Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most prized possession as.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. Yeah, Mike Quinn, you're Mike Quinn. You're still Mike Quinn. I am Mike Quinn. I'm bad. You look a little like Tyson. Get a little old and beat up. Yeah, gotta gotta throwing the same soft punches too. Yeah, I'll ask you. You sell Afi, but I know you probably didn't take got henry behind the board saving me. Yeah, you gotta show up tomorrow, man, I need gotta say save me with tomorrow. Welcome everybody. I hope you're listening. And there was a lot to keep your eye on the ball last week football men's hoops, women's hoops, Tyson, although there was no balls unless you saw the netflix and he had his rear to you, you didn't get you know, he was talking away, working away. People were freaking out. Didn't didn't see that? Yeah, so thankful. Yeah, did you. I guess people in the building I was talking to them. They didn't. I guess. I don't have Netflix, nor do I care to have Netflix. I guess was free and it's and it did it? Did you watch it? I watched clips of the fight, okay, and the one punch or two punches. Well, yeah, it's so I saw. What I saw, you know that really threw me was uh, he he ducked down, he threw he threw a punch and came down. And this is very typical Mike Tyson where he was lined up underneath and he was ready to take this humber cut right, and I've seen him drop guys like that, and he never threw the punch, and it's like it wasn't in the script. I know. It's one of those. This this is one of those. You know. It was like an NBA All Star game. You know, let's not get anybody hurt, you know, let's let's just take the money. And that's great analogy. You'd be good at this. If you're good at this, probably I could probably do this uh radio stuff for a living. Maybe if you just gave me a back and forth. Yeah, how come you don't give me the back forth? You like? Outside of you give you the outside of this reading this little room here. You gave me so much crap, and now you kind of like, oh, yes, mister Rivera, you intimidate me, you're you're my boss, and I'm getting paid nothing for this. Well you better get a new boss. Yeah. I won't even guess they get paid my value, but the yeah, I get a I'll give you plenty. So we're gonna we're gonna talk about a lot of different things. You a hoops, you women's hoops A little. It's overreaction Monday. There's money to overreact. Yeah, even even on Friday. Hey, by the way, thanks for your tickets. On Friday night, I loved uh snobbing it with the hooligans of the Sands Club. I was, you know, being the mayor. Hey, hello, hello talking everybody? Aren't you you know you're not. I'm sorry, Yeah, you're you're No, I'm not that guy. You look like somebody. It looked like somebody. I know. It was the SATs Club band. Man if I hit the lottery, that's how I can. Was it pretty crowded up there? It was very Sometimes it doesn't get very crowded up there. That was well, it was I think that because they won once a basketball game, and was it was a game? Was a game really well attended? I mean, no, no, Henry, come on board here, pay attention to me for a second, Henry football. No, nod.
Speaker 3: Did they announce They announced thirty eight thousand, but it was only like.
Speaker 2: I'd say thirty at the most. It was like even less. Twenty twenty did not?
Speaker 3: I mean where I said, I can't see the upper.
Speaker 2: Deck, but from the back it was it was battering.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's what I okay, No, it's twenty five, maybe twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I didn't really. I paid attention, but not to that extent. Maybe twenty five. Yeah, there's a lot of people in said, well, yeah, when we were watching, we were catching glimpse of it because, uh, you were not in town. We were in a bar. Well, okay, we were in the library's. We were not in Allan. We were in town. Though we were in town. We were in town. We're having beverages. You said, fifteen game? Are you kidding me? Well, how long were you in the bar?
Speaker 4: Oh man?
Speaker 2: What's that? How long were you in the bar too? I'm not going to say so you could be No thanks, How'm not gonna argue you giving me no watch. I watched. I watched a lot of the basketball, and I watched the uh uh football football some of the football, and but you know, it was one of those things that's like the first thing we noticed was the fact that, like the stands are pretty empty. But I guess you know you're gonna play an eight to fifteen game on our Friday night. They're thinking like you, they're thinking, what the hell am I going to be here? And I got I left that halftime because to me, it was kind of boring. But I got home and I had plenty of room to spare to watch the second half, and it was into eleven fifteen ish. I'm thinking, who's watching this? Yeah, right exactly? I mean, yeah, who's saying? Could you imagine like all the East Coast people, I mean, well, they're not watching Arizona football last day? Surely that's Henry. You're Houston. What about Houston? And who's Washington? Houston? Come on, I bet that people in Houston aren't even give you the question. I asked Henry, and I'm not sure he even answered me. On the way here, I'll give you and I'm gonna ask this that Brian Peterson. Our first guess, Yeah, a couple of Washington. Arizona played very well. Houston is not very good. They didn't play very well, or a combination of the two. From my perspective, I think it's the combination of the two. I think Arizona put a lot of things together that they have not been connecting very well. It look different. Yeah, they And you know the other thing is they did have twenty three rushes. Okay for those of us who say we have to rest thirty times, you and Jen, Yeah, they risked twenty three times and we won handily. Yeah, well they were able to. I mean, what did you think.
