we can.
Speaker 3: We don't have to finish this, like the person is now judging you, Yeah, right right, in light of what you've suggested they watch. Yeah, yeah, this is not that. Nope, but hey, let us know your thoughts if you are a fan of the movie, or if you end up watching it as a result of our discussion. Either way, right right in and let us know. Let us know your Dewey cock story. How hard did you walk to the to the movie theater? Statistically? Probably not hard at all, not hard enough.
Speaker 1: But yeah.
Speaker 3: You can email us your thoughts at moviefilm Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie Film Podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave a review, leave a star rating. If you're listening to this on YouTube, please hit like, hit subscribe and leave a comment there because we do read those on the show, and of course we do have a Patreon page.
Speaker 1: Bright that's right.
Speaker 2: If you head over to Patreon dot com slash moviefilm Podcast and hit subscribe. For only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done in every episode moving forward, absolutely ad free, and in addition to that, you will also find bonus conversations that we have about random topics, things on our mind, stuff that just wouldn't fit into regular episodes. Those drop about twice a month over on the Patreon feed. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show. So no random ads or interruptions butting into the conversation, which can be especially annoying. I think if you're listening to a commentary and trying to watch along. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in enable, please head over to patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and subscribe.
Speaker 1: We'd be very grateful.
Speaker 3: And with that on behalf of my partner Brian Hall. My name is Zachion. This has been our movie film commentary track for walk Hard, the Dewey Cox Story. We'll catch you next time. Thanks everybody. Oh I didn't know there was a post credits scene here?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I love it. It's like the real Dewey cos.
Speaker 3: That's so funny, brilliant.
Speaker 2: It's got like a funny voice that doesn't sound like Riley, kind of like Dylan esque.
Speaker 3: Really, I had no idea there was a post credits scene that's hilarious.
Speaker 1: It's just clever.
Speaker 3: It's a very funny bit because you see that in those types of movies all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What