Speaker 3: Henry, I would honestly say more just Houston. I mean they turned it over at the goal one and they there was an interception, there's fumbles, They had a pun return touchdown that got called back. They had a lot of I mean, what was the final score, twenty seven to three. Yeah, could have been twenty eight to twenty seven if they capitalized didn't have these mistakes. Yeah, so Arizona did a good job of capitalizing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what you do. So yeah, I'm not a we didn't get those breaks, Okay, I mean we didn't have. We weren't playing the defense that we played at the beginning of the year, right, we were soft in the middle. We tighten that up. Yeah, I'm not gonna poo poo the victory because they needed it no matter how it came. Right, never never turn away of victory. Yeah. Yeah, So there's no apologies that they want what they want and let's move on from it. Now, that's TCU, then ASU and then it's over and then you can kind to reevaluate the game over the season. I should say, yeah, how about Arizona State? Though, I mean, wow, this is a Tucson basis, it is a Bay show and we're going to play Arizona State here pretty quick. And oh we'll get there when we get there. But you're right, I mean, come on, they're the Arizona of last year. Yeah, well, yes exactly. And then they're there are I think they're playing a way above their head uh uh, fighting fighting above their weight. But did you think Arizona was doing that last year? Yes, yes, I did. To be fair, To be fair, I think they were. I think there were a lot of people that are like, they're not real Well, Jay was Jay was waiting for it to collapse and it guess what, it didn't collapse, So so more power, more power to them. Uh no, let's see what happens with the issue. But they you can't poopoo what they're doing because they've done really they were picked last in the league. Yes, I know that's the thing about it. I mean, they're doing it smoking mirrors, but they're but they're winning and they're and they're real and they're they're beating some teams yeh, which is pretty pretty interesting. And speaking of you want to talk about the basketball. Yeah, yeah, we'll get to that. We'll get we get to Bryan Peterson. So let me just identify who's coming on the show. Brian Peterson from as He Deserts Warm, one of our regulars, come in to reevaluate what happened. Uh let me let me tell everybody. Now, I'm not going to be in on Thursday and Friday, long days for me at my other position at the tour, So we're starting that on Saturday, so I can't have time to come in here and do the show Thursday and Friday. So we'll talk about the Duke game too. On Friday, Brian Peterson comes in in about ten minutes, we'll talk all about that and review and then look ahead on Monday, and then on the second hour, we're gonna tackle more football with Victor Yates not so much an apologist but former u of a guy. And he's been very away. You with him the first time, yeah, I think so. Yeah, and he was very very good, you know, very good in respective put in perspective, not so much an apologist, but kind of a realist. And he has been telling people relaxed things are going to be okay. And over the weekend, guess what he said, relaxed things are gonna be okay. Well, and you know, I think that you know, maybe they're putting making some connections now, I mean that's you know, it's well, you can only beat a team, yeah right, you know they they beat it. I mean they're they're Houston is a Division one football game, okay, I mean and one football team, so it wins a win. And to beat a team like that, I mean, this wasn't a fluke win though they to put in perspective, if there is some perspective. They beat Kansas State the week before. Yeah, so, but then I issue be Knis State now. But you know, what I'm saying, it beats the alternative. That's yeah, sure, I mean yeah, it's it's better than losing. Well. The funny thing is that I heard somebody say today, oh, he's the Morning Show, The Morning Show with Ali and Justin, and I didn't hear this. But I'm not on Twitter because I hate I hate the thing only because people go crazy on it and be stupid. But some of the people, the fans, were upset it with the wine. You know what, why why how could you be upset because it makes Brennan stick around? Yeah? Right, yeah, oh we can't fire right, that was the I'm thinking. Yeah, it's exactly. It's like, if he keeps winning, we'll never fire him. Jeez. Yeah, this is mindset, their mindset. Yeah, I mean we still I mean, you know, I don't know. Maybe this is one of those things that we can, you know, even if it's not till next year, even if we lose the last two and we come back and then next year we said we sit there. Maybe it's something to point to and say, Okay, it's the take off. Okay, remember that game we put it together. Let me ask you something. Yeah, yeah, let me. I'm gonna let me get to my questions, let me alone. Uh so, I'm a sportswriter, right, so that's one of the questions I would say, ask you, so you think you can kind of build off this? What's the obvious answer? Yes? Sure, But do you really think you know how many times people have said yes and guess what happens? Nothing? Oh? Yeah, no, No, what are you going to answer yourself? No, I don't think it's not a great question or whatever. No, I don't think so we just won the game. I don't remember any coach telling me this. Of course it's a jumping off point. Well until it's not. But they're not going to come back and sit there and go, well, hey, Steve, that's a real stupid question. You know, they're you know, of course they're gonna say yes. They're not going to say no, I don't think this is a jumping off point. They're gonna say, yeah, it's jumping off point. And they're because they're mostly because they're hoping it's a jumping off point. It's something that they can sit there and go, Okay, guys, remember when you made the right play. Okay, maybe we can make the right play jumping off point right, sure, I mean we start having success, success breed success, we can continue to have more success. I do think success breed success and I do think and I know you're not a big fan of momentum momentum, but I think that if you are successful, then you can feel in sense more success. I think, in fact, I agree with you and they're on that point because it's confidence. To me, I won't we can do this. It's momentum is kind of like confidence. And I believe in confidence more than momentum because once you start getting that, it's hard to stop. I mean, the opponent to stop. What do you think ASU has no one believed in them? Now they're beating teams and guess what they're gaining confidence momentum court. But if you have confidence, you know you're right on that. I will I will give you that, the fact that you know you play with more confidence now the court the question does that when does that become overconfident? Over confidence? And then that hurts you kind of going down. I'll give it. I'll tell you where you watch buy U. Yeah, okay, So they were pretty damn good for a long stretch here, whether it's momentum or whatever. They are another team that wasn't really thought of highly, and they were undefeated up until this weekend, right, and they played a less what we'd assume is a lesser team. Sure, and you you coached, you know the situation. I believe that they went in it's these guys, cantas we got we can beat them. We can beat then no big either at home in our place. Blah blah blah. We've done we played better in one and they didn't show up. I didn't watch a game, But how many times does that happen out of ten? Yeah? No, Well that that happens. It's tough to go through a season undefeated, which you can tell because now we're down to three. But but they had a lot to play for. I mean, how do you not take a team seriously if you have a lot to play for. I'll tell you when you say a lot to play for. It if they thought that they were just gonna be that that they were gonna win. They went out there and thought that they were gonna win, and they're they're like, well, okay, we're just playing to win and we can win. Let me I'll say this because I've covered enough of these to know this and that's why I bring it up. I've covered you a basketball for thirty some years, directly for twenty four to twenty five. And how else would you explain first round losses? Oh? Yeah, no, absolutely, we're just and not just one, not just two, not just three. Yeah, right, just going in and thinking, just going in thinking we got this. Yeah exactly, We've we've been told we're so good. Yes, we are so good. We're so much better than this other team. Eighteen and a half point favorites. This gonna be great, it's gonna be really fun. And then and then it happened. And then by the time it's over, you figure at some point someone is gonna sit there and go, hey, remember last year you know, yeah, or this year? So speaking to that, you know, the Virginian Purdue are two good examples of Remember last year after losing first as a one seeds, as overall one seed, they come back and win the champ in the title. Well, Arizona's the only the one team that's lost to two A two seed twice, two seed twice. Yeah, absolutely, the it matters. Now here's a question for you. You mentioned b y u h. Maybe the Big twelve is not that good. Maybe they just got a lot of mediocre teams and there you have it. Maybe I don't know because I don't follow it as closely. But if a issue has a chance to win it all after being picked sixteenth, and they do, they do, and they do, and then there's who Colorado, Colorado is up. And then just last year at this time, people were saying Dion's a joke. I'm not sure they're saying that now. Not a lot of people. Yeah, because he's there may be a lot of people ruining against him, but there's not a lot of people that are mouthing off now. Right, we got to go right, Is that Henry giving me the snake eye? Okay, Henry, Thanks, We'll take a break and come back with Brian Peters.
Speaker 5: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resource, Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready Enterprise so Fasco Yuki Trye.
Speaker 6: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instack cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 6: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and talk it all off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 7: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 8: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health leading.
Speaker 2: Edge and exercise equipment. On twenty second, just west of will nine.
Speaker 9: School and the fall sports season are in full stride. Time to get that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps.
Speaker 2: Shorts are long sleeve follows, and why not.
Speaker 9: Get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season. For over one thousand fun items to choose from, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street.
Speaker 10: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizonna b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity to commit to lyricyn credit rates and avaiable loan programs or SUFIC to change the nun notice.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 9: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at a chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot com or visit them on eat Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust showtime cards for their passion.
Speaker 7: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter the credit score.
Speaker 2: You can borrow better with peeramid.
Speaker 7: For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 11: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Want to build your business better. There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth to the twelfth at Casino del Sol. Meet thirty five premier speakers including UA All American, Ricky Hunty, Hall of Fame coach, Mike Hendrea, CEOs and more. Expand your professional network, explore new opportunities and learn from industry leaders. Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference. Once again, that's at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference.
Speaker 12: This is I on the Ball which Bara on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio while just search Eye.
Speaker 2: On the Ball. Hey, welcome back to Why in the Ball Hero Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve bar You're Mike Quinn. Yeah, still am still I'm now remember my name? Yeah, you're Mike. I don't remember names. Now on the phone, we have Brian Peterson from asydisnerts warm dot com. Brian, how are you? I'm good? I can attest that you don't remember names? Well, you wait time out. In the last press conference, you've misspoken him and Tommy said, uh, could you? And then because you misspoke about the player and you.
Speaker 4: Know, uh yeah, yeah, I was doing my exactly exact thanks.
Speaker 2: I feel loved. I feel loved on the top of this. So where do you want to hear from Brian? Yeah? Yeah, bro, he says, it's say good to hear from you again. Yeah, Steve doesn't appreciate you being on, but I do. I want you to know. Hell no, hell he knows I do. Yeah. So again, Brian, you want to start Friday with an impressive way, Let's start Friday football and then we'll go to basketball and then talk about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, start with the thing that that doesn't have the fan base.
Speaker 2: Al yeah, well that's too sad. So overreaction. Monday, I asked the guys here in the studio, did Arion want to play very well? Or is Houston not that good? Or was it a combination of both? What was the what's the answer? Take your time? Did I lose you? Do we lose him? He's not on? Oh? Brian, can hear us? Did you mut right? We can't hear you? Yeah? Some of your best stuff exactly great insights. Can you hear us? Let me have the texting? No you just okay, okay, Maybe he's no that's fine, but I still want to ask him that question. Yeah, well it's good question. Stings because he was on and then it wasn't just good for you keep him keep on eye on him for the call as you call it. Okay, Hey, yeah we lost you can you hear me? Yeah? We lost? So did you have the question? Was Oh I heard the question?
Speaker 13: Well yeah, yeah, okay. So I think it's a combination of the two. I think Arizona had one of its better games. Houston is not really that good a team, but I mean Arizona needed to play well against anybody to show that they could still do something for the rest of the season. I think Arizona has had its best performances this year when it's had extra time to prepare. You had the season opener against New Mexico, you had after the bye against Utah, and then after this buy against Houston. It's it's a shame that there are no more buys left. They have to now show if they want to make a bowl game, that they have to be able to do a one week game plan and not a two to one hundred week game plan to uh be able to beat a team.
Speaker 2: Right. So is Brennan's playbook. Brennan's playbook isn't that complicated? Is that what you think is they just can't weeks nine weeks into the whole thing. Yeah, but you know, a complicated playbook. I mean, you can't have that.
Speaker 4: I mean, why are they No, it's I mean, I think it's just pure coincidence, but that that those are.
Speaker 13: The case because I mean, you you're always looking ahead at future teams. So it's like they would have already been thinking about TCU before this game.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 4: And I think it's it's more on themselves.
Speaker 2: Than on the opponent.
Speaker 13: It's not like, even though they've they've been beat soundly in some of these games, I don't think it's because they they came across Oh wow, we don't know how to stop UCF, like they knew how to stop them, they just couldn't or b YU or Colorado or something. And I don't think necessarily the extra time would have mattered. It's also these are like it's turned out to be some of the worst teams.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: One of the teams that Arizona.
Speaker 13: Has beat this year have a winning record other than NAU and pretty.
Speaker 4: Much every team they've lost to has a winning record, so I think that comes down to it a little bit as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So what impress you the most? I mean I went to the game. I didn't cover it obviously, but when they connected with Fafida and team mat on that first long bomb or whatever you want to call it, I'm thinking this is different. Yeah.
Speaker 13: Well, and that play, I mean that is the old Aaron Rodgers special where you draw the opponent off side so you get the free play and you can just throw it up there because you know that at the very least you're going to get five yards and.
Speaker 4: Replays it down. But that's also one of those.
Speaker 13: Examples of how Facida and Temac know each other so well that it's like, Okay, I could just throw this ball up there and he's going to get it.
Speaker 2: You know. They tried that in a couple.
Speaker 4: Other instances, maybe along the sideline and all that.
Speaker 2: And he was off.
Speaker 4: But it was good to be able to kind.
Speaker 2: Of see that pop up again. Yeah, yeah, no question. What other things happened that well, Henry brought up a couple of things that they took advantage of Houston's mistakes too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think the defense played very.
Speaker 13: Very well in terms of being able to Like, they knew that the way to beat Houston was to keep their quarterback.
Speaker 4: From getting loose, and because he had kind of had some big runs in these last.
Speaker 2: Few games when they had won three or four, and they.
Speaker 4: Pretty much kept him in check and they essentially overloaded the box to force him to.
Speaker 13: Be a good passer, knowing that they had someone like a Tacario Davis that.
Speaker 2: Would be able to take out their best receiver and all.
Speaker 13: That, and I didn't take the Houston quarterback was nearly as good as people have thought he had been. He seemed more like an athlete than a quarterback. But Arizona was able to just completely neutralize him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And then the defense, the defense stepped up. I was, the defense does what it does, but the offense, you know, finally kind of came through.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 2: You talked about the rushing game, Yeah, I mean, well we only had twenty twenty three rushes in the game. You don't count for feita, you know, in being sacked or anything. But it was like it was a you know, we did pretty we were pretty effective. Said they went to started trapping, which they hadn't done.
Speaker 4: So yeah, they kept saying today in the press conference.
Speaker 13: There was the mention of just the use of the counterplay that was not necessarily part of the game plan to going in, but then they recognized it was something that was going to work against Houston.
Speaker 2: And you know, for a team that.
Speaker 13: Only averages about one hundred and ten hundred and twenty rushing yards a game, whatever Arizona is, they have four fifty yard runs this year and Kali Conley has I think two of those, and so that they are able to break those up there, they're essentially this was a game where they were going to run. They were still gonna run even if they were struggling with it, because they needed to try to stay honest. And I think against TCU, running the ball maybe the way that they stay in the game, because that is TCU's weakness on.
Speaker 2: The defensive ends.
Speaker 4: It's when they are.
Speaker 13: Forced to, when they fall behind and all they can do is throw the ball, that they really don't have any chance of catching up because then everyone just brings the house on their line and their line.
Speaker 2: Can't hold up against that. Yeah, they've become particulable. I know we're well beyond the stage of hypothetical because we're like, you know, twenty weeks into the season, but how do you think, how do you think the kids from New Mexico the running back would have maybe changed the course of.
Speaker 4: This Oh, it would have been a completely different scenario.
Speaker 2: I mean he started the first game.
Speaker 13: He ran for like one hundred yards in that game. At the very least, there would have been more variety with what they were doing with the run game. I think Quali Connley still would have been a big part of it, as and Grisono would have been, but just to have that more variety, I think that to Corey Kroftky Merritt was going to be more of the physical, bruising guy that could wear down defenses. They don't have the other guys aren't guys.
Speaker 4: That you you know, can essentially call on to be that finisher in.
Speaker 2: The fourth quarter.
Speaker 13: You know, last year Arizona had the three different running backs that they used a lot, and DJ Williams would kind of be the punisher in the fourth quarter to kind of put things away. And so without having that, it really.
Speaker 4: It took something away from it. So it's definitely disappointing, you know that he was not able to play this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a guy that likes to engage with the fans and kind of get him off the ledge on the interweb or.
Speaker 4: You know, well I like to put him on the ledge and then take them off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the fire starter and then he has the you can of whatever. H So, so what was the situation after the game, let's taking the people to the edge.
Speaker 14: Or what was it.
Speaker 8: For football?
Speaker 4: I think there's you. It was a weird dynamic.
Speaker 13: You have some going, hey, it's great to see them kind of do this, let's let's finish this strong. Then there's the others that go, it doesn't matter, this season is terrible, And then there were still actually a fewer like this sucks. I didn't want them to win because I need them to lose all the games.
Speaker 2: So that they really feel forced to make a.
Speaker 13: Coaching change, which I still think is just absolutely insane that we're even considering, we're discussing the concept of making a coaching change after one season in football. But they're the talk and all that is out there, so there probably was. There was also maybe a fourth of well, I don't care, it's basketball season.
Speaker 2: So you know, we talked about that before you came on, just about people who hope for the doom and glue so they can get rid of him. Let me let me ask you, because you know the fan base and you're a student, all that stuff, you've been here. Well, now, well, all the people that are posting or you getting reactions from, how many of those and I'll say, well, let's say a hunter, just just to give you an even number, are actually helping contribute to you have a success. And I mean that by opening their wallets or tickets or whatever.
Speaker 4: Less than five percent.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean no, the chat room people, the comments section people, the perpetually online people, they're not They're not at the games. I mean, if you're at a game and you are tweeting at people, then you're.
Speaker 4: Missing out on the experience.
Speaker 2: Of being in the game.
Speaker 13: You're not traveling on the road with the team, you are not donating all that.
Speaker 2: Kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: And like, yes, the number was down for the attendance that that.
Speaker 2: Was to be expected.
Speaker 4: Friday night basketball is playing so many different things.
Speaker 2: I think if they were nine.
Speaker 13: And oh, it still would have been a pretty weak crowd considering all the circumstances. So, yeah, those are the vocal minority if you will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's the squeaky wheel. I get you because I feel the same way. I don't know if it's five percent, but it's somewhere in there, because it's a squeaky wheel, just and really have nothing at stake at it.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, I mean yeah, it's not like people.
Speaker 2: Comment if you complain about you go ahead, right, yeah, no, no, no, And.
Speaker 4: That's kind of it's but like you'll see like at other schools where you're hearing about trying to push.
Speaker 2: Out a coach and all that.
Speaker 13: You'll hear like that they are flying a banner over the stadium.
Speaker 2: Or that there's.
Speaker 4: Billboards like those things sound like, okay, there's.
Speaker 13: A lot more involvement. This is just people griping online. I mean, there were people in the first half of the first game this year when they were winning and on the way to scoring sixty one points where it's like, you need to fire this guy. So I still remember the first year of Tommy Lloyd. They started what ten and oh, and they lose an overtime at Tennessee and there are.
Speaker 4: People in our mentions going, I don't think he's the guy. So that's just always going to.
Speaker 2: Be there, right, Yeah, okay, let's transition to basketball just because so I'm sure you saw the game on video while you're watching football. I know, I know, idea, it happens. Stuff like that happens. We've seen it happen a number of times. Luckily or whatever. Luckily it's in November and we realize it could happen again. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: I mean it's the earliest Arizona's ever had a season ending loss in the last few years.
Speaker 2: That's a great look.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, no, no, I mean if they lose to Doo, they'll be like, well, that's their second season ending loss.
Speaker 13: And I mean the game matters only from an experience and you learn from its standpoint. I had some people that were mad because Hommy Lloyd was like, I don't really care about going undefeated. They're like, why isn't that a goal, jes that hasn't happened in forty eight years in college basketball. Stop with the ridiculousness of it. You look at the game, you look at the challenge.
Speaker 2: You're not going to get.
Speaker 4: Those challenges by just playing a bunch of shlubs.
Speaker 2: At home, right, And yes, you like to win these games.
Speaker 13: But now they've been part of a game where every single thing in the world gets called and they never adjusted to it as the game went on. And I think that's what Tommy was most upset about, is that they didn't adjust to the way the game.
Speaker 2: Was being called and how all that.
Speaker 13: I don't really have any major concerns from that game other than, you know, missing some more free throws. But they out rebounded them like crazy. And I mean they were down.
Speaker 4: By what in eighteen in the first half and then.
Speaker 13: Hide it in the second half. So there wasn't It wasn't a terrible performance. It was a second week of the season on the road against a good team performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the one thing, the one thing that concerned me, and it wasn't a concern. It may not be the right word, is that. Well two things that they gave up one hundred that rarely happens. And to Caleb Love didn't respond like he should And I couldn't tell you how he should, but you know what I'm saying, he just kind of like it wasn't the Caleb Love was seen.
Speaker 13: No, that was I mean, he took himself out of the game pretty early. And yes, you always hope that as they get older and more mature.
Speaker 2: That those things don't happen.
Speaker 13: But we don't know what was said, what happened between them, but something about that interaction that he had early in the game threw him off.
Speaker 2: And he was not able to get back onto the page on there.
Speaker 13: But he's not the reason they lost the game. I know that ended up being like a seven point play, but again they came back and tied it.
Speaker 4: It was an overall situation where you know, who knows if if that game, if they call only two thirds of.
Speaker 13: The sixty three fouls, how different the game might be. And I'm not just meeting like who made the fouls, but just the way things change all that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've the two of the three guys on that officiating crew.
Speaker 13: I'd never heard of before, so like they had no idea how to deal with with the way that game was officiated, and they have to look from that because you know, if anything, this is kind of a preview of what they could be expecting in the Big Twelve, where they're going to be playing tough teams on the road, might have weird circumstances and they have to learn on the fly and adapt and a trust.
Speaker 2: Right, there's the thing. There's also Oh and it doesn't really help you if you'd let a guy score forty something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it doesn't.
Speaker 13: And I think the bigger issue is the fact that they let that guy get to the line like twenty two times. So whatever he was doing to draw fouts, he just kept doing over and over and over again, and everyone.
Speaker 2: Just fell for it.
Speaker 13: I can't imagine that that was just him tricking the officials ten eleven times, whatever it was. You don't accidentally file the same guy that many times. You're doing it because he's beating you in a certain way, or he's drawing, luring.
Speaker 2: You into that play.
Speaker 4: So Tommy always talks about teaching moments.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there was tons from that, and now we.
Speaker 13: Get to see if it will trans light into this next game with Duke being here. That that brings in the element of there haven't been back to back losses under Tommy Lloyd, in fact, when.
Speaker 4: Even when he was an assistant coach.
Speaker 13: It goes back a few years before that at Gonzaga, but at Arizona he had not lost consecutive games.
Speaker 2: And now that's a very distinct possibility.
Speaker 11: Here.
Speaker 2: I said it on Friday, They're going to be duke. They're going to be duke at home. Yeah, well, I wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
Speaker 13: They also, under Tommy Lloyd, seem to have some of their best games immediately after a loss, which is why they haven't lost too in a row, and so you would think that there would be a motivation from this. But there are new players on this team, so we don't know if they have the same kind of reaction.
Speaker 2: To a loss that a.
Speaker 4: Pella Larson or an Umar Bollo or a Kisha.
Speaker 13: Johnson or Ben Mather and any of those guys had in the previous years. We don't know how Trey Thompson is going to react to Toby o Waka or Anthony Doll or so because we haven't seen them after a lot.
Speaker 2: This is very intriguing. Isn't this how where Caleb Love needs to step in. I mean it's one thing to say, okay, you're hitting shots at the end. It's one thing to say you're playing defense, which have not really seen him do a lot. But the leadership, the leadership, I mean, who's providing the leadership on this team at this point?
Speaker 13: Oh no, I would agree, though, I think that Bradley and Lewis are probably more of the leaders than love is, just because of the way they've been able to kind of stay more level headed during their time at Arizona. That that's part of what they want from Love. But I think that maybe they don't want him to be the guy because when he tries to be the guy, you could get a really good or really bad right, and they'd rather just have good all the time without so much leaning on him. But he's put up great games throughout his career against Duke, so I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he has like a twenty to twenty five point game.
Speaker 2: Again, well, I hope I have a better line than years, but I think I'm going to concede your line of what was it the earliest season lost?
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, this is the earliest season ending loss they've had in several years.
Speaker 2: I hope you use that in the story.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well, I mean they hadn't lost the November game since Sean Miller's last year, and I mean you remember the college basketball season didn't used to start until like Thanksgiving week. I want to say the earliest they've lost in the season was. It was like seventeen years ago. I think they lost at Virginia to open the season, so that's probably the earliest opened.
Speaker 2: Virginia's college the the arena that night, I was there. But they also one the one that the last great Laska shootout and when they came back and they lost in the first front of the of that lost Minnesota.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that would have been my freshman year at the U of A and four that was my ninety four.
Speaker 2: Yes against Minnesota.
Speaker 4: And that was my first.
Speaker 13: Experience with how insane of a basketball fan my future father in law was, and that you couldn't talk to him while they were the game going on.
Speaker 2: And I still don't. I remember that game.
Speaker 13: Vid lived you still he talks to me more than he talks to his daughters, even though we're not married anymore.
Speaker 2: So, oh, good for you, Good for you, Thank you, Brian, thank you, thanks.
Speaker 4: For joining us, Thanks for having me, guys, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: But you got to take a break. We're a little over. Thanks Brian. Let's go sure at Arizona men's basketball fan you know it's been successful for nearly forty years now. Take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Lut, It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's loved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 15: Hi, this is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health, Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 2: In your life.
Speaker 15: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment.
Speaker 2: And training to get you started and keep you going.
Speaker 15: Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment. What's your goal a new career or career advancement?
Speaker 16: How about transferring to a four year college PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial dad available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday, Hey, Tucson.
Speaker 2: Steam River here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmond Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home? Want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you, he told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Homes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home called Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand Tuson. Listen up al tourte two.
Speaker 17: Your son is rolling in on the Vemberg TWE twenty third and you won't want to miss it. Dnahair Conditioning is proud to be a sponsor of this fantastic event, supporting our cyclists and celebrating the vibrant spirit of our community. Huge thanks to our title sponsor Banner University Medicine and are presenting sponsors Rio Nuevo and TMC Health for making this possible. So are you ready to ride? Grab your bikes and your buddies. Join DNHAC for an unforgettable day at the El Tooty Tucson. For more info, check out el Toour Day twoson dot org Tucson.
Speaker 2: Listen up.
Speaker 16: El Tour de Tucson is rolling through town on November twenty third. Banner University Medicine is proud to be the title sponsor of this fantastic event that celebrates Tucson, supports the cycling community, and raises money for great causes.
Speaker 2: You can help support the kids at Bannered.
Speaker 16: Diamond Children's Medical Center in Tucson by joining the Bannered Children's Team and participating in any l Tour event. Get ready to have some fun in support of a great cause. For more info, check out Ltour de Tucson dot org.
Speaker 12: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rovera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Wild the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, You or Mike Quin. We have Henry at the board. We've taken calls. If you can give us a call five to two, ozero four one six, seventy four to forty if you were discippled, let's there's two extremes here Arizona wins and football right, which gets everybody happy, and then you have the extreme of Arizona basketball losing, which was which impacted you guys the most. Yeah, the plenty to plenty to talk about. Call in and tell us your opinion, Yeah, and we'll hang up, which we won't hang up you know we could happen because yeah, I know if I were working the board, it would Yeah, if River's working the board, we'd definitely hang up on you. Not intentional, but the but yeah, it would be. It'd be good to hear other people's thoughts, especially about the game. And there's a lot to talk about, especially moving forward. Uh, like Rivers pickut, what's the line on the Duke game? I don't know. I think it's too early, but I would assume. I would assume that it'll be like Arizona two plus minus two. Maybe really you think Arizona's favorite Oh yeah, yeah, after they lost Duke lost it and Arizona's at home. Yeah, or a push maybe one? Yeah, it could be one even come on, yeah, I think you and like everybody else, it's Duke, great Duke. You know, it's that Duke. It's people that. It's like when Arizona went there and they I think it was like a four point game, four point Vegas game, and the Arizona played like Arizona does in November and one and one. So I'll tell you what I saw. You know, the parts of special second half and man Arizona had sometimes they looked really really good. Oh yeah, when they run in that run to tie, they went on that run. Yeah, I was like, that's who they are. We are really great game. Yeah, No, no, they are who they are. Just they shot the ball poorly. I mean stuff like that happened. Yeah, then they started to shoot there. Okay, hey we gotta call here. Who's on the air. Thanks for call and I and the ball.
Speaker 18: What's going on, mister Rivera?
Speaker 17: How you doing day?
Speaker 2: Long time? No hear from you? What's up?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 18: I'm doing all right.
Speaker 2: I get in and holler at you guys. I just heard you make a comment. Was people being out of shape about the loss in basketball? Or what are you?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 2: This is the early season loss.
Speaker 18: They need to have some tough, tough competition to get tougher and uh deal with what they got to do with their regular season, because hey, they are in a conference where uh Baylor's.
Speaker 2: Tough, Kansas tough.
Speaker 18: If Iowa stage to if they been out of shape about this first loss, they gonna get a few more.
Speaker 2: There's no question, no question about that. You sound like a former athlete. Uh well, hey, I played in my day. Well today's not that day. But thanks for playing back in your day, in your day. Give me, give me, give me your name again. I know you've called a lot in the past. Hey, my name is Michael. Michael. Thanks Michael, thanks for listening. Thanks. I think your call is spot on. Yeah, absolutely, yeah, yeah, Hey, that lows and that Lows might even be a good loss. I agree, I agree, Yeah, I think I think they got a lot out of it. Yeah, okay, all right, Michael, Thanks man, Thanks buddy. Thanks, we got another call. Yeah, Hey, you're on the air and I on the ball. Who's this? Oh weird, who's this? Who's this?
Speaker 4: Howard?
Speaker 2: Oh? Howard? What's Howard? Don't know sons talk even though they're doing really well.
Speaker 4: I know because I was watching the Suns on Friday.
Speaker 14: There was too much on, but of course I was keeping track of.
Speaker 2: Them on my phone.
Speaker 14: How they were getting close.
Speaker 2: But I don't feel as bad.
Speaker 14: Now, I'm not ready to press the George the panic button now that I heard they they went to the he went. The guy went to the line twenty two times.
Speaker 4: That's crazy, insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is something else, man. It was just they were just rushing them to the line. He had a good shot. I mean they didn't.
Speaker 14: They got to teach them not to reach, let the guy shoot or whatever.
Speaker 4: Because he's not gonna you know. So he only made eleven or two twelve baskets and he only you know, went five eleven or twelve times. He must have hit all his free throws mostly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, he was. He was fantastic.
Speaker 18: He did that.
Speaker 2: That's what you do. That's what you do in Arizona. Didn't do that enough too. They didn't hit their shots from the line, and we know historically that that's a trouble spot.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And as far as who cares about the U of A that they might have a chance to go to the blue bonnet ball or whatever, I don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean, well yeah, sure, sure, But I said this, I said this a while now, for a few weeks after the one, two three games, I said, okay, if they get six and six. But are you going to invite this team to go play a bowl game? Who's gonna work.
Speaker 14: They're not even going to b a s U. And of course I'm you O A all through and through. They're not even gonna be a SU because they've probably got a better team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's right now.
Speaker 14: I don't even care where it's played. I don't even care where it's played.
Speaker 4: They're gonna win.
Speaker 2: There's eighty to eighty two teams for bow games bowl games, and fifty one have qualified. Yeah, so I mean they may run in a situation where it's like, don't take anybody, you know, Howard? Is that Howard? All right? Thanks man?
Speaker 14: Turn off Monday, take care?
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks? So issues that Saturday or Friday the day after? I should know this, but I think it's a Saturday Saturday. Okay, so two days. Okay, you're not getting my ticket. We're finally going to get to go to that game. Normally we have to travel to my kids for Thanksgiving. I told my kids I don't love them anymore. That's what you still have them in your in your inheritance. He speaking of loven, it looks like Duke is a five and a half point favorite. Did you look? I just looked at it. Oh, duke, get that now?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I get all that? Get that now? That's that could be your money. I would hell talk to the bookie ye talks a greedo for me exactly? Or Facebook or or draft Kings. Yeah, we gotta be we gotta be careful here. My wife might be listening. It's like she doesn't listen to you at home. Must that's you on the radio. Just sorry to break. Jesus tells me she volunteld you. Well, she did want me to mention that Arizona volleyball beat Kansas. Oh yeah that week. That was a huge That was a huge huge. Did you guys go to that? Did she make you go to that? No, no, we were gone, we were out of town. Okay, so we couldn't do that, but well no, good for them. Yeah, that was a huge one. Okay, anybody one else want to call? We have about four minutes maybe, uh if you want to call, get one in real quick five two zero four one, six seventy four forty Which was more impactful the win on Friday night with football or the loss on Friday night and basketball? Yeah, you know, you know you read my story. I said, relax, it's it's November. I don't know, is this one in November? Yeah? Well again, you know, like like Brian mentioned, it's it's the learning that you're going to get out of it. It's the not well. I think the dangerous thing is is kind of is what you mentioned, the fact that we gave up one hundred points. We gave up another Another time we had a guard score forty. I mean, when we're gonna have to shut down some guards, okay, at some point play a little defense. Well that was probably Vegas. I don't know if he scored forty, the kid from Florida, South Florida or Vorder. That was, you know, the the game in Vegas, excuse me, where he just went off and kind of went a mono of mono with love and he won it at the end of the overtime. Right he didn't. He didn't get forty. You're talking about last year? Yeah, last year. Yeah, he could have been. I can't remember what he finished. It was like, so he got a lot. So I post I post this, and I love the comments that my buddies on Facebook to say. Okay, so I said, you know, they dropped the seventeen, I probably stole one of your one of your breaking news things. But you can always talk abut with that. Uh. And one of the guys says, uh, one of the guy who reads me, he says, you know, get back to me in March. I totally believe that one of the guys, oh Michael, who talks to me off off the area office, lose early, but not in March. See, the problem is these games don't mean anything when it comes to March. Because I lost now doesn't prevent your lost in March. How do I know it happens in March because he also loses March. Yeah, you also lose in March. But the other thing is this, You're gonna get used to playing physical teams. You're gonna get used to teams that are gonna come at you, okay, and you can't keep following them. Okay. You're gonna have to play some defense, tough, tough defense, and then know what the what the calls are going to be. But we are going to have to play some better, better defense. And what we played against Wisconsin. Oh yeah, but we'll get better. I think, well get better. We'll definitely get better from this. Well, you got like you like, say, we got to how much time we have a minut or two? Like yeah, a minute. Okay, So everyone talks about learning lessons. Okay, we've seen this for ages. Oh it's another learning lessons. I guess what happens you lose again the same way. It's how you play that day. Like, it's how you play that day and you and you stuff. Look at Arizona football. How many times have you seen the same thing run over? Run over? So yeah, I get the fact that it's it's like, oh, Arizona, Arizona, Arizona Zona. Every year, Arizona's got a new team. Every year they get a new team. This is a new team. This is in last year's team. There's some players from last year. But they got to get together. They got to feel feel out, you know, become a team. Uh and and play like a team in jail. The and you know they they're gonna have to play some team defense because they're certainly not playing very good individual defense. Okay, okay, yeah anyway, yeah, well that's what you learn. You gotta be tougher. I can get on the perimeter and defense. Okay, let's take the break. Henry you're in control, so let's get out of here.